Speaker 1: And now your host for Marongo Casino Dodgers on Deck, Tam Chase.
Speaker 2: Hi, everybody, and welcome in two Morongo Casino Dodgers on Deck on this hot Sunday afternoon here in southern California. You're a Los Angeles Rodgers, sixty four and forty seven on this season, first place atop the NL West with a four and a half game lead going into play today. This road trip hasn't gone exactly how they had hoped, but they can finish on a positive note with a win today and a series win over the Oakland A's River.
Speaker 3: Ryan on the mound for the Dodgers.
Speaker 2: First pitch from the Oakland Coliseum is set for one oh seven Between then and now. We got a lot to get to here on Marongo Casino Dodgers on Deck, you're gonna hear from the Dodger manager Dave Roberts. We're gonna dive deeper into this pitching matchup. David Vasse will join us throughout the show. He'll go one on one in forty five minutes with first base coach Clayton mccullos. Shortly, we'll check it with Kirsten Watson live on the field. There in Oakland, and in just a few minutes we'll head out to the gallupin Motors broadcast with Rick Monday and Tim never Well. Last night in Oakland, the Dodgers scored early and then late they scored often. Jack Flaherty got the start, his first in a Dodger uniform, and the Pride of Burbank went six innings, no runs, five hits, struck out, seven walked, one had traffic on the base. Pats got himself out of a jam in the sixth inning. He was fantastic. Just what the Dodgers needed was some length from their starting pitching, and they got some instant offense last night.
Speaker 3: And the third starting with Gavin Lux.
Speaker 4: Spence out of the stretch and Lux lines up the left. That's up a set. Vigio scores around third. Hernandez he comes to the play in scores and Gavin Lux comes through with a two out, two run single, but Dodgers strike first.
Speaker 1: HiT's two nothing.
Speaker 2: Gavin Lux with the two run double single there and the third as the Dodgers took a two to nothing lead. It remained that way until the top half of the eighth inning, when Key k Hernandez added to the Dodger lead.
Speaker 4: Little head lamp. Maybe there's a shutdown the left field line.
Speaker 1: That's a base hit. It's gonna roll to the corner.
Speaker 4: Hayward around second, He's gonna touch third. He's being waved home kick day into second. Here's the relay head first Night's take taking the extra base. Keith de Hernandez. He's a third and the Dodgers now with a three to nothing lead.
Speaker 2: Key k Hernandez with the RBI double. He would then score on the Andy Pajz RBI single between the old five to six hole into left field is. The Dodgers scored two in the top half of the eighth to take a four to nothing lead.
Speaker 3: In the ninth inning, they busted it wide open.
Speaker 2: The Dodgers put a sixth spot on the board of the top half of the ninth Rosario and infield single, Will Smith in RBI single, Jason Hayward in RBI single.
Speaker 3: Key k Hernandez again with an RBI single.
Speaker 2: Jason Hayward scored on a wild pitch a modern a single tour center. As the Dodgers scored six runs at the top of the ninth inning, the Dodgers bullpen would take a seat because a ten run lead meant Keith a Hernandez would get the ninth inning. He gave up a hit, only needed ten pitches to retire the side. As the Dodgers go on and shut out the Oakland A's last night ten to nothing, Jack Flaherty gets to win his first in the Dodger uniform. The Dodgers get the win, snapping their three game losing streak. They're now sixty four and forty seven in this afternoon, they look to make it two in a row and end this road trip with a series win against the A's. River Ryan on the mount, first pitch of one oh seven and with more. Let's head up to the Galloping Motors broadcast booth as we welcome in Rick Monday.
Speaker 4: Tim Neffert, Guys, thanks Tim, Well, it's the last dance at the Coliseum for the Dodgers and the A's. As the Dodgers try to win this series. Last night a ten to nothing shutout win. Lots of stuff happened in that ball game, certainly show hey old Tani a big night for him, three stolen bases, a couple of hits. He is now a thirty thirty man. Just the third Dodger ever to have thirty home runs thirty stolen bases in the regular season. But he's not done yet, mo. I mean, he is on pace to be a forty to forty guy. And if shoe Ozni becomes a forty to forty man, you got to think the MVP goes along with that.
Speaker 5: I would think it was going to be coupled with it, no question about that. It's got to stay healthy. And then you start to look at what he's been able to do. He puts a whole different tone to the other dugout we're talking about the opposing team. We can see it. I mean, it builds up in the stands. We see that. Also, people don't leave their seats when there's a chance that he is going to come on to bat. So the other teams they've been on alert. But the other part, too, is is that Dave Roberts is saying, just a couple of days ago, you know, the Dodgers cannot rely every night on every advantage on shoe Hey o'toni. It has to be a cast of other players. And that's exactly what took place with an explosion in the ninth inning in the last night's ball game, six runs on seven hits. They just kept the line moving at home plate.
Speaker 4: And Otani got to hit twice in that ending, so got to the plate twice, got to hit two bases and score to run. I'm at Rosario is in the starting lineup for the first time since he has rejoined the Dodgers. Kevin Kiermeyer, isn't it for the second time since being traded?
Speaker 5: Yeah, and I think you start to look at it. You acquired these players that you have to have them playing. Dave Roberson a couple of days ago said, well, were Rosario? You know they got him to face left handed pitching. Well, he's here and he's available. Worked out earlier on the field, Neither one of the teams took batting practice, at least on the field. Everything was indoors in the cages, but Rosaria, along with a couple of other Dodger infielders, were taking some ground bows earlier today to try and get ready for this contest.
Speaker 4: Dodgers two and five on the road trip, looking to win back to back games on the road. Since the twentieth and twenty first of June, it's been a little while the road has not necessarily been the Dodgers from the last month or so. But things look like they might be turning around and reinforcements appear to be on the way.
Speaker 5: And maybe not that easy. You know, a lot of people take it for granted. Well, the Ages, they're thirteen games out of first place America League Western Division, they're in fifth place. However, you look since July tenth for the A's, they had the best record in the American League. They've gone twelve and seven in that particular area, and they expect, I mean, here's the deal. They know the Dodgers are in town. We keep saying it is perceived as the goliath of baseball in the A's. They were up forward in the first game and the Dodgers exploded last night. So see if they can win this series by a victory today.
Speaker 4: Overcast skies over the Coliseum today. Temperatures are very comfortable, a little cool even, and a couple of rain drops were falling on the field a little while ago, but that's not uncommon in this part of the Bay. But the Dodgers at sixty four and forty seven, four and a half up on the San Diego Padres and the West take on the A's. A's forty six and sixty six. They're thirteen backing in last place in the American League West. River ryan'll make his third major league start, Dave Roberts saying he thinks he'll go deep in the ball game today, and Oswaldo Bideaux will pitch for the A's. He is two and two on the season. So we count you out of the first pitch in Oakland. It's the A's and the Dodgers for the final time in this stadium.
Speaker 2: Tim all right, thank you guys, as we count you down to first pitch, Dodger fans, no better time to get your game, Dave Neil on than right now. It's Shaky's Pizza Parlor. What are your Shaky's Pizza Chicken at Mojo's right now at Shaky's dot Com. Coming up here on Dodgers on deckle Here from the manager, Dave Roberts. David vet Say checks in. Throughout the show, we'll dive deeper into this pitching matchup with River Ryan taking the mound. But up next your o Tani Rewine, and we'll head to the field and visit with sports and at LA's Kirsten Watson live from.
Speaker 3: The Coliseum in Oakland.
Speaker 2: So it leads up to first pitch on this Sunday Dodgers and A's thanks for being with us. I'm Tim Katsi's Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: It is Laurento Casino, Dodgers on, Dodgers on Deck, y'all on the official home of La Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 2: Dodgers and A's River Ryan on the Mount in the series finale from Oakland. First pitching to coliseum is coming up at one oh seven.
Speaker 1: This is the Otani free wide and Muller ready to deliver.
Speaker 4: Swinging the ground ball up the middle. It's a base hit, second hit of the game, one hundred and thirty first hit of the season for Otani. Atani leads it first oh one count to Taskar Hernandez. There goes Otani swinging a miss throw down. Not there, it's in the center field. Stolen base number thirty and show hey, O'tani is a thirty thirty man, thirty three home runs, thirty stolen bases, and only Otani, Ral Mondes, and Matt Kemp have accomplished the feat in Dodger history. Ready for the next offer, runners go swinging a miss throw down to third and Otani is safe. He's stolen his thirty first base and his third of the ballgame.
Speaker 2: Show Hey Otani one a night too. It was two or for five at the plate last night's walk on base three times, but also last night had a couple of stolen bases. To now include him in the thirty thirty Club with the Los Angeles Dodgers, just the fourth time in Dodger history that has happened. Third player to do it role Montessy did it and Matt Kemp did it as well. Welcome to the thirty thirty Club Show, Hey O Tani Otani reryand bought to you by eto Inn's Oyocha, Japan's number one green tea, the tea that show Hey Otani loves and drinks If he'll be a local Diso stores Amazon at eto In dot com.
Speaker 3: That's it o e n dot Com.
Speaker 1: This is Kirston's Corner with Kirston Losson.
Speaker 2: Hey Kirson now joins us from the field at the Coliseum in Oakland. One final time in this series is one final time ever, as the A's will be moving to Sacramento and then off to Las Vegas. This is a big one for the Dodgers, Kirston, and they're sending River Ryan out to the mound and a guy who can hopefully piggyback what Jack Flaherty did yesterday.
Speaker 6: And he's coming off of two really solid outings. He saw his major league debut back in Los Angeles. He picked up his first career win against the Astros, and so he is someone in that game against the Astros, Dave Roberts holds the head of the game. You know they were going to give him a little bit more leashed. The bullpen usage was really high at the time, and so for him to perform in which he did, only giving up one run, and it really wasn't even kind of due to him. It was just he had left the runner on before the bullpen had come in. So he is someone who has continued to impress and see like how he just handled situations. So for today's outing, Dave Roberts swift saying, you know, the leash is relatively in a similar spot. You know, they do want him to go deeper into the game, but they're also being very mindful that these last two outings have been the most he's ever thrown, especially were in general, but especially at the professional level, So depending on the stress of the innings, will be very mindful of that. But the hope is that he can get deep into this game as well.
Speaker 2: For the Dodgers win in this series, it's big because right around the corner they come home for a homestand and includes a three game series against the Phillies tomorrow.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so's They've had a tough stretch ahead of them and the standings are getting close, and so they have to be very mindful of Obviously, the focus on the players is it's one day at a time, but they also know the importance of winning this series.
Speaker 1: This road trip.
Speaker 6: Has you know, not been the best one. I think we can be pretty transparent with that, and so if they can win this series, just leave on a positive note, but also leaving setting the tone heading into the Phillies. The hope is that Freddie Freeman will be returning to the team. Dave said he wasn't sure it's going to be on Monday or maybe on Tuesday. He's going to leave that decision up to Freddy and how he's feeling, and also just that his son Maximus is doing so But good news is that we should be seeing Freddie back with the team. They've got quite the pitching matchup. Dave Roberts was saying, it's going to be Clayton Kershaw for Game one, Tyler glasnow for Game two, and then Gavin Stone will be Game three of the series. So you know they're they're throwing the guys out there, and the guys know that they got beat up in Philadelphia, so they're gonna have to turn things around and get things going backing up in Los Angeles against.
Speaker 3: The silly Yeah, all starts today.
Speaker 2: It's gonna win against the A's and head back home for this homestand Kirsten appreciate it. Brought to you by Cars for Kids. The easiest way to get ready to roll the car. Donate today and your car could be picked up tomorrow.
Speaker 3: Is that easy?
Speaker 2: Donate now with Carsfourkids dot Org. That's Cars with a K. Still to come here on Dodgers on Deck will dive deeper into this pitching matchup. David vatsegoes one on one with Dodger first base coach Clayton McCullough.
Speaker 3: But up next, we'll get you an.
Speaker 2: Injury report and we'll hear from the manager himself, Dave Roberts. It's the Dodgers and A's one final time for the Coliseum in Oakland. I'm Tim Katson. This is Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is Morongo Cassino Dodgers Hunt on your home for LA Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 2: Bron Go Casino Dodgers on deck. He rolls on on this Sunday afternoon as we leads up to first pitch. Moreno Casino Resort and Spa a grand slam for good times. Dodgers in Oakland for the final time ever to take on the a's first pitch, coming up at one O seven.
Speaker 1: It's the LA Dodger Injury Report.
Speaker 2: Presented by UCLA Healthy Official Medical partner of the Los Angeles Dodgers. Chris Taylor on the iel at the left, groin straight, Miguel Rojas on the I L with the right Forum Titaness Mookie Bets on the IL. Yoshinolgamamoto is throwing any three a twenty pitch bullpen session yesterday.
Speaker 3: He is progressing. He said to throw again on Tuesday.
Speaker 2: Walker Buehler is gonna have one more minor league rehab assignment in Triple A Michael Grove is the closest Dodger injured player to returning and helping out this Dodger's bullpen. Max Montsey, Bruce dar Gratterol Ryan Brazier, all on this sixty day IL schedule to come off the DL sometime later on this month. All right, let's head back up to Oakland checking out the Dodgers skipper.
Speaker 3: Anything else, Dave?
Speaker 4: Do you think questions for Dave?
Speaker 7: Dave?
Speaker 1: Can you just describe Dave?
Speaker 8: Can you talk about the pressure.
Speaker 1: In the dugouts with Dave Roberts.
Speaker 7: I expect good things, just to continue to get better. Uh, obviously the last one in Houston was really good. We pushed him more than he's ever been pushed. With that, He's got a couple extra days to recover. He feels good. So aggressive ball club seems like they're aggressive to the fastball. It's gonna be fun. They've never seen them. And I think that the stuff certainly plays, and our bullpen is loaded. So I feel good about River going you know, somewhat deep tonight or today, and you know, try to win a series.
Speaker 6: Considering just how you saw him handle that against the Ashows. Is that something you can see just moving forward with him, just giving him a little bit more leash in these outings.
Speaker 1: I think so you know again is.
Speaker 7: The first the first two major league outings is the most he's ever been pushed stressed professionally. So I'm still in the gathering information phase with River and so it's a it's a start to start kind of a situation to read and react. But I thought the first two he's really handled himself.
Speaker 9: Well.
Speaker 2: All right, there's Dave Roberts down the dugout brought to you by Service Titan. Dave Roberts is a Titan in his own right, and he's got a play it before his team hits the field. You need one for your growing contracting business too. Let's Service Titan help you implement it. Learn more Service Titan dot Com. Won't we continue here on Dodgers on Deck. We'll check out what David Vassay is.
Speaker 3: We are leading you up to the first pitch from Oakland.
Speaker 2: One final time. The A's are moving to Sacramento, then Las Vegas, hopefully Dodgers final time ever in the coliseum in Oakland. Who we leads up to first pitch of one O seven. I'm Tim Kates's Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is Marongo Casino, Dodgers on Deck on your home for the Blue All Season.
Speaker 2: Law Dodgers and A's from Oakland River.
Speaker 8: Ryan on the mound.
Speaker 2: First pitch set for one O seven the umpiring crew for today's game, brought to our friends at Fred Loyer in Insurance celebrating fifty years while providing reliable and affordable car insurance for you and your family.
Speaker 1: Joining Tim Kats on Dodgers on Deck.
Speaker 10: I accept everybody for who they are.
Speaker 1: This is Dodger insider David Bass.
Speaker 2: And David now joins us from the Coliseum in Oakland, final game of this three game set.
Speaker 3: But damn, let's go back to last night. What a performance for Jack Flaherty.
Speaker 10: I thought the most impressive part of his outing last night was the sixth inning. He gets into a basis loaded jam, nobody out. You know, Calvin Bigio doesn't make a play at first base. There's a flare to left field. He walks the batter, but Mark Preyer goes out there, talks to him, and Dave Roberts trusts that he can get through it, and he did, and he was able to pick up his first win as a Dodger in his Dodger debut.
Speaker 11: Anytime you get a chance to help the team win, that's that's kind of all that matters. It's the important part of it. I'll take the time tonight and kind of trying to soak it all in and just you know, I'm just excited to be here and have a chance to help this team.
Speaker 10: And also Tim, his mom and family and friends made the flight up to Oakland, the short flight up here, so they were here to enjoy his Dodger debut, which was a huge success.
Speaker 2: David has driven by Ford. If there's one thing we like, it's choices. Of course, find yours with the Ford F one to fifty gas hybridder, all electric, tough. This mart can only be called the f one fifty. Last night, not only about Jack Flaerty, but how about showy Otani. David part of the thirty thirty club.
Speaker 10: Now, yeah, I was tweeting about it before the game on the bus on the way to the stadium. You look at it, He's two stolen bases away from being a thirty thirty player, and he actually became the quickest to do it since Alex Rodriguez back in nineteen ninety eight, and Otani gets to the thirty thirty mark in one hundred and eleven games, which is remarkable and becomes the first Dodgers since Matt Kemp in twenty eleven to hit thirty home runs and steal thirty bases. The only other player outside of Matt Camp and sho Hey Otani to do that with the Dodgers was Raoul Mandsi. He did it twice nineteen ninety seven and nineteen ninety nine. And how about this tim, He's not stopping here. A lot more games to go for Otani, and he's on pace for forty nine home runs in forty one stolen bases. He would become just the sixth player in baseball history to be a forty forty player and the first Dodger ever to do it. So he really is accomplishing a lot of things he has never accomplished before in his major league career.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's pretty remarkable. Only five players in the history of the game are part of that forty forty club. Today, Dave final game at the Coliseum of this three game serious Bud, probably the final game ever for the Dodgers on the East Bay.
Speaker 10: Yeah, that's a certainty, Tim this is the last time the Dodgers will be playing here at the Oakland Coliseum. The A's are moving to Sacramento. That's baseball purgatory for them right now before they decide where they're going after that. But this is it here at the Oakland Coliseum. And look, there's a lot of great memories here. Our very own Rick Monday hit the first home run as an athletic player here at this ballpark. And also the Dodgers play two World Series in this ballpark, the nineteen seventy four World Series and of course Game five of the nineteen eighty eight World Series where Oral Herscheiser struck out Tony Phillips for the last out of that championship, and the Dodgers celebrated here in Oakland. And it's amazing that the clubhouse the Dodgers are currently using in this series is the same clubhouse the eighty eight Dodgers celebrated in. So that just tells you that this is in a time standstill in this ballpark.
Speaker 3: That's pretty embarrassing, Dave, I appreciate it. Check back you with you in just a little bit.
Speaker 2: Dodgers fans and hands are listening and experience by downloading the iHeartRadio m and listening in HD. It's all power by LA Care Health Plan serving all Angelino's la care dot Org. Coming up here on Dodgers on Decula. Here from Dodger first base coach Clayton McCall will dive deeper into this pinching matchup today with River Ryan on the mount. But up next you Dodgers Magical Moments Lean you up to Dodgers and A's one final time from the Coliseum in Oakland. First pitch of one oh seven. I'm Tim Katson. This is Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: As we were saying, this is Marongo Casino Dodgers one on the official home of LA Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 2: It's a Dodgers and the A's River Ryan on the mound. First pitch in this series finale is coming up at one o seven.
Speaker 1: It's time for the Hawfey Magical Moment Ditch Magical Magical presented by Hawpey Hot Jobs.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 2: The Dodgers played two series in Oakland nineteen seventy four nineteen eighty eight. We go back to Game five of the nineteen eighty eight World Series. The Dodgers, of course, got that World Series going thanks to Kirk Gibson's home running. Game one, the Dodgers a three to one series lead. They send the great Oral Hersheiser out there for Game five, and what did he do? Pitch a complete game and the Dodgers.
Speaker 9: Won, and Tony Phillips at the count three and zero, Hersheiser has come back. He has a three and two. The fans getting on their feet, mc wig wags a sign out, Persizer wines and the three to two pitch to game out.
Speaker 12: In t over, the Dodgers on the world champion.
Speaker 1: The Dodgers for sure on the pail.
Speaker 9: Well, Hersheiser.
Speaker 12: Race back then, Who's picked up as much as he possibly could, whatever strength that he had, And Hersheiser shrinks up Tony Phillips after gone three balls in those strikes. The Dodgers on the field, the presses there they are the champions of the world.
Speaker 6: And what a year.
Speaker 2: The late great Don Drysdale on the call as the Dodgers win the nineteen eighty eight World Series on the field there at the Coliseum in Oakland today one final time, the Dodgers playing in that stadium. This Hofey magical moment brought to you by Hoffey hot Dogs, a SOKW treasurer for over one hundred years. Visit hoffeybrand dot com to find out where you can purchase cra delicious Haffey hot Dogs. When we continue here on Dodgers on Deck, check back yil Rick Monday for walking up the first pitch Dodgers and A's I'm Tim Kates's Los Angeles Dodgers Audio.
Speaker 1: New It's Laurento Casino, Dodgers on Dodgers on Deck, y'all on the official home of LA Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 2: It's the Dodgers and as from Oakland, one final time, River Ryan on the Mountain, Dodgers fans. Start your future at the California Community College. Financial aid is there to help you and available to help you with tuition, books and sometimes even the rent.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's time to take that next big step.
Speaker 2: Classes can fill up quickly because classes are gonna start for the fall session coming up here shortly. In role today and I can go to college dot com.
Speaker 1: And now joined by David Basse, here's LA Dodgers broadcaster and World Series Champion Dodger Rick Monday.
Speaker 10: Rick the final Game the Dodgers will play here at the Oakland Coliseum. We talked about how you were the first Athletics player to hit a home run in this ballpark. Do you have any mixed emotions or are you gonna smile on your way out?
