Speaker 1: Hey, everybody, welcome to Gay Mess Mornings with Me Jeff Grub, your host from giant bomb dot com. Thank you for tuning in. In this episode, we're gonna be talking about EA maybe doing a massive layoffs, some Beast of Reincarnation reviews and what that might mean for the future of that game. It's gotta be a good one because we have Janatchoa on the show.
Speaker 2: Jan how are you doing.
Speaker 3: Jeff Grub, I am doing fine, solid sixty five.
Speaker 1: Now I would say that's I mean, listen, we want to be going upward. That's all that really matters to me. That's like when I like talk to my kids, It's like, hey, I don't care where you could compare to other kids. Just as long as you are improving, that's all I care about.
Speaker 2: Jam.
Speaker 3: What number tie is this? This is tie number two. I wasn't expecting to be on anything today, and then you put the call out and like, all right, well, let's let's iron the dress shirt, let's get the tie out. This tie number to uh. For whatever reason, I put my camera on log today. This is a bluish white tie. We're on tie number two.
Speaker 2: See I like it.
Speaker 1: I I feel like if I were to start doing this, Jan, I would look like a young Republican when I young man, No, not young anymore, but I would just look like a regular Republican, young at heart, young at heart. Sure, yeah, so I just I'm glad you're doing it. You could pull it off, and I'm very happy about that.
Speaker 2: Thank you job.
Speaker 1: Thank I do like, I'm like, what, like, you know, I saw you do this, so you post about like buying the ties and polking, like like what fun clothing item could I get into?
Speaker 2: And I'm at a loss. I don't know. I'm kind of really in the T shirt and cargo short. I won't call it a rut. It's a happy valley that I'm in.
Speaker 3: I feel like you can get really into like eighties and nineties style windbreakers, Grub.
Speaker 1: I say, okay, I do like the starter jackets and stuff like that. I have been an eyeing some of those.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: I'm like, you know, retro stuff, but like maybe like columb like I'll like upscale.
Speaker 2: Yeah, i'd be swanky.
Speaker 3: Jeff Grubb, you did pull off the fishing vest quite well. If you want to get into the vest era, I could see it happening.
Speaker 1: I should, I think I used that there was a wasps nest that got in the wall in my house, and I think I'm mostly dealt with it. But when I dealt with that, the ones that like were freaking out like went into the house and like went into like the basement floorboards here, and so occasionally I will find one in the basement, and I used that vest to like kill it real quick because it was the closest thing next to me, and I'm like, well, maybe it might not be dead.
Speaker 2: So I just got to never wear that vest again.
Speaker 3: Jeff Grubb, I mean this is completely complimentary. I feel like you could also pull off like one of those sports photographer vests as well. I could see you on like the the lines of a football game with a gigantic lens next to Marshall and Lynch.
Speaker 1: Right, yes, yeah, and Randy Johnson. I definitely want to be a guy who's wearing too much stuff like or it has too many pockets, Like I want to be like like yeah, that like to me is like very comforting, like all these jackets on TikTok or whatever, where it's like it's the travel jacket and there's three thousand pockets hidden all over the place. I would lose stuff in there, but it would still comfort me to have something for surefect thank you everybody for tuning in.
Speaker 2: Let's explain ourselves.
Speaker 1: We're a bunch of Internet video game dufices over here at Giant Bomb, and what you can do is support us to make sure we can keep being Internet video game duficies. Go to giant bomb dot com, slash join, become a premium member. If you do, you are supporting independent games media, and we are very thankful for you for that. It means the world makes our whole world go round, So we appreciate that. If you are someone who's going to become a new member, which you should, it's gonna get you ad free versions of our shows. It's going to get you premium access to exclusive content. I think we have the Cat Jurfman finally really close, because we have three episodes in the can now we're gonna have a fourth later this week. It's happening. Nine Line is still going on. This is the run Sewer Shark. We're recording some new episodes of that soon. These are all exclusive, exclusive shows you can only get if you become a premium member.
Speaker 3: Jeff grub Soon the folks at home will will learn about the brilliance that is boy Salad.
Speaker 2: Boy Salad.
Speaker 1: It's t it's the time of boy Salad. Our age of boy Salad is coming to an end.
Speaker 3: I'm so happy everyone gets to learn about boy salad soon.
Speaker 2: It's I'm very excited.
Speaker 1: I keep telling stuff about it and she asks me to stop, but I'm very excited.
Speaker 2: All right, let's see here what else is gonna sell?
Speaker 1: As far as this show goes most weekdays, I Jeff Grub will help piece your gaming life back together. That includes breaking news and maybe even some of our own original reporting. For all these topics, I'll get the input of a bona fide expert who will make me look smart. If you are watching live on twitch welcome, You can always listen to the show later on podcast feeds by searching for game Mes Mornings, or find the RSS feed on giant bomb dot com. You can also catch the show later with chapters and timestamps on YouTube.
Speaker 2: Hello YouTube.
Speaker 1: All right, we have a lot to get into, so let's start the morning mess with EA could be set for mass layoffs as it aims to cut costs following the Saudi acquisition. This is from Chris Scullium at VGC Electronic Arts could be set for mass layoffs following its acquisition by Saudi Arabia Sovereign Wealth Fund, the PIF Fund. The company confirmed on Tuesday that the deal had been completed. I mean it is now fully owned by an investor consortium comprised of PIFF, Silver Lake and Affinity Partners, with the PIFF, which again is the Saudi Arabian Private or cyber Wealth Fund, owning ninety three point four percent, so they own the vast majority.
Speaker 2: The deal is the largest ever leveraged buyout in history.
Speaker 1: A leveraged buyout is an acquisition where most of the costs is covered by borrowed money. In this case, it was like reported to be around twenty billion. Bloomberg reporter Jason Schreyer posted on Blue Sky that this amounts to a total debt of e for around actually eighteen billion, with the company having to pay around one point eight billion per year in interest alone. Tryer reports that EA's EBITA, which is earnings before interest in taxes, depreciation and amateurization, is around one point five billion dollars, meaning it can just about cover the interest payments without reducing the debt right, So like, first of all, they're not. It's not that's those are different numbers. One point five billion versus one point eight billion. One is less than the other, and it's it's worse. That is just like the the the interest payments, So they'd be able to pay the interest payments without reducing the debt. So they would just keep paying this number in perpetuity if they can't get that, if they can't pay more of that interest down. As such, the company has reportedly told debt investors that it's looking to make cuts to reduce its annual expenses and it's time for that sung and dance that I think we've all been expecting. As we were having these conversations about this over and over again and largest leverage buyout in history, we were like, heh, this means the games are probably gonna get worse for a bunch of reasons. Obviously they were probably gonna have to make cuts, and now here we are really feels like that's in the cards. EA's annual EBEDA is around one point five billion, which should be enough to service the interest payments, Shryer wrote on Blue Sky, But the publisher has told debt investors that it will cut seven hundred million in annual cost, including one hundred and seventy million in organizational efficiencies, per Bloomberg. In other words, mass layoffs. That is that's Jason's sort of read on the situation. But I think we all are kind of like, Yeah, what like the one hundred and seventy million in organizational efficiencies, We know what that means at this point. Yeah, it really just feels like this, This company's gonna hit a wall and the only things that will survive are gonna be the ones that we kind of know ea for at this moment, which is the big sports games, and those will just get more and shitified and worse as we go along, so they can squeak out a.
