Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon, and you're listening to KFI AM six forty the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Twenty three and Me has filed for bankruptcy protection, and the Attorney General here in the state of California is telling you, if you signed up for twenty three and Me, have them destroy your genetic information because the heat doesn't know what's going to happen to.
Speaker 1: That, right, what are they going to use that for?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: So, Also, you and I are both, I would say, plagued with loud sneezes at times.
Speaker 3: You used to be.
Speaker 1: A quiet sneezer, and I feel like I have. Really, I'm doing it for you. You've been a bad influence. Oh you are.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I don't make you feel better.
Speaker 1: I appreciate that.
Speaker 3: You're not an animal. You're not a monster.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Some people just sneeze louder than them, thank you. Science says there's a way to sneeze quieter. Okay, it's not the it's not the it's not that I feel bad for people who do that. I feel like they're suppressing things.
Speaker 1: Your head. Oh my god, it be so bad. It's just it's so bad for you right sections of your head.
Speaker 2: There's also a story that says that waste size, not your BMI, waste size is a better predictor of cancer risks, specifically in men.
Speaker 1: Yes, they've been saying that about men for a very long time, not just cancer, but heart really overall health. Your waist size, because you've seen what happens is sometimes that's where men carry their weight. So like you could probably say the same thing about I mean, I don't know, I don't know about what they say about women, but I do men carry their weight in their gut. Like that's just where they carry it. So if you're if you have too much on you, it's probably going to be on your waistline.
Speaker 2: Well, and they say that they looked at the They looked at three hundred and thirty nine thousand people, analyzed health records they followed for an average of fourteen years.
Speaker 3: About eighteen thousand.
Speaker 2: Of those developed what they said was an obesity related cancer esophagus, bow, liver, pancrease, breast, gallbladder, among others. And they said they took out account for all the risk factors, age, smoking status, all of that stuff, and men with an extra four inches on their waistlines increase the risk of developing cancer by twenty five percent.
Speaker 3: Now I don't know what they mean by I don't know what their average is.
Speaker 2: Cancer likes fat exactly, And the comparable increase in BMI of just three point seven, for example, from a twenty four up to a twenty seven would increase the risk by about nineteen percent. So I have a scale that measures all of that stuff.
Speaker 3: Can't be very accurate.
Speaker 2: I mean, just because it's it's measuring through the bottoms of my feet. Yeah, but it says I have a BMI of twenty four.
Speaker 1: That's really good, isn't it.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I think that's really good. I have no idea. Let me pull up BMI scale here. I'm sure that's one.
Speaker 3: I'll bring that scale in if you want.
Speaker 1: Normal is eighteen point five to twenty five. Overweight is twenty five to thirty. So I'm at the high end of Okay, are you trying to have an intervention with me?
Speaker 3: What does that mean? Oh, that I'm going to bring the scale And I.
Speaker 1: Just said, do you want me to bring this scale in?
Speaker 3: Well? Do you no reason? Do? They answer? I'm trying to help you out here.
Speaker 1: No, I don't want to know. I don't get on a scale. I don't like it. I feel like it is more detrimental over nothing. Nothing.
Speaker 3: It's time you stepped on a scale.
Speaker 1: Oh, I don't know. Last probably at the doctor's office. Okay, like a year or something like that.
Speaker 2: I'll bring it in at bottom of the hour. By the way, we're going to be talking about that light light bulb. It's still going.
Speaker 3: It's kind of a fun, fun story.
Speaker 2: The not fun story is the suspect in the stabbing death of a cal Fire captain has been arrested in Mexico. This took about a month to find. Fifty three year old Yolanda Morodi arrested in connection with the death of her wife, Becky Morodi, near a hotel in a neighborhood in Mexicali. They confirmed her identity. Mexican authorities notified US marshals and later released to them. At the port of entry, she also goes by Yolanda Olinenjack. She can be processed and booked into custody for murder.
Speaker 1: This is one of those stories that will unfortunately probably end up as a true crime podcast because this was a woman who had done substantial time for I don't know, stabbing and killing a past husband, right, I have that right?
Speaker 2: Sentenced in two thousand and four to eleven years, she pleaded guilty to voluntary manslaughter for fatally stabbing her then husband.
Speaker 1: And then she's back out and ready to marry again and marries this very well liked, very esteemed fire captain there an Orange County. And the thought process I think for many of us, especially women, is I can change someone or it's going to be different with me. And the fact of the matter is is sometimes bad apples show you they're bad apples. I mean, I don't think I could go through with dating someone and then marrying someone who had stabbed and killed his previous wife. What if, even if he came to me with a story of self defense, whoa or self defense? Really any of it? Just because? And who am I to say? I don't know, I've never been in that situation. Maybe I would, but just sitting here thinking about it, I wouldn't because not Let's do best case scenario. Let's say it was self defense, that she was defending herself against this guy. You're still left with so much inside of you. Well took a life you took a.
Speaker 2: Life, even if that person in your mind deserved it. You took a life, right, And that's it's baggage that.
Speaker 1: And it's like a trip to Taco bell. The first one you're like, do I really need that gordita? And then next week you're like, you don't go through that in your head, you just get the gordita.
Speaker 3: You're saying it was easier to kill the second time.
Speaker 1: Some people say that that it's once you start killing, it's easier to do it again.
Speaker 3: She didn't really hide from this.
Speaker 2: I mean she went to Mexico, yes, but Yolanda had apparently texted and a friend three days after this happened, saying, Becky came home and told me she was leaving me. She had met someone else. All the messages were lies. We had a big fight and I hurt her. I'm sorry. Meanwhile, Becky Morody served more than thirty years with cal Fire, most of it in Riverside County. She started as a volunteer Marino Valley, and one of the recent events that she was involved with was she was up on the scene in the eating fire at the beginning of January.
Speaker 1: Actors are claiming that Ai is a violation of their humanity. We'll get into that. That's a pretty strong worded objection. Also, I wanted to if you didn't hear our podcast over the weekend, this makes no sense to you, but I have acquired the beef tally tallow to put on your face. This is USA grass fed and grass finished rendered beef tallow. So this is what you put on your face. You can go ahead and put some on right now.
Speaker 2: It's whipped, thank goodness. And it's got honey in it. Oh yeah, what's the honey for. I don't know, just so it doesn't smell like beef.
Speaker 1: I don't know if it's gonna smell like beef, but I'm excited to hear. Well, if you don't know why we're doing this, you got to listen to that podcast on the weekend. H Gary, h No, put it on. I will after the break.
Speaker 4: Question about the beef tallow. I worked with a guy who slathered his body in it and it smelled horrible. So my question to you guys this morning is does it have a beef scent? That's my biggest concern. If not, I'd love to try.
Speaker 1: I want I have a follow up for him like, where does he work? How did he know about the beef tallow? And did the guy just smell like beef all day? And how did he know? Did he brag about it? Did he use it for lotion properties? Or was he just worked in the cattle industry? You know, I mean you work in the cattle industry, you come home smelling like beef tallow, I would assume. I mean I worked in a deli. I came home smelling like mustard and pickles every day. You don't want to know what I go home smelling like from this place?
Speaker 3: What does that mean? Hey, Harriet Shannon Amy here, longtime listener. Hey, I've been putting beef towel on my face for the last sixty days. I think it works.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's natural, it's doesn't have all the chemicals in it that some of these other.
Speaker 4: Products have, and doesn't make me break out.
Speaker 1: So I'm kind of liking it.
Speaker 3: I'm not going to fry any you know, findy food in it.
Speaker 1: But that's not what that's for. I guess it is what it's for. It's probably for that more than this. Okay, So you've opened up your beef.
Speaker 2: Tallow and it doesn't smell. It says it's got honey in it. It's got Manuka honey, that's the best kind, which I don't know. I don't smell. I don't smell any beef in it at all.
Speaker 1: I felt like I smelled a little beef in it, but maybe that's because it's in my mind.
