Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and company. Fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: Holy crap, I don't know who the hell we think when we are get off our show.
Speaker 3: Idiots, the kids are crying or turn at the punctures are.
Speaker 1: Screwing it up.
Speaker 3: Gold Play Inner Murals, Brother, gold Play Inner Murals.
Speaker 1: They're supposed to be mature adults, but they're really not. Who's the kid here? Who's the kid here? Are you kidding me? Now? Here's Nick Coffee?
Speaker 4: Whoever can take credit for coining the phrase hottest balls outside. This was the kind of day where that that just happened. They probably didn't put a lot of thought into it. They just decided, man, it's hot. It's not as balls out here, because it is. It's disgusting outside, but you know what, it's not keeping us away. I mean we're not outside, we're indoors. In fact, the AC's working working great, and we were appreciative of our role here where we get to do broadcast inside during these disgusting temperatures we have going on. And if you're working outside, I'm sorry, I'm sure that's brutal. I hear you get used to it, but days like today. I mean, it's not even safe to be outside, is it. I mean, they've got a triple digit heat in decks, don't we. Yeah, So let me ask you this, and I could be I'm gonna I'm gonna google this while I'm gonna lay it out there, and I'm gonna trust one of the parents who told me this yesterday of my son's football practice. But I'm gonna I'm gonna google it just to make sure it is correct. If not, I'll find the right number. But do you have a guess as to what the heat in decks needs to be for them to not allow you to practice outside?
Speaker 3: I would say, you know, if it was up to me, i'd say one hundred. But I'm sure it's not that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's above that. It's one hundred and four.
Speaker 4: Okay, So I mean, are we there yet? I mean, what does it say heat in decks is? I mean you said triple it to the thought. Sorry, I'm not putting you on the spot. I thought because you said it, you had it in.
Speaker 3: Front of you earlier. Yes, it was close to that. Yeah, but I'll give you the exact number.
Speaker 1: Just a second.
Speaker 4: Current heat indcks in Louisville, Kentucky right now is as high as one oh one. Okay, so I mean it's getting there, you know, if it's one o two and yet the limits one oh four. I mean technically you can practice, but who wants to. I mean the kids are going to be useless out there. I mean they usually are anyway, No offense to the four and five year olds that my son plays flag football with. They're not useless, but you know, I mean the majority of an hour and a half practice with four and five year olds playing flag football is just trying to get them to not you know, off or eat grass or lay down or cry. I mean, and it's not because they're bad kids. They're four and five year olds and they've been you know, probably in school. You know, that's the thing. They're so young. I think only one or two kids on my kid's team is in school. The others, you know, they're in daycare and uh they got sitters or something like that. So you know, anyways, we'll see. But it's hot outside, and uh that what a tease it was last week?
Speaker 2: Right, this is Mother Nature's revenge this week. I mean she, I mean, can I say it? She's been she's been a bitch lately. She has been a bitch. I mean to case teases.
Speaker 4: Yeah, to give us that last week with football being here, Week zero was in was there, and then we get the you know, I had a hoodie on last Wednesday night at my kid's practice because it was or Tuesday. I'm sorry, because it was cool outside when the sun you know, whenever it's you get to be about seven o'clock. Last week, it would be sixty nine to seventy degrees, and you know, with that breeze is hitting, you got to throw a hood on.
Speaker 2: I mean, you don't have to, but you know.
Speaker 3: If it's any consolation, I do think next week we are going to see a return. Maybe not as no as it was last week, but I do think it's gonna be a little more temperate.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Look, when football season gets here, I just everything like life is bet My quality of life's better. I mean, I'm not kidding, just I view things in life in a more positive perspective when we've got this time of the year, football season going on, the NFL starts next week, and then of course basketball starts not long after. We get rolling, and it's just great. But the one downside is that you just get I think you actually get more inconsistent weather when you get to like pre fall or early fall.
Speaker 3: Does it make sense, that's fair because you get excited when you get a couple of weeks like we had last week whenever it's really nice. But because of where we live, we typically get some warmer weather for a couple of weeks here and there like that, like.
