Speaker 1: In October of twenty twenty four, a man in Ohio saw a skunk and his kitten ready to rumble. He did what I think most of us would do. He stepped in grabbed his cat, but in the process he was scratched by the skunk. He didn't think much of it as a scratch. He didn't seek medical treatment because again, it was a scratch. However, weeks later he collapsed and died from what appeared to be cardiac arrest. However, his cause of death would be called into question only after his organs were donated. I'm Danielle, I'm Megan, and this is Off the Trails.
Speaker 2: Yikes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so this episode's a little bit different than I think any of the ones that we have previously. I think we've done like a few animal encounter episodes, but they're not usually our main jam.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we've dabbled in it, and I know we have a few in the queue that we want to cover that are more animal related, animal encounter and attack related, but we haven't done a whole lot that involved them.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So this topic came to the forefront of my brain when we did our last headline episode, and I was just like perusing headlines, and I happen to see like several headlines like all over the country about this topic. And I was like, all right, let me do a little bit deeper dive. And since I wrote this episode last week, I have now started reading a book about the topic.
Speaker 2: I have.
Speaker 1: Disturbed my coworkers, probably deeply with facts that they didn't ask for. Literally yesterday, I'm sharing all this information and my friends started to back away towards his office and I said, hey, hey, do not walk away.
Speaker 2: I'm telling you something.
Speaker 1: And he didn't want to listen to this, but I made him, so now everyone can listen to some of this information.
Speaker 2: Well, I am intrigued and looking forward to it.
Speaker 3: And you know what, like speaking of animals, yesterday I was leaving and my neighbor waved me down, and I was nervous because I was scared that, like I was being a bad neighbor about something and she was going to yell at me cold de yeah, and she just wanted to let me know that she saw a coral snake between our houses. And she's like, I know you have a dog and a cat, and I just wanted you to be aware that I saw him and he like snuck away before I could, you know, before she could do anything about it, which, of course, like I don't want to inflict harm on any animals. And I don't know how she wanted, how she wanted to address it.
Speaker 4: But I.
Speaker 3: Am a little unnerved now because you know, you never want to know that there's like a venomous snake just chilling in your yard.
Speaker 2: No, definitely not. Yeah, I'm with you. I do not like snakes at all. I don't want that snake in my I don't want any snake in my yard. Uh the other some snakes are good, though. Some snakes you definitely want in your yard.
Speaker 1: I know, but I don't not my guard. They can be in my neighbor's yards, that's great and fine, just not my yard.
Speaker 2: For some reason, I was going down to my basement.
Speaker 1: The other night to get ice out of the freezer, and I thought to myself, as a walking down the stairs for no reason, what if a snake got in here and there's a snake down here when I go down here?
Speaker 2: Like, what why did I do? Why do I do those things to myself?
Speaker 1: There was not a snake down there, but I'm like, what if I came down here and there's just a snake.
Speaker 3: Your basement is like prime living for snakies.
Speaker 1: It is because it's partially rock cement not not cement rock foundation.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's yeah, it's like cool, it's it's dank down there, like they would love it.
Speaker 1: I think they would so hated that. But you know, other than that, it's all right.
Speaker 2: Love it. So as long as you're they're fine.
Speaker 1: I will be purchasing you a ticket to fly up here. If there's a snake in my basement so that you can help get it out.
Speaker 3: That's totally fine. I think you guys only have one venomous snake in New Hampshire. I think that's correct, the timber, the timber rattlesnake, I think right, Yes, very low population though they're very far and view between up fair.
Speaker 2: I don't want the snake in my house. I know this is something that cute.
Speaker 1: This is something I've totally made up in my mind and inflicted upon myself.
Speaker 2: But now I think about, I want to go into my basement. What does a snake in here? Why?
Speaker 3: I think also seeing them in their natural habitat is one thing, but they're startling if they're somewhere that you're not you're not anticipating them, in which I feel like we've had this conversation before.
Speaker 2: We have. Yeah, So all right.
Speaker 1: So after James Martin, the gentleman that I spoke of in the intro, died in December twenty twenty four, his family honored his wishes of becoming an organ downer after one of his kidneys went to a patient in Michigan. Five weeks after the transplant, patient started to develop trumors. They developed weakness, confusion, fever, which, obviously there can be a lot of complications from a transplant surgery, infections, so fever and some of these other things definitely can be symptoms of a whole host of medical concerns. But then he developed one telltale sign that told his doctors that his symptoms weren't caused by any of these comment somewhat expected complications from a transplant.
