Speaker 1: Baby, I'm a gangster too. It takes at a tangle.
Speaker 2: You don't mess with me, baby, I'm a.
Speaker 1: GANGSTERA touch, baby.
Speaker 2: You're a Gangstato.
Speaker 3: For the warning, this podcast is designed to take you outside of your comfort zone and make you question reality. Listener discretion is a vibe, Fellas.
Speaker 4: This ain't my first time.
Speaker 5: At the rodeos.
Speaker 4: Alright, everyone, you know what it is. I have your favorite guest for movies again tonight. And I'm actually really excited about this one because not only is it a Christmas movie, but this would be what our third Tim Burton movie, our second Tim Burton movie that we've.
Speaker 6: Definitely there seems to be a trend here, say the Tim Burton or it's Johnny Depp. There's a wee correlation going.
Speaker 4: On there because we did the ninth Gate that's correct, Yeah, yeah, okay, yes, but it's Drew. Everybody knows him and loves him. Drew. How are you.
Speaker 6: I'm fantastic, mat doing really really well, great news recently personally.
Speaker 4: So yeah, I was gonna say, you want to share with the class.
Speaker 6: Or no, No, it's certainly out there in the eighth and now my wife and I are expecting our first baby. So we're over the moon about that. We're very exciting.
Speaker 4: And my predictions are a ginger Jedi, So we will see if I'm correct or not. It's gonna come out and it's gonna know so much about movies and have just a bunch of useless trivia about Johnny Depp when it pops out.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's already got that subconsciously planted in. It's Brian both right.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Well, congratulations, I'm so excited for you. I guess we'll be taking a break from podcasting for a while after the baby gets here.
Speaker 6: Huh, Yeah, I dare say so. I've had a bit of a break recently, but starting's caught a few things now, this being one of them. First time back in a little while, so I'm glad that it's back with you, Julia, to ease me back in.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and of course we're gonna bring the fires. Since it's been a while since you've been on a show. I'm sure you have like a bunch of pent up conspiracy angst that you need to release. But we are actually going to cover Edward Scissorhands tonight. Definitely one of my favorites. I do think it's a Christmas movie because it takes place around Christmas, and you know, it's got like the whole snowy whatever at the end. But maybe I'm wrong, Maybe it's a Halloween movie. I don't know. I guess it's like my wife.
Speaker 6: Yeah, my wife adamantly argued it wasn't a Christmas movie last night, and she deliberately showed me the timestamp in which we first see Christmas. But I agree, if it has at least a bare minimum a scene of Christmas in it, it's fine. Christmas set in North America. It's a Christmas This is not I get it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like Gremlins and die Hard, those are the ones that everybody argues about, but they are Christmas movies.
Speaker 6: So take count.
Speaker 4: Well, how do you want to get started? You want to talk a little bit about the movie? You want to jump right into like a synopsis in the names. How you want to do this?
Speaker 6: I think we should talk about the context of the film itself. Okay, this jumped off the screen for me just looking at it. Edwards siss Hands takes many cultural and historically significant tale from both relatively modern stories all the way back into the ancient times and combine them in this very new yet very familiar story we get. What we get is we're presented with like a modern day take on Pinocchio. On its first glance, we've got this eccentric man inventor who fashions himself a son from an nanimate object, ticks a box. It's very similar to Pinocchio. Yet we also get the darker side of Mary Shelley's Frankenstein. We have this creature, this man, this monculi which is being crafted, who suddenly falls in love with our leading lady, Kim played by Bonona Ryder, and he has this sick obsession with her, and he has this almost romantical battle with the opposition, which in this film is the character Jim, who mirrors the character of Gaston. So we see Edwards Sez the Hands as almost the beast and Jim as Gaston in this Yet all of this ties back to an even greater, older story, which is the story of the goal, which is like Hebrew or Aramaic mysticism, this idea of that you can make this humuncular, not quite human, inanimate object and create life from it. And we say that in Jewish mysticism. With these clay monsters, and it's traditionally always clay, but it doesn't necessarily always have to be clay. So we HiT's the story of an anthropomophic creature which is brought to life. And I just find it so amazing that we have this really old story which has been repeated multiple times within recent history, and stories that we've all grown up with Beauty and the Beast, maybe elements of the Grinch. We've got the side of Pinocchio, It's been retold again and again. I think it draws back on this really ancient subconscious and when I mean VI's subconscious, I have to actually go back to one of the biggest actors in this film that has a very minute part, Vincent Price. And for people who out there a horror ficionados would know Vincent Price as being the gentleman, bad guy or villain from many a horror film in his day. But Vincent Price is well known for quoted and saying this. His quote is, I sometimes feel that I'm impersonating the dark unconscious of the whole human race. I know this sounds sick, but I love it, and I think this really connects to the whole premise of the film the dark unconscious of a human race. That's what these stories are about. Every single story, from the modern day hero worship of Marvel and Star Wars to the classical Disney tales, they all harken back to this ancestral genetic memory in this truth, this hidden away story that's deep with in our subconscious, that draws us in. And I think this film really nails it with all those elements.
Speaker 4: Hey, I'm calling.
Speaker 5: This is some huge.
Speaker 2: House, isn't it.
Speaker 7: Hello? Why are you hiding back?
Speaker 4: Bear?
Speaker 7: You don't have to hide from me.
Speaker 5: I'm as harmless as cherry prop. Those are your hands, Those are your hands. I think you should just come home with me. Joyce, I just saw this strange guy driving with peg.
Speaker 6: Did you get a good look at her? Hi scissors?
Speaker 1: Oh? You got there?
Speaker 5: Ed Can This is Edward who's going to live with us?
