Speaker 1: We did it again. We nailed another child's birthday party.
Speaker 2: Yeah, credit to you, Credit to Raffi for turning the big four zero four, big O four there. It is big O. A big year for the Red Sox that year, So that's a nice, nice year. Any fallout from the party, any takeaways from your fourth party you've.
Speaker 1: Thrown, it's the same thing as every year. First off, I do have questions for Target because usually what I do is that when my son gets gifts and it's something that he already has, I just thank the person that got on the gift. I don't say can I have a gift receipt? I just take it, put it off to the side so that my son doesn't open it, and then I'll go return it to Target and get store credit and then he has the store credit.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: What I found out this time, though, is that if you go over one hundred dollars of returned store credit in one year, you don't get any more store credit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're gonna I think you're stealing stuff and then returning it for store.
Speaker 1: I was accused, yes, yeah, and then I explained how this works with my son. Of like, I try not to be a dickhead on his birthday and Christmas. And this is the best way to do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you gotta go to a second target.
Speaker 1: No, no, it's every target. What I have to do now is give my wife some of the gifts. She'll go up to one hundred, and then I'll give my sister some of the gifts. She'll go up to one hundred, and we'll get all this back. Also, I once again come to every toy maker and just say, please stop with the stickers. No more stickers.
Speaker 2: If you're making a piece of toy that needs a sticker, put the sticker on it for us, Please.
Speaker 1: The effing sticker on it. I spend more time on stickers than anything else. And the anxiety of putting the sticker on there and knowing I have one shot at this, one opportunity, one opportunity, mom spaghetti, and if I mess this up, the toy is terrible. The toy sucks.
Speaker 2: Nothing was more frustrating as a kid then spending two three hours on a Lego build and then butchering the stickers at the end, you're like, what was this all for? I might as well throw it in the trash.
Speaker 1: Or when you were a kid and say your parents would like speed through putting the stickers on, and then your Toyle looked like.
Speaker 2: Shit, yeah, get fucking send it, send it into the void.
Speaker 1: It's not just Lego, it's everybody. Everybody with the stickers. Stop with the stickers.
Speaker 2: Just feel one good?
Speaker 1: Three? Yeah, just three. King of Queen Mill Street Entertainment.
Speaker 2: I'm go and I am Mick.
Speaker 1: And if you feel it, chase.
Speaker 2: It, if you will hold on for one second here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, whoo whoo. I have inserted this piece of audio in post. Mac has just put on a cowboy hat. Now back to the show.
Speaker 2: I can't really hear you. He did it, and this is tightly fitting my head. I gotta put the hat stretcher back on it. But I haven't worn this hat in about three years, so it's slowly condensed out. So nice stetson, but I gotta I gotta steam it and get it back in shape a little bit here, but it makes my head sweat, So I'm now gonna take it off.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'll give you a second to take the hat off, and then I'll ask you more follow up questions. That hat has now all shoot number one. I know that you've already told me this in the past. How much did you pay for that hat?
Speaker 2: So if no one's on the heard the story in the podcast. Before I ventured down to Nashville, I think twenty seventeen, and while I was on Broadway, you know that's the place where people mac is on Broadway, I was like, oh, I'm going to get a fucking sick cowboy hat here. So I'm browsing, I'm perusing. It's a two floor store on Broadway. First floor's boots, second floor's hats.
Speaker 1: That makes sense.
Speaker 2: I go up on the second floor. Some nice, like maybe forty five fifty year old woman helps me. She works at the store. I tell you want great because it kind of goes with everything, and we try a few on that was the winner. And uh there's first of all, there's no price tags on anything in this fucking store. You have no idea how much you're paying for anything. But I budgeted like one hundred bucks. I was like, all right, I'm gonna get a decent cowboy hat here. That's fine. Fun memory, fun story. We get up to the register. Meanwhile, my pal Jimmy is with me just laughing the whole time because he knows I'm fucking in for more money than I thought. And so the kid in front of me pays one hundred and like eighty dollars and I'm like, what a fucking idiots put one hundred eighty dollars on a cowboy hat? And then I'm mind you, this is like days. I'm like a thousand drinks in so I'm barely functioning. Uh, a little bit of a haze in the frontal lobe. There she rings me up and I believe it was two thirty two, two hundred and thirty two dollars And at that point your pot committed. There's a line behind you. You're not gonna leave the hat and walk away. I just spent twenty minutes in the store, so I'm like, oh my god. The minute Jimmy Hurd too, we started dying laughing. So I'm ready to fight him because he's laughing at me. And I also didn't have enough cash in the wallet because I was gonna pay cash with it, so then I had to put the cash back in the wallet, take the car down. Everyone's watching, and so I begrudgingly put the hat on for the whole rest of the day. Did not realize that in my haste. I put the hat on backwards, so I went backwards the whole entire day. Couldn't really tell, you know, the whole frontal lobe issued there. And then when we got to the liquor store in the evening, I don't know, seven eight o'clock, so I'd been wearing the half for six or seven hours. Some nice older woman told me that I was wearing my hat backwards, which ensued more laughter, and uh, yeah, yeah, that was that's my cowboy hat story. So I tried to turn it into my drinking hat. I once brought it on a plane for a bachelor party. Problem is, you can't pack that fucking thing, so then it's your carry on item. Then you just carry this fucking stupid hat around the whole time. It's really just become a burden. Now it just sits in my room. That's all it does now.
