Speaker 1: Paul Rowley didn't last US coach very long cast beating Leeds made us look very wrong. Well, lef C's coach looks ready to cry Leah showing they are never say die. Congrats to the Giants their first win in eleven hoping Scott Duro and Wake's photo man rest easy in Heaven. Welcome to the thirtieth episode of Super League three sixty, a podcast primarily about the top tier of British rugby league and about me and John pretending that really we predicted that Castleford would have beaten Leeds last week.
Speaker 2: How are you, John, I'm good, basically yeah. I think we have to address that. I think I said massive upset and it.
Speaker 1: Was the people, the people that were in the video version of this podcast, which you can get on YouTube, and this is John Davidson. By the way, I didn't. I didn't give him chance to say his name. The people who are seeing the video version has used YouTube. I'll try again. I'll put my teeth in. The people who were seeing who have seen the YouTube version of this podcast last week, they were our AI versions who were predicting the Castleford and Leeds game, weren't they? And sound as well, I'm a coach in Australia who can't talk today obviously, John a journo in the UK. Please read descriptions or all podcasts for more details about us. This is on the Ashley Rugby League podcast, the Rugby League Coach podcast platforms, as well as a Rugby League Coach YouTube too too, and thank you to Rugby League dot Com and John. Honestly it was quite painful literally as the podcast came out last week virtually at the same time I saw the score between Castlefords and Castleford and Leeds because we brought the podcast out a little bit early last week because of the FEARFA World Cup Final, didn't we We did?
Speaker 2: I mean that it was a remark game in the Leeds cast game I think for entertainment value, one of the best games of the season and obviously good that Daniel Levi was not seriously injured and you know he'll make it for recovery. But it was a remarkable game. A lot of drama obviously that will we'll talk about involving Ryan Carr as well. But yeah, fantastic effort from from cast if they've got to, you know, give him a lot of credit for upsetting the leaders of the competition.
Speaker 1: Castleford won thirty six thirty four tries for Castleford from raval aua golden Gary, Gary scored two RC and Ashworth goals from Weaver, who kicked six leads. Thirty four came from two from McDonald, edgele two from Croft, Sivo and Holroyd. I can't believe Graham Holroyd is still playing. He played in the early two thousands. Connor kicked three goals. For those who think that what's Lee talking about, it's called being a joke. And it was a comeback I believe for Castleford to beat Leeds.
Speaker 2: Reah it was. It was a remarkable game. As I said, like LEVI, Leeds were up I think by two. Trithman Danny Levey went down injured and you know it was a long long time he was out cold. I wasn't sure whether it was you know, spine or what. He obviously got stretched from the field, but it was a long time and I think that understandably really affected the Leeds team. And then Cats scored two tries, sort of evenly poised at halftime, but just a real rollercoaster of a game. And I think obviously leads have bounced back to to put a big score on to Bradford and get another win. But probably the biggest ballout was the the Ryan Carr comments that could be heard sideline in the first half. What did it is? It? Is it definitely him who said that. Look, I think there's been a lot of debate about who it is, but I mean I've and Ryan, I know his accent, I know his voice. Yeah, it was just sincly an Australian accent by the sideline or near these sky microphones. I should say, which the RFL have approach Classifford to, you know, is a bit of a please explain. I'm not really sure what their defense is going to be or how they do explain it. But yeah, you can't get a few ways you're you're a coach, Lee and I'm sure you've had in your coaching box whatever. Had a few choice words to say, a few profanities. But no, But I think, but I think the issue is when you can hear them on Sky and you know, maybe one hundred thousand people are watching and it's criticizing a match official. It's not a not a great look for the game, is it.
Speaker 1: There was a problem when there is an accent involved in my rugby league coaching career. I have had an issue where one of my coaches called a player an effort grub. In this case, the words effing cheat have been uttered by allegedly, well, a man sounding Australian that could be Ryan Carr. And anyway, because I did this, sorry, because this was happening in Australia, and person with an Australian accent would fundamentally say the words grub very differently to the way somebody in a Northern English accent would say grub. And I was remonstrating with the person who thought it was me, and I ended up saying words to the effect of I used so dumb to think that it was me because I speak differently, so it's probably not. It was a good case for me that I had an accent, not a good case for Ryan Carr on this occasion. He can't blame Roger from down the road. We had the whole Darby ond Thursday. Who KR beat Hull FC on Thursday?
Speaker 2: We did? Yeah, it was it was quite brutal, full blood of affair and well another loss for LFC. Look that a real dig in this game I've said, don't want to be too harsh on them because it's been a horrific season, but they were in this game right up to the death. But it was just a couple of all moments, particularly from Mima Burrough. You know, Sam Luckiley's in the ruck. And they changed this rule a couple of years ago. I think you remembera lee that you know when hookers would just pass the ball into an opposition player on purpose to get a penalty. So that rule has been changed. You can't do that, and he's done it on purpose. And then later on he stripped the ball out and a tackle I think it was a two men tackle and given a penalty and that was four points. And they were crucial moments for whole KR, who obviously without Mikey lewis under a fair bit of pression themselves. But another Derby win for them. I don't think Willie Peters has lost to Derby in about like the last nine attempts since the first year he joined the club. So yeah, another period of soul searching for Hale, even though it was a better performance than I had dished ot recently.
Speaker 1: It was thirty four twenty to Whole k are at the MKM Stadium home with full FC, whose tries came from Bachelor d Litton What's what's Litton's okay? And Arthur and goals from Hardacre who scored four of them. Whole k Are thirty four came from A. Mo Morgue, Broadbent Burgess Desirea and Morgue got seven. The next game, Wakefield versus Cast. Before we go into the game, they've had a longtime club servant pass away.
Speaker 2: Wakefield. Yeah, really satain news. I'm trying to think what exactly this was. Was it Thursday or Wednesday? But yeah, Jane Williams, someone I who fairly well would always say at Wakefield. Literally saw him at Wakefield at the Huddersfield game maybe three weeks ago or whenever. That was just a lovely guy. Was a former Patron subscriber as well, and always polite have a chat and yeah, just die very very suddenly. I know he's married, two sons and just yeat terrible, terrible news. How old was How old was he? John? I'm not sure exactly his age, but I think he was in his early forties, so not you know, not not old in that sense, but yeah, just a real, real surprise. As I said, I saw him a couple of weeks ago, and just one of those people you know around certain clubs that you see you have a chat with. Yeah, just just a good, good bloke. So my thoughts and condolences go out, you know, for his friends and family. Just a you know, a real shocking loss, and yeah, he'll be he'll be missed.
Speaker 1: Wakefield certainly put on a show for him if he's watching from upstairs. Wakefield fifty two, Castleford fourteen. So for those who can't make sense of why Castleford played twice already in this podcast, it's because we didn't cover the Cattleford the lead game last week, because we recorded early tries for Wakefield Stoughton, far T t. Jowett, Vangnat Johnston got two, Hall and Warms they got two and Jowitt got eight. Goals for Cattleford there fourteen came from Weaver. Gary Garry got two again and Weave kicked a goal. Wakefield was ten six behind and also suffered a red card.
Speaker 2: I believe, yeah, I mean we were. I was complimenting casts not that long ago, and this was back to the bad cast. It seems to be ross and diamonds for them. You know they can they can beat Wigan, they can bet leads and then they have an extra man for I don't know, three quarters of a game and they can say fifty two points, so really bizarre game. In that five seconds in Wakefield score, you know, they get a fluky rebound of a kick and Cast score and a six all and then Stalton gets red guarded and then Wakefield put on forty odd points to absolutely wipe them off the floor. And you know it's not guaranteed when when you when you have an extra man, but for that period of time, you would think the extra work rate and the effort that that the team with twelve men has to do and the fact that the gaps will will open up on the field and if you're smart enough you can you can find that space, you can move the ball. And Wakefield have just absolutely smashed Cast off the park. So yeah, you do wonder about Cast, this this white pole that kind of performances.
Speaker 1: Maybe it's been it's been it's been a year, and I think last week we mentioned that the turnaround might have been quite different from playing on a on a Sunday as well. To back up, I think it was on a Friday, was it not?
Speaker 2: It was, It's a shorter turnaround, but I still think, you know, I know coach has man about it, but look, that's that's the nature of sport. I think you've you structure next week, don't you. You might have less field sessions, you might have longer recovery. But it's a local derby and you've got twelve. You've got thirteen against twelve for whatever it was, sixty odd minutes maybe more, I mean conceding that amount of points. It's just that's just not good enough. But Wakefield really really impressed with when one six in a row. Now I think they were beaten by a Wigan what was it six seven weeks ago, and then before that they won a stack of games sitting in second. Now, you know the history of Wakefield better than mely. I know about the golden days in the sixties, But when's the last time Wakefield were up near the top of the ladder. Would it have been like the seventies or.
Speaker 1: I can't remember in my lifetime Wakefield being consistently near the top of the ladder.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, And you know that it might not last for years and years and years. But if you're a Wakefield fan you know where they've come from being relegated three years ago. It's quite remarkable and Darryl Pearl's done a great job there and I really liked the way they played, massive four pack, lots of offloads, some quick athletic backs and yeah, full credit him.
Speaker 1: Another derby that's got plenty coming out of it because of what happened the day before. We'll talk about all that soon. But Wigan thirty eight, Saint Helen's sixteen, French Eckersley got to, Partington got to and Kieran back on the score sheet after I said he scored every week. He hasn't scored for a few weeks and he kicked seven goals as well. Saint Helen's sixteen came from Wellsby Wellsby Douglas and Murphy Hastings got two. This was overshadowed the day before with the news that Paul Rowley left Saint Helen's. Now surely he was sacked.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it's an odd one in the sense that you read I'm not sure if you've read the statementally, I'll try and bring it up Wie.
Speaker 1: While you're doing that, I'll give you, I'll give you just wait wait, Wakefield last to finish top of the league in nineteen forty three, forty four.
Speaker 2: There you go.
Speaker 1: So there was a world war going on when that last happened. So hopefully we don't break out in war this year. But yes, that that gives you some context. Yeah, so you've got the statement, You've got the statement.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So this this, this dropped into the inbox at eleven am on Thursday. So what's that thirty six hours before the wigging game on the Friday night. It Sason Els can confirm that head coach poorly stepped down from his role at the club with immediate effect. I mean confirm. Is interesting because they've they're breaking the news themselves that wasn't recorded before. Assistant coach am And will assume interim leadership of the States first team, And of course aim And O'Carroll is leaving at the end of the season to join for a coaching job in rugby union. It says Paul has navigated an unprecedented injury crisis during his tenure, maintaining a very competitive position throughout the twenty twenty six bed Threads Super League season. The book ammends him for his achievements during his challenging period and wishes him the very best in future endeavors. I'm not sure what achievements they've been, but okay. As in point of it's continuity instability is the clear club keys up for the business end of the season as a thorough process to identify a permit successor is embarked upon. I mean, that's just the word soup, isn't it delivers continuity in stabity?
Speaker 1: Didn't they say in that that it'd been a tough decision for us, even though they claiming that Roly made the decision.
Speaker 2: I'll finish that. There's just a couple of sentences left Chairman aim In and aim in manas sorry added I would like you yes, I would like to thank Paul for his commitment an extreme hard work as a head coach. Hews onely welcome to the club. Decision was extremely difficult for all concerned that we've fully recognized the extra challenges that Paul faced for this particular season. Where's the club must now look forward and do all within our powers to preserve our position as the most successful club in the history of Super League and to restore our position as a silverware contender going forward. Saint Helens will make no further comment at this time.
Speaker 1: It's a mess. The whole thing's a mess. I mean, why why it happened the day before a derby and.
Speaker 2: The week they'd won again.
Speaker 1: I do there's either been a huge fallout or something's brewing for a long time when it's come to a head. And old John Wilkin hinted to that effect, and I know cow Felt said something a few weeks ago, didn't he about how he wasn't enjoying his football under the current coach at the time was Paul Role.
Speaker 2: So I think you look at that statement though, and that seems to suggest that he stepped down at his own violition. Now I've approached Paul, he hasn't responded, but spoken with lots of people the last few days and it seems pretty clear to me that he was sacked, but they've tried to kind of spin it that he stepped down. And usually in this in these sort of statements, you you get a quote from the coach. There's no quote from him in it, and people I've spoke to it seems to be put that that. Obviously there's been a sort of a rift in the playing group. It does seem to have been this kind of uh, you know, the veterans at Saint Helens or the St Helens Wavy, the kind of Salford way. Obviously, Paul came in from Salford and there's a couple of players that he signed, a number of players he's had it from Salford staff they have with Salford, and there seems to be that's kind of one of the root causes a bit of a rift, and it seems to be I think that that's some players you know, went to the club and complained about that about you, performances, standards, that sort of thing. So, yeah, it is a mess. You said that clearly to do this the day before Derby, I think he'd had nineteen Super League games in charge, Paul, and there were six or seventh at the sort of the sacking obviously a week after being in.
Speaker 1: Katlian's quite shocking. Really, he was never the right fit. And I'm not talking after the event. I think if people look back and listen back to old Super League three sixty podcasts, I was questioning the appointment in terms of I looked at his defensive abilities as a coach in particular. Some coaches as well are better suited to lower clubs and less suited to I mean, Saint Helen's in rugby league would be not quite a real Madrid or a Barcelona, but they'd be one of the bigger clubs in the rugby league world. You would add Saint Helen's, Wigan and Leeds in particular to the group of clubs that could compete with NRL clubs. So sorry, not just compete beat an RL club. So I thought it was a real poor appointment. I assume he's not responding to your calls, John, because it's probably been paid off quite significantly because he was only nine months into a three year contract. Right, Yeah, it's probably been paid off quite significantly. Whoever wrote the statement had to check though that it all added up, because, like I said earlier, in the same statement or in the same brush, it said it was a difficult decision for us, even though they were saying it was poor role is decision to leave.
Speaker 2: Yeah, mixed, mixed messages. I think, look, a lot of the fans had turned on him. I'm sure that played. Yes, a lot of the Saints fans. I think there was a seption like theself who didn't think it was the right choice at the time, and obviously with what they've dished up this season. Look, we've spoken about them for a while now, haven't we, and spoke about extensively last week or the week before. You know, I think the club's been drifting for a couple of years now. The way Paul Wellens was treated last year, you know they were looking for other coaches. You know, it was all signs that he was going to get benned and then you know he only basically got sacked at the end of the season. But you know, Paul's a club legend and I think the way he's treated was Paul. You can look at the recruitment I think Saint Helen's investment wise, if you can compare them to the other top clubs, they've recruitment wise, they've they've not released the purse strings for quite a few years, and you can see that reflected in the signings that they've made. I think that's come back to haunt them. And then you look, obviously there's a massive change of the guard there. Mike Rush has gone, Derek Train has gone, there's other stuff that have gone James Roby obviously left, he was sort of involved there after retiring, so it's a massive transition period. But the thing that I also find interesting, you know, there's a lot to talk about and you mentioned this as them being a powerhouse and there a powerhouse about standards and you know, not accepting mediocrity. But no one's got a divine right to success, you know. And you see all big clubs, whether they be you know, Brisbane Broncos or Manchester United, you go through stages like this. Sometimes they last for a couple of years or a year. Sometimes I last for a decade or more, don't they. So yeah, there's going to be a lot of soul searching at that place. But yeah, the way the whole things sort of come out and the whole period, it's been very, very very strange, and yeah, tough times for sell On Helens even though I mean they were certainly beaten on Friday, but they did they showed the players really did put in a performance and gave it quite a bit. They just got played by a much better team in terms of Wigan. And yeah, that easter wind where they nicked it the end was a fluke and I think you know most people can realize that.
Speaker 1: I think Saint Helen's I compare their situation somewhat with Brisbane Broncoles in the sense that they have certain standards that they believe they should be meeting as a minimum, Yet what's happening and the personnel that are in there in terms of players as well probably doesn't help that cause. So they need to have a coach that they just stick with during some difficult tides at times. I think because it's been a similar in the sense that the problem is with Brisbane they put together about two months and ended up winning a premiership and that's really skewed the data somewhat. But if you look at Brisbane's overall performance, let's take the last three years for example, Well, two years have been out of the finals and one year they got to the Grand Final and won it, and the year before the three years they got to the Grand Final and just missed out. So if they were a genuine forced Brisbane Broncos and they had some genuine players that would turn up week in week out and do the tough stuff in a lot of places, you'd anticipate them being in the top four every year. Saint Helen's It's not that long ago they were a dominant super League force. It's dropped off a little bit since then. But under Wellens they were there or thereabouts.
Speaker 2: Weren't they.
Speaker 1: You were still talking about them as potential champions or potential Grand finalists with a few weeks to go. But this year has been significantly worse. And I think the coach they needed to appoint after Wellens with somebody And we're not being captain hindsight here. I don't think we've been very consistent on this podcast about it being a period of transition. Somebody who can manage that transition now. I don't think a club like Saint Helens needs to go getting too many players from a club like Salford, who even under Rowley did okay, but they didn't quite hit the heights of the years prior to that as well. So it'd be a bit like when David Moyes took over from Alex Ferguson by him buying a load of Everton players I think so and getting them to play for Manchester United. So they need to move on quickly from this, I think. But they also need to be patient with the next guy. They need to do a proper search rather than just going down the East Lanks road. They will say they did a proper search, but I think if they did, they wouldn't have gone with Paul Role. Put it that way, and they need to stick with the guy that they select, and they need to tough this out together.
Speaker 2: Think I think before, I think he went to St. Helen and they wanted things his way. He wanted complete control like he had at Salford, like he had at Toronto, and I don't think a St Helen's that approach was going to work. And I think now, I mean, I don't notice for a fact that I would. My guess is that they will look down under for a coach. I'll look to someone who they can bring in and say, hey, this is the way, you know, this is the the Saint Helen's way, that St Helen's ideology, and I look for, you know, the next kind of cab off the rank in the NROL, which they did with Justin Holbrook, and they did with Christian Wolff with obviously big success. So I'd imagine people like Ben Horby, Lake Green, Matt King, those kind of names, maybe Daniel Holdsworth, you know the ones that are, you know, perhaps is the next nur L coach off the rank. They'll look to hire someone that. I don't think there's a huge number of British coaches or English coaches that they'd be interested in. But yeah, it's when you said about powerhouses, I think Saint Alen's have never been. I don't think they've missed the semi finals in the what thirty odd years of Super League, which is a bringer remarkable achievement, but there isn't a divine right to that. So they have to kind of pull their finger out now, and you know completely, I think overhaul the club. They are strange clubs in Hellens and I think that Leeds and Wigan you compare them leads and we're going to have a bit more of a national, even international look, while Saint Helen's just they like being a big fish in their little pond. But to be honest, that's kind of not good enough if you want to be the best and you want to grow and expand and all that sort of thing. So I think they need to kind of change their general attitude of the way that the club operates and how it presents itself to the doubtside World as well, and I think an indicator of that is on Sky. You know, they offered Amia McManus or Abbia Girku to come on Sky and talk about the decision. Neither of them did. And I think this is, you know, you've got to show some accountability. You've got to speak to your fans and try and explain why you're doing this decision. Now. I know, Holsey, you could arguly try to do that during the week with a very very long statement, but that's probably a poor way to do it. I think an interview with you know, the likes of Sky Will BBC, where you actually get put some hard questions and you answer is the best avenue. But again, people just don't Maybe they were scared of John Wilkin. Maybe don't. Yeah, I don't think scared, but yeah, there's probably another word I could use, But yeah, I don't want to go through the keeper.
Speaker 1: Maybe they should start a program and say that they are unleashed. Because a side that was unleashed in the Winds column this week was Huddersfield who scored twenty four a way to York who got twenty two. Well done Huddersfield, I mean we've We've been bringing them every week on this podcast for one reason or another. So that's twelve Super League defeats in succession that they've suffered. I'm thirteenth time lucky. And they managed to jag o win over York. And I say jag because it was a close game. York's twenty two from Nuffoluma, Galiana, Galiano, Thompson and Inman Betterson got three. Huddersfield's twenty four came from Jagger, the old Rocker, Lola Here, Wrench and Wolford and Flanagan got four goals. So I was really happy when I saw that Huddersfield won this game. So for anybody who thinks we bag Huddersfield, it's probably because we're so upset that a club that we want to do well is doing so poorly. But they've got a win. Have they been have they been a punished this week? John, have they not stopped bleating? Or have they been nine and humble after a win?
Speaker 2: We bagged them because they lost Toroly I think, you know, yeah, you can't argue with that. Just a very very quick segue back to the wing game. Because we didn't give a French. Sorry you didn't put that. You didn't put that in the running I didn't running order you go I did. He was sensational. I can't remember it was one or two tries he spoiled. He's set up a load. He was just brilliant. And there's more talk about the best overseas important Super League history. It's very hard to compare different players in different eras. You know, when Jamie Lyon did one season, but Bevan French is a freak and you know, to joy to have him back playing, and you know he's that secret weapon that we can have that I think can you know, take them back to glory. But going on to Huddersfield, Yeah, well done to Huddersfield. Really grinded that went out played well I think they did. They came from behind six Niel, Yeah, just breaking the hoodo I had. I had heard that. You know, Jim Lennon had been making some progress there and I know it's been up and down, but it's his first winning charge. And there's still the off field speculation about the future of the club and where they're going to play and all the kind of nonsense comments coming from the leadership. But the players and the coachs of you know, big grabs for forgetting that win.
Speaker 1: They've also come up with an opportunity for fans to come for free. So what more would you want if you're a part of the Hudderfield parish than to come on the back of a victory against York and come and watch your team for free when they play the Catalans in one of their future games and it's at the stadium, the a Q Stadium as I believe it's called now, and they're going to use that day to announce where they will play home games in twenty twenty seven. So have they paid a bond on Jewsbury Ramsen?
Speaker 2: Have they? I mean, that's that's that's the talk. They'll be playing at Jewsbury. They're not obviously playing Halifax. That's been pretty clear that the bid to buy the shape be not back. I think Newsbury will be the choice. There is some talk that they have secured a sign in Huddersfield for a future new staying, but that'll be a couple of years. Quite You can't build a new stadium in three or four months, ken you. It takes it takes years for that.
Speaker 1: But what it fled under banks and nice ground. It's on a slope and it looks like pul from Parker Driver around there, so I.
Speaker 2: Think, yeah, I think they'll be a Jewsbury the free fans thing. They've done this before fees. I think they've done it maybe two twice before over the last ten to twenty years, and I think maybe they're twelve thousand for that's on. I'm not a massive fan of this because it devalues your product. So if you're going to charge twenty twenty five thirty quid each week and then suddenly you're saying, okay, everyone can come in for free, I'm not I'm not a huge fan. But I do like the idea of, you know, giving away tickets to kids, you know, making it free or cheap for kids, because that way you're kind of you're building that connection. But yeah, I'm not a massive fan.
Speaker 1: Of I think it's okay as a one off a year if you pick one game that's a free nie and then you give you give the public chance to put some money and I don't know, towards a charity or to merchandise or drinks, refreshments, et cetera. I think it's okay for one, because there's also the other side of the coin. I was a junior Devil. I was a junior Red Devil, and as soon as I turned sixteen, I didn't particularly want to pay because I've been given course, I've been given all these tickets for I've been given free tickets for years. I was quite concerned about paying. So on the York side, Clint Goodchild stepped down as a director at York. Now tell everybody what Clint Goodchild was at that club, but what kind of director?
Speaker 2: And he remains the chairman and the majority owner. Now there's been talks or negotiations for quite a while about new investors coming in. My understanding is that there's an overseas investment group and a local investment group, and I think him standing down as a director on the company's house of the company is a part of the process. Now, I think this deal is close to being done. I don't think it's necessarily done yet, but I think it's close to being done. And I think what will be interesting is, apart from obviously who takes over the club, but whether Clint stays on or moves on. Now I think you know, he would probably like to stay on but if there's a big payoff, understandably he will be he will be gone. So yeah, interesting times at York. I think they've done pretty well in their first season the Super League so far on a very very small budget and half central distribution. And I think I think we talked about this well at the start of the season, and I think most people expected the bottom three clubs to sorry, the three championship clubs coming up to be in the bottom three or near it and super leak and obviously we've got Huddersfield and huld Off seat at the bottom, just followed by Bradford York and cass to lose City at night. So look, if I think if York finished were they are eleventh now or even a little bit higher, that's a massive achievement and they know, well done to them. So we shall see what happens with York in the next well for the next few days, next few weeks, I think more news to come on.
Speaker 1: Darby from says to lose sixteen Catalan's eighteen de sweet that's the worst.
Speaker 2: That's the worst French accent or attempted French I think I've ever heard.
Speaker 1: Tries Troppis cattle and four kicks for shocks for to lose and Catalans sixteen came from making Soon, who got a double aspial BChE his horse every week, wouldn't it, and who also kicked three goals. This was a scrappy game, wasn't it in terms of didn't the weather interrupt it a couple of times or really influence it?
Speaker 2: Yeah? It was. It was pouring for Ryan for a while, which considering well the heat not only in France but its been in most of Europe have been in the heat, wet, it was. It was weird to see a game and shall we say wintry conditions. But yeah, Carolins haven't won for what seems like an age and obviously they got sixty foot on them by to loose three weeks ago the start of July in the Magic weekend, so big result for them. Started off with Tommy Makinson with a great leap and a try. They go to tend to ahead Katlians and then to loose it back making some gets another try and then to loose come back right the death, but they rent out of time. I scored I think within the last final seconds converted that try, but still lost by two, So yeah, to loose, I've had a good run. I think it was three wins in a row, so a bit of a bounce back to earth from them and for Katlans, Yeah, a bit of restored pride after they're thrashing by their French neighbors. Let's talk about the home side. First.
Speaker 1: They had an interview in some masthead or with some organization about their future. Can you paint some paint some pictures? Said yes, my.
Speaker 2: Right. I interviewed Cedric Gas there, the director of sport or effectively their CEO, and they seem very confident that they're going to be in Super League next year. They believe they deserve to be in there. They believe they're going to improve on every IMG criteria, and they're making plans in terms of recruitment and resignings for next season. So you know, everyone's positive and talking up their chances when it comes to Huddersfield London, New York. To lose, obviously, they can't all be well unless we expend a fifteen, which wouldn't rule out. But though it seems unlikely, they're.
Speaker 1: All playing, they're all playing the media, aren't they. They're all getting in their retaliation.
Speaker 2: First of people, they get kicked out and you could say that, but I mean I went to Cedriac to interview him. It wasn't the case of the club coming to me for you know, three pr I thought, you know, it was interesting to because they are a French club in English, in English competition, they don't get as much press or coverage from the media generally the as the the English one. So yeah, I thought it was interesting to hear from them, And yeah, they're happy about where they're obviously on the field, you know, sitting in ninth is you know, we talked, seem to say it every week, but they've got half the central distribution and they play a million quid transport as well at travel coroffs, so they're doing well. Obviously the defeat on Saturday, but yeah, onwards and upwards for to lose.
Speaker 1: Now, a man that played ninety seven games for their opponents, the Catalans Dragons and forty two games for Newcastle Knights in the late two thousands, Scott Drawer passed away last week at the age of only thirty nine. I believe he's been fighting a battle with cancer for quite a while. That was really sad.
Speaker 2: John yeah, really sad. I mean I think he got diagnosed in twenty I'm going to say twenty thirteen, twenty fourteen. Yeah, he had surgery then to remove a tumor behind his eye. But I knew Scott a bit obviously his time at Catalans interviewed him. He was a lovely guy, really a pleasure to deal with. I was actually just looking back at some text messages that still on my phone from twenty fifteen when he was playing at the Dragons. He was always helpful, you know, always generous with his time. Originally a tarre boy, played for his junior footy at the Port moll Croy Sharks and then came through at Newcastle. And I believe my Auntie knows his wife and mother in law very well. It's typical Newcastle, one degree of separation. But he was just a lovely, lovely person and thirty nine years old, you know, wife, kids, terribly terribly sad. He battled you know, with cancer basically for that decade, which is remarkable.
Speaker 1: That would have been an awfully tough last twelve years thirteen years for him then.
Speaker 2: But the tribute, I'm not sure if you've seen it. The tribute that Trent Robinson gave. I think it was a Fox interview obviously coached him, not only Newcastle but Catlaan's. It was just it was really touching. I thought, a lovely tribute to him. And yeah, Ano another one, much like Dean, you know, gone too soon. It just seems like, you know, this year obviously John k here and it's been a horrible a couple of months in terms of people on the sport, you know, passing away. So yeah, thoughts and condolencers go out to everyone who knew Scott and his family and friends, and yeah, he was He'll be long remembered. I think indeed.
Speaker 1: Lee twenty eight Warrington twelve, big win for Lee. This Armstrong, Lamb senior offer and Gwie and Hanley scored the tries for Lee. Cook kicked four goals, Warrington's twelve from Sipley Hoppawati and we got to go. That's five successive victories for Lee now. So they are on the charge, aren't they.
Speaker 2: They're flying at the table again, just the way they play that kind of spine with David Armstrong, with Cook, with Lamb and then you mightor Hanley chipping in from the centers. And really really dangerous and then they've just got that massive pack Joe often galways in great, great form and then they're you know, they're a team that you have to watch and I think they are merging his real dark horses in the competition. So another another big win for them, and yeah, great signs for the Leopards.
Speaker 1: Leads forty two Bradford twelve Leads were always going to bounce back and think after having the plants pulled down for Cattleford tries for Leeds, two for McDonald. I'm sure McDonald's Oh no, he did score for Leeds a week before. I just want to say he's playing everywhere McDonald, O'Connor Holroyd again, Croft Jenkins. Watkins scored the try and kind of kick seven goals. Bradford's tries from Armitage and Ryan and Hooley kicked two goals. The big news I think in terms of this game though, was that micros Evo may have broken his arm.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that will be a blow if he has broken and he's out for a sustained period. I don't know whether he'll bring out the mountain and go armguard from back in the nineties, But yeah, Leeds yeah, were they were very good in this game. Obviously, Bradford scored first, which was a little bit of a shock, but Leeds came back in a sept try and then you know, Jake kind of just took over. I'm not so if you've seen that monster forty twenty, but it was it was kicked from Bradford and landed and headingley. It was. It was Fritish and then he set up a couple of try scored one himself. Yeah, Leeds bouncing back like we expected to have done. The trouble against Bradford. So far this season, I think that's three games against their old rivals and three wins and you know, another big rack up of points to score. But yeah, I was.
Speaker 1: Waiting for a diagnosis on his arm. If he's with the NHS, is probably still in the triage waiting for a doctor the ladder. Everybody's played twenty apart from Warrington and whole k are now who I think have decided they're not going to play this game. They're just going to They've just got to let it slide, I think on a Tuesday, which is an interesting choice, but I guess you've got a squeeze in somehow if they both play on the Friday previous and play on the Tuesday and then the Sunday, that's fine, that's not too bad. It's that old school is that it's also about a five day turnaround as well. So Leeds they've played the full complement of games their top of the ladder with thirty two. Then there's two teams on thirty Wakefield Trinity who were in second, Wigan Warriors who are in third, and the points difference is only three differents. Wakefield have got three points more in their points difference column, Warrington Wolves in fourth despite their recent travees. But like I said, they've still got an extra game to play. They're on twenty six points so they've got some ground to make up now and we'reing above them. Lee are a level with them, and a lot will depend on how that extra game goes to see how far Lee can get up the table in the next couple of weeks, because they've played the full compliment and they're on twenty six and Hunkingston Rovers below them, who've got an extra game to player on twenty four with a better points differential. Saint Helen's as you alluded to, earlier are outside of the final spots. They're in twenty four points, so they're not a million miles off being back in them.
Speaker 2: To be fair.
Speaker 1: Catalans are in eighth, they're on eighteen points and then there's a bit of a drop now thanks to Castford's win over to Lose. They're in ninth on fourteen. Castleford are in tenth on fourteen. York Knights and Bradford Bulls are both on twelve in eleventh and twelfth respectively. Hull left c two points below them on ten in thirteenth and then it would have been quite barren if Hudersfield didn't manage a win because they're only four points behind. Now there would have been six if they didn't beat York and they're on six points at the foot of the ladder. RL tweet of the week and this is going to be a bit of a serious one, John Well, two serious ones, actually League Freak close to a week ago. We're going into the NRL here a little bit, but I think it applies to Super League as well. The suspensions the NRL handed out this week were laughable, said League Freak. Players got suspended for nothing. What's your understanding of how officialdom is performing on both sides of the world at the moment.
Speaker 2: John, Look, I think the standard overall officiating in the NRL is higher than in Super League. I think there's a number of reasons for that, because obviously there's a It's a bigger sport in Australia, isn't it. There's more referees, there's more players, there's more people involved in the sport. I think obviously there's more probably pressure on referees, particularly in Super League now with every game being televised in a video refereed every game. But I think we've got to remember referees aren't perfect and they're going to make mistakes. We want the best standards, We want consistency. We don't always get it, But I don't think we need to be going out and abusing and carrying on either. I think it's a fine line, isn't We want We want more people to take up a whistle and to referee, because without it we don't have a sport. But I think the constant barras on online in particular about ben talk or raup referees is nonsense and people they need to have some common sense as well.
Speaker 1: John tweet of the week. It's actually two tweets. One of them you said that this case is a model. You were referring to the concussion trials in will be Cold in the UK, and you retweeted something else on the same issue, something pertaining to Ryland's Garth, who are representing some of these players I think may not have fully complied with a judges order about many documents.
Speaker 2: This is the major concussion trial that's happened to you can. I mean, it's been going on now, i'd say at least three or four years, and it's obviously it's it's two trials in one in the sense that it's rugby union and rugby league. So Ryland's Garth is the law firm that's taken on this and I think remember exactly off the top of my head, but it's quite a large number of rugby X Rugby league players who are pursuing the RFL and BAALA, but we're still no close to actually going to court. The dispute is over the medical information that has been supplied. Now Ryland's Garth is going to as a law firm, is going to excuse themselves and another law firm is going to take it, take their place. But the I think the case is in danger of being thrown out because of this and because of the delays, and obviously this case is huge. You know, if if the players, the X players, won their case, I mean I imagine, yeah, the RFL BARLA could go bankrupt, have serious replications. But on the same side, and I know a lot of fans you think these X players are money grubbers or you know, worse than that. But I think we've got to remember that a lot of them are suffering, you know, massively with dementia and also of diseases and problems in life. And we've got to remember that the players other lifeblood of our game too. You know, they go out there and they give you know, they sacrifice their bodies for our entertainment, for the fans. So I think there's got to be some compassion on both sides as well. But yeah, the case itself just seems like the fact that there's been really hardly any progression in years for this to go on is is is not great. So yeah, it needs to come to a conclusion one way or the other, hopefully the most most correct one. But what that is I don't really know. I mean, you'd have to see all the evidence, wouldn't you. But yeah, it's going to have far reaching implications, not only across all of rugbility, but rugby in as well. And I think you know, contact sports generally, you look at whatever it was, the five billion lawsuit in the NFL a few years ago, and that's obviously a much richer sport, but the rugby codes we don't have the same but they don't have the same bank bounds, do they too, to those kind of climbs.
Speaker 1: I mean, you can see where these players are coming from somewhat as well, because concussions, concussions and injuries genuinely used to be a badge of honor in the game. So it's not it's only just over a decade ago that we celebrated as a sport. Sam Burge is playing with a broken cheek bone for most of the Grand Final against the Ball the sixties.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know.
Speaker 1: I mean my relatively short playing career and I'm of a certain vintage and I remember being knocked out on the field and there was no nothing except a wet sponge. Also in a professional game that I played, my I was trying to fend and my right wrist felt like it's sprained or something like that, because I do have a reasonably high paying threshold right so I just to the physio, sorry, in inverted comms, physio, I think I've sprained it, and he got the wet sock out of the bucket and wrapped it around the wrist. Well, basically, I found out twenty years later it actually broke in several places on this occasion and had reset itself. So I've literally not been able to move my wrist further than that for twenty odd thirty odd years. So these things have happened. If it happened to me at that level in a shorter time, imagine what some of these players are going through, and there is a good chance that some of it was down to medical or lack of medical attention. Now, I would imagine it's also a tricky one because we know a lot more about concussions and injuries now than we did thirty years ago as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my argument, I think it is with the people who criticize these players or the concussion side, as that where you need the risk when you signed up, and people didn't. I think, you know, kids today maybe or that the parents are aware. But you know, when I was a kid in the late eighties, early nineties, you didn't you know, if someone said, oh, if you play rugby league and then at thirty, you could you know, have early onset dementia that was never mentioned. You know, you would might know that you might have a broken nose and busted knees and torn biceps and all that sort of thing, but we didn't know about you know, the brain injuries and how serious it could be. So you are right, like, we know these things now. We didn't know them even probably got fifteen years ago. We didn't know them. But we know now, and it's going to be interesting to find out what was known or what you know, could have been reasonably deduced by you know, getting concussed and waking up and running back on the field and what impact that could have later in life. So, yeah, it's one to keep an eye on that case. Yeah, it's massively far reaching implications of what.
Speaker 1: Happens in that Courtum, there's a chance the whole kr and Warrington game will happen before this case is settled.
Speaker 2: Are you ready for my idea? John?
Speaker 1: I've been inspired by the fact that Catalan's beat to lose last week. They're effectively now the French champions, right because they're four points ahead, they probably won't get caught in the ladder. They're probably going to finish higher in the ladder, right.
Speaker 2: It'd be embarrassing if they if they didn't with all the natural advantages that they have. But yeah, but they have.
Speaker 1: But also we used to have Yorkshire and Lancashire Cups and it's just like the Calcutter Cup in the Six Nations or whatever it is. Now that England plays Scotland as part of the Six Nations and somebody gets the Calcutter Cup. I would like to float the idea that we give either the old Lancashire and Yorkshire Cups out to the teams that finish highest in the ladder. So for example last year Wigan. Oh, you could either do it on the ladder or you could do on the Super League playoffs. Right, so just using the Super League playoffs, Wigan and Hookingson Rovers would each get one each would get a langshare in the Yorkshire Cup as well, or you could do it or the ladder and that would literally mean every game could mean something because if you could get bragging rights and do not do not underestimate that a lot of people in Lancashire and Yorkshire really do want to get one up on the on their local rivals in any way that they can. So that was just an idea that are floated so that there's more newsworthy things that we can we can take pictures of and report on. So I thought it'd be a great idea to bring back the Orchestra and Lancshire Cups to the teams that finish highest.
Speaker 2: If you want they really have a.
Speaker 1: Well you wouldn't because you're an aussy, right, But the yorkid Lancire Cups were huge.
Speaker 2: They were huge, you know.
Speaker 1: The Yorkshire Lancshire Cups as old almost the game itself and therefore, and then one day we just decided it was no too many games, We're not doing it anymore. There's all sorts you could do with this. You could have a historical Yorkshire and Lancashire Cup winners since the early nineties. You could do that as well. I think there'd be great news stories, great cycles, and that would have added a bit more spice to the game last week between the two French teams as well, and you never know. They could be an end of season fixture between two sides that just means that little who were both in the finals, It could just mean that little bit more so, Yeah, it's passed through. The Committee of me has decided. You might not have seen this. John Andrew Abdo was on James Graham's podcast It comes out here on a Sunday morning in Australia, and based on what I heard, he never said it's happening. But based on what I heard, I am now very confident the NRL will be investing in the Super League.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I haven't. I didn't know it was on that podcast. I haven't listened to it. I will seek it out. Look, I think Peter Landys has been the last boys. He's been talking about it. You know. I think I think things going on on the scenes. I haven't heard anything specifically from any sources of people I speak to, but yeah, I think of said numerous times. I think it needs to happen. I think it deal needs to happen. We need to come together. I do worry about the British game if something like this doesn't happen, if there isn't expertise and investment in the sport. Yeah, the RFL last week released its annual report. Yeah, talk about that. Yeah, yeah, I mean there had been a small profit I think of about four and a half thousand pounds, which there was a projected loss, which is a good thing. But you know, I think there's been massive cost cutting going on at the RFL. And look, you read the you read the annual report, and you know, everything sounds awesome and rosy and fantastic. And you know, there has been some positive this season, and I'm not saying that hasn't it. Crowds are up, I think, you know, I think TV ratings have been a reasonably good place. But you know, we've also talked about all the other things going on, you know, clubs going bust, you know, issues that left right and center. We can't, you know, be that's kind of head in the sand that everything's perfect. There's there's severe issues in the in the sport. So yeah, I think it's you know, a mixed a mixed bag. Shall we say, there's a man of steel? Is it a short list? Being yes, sad, Yes, there's been a short list from uh. I think I'm trying to remember the exact amount of rounds but I think round ten to nineteen, which was announced last week, some interesting choices. Even the way the press release came out, it wasn't kind of clear necessarily leading, but Jake Connor and Ashnley are are joint top in the latest rankings. Lockie Miller is his third, and then we've got the likes of just coming down. I believe it's Brad O'Neil fourth and Niamila Hanley fifth, then Mikael Lewis or the Ashaal bought and then the likes of Tyrone May, Michael Civo and Daryl Clark. Now I think it's interesting, you know, Daryl Clark perhaps being in there, but also interesting you know who's who's not been in there? No Wakefield players, which you think is is fairly remarkable. I know there's been a bit of debate about that shortlist, and yeah, I still don't know what I had to change the system. I've got this this panel now with the likes of Joe Lyon and Hillary Hanley, etc. Who were all great players and former as a Man of Steel, But I just didn't don't understand why we needed to change it from that system of every game you give three points to one player two to another and one to another to the best performers, whether they be on either side, like the Daly am but works in Australia, I don't see why we needed to change you here. And even this short list of certain games. I mean, I think Daryl Clark had only played a handful of those games because he was injured at that period. And also, you know, Sir Alan's have been fairly poor, so some of the choices are a bit odd.
Speaker 1: But I can't help but thinking as well that this man of steel mob alike, let's make sure Jake Connor gets a man of steel or at least top two after last.
Speaker 2: Year one man of steel last year he just didn't the England look. I think Jake definitely deserves to be up there. He's been fantastic. I mean you look at you look at the Leeds that Ash Handley has been great. Obviously, Cibo has been great. I mean Brady Croft, I think he might be second to the try. I mean, he's been fantastic this year. But you could go across, you know, the Leeds team. I think Cooper Jenkins has been great. I think James McDonald's been fantastic, you know, Leeds have not really had a poor player. I think Brad O'Neill has been very very good this season, deserves about I mean, Oli Partington has been fantastic for a wigind they've obviously Wiggins had a lot of changes, a lot of injuries, a lot of shoffing around, but Brad O'Neil has been great. Luke Thompson he's another one who's who's been great. So you know the fact that whole kr have got two players in there, and I think Tyrone Mayans had a good season, but overall as the team, they've been very poor, so that's perhaps a bit odd. But yeah, I think they've tried, they've tried to change the system around to give it maybe more publicity, more more poors, but I don't think necessarily has happened, and I think there could be a bit more transparency really. I think we've got a question about that in our question section, which we'll get to in a minute. But yeah, it's a bit of a muddel this this this system.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Midland Hurricanes, was it you who interviewed the chairman It was the future of the championship, Yes, the the.
Speaker 2: Chairman and the owner and yeah, I think it kind of ties into basically what he said was that he welcomes the NRL. You know, he's obviously running an expansion club and has been for four or four or five years, and they're having a good season Midlands, you know, the best season probably in their in their very short history, obviously coming up from League One. But yeah, I think I think he's He's comments were basically about, you know, we need to look outside the kind of on that are we generating, and you know, we need to change as a sport. And you know we talk about this on the podcast and privately all the time, don't we. And yeah, I think his sentiments in his views are spot on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Lomaks are signed for Papua New Guinea in the NRL. Not a bad signing for them?
Speaker 2: Is he? Is he playing AFL that or cricket?
Speaker 1: And Adam Adam Dowey is falling out with the Tigers. Every time I open the phone there's an email alert from the Daily Telegraph.
Speaker 2: Do he staying? Do his going? Do his talking to Benji? Do his not talking to Benji? This has been an absolute show. Modzele, Just on the Lomax thing first up, Look, I think it's a great signing for PNG. Before he left Rugular he was, you know, one of the best wingers winger slash centers in the world. And I think he's a great signing. And obviously not you know, this is a rugby league podcast and we're going to throw a lot of sympathy for rugby and if you are, if you are straucking rugby or the fourth or all of it, you just be like what the fuck Like seriously. Yeah, again, we're going to remember that loanents he was going to. It was that long ago, what was it called the broke through sixty yes, which of course never happened, and then there was the whole Melbourne Paramatta saga that went to court over Lomax. Yeah, you just think he's got to stay in the one spot for a while. But yeah, P and G Chiefs are great signing for them. You know, they're just I mean, I know they've got some they've obviously got some disadvantage, but they've got some strong advantages in not paying tax and all the government and third party support in P and G. But they are I think building a pretty strong club. Anything. You see Bold Nagers assistant coach there as well, he's got a I think a close relationship with Willie Peters. Obviously, you know, run a few NRL clubs, so he's got a lot of experience. So you could say they're building their rosstar and their club pretty well. Michael Chamis, you know, it was obviously a top geno and a very smart operator. So good signs, I would say for the Chiefs, For Adam Dewey. I mean, I'm glad I'm not a Tiger's fan. I mean, I know my club's obviously lost again and we're not doing that well. But there we get to them. Yeah, well I didn't. I didn't watch the game release, so we can we can skip over that, but we're not skipping off. Well, you're a salted fan. I don't think you can really.