Speaker 5: No, I will smile. I actually smiled coming in on one of the buses early this morning. And here's why. You know, there has been great history that has been created in this stadium to begin with, and you start to look at some of the numbers. We talked about it yesterday during the ballgame. This was an area that was controlled by the San Francisco Giants, understandably, you know, and the Giants have had great success, but you start to look at it. You know, the A's will appear in nineteen sixty eight since they have come here. If you look at comparisons the A's and Giants, and Dwayne McDonald looked this up for US. A's had been at postseason appearances twenty one times, the Giants twelve, and it's six by Oakland, five by San Francisco. World Series titles four by the A's, three by the Giants. MVPs Giants had ten and the A's have seven. Cy Young Awards a's five San Francisco Giant. I answer three. So if you look at those numbers, the a's and the time that they had been here, and they had been in Oakland longer than they were in Kansas City, which was twelve years, and longer than they were in Philadelphia, which was fifty three years, So you know, you start to look at the a's. I think a lot of people kind of overlooked their accomplishments collectively and individually in the time that they were here.
Speaker 10: As far as my generation goes, Rick, we'll always remember the eighty eight Dodgers winning the World Series in this ballpark. And obviously some of your former teammates in nineteen seventy four got a taste of the World Series.
Speaker 8: Yeah, they did.
Speaker 5: And I think of one play in particular were Joe Ferguson throughout. I think it was sound bangal at home plate and Ferguson came over and took a ball that maybe Jimmy Winn, laying in center field may have had a better chance to make the throw. However, Winn was having an arm problem with his elbow. Joe Ferguson, while primarily a catcher, also had a a rocket for an arm and he threw out at the time at very big play at home plate.
Speaker 10: Rick, you've told me this story about the interaction you had with Ernie Banks behind a batting cage, and I never pictured it being here at this ballpark, but you said, that's where this took.
Speaker 5: Place in an exhibition game, David, and I think it was before we actually paid the very first game in sixty eight when the A's moved from Kansas City here opened the Roads Series, and then they came back and played against Baltimore. But before then, there was an exhibition games memory serves correct against the Cubs, and I remember Ernie Banks coming up behind the batting gage. I was hitting and the A's were hitting, and Ernie came over the introduce himself to me. I said, mister Banks said, no turning, and he said, let me ask you a question, and only the way that Ernie could talk. He goes, let me ask you a question. Do you get mad at the baseball or do you get mad at the pitcher? And I'm thinking, and I turned to answer the question, and Ernie walked away before I even had a chance to answer the question. Now we go fast forward I'm traded from the A's to the Cubs and Ernie Banks then is a.
Speaker 8: First base coach.
Speaker 5: Leo de Roscher is the manager for the Chicago Cubs, and we're in spring training and Ernie is talking about baseball and I said, hey er, let me ask you a question. I said, you're not going to remember this. I said, a number of years ago in Oakland exhibition game, you came over and he asked me a question, but you didn't stick around for the answer. And he goes, what was a question? I said, Well, you asked me, do you get mad at the baseball? Do you get mad at the picture? I said, But then you walked away. He goes, well, I'm not walking away. Now what's your answer. I said, well, you get mad at the baseball. He goes, that's the right answer. He says, do you know why?
Speaker 8: And what not?
Speaker 5: Really why? He says, it's the same baseball. It's different pictures. And in retrospect, I look back, I faced in nineteen years, five hundred and two different pictures. It was the same baseball.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 8: I was wow.
Speaker 10: That conversation took place and it started right here in Oakland. Rick, thanks a lot for the memories, and I'm sure we'll hear more during the game. Rick Monday and Tim Neverard on the call for the final Dodger game here at the Oakland Coliseum. We'll send it back to you in the studio.
Speaker 3: Tim, all right, thanks a lot, DV, Thank you MO.
Speaker 2: Dodgers Baseball is brought to you by Speedy Cash, official sponsor of every LA Weekend. Find out more at Speedy Cash dot Comer stop in LA Area Speedy Cash Store. Still to come here on Dodgers on Deck, we'll get you a preview of this pitching matchup. Rick, we'll be back with Tim Neverard and they'll get you those keys to the game right before first pitch. But up next we go high and tight with Dodger first base coach Clayton McCollough. Dodgers as one final time from the Coliseum in Oakland. I'm Tim Katsus Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is Morongo Cassino Dodgers Hunt game on your home for LA Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 2: Dodgers and As from Oakland River Ryan as Valdolbido the pitching match up. We'll time deeper to those numbers coming up in just a couple of minutes. Dodgers Baseball is presented by Children's Hospital. When you need the very best care for your child, but a Children's Hospital Los Angeles right number one in California for pediatric care. Find the right doctor c h l A dot Org.
Speaker 1: David, and now what will likely be vest a fielding insults from a Dodger player.
Speaker 2: It's an engagement of endearment, this high end tight Well.
Speaker 10: We're joined right now by one of the Dodger coaches, one of the best, if not the best, at first base, and that's Clayton McCullough. Clayton, thanks a lot for the time. Great to see the beard really really coming into form here in Oakland.
Speaker 13: Oh, David, thank you for having me as always. And then the beard. I'm not so sure about how much longer are you gonna keep this thing, but I'm glad you like it.
Speaker 10: Hey, I love the synergy that you have with Dino Evil. How much do you guys have to be on the same page.
Speaker 8: It's very important.
Speaker 13: I mean, Dino's making some you know, really tough in the moment decisions, you know, as the play is happening. I'm you know, much more on kind of the front end of things with passing on information, you know, situational things to guys. So, you know, knowing what we just spent a lot of time together and I think it started. He's helped me so much going back, you know, four years now with just you know, the game itself and what he's seeing and reading, what he's thinking. So I can just kind of look over there at him and you know, we have some little signs and he'll give me and just kind of a heads up, you know, where his thought process is. And then you know, in turn, is my job to help prepare the guys that are there for what potentially might come about.
Speaker 10: Baseball's changed in a lot of ways. One of them is the third base coach is no longer really the point man for guys to steal from first base. That's you how much preparation goes into it.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I mean there's a lot of It's a lot of work on the front end. Looking at video, you're trying to pick up maybe some team tendencies or individual tendencies with the type of pickoffs, their delivery, times of the play, if there's anything that you might pick up on a pitcher that's different from his pickoff and delivery you throw in there.
Speaker 8: Certainly the catcher's ability as well.
Speaker 13: You know your own our own personnel and you know where they might fit in the spectrum of like those times and and then you you know, you got sitchas of the game that play a factor. So there's a lot of time spent on the computer, you know, going into a series, during a series, just trying to be as well informed and prepared as I can be to pass along information to guys.
Speaker 10: Show Hey, Otani has stolen more bases this season than he ever has.
Speaker 13: What do you credit that to? The biggest thing is then coming in this year. I think show Hey realized he was gonna be an offensive player only this year, and I can only imagine how tough it is for him to try.
Speaker 8: To juggle the pitching the hitting. And now you know you have the.
Speaker 13: Ability to steal bases, but your your schedule is you know, as such, where you're pitching that day, so you're probably not as aggressive or hey, I'm pitching tomorrow, or I just pitched yesterday. And this year, I think he came into spring training with a you know, pretty intent focus on wanting that this year to maybe be something that he could push the envelope a little bit more. And he spent a ton of time with Travis Smith and our strength and conditioning guys working on his running mechanics and his acceleration. And then as we've you know, spent more time together, we'll just watch video and we'll share things back and forth. You know, during the game, he might see something out there or I see something, and so you know, we're just trying to again, I'm just trying to as best prepare him or equip him with the information. And then you know, I think he's got a good idea now of what his you know, range and capabilities are and how he's you know, how he's feeling, and you know, he's done a great job.
Speaker 10: It seems like there's trust that needed to be built, and you guys have built that since day one of spring training.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I mean, we started talking early in spring and at least at first was just hey, here's here's.
Speaker 8: How I've gone about it. In the past.
Speaker 13: I would showed him information I had on you know, teams that we've played, and this is kind of how I, you know, will go about it watching video together.
Speaker 8: And then also he watches a ton.
Speaker 13: Of video, and there's been many times this year where he's come to me, you know, and said, hey, what do you do you see this? Or then I'm like, you know what, wow, show I didn't really I was I was fixated on something else.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 13: It's nice to have another set of eyes that you know, is looking at the full picture, and I'm like, hey, the most important thing is what you're seeing. You know, you're the one that has to go out there and apply this in the game. So if you see it and feel good about it, like, let's go with it.
Speaker 10: Dodgers first base coach Clayton McCullough is a big reason in the preparation for Otani to be able to thrive. Thanks a lot for the time, and we'll catch up with you when we get back home.
Speaker 8: All right, thanks a lot for having me David there.
Speaker 10: He is the best first base coach.
Speaker 4: Clayton McCullough.
Speaker 10: We'll send it back to you in the studio, Tim.
Speaker 3: All right, Thanks a lot, guys.
Speaker 2: Dodgers Baseball brought to you by Shaky's Pizza Parlor, the official pizza partner of the Dodgers audio broadcast. When it's game day, it's group day and Shaky's dot com leading you up to first pitch on this Sunday, Dodgers and A's coming up.
Speaker 3: We'll break down this pitching matchup. Don't go anywhere.
Speaker 2: I'm Tim Kase's Los Angeles Dodgers audio note.
Speaker 1: This is Morongo Casino Dodgers on deck on your home for the Blue All.
Speaker 2: Season Law Dodgers and A's from the Coliseum in Oaklint, final game of this three game series.
Speaker 3: First pitch coming up at one O seven.
Speaker 1: And now before the Dodgers hit the dining we look at the pitching matchup.
Speaker 2: Present it by your Southern California Toyota Dealers, turn your trail dominating off roading dreams into a reality and a twenty twenty four Tacoma See your Toyota dealer today.
Speaker 3: They make it easy.
Speaker 2: Osvaldo Bido on the mound two and two with a five erra, twenty eight year old right handed of the Dominican Republic. Second year in the Big leagues, last year with the Pirates. He's been a reliever, he's been an opener, he's been a starter. He's one and two of the nine to fifty three era in three starts. He's one to zero with a one seventy two r and six relief appearances last time out three and two third innings, seven runs, six hits, six strikeouts, four walks in the loss of the Angels. Dodgers saw him last year at Dodgers Stadium on July fifth, when he was with the Pirates. He win four innings in a no decision. River Ryan goes for the Dodgers one to oh with a sub one RRA. Twenty five year old rookie right hander acquired from the Padres in twenty twenty two, making his third start in the big leagues.
Speaker 3: Made his major.
Speaker 2: League debut against the Giants last time out in Houston, five and two third innings, one run, two hits, eight strikeouts in getting the victory against the Astros. Dodgers Baseball is brought to you by Etoans Oyocha, Japan's number one green tea and the tea that showey Otani Loves Andre, available your local Diso stores, Amazon and eto in dot Com. That's it, t O e n dot Com Dodgers. As we're fifteen minutes away from first pitch, keys in the game. Our next I'm Tim Kasi's Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: As we were saying, this is Marongo Casino Dodgers on Jack on the official home of La Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 2: Dodgers as River ryanos Vadelbido. The pitching matchup. First pitch coming up at one oh seven. Dodgers fans Enhansh're listening experience to Dodger games by downloading the iHeartRadio app and listening in HD. It's all powered by Lacare Health Plan serving all Angelinos lacare dot org. Before first pitch, head back out to the booth Rick Monday, Tim Never guys.
Speaker 4: Tim, thank you again as we get you ready for this one of the A's and the Dodgers against Still overcast here in Oakland, unlike yesterday with bright blue skies of perfect evening for baseball last night, but here today a little bit on the chill side. As the Dodgers and A's wrapped this one up. River Ryan one to zero in an ERA of zero point eight two. Makes his third major league start. He allowed just two runs, one of them earned, in the eleven innings pitched. Over his first two major league starts. River Ryan has been nothing short of impressive. After two starts.
Speaker 5: Yeah, He's gone into the sixth inding in both of those starts. Last Sunday in Houston against the Astros, the winning pitcher five and two thirds, one run on only two hints. He did walk three batters, but he had eight strikeouts. And just looking back at that ballgame and looking at the scorebook, he threw in critical situations very good curve bows and especially with two strikes. And we'll see if he has that in his back pocket again today.
Speaker 1: And what really.
Speaker 4: Impresses you about his makeup and his presence on the mountain.
Speaker 5: There are some guys that look like they are a duck out of water. That's not the case with River Ryan. He looks very comfortable on the mound and why not if he can control that breaking balls he has. The change up is also a pitch that he moves in. And that fastball, it's not bad. They have giddy up about ninety eight miles an hour, and that's exactly what he takes the mound with.
Speaker 4: As Waldo Bideaux at two and two as the opposition started here today, he gave up seven runs over three and two thirds innings in his last start Sunday against the Angels. He's coming off a real rough one. Dodgers have played the A's twenty nine times in this stadium, twice in the World Series, once in the seventy four and again in nineteen eighty eight. This will be the last time the Dodgers in the A's meet at the Oakland Coliseum.
Speaker 2: Jim all Right, Dodgers start today with a four and a half game leader, with the Padres, who are going to be in action coming up this afternoon. Diamondbacks right behind them there in Pittsburgh taking on the Pirates five to four lead in the eighth. Giants have already won here they come. They've won seven of their last ten, only nine games back in the division. Dodgers looking to keep pace at the win today, win this series in Oakland, and I'm home to start a big homestand tomorrow nights. I'll be back after the game with all the festive and he's first pitches Necks enjoy it.
Speaker 3: I'm tim Kates has
Speaker 2: Been wrong because he know Dodgers on Tech on the Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network