Speaker 1: Thousands of people have mysteriously vanished in America's wilderness. Join us as we dive into the deep end of the unexplainable world and try.
Speaker 2: To piece together what happened.
Speaker 1: If you are listening to Locations Unknown, ooh, what's up everybody, and welcome back to another episode of Locations Unknown.
Speaker 2: I'm your co host, Joe.
Speaker 1: You rott On with me as always is the type of guy that refers to the hard coding of an eminem as the skin Mike fanned Bogart. Thank you, Jill. I've never heard that before. That is That's a good one. It's so gross, it is gross this skin.
Speaker 2: I love this.
Speaker 1: I love the skin on my m and MS. Yeah, I think just grosses me out here in that. But that's a good one.
Speaker 2: I read that and I was like, ooh, that's well.
Speaker 1: Thank you to everyone who's tuned in for another episode before we get going here, and just a couple quick announcements. First, new Patreon shoutouts only got one this week, so thank you to Gwen Picclow for supporting the show.
Speaker 2: Thanks Gwen, we really appreciate it.
Speaker 1: It's for slowly getting better equipment and someday we'll have a whole team of little minions for us that'll do our bidding. And yeah, absolutely, but right now it's just me and Joe. You want to call the show, you can call two eight three nine one six nine one three, leave a voicemail or text. I think some one recently texted it and said, do you get texts?
Speaker 2: I forgot to.
Speaker 1: So you forgot and I forgot so I will text you back. Whoever that was, that's awesome.
Speaker 3: We have some other podcasts on our up and coming podcast network Off the Trails. Who runs this park crime off the Grid Relish And I said this last time if anyone's listening also a curator in the podcast space and you're looking for up and coming network to join, We've were on a very good plan with a spreaker, so you get you can get hosting for free, and you get access to their ad network and the.
Speaker 1: Whole deal, the whole We had someone we can't say their name yet, we haven't inked it, but we've got another person coming on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, We've got more that are in the works for joining, so stay tuned for that. You can also sport the podcast through Patreon, YouTube memberships, premium subscriptions, on Apple and Spreaker. We have a store where we have some hats and shirts and other little things you can buy. And if money's tight, because I was just at the gas station the other day and gas from my car was five point fifty nine a gallon, and you don't have the money to support us monetarily, always just leave a like a comment. Subscribe wherever you listen, or even if you listen on Apple and don't on Spotify but have Spotify, subscribe on there too.
Speaker 2: You know it helps the algorithms. Just do it.
Speaker 3: Promote our show. So and the best form of help is word of mouth to your friends. Just talk about our show until they disown you. Then they won't want to listen to Then they won't. Yeah, so anything in you are not?
Speaker 2: You look tan. And for those watching, what looks different about show? My mustache? Yeah?
Speaker 1: It was just down on the keys spearfishing for hog Fast. It was awesome. I didn't win this year. Yes, that's boss hog two years in a row. This would have been the third I lost to Kyle. He deserved it, he got He beat me by an inch and a quarter. Was that mustache of punishment for losing? No, it's probably why I got second though, you know, as.
Speaker 2: A a dynamic. Yeah, it was I was too slow in the waters catching.
Speaker 3: Yes, well that sounds fun. You look for Italian, you looke tan.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: I was just out on the water for eight hours a day and the Gulf sounds nice.
Speaker 2: It was awesome.
Speaker 1: All right, everybody, let's gear up and get out to explore locations unknown.
Speaker 2: We'll edit that out, Nope.
Speaker 1: March seventeenth, twenty twelve, a twenty four year old leaves a hotel in Cherokee, North Carolina, before dawn and drives into Great Smoky Mountains National Park. Hours later, his fourd escape is found with his wallet, keys, cash, and survival gear still inside. A short note says, don't follow me. Search teams, helicopters, canine units, and volunteers scour the Appalachian Trail Corridor, steep drainages and dense off trail terrain but find nothing.
Speaker 2: No clothing, no gear, no trace. Join us this.
Speaker 1: Week as we investigate the baffling disappearance of Derek Joseph Luking.
Speaker 2: Going on. I know, we'll do a lie. We haven't covered Great Smoky Mountains over a year.
Speaker 1: In a hot minute, yeah, we usually do. Seems like one or two cases of ear in this park.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and for how old it is, you think there'll be more.
Speaker 1: But yeah, well it's such a mysterious place and I love the stories out of there. My daughters are a huge fan of the Smoky's lore. Okay, there's just tons like we're not supposed to whistle there, you know, like all the rules, and we we did a Urban Legends thing on it episode on some from there. Yeah, so they love they love that stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I can't believe we just don't have more maybe bottom really, Yeah, it is beautiful. Have you been there?
Speaker 1: I have, Yes, I took my family there and we did all the things you're not supposed to and we were just fine. So the Great Smoking Mountain National Park is five hundred and twenty two thousand acres. Some of the locations we're going to be talking about in this story are the Newfound Gap High Mountain Pass, which is at about five thy forty six feet and it's on US four forty one at the Tennessee North Carolina state line, and a major overlook and parking area. The park seas roughly twelve million visitors per year twelve point one or twelve point two almost million visitors per year SI Park. It's a very busy park. It's also the most biodiverse park in the entire National Park system. So scientists have documented more than twenty two thousand species in the Smokies and estimate as many as sixty thousand to eighty thousand may live there.
Speaker 2: That's crazy. That is a ton of species living there. Bugs. I've met a lot of.
Speaker 1: It's known as the salamander capital of the world, so some of them at least are salamanders.
Speaker 2: About thirty of them yep.
Speaker 1: The thirty different species of salamanders across five families, including endemics like Jordan's red cheeked salamander. On any given day, salamanders likely outnumber all other vertebrae in the park.
