Speaker 1: Ladies and gentlemen, Welcome to Sunday Service, episode fifty four.
Speaker 2: I am your host, Josh Monday.
Speaker 1: If you know me, I'm a Christian rapper, devoted husband, father, and army veteran. Thank you guys so much for joining me today. This is brought to you by Cult of Conspiracy podcast. And thank you Jonathan, thank you Jacob. Really appreciate you guys allowing me to do this show. And yes, so this is the fifty fourth episode. Awesome, So we're moving right along and Second Samuel we'll be in Second Samuel three. And so today I got to go down to La again and do another show out in La.
Speaker 2: So I got to do a live show again on the show.
Speaker 1: It's called Apollo the Original, and this one is actually going to be on high school college Secret Societies. It's a pretty pretty interesting episode when it comes out. I'll let you I'll let you guys know. I'll keep you guys posted and if you guys could definitely watch the episode. I did do also on his show about Biblical cosmology, just to kind of get the numbers kind of ringing up there, so you know, that way I could be on these bigger shows. Still, you know that way I could bring more people to listening to the Bible studies and bring more people listening to the show.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: So the more people that listen, the more people are engaged with the Word of God that might not be going to church. And I think it's just a blessing for everybody, so including me. So thank you guys so much if you guys do that. But like I always do, like to shout out you guys for commenting whoever commented last week and on Sunday Service last week we had four comments. I had Angela Kelly comment, I appreciate you, thanks for catching up.
Speaker 2: I really appreciate you.
Speaker 1: You said you missed a few episodes, but now you caught up, so I really appreciate you. You said the episode with Apaola was awesome. That's the episode I'm speaking about, guys, said Angela Kelly. Thank you for going over there checking it out. And j con forty four to twenty. Yes, cool, I think that you. On Wednesday service, you said that you appreciate the prayers. So he was asking for prayers for his dad. His name's Jay, if you could please pray for his dad. Okay, he's going through radiation treatment, so please pray for.
Speaker 2: Him swift force. What's up. I really appreciate you, brother.
Speaker 1: The quote through kryptis does not a yeah, similar voice, but it's not me.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I hope that person knows that. And then Brad Gillis, I really appreciate you commenting as well. And then last week on Wednesday service, we had like a lot of people comment so I was really happy it was about five people.
Speaker 2: So NRM Benz.
Speaker 1: Paul brings up some most difficult Oh that's NICKI, NICKI, how's it going. Paul brings up some of the most difficult and controversy to topics of the church. Modern US theology has promoted Israel as a nation state as equal to spiritual Israel. But the promise to Abraham Abraham was not a Jew, but a gentile, for whom his belief was accounted to him as righteous. Amen to that, Nikki, and I liked your message you sent me on my Patreon.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: I agree with you, and you know, it's kind of people have mixed opinions on that, but yet very great points. So especially on your message on Instagram, I really appreciate I mean, on Patreon, I really think that was an intriguing message, and like I said, people have different point of views on that and it's a very interesting subject. Angela Kelly, once again, thank you, really appreciate you.
Speaker 2: I used to live.
Speaker 1: Eminem rock and roll, and I can't listen to second in music anymore me neither. The music disrupts my soul. Now, God is good. Have a wonderful weekend.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, I know.
Speaker 1: I'm a rapper as well too. You know, I'm a rap artist and I used to be. I don't really do it anymore as much, but I put out you know, about nine songs, and yeah, I can listen to that stuff either. And I never ever thought I wouldn't listen to that because I used to love how people connected words and how they are so lyrical and how they do.
Speaker 2: This and that and all that.
Speaker 1: And now I'm the same way Angela, definitely same exact way, know there. I appreciate your comment. Please cover the book at Enoch. Yeah, all glory to God.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I pray for protection, jeez, and I really appreciate your prayers. I pray for you as well, for protection over you and everybody that listens to the show.
Speaker 2: I pray for protection over everybody. A hedge of protection. Amen. J Con forty four to twenty. Thank you everyone, Thank God, I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thank you for the prayers, he said, because he's coming on Wednesday service. Now he asks for prayers on Sunday. He's commenting on Wednesday service and Brad Gillis really appreciate you too, and know they're Yes. You said that you want me to go over the Book of Enoch, So that will happen at some point once I get done with probably going over the whole entire Bible, I'll probably take some time out to do some extra biblical text if you guys are interested. So, yeah, really appreciate all your comments. Like I said, it really helps pushes the show up the algorithm and also shows Actually I did talk to Jacob. Actually I haven't talked to Jacob or Jonathan in a while. I kind of just we text once in a great, great, great blue moon. But I actually got to talk to Jacob on the phone and he said that he said, your show has the most you know, comments besides their show. Their show gets a lot. But so, like I said, I appreciate you guys. They're noticing that and that's what keeps the show on the air. The engagement, it pushes the show up the algorithm, and it's stuff that they notice and it really stands out to them. And I really appreciate you guys commenting and always listening to the show from the bottom of my heart. You know, I really, I really appreciate it.
Speaker 2: It does help.
Speaker 1: And some people, I'm telling you that listen to this show, they they're not like a lot of you guys are. We're Christian probably to begin with, and now you listen to the show, but there's a lot of people that were kind of on the fence or not really listening to not really reading the Bible, or maybe not even going to church that are now kind of engaged in the Bible. So it's really helping out and all glory to God for that. But it's also you guys listening to the show that's helping people reach other people. So by you guys listening to the show, you know, you're helping and I really appreciate that.
Speaker 2: Thank you, And now let me just go ahead and do that.
Speaker 1: The intro for Second Samuel Chapter three, The House of David Strengthened. Second Samuel three teaches us the complexities of human relationships, the importance of loyalty, and the destructive potential of unchecked revenge. Even in the midst of strife, we see God's divine hand moving as David, despite being wronged, maintains integrity and fairness. This chapter ultimately serves as a lesson in leadership and the power of forgiveness over revenge.
Speaker 2: Okay, so.
Speaker 1: Excuse me, So we have that going on, So let's go ahead and pull up Second Samuel real quick, let me just share the screen.
Speaker 2: Pull this up. This is Second Samuel three.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we're in Second Samuel chapter three, reading out of the New King James version. Just let you guys know, and the title for this is actually going to be Joe ab Kills Abner. Before we start, I want to let you guys know something. So at this time, David is reigning. He is the king of Judah right, which is like the South right, So he is.
Speaker 2: The king of Judah.
Speaker 1: He's not the king over all of Israel yet because Saul's dynasty is still trying to reign in the north. So David has been king over the South or Judah for seven and a half a half years. Now, okay, just let you guys know up to this point, So let me go ahead and start Second Samuel three, verse one. Now there was a long war between the House of Saul and the House of David. But David grew stronger and stronger, and the House of Sault grew weaker and weaker. Sons of David. Sons were born to David in Hebron. His firstborn was Amin Amnon of Ahnom the the Jezreelites. His second Chilib by Abigail, the widow of Nebal the Karmelite. The third Absalom, the son of Macaw, the daughter of Talmai, king of Jashir. The fourth Ajanav, son of Hageth, the fifth Shephatah, son of Abbatol, and the sixth uh eh Reim by David's wife Iglau. These were born to David and Hebron. So we'll stop there real quick. So if you know not, David has six kids from six different women. And it's kind of interesting that we're not hearing, you know. Sometimes you know, you hear certain things like when you read that, like you know, and God was you know, grieved by David for having six different women or whatever, you know, So you don't see that. So it's kind of interesting that it doesn't say like God disapproved or God scoffed that David. But I do want to point something out that having six children from six different women, whether it which I don't think God approves of, whether it was back in the day or not, it still doesn't work for a family. And I'm gonna show you, guys what happened with David.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: So, David's first unnamed son with Bathsheba, died in infancy as a punishment for david sin with Bathsheba, which is going to be later his Her firstborn Amnin, was killed by his half brother as Absalom after uh this this word I.
Speaker 2: Don't want to use, after.
Speaker 1: Sleeping with their sister tomorrow, Okay, Absalom. Another son died from wounds received in battle after leading a rebellion against David. The unnamed son Khalib or Daniel. The second son is not mentioned beyond his birth Later ab Jannah, another son, was executed by King Solomon for attempting to claim the throne. Shepptah and I Threem. The two sons are mentioned in the lineage, but their fates are not detailed in scripture, so you have unnamed son died as.
Speaker 2: An infant, Khalib or Daniel.
Speaker 1: Little is known about the second son of David with Abigail. David's firstborn son was Amnon. He was killed by his half brother Absalom for sleeping with their sister Tomorrow. Absalom David's third son, who died after his rebellion against David. Ada Jannah, the fourth son, who attempted to unsurp the throne and was later executed by King Solomon. Okay, then uh uh i Reem and Shipta, the second that their fate was not recorded, doesn't detail what happened in the Bible. So you kind of see a problem here. You don't see David with one woman, you know, king and a queen and they just have all the children are theirs and they're taking care of them. You kind of see a lot of chaos happening, right. So, even though the Bible does not say, hey, you know, God disapproved of him being with these other women or anything like that, uh, you kind of see the chaos that ends up happening with David and his children.
Speaker 2: Okay, I don't know what's up with the.
Speaker 1: Other two, but and then you know some are little is known about the second son, but the other ones.
Speaker 2: You see what happened.
Speaker 1: So I believe that when you have a family of a man and a woman only, and then you marry and then you have children, if you have a better chance, not saying that it always happens, but you kind of have a better chance of your children doing better in life, especially if the father and the mother stay together, don't divorce, and they take care of their children the correct way, the godly way. The father is the head of the home. He's a spiritual leader. The wife is also strong as well in the Bible, and then both of them get together and then the wife submits to the husband. Not saying that she should submit to a jerk or someone that's trying to rule over her or be a crazy psycho. I'm just saying that a godly man that reads the Bible and that's a spiritual leader, the wife should submit. They get along and they're in love, and the children that they'll end up doing a lot better.
Speaker 2: Now, sometimes they do veer off and do things.
Speaker 1: I'm not saying that it's always perfect, but they have a better chance of this type of stuff, not happening. If that makes sense. Okay, So let's go ahead and check out what my notes say about this. It says, the House of David grows stronger. Now, the war between the House of Saul and the House of David was long and drawn out, with David growing stronger and the House of Saul becoming weaker. This verse sets the stage for the unfolding events of emphasizing the gradual shift in power. And let's go ahead and check out what the phrase the House of David gets stronger refers to the significant period in the biblical narrative with the dynasty of King David solidifies its power and influence over Israel. This theme is primarily drawn from the books of First and Second Samuel, which detailed the trends transition of leadership between Saul to David, and the subsequent establishment.
Speaker 2: Of David's rule.
Speaker 1: All right, So that's all I want to go over, is just kind of the biblical definition of that. So you understand, all right, So let's go ahead and read. Now Abner joins forces with David. All right, So it says, now it was so why there was a war between the House of Saul and the House of David that Abner was strengthened his hold on the House of Saul, and Saul had a concubine whose name was.
