Speaker 1: They are finished with the extra innings now and we can move forward. Gary Jeff Walker on a special Monday Night night Cabin after the Reds game early game and GADP in the Snoop Dogg concert. I thought possibly about maybe filling the two hours with Snoop, but a little Snoop goes a long long way, as I remember from my Snoop Dogg period, which may or may not have ever happened.
Speaker 2: On the show.
Speaker 1: Tonight, we have former Homeless star under President Donald Trump in his first term, doctor Robert Marbot to talk about a couple of movies thaties got out and President Trump's latest executive orders. By the way, earlier today in Washington, a major press conference with the President signing executive orders to federalize the Washington d C. Police Department. And in the nonsense and the NonStop crime that is a seed at all speed limits in our nation's capital. There are more murders for one hundred thousand people in Washington, DC than Bogata, Columbia, Mexico City, almost any city you can name, including Baghdad, Iraq. And doctor Robert Marbot will tell you why President Trump's executive orders not only today and the effort towards ending the statute for no cash bail around the country. But the Homeless Executive Orders that he signed a week or two ago are a good step in the right direction for our country and for our nations homeless. And he'll tell us why. Jim Serger, who I last had on the show to talk about jump the nineteen eighty four Van Halen concert book that he wrote about remembrances with his teenage buddies going to see VH in concert, has a new book about nine to eleven. It's called nine to eleven, A Time to Always remember, Salute to service. There's forward by Congressman or former Congressman brad Winstrip I guess. And we have an hour of sports for the out of sorts tonight. Both the wild Man and the fur Ball will join us before twelve o'clock. I hope you'll stick around too. It's a nightcap on a Monday night. And doctor Robert Marbot the subject homelessness and how to stop it, how to fix it, how to get people off the streets.
Speaker 2: That's next. Why start your morning with me? Tom Brenneman, Well, listen.
Speaker 3: Up, Tom, make sure you get the infos you need the interviews you want to hear and leaves you with a satisfied smile on your face.
Speaker 4: Info and interviews you need and a big old smile.
Speaker 2: That's my promise to you.
Speaker 3: Start your day with Tom Brenneman tomorrow morning at five am on seven hundred WLWU.
Speaker 1: Little Miami Brewing has something for everyone. They have my favorite craft brews, perfect views of the Little Miami pizzas, salads, and don't miss the world. As I mentioned at the open, we are talking for the next few minutes with doctor Robert Marbot, who is the former Homelesszar under President Trump in his first administration and also a senior fellow at the Discovery Institute. And doctor Marbot, as I said at the top of tonight's show, the President signed this executive order targeting homelessness in America. And you think this is a great thing not only for the country but for the people who are homeless.
Speaker 5: Right, Yeah, And a lot of people are you know, starting to you know, talk about you know, this sounds like the Japanese in turnments and such, and that is people are just not reading what the executive orders are. And he has two of them out there. One's a national one and one's about what's going on in Washington, DC. And he did a mediac conference just shortly ago about the Washington DC efforts.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mentioned that, and with law enforcement and eliminating I mean, our nation's capital should not be more dangerous than bag Data Raq, and yet it has been over the last couple of years.
Speaker 5: And he is he's making really bold moves now and so he's going to get much more focus on it. Number one. Number two is he's going to stop all these crazy federal grant programs that promote drug use or enhanced drug use. A lot of people have no idea how much money comes from the federal government, and if you're in places like California or Oregon or Washington State, you also have state money going in and they're called quote harm reductions. Well, what harm reduction efforts mean is we're going to help you do your drugs and we hope you won't die as much. And so we're using taxpayers dollars to enable your drug use rather than using taxpayer dollars to get you treatment and recovery. And so he's going to stop the so called harm reduction which I actually think harmful actions. He's going to stop those take that money and put them into treatment and recovery, and to put it in the most simplest way in this country. And this is within the homelessness community and in the general population. We have made it so easy to get high in the United States and so hard to get treatment, and we're now going to flip that on his head and make it easy to get treatment and hard to get high.
Speaker 1: Well, here's just a simple question, and I think I know the answer, doctor Margaret. Why was this not done during President Trump's first administration. You don't hear presidents talk about the homeless that you in this country. You don't hear, I mean through administration after administration. And I would think that maybe the answer to why this didn't get jump started in the first Trump term was, like a lot of other things, it took a back seat to continue to fight just to keep his presidency alive because of all the attacking from the Russian collusion to the impeachments, to the constant badgering, and I mean, it's hard to get any work done. Do you see a difference in the president this time around as far as his focus and drive and at least familiarity with Washington d C. Now that he did not maybe have in the first term.
Speaker 5: Well, I think on the substance and content, nothing has changed. He's thinking the same way, he's the same focus. But I think during the first administration, to some extent, he was trying to be nigh worked with Congress and was hoping they would come along, yet they kept blocking him. This time he's not waiting for Congress. I think that's probably the biggest one. And in the world of homelessness, I spend a lot of time when I went into the Trump administration trying to get senators and congress people to come join us and be a partner in the reforms in doing what we needed to do, and they just dragged their feet. This time he's not waiting for Congress. I think that that's one very big point. Obviously, he had the distractions of COVID, the other distractions you talked about, and the other is Fintnol really wasn't around in twenty seventeen, twenty eighteen. Fintnel really kicks in around twenty twenty one twenty two. That totally changed the landscapes of homelessness in America as well as gang activity cartel activity, Canadian biker gangs and what China's doing, and so Finnel has really changed the game. People are dying on the street twice as fast as they were eight years ago, twice as fast as almost three years ago. And so he's so there's sort of things have gotten worse, that's part of it. And he's just not going to wait for Congress. He's just going to go do what he needs to do.
Speaker 6: Well.
Speaker 1: I think when you just mentioned fentanyl, it made me think, and I think you'll agree with me. I don't know, but it made me think that closing down the border did a lot more than just controlling the flow unvetted population massing through our country illegally. It's affecting crime, it has affected homelessness in this country.
Speaker 2: You mentioned the cartels.
Speaker 1: So the success at securing the border finally has done a myriad of things for this country and allows the president maybe to focus on, Okay, now what we've got left, Let's get these people off the streets. Eh, don't you think?
Speaker 5: I think you're exactly right. And to me, there's nothing more fundamental, absolutely nothing more fundamental to a country of knowing who comes across your border. And what they're bringing. And the media has obviously focused a lot on the people coming across the border illegally, but what they weren't really focused on is what they're carrying with them, what they're bringing with them, what they have, let you know, the plastic bags they've swallowed, or what they're trying to smuggle in or their bags or ice chesses or what they have you know, sewed into their suits or clothes or shirts, and so that there was sort of all always the focus on the people, but not what they were bringing across. And to me, the fentanyl coming across the border in the last five years was just such a game changer that moved it from this is really bad to this is an existential threat to the United States. Think about the fact that more people were dying in fentanyl in about three months than all the wars on terror over the last twenty five years combined, every year added up mine just to give you just that, you know, literally more people have died in Finnyl in the last four and a half years than all American military servicemen and women and the intelligence agencies for the last one hundred years. So if you had a world war two, Korea, Vietnam, Global War on Terror, Afghanistan, Iraq, a few others coast of some of the UN activities. Add up all the fatalities of American servicemen and women for one hundred years. There's more infitinal deaths in the last four and a half years. And so the president gets this as a crisis, and so he's acting like it.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's stark and it's heartbreaking to think about it. And it's, as you mentioned, a great deal of it is totally preventable if we had had a closed border and we had vetting of those people who were coming in and what they were bringing with them.