Speaker 2: Few more dollars here and there from people, right one.
Speaker 3: Hundred percent, Greb. We saw this happening with the Microsoft acquisitions over the years, of teams being reduced, redundancies across the board, and all this efficiency cost efficiency cost cutting, and it just feels incredibly corporate and heartless to frame it as that. And of course the games are going to get more shitty because we're going to be losing the institutional talent that have been at these studios. I could see this happening with all the sports games. I could see this happening maybe even with the sims other ip that EA owns. I feel like we're just going to get rinsed in repeat games. And hey Ea, you know, I feel like you could have saved maybe thirty eight point six million dollars if you didn't pay your CEO that much. That would have helped take care some of the operating costs from the tippy top instead of firing your workers.
Speaker 1: Yep, anyone who owns EA stock because of this going through is going to get around two hundred dollars a little bit more than that. That includes a lot of employees, so it's going to be a big pay day for many of them. But it's going to mean a lot of job cuts as well, very likely. You know, the question would be like where do those cuts come from. They've already cut pretty deep. They've as the story says, EA has already made a number of layoffs in recent years. Last year, Reuters reported that the company laid off three hundred to four hundred staff, including around one hundred at Respawn Entertainment, and canceled a titan fall game that was in development.
Speaker 2: Right, It's like and then we.
Speaker 1: Talk about, okay, well what's left that's in development that they could cut. It's really it's like Mass Effect, right, I mean it's BioWare you know. I guess because everything else is making quite a bit of money, but they'll still find ways to cut that to keep putting those things out. But maybe they don't have faith in buy away. I mean, I guess like motive, a motive, like the what are they all working on? They all worked on Battlefield, but apparently Battlefield was doing just fine, So anyone that was working on Battlefield, I guess they probably do cut some of those support studios and begin outsourcing that to other studios around the World's that's probably the move that they make here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, It's it's wild that Battlefield kind of like bounced back from the dead and had a very successful game, only for this to only benefit the CEO and for that team to get laid off. I'm looking at other miscellaneous IP franchises that EA owns. It just feels bad across the board of those games going to shit. And we mentioned this yesterday on the podcast Grub. But like Mass Effect and some other buyerware games very LGBTQ friendly and given the new owners. I don't know if that is something that is allowed or how much leeway a company like buyoer is even allowed to have at that point.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 3: Why don't we have more pegl? I don't think we're gonna get more pegl at this point.
Speaker 2: Right, more pegl? More PopCap games? What the hell? Yeah? Yeah, that stuff's not in the cards.
Speaker 1: It doesn't feel like anything that is not a billion dollar seller, like anything that doesn't make a billion dollars probably just is not of interest to them.
Speaker 3: I also don't think I mean we've already seen this with when a studio or a company will get taken over or acquired by someone else, is that the runway is exponentially shorter at that point to take any type of risks or to let a game breathe and try and become successful. I feel like EA, this past current iteration of BA was willing to give a game like Skate some runway to breathe and like try and become successful figure out their footing. I don't see that happening now if a game does not have immediate return.
Speaker 1: Yep, and you know, all all this goes without like pointing out the fact that, uh, you know, the crown Prince of Saudi Arabia, according to US intelligence, allegedly ordered the death of a journalist. Like that, these are these are the kinds of things where it's like, oh yeah, it's like, I mean, you know, not that the you know, various other thing. Countries that might have investments in these companies don't have problems, but it's like this is just such a clear attempt to wash the image of Saudi Arabia. How successful they'll be at that, I don't know. It always feels like it's constantly backfiring, where it's like instead people just end up hating these companies.
Speaker 2: More and more.
Speaker 1: Uh Like that the live golf tournament thing that was supposed to be a competitor to the PGA fell apart kind of immediately. It was like falling apart as they were putting it together. And it doesn't feel like this is going to go I mean, this could go differently, but it doesn't feel like it's going to feel like it goes much differently because they have this this shoe amount of debt here and a risk adverse company and people who are not going to be They're just going to keep their heads down while they vest anyone who like wants to get like continue getting their money here.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: It's yeah, it's not going to lead to good things for the many, many, many people who work at this company. So like, yeah, I don't really care much at all about EA these days, but I do care that the people that were working there had jobs. And there are some some teams that I do deeply care about, like Respawn. Yeah, and you know, like it's just the cuts are going to keep coming. The games are probably gonna suffer, and and they're gonna be under this this authoritarian regime.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I I don't see this authoritarian regime willing to take risks and have any type of fun or what could be considered as fun. I mentioned this yesterday as well. Grub it is. I didn't think it was possible for the prospect of a future Harry Potter game to get worse, but it just doubled down.
Speaker 2: That's it. That's Warner Brothers.
Speaker 1: But oh but but don't don't worry that is under the Ellison's Chance.
Speaker 2: Stands sick. Yeah, it's shitty all over.
Speaker 3: And you know, EA just has like a bunch of miscllaneous ip that they've been sitting on as well, like I don't think, uh, are are we going to ever get another SSX? Are we ever going to get another?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: You know? And then I I worry about games that I actually did, like like the Star Wars Jedi series, Like what's going to happen to that? What's gonna happen to Calkestus scrub right?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean you know they're that respond team is supposedly, you know, according to what I've heard, they got to work on that next game in the Jedi Fallen Order series right away, the third one. They're gonna make a trilogy. Whether there will be any more after that that that is a big question mark.
Speaker 2: But this does change things.
Speaker 1: Do they like look at the numbers like, yeah, I mean, look, this game sold well, but does it can does it stand a chance of making a billion dollars? And the answers no, probably, and so like does it get reassessed or do they just cut the team.
Speaker 2: In half and say, well, yeah, figure it out with half.
Speaker 1: The people and then and then this financially makes sense for us and we end up with a much worse game because of that all that is, it seems very likely at this point.
Speaker 3: Yeah, these are all definite possibilities I can see happening. Good luck ever finding or getting another Dead Space guys.
Speaker 1: Yes, so yeah, just like to for people like one about like other Star Wars projects. So it said Kotor here, Cotor nothing to do with the A. That is, there's nothing to do with Sony either, remember that showed up at that PlayStation state of place. Sony will completely wash their hands a bit effectively. That game was canceled. It is been picked up by a different studio over at Saber. They're working on it. But that's nothing to do with the A. That uh, what is the other Star Wars game. There's Star Wars Zero Company that is EA, that's Respawn working with the next external team that's coming very soon though, so that that won't be affected. And then there is a Star Wars Galactic Gracer nothing to do with the A. That is a completely separate thing. A lot of these Star Wars games now have nothing to do with the A after they lost that license for the most part. Okay, let's see here. Let's talk about Beast of Reincarnation reviews. It was at like a you know, let me double check here. I have it over on Open Critic. Beast of Reincarnation at seventy six on Open Critic. I don't know people are saying reviews are mixed. I think they're kind of all in this seven range, the seven to seven point five sort of range. Six out of ten from Travis Northrop at ign Beast of Reincarnation is an action RPG that has some great ideas blossoming here and there, and they could be hard to spot among the weeds. Three stars from Matt Wales at Eurogamer. Game Freak borrows liberally from the genre's biggest hits, and while it's messy and muddled, it's salvaged by exhilarating combat and traversal and a surprising amount of soul. Three point five stars from Shall Young Micdale at Giant Bomb. Beast of Reincarnation feels like the result of game freaks designing. Have our designers having something to say, or at least wishing they did, but constantly struggling to find the right words.
Speaker 2: That's me.
Speaker 1: It eventually becomes a very fun action RPG to play, but stumbles many, many times on the path of getting there. I'll see, Yeah, that talking to Sean as he was playing that is the since I got it's like started kind of cool y, and he definitely was way more into it by the end, but not enough to like sort of change his overall opinion. He sort of averaged out higher than I thought he would. Yeah, how are you reading all this?
Speaker 3: I know that some folks will get bent out of shape with the game getting like a three to three and a half or like a seven out of ten, But I think this is incredibly encouraging for game freaks first, foray into like this style of game. This just seems like a incredibly vicious type of game versus their other previous releases, you know, the mainline Pokemon games and then like the albeit very smaller titles like Pocket Card Jockey. Good for game freak, this seems like I feel like a lot of folks will flock to this game, as Sean said, perhaps when it reaches a sale. I don't know if this is on game Pass or whatever tier of PlayStation Plus, but I feel like some folks will eventually trickle over and check it out. The next news story I feel like is also encouraging for folks to eventually check it out versus checking it out at launch, but I trust Sewan's opinion. This is close to a Sean game where it's a character action Jimmy Jam. It does feel like it is trying to serve several masters grub and it is definitely inspired by a multitude of games, and it doesn't quite nail one of those all the way. But given the influences that the game is like building upon, I'm still interested in eventually circling back to Beast of Reincarnation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think you know, these are the kinds of reviews that I was expecting for something like Double seven First Light, right where it's like, ah, yeah, and man eventually kind of sorts itself out, but it's kind of rock you through there and say, Okay, I know they pulled it off somehow by really I don't know. I don't know how they did it, but like that was really impressive to sort of take this new idea that they hadn't really done before, or at least not at that scale, and deliver on it in a big way the first time around. Obviously you could say hit Man similar, but it's they do a lot more than what they do in Hitman in First Light.
Speaker 2: This is what happened.
Speaker 1: This is what happens with with when it's studio tries their hand at a big style of game. Their first time is like they have to sort of go through the learning process, and often those lessons show up and are obvious when you're playing the game.
Speaker 2: Now, will they get to follow that up.
Speaker 1: With a sequel back in the day, this, this kind of game coming out at this sort of in this state, with these kinds of.
Speaker 2: Reviews, absolutely would have it would have had a chance.
Speaker 1: It would have sold it well enough, you know, a couple hundred thousand copies maybe, and that would have been enough to justify it.
Speaker 2: We're in a completely different time. Who knows it's game Freak.
Speaker 1: They could probably afford it, But are they actually going to see it through.
Speaker 2: We'll have to wait and see. In the meantime, though, I think you're right.
Speaker 1: Shawn's right, and there's reasons to be optimistic about coming to this game later as it does get reduced in price. Because the next story here is Game Freak is planning regular Beast of Reincarnation updates starting next week. And the whole idea here is we hear you, We're listening. We're going to like respond directly to the sort of mixed reception that this game has had so far, Chris Calling at VGC Rights. Game Freak says it's listening to player feedback on Beast of Reincarnation and is planning a number of updates. The game was released on Monday, with critical reception being generally positive, if not overwhelmingly so. Its Metacritic scores currently sits.
Speaker 2: At seventy three.
Speaker 1: Players are also divided on their initial opinion of the game. User reviews on Steam are currently sitting at mixed, with fifty three percent of one six hundred plus reviews submitted so far considered positive. Game Frek has now posted a message VIA's official account on Twitter informing players that it's listening to their criticisms and taking them on board as they work on continuous updates. Thank you for playing Piece of Reincarnation. The statement reads, we take your feedback to heart and are currently planning a series of continuous updates. Please continue to share your feedback and suggestions with us. The first patch, which is planned to release within a week, will implement the following changes camera adjustments, increased text size, story pacing improvements, with ongoing adjustments planned changing the default setting from cinematic to performance and other bug fixes. Piece of Reincarnation is something of a departure for game freak blah blah blah.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, I mean, yeah, you know those sons.
Speaker 1: Those are things that like, well, I guess I don't know what story pacing improvements really looks like. I have no idea what that how that gets implemented very quickly, but increased text size, camera adjustments.
Speaker 2: They're making it clear.
Speaker 1: It's like we are trying to make the experience of playing this game improved. We're not just going to keep adding stuff on top, Like we recognize that there's something off here, We're going to look for ways to improve that.
Speaker 2: I mean, we've seen this work before, and it feels like this game is like not like so far gone that they couldn't accomplish that.
Speaker 1: Is this one of those ones that, like in six months looks very very different for a lot of people.
Speaker 3: I don't know if it looks like radically different, but I do see people with renewed interest grub. I mean, the problem is in this like current calendar season of games, I can see a lot of people kind of being tighter with their purse strings because of the expected deluge of games coming out in September early October. But I could see this game having like a second potential life later in the year during the holidays especially, we've seen the success stories like Star Wars Outlaws. Right, Star Wars Outlaws came to very mixed reviews, and after some nudging and judging around with some updates afterwards, that game felt like it had a second life and revitalized the game later in the year where a lot of people had revisited it, revisited it and had some positive things to say. I think I had said this during the quick look where I would be excited for the prospect of a sequel because it kind of reminded me of Stellar Blade and how Stellar Blade was very promising, and I'm interested to see what a sequel would look like now given what we're seeing of Stellar Blade two and AI music.
Speaker 1: AI dancers in the background footage, and come on, what do you mean this enables us to compete with the big guys, right, That's what everyone wants, is for a little guys to compete with the big guy's using AI.
Speaker 3: So for you know, I hope this get is successful, is successful enough or perhaps a sequel or maybe I don't know, a DLC additional chapter to get greenlit down the line.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, I think that this is definitely a time where people will kind of reassess games on a regular basis, usually alongside sales or getting entered into like you know, the PlayStation plus or whatever. At some point it already is in game pass. I think that, yeah, if they could sort of figure out a few things, people will actually probably check back in on this at some point.
Speaker 2: But it will be right, it will be after this current.
Speaker 1: Day louge, Like, it's just going to be so easy not to buy this game now and instead play something else.
