Speaker 1: Welcome to the Great Adventurers of Old Time Radio from Boise, Idaho. This is your host, Adam Graham. In a moment, we're going to bring you this week's episode of Counterspot. But first I want to encourage you. If you're enjoying the podcast, please follow us using your favorite podcast software. And I want to encourage you that today's program is brought you in part by the financial support of our listeners. You can support the show on a one time basis at support dot Great Detectives dot net and become one of our ongoing Patreon supporters for as little last two dollars per month at Patreon dot Great Detectives dot nit. But now, from September eighth, nineteen forty nine, here is the courageous Come on.
Speaker 2: This is David Harding. Because of the importance to night's Counterspy case. Following our dramatization, there will be a special message from the Vice President of the United States of interest to all Americans.
Speaker 3: That's the Cola p E P s I. That's yours smartist, Cola Bye. That's the Cola Presents counter Spy Washington calling David Hunting.
Speaker 4: Counterspy Washington calling David hunting.
Speaker 2: Counterspy, Harding, Counterspy Calling Washington.
Speaker 5: United States, counter Spy, especially appointet to investigate and combatant.
Speaker 4: The enemies of all countries, both at home and abroad.
Speaker 3: The night the case of a courageous come on another Counterspy report to the American People, brought to you each Tuesday and Thursday by Pepsicola Pepsi Cola hit the spot.
Speaker 6: Two full glasses.
Speaker 7: That's a lot.
Speaker 3: That's right. You heard what they said. Two full glasses of sparkling Pepsi from one big twelve ounce bottle. You're getting an extra glass bowl. I want a delicious glass bowl. The most refreshing, delightful cola that ever tickled your taste. You can't top Pepsi's haangy flavor. And that big, big bottle saves you money, goes twice as far. Pepsi's America is big, big favorite and America's biggest cola value. So why take leads when Pepsi is bead? Whenever you reach for refreshment, remember why.
Speaker 4: Take class when Pepsi's bed?
Speaker 3: And now to Counterspy, it is a scene truly out of the Old West. A dance and gambling hall crowded with hard riding, fast shooting men, enjoying themselves but at any moment ready for action. Suddenly, the swinging doors fly, opening A tall, languid cow polk stands framed in them. The crowd quiets down as the cowpoke ambles to the bar and stops in front of a well dressed, shifty eyed man.
Speaker 7: Well, dude, it's sundown and I'm still in town.
Speaker 8: You don't take advice, easy, Steve Morgan.
Speaker 7: I'm choosy about whose advice I take. Dude, I don't like yours. I give you five seconds to drow.
Speaker 8: Well, look, Steve, you know.
Speaker 3: Okay, Okay, that's that cut. Cut, camera will print that take.
Speaker 6: All right, boys, pair of the SUTs. We can do the fight scene next.
Speaker 3: Oh Gary, Gary, well how did it go? I'm a great director?
Speaker 9: Okay, well, swell great strong josstuff.
Speaker 7: Thanks.
Speaker 2: You've got a visitor, Gary, Doctor Hobart Whalen. This is Gary Marlow Steve Morgan in this picture we're shooting.
Speaker 6: Well, how do you do, mister Marlow. It's quite a thrill meeting you in person after seeing you in so many films. Thank you, doctor May I present my assistant James Dover.
Speaker 7: Hello, mister Dover. Oh sorry, mister Mow. I can shake hands with my left Get used to it after being without a writer arm a couple of years. I'm sorry I didn't notice. Okay, everyone spots the leg, Chris.
Speaker 6: Mister Marlow is somewhere we could talk privately.
Speaker 7: Why my dressing room? Just follow me.
Speaker 6: To get to the point, mister Marlowe, I'm heading the Institute for Disabled Workers and we're embarking on a large fundraising campaign.
Speaker 7: Well, maybe i'd better save your time. I'm doctor Whalen. All my charitable contributions are handled by my business man. We're not looking for charity, mister Marlow. Why is it every time you guys see somebody without an arm or a leg, you think of ten cuts and peck boy, I'm sorry, I thought sure it. I know you thought we're looking for a handhot charity. Huh did you ever take any mister Marlow? It sticks in your craw.
Speaker 6: Jimmy, you you better wait outside.
Speaker 7: I'm sorry, doctor, believe me, mister Dover, I didn't mean Morlow. I fly off the handle to Lae. Wait outside, Jimmy. I'll finish our business with mister Marlow. That I'm sorry again. I'm always being sorry, doctor, I didn't mean to hurt him.
Speaker 6: No one does, you see, mister marlow That's what my institute is for, to educate the public to the disabled people to accept a man minus an arm and a leg, like Jimmy for instance, as a man, not a.
Speaker 7: Gripment, Doctor whalan any way I can help you, I will.
Speaker 6: Thank you, mister Marlow. You can by a contribution, not of your money, but of your time.
Speaker 7: Yes.
Speaker 6: Month from now we're holding a benefit in New York City. It's to raise money to set up a chain of industrial and liberal arts schools for the disabled so they can become self employed.
Speaker 7: A month from now.
Speaker 6: You said yes, and I like you the famous Western film style to be our master's ceremonies. We'll have a full program of stars and celebrities.
Speaker 7: Well, I think I can do it, doctor Whalen. I'll have declared it with my agent, my studio, but that you'd be simple.
Speaker 6: Splendid mister Marlowe. Thanks for your cooperation. I'll have my secretary, Miss Vicky Brandt call you for a final confirmation. Good day, Sir.
Speaker 8: David Harding, United States Counter Spires, Washington, from United States and Screen Actors' Union, pursuant to Tax Bureau memorandum listens to notify you that members of our union are being solicited to appear at a benefit performance for the Institute for the Disabled doctor Hobot Whalen, Director. We are notifying our members they may appear unless you notify us to the contrary herting.
Speaker 3: With telegram just came in.
Speaker 6: Quinn, I see, Peter, Oh yes, what's it all about. Oh, that's right.
Speaker 2: You were out of town on the horn case when this memorandum issued.
Speaker 6: I don't know what it refers to.
Speaker 2: Charity benefit performances. The tax Bureau has been having trouble with them.
Speaker 7: Oh oh well.
Speaker 2: In some instances, the tax regulations allow entertainers to deduct contributions of their services to charity, just as if they had donated. Case, but there were a number of benefits last year that were nothing but highly organized racket.
Speaker 7: Oh I get it.
Speaker 9: The tax people wouldn't allow the deductions to.
Speaker 2: Play in those benefits. That's right, So we've worked out an arrangement with them. In the various entertainers union, they notify us of scheduled benefits, we make a routine investigation the sponsors the benefits know about it. Not if we give them a clean bill of health, and if we don't, no benefit unless they want to promote one for themselves in the penitentiary.
Speaker 9: Fine, or once we get a chance to stop a crime before it's committed.
Speaker 6: It's about it.
Speaker 2: So put this institute in this doctor Hobart Whalen through a routine investigation, then we can forget it, unless, of course, it turns out to be not routine.
Speaker 10: Yes, mister mollow Well, this is doctor Whalen's secretary. I'll give him your message just as soon as he gets back here to the office, and.
Speaker 11: We'll see you in New York in a month.
Speaker 7: Goodbye, the Great Gary Marlow.
Speaker 10: Yes, Jimmy, he says, you'll m see the benefit performer.
Speaker 11: You're not very enthusiastic.
Speaker 7: About it, are you, Jimmy Sorr.
Speaker 6: I think you've got the bluesty. I have splendid you. Who's splended you?
Speaker 11: What is it, doctor Whalen?
Speaker 6: Well, I've just talked to the management of Colisim Hall in New York by transcoontinental phone. They're going to let us have the hall for our benefit, for just expenses. They're giving up their usual profits.
Speaker 11: Wonderful, doctor, isn't it Jimmy.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Greed, Well, what's the matter.
Speaker 11: Jimmy's a little down in the dumps today.
