Speaker 1: It's Night Side with Dan Ray. I'm WBS Costin's video.
Speaker 2: All right, welcome back everybody, our number two. Thanks to all my guests during the last hour. They were all very interesting on different subjects. So I hope you enjoyed the hour as much as I did. I learned a lot last last hour. I tend to learn a lot in the eight o'clock hours. I learned a lot in all the hours. We are about to talk about Brockton. Brockton is the seventh largest city in Massachusetts, has over one hundred thousand people, and they have a problem with homeless encampments. And there's a story both in the Globe and the Herald today that the Boston that the Brockton City Council has voted to ban homeless encampments. We are delighted to be joined tonight by a member of the Brockton City Council. Council is Shirley Asak, Council Asak. Welcome to Nightside. Thanks for joining us tonight. How are you.
Speaker 3: I'm good. Thank you for having me on, Dan, I really appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Well, thanks for coming on now. I know that this is not a fun story for anyone, and I know, having spoken with you earlier tonight briefly that that you're a very sympathetic person. But there's a problem in your city right now. Uh, and it's got to the point where the city council has decided they needed to do something. Let's first of all, explain the problem to me. I mean Brockden like any older New England city, like New Bedford, like Fall River, Lawrence, New you know, Roll, Worcester, Springfield. You know, they're a magnet. They attract a lot of people and they support a lot of people. But there's homelessness in most cities in Massachusetts and it got has got to a point in Brocklyn, brock in Brocken where the problem is a sufficient dimension that I guess you folks on the count also felt something had to be done. Tell us why, and tell us what you've decided to do.
Speaker 3: Sure, so, as you stated, it's become a huge problem. This is it's nothing new. It's been going on for a number of years. I'm going into my twelve year on the council and we've been trying to work with something to get find.
Speaker 4: A solution for many years.
Speaker 3: So this isn't something new. It's nothing that's popped up overnight. So this ordinance was proposed because it's it's gotten a bit out of hand. This is beyond just an unhoused population issue. It's become a public safety matter and a lot of these encampments, which there was. This ordinance had two parts. The first part was the encampment that we're trying to address. And we have encampments that are just popping up everywhere on public you know, public uh areas, and our police have been enforcing this all along. They you know, our police are Parks Department dp W. They will go in, we'll ask you know, they'll they'll move the people who have been camped. They'll tell them, you know, to to leave the area. But it just seems to go from one place to the next. So what we needed to do is really strengthen our ordnance and you know, give it a little more teeth. And that's when this was proposed, with this ordnance, uh you know, to band encampments in the city. So, yes, it is controversial. It's a very uh difficult situation to be in because you know, we're all homemost This is a is a very serious matter. It could be any one of us at any point. It involves a lot of different you know, whether it's mental health, both the drug alcohol abuse, or it could be loss of a job, family. It's really it's a very touch you know.
Speaker 2: So let me let me ask you this. How large a homeless population are you dealing with? I mean, obviously it's tough to quantify, but how many people on a regular basis are living outdoors in whatever form of fashion in Brockden? What are we talking about? One hundred people to what's the number?
Speaker 3: So there's as far as house population that are using our services, using you know, the shelter, the agencies, the Broughton serve hundreds of homeless individuals. But the individuals that are not going to using these resources, that choose to you know, build these encampments. We're talking about fifty to sixty people. That's what that number came from our how the Human Service.
Speaker 2: Okay, so there are places in Brockton for these folks to to go into. You have homeless shelters, correct.
Speaker 4: Yes, we do.
Speaker 3: We have a homeless shelter that's been a place for many years, Father Bills. We also have you know, different agencies that help. We also have our Human our director of Human Services who's out in the streets getting you know, talking to people and trying to help them find find resources that will help get them off the streets. So the problem.
Speaker 2: Is the problem, it seems to me, is you have a relatively small group. Are these folks who just don't want to spend time inside a shelter at night? Are they prepared to stay out even in the when winter finally arrives, and it will finally arrive, I mean, are you in effect you're trying to help these people, is what you're trying to do to keep them out of the cold. Why do they not want to go into shelters? Is there a commonality here? Why they would? If I was homeless and there was a shelter, I would go to the shelter. I would think most people would.
Speaker 3: Correct and I would be in this you know, I would do the same, go into a shelter, take you know, whatever help I could get to. But the people that are choosing not to go to the shelter, the shelter has rules that they need to follow otherwise they cannot stay in the shelter rules. Is time you know that you can access go into the shelter, you need to go in early. I don't know the exact time that you need to get into the shelter. You also cannot do a drugs, alcohol, or any kind of lude behavior otherwise you will be asked to leave. So a lot of times from my understanding and hearing from people in our community that deal directly with people who have been in these encampments, is that they don't want to They don't want going to the shelter for those reasons.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, they they want to live a life of absolute independence. And again, clearly there are you know, there are issues, substance abuse issues that are involved here. And I know that there have been some some incidents of you know, people they need to relieve themselves if they're not indoors, and they relieve themselves where they find it to be convenient. And obviously the character of the city has it been it's been a big problem I assume for for you downtown area is this where most of the folks have gathered in the downtown.
Speaker 3: It has it's become a huge problem for downtown. But it's last night. At last night's meeting, it was really focused towards downtown. But it's happening and all over the city. I represent the area that's towards Westgate Mall DW Fields Park and I've been dealing with it for years now with ampments in d W Fields Park where you know, kids and families can't don't feel safe to go walking riding their bike, you know, because there's these encampments and we don't know what he's doing.
Speaker 2: Right, it's a huge quality of life issue. It's a quality of life issue. And is there have you folks found evidence of uh intravenous drug use meaning needles and parks and things like that, which is not uncommon.
Speaker 3: So we have, you know, we have, we have. This city is amazing. Broxton is an amazing city with a huge heart and the residents. We have residents that volunteer their time to clean up our streets, our parks, you know, volunteer to whether pack or deliver food to different shelters. So they volunteer and they we have a clean up day every year keep brox And beautiful. And the biggest part of what's being picked up is our needles and obviously all kinds of things that you don't want your kids picking up. So we do have a program that you know, the what the ambulanced company can we'll go and or even I there's boxes where they can deposit these needles, but we don't want people picking up needles. But our GPW does our police fire, they go out, you know, when something happens to somebody that's I'm housed, our resources, you know, they call O. The police goes out, fire go out, and it's it's draining, it's draining our resources. So but yes, as far as drug paraphernalia, human waste, I mean in front of our churches. My church is on downtown North Main Street. We have a new priest. I mean he he wasn't used to it and he was appalled these I mean they're spending a huge amount of money to fencing the entrance because they're cleaning up human waste, vomit, you know, drug paraphernalia, things that I just don't want to repeat.
Speaker 2: But well, you look, the council had to draw a line. My understanding is now up to the mayor to sign this ordinance. He has up until ten days and he doesn't sign it, it goes into law. I think you told me earlier that if he chooses to veto it, there'll be an effort to override the veto. I think you're doing the right thing, Counselor, and I'm going to thank you for the time tonight, and I'm going to ask people to join us, join me and talk about what you're doing here. I think it has to be done. I think we have long passed the time of focusing more on our compassion for these folks who have somehow lost their way. We have to help them, but they have to be willing to accept some help, and they can't do what they've been doing in Brockton and in other cities. And I think that as a result of that Supreme Court decision of earlier this summer, so called Grant's Past decision, you now have the right to do what you've done legally, and I hope that your lawyers will support you if there's any sort of a challenge to it. But thank you for doing this, and thanks for taking the time tonight and keep us posted here. I'd love to know exactly how this works out. I hope the mayor signs it or it allows to become law without his signature, and I hope that for everyone's sake, kids, community members and the homeless, that this improves the situation in Brockton going forward.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much, definitely, thank you, no, thank you. I couldn't have said it better exactly, and that I hope, I hope it goes. You know that there isn't any kind of further opposition with us.
Speaker 2: So well, well we're going to talk about it. We'll see what people have to say. Doctor Rother, doc doctor almost promoted you city councilor, Shirley Asak, thank you so much for your time tonight. I appreciate it.
Speaker 5: Thank you, You're welcome.
Speaker 2: Okay, we get back. I want to hear from you if you live in Brockton, love to hear what you think about this. I think it's long overdue. We've heard stories about Look, any major city, it's just not Brockton, it's any major city becomes a magnet for people who are adrift. However you want to go on, whether it's a drift because of alcohol, whether it's because of drugs, whether it's because of you know, circumstances over which they had no control, mental illness, et cetera. Everyone is sympathetic. Everyone is sympathetic, but we cannot allow people to destroy communities. We cannot allow them to engage and behavior the same sort of behavior that animals in the woods would engage in. The animals in the woods at least are not shooting drugs six one, seven, two, five, four, ten thirty six one seven, nine three one ten thirty. The US Supreme Court last session, it was late last June, they issued a decision was called City of Grant's pass Oregone versus Johnson, and it basically said that penalizing people for this sort of behavior is not a cruel unusual punishment. This Court decision allowed cities and communities to nationwide to find, ticket or arrest people living unsheltered even when there is no adequate shelter. Now there is adequate shelter. Ironically, in Brockton, there was a prior decision that had come down I believe it was from the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals that found that this was cruel and unusual punishment, and the Supreme Court had to overrule the Ninth Circuit and basically said that it is not cruel and unusual punishment under the Eighth Amendment when a city enforces criminal punishments against people who are homeless for camping outside in the city. So that's the issue. It was an Oregon case which allows Brockton to go ahead and do this. It should be done in more cities. Again, our compassion reaches a point, and my point has been reached a long time ago. I'd love to know if your point is reached. If you disagree with this, and you think that people, human beings should be allowed to live outdoors here in all year round, uh and do what human beings sometimes have to do in the privacy of their own home now in or shoot drugs and leave needles kicking around. If that's the sort of city you want to live in, Well, Massachusetts is in bigger trouble than even I think it's in six seven, five, four ten thirty one line open at six one seven nine three one ten thirty. Let's talk about it right after this break on Nightside.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan ray Line from the Window World night Side Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: Kay, want to see what people have to say about this. It'll be interesting. Again, this isn't just a Brockton problem. It's a problem of most American cities, and frankly it has to be addressed. It is I think it is cruel and unusual to leave these individuals, to leave these people to fend for themselves, some of whom are addicted to alcoholic drugs, some of whom have serious mental incapacities. I think we have an obligation to take care of them and not to just turn a blind out, blind eye and allow them to live in a set of circumstances which will ultimately end in an untimely death. Maureene is in Brockton. Maureene, I would love to know what you happen to think of this situation in your hometown of Brockton, Massachusetts. And Rob, why don't you bring Marene up for me? There we go, Hey, Maureene, welcome, how are you?
Speaker 4: Hi?
Speaker 6: Great?
Speaker 4: Thank you, and I hope you are well too. I really appreciate I really appreciate you and the counsel of being able to take some time and actually, you know a little bit of a spotlight when I was on hold the last well not the last time I spoke with you, but there was an incident about a year or so ago, and it were regarding a Broughton teacher who was doing his own thing and got attacked. And you hear Brockton is this and that it just it was nice to hear the counselor, and I feel the same way about being proud to live here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a beautiful city. It's conveniently located. I mean, you're on Route twenty four, Route twenty seven, all of that. But again, if the leaders of the city don't step up and say, look, this cannot it's just going to expand it's not going to get better on its own. Something has to be done. That's that's I think where I'm coming from. And I command a counselor and the other the other six members who passed this ordinance. I hope the mayor does the right thing and sign it. We tried to get Mayor Robert Sullivan to come on the program, but I think he told my producer Marita that he hasn't decided what he wants to do yet and he decides. I hope he'll come on and tell us what his decision is.