Speaker 2: The man developed an extreme aversion to water. Oh weird, okay.
Speaker 1: Yep, and he died fifty one days after receiving that kidney transplant. So do you know what we're talking about today?
Speaker 2: From the little I've given you, it would it be a little bit of rabies? Correct? Correct.
Speaker 1: It's one of the oldest and probably one of the most misunderstood dangers that don't come at the intersection of humans and wildlife interactions. And of course, because I took this research way far, some of the earliest accounts of rabies related symptoms at least goes back.
Speaker 2: To nineteen thirty BCE. Oh so way back.
Speaker 1: So in some documentation from Mesopotamia in nineteen thirty BCE, so way back.
Speaker 2: And I also.
Speaker 1: Again just like really went into this too much, But there is evidence that gives historians and folklore experts reason to think that at least some of the accounts of werewolves or even vampires, that those stories may actually be related to cases of rabies.
Speaker 2: Okay, I mean wearable things definitely make sense. The curse.
Speaker 1: You get bit by a wolf and you have all these terrible symptoms and end up dying. Yeah, I had surface level knowledge of rabies before, but I think it's a lot scarier and much closer to us than I think a lot of us realize. I was like doing the headlines research, and I saw articles about bats in California testing positive, a raccoon in New York, a fox in Maine, people being treated preventively after finding a bat in their house. Just tons and tons of local headlines from the past couple weeks or days, just very And I don't know if I just happened to catch the headlines at the right time where I just happened to see them all together and it felt like a lot, or if this is normal number of cases being reported.
Speaker 3: I hate that there's such a strong correlation between bats and rabies because they are so precious, you.
Speaker 2: Know, bats are like my favorite.
Speaker 1: Only four percent of bats test pust of four rabies four percent.
Speaker 2: Four percent, Okay, so yeah, not bad, right, But in the.
Speaker 1: North America at least, the primary uh vector for rabies to humans is bats.
Speaker 2: Okay, even though it's all like four percent. So, but there's a lot of bats, you know, yeah, lots of bats.
Speaker 1: So before we get into a few of the cases, I think we need to kind of talk about rabi's basics, because without understanding what rabies actually is and what it does to the body, I don't think people get the full impact of the virus. As a virus, rabies has one job, and that's to get to the brain. It gets in through a bite or a scratch or It can be contact with any kind of mucous membrane like nose, eyes, mouths, any of those places you don't want viruses, or probably any interaction with animals.
Speaker 3: Those body parts all sound way better when they're not referred to as mucous membranes.
Speaker 2: I know, I know.
Speaker 1: So once the virus gets in your body, it travels differently than other viruses do most viruses. They get into your bloodstream and then circulate Rabi's It travels through your nerves up to your central nervous system. Its goal is your brain, and I think one of the scarier things that I didn't know about is incubation period. It can be anywhere from a few weeks to several months, possibly even longer. The longest from contact to symptoms appearing that has been recorded at least is almost five years. So someone had an interaction with something five years before they develop symptoms.
Speaker 3: And that makes it so much more difficult to pinpoint the cause of these symptoms someone is having, because how do you say, like, oh, you know what, I was exposed to a bat five years ago, So that is probably why I'm experiencing what I'm experiencing right now. I imagine makes it very challenging to sometimes determine like why someone is having the symptoms they're having and where it came from.
Speaker 1: Right to be like, oh, yeah, twelve hundred days ago, I had an interaction with a bat.
Speaker 2: I forgot to mention that, right, or you know, a bat. I feel like a bat stands out.
Speaker 3: I mean a lot of animals that you don't typically interact with or touch, they do stand out. Like if if I pet a raccoon, I'd probably mark that in my calendar.
Speaker 2: And you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: Like yeah, exactly, like oh my gosh, Like on May twelfth, I pet a raccoon and it was wonderful. But you know, skunks and all of that, like kind of in your intro. It's just that does stand out, but it's it would still be difficult to make that connection when so much time.
Speaker 1: Four or five years later, Yeah, I mean even even a couple of months later. Yeah, I don't remember what I wore or eight or did yesterday, So it might be tough to remember what caused these symptoms years down the line or months even. Yeah, and during the incubation time, the virus is completely silent that entire time, so there's no symptoms, no warning until it reaches the brain.
Speaker 2: Then the first.
Speaker 1: Symptoms look like it could be a variety of health issues.
Speaker 2: Its fever, headache, fatigue.
Speaker 1: People might experience in tingling or discomfort at the original wound site, and I assume that that would.
Speaker 2: Be if it was a shorter incubation period.
Speaker 1: I don't know that if people are getting symptomes like months down the line, that they still have that tingling sensation near the wound.
Speaker 2: Maybe they do, I don't know. And this is called the prodomal phase, when.
Speaker 1: The body just feels like a vague sense of something not being right, like people just don't feel great. They don't really have a reason or explanation, which's like I'm feeling kind of crappy, not feeling good, and very quickly things get worse from there.
Speaker 2: In about eighty percent of.
Speaker 1: Cases, it's what's called furious races.
Speaker 2: Furious rabies develops. You get agitation, confusion, hallucinizations. I don't know why I was trying to put a Z in hallucin Isn't it just hallucinations, right? But I was trying to put a Z in it. I don't know why add an extra syllable with the z hallucinizations.
Speaker 1: Yeah, bizarre behavior. Eventually, saliva production increases dramatically, so that's where you get like the frothing at the mouth symptom. And then there's the hydrophobia or the fear of water, which is very extremely unique to Raby's infections.
Speaker 2: That's wild.
Speaker 1: The virus affects the part of the brain that controls swallowing and breathing, So when victims are attempting to drink, the muscles in the throat literally go into a spasm.
Speaker 2: They're physically not able to ingest any liquid.
Speaker 1: That's those spasms cause choking and the sensation of just sheer panic and fear. And in some cases, I's gonna say, in severe cases. I think any case of rabies is severe. So just any case of rabies people can even experience, just hearing or seeing water or liquid even can trigger that intense panic. The remaining twenty percent of victims infected develop what's called paralytic rabies, and this starts with paralysis at the wound site and then spreads upward through the body towards the brain. This version is slower and I guess less dramatic than you know, the symptoms I just described, but ultimately it's still traveling towards the brain and it's going to be the same outcome both forms and in coma, usually within two to three days of coma onset is when death occurs. The total window of time from when symptoms first appear to death is almost never more than two weeks, so once people show symptoms, it's very quickly resulting in death. And once symptoms appear, rabies is considered universally fatal, not mostly fatal. Universally fatal, Approximately fifty nine thousand people die every year from it globally. Most of those deaths occur in Asia and Africa, and in those areas it is mostly from dog bites. So in those areas there are a lot more stray dogs, almost it spared, but that's not stray dogs, just extra dogs I mean, which I guess kind of is true as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, spare stray.
Speaker 1: Dogs, you know, and they are obviously not vaccinated, and the risk of dogs in those areas of the world having radies is much higher. In the United States, we've gotten the number of deaths down to one to three a year, so very low, and Canada has only seen twenty eight human cases since nineteen twenty four, so at least in North America, cases are very low, luckily, but no matter where you are, once you see those symptoms, death is coming. It doesn't It doesn't matter if you have access to the best healthcare or no healthcare, you are very likely going to die. The number of people who have ever survived is so slim that with a tiny amount arounding statistically, it still makes it one hundred percent fatal. And like I said earlier, in the United States and Canada, bats are primarily responsible for the majority of human rabies cases, So not those raccoons, not foxes, not skunks, not dogs like other parts of the world.
Speaker 2: Even though like all of those animals can and do carry rabies here, bats.
Speaker 1: Are the primary concern here, and most bat bites are tiny.
Speaker 2: If you're ever bitten while sleeping, apparently.
Speaker 1: You might never know, like a bat could chomp on you and you're gonna sleep right through it.
Speaker 2: Maybe I don't know that I would, but I don't know.
Speaker 1: I wake up on America sleeper like you might just note that it happened. Yeah, their teeth are small enough that it's not going to wake the average person at least, and these bites aren't going to leave a visible mark, you know, especially if you don't know anything happened.
Speaker 2: You're not looking for anything.
Speaker 1: So if you see a little red spot on your skin, you're not thinking about it at all.
Speaker 2: Probably it's not a dramatic puncture wound. It's like invisible.
Speaker 1: So because of that, the CDC has a recommendation which I did not know about until getting into this rabies research, that if you happen to wake up and there's a bat in your room, you should assume that you have been exposed to rabies and seek medical attention immediately.
Speaker 2: And this freaks me out so much because.
Speaker 1: There have been several bats in the house that I grew up in. In my bedroom growing up, there were several occasions where I woke up and there was a bat in my room, including May twenty ninth of twenty sixteen. Because I went into my camera role, I was like, oh, yeah, I know that there was a bat in my room. When I was living at my baron's house and I found the picture of an adorable bat just hanging on the back of my bedroom door, and my son was about eight months old at the time, and he was clapping as the bat was flying around the room, So you know, now, ten years later, I'm like, oh my god, we should have gone to the emergency room.
Speaker 2: See.
Speaker 3: But this is why this is educational, so that, yes, other people can hopefully take something away from this episode.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: And when I was looking for that bat picture, I also found another random close up of a bat in a tree that I took, and I'm like, I don't even remember this, but why am I so close.
Speaker 2: To all these bats?
Speaker 1: So obviously I did not have proper rabies fear up until now. So just so anyone else is aware, especially if you live in an old house.
Speaker 2: Or you know a cave, a cave.
Speaker 1: Perhaps there was even a time where a baby bat somehow got in the basement of my parents' house and I.
Speaker 2: Did work love, but I.
Speaker 1: Scooped it up and I put it in a box, and I called a bunch of wildlife rehab or rescue places, and a lot of places this should have been a trigger moment for me. A lot of places won't take them because of the risk of rabies, and I was like, Okay, well someone's gonna take this baby bat.
Speaker 2: You're like, I guess I'm your mommy, now right.
Speaker 1: Eventually I did get my nephew's uncle. He does humane like animal removal, so he came and took the baby bat and got the baby bat to a point where he could release the baby bat.
Speaker 2: But that's incredible.
Speaker 1: Typically rehabs and things of that nature, they typically do not take bats because of the high rabies risk. Okay, because these interactions with the bat or the you know, physical contact with the bat result in nothing of note. Really, many cases of human raby death deaths in the US the person didn't even realize they'd been exposed, or you know, just dismissed the interaction because they didn't feel a bite or scratch or anything like that. There was recently a woman in Wyoming who woke up with a bat in her room, as I have, my parents have on several occasions, at least I won't say many several occasions, and for this woman, the bat was gone by the morning. She didn't seek treatment, and she ended up dying of rabies, oh my goodness. And more than two dozen people who had contact with her during her illness then had to be evaluated and treated. And most of these treatments are preventative because again, once you have symptoms, it's too late. So anyone who is receiving the rabies vaccine or treatment, it is out of an abundance of caution.
Speaker 2: Typically.
Speaker 1: There was another woman in South Carolina who found a bat again in her bedroom. She shook it out through the window and she decided she really hadn't had direct contact with it.
Speaker 2: She also didn't seek treatment. She did end up calling.
Speaker 1: A bat removal service because I'm guessing she assumed that that's were living in the eaves of her house or the chimney or something of that nature, and she didn't want a bat inside her house again, which is reasonable. But in this interaction with the removal service, they didn't mention the risk of rabies to her. And I don't know if she didn't tell them that the bat there was a bat inside her home and that what prompted this call, but it sounds like there was no oh, hey, you probably should seek medical treatment after that, and this woman also ended up dying.
Speaker 2: You're unlocking a new fear. Thank you so much.
Speaker 3: I you know, I go through my days saying, Megan, you don't have enough anxiety. I think you should find things to be anxious about. And you've delivered. Thank you, You're welcome. So you know, these were not reckless people in anyway. They were literally sleeping in their own.
Speaker 4: Homes, and they just assumed that if they had been bitten or scratched that they would have known, which again I think is an assumption that most people would make, like, oh, I don't have any visible wounds, I don't have bleeding, I don't I didn't feel anything.
Speaker 1: So I think that's an easy assumption to make that you were not in contact with the bad enough. Yeah, and again, any of those women could have been be or my family, because you know, we just opened the window, got the bat out. I think one time my dad like had broom and shoot it out. Now I'm like, we are psychos, just bat handling. Oh god, I feel lucky to be alive. Actually, I'm gonna tell them. I'm going to have a discussion with my mom later. I don't think she's aware of these bat uh concerns.
Speaker 3: I'll just send her this episode and like, you take an extra hard listen to this one.
Speaker 2: Okay, Yeah, next, some is a bat in your house. Evacuate please.
Speaker 1: Bats currently carry Raby's in every US state except Hawaii.
Speaker 2: And my love for bats has not changed.
Speaker 1: And most bats are completely healthy and they're enormously beneficial for the environment and ecologically. So we're not bat shaving, we're not giving shade to bats, but we do.
Speaker 2: And a bat outside doing bat things in the sky not a concern. We love it. We're here for it.
Speaker 3: Like bath houses like we want them around. We love them.
Speaker 1: But I actually I have on my cabinet rate above where my computer is. I have they wore Halloween bats actually from two years ago when when you were here and we put the bats up all over. Well, those two are still on my cabinet, just a year round. I'd love bats, but real bats inside your dwelling are a different situation than the general bat environment outside. The Post exposure prophylaxis or PEP is a series of four vaccines shots given over two weeks, and if you get it before symptoms start, it works pretty much one hundred percent of the time. So if you get these preventative vaccines, you're pretty much in the clear. If you don't and you develop symptoms, you are pretty much guaranteed to die. And if you interact with the bat, there's a ninety six percent of the time that that bat does not have.
Speaker 2: Rabies and there's no risk.
Speaker 1: But if you don't seek medical treatment and that bat happened to fall in the other four percent does have rabies, it is very likely that if you were scratched or bitten, you were going to die.
Speaker 2: Not to be dramatic, but it's very it's pretty dramatic. I mean, it's statistics.
Speaker 1: It's correct. I'm about those numbers, you know it. In September of two thousand and four, in Wisconsin, a fifteen year old girl named Jenna Geiss was at church with her family and during the service, a that was flying inside the church and one of the ushers kind of like swatted it down. And Jenna was an animal lover. She asked hermage, like, hey, can I take this bat outside? You know?
Speaker 2: Her mom was like, yeah, sure, I guess.
Speaker 1: So as she carried the bat outside, it bit her on her index finger. She did feel it because obviously she's looking right at her hand, I'm sure, and it hurd for a minute, but that was kind.
Speaker 2: Of it, you know.
Speaker 1: She went home, she washed her hand, she treated it with the hydrogen peroxide, and that was kind of it. Her family didn't realize the danger associated with bat bites or interactions, and they didn't seek medical attention. Thirty seven days later, Jenna started to develop symptoms, tremors, trouble walking. She was quickly admitted to the hospital and she was eventually transferred to the Children's Hospital of Wisconsin. And that's when doctor's there started to have their suspicion and they asked her family about animal exposure, and that's when her mom was like, oh, yeah, there was a bat in church just over a month ago. Soon the CDC was able to confirm that it was Rady's and Jenna's death was statistically a certainty. At this point, there were no known survivors of symptomatic rabies in patients who had not been vaccinated beforehand. Obviously, people who frequently interact with animals of all kinds like vets, ranchers, you know, people work day to day with animals. They're typically getting vaccinations in advance, probably as you know, just a routine vaccine schedule.
Speaker 2: But the rest of us are not being annually.
Speaker 1: Vaccinated for rabies like we take our pets to be, or should be. Everyone should be doing that. A pediatric infectious disease specialist named doctor Rodney Willoughby had a theory rabies doesn't actually destroy brain tissue. The brain is largely physically left intact. It's not like it's physically attacking the brain. If that makes sense. Yeah, it's basically all neurological disruption. The brain becomes overwhelmed rather than physically destroyed. So this doctor proposed putting Jenna in a medically induced coma. The hope was that it would slow brain function to a minimum, perhaps buying enough time for her own immune system to kick in and fight the virus in combination with you know, anti viral medications and things that they were trying. There is no widely accepted rabia's treatment protocol currently. Obviously, if you have symptoms, they're going to try a whole host of things. But the expectation is that once you have symptoms, it's too late. But against the odds, within seven days of this medically induced coma, the virus was gone from her system. Two weeks later they brought her out of this medically induced coma and they were not sure what the prognosis was going to be. Yes, there was no longer evidence of the virus in her body. But this was unprecedented territory, so they had no idea. Was she going to be mentally physically functional. They didn't know, but they brought her out of the coma and she woke up. This process of the medically induced coma became known as the Milwaukee protocol.
Speaker 2: Her recovery was not easy.
Speaker 1: Her brain had swelled and her body took a lot of damage. She spent seventy six days in the hospital and ultimately needed extensive physical and occupational therapy to just relearn basic functions. But she did end up graduating high school the honors. She went on to go to college, and you know, ultimately was able to live a pretty normal life. She said, she still loves bats, so she doesn't blame the bat. And although this medical protocol worked for her, there have been variations attempted on dozens of other symptomatic rabies patients worldwide since two thousand and four, but they all have still died. There are few who did survive, but there's some controversy over if they truly had.