Speaker 4: Late's like early spring, like you know, mid to early April. That's also kind of an inconsistent time with weather. But usually it's it's to the point where you're either going to be kind of chilly or you know, kind of warm. Here you could get you know, while it feels amazing outside and the humidity is low, or it's like, oh my god, this is terrible, this is unbearable. So anyways, if you're outside, stay hydrated. It is funny how whenever you whenever you you know, you are watching local news or listening to news stations like our own news radio eight forty whas down the hall, and we get weather like this to where you know, they're probably going to be potentially canceling practices for some high school teams around the area. If the temperature gets so bad or the heat index gets so high. And yet, you know, I'd say the you know, the average demo for the news is not young children, you know what I'm saying, Like it's the average demo. I would say for the live audience that's watching the nightly news or even like the six o'clock news, I'm not kidding you. I'd say your average is mid fifties. That's a guess. I could be way wrong. I know young people watch the news, and I do every now and then, but it's not a regular thing for me. The people who make it an appointment to watch the news in the evening or late night, it's probably people in their fifties or older. Not to say that everybody does, but I'd say that's the bulk of them. And yet the people who you know are our newscasters, they talk to us like we're five. Make sure you drink water, hydrate, make sure you you know, take care of and it's just like you know, I'm away, I'm a grown up.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: I don't like it, but I've gone through this type of heat before. So anyways, welcome in Happy Tuesday. It is coffee and Company and we are fueled by Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety take us with you wherever you're going for the next three hours. You can listen live on the radio app listen live at seven ninety Louisville dot com. And if you want to be a part of the show today, I don't have any guest schedule. We're gonna be pretty guest heavy for the next three days, but today, once again, no guests. And when I say guests heavy, I don't mean we're gonna literally have a guest every segment. But you know, we do the majority of our check ins with our friends, our regulars Wednesday through Friday, and we're going to continue to do that during football season. So again, if you want to join us on the show, there's options. There's plenty of ways you can contribute and be a part of the show. Your best bet is to hit us up on the L and N Federal Credit Union text line five h two six five three zero seven ninety. Also give us a call five ho two five seven one seventy nine hundred And if you were on the platform, they now call X. I still call Twitter at the card connect and at Alden On the air, I was typing your name the other day to somebody and I and I wrote John al Dean, oh digit, And I thought, man, John Alden, you could be a cover guy. You could be a guy who just covers nothing but al Dean hits, and he's got a lot of them by the way he does. And you could be John Alden instead of Jason.
Speaker 3: Most people who mispronounced my last name that they go with, even though it's not spelled the same way as Jason Aldan.
Speaker 4: Tell them to try that in a small town they get it wrong again, they should at Alden on the air. That's how you can find him. He's the company man, mister John Alden. And again, if you didn't know, now you know my name is Nick Coffee, hence the name Coffee and Company.
Speaker 2: All Right, So.
Speaker 4: I love when you open up the season against a notable opponent and you get a chance to see right away where your team stands in football. And I didn't realize it until we got closer to this season. How rare it is for Louisville football to be opening up with a Saturday game against a non Power five team. And we can go back and check the archives. It's not that difficult to do. But like Louisville has either opened up on a week night against a RANDO team or on a Sunday because they were playing Kentucky, or they've had an opener against a legitimate opponent. And I love that, And you know, I kind of got spoiled. Now, as we discussed yesterday, there are some benefits here to play Austin P and Jacksonville State and your opener because like a lot of teams, you've got new pieces, right and although a lot of these guys in the portal that you're bringing in are experienced, they've not all played together.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 4: This is you know, you've got a lot of new pieces that are going to be playing a lot of reps this year, and they've had spring, they've had fall camp, but now they're playing against, you know, an actual other opponent and it's a real game that counts. So it is beneficial to kind of ease in. And I wouldn't be shocked if Jeff Brohm takes this approach moving forward. Don't love it, but I get it. So one of the downsides of your Week one opponent being Austin P is that it's Austin P. And like I could sit here and tell you some things about Austin P. But none of you care. We're not worried about Austin P beating Louisville. We don't care about Austin P.
Speaker 2: Do we.
Speaker 4: I mean, I'm going to bring in a beat writer, because, believe it or not, Austin P Football does have a beat writer that covers their team. I don't mean to, you know, knock the guy because but like you wouldn't shock me if newspapers, which by the way, are slashing jobs every day, if they decided, you know what, Austin p'n we'll post your box scores.
Speaker 2: Guys.
Speaker 4: We don't have the resources because nobody pays for the newspaper anymore. We know the resources to pay anybody. But we'll post a box score in there. Maybe maybe throw a coaches quote in there, will post game right up. Maybe we'll use AI, which I'm not even kidding by the way. They I mean, I don't know if you remember last year there was a national service that rolled out AI to provide, you know, very minimal postgame write ups about games by just looking at box scores. I don't know how AI works when it comes to that, but they tried it, and you know, it got published and it was a big embarrassment and they'll probably never try that again. But that's just where we are. So you know, we'll give you what you need to know. But then again, what do you really need to know? It's Austin P. And that's no disrespect to Austin P. But as we discussed yesterday, you know, they know what's up. They know what this is. Austin P's getting a big check to come in here and get their ass kicked. They can have the pregame pump up speech in the locker room. They can talk about others that have shocked the world. They can utter things like well, you know, crazier things have happened, But make no mistake about it. In the back of their mind, they know what it is. They know what time it is on Saturday at noon. Bend over and take it, take your check on the way out. We'll see you later. That's what it is. So you know, I can't wait to actually get real Louisville football at noon on Saturday at Llen N Cardinal Stadium.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna be great.