Speaker 2: That's pretty cool.
Speaker 1: The quote unquote smoke is actually plant vapor that turns the air blue. Trees and plants emit volatile organic compounds that create a blue tinged haze when they scatter light. It's informally called Wildflower National Park. So the Smokies has fifteen hundred species of flowering plants, one of the highest counts of any temperate region on Earth, which is why spring wildflower pilgrimages.
Speaker 2: Are a big deal here.
Speaker 1: You're also when you're there walking through one of the oldest mountain ranges on the planet. Geologists estimate the Smokies are roughly two hundred to three hundred million years old, far older than the Rockies based on the rock weathering and soil evidence. So that's why it's like not such an aggressive.
Speaker 2: Seep and weather down. It was probably just like the Rockies and the wind blew it down. Yeah, that's how long. How old it is? It's old. Did you know the park never closes. I did not.
Speaker 1: So while individual roads, trails, or facilities can shut down for weather or maintenance, the park as a whole doesn't have a closing time. You can legally enter twenty four to seven year round if conditions allow. It quietly preserves one of the largest collections of historic structures in any national park. So there are more than ninety historic buildings, cabins, churches, barns, schools, and mills that have been preserved or rehabilitated, especially in Cade's Cove and a long Roaring Fork. The Smokies is one of the few major national parks with no entrance fee. Thanks to historic agreements over US four forty one Newfound Gap Road right of way when the land was transferred to the federal government. So that's also why it's open twenty four to seven.
Speaker 3: And probably why twelve million people visited there. You go, Yeah, just people drive through there just because it's part of the road. They're like, visitor, visitor, visit.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So we'll talk a little bit about the features. Starting with climate. So in mid March, the Smokies are in that uneasy transition between winter and spring.
Speaker 2: What do we call that, bookends? Did you call it a shoulder season? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Was it shoulder season? Yeah, that's what it's normally called. But I forgot what you called it. Oh man, now I can't remember. Yeah, or you didn't hear about it ever. Yeah, I think that was it too. You're like, I'd never heard it called that shoulder season. Yeah, but I called it something different.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know what it was.
Speaker 1: Call us and tell us. So down in the valleys around Cherokee and Gatlinburg, a day can feel almost comfortable, with the afternoon temperatures often climbing into the sixties and even low seventies, especially by late March. Nights there usually fall into the forties or fifties, cool but manageable if you're prepared. Up on the ridgeline, where the Newfound Gap sits, it's a different world. The passes around five thousand feet and temperatures drop several degrees for every thousand feet of elevation. A day that feels mild in town can be ten to fifteen degrees colder on the crest, with raw wind cutting across the parking lots and trailheads. A spring afternoon might hover around in the forties or low fifties there, and once the sun goes down, it's easy for the mercury to sink towards the mid thirties or lower. Spring in the Smokies is all so infamous for volatile weather. Clear skies can give way to low cloud, fog, and rain in a matter of hours. Storms roll up the valleys, and the higher elevations often see more precipitation than the town's below, even when it's truly freezing. A combination of cold air, wind, and damp clothing can drive a hiker toward hypothermia surprisingly fast. So that's the backdrop to Derek's disappearance at straddle.
Speaker 2: That's what you call its. Sorry for interrupting you.
Speaker 1: No, that's worth the interruption because I forgot it's hilarious seasons.
Speaker 2: I knew I would remember. That's wrong and embarrassing.
Speaker 1: So basically, when Derek was there, a huge, wet, heavily forested mountain range where on the same day a visitor can be strolling in short sleeves in the Cherokee while just a short drive a few thousand feet higher, someone without proper shelter is fighting to stay warm through a long, windy, wet night. A little bit about the terrain around Newfound Gap. Derek stepped into some of the roughest and most deceptive terrain in the Smokies. At a broad scale, Newfound Gap is a high mountain pass on a main crest of the Great Smoky Mountains, Sitting at about five forty six to five forty eight feet on the Tennessee North Carolina state line. The parking area feels civilized. You have paved lots, stone walls, big views, but it's perch on a ridge lines surrounded by steep mountain slopes dropping away on both sides. Once you step off the asphalt, the terrain changes fast. The slopes around the gap are steep to very steep, with a mix of rocky outcrops, ledges, and deeply insized drainages that funnel water and people downhill in unpredictable ways. The forest is also dense. On the climb up from Cherokee, you pass through cove hardwoods and mixed oak pine, then into northern hardwood and spruce fir forest at the gap itself, the kind of dark coniferous woodlands more like New England or eastern Canada than the rest of the South underfoot, which means thick leaf litter, moss covered rock, and tangled roots, with laurel and rhododendron thickets closing in along many of the drainages and off trail slopes. Visibility can drop quickly once you leave the road or main trails. The corridor descriptions for Newfound Gap roads specifically note steeply sloping, sometimes rocky outcroppings on one side and forests where the floor is only intermittently open on the other. It's very easy to lose line of sight or a bearing within a short distance off the pavement, so several strenuous trails radiate from this hub The Appalachian Trail runs right across this gap, heading along a rolling but often narrow ridge with side hills that fall away sharply into heavily wooded valleys.
Speaker 2: Nearby.
Speaker 1: Routes like Chimney Tops are known for steep, rocky ascents, slick rock slabs, and exposure in places. Even though they're popular day hikes. The general character of the country derrek walking into big elevation changes, lots of vertical relief and short horizontal distances, and very few truly gentle off trail options. So in practice, for someone who leaves a parking lot without a clear route and goes off trail, this area quickly becomes amazed deep draws, blind ridges, and thick vegetation that hide you from both other hikers and searchers, with enough rock and relief to make a simple misstep or a slide turn into a serious fall. That's the train search teams we're basically trying to grid when they went looking for any signs of him. So how can you safely hike this area? As we always say, tell someone your exact plan, what trail had, intended routes, turn around time, and when you'll check back in make sure they know who to call if you miss that window. It's very important because searchers need to know where to start if you do go missing. Absolutely, and obviously if you give people that plan, you want to stick to it. So stay on the established and sign trails. Don't just explore off the side of Newfound Gap road or cut down drainages. It's very easy to get cliffed out, injured, or lost in that terrain.
Speaker 3: We've talked about getting cliffed out in other episodes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, unfortunately someone passed away. Yeah, and Grand Canyon happened. You can get down some of these cliffs, and if you don't have climbing gear, you'll just get stuck and you won't be able to go any further and you can't climb back up. So you want to wear real hiking footwear, not sneakers. Use boots or shoes with ankle support and good tread. Wet leaves, roots and mossy rock around the New Found Gap are major source of slips and broken ankles. I would say, out of any gear, your footwear is the most important. Absolutely not because I mean best case in here if you wear bad footwear is you're going to have just a giant blister on each foot. Yeah, it's gonna be miserable the rest of the troupe. Yeah, and for several days after and have them broken in. Don't buy new shoes and go hiking for the first time. Wear them for like a month. I remember our first hiking trip in Candy Lens Shay. Our friend that went with us were his army boots. Bad idea. He had full foot blisters. It's just the worst. Yes, you want to carry a paper map and knows how to use it, so don't rely on your phone services spotty and batteries die fast and cold white conditions. Have a park map or topo and nowhere new pound gap, trail junctions and bailout points are You want to pack even the basics for a short hike at minimum extra layer rainshell, hat and gloves and Coolermont's headlamp, water, snacks and small first aid kit. Check the weather and be right for the changes. Storms, fog and temperatures drop hit the ridge line much harder than in the valleys. If the forecast looks bad or is deteriorating, turn around early and you want to avoid hiking after dark unless you're truly prepared darkness plus deep side hills and roots is a recipe for falls and getting turned around. Plan so you're back at the Newfound Gap before dusk. You want to treat water and respect high fast streams, so you don't try to ford swollen creeks after heavy rain. Wait till it waited out or turned back. Any stream water you drink should be filtered, boiled, or treated. And you want to dress in layers and carry rain protection to prevent hypothermia.
Speaker 2: Even in mild seasons, wind and rain at five thousand feet can drop your core temperature quickly. A dry base layer and simple rain jacket or punch will make a huge difference. And lastly, be realistic about your limits and turn back early even if something feels off. Most serious incidents in the Smokies come down to overconfidence and bad decisions, pushing on when you're tired, injured, disoriented, or racing daylight. So Mike tell us a little bit about Derek.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So the subject of tonight's case is Derek Aluking. He was born May thirteenth, nineteen eighty seven, went missing March seventeenth, twenty twelve. He was a male aged twenty four he was five foot ten to six feet. He was about two fifteen to two hundred and twenty five pounds. He had brown hair and a half inch beard. He had hazel eyes, though some sources say they were green. He also was some kind sometimes went by the nickname DJ, and he did have a couple of tattoos of Japanese characters meaning to live or life on his upper chest. Clothing or gear last scene and so he had a gray hooded sweatshirt, dark colored track pants with a white stripe down the side of each leg. He had dark colored sneakers, white tennis shoes. The descriptions do very slightly across some of the news sources on what footwear, what his footwear looked like, so these are just kind of general. He possibly had a waterproof watch, and he was possibly carrying a real tree camouflage raingear, any black or dark blue day pack style backpack. And when I get in the timeline, he also he went on a major buying spree before he went into the Smokies, so we'll cover that in the timeline. Personality, he was described by family and friends as a very avid camper and an outdoor enthusiast, but not really known as an extreme backcountry survivalist, so not. I mean most people aren't known like Joe and I aren't known as backcountry extreme survivalists.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think we would do well to survive, but not thrive. Yeah. Yeah, probably just gotta be honest.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'd probably make it for many days, potentially weeks, but we'd probably be eating each other in like foot.
Speaker 2: I would be really holding out for a rescue. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean there's a difference between knowing what you should do and then actually doing everything correctly when you're in that situation. Yes, So yeah, it's easy to say that you would be prepared for that. But as many people as we talked about in this show, I hear many more stories of people getting saved. And when I hear about how they got saved and what they were doing, so it gives it gives me a lot of confidence.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and just because I know what I should be doing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I mean just like thinking about how Brian Sklinsky survived his first disappearance in Great Sand Dunes, just sleeping on sand in freezing temperatures with no like no gear.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was just like, well, I guess I'll lay here now. Yeah, and he survived.
Speaker 3: So part of it is luck, part of it is location you get lost in, and some of it is you know.
Speaker 2: Following all the rules we tell everyone to follow up. Yes, he was known.
Speaker 3: He was a known fan of bear grills, man vers wild and was fascinated by survival scenarios, which may have influences planning in mindset. And I will say something about bear girls. I used to be a big fan. He's fake, but.
Speaker 2: He he's so fake. Yeah. His show is he goes to hotels every day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think the guy you, I think he knows the stuff, but for the shit and he did do that, so he was like British Special Forces. So like right now he's not He's doing this stuff and he's demonstrating it and then going to a hotel and then coming back out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all dirty again the.
Speaker 3: Guy who I think the show it's not on there anymore. Survivor man. Yeah, that was legit rate his own camera less stroud I think was is that the one where he had his like the camera shots were like he hit at the camera, brought a camera with him, set it up and he lived out in the woods or wherever he was by himself. Yeah, that is more realistic. And Bear Girls, I mean his shows are very interesting and informative, but don't have any impression that he's roughing it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And that one scene where he he took a snake skin and then pete in it in drink it to like he was.
Speaker 1: Just so unnecessary, so unnecessary, and he's like, oh it's so salty. I was like, oh, why are you doing this? Yeah, for all we know, it probably was gatorade. Yeah. Yeah, but so I don't know. That's my Bear Girls tangent. I love how. I hope this turns into some weird beef you end up and Bill you and Bear Girls.
Speaker 2: I mean he probably killed me special Forces. I don't know.
Speaker 1: I just helped this beef starts, and I want to remain neutral and just keep egging it from both sides.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm yeah, I'm stacking up enemies.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you think so you think Bear Girls is fake and he probably wasn't even special Forces? HW Mike, you I can say that. Yeah, it sounds kind of like you're saying that. It kind of sounds like you think you're better than Bear Girls. Yeah, no, I think that's what you said. Tell everyone tell that's what if you know bear girls, Mike says he's better than him.
Speaker 2: There we go, all right, go on, all right, got that out of the way.
Speaker 1: Family and friends, back to the character profile here, suggested he was generally responsible. He had a stable job in education, but may have been quietly struggling with adult pressures and grief following his grandfather's death. So that's going to be a theme throughout this case that we'll go back to in theories. Medical issues, nothing publicly documented of anything, No injuries before his hike. He didn't have any chronic medical conditions. Occupation hobby.
Speaker 3: He worked as an aid at Peninsula Behavioral Health Center often referred to as Peninsula Hospital, near his home in Louisville, Tennessee. He was a college graduate of Johnson University, so experiencing the wilderness. Like I said earlier, He's described as an avid camper and hiker by his friends, with enough experience to take day hikes and short trips, but not regarded by family or park officials as a deeply seasoned wilderness expert. Appalachian trail hikers who spoke with his family believed he could survive for some time with the gear he had at least theory, and I'll cover all the gear he bought. He easily should have been able to survive the conditions he would have experienced so experiencing that location. So he did appear to have researched the Smokies before this trip. He purchased maps in a book about the Smokies and its trails shortly beforehand, but there is no real clear evidence he had a deep prior on the ground experience at Newfound Gap. So jumping right into timeline, we'll start on Wednesday, March fourteenth of twenty twelve.
Speaker 2: So essentially, Derek was.
Speaker 3: Just living his normal life in Louisville, Tennessee, and at this time, for whatever reason, he ended up going on a spending binge for hiking gear, and he bought over one thousand dollars worth of camping in survival supplies from a Bass Pro shop, Knife Works, and Coleman's. I'll say that may sound like a lot of money, but for hiking gear, like if.
Speaker 1: You're in the right stuff, that could be like a tent in a sleeping bag. Yeah, backpacks could be a few hundred dollars. I remember buying an ultra light sleeping bag in that was super expensive. And yeah, I think my really nice light cold bag that it took to Africa was like five hundred dollars. Yeah, so hiking gear can add up quickly. Nice pair of boots will run you a few hundred bucks. I mean it adds up fast. But he did buy a lot of gears. So some of the gear included maps of the Smokies, a tent, sleeping bag, a pack, axe, a knife sharpener, a compass, thermometer, one hundred feet of black parachute, cord head lamp, pocket knife, granola bars, an iPod pouch, a waterproof watch, and a bear grilled survival tool pack containing a multitool, small flashlight, and fire starter. So he's already got more gear than most of the people that have gone missing that we've covered, And with all that gear and the clothing he had, he should have been able to survive a few nights in this environment. He also had searched the Great Smoking Mountains on his computer and booked a room at a hotel in Cherokee, North Carolina, which is a gateway town to the park, roughly two hours southeast of his home, and he is believed to have stayed at the at A Motel six on the night of March fourteenth. It's now Thursday, March fifteenth of twenty twelve, so Derek is believed to have stayed overnight at the a Smokemont campground inside Great Smoky Mountains National Park, and that same day he failed to show up for his shift at Peninsula Hospital. Calls to his cell phone went unanswered. His roommate, Ryan Molden, had noticed Derek's alarm going off continuously that morning and initially assumed he had just left early for work and forgotten to turn it off. And I think I forgot to tell everyone how old he was. He's twenty four. So that was like in the back of your head, that's why you keep thinking, yeah, you're missing something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so twenty four years old.
Speaker 3: So, like I said, his roommate heard his alarm going off, wondered what was going on.
Speaker 2: Something's weird.
Speaker 3: When a mutual friend alerted Ryan, his roommate, that Derek had never arrived at work, concern quickly set in, so Ryan contacted Derek's parents in Virginia, and obviously they were alarmed. They drove to his their son's home in Knoxville. Slash Louisville, Tennessee. To begin piecing together what might have happened to him, they examined his computer. They discovered searches for the Great Smoky Mountains hotel reservations in Cherokee, and the trail of survival gear purchases. So Friday March sixteenth, twenty twelve, Derek checked into the Microtel Inn and Switees in Cherokee, North Carolina. A Bible and some alcohol were later found among his belongings at the hotel. His father would go on later to note that drinking was not typical for Derek, and he suspected his son might have been struggling with depression as he tried to navigate adulthood. So that is a theme that kind of comes up in this case.
Speaker 1: That outwardly Derek appeared to be pretty normal and having a good time, but that he was kind of suffering in silence at this point with some type of depression. Yeah, and obviously we know that his grandfather had recently died, so that might have played something into it.
Speaker 2: And well, I wonder if the Bible I found was just the Bible at.
Speaker 1: The hotel, especially in the South, like every hotel has a Bible in there. Although the drinking thing, if he wasn't normally drinking and he's by himself, then that could be yeah.
Speaker 3: And it's not unusual for young adults once they're out in the wild to kind of from time to time suffer from a little depression because the world is not a nice place sometimes. Yep, it can get you down. Absolutely, so I did mention this earlier. The timing of his disappearance coincided closely with the first anniversary of the death of his grandfather, who he was very very close with, so probably played some kind of role in this, would be my guess. Saturday, March seventeenth to twenty twelve, at approximately four am in the morning, hotel surveillance cameras captured Derek leaving the Microtel in in Cherokee. He was alone and he was carrying what appeared to be a day pack. He was wearing a gray hooded sweatshirt, dark colored track pants like I mentioned, white striped down each side of the leg, and dark colored sneakers, and he may have also been carrying some rain gear that they couldn't really tell with the video. By eight thirty am that morning, his white Ford escape was found in the lower lot at Newfound Gap, which Joe had mentioned earlier, is at about five thy forty eight feet and it's mountain pass where the main road through the park acrosses the Appalachian Trail straddling the Tennessee North Carolina state line. And the family was they were actually the people that discovered his vehicle, so it looks like after arriving at Microtelt too late to find Eric, they were driving back towards Tennessee when they spotted his car in the parking lot and immediately contacted park rangers. Inside the vehicle, searchers found his wallet, cash, credit cards, and car key. They also found many of the survival supplies he had recently purchased, including critically the tent and sleeping bag, and they also found kind of this strange handwritten note that some sources say it simply said don't follow me, while some other sources in the news said don't try to follow me. So kind of odd he would leave his car keys and that note with his stuff with his stuff, so park officials expressed uncertainty about whether Derek had actually written the note, despite it being a despite it being a sunny Saturday, with heavy visitor traffic at one of the park's most popular overlooks. Not a single person reported having seen Derek in the park when they were interviewed by law enforcement, so that's also very interesting. It's now March seventeenth to the twenty third. Park rangers launched an immediate search and rescue operation radiating outward from the Newfound Gap. Over the several days, these searchers hiked a lot of miles, so some estimates of upwards of fifty five to seventy miles of trail were searched in just the first few days, including sections of the Appalachian Trail and connecting side trails. They had multiple scent tracking dog teams in the area. They were giving samples of Derek's clothing to lock onto ascent. Helicopter sweeps were conducted over three separate days, with additional nighttime helicopter operations. The North Carolina and Tennessee Highway Patrols provided helicopter services at no cost to the Park Service, so that was nice. So they really have, I mean, within a few days they have a massive search operation going on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's thick. That is thick. What time of year is that picture?
Speaker 1: Uh, November, okay, twenty twenty two, so probably not as thick even as it would be in may or, I guess March, yeah, maybe, but yeah, it's some thick and pretty steep.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's there's some it's yeah. You go down there, no one's finding you. Just slow October twenty one. Yeah, slow searching. Yeah, holy cow. So yeah.
Speaker 3: Searchers were instructed to check all natural and mad made shelters. They spoke with everyone they encountered, and they were keeping their eyes peeled for camel crush cigarette butts.
Speaker 2: So that was so he was.
Speaker 3: He smoked cigarettes, and that would have been the brand he smoked. And despite the warm, unseasonable weather that should have improved his chances of survival. The massive effort turned up nothing. Not a single footprint, discarded item a cigarette butt could be conclusively linked to Derek. It's now Thursday, March twenty second of twenty twelve. By the sixth day, the search was at a critical juncture. They had approximately sixty searchers split into fourteen teams for another push. Supervisory park ranger Joe Pons said, let's try to make another hard push for this guy today. The search had now moved significantly off trail. Rangers looked for places where it would be appealing to get off trail and hiked those routes until the terrain came impassable, making every area surveyed on GIS paced maps. During one sweep, a helicopter spotted a tarp near Deep Creek and a team was quickly dispatched, but the equipment appeared to have been in place for a long time and had no connection to Derek. Bob Miller, a park spokesman, noted the most disturbing aspect of the case. He said, there was a ton of people in the park that day. It was a nice day. Mean he got off trail right away, maybe so. About forty five National Park Service employees and roughly fifteen civilian volunteers participated in the search effort. Personnel from Blue Ridge Parkway, Cherokee Tribal Ems, and search and rescue dog associations from North in South Carolina also assisted. It's now Friday, March twenty third of twenty twelve. After a full week of heavy searching with nothing found beyond the vehicle, park officials made the difficult decision to scale back the operation. Park spokeswoman Molly Schroer acknowledged the frustration. She was quoted without clues, you are just kind of searching in the woods. Park Superintendent dale A. Ditmissen added, it's very disheartening for the searchers to work so hard for so long to find a missing individual without success. I can't imagine the effort that's expended and then they turn up empty handed. Though they found the car, yeah, and a lot of his stuff, so that's more than some cases.
Speaker 1: And I do want to note that for people who are watching, this is a map Mike create it that will start coming along with all these episodes. So it has also I'm following along on the map and it kind of shows the different areas where this stuff is happening.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you can click on if you x out of that, you can click on the different points of interest and they will pop up with information.
Speaker 2: Yes, I've been following along with you real time. There you go.
Speaker 1: I just got to make it now to move when I talk, yes, and then you don't need me.
Speaker 2: Then I don't need you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're like, this is exactly what I've been working towards. So, like I said, the search is wrapping up. They really haven't found anything other than the vehicle. So it's weekend March twenty fourth to twenty fifth of twenty twelve. So after the official search was skilled back, Derek's family, along with more than twenty five civilian volunteers, continued searching for two additional days. His parents set up a blue minivan decorated with fine Derek signs photos of their son and his Teddy Bear sporting a plaid and red bow tie at the Newfound Gap overlook. They pressed flyers into the hands of every single person they found. They pleaded with hikers heading out on the trails to keep an eye out. The father was quoted as saying, we tried to talk with every hiker. Some were coming from the trailheads. They were sitting there looking for him, and they would see hikers coming out of the woods and they would do like a double tick like his said Derek, and unfortunately none of them were.