Speaker 7: Oh doctor, it's just that I haven't been doing anything, just hanging around, acting like a pitch to soften people up. I walk in, they took a look at me, and they go woozy and well. I can't stand the pity in their eyes when they see what the war did to me.
Speaker 6: I know how you feel. By That's why your job is the toughest of all. Yeah, because you've got to stand that pity, the misplaced pity of a lot of well meaning people. You've got to do that so we can break the ground and educate them to know that you I don't need pity. We've got to show people that a boy like you is well able to take care of himself, show them in a dramatic manner that they'll never forget. Maybe you're right back, of course. Now, I just made train reservations to New York. You get down the station, get those tickets on the double, and don't tell me that you can't do that with one leg.
Speaker 7: I know you better, Okay, doctor Levin. Sorry, I'm gonna tell.
Speaker 6: You, Vicky, I think I set the boy straight, no question about it. Funny thing is every word I said was true.
Speaker 11: And you didn't mean a single one.
Speaker 6: The important thing is he thinks I did.
Speaker 11: Yeah, he does.
Speaker 6: Now, what's the matter with.
Speaker 7: You, Vicky?
Speaker 11: Him?
Speaker 6: Him? You falling for that half man?
Speaker 11: No, I'm working this con game with you. That doesn't mean I have to like it.
Speaker 6: But on this sudden I.
Speaker 10: Just got a metal picture of Jimmy when he finds out that you and I are phony.
Speaker 6: It was a heartbroken why but tears were streaming down his face, touching sight.
Speaker 11: Doc, what do you use for a heart?
Speaker 6: A pump composed of animal tissue like every other human being. Don't flatter yourself, all right, I'll change that like every other animal in the jungle. You call civilization, Doc, the survival of the fittest. The strong eat the weak. I'm strong, the gay. The kid's a sucker. In fact, he's a cripple. Doesn't change that, simply makes him better bait to lure on the healthy suckers.
Speaker 11: Okay, Doc, no lectures.
Speaker 6: Whatever you say, Vicky, just don't turn into a sucker yourself.
Speaker 11: It's a little late for me to change sides.
Speaker 6: I guess that's right, So snap out of it, VICKI two more days we head for New York.
Speaker 11: Who is it?
Speaker 10: Jimmy sure, Jimmy sure, the door's not locked.
Speaker 7: I thought you'd being a club cardrop.
Speaker 11: My own club car, right here in my own confinement.
Speaker 7: Oh well, I see you. Do you get trained sick? Is that? Why?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 11: I just like a drink now and then? Nothing wrong with that, is it?
Speaker 6: Of course?
Speaker 7: Not if you want me to go?
Speaker 11: Why should I want you to go? Sit down? Look at the scene right it goes by.
Speaker 7: I've just been talking to doctor Whaler.
Speaker 11: Doctor Whaling that calls for another drink?
Speaker 6: You want one, Vicky.
Speaker 7: Don't you think you've had enough?
Speaker 11: I've had enough or something.
Speaker 7: But it's not this, okay? What's your looking at the country side? Oh makes me kind of ashamed of myself.
Speaker 11: You're shamed?
Speaker 7: Look at it, Vicky, wide and rolling those sweet fields, pretty in the sun. I think it's pretty.
Speaker 11: The doctor's right, the darkness, Oh yes, doctor.
Speaker 7: Wade, Vicky, Vicky, I've decided something. This country is big enough for everything, everybody. The mountains we went through, the plains will be rolling over soon. There's a room in it for every man, even a guy like me. A hat.
Speaker 11: Sorry the doctor that huh.
Speaker 7: Yeah, But I added something in my own, Vicky. This country is big, but it needs me. I'm alive. I've got something to give it, me and a million other men and women like me. Trouble is it kind of slow to wake up to the fact. Sort of stupid, But I'm going to help smartness that you are sure, Vicky, and you too.
Speaker 11: You know something, Jimmy. You know who's stupid?
Speaker 6: Vicky?
Speaker 7: Who you know?
Speaker 11: You're stupid? Stupid, stupid and a sucker.
Speaker 6: Oh what a sucker.