Speaker 1: A Salford fanom from Salford and care, but I don't. I sometimes forget to check the results.
Speaker 2: So but no, the West Tigers, I mean I thought a year or more ago they'd finally kind of got some stability and they were progressing in the right areas and even the start this is I remember we were doing a podcast during the year and they were I think there were fourth weren't they and it was like, oh, this, you know, this could be it, and then it's just I mean, the Dowy thing is interesting because I think he loves that club and he's bled for it, but and there are other things going on. But it's never a good look where a coach says, and you know, you're a coach, like if you said, all player, look, you know, whatever the position is, you're you're playing here this weekend. Effectively, you do have to do what your coach says, don't you like, it's not a great look if you're pushing back against the coach and say.
Speaker 1: There's a thousand reasons why this might have happened, and none of them are good from the outside. So Jerome blue Eyes on his way out and therefore probably had eyes on the number six jersey and a bit more money. Number two. He's only just signed an extension. Jerome blue Eyes on his way out, and therefore if he if he went to another club immediately, if you like, or in or very soon, then he could maybe get two contracts for the rest of his career. Because he's twenty eight in just over a week, so essentially he's in his peak. Number three, he's probably gone here we go again. The Tigers are imploding and all I've done is been at this club number four. We've just announced and sprooked a big TV deal and he's probably thinking, well, I can really maximize my earnings over the next two cycles if you like, of my contract, and I've just locked myself in for three years or whatever it may be, and really I need to renegotiate.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I.
Speaker 1: And honestly the way it's been handled, I'm not joking when I say the email alerts. One minute you think do he won't be there anymore. Next minute he's having peace talks with the players and the coach and everything else.
Speaker 2: It's an absolute mess. Talking of an absolute mess before you Segreely, you've been living in Australia for what twenty years? Is the Targets. There's more leaks in the Target than the Titanic. Would you say that the most leaky club in the NRL, because there seems to be just whenever something like this happens, it's just report after report after leak after leak. I'll tell you what else is leaking? Mate.
Speaker 1: Manly's defense, they got absolutely battered the other day by Cronuller and I have to bring this up because you're doing everything you can to avoid it. You were spooking about fozball gearing was a matter of two months ago maybe, and I was like, don't you don't you don't. Don't get too kind away, John here, this guy has never coached before and it's an absolute mess now and Storm and Broncos probably because of their defeats at the weekend, they're probably gone now. So that's probably the biggest news from the NRL. We're up to questions now, So while you get yours ready, I got one directly to me from Rich the early Bird, who said highly relatively quick one for you rear potential rule change. Currently, if a team lose a player sinbin red card, a scrumble pack down with just five players, so that team has still has seven backs, three theoretically in open space, so from a scrum there is no advantage to the opposition. This probably worked in the days of winning the ball against the head and contested scrums, but in today's sanitized world of a scrum basically being a chance for a breather, it doesn't. I think a team down to twelve to eleven, et cetera should still have to pack down with six players, which then opens the field for the opposition, especially if the opposition have the feed. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on this. Scrums frustrate me as teams don't put on plays to the extent I believe they should from scrums, but I think this may well open up the possibility of really punishing a team of sind. I think it's a great idea, Rich, and it's not that big a change really, It's just you have to pack down with six, get six in there and yeah, so I like that rich John likes it in his head.
Speaker 2: All the questionips do we have. We've got some questions on X and some questions on Facebook, one from Nick Goog what's happening with the NRL doing If it doesn't happen, rugby league is dead over here. I think we've kind of covered that, haven't we Just previously question from Jeff Straud or neutral referees that desperately needed last night Wigan was appalling. We did touch a little bit on referees, but I think ideally referees not from that area, you know, refereeing that their hometown club would be great. But we don't have a lot, particularly in England, we don't have a lot of referees, so what we're supposed to do? I mean, I know there's one Australian reference super League. Do we import more Australian referees to England? I don't know that. You know, Ashally Klein obviously did quite a few years in Super League, but yeah, we've got to make the best use of what we have. Jeff looking onto X. There was a question from Ian why any line on a new title sponsor for Super League Betford's still set to expire end of this season. I haven't heard a lot about this, but I think it is likely that Betfread will renew. I think they do get a lot out of the sport and it's a fairly successful sponsorship. So in terms of what figure, I don't know, but I think it's likely that they were anew question from Leonard Gregory Top six question mark TV deal Is it done yet? I know it's probably been a lot of conjecture about the TV dealer this week. Someone known for inventing things may have invented that. It was sort of with Sky. I spoke to a few people and I don't believe any deal is done as of yet, so again people you just kind of want to watch who, what you read and why. But yeah, I think negotiations are still going on. I think it's probably most likely a a new deal with Sky, but in what shape or form I don't know. On the other bit, top six, we didn't talk a lot about thisly, but obviously we went through the table. I don't see a lot of change, like it's so tight. So really, did you get a question about the top six? Did you? Well, it was just basically top six question mark, which was I think, who do you think will finish in the top six and make the playoffs? If you look at that table, I mean there's what so now it's the seventh same points as whole k Are, and then you've got fifth and fourth in Warrington and Lee on twenty six points, and then I jump four points to a Wigan in Wakefield on thirty and obviously Leeds top. Look, I don't think there's any doubt Leads will finish top. I can't see them collapsing, even though obviously they've had a few injuries. I think that Warranton, wholew and you the one you keep checking out, that's going to be massive in the scheme of yea. But even look, I think we'd have to compare each club's running. I think when we're not seven rounds from the end, maybe next week or a week after, we can we can analyze that closely. But I think it's probably a two way battle between Whole Car and St Helens for that sixth spot. Like Lee, you're in sensational form and I don't see that changing. Warrington have been up and down, but I think they've got enough there to make the six. You know, Wigan and Wakefield will we'll finish the top.
Speaker 1: I think there's every chance who's in the six right now as we record will be the six. To me, what it is important is how Saint Helen's bounced back from losing their coach. That's the important thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they haven't. They haven't just lost their coach, they've lost Daryl Clark out for us the season as well. They've got so many players out and I think you look at Whole k Are, I think, you know, there's not been a great season for Whole Car when you compare them to last year, but they've still got you know, a fairly they've still got a very good squad and you know, apart from Michael Lewis, Artam mauls back now they're nearly at full strength. As I said Leah in Red Hot Form, we're gonna getting wins Wakefielder and Red Hot Form. Yeah, it's going to be I think a two way shootout between that Whole Guns and Allens. And look if if Warrenton beat Whole Car that's definitely a massive boost for Sin Allens when they've got that extra game those two clubs. So yeah, look, Carlaan's are in eighth, there's six points off Hellns. I think they're done. I've been saying that for quite a few weeks. And the really other interesting battle, although at the bottom is is the Spoon because obviously we've got the Spoon battle. I think on Thursday night, haven't we Haddestfield? So Hardest Field win that and they're two points so you would think Hardest Field are nailed on for the Spoon. But the way I obviously are going, how badly they're going, it's possible, as you is there any more questions? There is some more. Sorry I just went off on a nice little tangent. There The more questions there was just switching my screen back. There was a question from Phil Turner. Should the referees be encouraging teams to use the captain's challenge of the minute they are giving a decision against them. Surely it's the team's a grievance to approach the referee, not vice versa. It's not a good look and further encourages hold ups in play. Yeah, lisays no, I agree, no spot on. Phil got a question from Kai Gil which was a really good question. Thanks for this, Kai. If there was one player, both current and former rugby league player you'd love to sit down for a discussion, who would it be? M Now, this really stumped me when I read it. I think former player I think probably would be Well I had to actually Fulton, I think would be would be fascinating, sadly no longer with us. And the other one is Roy Francis, which I know you read the book about fantastic book by Professor Tony Collins and you know what an amazing life he had and a trailblazer current players. It's a good one. I'd like to meet Jack Gibson, Yes, I mean another I've read a bit of Andrew Webster's book, and I'm obviously he was a well you know, I say criminal, but it was a bit of a bounce, it wasn't it.
Speaker 1: It was a standard, very very colorful, but obviously understood coaching as well well.
Speaker 2: One of the greatest coaches ever and changed the game in Australia. So yeah, he would be great current players. He's a good one. I I.
Speaker 1: Like opinionated players, so and there's a few I think, who would I like to sit down with now?
Speaker 2: Current player? That's a tough one. I was. I was thinking about it through the act. You know, I've been able to many be nice and clear and monster and brain. There's a lot of the top players that I've been lacking off to interview. But someone I haven't, that's yeah, I might have to think about that, sorry, Car a little bit longer, because that is a is a really good question.
Speaker 1: I think I'd like to speak to somebody associated with the motor neuron disease thing, So somebody like keV Sinfield I've got I always an ex player. I used to play with his brother Ian, but I don't know Kevin. But obviously Gy Arrow until recently was a was a current player. The Burgess boys about because their dad had multieuron disease as well. So yeah, so yeah, it's a tough one. That it's a tough one because I mean, my first instinct when you said former player was Kevin Ward. Kevin Ward was one of my favorite players, the old proper. Yeah, but you don't. I don't know Kevin Ward, but I would, I would imagine, you know, he might be a man of few words. I don't know, it might not be the best chat. Probably a very tough paths that I imagine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it might not understand his accent or something. Yeah, but yeah, current one. That's that's tough. You mentioned the Burgesses. I've interviewed Sam Berge a few times, and you know, when he wants to be he's He's quite an interesting interview. We'll move on to last question from Nazarenko about the Man of Steel panel. Handley should be removed in his votes made null and void twice, he's significantly compromised the ability of the system. Were refusing to vote on a required number of players. If you don't want to follow the rules of the job trot on which I wasn't. I wasn't aware and I'm not sure if this is the case that he hasn't made all the required number of voter on the require number of players. I did try and see some clarification on that, but it wasn't able to. But yeah, if that is the case, that's a bit strange if you're not sort of following the learning platform, if you you know there's five players.
Speaker 1: That you need to I actually, I actually, I actually slightly disagree. If he's if he's just do if he's doing if he's doing it because he's not doesn't know the rules, then he probably needs to be reminded of the rules. But he might actually be doing it because I don't know, let's say you've got to pick five players. Maybe it sits there because he's a hard task master, right it was a hard task master as a player about and as a coach. He might just be saying, well, there's only three good enough that I'll want to give votes for. And I always say, I always say that a decision not to vote is a vote in itself, so we.
Speaker 2: Need to docut vote. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you've if you've got a gun to your head to vol and you decide no, I'm not going to use that. If you're doing it conscientiously. That's actually a volt. So I think we need to hear from mister Hamley's first before we jump to any conclusions.
Speaker 2: Which is what I thought too. Obviously he signs in the rankings. Is that true potential of confident? I know they're not well as I understand they're not close at all. Rugby League conflict of interest? You're joking, aren't you. We're not gonna We're not gonna go down to break and ask their d Anyone will let that one get through. But yeah, that was all the questions. Again, Thanks to everyone who's sending a question or a topic much Brushada. We really enjoy the feedback, don't we leave.
Speaker 1: You can get them to me admin at Rugby League Coach dot com, say you or tag me in at Rugby League Coach on Facebook and Instagram. Johnny d Davidson on X on X and John Davidson journalist on Facebook and on Instagram as as well. Next week Huddersfield at home to Whole FC on Thursday.
Speaker 2: What a thriller? Who's going to win that one? John? Yeah? Well, as I just said, it's it's a It's a thriller in its own Way Scoon battle. Yeah, look, I think at the moment, look, all were better. Still not good enough against whole card, but I think I just feel, you know, hopefully that win gives them a lot of confidence breaking that massive losing run. Hal put out that bizarre statement over the week which we haven't really talked about, but kind of a list of excuses and apologies from the owners. I went on BBC humber Side and talked about it actually, and I think you know helf C fans, long suffering fans, they want action, don't they not empty words. So yeah, that the pressure is on that club. They need to turn things around. So yeah, it could be quite a fascinating game.
Speaker 1: Friday, eight o'clock, three games, hul Kingston Rovers, host Bradford Bulls.
Speaker 2: Well have we got three games on the same time? Haven't we learned from this? Can you just give you tip? John? Okay, okay, Bradford Bradford basically polling players for around. I'm surprised I hadn't signed you for for this weekend.
Speaker 1: That I fit the size quota for the front row back based on their nineties quite fit the minute actually lead Rhinos play to lose. I can only see that going one way and to lose are going to flog them? No, no, based on based on last week, we have to wedge our best.
Speaker 2: I think either way, I think Leeds will win. But any any to quote mister Start, any outcomes as possible.
Speaker 1: Lee Leopards host Wigan. That's a bigger actually a bigger that is when they host Wigan.
Speaker 2: It's the bus stop derby. Yeah, that'll be there's no love lost between at least the fans and we'll maybe the owners of these clubs Ley are in great form, but I think they've got a massive change to going. Look I think we're going you put Bevan French back a tay Bevan French at his best is his next level. But you know Leah are full of confidence, a lot of momentum, big four back, great back, so quite evenly matched. So yeah, I think it will be a hell.
Speaker 1: Of a game in what will be a great relief to Johnny Davidson. There's three games on Saturday, but at different times, and so Tigers play Warrington at three o'clock. Following Castleford's bipolar John They're going to this week.
Speaker 2: Well didn't I think it was a season in Warrington put seventy on them and tipping Castleford. I'm going to tip warrant on this one, but again, any any results as possible.
Speaker 1: York Knights host Saint Helen's at five point thirty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a tough one a bit because until the Horderstell game in yorka on a bit of a winning run, weren't they. I think maybe Saint Helen's might just the experience at this level might might get them over. But I expect that one to be a close again.
Speaker 1: And at eight o'clock Catalans host Wakefield Trinity.
Speaker 2: Even over in the warm south of France. I think Wakefield what six in a row, as you said, and I think they've won something like nine to last ten or something crazy. I think Wakefield will. We'll get that one. And there's nothing in the Super League on Sunday, John, I mean, that's just stupidity for me. So Friday the three fixtures. Saturday, Yeah, that's right, Yeah, no fixtures. I don't see why we couldn't have at two o'clock Sunday game and a four o'clock Sunday game. Yeah, it just it doesn't make sense to me, particularly when you look at the the venues. The whole our game is that Groven Park? Is it not? Yeah? Yeah, so they you know, I mean I understand why clubs want to plan on Friday night. They get more corporates than so it's more financially beneficial. But you know, whole Hower around their stadium, they could they could play a game on Saturday. Wigan, Well they are in their stadium and the football season is not in so you know Unle's is that is that? Sorry? Is the Wigan game at Wigan? Or is that Lee at Lee's First? Yes? Sorry, they don't know in that stadium, but yeah, I just this is I was sure. I think part of the new TV deal there has to be a bit more coordination from the clubs and the broadcaster in terms of not putting fixtures head ahead. It's just it should be something of the past. And I've been signing that for years and years and I'll keep signing it to chin.
Speaker 1: Well, I got feeling if I don't end this podcast soon, John's going to keep winging. So we'll we'll see you next week. You never know, we might be out a bit earlier next week if there's no game on Sunday. So we'll see we're working out. We're a bit late this week, we were very early last week, and yeah.
Speaker 2: It'll be. It'll be around out roughly the same time each week, so enjoy your rugby league