Speaker 3: They set up a Facebook page titled to Find Derek Luking and it was kind of the coordinate awareness efforts, and one of the family members wrote on the page, we will never stop looking for Derek, although we still think he is in the park. An off trail there is possibility that he is out in the world somewhere, So we will put the word out in the world as much as we can while still making sure people know who he is in the Smoky Mountains. Now, real crazy thing. So there was a very weird coincidence that happened during the search for Derek. So just one day after the search for Derek, a second man vanished in the same area of the park. Michael Giovanni a Cochini. He was twenty three from Nashville, Tennessee, and he was last seen by friends at the Walmart in a nearby town on March eighteenth. His car was noticed by rangers at a parking area near the park visitor center outside Gatlinburg that same day, and this guy was not known to be a hiker and had no gear for hiking or overnight camping. When his car remained in the same spot two days later, rangers launched a second simultaneous search, but obviously both searches were eventually called off without resolution. Now fast forward to August seventeenth of twenty twelve, a park employee stumbled upon a backpack in the woods that was confirmed to belong to Michael. In the subsequent search rangers located clothing consistent with what he was last seen wearing, along with his cell phone. Then, on August twentieth, searchers discovered skull fragments just three tenths of a mile from where his car had been found, and the reins were eventually positively identified as Michael's. Very interesting. Another gentleman went missing, like right in the same area.
Speaker 2: They seemed to wrap that one up relatively quickly too.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, I mean they found somehow found his remains quickly, but sadly. Through this time, there were no new developments made in Derek's case, so twenty thirteen case still open. By June of twenty thirteen, Park spokeswoman Molly Shore confirmed that his case remained open and active. She was quoted like, what the Derek Luke case. They've never located him and it is still considered an open case. She said, if a lead comes up, we will look into it.
Speaker 1: And I searched for the Facebook page and it doesn't seem to exist anymore. I saw a couple individual posts that weren't lolated, but I don't think the page is live, so I can't get anything from there.
Speaker 2: Okay, I thought I was on it.
Speaker 1: I searched it exactly how it was labeled. So okay, I'll keep digging. I'll keep taking.
Speaker 3: Twenty fifteen and beyond. So by twenty fifteen, which we're now approaching, the third anniversary of Derek's disappearance, his case remain listed in the National Missing an Unidentified Person system known as name US. And during this time, the Facebook page that Joe is trying to find remained active trying to spread the word. And I may have read that information from a news article now that I'm thinking now that I think.
Speaker 2: About it, that was just on Facebook.
Speaker 3: No, that it referenced their Facebook page, So NETT page would be over ten years old now.
Speaker 1: Something I'm wondering if somebody actually closed it, because sometimes people just let it kind of hang out there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I'll keep looking, Okay.
Speaker 3: Appalachian Trail through hikers who had spoken with the family over the years expressed the view that given the supplies Derek likely had on him the survival a pack axe, parachute cord, firestarter, compass, headlamp, pocket knife, and granola bars, that he could have theoretically survived in the woods for an extended period. It's now twenty seventeen twenty eighteen, we're getting more updates the Charlie Project, which is a great website to look up missing person cases. They updated their case on Derek with some photographs and updated clothing and jewelry descriptions. By twenty eighteen, it's been six years now since he went missing. His family still searching for answers and hoping to find out what happened to him, but nothing has come of it, and from twenty nineteen to the present day, the National Park Service Investigative Services Branch continues to list Derek on its official cold case page, and his direction of travel from Newfound Gap to this day remains unknown. As of May twenty sixth, the month we're recording this, no it remains clothing, gear, or any physical trace of Derek has ever been recovered from the Smokies or anywhere else, and his case remains open and unsolved. So that's why we're asking everyone listening. If you happen to know any information on this case, you can call the National Park Service number at eight two eight four nine seven nine four zero. It's never too late to send in a tip. Maybe you were hiking and came across a gear that's at the time just seemed like somebody dropped something. But now that you heard this episode, you're thinking, you know what, that looks like something he might have carried. So even a tip like that, if you remember where you were and when it was, you can put that hip in there. And to this day, if its case is open, they'll go out there and search. You know, maybe they'd find his remains. Who knows. Okay, theories, got four of them here. I'll read him out and then I want to hear what you think. Okay, So theory number one probably the most likely wilderness misadventure.
Speaker 2: That's like every one of these cases.
Speaker 3: So Derek enters the Smokey's intending to test survival skills or spend time off grid. He's been watching a lot of Bear Girls. He's got a Bear Girls survival kit, he's been watching survival shows. He's probably like, I'm gonna go try this out, and but he becomes lost, injured, and succumbs to the train. Why this fits well, He bought extensive survival gear and studied the park beforehand. He was a fan of survival shows like The Man Versus Wild Show. The terrain around Newfound Gap is like it's brutal. Joe described it steep drop offs, dense vegetation, hard to search ranges. Rangers even suggested he may have gotten in over his head when he went out there. Why it doesn't fit if he's really into survival and everything. He left critical gear like tents, a tent and sleeping bag in his car, so that's gear you would take with you. You wouldn't leave that behind. And there was no trace ever found despite a massive search. So even off trail cases usually produced something. Gear remains are central, and we mentioned another guy went missing in March and they found his remains by August, so that is unusual. Second theory, this is always tough one to talk about, but suicide or mental health crisis. This one is basically you can probably guess that he intentionally went into the park to end his own life. Now we don't throw this theory around lightly, but there's a few things in this case that would lend to maybe something was going on with Derek that people weren't aware of, that he was kind of suffering, like I said in silence. So the first big one is the note that was left in the car. Now we don't know who wrote that note because he left his keys in the car, so anyone could have gotten in his car. It'd be kind of a weird thing, that random being a break in their car and say don't follow me, and then leave wallet and cash and everything behind me. So, but we don't know who, but he left a note that says don't follow me, which strongly suggests intent to disappear. The timing of his disappearance aligns with the anniversary of his grandfather's death. He was very close with him.
Speaker 1: I imagine his grandfather was probably like a father figure to him. Yeah, and his passing probably devastated him. I know from personal life experience.
Speaker 3: You two, Joe, probably at twenty four, you haven't experienced a lot of death in the family yet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a new type of pain.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like a time of your life where some of your older relatives are starting to pass away, and up until that point everyone alive memory as a kid, like all your relatives are alive, and like family gatherings, like all the grandparents, they're a great uncle's aunts.
Speaker 2: And you get older and you got to start dealing with start dwindling.
Speaker 3: Yeah, everyone handles that differently. And if he was really close. It probably hit him hard. Yeah, reports of possible depression and unusual behavior. So the Bible alcohol though, like Joe said, the Bible in a southern hotel.
Speaker 2: Now they're common all the time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but alcohol, if he's not a big drinker, that is a little out of the ordinary.
Speaker 2: And leaving behind.
Speaker 3: While his wallet, money, and gear does fit someone planning to not return, but he didn't leave any kind of notes like other than to don't follow me. He didn't leave like a letter to someone or why this doesn't fit No body or evidence was ever found the level, so the level of preparation, all the gear, purchases, planning feels pretty excessive. If your goal was to go out there and not come back. Yeah, how would you buy all that stuff, read all those books.
Speaker 2: And then leave in the car? Yeah, So that doesn't make sense.
Speaker 3: And unfortunately, most suicides in national parks are eventually located, especially after larger search and rescue operations, so the fact that nothing was ever found is a little odd. A third theory voluntary disappearance, so he basically staged his own disappearance. This basically is he staged it at Newfound Gap to make it look like he vanished into the wilderness, but actually left the starting life. The note in a banded vehicle could be intentional misdirection, early morning departure and secretive planning behavior. Cash purchases leave gaps in a paper trail, and zero evidence in the park could mean he never went deep into it. Now, why this doesn't work? He left behind his wallet, cash and credit cards, car keys. Not having all that stuff makes starting a new life a little harder. Yeah, no confirmed sightings, financial activity, or identity use since twenty twelve.
Speaker 2: And I'll just.
Speaker 1: Say, in modern times, especially twenty twenty six, it's pretty darn hard to go anywhere and not be filmed or.
Speaker 2: Photographed or yeah, absolutely so.
Speaker 3: You would imagine at some point he would thought maybe not turn up, turn up maybe yeah, who knows. In one of my points here was disappearing completely in the modern area is very hard to pull off long term. You'd probably do it for a couple of years, but at some point, I mean, you'd have to get a job, make money, yeah, get an apartment, a lot of things. You're gonna have to share your identity with it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, unless you're somehow connected to some CD underground where Yeah, fake documents and stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so the least supported theory is foul play. So this goes Derek encountered another person who caused his disappearance, either before or after reaching the park. Why it could work again, lack of evvidence can sometimes point to a third party involvement, and the coincidence of another disappearance in the same area at the same time does raise a few suspicions something weird was going on. But why this doesn't fit is no signs of a struggle at the vehicle or a hotel, no witnesses, suspects, or investigative leads pointing to another person. And like I mentioned earlier in the timeline, this was a sunny day, very that overlook is very populated, busy place, and people don't even remember seeing him there, so that's a little strange. And the timeline strongly suggests he traveled alone and voluntarily entered the area.
Speaker 1: So I don't know, what do you think? This one's so weird. It is a little weird. I feel like you can be three of them. I feel like, unfortunately suicide is one of them potential. I feel like it could be he was testing his skill and didn't make it, Yeah, and they just haven't found him because it's fair very thick, and there's a part of me that thinks it could be connected to the same other guy who went missing. Okay, like did those two coincidentally be in the same the wrong place at the wrong time. Interesting, And that's like your Hollywood theory, it kind of is, But I mean it's I mean, coincidences can happen, but not it's not like an I don't know. That just seems like two very coincidental things that are very similar happening at around the very same time. So I don't know, it's a matter of like when they reported the other guy missing, well, he was at the store. So have you lined up, like how much time has passed from when Derek was missing to the other guy, So.
Speaker 3: The other guy went missing one second?
Speaker 2: Here, I have the map pulled up. I can go here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know if I put that in the map, March seventh, No, it's in there. I saw March seventeenth, Derek left. Here you go March eighteenth, So it's like the last scene the next day after Derek was seen leaving, So it could have theoretically gone missing on the same day. Yeah, like actually so yeah, like they're going to the same area on potentially the same day and one one was found.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so the note is weird.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the note is weird in your car keys, and while in the car, it's like a contradiction. He left, he went and spent all that money on hiking gear, was like a big nut about survival, and then leaves half of it in his car.
Speaker 1: What if Okay, here's my Hollywood. Okay, let's say it's a killer and he is following Derek and that guy leaves the note in there, like like have they did an analysis on it? Is it Derek's handwriting on the note and the guy who's going to attack him throws it in there or something or after maybe he saw.
Speaker 2: That that's his car. Yeah, and oh how about this? Okay, how about this? Okay, what if this? This is the Hollywood.
Speaker 1: The killer is on the trail, murders Derek and the other guy okay, takes Derek's stuff, has his keys, can go to the parking lot and click the button, find out which card is, throw all the stuff in there and leave a note and make it look like that. Okay, maybe he was interacting with addiction. Yes, exactly interesting. That's this is why it's Hollywood. I mean, you have to be very fairly smart and to do something like that. But I don't know that it's that one's the Hollywood one. I think more likely it's he chose to go out there and not come back, or he was attempting to survive on purpose, so he said, hey, put the note like, hey, don't look for me.
Speaker 2: I'm doing this on purpose.
Speaker 1: Like that could have been him leaving the note saying I'm going out there to do a survival thing like don't look for me, I'll be fine. Okay, that seems you know, Okham's razor.
Speaker 2: That one's most likely.
Speaker 1: But other than that, I think it's very coincidental that two people potentially on the same day went missing and one that turned up they found his remains. Yeah, and they just have it on the other one yet.
Speaker 3: I mean, yeah, I think my most likely theory and I have a theory on why the tent and sleeping bag were in the car. So he gets to that campground area early in the morning, he probably doesn't want it.
Speaker 2: Maybe it's not even light and dark.
Speaker 3: It's still dark out, so he's like, you know, what, I'm going to go on a day hike this morning and just hike around a bit. I'll come back to my car, set my camp up at the campground when it's light out. That would make sense. Then why he left the tent and sleeping bag in the car. If you're planning to just hike for a few hours and then come back to a campground and set up camp, why would you hike with your tent and sleeping bag in your backpack? So like, yeah, I'm picturing he probably was planning to come back to his car at some point the set up camp, and maybe he just accidentally forgot his keys in the car.
Speaker 2: I've done that.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's not People forget their car keys in their car all the time.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 3: I once went to the grocery store after work and forgot to turn my car off, got out, went in and shop for twenty minutes, came back out, got in.
Speaker 2: I'm like, oh, that's weird. It's on. I'm like, oh, I left it on while I was in the store. You're in the thick of it with children right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I have like fog brand, So leaving your keys in the car, I can totally buy that, and I think having when I was younger, I used to watch the shows it's on History Channel called Alone, where they would drop people off in the wilderness and whoever survived the longest win like two hundred and fifty thousand dollars. Yeah, and that would get me like jazzed up to go hiking. Yeah, so like you might want to go try something like yeah. Yeah, So I can picture young guy.
Speaker 3: He's in the hiking he's been watching all these bear Girls shows and the guy in those shows it's cool, he's doing cool.
Speaker 1: He was talking like this is so intense and he's doing crazy stuff. And at times like these, when the stone waters, sometimes you have to drink your own piss. Yes, So I can picture that Derek probably after months or years of watching these shows, he finally gets to the Smokey's he's out on the trail. He's probably a little overconfident in his abilities because he's been watching so many of those shows. Sure, and something happened where he either went off trail and got injured or whatever like you said, and he fell, or he's in an area that is hard to search, and that that would be why his tent and sleeping bag were still in the car because he was planning to go back maybe to get that and then set up camp, but he never did. Does still doesn't explain the note. That's weird.
Speaker 2: Yep. So that's why.
Speaker 1: I mean, it could explain the note. It's don't hate I left all my stuff in here, don't look for me.
Speaker 2: I'm fine.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, you think he would write out an explanation. I mean instead of being like a cryptic.
Speaker 3: That's two guys have done a show on missing people for nine years, would do like write out a detailed note like, hey, I'm okay, I will be back.
Speaker 2: I'm practicing my survival skills.
Speaker 3: But out here a young guy who's just going out hiking probably like he don't follow me. Okay, I don't know. Yeah, you're right, could be just mixed communications. He in his head he thought that note would be more x you know, explanatory to whoever found it. Yeah, when in the end it really just opened a whole can of worms. Yeah, I guess twenty four year old and he would leave a dumb note too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that doesn't I would say.
Speaker 3: I think if I was given percentage weights to the theories, I would say overconfidence from watching beer Girls and then getting lost. Probably seventy eighty percent. Okay, I would say foul play is like one percent. I don't think it was foul play. I think it's like two percent because the other guy, the other guy. Yeah, it doubles. I think suicide ten percent, just because of the note and the grandfather passing away and the family maybe suggesting he might have been suffering from depression. But at the same time, I have a hard time with that theory, just because he went and bought all that stuff and he was planning it, and he was researching it, and he like really loved these survival shows. That to me doesn't seem like a guy who's the other guy who went missing, who went out there with nothing that now I don't know anything about him, so this but that if someone said suicide to me, would make more sense.
Speaker 1: You didn't have any gear, walked out there. He just went out there, Yeah, and didn't recently purchase a time. Yeah, this guy was like ready to go, like ready to survive out in the wilderness. So it wouldn't make sense to me then then he would go and do that. So totally, but I still can't rule it out just because of all the stuff the family said, so yes, and then all the other theories, the rest of the percentages, yeah, zero point five percent, whatever, whenever I have left whatever, Eagles one hundred and three.
Speaker 3: Though I do like your Hollywood theory. I feel like there is there's more than a zero percent chance something weird happened.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I don't think it's high percent, but something could have that is just a little too coincidental. It's same time, same age kind of guy, Like, I'm not a coincidence guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they do happen. But people also win the lottery. You know who doesn't most people? Yeah, so somebody has to win it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, another another baffling case, another bathly case. As usual.
Speaker 1: Let us know what you think, and thanks again for tuning into our show. We appreciate you all for listening and sharing locations and known with your friends and family. Be sure to like and follow us on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and YouTube, where you can find the videos of each episode. Also, if you'd like to support the show monetarily, please visit our website or Facebook store to buy some sweet Sweet swag. Additionally, you can subscribe to our patron account, YouTube and Apple where we'll have access to special events additional shows for paid customers only. Lastly, when enjoying the beauty of nature, whether backpacking, camping, or simply taking a walk, always remember to leave no trace.
Speaker 2: Thanks and we will see you all next time.