Speaker 1: All right, So two things. Number One, we did mention that it's a cowboy hat, right.
Speaker 2: I don't know we're talking about a cowboy hat.
Speaker 1: It's important to mention on an audio podcast where you just put something on your head. We're a bunch of prop boys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I might have said a cowboy hat cowboy hat.
Speaker 1: It was a cowboy hat number two. When she said the price, I would have just walked away. I wouldn't have said a word. I would have just walked away.
Speaker 2: No, it's all about honor in the moment you pot committed.
Speaker 1: When you are in Nashville, you are all about honors.
Speaker 2: The licity of the country.
Speaker 1: I'm surprised that you didn't come home with cowboy boots.
Speaker 2: No, those are incredibly, incredibly uncomfortable. Takes forever to like.
Speaker 1: Believe me, I tried them on. I like the Red Ones. Sure, sure, all right, So that was a fun story. That's a fun hat. And now let's get to the fun movie that we're gonna talk about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I donned that hat in honor of the biggest blockbuster on the planet right now, Twisters. Twisters is a PG thirteen action adventure and thriller with a runtime of one hundred and twenty two minutes just over two hours. And you if no one was aware this movie has a prequel sort of kind of.
Speaker 1: It has a first movie. This is a sequel. Why would you say this has a prequel? Prequel means that the movie came after it, it was before it.
Speaker 2: This movie has a prequel.
Speaker 1: This movie is a sequel. So it's no it has a prequel. Oh my god, that's not how it works. It's a prequel. If the second movie comes after or the prequel comes after this.
Speaker 2: One, it's a prequel either way, Shut up. Just nineteen ninety six is Twist Skew Twister.
Speaker 1: The first one was just Twister, was a.
Speaker 2: Smash success at the box office. Critics didn't love it, but it did really well. It made almost five hundred million dollars. This movie made eighty one million on an opening weekend. It's up to one hundred and thirty three million worldwide, so I think it's well on its way to matching those numbers. Are getting close to it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: On Roddy, Tskew has a seventy six percent from the critics, a ninety two percent for the audience, compared to the first one, which is sixty six percent from the critics and fifty eight percent from the audience. I say to you, yes, moviegoer, in nineteen ninety six, what more would you want from a movie than Twister?
Speaker 1: So I think the reason why this one is hitting more now is because in nineteen ninety six there were a lot of movies like Twister. There were a lot of uh spielberg esque like post Jurassic Park follow disaster types of movies.
Speaker 2: I mean, yes, it was more popular.
Speaker 1: It might have just felt like another movie in the bunch, whereas now this feels different, even though it's pretty similar to that first movie.
Speaker 2: Hear me out on this one, gu or tell me go fuck myself? Carrot signed facing the first one. Oh yeah yeah. On Metacritic, this has a sixty five. The OG got at sixty eight, so the critics agree with me. There's a little critic mac there ku. This movie is written by Mark L. Smith, who you would know from The Revenant, Overlord, The Boys in the Boat. Also getting his first full length writing credit here is Joseph Kazinski, who we know better as a director. He directed Tron, Legacy, Oblivion, Only the Brave, and of course, two years ago he directed the smash success Top Gun Maverick, which also might be an issue with perceptions going into this movie. And next year he's directing the f One movie starring Brad Pitt, so that should be a pretty successful venture as well. The director for this movie, however, is Lee Isaac Chung, who we might know from Manari. I still haven't seen Manari. I think that came out three years ago. I know everyone that'sar pretty much loved it. He also did an episode of The Mandalorian in season three, so he's doing all sorts of stuff these days. Synopsis for Twisters Go, a retired tornado chaser and meteorologist is persuaded to return to Oklahoma to work with a new team and new technologies. This movie stars Daisy Edgar Jones as Kate. She is the aforementioned retired tornado chaser and meteorologist.
Speaker 1: Just like Paxton. Excuse me, just like Paxton in the first one.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, yeah, Hacks is not retired in the first one.
Speaker 1: Well he's a retired chaser, and then he's a meteorologist.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess that's true.
Speaker 1: And then she also gets the backstory that Helen Hunt had where Helen Hunt's family dies and in this the first scene, she deals with trauma.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Is she both characters put into one? Uh? Well maybe because I could call friend's family.