Speaker 4: God, I can't wait to just pound beers at the tailgate I mean that, but that's you know, I'm not really thinking, man, when I walk out of Cardinal Stadium, it sober up find a place through the postgame show, you know, man, I was. I'm so impressed with the way Jeff Broms offense really held their own against that Austin p defense. I mean, like, I know that's not realistically what's gonna happen. And when you play other teams, right, like when you got Georgia Tech on the schedule in a few weeks, you know you're gonna get a chance to to you know, learn about your team a little bit there because of what they did in Ireland knocking off FSU, pulling off the first big upset of the season. But that's not like that's just not what this is, but it's part of it, right, And I don't see a scenario where and by the way, if you ever hear any coaches complain, and I don't think you will, and maybe and I can't. I can't really think of any big storylines or I guess say not storylines, but like headlines, newsworthy stuff from these FCS programs that come in here to get a check. Like I've not heard many heard of coaches, you know, complaining about the score being run up against them, you know what I mean, Or about somebody doing a pass play on third down when they're up fifty. You know why, because beggars can't beat choosers. Baby, you're coming in here and we're going to decide how this goes. So again I bring that up to say that if they start complaining, you know, all it takes is somebody to you know, realize we don't need to do this. I mean, we could just get rid of these games. And who would suffer these schools, That's it. That's the only people that would suffer from not having these games against FCS teams. So anyways, with all that said, I do have some fast facts for you about Austin P. And I know you've been on the edge of your seat, John to.
Speaker 2: Get this, So give me the fast facts.
Speaker 4: Austin P's head coach is younger than me. Really now, Yeah, his name's Austin I'm sorry, Jeff Ferris, not all Ferris. Austin P' is the school, but Jeff Ferris is his name. He's thirty four years old.
Speaker 2: I mean, young gun.
Speaker 4: Young guy, played at Duke. He's a Duchie. He was a longtime duke assistant under David Cutcliffe before he retired. And once Cutcliffe retired and they brought in Elko, he moved. Ferris moved to LA to work under Chip Kelly. He is a Knoxville, Tennessee native, and he replaced a guy named Scotty Walden. Then go went to school with the Scotty Walden. He was him the band might be the same guy, North Bullet PEP Band, Austin p head coach. Not a crazy career path if you think about it. But anyways, this guy, Scotty Walden, he's now been hired at UTEP after four seasons at Austin P So with Ferris, he's bringing in is an entire new staff. They've got a they've got an offensive coordinator who was the quarterback coach at Jackson State. That's uh, It's where Dion went right, it was so did he? I wonder if he was the quarterbacks coach for Dion there. He probably was just there for a year when Dion. You know when Dion moved, because I thought Dion brought his luggage with him.
Speaker 2: Louis has Gucci or yes, Louis, Yeah.
Speaker 4: He's he didn't. He's not with him at Colorado instead, he's at Austin, PE.
Speaker 2: So he must not be.
Speaker 4: Louie was a Gucci or Louis Louis you had it. Yeah, So anyways, Uh, their defensive coordinator is Trip Weaver.
Speaker 2: That's a good name. That's a TV character name. Is it not old Trip Weaver? Trip Weaver? He was up to no good exactly, Trip Weaver.
Speaker 4: In the family sitcom of the nineties, Trip Weaver is the neighborhood kid that the dad you know, just doesn't like, and Trip Weaver just shows up, walks in, like to his garage when he's working on uh, working on the car. The dad is and Trip Weaver walks over to his to his fridge and like tries to steal a beer, and the Dad's like, come on, Trip, I'm right here. You know, like you could see that. You can visualize the scene playing out right absolutely. And then like at one point the trip the dad's son, he gets caught with a joint at school.
Speaker 2: You know what a joint is. I do know what a joint is.
Speaker 4: They don't know if they still call it that or nothing. You know, back when my parents were grow don't think they called it a doobie. We called it a joint. Maybe they got something new out there now they call it. I don't know, but the kid gets caught with a joint and then they later find out that he was holding it for Trip Weaver. Tell me, that's not an episode in a family sitcom that came out in nineteen ninety seven.
Speaker 2: CBS should sign you right now. Exactly every other show on there is the same. Probably they should sign me.
Speaker 4: I got all these ideas just running around up here in this big head of mine. But anyways, Trip Weaver coached the safeties at East Carolina most recently. They also have and this is wild the biggest name on the staff, according to this write up at the Leaf Chronicle, the newspaper there in Clarksfield, Tennessee. Yeah, George Quarrels is the biggest name on the staff. He's a legendary coach at Maryville High School and he was East Tennessee State's coach in twenty twenty two and twenty twenty three. He's not gonna be coaching the tight ends, so I guess he was a legendary high school coach. Made the move at He's to East Tennessee State and now he's on the Austin p staff, So you know, I don't it looks like they've got forty three of their one hundred and two players on their roster were on their team last year who won the inaugural United Athletic Conference championship. Their quarterback is h looks like their quarterback he's exhausted his eligibility, which means he's not he's not back. But a lot of the other departures, you know, hit via the portal, which that is something I'm I'm curious about, like this, does this level get gutted by the portal as much as G five because I feel like it's a rare.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 4: Maybe the G five schools get these kids from the fcs because the really good G five players end up hitting the portal to go power five. Like maybe that's the food chain here. I don't know, But did you know that they've got a defensive back that is transferred in John who played for the Hoosiers last year.
Speaker 2: Oh give me, give me the name. Who is it? Saidarius Dass? I do remember Sadarius DAWs. I don't think he played very Are you wearing you Yeah at Austin P.
Speaker 4: Are you going to be wearing your Sceidarius Doss jersey to the game on Saturday?
Speaker 2: Take it up out of the deep depths of the closet. Yeah.
Speaker 4: So he's from Birmingham, Alabama, and uh doesn't look like he played much. Actually fifteen starts since in Uh oh wow, this can't be true, right he is a sixth year he's a seventh year senior.
Speaker 2: Doesn't surprise me. Yeah, nothing with the eligibility. Yeah, that's crazy. That surprises me anymore.
Speaker 4: So in twenty three career games in fifteen starts over six seasons at IU, he's a seventh year guy at Austin P. Is he the same age as coach? Could be closed, I mean not far right. So anyways, that's what you should know about Austin P. And they're coming here to get a beat down. And uh, you know, I've already had some people in the text line. Somebody said it within the last five minutes or so. Somebody said it yesterday when I was talking about this game. Look, I know Austin P won their conference last year. Like I know Austin P was nine and three. I don't care. And if you know, and like I understand that if you're Jeff Bram, you're probably telling your guys these that these this team was successful last year and they bring back some play. I get it, But like, you can't claim that you think Louisville football is remotely decent if you look at this game and feel like you know we we I mean again, by the way, biggest lie you ever hear as when it comes to sports and fans about overlooking an opponent. Remember last year when everybody was told, well, you got hey, Notre Dame's coming up, we got in C State here, can't overlook them, Yeah we can. We don't play, We will have no impact in the game. We can overlook. We can overlook By two years, I could start talking about, you know, when Louisville plays A and M in a non conference game like five years from now, it won't matter because I don't play.
Speaker 2: I'm not on the team. I mean, am I wrong?
Speaker 1: John?
Speaker 4: Is that not one of the biggest lie? Like the You've heard fans say that, right, Like we can't overlook them, Yes you can, you don't play, you have no impact.
Speaker 3: I've been guilty of it. I think learning from you, I know that it's not as big of a deal. But yes, that is something that fans are guilty of doing.
Speaker 4: I remember that last year vividly because a lot of people got pissed off that I was doing that, and I'm like, you are you are the other ones that need help, Like what do you what do you mean?
Speaker 2: We can't overlook it? Yes we can. We don't matter, we don't play now.
Speaker 4: I guess the argument could be if if nothing, if the talking heads and the fans are just talking about a game ahead of time and not the one that's coming up, because they don't they don't fear that opponent. Well, that's a coaching problem, that's a player problem, that's none to do with us. So anyways, Austin p that's your opponent on Saturday, and they're going to get the beat down. I haven't mentioned this just yet, but I've got double duty this year. I'll be doing both pregame and postgame for US here at Sports Talk seven ninety for Louisville Football. So an hour before each kickoff, we'll go live right here leading up to you know, kickoff, and then as soon as the game ends, as soon as the buzzer sounds.
Speaker 2: As they say. Do they say that to make that up? I don't know. That might be a basketball So yeah, I think you're right. What does sound? Nothing really sounds in football.
Speaker 4: When the clock hit zero, let's roll with that. We will have the Pella Windows indoors of Central Kentucky as well as Jefferson Animal Hospital. Those are our sponsors for our coverage here for Louisville football. So again, eleven o'clock this Saturday, and then whenever it ends on Saturday afternoon, we'll go live reacting to whatever it is. We're loaded today, and I mean it, we're loaded. I watched The Condors Stallion's documentary, and if I wasn't somebody who's a nerd for great cinematography, great documentaries, just I'm a nerd for that stuff. If I wasn't that, I'd be pissed off for wasting my time. And we'll get into it, and yes, there may be spoilers, but I don't really think you could spoil anything because that's they didn't unveil anything juicy. Also, I've decided Andy Katz is officially banned from the city of Louisville. And I'm not playing around Andy Kats.
Speaker 2: I know the mayor.
Speaker 4: It's documented we WERU on Netflix together, buddy, So try to come to Louisville, you'll be asked to leave right away. Speaking of Louisville, a Louisville native who happens to be the number one player on the planet in the class of twenty twenty six, Tyran Stokes. He has scheduled his first official visit and it'll be home to Louisville. And this kid is so special. This kid has a chance to be one of the best players.
Speaker 2: I mean, if you.
Speaker 4: Watch his highlights, you talk to those who have seen him play against the best competition in the country, not only for his age, but kids that are older, kids that are probably going to be playing college this year. This guy's got a chance to be one of the best ever. Now again, he's sixteen, so therefore that we are getting ahead of ourselves. But I don't even like thinking about this kid's recruitment because this would be insane. And he's from Louisville. He's going to have a chance to, you know, go wherever he wants, do whatever he wants. But his first official visit is going to be to Louisville. And that's not just because you know he happens to be from Louisville and his family. Still here's that's I mean, that's a factor clearly. But also this staff and you know the nil folks out there that help Louisville five h two circle those guys like they know what time it is when it comes to getting a kid like this. Didn't talk about it yesterday, but Yukon to the Big twelve.
Speaker 2: I hate it.
Speaker 4: I hate it for Yukon. And what really makes it stupid, and I mean really stupid, is this Yukon to the Big twelve in all sports but football until twenty something? What why why would you go to the Big twelve if you the only reason you would ever go to the Big twelve is because you're trying to save your football program?
Speaker 2: Like what are we doing here? Insane?
Speaker 4: Also, we got another candid coaches piece from CBS Sports and I like this question. And I'll give a tip of the cap to the one, the only, John Caliperi for throwing it out there, I guess, you know, in an interview or something like that. And that led to Gary Parrish Matt Norlander reaching out and asking a bunch of college basketball coaches their thoughts on it, and I actually don't give me any reaction of this, John, because I want to save it. But the question was if a kid stays all four years at the same school, should they be granted a fifth year of eligibility? Interesting question, The results might surprise you. So again we're loaded today a minute when I said it, stick with us, We'll take you up. We will take you up till six o'clock. Right here, it's Coffee and Company Feielbut Thornton's on Sports Talk seven to ninety Who.
Speaker 2: Is this glass animal? Any reason for this song? It's called heat Waves.
Speaker 4: Okay, I knew there was there had to be I knew there had to be something. I knew there had to be something. Right, it's Coffee and Company fuel by Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety nit coffee with you and the company man himself, mister John Alden, is with me, which means we're all together, hence the name again Coffee and Company. You guys are the company, so you know, but we treat you like you know, you're at home. This is your place too, so you know, make yourself comfortable and stick with us for the next two and a half hours. All right, let's go to the text line five h two six five three zero seven ninety. It's the Ellen n Federal Credit Union text line. Members get more at Ellen and Federal Credit Union. You can learn what open your account today at LNFCU dot com. This's Texas Nick. I'm with you when it comes to not knowing if we should feel disrespected as Louisville fans with how the team is being talked about nationally, but them not even mentioning Louisville while six other schools were mentioned during game day certainly seems like disrespect to Jeff Brahm in the program.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I didn't.