Speaker 2: Now, you know, maybe maybe.
Speaker 1: The game pass aspect of it does help it a little bit that I don't know what the effect of that is anymore, but maybe enough people will like champion it and and kind of be like locked into these changes that they happen and sort of prostlytize what is what does get improved. I definitely felt that way with with with Start Wars Outlaws, but I like that I thought that I'm like, I remember like playing that game or a lamp, Like, I know this is a game that this is going to happen to where in you know, nine months to eighteen months, people are going to return to the game and like it was always good, And I'm like, yeah, because it was always good, and it's just kind of in this weird spot where it's it's you be softing And there was a bunch of factors that held that game back as well as having some issues for sure that annoyed people. They did address those and improve it, but it was easy to tell looking at Outlaws in that moment that it was going to have this like resurgence at some point. There was a lot of good foundational game there. I think this one is kind of close to that as well. Yeah, it will just be like can they get over that hump.
Speaker 3: It's interesting because this game is not specifically the same type of game that fans of Game Freak are are used to playing. Right, this isn't a bite sized experience like some of their previous titles, or this isn't anything like a Pokemon game. You do have a furry companion. That's great, right, So I'm interested to see I I feel like there is a gap where we haven't had perhaps like a Soul's like game or a character action game in a hot minute. So folks that are big fans of Near Automata Bayonetta Devil may cry, they may they may find this, or may see this and and and flock to it. I have started to see combo videos and combat videos spawning off of Stellar Blade, so maybe that will build some positive momentum. Not Stellar Blade, sorry, a Beast of Reincarnation. Also, I don't know, it's got very fun traversal. I don't know how much traversal there winds up being later in the game, but you get a weird cool tree root hair float and Sean likened it to flood from Super Mario Sunshine.
Speaker 2: Sure that's right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I'm glad it actually into play that way.
Speaker 2: That's fun.
Speaker 1: All right, let's take a when we come back. Plenty of headlines to get into. If you want to skip out on these messages, we offer you a way to do that. Go to GiantBomb dot com slash Join there we post the ad free versions of the video and audio show. We will be right back. It's Game Mass Mornings. I'm Jeff Grubb, that's Janetchoa, and we're getting right back into things. Assassins Creed Valhalla director makes sudden return to Ubisoft and will lead the series moving forward from Connor mccarr at Eurogamer. The director of Assassin's Creed, Valhalla, black Flag Origins has returned to Ubisoft to lead development of future Assassin's Creed games. Eric Baptizat Baptzet Baptizat, Damn, That's what I'm gonna go with spent almost sixteen years at the French video game Giant before leaving for Motive Studio in twenty twenty one. There he worked as the director of the Dead Space remake, as well as the game director on Battlefield six. The news was not actually announced by Baptiszat, but by his peer Gisdome, the head of content on Assassin's Creed.
Speaker 2: Guzdahan wrote on LinkedIn.
Speaker 1: After an incredible professional journey, including sixteen years at Ubisoft and then leading the critically acclaimed Dead Space remake at EA Motive, Eric Baptistat is coming back to the Assassin's Creed family as our new game director for the brand. Eric needs no introduction to this universe. Sixteen years at Ubisoft, key contributions to Black Flag Origins and Valhalla as game director. His passion for gameplay craft and his deep connection to this franchise speak for themselves. Seeing someone with this expertise, his expertise, his rigor, and his collaborative spirit step into this role fills me with confidence and honestly a lot of excitement for what's ahead for the brand. Welcome back, Eric, Yeah, okay, So I think this gives us a chance to sort of reassess like where Assassin's Creed at, where Ubisoft's at. I think we continue to think overall you be softst lost in the woods, lost at sea, whatever metaphor you want to use, and it's not like any one choice like this is going to change that. So, like, could this at least, you know, boost the future of Assassin's Creed, which is a series people still care about. We saw that Black Flag recinc sold so well. Yeah, people were like so thirsty for that, and I think this is like them, you'd be solf going, Okay, we concede, We recognize that you guys want maybe more of that. I don't think this means they suddenly get rid of all the RPG elements that got really stuffed into the recent Assassin's Creed games. Those games have done well as well people play them a ton, but I do think they're like, maybe we can strike a balance, So let's bring back someone that really understood Black Flag and here you go. Does this sort of change the trajectory of Assassin's Creed or is that sort of such a big ship that maybe even something like this doesn't have much much of an effect.
Speaker 3: I hope they are able to write the ship with Assassin's Creed. I don't wish any ill will. I'd love to get reinterested in the franchise. Grub it just it feels like it had kind of spun out and become such a big behemoth in a different way that I was interested in, and not a game franchise I was I wanted to necessarily engage with because of how how big the games are and how I don't want to say say me, but like how it feels like it is a similar experience from game to game. Now, Valhallo was different than than previous titles. I don't know. I'm glad that it is in Familiar Hands and that Dead Space remake I from my memory, was very good. So shouts out uh to Gosh, Eric Baptizat and everything, and you know, Familiar Hands as well, someone that has been with the franchise so he knows the ups and downs of it. I just don't know what Assassin's Creed could do to get me reinterested. And I don't want to say that just to make Assassin's Creed two brotherhood again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, right, that's I would love that, Yeah exactly. I was ready to check out Black Flag Recinct. I got an excuse was going to be on the best things. They were talking about it, and it's like, okay, great, I want to check this out. And what I played there was like, oh, I kind of see exactly what that game is. It is for sure, it is just that game again, but they stand it off not just like rough edges. They just sanded off everything to like just make it the smoothest playing experience possible. Now, that is in some ways, I think if it's your first playthrough to its detriment a little bit. But for most people, that's not who's playing that game. Most people are going to play that game because they played it originally they want to play it again. Maybe there were a lot of new people, but they are. They're not complaining about this either. It doesn't seem like because they probably they don't know any better, but it's yeah, it's this. It's just so easy to play at a certain point that it gives you this chance to zoom through and have those experiences all over again. And it's like, oh, yeah, nostalgia for twenty tens gaming is maybe like reaching a fever pitch. We'll talk about it a little in a little bit. JA, yeah, with some eft and like nostalgia for like early two thousands gaming maybe not so hot, and it's like, so, how do you recapture that? I think at the very least, the fact that Ubisoft is making this higher says that they recognize that if you are going to be making console style video games, traditional style games as a product, not games as a service, there is an audience of people who are making those purchases. And the ones that have kind of the biggest sway in the marketplace right now are the ones who grew up playing games from like two thousand and eight to twenty sixteen, And what can you do to sort of appeal to them? And this is a person that sort of helped define what their tastes were in the first place. So, look, do I think this is gonna have some big effect on the future of Assassin's Creed. I don't I do think that this is at the very least a smart move. They could They could have made a worse move. This could have been like, let's make it more a more like live service. This at the very least feels like they acknowledge that we know who's buying our games.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it seems good.
Speaker 3: And we've said multiple times on this show and across this website that we don't necessarily trust leadership at Ubisoft to be making the right decisions. This is one of at least a positive decision, right to Hey, people play single player games, people play games by themselves. People just want to like immerse themselves into a world. There's no reason why a game like an Assassin's Creed couldn't also eventually be like Someone's all the Time or forever game like a Red Dead Redemption two is. And I think if they just kind of like lean into that, if they lean into what made the franchise so popular in the twenty tens, but maybe put some extra pizzazz on top, potentially that could just continue to be a cash machine for Ubisoft.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they probably also are going to do some more remix, although Black Flag definitely felt like the right one for sure.
Speaker 2: I don't know if any of them will be as big as that.
Speaker 3: Eric bring back Prince of Persia maybe you can come.
Speaker 2: On, Yeah, you could make that happen.
Speaker 1: Let's go man playing Cat jurf Man and it's like, damn, Prince of Persia was influential and we need more games to like.
Speaker 2: Remember that.
Speaker 1: Marvel Rivals is shrinking by as much as forty gigabytes. This is from Chris Scollian at VGC.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Cool.
Speaker 1: Next update for Marvel Marvel Rivals will drastically decrease. I can't I can't read that phrase drastically decrease without hearing Scott Steiner go drastic, go down, drastically decrease the game's install size. Developer net East Games says Season nine point five for the team based PvP Superhero Shooter will launch on August seventh, and will include an overhaul to the game's textures that will see a big reduction in file size on the PCPs five and Xbox Series X and S versions of the game. According to the studio, the resulting update will see the PC versions install sized by drop by around forty gigabytes. Well, the console versions will see a reduction by around fifteen gigabytes. Nettie says the decrease is the result of texture compression, but has claimed to players that there will be zero difference to visual detail despite this. In a video breaking down Season nine point five, creative director man Gang Guang Wong explained the upcoming install sized optimization to players.
Speaker 2: Basically, give a description there. Okay, yeah, I bet.
Speaker 1: This is just like one of those nice PSAs for the most part. But man, that's a huge, huge number. Forty gigabytes.
Speaker 2: It's huge.
Speaker 3: That's huge. When I go through my uh moments of weakness grub where I download and delete and redownload the game, this is going to help me out because the game has gone pretty ft grub. I think this would have been fun to maybe drop with an ant Man announcement.
Speaker 2: Oh that's funny.
Speaker 3: Jan. You know, hey, Marvel rivals, we should talk. We should talk several times, so get get on hit up my line.
Speaker 1: But I was just I was playing asked about with the kid and shrinking down and doing the ant Man thing. Basically that effect is so good still, it's still mind blowing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's so good. It happens so smoothly, and you.
Speaker 1: Like you see the little playset stuff that you can like jump in or whatever, and then suddenly it's big and it just it's a man, a whole ant man game like that.
Speaker 2: Let's let's go, let's do it. It's never gonna happen.
Speaker 1: It's never gonna Twenty two one hundred and twenty two point five gigabytes is the install size for Marvel Rivals on my machine right now.
Speaker 3: Imagine having some more msy. But yeah, Marvel Rivals continues to truck long, Grub. They just had a trailer for another character that they're dropping, the Hood and I believe he's voiced by Damian Priest from the WWE, which.
Speaker 2: Is no way really.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Jubilee dropped. We all know that I was excited. I got over the cyclops and everything.
Speaker 1: I'm they did the bathing suits, and honestly, this is nice because they already it was already at like two hundred and fifty gigabytes, and then they reduced the size of a Captain America's hog got it down to one hundred and twenty gigabytes.
Speaker 2: So there's big changes.
Speaker 3: Over there, Grub. I've been able to resist dropping money and Marvel rivals since it dropped. But then some of those swimsuit skins just holy moly.
Speaker 1: I mean, what's what's the point of playing these games if you're not going to buy the swimsuit skins?
Speaker 3: Of course, absolutely, you know, I Hey, I did not mind when everyone on my teammate except me was wearing swimsuits.
Speaker 2: So that was fun, right, exactly. I could just look at the other players for sure.
Speaker 1: One hundred and twenty gigabyte Hawk is the name of my garage, man says with chatters.
Speaker 2: That's very good. All right, let's keep going here.
Speaker 1: FIFA, his first non EA published soccer game, has already suffered major layoffs. This is from Ford James at Polygon. Refractor or Refactor Games, the studio behind the FIFA World Cup Launch Edition game that was released just two months ago and was exclusive to Netflix, has laid off eighty five percent of its workforce. This news was confirmed by studio head A Nathan Berba to games Beat, while an inside Gaming report claims that publisher Delfi Interactive polled funding for the studio. This information is corroborated by Barclay Chantel, an ex art director at Refactor Games, who posted on LinkedIn, well, it looks like I'm back on the market looking for a job again, DELFI just pulled the plug on Refactor Studios right after we shipped the FIFA World Cup game for Netflix. The entire studio was let go today, So if anyone is looking for talent, I could put you in contact with someone pretty with some pretty awesome folks. Prior to FIFA World Cup Launch edition, Refactor Games worked on Football Simulator, which is a Steam early access title about the other type of football played with an irregularly shaped ball, shoulder pads.
Speaker 2: And blah blah blah.
Speaker 1: Despite its very positive user review consensus, according to steam dB, it peaked at a one hundred and eighty eight concurrent players in January twenty twenty five.
Speaker 2: The time of writing has reached a.
Speaker 1: Maximum of ten in the last twenty four hours, so it's not like the studio had something else to fall back on to.
Speaker 2: Basically, the idea of.
Speaker 1: Quickly spooling up a bunch of laborers to get something ready for the World Cup and then mistreating those people is just so shocking to me.
Speaker 4: Jan Fifa, of all companies doing this, FIFA, yes, FIFA being involved in sort of the mistreatment of the people who actually make the whole thing happen.
Speaker 2: Weird.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess this one was one of the like situations which the situations where it always felt like, are you sure, yeah, just go do a FIFA soccer game without EA.
Speaker 2: Okay, how is that gonna work?
Speaker 1: Oh, you're gonna on Netflix, Like I get it to a certain deg of like from the Netflix side of things, they're just trying a bunch of stuff.
Speaker 2: This was never gonna work for the World Cup game.
Speaker 3: No, no, Yeah, the timing is interesting, and Greb, we were just talking about like an owner or a publisher or something acquiring a game not giving said game the proper runway or let alone the team. This is another instance of that of like exploitation of workers, and I just don't know how we can prevent it, Grev.
Speaker 1: Yep, it's I mean, this is where the industry's kind of returned back to in a really harsh way. There was this idea there for a while that you know, studios and publishers will have these games as a product and games as a service, and games as a product can make a lot of money on in a couple of weeks and then they sort of fade away quickly. Meanwhile, we can smooth over those those those peaks and valleys with the live service games that have more predictable income. And now that we have these two working in conjunction with one another, everyone can kind of stay employed and we don't have to have the boom and bus cycle of hiring and laying off as we build up a game and then release a game. And that did happen for a couple of years, and then and then we've seen what happened with the saturation of the live service market and a bunch of people making way too many lottery ticket purchases in terms of trying way too many live service games. And now the conventional wisdom is go back to just hiring people when you're making a game, and then fire them as soon as it's out, so you have to so you could stop paying them, and then you could just start counting the money yourself. And it's oh God, this industry did not solve anything. This sort of this lie that was sold to us about the live service games smooth and that stuff over has been exposed and in the meantime, it's like, oh, other industries that have ways of doing this, whether it's you know, the gig idea behind Hollywood or whatever and moving from job to job while having insurance through a union or whatever that never got implemented. So this is just a worst version of this concept that we've had in gaming for a very long time now.
Speaker 3: Also baffling that this is coming from Netflix. I like, I know Netflix has made like investments into games. I just didn't know that FIFA was tied to the FIFA game was tied to Netflix.
Speaker 1: Right, I think everyone you know, World Cup happens and everyone wants a piece, and this is a way for Netflix to get that. I mean, who knows, maybe Netflix had some streaming rights in some countries or whatever. I have no idea, sure, but yeah, it's this idea of like, here's a moment, and this is a way to maybe remind people we have games or whatever, and we know FIFA is huge and they ea lost the name. We're gonna get it instead, and then we're gonna take that over. And the people who make those choices clearly don't understand how that really works. Okay, yeah, I wrote down here what in the hell is happening with Black Ops one plus two sales on PlayStation jan This is from Reese Elliott at Alinea Analytics.
Speaker 2: Shouts out to Reese Reese.
Speaker 1: The two Black Ops ports have together shifted eleven million plus copies on PlayStation in under a month. The Black Ops and Black Ops two shadow dropped on PS four and PS five on July ninth, ported by Iron Galaxy. Shouts out Dave Lang with the full campaign, multiplayer and Zombies mode. Intact, Black Ops one and Black Ops two were ports, not Remax. Rather than a from the ground up overhaul of visuals in gameplay, they were just straight up ten eighty P ports of the twenty ten and twenty twelve games, like no changes. They also cost forty dollars a pop, but twenty dollars for PlayStation Plus subscribers. Until August sixth, Sony never made the PS three originals backward compatible, so PlayStation players couldn't go back without digging out their PS three's That's why there was a lot of pent up demand, as rees points out here, and then that detonated when it was actually released and as per their estimates, Black Ops two sold eight point two million copies on place h ninety three percent on PS five, seven percent on PS four for about three hundred and twenty five million dollars, while Black Ops one sold three million copies for around one hundred and ten million dollars combined. That's four hundred and thirty five million on PlayStation in under a month.
Speaker 2: Now. It's not happening on.
Speaker 1: Xbox because Xbox had backward compatibility, although apparently player numbers boosted there. And uh, you know, Sony gets a good chunk of these games selling because it's thirty percent on their platform.
Speaker 2: Microsoft gets the rest.
Speaker 1: So it's not like Xbox is not getting money from this, but it's a reminder of like, oh yeah, when their games really succeed, it does seem to be on PlayStation. We celebrate very well there. That's where they're making a lot of money. So let's make all our games exclusive. I guess, yeah, man, what the hell I'm gonna I think it's just man nostalgia for twenty tens gaming.
Speaker 2: Jan I think that's what's happening.
Speaker 3: I was gonna ask because I never have I've never been a big Call of duty head at all. Is Black Ops one and two carry a lot of favor amongst the audience? Yes, is it. Oh yeah, okay, because when you had mentioned in the story here that people on PlayStation platforms weren't able to play it unless they dug out their PS three, I can kind of see that, and I don't I personally don't want to do the mental exercise of people being nostalgic over the PS three because I don't want to do the further math that the PS three was a long time ago at this point.
Speaker 2: Yes, so these.
Speaker 1: Games are twenty ten, twenty twelve, so we're talking we're talking sixteen and fourteen years ago.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: And that is enough time for those those annoying eleven year olds that were calling you slurs on on Xbox Live and PlayStation Network back then. Now I have a lot of disposable income and probably a lot of time. They're like right in that that sweet spot of their late twenties, early thirties. Yeah, and it's oh boy, that is clearly showing up here in the numbers.
Speaker 3: Some of them can still call me slurs, and some of them may have gone woke.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, some of our politicians, by now we can go back and see what they were really like as kids. Yeah, it's yeah, like to your point, Black Ops one and two massively huge and sort of the lineage of how people feel about Call of Duty games. I was always a little bit more modern warfare personally that I was on that side of defense. But I love these games Black Ops one and two, and for a lot of fans Black Ops wanted to clear their therapeak.
Speaker 2: It doesn't get better than that.
Speaker 1: It's and so giving this this fan base that hasn't had a real way to play these games, especially together in any functional way for a very long time. Now through two consoles, a way to get to them. Yeah, it just it hit very hard. I guess, just what does this mean? Like, what do you do now? Like I guess you're probably gonna do some more remasters or reports or whatever for PlayStation. But I think people are like, hey, we just wanted to back when it was simple. It was I get a game, I go online, I pay for online. I'll do that, and then I just want to play with my friends and then I'll buy the game next year and maybe I'll buy a map pack. Even I think people are just craving that so hard. I that this is this is delivered on exactly what they wanted.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm thinking grub that maybe, well definitely not, maybe that the Call of Duty had become way too bloated. We saw at this Xbox showcase at the end of that how they ended it with the newest Call of Duty and everyone was just kind of confused and just wondering why. And perhaps this is a sign for Microsoft that this is what players want. Players just want something more simple, more streamlined. They just want to be able to play with their friends. And maybe they don't need fifty different types of skins. Maybe they do, but at least in the case of Black Ops one and two, they just want to get online and pew their friends and miscllaneous people, and yeah, maybe we don't need a game at the gigantic scale that Call of Duty has like avalanched into.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And like, I'm not someone who, like I've said before, I don't get bothered by the skins, but this, like even the stupid skins. And I've seen like pushback in like chat before we're like no, you like, no, it's ruins things.
Speaker 2: This actually like illuminates it for me a little bit.
Speaker 1: It's like this was back when a game like Call of Duty could just exist in its own silo and have its own aesthetic. Whether that was good or bad, it didn't matter. It could be its own thing and you spent so much time in it that you can't help but grow a connection to it. And it could like it doesn't have to worry about what you know, the you know Ariana Grande was doing and hirsh popping up in the game or something like that. It could just exist separate and you had your own thing that you could own as a fan of it. I'm like, Okay, did that makes sense to me? And it's like, can these bigger games, as Call of Duty has to like keep getting bigger and bigger and bigger, has to make more and more money, can they go back to this? I don't know, but I think they will probably find ways to sort of strike a middle ground by doing more of these ports or remasters and remakes. What that really ends up looking like because it's not like they have a ton.
Speaker 2: Of these day have to do this with.
Speaker 1: I think there's a handful of Call of Duty games that really move the needle, and these are two of the biggest. Meanwhile, Halo Campaign Evolved really did sputter out of the gate, especially on PlayStation This is from Reselliot as well. Beyond the call of Duty doing Ports, Beyond the Call of Duty Ports doing Gangbusters. The thing that stands out is Halo's notably slow start on PlayStation, which ironically stings even more next to the success of two effort light Call of Duty Ports. Halo sold three hundred and fifty one thousand copies on PlayStation five in July and four hundred and fifty two thousand copies on PlayStation to eight almost twenty eight million dollars.
Speaker 2: Sixty dollars was way too.
Speaker 1: Much for this one, in Reese's opinion, and for comparison, Halo has sold through two hundred and twelve thousand on Steam and around nine hundred thousand on Xbox One.
Speaker 2: Can't help but wondering.
Speaker 1: What could have been if Halo had kept the trajectory it had around Halo three in Reach, a remake of the game that started all. Landing this softly on a new platform makes me pretty bloody sad as a Halo fan. I mean, I obviously we have to plant out. This game doesn't have the multiplayer, no, which is really what I mean, That's what Halo's about. Like Halo, great campaigns it really did, had excellent campaigns that were very innovative and sort of defining of their time, and like the AI of the enemies all that stuff. For sure, it's about the multiplayer stupid, like not going really stupid, but like that's like the feeling here is like to Microsoft, it's about the multiplayer. What like, what did you really expect here? What was this supposed to accomplish? And man, I don't I have no idea what the answer to that question is, jam, what was this game meant to accomplish?
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't know, grub I was under the assumption and forgive my ignorance, this is mean not doing my job well that I thought this was all of the Halo's like at least one, two, and three.
Speaker 1: No, that's that's Master Chief collection back from a long time ago now, which is eventually became very popular after having a very very shaky start.
Speaker 2: By sure, I mean like the first three years.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I didn't realize and I can I could still be getting this wrong. This is just Halo one.
Speaker 2: This is Halo one's campaign only.
Speaker 3: Why would anyone pick this up?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I know that you can play this on a PlayStation now at that point at this point, But like, I don't think the campaign. Sure, it's remastered, remade, I don't think that is enough because I think what PlayStation players would want is the ability to get online and play online any competitive shooter or just a multiplayer shooter versus just a campaign. It just I am further baffled the more I actually learn and and uh learn about campaign evolved.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean Feast of Violet and Chap makes a good point, like no one is talking about this the way they're talking about like star Fox, like star Fox great foundation for the future of star Fox, because it did exactly what you need star Fox to do make be pretty play great. Uh you know, do that same game again. Sure, but like let's set it up for the future. This is very similar, but but it misses a huge component with the multiplayer and it's and yeah, I don't, I don't know how this really sets this series up for the future.
Speaker 2: In any way.
Speaker 1: Uh, I don't. I don't think it's bad. It's not it's not bad. It's it's a pretty good game. It's a pretty good version of that campaign that is just uh, yeah, it's misreading the room or something.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: And now clear, it's very clear, like oh, maybe Halo is from the time before the era of gaming you should really be focusing on if you're trying to find the audience that's really spending a lot of money on games right now. I just think between Black I mean that is, we have this chart here from Reese July's top PlayStation games by copy sold number one twenty twelve's Black Ops two, twenty tens Black Ops, and those are literally those games. The ports of the games then recinc version of Black Flag at one point six million, which is from like twenty twelve or twenty thirteen, I think twenty thirteen, and then after that it's Football Club twenty six Like after that, I mean, Halo is Hanglos from a different time than those games. It's time maybe over for.
Speaker 3: Now, completely fair and completely a probable outcome grub. But also the Black Ops one and two remakes re releases, those are the full game where you are you do have the option to play multiplayer. This is just like a siloed off version of Halo, because when I think about Halo fondly, yes, sure, finish the fight, et cetera, et cetera, But like I remember hopping online the most playing capture the flag of course, or like you know, hitting someone with a gravity hammer and then someone calling me slurs afterwards.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, yes, I that's that's the true experience you have over there. All right, we have a couple more things to get to man in television Amico box art, which I'll post here jan real quick, so you can try to post that if you want. Oh wait, man, just get a copy of the image, copy image and post all right, never mind, there's just a link to the image that might be easier.
Speaker 2: Actually, those are just Nintendo characters.
Speaker 3: That's illegal.
Speaker 1: That's Warrio, It's Rosalina, a shy guy Bowser, Junior Diddy, Kong Luigi. It's not like one Nintendo character. It's a lot of Ni tendo copyrighted material.
Speaker 2: Is that the Exsio? It might be the excite bike.
Speaker 1: Honestly, that one looks like Evil Canevals, So I think maybe maybe they're just copyrighting a copyright infringing on Evil Caneval there and his trademark.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, what is happening over there? I don't know.
Speaker 3: My my knowledge of the Intellivision isn't one hundred percent. Is the best but the font with the Intellivision Amiko also makes me think of Warrior where.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I see what you mean.
Speaker 1: Honestly, the the m looks like his butt looks like Warriors but quite a bit.
Speaker 3: Who is this a goofy?
Speaker 1: Let's make it. Let's clear some things up. Tommy tell Rico no longer involved in the television A Miko. He did have to step away, although god, I wish he was involved in this so we can talk about him related to this decision. He worked hand in hand with Miamoto on Metroid Prime. It never would have happened without Tommy.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: And then he's clearly got the rights to just use this right, No, he's not involved. The intellvision OFMKO is uh. It's just baffling. So I don't think this thing is actually coming out. But this is like leaked box art of like what it would have been. So maybe this was placeholder. I don't think so, though. I just think that that company was completely insane and incompetent.
Speaker 3: You know, placeholder sometimes just nothing, don't don't put anything there?
Speaker 1: Yeah right, yeah, but but just a bunch of crazy junk instead not Warrior.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Fish weird, weird, perhaps, yeah, exactly, put just a tropical fish script.
Speaker 3: They list the six games included, and they could just put those six games that are there instead of these Nintendo people.
Speaker 1: There is a problem with that. Those games all look like dog shit. They were always really bad. They were basically like mobile games that they had to Hey, come beyond a television, Amko. Not there's anything wrong with mobile games for the most part, whatever, but it's uh when you're trying to like compete as like, heyy this is well, you don't need to switch. This is the family console, the in television, Amiko, those games weren't gonna sell it. You need something else. Apparently they thought that meant Warrior. Did they think of not using Mario? They did use Luigi? Did they not using Mario or Link They'd be like, hey, we're fine that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they they're only using the B Team. They're they're not using Princess Peach, they're not using Donkey Kong. Maybe they thought they could get away with it.
Speaker 2: You're gonna get a lot of trouble for San rose Liians on the B Team with Sean.
Speaker 1: You gotta be careful, all right, You should probably apologize them later. Sorry. This week today let's see here. But yeah, Bubbly Basin Expansion and version two point zero are out for Pacopia. You can check that out.
Speaker 3: Jan I don't know, Well, it's a busy time, but I'm I'm glad that they're supporting Pacopia though, yeah, because like exactly, I still have friends that are fiends for that game.
Speaker 2: And let's see here.
Speaker 1: Tomorrow, the major release is Marvel Token Fighting Souls on PlayStation five and PC. Looking forward to see what people think of that game. I'm definitely definitely curious. And then I guess this broke recently. Let me just say this real quick. This switch to version of Diabolo four's reportedly coming in September. I just saw that story break recently.
Speaker 2: So okay, why Diablo three did really well on the switch channels.
Speaker 3: Just why September is why?
Speaker 1: Oh shout and think, yeah, that's oh yeah, good point. Honestly, just wait till next year. At this point, this is crazy, Okay, December even put it on December, put it on Christmas Day, so people get a switch to and then go buy this game on the E shop or something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, celebrate the devil while you're celebrating Jesus.
Speaker 1: It's just peanut butter and jelly baby. All right, that does it for the headlines. Let's get to the poll question from Monday. I have it over here, but I'm gonna.
Speaker 2: Get the freshest, most up to date results for you all. Let's see here.
Speaker 1: Are you getting big Walk Yes or no? Seventy percent said no, thirty percent said yes, and that's.
Speaker 2: Of our audience.
Speaker 1: I'm like, I definitely am interested to see how this game sort of progresses in terms of its appeal to wider audiences. Does it turn into a It takes two where it ends up selling like fifteen million copies or whatever? Is it one of these? Does it get like the peak shine? Does it really take off with streamers and people kind of just see the proxy chat fun and want in on that and it sort of doesn't matter that it's a very different game in a lot of ways.
Speaker 2: Does it sort of miss its audience? I don't know. It feels like it's doing pretty well so far.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's doing pretty well. I see a lot of people saying that this maybe at the top of their list or around the top of their list when it comes to Game of the Year season. I do understand people's woes though of not being able to collect and build a group of friends or a group of people to play this with.
Speaker 2: Definitely, at least.
Speaker 3: From the language with the game, you could just get through the game with two people because it'll scale to that from two to four parties of two to four, so you know, maybe you can scrounge up one other person to play this with, but it is a big hurdle for the game to get over. And I think the other challenge grub is that the this current friend slop era we are in, I could see folks that were super into it takes to not realizing that this could also just be a couch co op game with them and someone else. I don't believe there's like local split screen though, no, because the.
Speaker 2: Whole idea is used to prox chat.
Speaker 1: Like I was, I'm been like paying attention to my friends who are playing it with their kids because I'm considering that after we play some more, and Chason Fonelli's oh yeah, he was playing with kids, and I was like, I was gonna ask.
Speaker 2: Of it, how you doing that? Like how are you what's the setup?
Speaker 1: And he like followed up immediately where he said he's like in a room with this PC, I think, and one kid is like on a PlayStation in the family room and the other one's like downstairs.
Speaker 2: Or up in a room on her switch.
Speaker 1: To Okay, that's oh okay, Yeah, I might that could work.
Speaker 2: Honestly, we could just do I might.
Speaker 1: Like the rooms upstairs are all kind of close to when another, we could just close our doors and then I can like check in on them if they need help or something like that.
Speaker 2: But I'm I might give that a shot.
Speaker 1: That sounds pretty cool now that is separate from the Kenness game blow up. I think it's gonna come down to this weekend. Jan I think this weekend, if a lot of streamers are playing it and it really kind of catches on that way, I think it stands a chance to be one of those ones where we look back next week and it's got fifty thousand concurrence or something. I don't know, if it's gonna have five hundred thousand concurrents, like something like that really takes off like some of these other friends slab games.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I think it's gonna be a big success.
Speaker 3: I'm not insulting the intelligence of streamers out there. Okay, I need to get this right out the gate. But a game like Peak, you are just getting from point A to point B and you don't have to work with your teammates here, Yeah, you're solving puzzles. It is a little bit more thoughtful. So I don't know if the streamers out there that are just screaming their heads off all the time and don't appreciate a game like mist Jeff Greb.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you gotta have a refined taste to really appreciate what's happening here, like some people who are fans missed is what I would say.
Speaker 3: You know, I don't know, but it is a possibility that this could still hit big prox chat nine times out of ten, at least for me. Is always funny. And these guys have like big honkers for paces.
Speaker 2: They do have big honkers for faces.
Speaker 1: All right, let's see here a new pole question. Have you purchased an EA game this year?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 4: Or no?
Speaker 2: Curious?
Speaker 3: Wasn't that Avatar game?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 3: Good?
Speaker 2: Or like?
Speaker 3: Didn't it hit Avatar?
Speaker 2: The wait?
Speaker 1: Which one? That one was Ubisoft?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: And that game was pretty decent? Yeah it was.
Speaker 1: I definitely would put it sort of like a tier below Outlaws, but it was still like, Oh, that's a really fun seven out of ten movie license game that is doing its own thing, and they kept improving it. I think they had a third person view for people who really wanted that, really need to see their blue person.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a game worth checking out.
Speaker 1: Still, Okay, we'll get the results of this poll question on tomorrow's show here on Giant Bomb. Speaking of Giant Bomb, it's a busy day, right, we got some stuff happening. We're recording stuff Blake Club later today. We're recording more stuff later day. So yeah, it's busy for us, but we'll have all that content out to you pretty soon. But yeah, Blake Club at two pm. Goddamn it.
Speaker 3: I gotta ask folks at home, would y'all be interestedly interested to see quick looks from games that came out this year that are like several months too late? Because I started playing Cairn last night.
Speaker 2: Ah me, okay, yeah, I know I need to play more of that one.
Speaker 3: Uh, I really like it. Grubb. It's like mature big walk.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, let me know if you know.
Speaker 1: Not mature baby walk baby steps, but baby steps, yes, baby steps. Yeah, Uh I need I know people really like Karen, and I know it. It would be my kind of thing if I just stuck with it. I've played played it and I got it to a certain point, but I think I need to just kind of get over my bigs or my baby steps walk. I was gonna do the same thing, all right, Let's see tomorrow Voicemail, Dump Truck, the Cat jurf Man's gonna be happening soon.
Speaker 2: Everybody keep paying attention for that.
Speaker 1: Uh And on Friday, we're gonna do the Giant Big Walk one pm Eastern around that time, maybe a little bit after GMM. Actually just stay tuned after GMM on Friday, and we're gonna play a lot more of that game. I am really looking forward to it. We're gonna we're gonna set it up just like the Quick Look was Sean's gonna be producing, right. I talked to Sean about that. He said, he said, you talked to you cool. So yeah, tune in for that. We're gonna you'll get multiple perspectives. It's gonna be a good time, all right.
Speaker 2: With all that, s Jam, thank you for hanging out with talking to me about video games. Man, I really.
Speaker 3: Appreciate it perfect way to start a Wednesday grub.
Speaker 1: Thank you all for watching and listening. You're the best audience in gaming. Until next time, have a good one, take care of yourself and goodbye.