Speaker 1: Streaming live on the Ihearts Radio WAB. This is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to the ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve. I'm Steve Rigna. He's Mike. Could I am a Henry? You got some breaking news? Yep?
Speaker 1: Well, this is I on the Ball breaking news on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 3: Game three of the World Series is tonight at five oh eight pm. The Dodgers are leading the series two to nothing.
Speaker 2: I'll make my crack prediction. Yankies are gonna win and win it all. Yankees come back and win it all. The ATTORNI is not a quarter will get you to playing. Are you're gonna break that news? No, we could talk about that.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's he's uh, he's playing hurt his shoulder, right, Yeah, he sublected. I don't think you know, that's a scene that's come back pretty quick. Yeah. The uh, you know, I tell you know, they they they're they're bagging on Joe Been for doing so bad, you know. Reggie Jackson, mister October. I mean that series against the Dodgers, he was doing terrible until that last game, and he had three home runs and three pitches, and that's what everyone remembers. We'll see if Judge comes back and starts starts putting the contact in the right now he's looked horrible at the play. Yeah, goodness, judge, judge, Yeah, he's you paying attention. No, I'm actually texting. Oh, I'm sorry, I have an appointment for tomorrow. Yeah. Yeah, no, you're you're right though, I mean everybody, all these guys and both. They'll go back home and see what happens. Yeah, that that game one was holy crap. Yeah, you unbelievable. Yeah, he had that game one and then he didn't. But we'll see. I'm not even a Yankee. I don't really care. But I thought they would win it before the series. But now that the odds are better to win it when not? Yeah? Why now? Yeah?
Speaker 3: The Dodgers really only have two really good starting pitchers too, and they use them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they already used them. Yeah. Yeah, I do think the Yankees, well, I would take I'd certainly be taking the Yankees tonight. I think that they're gonna they're gonna come back tonight and win Yankee Stadium, and that place canna be rocking.
Speaker 3: Arizona basketball will play their last exhibition game tonight at seven pm against Point Loma.
Speaker 2: Yeah, another exhibition before next week's first game, and we'll see how they do.
Speaker 3: Do we know if crevos's his status?
Speaker 2: No, I don't think he'll blay you until next week.
Speaker 3: The new college football rankings came out yesterday. The top four remains in the same order of Oregon, Georgia, Penn State, Ohio State, and Washington State, and and Colorado have entered the top twenty five for the first time this season.
Speaker 2: The uh, it's the coaches. It's a coach of pol that's the a people. Eight people. Yeah, the uh? I think I heard that Ohio State and yeah, Penn State. Ohio State flipped in another pool. I can't remember which bull that was. But the good thing they play this week, So yeah, it was gonna say they'll figure they'll certainly figure it out this week. It'll be interesting to see. I wonder if Ohio State was looking past Nebraska towards Penn State. Where's his game? Happy Valley? Right, it's in Happy Valley. Yeah, tell you what, there's a that's a hell of a hard place to play.
Speaker 3: Packers quarterback Jordan Love left yesterday's game against the Jaguars with a groin injury. However, the test today showed that there's no significant damage in the injury is not expected to be a long term one.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: Niners running back Christian McCaffrey is expected to be practicing next week and we'll possibly be back for the game on November tenth against the Buccaneers.
Speaker 2: Watch out for the four to nine ers when he comes back.
Speaker 3: I think they've said I think they've started three and four, like three of us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the NFC championship hiotographic and it's always good to play the say the Cowboys. Is you a little boost?
Speaker 3: The Cardinals improved to foreign four after a game winning field goal against the Dolphins yesterday.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're they're they're I don't even know how they win, but they're winning bad because Dolphins are el stingo grande. They you understand, you say, yeah, I spaniel, Yeah the gets better when I've had a few uh those heckues the uh yeah, Well Dolphins were terrible. They just couldn't they couldn't stop kind of Murray was just running around them. That's it looked like a bad game of tag. I mean it was terrible. That's a good way to describe it. There there is one Monday night football game this week. It is the Giants at the Steelers. The Steelers are six point favorites. Okay, are you kidding me? I'd rather I'd rather go mow the lawn. Yeah, it's like, I don't think that the the Giants are going to score six points. It'll be That's not yesterday's Washington game with with who they played the Chicago That was a great game, but it was it was a great ending, it was a great nding. But I mean it was it was game. It was horrible. It was horrible. The Yeah, I'll tell you anyway, it was something else. You know. It's like just Sanchez just doesn't look like he's ready. Maybe it's a team that Sanchez. Yeah, whom my thing Williams Chicago Williams, Williams, Mark Mark Sanchez. I'll tell you. I'll tell you he hasn't the butt fumble. Yeah, he hasn't a butt fumble. That's that's true. But I tell you, well, I don't know. Maybe maybe the team will get better and he'll get better. We'll see. Daniels explain that dude, looks like the real deal. Only that's all I got. That's it. What else do we have going on? Anything with you? Of a related noah, okay, no, no, no breaking u of a news No.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 2: We'll see who plays tonight. I'm looking forward to I don't know if I'm looking forward to them an exhibition game. We'll see how many people he weighs and how good they're going to be. Last week, when he talked about the game, the Pointland was is a pretty good, smaller school, pretty good basketball program. So we'll see. You saw yesterday, did you see this but a issue getting crushed by Yeah? Yeah, that's by fifty something. Yeah. And then and then he was very candid. You know, we saw he used a few choice words, and they do. I mean, come on, they had a couple of good recruits coming in too. That's Arizona. Yeah, that's not Yeah, he's got a huge new Yeah, guess what good luck with that? Because you're not gonna be good, let's say about it. I mean it's like going you go after the money, It's like going, hey, listen, I got this great nil deal and I'm gonna go out there and get my butt kicked. Every game. It's like going, h hopefully they paid him in installments because he's my guess, by the end of the middle of the season, he's going to be putting forth about three quarter effort. That's the way they go. Yeah, yeah, we'll see what happened. What do you do? You gotta keep paying him, right, you don't, that's what happened to you. I think I think you brought it up creevous. Will see what if he comes in and maybe plays a few minutes, I don't know. I would assume they're gonna save him, but but we won't know until we're they're right, Yeah, exactly? Uh anything else? Where'd you get your stuff from? Breaking News? Wise? Usual place? ESPN? ESPN? Okay, well this is not good sounding radio. Well, I know the Jets. He didn't bring in the Jets, right, I didn't talk about Karon Rodgers. Knock me over with a feather that I'm surprised that the Jets suck and and and and Rogers is behind it. Yeah, well it's you know, it's really surprising and that you know, they brought in Farvara and that didn't work out. Work well, So it's like going, okay, is there another old quarterback that we can bring in that's supposedly going to save us. The rest of our team is terrible. It's like going, yeah, let's then he's blaming the rest of the team. I mean, come on, coming, that's what he does. I mean, I would I hate playing with players like that. Surround surround me with all good players, and I look really good. Right, I'm not gonna say that he's not a good quarterback. I mean, certainly, he is a Hall of Fame quarterback who's done some great things. But it's like still, it's like, come on, don't be blaming everybody else, right, I tell you, Salah's going to go out and he's going to take another job. Oh he's our head coaching Yeah no, well he's head but he's going to get a head coaching job again, and he's going to turn into great like Belichick. Belichick left the Jets and he turned into a great.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Hey, we got to call who's this on the air, I says Jeff. I don't, Hey, Jeff, thanks for listening.
Speaker 7: Hey, I went at the game started with my grandson, and I went into the game with hope and every you gotta go in with hope and the players, I mean everybody. You start a game, you got to go in there and have hope. Right, one thing I was hoping for that didn't start the game is on side kicks, So I.
Speaker 8: Hope came true.
Speaker 7: I was hoping to see some competitiveness, and by in the fourth quarter, I gave us something to hope for. You know, it's showed that we were well, you were there fighting.
Speaker 2: And coming back you say you was going to say you were the one. I was the one. Yeah. There you go a couple of points.
Speaker 8: If people try to say, well we have injuries.
Speaker 7: That everybody has injuries. Football coaches know you're going to get injuries. That's why you have backups. And you have to haven't coached up ready to come in. And that's the coach the job. And you know, I lose them to you know under pe b y U and the Roads one thing, but listen to Home to Texas Tech into West Virginia.
Speaker 2: That's uh.
Speaker 7: Now, part of me feels like, you know, we're the point now where maybe we're better off lose them out and then they have to fire Brennan and move on to something else. Now, some people might say you're.
Speaker 2: Gonna fire Brennan after one year. Well, if you.
Speaker 7: Lose it out, maybe, I mean, you can just hope for that. There's some hope. But a lot of you.
Speaker 2: Have that you hate.
Speaker 8: You know, this is Tucson.
Speaker 7: You gotta be content with a second tier coach.
Speaker 8: You got to content with six and six.
Speaker 7: But isn't that a negative attitude, you know, to say, hey, it's two soon. You got to be you know, this is just us.
Speaker 2: Well that's kind of yeah, that's self defeating. Have you been have you been a fan for a long time? Are you a local guy?
Speaker 7: Have a four year I've been here for thirty years and four years since you take a holder?
Speaker 2: Okay, and you you why did you get them in the first place?
Speaker 8: And just a question, well just for for.
Speaker 7: For I unders see competitive football just entertainment. And I'm not alumni, so you know, I'm not dedicated that way. I just wanted to see. Yeah, you know, I'll go up to the front of it season football.
Speaker 2: Well, let me sit there, go there with your grandson. You're the same things. So I went with a friend, a friend of mine, and he has nice tickets sitting on the north side, and he says, you know, what. I just wish this team would show up and play a good game, you know, just like you said, Jeff, be competitive. My money's worth it. I'll see if they play well, maybe hang in there, maybe do well. And you know, you know the stuff that the mics or the microphones aren't any good, the speakers aren't any good, the entertainment's not very good. He say, All I want is to watch a good game, and then you don't even get that.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, well, and I've said this before, if you have said it, you can I can just you can see how players play. I mean you can you can see when it you know, in any competitive sports, who's got a little bit of extra edge is given one hundred percent. And just sometimes you don't see the lot of the guys and that comes down to coaches, you know, getting them ready, even against any of you, and any of you came out, would you see you can see you saw a game hitting the field ready to play, you know, and I haven't you know, we'll seen a whole lot of the wildcats. And that's I mean, you can't blame you know, twenty one twenty year old kids.
Speaker 2: You gotta blame, you.
Speaker 7: Know, the adults that are coaching those kids.
Speaker 2: Yeah, are you going to continue to hold on to those tickets?
Speaker 7: I you know, I'm I don't know, well I'm right now of course, you know, you get frustrated and you say no, but you know, if they can there's four games left, so Jeff, if they can get six and maybe you know, have another season, see what chance?
Speaker 2: I guess what does your grandson call you? You have a nickname. He calls your grandpa grandpa. But I love going to the game's grandpa. Yeah, it's like, you get my grandson's here? How old your grandson? He's he's gonna want you to take him again next year? I take him again next year. It's like, yeah, you know, it's tough to do. So so when you when you left, you showed up at the game with Hope. Do you think this is a did you leave with this season? Did you leave with the Hope? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Did you did?
Speaker 2: I mean what so this season? You know next year? Next year's you know, hope Hope Springs are new okay, because it would be it'll be a very different team.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you know, I guess every every Saturday you got you know, your new Hope. You have to have hope, you know, and every I guess every season you got to have hope. But I just don't want. I don't like to hear people say, hey, this is Tucston. You gotta you know, be grateful what you got.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't think that's a good attitude. Are you are you? You are you from here? You're from here thirty years years okay? Yeah, yeah, Mike's from here, but not from here. He's been. But you know, if you've been listening to the show yeh with with Jay and I, and Jay's a long time guy, and you know he's depressed because he's seen it all and he's you know, there's always something that's gonna be loosey and you know she gonna pull the ball away from you. Something happens, and here you are. I mean that's I think that's what you're hearing because it happens all the time.
Speaker 7: Well I don't. I mean, like I said, I don't. You know, if you lose then overtime or something, or you're competing, you can you know, it still gives you so gives you hope. You know, Hey, we've be competed, you know, but when you're uh, it's just what you want to just see some better competition.
Speaker 2: Yeah no, and you're and you're paying good money for those seats.
Speaker 7: I mean yeah, for for a guy like me, it's a lot of money. And I say, a thousand dollars a year, you know, and another five pound dollars a year and abilliately buy. I mean, you have Arizona stuff all over our house, all over our cars. I got twenty shirts, you know.
Speaker 2: I mean, Jeff, he's one of they gotta they gotta give you a good product, Okay, I mean, there's there's no doubt about it. Sure the know. It's like I do have hope that we are going to be uh that next year is going to be a different year. I always due second year of a of a new coach as opposed to first year. Yeah, you kind of you hope, but you have expect you know. It's like going, Okay, it's not going to be you know, it may not be great, maybe a lot time, but you know, I'm I am looking forward to next year already what to do? Well, of course, I'm looking forward to next year already. I'm almost looking for next year.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I guess you gotta give him another year. And you gotta, you know, see what.
Speaker 5: You can do.
Speaker 7: But I think, jem it's a different situation with jet Fish. Now we were totally paid with jet Fish. I had no problem with what he went through because he started from zero.
Speaker 2: Right, Wait, that's right. You know there's there's a lot to be said. Yeah, this guy, this guy started on second base and he got went back to first base. Yeah, exactly, that's kind of the way it feels. Yeah, Okay, thanks Jeff, We got to take off. Thanks for the call, though, appreciate it. Thank you. Yeah, good call, good call. You guys have a lot of hope. Yeah, and I have a lot of commercials to get to. So we're going there.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 1: Are your chance to win one thousand dollars Just enter this nationwide keyword on our website. Money, that's money. Enter it right now Walksports fourteen fifty dot com.
Speaker 9: Are you ready ready to discover your soul, your wild side, your passion, your joy and excitement. From the latest slots and table games, to award winning dining, to world class entertainment to a luxurious resort.
Speaker 2: Discover all this and more.
Speaker 9: Discover with Soul Casino del Soul, the Soul of Tucson Are you ready enterprise so fasco YUCKI try.
Speaker 10: The Window Depot has everything you need to create the kitchen or bathroom of your dreams. Browseyisles of instack cabinets available in a variety of sizes and configurations and instantly elevate your space.
Speaker 2: Today.
Speaker 10: Visit a showroom and let our experts guide you. Whether you're choosing for money to go designs or creating a custom masterpiece.
Speaker 5: We can help you select the perfect.
Speaker 10: Wood, type, color and style and top it off with unique hardware to complete your luck. Find a location near you at the window deepot dot com. The Window Depot more than a windows store.
Speaker 2: Steve Rivera here to talk about Doratle Rock and Materials. I needed a lot of gravel for my driveway, so I called Eric at Dorato Rock. He found out the amount and color I needed and boom, it was taken care of and at a great price. How do I know radio commercials work? I heard one of his on the radio. Dorato Rock and Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials, including decorative rock, boulders, gravel, soil, and sand for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years. Kip, We'll call at five two zero four zero zero four two three three. Where do you buy exercise equipment?
Speaker 6: Arizona Health Arizona Health Arizona Health.
Speaker 11: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals. Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve. Arizona Hound, the lead manage and exercise equipment On twenty second, just west of Wilmot.
Speaker 12: School and the fall sports season are in full stride. Time to give that special student athlete a creative award for his or her efforts they are deserving. It's also time to rejuvenate your fall apparel with a Chris looking embroidered school corporate logo on caps, shorts or long sleeve follos. And why not get some fresh looking promotional products representing your school or corporation or just giveaways for the upcoming twenty twenty five season. For over one thousand fun items of choose shroom, come visit Creative Awards at Creative awardsaz dot com or see our Idea Center at two twenty eight Westtrackman Street.
Speaker 13: At Nova home Loans, we believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership. Paul Volpi is ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs. Whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer or want to get cash out with the refinance. Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation. Visit voltpeteam dot com, that's volpe team dot com or called five to two oh six eight five six two six Today in MLS three oh eight seven Arizona b K nine two nine to four two Equal Housing Opportunity, got to commitment to Lyndrix, syn credit rates and available loan programs suffic to change the don't notice?
Speaker 2: Did you know?
Speaker 12: Collecting sports cards is one of the fastest growing hobbies around. Whether you're looking at start or expand your collection, Showtime Cards is your ultimate destination. As one of the leading card shops in the country, we've.
Speaker 2: Been serving our community for over.
Speaker 12: Twenty five years with the best in sports cards and trading card games from rare fines to the latest releases.
Speaker 2: Showtime Cards has it all.
Speaker 12: Check them out at Showtimecards dot Com or visit them on EA Speedway and discover why collectors everywhere trust Showtime Cards for their passion.
Speaker 14: On a road trip or just around town, driving a car you can afford is more important than ever. At Pyramid Federal Credit Union, our one rate auto loan is for everyone. One rate offers a single competitive rate no matter your credit score.
Speaker 5: You can borrow better with hearing it.
Speaker 14: For details or to apply online, visit Pyramid FCU dot com slash one rate. Pramid Federal Credit Union is an equal opportunity lender federally insured by NCUA.
Speaker 4: Got bugs, termites, bees, or rodents, Arizona Pest Control will hunt them down. Arizona Pest Control is your complete desert pest management specialist that's can't run or high from Arizona Pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available, which minimizes the effects on the environment. Let Arizona Pest Control get rid of your bad bugs, termitespees, or rodents. Serving Tucson and Southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azpest dot com to schedule your free evaluation today.
Speaker 2: Want to build your business better, There's no better place than the Arizona Business Networking Conference December tenth through the twelfth at Casino del Sol. Meet thirty five premier speakers including UA All American Ricky Huntley, Hall of Fame coach, Mike Hendrea, CEOs and more. Expand your professional network, explore new opportunities and learn from industry leaders. Get your tickets at Tucson Business Networking dot Com Slash Conference. Once again, that's a Tucson Business Networking dot Com Slash conference.
Speaker 1: Breaking down all the ups?
Speaker 7: Is it?
Speaker 2: Ohs?
Speaker 1: This is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to One on the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera, He's Mike Quinn Henry with us. Now on the phone, we have Barrett Baker, former U of A football player for Football Captain ninety eight. Barrett, how are you?
Speaker 8: Steve? Always good to talk to you, appreciate the time.
Speaker 2: Thanks good on this end.
Speaker 8: Besides, just got to get a few more ws to make everybody happy and we'll definitely be in a better mood then.
Speaker 2: Yes. Just in fact, I was texting Calvin today to get him on as well, So save them for another day. You guys were co captains, right, I.
Speaker 8: Think that's yeah, just one of the best leader I think that I've ever been around. I think that you'd have one hundred and five guys that would unanimously say that really the magic behind the scenes when it came to chemistry and keeping everybody buddy doing exactly what we were supposed to be doing through twelve games.
Speaker 7: So he's an awesome individual.
Speaker 2: So that's where I wanted to kind of go with it. So you had him, he had you and maybe another captain too, totally totally different than you. Right, You're kind of like the diplomatic dude guy, and he's the force. He's the hammer I would have. I would venture to guess that Arizona would need two of you guys. Now, well, I can't.
Speaker 8: Say that about myself. Kelvin was a special person, a special leader for sure, and he was our offensive captain. Chris McAllister was our defensive captain. And you know, when you play at the level that Chris played at and you are the best that there is a type of leadership that is involved with that. Right. He sets the standard so high. He played right one hundred percent of the time. He was just that good and and he was a great teammate. And in regards to that, there was no arrogance there. He didn't act like he was better than anybody else. I would say the component that I could bring to it is you're going to get one hundred percent one hundred percent of the time, and we're going to do things right one hundred percent of the time. And you know that. So again, there's just three different leadership styles. When you bring it all together, then there's accountability for all different aspects of what it takes when you're either winning or losing. When you're winning, it's easy, and when you're losing, you know it's tough. And so that's really when your leadership is tested. In that particular year, obviously we didn't lose very much, but again we kept the line at a very very high level and make sure that there was accountability, starting with each of us individually and then making sure we were getting that from our teammates.
Speaker 2: Barrett Hey, you mentioned two words that I think are critical and I want you to train and get an assessment on this team. You mentioned leadership in chemistry. What do you are you sensing either one of those from this team or lack of it? Or where do we go from here on that?
Speaker 8: Yeah, I don't and I would say this, I can only say what we hear from the players, and I can only say that what we hear from the coaches. And I mean, we all know individual people, so I can talk to this person and they can confirm or this other person might disagree with that, but they've said that they're staying together. And you know, we don't see sideline fights, we don't see finger pointing in the interviews afterwards, and the chemistry portion of it, I guess I would just say to this, it's very difficult in the world that we live in today with the name, image, likeness, with the transfer portal and all of those things that quite frankly, they pull apart chemistry because when you have players on the team that in the days of old would have been there for five years, and now how many guys do we have that are new to the team, that you have to learn how to be a teammate. You have to learn what the level of expectation is. And then you know again, you know, Price ac leaves, Jonah Coleman leaves, some of those those guys that you were counting on to be leaders in that locker room after being here for three, four or five years, they're elsewhere. So it's a lot harder for I think programs to really button down how do you get that leadership? Now when you look at Jacob Manu and Trading and Gunner and Noah and that core group of leadership, that core group of guys, they're not splintering, and so I think that part of it still there is a belief that the team is together. And I'll tell you you take a guy like Josh Baker, He's been part of my language at the bottom of the barrel right when we were at the tail end of someone. Then you go to Mount Everest and you go to the top. Last year and obviously this year it hasn't lived up to what as a fan base, as a program, all those things what we wanted. But he's still out there busting is but every single play given his best as a team leader, as a captain, and that's what it takes to get out of a hole like this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no quote, now that is that how you feel or what you know?
Speaker 8: I mean in talking to players, Yeah, I will tell you there again, there's not splintering now. I would say this is the same from the best team that we ever had in nineteen ninety eight, And I'm sure if I talk to the guys from nineteen ninety three that they would say the same thing. There's one hundred guys on that team, and how many do you think are truly happy twenty two? Because those are the starters, right, and when you're that backup, right, you always think that there's more that you always think you should be getting more of a shot. There's always you know, more and more and more. So that's the challenge and then you throw in, you know, kind of a sidebar here in all honesty, have you guys ever seen the amount of injuries that we've had on one side of the ball in one season and on the defensive side of the ball, Yeah.
Speaker 2: And critical ones. You really could tell me because West Virginia was was dominating over the middle. I mean, they were just making things happen over the mids, like yeah.
Speaker 7: And they're banged up.
Speaker 8: So you have people and they say, well, that's an excuse. Well, there's I would say this, there's reasons and there's excuses. But how many people in our fan base, and I'm a hardcore fan, how many people knew who Jack Latrell was before two games ago? How many people could tell you that he was a four star recruit and ended up going to Tennessee and then transferring here because of coach Akina had recruited him in high school. And so for the first five games of the season, we don't even know what number he wears. And I don't mean that as a shot against him, but he wasn't ready and so now he's thrust into playing a primetime role the last two weeks and obviously, moving forward, we have ten other examples of guys like that on this team that two years from now that's going to be a huge benefit to them. But right now, it is hurtful, it's painful. It causes the fan base to obviously call for the firing of ahead coach. I mean, it almost makes us insane with you know, anger and disappointment and all those things that you feel as a fan. But when you really break it down, it's just tough. Right now, there's so many guys that aren't ready to be playing and because of a myriad of reasons. Those are the eleven that we have.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, you're you're You're a guy I know who's always positive, always looking for the silver lining. I know a lot of people who aren't you and don't feel the same way, and I don't. I don't need you to go there, because you are who you are and that's great, and because you know, hell, I wish I were like you. Yeah, well, I'll say this.
Speaker 8: You know coach Brennan, I he has a positive demeanor to him, all right, and he gets hit for that oftentimes because people want to be more fire. I promise you that there is more fire. I've been to practices. I know that there's fire. He has already made the changes that you can make during the season. Correct, He is already made a change in the play caller after three or four games. Does that show that he's stagnant and that he's accepting the results? I would say no. Now we say, well, what else can we do? So when you see the motions and you see all of the various things that they are now trying to do to get the ball to tamac and some of those superstars. They're not sitting idly by. The challenge right now is the fact that between Riley and Jones and Burnett, you know, and some of those young guns that we were hoping were ready to take the next step, they had twelve catches between them last year, twelve And they're trying to replace Tanner McLachlin, who has more catches than any other tight end in Jule history, and Jay Cowing who's a fourth round draft pick, and unfortunately it just hasn't quite lived up to what we needed. And could you blame coach Brennan and the offensive staff. Absolutely, it's a combination of all of those things. But it's not just the fact that it's the head coach that somehow doesn't know how to coach. It's the fact that the players that were left here, all of those it all boils down together, and then you get into this death spiral where the offense is struggling and now you've got the defense that isn't what it was at the beginning of the season, and they're going to be giving up more points, and you know, how do you get out of it? I'll tell you how I get out of it. I go there, I make peace with it. I support the players, I support the coaches, and I hope that it works because at the end of the day, that's all you can do as a fan, you know, either support them or you don't. And my job, because they took care of me, is to support them through the good times and the bad times.
Speaker 2: So Bert, you got to I mean, I'm hearing you got a lot of hope going forward for these guys being able to put it together before we go there. Then so were we and everybody else unrealistic on the expectations coming in.
Speaker 8: Yes, but what we wouldn't have known that at the time. So it's not something that we can be blamed for. Right It's easy to see in hindsight that it's some of the those skill positions, some of those key positions. The productivity isn't there. Why is Jed Fish the offense of guru that was here and had us clicking on all cylinders four and four at Washington in his first season there he's got Does that make sense? In other words, we know that guy can coach offense, We know he has a superstar quarterback that was at the transferred into help him. He has Joanah Coleman, who's the top three rusher in the country. Why are they four and four Because there is a transition between staffs. There is a learning curve with chemistry and all those things, and we're suffering through that a little bit right now. But just this is what happens. And I'm sorry because I'm not trying to be negative. I've heard it a thousand times and I've seen online. Well, he inherited a Lamborghini and he turned it into blank. The Lamborghini was last year, correct, I mean truly, the Lamborghini was last year. This year was. It is not a Lamborghini. It is the Lamborghini's frame. It has different engine, it has different tires, and the engine and the tires from a productivity standpoint, they're not as good. Now. We didn't know that in game one because we still say, well, we have Keymac, you have Jonah, you have Wendell, you have Josh. But the left tackle is a red shirt freshman that no one knew his name until a week before the season. The right guard didn't start until the fourth game of the season. The offensive line didn't start the same combination of five players until the fourth game of the season. These things matter, and again, are those reasons, are the excuses they all have, they're all tied in together. And so when it kind of snowballs and we you know Texas Tech was the first time for me that was a big loss. That's you got to win that game. And when we were you know, really had the red zone inefficiency there, that not getting the fourth down, all of those things, and you lose the game you're supposed to win. It just started that terrible spiral. And then you go against BYU they're eight, and oh they're at eight, and oh, it's not like we lost to a bad team there, but you know, now we're getting banged up, and now you start pressing harder and harder. And so that's how those losing streaks kind of come to fruition. And now one game at a time, that's literally all you can do as a player and a coach and try to get that win. I mean, that's that's all you can do. And so I think that's where they're at right now.
Speaker 2: That's a great assessment there, Barrett. I'm going to go back to my question if if Steve allows me to I don't know where he calls me a co host. Well, he doesn't call it, call me a host very often. But let me let me try and squeeze this in. Do you you have hope going forward? I mean going forward like I'm talking about next season and beyond. You you think that they can put it together based on your discussion?
Speaker 8: Correct, Well, again, I will be guilty of it, and I think Steve referred to it. You have to be optimistic to be in a sport. If you have a loser's mentality and you're always doing in boom, you will never succeed. So our recruiting class as it stands right now is about fortieth in the country. Do you know that that's better than jet Fish's second and third recruiting classes that he finished up with. So does that give me hope? Yes?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 8: Do I know? When I watch practices and I see the competitiveness there, does that give me hope? Yes? Now is it going to be immediate? My hope for this year truly is to somehow come up with a win against UCF. I truly think that we can beat Houston. TCU is going to be tough, but TCU does obviously they don't look like they're world beaters this year and then asu I hate them. I hope the team hates them, and they always want to win and when you look at who they've beat on their schedule, there's no reason to think that we can't compete against them. Now, that is an optimistic and it's a miracle, but can it happen one game at a time. That's all you can do with that, and then moving forward. Yes, Coach Brannan is fully aware that there are issues on the offensive side of the ball, one hundred and five hundred thousand percent aware of that. You either think that he's going to do nothing or do you think that he's going to fix it. It's his name on it. He knows that it needs to be fixed and he'll fix it. And you either believe that or you don't. I always, you know, again a history of his coaching. He's going to fix it. And that's where I land on that one.
Speaker 2: All I know is when I passed, I want Barrett to write my obituary. It's gonna self what a great guy Steve wasn't.
Speaker 8: Yeah, never interrupted.
Speaker 2: Doing this exactly. Thank you, Brett. It's always appreciate you.
Speaker 8: Thanks a lot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's great, great that was realistic too. I mean realistic. A lot of things have to tip that way favorably because he's thinking optimistic. Never see, well, I don't so I don't think that you know, you mentioned silver lining. It's like going, I don't think that he's pyeing the sky on this stuff. I mean one, I think he knows what it's like to play in a team. I think he knows what it's like to look at a team and going, Okay, I see I see where these holes are. I see what's happening here. So do I think that this season right now, do we have an optimistic shot? If you will, Uh, it's gonna be tough. We've got Lee's hey, we've got we've got key injuries. It's like going, Okay, I got it. It's like everybody's got injuries. We've got some key injuries. We're playing some young people. Jed when when when he took over his first year, he's playing all these freshmen and sophomores. It's the same thing. I do think that we're moving forward. I'm optimistic. I love the way Barrett talked about I feel heck, I feel better about my you know myself, and you know the world outside after talking to Barrett. Okay, I must drink your whatever you've got. You're drinking a double. Yeah, double. Keep Garrett's Barrett's the phone number because if I do pass. Yeah, he's writing, he's doing it. Yeah, yeah, Okay, He's take a break and come back for the final segments on a Man's Basketball Fan. You know it's been successful for nearly forty years. Now take a look back at the Ludelsen era in my new book, Lessons from Loot. It was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches and friends to give insight to the coach and the man who led them, competed against them, and inspired them. Twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's beloved coach. Lessons from lut is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. What one email me at Steve dot RIVERA ninety five at gmail dot com.
Speaker 15: Hi, this is formal. While get Leman Hindally with Arizona Health, Imagine how home GM can change your health, your comfort, and your Attali. Arizona Health is everything you need to transform your personal space.
Speaker 2: In your life.
Speaker 15: We off a complete line of cardio machines, multi gms and freewight equipment. I'll certify fitness experts and technicians. Was set you out with the right equipment and training to get you started to keep you going. Visit our share room today at twenty second in Wilmot, Arizona.
Speaker 2: Health the lead to age and exercise equipment.
Speaker 16: What's your goal a new career or career advancement? How about transferring to a four year college. PEMA Community College can help you make Someday today and reach your goals affordably on your schedule. With over one hundred programs to choose from and financial daid available, It's time to earn the degreer certificate you need to prepare for the career you want. PEMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you.
Speaker 2: Learn how at PMA dot edu. Slash Someday, Hey Tucson, Steve rivera heir, and I've got a tip for you. Want to be in good hands while cruising the desert or kicking back at home, then you need to call my friends at the Edmond Marcus All State Agency. These guys are the MVPs of home and auto coverage. Whether it's a fender bender or a leaky roofed, They've got you covered. Don't fumble your chance to say call them today and score big on your insurance with the Edmund Marcus All State Agency. You're always in good hands at twenty seven to nineteen Lord Campbell or call him at five two zero three two three nine three three three. Selling your home want to get more money for it? Well, Danny Roth can help you. He told me about his you Flip the Home You Own program. The program allows for a homeowner to fix up their home to sell without using any of their own money. They will be able to sell the home for a much higher price. Danny Roth with Omni Holmes International is the real estate consultant in Tucson that offers this program. He has consistently been the top agent in Tucson for the last thirty years and has sold over ten thousand, five hundred homes. For more information on this program or just buying our selling a home of Danny Roth at five two zero four nine zero four thousand.
Speaker 17: Tuson listen up el Tourtay two Son is rolling in on November twenty third, and you won't want to miss it. Dnahair Conditioning is proud to be a sponsor of this fantastic event, supporting our cyclists and celebrating the vibrant spirit of our community. Huge thanks to our title sponsor Banner University Medicine, and are presenting sponsors Rio Nuevo and TMC Health for making this possible.
Speaker 2: So are you ready to ride?
Speaker 17: Grab your bikes and your buddies join DNHAC for an unforgettable day at the Altourty two. For more info, check out l to our Day two son dot Org.
Speaker 1: Steve Rivera, he's got his eye on the ball on Tucson Sports Station yet Fox Sports fourteen fifth day.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to my I on the ball here a Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera. He's Mike Quinn. You've got Henry taking us in, taking us home, yep, before we go to the basketball game. Yeah, see what happens today. Anybody else want to call in? Please do five two oh four, one, six, seventy four forty be like Jeff. I think that may have been Jeff's first time calling that. That was cool. It was good talking with him. Yeah, Jeff was good taking his grand kid to the games. Yeah, he's not gonna stop. Come on, no memories, take your memories, take you grand kid to the game anytime. So yeah, so we'll hit me with the baseball bat and I take my game. Yes, okay, we'll see what happens later today. See what Tommy Lloyd does here? Poor, that'st be interesting scenes. It's like, are they showing anything at these games? Steve? What do you mean? Well? I mean are they are they playing their players? Are they are they? Are we really getting out there and seeing the team? No? No, no. The first game was just you know, the Eastern New Mexico. You know your part talk come out. Sure, yeah, tonight might be a little bit better. We'll know more tonight. But there was lots to like. Henry looked plaid well. The shooters. They have shooters, the talents and kid played really well hit the shots. Don't expect that all the time, but at least you know you have somebody like that. Uh, you know, Caleb Love wasn't asked to do much, so he didn't. You know. The back court is going to be the start of the show. We'll see you. How's our front court? Yeah, we won't know until Crevius comes back. So there's that. But they're gonna be okay. I mean, I can't remember the last time I said Arizona's gonna suck. Yeah, you know what, I've never said it. Yeah, I never said it. I may have some skepticism when Sean was in the final years because they were they were. They were tough. I mean they were. It was tough to watch the coach they were. It was tough. It was just tough. Hey, we got a call here on on the ball. You're on the air, Nico. What's up?
Speaker 18: Hey, man, I didn't see you at the game, Steve. I don't know if he actually went with I did go.
Speaker 2: I did. I was in the north end. I don't know where exactly. Uh. I was on the north right side, so northwest side of it. One of my buddies who listens to the show is See invited me, so I said, okay, got there early, kind of just it was hot. Man.
Speaker 18: I think you're on the opposite end because I'm by the Zona Zoo on the north side.
Speaker 2: Zona Zoo on the north side. Oh you're oh yeah, okay, yeah, no, I won the north side north of them. I want on your Sands Club, but just below the Sands Club.
Speaker 18: Yeah, it was in underneath it too, but I was like more towards.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, no, I was there. I was. I guess he since where the families of the of the players is at and I didn't want anybody, so I just kind of watch a game.
Speaker 18: Hey man, there wasn't much to watch.
Speaker 2: No are you you know you you go to the games with your pops and all that stuff. Where are you one optimism?
Speaker 18: Man? I was going in in a good mood because it's my dad's birthday, believe it or not. And I was like, hey, they might get a win for you dad.
Speaker 2: You know what did that dash? When did that hope dash?
Speaker 18: Like the middle of the third quarter?
Speaker 2: We left? Yeah, I left right after you. Then. You know, it was just especially when it's hot and you're well, it was nice. The weather was nice. Once that sun went down over the stadium.
Speaker 18: Man, once the sun went down, it was It wasn't bad, man, it was just right.
Speaker 2: So let me ask you real quick, because you go to the games, are you disappointed in what you see with the sound system or what you're hear with the sound system and just some of the the fun if you want to call it fun.
Speaker 18: Man, I'm more disappointed in the food. I'm gonna be honest with you, man.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Interesting, And they changed that too, they said for the better.
Speaker 18: Man, I paid fifteen backs for the fancy nachos and they were terrible.
Speaker 9: Man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well did you do you do those services afety send out? I guess they do his love surveys. Yeah, that's for surveys for pretty much. You fill them out and Nico, I know it's a test.
Speaker 18: I delete those, man, I ain't got time for that.
Speaker 2: Come on, man, you're not gonna make any changes if you don't, if you don't input, come on, have you listening to show before Nico? Nico ain't taking any tests exactly.
Speaker 18: Hey, man, See the guy that you go to the game is right, man, Yeah, everything else could be crappy as long as the team.
Speaker 2: Is decent, right right, And you're not even getting that now.
Speaker 18: Hey, but I do have hope that last guess you had?
Speaker 2: Yeah right, yeah, well yeah, I'll tell you what that can gives you hoping anything? Okay is growing up. He's not being such an We got another call. Yeah, you're on the air line on the wall. Who's this? Hey, what Vic, what's up? You were there?
Speaker 19: Now? I stayed home watched a Dodger game. Remember I told you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you you were Who was your first text to meet? Its embarrassing exactly.
Speaker 19: You know what's more embarrassing. I had some guys in from LA and I think I talked to you guys a little bit about this a couple of weeks ago about the marketing. And we went to this little note hole in the wall bar and and uh, They're like, well, everybody in here as an Arizona hat, but you don't see nothing else outside of it. And Steve, you, I mean, we should be having Noah on your show and talking about it his dad and dad. People don't know. I mean, I know because I'm from California, but that you know that least runs the Orange County buck Eyes. And then we've been recruiting Jed started recruiting from there. And why aren't we having Noah and Tea Mac on your show? And and even Desiree whatever, there's no billboards with Noah and t Mac up there, and Jacob, there's nothing around town. I know why people don't go to the games, because if you don't really follow it, you're a casual guy you don't even know the damn team plays.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you can't. You can't use those guys out there on the on the billboards anymore because you gotta you gotta pay him.
Speaker 8: Oh I guess man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's that same image and likeness. That's the whole idea. You can't. You can't put out somebody's likeness there to advertise your program unless you're paying them.
Speaker 19: So well, uh, my last singer is real quick. See I go play for this cat Barrett. But then I turn on the.
Speaker 2: What do you call the the.
Speaker 19: Interview with Brennan, and oh my god, I want to jump through the phone and just stock him. He has the personality with Porcupine. It's like, dude, I don't get it. He's not in the in out in the.
Speaker 8: City.
Speaker 19: He's not I mean. And like I told you, Steve Jed would send those little stupid dancing tomorrows when he signed somebody, and you kind of get a little excited.
Speaker 2: About it, like, oh, who is this?
Speaker 7: Who we got?
Speaker 8: Nothing comes from this dude?
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I'll tell you what.
Speaker 19: I'll go play for Barrett, but I I on send my kid to go play for for Bread.
Speaker 2: And you don't know this until you know this, right, you know, you and I, You and I text back and forth and do our little analogies and blah blah blah, and you don't know you know you like we, I think you made this rem public, just like you buying a beer for the for the lady at the bar and she leaves with somebody else. You don't know she's gonna leave with anybody else until you know that you did it happen.
Speaker 19: Yeah, I mean, I don't know. Like I said, just listen at press conference today and drinking the water in between every I'm like, bro, stop.
Speaker 2: Well you've been You've been married, I've been married and everything. Why are you breathing? You know? You start thinking to you you nit pick for because you stopped that breathing? Please, why do you choose so loud? You just find ways about that? Now? Well, welcome to Mary in the marriage. Thanks Vic.
Speaker 8: All right, guys, take care, We'll.
Speaker 2: See you later. Buddy. Call great. Hey you're on the air and I on the ball. Who is this?
Speaker 8: Hi?
Speaker 5: This is Kathy?
Speaker 2: Yes, Kathy? How are you?
Speaker 5: I'm fine? Are you guys? You went to the game?
Speaker 2: See yes, thank you?
Speaker 5: Let me ask you, Steve a question, Yes, did.
Speaker 6: You feel like there was any energy in the stands after that time?
Speaker 2: No? No, let me it says my second time to go as a fan with the with the guy. I appreciate that. It's section thirty two. By the way, Nico, he texted me, so, no, I mean everything that I hear, because I usually in the press box and you hear everything nice and clear. And then what they what they say is you don't hear anything from the speakers, and they're right, Uh, it's not very Uh maybe they should go see other schools how they do it, because it's very blah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, exactly. One of the best times I ever had.
Speaker 6: I went to a Las Vegas I guess they're the Las Vegas as baseball game in the summer, hot as hell. Yeah, in Las Vegas outside facing west, no east, so it's cool. But still every time there was a break in the action between innings, there was something on the field.
Speaker 5: They were giving away this. They were doing the.
Speaker 6: Bat around, you know where you circle your head around the bat and then go run.
Speaker 5: For you know, a race.
Speaker 6: Kids were doing popping on stuff, and they were giving away prizes, right, and there was always something in the middle of the field and there was nothing. And it's like, guys, you're losing your fan base because there's no excitement for it. I know we were stuckling, but there is no excitement.
Speaker 2: No, did you do you go?
Speaker 6: Typically I'm a season pick at Homer for oh god fifteen?
Speaker 2: So sorry, So keathy? You should?
Speaker 8: You should?
Speaker 2: You already know this is status quo.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but it's not getting any better.
Speaker 2: No. No, that's the whole thing. It's like, why you see it? We all see it. Why don't they see it?
Speaker 5: And we're in a different conference. Now, this is big time conference.
Speaker 6: This isn't PAC twelve, although I love PAC twelve, but.
Speaker 5: This is not Pac twelve.
Speaker 6: This is big time football, right, And to get that fan base, you've got to play big time football and entice those fans.
Speaker 5: To get the butts in the seat.
Speaker 6: To me, ask you, because without the butts in the seat, you're not getting anybody, no question.
Speaker 2: So you've you've had those six for fifteen years. At any point in the last fifteen and you've had a wild ride with a few halfways. Have you ever thought of saying, hell, I don't need these tickets anymore?
Speaker 5: No, because I go for the band. I'm so weird. I go for the Pride of Arizona. That's why I go. I watch the halftime. If it's a crappy game, I leave after halftime.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well join the rest of it.
Speaker 6: And it was hot and we're down there three or four hours before kickoff. Yeah, right, practice with alumni band and stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, more power to you. More power to you, because it's in any easy especially you want to be entertained on the field, off the field alls.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and the food.
Speaker 6: The guy before me, he's right, it's not exciting, it's not interesting.
Speaker 5: It's you know, white claw and a bunch of not shows. Really. Well, God, I can get that at a bar for a lot cheaper. Well, and it's cool in there.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Oh then they'll see you at the bar. Okay, So what so what about the eight pm games? Whether like the Houston game starts at eight fifteen kickoff?
Speaker 5: Isn't that sucky?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it'd be cooler. You can you can't, it'll be cooler.
Speaker 5: Night. What do you think people are doing on Friday night?
Speaker 2: Not drinky white cloud? White cloud? Yeah, it's like, hey, thanks for the call, we got to go problem. Thank you. Yeah, that was good. We've got to go already, preysue right, yep, we've done. Okay, thanks Mike for coming in Monday, your Day, Monday Mondays, what's happening tomorrow at least now? Yeah. Thanks to Carl Watson and to be Baker mister inspiration. Yeah, I mean, thank you, great great guest today. Yeah, okay, thanks