Speaker 5: It's absolutely, I don't want to call it totally self inflicted. Because the cartels are taking action. China's taking action. Now we have the Canadian biker gangs up in Canada doing what the cartels were doing to the South and so, but we are in charge of our own borders. And the hire president said I'm not going to worry about the borders. He appoints the vice president to be the borders are and she doesn't even go to the border. You know, how do you do that? And they only got there. They really tried to make a change in the last four or five six months, not because it was the right thing to do, because they knew they were going to lose their election if they didn't, and it was really, you know, too late, not enough, and very insincere. And I think people saw through that. The only reason they tried to get tough in that last three or four months was they were losing the election.
Speaker 1: We're talking to former Trump the homeless Zar in the first administration, doctor Robert mar Butt. And since you were consulting the president on this, this was your task in that first term, doctor, what were some of the solutions on outside of drugs, in getting people off the streets and finding them someplace to be besides a tent city in Los Angeles and feces strewn boulevards and the like. What were some of the fixes that you guys considered and looked at.
Speaker 5: And the great news is you've got some examples around the country that are doing great. You got San Antonio, you got Pinel's County, Florida. You got even small places like Fort Smith, Arkansas. And what all of those had in common, they've had about an eighty five percent reduction of homelessness, definitely a reduction in deaths. You know, all the metrics you could use, less people hitting the emergency room, hitting jails. And what they all did was they focused on treatment and recovery rather than enabling drug use. And so that's number one. The number two is they focus on job training, job retention, and not just getting a job, but keeping the job. There are a lot of people pretty good at getting you a job, but then they don't retain it. And so if you can retain a job and deal with your addiction, you will make money. And when you make money, you're able to pay your bills, which includes housing over your head. But I guarantee you if you can't keep a job because of mental health or substance abuse, or you don't have the right skill set for that job, you're not going to make money. And when you don't make money, you're going to lose your car, You're going to lose your housing, you're going to lose your credit card, your your credit rating is going to go to garbage. And now you've got a whole, really big mess that you're trying to deal with.
Speaker 1: Do we need to reopen some mental health facilities in this country?
Speaker 5: I think so. And I don't mean going back to the you know what you envision in the cuckoo nest scenario. But I give a few data points. In nineteen fifty there were approximately a half in million federal, state and local funded mental health behavioral health beds in America. Think about that, a half a million beds funded nationwide, and our country now has thirty thousand beds funded, and they're all forensic beds. And what forensic beds means when you hear somebody that sounds innocent by reason of insanity things, you know, Hinckley, he didn't go he wasn't let out, And that's sort of a myth. A lot of people don't realize that. You don't go to jail, but you go to a forensic state hospital. But they're only thirty thousand of those beds left, so there's no beds left for crisis individuals, people going through crisis. They're all gone. And the left was watching that and Want and the Fluid of the cuckoos Nests and thought it was a documentary. And the place that was a about the one up in New York, a lot in Long Island that needed to be closed, that was a horrible place. That doesn't mean you close down the entire national mental health system, you know, And so I think we got to bring that back. We got to bring we got to focus on treatment and recovery, and we also have to focus on job readiness and job retention.
Speaker 1: It's amazing how something in pop culture like One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest can adversely affect the whole society. And and one or two examples, you know that. It's kind of like, you know, Silkwood came out and they closed all the nuclear power plants, and it's like.
Speaker 2: Why because of a movie?
Speaker 5: Well, well, candidly, that's why I've gotten the documentary business. You know. We we produced fit lit Depth Incorporated in Americans with no address, because I've seen the power of movies. And if and if you're left wing is always producing their angle, and people in the logical middle, common sense, middle of the conservative side of the spectrum aren't also producing movies. Shame on us, because movies seem to move people almost more than a white paper does anymore.
Speaker 1: What is in your studies and research and your own thoughts, what is the percentage of people who are out in the streets homeless because strictly of mental disease, not necessarily away from drugs.
Speaker 5: Well, we know that with metaphysical certainty. The largest study ever done, sixty four thousand people studied on the street is incredible and by the way, not a right wing not Discovery Institute or Heritage or Robert Marbat. It was done by cal Policy Labs. So it's a joint venture of UC Berkeley UCLA largest study ever done. They found three fourths have untreated mental illness. Of course have a substance use disorder, often self medicating, not always that. You know, there's a little group in one but not in the other, but most of it comes together. Three fourths of street level homeless. And so we know that number. And by the way, that research was done before Finnel came along. So I think, if anything, those numbers are higher now.
Speaker 1: Very good or not good, but yeah, you've got the research and the numbers to back it up. Isn't there a small percentage of homeless that don't want to be off the streets?
Speaker 2: Doctor?
Speaker 5: Absolutely, And I don't think it happens in your first day of experiencing homelessness. I don't think you you know, and you're in high school and say, you know, instead of being a doctor, I want to become a homeless guy on the street. But what happens is when you do all this compassion and no accountabilit and people are just giving you stuff, free housing, free food, free clothes, free things, you start in enabling a person to a point where they feel comfortable on the street and they don't want to go through with, you know, the hard withdrawals or the recovery of the substance that people are scared of the recovery process, and we enable people to get there. The way I say it is you have to be compassionate, but you also have to have accountability. And if you do compassion without accountability, you end up enabling homelessness. And so when you start getting being on the street two, three, four, five years or longer, you start going, oh, I've figured this out. I'm comfortable here. I don't have to pay taxes, I don't have to work. People just bring me stuff. And there's definitely a group that sort of settle into that pattern and or not doing anything to get out. And that's why you have to engage this fast, immediately and big, which is exactly what the president's doing.
Speaker 1: Here, Doctor Robert marbt, I appreciate your time. Where can people find your documentary movies that you.
Speaker 5: Mentioned, Well, Finnol Death Incorporated has been picked up by Warner Brothers and you'll be seeing that in the hopefully in the next month or two. You can go to Discovery Institute dot org or Fix Homelessness dot org and see about our writings and in Americans with No Addresses actually out on Amazon right now.
Speaker 1: All right, fantastic, Thanks for your time again, and maybe this is another problem that this president can help solve.
Speaker 5: Well, he's really taking bold action and it's so exciting to see that it is.
Speaker 1: Indeed, let's hope and pray that it works. Thank you again. It's doctor Robert Marbun on the Nightcap and Jim Serger and his book about nine to eleven coming up next till Monday Nightcap in the middle of Red's baseball season. We break to remember in this half hour, the last time I talked to our next guest, he had a book out about he and his buddies going to see Van Halen in the nineteen eighty four tour. And he's very excited because he just told me like I should have known this all ry. David Lee Roth is coming back to Cincinnati on the twenty first at the Casino, and he's trying to find a Yankee Rose to go with him to see David Lee. His name is Jim Serger. He's also an usher for the Reds. But his new book, you know what, Jim, I just got it in the mail Saturday, and thank you for sending me a signed copy. I really appreciate that it's on his Red Bike Publishing LLC company. And to call it a coffee table book does not do it justice, I don't think. Although it is in the style of the great coffee table books, but it's so much more than that, and so much more meaningful than your average coffee table picture book. It's called nine to eleven, A Time to Always Remember, Salute to Service, and there's a forward by Congressman brad Winstrop at the beginning, which I don't think you could have found a more appropriate guy to write your forward for you, and he says, just an excerpt from the forward. As I got the news of the horrific event, my heart was broken. I knew we were going to war, I didn't know in what capacity. Didn't know the timeframe, was not aware of the magnitude of war our country was about to face. But war was an inevitable inevitab villa to be I can't talk now and never villa. You know what I'm saying, sound like Joe Biden, all of a sudden inevitability. I got it out. So anyway, it's a great forward and it sets the stage for this book of remembering. And you opened the book talking about twenty four years ago. It was September eleventh, two thousand and one, on a Tuesday, and you go through it, and then you talk about in the aftermath of that day, Jim, how you were seeing nine to eleven on digital clocks everywhere you looked.