Speaker 2: Ris Paul, the daughter of Ahi.
Speaker 1: So Izbashev said to Abner, why have you gone in my father's concubine. So and just let you guys know, let me just pause there that when you sleep with the king's concubine, it's like you saying I conquered that king, even if the king is dead. So Abner is one of the Abner is one of the uh military leaders. Let me just let me just make sure I'm correct on this. I believe one of the military leaders for Saul's army.
Speaker 2: Abner.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, sorry, guys, Abner was Okay.
Speaker 1: So Abner was the son of Ner and the captain of King Saul's army.
Speaker 2: So that's what it was.
Speaker 1: I didn't want to say military leader. I wanted to say it correctly. He was a captain of Saul's army. King Saul's army in the Bible, a key figure in the early years of King David's reign. After Saul's death, Abner installed Ishbath, Saul's son. Okay, so that's what's going on. So what is happening here is Saul had a concubine whose name was Rispa, the daughter of Ayah, and ish Isbasheth, who was the one that was put in power. He's like the king said to Abner, why have you gone into my father's concubine. And like I said, it is a even though Saul is already dead. It's kind of like him getting one up on Saul basically. So let's see what it says here in verse eight. Then Abner became very angry at the words of Ishabeth and said, am I a dog's head that belongs to Judah? Today I show loyalty to the house of Saul, your father, and to his brothers and to his friends. And you have delivered, and I have delivered you into the hand of David. And you charged me today with a fault concerning this woman. May God do so to Abner and more also, if I do not do for David, as for the Lord has sworn to him to transfer the kingdom from the house of Salt and set up the throne of David over Israel and over Judah, from Dan to Brasheva. And he could answer Abner, and he could not answer Abner another word because he feared him. So Abner is the captain of the military, obviously, So Abner can actually fight, and he can get down.
Speaker 2: And you're gonna learn a.
Speaker 1: Little bit what Abner did back in Second Samuel eighteen through thirty two. All right, that's gonna come up in a second here. So all right, so it says, then Abner sent messengers on his bealf to David, saying who's in the land, Who is this the land? Who's is the land? Saying also make your covenant with me, and indeed my hands shall be with you to bring all Israel to you. Okay, So let's stop there real quick. So Abner's defection. So Abner, the commander of Sal's armored defects to David after falling after a falling out with ishbas Is Shabeth. It's hard to say. His name is Sho cheth is ba Cheth Okay, Sorry. His decision is driven by personal grievances and political calculations, yet it plays a crucial role in God's plan to establish David as king. All right, so let's go ahead and continue tewod Samuel three, verse thirteen, And David said, good I will make a covenant with you, but one thing I require of you. You shall not see my face unless you first bring McCall Saul's daughter when you come to see my face. So as you as you remember, McCall was David's first wife that Saul uh set him up with. He said that she was going to be a thorn in his side. And what happened is McCall loved David, but all that those issues happened between Saul and David.
Speaker 2: So David left and McCall ended up.
Speaker 1: Saw what Saul did is said, I don't know, I don't care if you love David, you're gonna be with somebody else. So he set up McCall with somebody else because he obviously didn't want the call to be with David anymore. So now David is saying, look uh. David said good. I will make it covenant with you, but one thing I required to you. You shall see my face unless you bring first bring McCall Saul's daughter when you come. When you come, see my face. So David sent messengers. The issue ispo Cheth, Saul's son, saying give me give me my wife McCall, whom I bethralled to myself for one hundred foreskin of the Philistines, and it's just chef and is Seth sent and took her from her husband, from Patil, the son of Leish. Then her husband went along with her to Bhim, weeping behind her. So Abner said to him, go return, and he returned. Oh man, now he is not obviously, Uh, he was weeping because McCall. I think she was beautiful, you know she was, she was she was pretty, you know, so and he was probably in love, you know, that's his wife. But Abner, the captain, which was he's kind of a probably a strong military man, told him, uh, son of Lish Pettil Poltil, to.
Speaker 2: Go return, and he returned.
Speaker 1: So stop following her because David will probably end up killing you.
Speaker 2: So go and return.
Speaker 1: So he left and returned, right, So, uh, let's go ahead and check out this portion from my notes. It says David's response to Abner's overture. Overture is marked by wisdom and diplomacy. He demands the return of his wife McCall as a condition for peace, demonstrating his strategic acumen and the commitment to rightful claims. So you see David's diplomacy being used there, which is awesome. And let's check out if there's anything deeper on that. David, the second kingdis Jill, is renowned not only as a military proudness poetic contributions to the songs, but also for his diplomatic acumen. His reign is recorded in the books of Samuel, Kings and chronicles, showcases a leader who skillfully navigated the complex political landscape of the ancient Near East. David's diplomacy was instrument in uniting the tribes of Israel and establishing a strong, centralized kingdom.
Speaker 2: Okay, so we have that. Awesome.
Speaker 1: Also he unified Israel, which is going to happen here pretty soon. So now we're going to be in Second Samuel three, verse seventeen. Now Abner had communicated with the elders of Israel, saying, in time past you were seeking for David to be king over you. Now then do it, for the Lord has spoken to David, saying, by the hand of my servant David, I will save my people Israel from the hand of the Philistines and the hand of all their enemies. And Abner, who spoke in the hearing of Benjamin. Then Abner also went to speak in the hearing of David in Hebron that all seemed good to Israel and the whole house of Benjamin. So Abner and twenty men with him came to David at Hebron, and David made a feast for Abner and the men who were with him. Then Abner said to David, I will rise, I will arise and go and gather all Israel to my lord the King, and they may make a covenant with you, that you may reign over all that your heart desires. So David sent Abner away and he went in peace. So it sounds good, right, sounds like everything's kosher. But there's a problem, And I'm gonna go over the problem right here before we read Second Samuel three. So back in second Samuel, back in second Samuel two, verses eighteen through thirty two. Problem happened, all right, So Abner killed a shield during a battle as described in the biblical account of Samuel two verses eighteen through thirty two, which we're gonna.
Speaker 2: Read really quick. Okay, let me go ahead and read that really fast for you guys. So we know why Joe ab ends up doing what he does.
Speaker 1: Okay, So second Samuel two, and we're gonna be eighteen through thirty two.
Speaker 2: All right, it says.
Speaker 1: Now the three sons of Zara were there, Joe ab and A and a Shield. And as Sheel was as fleet of foot as a wild gazelle. So as Shield pursued Abner, and in going he did not turn to the right hand or to the left from following Abner. Then Abner looked behind him and said, are you as Siel? And he answered I am. And Abner said to him, turn aside to your right hand and to your left, and lay hold on one of the young men, and take his armor for yourself. But as Shield would not turn aside, then follow from following him. So Abner said again to a Shield, turn aside from following me. Why should I strike you to the ground? How could I face your brother Joe abb However, he refused to turn aside. Therefore Abner struck him in the stomach with the blunt end of a spear, so that the spear came out of his back. He fell down there and died on the spot.
Speaker 2: So that was as many.
Speaker 1: So it was that as many as came to the place where a shield fell down and died stood still. Joe Abb and Abashi also pursued Abner, and the sun was going down when they came to the hill and Amah, which is before Goya and the road of wilderness a gibbeon. Now the children of Benjamin gathered together behind Abner and became a unit and took their stand on top of a hill. Then Abner called to Joe ab and said, shall the sword devour forever? Do you not know what it will be that will be better to the It'll be bitter to the later end. How will it be then until you tell the people to return for pursuing their brethren. And Joeb said, as God lives. Unless you had spoken surely, then by mourning all the people would have given up pursuing their brethren. So joeab blew a trumpet, and all the people stood still and did not pursue Israel anymore, nor did they fight anymore. Then Abner and his men went all throughout the night through the plane crossed over the Jordan and went through all Bithron and came Domineum. So Joe ab returned from pursuing Abner, and when he had gathered all the people together. There were missing of David's servants nineteen men and as shield. But the servants of David had struck down and Benjamin and Abner's men three hundred and sixty who died when they took up a shield and buried him in the father's tomb, which is in Bethlehem. And Joe Ab, it says, and Joe Ab sorry, Benjamin had struck down in Benjamin and Abner's men three hundred men, so they took a shield and buried him in his father's tomb, which was in Bethlehem. And Joeab and his men went all night and they came to Hebron at daybreak. So that way you get some context of what's going on with what's about to happen right here. So Abner killed Joe AB's brother, all right, and when that happens, that is going to affect you tremendously, right because my brother, If something happened to my brother, it would definitely affect me tremendously. So what we have here is Joe AB's revenge. Joe Ab murders Abner is what the title for this is. So you're gonna see what happens. So it says Second Samuel three, verse twenty two. At that moment, the servants of David and Joe Abb came from a raid and brought much spoil with them. But Abner was not with David in hebron for he had sent him away and he had gone in peace. Then Joe Ab and all the troops who were with him had come, and they told Joe Ab saying, Abner the son of Ner came to the king and he sent him away, and he has gone in peace. Then Joe ab the son of Ner, or sorry, Joe Abb, came to the king and said, what have you done? Look, Abner came to you. Why is it that you sent him away? And he has gone already gone. Surely you realize that Abner, the son of Aner came to deceive you, to know that you're going out and you're coming in, and to know all that you are doing. Now, I'm just gonna let you guys know that he has no proof of what he's saying. Right there, he is saying that he's deceiving you because he probably.
Speaker 2: Thinks that.
Speaker 1: He probably thinks that's dynasty wouldn't come over and do that, right, So he probably thinks he's deceiving him, but he doesn't have any proof of that, so he's kind of he's lying to David right here, so he's probably just assuming that he's going to be deceiving him. It doesn't have proof of it. And it says in Second Samuel three, verse twenty six, and when Joe ab had gone from David's presence, he said, messengers after Abner who brought him back from the Well of Sarah, but David did not know it, so David didn't send any them to go get Abner. Okay, this is coming straight from Joe ab Now, when Abner had returned to Hebron, this is verse twenty seven. Now, Now, when Abner had returned to Hebron, Joe ab took him aside in the gate to speak with them privately, and there stabbed him in the stomach and then he died for the blood of a shield his brother. Okay, so this is all behind the scenes. Okay, this is not something that he did that David said to do. But this causes a lot of problems because Abner was trying to bring people there to make peace with obviously David, and also for everybody to swear in David as the king of all of Israel. So let's see what it says here in Tewod Samuel three, verse twenty eight. Afterward, when David heard it, he said, my kingdom and I are guiltiless before the Lord forever of the blood of Abner, the son of Nerd. Let it rest on the head of Joab and all the father's house, and.
Speaker 2: Let there be failed to be.
Speaker 1: Let there never fail to be the house of Joab one of one who has a discharge, or is a leper who leans on a staff or falls by the sword, who lacks bread. So Joab and Abshai, his brother killed Abner because he had killed the brother Ashil and a Gibeon in the battle. So which is what we would just went over. So we already kind of went over those verses. But we'll we'll go ahead and check out joe AB's revenge. Here it says Joeab David's MILLI tell you this is in my notes. David's military commander murders Abner and retaliation for his brother of Shil's death. This act of vengeance complicates the political landscape and highlights the challenges David's face. David faces in unifying the kingdom the north and the south right, So it's.
Speaker 2: Kind of interesting that that happened.
Speaker 1: And uh, let's uh dig a little deeper. Joeab, the son of ZIAI, was a prominent military commander in the service of King David, known for his strategic acumen and fierce loyalty to David. Joab's life was marked by a series of complex and often violent actions, including acts of revenge, that played significant roles in the political and military landscape of David's landscape of Israel during David's reign. Joe Ab was a nephew of King David, being the son of David's sister ZIAI, which I didn't know that.
Speaker 2: That's very interesting. He first rose to prominence as a military.
Speaker 1: Leader during David's campaign against Thebu side it's capturing Jerusalem and establishing establishing it as a capital of Israel. Joe AB's position as commander of David's army was solidified through his military success and his unwavering support for David during times of eternal strife. We already read about the murder of Abner, all right, and there's going to be some more stuff in Second Samuel twenty which I don't want to go over looks like Joe Ab kind of because I don't want to give you, guys.
Speaker 2: Any spoiler alerts.
Speaker 1: So conclusion, Joe AB's life and actions serve as a complex narrative of loyalty, ambition, and the consequences of revenge within the biblical history of Israel. His account is a testament of the intricate interplay of personal motives and divine providence in the unfolding of God's plan for his people. Now, right, so we have that, and all right, now let's go ahead and continue. We're in Second Samuel three, verse thirty one. Okay, cool, perfect, all right, Verse thirty one. Second Samuel three, verse thirty one. It's David's mourning of Abner. Then David said to Joe Ab, to all the people who were with him, tear your clothes, gird yourself with sackcloth, and mourn for Abner. The king followed the coffin. So they buried Abner and hebron and the king lifted up his voice and wept at the grave of Abner, and all the people wept. And the king is saying a lambnate over Abner, and said, should Abner die as a fool dies, your hands were not bound, nor your feet put in fetters. As a man falls before wicked men, so you fell. Then all the people wept over him again. Verse thirty five is next. It says, and when all the people came to persuade David to eat food while it was still day, David took an oath, saying, God, do so to me, and more also, if I taste bread or anything.
Speaker 2: Else till the sun goes down.
Speaker 1: Now all the people took note of it and pleased them, since whatever the king did pleased all the people. For the people in all Israel understood that that day that it had not been the king's intent to kill Abner, the son of Ner. Then the king said to his servants, do you not know that a prince and a great man has fallen this day in Israel? And I am weak today through annoyed though annoyed king, and all these men, the sons of Zarah are too harsh for me. The Lord shall.
Speaker 2: Repay the evil due according to his wickedness. Because to us.
Speaker 1: We kind of understand, like, oh, I understand why Joab would do that. But you got to understand that Abner when he killed Joab's brother. It was self defense. The guy kept following him, right, and he kept on and Abner kept telling him to leave. He doesn't want to kill him, right, He gave him two chances, and he kept following him. He actually told him to go get the armor, and he didn't end up doing that.
Speaker 2: He just ended up following him. Still. You know, So Joe.
Speaker 1: AB's brother gets gets slayed by Abner. But that is during battle. Okay, they're fighting and a lot of men got he lost a lot of men, Okay, so during that battle, so obviously he's going to be on the defensive. And he's also this is self defense when he when he killed his uh, Joe AB's brother. But Joe Ab, Joe Ab did it out of revenge, which is different, right, That's different. That's why, Uh, that's why David is calling it a wickedness because now if David the King would have spoken to God, and God would have would have told David, hey, don't trust Abner. You need to have Joe app take care of Abner, then that's different. It's coming from the Lord, right, But that's not what happened. Joe Ab took it upon himself. Uh used the act of vengeance, and he complicated the political lands escape for David, which is not cool. And then it made more challenges for David as he's trying to unify the kingdom, which is not good.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: That's causing problems for David and also causing problems because he wants to try to unify the North in the South, and it's very hard to do that when you have job over here taking out Abner.
Speaker 2: So David saying that he's going.
Speaker 1: To be repaid, the evildoer will be repaid according to his wickedness.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: So, okay, we're done with chapter three and we have some practical applications. One of them is trusting God's timing. Just as David's rise to power was gradual, we must trust in God's timing and remain patient as his plans unfold in our lives.
Speaker 2: So David, like I said, he reigned in Judah for seven and a half years up to this point.
Speaker 1: Okay, but it was even longer that he was told that he was going to be king. I don't know exactly the length of time up to this point, but he waited at least seven and a half years.
Speaker 2: So sometimes we would trust.
Speaker 1: God's timing, remain patient, right, so as God's plan is going to unfold in.
Speaker 2: Our lives secret reconciliation.
Speaker 1: Like David, we should pursue peace and reconciliation even with those who have opposed us, recognizing the potential for God's purposes to be fulfilled through restore relationships. Guard against personal ambition after the story warns us of the dangers of allowing personal ambition to drive our decisions, reminding us to seek God's will above our own desires.
Speaker 2: So that's what I mean.
Speaker 1: I think that if David would have went to God and asked him about Abner, and God would have responded to not trust Abner, then that's different. But no, that's not what happened. Joe av took it upon himself to take out vengeance, and that's.
Speaker 2: Not what we should do.
Speaker 1: We should wait for God's will and we know God's purpose right, and then, yeah, God's will above our own desires. So respond with integrity is the next one. David's response to Abner's death teaches us the importance of maintaining integrity and righteousness even when faced with betrayal or injustice. Okay, so let's go ahead and check out some additional scriptures that connect. We got Proverbs sixteen, verse nine. A man's heart plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps. This verse echoes the theme of God's sovereignty over human plans seen in Tewod Samuel chapter three, Romans.
Speaker 2: Twelve, verse eighteen.
Speaker 1: If it is possible on your part, live at peace with everyone, This New Testament exhortation aligns with David's effort to establish peace with Abder. Next one we have is James Chapter one, nineteen through twenty. Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to anger, for man's anger does not belong about the righteousness, does not bring about the righteousness that God desires. Joe AB's actions contrasts with his teaching, highlighting the need for self control.
Speaker 2: So there we go.
Speaker 1: Now we are done with chapter three. We're going to be in chapter four. Now there we go, Second Samuel, chapter four. Let me pull it up on my screen as well. All right, so let me read the introduction. We have a Tewod Samuel four, chapter four introduction, the murder of Ish Boss Cheth. And I won't be saying that word for until I read Second Samuel again.
Speaker 2: Because it says that he.
Speaker 1: Gets murdered here, so I don't probably want to hear that name again. It's so hard for me to pronounce it says the tragic events, and Second Samuel four reminds us that the shortcuts to power often lead to downfall. Instead of rewarding the murderers of Ishbosheth, David enacted divine justice, underlying the importance of righteousness and integrity even in challenging situations. This teaches us that true leadership doesn't compromise on doesn't compromise on values and principles for temporary gains. A great introduction there, and let's go ahead.
Speaker 2: And start.
Speaker 1: Second Samuel for four chapter one. When Saul's Sun heard that Abner had died in Hebron, he lost heart and all Israel was troubled. Now Salsun had two men who were captains of troops. The name of one was Banah, and the name of the other is Racab, the sons of Remen and Beathite. The Barathite of the children of Benjamin from Barroth also was part of Benjamin because the Beathites fled to get him in and had been sojourners until this day. Jonathan's Saul's son had a son who was lame in his feet.
Speaker 2: He was five years.
Speaker 1: Old when he heard when the news about Saul and Jonathan came from Israel, about Jonathan and Saul dying. And his nurse took him up and fled, And it happened as she made haste to flee, he had fell and became lame. His name was me Basheth. Then the sons of Remen, the Bethelite, Racab and Banah set out and came at about the heat of the day to the house of Eshabeth, who was lying on his bed at noon. And they came there all the way into the house, and as though to get wheat, and they stabbed him in the stomach.
Speaker 2: Then recab.
Speaker 1: But now his brother escaped, for when they came into the house, he was lying on his bed in his bedroom. Then they struck him and killed him, beheaded him and took his head, and all and where all night escaping through the plane. And they brought the head of Isabeth to David at hebron and said and said to the King, here's the head of Eshabeth, the son of saw your enemy, who sought your life. And the lord was has avenged my lord the king this day saw and his descendants.
Speaker 2: Whoa dang. I don't know if.
Speaker 1: We'll see what David's going to say about that. So let's go ahead and check out the context of political turmoil here. In the first chapter, it says after Saul's death, Israel was divided, with Eshabeth ruling over Israel and David over Judah. The division set the stage for the events and second Samuel four the act of betrayal banal Racab captains of Ishabeth's rating bands assassinate him while he is resting, demonstrating a lack of loyalty and integrity. So that's what goes on, you know, we just read that between five and chapter eight. The act of betrayals a recurring theme throughout the Bible, often depicted as a grievous sin that disrupts relationships and leads to significant consequences. Betrayal involves a breach of trust and loyalty, typically by someone close to the victim, and is considered a profound moral falling failing sorry. And then in chapter eight or verse eight, the murders believe that they would be rewarded by David for their treachery. Highlighting how human ambition can lead to moral blindness.
Speaker 2: So what they're thinking.
Speaker 1: Is, will kill him, says David's going to be reigning anyways, we might so just kill him and bring David his head because maybe, you know.
Speaker 2: They probably think that.
Speaker 1: That David's going to take care of them now and accept them into his army or something. Let's see what David's response is. Second Samuel four, verse nine. But David answered Recab and Banah his brother, the sons of Rimon Baathiet, and said to them, as the Lord lives, who has redeemed my life from all adversity. When someone told me saying, look Saul is dead, thinking we have brought good news, I arrested him and had him executed by Ziglag, the one who thought I would give him reward for his news. How much more, when wicked men have killed a righteous person in his own house on his bed, therefore shall I not require his blood at your hand and remove you from the earth. So David commanded his young men, and they executed them, cut off their hands and feet, wow, and hang them by the pool, and hebron But they took the head of ishboth and buried it in the tomb of Abner in hebron Wow. Okay, so you see how David kind of had a more righteous response.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: He's not gonna take the head and say, yeah, I appreciate you, will, come on, you can join my army like maybe like the Pagans would do.
Speaker 2: He handles it in a different way.
Speaker 1: And David condemns the murder of ishboth here this is in my notes, emphasizing that he does not condone such acts of treachery, instead seeks justice. And David has had some righteous responses throughout the Bible, sparing Saul's life right in First Samuel twenty four, and.
Speaker 2: A couple times, right he.
Speaker 1: In Abigail's intervention, he did accept her intervention without going in there and trying to kill and First Samuel twenty five, verses thirty two and thirty three, Second Samuel one. David's response to the death of Saul. He takes out the respect for God's judgment, right, So when he takes when he takes out the people that killed Saul, like he's saying here. So there's a lot of different times that David has had the correct response, right, So all right, just want a righteous response is what it's saying God's sovereignty and justice. This chapter underscores that God's justice prevails, and he uses David to uphold righteousness even when others act wickedly. So this chapter is super quick, even the when I was, even when I was studying this with the pastor that he read over this chapter super quick. Three takes a little while because there's more deep in depth stuff in chapter three.
Speaker 2: Chapter four is kind of a quick little story, real quick.
Speaker 1: Kind of goes fast, right, so perfect, Now, I do have some notes for second Samuel five. I want to go to real quick, perfect all right, So let me just go over some practical applications for this chapter. Integrity in leadership, Like David, we should uphold integrity and righteousness.
Speaker 2: Even when others around.
Speaker 1: Us act deceitfully. Okay, so you see that David has integrity. Right, He's not going to just accept that guy's head and say, all right, perfect, come join my military. Now he acts righteously. Trust in God's justice in times of injustice. Trust that God sees all and will bring about his justice and his perfect timing.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Trust in God's justice, avoid misguided ambition, evaluate your motives, and ensure that your ambitions align with God's will, avoiding actions that compromise our integrity. That happens a lot in life. Right, that's great words of advice. Evaluate your motives and ensure that our ambitions aligned with God's will and actions. Avoid actions that compromise our integrity.
Speaker 2: That's so good. I'm gonna just take a picture of it so that I have it for later. Evaluate. I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: Responding to betrayal. When face with betrayal, seek God's guidance to respond with wisdom and righteousness rather than retaliation. Definitely okay, When face with betrayal, seek God's guidance.
Speaker 2: Right, pray to God.
Speaker 1: So when something happens to you, you got to pray to God because you don't want to act emotionally, and you don't want to try to get revenge, and you don't want to do certain things I can put you in jail.
Speaker 2: You need to seek God right because he'll.
Speaker 1: Give you guidance, because you know, if that's Some people divulge to me information about their relationships with their wives, and and you know, obviously I try to tell them not to react in a bad way. You know, when things happen with other men, trying to get involved with your wife or something.
Speaker 2: Try to tell them to not.
Speaker 1: React when betrayal happens, to seek guidance from God and to make sure that you handle it like how Jesus wants you to handle it. That's how I have to tell people. Now, I do tell them. Obviously I'm a human and you're a human, and that's the way we react that way naturally. But we have to understand the most important thing is for us to get to Heaven right. We want to make sure that we seek the Kingdom of God.
Speaker 2: First.
Speaker 1: We love God more than we love our wives. We love God more than we love our life. We love God more than we love anything. And the way that we show that is by our actions. So when somebody does something to you, like betrayal or something that's really bad, your actions determine whether you are fully you know, mature and in Christ, or whether you're still immature in Christ and you're gonna just act on emotion.
Speaker 2: So yes, this is really really a great advice.
Speaker 1: So when Facebook betrayal, seek God's guidance to respond with wisdom and righteousness rather than retaliation.
Speaker 2: Everybody needs to hear that.
Speaker 1: Including me, because that's a really really good another great word of advice. There some connecting scriptures.
Speaker 2: We have.
Speaker 1: Additional scriptures that connect would be Proverbs twenty one, verse three. To do righteousness and justice is more desirable to the Lord than sacrifice. Okay, obedience and justice is more desirable to the Lord than sacrifice. Proverbs twenty one three, and then Romans twelve, verse nineteen, do not avenge yourselfs beloved, but leave room for God's wrath, for it has written vengeance's mind. I will repay, says the Lord.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: Then we also have Psalms seven, verse twenty eight, for the Lord loves justice and will not forsake his saints. They are preserved forever.
Speaker 2: But the offspring of the wicked will be cut off. All right. I love that.
Speaker 1: We will not forsake his saints. And that's not talking about saints like the Catholic Church saints. We those that are saved. We are all saints. Okay, we got to understand that Biblically, we are all saints. If we are saved and born again, we don't need to wait for someone that's a priest to confirm us as a saint. Right, all right, let's go ahead and continue. I'll go to a second Samuel chapter five on here, and then also second Chamuel chapter five, so I can go over the intro.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: So finally we have David anointing King of Israel Second Samuel five and bodies the profound transition of David from a fugitive to a respectful king. His patience, obedience, and reliance on God for directions stands out, ultimately leading to his success. David's life shows us that faith coupled with humility and obedience paves the way for God's blessing. Just as David transformed Jerusalem into a place of glory and honor, God can work wonders in our lives, transforming our trials into triumphs.
Speaker 2: Man, that's really awesome.
Speaker 1: David shows us that faith coupled with humility and obedience paves the way for God's blessing. I like that part as well, I really do.
Speaker 2: I'm going to take a picture of that too.
Speaker 1: When I see certain things, I like to kind of some great knowledge, you know, we should live like that, have faith coupled with humility and obedience. It'll pave the way for God's blessings.
Speaker 2: Right, Love that all right?
Speaker 1: So let's go ahead and start Second Samuel five, Verse one, David reigns over all Israel. Then all the tribes of Israel came to David at Hebron and spoke saying, indeed, we are your bone and your flesh. Also in time passed when Saul was king over us, you were the one who led Israel out and brought them in. And the Lord said to you you shall you shall shepherd my people Israel and be a ruler over Israel. Therefore, all the elders of Israel came to the king at Hebron, and King David made a covenant with them at Hebron before the Lord, and they anointed.
Speaker 2: David king over Israel.
Speaker 1: David was thirty years old when he began to reign, and he reigned forty years. In Hebron, he reigned over Judah seven years and six months, which I told you guys, he reigned for seven and a half years, and in Jerusalem he reigned thirty three years over all Israel and Judah thirty three years. Interesting because Jesus lived thirty three years before he started his ministry, right, and the conquest of Jerusalem. Actually, you know, let me read my notes. Here it says, David anointed as king. Then all the tribes of Israel came to David at Hebron and said, here we are your own flesh and blood. This moment signifies the unity of Israel under David's leadership and the fulfillment.
Speaker 2: Of God's promise. Let's look a little deeper in this did I click that.
Speaker 1: David's anointing as king is a pivotal event in the biblical narrative, mark in the transition from the rule of Saul to the establishment of the Davidic dynasty. This event is recorded in the books of First Samuel on Second Samuel, and it highlights God's sovereign choice and the unfolding of his divine plan for Israel. So the first annoying occurred in First Samuel sixteen, after God rejects Saul as king due to his disobedience.
Speaker 2: What you guys already know about, right, So.
Speaker 1: The significance, let's see what the significance of this David's anoying is a significant is significant for several reasons. It underscores the theme of divine election, as God chooses David, a shepherd boy over more outwardly impressive brothers over Saul, the people's choice. David's annoying also for shadows the coming of the Messiah, as the Davidic line is essential to the Messianic prophecy. The annoying signifies the empowerment of the Holy Spirit, which equips David for his role as king. Throughout his reign, David is known as a man after God's own heart, despite his imperfections, and his annoying sets the stage for the establishment of a kingdom that would ultimately lead to the birth of Jesus Christ, the son of David. Amen to that. So let's go ahead and go back. And also David's covenant with Israel and King David made a covenant with them at Hebron before the Lord, and they anointed him king over Israel. David's leadership is rooted in a covenant relationship, emphasizing the importance of commitment and accountability. And let's go ahead and continue the conquest of Jerusalem. Tewod Samuel five, verse six. And the king and his men went to Israel went to Jerusalem against the Jebusites, the inhabitants of the land, who spoke to David saying, you shall not come in here, but the blind and the lame will repel you, thinking David cannot come in here. Nevertheless, David took the stronghold of Zion, that is the city of David.
Speaker 2: Is what it says here.
Speaker 1: And one thing I want to tell you is Bethlehem is called the city of David. And also Jerusalem is also called the City of David right here, Okay, so there's no conflict there. Just so David called Jerusalem the city of David because he conquered it, and then they called Bethlehem the city of David because that's where David was born. Okay, Bethlehem is called the city of David in the New Testament. Jerusalem is called the city of David in the Old Testament.
Speaker 2: All right, So.
Speaker 1: Conquest to Jerusalem, David captures the fortress of Zion, that is the city of David. This strategic victory establishes Jerusalem as the political and spiritual center over Israel, over Israel, and it says that the I'll just read a little further into the conquest of Jerusalem. It's a significant event in Biblical history, marking the transition of the city into the hands of the Israelites under King David. This event is pivotal in understanding Jerusalem as the political and spiritual center of Israel. What's the historical context. Jerusalem, known as Jebis at the time, was inhabited by the Jebusites, a Canaanite tribe. The city was strategically located on a hill, making a formidable fortress. Despite its central location in the Promised Land, Jerusalem remained unconquered during the initial Israelite settlement under Joshua. The Jebusites continued to inhabit the city, as noted in Joshua fifteen, verse sixty three, but the descendants of Judah could not drive them out. The Jebisides who lived in Jerusalem, so to this day, the Jebisites lived there with the descendants of Judah. That's what spoke about in Joshua fifteen sixty three. David's conquests and the conquest of Jerusalem is detailed in Tewod Samuel five, verses six through ten and First Chronicles eleven, verses four through nine. After being annoyed King over all Israel, Da sought to establish a capital that was centrally located and politically neutral. Jerusalem situated on the border between the tribes of Benjamin and Judah was the ideal choice, and Saku Samuel five six to seven recounts the event. Now, the king and his men marched to Jerusalem against the Jebisites who inhabited the land, and the Jebisites said to David, you will never get in here. Even the blind and lame can repel you, thinking David cannot give get in here. Nevertheless, David captured the fortress of Zion, that is, the.
Speaker 2: City of David.
Speaker 1: David's men, led by Joe Ab access the city throughout the water shaft as a strategic move, which we're probably gonna be Yeah, we're gonna be hearing that now. So I don't really want to read that because I don't want to ruin it for you guys, But I'll go here. The legacy the conquest of Jerusalem set the stage for the central role and the biblical history. It became the site of Solomon's Temple, the center of Jewish worship, and latter the focal point of Jesus' ministry and crucifixion. Jerusalem remains a city of profound religious significance, revered by Jews, Christians, and Muslims.
Speaker 2: Alike.
Speaker 1: So very interesting there. Good, good to kind of learn the historical context as you're reading.
Speaker 2: Okay, here we go.
Speaker 1: We're in second Samuel five, verse eight. Now David said, on that day, whoever climbs up by the way of the water shaft and defeats the Jebusites, the lame and the blind, who who were hated by David soul, he shall be a chief and captain. Therefore they say, the blind and the lame shall not come into this house.
Speaker 2: Into the house.
Speaker 1: Then, now David said, oh yeah, I'm sorry. Then David dwelt in the stronghold and called it the city of David.
Speaker 2: And David built.
Speaker 1: All around from the milo and inward. So David went on and became great, and the Lord God of Hosts was with him. We have David growing power, and David became greater and greater, for the Lord, God of Hosts was with him. That's in Second Samuel five, verse ten, which we just read. David's success is attributed to God's presence in favor, highlighting the necessity of divine support and leadership. David, the son of Jesse is known one of the prominent figures in the Bible, best known for his rise from humble beginnings to become the king of Israel. His journey to power is marked by divine favor, military proudness, and political acumen, as chronicled and the books First Samuel, Tewond Samuel, and First Chronicles. Okay, so I just want to tell you guys that give you guys a little history on that, all right, So let's go out and continue Second Samuel five, verse eleven. Then Haram, king of Tyree, sent messages to David and cedar trees and carpenters and masons, and they built David a house. So David knew that the Lord had established him as a as king over Israel, and he had exalted his kingdom for the sake of his people Israel. And David took more concubines and wives from Jerusalem after he had come from Hebron. Also more sons and daughters were born to David. Now that now their names, uh, Now these are the names of those who were born to him in Jerusalem. Shama show show Abab, Nathan, Solomon, ibpar Elishua, uh Nakha, Jepiah, Elishama, Elieida, and Ela, Eliphat.
Speaker 2: Alphalett. Sorry, so Yeah, very interesting. So I don't know what happened to the other sons. I'll have to read about them.
Speaker 1: Well, we know about Solomon and Nathan, but I have to I have to see what it's what it what the Bible meant about.
Speaker 2: The other sons. We'll see a name. Let me see if let me see if there's a there's kind of a list like I had earlier, of his other sons, all of.
Speaker 3: List of all of David's sons, sons in Hebron, I'm on kill you.
Speaker 1: Sons born in Jerusalem is Samal show, Nathan and Solomon. Other sons born in Jerusalem, ignorant Lucia Elliott. Wow, he has a lot of sons. Wow, so we have Yeah, so I don't really have a list of what happens to the other sons, but I'm sure we'll find out as we read. All Right, So now we're going to talk about the Philistines defeated. This is going to be two Samuel five, verse seventeen. Now, when the Philistines heard that they had annointed David king over Israel, all the Philistines went up to search for David, and David heard of it and went down to the stronghold. The Philistines also went and deployed themselves in the valley of Rafayem.
Speaker 2: Rapaem.
Speaker 1: Are you know they're giants, So that's really interesting that that they posted up in the valley of Raphaim. So David inquired to the Lord, saying, shall I go up against the Philistines? Will you deliver them into my hand? And the Lord said that David go up, for I will I will doubtless deliver the Philistines into your hand. Okay, so David has reassurance from the Lord. All right, It's it's good that David went to get the Lord first before he acted, right. So it says here in my notes that David inquired to the Lord, shall I.
Speaker 2: Go up against the Philistines?
Speaker 1: Will you deliver them into my hand? David's reliance on God's guidance in battle demonstrates his dependence on divine wisdom. So yeah, I love how David does that. And God cannot lie. So if he tells you that I will I will deliver the Philistines into your hand, that's what is going to happen, right, And David knows that. So let's go and continue. For Samuel five verse twenty. So David went to bail Parizin, and David defeated them there, and he said, the Lord has broken through my enemies before me, like a breakthrough of water. Therefore he called the name of that place bail Prasine. And they left their images there, and David and his men carried them away. Then the Philistines went up once again and deployed themselves in the valley of Raphaem. Therefore David inquired to the Lord, and he said, you shall not go up, circle around behind them, and come upon them in front of the mobray tree, And it shall be when you hear the sound of the marching in the tops of the mulberry trees, then you shall advance quickly, for then the Lord will go out before you to strike the camp of the Philistines. And David did so, and the Lord commanded him as the Lord commanded him, and he drove back the Philistines from Ghibba as.
Speaker 2: Far as Gazir.
Speaker 1: So the way that the Lord speaks there, I think is very interesting. Right it says, for then the Lord will go out before you to strike the camp of the Philistines. So what does that mean? Like, what does it mean for him to strike the camp of the Philistines. Does that mean that the Lord ends up sending angels to strike the Philistines?
Speaker 2: I mean, I wonder what that means. I could look up a good.
Speaker 1: Good Okay, So I just want to look this up real quick. Sick can't second Samuel five twenty four. God giving David's specific unusual signal the sound of marching in the top of Mobish is a divine instruction of attack the Philistines. This verse teaches the importance of seeking God's guidance, being attentive to his timing and directions, and actively participating in faith by acting for his promises even when the instructions seemed unconventional. The sound to signify that God was going ahead of Israel to grant them victory. So what does that mean though God's just seemed to instruction, Yeah, divine confirmation that God's a God's army.
Speaker 2: Sound.
Speaker 1: The sound was not just the wind. It was described as the sound of marching, implying an unseen divine army that was striking the enemy's camp. Oh wow, Okay, this is pretty cool interpretation of the signal, defining confirmation the sound was God's way of confirming that he was actively involved in battle, preparing the way for Israel's advance.
Speaker 2: So that's what it was.
Speaker 1: It was a divine army that came instruct the Philistines. Can you imagine being the Philistines and a divine army comes and attacks you, wouldn't you kind of think twice about going back and trying to fight David and the Israelites After you are in the Valley of Raphaim, which is like the Valley of the Dead, and then all of a sudden, God brings his divine army to come and attack you. Psychological warfare. The noise, possibly confusing and terrifying, would have created panic among the Philistine ranks, giving the Israelites an advantage. Key principles from the verse. God's instruction often involves specific timing, and God's people must wait for a signal rather than acting prematurely. While God provides the victory, his people must be ready to act in faith and be willing to follow his lead even when it requires seemingly strange or difficult strategy. God's presence the passage underscores that God fights for his people and his active presence is the source of their victory, spiritual readiness. When God's spirit is at work, or when there are signs of God's movement, it should awaken believers to be prepared to move forward in faith. How interesting they're yeah, very very interesting stuff. I like to dig a little deeper there, because I'm like, what does that mean that the Lord will go out before you to strike the camp with the Philistines? Is he literally going out there to strike the camp? And it sounds like he might have brought an army. Okay, so all right, and I did have what did I have? Abide in me and in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself unless it abides in the vine, neither can you. Unless you abide in me. I am the vine. You are the branches. Whoever abides in me, I in him, it is he is, it is that bears much fruit. For apart from me, you can do nothing. That's in John fifteen, verses four through five. That's one that's a connecting scripture. And then also we have some practical applications.
Speaker 2: Let's go over those real quick.
Speaker 1: Seek unity, just as David united the tribes of Israel, strive to foster unity in your community and I'm not trying to RhE in there, okay, I'm not trying to wrap here. Foster unity in your community and relationships, okay, seek unity. Honor commitments. Follow David's example by honoring your commitments and covenants, whether in marriage, work, or faith. Prioritize God's guidance is another one in decision making. Seek God's wisdom and direction, as David did before engaging in battle. Acknowledge God's role and success. Recognize and give thanks to God's hand in your achievements and growth. Establish a spiritual center. Make your home or heart a place where God is honored and His presence is central. Okay, And just let you know these Even the pastors that were preaching on these subjects that I was kind of studying, they kind of go through these chapters fairly quickly, right, So just letting you know that there's there's some good meat here, but it kind of it kind of goes faster because it's kind of like stories than commentary. So okay, some connection scriptures would be First Samuel sixteen, verse thirteen. David's initial anointing by Samuel foreshadow his future kingship, which we kind of talked about, earlier. Psalm's twenty three a psalm of David reflecting his trust in God's guidance and provision. Proverbs three, verses five through six. Encouragement and trust in the Lord, and seek his guidance in all your ways. Pheasians four or verse three, a call to maintain unity and spirit three bond of peace. Let's go ahead and go to a Pheasians four verse three and see what it says. A Pheasians four verse three says, I will start it too, with all lowliness and gentleness, with long suffering, bearing with one another in love, endeavoring to keep the unity of the spirit in the bond of peace. So a call to maintain unity and spirit through the bond of piece is what it says here in my notes. Okay, so we have that, and then David's Psalm twenty three.
Speaker 4: Let's go ahead and check that out real quick.
Speaker 1: The Lord, the Lord, the shepherd of his people, Psalm twenty three says. This is a verse one. The Lord is my shepherd. I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastwards, he leads me beside the still waters. He restores my soul. He leads me in the past of righteousness for his name's sake. Yeah, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of.
Speaker 2: Death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me.
Speaker 1: Your rod and your staff they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil. My cup runs over. Surely, goodness and mercy shall follow me and all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the House of the Lord forever.
Speaker 2: Very awesome.
Speaker 1: I love that it's reflecting his trust in God's guidance and provision.
Speaker 2: There. Perfect, Okay, cool, So.
Speaker 1: We're kind of done with moving right along here, I mean with chapter five. We're moving right along to chapter six here.
Speaker 4: Okay, what's going on here? No, we want to have we want to go to chapter six. Man, I don't know why, but okay, let's try this. Yeah, my my phone.
Speaker 1: Is a little bit slow right now. Yep, that's what I want. I want six.
Speaker 2: There we go.
Speaker 1: Perfect, All right, So we're gonna go ahead and read the introduction to chapter six.
Speaker 2: Go back to here. Boom, bring that up. Okay, So.
Speaker 1: David fetches the art. The account of Second Samuel six teaches us the importance of respecting the holiness of God and following his laws with utmost obedien. It also illustrates the magnitude of genuine worship, genuine worship and how it can lead to divine blessings. Even though David was a king, he humbled himself before God, teaching us to put our status aside when it comes to praising the Lord. All right, so let's go ahead and start with two Samuel sixth, verse one, The Ark brought to Jerusalem.
Speaker 2: Again.
Speaker 1: David gathered all the choice men of Israel. Thirty thousand and David arose and went with all the people who were with him, bailed Judah Belley Judah to bring up from the Ark of God, whose name is called by the name the Lord of Host, who dwells between the Cheruboom. So let's see what's going on here. The ark's significance, The Ark of the Covenant represented God's presence among his people. David's desire to bring it to Jerusalem highlights the importance of God's presence in the life of Israel. So the ARC's significance, let's go ahead and pull that up real quick, so you guys know why he's even doing this. The Ark of the Covenant holds a central place in biblical history and theology, symbolizing God's presence, covenant.
Speaker 2: And holiness.
Speaker 1: It is first introduced in the Book of Exodus as a sacred chest built by the Israelites under the direction of Moses following God's specific instructions. The ark was constructed from acacia wood and overlaid in pure gold, featuring a gold lid. Notice the mercy seat with two cherubooms facing each other. The arc is primarily seen as a tangible representation of God's presence among his people and Exodus twenty five, verse twenty two, God declares, and I will meet with you there above the mercy seat, between the two cherryboom that are over the Ark of the Testimony, or the Ark of the Covenant. I will speak to you about all that I command you regarding the Israelites. This verse underscores the arc as a focal point of divine communication and guidance. The ark also signifies the covenant between God and Israel. It housed the two stone tablets of the Ten Commandments, which are described as the Tablets of the Covenant Deuonomy nine to nine. These tablets represent God's law and his covenanial relationship between his chosen people. The ark therefore serves as a constant reminder of the Israelites' obligations to uphold God's commandments holiness and reverence. The ARC's holiness is emphasized throughout the scripture. It is kept Sorry, let me just I clicked off that the ARC's holiness is emphasized throughout scripture. It is kept in the most holy place in the Tabernacle on later the temple, where the high priests could where only the high priests could enter once a year on the day atonement. The arcs sanctify is further highlighted in the account of Zaw, who was struck dead for touching it inappropriately Second Samuel six through seven. This incident illustrates the necessity of reverence and obedience to God's instruction regarding holy objects. The arc also played a significant role in Israel's military and political life. It was carried into battle as a symbol of God's power and favor, as seen in the conquests of Jericho and Joshua six Versus six to seven. However, the misuse of the arc is as a mere talesman as in the battle against the Philistine led to its capture and subsequent defeat over Israel. First Samuel four, verses three through eleven. This event served as a lesson that God's present cannot be manipulated for human purposes. That was back when Saul was like, we need to get the Ark of the Covenant so that it can help us, and they were basically thinking that the Ark of the Covenant was like a rabbit's foot or like a good luckture, and not what it's actually appropriately supposed to be used for. The and the Temple. King Solomon placed the Arc in the newly built temple in Jerusalem, signifying the establishment of a permanent dwelling place for God's presence among his people. First Kings eight, verses six to eleven. During the dedication of the temple, the glory of the Lord filled the house, further affirming the Ark's role and the set as the center of worship and divine presence.
Speaker 2: The ARC's disappearance.
Speaker 1: And legacy, the fate of the Ark after the Babylonian conquests of Jerusalem remains as a mystery. As mentioned in mentioned among the items is taken in Babylon in Second King twenty five thirty five are thirteen through seventeen. In the New Testament, the arc is alluded to in the Book of Hebrews, where it is described as part of the earthly sanctuary that foreshadows the greater reality of Christ atoning work Hebrews nine, verses three through five. The Ark's legacy continues to inspire reverence for God's holiness and the importance of his covenant, and the assurements of his people, and the assurance of His presence with his people. Okay, So I just wanted to go over that, so you know what's going on with the Ark of the Covenant, just in case you guys don't remember what I said before about it, or for people that are new to the study, Let's go out and continue tewod Samuel six, verse three. Now, so they set the Ark of God on a new cart and brought it out to the house of Abinadab and which was on the hill, and Isael and a heel.
Speaker 2: The sons of Abinadab drove the new cart.
Speaker 1: And they brought it out of the house of Abinadab, which was on the hill. Accompanying the Ark of God, and Ohio went before the ark. Then David and all the House of Israel played music before the Lord on all kinds of instruments of fir wood, on harps, string instruments and tambourines and systems, and on symbols. And that's very interesting because some people would would say not to play music, you know, some some churches say not to play music, you know, with instruments. So that's very interesting that David did that. And let me go back here, and now we're going to talk about the reverence for God's holiness, which is Second Samuel two versus six, six through seven.
Speaker 2: We're going to read that here.
Speaker 1: And when they came to Nikkan's threshing floor, Uzah put his hand on the Ark of God and it took hold of it, for the oxen stumbled. Then the anger that then the anger of the Lord was aroused against Uzab, and God struck him there for his heir, and he died by the ark of God. And David became angry because the Lord's outbreak against Uzah. And he called the name of the place perez Uzaal to day wow. So David became angry because the Lord's outbreak against Uzzah. So wow, okay, so we have a reverence for God's holiness.
Speaker 2: So it says.
Speaker 1: Za's death for touching the arc serves as a sobering reminder of God's holiness and the need for reverence in our approach to him. So reverence for God's holiness. Reverence for God's holiness is a central theme throughout the Bible. I need to read this to you, guys, because this needs to kind of be explained a little bit, because if not, we're going to take that as dang, God just straight kill them.
Speaker 2: Man. The ark was about the fall, So let me just read some of this.
Speaker 1: So, reverence for God's holiness is a central theme throughout the Bible, emphasizing the profound respect, awe, and veneration due to God because of his perfect and transcending nature. God's holiness is an intrinsic is intrinsic to his character, setting him apart from all creation and underscoring his purity and righteousness and majesty.
Speaker 2: All right, So.
Speaker 1: Reverence for God's holiness was profound. As profound implications for a believer's life, it calls for a posture of humility, recognizing the vast golf between God's holiness and human sinfulness. Now there is a giant golf between us and God. But guess who fulfills that golf and causes a bridge between us and God. Well, Jesus Christ, right, So that's really awesome. So Jesus is actually our bridge between us and God. He covers that giant golf between us, and then, in summary, reverence for God's holiness is a foundational aspect of biblical faith, shaping the believer's understanding of God's worship and daily conduct conduct. It's a response to the divine majesty and purity of God, calling for a life of holiness, worship, and obedience. So there's a little there that kind of explains about what we'll go ahead and continue.
Speaker 2: Second Samuel six, verse nine.
Speaker 1: David was afraid of the Lord that day, and he said, how can the ark of the Lord come to me? So David would not move the ark of the Lord with him into the city of David. But David took it aside into the house of obed Edium that the get tight. The ark of the Lord remained in the house of obed Edium. The get tight three months, and the Lord blessed odem oh dead Edium and his household. So David started getting nervous, like, how are we gonna move the Ark of the Covenant because with these oxens walk in, Like, what if the arc of the Covenent's gonna fall and someone else grabs it, You're gonna end up killing them too.
Speaker 2: So David got a little afraid.
Speaker 1: There it looks like, and he just left the Ark of the Covenant at the closest house, you know.
Speaker 2: And let's see what. Let's see what. Yeah, this goes to fourteen. Okay, we'll go and continue reading.
Speaker 1: So we have Second Samuel six, verse twelve. Now it was told King David saying, the Lord has blessed the house of obed Edom and all that belongs to him because of the Ark of God. So David went and brought up the Ark of God from the house of oh dead Edom to the city of David with gladness.
Speaker 2: And it was.
Speaker 1: When those bearing the Ark of the Lord had gone six paces, then he sacrificed oxen and fat and sheep. Then David danced before the Lord with all his might, and David was wearing a linen ephod. So David and all the house of Israel brought up the ark of the Lord with shouting and with the sound of trumpet. So all right, so we have joyful worship going on here. So David's exuberant worship as he danced before the Lord exemplifies the joy and freedom found in God's presence.
Speaker 2: So wow. Now it was told that David saying, the Lord has blessed the house of.
Speaker 1: Edom, So I guess, and all that belongs to him because the Ark of God. So David went and brought out up the Ark of God from the house. So I guess God blessed the house. David found out about that, so he goes and then he gets the arc, so I guess God.
Speaker 2: David was waiting for that, for him to go in and get it.
Speaker 1: So David went, brought up the Ark of the God out of the house and meet him to the city of David with gladness. So it was when those bearing the Ark of God had gone six paces, he sacrificed oxen and fat and sheep. So David kind of wasn't afraid of the Lord anymore at that point, obviously, because he was waiting for them, I guess, for them for the house to be blessed. Once he heard that, he went and he took the ark of the covenant. Very interesting portion there looks like obedience in worship. I don't know why my notes went all the way back to Second Samuel sixty three, but before we continue.
Speaker 2: I'll read it real quick.
Speaker 1: The initial failure to transport the arc correctly contrasts with the later successful attempt with God's instruction were followed. Oh okay, I see. So obedience in worship says here. Obedience and worship refers to the act of adhering to God's commands and instructions as an integral part of worship. It is a demonstratent of reverence, love, and submission to God, acknowledging his sovereignty and holiness. Obedience is not merely about external rituals, but involves a heartfelt commitment to align one's life with God's will.
Speaker 2: Amen to that.
Speaker 1: Okay, So now we're gonna go ahead and read Second Samuel six verse sixteen. Now, as the ark of the Lord came into the city of David, McCall, saw's daughter looked through a window and saw King David leaping and ruling before the Lord, and she despised him in her heart.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, Now, remember.
Speaker 1: Real quick before we continue to seventeen that McCall had idols like an idol at her house above her bed back when David left. Okay, she had an idol that she put into the bed to act like it was David.
Speaker 2: Right, So she was idle worshiper Okay, I don't believe that she worshiped. Yeahweh.
Speaker 1: So it looks like she was looking out the window, saw David leaping and joyfully worshiping the Lord, and it says that she despised him in her heart. That's really interesting. So right here we have the cost of worship. Before we continue, I'll read what's in my notes about this situation. McCall's disdain for David's worship. Two Samuel six sixteen warns against pride and the danger of valuing human opinion over God's approval. The cost of worship in the Bible encompasses the sacrifices, offerings, and personal commitments required of believers as they approach God in reverence and devotion. Worship, as depicted and the Scripture, is not merely a ritualistic act, but a profound expression of faith and obedience, often demanding significant personal and communal investment.
Speaker 2: That's what that means, the cost of worship. Just so you guys know, King David.
Speaker 1: Exemplifies the principal costly worship in Second Samuel twenty four. That's in the future. I don't want to go over that because I don't want to give you guys any spoiler alerts. Okay, the cost of worship has illustrated throughout the Bible, calls believers to a life of sacrifice, obedience, and wholehearted devotion. It challenges individuals to evaluate their priorities, resources, and commitments in light of their relationship with God. Worship, therefore, is not merely an act performed in a specific place or time, but a continuous, costly offering to one's life in response to God's grace and love. We should all listen to that. That's definitely an important wisdom right there. All right, So let's go ahead and continue and see what happens. Tewod Samuel six, verse seventeen. So they brought the ark of the Lord, and it said it in its place in the midst of the tabernacle, and that David had erected for it. Then David offered burnt offerings and peace offerings before the Lord. And when David had finished offering burnt offerings and peace offerings, he blessed the people in the name of the Lord of Hosts. Then he distributed among all the people, among the whole multitude of Israel, both the women and the men, to everyone a loaf of bread, a piece of meat, and cake of raisins. So then the people departed everyone to his house. So we offered offerings food. It looks like a bread, piece of meat, cake as raisins, and all the people departed everyone to his house. Very very very very interesting here that McCall did that. So we're going to see what happens when he returns to his house. This is going to be twod Samuel six, verse twenty. Then David returned to bless his household, and McCall that Daro Saul came out to meet David and said, how glorious was the King of Israel today uncovering himself today in the eyes of the maids and of his servants, as one of the base fellows shamelessly uncovers her himself. So David said to McCall, it was before the Lord who chose me instead of your father, and all his house to appoint me ruler over the people of the Lord over Israel. Therefore, I will play music before the Lord, and I will even be more undignified than this. And I will be even more undignified than this, and will be humble in my own sight.
Speaker 2: But as for the.
Speaker 1: Maid servants of whom you had spoken them by them, I will be held in honor. Therefore, McCall, the daughter of Saul, had no children to the day of her death. So looks like McCall. Looks like mccaull didn't have any children. It looks like McCall wasn't worshiping yahweh. It looks like, man, I just to me, that's what it looks like. She had idols and she I don't believe she was a believer. Might have been a mistake for David to go back and get his Saul's daughter. Sounds like, so okay, yeah, because you're unequally yoked and you're worshiping the Lord with joy and she's out the window looking in jealousy like, oh look what he's doing, despising it. So yeah, you're not equally yoked. So I don't believe that that was a good decision. For him to go back and get my call. But hey, you know, David was David, So all right, so let's go ahead and check out some practical applications for Second Samuel six. Approach God with reverence. Reflect on how you approach God and worship and prayer. Are you mindful of his holiness?
Speaker 2: Yeah? We have to be mindful of his holiness.
Speaker 1: And appreciate the fact that we're able to pray to God because we have Jesus as our bridge, and we can't always just be like, probly God in the name of Jesus, you know, I need I need this, I need that, and please give me money and whatever some people pray about. You know, we need to appreciate the fact that we need to be mindful of his holiness. And when we're praying to God, we don't pray to him like we're speaking to someone on the block, right.
Speaker 2: We're speaking to God.
Speaker 1: As we want to talk to him and be mindful of his holiness.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: And I even need to understand that too, because sometimes when I'm praying to God, I pray as like God is just my friend. I need to be mindful of his holiness too, you know. So I got to take that too, so we all need to understand that. Reflect on how you approach God and worship and prayer. Are you mindful of His holiness? That's a question that you should think about and maybe study on and find out how you are about it. Embrace joy and worship. Allow yourself to express genuine joy and gratitude and worship, recognizing the freedom found in God's presence.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Another one would be prioritize obedience. Ensure that your worship aligns with God's word, prioritizing obedience over personal preference.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Obedience is vastly important, and sometimes we forget that, but that is so important. Value God approval. Seek God's approval above all else, even when it means facing criticism or misunderstanding from others. Even if you get criticized from your wife, even if you get criticized from your mom, your dad, whatever.
Speaker 2: Place God first, no matter what.
Speaker 1: You need to love God with all your heart, your mind, your soul. You need to love God more than your wife. You need to love God more than your children. You need to love God more than your mom, more than your dad, more than everybody on earth.
Speaker 2: Okay, we don't.
Speaker 1: Need That's why I said, we seek first the Kingdom of Heaven. No matter what, it only matters if you go to heaven when you die. It doesn't matter what you do on this earth. If you don't go to heaven when you die, you could do all the things, be spectacular, philanthropist, this, that rich businessman you know, gave all your wealth to the homeless, whatever, But if you don't go to heaven when you die, that's all that matters.
Speaker 2: You need to be with God in heaven when you die. We need to focus on that. That's why we seek first the kingdom of heaven.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's what it's saying here. Seek God's approval above all else, even when it means facing criticism or misunderstanding from others. Sometimes things happen where people might be in a lesser position than we are, and someone asks for money or you try to help them, and sometimes the wife might disagree, and sometimes the wife might say.
Speaker 2: No, we don't need to do that right now.
Speaker 1: Nah, man, you got to make sure that you don't want to fight with your wife over that, but you want to make sure that you do help the needy, right Jesus talks about that.
Speaker 2: So just gotta.
Speaker 1: Place God first, right, Seek God first and everything else will follow. That's the end of one of my verses on my song. And I believe that that is definitely what makes sense on that what I was just talking about. Seek God first, or seek the Kingdom Heaven first, and everything else will follow. All right, we have a connection connect Connecting additional scriptures would be Leviticus ten, verses one through three, the story of Nadab and Abihu, who were consumed by fire for offering unauthorized fire before the Lord. This is Aaron's two sons. They got consumed by fire for offering unauthorized fire before the Lord. Underscores the importance of reverence, excuse me, and obedience. That's a good verse, definitely to connect. We also have Psalms sixteen, verse eleven. You make known to me the path of life in your presence, and fullness of joy at your right hand, your pleasures forever more. This verse highlights the joy found in God's presence. Another one we have is John four, verses twenty three through twenty four.
Speaker 2: Let's go ahead and check.
Speaker 1: That one out.
Speaker 2: John four, verse twenty three through twenty four. Okay, twenty three through twenty four says.
Speaker 1: But the hour is coming, and now is when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth. But the Father is seeking such to worship him. God is spirit, and those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth. Jesus speaks of worshiping in spirit and truth, emphasizes his.
Speaker 2: Heart and authentically in worship. HM. So we'll go a little further back. So, like we Steve, you are a prophet. Our Father is.
Speaker 1: Worshiped on this mountain, and you Jews say that in Jerusalem is the place that you ought to worship.
Speaker 2: What is this? This is a.
Speaker 1: The Samaritan woman who meets her Messiah. Okay, that's what that's about. So that's John four twenty through twenty four. We just read where it says, woman, believe me, the hour is coming when you will neither that, when you will neither on this mountain nor in Jerusalem worship the Father.
Speaker 2: You worship what you do not know? You know what we.
Speaker 1: Worship for salvation is of the Jews. But the hour is coming, and now is when the true worshipers will worship the Father and spirit and truth. For the Father is seeking such to worship him. God is Spirit and those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth. The woman said to him, I know the Messiah is coming, who is called Christ. When he comes, he will tell us all things. Jesus said to her, I who speak to you, am he.
Speaker 2: Wow. How powerful is that? Can you imagine being that woman? You'd be like, oh, I just met the Messiah right now? Wow? Awesome?
Speaker 1: So anyways, all right, so now we're gonna go ahead and go over tewod Samuel seven introduction. Second Samuel seven provides a profound message about God's grace, promises, and sovereignty. David's humility and receiving God's promise is an example for all believers. Instead of insisting on his initial plan, David humbly accepts God's plan, showing true obedience. This narrative also emphasizes the enduring love of God, who establishes a covenant with David that leads to the salvation of mankind through Jesus Christ. All right, so let's go ahead and Second Samuel seven eight. That's twelve to thirteen, so my notes won't start till then. Okay, we'll go ahead and read this, says God's covenant with David. Now it came to pass when the king this is second Samuel seven, verse one. To see you, guys, if you're following along. Now it came to pass when the king was dwelling in his house, and the Lord had given him for all his enemies all around that the king said to Nathan the prophet, see now I dwell in a house of cedar, but the ark of David, but the Ark of God dwells inside tent curtains. Then Nathan said to the King, go and so I know what part this is. Go do all that is in your heart, for the Lord is with you. But it happened that night that the word of the Lord came to Nathan's saying, go and tell my servant David.
Speaker 2: Thus says the Lord, would you build a house for me to dwell in?
Speaker 1: For I have not dwelt in a house since the time that I brought the children of Israel up up from Egypt, even to this day, but not but have moved about in a tent, in a tabernacle.
Speaker 2: Wherever I have moved about with all the children of Israel.
Speaker 1: Here I have ever spoken a word to anyone from the tribes of Israel whom I command to shepherd my people Israel, saying, why have you built me a house of cedar? For thus shall you say to my servant David, Thus says the Lord of Hosts, I took you from the sheepfold, from the following, from following the sheep, to be the ruler of my people over Israel. And I have been with you wherever you have gone, and have cut off all your enemies before you, and have made you a great name, like the name of the great men who are on the earth.
Speaker 2: Moreover, I will.
Speaker 1: Appoint a place for my people Israel, and will plant them that they may dwell in a place of their own and move no more, nor shall the sons of wickedness oppress them anymore as previously. Since that time I commanded judges to be over my people Israel, and have caused you to wrest from all your enemies. Also, the Lord tells you he will make you a house. All right, So let's go ahead and stop there. God's sovereignty and initiative, so God reminds David in two Samuel seven, verse eight, I took you from the pastor from following the flock.
Speaker 2: To be a ruler of my people.
Speaker 1: This highlights God's sovereign choice and initiative and established and establishing David's kingship. And then we're going to talk about the Dividic Covenant right here. In UH two Samuel seven, verse twelve, it says, when your days are fulfilled and you rest with your fathers, I will set up a seed after you, who will come from your body and will establish his kingdom. He shall build a house for my name, and I will establish the throne of his kingdom forever. I will be okay, So that there it is right there, So it says I will be his father, and he shall be my son. If he commits iniquity, I will chasten him with the rod of men, and the and the blows of sons of men. But my mercy shall not depart from him, as I took it from Saul, whom I removed from before you, and your house and your kingdom shall be established forever before you. Your throne shall be established forever. Wow. Okay, according to all these words and according to to to this vision. So Nathan spoke to David all right. The Davidic Covenant and verses twelve and thirteen state, when your days are fulfilled and you rest with your fathers, I will raise up an offspring after you, who will come from your body, and I will establish his kingdom. He will build a house from my name, and I will establish the throne of his kingdom forever. The covenant promises to the eternal dynasty through David's lineage. All right, So, the Davidic Covenant signifies a biblical promise found in the Old Testament, establishing God's enduring commitment to King David.
Speaker 2: And his descendants.
Speaker 1: This covenant is a foundational to understanding the Messianic expectations and the unfolding of God's redemptive plan through the lineage of David. The Davidic Covenant is primarily articulated in Second Samuel seven verses twelve through sixteen, and also First Chronicles seventeen eleven to fourteen and Second Samuel seven verses twelve through thirteen. God promises David, when your days are fulfilled and you rested your fathers, I will raise up your offspring after you, and you will come upon your own body, and I will establish his kingdom. He will be the house and for my name. Now I will establish the throne of his kingdom forever. This covenant assures David that his lineage will continue and his throne will be established eternally perpetual dynasty. The covenant guarantees that David's descendants will have a long lasting dynasty. This promise is not merely temporal, but extends into eternity, suggesting a future fulfillment beyond the immediate successor of David divine sonship and tewod Samuel seven, verse fourteen. God declares, I will be his father, and he will be my son. This establishes a unique relationship between God and the Davidic king, foreshadowing the ultimate fulfillment in Jesus Christ, who is both the son of David and the son of God. This is a great prophecy for people to understand, okay, unconditional promise. Unlike the other covenant that may have conditional elements, the Dividic Covenant is presented as an unconditional promise from God. Despite the failures and sins of David's descendants, God's commitment to his covenant remains steadfast Messianic expectation. The promise of an eternal kingdom through David's line sets the state for the Messianic hope that pre eminates.
Speaker 2: The Old Testament.
Speaker 1: Prophets like Isaiah and Jeremiah echo this expectation for shouting a future king who will reign with justice and righteousness. Isaiah nine verses six through seven, Jeremiah twenty three, verses five through six.
Speaker 2: Okay fulfillment in Christ.
Speaker 1: The New Testament writers identify Jesus Christ as the ultimate fulfillment of the Dividic Covenant, and Luke won Verses thirty two through thirty three, the angel Gabriel announces to marry. He will be great, and he will be called the Son of the Most High. The Lord God will give him the throne of his father David, and he will reign over the House of Jacob forever. His kingdom will never end. Jesus as the descendant of David, who fills this promise in an eternal kingdom, establishing his reign through his death, resurrection, and ascension. Theological significance the Dividic Covenant underscores God's sovereignty and faithfulness, and as a redemptive plan, it highlights the continually continuity of God's promise from the Old Testament to the New Testament, culmiating culminating into the person and the work of Jesus Christ. This covenant assures believers of the certainty of God's promise and the ultimate victory of his kingdom. Okay, very very important that we understand that, and then let's go ahead and continue. Or actually, in verse sixteen, God assures David, your house and your kingdom will reign forever before me, and your throwne will be established forever. This understores God's unwavering faithfulness to his promises. And let's go out and see what David's response is to God for saying this. We're going to read eighteen through twenty four here. Then King David went in and sat before the Lord, and he said, who am i, o Lord God? And what is my house that you have brought me this far? And yet this is a small thing in your sight, O Lord God. And you have also spoken of your servant's house for a while to come. Is this the manner of man, o Lord God? Now what more can David say to you? For you, Lord God, know your servant for your words sake, and according to your own heart, you have done all these great things to make your servant known them. Your servant know them. Therefore, you are great, o Lord God. For there is none like you, nor is there any god besides you, according to all you have heard with your ears, and who is like your peace, people like Israel, the one nation on the earth whom God went to redeem for himself as a people, to make for himself a name. To do for yourself great and awesome deeds for your land before your people, whom you redeem for yourself from Egypt, the nations and their gods. For you have made your people, Israel, your very own people forever, You Lord.
Speaker 2: Have become their God. Very interesting.
Speaker 1: David's response is going to be talked as Helmer. Response actually continues from twenty five to twenty nine. Let's continue two Samuel seven, verse twenty five. Now, oh Lord God, the word which you have spoken concerning your servant and concerning his house, establish it forever, and do as you have said. So let your name be magnified forever, saying, the Lord of Hosts is the God over Israel. And let the house of your servant David be established before you. For you, o, Lord of Hosts, God of Israel, have revealed this to your servant, saying, I will I will build a I will build you a house before your servant has fought found in his heart to pray this prayer to you. And now, O Lord God, you are God, and your words are true, and you have promised this goodness to your servant. Now, therefore, let it please you. Let it please you to bless the house of your servant, that it may continue before you forever. For you, O Lord God, have spoken it with your blessing. Let the house of your servant be blessed forever. So great responses there that David had, And let's go ahead and check out my notes and see what it says.
Speaker 2: David, the second.
Speaker 1: King of Israel, is renowned not only for his military proudness and leadership, but also has profound humility before God. This humility is most vividly illustrated in several key events throughout his life. As recorded in the Old Testament. Is anointed anointed by Samuel. David's journey to kingship began with a humble beginning, when the prophet Samuel was sent by God to anoint a new king from the sons of Jesse. David was initially overlooked. He was the youngest tending sheep in the fields, while his older brothers were presented to Samuel. However, God instructed Samuel, do not consider his appearance for his height, for I have rejected him.
Speaker 2: The Lord.
Speaker 1: Does not see a man as man does, for man sees the outward appearance, but the Lord sees the heart. David's anoying was a testament to his heart's humility and God's favor upon him. And then even when David went against Goliath, David's humility is further exemplified to his encounter with Golias. Despite being a young shepherd, David volunteered to fight the Philistine giant not out of arrogance, but with faith in God's deliverance. He declared to Goliath, you come against me with the sword and spear and javelin, But I come against you in the name of the Lord of Hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied on Samuel seventeen, verse forty five. David's alliance on God, rather than his strength, underscords his humble spirit, sparing Saul's life. We talked about that before the Ark of the Covenant. When David brought the Ark of the Covenant Jerusalem, he did so with great humility and joy, he danced before the Lord with all his might, wearing a linen epot, a simple garment. His wife, Pucalled criticized him for this, but David responded, it was before the Lord who chose me, rather than your father, to anyone or anyone from his house, when he appointed me ruler over the Lord of Israel, or over the Lord the Lord's people Israel. I will celebrate before the Lord Tewod Samuel six, verse twenty one. David's willingness to humble, to humble himself and worship regardless of other's opinions, demonstrates his devotion and humility before the Lord.
Speaker 3: And then.
Speaker 1: David's humility is perhaps most poignantly displayed in his response to his own sin, which we're going to read later. But after his adultery with Bathsheba and the arranged death of her husband or Uriah, the prophet Nathan confronted David. Unlike many kings who might react with denial or anger, David immediately confess, I have sinned against the Lord Tewod Samuel twelve, verse thirteen. His heart felt repentance is further captured in Psalms fifty one, where he pleads for mercy and cleansing, acknowledging his transgression and seeking the pure heart, and then census and plague. In another instance, David decisioned to conduct a census of Israel brought God's displeasure, resulting in a plague recognizing his error. I don't really want to talk about that because that's going to kind of ruin it. It's going to be in Second Samuel twenty four, verse ten. So David's life, marked by moments of profound humility, serves as a powerful example of a heart aligned with God's will. His responses to both triumph and failure really deep seated reverence for God and a commitment to righteousness, making him a man after God's own heart. Okay, So just want to go over that for.
Speaker 2: You guys, about David.
Speaker 1: So when we read further, you're going to see that. So that's going to be the end of chapter seven, and this will be the end of tonight's for you guys, maybe day or night tonight's study. But I will go over a few things before we end. I'm going to go over some teaching points, and then I'll go over some additional scriptures. That connect, and then I will go over some prayer to end the show. So God's sovereignty and initiative. So and second Samuel seven, verse eight, God reminds David, I took you from the pastor from following the flock to be a ruler over my people Israel. This highlights, Oh, you know what, I'm so sorry. I'm doing teaching points instead of practical applications. There all right, We're gonna do practical applications trusting God's promises. Just as God was faithful to the David, we can trust in his promises for our lives, knowing that He is sovereign and his plans are perfect.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Another practical application would be embraced humility. Like David, we should approach God with humility, recognizing that we all have and are, recognizing that all we have and are is because of His grace. Next is legacy of faith. Consider the legacy you are building. Are you investing in things that have eternal significance like faith and obedience to God? Like I said, we need to invest in eternal significance, meaning we need to invest in our time, our efforts, everything in the Kingdom of God, not in the Kingdom of Josh, which is my name, right, not the Kingdom of Josh, or not the Kingdom of Mary, or not the Kingdom of Bill wherever's out there.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 1: You want to build, we want to make sure we're doing it in God's kingdom. So we seek God first. Everything else will follow. Like I talked about earlier, a legacy of faith. Consider the legacy you are building. Oh, I already talked about that God's eternal kingdom. Reflect on the eternal nature of God's kingdom and how our lives can contribute to His purposes on earth. Okay, reflect on God's eternal kingdom. Amen to that.
Speaker 2: And then I'm gonna see if we have any additional scriptures to connect.
Speaker 1: Yes, we have. Psalms eighty nine, verses three through four. I have made a covenant with my chosen one. I have sworn to David, my servant, I will establish your offspring forever and build up your throne for all generations. That Psalms eighty nine, verses three through four. Let's make sure that's it, because I don't know if that's the full verse or explaining the verse.
Speaker 2: Alright, let's look it up. Psalms eighty nine three through four Psalms eighty nine.
Speaker 1: Yes, that is, I have made a covenant with my chosen borned to my servant, David, your seed, I will establish forever and build up your throne to all generations. Okay, Isaiah nine, verses six through seven, let's go there real quick. It's another additional scripture to connect, which we talked a little bit about earlier, but we didn't actually read the verse. So we have Isaiah nine, verses six through seven. It says, for unto us a child is born, unto us, a son is given, and the government will be upon his shoulders, and his name will be called wonderful counselor Mighty God, everlasting Father and Prince of peace. Of the increase of his government and peace, there will be no end upon the throne of David and over his kingdom to order it and establish it with judgment and justice from the time that time.
Speaker 2: Forward even forever.
Speaker 1: The zeal of the Lord of Hosts will perform this very very interesting versus there, speaking of Jesus.
Speaker 2: Right, that's the son that's born. Okay. And then Luke one twenty.
Speaker 1: Thirty two through thirty thirty two through thirty three, the Angel's announcement to Mary about Jesus' birth directly ties to the Dividic Covenant affirming Jesus as the fulfillment of God's promise to David. We already read that verse, so I don't need to go over it again.
Speaker 2: But yeah, so the.
Speaker 1: Angels announced it to Mary. Very very interesting stuff and I think it a.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So really appreciate you guys listening. Let me go ahead and stop the screen show real quick, so I appreciate you guys. I had a very very long day. I woke up this morning at six thirty. I drove all the way out to LA to do this show. It took me about two hours to get there. So I went there from I left at seven in the morning. I got there about nine fifteen. I recorded a show from about nine thirty all the way to twelve o'clock, so it was a long show. And then I drove from LA from twelve thirty all the way to three o'clock. Took me like two and a half three hours to get home, like three ten. I go home, and then when I got home, I had to make sure I fed my kids, take care of my kids because my wife was like, you be gone. All day, so I have to handle business. So it's been a very long day. Praise the Lord that God allows me to be on these other shows and to have the.
Speaker 2: To have the energy.
Speaker 1: Right now, I'm at the very last of my energy and you guys got the very last of it.
Speaker 2: But hey, you know what, at least I got to read the Bible to you guys, and we had what a great study.
Speaker 1: And then I also have a podcast tomorrow at six in the morning, and then I have a podcast tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Night at nine.
Speaker 1: So this is a very busy weekend, you know, very busy weekend. So anyways, I really appreciate you tuning in, and like I always do, let's go ahead and pray, Father God in the name of Jesus, thank you so much for blessing me with a glorious day. Thank you for keeping me safe while I was driving on the freeway. The LA traffic can be horrendous and people drive crazy, so thank you for that.
Speaker 2: Lord.
Speaker 1: We also want to give you thanksgiving. Thank you so much for allowing us to speak to you.
Speaker 2: Lord.
Speaker 1: Sometimes we take your holiness for granted, and we take the fact that we could pray to you for granted. And please assist us to pray to you, and also assist us into being humble and appreciate the fact that we could pray to you, Lord, because it's such a blessing for us to do so, and for you to give your only begotten son to die on the cross for us to be our high priest is just amazing.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: To have that gap between us, the holiness of You and us is so large gap. And to have Jesus kind of be the mediator between us and you, Lord is just amazing. We appreciate that, and there was a need for it, and we appreciate living in these times where we're able to speak to you, Lord. And I just want to ask anybody that's going through any issues with their wife or with their husband, Lord, be there for them. Lord, please, because supernaturally, because right now the times are very tough for a lot of people.
Speaker 2: I get a lot of.
Speaker 1: Messages here and there about issues, and I just want to ask you right now, Lord to please take care of them. And also anybody that's going through radiation, like Jay his dad, I just want to pray for his dad and Lord, puts your healing hand over him and keep him safe and keep him comforted during these times, and everybody else out there that's listening if they have any issues with sin. Lord, please help us to be obedient to you, Lord, and help us to have the right scriptures to say when we're being tempted by the devil. Help us, Lord, please, we need you. We appreciate everything you do, and we love you in Jesus name.
Speaker 2: Amen.
Speaker 1: Thank you guys so much for tuning in. Really appreciate you guys, and God bless you have a wonderful day and a wonderful night.