Speaker 2: It had to clear the way for fucking cool guy, extraordinary, fucking top dog maybe in the planet at the moment. Glenn Powell as Tyler who plays this like buckeroo new school tornado chaser, and boy does he crush it.
Speaker 1: He's so good fucking charisma. I would say so much charisma without.
Speaker 2: Him in this movie, this movie my borderline stink.
Speaker 1: I think that you could find comps for him, like the actor. I think you could find some comps. But I think that character, yes, is much needed in this movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah Yeah. Also stars Anthony Ramos as Hobby. He's the one friend other than Kate that sort of survives that first little encounter. More Tierney plays Kathy, that's Kate's mom. She's in the movie not that much. She might have like three scenes. I thought she was great in every scene. She really added to the uh. She she rounded out Kate and she was Kate was pretty one note up until then. Harry hadn't Patton plays Ben, the journalist that's following Tyler. He was actually a pretty good character too, And I'm I actually wanted to see that storyline get played out a little bit more. And they just abruptly end that Tyler's crew here, the one the cool guys, the YouTubers. You have Brandon Perea as Boone, Sasha Laine as Lily, Tunde Adebimpe as Dexter, Katie O'Brien as Danny, and then, as Gou mentioned that opening scene team that we see with Kate and Hovey, you have Daryl McCormick as Jeb, Kate's boyfriend, Kanan Shipka, who's one of the more one of the bigger faces in this movie as Addie Segan, Nick Dodonnie as Provene. And then two more to add here is David corn Sweat aka Superman plays Scott. That's Hobby's business partner, partner, and then David Bourne plays his uncle Riggs. He's the one sort of funding their whole operation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think every character, every actor in this is pretty good. But it's definitely it's propelled by Powell.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is. It's really propelled by his character. And don't get me wrong, Daisy Edgar Jones as good as Kpe. But this movie was like more boring than it should have been. It wasn't as as it should have been.
Speaker 1: Disagree it wasn't that funny.
Speaker 2: Disagree it should have been more humor in there.
Speaker 1: Disagree.
Speaker 2: The more I'm thinking about it, and now I'm I'm about only I don't know eight hours removed from seeing it, the less I'm liking it. I still love Glenn Powell, but this movie was just like the most regular, average baseline tornado movie you could have made.
Speaker 1: I think this movie has a little bit of everything where it is simple enough for anyone to follow, but it throws enough jargon and weather mumbo jumbo at you to make you think that you're smart. Like when I walked down in the theater, I started pointing at clouds.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, that's the difference between you and I.
Speaker 1: Then I think that Powell is an asshole or a good guy. It does it matter. He's always fun. He's always fun to root for. I thought that every character had a purpose in there. Some of them were pretty generic, but that was their role. They had to play that one note character and they moved it along. I liked that about it. I thought that it was funny enough. I thought that the danger was manageable. It was. It was a disaster movie that felt pretty realistic. It's just like it's an above average storm season in Oklahoma. That's all it there is, and.
Speaker 2: Rare storm season. In fact.
Speaker 1: They're also they're not trying to shove any politics down your throat. This is void of message, This is completely we don't know what's happening.
Speaker 2: There was actually a little bit in there. I just don't think you picked up on it. But regardless of that, so is this something? Maybe this is the lenses reviewing this through. I drafted this movie. In the movie draft, I thought it was gonna be really good. I didn't think it was really good. You borderline shit on me for rafting it.
Speaker 1: Yes, that happened. And can I get the third one, which will be Twisters but with a Z and when they show it that S will spin around like a tornado and then.
Speaker 2: Turn into a Z E and Twisters will be a three.
Speaker 1: That's how you Well, you can also do that, but I do want to Z.
Speaker 2: Go back and listen to that. You borderline shit on me. Uh, you had no expectations going into this, I think until maybe like two months ago when you realized how cool Glenn Powell was, and then I think it flipped for you, and then I think you started to get a little more excited for it. So I think I started high, came to the middle, You started low, came to the middle. I'm I'm intrigued as to how we're gonna rate.
Speaker 1: I think what happened is that I came into this so middling on almost every movie that I've seen the last couple of months, that this one blew me away.
Speaker 2: Oh man, I really wanted to like it. I really wanted to like it, and not saying I didn't necessarily I wanted to love it. How about that? And I just thought it was like, Okay, it did just enough to get by. That's that's it. This was like a four and a half era Pitcher gave. Gave you up a couple of bombs. You'll live with it, get ten to twelve wins a season like it was fine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that's all it's set out to be. And it's gonna have sequels. And I appreciate Uh, Texas boy Glenn Powell much like you and I were both from Texas. Uh, he's very kind to the self.
Speaker 2: Is he from Texas originally? Yes? Texas boys from Arkansas on the movie, I don't know. I don't know who you're getting your information from. Him.