Speaker 11: You're not a strong one.
Speaker 10: You're not like the doc.
Speaker 11: You're not like me, strong one.
Speaker 6: That's me. What do you say the doc?
Speaker 10: The doc you couldn't even give you a prescription to buy a bandage and.
Speaker 7: A drug store to.
Speaker 6: Tell you a beautiful story about a rat?
Speaker 11: Pretty rat? You think I'm pretty, don't you?
Speaker 7: Vicky? Makes sense?
Speaker 11: I wish I didn't. I wish I didn't, but I do.
Speaker 10: Jimmy, our organization is a phony, and the doc is a phony, and I'm a phone.
Speaker 11: Why do I say it? Down? Off that crutch and I'll tell you.
Speaker 7: Operator I'm in a railroad station. I only have eight minutes. I don't know the number, but I've got to talk to Countess by headquarters in Washington, d C. Mister David Hardy, Mister.
Speaker 4: Peters, call mister Harding right away. Mister Peters, call mister Harding right away.
Speaker 2: Yes, Peters, has anything come in on the investigation of that benefit.
Speaker 3: For the disabled?
Speaker 9: You said it was just routine.
Speaker 2: There's not routine anymore. Bring whatever you've got to my office. We've got to go to work fast.
Speaker 3: Back to counterspy and just a moment. But first, Tetsi cola.
Speaker 11: Hit the spot and two moxasples.
Speaker 2: That's a lot lots more value, a lot more.
Speaker 7: Dest I take less?
Speaker 6: Where Pepsi's best?
Speaker 3: More and more among fellows and girls, among mothers and dads. You hear that same and sensible question, Why take less when pepsi is bet no budget, no allowance ever had a better friend than tangy sparkling pepsicola. Because one big twelve out pepsi bottle gives you two delicious drinks. That's twice as much. Tangy take twice as much delicious pepsi to go just twice as far. That's why more and more families say, why take let when Pepsi's bet? Yes, family is like yours than mine. Family's all over America they're all saying, why take lets when pepsi is bet.
Speaker 4: Pepsicola, pepsy spoty, taste terrific when you're hot, more and better.
Speaker 3: Than the rest? Why take less when Pepsi's best today tomorrow? Always get America's biggest cola value. Take home a carton of six, big big pepsi bottle, Insist on pepsi at the store, and say pepsi at the fountain, say pepsi, app a stamp, Say pepsi whenever you reach for a refreshment. Remember why take less when pepsi? And now back to Countress by He Brents are in the corridor of a large New York hotel. Jimmy raises his good arm to knock on the door of Room Prio two, then parted, sure you wanted to true with the city.
Speaker 6: I'm sure.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, mister.
Speaker 6: Hardy, that's right, mister dover come in.
Speaker 10: Now.
Speaker 7: Uh this is miss Vicky Brent. I told you about it.
Speaker 6: Won't you sit down? Miss Brent? Oh?
Speaker 11: Yeah, thank you?
Speaker 2: Why not in the bag, Miss Brand. You don't look very comfortable person on the edge of that chair.
Speaker 11: I'm a little nervous.
Speaker 2: N's all right, this is my assistant, mister Peters, Ms Brent, mister Dover. V How mister Dover, let's listen to you. What about this phony benefit?
Speaker 7: You called me about it? Well, I told you about doctor Whalen and my partner it sketchally. Yes.
Speaker 2: Well we've already investigated Whale and he has a long record as a confidence man and a chiseling promoter.
Speaker 7: Well, I think, Vicky, I mean Miss Brent can give you a better picture of the set up than I can Alms.
Speaker 10: Bran First, mister Harding, I want to get one thing straight. Yes, Jimmy's got a little blind spot about me. This isn't the first fake deal.
Speaker 11: Liveing in the doctor didn't con me into what I knew what it was all about from the start.
Speaker 2: I'm glad you said that, Miss Brand. It's a good beginning. What we've been looking you up too.
Speaker 9: Peter Victoria, Brent and Is Barry and Is Brandon indicted for racetrack swindle, suspended sentence and died a suspect and Firth left probation.