Speaker 3: It's in your mind, beef.
Speaker 1: In the mind.
Speaker 2: It says I can use it on my skin, apply a small amount to the clean dry skin.
Speaker 3: Ye in your gently massage.
Speaker 1: Is clean and dry, so let's put some of that on there.
Speaker 2: One is for your hair use used as a moisturizing hair mask.
Speaker 1: I feel like your hair is too fine, like you and I both have. I think the same kind of thickness of hair, which is fine, and I think it's just gonna make it too greasy. I don't think you should use it on your hair.
Speaker 3: The third option is for all over use.
Speaker 1: I don't want you to rub it all over use.
Speaker 3: I don't need that use as a daily moisturizer.
Speaker 1: Very small jar, you through a whole jar if you were going to.
Speaker 3: Put it everywhere to enjoy gentle natural hydration.
Speaker 1: And that was eight ninety nine, I'll have you know, so that better lasts you.
Speaker 3: Test a portion on a small area of your.
Speaker 1: Skin, your arm. Yeah, why don't you test it right here on the inside of your wrist, and then we'll make sure you don't break out, and then we'll rub it on. You'll rub it on your face after twenty minutes whipped, So it's not very See doesn't that feel nice?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: Just give hairy arms?
Speaker 3: What does that mean?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: It doesn't smell like anything even when I put it on.
Speaker 1: Okay, but doesn't that look nice? Doesn't your wrist look nice? And supple?
Speaker 3: I it.
Speaker 1: So? Voice actors say that AI and AI voice clones are what did they call it? A violation of our humanity? Guy by the name of Nick Myers profiled in the La Times. He's twenty six. He's an actor. He said that one hundred thousand dollars would have changed his life. It would have taken a lot of weight off his shoulders, provided relief for his family. He's been in the game for about ten years, makes less than ten dollars ten thousand dollars might as well be ten dollars ten thousand dollars a year from acting, and he supplements his income with food service, retail jobs, things like that. And he turned down a voice acting gig that offered about one hundred thousand dollars than his annual acting salary, and it was only going to be twenty hours of work. Why did he turn that down? Why did he turn down that one hundred thousand dollars That would have taken a lot of weight off his shoulders and changed his life because he says the job entailed recording his voice to train AI powered voice replication models. He said, nick Meyer said, I Am not going to sacrifice my morality for a paycheck, no matter how big to me. That says. Nick Meyer's got family money. Nick Meyer isn't really struggling. If you've been working for ten years and only making ten thousand dollars a year at your profession, you've probably got something to fall back on, right. I would have to find something else real quick. He does say he does work food service and retail jobs. Yes, right, but that's not a lot. Think back to some of the original people.
Speaker 2: I mean, our own Amy King was the voice is the voice of Waste deb Remark.
Speaker 1: Does a successful voice actor as well.
Speaker 2: I've done some video game stuff, voice acting and It's one of those things.
Speaker 3: Where you just you give it up.
Speaker 2: I mean, you sign the contract and they have the right to use your voice the ones I've done. They have the right to use your voice the way that you've the way that you've performed. However, that is in this guy's case Nick's talking about, they would he could record for the twenty hours and then they would use that. However, you know, the all of the different sounds basically that you make over the course of twenty hours, and whatever you didn't include in those twenty hours, they can then manufacture just using the bits and pieces, the ones and zeros that is your recorded voice.
Speaker 1: It is unfortunately for Nick Meyer, the way this is all headed and him turning down this one job is not going to stop the steam train.
Speaker 3: That is because there is someone who will do that. Right.
Speaker 1: Take one hundred thousand dollars, Nick, would be my advice, because this is happening whether you like it or not. Unfortunately for your profession.
Speaker 2: Think of the think of the voice of the You've Got Mail guy from AOL Yeah but he died, or even the original voice.
Speaker 1: Of Got Nothing. By the way, you got mail Guy, Got Nothing? You got like four hundred dollars or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, how do you There's a million stories where people had they had some audio brand that they recorded that didn't turn into anything, and they probably got a smoking deal at four hundred bucks because it never went anywhere. But that one guy whose voice was used repeatedly millions and millions of times, he's that my arm is itching?
Speaker 1: Is it? Well?
Speaker 3: Kid?
Speaker 1: Well, you have like a like a scratchy flannel.
Speaker 3: It's a very soft flannel. I'll have you know.
Speaker 1: Oh is it okay? Cause that might that might be more of Is it really itching? Why did you say that? John?
Speaker 3: Do you think I would beef tala? Would?
Speaker 1: Uh? Are you a teenage girl? Are you making ailments up now for attention because you're not interesting? I don't. I find you to be enough. You're interesting just as as you are. You don't need to make up an ailment.
Speaker 2: Or as they said in adolescence, he used to He used to make up a funny tummy when he didn't want to go to pe class.
Speaker 3: Funny Tommy.
Speaker 1: Can we also spend some time on the zeitgeist catchphrase that is eighty twenty Oh yeah, it's everywhere, and it's in adolescence, and it's everywhere. I hear it all the time, and it is totally the thing that everyone is kind of gonna hear about. It's gonna be it's gonna be like the lean in in the next month or two. It's gonna be all of that. The eighty twenty it's the eighty twenty rule.
Speaker 2: Another term that I've I've heard way too much of lately. Most of the time it's from Gavin Newsom is stress test. Let's stress test that idea?
Speaker 1: What does that mean?
Speaker 2: Have an argument about something, hash it out and see if it stands up to the stress of That.
Speaker 1: Makes no sense of a debate, that doesn't make any sense.
Speaker 2: It makes perfect sense. It's just annoying that you can't just say, let's try this out.
Speaker 1: You have to mean, let's talk about beef tallow and see if we get heated enough to have a debate about it.
Speaker 2: Let's stress test the beef tallow phenomenon. That is skincare right.
Speaker 1: Now, and it sent gasps through the crowd that assembled to watch it. The city electrician, who was on hand for the occasion, turn the switch on the side of the socket and the glow returned, but They said, they have some very smart people studying on how to keep the bulb safe. They know how special it is. It's funny that your dad came up earlier, because when I saw this story this morning, I thought, oh, I think Gary liked that.
Speaker 3: I think it's dad.
Speaker 1: We gotten a kick out of this. A light bulb that's one hundred years old, Yeah, one hundred and twenty. Oh, you're rubbing the tallow on your face again. It doesn't smell like beef. Talo doesn't smell like anything. Yeah, y'll stubble there. I hear it in the microphone. You didn't shave today. You don't mess, don't forget your forehead and your neck. No, you need some more. You can't just don't. Don't be.
Speaker 3: You only gave me so much. I have to be careful with it. I can't rub it all over.
Speaker 1: Okay, you did start reading the directions in the break and what did they say about rubbing it all over?
Speaker 3: Use a lot?
Speaker 1: You should use a little bit more on your neck. I'm just saying there's a lot of area there. I didn't say it about beforehand.
Speaker 2: Probably didn't have any left for my neck after I tried to go up my forehead with that.
Speaker 3: I like that feeling.
Speaker 1: What feeling of self care, of feeling moisturized?
Speaker 3: The oily do on your hands? Oh okay, how you people do it?
Speaker 1: You people?
Speaker 3: Stocks?
Speaker 2: Those stocks are having a pretty positive day, unusual for the last couple of weeks. The Dow is up five hundred plus points, Nasdaq is up three hundred and fifty eight, the S and P five hundred is up about ninety all because there is some discussion that Trump could hold back from implementing some of the wide ranging tariff plants that we had seen. The Dow Jones Industrial average, like I said, had jumped five hundred points very early early today.
Speaker 1: I just saw Rodney Pete out in the hall. Oh, the first time I've seen him.
Speaker 3: Did you bring that glove home with them?