Speaker 1: You can't take the Home out of Oklahoma.
Speaker 2: Oh, I don't mind that. Uh goot, I think some of the issues for this movie, at least for me.
Speaker 1: Whatever you're gonna say, I disagree.
Speaker 2: Is the natural comparisons that were being drawn to Top Gun Maverick because of the Kazinski and Powell connections, and because.
Speaker 1: And then it's a legacy sequel.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, And I think coming out of the movie, some people were still comparing it to that, And for me, that's really wishful thinking. I think the the legacy thing ends there. Like to me, this doesn't.
Speaker 1: Come so the reason why I would compare it to that, I'm not comparing it completely in quality. I'm comparing it in It's a pretty stupid story, but it appeals to a mass crowd and it looks good.
Speaker 2: The intensity and I guess, for lack of a better word, just intensity of Top Gun Maverick is so much higher than it is in this movie.
Speaker 1: To shoots tornadoes up, no shoots fire crackers up tornadoes.
Speaker 2: I just I felt like anyone discussing these two movies in the same breath are doing this movie a disservice.
Speaker 1: Disagree, I see the similarities.
Speaker 2: I'm with you people, Okay, I guess I'm with the critics on this one. I don't know.
Speaker 1: Critics love this.
Speaker 2: They gave it a sixty five.
Speaker 1: Critics are right where they should be.
Speaker 2: Seventy six percent sixty five.
Speaker 1: I think I said critics are right where they should be on this.
Speaker 2: I think that's extremely fair.
Speaker 1: But to me, that's movie that you like, but you don't say Twisters is my favorite movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's yes, I agreed, that's what I'm saying. It's like lazy, baseline generic stuff. Yes, we'll hit the lowest common denominator, but.
Speaker 1: We need that these days.
Speaker 2: But that wasn't Top Gun, Maverick. Top Gun America was fucking awesome.
Speaker 1: Twisters is uniting the country. Everyone can get behind Twisters.
Speaker 2: All right, let's get to the fucking on a gun here.
Speaker 1: Well, no, let's do these first. This is These are my contributions to the podcast.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right.
Speaker 1: Number one tornado Wrangler. Cool name.
Speaker 2: If you could wrangle anything, what would you wrangle?
Speaker 1: That is a good question, because tornadoes is pretty cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Mmm, do you have any suggestions?
Speaker 2: It doesn't have to be a storm, it could be any anything on this planet. What would you like to be like known as the wrangler?
Speaker 1: I mean I'm already kind of like I'm a podcast wrangler. Okay, I'm an audio wrangler because once Mac and Goo is done, once we hit the stop button, I'm spat out two pieces of all audio. One is Goo, one is Mac. I need to wrangle them together and turn it into a show.
Speaker 2: Okay, well that was a good cop out answer.
Speaker 1: What would you wrangle Mac?
Speaker 2: Great question. I'll let you talk while I think about that.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm assuming fire by the way, nah Na, No, I don't want to collect fire. There was a great point made on the on the Weekly Planet podcast. That's a they've already talked about this movie because it came out in Australia before it came out here, and one of them pointed out that the way you make money on YouTube would not financially sustain Glenn Powell's team.
Speaker 2: How how is that the case?
Speaker 1: I don't because so they mentioned in the movie that they only had one million subscribers. The way that they're capturing videos and then editing, it seems like they might put out at most one video a week, maybe two.
Speaker 2: It almost felt like every day, I mean maybe every day a le vlog. It almost felt like.
Speaker 1: You have to get millions of views every single day to you know, get that monetization money. Yeah. I don't really there are more of experts on this than us.
Speaker 2: Sure. Sure.
Speaker 1: What they said though, is that you'd have to have a really big Patreon rocking a big patren, especially if you are selling merch and then using that merch money to give to the poor.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I don't know enough about it to say otherwise.
Speaker 1: So I thought it was interesting, and it blew a huge hole in this movie, and I hate it.
Speaker 2: The YouTube monetization fucked twisters up for you.
Speaker 1: I was like, I get it. They have one of those cool plaques in the back that says one million subscribers.
Speaker 2: I actually was looking for that in their little RV there.
Speaker 1: That would be great. Yeah, but then it would be like, I would like to know how many videos they put out a week. How do they make their money?
Speaker 2: I bet daily because.
Speaker 1: They have a lot of shit. Yeah, they got drones. They got all that video equipment.
Speaker 2: By the way, that is drone like crash landed twice and it was like perfectly fine both times. I didn't. I don't know about that.
Speaker 1: They have a personalized car that drill into the ground.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that might be the coolest part about the whole fucking movie.