Speaker 11: That's more, I couldn't have hidden it if I wanted to.
Speaker 2: Well, the important thing is you didn't want to. Now, will you tell your story?
Speaker 10: Well, Doc Whalon got the idea to promote this benefit for disabled people.
Speaker 11: He called me in on the deal, and I went for it.
Speaker 10: Jimmy was hired by the doc, and the Doc gave him a song and dance about useful work and what a great project it was, make the people aware of the ableness of the disabled.
Speaker 7: And I went for it, hook line and sink. No reason. You shouldn't miss the dollan. It's a great idea.
Speaker 6: I'm keeping that in mind. Go ahead, miss bran well with.
Speaker 11: Jimmy to go around with them and soften them up. The doc promoted half the big names in Hollywood. They well say it.
Speaker 7: They'd take one look at me and drown in their own pity. I'm sorry, And I was supposed to pull the same stunt with the Broadway in Radio Stars, only I'm not supposed to know that's what it is.
Speaker 2: We'll come back to that, Jimmy, go on, miss brand.
Speaker 10: The docs set up a phony outfit, the Institute for the Disabled, chartered in some state out west.
Speaker 2: Yes, with himself as the sole trustee for the institute.
Speaker 7: As we've checked that, that's right.
Speaker 10: He was going to send a check for the pro to the benefit to the institute, all right, and be there himself to receive it.
Speaker 9: He expected to get away with something that wrong.
Speaker 10: No, mister Peters, but he expected to be out of the country by the time it was found out.
Speaker 6: Well, how far has the organization gone?
Speaker 10: All the way tickets advertising, He's even got a colisseum Hall lined up.
Speaker 11: Now he just wants to line up some more names.
Speaker 9: I notice he's scaled the prices on the tickets from ten dollars up to one thousand.
Speaker 7: There's no pocket were anything else.
Speaker 11: M'sprin No, that's it. I'm glad it's finished.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I guess I'm kind of sorry. Well, at least somebody was interested in guys like me finding out that disabled guys can do lots of jobs as well as they did before they were cracked up.
Speaker 11: Jimmy, don't see that.
Speaker 7: You know, it's funny. The only guy interested was a crook, and now he won't be around.
Speaker 6: Jimmy.
Speaker 2: I think he maybe for a little while.
Speaker 11: But I don't get it.
Speaker 2: Mister Harmer when we make an erastus for the good of society. But I'm not sure this case is as simple as that.
Speaker 7: I don't understand, mister Hardy.
Speaker 2: Well, I may be sticking my neck out, but if we plan the how and when of doctor Whalen's arrest, we'd be doing a lot more for society than we would by picking him up.
Speaker 7: Right now, how's that?
Speaker 6: Sut him?
Speaker 2: I've got an idea that might work if Jimmy and VICKI will cooperate.
Speaker 7: Oh, anything you say, mister Harney, there will be some risk Vicky's.
Speaker 11: Gone along with Is this far, Jimmy, I'll go all the way.
Speaker 2: Good, I'll make yourself comfortable. I'll tell you my plan.
Speaker 11: She would have crawled, Jimmy. I never figured they turn out like this. The coliseum's jams.
Speaker 7: Yeah, but I'm wondering, where's doctor Wallen? Call?
Speaker 11: We hear you? Stop worrying.
Speaker 7: Well, mister Hardy's to swell about this. I'd hate for him to get in a jam. Say you don't think Doc Whale's wise, do you, Jimmy?
Speaker 11: You don't think?
Speaker 7: Oh no, no, Dad, I know you couldn't. But I what I think about you? Well, A guy like me, shouldn't.
Speaker 11: Jimmy, how do you know I couldn't crush out jim.
Speaker 7: Oh, Vicky? Oh, oh, there's Doc. I guess he just came in.
Speaker 11: I'm looking so happy.
Speaker 7: Hello Jimmy and vickyed splendid crowds flot well were you're down too? He was getting worried just checking up at the box office. Jimmy, don't you think it's time Gary Marlow started the program? Yeah, sure, Doc, I'll tell you he's right over there, say miss Marlow. Oh yes, Jimmy, you want me to begin out right away? Oh and uh, mister Marlow, don't forget that first. Guess he'll He'll be kind of a surprise for everybody.
Speaker 3: How could I forget him?
Speaker 7: Well, here we go. Good luck, mister Morrow going to start, Jimmy, Yeah, yeah, right away. That's women to Let's sit here close and enjoyed the show.
Speaker 6: We put a lot of work in it.
Speaker 11: We've all put a lot of work in doctor.
Speaker 4: Thank you, Thank you, ladies and gentlemen, thank you.
Speaker 7: Before we begin the show, there's a special guest i'd like to introduce right now, as he has to leave shortly on urgent business. In fact, this gentleman is always on urgent business leaders and gentlemen. I'm proud to present the Chief of the United States taters fis mister David.
Speaker 6: Harden Carter, Jimmy. How did this happen?
Speaker 7: Special guest, Doctor Ellen, I thought it was great with Kedemy doesn't make many public appearances.
Speaker 6: Oh yes, great.
Speaker 4: Thank you, thank you, thank you, mister Marlowe. Later on, I want to ask you about a trade secret in those western builds of yours.
Speaker 7: How do you get.
Speaker 4: Fifty to one hundred shots out of one six shooter revolver? The counter spies could youse a.
Speaker 7: Trick like that.
Speaker 4: But seriously, ladies and gentlemen, I am proud to be here for the purpose of this benefits is a major importance to America. It's wonderful that more and more of us realize that the disabled can take their places as useful citizens. This occasion is to see that they get their chance, not as a charity, but as a rank. And now will the organizers of this great event come over here, both of you, Doctor Hobart Whalen, I listed Hardy and Jimmy Dormer. Now I have a surprise for the audience, an actual arrest here on the platform, ladies and gentlemen. Blendid as its affair is, it has one black mark. It was organized by a confidence man, a swindler, a crunch this man here, doctor Hobart whaleen, you mean I want you.
Speaker 1: To arrest me?
Speaker 7: I'm gonna go bother you.
Speaker 4: This crush streaming gores pretty good or a supposedly disabled man, wasn't it. Now while assistant Harry Peters help mister Dover remove the prisoner, I'll tell you the audience why we did not cancel this benefit week to go, even though we knew the promoter with a crook. We didn't stop it because the cause is close to our hearts. The counters by the employ many so called disabled men and women. They hold key positions in our code division, communications and others. Though we allow this benefit to go on, you may rest assured that is the suggestion of the President's Committee on National Employees is physically handicapped week. Your money will go to a legitimate organization interested in its problem. And now here is Gary Marlowe with the rest of the show.
Speaker 7: Golly, mister Hardy, that was wonderful, wasn't it? Say it?
Speaker 6: Certainly was hows whalem, he's unhappy.
Speaker 9: There's two of our ragents are taking donaua field office to be booked.
Speaker 6: Well, then that winds up things there.
Speaker 11: Jimmy, except for me, mister Hardy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what about Vicky, mister Hardy, Well, she'll have to testify against the doctor.
Speaker 9: Of course, But well that means jail as the material witness.
Speaker 2: Jail of course, if someone would accept responsibility, Vicky could be parole in his custody.
Speaker 6: Oh, off to that, mister Hardy. How Jimmy, you don't know, Vicky.
Speaker 7: We've stuck together this long. I can stand it a little longer as you can, okay, mister Hardy.
Speaker 6: Okay, Jimmy.
Speaker 2: In fact, from the sound of things, I'd say very okay. And by the way, when you find time, get in touch with me about becoming a regular counter by will you, Jimmy. Ladies and gentlemen, It's an honor to present the following message, especially prepared for this counters by a broadcast by the Honorable Alvin W. Barklay, Vice President of the United States.
Speaker 9: Today's disabled veterans and handicapped workers have the full support of the United States government in their quest for suitable employment opportunities. The President of the United States has established a special civilian committee to lend assistance in discharging this national responsibility of providing work for qualified handicapped men and women. The response by businessmen, industrialists, and labor officials has been highly gratifying, but we must intensify our efforts so that a war wound or an industrial accident is not a one way ticket to the sideline. I ask your continued interest in those handicapped workers presently employed, and added opportunities for those seeking work. I urge all Americans to remember that abilities is much more important than disabilities.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much, mister Vice President. Next week's copy case deals with the teenage terrors who worshiped a heel, the stolen loop that was paid for with a wet handkerchief and hard cash, and the underworld mobster who pulled a switch and continued to be a right guy. Be sure to tune in next Tuesday to.
Speaker 3: The case of a flat push Fagan on Counterspy, and remember when your friends drop in, be generous, but be thrifty too. Serve plenty of delicious pepsicola Pepsi's be twelve house bottle gives you not just one sparkling glassful, but two, get a carton of six and serve twelve delicious drink. Yes, pepsi is America's biggest cola value. You get twice the tangy tape, twice the refreshment, twice the pepsi. So why take lets when pepsi is bet Whenever you reach for refreshment, remember pepsicola pit.
Speaker 6: The bottle, twofold.
Speaker 2: Glasses, patt lot more values, lots more Petsy, I take less when.
Speaker 3: Tonight's counter Spy program, originated in New York, was directed by William M. Sweet, dramatized by Palmer Thompson, and feature Don McLachlan and Mandel Kramer, with music by Jesse Crawford. Counter Spy is a Phillips h LAYD production for Pepsicola. Enjoy some pepsi ice cold Tonight.
Speaker 7: Welcome back.
Speaker 6: Well.
Speaker 1: I have to say that Alvin Barkley has never sounded so much like Mandel Kramer before. This does actually happen in old time radio on occasion where you would have a major public official lot Jed or Hoover wanting to speak to a program's content, but you have an actor go ahead and read a statement from them instead, And this can be to simplify the process and also to provide the best quality that can If the political leader is not able to be in a station at the time of the broadcast, which is usually, it's not going to work out that you have to go through a process to get a recording made and transmitted in time for the broadcast. And on those occasions where I've heard like a pre recorded message put in there is a visible dropping audio quality. Was it makes the politician sound good? I can imagine the unobservant listener at home say, yeah, I thought Berkley might be too old for the job. He's in his seventies, but he certainly said vigorous. Of course, on other programs, like there was an episode of Family Theater where they had someone appearing that way, they noted that the person was impersonated. Now, of course, this is yet another program with a very strong PSA focus and certainly raising a very important issue about the need of disabled veterans to find not just support, but the ability to work with dignity. This has been a message that you can hear across multiple programs in multiple different genres and counterspy was carrying that message. They of course became involved in a somewhat improbable way. While it was true that there were some shady charities running around in the nineteen forty, there was no organization that did preemptive investigations of charitable events. Certainly the crooks would have been aware of this if nothing else, and even if you were, As we have said a few times, imagine that counterspy is the FBI. Imagine JEdgar Hoover getting involved with routine background checks or ANYBI director getting involved in those sort of things. So this is yet another case of counterspy really stretching its jurisdiction in order to tell the story it wanted to tell, which was an important one. All right, Well, now it's time to thank or Patreon supporter of the day, and I want to thank David, Patreon supporter since January twenty nineteen, currently supporting the podcast at the first mate level of seven dollars and fourteen cents more per month. Thanks so much for your support, David. That will do it for today. If you're enjoying the podcast, please follow us using your favorite podcast software and be sure to rate and review the podcast. Wherever you download it from. We will be back next Saturday with another episode of Counterspy. But join us back here on the Great Adventurers of Old Time Radio on Tuesday for Tourzan and on the Great Detectives of Old Time Radio join us on Monday for the Saint. In the meantime, do send your comments to Box thirteen at Great Detectives dot net, follow us on Twitter at Radio Detectors, and check us out on Instagram, Instagram, dot com slash Great Detectives From Boise, Idaho, this is your host, Adam Graham's son and Off