Speaker 4: I heard about I had game Day on Game Day is one of those things that I just have on, but I'm not really locked in. Just it's just, you know, it's kind of what that show is. That's not to say it's not good. It's just, you know, I'm not gonna sit down and you know, really lock in and watch it. I mean, there's some good stuff there, and those guys do a good job for the most part. I don't that's not even me saying I think it's a bad show. It's just not you know, I don't really make it a priority to listen to all the analysis. In fact, the best part of that show is when they give picks, and it's just to see sort of what every one of them is going to go with and you can make fun of them if they get it wrong and doubted your team and all that kind of stuff, which, by the way, the stuff I did here on Saturday, Nick Saban's going to be a great addition to game day. I mean, I don't need to tell you he knows a lot about football, but he's made a pretty seemingly smooth transition from sideline to the broadcast side of things. And he did, in fact mention Louisville by the way, So I think two things. One, there's a little bit of you know, manufacturing disrespect that always seems to take place with fans, not just Louisville fans, But you know, you want to find it. You want to find somebody that's not giving your team the love that you think they deserve because you have the belief that your team will prove them wrong when they get a chance. So you know, full context, they were just throwing out names about who could potentially contend for the acc and it did take them all the way for everybody, everybody talked and then saving just through Louisville out there. So yeah, I mean for Louisville not to come to mind for some of those guys could have been, you know, a brain fart, or could be that they are not high on Louisville. I don't really know, but there's a difference in kind of being ignored and that This is kind of the piece I made with it because I kept going back and forth, like its Louisville being disrespected or am I just so excited and I have such belief in Brahm and this team that I am full Homer here and just you know, understanding the fair view that others have right like AP voters voting them right outside the top two twenty five, they were the twenty sixteen. When it comes to receiving votes in the AP pole like that, that's legit, that's not anybody that's a hater. But I feel they're better than that. So you know, every now and then I would think, like, man, they're not giving Louisville love. The hell's up with that. But there's a difference in that then like being disrespected. Nobody's out there claiming Louisville's going to stink this year. I'm not hurt anybody say that. I mean Louisville, I mean Kentucky fans probably are going to say that, maybe other ACC fans. So it's not that they're being disrespected, but you could certainly make the case that they're not. They're not getting any I know I said this at one point something along the lines of this.
Speaker 2: Which is.
Speaker 4: If you look at Louisville and realize that even though they had a ten win season last year because of the schedule setting up rather nicely for them. Although the more I look back on that, I mean, they look their schedule wasn't Their schedule wasn't. It didn't feature one of the best teams in the ACC, at least not when they played. But if you go back and look at louisville schedule in twenty twenty three, I'm not going to sit here and claim they played the toughest schedule in the country, but they every FBS team they played was from the Power five level. They didn't play at G five, and there's some games that they played early on that looked like you know, like for example, Georgia Tech finished fourth in the league. Louisll beat him last year. And by the way, George Tech beat three ranked teams last year at the time they played, you know, Boston College, they beat them fifty six twenty eight, and Boston College wasn't good. But you know what, they went to a bowl game and beat SMU, who you know, people think is legitimately going to come in and compete in this league, at least until I saw him play. N C State is getting way more love than Louisville. Lois beat them last year in Raleigh beat.
Speaker 2: Notre Dame Pittsburgh.
Speaker 4: Loss was big, yikes, Duke Duke just kind of fell apart, but Duke was ranked when they beat him. Elko was good enough to go get Texas Tech, Tech Tech the t Texas A and m Job thedep Virginia Tech thirty four to three of Virginia Tech team that's also getting a lot of love this offseason, and in the Virginia Tech team the last year, I'm pretty sure finished third in the league if.
Speaker 2: I'm not mistaken.
Speaker 4: And then you know, Miami, that was a win, but you know, I think you got sort of in real time with that win was actually worth as far as value and credit. So again that's not to say they played some crazy awesome schedule, but you know, it wasn't as if they were ten and four because they played in a G five conference or an FCS conference or you know, an independent an independent program that schedules a bunch of patsies. So you know, going back to my original point, ten wins ACC championship game appearance, usually you would just walk into a preseason ranking, and if they were way outside the top twenty five, I could have had a little bit more of a grid. But they were right there. They were just right there. Which, by the way, I didn't even think about this yesterday. Had LIU had had they done an AP vote after the UH, had they done an AP vote after the week zero games, Louis would have been ranked, There's no doubt because Florida State, I mean, there would have been enough shake up. Well I guess maybe not, because again, you only have such a small amount of teams you can actually assess, and the only ranked team that played was Florida State. So maybe I'm wrong there, But in fact, Georgia Tech would have probably jumped in ahead of you, and maybe you would have. Actually, it makes total sense why they wouldn't do that, because who would you take out of the top twenty five to put Georgia Tech in because nobody played, you know what I mean? So yeah, I guess it makes sense to not do an updated poll when not only do you have just such a few games, but like it's just not fair considering like not everybody played. And I guess that happens on bye weeks. But that's that's you know, I'm talking about a small I mean, rarely do you have. I mean, I don't the average amount of teams each week in college football that are on a buye.
Speaker 2: I mean there's not that many.
Speaker 4: Or back to the text line five O two six five three zero seven ninety you also, by the way, phone lines are open if you guys want to give us called five O two five seven one seventy nine hundred if you want to give us a ring. This text says, nick, I have a buddy of mine who's a big time UK fan, a season ticket holder. Do you know that UK is now allowing season ticket holders to make a donation to one of their collectives and have that count as their annual donation uh in order to be able to purchase season tickets. Uh, I think I heard something. I think I heard something on KSR about that the other day, Matt mentioning that and kind of acting as if that's a you know, that's a you know, that's a big deal and that I mean, if you think of it. And I don't know how much you have to donate. But like for Louisville, I think it's called it used to be called the Cardinal Athletic Fund. That is, yeah, it still is, by the way, I thought maybe they'd renamed it. But the Cardinal Athletic Fund is is, you know, a fundraising group that works for the University of looisal athletics. And you know, as you know, fundraising has always been really important. It's been different in recent years because now you have, you know, fundraising that's needed for players' money. When it comes to nil AM that has nothing to do with you know them, like they can't do that. In fact, for those who don't know a lot of the guy, well I shouldn't say a lot because I think they have a pretty small crew. But Dan Furman, who is the president of the five oh two Circle, he used to work for the Cardinal Athletic Fund, so he made that shift over and you know, now you have two big, big needs when it comes to raising money. You have the nil side and then you have again the athletic department side. So in order to be a season ticket holder, you have to make a donation. And I will say as somebody who's never had season tickets, because I've never you know, I've been fortunate to get a credential. And also, you know, when I was growing up, we couldn't afford season tickets. So with all that said, if you could take that donation, which I believe is you know, a few thousand dollars and donate that to the five oh two circle, and yet that that counts to where you like, that's like, even though the Cardinal Athletic Fund's not getting it, your collective is getting it. They'll still honor that as your donation for you to get season tickets. That is I mean, I'm surprised that UK did that, but it's awesome for them to do that, and I think Louisville should do it if they can. Again, I won't pretend to know the you know, if that would be something they could financially do, and it'd be you know, because you have to keep in mind the Cardonal Athletic Fund as far as raising money for the athletic department, A lot of that money being raised is gonna be in the future going to players because you know, you gotta pay players now, and I l will still exist maybe in a smaller, a smaller you know way, But it also wouldn't shock me as if, like, you know, you're getting your base pay, but like you know, your endorsement or not. I mean, I guess in al's not really an endorsement. Sometimes they parade it around as that if it is like that you put this kid on a billboard because you think he's gonna sell you cars. But overall, like maybe it's just a signing bonus. Right if you transfer in, you're gonna you're gonna walk into this amount of money that the athletic department's paying you because the school now is footing the bill for that. But also here's what you're gonna get for you know, nil through the five V two circle or maybe through an outside company or something like that. So I'm just thinking out loud here when it comes to nil, you know, you got to like for example, Cooper Flag, he signed a huge deal with New Balance, And we can get into that later, because I really think it's and I'm a nerd for this, and I know a lot of people don't care, but Cooper Flag, the hype he has for him to choose New Balance when he easily could have had any deal he wanted really surprising. But then again, he is a white guy. For Maine, maybe the New Balance brand is just it means more up there. I could see New Balance in Maine being being Balance.
Speaker 2: And a six those pro brands up in the North.
Speaker 4: Like if you're thinking of states where New Balance has not only you know a lot of value right now because they are. They're a bigger brand now than they've ever been. But I bet, like before they were big time nationally globally, I bet Maine showed a lot of love the New Balance And maybe that's the connection here for Cooper Flag. But what I'm getting at is, if you've got like for example, Tyron Stokes, a kid were going to talk abo a little bit later on number one player in America in twenty twenty six, he'll have an nil deal making money before he ends up, you know, going to the NBA. But it won't be because they're shifting him to a school. You know what I'm saying, Like he's gonna Cooper Flag didn't sign with New Balance because Duke got him money through New Balance. He could have signed a New Balance and gone and played at Spaulding. So you know, there's there's a good I think you're gonna see Nil not be as big of a thing for guys that don't have that kind of leverage. But again, they're getting that money and it has nothing to do with where they're going to school. Like New Balances, Nike could be different because again Nike has you know, Nike's huge, you know, gazillion dollar company, and they have an owner of that company that happens to be desperate for Oregon to be competitive at the top to where Nike could sign these kids and say, look, if you want this, you come to Oregon now for business. They shouldn't do that because if they really want I mean, if you told Tyrone Stokes or Cooper Flag you only getting the Nike money now if you go to Oregon, you know they might do it. But also that would be foolish because long term, once they get out of school for one year, they're only gonna be in college one year. So once they get to the league. You know, if you don't see the value when those guys are selling sneakers when they have their own deal, because by the way, both those guys could end up having Nike. I mean not only just Nike. Obviously Cooper flags with Do Balance. But like those two guys, it wouldn't be a shocker if down the line they all they each have a signature shoe, all right, So real quick to wrap up that text. I had heard that, and I don't know if other schools are going to do that, but for Kentucky that's that's a good way to not only continue to get your season tickets sales, but also you're helping because again those guy who work together for things to be a okay for programs, meaning your nil collectives and your you know, athletic department fundraising team, they're going to be competing for money. But if you're on the same page and working together, that's where you have a best chance for success. I think, all right, quick break, we'll come back on the other side. Wrap up at three o'clock hour. It's coffee and company. Feel about Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety So some breaking news here for Louisville football. Mari Huggins Bruce will be added to the roster and join the Louisville Cardinals on the practice field this afternoon. So added to the roster, being on the practice field, does that mean he's eligible.
Speaker 2: I don't know if it does.
Speaker 4: Maybe, and maybe this is just the formal way of and by the way, U of L having a spokesman, Roco Gusparro, director of Media Relations, obviously the football sid has been doing this for a long time.
Speaker 2: Does a great job.
Speaker 4: Shout out to Rocco, him speaking, him speaking on behalf, Now I shouldn't say on behalf, but him acknowledging that Marriy Huggins Bruce exists as somebody who is an official spokesman for the University of Louisvill's athletic department. Says that he's been like, he's here, he's cleared, meaning they can talk to him. So I guess I'm just trying to you know, this is unusual. But my guess is that him being here has avoided the portal situation because again, the portal exists so that you can you can get cleared to be contacted and recruited portal was closed when the Marii Huggins Bruce left South Carolina, so you know he couldn't go into the portal. But I don't know, very very very brief statement in an email that came in at three nineteen wide receiver Marriy Huggins Bruce will be added to the roster and joined the Cardinals on the practice field this afternoon. So was that was sent out about twenty minutes ago. And again that's good news, right, you want to add more depth at receiver, especially at a position you just lost a guy. Not to mention, he happens to play the same position that you lost with Colin Lacey. He's not a superstar by any means, but he's experienced, he's produced here at Louisville. He knows Jeff Brahm's offense and systems. So this is good news. But again, what I don't notice does this mean he's eligible? So fingers crossed. And again when I say that, I don't you know, I don't really know. I don't want to act as if this guy's not worthy of people getting excited about. But I just think because of the circumstance here in every way, it's led to their being I think a bigger expectation. So, like, I just wouldn't be shocked if three games in we get a caller into the postgame and Mary Huggins Bruce has caught two passes in three games, people are dogging him and I you know, you shouldn't do that anyway, But nonetheless like that, he's not somebody that like if he never would have transferred and stayed here and Colin Lacy was healthy, I would imagine that he would be a backup. However, if Colin Lacy got injured and Mary Huggins Bruce never left, he probably would have been the guy that emerged right away as a guy that you think, Okay, well, I'm glad we have some depth here. This guy may not be able to produce the way Colin Lacey did at South Alabama, but hey, he's shown and he's capable of making some place for us here, and with a Mario Huggins worse, He's always shown that he has talent and ability. It's just never been consistent. And that's really a lot of the receivers on this roster right now. I think Huggins Bruce coming back. He now joins the mix, although he has proven more than you know, somebody like a guitarist Hicks because Tara six says, you know, he's a retro freshman.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: Same thing with Jayden Thompson, Jane Thompson. He only played at Louisville one year last year, but throughout his career at Cincinnati and at Louisville he's shown flashes but never really put it all together to be a consistent guy. Chris Bell, I don't have the numbers in front of me, but you know, I think every receiver on this roster that is returning to Louisville not a transfer. Those are guys that I you know, I've never heard that they don't like what they have at receiver. I've never heard that they are worried about receiver.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 4: I think when Jamari Thrash got hurt last year, they knew, Okay, these guys really have to emerge and step up as guys that can you know, not be Jamari, but be a little more reliable. Know that, hey, we got to move the ball downfield here. We're gonna need you to get open and make some plays. And those guys, to be honest with you never did that last year. I mean, Louisville had some receiving issues once Jamari Thrash went down. So now's the time for these guys to you know, to prove it and really, you know, emerge as as reliable playmakers. I don't think it's a matter of having bad hands. I don't think it's a matter of skill level. It's just you know, when the lights are on, you can you be a gamer? All right, we got one more. In fact, we have two more hours left. I'm getting ahead of myself here. One hour in the books, two more to go.
Speaker 2: Stick with us.
Speaker 4: We got a lot more to get into in these next two hours. Coffee and Company fueled about Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety