Speaker 1: O Kelly.
Speaker 2: Okay if I am six forty yes later with mo Kelly. We're live on YouTube, Instagram, and the iHeartRadio app. It's now time for tech Thursday with Marsha Collier who joins us in studio.
Speaker 1: Marsha is always great to see you. How are you this evening?
Speaker 3: Oh great? You were talking water yes, room temperature.
Speaker 1: Yes, thank you, thank you very much.
Speaker 3: That's it.
Speaker 2: You need to school these young ones out there. It stole the virtues of water.
Speaker 4: No, really, water is great, you know, it's even greater. What's that a vinyl album?
Speaker 1: I can't disagree with that. Go ahead with that?
Speaker 4: Well, what was interesting? Vinyl sales are trending up. In twenty twenty three, four point three million records were sold in the US versus thirty seven million CDs.
Speaker 2: I wonder, though, what place CDs have in today's society. In other words, I understand why people want vinyl.
Speaker 1: They still have utility.
Speaker 2: DJs will still use them, collectors will still buy them. I don't know where CDs fall into this category of why people would buy them.
Speaker 3: They're slipping between the seats right now. They really are people who are paying for downloads.
Speaker 4: They only accounted for four hundred and thirty four million, which is less than a third of the sales of Vinyl records.
Speaker 1: I get it, it makes sense.
Speaker 2: I mean, why am I going to pay for a download when I can listen to it on Spotify, I can find it on YouTube. For someone who's under the age of thirty, they don't know Marcia the importance for us and liner notes or you know who played the instrument on this song or who wrote the track, all that other information that we would find on liner notes.
Speaker 1: I don't think young people care about that.
Speaker 3: Well, let's break this down people.
Speaker 4: First of all, we can always argue sound because sound on a CD is encoded digitally and compressed rest and it's.
Speaker 3: Not what you play one Vinyl next to a CD.
Speaker 2: For those who don't know, if you have the opportunity to listen to a Vinyl album single in headphones, you get to hear this dynamic range. The highs are high, the lows or lows. There is a mid range. You get to hear the fullness of the sound and the recording. Whereas on an MP three or a wave file is compressed and it's all pushed together.
Speaker 1: In headphones you can really hear the difference.
Speaker 4: In a John Williams movie theme, it will sound totally different because great music needs vinyl. But then again, Moe kind of mentioned about liner notes and you may not know what liner notes are. So when we get albums and they still do this today, if you are a person who gets a vinyl album, on the other side.
Speaker 3: You have a beautiful piece of artwork.
Speaker 4: Normally, I have a wall at my house where I have a genis job when I have the first Beatles album of like eight albums Jimmy Hendrix, and they're all.
Speaker 1: Just showing off.
Speaker 3: Now I'll send you the picture.
Speaker 4: And I love them, but the records are in there so I can't play them. But at least they're not warping. But the thing is on the other side, when you're sitting there with friends and you say I want to hear some Jimmy Hendrix, you pull it out and then you find look, my third cousin was playing trumpet on that tune. Because everybody was credited, you learned about all the people.
Speaker 2: But then again, I know the response is, well, I have Wikipedia. I can just type in who is the songwriter, who is the guitarist.
Speaker 1: I'm quite sure that would be the response to it.
Speaker 2: But there is something to be said for the tactile availability of a physical liner note to as you're listening to something, to read about it and also learn something about it beyond what is google a bowl on the internet. I appreciate that, but there's also something else. For as much as we may say that vinyl is eclipsing CDs as far as sales, I understand why people would still prefer the MP three or the Spotify or YouTube because that audio, even though compressed, doesn't degrade.
Speaker 3: But sometimes people want to support the artists.
Speaker 1: Well, Spotify is not supporting the artists. What was it?
Speaker 3: Weird?
Speaker 4: Al once said that eighty million streams could earn him twelve dollars.
Speaker 1: No exaggeration, no exaggeration.
Speaker 3: And that's ridiculous. So I mean you support an artist.
Speaker 4: Taylor Swift made seven up to seven percent of all vinyl albums in twenty three, so think of that.
Speaker 3: Swifties want to support her. She isn't making it on the downloads.
Speaker 1: Where do you.
Speaker 2: Think, from your knowledge of tech, where might this go? Is this a fad? Is this a trend? Or is this portending that vinyl is going to be coming back in a big way for a considerably longer period of time.
Speaker 4: I think, like fine Swiss watches, I think it will become an art form even more so. I mean like Taylor Swift, think about it, She'll release the same album in different colors and sell them to the same people.
Speaker 2: You made a great analogy there, and I don't want you to skip by that. You think of a fine Swiss watch, it's analogue. It's not digital. It's usually made of more valuable materials. It's not plastic, it's not a luminum as much more staying power is going to be around physically longer than the watches that most people wear today.
Speaker 4: Exactly, and the watches pateec Philipe. I mean you think of Rolex, you think of brands like that. They're not going away. They thought they would. Oh the Apple Watch came out and everybody's going to happen Tag Hoyer, Yeah exactly, and people never gave them up this citizen.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Remember some great watches, weren't they m hm.
Speaker 4: And they're worth a lot of money today if you come across them at garage sales. Movado, Oh I got so angry at Movado. I had my Mavada was my first fancied watch. Bro mine too, and I that same one with the circle.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the circle top, basic black face yeah.
Speaker 4: And it broke and I called them, oh, we're not making that watch anymore.
Speaker 3: We don't have parts for it. I said, how dare you? That was my first big investment in to watch.
Speaker 2: They were not cheap that much, I do know, and it was a status symbol. But everyone would recognize the Movado when you saw Movado looked. When we come back, let's talk about American Airlines. They've announced this touchless ID program and I'm thinking, why would I want a touchless ID if I have a real ID? Is it gonna work in concert with that or is it something else. I'm quite sure Marshall Carier will be able to separate it and explain it to us. On the other side, it's Later with Mo Kelly I six forty. We're live on YouTube. You can see us right now. We're live on Instagram. You can see us there and you can hear us as we're live everywhere in the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 5: You're listening to Later with Mo Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: KFI is a leader with mo Kelly and Marshall Caller. We're live on YouTube, Instagram and the iHeartRadio app. Marshall, let's get right back into it. American Airlines has announced this touchless ID program. What is it, how does it work and what does it mean against the backdrop of real ID.
Speaker 4: Well, first of all, it won't be just American Airlines. It's anyone who has tsa pre check can benefit by this. That's me and American Airlines is the first to put it in action at limited airports right now they have it.
Speaker 3: Let me see it.
Speaker 4: Dulles A Ronald Reagan excuse me, LaGuardia, Hartsfield, Atlanta and Salt Lake City.
Speaker 2: It's interesting, you say, Ronald Reagan National, which is in the heart of Washington, DC. It's it's a very difficult airport to get a flight into. That matters because most of the time when I go to DC, I fly in the Dallas because that's about the only time I can get flights into DC that are reasonable.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, I love this will be great. So let me explain to everybody. I'm sure everybody's heard of Clear yep, okay. Clear is something you pay for and they verify your ID before you get on the plane, and they walk you over to TSA pre check so that you can get ahead of the line. What is TSA pre check. You apply for TSA pre check online. It's like a six page application, yes it is. Then you get called and it asks everything everything you don't want people to know. And then you're called in for an interview.
Speaker 3: Yes, they do in person, in person with the security person.
Speaker 4: And I had forgotten that I had been to Canada because to me, Canada is the US.
Speaker 2: And because they ask all about your travel, if you left the country, where you've been, how long and so forth, because.
Speaker 4: I travel extensively, And yeah, I've got an extra long interview. But anyway, what TSA PreCheck allows you to do is if when you're going on a plane, you'll see that line says TSA PreCheck all your ID.
Speaker 3: Because you've gone through.
Speaker 4: This, you get to go in, you get to get on the plane, you don't have to take off your shoes, you generally don't have to take your laptop out. Now the icing on the cake. TSA PreCheck costs seventy eight dollars for five years. Then you get the golden The golden pass to me, which is Global Entry. Global entry works. If you've ever gone out of this country, yep. When you get into the US, there are these lines. It looks like Ellis Island on a bad day, if you've ever seen the old videos.
Speaker 3: If you have Global Entry.
Speaker 1: You bypass it.
Speaker 2: I could be very arrogant when I have my Global Entry I kind of like to just wave at the peons. It's like, I'm not going to wait in the line. You can bypass that. And getting through customs it is wonderful.
Speaker 4: You just walk, just walk right behind the crew. Yes, usually and you just ay and the nice man says you got anything to declare? Nope, I usually seem a de clare.
Speaker 2: No, I have nothing, I bought nothing, I'm doing nothing wrong and I'm not on the run.
Speaker 4: And it gets me through always always, and they take your picture as you go through because there's a little machine you put your passport on, Bingo, it's done. It is faster than mobile entry with your passport. If you use that app to get into the United States, that is very valuable and doesn't cost a penny. So that's a TSA app that you can get for no money at all. But Global Entry is gold because it helps you even when you arrive in another country. So what touchless ID is going to do is when you first use a touches ID, you get your photo taken as you get to the TSA agent because you already have TSA pre check, right, so you don't have to put out driver's license, passport, that little card with the star, none of that nonsense. The system will then compare your picture that they just took to the hundreds of thousands of pictures they already have of you, and don't kid yourself if they have.
Speaker 3: I don't want the government town my pig. I felt that way.
Speaker 4: And then one day I'm standing in London and I'm looking at the buildings and the cameras are friggin everywhere.
Speaker 3: Yes, and I went to New York.
Speaker 4: Cameras everywhere. How do you think they catch criminals these days?
Speaker 2: Don't go to South Korea. They have more cameras than that. They're everywhere.
Speaker 3: When you check.
Speaker 4: When I checked in Shanghai, don't they take all the pictures in the retinal skins?
Speaker 1: Yes, Oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: I think it's maybe indicative of Asia. It is a camera society everywhere.
Speaker 3: They kind of make the best.
Speaker 2: Well, but I'm just saying, but being in the country, citizens are basically conditioned and understand and accept that wherever you go there's some level of surveillance.
Speaker 4: And you have given your fingerprints before. They don't change as you get older, so they have your fingerprints. They have pictures of you in stages of development from when you were getting braces, so they can identify you really easy with today's technology. And all you do is now you just walk right in. They just take your picture and you walk right in. Now, if you would like to avail yourself of this, and you are on American Airlines and you have TSA pre check, go to the American Airlines site on a computer mobile device.
Speaker 3: They'll take you a second.
Speaker 4: You log in and go to the information and password section.
Speaker 3: Of your profile. It's easy to find.
Speaker 4: Then click the but next to opt in to TSA touchless ID Nick Bingo. You're in and you'll have to renew every year. And I'm telling you a lot of credit cards do pay the fees for TSA PreCheck and for global entry. If this is something you can get if you're planning a trip, no matter what global entry, like I said, is that's platinum and TSA PreCheck is gold. It makes your airport experience a thousand times.
Speaker 1: I co sign.
Speaker 2: I have both, and I would recommend them to anyone and everyone.
Speaker 4: And by the way, they do give you a little global entry card which you don't need a real ID when you have that, and it doesn't have your home address on it. Think about that, when you have a real ID, you're showing.
Speaker 3: Your address to whoever.
Speaker 4: You're showing your card to real federal government IDs where they've checked you out, do not put your home address on it.
Speaker 3: So thes say pre check.
Speaker 4: The mobile passport card, which is also good for ID, does not have your home address on it.
Speaker 1: Think about Marsha Cary.
Speaker 2: You always give us great advice, usable advice, very quickly. How can people find you to follow up if they want more advice?
Speaker 4: I'm on Twitter, my website is Marsha Collier dot com and usually once a week somebody tech emails me with a tech problem and I help them work through it. So I love the emails and I'll find the answers.
Speaker 1: I like it.
Speaker 2: How you're available, you're accessible, your information is relatable, digestible, all those things, and why we enjoy having you here every single week.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Moe.
Speaker 4: And Android Smartphones for Seniors for Dummies is on sale and.
Speaker 3: It's really a good book.
Speaker 1: See you next week.
Speaker 5: You bet you're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty