Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI A six forty.
Speaker 2: It's Later with Moe Kelly.
Speaker 3: We're live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app and YouTube, so if you're on the go, take us with you. Host Mickey Mouse and Mini Mouse bring audiences on an expedition across raging seas, snow covered mountains, and the Marigold Bridge in Disney on Ice presents Into the Magic. This extravaganza features Disney's Moana, Frozen, Coco, and Beauty and the Beast with other beloved Disney characters playing the Toyota Arena in Ontario starting tomorrow through Sunday. Later tonight, we'll be giving away a family four pack to tomorrow night's show at the Toyota Arena only if you're watching our YouTube feed. But right now, I'm happy to be joined by Kyle James, performance director for Disney on Ice.
Speaker 2: Kyle is good to talk to you. How you doing, sir, I'm doing great.
Speaker 4: How are you?
Speaker 2: I'm doing well. I've been looking forward to this conversation.
Speaker 3: Disney on Ice features skaters from literally around the world, from Canada to Kazakhstan to even the Philippines. What is the audition and selection process?
Speaker 5: Like all the skaters that are interested in joining disjroon ice, they usually train and compete their whole life, and then when they're ready for something new, they send in a video to our casting team and if anyone's interested out there, all the information is on our website disjon ice dot com.
Speaker 3: Does the show vary from city to city with moving parts or is it consistent regardless of venue.
Speaker 4: It's consistent regardless of the venue. We try to put our same consistent product out there each time.
Speaker 2: There is performance and there is preparation.
Speaker 3: What is the training that the skaters employed beyond just the normal rehearsals. Yes, they're skating all the time, but what type of maybe physical workout routine do some skaters employ?
Speaker 5: Yeah, so every skater has their own physical workout plan that works for them. A lot of people enjoy running outside. Some people like are always in the gym. It really is just whatever their body is used to and how they've trained their whole life.
Speaker 3: How long is this tour? What part are you in this tour? Of course it's been going on all across the country. But where are we in the tour?
Speaker 5: We are on week twenty nine of thirty, so we may have this week and one more week left.
Speaker 3: As the performance director, do you sense at any point, just person to person a level of fatigue given that you're week twenty nine out of thirty. How do you maintain that same level of enthusiasm amongst the cast members from week to week?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: So everyone again has their own thing that works for them, and I've learned each one of my performers. Some need to pick me up, some just needa, you're doing great, Some need just to pat on the back, and yeah, it's just always trying to keep the energy up and keep them motivated.
Speaker 3: I know when I go to the theater, there's the principal cast and you usually have understudies. Is it the same for Disney on where you'll have your principal cast, but you have a selection of I don't want to call them backup skaters, but understudies who could step in at a moment's notice, someone maybe injured, someone maybe under the weather.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we have our principal cast and then we have plenty of talented understudies that are always ready to go in at any time.
Speaker 2: How do they go about doing that?
Speaker 3: Now, do you have the understudies who learn five or six different parts or is it just one to one?
Speaker 4: Was the Disney on Ice? Everything is specific to the role.
Speaker 5: So it's just if they have the look at how what the casting team in Disney's looking for for that individual role.
Speaker 3: When you are touring the country, I'm quite sure that you may be surprised by something or you may see something like, oh, so and so did something just a little bit different or in an inflection in their voice, or there was something they did that they hadn't done before. Is that common or what types of things are emblematic of that?
Speaker 5: Yeah, everyone brings their own personality to each of the characters. That everyone to stick to the same basics of each character, but everyone makes it their own in a little ways.
Speaker 2: Does it very though? From performance performance to Kenny?
Speaker 3: Do you see like, well, James did a little bit something different tonight, or he had a little more enthusiasm tonight, or he added an ad lib line.
Speaker 2: Does that happen?
Speaker 4: It doesn't here and there.
Speaker 5: But I feel like since I watched so many shows that they all kind of blend together.
Speaker 3: Well, let's talk about since you're watching shows, how do you run this. As a performance director, do you have the formal rehearsals where you say five six seven, Hey, how does a rehearsal go?
Speaker 5: Yeah, so we rehearse for almost two weeks down in our headquarters in Florida, and then that's just when we teach the whole show. We run the show, make it show ready, and we get on the road, and then throughout the tour I hold rehearsals when needed, and then every show I watch and I take notes and I go back and talk to the crew or the skaters, whoever needs to fix with it what was wrong.
Speaker 2: As a performance director, let me stay right there.
Speaker 3: What is your barometer as far as a performance being on par with what you expect, what Disney expects, and what type of variance is there? I'm quite sure not every performance is the same, Not every crowd is the same, the energy level is not the same. So what are some of the cues and clues that you're looking for.
Speaker 5: My job as a performance structor is just a whole the integrity of the show as it was created by the producers, and just making my own little touches on it to keep it new and fun for everyone.
Speaker 4: It's live entertainment.
Speaker 5: I get things happen, but we always try to keep it to our higher standard.
Speaker 2: Do you have any input?
Speaker 3: You said you work on the show for a good two weeks before you go out on the road. What is your level of input as far as putting that show together or providing a vision that is being followed.
Speaker 4: It depends on the show.
Speaker 5: If it's like a brand new show that I'm first, the first person working on, you have a lot of input.
Speaker 4: And then when it comes down the line and then.
Speaker 5: I'm like, I don't even know what number performance structure to work on this show, but it all of us bring our own little thing and have made our little touches all over the show.
Speaker 3: All Right, With all that as a precursor, let's get into a Disney on Ice Presents, into the magic. We're gonna be giving away a family four pack to tomorrow's show in Ontario at the Toyota Arena. What should our winners and everyone else in attendance expect to see?
Speaker 5: Yeah, there you get to see six amazing stories. We have our classics like Cinderella and Beauty and the Beasts, and some of our new favorites that everyone loves, like Frozen, Muana, Cocoa Entangled and yeah, just it's a story that everyone gets to enjoy and there's so much magic, all right.
Speaker 3: Well, speaking of the magic, Kyle James, performance director for Disney on Ice. Disney on Ice Presents Into the Magic can be experienced at the Toyota Arena in Ontario through Sunday.
Speaker 6: Now is the time if you want to win tickets to see Disney on Ice Tomorrow night at the Toyota Area in Ontario. Caller number seven, Lucky number seven. You need to have the Disney on Ice password, which we flash behind Tiffany Hobbs and flash behind to Wallace Sharp. We have a little issue with that, but we got the password up there. Caller number seven, you will have a chance to see Disney on Ice Presents Into the Magic. The show is tomorrow night at the Toyota Arena in Ontario.
Speaker 3: Kyle James, I want to thank you as my guest coming on tonight. Thank you for all you do and congratulations on a wonderful.
Speaker 2: Wonderful tour.
Speaker 4: Great, thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 3: It's later with Moe Kelly kfi Am six forty. We're live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app and YouTube
Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty