Speaker 1: You're listening to an air Wave media podcast.
Speaker 2: This is side two of our look at the Kentucky Goblins of nineteen fifty five. If you have not listened to side one, please fast forward this tape to the end and flip it over to start with side one.
Speaker 1: It's actually quite unlike anything we've ever seen before.
Speaker 3: A giant, hairy creature. Part eighte part masts in Luckness, a twenty four mile long bottomless lake in the Highlands of Scotland, in the creature known as the Luckness Monster.
Speaker 4: Monstertal.
Speaker 1: Welcome to Monster Talk, this science show about monsters. I'm Blake Smith my co host doctor Karen Stoleno. We'll be back soon. Last week we introduced the story of the Kentucky Goblin Attack of nineteen fifty five. In that introduction, I told you the story of how the Sutton family of Kelly, Kentucky claimed that one hot August night, their tiny farm had been attacked by mysterious beings. In the aftermath of that event, the story went out on newswires and radio broadcasts, and soon their little farm was overrun with the curious. But after days would know further signs of the invaders. The community seemed to turn on these poor farmers, and soon they were reticent to repeat their story. Since those original events, there have been many theories on what happened that night. Some believe aliens attacked the farm, some believe the whole thing was a hoax. If you look at the case on Wikipedia, you may find an entry that suggests that owls and alcohol are at the root of the story. We'll be taking up that version in more depth than Part three of our coverage, but for now, let's look at the research beneath that version of events, and to do that we need to talk with the researcher behind it, the Committee for Skeptical Inquiries lead investigator Joe Nickel. Joe Nichol is one of the world's most famous skeptics and is a paranormal investigator who's always tried to use the scientific method as the basis for his research. We've had Joe one Monster Talk several times and once again we've linked to as many books in our show notes at MonsterTalk dot org. Lately, Joe's been calling himself a para natural naturalist. He explores the paranormal, but tries to find natural explanations in two thousand and five, some fifty years after the events at Kelly, Kentucky, Joe was invited to investigate the case, and we'll talk about his findings in this in depth interview. Monstertle, Welcome back. It's great to have you here. You've been someone whose career I followed for a long time and who I try to emulate whenever I can, when it's appropriate.
Speaker 3: Well, I think there are three or four of you in the world. Yeah, it's a rare it's a rare group.
Speaker 1: It is a tiny group.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just form a fan club, it would you know, it would please me greatly. But no, Seriously, I have had a long career. I'm approaching I guess by twenty nineteen will be my fiftieth year doing what I do. And uh, let's hope I make it beyond absolutely.
Speaker 1: And you may be the only professional monster hunter in the world who operates using scientific skepticism as your primary mode of conduct.
Speaker 3: Well, I think I think I may be. I'm also maybe the only miracle detective, the only real ghost hunters. It's a motley motley bunch of personas. But I sort of invented what I do, kind of like Sherlock Holmes, who told Watson, you know that he took stock of his you know, his pluses and minuses, and his work was a good fit for him and he was the only one in the world. And Watson said, kind of incredulously, you know what, the world's only detective. And Sherlock said, well, the world's only private consulting detective. You know, you need a few adjectives, as do I. But I've I've tried to put together an approach and let's see how well it works.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's check it out with one of the more intriguing monster stories out there. I just got through reading a big stack of paperwork about this case. And so it's called a lot of different things. I'm calling it the Kentucky Goblin case, but the Kelly Hopkinsville case. He's probably got a lot of different h.
Speaker 3: And there's lots of lots of names. I think the Goblin is a little bit you know, there's there's too much emphasis us on the drawings. The drawings are, in my opinion, not accurate, but we'll get to that. It's certainly a case that maybe let me say what I what I do with a case like that, because I've I've done, you know, lots and lots and lots of cases, and I have some ideas about what should come first and what should come much later. I try to suspend notions of belief or disbelief early on. I think it's a mistake to get to too quick to decide where something's going, because then you're into confirmation bias and you're you can you know, you could take this case in any of several directions and make a convincing case for it. Picking and choosing, I try to first look at first things first. So with with Kelly, the first thing we have is we have a part of a flying saucer, and the description of it is that it was a big, big fiery something or a big fireball, words to that effect. And when we consider that that occurred during the Percied meteor shower, and that other people were seeing meteors, I think we can be pretty sure that what was seen was a meteor. And we don't you know right away. I'm thinking there's an actual nucleus for the story. In other words, a made up story might not have a real meteor at the onset, but a real story might. So I'm just just looking at things, and I'm thinking, Okay, we've got to what appears to be a meteor. And then further confirmation from that would be that it was said to have sort of go over into that there gully. And that's very much like what happened at flat Woods, West Virginia a few years before, where some boys on a playground saw a fiery UFO apparently land on a hill and they rushed up and they saw and you know the story. They eventually got dark and they they encountered a being that I have identified as a barn owl because it is very very specific to scriptors, and of all the creatures on this planet, I believe it fits the barn al best of anything. So that's I'm looking at this idea of this this UFO sort of landing over in the gully, and that's recognizable as a very familiar illusion people see meteor and it always, I mean, there were just many of these instances where it landed just over there, usually just out of sight behind a tree line or a hill or something, and it looks because it's large and sort of awesome, it just looks really close and it looks like it landed just over there. And that's what happened. I feel quite sure at Kelly that that was that familiar meteor illusion that we're so familiar with, and so there was no spaceship. So when I soon find critters, I don't think they're extraterrestrial. That's not my first thought, although that was certainly the thought of the Langford's and tailors