Speaker 1: That might be the coolest part of the whole movie. I also found this fun fact when we were talking just before the movie. I was on one of those Wikipedia pages. It wasn't Wikipedia, it was like pop Wiki or something like that. But Twister the first movie, the nineteen ninety six movie is notable for both being the first Hollywood feature to be released on DVD and also it is the last to be released on HD DVD.
Speaker 2: Now I believe the first thing about DVD format. I have a hard time believing it was the last thing re released on HDDVD, considering it came out in nineteen ninety two.
Speaker 1: So maybe it was a last gasp effort to save HD DVDs and they said, all right, guys, I think we have a way to save this Twister.
Speaker 2: It would be an interesting thing to think that would save DVDs because it being the first one. I bet a lot of fucking people had it.
Speaker 1: All right, No, but it's HD DVD.
Speaker 2: Sure the cows are clearer, Yeah, right, the spots are clearer.
Speaker 1: Of course, HD DVD failed because pornography chose Blu Ray.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Love that porn runs the world Porn runs, and who runs the world porn? It's the remake to Beyonce.
Speaker 1: I thought it was the Katie Perry song.
Speaker 2: Oh, which one is that?
Speaker 1: The one that just came out. That's twelve years too late.
Speaker 2: Yeah, girl empowerment except she's talking.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's all it is good.
Speaker 2: That was my fun, right, girls, girls, girls, all right.
Speaker 1: I guess let's do the nonagone here. Fun factor. I had fun. I liked, Uh, let's predict which tornado we should chase. Let's follow that one. Are we trying to trick you? Uh? Being inside the tornado felt cool, trying to figure out the science. At the end, you weren't sure if they were gonna do it.
Speaker 2: Chasing tornadoes was fun, just wasn't enough of it. They chased like three tornadoes a whole fucking movie.
Speaker 1: Satisfactor. The movie ends on the best tornado.
Speaker 2: Oh. I was not satisfied at all by the conclusion. We go from this like action adventure movie and they try to show a little rom com thing at the end, little romance. Fuck out of my face. If I wanted a rom com, I would have asked for a rom com. I'm not here for a rom com. Twisters.
Speaker 1: Glenn Powell can do anything and everything.
Speaker 2: I agree, I agree, just not make this into a rom coming.
Speaker 1: Oh. Actually, I do want to take umbrage with the uh with the campaign of this yeah uh telling us that there would be twin tornadoes in the movie Twins. Yes, there were twins. It was a very short part of the movie where one of the twins even dies.
Speaker 2: I I went into this thinking the conclusion was gonna be two massive. It's gonna bes right light in a city, you know, and be a Godzilla level event. And it was not that.
Speaker 1: No borometer, No, I thought it was pretty even keel.
Speaker 2: I checked my phone like right around the beginning of the third act. I needed to know if we were getting there because I was getting bored. Like when she Goes Home, I was like, all right, we're really slowing down.
Speaker 1: That song plays, I'm going home, Go in Home.
Speaker 2: Tell the world I'm coming, Equator.
Speaker 1: It's better than Aquaman.
Speaker 2: Yeah it is Halloween.
Speaker 1: Will this movie wane over time? I'm not sure I will ever see it again, But that one time that I did, I had a blast.
Speaker 2: I might never watch this movie again.
Speaker 1: I just said that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, ditto.
Speaker 1: Pants, Tent City, Excite bike Mania. I enjoyed chasing tornadoes. Which team would you want to be on?
Speaker 2: Well, it's a loaded question like chasing team or Team Tornado or team Human? What tornadoes team? Or am I on the humans team?
Speaker 1: Do you want to be with the scientists or with the YouTubers?
Speaker 2: I want to be on whatever team's going to chase more than three fucking tornadoes the whole movie.
Speaker 1: I'd feel safer with the scientists.
Speaker 2: I don't know if I would.
Speaker 1: Actually, I'm not sure if i'd be allowed on their team because they're all scientists and I'm not.
Speaker 2: In the final twenty minutes of this movie, you are pretty good, like by far the best part of the movie. I just wish that final twenty was more like a final forty and it was as intense that whole time.
Speaker 1: I would say, the final twenty and then there's like a seven to ten minute stretch the end of the second act that those are the only two parts of the movie. Oh and at the beginning too, that feel like a true disaster movie, where the rest of it is, you know, just getting ready for those to You know.
Speaker 2: We needed roll in the Emeric directing this that was now he would have ruined it, would have ruined it. I bet it was a forty dogger With Rolling Emerick.
Speaker 1: He would have came in there like, what if the moon crashes to Earth? That's what I assume he sounds like about us, exactly, Max credit Union, who are you giving credit to?
Speaker 2: Again? I mentioned it at the top. More Tianny as Kate's mom was great. She was fucking awesome. She provided a much needed boost in the moment of the movie that felt pretty boring.
Speaker 1: Plemonade Mac who was given plemons and made plemonade.
Speaker 2: Oh that's what I That's that's what I answered there, or Tarny, you read it in the wrong order I did. You're right if you really fucked me there? Uh, plemonade more Tarney, Max's credit Union Glen Pole like a thousand, one hundred million percent. Glen Pole's great in this movie, and you really feel like when Glen Paul is on the screen, you're really interested in what he's doing and what he's saying. And it's I don't want to put down Daisy Edgar Jones here. She was good, but she does not. I felt like there was no chemistry between these two. I just felt like he was out of her league in every single scene, not looks wise, not talking looks here. I just felt like he did such a better job than she did.
Speaker 1: For those of you tardy to the Mac and Goo party, we rate everything on a forty hot dog rating system and mac for the entire two hours of this run time, I had a really fun time. It is a lowest comment denominator movie. It can reach out to everybody. It can make you feel smart with their jargon. I enjoyed the action of this. I enjoyed the chase scenes of this. I enjoyed the disastery stuff of this. It is it's kind of a stupid movie, but it's not a bad movie. It's a stupid good movie.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, fair, I got a good movie comparison coming when you're done.
Speaker 1: You've got charismatic leads, you've got great effects. This movie does look great. I'm gonna go with thirty two hot dogs.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, So like a like a B minus eight outitive gou Like I said, Glen Pole, I'm all in. Without him, this movie would have stunk. It just wasn't very intense, it was not fun at all. The last twenty minutes really felt pretty good, and then you come away thinking, like I wish the whole movie was like that.
Speaker 1: Would you have preferred a different kind of storm.
Speaker 2: I just wanted more storms and just wanted.
Speaker 1: More like he wanted halle Berry in this again.
Speaker 2: Also, the conclusion just wasn't very satisfying. I was like, actually invested in what they were doing scientifically and what the journalist was gonna do and say with what the shit he was doing, and then they just don't go back to either of those two things, and they just do with this rom comedy finished type thing. And I was like, come on, like they kept it platonic the whole time. We don't need this fucking thing.
Speaker 1: And I did keep it platonic. Steven Spielberg told him to.
Speaker 2: Come on, God, this movie is decent, baseline, enjoyable. I was expecting a lot more. I guess when I left the theater, I was thinking thirty one, thirty two. Now I'm thinking like twenty nine thirty. Like here, here's what I'm thinking. Jurassic World. I think I gave it thirty one or thirty two. Jurassic World is better than this. This is gonna be twenty nine thirty I'll get I'll say thirty a sea of seventy five, like it's watchable. I think a lot of people are gonna enjoy it more than I did. But for someone that was looking forward to it as much as I was, I was a little disappointed.
Speaker 1: Spoilers spoilers, spoilers, spoilers spoilers. So, first off, I like the fact that you start the movie and you think that Powell's the bad guy, turns out Powl's the nicest guy on earth.
Speaker 2: Yeah. One of the notes I have go in a positive way here is them flipping the two companies. Yeah, so that Tyler's company is actually doing good on the back end, and the storm Pars stealing land from people on the back end is just a good storytelling mechanic. I liked that that was like good motivation for our main characters. It's a classic looks can be deceiving type of thing. So I did enjoy that. What I didn't enjoy GOO is the very first storm we see Kate enter after her whole traumatizing thing first time back in Oklahoma. She drives away from the storm and in that moment, Hobby's.
Speaker 3: Like, oh man, we missed the storm, but no they didn't, because then fucking Tyler comes blasting up and goes and catches up and then joways goes through the storm.
Speaker 2: So why like that.
Speaker 1: Made no nice thing. It's because they missed the getting.
Speaker 2: The triangulation continued back towards the storm set up the car. They would have been fucking totally fine. Absolutely would have been fine. And also, Gou, I didn't really care for how long the nose her being in the cowardly lion car was, you know?
Speaker 1: Can I also, so I understand needing her because she has a great knack for how the tornado will build up in which way it'll move. Yeah, why not have her be the third person in a car where she stays in the car because she she saw her friends die from her tornado, so she still has the knack. But you're not making her face a fucking tornado, Like I understand this, Like, hey, you should face your fears. Sure, but if a shark bites off your leg, I'm not gonna tell you to get back in the ocean.
Speaker 2: Hear me? Oku? Yeah, how about you put her one in one of the other three cars that isn't the one at the head of the storm. The other three are out of the complete way of the storm. Why the fuck would you put her in the lead car?
Speaker 1: Just put her in any car where she's staying in the car, don't make her get out of the car. They had more than enough guys do.
Speaker 2: And then good. The legitimate interesting thing in this movie, and maybe this is because I just watched Civil War like three weeks ago, the whole journalism and investigative journalism thing. That's an interesting angle on how the story flips from Tyler to Kate. And then we get no nothing out of that, no resolution from that, and that's kind of tied in with this groundbreaking, fucking scientific discovery of eating up a tornado. They never get back to that. We don't see what happens there. They put too much emphasis on the Kate Tyler relationship and not enough on the actual real life thing, which is frustrating because this movie goes out of its way to be grounded in reality. Like you said, it's like a very realistic take on fucking storm Chasers. And then at the end they flip it and they have they give us this fucking boozy rom com relationship. But I really did not like that at all. The ending really pissed me off. I just would have it just felt shoehorned in there, I don't know, and it was also weird because they went out of their way to show that Hobby clearly had feelings for her too, like more than a friend, and that was just fucking weird. So then it was a weird triangle.
Speaker 1: Oh she was the only girl there, everyone has to like her.
Speaker 2: That shit just felt weird. Pick your lane. They tried to play in both, and I don't think it worked.
Speaker 1: I will say that the the Glenn Powell mobile in this is dope.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I once again I think the coolest thing in this fucking movie are Glenn Powell's trucks anchors that go into the ground. He just gets the fucking ride out the storm.
Speaker 1: Having said that, the final scene where he's at the airport and he drills into the ground, Paul Sheer should have arrested him.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I also question if those if those blades actually could have cut through the uh or maybe maybe it was probably wasn't concrete, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Speaking of Paul Sheer, by the way, Sheer claims that he is the only returning actor from the first movie, and he said that him and his mom were extras in that first movie.
Speaker 2: I don't know why he would lie about it, But then again, I don't know why the guy from the league would lie about nine to eleven.
Speaker 1: So here we are, let's not put those two together. Let's not put Steve run as Easy and Paul Sheer together. Paul Sheer is a is a different kind of cat, and I would also with Paul Sheer if that is a lie. It's kind of a funny lie, Like why would you lie about that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, pretty obscure lie. The funniest part of the movie Goo is when they're shopping for a trailer to hold all the cakes little tubs there or barrels they're the trailer guy asked like, why would you need it? And she goes in this whole spiel and he's like, you're gonna want to luminum. Got me really really to that.
Speaker 1: Guys, like all of us because they're explaining all this stuff to us and we're just shaking our heads like that makes sense, Yeah, when we have what they're talking about.
Speaker 2: My biggest positive from this movie, my biggest takeaway from this movie is David corn Sweat plays like the asshole business partner to Hobby, Steve or Scott or whatever the fuck his name was, And I actually liked that for like his Superman purposes, Like just being a little bit of a dickhead I think works for Superman, so I'm in on that. He Also, you could tell this movie was made like while he was getting yoked up. Yeah, he gets a bigger in this movie than when you've ever seen him before.
Speaker 1: Also, I thought it was funny and I was curious if they were gonna answer this question at the end. But as they were driving away from the tornado, he gets kicked out of the car and then gets mudded on.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: Does someone else pick him up? Or does he get swallowed by the beast?
Speaker 2: I was considering that too.
Speaker 1: I wonder the car pare me out? Is this the origin story for his Superman? He takes off his fucking shirt and just flies away.
Speaker 2: Kansas sain't too far from Oklahoma.
Speaker 1: He's like that son of a bitch. I'm gonna take him down.
Speaker 2: This movie was fine, Like, I'm just stunned it's making so much money.
Speaker 1: I saw it and I said, this is gonna make a ton of money.
Speaker 2: I saw it and I said, why is it making a ton of money?
Speaker 1: That's because you're so two thousand and late.
Speaker 2: Once again, the original is better than this. Movie.
Speaker 1: Tell me why it's just better.
Speaker 2: The characters are better.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but one character is other things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Glen Palal might be the best character from both movies. The other movie has three considerably, So I.
Speaker 1: Think what you're coming at me with is that the other movie has more recognizable character actors in it. No, the other movie, and you are in your mind into thinking that that's better.
Speaker 2: Before the other movie had better baked in relationships, so the drama amongst the characters was more believable and more emotional, whereas this felt very manufactured. Because Kate and Tyler have known each other for three fucking days. This was dumb. It was stupid, and then the characters that have known each other for three days fall in love at the end of the movie. It's dumb. It's very stupid.
Speaker 1: Are you proud of yourself?
Speaker 2: I'm annoying because I've wanted to like this movie more. Let's get into.
Speaker 1: Masack and mac sac could be anything. It could be a boat and with Twisters coming at us, you know, doing it for themselves, and then Deadpool and Wolverine coming out last week, we are I would say, at the tail end of the summer blockbuster season, sounds about right, because coming up a lot of names, don't see a lot of dollars.
Speaker 2: We do have to get to long Legs though, that's when we missed that we both.
Speaker 1: Should see that already came out though.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I'm just I'm just trying to think of in terms of movies that we're gonna review that should be on there. What do you think about the Alien movie? Are we gonna see and review that one?
Speaker 1: Maybe that will be in a what have you been watching lately? I don't know if Alien Romulus that comes out on the sixteenth of August is going to be a standalone some other movies that are coming out. One that could be intriguing is Trap, but that also feels like every other m night movie where the trailer intrigues you and then you watch it and you say, oh, that's kind of stupid.
Speaker 2: That's one of those ones where like the initial roddy t score will dictate whether a reviewer or not. Unfortunately, like if it's getting reviewed really well, then okay, we'll do an episode on it.
Speaker 1: Then also on the second there is Sing Sing, and there is Herald in the purple crayon.
Speaker 2: That looks like a fun little family movie. Maybe that'll do well. I don't know if I'll see that right away though.
Speaker 1: On the ninth of August, Borderlands is coming out again.
Speaker 2: That's like a wait and see. I have zero expectations that that's gonna be any good, but maybe it will be.
Speaker 1: We've already mentioned Alien Romulus on the twenty third, and I have heard this movie is terrible from the reviews that I've seen so far. The Crow.
Speaker 2: I'm just not gonna see that movie.
Speaker 1: So if it is said that it is the worst movie of the year, I'm gonna have to check it out. Because you know what else came out this year.
Speaker 2: Nothing tops Madam Weble.
Speaker 1: I say, Madam Web came out this year. So if people are saying this.
Speaker 2: Is bad, that won't be as bad.
Speaker 1: And then I think we do get back to making some money Slash. Our next standalone movie might be Beetlejuice. Beetlejuice on the sixth of September.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so there is a little bit of a gap here, so we can squeeze in maybe some television stuff or some episodes people have been wanting us to get to here we talked a little bit earlier. Maybe we do a water World episode.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I'm thinking at the end of this week, because so we had to record this episode a little bit early for today. I know that Comic Con news came out over the weekend. We'll talk about that at the end of the week. Then Mac is making me watch The Acolyte. Yeah, and we will discuss that at the already watch next thirds of it. I would rather just not finish it.
Speaker 2: I don't understand that at all.
Speaker 1: So then we have The Acolyte at the beginning of next week. We will do at some point in August, we're gonna do water World.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm in on that.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm in on that, And then we'll do a what have you been watching with a bunch of other stuff, and we just have to get ourselves to beatle Juice Beetlejuice.
Speaker 2: Gon'll weather the storm, you know, because it's a storm movie that we just talked about. You know.
Speaker 1: Fuck man, you know that's why you're here.
Speaker 2: That's why you're here. It took me forty minutes to get a zinger out this.
Speaker 1: Entire episode of you bad mouthing Twisters. I'm like, why is he here? But now I know bang, all right, where can the people find us.
Speaker 2: You can find us on Twitter and Instagram, at Mac and gooo podcast on every other platform. We are Mac ampersan Goo, It's Max Si Sevin Goo. That includes Facebook's tune in, Stitch your Cashbucks speaker, Google Play, Ihearted Radio. Uh, we are on Spotify, but more importantly Apple podcasts. Get on there, rate review, subscribe five stars. If you do that, we'll get you a free Mac and Goo T shirt from the folks over at Watertown Sports where watertownsports dot com experts screenprinting and embroidery.
Speaker 1: Hey Alexa, tell your app or play Mac and Goo.
Speaker 2: What you do?
Speaker 1: Play Mac and go on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Also, I wore my Chris Stables and Stapleton shirt for this doubleheader because I believe one of his songs is in this movie. It's a very oklahoma Ish song type guy I'm wearing you got your.
Speaker 1: Philipine shirt And on the movie post or it's a guy clipping an alien's toenails.
Speaker 2: I see it says Shakito.
Speaker 1: There is that, correctly, that is the actor I believe.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, I'll have to look it up again.
Speaker 1: Me and my father in law both have these. It's a great Shirty got it from he explained it to me when we were in Italy, and like that is very intriguing, this Filipino ET. So I went ahead and made these for the two of us.
Speaker 2: Top three ets ET Filipino Et, Stone Cold Et.
Speaker 1: There's also a very good u ET porn parody that I've seen many clips from.
Speaker 2: By very good, do you mean I might have to do some research?
Speaker 1: Actually, you know what's a really good parody is the ET on Robot Chicken, where they have Et go back to his home planet and all the other aliens are just normal and they and they treat the ET that was here like a dummy and they're like, you can't even talk right the ET man. It's good stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's good.
Speaker 1: Credit to you, Seth Green. Yeah, yeah, there we go, Seth Green, Seth Green, go buy shirts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there you go.
Speaker 1: Go buy shirts. Also check us out at the end of the week for our comic con talk. I bet that Marvel announced a bunch of stuff. I hope so, I hope so too. Tuesdays for Goose Days, I use Kangaroos.
Speaker 2: I E.
Speaker 1: Tam Burton. Please flip the cassette over to side B to continue the adventure. Now it's time for girls jumping on trampolines.