Speaker 2: Rabies.
Speaker 1: I guess there's some CONTROVERSI who are like, oh, like, were they really experienced in symptoms or you know, had they been exposed not got that initial treatment and then at some point sought treatment, but truly the raby symptoms hadn't kicked in, if.
Speaker 2: That makes sense.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like, were they actually cured of this or were had they already sort of dodged a bullet per se, right.
Speaker 1: Or had it not actually progressed to where the symptoms were fatal?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Pretty much all of these people who did die, they were they certainly had rabies. Some of these people who survived variations of this protocol, It's like, well, did they did they really qualify as having rabies?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: And it's believed that it might have worked for Jenna because of whatever the specific variant of the virus was.
Speaker 2: It just happened.
Speaker 1: To where are my words today?
Speaker 2: I think you've been pretty good until now.
Speaker 1: You know this, this particular variant was treatable with the protocol that they used. Maybe this variant wasn't super aggressive.
Speaker 2: And also she was.
Speaker 1: Pretty young, so a lot of times the younger you are, the more resilient our bodies are, and that may have been a huge benefit for her that her body was just young and kind of could get through that and recover. But even the doctors involved in her treatment. They say that there was a lot of luck in her surviving. So even though made medical history, they were still like, yeah this, I mean, we did a good job, but it was mostly luck.
Speaker 2: So we got lucky.
Speaker 1: As of twenty twenty six, there is a slim number of known rabist survivors in human history. Estimates I saw were between twenty and forty five people. And that's like in all of known history. And again, records of brabies and brabies really symptoms go back to nineteen thirty BCE. So for all of the cases of brabies that have come since then, to have only.
Speaker 2: Even if we.
Speaker 1: Say fifty people worldwide survive, that's crazy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is.
Speaker 1: So let's go back to the organ donor case, the Michigan man who never knew he had rabies until it was Wait, was he from Michigan?
Speaker 2: Hold on?
Speaker 1: I wrote over here that he was from Idaho. The intro says Idaho, and now I wrote Michigan down here.
Speaker 2: I wonder where he's from. I think he's from Idaho. It was a second. I'm sorry, I'm scrolling through. Okay, Oh, you're fine.
Speaker 1: Yes, the original person was from Idaho. The kidney went to a man in Michigan, where where my own confusion came from, So James Martin from Idaho. There were other donors besides the man in Michigan who got the kidney, who had received graphs weeks earlier and were not experiencing symptoms, but one of the tissues' samples did end up test positive, testing positive.
Speaker 2: For rabies, and that case there was.
Speaker 1: That case is the fourth documented instance of rabies being transmitted through organ transplantation in the United States since nineteen seventy eight. Going back to again two thousand and ar and, a man from Arkansas died of what appeared to.
Speaker 2: Be a brain hemorrhage.
Speaker 1: He had no signs of rabies and they had reason to even suspect it. His lungs, kidneys, liver were donated and patients in Texas, Oklahoma, and Alabama received his organs well. Then thirty days, three of those recipients developed inflammation of the brain, and when they all saw their doctors and specialists, they were like, we don't really know what's causing this inflammation. They all started to rapidly decline. They lapsed into comas, and eventually they would die. The fourth recipient did also die, but they died of surgical complications, but based on the fate of the other organ recipients, I think that this person's fate would have been sealed either way.
Speaker 2: That's awful. The medical teams.
Speaker 1: Were baffled by these deaths, at least of the three who died for unknown reasons, so they reached out to the CDC and they quickly started looking back at the organ donor and that's when they discovered that it was rabies. The CDC called it the first known case of rabies transmitted through organ donation in the US. WOW in twenty eleven, it happened again. A twin year old Air Force recruit died in Florida and it was undiagnosed rabies. His organs went to trans went to recipients in four different states. One of the kidney recipients died, and luckily, in this instance, the.
Speaker 2: Cause was figured out pretty quickly.
Speaker 1: I don't know how they determined that it was rabies quickly in this case, but they were able to then notify the other organ recipients and they were able to receive post exposure treatment, so no one else died. And obviously you're thinking, Okay, why aren't we screening for rabies before we're transplanting organs.
Speaker 2: There is all kinds.
Speaker 1: Of testing that goes into screening donors and organs before transplantation. But because rabies in humans is very rare, routine screening just doesn't happen. Testing can be complex, and it takes more time than is available. The majority of organ or tissue transplants have to be done within a few hours of the donor's death. So if there's no reason to suspect that this person has died or been exposed to rabies.
Speaker 2: They're not. It's not something we're they're looking for. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Unfortunately, like you know, Elizabeth Holmes, as fraudulent as she was, she had the right idea of just this all encompassing like testing of just your you know, your blood sample with all these this unlimited amount of things that they're testing for, and as incredible and convenient as that would be, it's just not realistic. So unless they have reason to test for a specific concern, it's not practical to do so.
Speaker 1: Right firsthand experience, you know, after my dad passed within I think two hours, uh, you know, the hospital had had called us and they were asking for permission for him to be an organ or tissue donor. And first of all, I can't imagine being having that job where you call grieving families an hour or two after their person has died and they're like, hey, you would love their corneas, they look great. Are you willing to part with them? So you know, these things have to be done very quickly for the viability of the organs or scan or whatever it is. And again, rabies kills around fifty nine thousand people every year.
Speaker 2: Ninety five percent of deaths.
Speaker 1: Occur in Asia and Africa, with about thirty five percent of that ninety five percent being attributed to deaths in India, and almost all of those cases were transmitted from stray dogs in those locations. But you know, it doesn't mean that there's not risk elsewhere. But the risk in the US is very low, and the chances that an organ donor has rabies is very small, and there's just not enough time to get those test results and have organs be viable.
Speaker 2: The primary carriers of rabies in.
Speaker 1: The US and Canada are bats, followed by raccoons, skunks, foxes, coyotes. Raccoon rabies seems to be recorded most along the eastern coast and into the southeast US, and then also in Ontario, Quebec and New Brunswick areas of Canada. Skunk I never realized, like you know, certain populations of animals would have it more frequently in different parts of the country.
Speaker 2: Yeah, skunk rabies.
Speaker 1: Is dominant in the Midwest and Central States and Saskatchewan, Manitoba, and Ontario and Canada. Fox rabies is most common in Alaska and northern areas in Canada and parts of Texas. I was like, okay, like got North Loonata, Texas and Arizona, and then bats everywhere except Hawaii potentially have rabies. Both the US and Canadian governments have wildlife vaccination programs to help vaccinate wild animals against rabies. So I think both countries really do a good job of educating pet owners to get their pets vaccinate, vaccine, to get their pets vaccinated.
Speaker 2: I think in most states it's.
Speaker 1: The law you have to have your pets vaccinated. I think most vets offices like, if you want to be a patient of theirs, you have to have your pets vaccinated at least against rabies if nothing else. So these wildlife vaccination programs are basically oral medications are added to like a fish meal coated packet, and then they're dropped from planes or in less rural areas. The medication food snack ease are put in in areas that target animals known to frequent so they're like, oh, pandas love coming here, Let's leave them some medical snacks.
Speaker 2: Wow, And.
Speaker 1: It's a pretty success successful program apparently, just so we can all be aware, what does a rabbit animal actually look like?
Speaker 2: I think a lot of times people see an animal during the day and.
Speaker 1: They're like, oh, gip, it's got rabies, rabies immediately. I saw a fox at eight thirty am rabies immediately, And any mammal can become infected. However, you know, the ones we already talked about are the ones who are most likely, and smaller animals like rabbits, mice, rats, squirrels are.
Speaker 2: Typically not known to be infected.
Speaker 1: I mean, you should probably still reach out to your doctor if you get bit by a squirrel, but the likelihood that those animals are carrying rabies is pretty pretty small.
Speaker 2: And birds have been found to have.
Speaker 1: Rabies and antibodies, which is interesting. Not infected or symptomatic, which is interesting, but they have antibodies in their blood.
Speaker 2: That's really interesting. Mm hmmm.
Speaker 1: It's likely that some of these birds, maybe eight carry on that had rabies. So the ravens out there are like, ooh, I found a dead snack out here, so good, but that animal may have had rabies.
Speaker 3: And it makes sense though for like scavenger birds to obviously it's not exclusive to those types of birds, but they're kind of like the pickers of the sky come down and they find like carcasses and stuff, and it makes sense why they would evolve to have those antibodies so that they don't become infected by their snacks.
Speaker 2: Right. Yeah, it's interesting.
