Speaker 1: Thank you for listening to Pictures Media Radio. Welcome to Policy and Rights show US. Welcomer Policy that Human joys. Welcome back to Policy Rights here in Depictions Media Radio, I'm your host, Michael cloggs. Okay, so we heard that David Suzuki has weth he's more or less tossing in the towel. He's saying he's giving up. I find that hard to believe that he would actually give up. But there are others in our community. They can step up into the place and fight for our environment the same as he has. Gretchen is still out there talking and trying to get people to understand that, hey, we need to do something about our environment, and we need to do something now. Now is the time to do it before our planet decides to do something to the human race where we are grossly overpopulated. That needs to needs to be dealt with. We are using way more land than any other species on the planet, and we are doing things that may not be in alignment with stewardship of the land that we are actually using, so a lot it has to be dealt with with.
Speaker 2: That.
Speaker 1: One of the biggest things that we can do as an individual stop buying their stuff. You don't need to go out and buy the latest greatest cell phone. You can make the one that you have work for years to come. You're telling you that that's not true, but it is actually true that we don't need to always be buying the latest greatest. We can by not buying it, we can actually force them to make things last longer on their networks. I mean, we have everybody walking around with their tablets, and it's kind of crazy that there was a social media report that hey, if your kids are at such and such day day camp, that their advisor is walking around with earphones on and not paying any attention to what the children are doing. There is no structure there there and their kids are allowed to run rampant, not exactly the kind of environment that I would want for my children. And hey, you know what, so there's that disconnect every now again. We don't need to always be part of the network. Take a break. There are lots of things that we can do outside of watching and watching social media and trying desperately to get more likes. Give up on this idea of having a large bank account in order to be successful. Find a way to make an impact on your community and that there you will find a far greater success, something that the corporations don't want you to think about. They want you to think about, Oh, I have to have this device, I have to have this car, I have to have this computer, I have to have this I have to have that, according to what they're saying, but making a greater impact on your fellow human being, showing kindness to those who live around you, standing up to tyranny when it happens in your neighborhood. That is the better way to find success than a bank account. If we do these things, we are showing our planet. We're showing the energy that that grand energy that controls our entire universe, that we are worthy as a species. All right, So let's move forward, and we're going to talk about Canada and trade, and we're also going to hear from the Prime Minister of Denmark as she talks about some of the great things that Denmark is actually doing. You talk about a country that puts more spirit into their citizens. Denmark is a place shorter work days, shorter work weeks, more time off to spend with family, and the government takes up the tab to make sure that you have a safe and happy existence. Okay, we are gonna hear from Melanie Jolie as she's talking about international trade and how Canada can step into being one of the great powers as far as trade is concerned. Canada itself is a resource country, which means that there's plenty of resources for us to sell mining fossil fuels. I know that mean and nasty thing, fossil fuels, but the fossil fuel industry also all those computers that you want, they need the plastic, and that plastic is gonna come from the fossil fuels. It has to be mined in brought out of the ground. So much for the dead dinosaurs. We're also going to hear from Danielle Smith and also dug Ford as hey, Alberta and Ontario are deciding to combine forces for energy, infrastructure and interprovincial trade. Now, for those of us who live in Canada, one of the things that actually is going to make Canada a stronger force is going to be interprovincial trade. If all the territories and provinces work together, that don't need as much trade from our neighbors to the south. So why don't we get started and we're going to hear from Meloni, Joe, and then we'll hear from uh Danielle and Doug and then we move on to the Prime Minister of Denmark.
Speaker 3: I will give you a couple of examples of researchers.
Speaker 4: Strewdon's example Alko, the Lyversis, Nuvo Brunswick, Perfection Security, LA Fiability Technology, Nuclear ravanci O Canada, the Supposi la Vamplin, the lens Clin Nuclear out the point.
Speaker 3: And let's think about also Huda Cheffik, who is.
Speaker 5: At MIGUIL right now designing the world first treaty printed ready to use blood test for diagnosis Tbrooke tuberculosis infections, and her work has the potential to revolutionize the detection of infectious disease.
Speaker 3: Are you doing that zoo every day?
Speaker 5: So you know we're proud of food up so and right here NBC, Anna Isabelle Sarcus Fernandez is developing frameworks for energy dissipation technologies and buildings. Her work will make our structures more resilient and cost effective.
Speaker 3: So great work, Ana, Isabelle.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So these projects go beyond research, they'll building blocks for a stronger, better future. And our funding supports every discipline in every stage of the journey. And my final point to all of you is Canada is the place to do research in the world because Canada holds the world what the world needs to all the researchers of the world watching us right now, I want you to think about Canada being the premier destination for your work.
Speaker 3: We want you to choose Canada because you know.
Speaker 5: What, We're a stable and trustworthy environment, a very democratic country. We have cutting it infrastructure, we have strong financial support, and we also invest in excellence. My message to you is Canada is not for sale. We're open for business and we're open for science. So thank you all for today, and let's make sure that we make Canadians crowd yes sibukum, thank you so much, thank you, thank.
Speaker 3: You all, thank you all.
Speaker 6: Wow, thank you very much for this announcement. Essentially, the research enabled by this announcement's coming and then the money to the researcher we greatly benefit and thrive science and research landscape here in Canada. So it's now my pleasure to introduce Ole ex speak up. Said you it, President of the Social Science and Humanities Research Council, and thank you for coming okay.
Speaker 7: Thank you doctor Caster for your kind introduction.
Speaker 8: Madame Laministe, Madame Roye, Madame Monsieur Grant, Madame uh oh See, Madame Amy Parent who is a co chair of our Indigenous Leadership Circle in Research and one of Canada's newest UNSCO chairs.
Speaker 7: So welcome.
Speaker 9: I also saw Dougan O'Neill from mess afew thank you for coming in Gail Murphy's hiding.
Speaker 7: Somewhere back there, Hi girl chas m v t R coleg.
Speaker 8: In monts play here that duan represent Federal, the Finance, mant Cherish and the Front the Grand and portans Doc Community Church, may O c for two, the Canada Comelminis Antony, Madame Laminis.
Speaker 7: Le fev govern rec.
Speaker 8: Lord Skill, sagda media les sar de la popula geordui a fort no saliuon vatra leadership, a volante constant invest celsois fundamentale. Who applicate the sleeping there or antidiscipline there don't tulle de men de sience human natorellegeni de la sante. Today, as the Minister emphasized, we are investing in new knowledge nearly six hundred million dollars is being awarded through NCERCS Discovery Grants, which gave researchers the means to explore, experiment and develop the next great idea. The these are the same grants I want to point out.
Speaker 9: That help lay the foundation for breakthroughs in Canada in areas such as artificial intelligence, quantum cryptography, and.
Speaker 7: Batteries for electric vehicles. Let's forget that.
Speaker 9: If these are what have come before, just imagine what today's researchers will uncover next. Today, the government is investing in new talent more than three hundred and sixty five million dollars for scholarships and fellowships, supporting more than four thousand, seven hundred students and emerging researchers. These are innovators and problem solvers whose ambitious ideas will generate the next era of research breakthroughs right here in Canada. Folks, this is a matter of national sovereignty. This investment is also in a better society and a greater understanding about people. More than two hundred and forty million dollars is going to social sciences and humanities recas Search to Shirk Insight grants, Insight Development Grants, partnership grants and Partnership development grants. These grants, as many of you know, play a crucial role in advancing knowledge, driving social change, and promoting a deeper understanding of the world around us. Today's investment is also in high risk, higher reward research. More than twenty five million dollars going to innovative interdisciplinary research to the New Frontiers and Research Funds Exploration Stream, which supports research that brings various disciplines together in new ways from bold innovative perspectives. The government is further investing in communities with nearly thirty million dollars to support colleges and polytechnics working hand in hand with local businesses to bring ideas to life in small towns and big cities from coast to coast. And in addition, the government is investing in a highly skilled workforce. Over twenty five million dollars is going to support unique in depth training experiences that play students alongside academic and industry experts to work on cutting edge research.
Speaker 7: Projects across sectors.
Speaker 8: Say Investe, Simon Quill Totals or Pastmilia Deal, arm Vienne Marquay and Journey Plan.
Speaker 7: The promise for documento for Labanier to Canada.
Speaker 8: There's organism federal, the finance j X, free name, Perlstacon or Beneficierre. Colleague us Fierre de Puer says it's free Curieu in Avon and Spirance lavois l. Now to the best part of the announcement. I'm not going to do that. I'm going to turn the podium over to Madame Baill.
Speaker 3: Yes, okay, yeah, thank you.
Speaker 1: The correct.
Speaker 7: I'll get the other way. Yeah yeah, wait, okay, I take your afterwards.
Speaker 5: We'll take care all okay, Bella, you're in church. Well we'll proceed to questions formatage one, Question one follow up.
Speaker 10: First question to Global.
Speaker 11: Him Minister Juallye.
Speaker 12: This is neat the Gutcha with Global National News. We heard that this announcement made today is a matter of national sovereignty. You also said Canada is not for sale comments perhaps that may not take on such meaning or maybe not even have been mentioned had it not been for threats from the US president. So that's what I want to ask you about. Donald Trump says he wants to put new fifty percent tariffs on copper. Does your government still believe that Canada can get a deal without tariffs on Canadian industries by July twenty first, and will you agree to a deal with the US that maintains any tariffs on Canada.
Speaker 5: Okay, so first and foremost, when it comes to the latest declaration from the President in the United States, we have not yet seen an executive order. Of course I'm misseeing. Washington is following very closely, as well as the entire team back in Ottawa. That being said, every single journalist and the country wants to have more information about the negotiations, and my answer is always the same.
Speaker 3: We will let the Prime Minister do.
Speaker 5: The negotiation, supported of course by our negotiator in chief back in Washington, Kerston Hollman, and we will not negotiate in public. That being said, Being the Minister of Industry, my job right now is to make sure that in the context of this trade war, I'm supporting the frontlines of this trade war, which are the workers and the companies affected by the unjustifiable and unjustified tariffs against aluminum workers, against against also steel workers, and of course against.
Speaker 3: The auto workers. And that's what I'm working every single day.
Speaker 12: I maintain my job is to still ask the questions, so I want to zero in on one specific industry. Will your government agree to any level of tariffs on Canada's auto industry to make a deal with the US.
Speaker 5: Our goal has always been to make make sure that we protect the jobs, and right now my job is to support the industry.
Speaker 3: So we are working on.
Speaker 5: An auto two billion dollar fund to support the workers and the industries. Again, this morning, I was in contact with auto CEOs back in Ontario, and I've been in contact also with the Minister of Industry Vic Fidelli last night again on this issue.
Speaker 3: Thank you, good question him.
Speaker 13: Minister Thomas sil from Bloomberg, sorry to also ask about auto makers and tariffs. They have production in Ontario in response to tariff's already Toyota yesterday was saying they may have to adjust production in response to that if they don't change. So Canada's penalizing companies for such moves, When do those penalties kick in and do they retroactively apply to companies who have already adjusted their production down.
Speaker 5: So first and foremost, we're always open for discussion with the auto sector, maybe with the D three that the third tree, so basically Ford, Stealentis and GM, but also with the Japanese automakers Honda and Toyota. We're having a broad range of conversations with them, maybe on ZEV mandates, may be also on the remission system. Our goal is to make sure that ultimately we can.
Speaker 3: Protect jobs because we know the auto sector.
Speaker 5: Is fundamental to Canada's manufacturing sector and tour national sovereignty. What I'm having conversations with them about is how also they can use more of our steel and aluminum, because I want.
Speaker 3: To make sure as we look at the trade.
Speaker 5: War going on, that we're supporting all three industries affective, still, aluminum and auto, and that we can work together.
Speaker 3: To help each other.
Speaker 13: Just to follow up and are those two things linked? Could they sort of get relief in return for using more Canadian steel and aluminum.
Speaker 5: So I won't answer directly your question BECA is of course I don't negotiate in public, like I said, But of course we're in solution mode and we're in contact with all the different CEOs and union leaders in the sector.
Speaker 3: These are difficult times.
Speaker 5: You know, when we talk about a trade war, it's a term that we don't take likely. We know that a lot of people are anxious in these sectors.
Speaker 14: We know that.
Speaker 5: Livelihoods are at stake, and so that's why we're really really looking at the core of the issue while at the same time negotiating, so we can do both reinforce the sector, make sure that there are still investments in these three sectors, and meanwhile negotiate and that's what we'll do. Last question, Good morning, bonzov if I really peck.
Speaker 3: Second for in Strekenegian.
Speaker 4: Med Premier ma Ivatsuaki shaq Waker the tariff.
Speaker 3: So monasse main persons that there case tariff in.
Speaker 4: Langer A new portgo linco care is that my decrep l like on the creeve of the kiss the bass c n FL Amazon Blan Lava Menjo de Claire mouse alone and that on contact Distrie contact Glencore, Prita, ves Tek Resources among objective balance of consoler narsis suiv E Scullly position the nu Vo tariff Americane, the move girl are in mac conversial security as you need to see the veterans the previous milit blanche so pre say lo god preally there ne gouvern no matt mon like.
Speaker 3: Maldri desct Negotier. This is confet.
Speaker 11: All right, well, good morning everyone, and thank you so much for joining us. It is my pleasure to welcome Premier doug Ford to Alberta for an announcement that is in every way as historic as the Calvarie Stampede that he's been attending over the last couple of days, and is every bit as exciting. I'd like to acknowledge that both of us have ministers and members of our teams in the room as well, and i'd like to welcome the Honorable Stephen Lacci, who is Ontario's Minister of Energy and Mind, the Honorable KINGA Surma, Ontario's Minister of Infrastructure, and MPP Wilboma, the Parliamentary secret Assistant to the Premier, Minister of Indigenous Affairs and First Nations Economic Reconciliation, Minister of Intergovernmental Affairs and Minister of Northern Economic Development and Growth to Alberta. He's got a very long title. And Minister Thompson is all right, and Minister Thompson, who I will let the Premier tell you a little bit more about about his portfolios. Oh gosh, okay, it's a couple he's going to go. I I'd also like to acknowledge. Alberta's Minister of Energy and Minerals, the Honorable Brian Jean. We've got Alberta's Minister of John's, Economy, Trade and Immigration, the Honorable Joseph Scal, Alberta's Minister of Transportation and Economic Corridors, the Honorable Devindreation, and Alberta's Minister of Infrastructure, the Honorable Martin Longer here as well. Did I miss any of my people? All right? I think we've got a few more that are outside as well. We're also joined by guests from energy companies that have strong ties in both Alberta and Ontario, and today mark's an important step forward in uniting our country as Alberta joins forces with Ontario to pursue our shared goals of economic growth, tunity and prosperity. We're signing two memorandums of understanding that will see us advance pipelines and pathways to boost expores of homegrown energy and critical minerals to markets across Canada and across the world, and work collaboratively to support both Ontario's automotive industry as well as Alberta's liquor manufacturing industry. Industries that contribute substantially to our provincial economies. The first of these agreements formalizes our commitment to working together to maximize the economic value of Canada's energy resources and enhance Canada's energy security and global competitiveness. We're uniting with Ontario to amplify our voices and double down on our efforts to carve a path forward together for Alberta, for Ontario, and for Canada. Through this agreement, we'll work together to explore ways to improve networks and corridors that better connect our energy and critical minerals to markets here at home, as well as international markets around the globe. We'll focus on supporting industry efforts to build oil and gas pipelines and re finding processing and supply chains for energy and critical minerals between Alberta and Ontario. Will work towards accelerating our exports across industries, and that means we're seeking to add more rail lines to increased capacity and enhance access to ports, including to sites in James Bay and southern Ontario. And we will share expertise to advanced development of nuclear energy solutions so our provinces can keep up with the ever growing demand on Alberta and Ontario's electricity grids. We know there's strength in taking a united front, but we cannot achieve our shared provincial goals without cooperation from the federal government. It's vital that the federal government gets fully on board with creating the conditions necessary to strengthen Canada's economy and competitiveness, improve investor confidence, and grow productivity. Ottawa must answer our calls and remove all federal barriers that have harmed Canada's ability to grow the energy sector and other industries such as mining and manufacturing. And this includes, but is not to repealing or amending the Impact Assessment Act and the oil tanker ban. We're also working to repeal the net zero power regulations and the proposed oil and gas production cap. We also call on the federal government to repeal their electric vehicle mandate that comes into effect next year. Last year, only four point two percent of the cars sold in Alberta were zero emission vehicles, and the federal government's EVY mandate says that twenty percent of cars sold in twenty twenty six must be zero emissions vehicles. We buy about two hundred thousand cars, so that would be about forty thousand cars, so we would have to buy nearly every single zero emission vehicle manufactured in Ontario last year to hit the twenty percent target. And we're just one province. So moving federal barriers will allow Alberta and Ontario to attract investment, project and project partners. We need to get shovels in the ground, grow industries and create jobs. I'm excited to continue collaborating with Ontarios so we can reach our shared goals, including to advance pipelines and responsible energy development. I am also pleased to partner with Premier Forward to support the growth of two other major industries of significance to Alberta and Ontario. The second Memorandum of Understanding outline Alberta's commitment to explore ways to prioritize the purchase of made in Canada vehicles for our government fleets in a show of support for Ontario's automotive industry, and it sets the stage for Ontario's government to work with Alberta to explore ways to find additional opportunities to improve the interprovincial trade of liquor products to create even more opportunity for our producers. Today's signing Marks and Historic Partnership founded in a mutual ambition to reach the full potential of our provinces, to grow our list of global customers for our energy resources, and to achieve long term prosperity for all Canadians. I'll now turn it over to Premier Forward to speak more about today's mouse.
Speaker 15: Well.
Speaker 16: Good morning everyone, and boy, I've had a great time here in Alberta, and I love Calgary and the people here. There's amazing group of folks that live here. It's my pleasure to be here with so many members of our government.
Speaker 15: I know you run through them. I'm going to run through them one more time.
Speaker 16: Minister letcha, Minister Serma, Minister Thompson, Ministers off MPa Wiboma. I want to start by thanking my friend Danielle, Premier Smith, thank you for hosting us with this great city of Calgary and my You know, I got to tell my friends in Ontario you want to come to a happening place, Come to Alberta, come to the Stampede. You're gonna have a great time in this beautiful province of Alberta. It's absolutely stunning here. Nothing showcases the wild Rose spirit like the Calgary stampede. The people of Alberta have been such gracious hosts. Thank you for your hospitality. Friends. I'm here with Premier Smith today because it's never been more important for Canadians to stand united. From coast to coast to coast, President Trump's tariffs and the economic uncertainty they've created, their hurting workers and businesses in every part of our great country. Steelmakers and aluminum workers in Ontario and Quebec, fishermen and women in British Columbia and Atlantic Canada. Farmers across the Perrys, including right here in Alberta. Miners across Canada's beautiful North. No region has been spared in the face of uncertainty. Canadians are coming together to stand up for our country and build a stronger, more united Canada. That's why just a few weeks ago, Premier Smith and I were in Saskatoon to sign a historic agreement dunlocked free trade between Alberta and Ontario. Over the last few months, Ontario has signed agreements with a total of six provinces to support free trade across Canada. We're doing this because we need to unlock the full potential of our economy. We need to tear down the barriers in red tape that have held us back for far, far too long. We need to make Canada more competitive, more resilient, and more self reliant. We need to build the future for Canada where we can proudly stand tall, strong, united and independent, so we can stand up to President Trump's tariffs in anything else that comes our way. That's what brings us here today to sign two new agreements between Alberta and Ontario that will open access to new markets and create thousands of new jobs across Canada. These agreements are transformational. Ontario and Alberta are working together to build new energy and trade infrastructure, including pipelinees and rail lines, so we get unlocked the full potential of Kanada's economy by diversifying our trading partners and bringing our natural resources to new customers and new markets. Built using Ontario steel, new pipelines would connect Western Canadian oil and gas to existing in potential new refineries in southern Ontario. They will also expand export opportunities, bringing Western oil and gas to new tide waters right across the world, including by way of a potential new James Bay deep sea port in northern Ontario. New rail lines would connect Ontario's Ring of Fire region, critical mineral mining projects and processing facility to Western Canadian ports. As we build an end to end critical mineral supply chain. This is how we diversify our trading partners. This is how we make ourselves less reliant on the United State dates. This is how we secure the future of Canada. To move these ambitious projects forward, Ontario and Alberta will soon launch a joint feasibility study to determine the best route for economic and energy corridors, make recommendations on what's financing and commercial tools might be needed to de risk and learn how we can best support home grown supply chains, including Ontario's steel sector in our great steel makers. As we build the future of Canada, we will always meet our duty to consult with Indigenous partners and support their involvement with historic funding to help First nations become equity partners in these nation building projects.
Speaker 15: This agreement is a big step forward to.
Speaker 16: Succeed to build a more competitive, resilient, and self reliant future, we need the federal government to do its part. We need the federal government the cut red tape and bring regulatory certainty so Canada can attract the kind of private sector investments that will be critical to build this energy in trade infrastructure. No one will build a pipeline to tide waters if there's a ban on tankers.
Speaker 15: This is the craziest thing I've ever heard of. Ban on tankers.
Speaker 16: No one will invest in opening you mine if it takes fifteen years to get to Yes, it's time to end excuses and it's time to start building, and we need to start building now. As part of our agreements today, we've also agreed that Alberta will prioritize Canadian made vehicles for its government's fleets. For our part, Ontario will support the increase availability of Alberta beer, wine and spirits. And they have some great wine and spirits and beer coming. You could just see it outside. Everyone have a few cold ones on Ontario ourselves.
Speaker 15: Friends.
Speaker 16: This is how we protect Canada. We need to protect to get together, to unlock the country's full potential. We need to build infrastructure that will bind Canada together and support workers in every part of the country. We need to respect and celebrate every province, every territory and do everything in our power to help workers, businesses, and communities thrive. I'm honored to do my part to help the amazing people of Alberta. And I thank my friend Premier Smith for helping the people of Ontario. We're going to keep working to build Canada. We're going to stand united. We're going to protect the true North, strong and free. Thank you, and make God bless the people of Canada.
Speaker 15: Thank you.
Speaker 17: I think I'm going to borrow.
Speaker 18: The first.
Speaker 15: Yeah, you can both.
Speaker 13: M and then yes, and what the moms?
Speaker 15: And then what the used to turn GM evers or excise?
Speaker 19: Okay?
Speaker 11: You three?
Speaker 15: Usually one?
Speaker 1: Sure?
Speaker 19: Yeah?
Speaker 9: Is there the thing I usually sorts?
Speaker 18: Your dad.
Speaker 14: Agree?
Speaker 17: One more?
Speaker 15: That's perfect?
Speaker 13: They give the great perfect did you number two?
Speaker 9: Okay?
Speaker 8: That kind of years?
Speaker 15: I don't know, can.
Speaker 20: Years?
Speaker 5: Have you?
Speaker 17: Please right over here?
Speaker 7: That's perfect?
Speaker 15: Thank you, that's great.
Speaker 9: Think you're really respond.
Speaker 10: Sorr says of you.
Speaker 15: That's great.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 15: I see a lot of four nation people here. So I'm taking this here, taking my golf bump.
Speaker 10: How do you get this?
Speaker 15: Okay, there, I'll put the Alberta. That's a great job.
Speaker 21: Let me tell you a funny story. Yesterdaye Okay, so we're sitting at the table and.
Speaker 13: I just got this buff up.
Speaker 15: You know, it's only has two little.
Speaker 21: Pints and a picked up like money puppies. And as soon as they said previere woard come up day.
Speaker 15: And that was it. He was good U.
Speaker 5: Or it just whipped felt right off?
Speaker 11: Well you whipped the off and this is this pants fall.
Speaker 2: That would not be good.
Speaker 1: Arnold sports later.
Speaker 15: Crazy all right, and let's get that off feel pretty.
Speaker 17: So we'll start the media Q Q and A here in a minute. We are on a tight schedule, so if we can keep the questions short, we'll try to have the premieres keep their answer short as well, so we can take as many questions as possible. We'll start off with questions here in the room. First, one question on full up state your name and outlet for the record, and we'll start off with our first at the mic. Well, this is why for him to get his belt sorted out?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, oh.
Speaker 22: All right, emmigranny with the globe and mail on the pipeline's front. I'm curious what your actual plan is there. There's not necessarily a whole lot of love for oil pipelines necessarily heading east.
Speaker 3: So what do we what can we expect?
Speaker 22: Intern of concrete, where it might start, where it might go.
Speaker 11: Well, first of all, I'd say we have done lots of polling on the attitude towards pipelines, and in every single province it's a majority, and in some cases well above seventy percent. I don't think any Ontario is any different. Ontario, I think knows that with Line five right now, it goes through Michigan to feed Sarnia, and that puts them in a precarious position. The governor of Michigan has been trying to shut that pipeline down for years, and so we have always felt that having a made in Canada solution with a pipeline option going to not only Ontario and get back, it just makes sense from an energy security point of view. And the world changed in November, and I think Canadians understand that that we've got to start acting like a country. We've got to start supporting each other. And I think that that is the prevailing sentiment in the country. But all love Premier sport Forward speak for his own people.
Speaker 16: Well, thank you, Premier Smith. Premier Smith was bang on. We have the governor of Michigan constantly threatening to close down the pipeline. Do you know the disaster that would create in Ontario would basically shut down Pearson International Airport, largest airport in the country. Prices would go through the roof. I'm tired of relying on the United States, and let's make no mistake about it. I love the US, I love the American people, but there's one person that's causing a problem right now. And as President Trump, we want to move forward. We want to build the amcan Fortress. But the days of relying on the United States one hundred percent, they're done.
Speaker 15: They're gone.
Speaker 16: We're going to start being reliant and self reliant on each other. We have the strongest We're an economic powerhouse in Canada. We're going to continue growing free trade being one within all the provinces. That will add over two hundred billion dollars to our economy, anywhere up to six percent of our GDP. We have to start diversifying our trade right across the world. People would love great Alberta oil, that love products critical minerals from Ontario. That's what we start doing and stopping reliant on our neighbors to the south. Because there's uncertainty right now and it's hurting our country and the.
Speaker 22: Fact these are MOUs I mean sometimes maus don't get a whole of attraction. What makes us one different?
Speaker 15: Well, what makes a difference. We're doers.
Speaker 16: There's a lot of politicians that are talkers in the federal government, not the present one, because we're hoping we're going to be able to work with the president federal government, but for far too long, for ten years under Prime Minister Trudeau, they were treated terribly. The West was treated terribly, Saskatchewan and Alberta. And as I said in our meeting and you heard it, Premier Smith, we got to start showing respect. Ottawa has starts showing respect to the great folks in the West, especially Saskatchewan and Alberta.
Speaker 14: Over Michael Scott Strasser post Media question for Premier Smith. Prime Minister Carne was in Calgary over the weekend. Did you speak to him or any other members of the Liberal government.
Speaker 11: I kept running into ministers. I feel like we're getting love bombed right now. Everywhere I look there's a new either a prime minister or a federal Liberal minister. And you know that's positive. I think they're out here there hearing direct feedback about how frustrated the energy industry has been from the last ten years of bad laws. No one's sugarcoating it. That's what the feedback that I'm getting as well. So they're getting it pretty straight and I'm glad they're hearing it. And so I did happen to have a crossover with the Prime Minister at the Carpenters Union event, and he and I chat a little bit about his pancake clipping technique, which needs a little work, and that's fine, he can come back and do some more practice. But I understand that he told the media there that he thinks a bitchumin pipeline to the northwest BC coast is very likely to be on the large project's list, and I think that that is a very positive sentiment. We've got a little bit of work to do to see what that will look like, but we've been very actively engaged with the pipeline companies, asking them what they think the best projects are. And notwithstanding the project that we hope to work on today to James Bay, having an access to the northwest PC coast is essential to being able to get to Asian markets, and that's the one that we hear the most enthusiasm for so we'll work with the Prime Minister on that and hope to have some good news in that regarding a few months.
Speaker 23: To you all, it's great to have Prime Minister Fredrickson with us in the European Parliament. D META, thank you for your clear presentation and plenary this morning and for your commitment and leadership at this critical time.
Speaker 18: For those of you who followed, there were numerous.
Speaker 23: Members who took the floor and it has just been concluded together with the Commissioner Zeftovic, and I think the message from this session has been that Europe really must meet this moment. We must be able to overcome the challenges that we face, and the Danish presidency comes at the right time to deliver the strong Europe in a changing world that we want to see. This Parliament will be a partner as we work towards a safer, smarter and stronger union. We are already acting on defense, addressing migration challenges, we are simplifying legislation, and we are investing in Europe's competitiveness. A couple of points. First, on security. Investment is one element. However, this must be coupled and we heard this in the Chamber with a drive to avoid fragmentation to increase production, and in this regard we are doing our part. We adopted very quickly our position on the European Defense Industry Program, the Act and Support of Ammunition Production and the Common Procurement Act, and it is with the same sense of urgency that we will work towards a conclusion of the latest defense Omnipus package by the end of the year, and we will work with your Minister's matter in hoping to deliver that second. Security almost also means effective migration management, also highly dominant in today's debates. Migration must be firm, it must be fair, and it must be fast, fair with those who are genuinely in need of protection, firm with those who are not eligible, and fast in returning those who must do so. The Parliament in fact is committing to advancing the return regulation swiftly.
Speaker 18: So this will help help ensure that return decisions are.
Speaker 23: Enforced in a harmonized way and that our asylum systems remain credible and sustainable. And I'm convinced that in the next six months, with the team that we have, we can see results. Secure Europ also depends on a strong and competitive economy. This will also be the focus of the next six months this Parliament and the Danish presidency. We understand that if we want Europe to be competitive, we need to cut unnecessary bureaucracy. Parliament in this regard is very much pushing the simplification agenda. We have voted to postpone certain reporting obligations and for EU companies and potential penalties for car manufacturers. We're moving ahead with changes to the Corporate Sustainability Reporting Directive and the Corporate Sustainability Due Diligence Directive and also SEABAM corbon carbon border adjustment to adapt them to current reality. Last, but not least, and the number of members mentioned this together with the Commission, A word on the long term budget the MFF. A stronger Europe needs a strategic, flexible and a responsible budget where funds match objectives.
Speaker 18: For us, the clearest of messages that we are ready.
Speaker 23: We have the Commission President in the Conference of Presidents in a few hours from now in this building where we will set out once again our priorities as we define them in May and our expectations from the Commission proposal next week. So last word with Denmark taking the reins in the Council. I very much know that together we can build a more secure, competitive and resilient Europe.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 10: Premi Minister for days, thank you Roberta, thank you for inviting me to Strashpoort today. And as you said, Denmark is taking over the presidents at a very defining moment for Europe. We got a lot of support today, not on all topics from all groups, but if I put it all together, then we have support from the European Parliament to do what is necessary during the.
Speaker 18: Next six months.
Speaker 10: I think we had quite a good discussion today For the majority of the politicians in European Parliament. We have agreed that the task is clear. We have to ensure that Europe will.
Speaker 18: Be able to.
Speaker 10: Handle all the different challenges in front of us, that we have to act quickly, and that we have to work together in the Council and the European Parliament.
Speaker 18: For me, there is only one.
Speaker 10: Answer to all the challenges that we are facing right.
Speaker 18: Now, and it is Europe.
Speaker 1: Europe.
Speaker 10: Europe, a strong, saved Europe is absolute a main goal for the Danish presidency and it has been at the forefront of our discussions today, with all the uncertainty in the world, and with all the uncertainty in daily life for many Europeans, we have to create a stronger and save Europe for our citizens.
Speaker 2: To achieve this.
Speaker 18: Goal, our main.
Speaker 10: Topic, our main goal is to re arm Europe not later than two thousand and thirty, and we have a lot of measures that has to be taken to ensure this. Develop capability projects together, scale up of course our defense industry, procure together, and break down all the barriers and obstacles that are on our way. We have, of course to continue our support to Ukraine. We have to put them in the best possible position on the battlefield, but also on the negotiation table.
Speaker 18: So, as I said to.
Speaker 10: The Parliament, I think we have to look at our support for Ukraine in a different way. This is not only a question about Ukraine, it's a question about Europe. They are now defending Europe, our continent. A strong Europe means also a safe Europe. We talked a lot about migration today. It's a dividing question for the European Parliament, but we have to continue finding the right measures.
Speaker 18: I think a lot of good proposals.
Speaker 10: Are now on the table from the Commission, and we will do what we can to ensure that we will have the necessary results. We have to lower the influx, we have to increase the number of returns, and we have to protect our external borders. And as you said, we also have to build a competitive and green Europe, so east barriers and burdens, reduce energy prices and promote the needed investments. There are a lot of different tasks in front of us. They're all interlinked and none of them are easy. But if we are able to work together the Council and the Parliament the way the two of us are working together, then I'm pretty sure that we will manage and I look forward in taking over the presidency.
Speaker 18: Thank you. We know have the time for a few questions. And if you take a question, can you stay to a name media and who do you as a question to.
Speaker 2: Message from datias, national radio and television. Judging from the different rounds of applause that you got in the hemicycle, Denmark has put climate change and twenty forty goal on the attender already for environmental ministers meeting in your hometown. Prime Minister aill board later this week, and they've convened an Extraordinary Council for the eighteenth of September to get a goal from from the Council on the twenty forty message. Judging from the applause and you experience today, are you sure and have you assured that you can get Parliament on board for this? And to President Metzilla, I know you're the President of the Parliament, but you also are very experienced MEP, so you know this chamber better than most. Are you going to put the twenty forty targets in Parliament on a fast track for handling this? And what is your estimation on the new composition of the Parliament in order to get Ambitsius goal some climate change through the parliament.
Speaker 18: Thank you for that question.
Speaker 10: Unfortunately, I think all green decisions are going to be difficult in the next half a year. And I say unfortunately because I really believe that we have to fight climate change, and I think we have shown in Denmark that it is possible to have very high ambitions and to ensure the green transition without destroying the social balance in your country. In fact, thousands of people are now going to job every day in Denmark because of the green transition, not the other way around.
Speaker 18: So of course a.
Speaker 10: New target when it comes to two thousand and forty is important, but it is also important that we get rid of Russian oil and gas. For me, these two things are interlinked, and when we're talking about security in Europe, it is interlinked to energy. So I want you to be independent in all from all angles, including energy. So we will, we will, we will do our best. But as you said, it looks difficult, and it seems to me that because there are so many other things on the table and so many challenges, that that some of some colleagues are starting to forget that fighting climate change should be one of our top priorities.
Speaker 18: But we will try. So how I know this parliament or what I can predict. I mentioned the reference.
Speaker 23: I mentioned specific references to climate legislation that we've already passed and found majorities for for a reason, because I want to prove that Europe and this Parliament remains resolute on that direction of tackling climate change.
Speaker 18: What we also have to recognize is.
Speaker 23: That this Parliament is different to the previous one, and perhaps there is an increasing number of members who when they look back at what has been decided by the Chamber.
Speaker 18: Is a symbol of having gone too far, too fast.
Speaker 23: That is why also coupling any environmental legislation and next steps with the simplification agenda, with securing jobs, which securing growth, will help us in creating an overall sense that we can find majorities in this house. If we look only to one side, or we'll look to the other side, we will not find those majorities. So my job is also to make sure that the center works together in this regard. On twenty forty specifically, there was just a request for urgency withdrawn a couple of minutes ago.
Speaker 18: From the plenary, so we will see how that develops.
Speaker 23: It has been referred to the relevant committees, which is Environment and Industry, and we will see reporters are identified.
Speaker 18: But in terms of finding negotiations and.
Speaker 23: Moving what we will try to do, at least what I hope to do is that when you have a partner in the Council that you can move lockstep together, then we will manage. That's my, let's say, optimistic hope. As of today seventh July eighth July, we will speak again in December at the end of the Danish presidency.
Speaker 17: Thank you.
Speaker 9: We have financial times.
Speaker 18: Open at the ft.
Speaker 19: Prime Minister, I would like to ask you. In the past, you have dropped opposition to more joint debt and European level funding for defense. What I'm asking you today is would you be open to more joint debt for any other reason than boosting defense funding.
Speaker 24: Thanks well.
Speaker 10: My take on this question about financing some of the needed measures are totally into linked with the question about security in Europe, and for me, number one priority is rearming Europe. I am, as you probably know, one of the European leaders that unfortunately, I believe that Russia are willing to continue the war not only in Ukraine but also in other parts of Europe, and therefore we have to rearm ourself. And of course, when you look at the world with my eyes and putting security as number one and the need for rearming Europe is number one priority, then you have to be pragmatic on how to reach that goal. And I am aware of course that our starting point in the Member States are different when it comes to financing five percent, as we agreed on in Hark only a few weeks ago, and therefore we are now being more flexible and pragmatic in the discussions about the next budget. But for me it's linked with the rearming of Europe and not any other questions.
Speaker 18: Next question we will dig Lisa.
Speaker 24: Hi Lisa Haslon from TV two Denmark. My question is a more geopolitical one, a more political one for you, missus, Mittla, I wonder you represent the European citizens, and I wonder how you see the European interests that are at stake here in our relations with the US, specifically with the Trump administration. How would you like to see European interests asserted towards Trump, who's also pressuring us the Europeans on trade, on defense, geobilitically towards the Kingdom of Denmark, and of course also again on the citizens who might have to pay the price in terms of tariffs on European goods. How would you like to assert European interest And for you, Prime Minister, more specific questions relating to the trade negotiations that are taking place at the moment with the Americans. What kind of a trade deal would you be willing to accept and would you accept in the European Council a trade deal that would leave ten percent or more percent tariffs on European goods thanks, so.
Speaker 23: I will answer in a way I would answer any question in terms of what Europe needs to be best at is coherence. And if I look back in the past, where perhaps we didn't get things right is when we were not coherent, where we didn't speak with one voice, where there was an expectation that we would say things and we did another, where unpredictability led more than predictability that our citizens, our businesses, our industries need so much more of.
Speaker 18: Last year, when all European citizens.
Speaker 23: Went to vote for this Parliament, they asked for clarity on making sure they're more secure, their life is easier, and that their job is guaranteed. That is what we need to keep at the back of everything, because otherwise we cannot go in twenty twenty nine and ask those citizens to once again trust us with five years of decision making in this House that should impact their everyday lives. And it is against this background that we also ask that the messaging with the United States takes place. We are firm and we continue to be firm in our belief that tariffs benefit nobody. We do not want a protractive, protracted trade war. We do not want a slippery, slow, broad to the bottom race of protectionism. We're also realistic in that what coherence will bring is what we can tell our businesses and our citizens to expect. So the next few days, and we have full faith in Commission as Sehovich and his team is that we need to come out of this summer with that kind of certainty that our citizens will feel. If we don't have that, I predict that we will have a more let's say, unpredictability, which we don't want. And in this case from our end as a Parliament, we will have a role to play on the actual trade agreement, and therefore our International Trade Committee is very much on the ball in disregard and from a bilateral perspective, we have always had excellent cooperation with Congress. Different countries have relations with their counterparts on which they've worked with on similar issues. Where on international issues, whether on human rights, whether on geopolitical causes on Ukraine, we find communalities. When it comes to our positions on Iran, we find communalities. We can help in that debate because we also want as an understanding from the US when they see what we are doing that we essentially remain their biggest and best partner if I could say.
Speaker 18: And on trade, I don't have a lot to add. I totally agree and.
Speaker 10: War on trade and terrors will not only be a burden to Europe, to our companies and our citizens, but also to US companies and therefore US citizens.
Speaker 18: So I think we should do what we can to avoid it.
Speaker 10: The negotiations are at a critical state right now because deadline is just in front of us. So I don't have any more to add.
Speaker 14: Thank you.
Speaker 18: We will take a last question and I had first.
Speaker 15: Thank you so much.
Speaker 20: Irina Needeva Strasbourg Calling is the name of the Bulgarian public radio program I'm working with Madam President. After the vote on Bulgaria adaption of the euro So this is this historic URU moment for Bulgaria and before the first of January, how should the EU institutions address the concerns of some citizens that the price will rise up? Having in mind that the uru's skeptical sentiments are amplified by anti EU this information campaign also run by political actors or on a high level. And I have a question also to the Danish Prime Minister. How does the Danish presidency see the latest on large bridgement of the Eurozone being at the same time, outside the Eurozone.
Speaker 18: My part is easier, I think. So I think we have.
Speaker 23: An excellent result in the Plenary just a few moments ago, when five hundred and thirty one members voted for Bulgaria to join the Eurozone and paving I would say, the last steps of what we have been saying for a long time, that ev estabilnost, you know, the euroman security and stability. There was an attempt to block this vote today it failed. So the message for any concerns in that regard is quite resounding and clear. On the on let's say, the difficulties and the questions. So we have a lot of Bulgarian citizens who asked us those questions, and we need to answer them. We need to answer them by saying that Bulgaria has shown incredible commitment by seeing the resounding success after so many years of being outside that Bulgaria shows inside the Shanngan Area decision that was taken last year, by having achieved already substantial progress towards full economic convergence, by saying the truth that the lev has been linked to the Euro for over twenty five years, so Bulgaria is not starting from zero. I believe, and I know because I went through this debate in my country when the euro was introduced and the concerns were similar, that we need to counter them with facts, honest debates as to what is true and what is not.
Speaker 10: You said it yourself, thank you for your question that Denmark, as a member state, we haven't opt out when it comes to euro so I don't think it's up to me to give any advices or to engage in specific questions. As a member of the European Council, we support the work that has been done from Bulgaria and from the Commission when it comes to this question.
Speaker 1: The show has been produced by Depictions Media. Please contact us at depictions dot media for more information.