Speaker 4: I hope so, because I mean, you said, and I mentioned this to Marita this afternoon. He told me many times that elections have consequences, and I never got an answer back when I reached out to the mayor, and I'd be very disappointed, but again, I will make sure that he or his office will know that I'm not a happy resident of Broughton, but I'm so glad that this is being brought to light. And you're right, I mean, it's you know, it's going to happen. It's not. It's under one hundred people, you know approximately. But again, I mean that can spread like wildfire, you know, as.
Speaker 2: We say so it can spread. It It also can be revolving cast of characters. And I got to tell you, when the word spreads within the homeless or the addicted, or the community that is impacted here, others will others will join them. I mean they will go to the place where they are most welcomed. And in this situation, sadly ignoring the problem, they interpret it as being welcomed. And it's it's just when the problem is ignored. Thank goodness, there's a counselor's like counsel Asak who have the courage to stand up. And now with the US Supreme Court as a as a guideline, this is very legal what they have done. And these folks now would face a fine, they'd be summoned in the court and if they don't pay the fine, they may have to spend some time in a jail cell. It's it's not treating them badly, but we all have to live here. What have you seen, Maureen in your travels in Brockden? How evident is this problem or is it in the just in the shadows?
Speaker 4: Well, I think where I live compared to where the counselor is, I'm probably about five miles approximately away from the from the mall, et cetera. I don't really generally see it in my immediate neighborhood. But but it's not that. I mean, you know, if I see somebody, I'm not gonna I'm gonna I'm going to give you a few dollars because i'd rather you take the money, you know, get yourself some food and just I'm not going to judge you here on here's five dollars. I know you're going to spend it, but you know, but again, but yeah, I grew up in Brighton, so same thing. You know, I saw that in Brighton. You know, so it's I guess it's not just but I appreciate you spotlighting this. I appreciate the counsel's time. I'm going to let you go because I know you've got other folks, But thank you so much for taking Mikeroll.
Speaker 2: I appreciate talking with Thanks Mareen, thanks for calling in. Let's keep it going here. Thanks Mary, appreciate it. Let me drop Maureen. Fine, and we're going to take a quick break. We are now passed the nine thirty newsbreak, so we'll take the news break. I got Dan checking in, Mike and Michelle. I got two lines open, one at six one seven two five four ten thirty and one at six one seven ninety and just filled six one seven two five four ten thirty. Again, it's not just a Brockton problem, folks. It's got to be dealt with. And I suspect that the change of administrations in Washington that might embolden some of our cities and towns to look at this as a problem and treat it as a problem that needs to be addressed. Back on Nightside after this.
Speaker 1: You're on night Side with Dan Ray on WBZ, Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: Back to the phone, let's go to Michelle, also checking in tonight from Brockton. Michelle, you were next on Nightside, going.
Speaker 7: Ahead, Hey, how are you? I just want to say I listen to your show all the time, and I love it.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you. I love the fact that you love it. And I'm so glad that you've called in. And I'm so glad you were listening when we talked tonight with the city council as Shirley Asak, what's your thoughts? Are you happy with what the city council is trying to do?
Speaker 7: I'm fifty fifty on it because I think they should have more resources. So the whole homeless people, a lot of them have mental health problems. In the shelter in Brockton's all they turn people away. It's all the migrants and there's not even no help. They need to get more help from mental health and drug addiction in Brockton, and I think that will clear up the homelessness problem. Giving them fines and putting them in jail isn't gonna help.
Speaker 2: So let me ask you. So you're saying that the homeless shelters right now are accommodating migrants, and.
Speaker 7: The homeless shelters, yep, it's all migrants. You can see.
Speaker 2: To be a favorite, Michelle, you're doing a great job. Who's ever coaching in the background is only confusing you and me? So why don't you tell the person in the background to walk in the other room. Okay, you have my permission. Yeah, you said it better than I did, so, so it is. It's a it's a migrant problem, which now is compounding the amount of resources that can be available to the homeless. That's interesting.
Speaker 7: Yes, that's that's the biggest problem right now in Broxton.
Speaker 4: There's no room.
Speaker 7: For Broxton residents in the shelter because it's full of migrants, solid Haitian migrants, and there's no mental health, there's no drug addiction programs in Broxton. They need to put more resources and not throw people in jail because jail isn't going to help them. They need they need like medical help.
Speaker 2: Well they do. And of course that now on Brockton now is becoming a magnet because once people realize that there's a homeless quote unquote community, then other people in other you know, surrounding towns are going to be drawn to that community because everybody feels that in strength, there's some in unity, there's some strength, I should say, and that they're with people if they do have a drug problem, they're dealing with other people have drug problem. It compounds the problem yell. I appreciate your calling. Thanks for having the coverage to call and tell your friend there that if he wants to call the program some night six one, seven thirty and he.
Speaker 7: Can talk to me night.
Speaker 2: All right, Thanks Michelle, we'll talk so all right, all right, thank you very much, both of you. Okay, we are going to continue here after Michelle, and we're gonna go a little further away from Brockton, but we're going to talk with Dan in Tampa, Florida. Dan, we have talked to you many times. Dan is a former police officer in Tampa, Florida whose beat was to help homeless people. How much of a problem is it still in Tampa, Dan, And hasn't gotten any better there? You guys have the added, I think problem that your weather down there, except during hurricane season, is a lot better up than it is up here. What's the situation with homeless down in your community here?
Speaker 1: Dan?
Speaker 5: Is this is the same here as it in many communities. Particularly Michelle, who's the prior caller, just highlighted some of the same problems that we deal with here and we do it everywhere. Is that there's lack of resources. I had a whole list of people that wanted help. People who were living in the woods, are on the streets, they wanted help, but there was nowhere to send them. So I can see Broxton's point. And the Supreme Court they were backed into a corner. The Supreme Court with the Krantz Pass decision. He mentioned they had amchi breeze from the California Association Chiefs Police and the California Serious Association and they said that, you know, the people, we need to be able to provide safe communities to people, and we need to be able to protect everyone almost or otherwise. And I can see the point. So the problem here in Tamba same as in Brockton and everywhere, and it's just not resources to go around. No one ever won an election and trying to come up with more housing and resources. So the police are holding the bag now to to enforce the issue. So you know, the police are doing the best they can. And that's kind of my view.
Speaker 6: Dan.
Speaker 2: By the way, for those of you who do not know Dan, Dan's a friend of mine in Tampa. He's a friend through this program. Uh And Dan actually his beat, his job in Tampa, Florida as a police officer was to try to keep the homeless out of trouble. And Dan told me one sorry that he actually helped arrange for a wedding between a couple of homeless people. You went far above and beyond the regular duties of a police officer, Dan, and if I'm not mistaken, you were able to get them a reception haul and it really showed what a great human being you are. And a lot of people are critical of police, but you have have dedicated much of your career to help this population. You're still a police officer, but but you were there to try to help people, and I'm sure that was a pretty satisfying way to work with that population, where you were where you were appreciated and not considered like an enemy when you would go into an area where people were holed up. Has the homeless population down there increased, decreased, or just stayed the same.
Speaker 5: It's increasing here, it's increasing, but it's the population of homelessness is I guess the subpopulation is increasing. We have a lot more of the kind of the working poor, the one or in middle class who have been priced out of housing, and so we're seeing a lot more people who who are facing economic issues. They just can't afford the rent of the mortgage, and that is probably the fastest growing segment of homelessness. And that's the same everywhere. You know, I've yet to run into any community that has a surplus of affordable housing. It's short everywhere, and rents and real estate prices are very high. So yeah, it's increasing here. Last year, nationwide homeless has increased five about twelve percent. So it's the same problem everywhere.
Speaker 2: There's no resources, and that probably hasn't been diminished by the influx of people coming across the border who themselves have to find a place to live once they're here, and if they're living in whether it's rental housing or shelter housing, it's impacting. It's not impacting the wealthy people living in the suburbs. It's impacting people who are living in poorer communities and people who maybe need to really upon a bed in a shelter. But if the shelter is full, as Michelle from Brockton indicated, that compounds the situation. Dan is always great to hear your voice. Thanks again for your experience. I want you to know that I was in touch with that kitten many years ago, that we were able to find an adoptive home for and I'm told that the kitten is doing very well. It's it's a very healthy cat. I was texting with the kitten's owner. Those who are longtime listeners at Nightside, remember we had a cat adoption or a kitten adoption in studio as a result of a kitten that the d N brought up from a from a shelter, a beautiful kitten. So thanks Dan as you've been a great friend for many years. Thank you my friend.
Speaker 5: Great segment.
Speaker 2: I talk to you absolutely. We'll take a quick break here on Nightside. My name is Dan Ray, and we are talking about Brockton, Massachusetts, but we could be talking about any major city in America. So wherever you are, you want to chime in. Brockton pretty much now has said, okay, we have to draw a line, and we cannot allow homeless people to camp out on public property. We cannot allow homeless people to continue those who do use drugs use drugs and leave needles and playgrounds in parks. And we cannot allow homeless people to use city streets as public bathrooms. This is it's just not Brockton. But Brockton has stepped up. This city council passed an ordinance love to know what you think and if you live in a city of any size, those problem exists where you are as well. Two lines one at six one seven two four ten thirty and one at six one seven nine three one ten thirty. I am more than happy to talk about this into the next hour. If the interest in my audience persists in this topic, what can we do? Coming back on night Side.
Speaker 1: Now, back to Dan Ray Live from the Window World, WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: Back to the calls we go. We're going to go next. Let me go to Mike and Chelsea. Mic next nights, i'd welcome Mike, welcome you. Next one nights, I go right in.
Speaker 8: So I was all lost to how exactly your guest speaker, how exactly are they planning on engaging this this this problem. I missed that you really make that clans to me.
Speaker 2: Police are going to inform people that they cannot pitch tense, They cannot they cannot sleep in public areas. They need to get into a shelter. Uh and if they will try to help them get into shelters. Uh And if for some reason people do not want to comply with that. Under the recent US Supreme Court decision, they can be cited, summoned into court and find up with the two hundred dollars and if they can't pay that fine, then they'll they'll spend some time in a in a in an another type of shelter, shelter that has has jail bars on it.
Speaker 6: Okay.
Speaker 8: So I was holmeless about ten years ago, Okay, because there's something stupid that I did. Nothing, very dumb. Uh, flying with the scene.
Speaker 2: My friend, I've done stupid things too, So joined the club. But you know, how'd you work your way out of it?
Speaker 8: Mike got a job and I didn't. I mean, I was fine where I was as far as the facility, but I was like, no, I want to earn money. I wanted my own place at some point. Yeah, long story short. As far as homeless, you have some people the exception of the substance abuse, the booze, the drugs, the mental issues. Okay, there's some people that just don't want to adhere to us a structured life.
Speaker 2: Understand. I understand that. Ye I do understand that the problem is if that unstructured life involves, you know, sleeping out on the streets at night in the middle of winter, and then getting up in the morning and doing what most people do in the morning when you get up, as opposed to doing it in the privacy of their home or their apartment, decide to do it in the middle of the street or on someone's front porch. That can't be tolerated.
Speaker 8: No, of course, no, definitely. I wish your luck with whatever whoever she was.
Speaker 2: I wish your luck with a city councilor from Broxton. Yeah, they're at least giving it a shot, and you know what it might be. There was a little bit of tough love. It's you know, we've been very permissive for years in this society, basically let people try to do what they want to do. And at some point I think that some they gotta have a wake up call, and maybe this would be the wake up call in Brockton. My congratulations on your success.
Speaker 8: Thank you, Thank you too.
Speaker 2: Thanks, thanks great to have a great night. Okay, let me see where we're gonna move next to christ and East Bridgewater. Chris, you're close to Brockton, You're next on nights. I growing ahead.
Speaker 6: Hey Dan, thanks for taking my call, and yeah, I've been an adopted child of Brockton hilw We say, I spent a lot of time, and I went to the fair every year since I was a kid. Sure, one of my best friends right around the corner from a fair. I don't I don't know who who was it said that maybe roughly one hundred people. I don't know very as much as I used to because my friends have kind of moved on or passed on. But I do agree that the you know, public public interest comes first. But you know, I've had a couple of friends that were homeless, and this is even before a migrant thing really got out of control where you know, between that were in Brockton, Quincy and Boston, and all of them said there were nights they couldn't get into a shelter.
Speaker 8: For the night.
Speaker 6: You know, Like I said, that was before all the additional strains on the resources. So and you know, if someone just doesn't want to, you know, have that structured lifestyle, as you said, that's kind of on them. But I mean one thing I wonder too, is I get that you have to have some kind of a vehicle to address this, but how is the homeless person going to come up with a money to pay a fine. I don't think it's gonna that's probably not gonna happen. You know, one of my friends was almost going.
Speaker 2: To be that's not going to be the first action. The police officers are gonna basically say, give them a little bit of leverage and say. It's one thing to say to hey, you got to move along, move along, and they move along. It's another thing to say, look, not only you've got to move along, but you can't move from here to there, because I'll be down the street in an hour from now, and if you don't move from there, you're going to be sited, You're going to be dragged in the court. Then that that's a little bit of impetus to say to say, Okay, I got to do something here. I mean, look, if most of these people went into the woods at East bring Water, for example, I decided to live as yes hermits in the woods, Uh, no one's gonna bother them doing that. But when they're out in the in the main street of the city, that impacts the quality of life for other people.
Speaker 6: That's the problem. Absolutely, Absolutely. I don't want to be, you know, walking down the street and see someone you know doing their business and the shrubs or whatever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and sometimes by the way, so sometimes it's in the middle of the sidewalk.
Speaker 6: Go ahead, Oh that that's that too, that too. And you know one of my friends that I mentioned it was homeless. You know, about seven years ago I reconnected with him and he'd waited four plus years to get housing. And like he told me that there were twenty of nights he had to sleep on a park bench because there just wasn't a space for him at Pine Street.
Speaker 8: I think he was at Yea.
Speaker 6: And you know, like I said, it's easy to blame the migrants, but that definitely didn't help. And I either in the mall or right near the mall, I forget Westgate. There is a hotel where they have been housing migrants for quite a while. I mean, I'm not a heartless person, but I think if we put these hundred or so people in Brockton that a home, what's in that hotel you instead of them, you'd solve this problem.
Speaker 2: Well, you would, as long as they weren't using it, you know, as a as as a drug center of activity. I mean, you know the big problem is going to be drugs and alcohol, Okay, and if you put people in a hotel and there are allowed to use drugs and alcohol, the hotel's going to be trash. Yeah, I mean, simple.
Speaker 6: As that, totally. And then at that point then you say to them, Okay, this isn't going to be tolerated. Now, you know, maybe we're talking about fines, jail time, et cetera. Because we've done all we can to help you. I mean, there are some people that just don't want to won't take the help. I get that, you know, but you got to see you.
Speaker 2: But I got the ten o'clock news right coming at us right now. So thank you for joining us, Thanks for calling you. Come back very soon, and we will we will deal with the other. Thanks Chris. We will have to Victor, Scott Coptic and Sherry. You stay right there. We're going to carry this into the next hour. Only one line open six point seven, n you can life that one up. We'll have full lines. We get back