and Suttons and all those eight adults and three children who lived in that house or who were there for a time. And then at some point we get to starting to look at at the fanciful part of the monsters plural. It was thought that's something some kind of humanoid or anthropomorphic, like slightly anthropomorphic figure had come from the flying saucer. And I know that a lot of skeptics are very quick too, because they don't understand what's actually happening. It seems to me they're very quick to say, well, that was a hoax. And I saw that with flat woods just as a quick side trip, because it's it's I think it's very relevant. I was to write some articles for a UFO encyclopedia some years ago, and we re read on things like crop circles and so forth, and at the end of which I said, well, are you doing anything with flat woods, because I thought of that as sort of my area. And I said, oh, I've got someone who's written a piece on that. He says it was a hoax. And I said, you listen to me if you believe anything I ever tell you, you believe that was positively not a hoax. And there was sort of silence, and I said, I tell you what, how about I write a piece and then you can just decide which piece you find most convincing, and that's up to you, you're the editor. And my piece appeared, and I never heard any more about this hoax hypothesis. But I think the person said, oh, there couldn't be any kind of creature like this. Look at listen to this, and there's no such things. So these people made it up. And I had had the benefit of actually going there, and among many other things, the fact that they had actually seen a flying saucer meteor which had been seen over three states. I knew they didn't make that up, so I was already willing to at least listen to, you know, and think, so I think we have to be careful. One of the pieces of evidence I had was one of the guys who was there that night with the sheriff and others. It's a little, very little community, and he told me, he said, those people were absolutely frightened. He said, the Lemon boy, Jean Lemon, he said he was throwing up. And I recognized that as a sure sign of hysteria. So I believed that they in fact had an encounter. And then, as I say, I've explained it as that scary nocturnal treator known as the Varnell came right at them with those terrible claws and a high pitched hissing sound and just scared them to death. So if I look at the Kelly case, I'm looking at okay, I think we're good. With the flying saucer and the sheriff and some of the others thought these witnesses were telling the truth. There was certainly a bunch of them, you know, there were a couple of characters in there, and they were doing a lot of shooting. But I'm persuaded, to make a long story short, that several things are going on in that story that don't sound like a hoax to me. It's got too many moving parts, it's got a lot of contradictions from one person to another, but just the kind that you get when people have actually seen something. There's some independent corroboration of some of the details. There's physical corroboration. I mean, they absolutely did shoot shoot off guns, because there are shotgun pellets in the door, in the frame of the window. There were holes in the screen, and I know people want to argue over some of those urge caution upon them. Shotgun shells were picked up here and there, and so there was shooting. And the skeptics at the time is that, oh, they just poked holes in the screen with a tobacco stick. Are probably pretty pretty far off. If they had to fake the gun, the bullet holes, if they had to fake that, why were there actual shells around? I mean, imagine a scenario where you and I are out there going to make up a story and we say, hey, wait a minute, let's shoot off our uns. But then let's go in and poke holes in the screen. Yeah, let's just the fake holes in the screen. I mean, it just doesn't make any sense. Besides, ultimately, we don't know every detail about the shootings. There were probably if you count them up from Isabelle Davis's book. They're certainly a number of shots, maybe eleven or more inside and out, probably much more. Some neighbors heard nothing, others heard what sounded like a small war. So we can't be very definite about all of this. But shots were fired, because I know that shells were picked up inside and outside the house. I've looked closely at that, and so what really interests me about the case is to look at the creek what impresses me. And I was pleased to find that my friend Brian Dunning had been impressed with that. He got it from me, but I sold him on it. How many similarities there are to this case, to this creature, to the great horned owl, And there are more than people suppose, I think, And the pictures don't. I know. If you put a picture of the Goblin beside the Horndell, who may think it's not very similar. But in fact I've listed here, I can go over the list a little bit quickly, at least twenty five points of similarity that I have, many of which I find quite quite distinctive, and that persuades me that they were seeing a real creature and that it's quite terrestrial. For example, the Great Horndell would have been in that place in time without any problem. That would have been its habitat. There were never more than two creatures seen it at any time. So the fact that a couple of the good old boys who were prone to exaggeration and being embroidering stories or being excitable, however you want to put it, there probably were a pair of creatures, and that would be Horndell's who are monogamous in mate. It was at night, which is these are nocturnal creatures. And to even say specifically, and let me compliment Isabelle Davis for what I think was a very good job from her perspective, trying to do very you know, very difficult work under very difficult circumss is. But I find her her book very helpful. I I'm sure she's not a skeptic like me, and she's not going to buy maybe my Great Horned l but I'll do my best. But she certainly put a lot of effort into putting in detail. And so she takes the time to tell us that them, that Billy Ray and Uh and Lucky were the two the two main guys who were shooting him up, that that they had noticed and and uh, Glenny Langford, who was maybe the most sensible person there, a matriarch, family matriarch, and and not given to much exaggeration. Uh, she's very clear about what she saw on things. So we know from these people that when they turned on the lights, these creatures seemed to favor the dark and always were coming to the house from a dark area, seeming to want darkness, and this would be consistent with a nocturnal creature that has very excellent night vision. Her account was that the figure was about two and a half feet tall. Now there are other estimates of three feet or four feet. I'm going to prefer Glenny Langford because at two and a half feet that's not much of an exaggeration. The great Hornedelle could be twenty five inches over just over two.
Speaker 1: Feet, and she seemed to be a very serious, sober.
Speaker 3: Relis right, deeply religious and not sophisticated. None of the people were, you know, urban sophisticates perhaps, But I don't say that disparagingly because that's the kind of country I come from.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I'm a.
Speaker 3: Kentuckian and they're just unsophisticated rural people. But anyway, she comes up with a figure of two and a half feet tall. Let's take that for the moment. And it had it had a large round head, and repeatedly it was said, there was no neck. This is we're talking an owl here. It had large ears, So we can eliminate barn owls and bar owls because they don't have they're not true ears, of course, they're what are called ear tufts. But let's just call them ears because they looked like ears sticking up, and they were triangular and pointed at the top, just like the great horned owls. Is it had this creach sure or creatures had big eyes. They were larger than the human's eyes. They were looked like they were around almost on the side of the head. That's a little bit of an exaggeration unless you look at the great horned owl from the side and you'll see how that effect would look like that from the front. Even they have wide spaced eyes, and they have the facial discs extend over on the left and right of the eyes, so that they do if you were not seeing things really clearly, might very well look like the eyes were way over almost to the side of the head. The eyes are they said we're shining or glowing, but of course we know whenever people say they're glowing in our world they're talking about eye shine was yellow eye shine, and again that's the eye shine of the great horned owl. This is not, for example, not mothmen, not the bardelll I've identified as mothman, which has this bright red shining eyes like bicycle reflectors. They said the eyes never moved, and that would be true for the great horned owl. It does not move its eyes. They did say that it never moved its head either, and I think there might be a little mistake in there, because they tended to think it moved its whole body, but it didn't move its eyes. The horned owl can move just its head remarkably well. But I always expect a few little discrepancies in these misidentifications, because if they were exactly accurate, they probably would have said, oh, it's just an owl. That they didn't They were misled by the idea of a flying saucer and an extraterrestrial figure, and it looked most people have not seen an owl at night with a little bit of hyper terrestrialism in the presentation, right, So if we just to go on through the list quickly, long arms twice as long as the legs. Well, of course the great hornedel doesn't have arms, but look at it from the front, and they said it raised its hands nearly every time it got ready to afloat, it would raise its hands up over its head. I found various references to that, and have the page numbers. And of course if you look at the great hornedel from the front, it's wings you're seeing. It's sort of on edge. And let me invite people to look at pictures of that and to look at because they said at the ends of the arms were big hands. The great horned owl has what looks for all the world like five fingers on the end of each wing. It's really rather striking if you've not seen that. And so it also has the claws that were mentioned. Of course, the claws aren't the hands. And there's always some little shift of that because sometimes they're describing the ends of the wings and sometimes they're describing the feet when it's on the window. But in any case, it definitely mentioned claws that got in Billary Taylor's in his hair right. He went out and it was on the roof and it must have touched him or something. The word talon's was used a few times without being very specific, but again I'm happy to just put that language into the discussion. They said the creature walked awkwardly, as if on stilts, and an awkward gait is of course characteristic to an owl. They said the legs were spinlely, as spinley as broom handles, or it was stick like, and that's of course exactly what we're expecting here with the owl. That's a perfect description of an owl's legs. They said it floated, but of course it put its arms up. In other words, it would have floated at one point forty feet from a roof to the fence. And this absolute silent movement is characteristic of an owl because their wings are so soft, the flight as noiseless.
Speaker 1: They can just glide, which is really bad if you're a little rodent.
Speaker 3: That's right, that's right. And in fact, they were walking around in the yard, probably partly looking in the dark areas away from lights, looking for field mice. That's what that's why they're walking on the ground. And so the floating ability referred to a few times is significant. It's people talk about owls having just that ability. It's remarkable. The creatures, the extraterrestrial creatures had a tendency to perch. They're described on the roof, They're described on the limb of a maple tree. They're described on a fence, so they're given to perch. And that's again, this behavior is just so perfect for the great hornedel. They said it was glowing or shining, but I think they're just referring to the light under parts of it, maybe being having a sheen or being caught in light. I can't do much with that, you know. Actually, a pair of preachers.
Speaker 1: Right going to say I did find an article where at least one birder claims that there's some evidence he found that owl's glow. I thought that was really interesting. I didn't see.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's usually there's a whole there's a whole lot of information about that. I've run across that all my life. Pretty much, barn owls and others are said, and there's even in this case, since you're insisting on bringing this up, that one place where the creature landed, the police, the sheriff and others found a sort of a luminous spot there on the ground, which might indicate that when the animal was knocked off a fence or something, that that had in fact left some of this glowing material. People have talked about a fungus, but it's it's pretty scientifically doubtful. It's never really been absolutely verified. It's it's it's somewhere along the sort of like Bigfoot. It's people report it, but it's it's not been absolutely certified yet, right.
Speaker 1: I'm skeptical of that as well. But I thought it was an interesting article. I'm gonna put a link to it.
Speaker 3: It is interesting, and I was particularly taken by the luminous spot on the ground. I thought that was really striking. But I don't make anything of it from my point. It could be any of a number of other things. Something something rubbed off the animal, maybe some of the feathers or something, and maybe there was just a sheen from the light or something, a trick of light. That there was a pair of creatures. I mentioned and if you read the accounts carefully, and I believe it was Glennie and maybe one other person who said, yeah, they talk about there being all these those boys do, but really, at any one time we never saw more than two, really right, maybe three? And my count is two, and I believe there were two owls. Owls are territorial, and they're fearless, and they're persistent, And that's exactly the behavior that we had there. No one noticed a mouth that's as would be expected. Perhaps it had sloping shoulders. It's the if it's the owl, if you if you look at a great horned owl, realize that people are kind of misperceiving what it is. But but like I've had with people doing the Flatwood's monster and mothman and other creatures of various kinds, if you look and make a little allowance for error, when people don't recognize what they're actually seeing, the bits and pieces of it are often quite quite strikingly correct. And we have multiple witnesses. Hard to pull off a hoax with this many people that would have played out this way. And again the sheriff had uh and his deputies had had thought that they seemed genuinely excited. And believe it was Billy Ray that his his pulse rate was extremely hot. Thought he was pardon it.
Speaker 1: Was one hundred and forty beats per minute. Yeah, quite double.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if that's correct, then again you can tell I could make a good case that it was a hoax if I were inclined to do that, But I unfortunately know too much about great horned owl to find that. It just would be an astonishing number of coincidences. If you and I were making up a hoax about a monster because we wanted some attention or wanted to make money or do something, wouldn't we make it scary? Then he kept saying, you know, it wasn't hurting nobody. Yeah, in the house, she thought when it raised its quote unquote arms, it was sort of trying to peaceful and look, I come bearing though you know, I'm raising my hands. She's putting a very old fashioned human interpretation of that. It was simply raising its wings, I think. But I think we would want a more awesome creature, maybe glowing red eyes and a fierce look, and it would be doing terrible things and attacking. And if we were making up a story, this story has got again too many moving parts. It kind of happens back and forth and round and round, and it's kind of a comedy of errors and so forth, just like it would be if a pair of territorial owls was there and the good old boys, drinking or not. I talked on my visit to the area, albeit you know, half a century later, but I talked to Trooper Ferguson, who had you been there? And he thought that they had been drinking, and that the whole story came out of out of a container, as he put it. I don't think so, but I give him his, you know, his due that he had a sense of things. A lot of controversy over whether they had been drinking. Glenny wouldn't have allowed it. I don't think it could have snuck outside, and I'm drunk, may well have been. But but you know, so for.
Speaker 1: Me, I was gonna say, even if they were drinking, I can't imagine that that would lead to a group delusion. You know, that seems like a stretch, you know.
Speaker 3: I think that's I think that's exactly right. And and I'm going to go out on a limb here, so to speak, and suggest that probably you and I both have been rip roar and drunk, and we didn't see flying saucers and extraterrestrials, not so far.
Speaker 1: But I'm willing to continue experimenting.
Speaker 3: Not so far or anything else much from mere alcohol right. So you know, and I say that is that you know a young person from the sixties who doesn't remember all of the sixties. And we were experimenting with various things. And I use the word experiment advisably. But in other words, if we look at everything in some detail, the best explanation I can come up with is that these hapless people ran a fowl of a couple of owls, and the owls ran a fowl of some people, and nobody knew what the hell was going on, and owls behaved like owls, and people behaved like people, and they never never can kind of came to one accord. I think again the story, you know, when the after the police come and there are all the lights and everything. Of course, the owls retreated after it got dark again and everybody was gone, they came back. They're very persistent creatures, and they were not not afraid of anything and came back as is their wont And that part of the story rings true to me. It's an awfully extra repeat of things for a good hoax.
Speaker 2: It just.
Speaker 3: There are a lot of mundane qualities to the story, including the appearance of the critter that persuades me that if we postulate a meteor shower and at the time we're talking about and the illusion of a meteor scene as just landing over there, and we see some people caught off guard by some owls who have fooled people as ghosts and hands and devils and so forth far back in time, and in this case we're associated with something extraterrestrial. And while the people didn't recognize parts of it very well, you could see how if you read a little bit between the lines. My hypothesis is that it's a great horned owl a pair. Yeah, And that's my solution to the case. And I don't know if Isabelle Davis would agree with me, but I've tried my best.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, I don't think any solution satisfies everything that was cited that night, including I mean, well anything, but I think that comes very close and is completely plausible. I would suspect that people who who disagree with your findings would probably point to things in the story, like it's described as looking like a washtub, but the pictures that were drawn don't look like washtubs either. They don't look like no.
Speaker 3: And and we have to be really careful there because they seem to have talked about the washtub is the description of the flying saucer, but I know it was, or to say it was about the size of a of a big bucket or something. But yeah, yes, one can, one can go through. But there are a lot of conflicting statements, a lot of things that argue one way. But then you can say, well that only takes you part way, and then you lose ground, but point out the rest of that. But it's very difficult to imagine that so many elements fit so well with with a great horned owl. It is really, i would argue, impressive, very unlikely, just the odds that if somebody made up something, we could find something that worked so well and had so many corroborative details. The yellow eyeshine, for example, the awkward walk on stick like legs, and so on and on that it floated and it seemed to perch and so forth. It's just really, and that's that's the nature of what I do, is to I've learned. I learned to my lesson long ago not to be too quick to make a superficial comparisons and slap it onto something, but to take plenty of time in a given case. Of course, I'm accused of applying owls to many cases, and bears to many bigfoot and otters to many lake monsters. But if people read my work carefully, when I'm talking about very specific cases, I usually have quite a number of corroborative details in a particular case. And what I'm trying to do is to come up with what I call the preferred hypothesis. And this is a term I've kind of coined or not. I may have stolen it somewhere in graduate school, but I think I made it up. It's not much of.
Speaker 1: A but at least nickeled it.
Speaker 3: I nickeled it, that's right, and maybe nickel and dimed it even But it's the preferred hypothesis. I did this in some of my doctoral work, and I needed to have sort of a how do we know when we've solved a literary mystery? I said, how do we know that? Sometimes? Of course we just have something iron plaid and that's that, and but but quite often we have competing notions, and we certainly do it Kelly. And what I try to do is is using Okham's razor to say that the hypothesis with the fewest assumptions. In other words, before we get to extraterrestrials, we should see what what terrestrial creatures we have? Well, we have we can have a pair of great hornedel's at our disposal. There. Well, let's just see. You know how well that works out. I think it works out just damned well. And so I would I would argue that you would not be able to come up with another hypothesis for the creature. I doubt that you could even come up with a different variety of owl. That I mean, for example, I can eliminate several based on the eye shine and and and the ear tufts and so forth. They're just we can be pretty specific. So we come down to is it is it a hoax? Or is it a great horned al? And my money is on the great horned l It is the preferred hypothesis I maintain. And so if someone wants to depose that, they have to not. They can't just not like my hypothesis. What they have to do is find an absolutely fatal flaw in it, and I don't think there is one, or they have to have a better hypothesis with more corroborative details, not several different hypotheses or pieces of them, like different three or four different creatures working working at the same the same farm at different different times. You can't play around like that or pick and choose. You have to have the simplest one with the most explanatory details. And I gave it a lot of thought, and I don't think that it's very threatened that hypothesis.
Speaker 1: I am a bit biased in favor of a naturalistic explanation, and this does seem to fit. I'll tell you one other thing. I think it's interesting. I'm a hunter, not an active hunter, but I used to be, uh and I did a lot of bird hunting. And one of the things that's interesting in this story is the creatures floating in the air, gets shot, flips and then continues going right. I have seen that happen when you use a small shot on a large bird. Like my grandfather's farm has a lot of crows, and you know, rather than poison them or other stuff, sometimes when I was out there, I would occasionally shoot at them with insufficiently large shot. So if I had like a small bird load and I shooted a crow that's a little bit high, I would hit the bird would just flip in the air, recover, and keep on going. And as far as I could tell, it never killed them. It just they just got scared, right, And.
Speaker 3: I think those owls might have been shot up a little bit. But my pellet. Lots of hypotheses that are favored are not perfect. But to replace them as the if with favored status, they can't be just you hrump about them. You need to have a you need to have a better one, right, And if you're if your hypothesis is that, well, it's it's some other natural creature, then I dare you to name it and work it through. If it's that it's some extraterrestrial creature, then you're gonna lose. Just on the basis of Oakham's razor, the person who tries that will just lose because he's having to make humongous assumptions that are not necessary. Which is more likely that there's a whole other realm of creatures that look remarkably like owls that are coming to the planet Earth and flying saucers when there wasn't a flying saucer apparently, and behaving in certain ways that are quite owl like, and yet they're they're extraterrestrial that's that's not gonna fly really very well. So I think there there There are, though, about three categories of hypotheses here. One is the extraterrestral one, and Isabelle Davis and others are going to probably you know, go down clinging to that. The other is that it could be a hoax. And the third is that it's a naturalistic explanation, specifically again using the Great horned owl. It's just you're just not going to be able to pull in any old kind of owl. There are problems that you need to have an owl that's common to that area, and it has to look and act like this owl. And the Great hornedell is very very much in play. So much true.
Speaker 1: And I was gonna say, there's also the psychology of fear. There is visual limitations. We don't know what kind of vision this family had. I know that they were not wealthy by any stretch of the imagination. I don't know if they needed glasses. I don't know how accurate they were as shots. I suspect that when the place, I don't think.
Speaker 3: They were very good shots. I'm a little disappointed with although I'd be rooting for the owls. Well, yeah, behind the fence. But I I I'm not sure. I think they were excited. I think they're the creatures were a movement. I think the shot into the window casing is probably reveals what happens. The creature was moving, they tried to shoot through the window but hit the the window casing. All rings true enough to me.
Speaker 1: And it happened overmuch time too. I mean, there was a lot going on. The story is compressed, but the time lapse there. You know, there's people going in and out of the house. At one point, the kids are going in out of the house, even though the people out there shooting. There's a lot going on before they get so uptight up, so scared that they jump in the car. It was you know, yes, so it's.
Speaker 3: But yeah, you're doing a good job with the dynamic there. And I think your argument about the flipping of the animals is a contribution to the argument that you could work out uh in writing somewhere. I think that's a that's a good point. I was intuiting that, but I hadn't actually maybe seen that phenomenon like you have. I think that's worth a little time to zero in on it. Maybe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've seen it on dove fields many times, you know, and those are little bitty birds. So I'm just suspecting that Al could probably pull the same trick. That's just that's my gas based on other birds i've seen do it. But but yeah, but.
Speaker 3: I so we're looking, we're looking at a bird, because we've got to have something that's floating forty feet from the naturalist hypothesis, right, you know, we're not seeing we're not seeing a raccoon, we're not seeing whatever. And and so we're seeing we're seeing a bird the spindley legs. And it's almost charming that they think it's got really long arms and there they're so earnestly describing some of these features and fairly accurately describing their misperception that it's really kind of I found it kind of endearing because once you see a picture of a great horned owl with its wings held up over its head, it looks just about like they're saying. And and there are the hands, these these fingerlike five of them, one short, but I think I think there I counted five on each wing in a picture that I that I had looking you see exactly, Oh, I see what you're I see what you're saying, and several things that they mentioned, and you think, well, why did they think that? That's not quite And then you look at the particular features of the great horned al and you see, oh right, they're seeing it in bits and pieces. It's dark. They're excited, but cumulatively they're sort of putting together some elements that theme I think have evidential value, just like with flat woods. You know, missus May saw those terrible claws. They described the shape of the face as like ace of spades, and that heart shaped face is very distinctive. It made a high pitched hissing sound. That's the barn now, and so on.
Speaker 1: I want to say something else about this, and that's I think you've mentioned the sincerity of the witnesses. And I think there's a perception from some people who aren't sort of steeped in scientific skepticism that when you come up with explanations like this, you're you're somehow detegrating the people who are making these claims. And I don't think that's the case, and I'm sure you would.
Speaker 3: I don't either. I think there are people who do detegrate them, and those are the debunkers. And the dismissers who oftentimes will suggest, oh, they were probably drunk, and you know me, I resent and resist that approach. I'm usually quite respectful to people. I listen to them, and I yes, at some point I may occasionally kind of caricature of finding or something a little bit, but by and large, I listen to people when I can, I give them the benefit of the doubt. I'm not quick to suggest that something is a hoax just because I can't explain it. I try to, you know, not be in a hurry and to say, well, let's think a little bit more. What are we Basically what's this creature? Basically like what are they? What category would it be in? And so I mean, and if you do that bit by bit, you you come up with a pretty clear picture of the great hornedell. And I prefer to to that approach, realizing, of course, someone could could come up with a fanciful animal and be a hoax. But in my experience, when you put all the elements together and do a sort of holistic study of everything, trying to get some idea of how did it start in this case with an actual meteor, I think very credible. During the Persian shower, and there were other people who saw meteors very credible and describing that illusion. And I think that's a good starting point to say, well, let's just let's just build on that. And then they saw a creature and they were predisposed to think and they were caught off guard by it. And most people again have not seen an owl of any kind at night under sudden, surprising.
Speaker 1: Circumstanines right exactly.
Speaker 3: People think they all, I know what an owl looks like. Yeah, you do, because you see them in children's picture books and stuff. But in the nineteen fifties, yes, you knew what an owl was, but you probably hadn't seen one, and you probably didn't have much of an idea of what they might look like under some odd circumstances and surprised suddenly surprising and frightening you and scaring you. And so I think all those things taken together, we make a judgment about a case, and there's no absolute DNA certainty in such a case. There's a preponderance of the evidence and multiple bits of corroborative evidence that persuade me.
Speaker 1: I agree, Joe, and I really think you did a good job on this. I want to say that I think one other thing on throughout is I probably make some comments when I close out the episode. But when the authorities came to investigate, even if they had hit these owls in left bird feathers everywhere, nobody was looking for that. Because everybody was describing metallic, silvery looking you know, creature.
Speaker 3: Oh exactly exactly, there would be nothing really to have found on the roof or the ground that we wouldn't just a casual look, what are you looking for? Bigfoot tracks? And in fact, if I think if you and I had been called to that the next day and it really had a little time to you know, speculate as we have, we would have gone and looked for things like owl pellets in areas of out on the fringes to see if maybe we could find and we would look for feathers, We would look for some things to see whether there might have been population of owls in the area. But they don't leave obvious traces. An owl walking in your yard is not leaving any kind of obvious traces, and so people weren't looking for feathers and owl pellets and the like, and the bird footprints mashing the grass and so they didn't see anything. But I don't that doesn't there was no flying saucer because that was an illusion and the other critters had fled.
Speaker 1: I think that is a very plausible explanation, and I hate to say it. As much as I'd like it to be monsters. I think it's more plausible than monsters.
Speaker 3: Joe. Well, you know I often say this in a particular matter. I say that I have some good news and some bad news. The bad news is it wasn't really monsters. The good news is nobody listens to me.
Speaker 1: I don't think I've heard you say that before. That's great story of my life.
Speaker 3: Well, and you know, I do like to again, I try to be respectful of people on the other side, and uh, sometimes it pays off. My wife and I were down in Pennsylvania a couple of years ago and we went to see a Frank Lloyd write masterpiece Falling Water, and I said, let's stay in a cabin and let's do a little big footing and there's some stories in the area and stuff. So she was, you know, she's always ready to do anything like that. So we did that, and we were went into the campground's office and there were some people there finishing up, and we waited. They left and we did our business, got our keys and everything. Walked outside. Well, the first group was waiting for us. There are four people, two couples waiting for us. And the guy came up and he said, excuse me, are you Joe Nichol? And I said, I am, and I can prove it, and I handed him handed out wood in the and they said, well, you know, we we know what you do, and we we like the way you approach things. You're on the other side, but we don't think of you as an enemy, and you know, and I joined right into the spirit of that, and I said, you know, I often feel more akin to you guys than I do fellow skeptics who are of the debunker stripe, because they wouldn't be out here. And they said, we give you that you go into haunted houses and you're out. We can witness that you're out here, and so on. And we had a nice friendly talk and in fact, one of the guys even admitted I'm becoming more skeptical. I said, well, don't let me rush you take your time.
Speaker 1: And eat into it.
Speaker 3: But uh, I like the idea that that sincere people can look at things, those who call other people names and are nasty and on both sides, I've had people really nasty to me from you know, the UFO side or some of the other sides, but I've I've also had some very good responses in all areas, people friendly to me and you know, just say, okay, we disagree, but we we share some interests, and we both uh, you know, will admit if somebody's got a good point, and and so on. So I hope we continue to do that, and little by little maybe people change their minds a bit, and skeptics can do a better job by being a little more open minded and not being so quick to jump to conclusions, and believers can listen a little more to the hard facts or a ledge facts of the skeptics, and we'll all be better for.
Speaker 1: It, I believe.
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 1: I believe right now, in this day and age, having the critical thinking tools to filter out what's true and what's not true, or what's real and what's implausible is really undervalued and way more important than it ever has been.
Speaker 3: So yeah, absolutely, exactly, exactly, And there's so much fun in doing the work if you really are interested in trying to solve a mystery. I don't find it drudgery to spend hours looking at at owl traits or or reading over descriptions of shots fired and trying to sort them out or whatever. Rather than sort of a woe is me, and oh how boring this is and I'm sick and tired. No, I relish it. I find that this is this is the game, as a foot Sherlock said, and it's it's worth doing and we can actually much of the time enjoy doing it, enjoy the quest, and if we come up with something, we can be pleased with it.
Speaker 1: It is so much fun. That's why I enjoy this kind of work. And I know when we started this, or we plan this, I was going to try to get you in and out quickly. But I feel like I could still keep talking to you for another hour, and I know you don't have time for it.
Speaker 3: Well, I better go and let you go. So it's been good talking with you monster.
Speaker 1: You've been listening to Monster Talk, the science show about monsters. I'm Blake Smith, and you just heard an interview with CSI investigator Joe Nickel on his research into the Kentucky Goblins of nineteen fifty five. I think in these first two parts of our research into this case, we've talked about the environment in which the sighting's emerged. This was not the first story of little space people to hit the news during this time. In fact, the story seemed to be in the air, sometimes literally. Prior to the sightings of these creatures, something had been seen in the sky. There's good reason to believe it was a meteor that had primed the witnesses to at least be thinking about visitors from another planet. Two of the witnesses were outside and came back inside talking about having seen these creatures, again priming everyone for something unusual, and then they saw the creatures themselves. In this interview, Joe outlined many parallels between the descriptions made by the witnesses to great horned owls. He admits that the owls don't look much like the drawings made by the sketch artist, but the individual details mentioned in the accounts matched up quite nicely with a pair of great horned owls. We'll talk more about how one might reconcile the differences in the American Goblins Part three, which I hope to bring you quite soon Monster Talks and official podcasts of Skeptic Magazine. The opinions expressed in the show are those of myself and my guests and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Skeptic Magazine or the Skeptic society.
Speaker 6: We hope you've enjoyed this episode of Monster Talk. Each episode we strived to you the best in monster related content with a focus on bringing scientific skepticism into the conversation. If you enjoy Monster Talk, we now have a variety of ways to support the show, all with convenient links at monster talk dot org forge slash Support. That's monster talk dot org forge slash Support. There, we have links to our Patreon pages, as well as a donation button. A great way to support the show is to buy us books from our Amazon Monster Talk wish list, which directly helps us with our research. We love usbooks very much, so don't feel compelled to buy new ones, and we love Kindle and we can share our digital library with each other. Finally, without spending any money at all, you can support us by leaving a positive review at iTunes or wherever you get your podcasts. Positive reviews help keep us visible in iTunes, which is a great way to help us find new listeners, and please share our show on your favorite social media platforms.
Speaker 5: Hi, my name is Barry Carr, and I'm here with Tom Flynn and Jim Underdown talking about the upcome Sicon conference this October in Las Vegas. So, Tom, Jim, what are you looking forward to coming out to Sikon.
Speaker 3: I cannot wait.
Speaker 5: I will be hosting the disco party on Saturday night and it's is it a zombie disco party? If you want to addressed as a zombie, that's fine, That's what we're building it as a costume party, so come as you like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we're actually going to have cash prizes and dancing and drinks.
Speaker 4: Is it true that the grand prize will be a big bowl of brains?
Speaker 5: Well, leaving the brains and the zombies aside. This is a conference with some heavyweights in the skeptical community. For instance, we have Richard Dawkins, Lawrence Kraus, James Randy, Eugenie Scott. The list actually goes on and on. We have almost forty speakers coming or more. We have workshops of course, entertainment as we mentioned anything you particularly want to see.
Speaker 4: My dear friend Richard Wiseman will be here also from the UK, author of Corcology.
Speaker 3: I can't wait to see him.
Speaker 4: And don't forget Richard Saunders from Australia. It's going to be Richard's busting out all over. It's a richness of Richards, it absolutely is.
Speaker 6: I'll be gambling too at some point.
Speaker 5: No, no, the skeptics do not gamble. Skeptics don't gamble. We know the odds, we don't do.
Speaker 4: If my experience last year is any indications, skeptics do not gamble, Skeptics win.
Speaker 5: I have a skeptics, Harry, I have a system that is guaranteed to win.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna grab a stack of chips and run.
Speaker 4: There you go. Okay. The New Yorker writer Maria Kannakova is going to be receiving the Ballast Award for Critical Thinking for her most recent book.
Speaker 5: Right, The Confidence Game. Yeah, Maria was a speaker last year. She spoke about The Confidence Game last year. This year she's talking about her new book, which is about luck. So what better talk about luck?
Speaker 6: Shel vindicate me.
Speaker 1: The Skeptical Toolbox people will be.
Speaker 6: There, Ray Hyman, Jim Elcock, Harriet Hall.
Speaker 5: And speaking of skeptics groups that are coming, we had the Skeptics Guide to the Universe, the Whole, the Whole Show with the Whole Cruz coming this year.
Speaker 3: It seems a little skeptic heavy, don't you think that's conference?
Speaker 5: This is the skeptic heavyweight event of the year. It does not get better, it doesn't make you better than so we hope to see you there. It's October twenty sixth to the twenty ninth at the ex Caliber Hotel. It's the one that looks like the Big Castle. You know you'll see it when you fly into the airport. You see the towers rapunzels there.
Speaker 4: It's the one that looks like the Walt Disney Opium Dream.
Speaker 5: So come check us out in Las Vegas.
Speaker 1: Monster Talk theme music's by Pete Steely Monkeys. Thanks again for listening.
Speaker 3: Did you know that you can now subscribe to Skeptic Magazine digitally.
Speaker 1: Just grab our free Skeptic Magazine app currently compatible with iOS, Android, PCMAC, Kindlefire, Kindlefire HD, and BlackBerry Playbook.
Speaker 3: Head over to skeptic dot com slash Magazine slash app to find out more and download more of your favorite skeptic content