Speaker 1: Welcome to episode five sixty two of five and Dive. It's Monday, July thirteenth. I'm your host, Karat Goldstein, joined as usual by Patrick Dubuk and Jeffrey Petter in ostro. This is where we do banter, and i'd ask how your weekends were. I'll note mine was terrible. Don't really want to talk about it. But Jeffrey, there's a fourth member of the pod.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I am currently doing this podcast with a four month old puppy in my lab because we have a puppy. Yeah, I got.
Speaker 1: Decisions were made.
Speaker 2: I finally got to the point where like everyone in the sort of immediate household was mostly self sufficient and could take care of themselves, and we decided that this cannot stand. This cannot stand you. It was very funny the my wife had started sending me photos of adoptable dogs, probably a few months ago m hm. And this is usually the start of our process, right, but like as the summer rolled on, obviously she's not teaching the kids. Think everyone's around all summer, like this would be the time to do it. And she send me this picture of this dog that was listed by the rescue group or the adoption agency as a one to three year old dog and yep. So I'm like, yeah, sure, that's fine, like says he's good with other dogs, perfect, like it should be fair like that. Obviously there's an adjustment period, but fairly low maintenance. And then later on in the process she's like, yeah, they miss she tells me like, oh they miss clicked or something when they posted him. He's actually five months. I'm just like, oh, okay. So we go and meet the dog and like he's pretty as puppy as go. He's like pretty low kay, yeah, fie do we get his actual birthday? And he's not even four months and so it's like he's a puppy puppy. I have a I have a puppy puppy.
Speaker 1: He's doing a very hat like move right now.
Speaker 2: He is a little he is a little cat like. I will say that.
Speaker 1: This so just for the listeners. The dog is sitting in Jeff's lap and it was just burying its head in his in the crook of his elbow, which is what my cats do a fair amount.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's like he's he's fairly chill, but he's also a puppy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so so not so not by four.
Speaker 2: Month old puppy standards. He is relatively chill.
Speaker 1: He's athletic for a catcher.
Speaker 2: We did a three hour draft stream yesterday at Twitch when also my wife and child were at home, and he just left on the couch behind me for three hours. He is not doing that today.
Speaker 1: No, well he did that yesterday. It's done.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's done.
Speaker 1: That is checked off the list and we can move on Patrick Deck Deck Okay, yeah, all right. On that note, let's get into the pod our. First segment, simply the Best despite getting swept by Arizona entering the All Star Break, I believe it's their first time being swept on the season. I might be wrong in that. I thought I saw someone posting totals on time swept or sweeping something like that, and the Dodgers had won. The Dodgers have the best record in baseball.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's uh, it sure is the Dodgers. You know, they're roally Andy piees. Now they didn't need it. Yeah, they just like it's you know, we talked that Kyle Tucker has sort of shown up, but they got Andy Pyees, so like it's a wash. You could basically just go one for two on your six hundred million dollar contracts slash, you know, twenty five year old center fielders, and yeah, that's it. That's all it takes.
Speaker 2: It's very funny to me, like, they obviously have a very good sets. So I'm gotte some fifty of the out this week. They're gonna have I don't know, five or six guys on it something like that. And obviously they're you know, we've made a obviously you look at their list from coming into the season and just the general scuffle butt around the team right now. They obviously have three very good outfield prospects. They're probably going to be all in the top twenty of that list.
Speaker 1: Okay, have four, I make that up.
Speaker 2: Can take in Tarotaro. He'll be on the list, but I don't think he'll be. Okay, top twenty, you don't have to kind of slow start ees and better recently. But like anyway, obviously they talked about like, yeah, where's you gonna trade one of these guys they'll be like the Beast project was like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but also not for not for a major leaguer.
Speaker 2: Probably right, No, we just want a different we want a different prospects.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, how would you feel about I don't I don't want to sound like too much of a homer like in this sense, but like I don't want to do I also don't want to do like the don't trade with the raised things. But like if you're if you're another team, how would you feel How confident would you feel about trading, you know, a prospect or a couple of prospects to the Dodgers for one of their own prospects? Would you feel good about that?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 2: I mean, like the Cubs obviously did this and got Michael Bush, who it has been to be very good, and the very good prospect they traded the Dodgers just might flip.
Speaker 1: Right, sure, But I'm just saying, like, would you feel prettyarticularly good about that?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 1: Like again, I don't want to be the Rays, you know, default the Rays win everything, because I don't think that's true. But at the same time, like I don't know, I also think a lot of the guys the Dodgers trade away haven't now Bush and now Vargas have blossomed. Obviously there's your don if you go back far enough, I guess Kybert Ruiz is having a nice year finally, right, but a lot of these trades have gone the Dodgers' way, not simply because guys have been good with the Dodgers. That's not always the case. But a lot of times the guys that they've traded away haven't really come back to bite them.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean a lot of times. It's just like even with Michael Bush, it's just the you don't have room, right, you know.
Speaker 1: That Vargas and Bush, right, they just didn't really have room.
Speaker 3: It's easy to not regret a trade when when you don't have when you just couldn't use them anyway.
Speaker 2: I mean they also traded O'Neil Cruz and you're Don Alvarez in the last decade too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well yeah, it is like again, well but I don't even know that Cruise has come back to bite them that much. Ord On Alvarez, absolutely.
Speaker 2: Sure, although you know, they don't have anyone to play them anywhere to play them because they have sho hey TONI but like again, this is just it really is kind of it's not even a double standard per se. There's like the Dodger's standard, and there's like every other standard like on a on a normal team, Like look at the sort of narrative around the Mets trading peak ro Armstrong as a prospect right for the Hobby Baya's rental in twenty twenty one, and like it's the only thing Zack Scott talks about now on his podcast as best I can tell. But like, although it's you know, that is the kind of thing that is going to I guess, I mean it is going to haunt the Mets to an extent, but also it's just going to become part of this broader Now. I got guy that could really use peakro Armstrong right now, Like obviously the Dodgers could use ord On Alvarez, but it just like it doesn't. This is very much like a winning fixes everything. But it's like it's like it is, but it's also like almost so gaudy. It's like garish amount of winning, right, Like it's just there's no way you can topple this. And look, eventually, Bets, Freeman and Otani are gonna get old. I mean, Freeman's already like in his late thirties, but like are gonna slow down, like actually slow down, and they're gonna have to find the next generation, which.
Speaker 1: I think is is again the focus on infielders, right.
Speaker 2: Right, but they can also like I don't know if there's going to be a Tucker even a Tucker level contract, give it out in the next few free I guess Elie de la Cruz they just go and get Eli de la Cruz on free agency, right, Like.
Speaker 1: It's he's a ways away, is he not?
Speaker 2: Not as far as I mean, yes, But by the time he's there, you might have the actually Otani Freeman and I guess Bets has already started to slow down, but you might actually be looking for like the next linchpin of your lineup. So they just they just create Justin Robleski, right, Yeah, like they.
Speaker 1: Just Cruz is a twenty thirty free agent. Where are ways away? Yeah, I mean it's it's not forever in the in the distance, but yeah, I mean I think again, you at the trade thing in terms of like those losing losing those those deals, whether it's Cruise or or you're.
Speaker 2: Kind of them both for like relievers, right.
Speaker 1: Tony Watson for Cruise and Josh Fields for.
Speaker 2: You know, both of them pitched pretty well for them generally.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Fields actually did, especially for multiple years, right. And you know Andrew Readman has said right, You can't expect to win every deal. You have to, like on value, you have to give more because you're pursuing something. It's a pursuit of a championship. Like that's the trade, right, is that you're going to give up more in terms of what like a model.
Speaker 2: Says, and like you also, generally speaking, you never have you always have more information about your you know, for a team looking to make a move in twenty TI, you always have more information about like your twenty twenty six playoff odds World Series odd situation that you're about twenty twenty eight, except maybe not for the Dodgers because they're probably just going to be in the same spot in twenty twenty eight.
Speaker 1: Well, that's that's fair. Our doc poses a question, is this boring.
Speaker 2: Yet, Craig?
Speaker 1: I mean, as a fan, do you like winning? Like, I don't know, I guess the what what is the question?
Speaker 3: I mean?
Speaker 2: Like, I will say that's boring. I will say this, And granted it's a World Cup summer, so I've been watching less baseball, major League Baseball than I normally watch. Also the Mets being very bad. I addicted that as well. But you know, I put I think I put the I may have hit the Dodgers of a seventy watchability not maybe because it was already starting to get a little boring to me. But it's funny because you're, what twenty five games over five hundred or right now, you know, and their usual one hundred win pace, and like on some level it doesn't feel like they've gotten out of second gear yet.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: It is like kind of like watching France in the World Cup, right, Like they're just very tidy. They get it done, but it's not exciting like even yeah, even without the novelty, like in some ways, like the White Sox are more exciting than this, right.
Speaker 1: They're probably more interesting to watch. Yeah, I mean I would say if you go back two years, there was something about that team, the twenty twenty fourteen where they just they kept coming back to win games, like they.
Speaker 2: Just they had like all the wheels falling on it is like the full uh you know, both the engines and the seven forty seven have blown out, you somehow land the plane kind of like there's.
Speaker 1: A little bit of that inevitable in an exciting way. Yeah, And I think now they're inevitable in a more boring way, I definitely think that's fair. I also think, like you look at this this team and you mentioned like being in second gear like these still like Glass now is getting healthy, he's throwing fastballs like Blake Snell is getting healthy again, right, Gavin Stone could still show up at some point like it is. It is kind of comical that it's it's appeared this easy in a lot of ways. Will also not having so many what what would normally be crucial pieces.
Speaker 2: It also felt like maybe, I don't know, maybe it could have happened in the World Cup. It feels like maybe like a month and a half, like okay, I felt like they were just kind of hanging around ten games over five hundred and okay, I think the Padres and Diamond actually going to catch him, probably not, and then they just quietly been fifteen games ever since.
Speaker 3: Well, the National League West has not helped, I think with the Masters this year. Usually there is at least one team that is the little brother. There are no brothers. The Dodgers are an only child in the National League West. This year they lead. They lead the NL West by the same division lead as the other five divisions combined at eleven and a half games like that. That's the other half of the drama. But we have had a month and a half of Eric Lauer starting pitcher for the Dodgers, right, Like, it's not like nothing has happened to this team. It's just what I think. If anything, it's that that your Dalton Rushings, you're you know, heys On Kim's like everybody, even even the backups, have been fine. Like they haven't when when the starters have gone down or when the starters have struggled with the taoscar. You know, it's just there hasn't It's it's you don't get a lineup like the Maritors have been rolling out with Buddy Kennedy at third base ever and it's the yes, that's that's you know, six million dollars they did.
Speaker 1: Chucky Robinson was here for a little bit, sure, but generally speaking, but that's one.
Speaker 2: Guy, the best third catcher in baseball.
Speaker 1: He's not even here anymore. So Elliet's right, But that's also the point, right Like you're you're pointing out Dalton Rushing is playing every day because Will Smith is hurt, but like it's not really hurt, is he Will Smith? No, No, but.
Speaker 2: He's done a pretty good facsemile of Will Smith.
Speaker 1: I mean a lot of that was concentrated in the first month of the season, hence best backup whatever. But like he's also been fine, yeah generally, I mean, at least in terms of attitude on the field, right, he's production on the field, maybe not attitude attitude nobody wanted. Hey sent Kim right, the Dodgers didn't like blow everyone out of the water just twelve minutes. And he look, he has his own problems right, too much, But but he is a bad you know, a utility infielder who is utilitied the infield. Like he's like Ryan Ward has been okay, Yeah, a lot of teams could use Ryan Ward. They the Dodgers can't use him. But this is like it is a.
Speaker 3: Combination of these.
Speaker 1: No, he was good when he filled in right in his particular role. He's not facing lefties, YadA, YadA, YadA, But like they plugged him in and he was just fine.
Speaker 3: And then you've got the guys that work here because it's the Dodgers, and like this is the closest thing major League Baseball is a super team with like Miguel Rohassen and the AARNet is, so just only want to play for the Dodgers, right, and we'll just take whatever the Dodgers pay them to be there, as Joshian calls them mascots, Right, they're not even they're not even bad players. Like mcgaul ross has been fine. He's like, I don't understand how mcgro ROAs hits, but he has just become a good hitter.
Speaker 1: They generally try and play him against lefties, right, he's better against lefties. He does that, okay, And he's a he's a good fielder.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thirty seven has a shortstop, which is also kind of weird, right, Like, thirty seven year old aren't supposed to be good shortstops generally.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know that he's a good shortstop right now. He's he's fine there, and he's good at second and third's his age is definitely shown a little bit, right, Like his range isn't great or whatever, but he's he's generally a steady hand. I will say this as we as we go into the break, they get swept by Arizona. I think someone was tracking it. They had like twenty six percent of their errors on the season in the last five games. Or something like that, Like their defense was atrocious. I like I said online, they're playing defense like I went to school second half of senior year.
Speaker 3: Like it.
Speaker 1: They do have to tighten it up, right, I mean that's part of why they got swept some stuff like that. But again, like they're they've traded for Eric Lower who then has a three twelve RA right, and I mean they traded for him, they picked him up off off DFA. Right. They might have given up a little something, but it was basically free, and he's not that. He's actually been good twenty one strikeouts in forty innings. But they're getting away with it. So I don't I don't know. Is it boring? Maybe a little? I mean I will say, look like again, this is first world problems. It's not even a problem. But I think it's a natural thing. Like they've won the last two World Series. They're gonna make the playoffs when they lose a bat. There have been bad losses, and it's a lot easier for me to be like, okay, throw it away, like easy enough. I've I've been I've been blessed as a fan, right, Like I don't really have to worry about they have an eleven and a half game lead in the division.
Speaker 2: I don't have to after getting swept, after getting swept, after.
Speaker 1: Getting swept by the Diamondbacks, Right, so I don't really have to worry about that, Like why am I gonna be distraught over it? And and look, we've talked about this. I think it's not great for baseball in general sense to like not care about the regular season. I do still care as a fan. I choose to care, but it isn't as it isn't as urgent.
Speaker 2: I mean, is this actually worse than a Guardian's White Sox penet race like an absolute scale?
Speaker 1: No? I mean no, But as you said, I do think like the White Sox pose more interesting questions. I suppose I don't know.
Speaker 3: I didn't change in October. Yeah, right, once we get to October, it'll be there's there's ways for every team to have to optimize, and ways for every team to have to juggle their injuries. Then a way that can be compelling. Right, do you start Shean or Rubleski in Game three or whatever? Right now they're gonna win one hundred games and it doesn't really matter on which particular day they win or lose when they get there. Yeah, but that's again, this is the fault of the time of pacts. This is the fault of the giants, Like, well, somebody has to compete with them, and none of them are Padres had a great run and it ran out, and uh that's you know, I don't think you can blame the Dodgers for that, right, Like there were times when the Yankees just walked away with a division, but the division needs to be walked away from. So I don't know, you still have the you know, because of the CBA, you still have this, you still have this uh you know, looming existential threat, right that some people I don't think of them as one, but there are people who are just going to treat the Dodgers as a bad end for baseball. And then if they walk through the playoffs and win a World and they sweep the World Series, that this is a problem. Yeah, And I guess, like it is almost like shooting the moon, Like if the Dodgers do too well, it's bad. And if the Dodgers struggle but managed to win, it's fine, I guess, but I don't know, it's not I don't think it's worth getting worked up about. They're just a good team. There was gonna be a good team. There's always gonna be a best team in baseball. It just happens to be the same one as last year because I have all the same players.
Speaker 1: Of the last year. But they were also in as and said, I'm sorry for repeating this, but they were also like the best team in baseball for many years without winning the worst series, and no one minded that.
Speaker 3: And they probably won't this year either.
Speaker 2: Right right now, they have one to in a row, and they thought, like again, it's like the garish nature of it too, right, Like it's not.
Speaker 1: They are there's there's the Kyle Tucker of it.
Speaker 2: Right or Edwin Diaz right, like they can just have their big free agent signings do and not. Tucker hasn't been awful, but like do not much and it least doesn't matter, right, yeah, I mean the Mets. The Mets get a not great season out of Boba Shad and among other things, and it's like more and again, a team that spends a lot of money, it's more of an issue.
Speaker 3: We have them as a slightly less than one four chance of winning the World Series right now, and that is with them walking into the playoffs.
Speaker 2: That is also high.
Speaker 3: It's insanely high. It's also still one in four, which means to win three in a row like that is now one in sixty four, right, right, as a certain point, it's just like that's what one in sixty four. Things just happen, right, You can deal yourself a full house just idealing out five cards like these things do happen sometimes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think I think it is. It is both insanely high, like to get into the the plug get over twenty percent is is very high, right. I think at the at the beginning of the season it was is around twenty twenty one, twenty two percent something like that their World Series odds. But the the thing is they were in that range, in the nineteen twenty percent range a number of years, right, this is what I keep saying, And it didn't Now does the three percent difference is a four you know, four percent difference from nineteen to twenty three percent feel different?
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely, because they've done it now. It isn't like.
Speaker 1: The Lily with with Tucker and Diaz. Absolutely, but also like Diaz wasn't a crazy deal.
Speaker 2: No, like neither was Tanner Scott I mean, there's probably too much for Tanner.
Speaker 1: Scott didn't. I didn't.
Speaker 2: I know you didn't like it. You still don't like it though he's been quite good, but it has been very good.
Speaker 4: But by the way, yeah, but look, there are teams that can spend for top level free agents and there are teams that can develop.
Speaker 2: Justin Robleski, there aren't a lot that can do both or will do both, I guess right, like Cleveland probably has the actual money to do both, but raise et cetera. And there if there is something just because they've now won to in a row. And again it's not very Saber metric of me, but it feels like, you know, they don't have the whatever less psychological Oh, they can't get it down in the playoffs, like the choker aspect of it name it was just gone, like they feel more inevitable. And again some of this is just you know, the narrative changes when you win a couple.
Speaker 1: But like, yeah, because they won and they won twenty twenty, yeah, I know, it didn't seem to change and now.
Speaker 2: Counts retroactively because they've won two.
Speaker 1: Well, and it's convenient to the point of saying like they're wrecking the sport. Right, They've won three in however many years.
Speaker 2: But like, I mean, even in between twenty twenty they have some bad losses. In between twenty twenty and twenty twenty four they stop.
Speaker 1: They started lance Lynne.
Speaker 2: And not the good one. Yeah, I mean, but like it does they feel more? They have so much floor, right, But you're also not waiting for Dave Roberts to leave Clayton Kershaw and too long you're waiting for Dave. You're waiting for Dave Roberts to Lei Yoshinnama Yamamoto, and it just works because he is clutch, right, Like, there's something like they have got this vague cle We talked about this a little bit and w that show with like Berlander, right, like you can change the narrative so quickly on this stuff because they're such small samples. And once you're a winning player, just a winning player forever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I don't.
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah, I mean, I think you can tune into like any random Dodgers game just because right, obviously you're going to see Otani and Freeman and Betts and Ty and Pie Yamamoto and some starts, you know, But it doesn't I don't know. They're obviously going to be appointment viewing in the playoffs. I'm sure they're going to do crazy ratings when all of a sudden don in October for all those series they're in. But I don't know for me, And again, I'm a very thin slice of baseball fandom on the whole for a variety of reasons. But it's just I don't know. Something about this team is also like, I mean, I guess I could find them on like an interesting series, but they're also playing a lot of games against the San Francisco Giants in the Arizona Dmomax, right, Like that's.
Speaker 1: Less less than they used to Sure, yeah, I mean I do. The other part of this to something in terms of the long term sense, is like they are the oldest team in baseball. Sure, they're very so like, I don't we started off talking about the trio of outfield prospects and they're gonna trade some of those, but we're gonna have to start working. They're gonna have to start working some of those guys. Yeah, in because you know, some of these contracts might not last. You know, we'll see Tucker might might well be four years at the at the rate he's going.
Speaker 2: I don't know, I don't oscar.
Speaker 1: Oscar has a club option through twenty twenty eight, but.
Speaker 2: What's the current status of the endless max monthly options?
Speaker 1: Are they keep Well, he's got another, I mean they keep just acting one on right, and why wouldn't you this year? Yeah, he continues to be really good. He's a better defender than he's ever been. Which is which is? I mean, that's that's one of the crazier things to me. You look at their the left side of their infield. Obviously, we've talked about Mookie Betts like going from right field to shortstop at his age, right, he's now thirty three, he's still a very good.
Speaker 2: I think he might have been drafted as a short stop, but he's like a second base process field. But he also wasn't a short stop coming out right.
Speaker 1: And then Max Munsey, who was like barely a third baseman, like hid enough to justify it. And then he's he's legitimately good there. Now he's not the best or anything, but he's he's an above average defensive third baseman. You know, that's a remarkable And then you throw in Andy Pies turning into a legitimate defensive center fielder. There have been some pretty remarkable defensive uh upgrades without changing the players out right for this team. Anyway, That's enough naval gazing from my side. Do you have another question here?
Speaker 2: I do. I noticed this. I just looked at who was leading in warp at the All Star break this morning, and you know, obviously, Judge, obviously Tani is still there. All he talked about him, even even in hitting. Obviously been a great pitching season as well. Obviously, Judges, he.
Speaker 1: Is getting his knee drained over He's.
Speaker 2: Getting his knee drained over the All Star break. But like I started, are we starting to get the next generation? Now say I'm not. I could put it as passing the torch. I don't know afterially passing the torch? Obviously, Wan Soda is still in the middle of his peak too. But like for the next you have to you know, I put like, so, who are the who's the next great crop of like position player slash hitters, And you look at it, like you know. Ord On Alvarez in some ways is more established. He might be older than one Soda. I don't even know he is older than Okay, fair enough but uh, you know, James Wood now is sort of doing it for a second. I he didn't have a great second half last year, Cam.
Speaker 1: Arrow, But I look, you can't deny the greatness of James Wood, right, James Wood is legitimately.
Speaker 2: Great junior Cameron Arrow. Seems we take finding another gear on the power while still grounding into a ton of double plays. And of course Miguel Vargas being the other one in the.
Speaker 1: At the time, and on DRC plus he's he's eight. Yeah, so he's top ten. Look, you can throw Nick Kurtz is top ten after a brutal start to the season.
Speaker 2: You know, I guess Witt has been this guy for a few years. But Witt, I think he's a very very good hitter, but a lot of his value is tied up in being a very good defensive shortstop.
Speaker 1: Speaking of internal upgrades without changing the player.
Speaker 2: Right, Uh, and then like you even have you know, Weather, Holt and mcgona go on. I don't know if they will get to this level of the guys who just discussed. Maybe Miguel Varcas is.
Speaker 1: But if I'm just sorting by by d r C plus, you know, we can look at Jordan Walker.
Speaker 3: Jordan Walker's I.
Speaker 2: Don't know that we'll it's it's a half a season, right, Walker is a little less of a sample size, and that's why I didn't include.
Speaker 1: But McGonagall also right to that degree.
Speaker 2: But two Donegal has also never been as bad as Walker was for like three years.
Speaker 1: Drake Baldwin five years old. Ye, Ben Rice is only twenty seven.
Speaker 2: Yeah, also older than Yeah.
Speaker 1: I don't know, are we buying Luis Garcia. Luis Garci is a one thirty one. I'm not really he's twenty six, He's I think, Look he goes to the Jordan Walker. He's done it short season. He's look, he's always been kind of cromulent, but.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's always had like interesting offensive tools on some level.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: No, I guess piece again, pc A has did it for a half season last year, and that didn't We'll see how the second half goes this year.
Speaker 1: Yah, I don't know how far you want to go. And again, d O C plus and and OPS plus have some disagreements about c J Abrams. Uh you know, yeah, I.
Speaker 2: A lot, but yeah, I just I'm curious to see, like who the next guy? So you know, we spent years doing the one Soto versus Akunya versus Fernando Tatis versus Flat. I think towards the end, look, they have all had excellent careers.
Speaker 1: How would you feel about mur comed in that discussion?
Speaker 2: No, I just again the sample sizes. Okay, it's very hard for me. I'm talking over like the long haul, right, Like can Murk Comedy do is for like three years?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Possibly, but like as soon as he loses even a little bit of twitch, that's going to go real bad, real quick.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 3: I just I just thought it was an interesting question given the first topic. I find it's funny that I guess we're still technically on the first topic. So few of these players are in the National League West.
Speaker 2: Carroll, I guess, Carol. Yeah, he's kind of like in between where he's I think I think this is he's established a level of production at an all star level, and I don't know, I don't I think he's hit the top gear here and have a great career, right, but he doesn't.
Speaker 3: Maybe maybe Bryce Eldridge, Right, I.
Speaker 2: Like Bryce Eldridge, but like, I don't think he's turning into yord On Alvarez.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think, I don't know he's he's hit a higher gear than this Carrol Carroll.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's also at this point, you know, had a fair amount of injuries. He's a he's a smaller framed athletic guy. Like he's still in his mid twenties. Again, I think he can do this for a few years. Yeah, But like he's also a career to fifty seven header, which again in this era is not bad. It's above average. Yeah, but he's not quite I don't know if he's quite as well round did a hitter are some of these other guys.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it's said we should should be mentioning Jackson Merrill, but came I was.
Speaker 1: Gonna say Jacksonner too.
Speaker 2: Like Conner a year ago, we obviously would have been talking about here. So this stuff can change, right, Like it's it's actually very hard. Like the thing you go back to so Soto, Akunya, Tatis and lad conversations and they've all, you know, they've all had, you know, I think, well above median careers for where they were ranked as prospects and young players. But also Soto is the only one that's really held it, held it right, and again there's like obviously Tatis and Kunya, I've had a ton of injuries. When is the other issues?
Speaker 1: Well, let me ask you that, Like you're you smiled as as you said Migel Vargus, but like we're ex Migel Vargus is twenty six, lad is twenty seven, right, Who who do you want going forward?
Speaker 2: Yeah, blad, I don't think. Okay, I don't think it.
Speaker 1: So like Flat is in this conversation not this year, but yeah, but again the torch, he's a year older and you'd rather have it.
Speaker 2: But he's also paid like six years in the majors. Like it's that that's part of it too.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well how long is your time?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, fair enough?
Speaker 1: I know, uh yeah, I think I don't know. I think it's a little early to say on a lot of these guys. I think even Kim and Ara, right, like it's he doesn't have the track record issue that Walker has. But this is a this is another gear from last year.
Speaker 2: I mean it is, but it's not like I mean, the major difference is he's like walking twice as much. And look, some of that might I'm sure some of that if I dug down is he's been a little more disciplined. He's all like, why would you pitch to him in that lineup? But he's also I think he's hitting behind Yandy and Ronda most of the time, so extremely why would you pitch him in that lineup? Like yeah, And he's like, now he's not a great defensive third baseman.
Speaker 1: Yeah that is boy? Is that kind?
Speaker 2: I mean, look, he's yeah, I mean like yeah, I mean it depends, like FRB hates him a lot more than some of the other metrics. But like whether you think he's a minus five, he might. He might legitimately be a minus five third baseman and that'll be okay for a few more years. I don't, like, I wonder if they try him and like left field at some point because like he moves, okay.
Speaker 1: I don't. I don't think he he has to stay bad, right, we're just talking about Max Months or whatever. Like, I don't think his tools are bad.
Speaker 2: He's also almost as big as Max Max Mounzy now, like he's a big boy like he I like that he's still listed it, yeah, still listed at six thirteen twenty. He is not six one two twenty.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It's also it's not even just the range or whatever. No, he's got thirteen errors.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: If he could clean that up, he could almost certainly battle it to a draw, right, But like that's that's not what's what's happening right now. What's happening right now is he's a bad third basement right.
Speaker 2: Look, he might just end up at first base when they leaves, and like fine, Like I don't have like it's going to cut into his value some but he is a fifty percent better than league average hitter who gives a.
Speaker 3: Shit, right, right, somebody's got play first.
Speaker 2: Yeah, someone's gota play first. He's listed at six one two twenty. He's probably like six three, so like, I don't think is billion issue personally. I would try him the outfield, but but he's also twenty two, right, Like, like, what does this look like? But the twenty five for the bad I think the age.
Speaker 1: Is I don't what does it mean for twenty five? If you're junior camera? Is he gonna be? Is he gonna he swings as hard as humingly possible? Yes, he's fully filled out. Does it mean like, yes, he swings too, and you can lock in the production, but you're not necessarily saying, here's a lot more growth.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I don't. I don't think.
Speaker 1: Maybe it comes in the softer areas like we've seen, like walk rate right like that.
Speaker 2: I don't think that possible he has, right, I don't think it's impossible if he continues to hit like this, that he has some Jordon type season where he like walks fifteen percent of the time and strikes out fifteen percent of the time. Okay, Like I coud see him cleaning up to swing and miss even a little bit more, which, again, given how hard he hits, the ball is going to have yeah, significant knock on effects.
Speaker 1: Yeah he doesn't.
Speaker 3: He has.
Speaker 1: He has the general profile someone you would expect to strike out more than he does. Yes, right, Like he has. That is the type of power and swings that he takes. But like, dude has strikeouts in ninety four games.
Speaker 2: Is not a guy that swings this hard and has this longest swing, right, it's like almost an eight foot swing.
Speaker 1: He expect a lot heard a lot of whiffs.
Speaker 2: Right, and like again he doesn't like his own contact rate have gone up basically every full season eighty five percent.
Speaker 1: Now that's that's incredible. I mean, I would I would have said, off the top of my head, eighty right, like good.
Speaker 2: Unless he's done that at least twenty twenty five or twenty by swinging a lot less. But again I think that's fine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sure, it certainly has been.
Speaker 2: I mean, the main issue is is his barrel control doesn't suck, but it's not like an optimized swing plane. Hence all the like he's still hits them all on the ground fifty percent of the time. Yeah, it's a very it's a very funny distribution because he either hits the ball on the ground or pulls it in the air. Those like the two things that he does.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I mean the double place, right, I like it is. It is a hilarious kind of combination of things when you look at obviously the home runs and just the offensive pro and then it's like also by the way he hits into a ton of double plays and commits a lead leading number of errors. What we're gonna give him, We're gonna give him superpowers and also super flaws.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Uh, shall we move on to our second segment? It's BP on draft draft excuse me, rock hold on. Maybe you can kip, maybe, maybe you can clip Manford here, I'm gonna try Chluski. Yeah is how Manfred said it. Look it took me right back to bud see like say in Los Angeles.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean obviously we are not great at pronunciating. Pronunciating great pronouncing.
Speaker 1: Literally up draft heading into this sore.
Speaker 2: On this podcast.
Speaker 1: I would get I would get up.
Speaker 2: You know I would get him. You can ask, you can ask fanatically.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, well you say fanatic, it could be Kulawski.
Speaker 2: I guess, yeah, But I mean there's like no, I mean, like right out, but it's not colluciation. It's not.
Speaker 1: Rock goes first. This is not a surprise. Maybe not as inspiring as you want, like so much Dance by Swanson.
Speaker 2: Everyone says that, and I get it, but also Dance by Swanson is a well above median first overall pick.
Speaker 1: Yes, but it's done saying it's a bad outcome.
Speaker 2: Right, But I mean, do you want excitement or do you want like the forty one player like.
Speaker 1: I don't sometimes he's gonna pass. Probably you're dreaming you want both? Yeah, I guess that's true, right, The draft is about dreaming.
Speaker 2: Do you think Justin Upton was a good first overall? Pick. Yeah, yes, Swanson is going to pass it either this year or next and career war yeah and I.
Speaker 1: Right, just yeah, but but Atlanta is not seeing the benefit of the part where he passed Upton.
Speaker 2: Sure, but they're also not seeing the decline part of it either.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, but Upton was on another I mean that was.
Speaker 2: I mean, I meant for Swanson, but yeah, I guess fair.
Speaker 1: No, But I'm just saying, like the point is like the decline, right, I mean, I'm with you on this, I understand. I'm just saying that, like if you're I don't know you kind of it's not It's not that it's a bad outcome, but given how many end up below.
Speaker 2: Sure, I mean that that is the problem if you if you're.
Speaker 1: You want to shoot at the stars so that if you miss, you end up a little higher. Right. But people also thought Swanson was going to be better than Swanson and Dandy.
Speaker 2: Swanson was picked one one he got. He did not get comped to the previous version of day.
Speaker 1: You don't you don't want the this is this is the Mariners five forty win percentage. Yeah, yeah, you want to him higher it's five forty because then you end up at five forty when you miss.
Speaker 2: It's also not impossible he's better than that offensively. Sure there are.
Speaker 1: Some No, this is no, that's absolutely true.
Speaker 2: It's just uh, I mean, like again, the options.
Speaker 1: It's just not inspiring.
Speaker 2: I'm not saying I don't think that.
Speaker 1: It's not to condemn.
Speaker 2: Him, right, I don't think there was an more inspiring one one pick in this draft. Is the other part of it, Like people are going to say Grady.
Speaker 1: Emerson, this is where I bow out.
Speaker 2: People are going to say Grady Emerson. But also like my giving this point of the draftee, like Grady Emerson has a lot of this game tools, is Schilowski He's just the similar right yeah yeah, so like and maybe he develops that more. Maybe he would have developed that more in college and might do it more in a professional hitting development system. But like it's not you're not picking between him and like some crazy five tool center field prep prospect, right, Like there's a lot of like to me, like reading the reports like kind of feels like Marcello Meyer again, like with in the one to one conversation his year and you know it was a very well regarded prospect for most of his prospectim and is not really hitting the majors. But I think it's kind of like a similar range of high end outcomes here even if Meyer didn't get to his And then you have you have a college catcher, so good luck with that, who's really only performed for one year in the ACC. I mean von Lackey was a good prospect draft house that coming into the season.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: And then Jackson Flora, who's an interesting college pitcher who you feel like there's a little bit more in the tank. But also I don't know, like I don't know where the inspiring text is coming from here.
Speaker 1: Does say something about the draft as a whole.
Speaker 2: So it's a very deep draft class. You can find a lot like well, Chilowski is not super exciting as a one one. It was a fairly deep college back class. It's a fairly deep college arm class, like you can be excited about. I think college hitters and pitchers that went like in the twenties and thirties here more than you would in most years. But yeah, it was a it was a weird draft lift and as well as.
Speaker 1: I think here's what I think was weird about it. It was at one o'clock on a Saturday.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was not thrilled about that.
Speaker 1: Well, a bunch of games were happening.
Speaker 2: Well, a bunch of games were happening, and the World Cup it ran into the They got the first forty picks don before the England game at least. But yeah, they don't. Also like they kicked out all the media and started breaking down the set during the second round.
Speaker 1: They also no players there for the second straight year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't. I don't know what the.
Speaker 1: To be clear, I think this thing should be a conference call.
Speaker 2: So like, yeah, I know that doesn't if you are going.
Speaker 1: They seem they seem to think it should be something and this is the weirdest way to behave if you think it should be something, they.
Speaker 2: Don't actually like they think that they think that it should be something, right, Like it's like they see, they see what the NFL does, Like, we want this for us, but we also don't know how to do it or want to put in a lot of effort. Yeah, the work, I think that costs money. And like there's still gonna be inherent issue like like whatever. So, like the NBA draft happened fairly recently, Like you know, the you know, you can, like a j De Bonds is gonna start for somebody wi the Wizards. But like they're like, whoever you draft is going to start immediately, right.
Speaker 1: Cable Wilson is going to start for the Bulls, et cetera.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and like you know you can also you also have like, you know, Jazz fans are going knocks over Darren Peterson's Summer League performances so far, which is like a normal thing that happens.
Speaker 1: Speaking of the top four picks, the top four picks had insane to be debuts in in the I mean it's summer league. Soever, they all did very well.
Speaker 2: So yeah, the Jazz, the Jazz fans are already like we don't have room for like Bryce sends the ball, what are we going to do? Like n sing not that good but also whatever, they're already penciling themselves in for the Western Conference finals. Good, but you get that immediate like and also like like a lot of people watch college basketball, a lot of people watch college football even beyond the Okay, these guys will have some sort of immediate impact. Like I don't, like, you know, I don't if I can come up and be like, you know, twenty five point game story. But like you can, like step On Castle and guys like that, right then come up in the first couple of seasons and be major contributors for you know, significant teams, and you don't have that in the MLB draft. And you also the problem like even if college baseball and college baseball I think is growing, it's audience pretty well, like the availability on ESPN Plus and like the various conference networks. It's not a lot, right, Like it's not it's not Notre Dame on NBC every Saturday afternoon, but it's it's something. But like Grady, I'm like, you can't like just know a lot about Grady Emerson unless you're a tree seco, right, Like even if you're watching the Combine and things like that, like you're not going to East Coast Pro or Area Code games or no.
Speaker 1: But I would think if you want it, and again this is not how I feel, but I think if you wanted to take this the position that that is what a draft telecasts and like making a big deal out of the draft would before, I think you could credibly make that case, right to do lead in stuff to say like we're going to make a big deal out out of our draft because people don't necessarily know all these they're going to know some of these guys. They're not gonna know all these guys, and it's our opportunity to show them.
Speaker 2: The other problems these guys. Is like, if you look at these NFL and there there are just like NFL draft guys right, like mel kiper junior for you know, this is happening more in the NBA now too, like the you know, basically base like baseball has these people and they have gotten like you know, Carlos Calazo and Jim Kallas and last Pertzowski were all on the shows here, but it's still Dan O Doubt and Harold Reynolds right, And I like, I don't know what their prep is. I feel like they are.
Speaker 1: Parachuting Sparkley doing the college basketball.
Speaker 2: I feel like they are parachuting in the week of and be like, who do I need to know about it? Instead of like building this And look, obviously Pipeline does mock drafts and things like that and draft boards, but it's not.
Speaker 1: Well, you actually learned something when Jim Kallis talks and you don't want anyone else and no offense obviously Carlos and those guys, but you know what I mean, like these other guys.
Speaker 2: Right, And that's like part of it too. It's like you don't now to an extent, anyone tuning into this is probably looking at draft boards and mock drafts before the most people, not all people, most people tuning into it. But yeah, I don't know. There, it's going to be a very difficult bridge that they are not even trying to build basically, the way I will put it.
Speaker 1: Look, I mean almost all draft like as a fan, almost all draft experience is fatuous anyway, It's all right, did my team win the draft? Did a guy like my draft? That's all anybody reads like there.
Speaker 2: It's even harder to do MLB draft trades versus other sports because like in the NBA, like an NFL, you are drafting for need to an extent, yes, and MLB you're just not.
Speaker 1: But it's almost always influences, right, like if if you have a point guard, sure, if you have a legit point guard, you might not draft. Like, you know, I don't know if the Wizards ever really considered Darren Peterson right because or whatever, but like they signed whether they should have or not Trey Wow, yeah Young, thank you, Trey Young to a big deal. He's going to be your point guard, right, you then don't draft a point guard to sit behind him because you're trying to get better. Right, So like there's some influence there. Yes, it might not be the it's not even necessarily the primary concern.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: You can double up, you can move guys around, you can play them off ball whatever.
Speaker 2: Right, if there's a generational point guard, but you probably don't sign try Young if you know you already have the first overall pick.
Speaker 1: But also like you, but but there's playing roster building there. Yeah, there's not.
Speaker 3: There's not, well and less even in football.
Speaker 1: But but yeah, even in football, I think positional need gets overrated pretty highly when it.
Speaker 2: Comes to draft unless you really need a quarterback.
Speaker 3: Yeah, unless you really need a quarterback.
Speaker 1: And then that is the same coin flip that is basically the baseball draft at that point, unless you're drafting one the top five picks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, uh yeah, so don't.
Speaker 1: I don't think I think it's it's a problem that base there's there's stuff that baseball.
Speaker 3: Does wrong with its draft, and there's stuff that baseball cannot.
Speaker 2: Fix, right, And like the draft. For me, at least, my interest in the draft, such as it is, I know, outside of the professional I run it prospect evaluation vertical is that I am interested in the sort of the philosophies and the process and how it plays out and figuring out what teams are thinking. Right, I don't get the immediate Like, first of all, you can't evaluate a draft to day up. I saw it like I don't want to like call out a random person on Twitter. I don't remember who it was. Somebody sent it to me. But just like did draft grades gave the Brewers a D? And my thing is like if you think, if you actually knew more than.
Speaker 1: The Brewers philosophy is draft one of Evil's kids. That's there.
Speaker 2: If you knew more than the Brewers draft room, you would be working for a team like they're one of the best at like aligning their draft to play Like like you know, I think and I look, I do think there are gaps right, Like I'm not gonna some of the philosophy is like this philosophy sucks. I don't agree with it, and there's a long many years of it not working. I don't know why you keep doing this.
Speaker 1: And some of this is because of their success, so they picked later and stuff like that. Right, but like the Tyler Black didn't work out, Like all those weird thing guys that seemed like they were making work, none of them really have sure come through yet. Sure, I don't want to preclude it, right, it hasn't been that long.
Speaker 2: Eric Botantis looked pretty good this year. But like, but you know, they also they have a very clear philosophy where they're just going to give like two and a half million dollars to five guys they're not going to really they picked later, but they're just around. They're scattering money around you, and they're going to chake as many bites as the apple for their dad as they can. And like they have specific both hitting and pitching types they like as well. But like doing a draft the day of is just not productive and you're going to be if you're doing it, you're probably too huge into your own draft board anyway. But that just sort of like is what is emobie draft is? You know, I Craig Tright, it can't just be a conference call.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I like, I mean I've I've tended I didn't because it was the weekend, so like, but my favorite part back in the day was like I just threw on through on this conference call of rounds two through you know ten, and then ten through whatever, and it was just on all day and I got to whatever and I would be at work. But it's just like listeners to a podcast basically, right.
Speaker 2: I don't like they just do it on Wednesday night.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm doing on an off day. I don't And again, I'm not going to do the whole rant, but like, again, just make the Futures game because that's those guys are going to be there, right, Like make the Future's game your jewel, right instead of and but they don't. They hate the Futures Game. So whatever.
Speaker 2: I don't know why that. I don't know why they keep doing it other than I guess they need something to add to the All Star ticket package along with this sled. I guess the celebrity home run derby now for.
Speaker 1: You or whatever.
Speaker 2: I will never one of my one of my favorite memories of my decade at Baseball Perspectus is sitting in the i know, like the press box lunch area in Cleveland with Craig and Craig losing his mind as they pre taped the Celebrity Softball game, because they kept saying the same they kept saying the same things over and over again because they only they clipped it so it was only the ball in play for each hit her and the actually like six pitches long with them just all saying it was like I remember who it was. It was. It was like Mendoza and uh I'm Mendoza Rabbit and uh yeah Perez or something like that. Like but it's like blah blah blah, Star of.
Speaker 1: Real unlocked a memory.
Speaker 2: Craig, just like cra like looking around, like we're just sitting around, Like I.
Speaker 1: Felt like I was in the twilight zone.
Speaker 2: Because they're playing it on the TV. They saw it like they're they have the live footage playing with like the broadcast, but obviously they chop it up for like because I think it runs.
Speaker 1: I think I I think. I truly had no idea how much editing.
Speaker 2: Yeah went into the Celebrity Softball game.
Speaker 1: The Celebrity Softball.
Speaker 2: Like more than anything. Did I hear that before?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: No, I I it was like deja vus times a million, like I had Wow, I had completely blocked that out. Yeah, that was very disoriented. I'm not that smart. You guys like, I don't know what to tell you.
Speaker 3: You know, I like that product is not for me. You know, I will say if banana ball is not for me, then certainly.
Speaker 2: The celebrity like, yeah, I mean they haven't like the draft.
Speaker 1: That'll they'll just do That's that's the future path. They're gonna do a banana bananas game during an All Star.
Speaker 3: Probably yeah, but what.
Speaker 1: Honestly probably good for both both.
Speaker 3: It probably would be good for both parties. And what I what I want though, Like every once in a while people are like, you know, there's always the celebrity game, and then there's always people who want the skills competition.
Speaker 1: Right, what I want is the celebrity skills stuff. I want Jason Alexander Cotton a rundown.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was just a twist.
Speaker 1: I think I think we need this is I don't know how many people are familiar with Alex Kershner's theory that he and a bunch of his friends could could execute a rundown on a professional on a professional baseball player, get like you need to get like a I think that's what we need. I think we need pros versus Joe's in certain scenarios needs like.
Speaker 2: A recently a fairly recently retired like good base runner.
Speaker 1: Exactly.
Speaker 2: I don't Billy Hamilton. Get Billy Hamilton out.
Speaker 1: That's not fair, Taylor. You know, honestly Austin Austin Slater is right there, just like, let's just get Austin.
Speaker 2: I think he's someone a little faster than Austin's later.
Speaker 1: Okay, but you know what I mean, right like, just like like I think a pros verse recently recently retired pros versus Joe's, i'd be I want to look Alex is so confident, just getting.
Speaker 2: Over the whoever the Angels have dfa last at them where it's like Rice Head Chris.
Speaker 1: Taylor, Chris Taylor, I mean very slow. People think he's not slow.
Speaker 2: Very who's the the in fielder.
Speaker 1: That this is Adam Fraser's job as soon as he you need someone as soon as he gets cut. It's not an.
Speaker 2: Average runner, Frasier, I don't think and run well anymore. And make him do like I don't. He's not a great runner. Make him try to get hobby bias.
Speaker 3: What's Nick Madrigal doing these days?
Speaker 2: He's actually the Angels Angels, the.
Speaker 3: Race minor league system right now, the race scarcia.
Speaker 2: No, yeah, he can run. He can run. Also, there's the fear that he can just truck you at any point in time.
Speaker 1: Well, look, I think that should be to stare down. I think that should be present. That should be a fear that's going to influence a wild throw. Okay, No, I think that would.
Speaker 2: Be who's the widest good runner? The why for like throwing purposes? Who is the widest good runner?
Speaker 1: Probably like one of these athletic catchers.
Speaker 2: Right now, Milton Varshow is pretty wide. I feel like he's definitely like, yeah, he's stocked. I guess he's more stock, but yeah, he's squat.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Varshow could run. Yeah, I mean that's not I mean he plays center field.
Speaker 2: I know he played center field.
Speaker 1: No, I'm I'm thinking I said catcher like I was, Like, I mean he was.
Speaker 2: He was a catcher. That's why I thought he was all right, let's look, hang.
Speaker 1: On, back on track to the draft. There were no real surprises in the top four.
Speaker 2: Hang on, I want to look at sprint speed leader so I can see the widest fast running. Then I think the widest fast runner. Garrett Mitchell is not that wide. No, gangly, he's gangly. Yeah, A j Ewing is like like thirtier than you think, but he's also I would not describe him as wide. I think the widest.
Speaker 1: Luis Robert is a good runner, and he's pretty broad.
Speaker 2: He's pretty broad. Yeah, yeah, you'd also get hurt. He would not be allowed to do it. I think the answer is actually Joey Artis Joey. He's st stocky. He is a stocky dude. He's also got twenty nine but very good. Dylan Cruz, Yeah, Cruise was about when I saw that.
Speaker 1: That's got broad shoulders.
Speaker 2: He does. Brenton Doyle's relatively wide.
Speaker 1: I feel like you're naming like guys I think of as extremely athletic center fielders.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but they're still like they're not like they're not built like justin Crawford though, either something and I need.
Speaker 1: To go Joey Joey Weimer.
Speaker 2: Joey Weimer is just tall. I mean he's a big guy, but he's just tall.
Speaker 1: I'm thinking broad shoulders.
Speaker 2: I'm thinking like built like a fire hydrant.
Speaker 3: More.
Speaker 2: Oh, I got it.
Speaker 1: Then at Langford, Jason Dominguez oh ye, yeah, you had a.
Speaker 2: Better chance to get it over his head. But like Jason Dimnez, also a guy that might hurt himself doing that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, now I'll try and get us back on track again. The top four of the draft went pretty as expected, and then.
Speaker 2: Then the Pirates, then the Pirates, and.
Speaker 1: The Pirates, but the Pirates generally, I.
Speaker 2: Thought, it's fine, this is a very Pirates pick too. It's like a decent hitting college center fielder that can probably play center. But it's like the most like this is the one where it's like, okay, that's not very exciting, where the outcome is like, yeah, there's some of there's some Michael lay Taylor since we already just mentioned him, there's a Michael Taylor here where I think he'll be like a major leaguer and are reasonably good one and should move quickly. But also like if he if it's not a plus hit tool, like this is just not really that.
Speaker 1: So just just for reference, and I think people should go back to our final a big board that we had he was Curry all was.
Speaker 2: Fifteenth yep, and again I assume he is. He might get something close to the fifteenth slot, but also like I feel like if you are going to do this kind of cut, you should at least be swinging for a little more outside.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And and by the way, I mean this has.
Speaker 2: This has a little bit of like one hundred dozer vibes to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and not sin too, dar Horne, As you said, this was as expected, but like our big board did go Chelaski, Emerson, Lackey Flora to start with with several EJ. Booth was was seventh, he went seventh. You know this. There were a lot of hits in this. Yeah, and again this was not a projection. This is just our big board. But to give you some sense, and again fifteen to five is not necessarily always as big as it seems. They're going to send her spread the money around, so be it. Other draft surprises.
Speaker 2: Surprises sounded like the.
Speaker 1: First one that really caused consternation early was the Red Sox and Jake Schaffner.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and again they end up signing Martin Schallar and the Nines. Who's going to take most of that, if not all of that? Bonus Cod and Adam was a high first round pick.
Speaker 1: Schalar for for reference for people, Schalar was our thirteenth overall on our big board, and the Red Sox took them in the night.
Speaker 2: That's the hell of a float too, because they got all the college guys they wanted in between basically as well, that's why you picked clar later. So the college guys that might go off and around, you know, push them back off your board and.
Speaker 3: Like that.
Speaker 2: Hand the like, look that was a reach at twenty. He is also a guy that if you get him a little more batspeed in twitch, could be a really good player, and that is something the Red Sox are very good at.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, but it did. It was Yeah, people were reacting to it.
Speaker 3: People reacted to the justin Lebron.
Speaker 2: Yeah Lebron, and mostly take up Lombard dropping. But like also, this is not a surprise to me or our draft team that those two guys.
Speaker 1: Specifically dropped, Like yeah, well I would again, I recommend reading the write up on Lombard because it details a lot of.
Speaker 2: Look I like, I think if you're the Marlins, you got to take him there, like you take him there, you take the swing at that point if he falls to you, just because of the upside Lebron, even Lebron where he was picked. Like, again, nobody on our draft team thinks he will hit. He did not hit in the SEC this year. Especially. You know, we will see how that goes from there, basically. But I also get like there is enough upside and you can even argue enough floor with the defense and the power. But you would have also said the same thing about Vance Honeycutt, and I don't know. I Vance honeycut is getting to the majors.
Speaker 1: So right, Logan Hughes went earlier than Yeah, Again, the gaps here are not substantial.
Speaker 2: I saw Logan Hughes because when he came to town along with Caden Ferraro, I think went around three to the Cardinals, round three or four, and I think round four, I think he took Williams seven three.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: And I did not think, I will say this, I did not think the gap between Logan Hughes and Kiden Ferro was you know, seventy pigs worth or whatever. I thought they were broadly that Hughes as a better defender in that he can play corner outfield. But I don't think there's a huge gap there.
Speaker 1: And uh, I will say the the other one that that I saw people react. I think so it might just be my feet is filled with a lot of Mets fans. Was Carson Wiggins.
Speaker 2: Uh, this is if you want to be generous to this Mets draft, which I don't particularly and Jared even less so. Uh. The Mets are just going to have more information about Carson Wiggins than anyone else at this point because they have his medicals. He threw on the side for them. You know, he did not pitch obviously at Arkansas, much to the consternation of Arkansas.
Speaker 1: This is also just for reference for people. That's Jackson Wiggins. Yes, the Cubs prospect who is hurt a lot.
Speaker 2: He Carson Wiggins has been hurt for the last thing.
Speaker 1: Right, Well, that's kind of what I was what I was going for. Uh, it's his brother.
Speaker 2: Look, he is going to be a He's also going to be a REASONAB basically can cut at that pick. And they also paid it forward for Aiden Robbinson third, which is not again like, look, they took Aiden Robbins fifty spots after we ranked him, but he's also not necessarily a guy you want to be like flow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a couple other things I will I will mention. Uh, the Dodgers didn't pick until forty they took bo Bo.
Speaker 2: Is it lower allowance?
Speaker 1: Is it?
Speaker 2: I think it's just Lawrence, but it spelled.
Speaker 1: Lawrence but with an oh in the yeah, which is right around where we had him. That was, but that was just their first pick because they dropped. The Mets dropped to right.
Speaker 2: They were Mets drop ten spots. Yeah, so did the Phillies I believe.
Speaker 1: And yeah, the Phillies took Tyler Spangler. And then I was just gonna say the White Sox generally, I mean, you know, you can nitpick Chilawski, but people seem to like what they came away with.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it's they had twenty million dollars to spend or whatever. It was, right, they had a huge bull and like I even thinking of her best worst drafts, best or worst drafts, I loved the Cardinals drafts. And again they had a ton of money to spend. They traded for two cop picks in the and to Donovan Dio and they had I think a competitive balance pick of their own.
Speaker 1: And I know, I'm just gonna shout this out because Jarrett, really it's well our team, I guess, I don't know. I felt like it was Jared really liked Chris Hcopian for the Nationals. Yes, and I'll shout them out because Rockville, Maryland, Yeah, gives the Nationals too. Get I guess I don't know their whole system.
Speaker 2: Again, Trevor Conton, Tikan Kun's I'm surprised.
Speaker 1: The Cardinals got Trevor Conton and which.
Speaker 2: I think are great picks of those spots.
Speaker 1: And then as phenomenal named Rocko Amunta Scalza.
Speaker 2: Yes, then they picked all my every big twelve guy that came through. They picked Andrew Williams, and they picked Cayden Ferraro. They picked the ASU pitcher too, I think the su or Arizona. But uh yeah, I think they just had a really good draft and again they had the luxury the flexibility to really.
Speaker 1: Push.
Speaker 2: But I think they also like and again I don't think they did crazy like full manipulation stuff with these picks. I think they just got good value ever where they picked.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, and they and they had, like you said, they had the budget to just take guys yeah right right, and and get good value there. So I think that covers it for us. Why don't we take a break and we can come back with the rest of the show. Welcome back to episode five hundred and sixty two of five and five. We're on segment three. We might actually hear from Patrick at some point on this podcast. It's been it hasn't been. Patrick areas of concern on this one. I was gonna say that the Maryor's selected at a res and the only reason I noticed is because for some reason, Angel Reese was being cocked about a lot on the timeline at that exact moment when the draft came, you know, the pick came very confusing. It was it was a little confusing. I kept forgetting Ace's name because I'm like, there already is one. Also, the thing about is.
Speaker 3: That his middle name is Douglas, and I think that when he disappoints you, I think that's exactly.
Speaker 1: We'll go to our third segment. Rumor has it the Marlins are buying Yep, yeah, they should be.
Speaker 3: After spending two years not trading Sandy al Kantara, they're going to continue not trading Sandy al Kantar.
Speaker 1: Yep, sure, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Basically by the Guardians. Like again, I think we we discussed on the last show. I do not think this is a good team, but they are also close enough to the playoffs that they should be buying. Yeah, like, you don't know if you're gonna be going.
Speaker 1: The four back of the They got swept, but they're stole only four back of the division.
Speaker 2: Like unlike the Dodgers. Let me mention that. But the Marlins do have way more information about how competitive they are in twenty twenty six versus twenty twenty eight. I don't know if to see will be any good in twenty twenty what.
Speaker 1: Do you think? So, Okay, the Marlins are gonna be buying, but what are they gonna be buying?
Speaker 2: They need a starter badly, like anyty like they could. They need a number four starter that is not Tyler Phillips.
Speaker 1: Okay, what's available?
Speaker 3: And they need a third basement so that they can free up Hoavi or so they had to be a utility guy, right, So there was a perfectly okay player, but he shouldn't be your starting third base.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I'm not disagreeing with any of this. What's available? I mean they're again we've talked about this. I don't think Detroit is now six and a half back of the division. I don't think that they're gonna and I don't think they should. So, so who's selling h Royals are going to sell. But as our next item, know if you want they want to, Yeah, I'm gonna fold it in. The Royals want a lot for Michael Waka and Seth Luca.
Speaker 2: The Marlins could really use Michael walk.
Speaker 1: No, I agree. Should they trade a lot for him?
Speaker 2: I don't again, no, they should not trade a lot for him. I do not know what the Royals consider a lot. That's the part of this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I also don't know. I mean the Mets. The Mets might make someone available.
Speaker 2: I mean, par Alta is definitely available, like the Moilds could trade. Trading for Freddy. Parolta is not the worst.
Speaker 1: Not a bad idea. I don't know what they give up.
Speaker 2: But yeah, yeah, it looks like a shorter term rental, so it probably won't cost as much as Michael Waka for some reason, like.
Speaker 1: He also has I think Patrick said last pod like Brady Singer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Brady Singer bitch is hurt right now.
Speaker 1: Again, singers in Cincinnati to.
Speaker 2: Be I know, but I'm just thinking about other Royals. Yeah, I know, Singer was also a Royal himself.
Speaker 1: I mean could you get Ryan Feltner from the Rockies right now?
Speaker 2: Probably pretty good? Pretty good, Like obviously that's a that's a much nicer home park for him to pitch in than Corey's too, given his right, given his skill set. But yeah, it is difficult to find.
Speaker 1: UH sellers selling But like, do they have anyone?
Speaker 2: Like the Orioles. Probably should, He's been very good lately. The Oriols would consider flipping Trevor Rodgers as a rental, but they're also enough they're not going to do it right. They're buying the Mets don't really like they traded Peterson who the Marlins? Frankly, I know he's good for Chicago, but the Marlins could have used I don't know if they're going to make another. I guess Clay Holmes might be available one here. He's probably going to make a major league start or two before the trade deadline. He does have a opt out, a one year opt out, but it's not a lot of money, like it's it's an it's a low enough guarantee. I think you can make it work. Like he's unlikely to opt in unless he has like a catastrophic injury in the next three months. Uh, and even then I do like so it's like one in thirteen.
Speaker 1: The thing about this is like it screams like we're gonna acquire Tyler Molly. Yeah, and and hope he's been better Robbie. That's what this entire trade deadline feels like. We're not gonna poney up for a short thing. And I'm not saying for the Marlins specifically, I'm saying for everybody. It's just gonna be like we're gonna take someone else's trash.
Speaker 2: And I hope it's trade deadline POD is still gonna be three and a half hours long.
Speaker 3: There's gonna be a lot of trades.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of trades, and they're all gonna be.
Speaker 2: Like gonna I'm talking about like Lucas or sag.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't even think it's gonna be like we're gonna try and turn trash into treasure. It's just we're gonna take trash and hope it's less trash.
Speaker 3: And if the Marlin's on a third baseman, they're getting trash. There's yeah, I mean, there is not a third basement on the market.
Speaker 2: Package. Brett Baby and.
Speaker 3: Ret Baby is actually one of the Betts. Yeah, I know. Anyho Suarez has struck out thirteen times in his last twenty one plate appearances.
Speaker 2: Has that raised for the season.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's there's like there's certain positions where there just aren't anybody right, and unfortunately it's several of the positions the Marlins need there are And.
Speaker 1: Also like the Royals are selling, they're not going to sell Mike Calgarcia, yeah, right, Like the Rockies don't have a third basement. It's Kyle Carros right, Like I don't know, the Angels don't have a third baseman.
Speaker 3: No, leon Mancatta is you know, hurt again. You know for a center field it's Harrison Dater. Like for the millions time in a row, Harrison Vader is the center fielder around. He's on the aisle right now. He's also not good. He's got a one ninety eight opp eleven plate appearances this year.
Speaker 1: That's just it's very swat. I mean, he's just not been able to get going right.
Speaker 3: But yeah, you are.
Speaker 1: You are essentially like you're not even trading for a better player at the position, You're just trading for another shot at something like you basically just have to have a you have have to believe that the other guy has a better chance of positively resting than the guy you have. Yeah, and I know this is the same discussion, so I apologize. But like the Blue Jays aren't going to sell, the Orioles have said they're not going to sell. The Red Sox are now in third place in the ALE.
Speaker 3: They're half a game out of the playoffs, right.
Speaker 1: The top four teams in the Central are not in the ALE Central and not going to sell. The Athletics and Angels might, but they don't really have anything. They don't have a ton to I mean, like maybe Redebtmers if they make them available, right, but like outside of that, there's not a ton to offer. The top four teams in the NL East are not gonna I don't think the Nationals are gonna hard sell or anything like that. They're game under five hundred, and that's after a three game losing streak. I don't the Central. It's only the Reds, right, and then and then the NL West and it's it's I don't know, you could pick any of them, but like again, you go to third base. Nolan Eronado has a no trade and has used it before. Uh, the many Matada is not going anywhere. The Giants. Look, if they were gonna move Casey Schmidt, I'm sure they could get a haul, but I don't think they're going to Well.
Speaker 3: They're just playing them in the outfield now. And he's a good hitter, yeah.
Speaker 1: But he's a good fielder yeah. And I mean you could play him on the infield, but like, I don't think they're gonna move him. I mean, like these these teams just like there's too many teams too close. Yeah, And and the teams that are are far enough out that maybe they shouldn't like the And again, I don't know that you can even say the Orioles and Blue Jays are far enough out. They're two and a half games out of a wildcard spot. But like they they came in with enough expectations that they're they can't can't justifiably move off r.
Speaker 3: I mean we we we laughed about ja you joked about Jake luccarthy. He is one of the better options I there right now.
Speaker 2: The Mets are going to trade so many guys.
Speaker 3: Maybe it's gonna hurt inside the park. Yeah, Yeah, it's gonna be weird deadline. If the Angels don't trade det Mers. It is really I mean, I understand why they don't want to do it, but also like, doesn't it if they don't say?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I guess they're bringing in a new GM, and maybe you want a new GM and make the trade he wants. But that's also never like.
Speaker 3: This is the moment, this is the moment.
Speaker 1: This is the moment, right, wouldn't literally everyone line up for Redebtmers right now?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, they should probably trade s Riano too. Yeah, they're gonna be bad anyway.
Speaker 2: Yep, there's a lot of control left. I guess, not a.
Speaker 3: Lot, but the same as I think.
Speaker 2: I guess he was a reliever for a while yet a haul.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, if you get a new GM, you can you can then flip those prospects if you don't like the like you know, they're not.
Speaker 2: The Dodgers are interested, yes, and also look, I expect whoever they hire is going to be at least somewhat philosophically aligned with John AZELI.
Speaker 3: X, that's true. That's problem.
Speaker 1: The last thing on rumor has it the Phillies are interested in Guriel?
Speaker 2: Yes, look, they need they are just gonna they are going to keep running through outfielders on like one year twelve million dollars contracts, even if they have to trade for them, because that's what he has left.
Speaker 1: Let's go to around the horn. There was a trade. There was has trade deadline season kicked off.
Speaker 2: I mean they had to do this trade before the draft.
Speaker 1: Yes, they did. Jacob Gonzales went and Jake Isaerc went from the White Sox to the Pirates. For you've put Jay Woods, I don't know Jake.
Speaker 3: I think it's Jake Woods. I think it's Brandonizer.
Speaker 1: I confused it. You're right, it is. I apologize Brandon iSER and Jake Woods and perhaps most importantly certainly listed ahead of Woods on the trade graphic pick thirty four. The Pirates, I think went from the Pirates to.
Speaker 2: The Pirates wanted to get rid of this pick because it costs them money and they could trade it. They can't trade there are the ones, so they have to you know, actually pay out there.
Speaker 1: But Bob Notting is running a tight ship over there.
Speaker 2: So the interesting thing to be for this is there was a lot of reporting around, like a lot of teams were interested in this pick, as you should be. It gives you a ton of it.
Speaker 1: Gives you a pretty high pick and the pool to work.
Speaker 2: Work right, you know, like the Mets specifically. I think there's some reporting that Brooks Raley was that's like it's a rental. That's a very good reliever, better than better than Brandon wind But like this became this Speci Civic deal. Construction immediately struck me as we just want years of control, like we want to we want to make the team better. Like this is ostensibly a bytray, but we want years of control.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 5: I think it's a patch, right, and it's like you can patch like I think they said he's gonna play shortstop, which is even more is just an awful hasn't he been like a first base?
Speaker 2: Yes, and not a particularly good one. He was drafted as a shortstop like nobody. I don't think anyone coming out of college thought he would stick long term as a shortstop. Maybe at third base, but yes, he has mostly been a first baseman.
Speaker 1: I think that's it. That's a rough.
Speaker 2: It's six years of Jacob Gonzalez's thing. Great, but that's like, yeah, is he going to make our one? I don't know. But like instead of maximizing the return, they tried to maximize the years of control.
Speaker 1: And that's the other thing is like you mentioned Brooks really like, yeah, they could really use Brooks Relly. Yes, I don't know what else I I don't know. I guess it's I. I liked this trade a lot for Chicago.
Speaker 2: Yes is how and the arm they got from the pirates suit is an uninteresting on top of everything else.
Speaker 1: And it was thirty four land and Tony or.
Speaker 2: Was it the Yes, it was Landed. I got all now it was land and tell.
Speaker 1: Me, but couldn't.
Speaker 2: Uh, what's There were a lot of weird blood line picks in the stret.
Speaker 1: A lot of blood line picks. J. J. Weatherholt gets an extension.
Speaker 2: Do you have the terms at eight one twelve point five?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 2: I think you So it's good again.
Speaker 1: With slot in right among around these ones.
Speaker 2: This is like the benchmark if you're trying to expense.
Speaker 1: It's below Connor Griffin.
Speaker 2: Griffin was a better Was that.
Speaker 1: One forty?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I think it was nine? Yeah, you know this is but yeah, you have the framework now like for McGonagall signed one, didn't.
Speaker 1: He McGonagall did sign one?
Speaker 2: I think around around Yeah, so again that you're starting to see the the range of the if you want to if you want to extend a j ewing, you know, it's probably gonna be like eight one oh five, right, Like we're getting into the there's a framework now for these kinds of.
Speaker 1: Is agent Ewan in that, I mean, probably a little less maybe, right.
Speaker 2: I mean I think if he was if he was, look, if you're si in the miners to be a top ten prospect in mid season, so we'd be around whether the whole was Obviously he's done in the majors, which is even I'm.
Speaker 1: Sorry McGonagall was eight one fifty.
Speaker 2: Just look, there's gonna be different risk tolerance for teams and players. You know, the agents are gonna do what the agents are going to do. They're going to do work and like get what they can get. But yeah, like I think I was.
Speaker 1: Gonna say, I thought this was a pretty nice deal for the Cardinals at those he's been good in the majors usually that.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, he is a little bit older. He's already twenty three, which I think right says him to started this too. But they're also you know, they've got his age twenty four through thirty one seasons, which is and like you know, he's say, he's a good second baseman, but he's not like super athletics, so you really don't want to This is like exactly the years you would want of JJ weatherhold I suspect.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I thought, I thought it was a nice deal for for Saint Louis and I you know, you understand, Yeah, Weatherholds had some some hamstring injuries, various things, so like you you understand.
Speaker 2: He did get a big bonus. But yeah, it's still I guess that's hard to turn down on. Look, if he's really good, like he's hitting free agency again at thirty after his age thirty one season, it's not like he's older. But it's not like he can't get a five year million.
Speaker 1: Dollars in a war based incentives.
Speaker 2: How he's gonna win. I don't think. I wonder if Fanel Rookie of the Year is one of them, because he's gonna win it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I assume it is. I'm sure, I'm sure it's not all of it, right, but I assume.
Speaker 2: There's a Okay, Yeah, In.
Speaker 1: Very different news, the Dusan Bears, Patrick, do you can guess I put this.
Speaker 3: On the dog yeah, this is so this is a continuation of the Jake Cave note from a couple of weeks ago. So the j Cave recently signed the minor minor league deal with the Rays because he was not allowed to go back to the KBO, because the Dusan Bears decided they needed upgrade from j Cave to Dansk Cameron because j Cave wanted like a two hundred thousand dollars raised or something. And so now Duson has now cut Dask Cameron, who was still hitting well, but I think he had started off hot and a cool down, and so the Bears currently do not have a foreign hitter. They've also cut one of their pictures. I can't remember which one it was, Chris Flexen. They cut Chris Flexen who was not doing well as the Bears are currently in fifth place, and fifth place in the KBO is technically a playoff position, but not.
Speaker 2: Cut first one then the stop ladder or whatever.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's the first one step ladder. You know, Frank teams have never won the KBO, so they're trying to make a push and so they have decided desperation is the way to go. So yeah, I just it's just just a little drama. I'm curious as to who is gonna go to do something at this point a certain point, you know, for players who are it's a.
Speaker 6: Little here, it's a little different editors, because hitters, it hasn't been a pipeline for like remaking oneself as a hitters for pictures.
Speaker 2: But Jared Young had some quotes recently. They asked him to change anything in Korea and he's like, no, not really like us. I saw like a broader variety of pitches and speeds and things like that, but like I would like like Eric Thames, actually I think changed some stuff over there.
Speaker 3: But yeah, yeah, I can imagine like if you wanted to try and just go a swing only and to see like can I can I make this work against?
Speaker 2: But then Ryan ward come on down. I guess you actually playing in the Major, like.
Speaker 1: You trying more? You should probably, but you're Ryan ward types like Ryan Warden in five.
Speaker 3: Years maybe yeah, but then you know so so I'm like at a certain point, like who wants to play for a team that's so clearly willing to just completely And like.
Speaker 2: The other thing is like you can go to the Mexican League and be closer to home, and like you're maybe going to make as much, but it's going to be close enough, and it's going to be a little more.
Speaker 3: In the same time zone.
Speaker 2: Yeah. That Oh, I didn't even realize. Oh jeez, I was gonna say they could go get Adeline Rodriguez. I saw he was playing again, but he's already on Kia.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're doing well. So ye.
Speaker 1: Elsewhere. Jacob de Graham might need any Alston. He's got a hip injury.
Speaker 2: It's yeah, it sounds like for sure.
Speaker 1: There are some quotes he talks to the doctor. They said, basically, you can't really damage it more. It's about pain tolerance.
Speaker 2: We'll see they might give him. This is like a good time to give him a star making and just like you can like skip a start or something like that and you push him back or whatever.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Uh, the A's have placed Nick Kurtz and Zach Geloff on the aisle. Uh. Geoff has elbow inflammation, Kurtz has a thumb spring and UH Kyle Kyle Harrison has left forearm tightness. Uh placed on the aisle. He said he already had a There was already an update that he it was already feeling better. But yeah, never never what you want to see.
Speaker 2: This is just another I think reminder that much like the draft, you don't want to call it on trades too early.
Speaker 3: M Like.
Speaker 2: Urban and Siegler have both been like pretty good this year. Like I'm not saying no, that's fair.
Speaker 1: Kyle Harrison was very good.
Speaker 2: He was, but like he also has left foearm.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, we'll see. I don't know why my my immediate reaction was to go to to jo Farry Rodriguez, but that was the twin Priester jail I got. I just I got my Milwaukee Boston trades. Confused. That takes us to her game.
Speaker 3: All right, so we're doing a ka it's been a month. Uh we'll start off with a fun one. The gray Eagle, no great Eagle, the gray Eagle. I will say, I've never heard this nickname before. It is a famous player.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like I thinking, like older guy, Well you one would think.
Speaker 2: Ed Sprague is an Ed Sprague.
Speaker 3: I know that's quite a name to pull out.
Speaker 2: I think of him as I get older, like I just think of it. Maybe this when I started watching Ed Sprague, he was already older.
Speaker 3: But uh, no is Tris Speaker maybe the most anonymous great player in baseball.
Speaker 2: M I.
Speaker 1: The thing about Tris Speaker is like, you know, one of the one the inner Circle Hall of Fame guy, no nickname other than the Great, the Great, which is because he apparently had prematurely great Yeah.
Speaker 2: Billy Hamilton isn't even the most famous Billy Hamilton.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, it's just it's just weird Tris Speaker, Like there isn't I always feel this way about Stan Mussel, And then I look at his numbers and like, oh yeah, I and Stan Musill like hit three thirty with four home I something.
Speaker 1: Tris Speaker had. Speakers thing was hits in a season record for some period.
Speaker 2: It was George Sisler.
Speaker 1: Well I know it was Sisler, but I thought maybe not.
Speaker 2: I don't know, I might have been a Speaker before Sisler in like nineteen twenty right, yeah.
Speaker 3: Uh, you know, Speaker won one Hall you know, one one MVP. He led the league in more three times, like he was just basically the star before Ruth. You know, in nineteen sixteen he hit three eighty six four seventy five h two and led the league in all three categories. You know, like a legitimately great, great, great player. I think he still has the all time lead for doubles. That the thing he is the most doubles in baseball history.
Speaker 2: The gray Eagle on his plaque.
Speaker 3: I don't know. Let's take a look.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: In the meantime, while I'm looking at that, you're number what next? One? Wonder Hamster.
Speaker 2: Read before.
Speaker 3: I It does not, by the way says say that.
Speaker 1: But the thing about, the thing about, no, the thing think about.
Speaker 3: I could see.
Speaker 2: I would have been shocked if he said yes.
Speaker 1: No, I don't.
Speaker 2: I did not think you were right.
Speaker 1: I know that I've heard this before.
Speaker 3: H Yeah. He was also called the professional.
Speaker 2: Hitter that Shannon Stewart.
Speaker 3: Uh. And finally, his third nickname in case of emergency use, The answer is Matt Stairs.
Speaker 1: Stairs.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, he was a pinch hitter. Yeah sure, yeah, one of my favorite. Yeah. No, and Matt Stairs just you know, people say his name is Wonderhamster because he looks like a hamster. And I looked at a picture of him, like, that's a that is a regular you know, big dude.
Speaker 1: Wonder Wonder Hamster should be a name. A thick running back Maurice Jones Drew. Yeah, wonder Hamster.
Speaker 3: If trist Speaker's nickname is the gray Eagle, then that insinuates that he only got that nickname once his hair started graying, which you know if it was early, surely yeah, but like how early?
Speaker 1: Right? Like he probably was thirty, right, Like if you gray at thirty people in their twenties doesn't happen.
Speaker 3: Like, I don't know when did When did trist Speakers say? I just think like if it started at thirty, then like he spent the first decade of his career not having an name of all. Maybe people just thought Tris was enough of a nickname. Is name that were like just Tris, like you know what you're talking about. Maybe it was just one of those first name guys, right, I don't know. It still seems weird, all right. Next one, number three, the Brat.
Speaker 2: I've heard this one too.
Speaker 3: He was also called muggsy and stinky. To give you a sense of who this baseball player.
Speaker 1: Was, No, yeah, I had my mind went to obviously we're in the wrong area of alphabet, but my mind went to Adam Eaton, who was spanky. I definitely feel like I've heard the Bratt before.
Speaker 2: Ed Sprague. They're gonna keep going with it.
Speaker 3: I need to go look at what Ed Sprague's actual name was.
Speaker 7: All right, So no it is any stinky? Sure, yep, that makes a lot of sense, It does, allright. Number four Pops.
Speaker 2: I feel like a lot of I had did more than one here, but I don't have to think of like that.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: This one assigned because of his leadership role on his team and played for one team for a long time and also a Hall of famers. M and Spragg did not have a nickname. They showed up in the Baseball reference.
Speaker 1: Let me, let me, I got nothing today, Okay.
Speaker 3: Uh, somebody the only person the only thing that came up is someone said me and my brother used to call Ed Sprague rally killer. Pops is really startle?
Speaker 1: Yeah up, yeah, absolutely all right.
Speaker 3: Number five Bigfoot, also known by his friends in high school as Scantron, which I did not I was not able to find out why his nickname was Scantron, but I love it. Final nickname Mike John Carlo scanning correct. Craig's on the board.
Speaker 2: This tough.
Speaker 1: This's tough going floating right now.
Speaker 3: It should get a little easier with some of them not all of them. The next one La grand orange.
Speaker 2: A rusty stop.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's correct, nicely done.
Speaker 3: Also one of my favorite nicknames. A lot of a lot of my favorite nicknames in this list, some really good ones. The grand Range is just fantastic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, even it's not that's not not even right in French. I don't feel like.
Speaker 3: No, it's not. Next one, the Old Professor.
Speaker 1: And Sprague the Old Professor, professor per oh, yeah, oh this is okay. I've what's upsetting is I've definitely read this in like a Stephen Goldman.
Speaker 3: You absolutely have possibly.
Speaker 2: The Casey ste.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The thing is I was just like, oh, it's it's and then I blank nt Yeah.
Speaker 3: All right, three to go. Jeff's up by one. Next one, Art vandal A, No, I think this is going to be Art vandal A. Uh.
Speaker 1: I wanted to say Wan Constanza, but we're in the wrong part of the alphabet.
Speaker 2: We're also producing Alexander too.
Speaker 3: Well, right, and and that's the thing. I think more and more we're going to see more nicknames based on this. I believe that this basically is a nickname based on this player's alter ego when not playing baseball, when doing other activities. He uses this alias, and I think that we're going to see this more with like, as more baseball players are on Twitch and and doing other things, their tags on those things will become their nicknames.
Speaker 2: I have no idea that, Okay.
Speaker 3: This is Spencer Strider. Yeah, it's it's the it's the name he uses when he plays poker and.
Speaker 1: And who wants to be my latex salesman.
Speaker 3: It's a Seinfeld reference. I don't know. Okay, next one chicken strip correct, Creig ties it up. I knew that. I knew after after having so many Casey stengles, I was like, Oh, this one's gonna be a rough one for cragging. Give him ross.
Speaker 1: I should have gotten stangled. That's that was the final one. This is the this is the one.
Speaker 3: Uh. Doctor Strange Glove. Oh, one of the most famous nicknames baseball history.
Speaker 1: Has other nicknames, but they are all essentially They're all essentially linked to the doctor Strange Glove nickname. He was also called the Man with the Iron glove, stone fingers. Uh, the uh, the don of first basemen of.
Speaker 2: His keithan Ron, especially Keith because.
Speaker 1: It feels like it was before my time.
Speaker 3: It is before your time. But it's it's a nickname that his you know, it's lived on I mean Doctor Strangelove is from the nineteen sixties, so yes, it's before your time.
Speaker 1: I'm just saying I don't Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he played in the nineteen sixties.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I got no chance.
Speaker 3: All right, Well it is Dick Stewart.
Speaker 1: I don't know who that is.
Speaker 3: He has. Dick Stewart was the first baseman. He played for a bunch of teams, but most famously with the the Pirates early in his career. He made one All Star game, was down ballot MDP three times. Yeah, he was bad. He was bad. He had in basically, let's see eleven games he had negative twelve defensive.
Speaker 1: War That's really bad. It's hard to do, especially as a first basement, as a first baseman. Yeah, you have to make it. Well, does that I mean that factors in the penalty?
Speaker 3: I guess yeah, No, it doesn't factor in the penalty, doesn't. Well, wait me, I have to look. I can't remember if b REF does it that way or not. I think b REF does work it in the penalty for that, So okay, still bad, very bad.
Speaker 1: All right, Well I will I will take a salvage tie. I'm not you know, no pride. I will absolutely take it. Thank you for the game, Patrick, Thank you to our listeners for joining us on another episode of five and Dive brought to you by the Baseball Perspectives podcast Network. You can get in touch with the show at five and Dive at Baseball perspectives dot com. We are wherever you get your podcasts. Search for Baseball Perspectives Podcast Network and we'll be in that feed. And if you've been waiting for the pod to be over your time, isn't no actile rainwa east of