Speaker 1: I go, oh, it's a new infielder for the Los Angeles time, and so it's the first time I saw him. So I had to, of course do the whole thing. I mean, the way that he was able to get that foul ball from Max Monzy. You know, I was telling him. You know, my husband described it to me that morning, like before you go to work, listen to what happened with Rodney Pete and blah blah blah, and yeah it was. It was a hard catch and Max Mounsey had to reach over the net and there's no fan interference or anything. But then you see the video and you're like, oh, I can see where Max Mounsey would be pissed because Rodney just kind of reaches out and like eh, and then he sees it. Max's pissed and he's just like, oh, yeah, but I didn't do that.
Speaker 2: I mean Rodney's defense and he said it his glove was below Max Monzies. Max would have missed that ball, yeah, or I should say Max did miss that ball.
Speaker 1: Still not a great look for Max Muncy. And had it been a Joe blow fan, it would be funny and endearing. But because it was somebody who's an athlete, like, it just looks like Max, like he made the better play.
Speaker 3: I won't tell him that.
Speaker 2: Later today, for the first time in fourteen years, state officials going to release some updated fire maps from southern California. These maps from CalFire are supposed to show where wildfires are most likely to occur within the next several decades. Among other things, it's going to show where fire resistant building codes apply and where you if you live there, you would be subject to annual brush inspections and things like that. These are not expected to have an impact on insurance. That's one of the main topics when we've talked about fire, wildfires and fire safety lately, because insurance companies usually use their own maps that include updated fire risk information. They would use these CalFire maps as part of their planning, the current fire resistant building materials and landscaping, et cetera. When we moved into our house, which I think I'm not even sure the exact designation, it's in a level two.
Speaker 3: Zone whatever that means.
Speaker 2: Okay, the insurance company, our homeowners insurance company, came out and did the inspect themselves. They had somebody come out and lay eyes on the house itself, checked out its building materials, checked out the landscaping, checked out how far away we are from open you know, the open land that's a couple of houses away, and basically came up with the score about how dangerous the insurance company thought. It was not just taking these maps for granted. They said that statewide, the maps expand the there's three levels of risk, the very high risk the high risk and then lower than that, and they said that they expand high and very high to one point four million acres. That's more than doubling the previous versions. So new regulations also require the property zones in those very high risk zones to maintain something called Ember free zone, which so you know, the defensible space. They say, out of a one hundred feet away from your you've got to have you know, low lawns and no big trees and things like that, thirty feet.
Speaker 3: It's even more restrictive than that.
Speaker 2: Now they're adding this Ember free zone, so you can't have a wooden gate, you can't have plants, you can't have bark mulch in that perimeter of those five foot five foot of your structure.
Speaker 3: Just to try to lower the risk of fires.
Speaker 2: La County Fire performs more than one hundred and twenty nine thousand inspections each spring. I just got my letter a few weeks ago that just said that they had driven by and they could see from the street that it's.
Speaker 3: You know, everything's taken care of.
Speaker 2: So we will get the state version of the fire maps coming up later today.
Speaker 1: All right, coming up next. When's the last time you watched sixty minutes. It's been a minute for me.
Speaker 3: I don't think i've ever very rarely have I ever.
Speaker 1: Seen My parents used to watch it. My grandparents used to watch it. I remember coming on after football. That's my exposure to sixty minutes and the clock and the Morley Schaeffer guy who looked like he was gonna die when I was a child, very small child. Anyway, I got confused between him and the guy from you know, the Ghost of Christmas, the scary guy.
Speaker 3: The Ghost of the Ghost Jacob Marley.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he wasn't the Ghost of Christmas breath.
Speaker 3: He was the guy who brought the ghosts. Oh yeah.
Speaker 2: Really starting to smell hamburger now. I don't know if it's because my skin is heating the beef tallow up a little bit, but honestly, really, oh no, it's that whatever food you chicken and rice.
Speaker 3: So that's what it is.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's what you're smelling. I just want to make sure it's not panicking over there. I feel like I have a hamburger strapped to my face, very moisturized. You've been listening to the Gary and Shannon Show, you can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio LAP