Speaker 1: So early on in an infection, a rabbit animal might look confused, disoriented, They may be unafraid of humans. Seeing a nocturnal animal during the day definitely can be a warning sign. You know, an animal that would typically flee when they see people if they're approaching. That's a concern and you obviously can't all you can't tell if an animal has rabies just by looking at it, And often nocturnal animals are active during the day, like especially when they have babies or you know, if food is particularly scarce, they might be out in the day just get that extra hunting time in. So we can't assume just because an animal is out during the day that it has rabies. But I think just a reminder that we should not be petting any raccoons, even though those one the chicken coop the other night when I went to go close them in, and I think I spooked it with my flashlight, so it was like like frozen in the corner, and I was like, you are so chubby and fluffy, and I would love to pet you.
Speaker 2: I know it's not advisable, but I'm so cute too. You sent me a picture one time of.
Speaker 3: A possum in your coop and it was so funny because I think you might need to post this picture if you have been maybe on Patreon or something. But yeah, all the chickens are chilling, they're in for the night, they're perched, and then there's just this like apossum that's just sitting there and you almost like assume that it's in its head, thinking like just just look like a chicken. Just look like a chicken, and she won't kick me out. It was a bothering them it wasn't. It was just the cutest thing.
Speaker 2: It's just like, I want to sleep in here too, Can you please not like evict me.
Speaker 1: There were several times over this last winter that I would go to close the chickens in and the possum was in there, and I was like.
Speaker 2: So cute. And it was it was nights that were really really cold, and.
Speaker 1: I was like, he's just trying to get warm with you know, his bird homies.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they weren't. They weren't bugging about him.
Speaker 3: They were just all help hanging out, coexisting in the coup.
Speaker 2: It was so cute.
Speaker 1: Even when the raccoon was in the coop, the ducks were not in the coop because they were like, we're not going in there, but the chickens were all in just snooze in and uh, you know, so precious.
Speaker 2: Oh goodness.
Speaker 1: So we live in close proximity to animals, so animals are becoming desensitized to interactions with humans. So again, an animal not afraid of us, It may just be desensitized to our presence. It doesn't necessarily mean that they have rabies. But you know, these are not diagnostic signs in any way. But I think it's just in any situation, we should be giving these animals plenty of space, keeping our distance, letting them do their thing, and avoiding any.
Speaker 2: Undue interactions that could cause death.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you're unfortunate enough to have an animal bite or scratch, she immediately washed the wound with soap and water for at least fifteen minutes is the medical recommendation, and that step alone can reduce the risk of transmission of rabies and all kinds of other viruses. And then once you get through that fifteen minutes of washing, that's when you should seek medical attention and.
Speaker 2: Tell them exactly what happened, because got to drive it home.
Speaker 1: Once those symptoms appear, the window of time for preventive treatment is.
Speaker 2: Gone, and we cannot.
Speaker 1: Expect to be as lucky as Jenna. The vast majority of people are not. Post exposure treatment, however, does work really well and is readily available in the US and Canada, So as long as symptoms have not started to appear, you can get access to those treatments and probably sur or very likely to survive, have no issues, never see those symptoms develop.
Speaker 2: There are, of course, parts of the world where.
Speaker 1: The deaths primarily are occurring where medical care may not be an option, the medication may not be available a medical facility, maybe hours or days of time travel away, and that is why we see so many deaths in those areas.
Speaker 2: But here.
Speaker 1: We have the option to seek treatment millions of people. Because I was like, all right, how many people are getting like preventative treatment, and apparently it's more than a million people a year on average in the US at least are seeking preventative treatment.
Speaker 2: So if you.
Speaker 1: Think you could be exposed in any way, you know, don't be shy seek medical treatment because a lot of people are and they're not dying, so.
Speaker 2: Just do it. This has been very informative, but this is just your Ted talk, my Ted talk on rabis.
Speaker 3: Well, thanks for sharing all that, because I wouldn't have really considered.
Speaker 1: It, no, And I think, yeah, you know, we've talked about bare attacks and you know, these big, dramatic, traumatizing fatal incidents with animals, when exposing yourself to rabies can literally be as simple as oh, I went to go close the chicken coop door and you know, a skunk ran out and I was wearing sandals and he, you know, climbed over my feet or exactly.
Speaker 2: Or you're sleeping and you don't realize that you were bit by a bat.
Speaker 1: Right, so something very simple could end up being deadly. So I think just again, not like you know, to terrify all of us, but I think I was totally unaware of all of the times I had a bat in my house growing up, how potentially deadly those incidents could have been.
Speaker 2: So I think just yep, that's my ted talk. Well, thanks for sharing
Speaker 1: Yeah, and until next week, stay safe.