Speaker 2: Is that kind of the spark for this And by the.
Speaker 7: Way, good evening, good even to you, and thank you very much. What a great introduction to this book. Yes, sir, the time nine to eleven. As a matter of fact, I saw it last night. I fall it on the clock on the microwave, right as I was getting ready to pop some popcorn. Nine to eleven. I see it on the radio, I see it on my watch. I can be at a red game just out of no luck at all.
Speaker 8: I looked down and said nine eleven.
Speaker 7: And instantly, when everybody says nine to eleven, who lived through that horrific day twenty four years ago, every single person can explain to you and I and you and me included what happened to us on that day, minute by minute, hour by hour, and the days that followed. But nobody can really tell me what they did on September tenth, other than I went to work, I went to school, visit my mom or what have you. But on nine to eleven, everybody remembers where they were. And that's where I got the idea from this book is we're given seven hundred and thirty times. Possibly you've seen the time nine to eleven, and no matter where you are, take a moment reflect. You know, remember that horrific day. We were united as a country. Everybody was helping each other. Neighbors were helping neighbors. People were talking to New York, Shanksville, Pennsylvania, Washington, d C. How can I be involved? There was nothing else to it. It was the whole commoradity of the United States. We all came together and in this one fo the services all military, they're sharing their name, their deployments and endeavors that followed.
Speaker 2: As I mentioned, the.
Speaker 1: Descriptions by the veterans that you feature in this book talk about their remembrances of that day and how it affected their lives. And the first example is Claire, first Lieutenant Sir for four years. The first line of this is the word commitment comes to my mind when I hear the word September eleventh. It's still as fresh today as it was twenty four years ago. She was a Division one soccer player at a major universe. She did plan on entering OCS with the Marine Corps, but she had a major medical setback and she took a year off and headed up to live with her aunt and uncle at a very remote location. There was no TV, very limited access, no phones, had a summer job. She said, the morning of September eleventh was just beautiful, sunny and terrific weather to start the day. And you know what, that's what I remember, because it was a beautiful day here.
Speaker 6: Now, just in New York City, absolutely gorgeous, you.
Speaker 1: Know, and I had obviously no inkling of what would be happening. At eight forty five in the morning, I got to work at the radio station. We were up on Mount Adams at the time, on September eleventh, two thousand and one, And as soon as I got into the station, a buddy of mine called me. He said where you at and said, I just got to the station he could find a TV. And I found a TV in the newsroom and there was smoke coming out of one of the World Trade Center towers. The first plane had hit. And then just watched in stun silence with everybody else at the radio station. Is the second plane hit the tower? And then it just came down like it was a planned implosion like they doing with the Las Vegas hotels. And I was just in utter shock. And you know, I wasn't on the air for the next three four weeks. I was working at the Fox doing music. We ran ABC News solid for two or three weeks. We weren't on the airplane classic rock. We were just just full out twenty four to seven news all the time in the wake of nine to eleven. And that's what I remember most well. If you can, what do you remember most about that day?
Speaker 7: I was working for Home City Ice at the time. I was on my route in Southeast Indiana, over in Lawrenceburg for sales area, and I was at a little gas station in Napo, Indiana. I mean, they didn't even have a flashing light in this little town. It was like a wild outside basically. And I was filling up the ice box and the woman came out and said one of the towers has been hit in New York. And I don't know, you know, maybe a little fast and I got off route or what have you. I continue to fill up the ice box and I went back inside and she said, now the second one has been hit. And I sat there with her for about five minutes, took it all in, and then I turned on seven hundred and I took them down to Versales IgA and the iceman commas is what they used to say to me all the time.
Speaker 8: I was.
Speaker 7: The iceman comments, you got a cool job, and they ran out there and said, Jim, you need to come inside. And I sat there in the owner's little office for about twenty minutes and we watched everything on full live on the air, and I said, I gotta get going. As I progressed on with my round, I didn't stuff the boxes fall three quarters halfway because more news was coming in and I wanted to get home back to my route in the wilder Kentucky and make it back into Cincinnati. And one woman has a little night in convenience.
Speaker 1: Oh sorry, Jim, Jim, hold on, Jim, hold on, what did you say? Your phone just got really garbly there, he said, one little woman.
Speaker 7: I said, if anything, She said to me, if anything happens, just park your truck here. I'll give you a place to stay for the night. That's great, I said, if anything bad happened. And I was like, that's the hospitality, the pride, the unity of our country right there here. Jeff, she summed it up in two seconds.
Speaker 6: You know. The sad thing is.
Speaker 1: The sad thing is, Jim, it only lasted a very brief time, and we.
Speaker 2: Were right back here.
Speaker 7: No, I mean months and years. People were still giving theirselfs up to New York and digging at grounds zernal. People were still going to DC. People signed up for the military after nine to eleven, people signed up for civil service after nine to eleven? What can it do for my country? And then you're right, it did fade away, you know, slowly, but surely it's almost faded away. Twenty four years ago and that's where we are now. And that's why I've written these three books is we got to keep up prevalent. We got to keep talking about just like December seventh for Pearl Harbor. My uncle Chuck was there that day in the army. Well, he never really shared anything and at the age of eight when he told me, he passed away. So that's a piece of history that he was there. I wish I would have loved to have interviewed him, But that's what these books have done well.
Speaker 5: And you did.
Speaker 1: You mentioned the other book about about nine to eleven. Time to always remember Bond of Firefighters, where you focus on those brave individuals who ran towards the carnage. And how did you go about finding the different individuals that are interviewed in this book and the Firefighter's Book. Where did you find them and how did you get them to agree to do the interviews on something that's obviously a very very sensitive subject for many of us.
Speaker 7: Still, Well, the keyword is how did I get him to do it? Is tunnel to towers, what they do across the United States. That was the keyword. And when people say you're not going to make any money off of this, your royalties is going to them. I'm one hundred percent on board. Well, I called a fire station up in Manhattan. I told them who I was. I presented them with my first book, so then they knew I was legit. And then they contacted me with somebody and then somebody else said you need to call him. Somebody else said you need to call her. You need to call this guy and this girl and this guy and I went back and forth, and then I was able to build the book with firefighters sharing their nine to eleven story at ground zero. You talk about moving. Oh my goodness to hear what they were sharing to me, And most of it is in the book. Some of it couldn't make it in there. It's very graphic. But the cell that some of these guys and girls still have to this day of pulverized concrete. Some of them said they can't go around concrete because immediately it triggers Ground zero immediately. So it's just a great book to bring out the best of America. That's really how I can explain it. There's a gentleman in there that stopped everything here in Kentucky area and drive all the way up to ground zero. He made it there on September thirteenth, and he swept on the sidewalk for five six days while he dug at ground zero. And that's what all these firefighters did in the book.
Speaker 8: What can I do to help?
Speaker 7: I'm there? You need a fire truck, bar ours, you need another pickup truck? Here, hammers, you need more hoses? What do you need? You can take it. We don't need to back just take it. I mean, the outward pore of love two Ground zero is just something that we will always always remember. We can never forget that in three hundred and fourty three firefighters perish in one day, and now more firefighters and parish of the hazardous conditions of nine to eleven than actually not on nine eleven. Yeah, so that's tremendous undertaking.
Speaker 1: A big, big, sad legacy of that day. You served four years in the Navy, yourself, thank you for your service.
Speaker 2: That did it?
Speaker 1: Did it occur to you that maybe you were kind of re up when you got the news? I mean, did that ever come into your mind? And it's okay if it didn't, I just I think about you, you know, it did.
Speaker 7: It's everything that everybody if you're part of you know, police or EMT or in the military. It's that camaradity, that bond of helping out somebody else and being a part of something greater than ourselves. Absolutely lutely it did. And you know, I was almost thirty years old, and I thought about it, and you know I would have been through the reserves at the time, and I never pulled the trigger. But you know, my wife and I at the time, you know, sent some care packages up there, donated some stuff to the fire department and let them know how much we appreciate them here locally, because you know the guys here in Cincinnati or New York or what have you, everybody was dropping everything and headed up there in any fashion we it mail it, ship it, or actually in person. So anything we could do help out. But now here we are, twenty four years later, we've got three books helping them out. And I can't thank everybody who's been a part of all these books, the first one, the second one, and now it's just very uplifting that people still want to give back and we still remember nine to liven here. It's just part of our history. It's what you and I will always remember where we were you described to me five ten minutes ago. Everybody remembers where they were, who they spoke to, what they're dating, like like you just said, it was beautiful, a beautiful almost like a Simpsons type video. That's how gorgeous for these people described it to me.
Speaker 2: My wife was a firefighter EMT.
Speaker 5: She was not.
Speaker 1: I don't know if she was active in two thousand and one. Still she had a back injury. It kind of precluded her from continuing that work. But that's what she loved to do. And every time, every year for the last twenty four years, that day she is somber. She watches the memorial and still cries or sheds a tear at least, So I know what that's like. For the connection, as you mentioned the connection. You were in the navy, so you had a connection to people that serve, and anybody who's a police or a fireman or an EMT has a connection to the people on that day, September eleventh, two thousand and one.
Speaker 5: Correct.
Speaker 1: And it's more than it's more than just an emotional connection that passes. It's a lifetime that never really leaves you. So I can't imagine if you were not only there on that day in New York City at ground zero, but then fought in the ensuing wars in Afghanistan, in Iraq. It's something that that day, that particular day, will always be remembered by them. It's important that the rest of us remember that day, Jim. And that's where you're.
Speaker 7: Absolutely yes, sir, yes, sir. We don't want it to fade away. We need to keep your front and center. And that's why I remind everybody nine to eleven. If you see it on your watch, share where you were with the person next to it, and allow them to share where they were. It's a nice little connection of pride and cammoradoty at the same time. You know, do it again the next day after again, you know, do it every day.
Speaker 1: The new book by Jim is nine to eleven a time to always remember, a salute to service again the Foreward by brad Winstrup, who obviously served our nation as an army colonel and in Congress, and is now you know, I guess gotten smart and gotten out of.
Speaker 2: Washington, d C. After issue.
Speaker 1: But Jim, it's it's a pleasure to talk to you again. And great success with the book, I know, you're raising money for a tunnel to towers with it correct, Yes, sir.
Speaker 7: That is correct, some of the towers TTT dot org.
Speaker 2: All right, fantastic.
Speaker 1: Well, I look forward to cracking it open a little bit more after tonight. And like I said, it's not just not just your run of the mill coffee table book. It's something that you will treasure if you pick it up.
Speaker 7: And people can do that how Jim, Yes, sir, Jim Serger dot com or Barnes and Noble, Joseph Target anywhere.
Speaker 2: Yes, fantastic, Thank you so much, sir, have a good night.
Speaker 7: Thank you Grey Jeff. I appreciate you too, sir.
Speaker 1: You bet an hour of sports for the out of sorts just ahead as we continue this nightcap on seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thank you, Doctor Klass. Does anyone have any questions for the optometriss logan?
Speaker 1: If I push my eyeball into my skull, could I see my brain?
Speaker 9: Sometimes you'd rather have someone else take on the tough questions.
Speaker 2: That's when you listen to Scott Sloan.
Speaker 8: Look, I'm about the real stuff, the problems and the issues that actually affect you.
Speaker 9: But I also make sure we have a Little Fun on pay check Out Sloaning tomorrow morning at nine on seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 1: Kelsey is the pre eminent sports voice to this day. Even at his advanced age, he is a man of a certain age, which means he gets a little crustier than the rest of us sometimes. Uh and he apparently is in one of those kinds of moods. Now, the one and only Andy Furman joins us once again from his car. This is becoming a regular thing. Were you just lying to me when you said you lived in your car? Are you telling the truth?
Speaker 8: Andy, I live in I leave the first. Let me talk a sage, bull. Okay, Chronological age is a lot different than mental age. I made the old chronologically in the mind of sub not many, but mentally I'm as good as a fifteenth to eighteen to twenty one year old.
Speaker 6: Okay.
Speaker 8: It's all between the ears, all right, That's what it's all about. It's all between the years. And I still have it, Thank god, I still have So so let's get going. So would you with the athlete?
Speaker 1: Would you talk with Would you take a cognitive test? Joe Biden wouldn't? Donald Trump did? Would you take a cognitive.
Speaker 8: I go to the doctor twice a year. Doctor Barry Brook is the best doctor in Cincinnati. I looked at death. Everything is good, Thank goodness. I'm okay. I take my vitamins every day and I do eleven miles on the bike every single day.
Speaker 2: How's your cholesterol?
Speaker 8: Everything is good. The one thing I have a problem with My blood pressure is low way that way?
Speaker 2: Do you have a little blood for I don't believe that.
Speaker 8: For Yeah, doctor told me I'm a little bit of low blood pressure. Not to get it up a little bit. So when I talk to you, I get my blood pressure up a little bit. That's why I do it.
Speaker 1: It's all for your health, to benefit Andy Furman's health.
Speaker 2: That's what it is.
Speaker 8: You call me.
Speaker 2: I'm alic healer. Okay, what is it?
Speaker 8: Okay? The question of the day as we approach football. We're about twelve fourteen days away from college football at September fourth, the NFL opens. Okay. The question is to play to play? That is the question. I want to know why this has never been brought up before, and I'm gonna bring it up now. College football but a thing by the bank. There's no preseason games. They can't right into it, and they play the NFL. They got to have preseason games. And there's two reasons why. Number one, they evaluate talents for sure, the guys that they drafted the pre agency. And number two, it's a money graft for the owners. That's why they do it. I don't think they need to do it because when they play for when they play preseason games, what happens you sort of Detroit games the other night the Lions guy went down, went down, the running back went down, got hit. They stopped the game. The game was called with six minutes to go. To think these guys are falling like flies. That's number one. Number two the regulars don't play anyway to not getting the workout. So what's the preseason games. I don't get it.
Speaker 1: I think that your number two is actually the number one reason they play the preseason games and some money grab for owners. You know, they charge the same price for a preseason ticket that they for fake with Paul that they charge for a regular season ticket in the NFL.
Speaker 8: I know it's part of the season ticket package.
Speaker 1: Yes, I understand this, and it's absolutely ludicrous for them to put the cart in front of the horse and say it's to evaluate talent, you know what you've got. By the first couple of weeks of training to go down, you know what you've.
Speaker 2: Got, and you know Yeah.
Speaker 8: I'm not just saying this because I'm saying it. I'm saying this as a post of my guys, Bucky Brooks, who played at the NFL for five years and I work with them on Fox Sports Radio. I said, Fucky, why did I do this? He says, you know what, the roster's fifty three guys. Right, there's about forty eight guys already decidedly on the roster, so the evaluation is really not that big a deal. They got forty eight and the fifty three in their minds, they know who's going to be on that roster. Maybe one or two guys because of injury or whatever it may be, may have a great preseason they can get on the roster. But other than that, the roster's basically.
Speaker 1: Said, how about adding more regular season games? They already did that once they took them on one preseason and added a regular season game.
Speaker 8: That answers your question again, it's another money grab. Why are they gonna do it? Let me tell you it's so hypocritical. They keep on talking about injuries. Okay, they want to make it safer for the players. You know what, more games means four potential injuries, So why are you giving them more games? You know what they did last week? They had to vote, get this to head a vote. The players wanted to continue to use smelling salts in the NFL. Okay, George Kittle uses spelling sauce the tight end of the forty nine is almost on every single play. He says it, he admits it. So the players Association had to vote, and the players balked about this. They're gonna let them use smelling saalts now. Now they could use smelling salts to get smelling smot to use for if you use bot you watch a boxing match, Yeah, and the guy gets banged in the head and gets a little groggy. They put him under his nose. But the thing better bang day ago. You know, he's back in the ring. Why they didn't want to have smelling salts being used in the NFL is of course they thought that it may very well be true. They thought of masked concussions, and it probably does. It probably does.
Speaker 1: But was that what Stanley Wilson was looking for? The night of the night before the Super Bowl was smelling salts.
Speaker 8: Andy, he's looking for He's looking for the good stuff. He look for the good stuff. The stuff that you use.
Speaker 6: That's the stuff I haven't.
Speaker 1: I haven't used those kinds of smelling salts for years. So, uh, no, more dispersions upon my character.
Speaker 8: What so you get that in the corner of Liberty and Vine about midnight, that's who you get that stuff.
Speaker 1: I don't go to Liberty and Vine in the middle of the day much less maybe no.
Speaker 8: Oh, okay, I'm just saying if anybody wants that as a.
Speaker 2: Sow do you know how do you know? That's what I've read.
Speaker 8: I read about Yeah, I've read about the reports, the arrests and things like that at that area.
Speaker 1: Any any NFL players have used a lot of different substances to mask pain to stay in the game. I don't think smelling salts are going to increase the level of CTE and brain injuries.
Speaker 2: That the football. The football is a.
Speaker 1: Game, as you well know from covering it for years, Andy, that is is it's it's a magnet.
Speaker 2: It is just by the nature of what football is.
Speaker 1: And they keep trying to change it and make it safer and water it down.
Speaker 2: And I'm not in favor of that.
Speaker 1: You know, Let the let the guys you know, brave it out, battle it out, and you know when when they're over there over you know, football players.
Speaker 2: I'd love to see this. I saw this stat once.
Speaker 1: The average life expectancy of an NFL player is extremely shorter than the average life expectancy of an adult male in this country, which is now down to about seventy four to seventy five. I think NFL players have an average life expectancy in the late fifties, early sixties, you know, But.
Speaker 8: You're exactly right. The joke of the matter is with the smelling sort situation, the NFL and the players Association, they agreed now that yeah, the players can use smelling souls. Get this, Get this now, if they could, if they bring their own, if you bring your own smelling souls to the game, you could use them. You know, they wanted to have them bands. I mean, you know, with him right right, let me tell you you're talking about breaking it out. You know, you just hit something that really strikes being really funny. You know, back in the day, I used to love when they played football in the snow, and the snow would cover the lines on the field. That was football. Right then they started playing games in dome stadiums. You don't think teams that play in domes have an advantage. You don't think that Peyton Manning had an advantage when he played in Indianapolis and the dome. You know what, they should ban domes? Should ban dome football. Really. I get it for the fans comfort. That's great. For the game itself, it wasn't made to play indoors. It's an outdoor game. You know, guys in Green Bay have it a lot worse than guys that play in Tampa. And they don't have a dome obviously, well Miami because of the climate. But you're playing the dome. That's one heck of an advantage, don't you agree.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if I want to watch arena football, I'll drive to Lexington or Paduca or something. I don't think that that whole environment belongs in the National Football League.
Speaker 2: Just for fan comfort.
Speaker 1: And the domes are in places where, you know, a lot of times the only issue is the sun's too damn bright. You know, they don't have a dome in Green Bay, Wisconsin, do they? They don't have a dome in Chicago at a Soldier Field.
Speaker 2: They don't.
Speaker 1: They got domes in Minnesota. But you know, those people in Minnesota are are incredibly weak. I mean, do they elected governor for example, the guy the guy stay in the lane, the guy.
Speaker 8: Who put the politics.
Speaker 1: The guy who puts tampons in boys bathrooms in high schools, and you know the governor of Minnesota soda. Of course they've got a dome stadium there for those softies.
Speaker 8: Jeez, I can't connect that. I don't get it. I understand what the connection is, but that's okay. I'm not going to argue. I really don't. I don't know what you try to do.
Speaker 1: So you like you like you like the elements, the natural elements, because they are in essence for you, a part of the game.
Speaker 2: I get it, and I no doubt, and I agree with you.
Speaker 7: I don't like.
Speaker 8: I don't like sitting in them. I'm not I'm not gonna go to Green Bay to see a game in November of December, but I enjoy watching it on TV. That's way it should be. I mean, that's football, it really is.
Speaker 1: NFL is a TV sport. Andy, and you know, and and.
Speaker 2: It's it's so popular, it's.
Speaker 1: So popular that we can watch it from the domed comfort of our living rooms. The hell with the people who are paying two hundred dollars or three hundred dollars for a ticket and braving the elements.
Speaker 8: Well, for the time being, at the TV sport where not an ESPN that's taking over the NFL that work, and there's gonna be allowed to pay for a view deals. I think they're gonna kill a goose that laid the golden egg. You know, sometimes less is more. I've always believe that less it's probably more. And in an NFL situation, you got it good, you really do. You got it great. You know, the number one sport if you were to judge popularity of sports in our country right now, it's NFL football A, and I would say college football B.
Speaker 7: That's basically where we're.
Speaker 8: At right now in our country.
Speaker 2: Where's baseball rank? Where's baseball rank? On your list?
Speaker 8: Baseball? I think baseball and the NBA basketball probably two. They're very close, they're close by. I don't know, I don't know what baseball is. I just think that baseball maybe too long, maybe the season is too long. I don't know. You play all those hundred and sixty two games and then you go into a long, long, gated playoffs system. What are you trying to prove? I mean, really, back in the day, when I had sixteen teams, you know who was the best in the American League, who was the best in the National League? They played each other in the World Series. Now you play one hundred and sixty two, you got a wildcard, you got a mixtra wild card. And really and truly who's the best? Who? You know?
Speaker 1: Really?
Speaker 8: I don't understand?
Speaker 1: And the playoffs and the playoffs aren't the playoffs aren't over. The World Series isn't over until November.
Speaker 8: What the right, no doubt, and it could be in a cold ponas. But here's the funny thing also that the highlight of the baseball season playoffs. That World Series comes almost the same time concurrently as when the NFL starts. And that's why baseball gets bury because they can't compete with the NFL. No one can of a Christmas Day. It used to be the NBA was big on Christmas Day to get about. The NFL's got games on Christmas Day, so all over the NBA really.
Speaker 1: I remember as a kid, as a teenager on Christmas Day, we'd all be there waiting for we had we had our presence in the morning, we still had presents. We're waiting on dinner, and the NBA games would be on, and we we'd sit and we'd watch the Knicks and whoever they were playing, of the Pacers, and and we'd watch about the first half, and then at halftime we'd go out on the court and play basketball, my brothers and I for and we'd forget about the rest of the game. We would come in as the game was dwindling down there, but it was a It kind of sparked us to go out and get some actual exercise, which we were we were doing because we weren't.
Speaker 2: We weren't stud.
Speaker 1: Which we weren't stuck on our mobile device all damn day long looking at a screen.
Speaker 8: Here's the deal, I mean, the end of BA I is really stuck in quickstand. I haven't done anything to kind of do anything for the fans. I mean by that. The NHL became very promotional minded when they got that day New Year's Day, when they played the game outdoors. Was that great. They had a lot of people they had one last year in Columbus who was tremendous. Okay, I suggested this to the NBA. I wrote to Adam Silver the letter. I'd never heard from him. I mean, you know, honestly, I get it off my chance, but I'd never hear from people. I said, Adam, you know what you need to do. You need to do a Christmas Day to go combat. The NBA have Phoenix play Miami, which is warm climates, play outdoors in Miami. So I have a Phoenix Suns playing in Miami heat outdoors in Miami on Christmas Day? Why not something different? People will go, They want to be there. That's just basically what it is. And by the way, speaking of writing letters or whatever, have you heard on your poll when I said to you we chatted and I wrote for the mayor was undercover cops? What have you heard about that kind of curved the violence in our town?
Speaker 6: Well?
Speaker 1: I think that most people most people in response to that, Andy say, you know what, we don't need more cops. We need the cops that are allowed to do their job, and we need prosecutors that do their job, and the criminals need to stay in jail.
Speaker 8: Oh, Shaun't you tell me.
Speaker 1: What you broke up. What did you say, God, I hate when you're in your car. What did you say, Andy, Oh, don't do that.
Speaker 8: More cops having a segment of the I was true, It's true. You're doing it to me. I mean, come on, you said you'd let me know. Maybe next week. Maybe next week, you'll let me know. All right, don't get more costs. You mean more cost that's gonna take allowt six months. But the existing force right now have a division that will be undercover and over the rhine.
Speaker 1: How about having more cops than three for the entire city of Cincinnati after three am the night of a huge event like the music festival.
Speaker 2: How about that? What do you think.
Speaker 8: I'm with you. I'm not the police chief.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 8: I don't know how that happens.
Speaker 6: But you would be better.
Speaker 1: You would be better than the current police chief of Cincinnati. And you have no law enforcement experience. Andy, that's how bad things are.
Speaker 8: You would do I do have law enforcement experience. To be honest with you, I got I once got a speeding ticket, I got a parking ticket. So there you go.
Speaker 1: No, No, that's that's enforcing the law on you. That's not enforcing the laws on the books, on on the citizenary.
Speaker 2: That's different.
Speaker 1: Are you have you gotten a skating ticket so far today?
Speaker 8: Well, you know what, I wouldn't consider the speedy ticket. I got a speeding ticket. He stopped me, said, I rolled through a stop sign. So I just that's speeding, right, I went nuts years.
Speaker 1: Ago, California. California. Role is for sushi only, not for driving.
Speaker 2: Stop right.
Speaker 1: You know, it's just like it's just like when you're with a woman, Andy, stop means stop. It doesn't mean it means stop. That's right. Stop means stop, no mean no.
Speaker 8: I wish my wife would have said that years ago. Why, I don't know. I don't even know why I said. I hope she's not listening.
Speaker 2: I'm sure she's not. She's got a lot more sense.
Speaker 8: Because he's watching some TVs. She's watching that Gilded thing on HBO, that series. I can't get involved with that stuff.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 8: I start watching stuff on the on the platforms like Netflix or you know whatever it may be, all all those things that we haven't I started, I don't finish it because I'm again where I started it from. CAW I get it on Apple. Did I get it on Netflix? I forgot where I found it, so I never finish it.
Speaker 6: Problem.
Speaker 1: I am sick and tired of these Apple TV baseball games too, Andy driving me nuts.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm.
Speaker 1: Already paying enough to Spectrum so I can get fan duel, and now I can't. I gotta have an app, an Apple app to watch baseball games.
Speaker 2: I don't think so. Just listen on the air.
Speaker 8: He used to be just HBO was the bigg Remember back in the day it was just HBO. Yeah, I like HBO? I like Bill Maher. Do you like Bill Maher? I really enjoy watching it. But he's fair. He goes both ways. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: He's well, yeah, you you you do like people that go both ways?
Speaker 2: I know this about you.
Speaker 8: There you go again. Why do you have to attack me? Do you what do you care about my person? What do you care about my personal life?
Speaker 2: I don't want to know.
Speaker 1: I don't want to know about your personal life. I I feel like I hear too much about your personal life as it is. And by the way, you stop, stop stop sending my wife those text pictures. Stop mean stop, Andy, don't I got.
Speaker 8: Clothes on my clothes are on. It's just different outfits that I wanted to judge.
Speaker 1: It's the kind of clothes you're wearing. Andy, They're very revealing, and I don't appreciate it, and she doesn't appreciate it either.
Speaker 8: Well, you know what, let me until I hear from her, they will continue because direct from.
Speaker 1: Upset, upsetting, jealous, You're you're gonna get a call in the next five minutes.
Speaker 2: I guarantee it. It won't be from me.
Speaker 8: Okay, what's on your mind? Let's get come and get started.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 6: What's on your mind.
Speaker 1: What's on my mind now is we need to we need to conclude this.
Speaker 2: We're done.
Speaker 8: It's over started with rolling here. You know what, I need to come in the studio for three hours one night.
Speaker 2: I would love for that to happen. Will you do that?
Speaker 6: Will you come?
Speaker 1: Will you commit to do that? You commit to do that right now? All right, I'm gonna hold you to that.
Speaker 7: Next, I want dinner.
Speaker 8: I don't get that. I want dinner though.
Speaker 2: Okay, you'll have to eat what I eat.
Speaker 8: Yes, I'm saying, you've you've prepared that, you're a good cook, you're a chef.
Speaker 2: I know that, all right, all right, Andy, you got it all right.
Speaker 9: Open up our live stream on the iHeartRadio app and take a look at the screen. You see that little red circle with a microphone on it. That's our talkback feature. Push it and send us your thoughts on the current topic, something that you think we should discussed, or just let us know how much you can't live without us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the talkback feature.
Speaker 9: Check it out on seven hundred wlw's live stream on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 6: We believe in.
Speaker 1: Movie sports Commando of the original by the way, wild Man, Hello, how are you don't good?
Speaker 6: All right? Good?
Speaker 2: Good? Uh o?
Speaker 6: Case of the Good? Okase of the Good?
Speaker 1: On Local Go on Local twelve on their arc show that's on in the morning with the Bob Herzog and Jen Dalton. They do this kind of casual and they ask a question every day at the end of the the end of the show post and then they come back with the answers the next day. And the question for this particular day was who's your all time favorite radio personality? And and you know, all the choices they could have made, I wasn't any of the choices they showed, because you know, they don't want to give me any publicity, but someone, and I forget who it was, said wild Man Walker when he has to be wild Man Walker when he got up on that billboard, and they were talking about that a little bit after, about what a wonderful publicity stunt that was and how it projected you into the spotlight that Bengals season and led to everything else that you were doing. So I just wanted you to know that that you have been mentioned now on Local twelve as someone's favorite all time radio personality.
Speaker 2: I mean, Jim Scott, go ahead, yeah, Hell.
Speaker 6: The folks of Local twelve.
Speaker 4: Were good to me anyway, because they really helped me out in promoting my book. I released it in twenty twenty, twenty twenty one.
Speaker 1: I really help you out in promoting your book. I helped you sell coffees in my bar.
Speaker 2: What are you talking about?
Speaker 4: Yes he did, Yes he did, But I know I did a couple of interviews about my book there.
Speaker 6: Hey, hey, Gary, Jeff.
Speaker 4: There's two things at EBN that did that people will never forget in this town.
Speaker 6: One is the fireworks and one is the billboard.
Speaker 4: Those are the two best promotions in the history of that radio station.
Speaker 2: That is it is still to this day.
Speaker 4: We're talking nineteen ninety one, we're talking what thirty four years ago, and people still remember.
Speaker 1: That, no doubt about it. And it was memorable and it was it was a stunt that people came. Oh, I wanted to tell you too. Next Sunday. I know that you're kind of a you're kind of a Beatles fan, right, kind of.
Speaker 4: A big Beatles fan, kind of a Beatle I saw them twice, and.
Speaker 1: You know I did. I did Breakfast with the Beatles for years on the fun.
Speaker 6: Yes, you did on Sunday mornings and never had me off. But that's okay.
Speaker 1: This coming Sunday, we're doing a recreation of the anniversary parties we used to throw at halps Irish Pub there on Erie in Hyde Park.
Speaker 2: We're gonna be there.
Speaker 1: We're gonna be there with Beatlemaniacs next Sunday from noon to two. If you'd like to come out, Breakfast is free. They're doing it HAPs. Perhaps you've been to HAPs before.
Speaker 2: I know you have.
Speaker 6: It's been a while, but I have been there.
Speaker 4: So there's hardly any watering hole in this town that I haven't been in.
Speaker 1: Well, I know I've seen some of your snail tracks anyway.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we used to do these.
Speaker 1: Danny Thomas and the gang at Halps used to host our live broadcast on Sunday morning once a year, the anniversary of the August nineteen sixty six Crosley Field show. Yes, and we invited people who were at that show to come to these reunion parties, and it grew into it an annual thing. Every year in August, we'd be at HAPs and we'd have a Beatles Palooza, and we're gonna recreate some of those memories this coming Sunday, August seventeenth.
Speaker 2: I just wanted to mention it while we had.
Speaker 6: Time, alrighting, I just wrote it down, okay.
Speaker 1: And I saw a news story that you also saw. I'm demanding justice for Peanut the Squirrel. I don't know if anybody remembers Peanut the Squirrel. Peanut the Squirrel was a I don't know. It was a TikTok or a YouTube viral video, and it was this squirrel who did all kinds of different activities. He was very, very popular on the internet, a social media superstar. And the family in New York State was subject to this aggression by the state Wildlife Offices of New York. And I think it was some karen in the Wildlife office who saw how much fun they were having with their pet squirrel, Peanut. They decided to take the squirrel. They kidnapped the squirrel and euthanized it based on a rabies possibility, a rabies threat. The family also had a pet raccoon that neither one of them were rabid after they put them down. But the Karens of New York State Wildlife decided these people were having too much fun with their pet squirrel and gaining too much notoriety. And now they are suing the state of New York. And I hope they they get. I hope they get Kathy Hochel's salary plus out of this lawsuit to teach these Karens a lesson the left is always like this wild Man.
Speaker 2: If I had this discussion with Furman, he said.
Speaker 1: Why do you always go to politics because it affects people's lives. Andy, just like the family of Peanut the squirrel, Your thoughts if any.
Speaker 4: Well, it's obvious that they are. They didn't want them to have any fun. I mean when they took when they took the right and It wasn't It wasn't a safety issue at all, because how long had they had that squirrel and the raccoon. You know, raccoons can't be tamed.
Speaker 6: But they had the.
Speaker 4: Squirrel in the raccoon. It wasn't nothing about a safety issue. It was an issue. Didn't probably getting too much publish city and somebody just trying to get their name out there, you know, going to be a hard ass. You know, let's let's get let's get these two animals and because they might bite.
Speaker 2: Somebody a rabies resky yeah.
Speaker 6: Rabies, oh my god. Yeah, just you they get a million dollars.
Speaker 1: You you've been you've been with more rabid women than peanut the squirrel. I mean, I know, not the truth. Yeah, that's oh boy, that's how pet came along. So anyway, let's uh, let's talk a little football. What's going on. What do you think about the first preseason game? I call it fake football?
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 2: This past week with the Bengals, it.
Speaker 6: Is like watching paint dry all three of the games.
Speaker 4: But for the first game against the Eagles, I got no complaints about the offense. Joe moved them down the field. We didn't have everybody in there just seck he wasn't in there. There was a couple other guys that were not in there in there, but.
Speaker 6: The offense moved the ball.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's obvious he's got that rapport with Jamal Chase and and and Higgins. That's going to be I mean, I've said it before and I'll say it again. This team public can scored forty points a game. They're gonna have the defense keep it. Yeah, can the defense, you know, hold the other team down? Now for the defense, Now for the I also want to say thirtin stream quarterback right now, Desmond Rinter, uh, you know, played very well. Now I know it was kens a bunch of scrubs, but he played very well. And there was a chance that he might he might just end up as the number two guy and they may Chase, they may trade Jay Browning, you know, for a draft pick. There's something down the road because because Taylor zacked him, you know, really likes in a Desmond Redder. He he helped, you know, bring him to UC when Taylor is at UC.
Speaker 6: But let's get back to the defense. The defense was not good.
Speaker 4: It was not good. Tackling was well. That needs a lot that's a lot to be desired.
Speaker 1: Let me tell you, it's a damn good idea.
Speaker 2: Tackling.
Speaker 4: Yeah, a lot to be desired there. Again, they didn't have a lot of their guys in there. And Al Golden the defensive coordinator, let's not get all worked up here after just one exhibition game. He's not going to show their defensive scheme entirely. You don't do that kind of stuff early on and the guys. So let's everybody just, you know, calm down a little bit and then let's us see. Let's see what Al Goldie can do with this defense. They've got to be better than last year. A Schamar Stewart. Now, with a little bit limited time that he was in there, he looked like he played pretty well. He looked like he played pretty well. Trey Henderson, he's got to get in there. He's got to get in there soon because the longer he waits, as longer it's going to take for him to get in game shape, and that can.
Speaker 6: Result in injury. They ain't gonna be worth of damned anybody.
Speaker 1: To be honest with you, twenty nine sacks or not, I don't think he's worth the damn right now because of this stupid holdout and this over inflation of self worth that has when there's still room on the contract. I know, he's at the end of his career and he's trying to get as much money as he possibly can, and he's got to please his agent and all the rest of this nonsense. He just needs to shut the hell up. He needs to get on the field. He needs to go ahead and just play this season and then the Bengals can be rid of him, because I really don't think he's that important to the improvement of their defense, regardless of all the sacks that he had, but seven of which came in what three games. There was an awful lot of sacks that came in two or three games of that twenty nine, And those sacks did not help the Bengals get to the playoffs, did they.
Speaker 2: No? They did not.
Speaker 6: No, they did not.
Speaker 4: But I think with the emergency of Shamar Stewart, that will help Henderson, you know, be more of a force on the outside, and that's what they need. But let's get let's let's get him in camp Man's somehow, some way. He's not gonna sit out the season. I mean, he can say that all he wants. He's not going to turn down seventeen million dollars. His wife will divorce him.
Speaker 6: Like right now, there's no way he's gonna turn down seventeen million dollars. He's gonna play.
Speaker 4: But my worry is when he finally decides, Okay, I'm in camp. Well, he hasn't had that much practice, and that a lot of times that results in a groin injury or a hip injury, could be anything.
Speaker 6: So he needs to get there. He goes, well, I'm seeing him do right now, to stand on the sidelines. I haven't seen him.
Speaker 4: Jog anywhere, jog off the field. He walks up the veil waveman to the fans. So I mean, hopefully he'll get in there. But let's not get all worked up over one exhibition game that the defense is gonna, you know, give up one hundred points this year.
Speaker 6: Let somebody just calm down a little bit. Just let Al Golden do his thing. That's what they brought him in there.
Speaker 1: Just just remember the last time we saw Al Golden in charge of a defense, his defense was getting embarrassed in the college football player.
Speaker 2: Hey, now, hey, hey, that's true.
Speaker 4: That's that's yesterday's news, yesterday's yeah, all right, let's move on to the Reds. Okay, eight and a half out of the wild card. They're still there. They're still hanging in there. The Mets have gone into a free fall a game and a half on the wild card. But look who comes to town. The Philadelphia Phillies. They lead they the NL East. They've got something, they got the best probably starting rotation in baseball. The Reds of lucked out. They will not see Zach Wheeler. And then here come the Brewers with the best record in baseball. They may never ever lose again.
Speaker 1: I saw highlights of the brew crew and their their game yesterday on Sports Center this morning. They are just that. That's a machine. That team is just un friggin believable.
Speaker 4: And if you stopped, if you stopped a hundred people and ask him the name, you have two other Milwaukee Brewers other than Christian Yellis, They probably couldn't tell you who they are. They really couldn't tell you who they are, who those guys are, but they're playing outstanding baseball and Milwaukee. I mean as much as I hate Bud Seay because that's where you know where he lives and he was the owner of the Brewers Milwaukee. What that would do for that city that it ever win a World Series title? Hunter Green? Oh yeah, Hunter Green is back with the Red. That's a good thing. But his groin injury, he says, he's okay. Two outings at Triple Away Louisville. How we looking, eleven innings, eleven runs, But that's Trip Away Hunter game. We'll pitch on Wednesday and we'll see where he's at with this groin injury. Because with Nicolodolo down now for you know, for almost May, maybe a month, they need Hunter Green to step up and give him a couple of good outings. And one more thing here for you. What did you think about the female umpire that Major League Baseball brought in to umpire two games with the Marlins and the Braves.
Speaker 1: The umpire I didn't see it. I didn't see any of the highlights. What did you think?
Speaker 4: Okay, Well, I think it's great for Major League Baseball. It's long overdue when guys like C. B. Buttner, Andy has Das who were like terrible umpires, especially colin balls and strikes. You know, Jen Powell, you know, why not give her a chance, and she's worked her way up through the ranks. I mean, she's started at the bottom and worked their way up through the ranks. And I know she's not gonna be a Robin umpire, but from what I read this morning, she got high marks from the Braves manager working behind the plate.
Speaker 1: Well here's the thing, wild man, they can't do any worse than the lot as you just mentioned that they've got right now. I have watched so many games where the home plate umpire has zero idea where the strike zone is. It's changing the entire game. It's not consistent. And you know, I can't wait for the Balls and Strikes robot to kick in next year because it's going to solve a lot of problems. And it's you know, for the Reds particularly, they've been victims more often than a lot of other teams have really bad ball and strike calling at the home plate, especially they're pitchers, and I cannot wait for that to finally be corrected. I was against it at first because I'm like, you know, umpires are part of the natural element of the game. It's a it's a variable, the human variable. You've got to allow for that. But not after this year. After this year. I have watched so many bad called games at the at the home Plate that I'm ready for a woman, a robot, anything other than the lot we've got right now, your thoughts, I.
Speaker 4: Really don't like the robot umpire. I mean, I can live with it, but to me, it's the human factor. They're taking too much out of the human factor of the game. And if you know, if you're allows the umpire, you get replaced.
Speaker 6: It's like at work, if you don't do your job, you might get fired.
Speaker 4: And that some of these umpires have no business being in the major leagues.
Speaker 6: Ce B Butner is a terrible umpire, not only at home Blade, but on the basis.
Speaker 4: And he's got a hot temper. Yes, Das has a hot temper. They think people come there to see them umpire. And there's a few other ones in there. If you're not cutting it, you get rid of them, and you bring up other umpires who've been working their asses off down in the minor leagus. There's going to be some their umpires that are much better than those guys.
Speaker 6: And asked for Pam asked for Jen Powell.
Speaker 4: Like I said, she's worked her way up and and I earned a shot from what I understand. You know, she did well at first base, which was it's not a tough that's not a tough job. But umpiring, she she did okay on balls and strikes, and hopefully they'll move her around and she'll get more opportunities. I mean, look, the NBA they brought up, they got they've got women referees.
Speaker 2: Now, right, and the NFL does.
Speaker 6: The NFL's got women aligne judges and that. So it's a major league baseball here they are.
Speaker 4: They're always like, you know, dragging, you know, dragging their feet to do anything, you know, anything different.
Speaker 6: Always got to be the last in line.
Speaker 4: But this is a good step forward and maybe there'll be other female umpires and other you know girls out there. You know they are seeing there saying, hey, I want to be an umpire in the major leagues and won't it can't hurt, can't hurt the game. But after the you know, the robot umpire, I'm not a big fan of it. I know they're coming, Empires, I know it's coming, and I don't like it. But I say, if you're not not cut, you're not cutting it. I'm cutting the mustard as anty griffind would say, then you get replaced.
Speaker 1: Who was that awful umpire that years ago? Eric greg was his name?
Speaker 7: Oh, er well, the.
Speaker 6: Worst umpire in my lifetime was Charlie Williams.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't remember.
Speaker 4: He was really bad and I used to get on him at the ballpark. He'd hate it me because when I'd see him, I would always on him and lay right before the game and I would yell at him saying he was the worst umpire in a history of baseball. Game they want to use my glasses tompire third days or whatever. And he was was not only was he terror umpire, he was a lazy umpire, a lazy umpire and a terrible umpire. He threw Steve Garvey. Steve Garvey got thrown out of one game in his career. You know what Steve Garvey said to him, what bear down?
Speaker 6: Bear down? He threw him out of the game. Yeah, bear down.
Speaker 4: Charlie Williams has been Eric Greig was horrible too. Remember that strikes on the head against them when the Braves fgured whe they play was the World Series?
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's strike some terrible. That was a joke and they get away with that. They get away with that.
Speaker 1: I say, bring the girls on, wild Man, if they're if they're competent, if they are qualified.
Speaker 6: Bring them. I got no problem with it all at all.
Speaker 1: And and be careful that you don't choose a rabid one, because then we'll have to put them down.
Speaker 6: Yeah, all right, we'll have fun with that.
Speaker 8: Can't have fun with that.
Speaker 1: Remember you're you're somebody's favorite radio personality.
Speaker 6: Somebody somebody was out there so likes me, have you?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 6: So I got two? Okay, I got that going on.
Speaker 1: Don't forget about the Beatles thing. It HAPs next Sunday afternoon.
Speaker 6: Twelve to two. It halps on Sunday, gotcha.
Speaker 1: Yes, sir, all right, bring bring it. Got any more copies of your book, I'll help you sell a couple.
Speaker 6: Of more copies.
Speaker 4: No copy of my book, but I think i'll bring a copy of my my of the of my eight millimeter film of.
Speaker 6: The Crosley Field that I've got.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, i'd love to see that. All right, wild Man, have a good night.
Speaker 6: They've got a BCR there. Maybe we can plug it in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, ninety night, see you later, night night. Get back in your pajamas. And with that we'll wrap things up in just a moment.
Speaker 3: Did you see that streaming movie where the giant sea creature from outer space wraps in the beautiful woman who tries to take her to a hidden island with the hero, changes into his metal suit, pushes a button on his forearm, and blows up the.
Speaker 2: Monster with a shoulder fired missile.
Speaker 3: It's the type of thing you'd expect Bill Cunningham to do.
Speaker 2: Check him out.
Speaker 4: Listen to Willie Tomorrow at twelve oh six on seven hundred WLW, The Big One.
Speaker 1: My name is Tove, proud fan of Cincinnati Baseball and specialist in