Speaker 1: You're listening to episode seventy nine of GameSpot After Dark. This week, Lucy and Tomorris spilled the beans on Mass Effect Legendary Edition. I discover Russ for the first time, and we talk more about the medium. Anyway, here goes Hello and welcome to episode seventy nine of Game Spot After Dark. I'm your host Jake Decker, and joining me this week is Lucy James. Hello, Kelli Plaguey, Hi, it worked that time we heard you, and tomorrow is.
Speaker 2: Saying Hi, technical difficulties fine, how y'all doing good?
Speaker 1: Good?
Speaker 3: I think if you can hear me.
Speaker 1: I can hear you. I heard you move your microphone.
Speaker 3: Too, Sorry, Warren, that's okay fine.
Speaker 2: I can't believe it's Wednesday already, although by the time this goes it will be Friday.
Speaker 4: Sorry, Friday.
Speaker 1: Let's live like today is Friday.
Speaker 2: How I lived my life like every day?
Speaker 1: What a way to live? Except not right now? And we can't go anywhere. Yeah, you know we've been doing this podcast more from home for like stop it for far longer than we ever did in dumb studio. Okay, I'll stop never wait.
Speaker 2: We never got our sponsorship. I'll be a sponsor from four point.
Speaker 1: No, we stopped drinking four point and they're like, well, we're done listening.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm drinking a Miller light right now.
Speaker 1: So yeah, we're not going to get sponsorship from them, too, big.
Speaker 2: Anchor in our fridge. Also, I've got to say I've moved on from white Claw lads.
Speaker 3: Me too. Actually, I'm all about Chin and Tonics these days.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, knew me.
Speaker 3: Whatever, we hang out like we do like girls' nights, and Lucy will be like, I'll be right back.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna get a G and T.
Speaker 3: And I'm like, oh, fancy, because it used to be like I'm going to get a claw. But we've all kind of we've all kind of graduated these like basically just like fancy your MIC's hard lemonades for when I don't feel like drinking beer because it just tastes like juice, which.
Speaker 1: Is never good. But I'm still just drinking whiskey where I met.
Speaker 4: Straight up drinking petrol over here. We done us all like that pure unleted down my throat.
Speaker 1: Just at the gas station. Well, anyway, tomorrow, why don't you start? What have you been playing this week?
Speaker 4: I've been playing a little game called Persona five Royal, a dangling thread which I'm trying to wrap up, and then you know what, I can say, Chido's Palace absolutely sucks, but and I hate it so much. I've been trapped in that palace for so long and it's so annoying to death.
Speaker 1: No Kumera's power.
Speaker 4: I think, I think on this is my third play through, and I think now I've reached the point where Okumra's Palace is not as bad like I think, because Okimura's Palace has a challenged her and there's enough there's enough like variety in what you're seeing and doing that you figure it out and it's more a case of like quickly moving between rooms and that kind of stuff she does. Palace everything looks the same, and it's got that really annoying mouse transformation maze thing and doors are locked. Yeah, and the doors are locked and every room looks exactly the same, and you're just like, I've been playing that. I've been stuck in that palace for maybe a week now. Because I go in there, I'll play for like twenty minutes. I'm just like, I hate this and I'm just turn it off and then have to start again, and each time, like I get more and more frustrated. So I do things like try and run past enemies and it raises the alertness level, and then very quickly you're at one hundred percent and then you're in that place where the battle, like in a battle, the enemies just keep coming and it's just like, oh God, why am I doing this? I'm like very slowly making it through. I hate that the like the kind of like as you approach the line where in Royal you get new content, it becomes more and more annoying and a grind. It's like the place where they put all the new core content is like the worst part of the game back to back. So I know it's going to get better, but it's just the slog there. It's just like, oh god, I wish I could just skip to the I wish it would be like, oh, yeah, did you play the original? Yes, skip this shit and like just level you up ten.
Speaker 1: I feel like Royal Too does such a good job of like of kind of foreshadowing things that are going to happen with characters in that epilogue really early on, so you're like, oh cool, I'm excited to see where these threads go one hundred and twenty hours later.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm like ninety five hours in and I'm just like, just I can't believe I've not seen almost the bulk of the new content and I play for ninety five hours. I'm like, God, they like in the future, they need to figure out a better way of getting the people who've done it before to the new stuff without going through all of it again. Like if this was my second playthrough, I think I'd be a little more lenient, But this is like my third playthrough. Now, I'm like, just just show me how all this matters. Like I've been I've been with the doctor for so long and still none of it, like it has become relevant, like he was cool and all that. But like between that and the new character, it's like, oh God, please take me there. So I'm kind of plugging away at that.
Speaker 3: You're really making me excited for my second play through. I've already planned even though I haven't finished it yet, because I want to play it with the Japanese voice.
Speaker 4: Are you signing? Are you playing the original?
Speaker 3: No Royal?
Speaker 4: You're playing Royal? Right? Yeah, okay, so yeah, the second time through is I mean, like first time through Royal, I bet it's fine. Like the I remember not having any problems with Hudo's Palace first time through, like it was funny and weird and when they there's like quirky bits in it and the characters turns to little mice now and then, and it's funny as hell. The second time through, I'm just like I know where this is going and I just want to be away from it. And it's frustrating figuring out because it's basically a maze, like you're amazing, you're doing amaze, and there's constant like blockades up against you, and it's just not enjoy it. It feels like the second time through or the third time through, it feels like it's not respecting your time. And that's that's true of most of the game, but the rest of the game has such a momentum to it that even like the stuff that you've done before and it's kind of like repetitive, you're just breezing through it. This is the first part where it like locks you in a place and you're like, you won't feel the sense of progression because you're stuck in this maze and everything looks the same, so but I know that once I get beyond this it'll pick back up, So I'm just kind of fighting through.
Speaker 1: I think the lesson here, sailing. I think the lesson here is that in twenty twenty six, when Persona six comes out, only play it once because is the released Persona six Royal Golden gold.
Speaker 4: Ah, Golden Royale.
Speaker 1: Golden Royale, and then that much better.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and then I'm playing Hollow Night bits and pieces of it because I promised Jordan i'd give it a go. I got them, and has it got the compass now it hasn't clicked for me. It is it is good, Like I get it why people like it, but I don't get why people are obsessed with it yet, you know what I mean? Like I respect that people do and I can see what it might be doing, but like right now the world and that I don't find the main character or that interesting. From a design perspective, there's certain characters that this is going to make me sound bad, but certain characters that I just simple design characters that I'm just like, yeah, I don't really get it. It's like this is gonna sound really shitty. But Thomas was alone, for example, Like the reason I didn't play that because it's just a fucking square in it. Like I'm not being mean, but like, it's just a fucking square in it. And I looked at it and I was like, the square has death, but I'm still looking at I'm like, fucking square. And it was a two.
Speaker 1: D game, so it actually didn't have any depth emotion.
Speaker 4: Like I'm playing Or and I'm playing it on the serious X and it looks fantastic, but Or itself as a character is really bright on the screen, so it just looks like a bright ORB running around for a lot of the time. And there's times where I feel myself like detaching from that character and I have to stop and then look at it and I'm like, oh, it's like a cat rabbit. And then I'm like, Okay, it's nice and it looks cool. But like when that game is in motion, it just looks like I'm controlling an ORB. It's like, you know, when you Lucy, you know, when you don't mean any of you know, but Lucy, I'm sure won't get it. Most like when you load into an Overwatch map and none of the characters have loaded in, so they're just like a little orb and you're like, I hate this. Where's my character? It's like that, but like with but like I'm playing Hollow Night and the character I don't I don't know what its name is. Yeah, I know it has a name bug all Night, Hollow. My first name Hollow is second name Night something like that. I know Jordan's probably raging somewhere. Like I look at it and I'm like, I it doesn't hit. It's not working for me, Like it's not it's not doing anything for me. But like the world is fun. They've got a fast travel system where it's just a big confused bug that goes through like tunnels and stuff. And I like to combat quite a bit, and but it's just it's not like it's not really connecting the world. It's not connecting with me yet. But I'm very fairly early and I'm like three or four hours in, and I think the map still is.
Speaker 5: Like awful, really bad, like like all the games have much better maps, And I don't understand why where they haven't kind of like taken that and updated it.
Speaker 4: Why didn't use that? I bet you there is some sort of reasoning, design reasoning. It's not I'm not sure what it is yet.
Speaker 1: Did you get the compass because the compass shows where you are on the map.
Speaker 4: Yeah. But like I'm one of those people who like, I love maps when you can move while in in the map up, okay, and also like and also like I want more clarity in terms of where where I've been and where I haven't been. And I think the way the map works is like it doesn't fill in the map until you've like explored a chunk of an area. If I remember correctly, It's not like a far golf War, where like if you enter a room, it like fills that room on the map. So like I do that thing where I figure out where I need to go and where I want to go next, or if I pick up after a little while by like in Castlevania or like Metroid, you pick it up and you're like, oh, I can clearly see that this part of the map is where I stop going into this room, so I want to go back there and see what's there. It doesn't do that. It just feels that it gives you like a chunk of the map, and then it kind of like colors it in after you've entered a gonna beyond a certain threshold on that on that part of the area, and I'm like, I can't tell if I've been there or if I've not been there, or I've been there and I just haven't been far enough into it so that the map hasn't triggered like filling this in. I think that's how it works. The fact that it is ambiguous how the map works is a problem. Like I shouldn't have to think about whether this map is working or not. It's a map. It should just work. It's like the same thing with Control, where like you open the map and like I'm like, what elevation is this? Where is this? Where am I? Where am I? And then you know, everyone goes you don't and then you reach a point where you don't use the map in that game, and because the world design it's so good, but like that confusing moment where you're in a room in Control and you're like, wait, is the room I need to be on on top of this room below this room. It's just like I don't want to I don't It's twenty twenty one. The world sucks. I don't want to be putting mental energy into like whether I'm on the right place in the map, and a map is working, it should just work.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've I've played a bit of Hollow Night. I've tried it many times, and I think, I'm I feel about the same as you. And then I get why people say it's a good game. I think it's a good game, but it I don't. I haven't hit that point where I've understand why it's like one of the best ever like so many my friends say it's one of the best games ever made, and I play it, and I'm just like, I'd rather just play like Dark Souls or Bloodborne or something that said. One day I'll finish it and maybe I'll have a more authoritative opinion on it. But as of right now, that's that's my take.
Speaker 4: I'm honestly I'm playing it because I want to give it an honest shake because I know people that love it so much, like Jordan loves it to death, and I trust Jordan and I respect his opinion, and I know that he's got good taste. So I want to give it at least like ten to fifteen hours. And it's the kind of game that I know is like in a genre that I love, So I'm gonna try it. I keep going more like hot shite.
Speaker 2: No, I knew that was coming.
Speaker 1: You waited a second too.
Speaker 3: Just see it in nice.
Speaker 1: Kelly, how about you?
Speaker 3: Well, I've mostly played Animal Crossing this week because I'm just kind of building out my island. I'm thinking about making well, I actually made the account already, but I'm thinking about, like actually using a separate Animal Crossing Instagram account to post like progress pictures because I like the community on there, so that's what I'm playing.
Speaker 4: I want to say what the account is called, and does it have a good name.
Speaker 3: It's uh, it's just inky Crossing, like with a period, so inky period crossing because I like the in Yes, I like the inky part of my name. It's the weep shit I put at the end that I would like to change, so uh, I went with that because a lot of people do like the crossing thing. I lurk a lot on the Animal Crossing Instagram. It's like the only thing I opened Instagram for because otherwise Instagram makes me very uncomfortable. Other than that, I saw Doctor Sleep over the weekend And how did you find that? It was just on TV?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 2: No, I meant like, how did you find a movie? Like?
Speaker 4: How did you find it?
Speaker 2: That is sorry to be your process in turning on the television.
Speaker 3: That is a very British turn of phraeze, is it? Yeah?
Speaker 4: It is.
Speaker 1: But I figured Kelly would pick up on it because I picked up on it.
Speaker 3: Well, I just I thought like maybe it was hard, like hard to stream or something, because I don't I don't pay attention to ship.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think it's long ago. There was a King.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Wow, I am so embarrassed that I did not catch that. So but honestly, that was a secret British test and I failed.
Speaker 2: Next time though, you'll pass.
Speaker 3: I will. And I can spot a Yorkshire accent from a mile away, so from a killing meat. So I got it anyway, Like home, my mom and I were just really bored and we put it on. And at first, you know, because I've read Stephen King, have watched a lot of Stephen King adaptations. I like Stephen King a lot. I had my ap English teacher in high school shit on me in front of the entire class for liking Stephen King. And I think about him a lot and how much I hate him. But anyway, the teacher, the teacher, I mean Stephen King. Yes, this is false, that's for sure. So I saw the movie, like my mom and I were just like flipping through channels and I saw it and I was like, oh, that's the follow up to The Shining. My mom hadn't heard of it, and at the beginning of the movie, I was like, you know, it's Stephen King, so like there's gonna be like an orgy or like, you know, something a little bit weird. And there was one scene where my mom straight up was like, you're gonna have to watch this without me.
Speaker 2: I hate this, And we got through it.
Speaker 3: So the beginning of the movie was definitely a little more like what the fuck is going on? And then maybe like an hour in, we were like we had gotten fully infested and we were like, oh, fuck, well's gonna happen. And you know, we've seen the We've seen The Shining, so we were like ready for it, and like at that point, like everything that happened, we were like, oh my god, I.
Speaker 2: Can't believe this is happening.
Speaker 3: And so we got really into it and had a great time and ultimately, uh, both of us really enjoyed it. My dad was like already asleep by the time this was happening, and then he woke up like at the end of the movie and like came out and was like, what are you guys watching? And we're like stop. But yeah, it's a it's interesting because there's like weird almost like TV movie kind of affects sometimes in that movie. And but that's like, to me, that is like so quintessentially Stephen King. That I was just like, I'm here for it, and I don't know, I really liked it. It's one of those things that because I'm not a movie critic, I'm like, I liked it. I had a great time. I don't really want to go any further than this to be fat. I read the book and I did not care for the book.
Speaker 2: The book reads like and I don't mean this to be like an insult, but it does. It just doesn't feel it feels like someone else wrote it kind of feel a bit more like fan fiction of Stephen King. Well yeah, and.
Speaker 3: It's like, I mean energy wrote that book as a fuck you to Stanley Kubrick. So yeah, you know, I can see how it would have that energy.
Speaker 2: And so I really was not that but like jazzed about the fact that they were going to make it into a film. But I really enjoyed what Mike flanagan did. The one thing I'll say is that you and McGregor cannot do an American accent to say his life.
Speaker 3: I didn't mind it.
Speaker 4: All he can in Harlequin's his American accent. I think he's gone America. Yeah, he does, he does, and it's fine. Like I don't remember the night.
Speaker 2: Talked to Sleepy goes off the deep end a little bit, but I.
Speaker 3: Didn't notice that all the rose the hat that character. I could tell that she had that like because she had she slipped like a cant in there instead of a can't. And she's I mean, she lives in the UK, but she's from like Sweden. I think.
Speaker 2: Oh, I didn't know that. I liked it overall because I think as well, because I was just in a very shining place. You know, sometimes you just get urged to go back to the overlook. I really want to rewatch the Shining but again that is not in keeping with twenty twenty one. No rewatch, which is my thing for the year.
Speaker 1: How long do you think that'll last?
Speaker 2: Well, Friend of the show.
Speaker 1: Haven't you already watched rewatch? Lord of the Rings though.
Speaker 2: That didn't count and it was actually technically last year, so its sorry. Friend of the show Andrew Golf keeps texting me about his succession Rewatch, and I'm like, I could fuck with succession again, but no, I'm not not doing it.
Speaker 1: It's the game spot stock prices. You're like, wow, there's some ship going on. Better watch Succession.
Speaker 4: You made the mistakes, stop, You're fired.
Speaker 1: Well, anyway, I liked the Doctor Sleep book. I thought it was I thought it was pretty decent. I definitely agree that it reads like fan fiction and it goes places that I didn't want it to go. But when I finished it, I was like, all right, I mean I enjoyed it. It was easy to read.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's but I think that's one things Stephen King has really good at doing, is like, in the sort of sillier stories that he does, you can tell that he doesn't belate the points as much. It's just it's just a breezy read.
Speaker 1: I haven't read a lot of Stephen King, to be fair, though, that was like, I don't know, I've read like The mist The Shining That at the Stand and on writing. I haven't read. I tried to read it, but it was that's the one with the orgy, and then I heard about and I was like, you know what.
Speaker 3: And Bolice who jack each other off.
Speaker 2: In the woods. I think, yeah, yeah, it happens this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, who's doing a lot of drugs at that time.
Speaker 3: There's a lot going on in it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: The Stand, though, is really good, and Stand is a like a touch point for a lot of more modern science fiction, like Lost is heavily based on the Stand. There's one character in The Stand who basically is like there's one character and the Lost sorry, who was basically a character from The Stand. Charlie from Lost is like the washed up rock star. Is that exact character?
Speaker 3: I would do like a Stand reread like book Club with You because it's I read it in high school really quick, Stevie.
Speaker 1: But after dark book Clubs, let's go start a new channel. Sean Luke.
Speaker 3: I really liked the adaptation of Gerald's Game, which I think is on Netflix.
Speaker 2: Oh I haven't seen that.
Speaker 3: Gerald's Game actually messed me up, like really messed me up, and like the I watched the adaptation and like it's not like I'm like, wow, that movie is so underrated. It was so good. I just like, for some reason, that one really messed me up, so I would recommend it.
Speaker 2: I feel like Stephen King, it's a list.
Speaker 1: Well, before we talk about the medium, I figured I could talk about Rust, because I feel like we're probably going to talk about the medium a little bit more. But I have been playing Rust. It's a game that I bought back in I don't know, twenty twelve, whenever it first went into early access, and didn't play it at all. Actually I think I may have started it up and just got died right away, and I was like, yeah, nope. I went back to it just to see what it was like. And by god, I am so fascinated by this game. I feel like a psychiatrist or a psychologist could do an entire dissertation on this game and how people interact with each other. I don't think the game is fun. I don't even know if it's good, but like it is just so fascinating the way Like I joined a lobby and immediately someone came up to me. He saw that I was like trying to get wood from a tree, and he's like, hey, I can give you some wood, and we like became friends and helped each other out for a little bit. Alternatively, like cut to like a couple hours later, I was trapped on a rock being attacked by a bear, and some people ran up and they're like, hey, with all of us, we can kill the bear. Here's a spear. Killed the bear, and they stabbed me in the back and killed me and took all my stuff.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: But like, the lobbies you go into are like absurd because I don't know much you guys know, but basically all lobbies are set to wipe after a certain point. I think the whoever creates the server gets to decide. I'm sure our listeners have like known about RUSS for a long time and I have two, but I'd never really engaged with it. So the server wipes after a certain amount of times. So if you join a game late, there's like a very weird like class struggle going on because there's a bunch of people who have sent actually teamed up, created huge bases, have guns, flashlights and all this stuff, and then you spawn on the beach with just a rock and you're trying to survive when you've got these people out there who are like totally taking advantage of the fact that the game is entirely rigged in their favor, and there are no safety precautions for like new players, like literally you just like, like there are instances where people would build prisons around spawn locations, so I just spawn in a prison and I would just have to kill myself until I spawned somewhere else. But like, what's more interesting than that is that people take this to the extreme and do like crazy role playing servers, which is something that I find really interesting. Someone I watched Lote I know you watch as well, but Hassan Hiker he recently did like a he role played as a libertarian mayor for a server in Rust, and it's very entertaining. But like, the lengths people go to take it seriously are are so entertaining, and there's something really cool about it.
Speaker 4: I can't believe this game is still going because I remember when it first came out or wherever it may be in early access, I played it obsessively for ages and it was one of the most tedious, boring experiences of my life.
Speaker 1: And it still ends.
Speaker 4: It's so boring, But I remember the role playing part of it was really small back then, and it was more about survival and now it seems to have flipped around. I remember when I first started playing, like this was a common experience that happened to a lot of people, but I was like the story that you'd always find is sometimes you would spawn in and there'd be people waiting for you. They're like fully armed with guns, and they'd basically recruit you into slave camp labor camps. And that's exactly that's like happen. That happened to me immediately, Like I would spawn and there'd be three people with guns and'd be like, do not move on the ground, and then like they'd take everything out of you and be like follow us, and there was like walking dead shit, and it was like really really fascinating and interesting and like it sounds awful, but it was also like you could try and win their trust by like doing what they asked for a really long time and eventually like needing some sort of like escape attempt or something like that. And that was like that would happen once in every like once every like a month or something. Most of the time, you'd spawn in and you'd spend ages trying to build like some sort of encampment, and then someone would wander by it with a shotgun and just destroy you, and that would be russ. I remember bouncing off of it so fast.
Speaker 1: If you don't like set up your base or whatever to repair itself, it would just disintegrate over time. So like right now I'm not playing it, but all of my stuff is wearing down. But unfortunately I like stocked up on supply, so it should be fine. But it's just kind of like been in the back of my head, like I wonder if my walls have worn down and someone stole everything I spent like I don't know, an hour last night collecting or whatever. It's it's super fascinating. It's not for everyone. I think we gave it like a four, which sounds about right.
Speaker 4: Maybe the wildest thing about modern gaming is how certain people and certain movements online can take a game that's bang average, mediocre even and just make it the most popular game. Like sometimes it happens with games that are like almost objectively good stuff like you know, Fall Guys or Rocket League or or you know among Us, where there's something amazing there and they like it just gets pushed. Sometimes it's like let's find a third and make it amazing and like that seems to have happened with I know a lot of people love Rust and like, for me, it is like I call it a third based on my experience because I had nothing but a bad time with it every time I try to play it. But you go online now and people like there's like entire groups of people who are making it fun and amazing, and it's really weird how they move from game to game and they're like, let's take this thing and it's basically the equivalent of like games game stop stock, where they're like, here's something that's like on its last legs, let's just create an effort around and making it important. And that's what they're doing with games as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I think to russ credit is that there are a lot of tools there that kind of facilitate role playing, and I just think that that didn't really catch on until later. But what what would be really interesting, and what I've been kind of looking into is maybe setting up like a game spot Rust server just to see what would happen, like for the community and like for other people as well, but just to see like what would happen because I imagine the fact that everyone in the discord kind of knows each other and we're all part of that. We have like some common connection. I bet you everyone would be very polite.
Speaker 2: I bet civilization I would not.
Speaker 1: Well, some people would traw like two more. But but I don't know, Like there's there's something so fascinating about it that I'm really enjoying. I'll probably bounce off soon, like I've been playing for about a week or so, but I don't know. It's just something that like.
Speaker 4: I would be up for, like a Rust server. I'm definitely on the game, but like I do that thing where I'd be like I would appear randomly and just cause a little bit of mischief and beef.
Speaker 3: That sounds great, Honestly, you.
Speaker 4: Never know when I'll appear, but I'll appear sometime, mister X. I'll just kick in the door running and like destroy one load bearing wall and an exit.
Speaker 2: Twenty dollars is forty dollars and it has like four hundred thousand very positive reviews on Steam.
Speaker 3: Looking at it right, Wow, I wouldn't.
Speaker 4: Pay forty dollars for it, absolutely not unless you're expensing that. Absolutely.
Speaker 2: I mean, actually, look all of the all of the reviews like started pouring in November twenty nineteen, and then January first, twenty twenty one, tons of them poured in.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's it's wild how that game is still going because I I remember when it first came out, I was like it was so busted because I remember I got into it because it was Face Punch Studios, right, and they made what do they make? They made like Gary's mod for Half Life and Countless Strike, and I was like, oh, they making this is their first full game, and I played it and I was like, this is fucking terrible.
Speaker 1: I yeah, I think it's just like because when it first came out, it was just kind of like, Okay, this is realistic Minecraft, except everyone's at dick. I guess not that Minecraft doesn't have a role playing side to it for certain people, but like, I don't know, the places it's gone has been have been pretty interesting, like even like like you talking about being a troll, Like I feel like it would be really interesting to have like a murder or like hunt a serial killer or something like that. I have a serial killer on the run and like a group of people would have to try to hunt them down or something.
Speaker 3: Now we're all sold. Now you've got I.
Speaker 1: Knew I just had to bring up someal killer and that would be it. Anyway, that's enough about rust, uh Lucy, what do you think of the medium?
Speaker 2: I am so I'm about halfway through right now. I I'm actually really digging it. So one thing I will say is that I'm being very meticulous and kind of examining everything and like picking up everything. And the one thing that I will say is that I think the voiceover is really really good. However, Cardinal sin over explaining every single point of the plot. Don't need it. I get it, like I get it. Otherwise a player is going to miss it. But it's just it's not to call the sea levels. But I'm like, chill, you don't need to. She also makes like kind of strange jokes sometimes. Anyway, that's like my one gripe with it.
Speaker 4: We had an interesting moment about that with the reviewer, right, Kelly, I don't know if we want to talk about it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Jordan, I tacked that too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so like we like I was reading it, I message Ord and I was like, and Kelly as well, like got involved in it. It was like, there's got to be a reason behind games doing this, Like why do get some games really do this? It seems like such an obviously like weird creative decision where a game is like really well written and then we do stuff like over explain itself and like the best not best, but like we richa Pump were like, is this an accessibility thing? Like is this potentially a way to kind of because some people they struggle with like connecting dots or inferring tone from speech and even like the acting, And like I was like, do you think this is kind of like a way for those people who might struggle reading body language and tone and that kind of stuff to be clued into the actual what's happening because they're over explaining it to some degree, and it's like a really interesting thought experience. I'm with you in that, Like whenever games do that, I'm like, wait doing this, like it seems so weird. But I also kind of like started thinking about whether there's anything more behind it, and I'd love to get in touch with some developers and be like why does this happened?
Speaker 2: Because like you can't control where the player looks, and so I was reading about this recently. So it's like a thing where it's like if they are going to miss something in the environment. The one sure fire away that you will get that information to them is by having in a voiceover, and so that is why in a lot of games you will get those kind of to some people obnoxious, but like if you're kind of rushing through a game and you're not looking at everything, not picking like the medium is full of collectibles that you don't even really need to pick up or look at. So if you're just rushing through Golden Pathing it, you're going to miss so much of it. And so that's why you get it.
Speaker 4: The ones that really get me are like, repeat the plot moments after it just happened.
Speaker 2: The one that sprung to mind was there's a tomb raider. I can't remember if it's Rise Shadow or the original twenty twelve reboot, but you can remember, I swear you can like adjust how often Lara talks to herself, which is like, oh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can. I think it was like a difficulty thing sort of.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it was in the difficulty menu, but you can basically turn off those hints, and that was a really cool way of doing it. But I just I can't recall any of the game that's done it, since.
Speaker 3: That's a that's a smart way to approach it, because yeah, this was It's funny because I had the exact same thought you did tomorrow where I read that part of Jordan's draft about how that this thing seem as lucy really irritated him, and I was like, yeah, it irritates me too. And then I kind of had this thought like, well, maybe like if I, you know, if I'm a player that can't see as well, maybe that's helpful or what. But I kind of thought maybe I'm overthinking it.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: And then Jordan messaged me like maybe ten minutes later and it was like, Tamor had this thought about this part, and I was like, okay, cool, so it's not just me. Yeah, I thought about it of the accessibility angle before. But if that's the case, like that makes so much sense. I just it just alway, It's a thing that always sticks out to me. Yeah, And like the the suggestion that I gave to Jordan was not to like change his critique because if it irritated him, it irritated him, and that's we can't change that.
Speaker 2: It's how he felt.
Speaker 3: And so it was just about phrasing it differently. So it wasn't like putting down the existence of that feature so much as it was just giving his particular perspective because regardless, I mean, we can't in a review, we don't really speculate as to the intent of any particular part of the game, because it's just that that's not helpful for an analysis and that doesn't matter. So it was just about like reframing it, so it's like, this thing is I found very intrusive, rather than phrasing it more universally because it is something that could potentially help somebody. Was kind of the way where we landed on that. That's more of like just like an insight into the review process and not really a conversation about the quality of the medium though, But I.
Speaker 4: Would love to know if there's any people listening that like play or have those kind of moments and are like that was beneficial to me, and what other circumstances, So if you are listening to because sometimes I'm like, I guess I also think about like in a world where we're easily distracted by phones and stuff like that, like that could be also beneficial. But usually when something important is happening on the screen. I am like pay attention and looking yeah, so maybe I don't know.
Speaker 1: I will say kind of to build off that a little bit. One of the issues I ran into at the Medium was there there was a puzzle, Lucy, you probably know what I'm talking about, but you have to figure out a certain character and you have to look at this record of who attended this meeting and match up like which. And I figured that out almost immediately, like I was like, okay, there're this chair. And then I ran back down and it was like, now you can't do that exactly. There was no prompt and I was like what So I went back up and I had to look at the paper and like hit X on the paper to acknowledge that I understood it. And then the character was like, oh so, so and so was sitting at this chair for this moment, and I was like, I know, I figured this out already. You trust me a little bit.
Speaker 2: Please, I have the same thing. I think. Where I'm landing with the Medium is it is and I'm sure, like Jordan said this, so many people have said this, but it is like the Double a game that you don't see much of anymore. And it's also not very scary. The puzzles are not very taxing. It is just like I'm really enjoying it because I'm not overly stressed about it like I would be playing, Like I'm very excited for Residevil Village, but I'm already tense at the prospect of it. I feel comfortable in that world because it's like it's gruesome but within the confines of being acceptable, if that makes sense. Like looking at it reminds me a little bit of it's just like it's gruesome, but in a slightly cartoony enough way. I also cried like a baby at the opening of it. There's like a very a scene with but you kind of have to directly acknowledge some grief and I was like, oh no, just burst thus tears. And I think the premise is really cool. I will say on Series X a lot of Poppins on textures, couple of a few stutters here and there. I think the side by side stuff though, is really cool. But I can't like.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I was glad I played it in like a five hour chunk and then but I've a break from it just because you know, work and everything and so I think I'll go back to it tonight because I want to finish it. I want to see how it goes, because it's planting loads of really cool things. I didn't realize Troy Baker was in it.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, the monster. Jordan told me that.
Speaker 3: That's who he plays.
Speaker 1: A monster.
Speaker 4: The more something, Yeah.
Speaker 2: I dig it.
Speaker 3: I mean it's it's game pass like if you have game Pass, there is.
Speaker 2: You know, give it a shot. It's like the perfect test case for a game Pass game, I think. And I'm enjoying it. And also it chucks achievements at you, like it just loves them your way. So if you're into that, then.
Speaker 1: What did you think of the setting before we move on, or what do you think of the setting so far?
Speaker 2: I guess I dig it obviously being despite what my sad little Brexit passport says, but despite being because it just says like great Britain and Northern I're like, shut up European. Yeah. So I've been to Poland quite a few times and it just feels very I don't know, it just feels very like it captures a lot of history in a weird way, like there's stuff that it mentions to do with the war and like certain political leaders and stuff where are like, yeah, this is this is setting a tone.
Speaker 1: It's like a game that only a Polish studio, yeah, or developer could make, which I really appreciate about it, Like that's with all of their games typically or most of their games I know. Oh, I forget what it was called the Cyberpunk one. Observer also took place in Observer took place in Crackout.
Speaker 2: Yeah. A lovely a lovely city.
Speaker 1: All right, Well let's move on to topics, and we are back with topics for this week. We have a big one and we've got Tamoora and Lucy here to talk all about it. But we got to see more of Mass Effect Legendary edition. Now everyone saw the trailer what from Monday, I think Monday or Tuesday, but you two get to see an extended thing.
Speaker 2: Forty five minute long BCD presentation thing, which was very cool. So the stuff that we got to see was a lot more, a lot more nitygree so, a lot of tech stuff, a lot of Here's what it looked like in June. Here's what it looks like. Now here's a layer by layer composite of all the visual effects we're putting on it. Pimp in the merch time. I did do a video where I kind of condensed this forty five minute long presentation into a eleven minute video, and it's really cool what they're doing, Like it's a very extensive visual overhaul. By that, I mean you know, they're taking all the original textures uprising them, putting in and improving a lot of visual effects that make a lot of difference. And I think it's weird when you watch the footage because you're like, oh, yeah, yeah, I can sort of see the difference, and then you see the side by sides and you're like, oh my god, the entire lighting system just looks so much better. I did go in and capture a bunch I hit PABT there, but I did go in and capture a bunch of old mass effect one with no mods. And I just want to say, whoever a BioWare on the PC version said that it was running in sixteen by nine is a liar because it's not. It's like sixteen by eight and it just looks really weird in my footage, So grow up. But I know it looks really impressive. Talked to Mac Walters after to kind of and Kevin Meek and Crystal I forget her surname, but you know, members of the dev team, and they answered all the nitt Grey questions. So Pinnacle Station is not going to be incuse that code. Oh no, the time trials.
Speaker 1: The Pinnacle Station was just like the weird Combat Trials, right, that was it?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 1: I I don't care.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the source code was apparently completely broken.
Speaker 1: The one where they introduced the Libertarians. That one's still intact.
Speaker 2: Rival I no, No, bring down the Sky.
Speaker 1: Yes, bring down the sky. That one, that one's still there, that's still there.
Speaker 2: I think the Pinnacle Station, from what I could tell, is the only one that's not there. You know, like multiplayer's gone, which is a shame, but they've rebalanced galactic readiness to kind of make up for that and the fact you don't have to play was it mass effect infiltrator on your phone? It looks really good. And that trailer, I'm going to say it, some choice cuts for b Roll, some very big moments in that trailer, emotional moments. But no, I'm super excited. Think I said it before. It's just nice to be excited about Mass Effect again. And I think modernizing Mass Effect one because, like I said, I was playing it recently, like that game, it feels its age.
Speaker 3: It sure does.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the writing I think is still absolutely impeccable. And mass Efect one, I think story wise, I think Mass Effect one might be my favorite, but I think two is my favorite overall, and so modernizing it, changing the heart, huge changing Mako still messing around with the infantry though. Let's hope they makes some good changes there, but I don't think it's going to be a big thing. From what they were saying.
Speaker 1: The way like looting worked and Mass Effect one was so strange too, because there was like not tiered loop, but like you got so much crap that just piled up and you'd just be looking at like eight different ca Yeah, and you'd convert it, but you'd just be looking at like three different Camo and seven suits. You'd be like, I don't want any of these, really, but they're my best.
Speaker 2: They're there. So Actually, the part of the other reason that Tam and I were very excited, not just because the legendary edition, is because we could finally release that episode of audiologues.
Speaker 4: Cool Baby, which we.
Speaker 2: So a little bit of insight into that. We approached BioWare and EA. I think it was August twenty nineteen, and then we filmed it April last year, and we've just been been sat on it because I reached out to them originally because of the tenth anniversary and so yeah, I've been sat in that for a while. And it's like, if you haven't watched it, it's Macwolter is going through the original design document. So make sure to pause and read through those because they are incredible. We tried to get as many of them in as we could.
Speaker 4: Those documents have never been seen outside of by people who worked on Mass Effect too, so they're like BioWare was very, very very pointed about us having that, being like, do not anywhere, do not tweak these, do not do anything. This is literally full of ideas that we put together for this game, and it's it's wild.
Speaker 2: But no, Mac going through that was and talking about the inspiration like Braveheart and Princess Bride and Butch Cassidy is really really cool. It's all in there. Please please be excited.
Speaker 4: Extensive chat about Thane.
Speaker 2: Creostensive fane chair and Garrison.
Speaker 4: Or as he was known to start with fan creole fan.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's also like, while talking about as Effect, definitely want to pimp Leanna's stuff from Game Informat and key and stuff from the Gamer this week because Game in Former has like a month long stuff by mass Effect, the Gamer has an entire week and some of the stuff that they've both got, like Kean's been doing a bunch of interviews with like old Biway people, like finding out that Thane was not supposed to have like syndrome that was going to kill him, like because of a codex entry fuck up is wild. The stuff out of the ending, this stuff about like like more visual stuff in the allegitary editions. So if you want more mass Effect content games, well first all right and then go.
Speaker 4: We love Yeah. So I was devastated to learn that or see that. One of the developers was like, yeah, indoctrination theory doesn't really work for us. We don't we don't really believe in that. And I was like, how dare you absolutely listen? I know you might have made the game, but I don't get a ship where you think.
Speaker 1: Whatever. Yeah, I'm so excited. It's it's been too long since, like you're saying, it's been so long since I've been excited about Mass Effect, and especially this is trilogy that has been leaked and rumored for so long. To finally see it and see that it's coming soon is very excited and just has me excited for the future of that series, even so much so that I flirted with the idea of maybe reinstalling Andromeda. I don't think it's gonna happen, but I thought about.
Speaker 4: It playing it recently and he was like, yeah, I'm playing it for the third time. I was like, what, why is your buggle? What's wrong with you?
Speaker 2: He says bad? I mean, honestly, I never finished on Drama. I'm not I never finished on Drameda, so it's okay to go on my replaylist. I've been floating with it.
Speaker 4: I finished that game.
Speaker 2: He took time off of work.
Speaker 4: I took time off work to play that game, and I it made me like profounds, like, yeah, there's an alien in there that looks like it dressed in the Sports direct, which is like the worst part of it.
Speaker 3: I am so excited for this because Mass Effect has always been like around me, and it's one of those games that like I've played, but I don't have a lot of good like like a lot of like clear memories of because my memory is shit, and so I'm just excited. I feel like I'm going to be really like seeing it for the first time. And I always think about my little brother when I think of Mass Effect, because it came out when he was pretty young and he got so into it and it was adorable. And I'm just really excited because I think we'll be able to like play it at the same time and like talk about it, and I'm just really looking forward to it. I love it when a game that has like aged a little bit poorly gets a.
Speaker 2: New lease on life.
Speaker 3: And I'm excited to see what the game play and like mechanical tweaks, like the under the hood stuff is to kind of bring it up to, you know, modern times.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they said they've unified tried from unified control scheme across three because going from one to two to three is like, well, so feels so different. So that's one thing I'm really excited about.
Speaker 4: Do you think this is paving the way for another Shepherd story because we have that Mass Effect for trailer and it looks like it looks like, yeah, they're like picking up the N seven armor, like they're on that. It looks like that, but like.
Speaker 3: She looks like she's a matriarch at this point.
Speaker 4: Yeah, But like the speculation is they're on the hunt for Shepherd to find where where Shepherd is after the events of the last game. So do you think that's the case.
Speaker 2: Do you think is in like control as Cannon or they're going all the way back to the Normandy s A one crash site.
Speaker 4: I think I think like controllers Canon and and they're like on the hunt to find out like a shepherds am I It's like where is Jack Bauer? We need him again, like where is Shepherd? And it's not and eventually like they don't find Shepherd, but it's about the friends you made along the way.
Speaker 1: I think, like, well, because you've got Leara and she technically can be very old, so I could I could see what you're saying, but I could also see it maybe taking place away in the future and maybe you are, I don't know, still hunting down a dead Shepherd. I don't know. I'm not sure. I just don't want to play Shepherd, Like if they want to bring Shepherd and those characters back into it. I just don't want to play as Shepherd anymore because I feel like mass Factory kind of tied up their story.
Speaker 2: I don't, and I also bring all the decisions from the trilogy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it just wouldn't work.
Speaker 4: See the coldest part of me I gift Solid too that you got to play alongside Solid Snake, and then you really appreciated how cool Solid Snake was because you were looking at him do his thing. Imagine this game where like you're you're kind of looking at Shepherd do his thing. Shepherd is just a figure and you're like, oh damn.
Speaker 1: So it takes your saves from the legendary edition and then that kind of runs parallel with what you're doing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's like the head. He's like the head of the Specters now instead of just the first human Specter. But he's am I we need, we need Shepherd to restore the Specters.
Speaker 2: I'm down.
Speaker 3: When you started this, I thought you said. I thought you were going to say if we thought this meant we would get a Kotor one and two collection, I'm just gonna put it out. I'm just I want to manifest if we're going to get mass effect like this. I really hope we get it with Kotor as well.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 3: I like that would like in addition to MASSAC because I've been wanting a mass effectory master for forever. But oh, that's my stream.
Speaker 4: You've seen the rumor, right there's there's one Star Wars game that's in production that hasn't been unveiled, and it's believed and rumored to be a reboot of Kotor.
Speaker 1: But like not in development by by any like known RPG studio, right was It's like they don't think it is.
Speaker 4: The thing that The thing that I think is going to happen is it's the story of Kotor, but we're in a different gameplay model, so it's going to be like, oh, here's the story of Koto in a action model, and it's going to be like the combat from Last Jenn or when we're doing a cult we're doing the Kotor story, which is.
Speaker 3: Going to excitement is diminished.
Speaker 2: It.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's Koto story, but we've used the gameplay of a pod racing.
Speaker 3: Game, no RPG or nothing, thank you very much.
Speaker 4: It's Maria Party.
Speaker 2: But story.
Speaker 1: Well, the other I guess kind of big news is Battlefield six was talked about during a what are they are briefing do investors or something like that for EAU and they hinted at some details. Now, it's been a while since we've had a Battlefield game. The last one was Battlefield five, which I think was like twenty eighteen or something.
Speaker 2: Was gonna ask what's the naming convention has been for Battlefield because it was up to confusing and then there was confusing one Battlefield one one because of World War was that the last one?
Speaker 1: But you can go back to like Battlefield nineteen forty two, Battlefield two Hardline, wells in Battlefield Bad Company one, Battlefield Bad Company two, Battlefield three, Battlefield Hardline, or Battlefield four, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield won, Battlefield five. So it's a mess like.
Speaker 2: A little numbers thing that can stick on their wall, like a little poster that you'd have in it.
Speaker 4: It's just a flow chop, but it's like the number one and then an arrow into the number two and then an arrow into like three, four, five, six, seven. So it's just numbers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they should just I don't know. I hope it's not called Battlefield six. I hope they come something different, but they probably won't because I feel like those numbered ones sell better.
Speaker 4: That you will be just Battlefield or the Battlefield.
Speaker 2: The Battlefield Love.
Speaker 1: Will be like playing on supporting this game for the next decade. But the big takeaways is that there's a bigger player count, more player agency, and the announcement should be soon in a release later this year. I am looking forward to whatever this might be. I've played a lot of Battlefield, but Battlefield five was a huge disappointment, and I'm very curious to.
Speaker 3: See multiplayer wise or story wise.
Speaker 1: Multiple story has always been bad, well actually bad companies were okay, but the multiplayer wise because I feel like they always do. They try to do more interesting things than Call of Duty in most cases. And I know they are very different games, even though people love to compare the two, but I always was more interested in Battlefield because they leaned more into maybe not the weirder side, but it's they always seem more ambitious and more interesting, like bigger battles, destructible environments. They've had vehicles this entire time. They add jets to some games and stuff like that, and this one's supposed to be bigger than like a bigger player count than anything So I'm super curious to see what they do with these large scale battles because I feel like that's something that they could potentially do something interesting with. But the more curious thing is more player agency. I don't really know what that means.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Heighten, I I was gonna ask what that.
Speaker 1: Meant, Like, I feel like they tried to say that for Battlefield five and they're like, there's more player agency because you can, like Fortnite, a little piece of shelter to hide behind, and it's like, no, oh, I don't, No one wants that. Don't do that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they always like they always create these new like bullet Point featureless, but inevitably they get filtered through the same model where it's like more player agency, what does that mean? Image? You can shoot down a wall or like blow up a building and it's like okay, and that completely changes the battlefield and no, I doesn't. I don't like.
Speaker 1: The interesting thing about the destruction is that it used to be way more open I guess, like you could destroy anything, and they've kind of walled that off a little bit as it's gone because they try to make it more like cinematic. So I'm curious if this more player agency is just going to be like you're saying, just you can blow up more walls, which would be cool if you could level any building and blow up any wall, like you couldn't like Bad Company. But I don't think that's going to be the case. I think they want their game to look flashy because it's EA. We'll see though, just speculation.
Speaker 3: Well, friend of the show. My dad really enjoyed Battlefield first.
Speaker 1: A lot of people did.
Speaker 3: He had a great time. He likes to play games on the hardest difficulty, and he completed it became a real game because he's my boy.
Speaker 4: I kept getting killed by a man on the other side of the map that I had no chance of shooting back at because he's like figured out how to.
Speaker 2: Shoot me from.
Speaker 4: This game.
Speaker 1: I remember playing the Alpha or Bait or something in the office for Battlefield five, and I like threw off my headphones and I was like, I'm going to rearrange my life so I never have to play this again. And then I didn't play Battlefield five ever again because I was like, I can't do this. Wow, But I played. I played so much Battlefield one. I really liked Battlefield one. It was it was fun and I played so much. Battlefield three four was busted as hell though, which was a bummer.
Speaker 4: We got like a bunch of us got the game and played it once. It was like me maybe.
Speaker 2: Cat lads, no, no, no, So a little bit of insight is this. This was twenty sixteen, Battlefield one, then Battlefield on twenty sixteen. The lads, we were six Stack in Overwatch every night. We had an Overwatch WhatsApp group called Overwatch. One day the seeds of descent were sown, I believe by Dave Jewett. Can he he knows what he did. And he was like, what did we just play Battlefield? And then like a couple of people play Battlefield and the rest of used to play Overwatch. Then eventually we all got Battlefield played once. They overtook the WhatsApp group and it was called Battlefield Bros. And then yeah, the rest of us.
Speaker 4: Then they abandoned the game. A month later we disbanded. Was it worth it?
Speaker 2: It's okay, Tamini still sticks six Stack with the boys. We've got two groups now, we've got PS four lads and we've got got PC boys.
Speaker 4: In an in review Lasting Power, I.
Speaker 3: Believe, I mean, I love this because in both are like Lucy and I. We don't actually play video games together. We play video games separately with a different group of lads, and in those groups we are part of the boys slash lads, so like the only female in.
Speaker 1: Each Yes, you've really done yourself in here. You guys did this yourself.
Speaker 3: We should probably play games together. But right now it's like I log on and it's like hey boys, uh and Kelly, and I'm like, it's fine, I can be one of the boys. I don't really care.
Speaker 2: I mean, one of our groups is called well sort of game of dads have big, big uncles.
Speaker 1: So.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we should do we should do it. We should do it games for actual like group where it's us a lot in there and play some games together. Finally, yeah, that's cool.
Speaker 1: Let's do it. Bring us all right, let's move on to listener questions. All right, So the first thing I want to get out of the way is that the email seems to be broken. I kind of had a suspicion because I haven't gotten any GameSpot after Dark emails for about two months. But we've been dealing with so much stuff with this transition that I was I wasn't going to bring it up one to worry about outlook, which has been a thing. So anyway, the reason why we haven't seen any emails is because we're not getting them. So that means if you have questions join our discord, you can DM myself tomorrow, Lucy and we'll get you in there. If you don't want to join Discord, because I know some people find discord st or it's not really the thing, you can just tweet at me or one of us and if we see it, we'll make sure to add it to our ongoing list of questions and we can try to get that in. With that said, let's move on to the first question here, Calli, do you want to read this one? Yes?
Speaker 3: This is from Ryan Cooper, obviously on the Discord. On last week's episode, Calli and Jess talked about how games like Hitman and Mass Effect didn't initially appeal to them due to the hyper masculine representation of men and the marketing making the games feel like they would be Duebro games. However, once they played the games, they seem to enjoy them and find the marketing to be doing the franchise as a disservice so I want to ask what games have y all been initially wary of or I'm interested in, only to find that they were really up your alley, or even better, made you find out that you might actually be really into the genre or themes.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Ryan more Lucy. I'm sorry, but Dishonored. I didn't play Dishonored for the longest time because I didn't think i'd be into it. And I played it and I was like, oh, wow, this is this is brilliant.
Speaker 2: Okay, you came through the other side.
Speaker 1: Fine, it's true. It's all that matters.
Speaker 2: Journey Man, Yeah, what about it?
Speaker 3: Made you think you wouldn't be into it?
Speaker 1: Other style? Primarily just like I didn't whale punk Whale Punk. I liked the graphics style, but or no reverse. I liked the like the game and what it was doing, but the graphics style just didn't do it in direction time. That's that's a much better way of saying.
Speaker 3: The graphics style.
Speaker 1: Graphics style.
Speaker 4: It's like it's like the award, like a category and then a ship awards and the best graphics style.
Speaker 1: Hey, that could make the key les more entertaining.
Speaker 2: Goes to the resident Evil four. I would say, I was very nervous about Resident Evil four, but it was my first Resident Evil game. I remember like a guy from school recommending it to me, and also in retrospect, he wrote.
Speaker 3: A little note in it and oh like, yeah, yeah, he wanted to date you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, picking up on that, picking up on that as an adult. Yeah. I remember the last line of that letter being like if you hear a chainsaw run, and I was like, oh, this just put me off even more. Didn't play until like years later when it came.
Speaker 1: To did you still have this? Give it back?
Speaker 2: I gave it back.
Speaker 4: You didn't You didn't turn the note over because it said if you have a chainsaw run dot dot dot to me address.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 2: It was weird because his dad knew my mom, and I was like, I'm not going to do that anyway. I didn't play until years later when it was on Xbox Live Arcade remember the Arcade anyway, And I really really loved it because it was more of an action game and kind of goofy, and I was like, oh, I've played myself here. I could have been enjoying this for so many years.
Speaker 4: So yeah, RESI foro hm, I can't think of one like I remember I think I've said this before, but I remember playing Mass Effect one for the first time and really not liking it me.
Speaker 2: Too, until I started it over.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I started it over and came back to it when I was like in the in the throes of a deep, deep depression and I was like, this is my ship. I love this shit, this is good.
Speaker 3: We love a depression play.
Speaker 4: Yeah. That, Oh my god, that was like the best depression player I've had ever because I was like, it's literally taking me to space so far from my current world that it is perfect. And I got really like obsessively into it. Yeah. So, and it wasn't nothing to do with the marketing. I think it was just it I couldn't get into my in the right head space for it. But then obviously no, I'm just like super obsessed with that franchise. But yeah, I can't think of anything like I think it took me a while to get onto like puzzle games, like mobile puzzle games like I For example, peggel Peggle was one where I was like, that's not for me because I'm a gamer, and then I played it and I was like, I'm really finding what a gamer is now, and this is I'm obsessed with this, and then like I got obsessed with like all of pop cap stuff with Like I still play Bijorl every now and then on toilet, which is some of the best, Like the only way to make using the the only way to make taking a shit more satisfying is to play a potfalizing Bajorl And it's like this absolute peak.
Speaker 3: Oh, I don't know how to follow that up. I was going to say that Dead Cells is probably mine. I know the question is about a conversation that I had so but Jess and I like it was about games that some of them we actually haven't played yet because of that weird roadblock for us. But for me, I don't even remember why I picked up Dead Cells. I've never been into roguelikes, Like I've never not that like I actively disliked them. I just like it was never like a big thing for me. There's some like Metroidvenia kind of aspects. I've never playing a Metroid I like, like it's just really not a Cali game on the surface, And I ended up like being coming obsessed with Dead Cells, like fully so obsessed. I love that game. I even recommended it to a friend of mine, who also was like, I don't think I would like that. The art style is ugly, and I was like, no, no, like, set aside your biases, you will fall in love with it. It was Jen, we gotta do the same things the graphic style, yes, exactly. We got to do the same thing with Jen with Hades because I don't think she's given Hades a proper shake. I was gonna.
Speaker 2: Say Hades the next the next one to hit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, But I was like, Jen, I think you'd really like Dead Cells and she was like, oh, I don't like the look of it. And I was like, just just listen to me. And then it was the two of us. We lived together at the time, and it was the two of us just playing Dead Cells and then her husband being like hello, like do you guys want to like something and we were like not, no, absolutely not, like we have like stuff to do. Sorry, like let's uh, we would rather you do that. Thank you. So I'm glad. I'm glad I gave that one a chance. And it's it kind of it makes me want to go back and play, you know something like you know, some Metroid games and like or like the classical ones, not like a Metroid Prime.
Speaker 2: Obviously that's very different, but Kelly.
Speaker 4: Plays Super Metride, Super Machods fun.
Speaker 3: I it makes me want to play Super Metroid because it's like now I have sometimes like when you're not used to a genre, the same way that somebody who doesn't play games very often doesn't have the vocabulary for a lot of games. I think if you're not used to a genre, you don't necessarily have the vocabulary to be like interested in it because you can't spot those cool things like from a trailer or like you can't you can't see where the game is being inventive, and so once you have a little bit more of a foundation, you can get more into it. So I think, like I think I will go back and play some of.
Speaker 4: Those Metrods on the this Nintendo Classics thing that you get for signing up to the online thing, so it's on switch, you can play it, and yeah, fucking great, it's one of my favorite games of all time.
Speaker 1: Same, very good.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I just remembered one Guitar Hero Yeah all the time, mainly because.
Speaker 1: Like I was like, because you're a gamer, I don't know, It's like it was the music.
Speaker 4: I was like, I don't care about any of this music. This is peak white people music. Like it was like was what was it? What was like? I can't even remember some of the songs, but I remember playing like looking at it and being like, there's not a single song in this that I want, I know or I want to listen to. It was like proper, proper because I wasn't.
Speaker 1: Into Yeah, to be fair, it was like music one of them some respect on Frans.
Speaker 4: Yeah, even though I was like yeah, but like I I grew up listening to hip hop and rap and and like I just was not into that kind of Boston.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 4: I didn't want to listen to Boston David all that stuff. I was like, yeah, this is this is this is for the for the bread folk. And then like and then I played it and I was like, oh, the actual sensation of hitting the notes is still pretty good, even if I don't care about the music. And then I played that game until Sharp dress Man was on my iPod.
Speaker 1: I mean that guitar hero one was. Also. It was a lot of covers too, So that's what I was saying, Like, I feel like a lot of people weren't super wild about the music in one even though they had some good songs, at least it has, at least I thought it. I did not like a lot of those covers.
Speaker 2: I'm on the wiki. The game features forty seven playable songs, thirty of which are.
Speaker 4: Covers ye that game. But like, after I played that game and like got over the fact that I like built a taste for that kind of music, I like fell down a quite a deep rabbit hole and then like started listening to a lot more rock and roll dad rock and now LEDs are playing is one of my favorite bands.
Speaker 3: Of so yes, oh oh my god, I love that Zeppelins so much. It's unreal in incredible what journey it was for me, sorry dancing.
Speaker 4: And then like, imagine, imagine how pleased I was when they released DJ Hero, which was like what that game is, but way more up my alley with music that I was into, like modern pop and and and like a little more like you know, rap, R and B that kind of stuff. And DJ Hero is perhaps one of the most underrated games of all time, and just like a feat of creative genius. The mixes in that in that game are unreal.
Speaker 2: I think beck is in that one, which is my own Yeah, because I didn't have a DJ Hero, but I remember playing it a couple of times.
Speaker 1: So good, but I never played it. I was the opposite of you tomorrow. I remember when DJ Hero came out, I was like, I don't think I'd like the music that much. Now I probably like it a lot more, But back then.
Speaker 4: Listen to the soundtrack, like it's it's phenomenal. It's it's like some of the same kind of quality that you might get from a girl talk, kind of like the modern mash up stuff like it. Some of it is amazing, Like there's gorillas mixed with heard it through the grapevine and it sounds so good, and there's like some of that sounds there's some real, real good mixes in there.
Speaker 1: Well, Lucy, do you want to take the last question for us?
Speaker 2: This is from Timmy bean Hey after Dark Crew. Some game developers nowadays are trying their best to create graphical photo realism within their games. For you, personally, which games do you think have been the closest to achieve achieving photo realism? For me, it was when I was playing Death Stranding on the PS four Pro. The characters in that games cut scenes looked so close to being real I was taken aback the engine. It's such treasure.
Speaker 3: Shout out to Tipic death str I seriously, I love death Stranding to the point where I'm like, I should have given it a ten. I love that game so much, so just shout out to you for destr I started.
Speaker 4: I started reinstalling it the other day because again I podcast that I love called Into the Eightha. They recently talked about playing death Stranding in twenty twenty and twenty twenty one, and it apparently it hits super different.
Speaker 1: I played a lot on PC when that port came out, and I enjoyed it. I don't know if I enjoyed it more. No, I think I did enjoy it more because I kind of knew what to expect as I was playing it, and that kind of just made it more relaxing in a weird way but also depressing.
Speaker 4: Replay it. Yeah, sorry, Lucy, And maybe that could be our game that we all play together.
Speaker 1: Oh shit, but you didn't finish it.
Speaker 3: You got too what like, Oh you didn't finish it, You're free.
Speaker 2: He didn't finish it, so maybe I'm freed. I'll add it to the list.
Speaker 3: But yeah, Photo Realism This is an interesting question because I don't really gravitate toward photo realism, like as like I'm not super interested in crazy high graphics. I don't have a super high tech setup, like I just have like a monitor that works and a PC that needs a couple of new parts, but it works. And you know, I don't care about like HD and I love I love like stylized, like really highly stylized art and stuff like that. So this is a hard question for me because it's like I don't even like register this kind of thing when I'm playing a game, like I'm not like, wow, it looks so realistic. I do notice stuff like I'll watch my dad play Call of Duty and I'm like on his Series X that I got in for Christmas because I'm an incredible daughter, and I'm like, wow, this game looks crisp, like like this map looks like a real place. I don't think like Call of Didy's the most photorealistic thing, but watching him play Black Ops Cold War of like actually noticing it pop on Series X.
Speaker 1: So I was thinking a lot about this. Part of me wanted to say read that redemption too, but I think I think the thing that really sticks out to me is half Life Alex, just because of how the characters act. Like It's not like a super realistic graphical style, but when you meet characters. Maybe it's partly because it's in VR, but when you meet characters, the way they move, the way they talk, the way they interact with the environment feels so real to me. I imagine it was very difficult to do on valves end. I imagine it was a lot of rigging and they had lots of little dots on their face or whatever they do. But to me, like that, just the way characters talk and move is just so it seems it seems like I'm there.
Speaker 4: M m yeah.
Speaker 2: I think for me, the one that springs to mind when I think of photorealism would be The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, just because of the photogrammetry that they used. That was the first game that I ever remember hearing about using photogrammetry as as an art technique, like going out taking pictures, scatting them in and using those as textures. And so it's actually cool to hear it and see it. More like, because I know Battlefront two did a lot of photogrammetry, was like they would go to Lucas and take pictures of all of the actual props and stuff from Star Wars and put them in battle from so vanishly we think i't er for me, but I think it's difficult because I'm like you, Cali, I prefer a stylized look because then my immersion is weighed, like less likely to get broken.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it ages better too.
Speaker 2: I think age is so much well, like it Dishonored for example, to always bring it back to Dishonored.
Speaker 1: Like hiographical style.
Speaker 2: The style of Dishonored is like aged so well because it's so distinct and it's an entire world that knows what its aesthetic is.
Speaker 4: So yeah, I think we've reached a point where environments for the most part can be super photo realistic, like Death Stranding and Red Dead. But the moment you put a character in there, that's when it breaks for me. Like, I don't think we've reached a point where characters look for like even Norman readers, Like in Death Stranding, I look at him and I'm like, he looks like Norman readers. But the uncanny valley is there, I think, like the closest I've come. Yeah, our closest I have come to like looking at a character and being like, I believe that it's weirdly eleen arr like still, like the the way their mouth and face moves is very exaggerated. But it's the one where I looked at and I was like, that feels like that's believable, and they overacted every part of it. But it's so like if someone refined that that could But like, for the most part, the moment you part a character into a world, that's when it breaks for me, and I'm like, I don't get it now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's kind of what I was getting at with Call of Duty, Like the environments are super sharp, but like the character, it's like the eyes too, like the eye yeah, teeth, yeah, yeah, the teeth absolutely. And I would say like I actually really noticed that in Cold War because the environments are really strong and then the characters come in and I'm like, oh, you almost like look out a place. At least that's how I felt about it playing on a PS five. But yeah, I'm trying to think of an example of like, like, I do think that the characters in Death Stranding look pretty good, especially uh Fragile, I think looks pretty pretty realistic, but like her skin's too smooth. That's another thing, is like if.
Speaker 5: You want me, yeah, it's pretty bitch, But I'm.
Speaker 3: I think to look photorealistic, I need to see some pores. I need to see like a weird chin hair like yeah, to make me to a be photo realistic and to be make me not feel bad about myself.
Speaker 4: But like the environment environment, there's some like GTA four mods that still are ridiculous, Like those are the ones that I remember looking at and being like, that's unbelievable.
Speaker 1: They make all the streets wet, Yeah, and everywhere that was the game or the mod stuff where I was like it was ray tracing before we had ray tracing, I was like, how are.
Speaker 4: You doing this.
Speaker 1: Well? Anyway, That's been episode seventy nine of GameSpot After Dark. Thank you all so much for listening, and thank you guys for joining today. Lucy, what are you up to this weekend? Where can people find you?
Speaker 2: Please? Go watch the episode of Audiologus about mass effect to cut character and the writing of the suicide mission like time and I worked very hard on that last year and we're very happy to have it out. Also, go watch the rundown of the Mass Effect Legendary edition. Please enjoy the ken burnsing I had to do because I had dickle assets to work with. But I way to work and I'm on Twitter at UC James Games.
Speaker 1: You paused after you said the Rundown and I was expecting like the Rundown starring the Rock from two thousand whatever. Anyway, Kelly, where can people find you?
Speaker 4: What do you up to do?
Speaker 3: You can find me on Twitter at inky dogico I n K y d O j I kko and maybe on Instagram as Inky Crossing because I think I might actually do that. As far as work goes, you know me, like a lot of my job really is behind the scenes, a lot of editing, So please just keep up with GameSpot reviews. I also want to give a shout out, and I feel like it's been buried now so I can't find the username in this moment, but I saw somebody on the game spot discord who watched the Pokemon Competitive series, so thank you so much. I really just want to give a shout out to that because I am so proud of the work that Jake and I did on that series on how to get into competitive Pokemon, and I feel like it's gone underappreciated. And that discord message made me so happy because the person in question was like, Yeah, this is the most fun I've had with Pokemon in a really long time. I've actually gotten into the competitive scene from those videos and that made my whole week. So, because I am not publishing anything of my own right now, I would love if you went back and watch those videos please.
Speaker 1: Tomorrow. What about you?
Speaker 4: Same stuff? As Lucy said, go and watch the audio logues and watch her features. Otherwise, I don't really do anything on this website anymore. I'm on Twitter.
Speaker 1: You can find me at jacob Deck and I think as of now, there is a bonus spoiler episode from the Medium up right now that John Luke did, so if you've played the Medium, be sure to check that out. And then I also cut a God of war PS five update comparison to PS four pro. You have to squint really hard, but if you squint you can kind of see a difference. It's kind of fun to watch and you can figure out what the difference is. You can tell the frame rate though. Those those sixty frames a second look great on PS five.
Speaker 3: Also, people should watch Status Party on the Citadel speaking. Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: We actually used to have a Twitter account for Baldwin Shepherd, but I lost all the logins, so I don't know. I don't know what's going on with that.
Speaker 3: That's a series that Jake and John Luke did where they did a disaster run.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we've been trying to like think about how he can do something similar for Legendary Edition, but I don't think we'd be able to recapture that magic, at least in the same way. I think we'll figure out some sort of I don't know, let's play for it, but I don't know what it'll be at this point. It should be interesting, but anyway, that's for me. Anyway, We'll see y all next week.