Speaker 1: Mother, Is Maxwell House really the only coffee in the world.
Speaker 2: Well, your father says so, and your father knows best.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's father knows best.
Speaker 4: Transcribed in Hollywood starring Robert Young his father A half hour visit with your neighbors, the Andersons, brought to you by America's favorite coffee, Maxwell House, the coffee that's always good to the last drop. A decade or so before the turn of the twentieth century, the city editor of The New York Sun came up with a remarkably simple definition of news.
Speaker 3: When a door dog bites a man.
Speaker 4: He said, that is not news because it happened so often. But if a man bites a dog, that is news. Well, in Springfield, in the white frame house on Maple Street, news may very well be in the making. Nothing unusual has happened thus far. But it's quite possible that before the week is out, a man named Anderson will bite a dog like this.
Speaker 5: Holy cow, Dad, I couldn't help it.
Speaker 3: But when you signed the good driving place.
Speaker 5: But I wasn't even driving dead. The car was just sitting there.
Speaker 3: And the fender dropped off all by itself. Sure, but that's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.
Speaker 4: But it's true, Dad, I wouldn't be surprised that the whole car fell apart.
Speaker 3: Is that so there's nothing wrong with the car? And you know it? Daddy? What is it? Kathy?
Speaker 1: Did you know that in the Polar regions, dogs are the chief means of transportation.
Speaker 3: What's that got to do with Bud knocking a fender off the car?
Speaker 5: I didn't knock it off dead, it fell off.
Speaker 3: But unless you're willing to tell me the truth.
Speaker 2: Jim, but is not in the habit of telling lies. And if he says the fender fell off, then it.
Speaker 5: Fell off and we put it back on again with wire. Dad, you'd never even know the difference.
Speaker 3: Oh fine, But if I ever find out? Oh never mind? May I have my coffee? Margaret?
Speaker 2: Of course, dear here.
Speaker 3: You are, thank you?
Speaker 1: Nothing? What it doesn't have anything to do with Bud knocking a fender.
Speaker 3: Off the car? I did not wait a minute, But Kathy, what doesn't have anything to do with Bud knocking a fender off the car?
Speaker 1: Dogs are the chief means of transportation in the Colar regions.
Speaker 3: Fine, I'll order a dog sled in the morning. Is that what you want?
Speaker 1: Oh no, I just wanted to tell you, well, thank you very much. You're welcome.
Speaker 3: The silliest thing I've ever heard in my life. That car is practically as good as it was the day we bought it. Might need a little paint here and there, Daddy.
Speaker 2: What is it?
Speaker 3: Kathy?
Speaker 1: Did you know that the dog has been chosen as the companion of man because of his fidelity and intelligence?
Speaker 3: Well, i'd heard rumors, but it's nice to have it on such complete authority.
Speaker 2: You're welcome, Dan, Yes, Bud.
Speaker 5: Does that mean that I can't have the car on Thursday anymore?
Speaker 3: No? I suppose it'll be all right, But in the future I wish you'd be a little more careful, That's all.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't be surprised if the roofcave.
Speaker 3: Then, Betty, what's gotten into you until the night? The only complaint you ever had about the car was that you didn't get it often enough, Jim.
Speaker 2: Yes, Margaret, the Leggots have a new car, a convertible.
Speaker 3: Oh well, pardon me.
Speaker 1: Dogs are read for sports, as watchdogs, for guarding and driving sheep, and for plain ordinary dogs.
Speaker 3: Kathy, deep in your obscure little mind, how see you? It is you stay right where you are. I wanted to get to the bottom of this dissertation on dogs. But yes, Dan, see who's at the door?
Speaker 5: Holy cow, nobody else around here knew how.
Speaker 3: To open a door. All right, Kathy, will you explain something to me as simply as possible. Why this sudden interest in the history of our canine companions? Huh? Dogs?
Speaker 1: Oh well, dogs are pets, and everybody says the man's best friend, and they probably be girls' best friends too. And I don't see.
Speaker 3: Why, Kathy, are you going to start that dog business again?
Speaker 1: But everybody I know has a dog.
Speaker 3: I don't see what you know as well as I that Betty's allergic to dogs. They make her sneeze. Oh, come on in ed Hello Jim, Margaret. We're just finishing our dinner. And how about a cup of coffee? Oh no, thanks, Jim. I well, I just want.
Speaker 6: To talk to you about your dog or what bo I wouldn't mind if we were just an ordinary rose bush.
Speaker 3: Jim, But this was a bengal, a.
Speaker 6: Genuine hibiscus roses and ensus and I only had two.
Speaker 3: And you ought to see the one he dug up. It's a complete wreck ed Yes, Jim, what dog? Well, your dog? We don't have a dog, you know that, Daddy. Jim. I dislike this whole thing as much as you do.
Speaker 6: But that bush cost me thirteen dollars, and we don't have a dog, Daddy. And I wouldn't even know where to get another one. They only had two in town. I bought both of them.
Speaker 3: And yes, Jim, we don't have a dog, daddy. Kathy, I'm talking to mister Davis.
Speaker 1: I know, Daddy, but I want to tell you something.
Speaker 3: All right, what is it?
Speaker 1: We have a dog?
Speaker 3: That's fine, look, and I know how you must feel, but we what Kathy, your Joe? What do you mean we have a dog?
Speaker 7: Well?
Speaker 1: It was such a poor little dog, Daddy, and he kept following me and following me.
Speaker 3: Kathy, you mean we have a dog here?
Speaker 8: Uh?
Speaker 2: Huh, Aunt.
Speaker 3: Betty, stop that. I can't stop it. Father, You certainly can. Kathy. You've been told a thousand times not to bring a dog into the house.
Speaker 5: A chounce.
Speaker 1: She's just doing that to be me.
Speaker 9: I have dog.
Speaker 1: She wasn't sneezing before, and the dog was here all the time.
Speaker 3: Where what where is it? Where's what the dog?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 3: The dog? Unt Kathy, where did you put the dog in the playroom? Well, we'll just see about that.
Speaker 6: Of course, it isn't the most valuable rose bush in the world, Jim.
Speaker 3: But if you you the trouble i'd gone through. Jim, where are you going down to the playroom?
Speaker 1: Oh, daddy, Please don't be mean to the little dog. He wouldn't hurt a fly.
Speaker 3: Where do you think you're going, Bud?
Speaker 5: Can I come with you? Gosh, I just want to look at it.
Speaker 3: I didn't mean to start all this trouble, Jim, But after all, he did dig up the roads. I know ed. I'll be very glad to pay for it as soon as.
Speaker 10: We Oh my aching back, look at the size of that thing.
Speaker 3: I'll just wait for you upstairs, Jim. Kathy, that isn't a dog. It's a werewolf.
Speaker 1: No, it isn't, Daddy. It's a dog, and you're you're frightening him.
Speaker 3: I'm frightening him.
Speaker 1: Poor little fella. We're not going to hurt.
Speaker 3: You, Kathy. Get away from it. You heard me, Kathy, You don't get away from metal. Well, stay over there if that's what he wants, but don't get too close.
Speaker 2: David said there was a line in the basement to Joe.
Speaker 1: Kathy, you've met cute mommy.
Speaker 2: Kathy, come over here.
Speaker 3: You you better do as your mother says.
Speaker 5: Maybe she better do what the dog says.
Speaker 2: Oh, Jim, what are we going to do.
Speaker 3: We're going to find out where he belongs and get rid of him. That's what we're going to do.
Speaker 1: Oh, Daddy, you can't. He's your beautiful dog and he's so easy to see.
Speaker 3: This cookie, Bud. See what the tag says on his collar. On his collar.
Speaker 1: Oh, he won't hurt you, but will you?
Speaker 3: George? Well, go ahead, Bud. There's nothing to be afraid of.
Speaker 5: That's a nice fellow. Nice George.
Speaker 1: His name isn't exactly George, Budd. I just call him there.
Speaker 5: Oh, you're a great help nice boy.
Speaker 2: That's a nice boy boy.
Speaker 3: What does it say, Bud?
Speaker 5: Gargantua?
Speaker 3: The third.
Speaker 1: Oh, that's how you say?
Speaker 5: Is property of Michael Reid Orchard Avenue?
Speaker 3: Orchard Avenue when that's a mile away. How did he get clear over here?
Speaker 1: I think he walked.
Speaker 3: Well, he can walk right back. But call mister Reid and tell him we have his dog.
Speaker 2: Oh, yes, Kathy, it isn't our dog. And we've got to send him back home.
Speaker 8: But Mommy, I love him, so.
Speaker 5: Don't try, Kathy, Gosh, you still got us.
Speaker 8: Everybody's got somebody, and all I have is you.
Speaker 2: Do you want me to answer it?
Speaker 4: Never mind, I'm right here, mister Anderson. I'm mister Reid Chaffeur. Oh yes, come on right in.
Speaker 3: Thank you. Very nice of you to go to all this trouble. Oh, it's no trouble at all. Mister Reed was quite concerned about God, and you were quite concerned. Well, we weren't too happy about him ourselves. Kathy, do you want me?
Speaker 2: Daddy?
Speaker 3: The man is here for the dog. She'll have it up here in this minute. A peculiar looking animal, isn't it.
Speaker 4: Oh no, it's a very valuable dog by Marama, bybe. You don't say yes, it's a German hunting dog, very intelligent.
Speaker 3: Well that's a matter of opinion, Kathy. Will you please hurry yady?
Speaker 1: I can't find him. You what, oh, Daddy, the most terrible thing happened.
Speaker 3: He got away, Kathy.
Speaker 1: But he did, Daddy. I just opened the door and he was gone.
Speaker 3: You didn't happen to give him a push?
Speaker 1: Oh Daddy? How can you say?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 1: Maybe one little push.
Speaker 3: I'll see here, Kathleen.
Speaker 1: Oh, you don't have to worry, daddy. I think I can find him again later.
Speaker 4: I'm awfully sorry about this, I understand.
Speaker 3: Oh hello, ed Oh, Jim, I don't like it. Please. I told you i'd get you another rose bush and I will first thing in the morning. I know, Jim, but after all got away. Yes, I know he.
Speaker 6: Got away, only he didn't get far enough away.
Speaker 3: Have you seen him? Yes, I've seen him.
Speaker 6: He's in my backyard and he's having a wonderful time.
Speaker 3: All right, Kathy, go get him jemwhere and Jim?
Speaker 6: Yes, when you get that hibiscus sentenceus tomorrow make it too.
Speaker 11: Oh no.
Speaker 4: All across the country, there's good news about coffee.
Speaker 3: These days.
Speaker 4: Grocers everywhere are featuring Maxwell House at lower prices.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 4: These days, the coffee with that wonderful good to the last drop flavor comes to you at the lowest prices in months. A mighty welcome occasion for everybody you your grocer, yes, and for Maxwell House too. With Maxwell House Coffee, we've always aimed at one thing, to bring you the best in coffee at the lowest possible price, and that's meant a lot, meant you could always count on more flavor for your money, and every cup of Maxwell House more wonderfully good cups of coffee in every pound. It's the reason why year after year, folks everywhere have found Maxwell House is true economy, and nowadays Maxwell House is more than ever. Today's coffee by the world's most famous coffee flavor is yours to enjoy every cup you pour, and the price is the lowest in months. So tomorrow, get your money's worth and more. Bring home a familiar blue tint of Maxwell House, and start enjoying coffee that's always.
Speaker 3: Good to the last drop.
Speaker 4: The dog is a creature whose principal feature is love, and there's nothing can daunt him. He'll stay by your side as though he were tired, especially if.
Speaker 3: You don't want it.
Speaker 4: A few days have gone by, and in Springfield we find a most unhappy individual between roses which cannot be found and a dog which refuses to get lost.
Speaker 3: Jim Anderson's lot is a miserable one. Indeed, like this, God give him.
Speaker 1: Isn't he cute?
Speaker 7: Daddy?
Speaker 1: He wants to pray?
Speaker 3: Well, tell him to play with something else, Daddy, All right. I like him, but you don't see me fighting his shoes.
Speaker 1: Oh, he just wants to be friend.
Speaker 3: No good fenders. Why don't they make the bolts big enough? They don't want you to fix your car. That's what expect you to buy a new in every five minutes, Daddy, what is it, Kathy? George is hungry, George is hungry. George is sleepy? George, George, George, Kathy, Yes, Daddy, how many times have you found that dog?
Speaker 1: Six?
Speaker 3: And how many times have we sent him home?
Speaker 1: Six?
Speaker 3: Most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Any dog gets stupid enough to get trapped in back of a fence six times in a row. Oh yeah, come on over here, I've got good news for you. Okay, Hey see George is back again. Idiotic animal comes clear over here from Orchard Avenue and then gets stuck in back of the Willoughbys fence. Smart dog, he is.
Speaker 1: Smart, Daddy. He knows that's where I meet him.
Speaker 3: Well, why don't you leave him there? Let somebody else find him for a change.
Speaker 1: For Daddy's moved away. There wouldn't be anybody to feed him.
Speaker 3: He can always eat rose bushes. Oh that's what I wanted to tell you, Ed, there they are you mean those? Yeah, two Bengals, and I had to go clear to plain Field to get them.
Speaker 6: Jim, I don't like to be difficult, but those aren't benals.
Speaker 3: They most certainly are. Look at the tags, well mark bengals. All right?
Speaker 6: Oh well, you see, Jim, there are two kinds of bengals, Highbiscus rosa sentensus and rose of Japanicus. Now mine were Hibiscus senensus, and they're a much hardier variety.
Speaker 3: And a rose is a rose. And you said benals.
Speaker 6: I don't like, argued Jim, But I said Hibiscus senensus. You see, the Japanicus is very susceptible to mildew in thrips.
Speaker 3: That's bad.
Speaker 6: Huh oh, yes, especially around here. The Japanicus doesn't do well in Springfield at all. It needs a much milder climate.
Speaker 3: I see you. You wouldn't consider moving nothing. I'll keep looking at after all, once a few more days, I wouldn't be able to do anything but work anyway.
Speaker 4: Mister Anderson, Hello there, we're back here near the garage. Mister Anderson, I don't know what to say. Mister Reed is most apologetic.
Speaker 3: Yes, I'm sure he must be. Well, I'll be getting back to my gardening. I've got another bit of geraniums to set out. I'm sorry they weren't the right ones.
Speaker 5: Ed.
Speaker 3: Well, that's all right, Jim. It's no particular hurry, I guess, mister Anderson.
Speaker 4: I want to assure you that we've done everything in our power to keep Gargantua at home.
Speaker 3: I'm sure you have.
Speaker 4: I've gone over the fence with a fine tooth comb. We fix everything, and still he gets out.
Speaker 3: Maybe the fence isn't high enough.
Speaker 4: Well, it's quite high, but we're gonna make it higher. And now, if I may have the dog, yes, Kathy, one of the dickens that che go?
Speaker 3: Kathy? Where's George? George? We call him George, Kathy. Maybe if you call him George he'd stay home.
Speaker 4: Well, it might be a little confusing, but we'll try, Kathy.
Speaker 3: Why is it what happened to George?
Speaker 1: I don't know, Daddy. Isn't he with you?
Speaker 3: No, isn't with me? Where'd he go? I do know, Kathy? Why is it that every time mister Reid chauffeur George, thank you? Every time George shows up? George, George? Yes, sir George. Oh well, why why is it every time George shows up, the dog disappears?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: What do you know?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, George, but George arganshovok George? And is George over there?
Speaker 8: He certainly is.
Speaker 6: And I'm very slowly reaching a point where I don't think it's a.
Speaker 3: It's all funny. And he didn't tear up another rose boy? No, well, thank goodness, this time he got the geraniums.
Speaker 6: George dug out the geranium No, but I made a bed and he's lying in it.
Speaker 3: Thirty five dollars for two miserable little rose bushes. It's criminal, that's.
Speaker 2: What it is. Jim. Let's just be thankful that we were able to find them.
Speaker 3: Hibiscus senses, Margaret. If I ever see that dog against I help meet Jim. What's the matter he's back? Oh no, he.
Speaker 2: Can't be well, stop the car, Jim. We've got to get him.
Speaker 3: Why why can't we just pretend that we've never met George, We've never even heard of him.
Speaker 2: We owe it to mister Reed.
Speaker 3: Mister Reed, he's the one who walked to pay for the roses. George is his dog.
Speaker 2: Jim, that's not being there charitable.
Speaker 3: Well, I don't feel very charitable.
Speaker 2: Where is he back of the Willoughby's fence.
Speaker 3: Again, Margaret, that's the stupidest animal I've ever seen in my life. This is the eighth time he's been stuck in the Willoughby's yard. Any dog with half a brain nose, you can jump both ways over a fence. Come here, you're silly mongrel.
Speaker 2: Jim, isn't that sweet? He knows this.
Speaker 3: Well? Why shouldn't he know it for almost a week?
Speaker 2: Come on, George, that's a good boy.
Speaker 3: Take his collar, Jim, I like to ring his neck.
Speaker 2: Come on, George, Jim, I don't think you're being very nice to him.
Speaker 3: Well, I don't think he's being very nice to us. George. Will you please make up your mind you want to come home with us or you're going to stay here?
Speaker 1: Yea, George, I'm so happy see you. Oh my wonderful George.
Speaker 3: Kathy, drag that animal over to our house. Oh you don't have to drag him, Daddy, Well, get him over there, and this time hang on to him.
Speaker 1: Okay, Daddy, come on to ground.
Speaker 3: Man's best friend, intelligent and loyal, a half witted caterpillar is more intelligence than that, George.
Speaker 2: Jim, how about the car.
Speaker 3: I'll come back forward later. Right now, I'm going to call that Reid guy and give him a piece of my mind. That's what I'm going to do. If he can't learn to take better care of the dog, he doesn't have any business owning.
Speaker 2: One, Jim, I'm sure mister Reid is doing everything he can.
Speaker 3: Well, it isn't enough. Owning a dog is a responsibility for the dog and the neighborhood and everybody else. Let a dog run wild that way, first thing you know, you'll be hit by a car. He's liable to be killed.
Speaker 2: I thought you didn't like George.
Speaker 3: I don't. I mean, well, he's all right, I guess, but they have no business letting him run around the way they do.
Speaker 2: Jim, please don't be too abrupt. Mister Reid is just as concerned about George as we are.
Speaker 3: Well why shouldn't he be. It's his dog. Hello, this is Jim Anderson. Yes he's here again, and look George. I think it's high time. Well okay, he's coming right over, Jim when he gets here.
Speaker 2: Please remember that George isn't responsible for George. After all, he's merely the.
Speaker 3: Chauffeur which one George.
Speaker 2: He told me this morning that mister Reid was going to have the entire fence made higher. And if mister Reid thinks that much.
Speaker 3: Of George, but go outside and hang on to George. Okay, Betty, are you in your room, Well, look out the window and keep an eye on George. He won't get away this time if I can help it. Now. Uh, what were you saying? Well?
Speaker 2: I merely said that if mister Reid thought that much of.
Speaker 3: George, geek, God's now what. I'm awfully sorry, mister Anderson, Well you should be anybody who can't take better care of a nice dog like George.
Speaker 4: We do take care of a mister Anderson. We still can't understand how he gets away.
Speaker 3: That's a very poor excuse. How would you feel if I wait a minute, how did you get over here so fast? Well? I left the moment I hung up, I know, but from Claire over on Orchard Avenue.
Speaker 4: Oh, we haven't lived on Orchard Avenue for almost a week.
Speaker 3: We moved into the Willoughby house on the corner.
Speaker 5: Oh.
Speaker 4: No, when you go grocery shopping, this weekend, be sure to see the welcome news about coffee in your store. These days, grocers everywhere are featuring Maxwell House coffee at lower prices. Now all of you who know and love that wonderful good to the last drop flavor can enjoy it at the lowest price in months. And for you folks who haven't been getting that famous flavor, now's the time to bring home a familiar blue Maxwell House tin. Find out how much more satisfaction, more real pleasure it holds for you, cup after cup, day after day. You can always count on that Maxwell House flavor, for we'll never compromise on the quality of a single pound. Tomorrow, look for Maxwell House at the lowest prices in months. Now, more than ever today's coffee buy get your money's worth and more with coffee that's always good to the last drop good. Another day is come and gone, and so has the perennial George. There's peace once more in the Anderson household. But we wonder just how long it will last.
Speaker 3: It never does, doesn't like this most ridiculous thing that ever happened in my whole life, stealing a dog out of his own yard. They could have had us arrested. Father. Yes, Betty, have.
Speaker 1: You noticed how quiet it's gotten around here?
Speaker 3: I certainly have nice and quiet. How was I supposed to know anybody moved in? Why didn't they put up curtains or something?
Speaker 5: That George is a pretty smart dog, and what a character. You know what he did yesterday?
Speaker 3: Whatever he did, I'm not going to pay for it, or.
Speaker 5: It wasn't anything like that. Dad. Cathy taught him how to play a hide and seek and he was really hiding good.
Speaker 3: And I hope it's years before anybody finds him.
Speaker 2: Why, Jim, you know you missed George as much as any others I do. I miss George.
Speaker 3: H Margaret, this is the first peaceful moment I've had in almost a week.
Speaker 2: Yady, what's wrong?
Speaker 1: Oh, Daddy's the most beautiful thing happened. Mister gave me a reward?
Speaker 2: Why? How nice? Kathy?
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm so excited.
Speaker 3: Well, it was certainly the least he could do. What was the reward, Kathy?
Speaker 1: I can borrow George anytime I please. Isn't it wonderful?
Speaker 3: Gee?
Speaker 9: George, Oh, my beautiful George boy.
Speaker 7: Hello George, Oh.
Speaker 4: Yours to enjoy an instant coffee you'll love for breck fist every morning.
Speaker 3: An instant coffee you'll be proud to serve to your dinner guests.
Speaker 4: It's Instant Maxwell House, the instant coffee with a famous flavor. Here's the happiest combination in coffee. Wonderful, good to the last drop flavor combined with the convenience and thrift of coffee made instantly in the cup. Tomorrow, try Instant Maxwell House, the instant coffee with a famous flavor, instantly good to the last drop. In lands across the Seas, many people still lack the simplest necessities of life.
Speaker 3: Food is inadequate, clothing scarce. Help is needed from each of us who can send it. The time to send that help is now. The way to send it is through Care cre for. This is National Care Week, and Americans everywhere are joining in sending food and clothing abroad. To send a twenty four pound package. Mail ten dollars to Care New York. That's ten to Care New York. Enclose your name and address and the address of the recipient. Delivery is guaranteed. Join in National Care Week.
Speaker 4: Now join us again next week when we'll be back with Father Knows Best starring Robert Young, Is Jim Anderson with Roy Bargee and the Maxwell House Orchestra and Yours Truly Bill Forman.
Speaker 3: Don't forget.
Speaker 4: Membership cards for the Robert Young Good Driver's Club are waiting for you at your local NBC station. Get a man to man or Dad the Daughter Pledge and sign up today.
Speaker 3: Be a good driver.
Speaker 4: Get your membership card in the Robert Young Good Driver's Club today now until next Thursday. Good night and good luck from the makers of Maxwell House, America's favorite brand of.
Speaker 3: Coffee, Always Good.
Speaker 4: To the last drop, Father Knows Best, was transcribed in Hollywood and written by Ed James. Now stay tuned in for Screenille Theater, which follows immediately over most of these
Speaker 6: States, Stay tuned for Charles Boyer and Olivia de Haviland on NBC