Speaker 8: Well this must be quite a change for.
Speaker 7: You, right, ed.
Speaker 9: Those things are cool?
Speaker 1: Can I bring?
Speaker 6: Don't tell them? He's a highly imaginative character. It seems clear that his awareness of what we call reality is radically under development.
Speaker 2: Abbit, you take my very breath away.
Speaker 6: Do you have a girlfriend?
Speaker 2: A Is there some special lady in your life more doctors kidd just to scratch the power of satan as an he making feel.
Speaker 1: It all along. I felt in my good there was something wrong with him.
Speaker 5: From Tim Burton comes the most incredible tale of a most unusual character, Edward Scissor Hands.
Speaker 6: Me.
Speaker 9: I can't.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, I agree with you, and I we're gonna go in that direction. So I have a couple backup grand theories for you that you can tell me, you know how stupid they are later. But it's actually some stuff that I found about. Okay. So there's two theories. I'm just gonna give them to you now because I agree with you. But this is what people are saying, right do you? You know how they always try to sneak a little bit of like woke shit in there, or like make stuff about like a race war and like stuff like that. Okay, So I found this theory that Edward Scissor Hands.
Speaker 9: Is about, uh race and how white people versus Okay, So here's the theory.
Speaker 4: Okay. Edward SCISSORHNDS does do a great job of showing a cookie cutter, which is referenced in the film Cookie Cutter Like Pastel Suburbia, where the men work like nine to five jobs and the women are all gossiping and shit like that, but they're actually like really cruel and selfish and like crazy, and they do this virtue signaling and they probably all have their COVID boosters, and fucking the good guy at the end of the movie is the black guy, right, the black cop. And so it's saying like that I read this whole It was like a website dedicated to the theory that the white it's like the white devil versus the good guy at the nbing the one black guy that's in the entire movie, and that the title sequence of Edward Scissorhands is in black and white and it's supposed to be. I don't know, but what do you think about that? Like there's a whole page dedicated to like this race war thing with Edward Scissorhands. I mean, I, yes, I can see it, but not really you know again, I think.
Speaker 6: I think this is almost like the verbs how we say that these types of stories get thrown into these modern day university lecturers courses about cultural studies and racial and equity and these sorts of things. I saw pretty much your exact same theory you just told me, but instead of about being race, it was about being neurodivergent, and that edwards'zans fits the role of someone with Asperger syndrome. That's why it doesn't.
Speaker 4: Feel God, doesn't that remind you of the groups? So that article you found about like, it's the same thing they try to put like they they try to cover it with like some woke shit like, oh no, you guys got it wrong. Edward Scissorhands is about black people versus white people, and that's why the title sequences in Black and White, and the black guy at the end of the movie is the only normal, sane, good person and all the white people are crazy evil and like manipulating him and like da da da. I don't know, it was kind of crazy. But I also read another theory that Edward Scissor Hans, You're not gonna fucking believe this. Edward Scissor Hans is like telling the Christ story, like he was born, he was created by this man, and then he was raised by parents who weren't really his parents, and uh, he's cast it out by his own people, and you know, it was just I mean, I guess I can see it in an aspect of it, and like he's actually innocent and they're all fucking convoluted and crazy and he's like the one that gets said that he's evil and he's cast it out and da da dah. But I don't know, what, what do you think about that one?
Speaker 6: I think it has some premise and if you look at it just on its like it's an initial level on the first scale and he can go down multiple lays. I think it fits. There's aspects of this which I think tie into gnosticism in the early Church, which I'll get into later. But it has, let's say, elements of the Christ and the whole idea of maybe the Trinity, but it's not quite the waits present. And I think I saw the exact same paper or article that you read that makes it very almost modern day Christians attempt at trying to justify watching such a dark film.
Speaker 4: Recky. Yeah, that's kind of how I thought too. I was like, Okay, they're trying to like make Tim Burton be this like kind of like you were saying, gnostic kind of telling this story. But I don't know. There are many layers to the movie. In the story itself and before we dive right into it. You know, I always have some fun facts about the movie. So Tom Cruise, Michael Jackson, Jim Carrey, Tom Hanks, and Robert Downey Junior were up for the part of Edward Scissor Hands. I can only see a couple of those working out. I can see Jim Carrey for sure, maybe Robert Downey Junior, but not fucking Tom Cruise. Cruise, Yeah, short, little fucking.
Speaker 6: Trol running around the mountain.
Speaker 4: Yeah, oh my god. Can you imagine him and the Edward Scissor Hands get up like.
Speaker 6: Little kid hands because that'd be too small.
Speaker 4: Scars because he looks like a toddler.
Speaker 6: But this is the first film that Johnny Depp and Burton worked on together, Terry, where they initially struck up their friendship.
Speaker 4: Colby says Tom Cruise decided he didn't want the role because it wasn't a pretty role. Quote.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he's a pretty face boy, isn't he.
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, and he would he would have never had all those fucking scars on it his face and ship, I.
Speaker 6: Don't know, don't even have a symmetrical face. How can he talk his tooths like off to the side, I know, right, But.
Speaker 4: So Edward Scissor Hands was also supposed to be a musical, kind of like uh Sweeney Todd, which is also Johnny Depp. But I can't see it being a musical. I think that would have ruined it. I don't really good for that reason.
Speaker 6: I can say, maybe you can see the elements or the prey curses to night Mare before Christmas. It's very burnesque, you could say it. With a few of them swakes and changes, it very well could have been a musical.
Speaker 4: But I'm glad to but yeah, yeah, you're right actually there, and you know, I'm sure they would have come up with some great fucking songs, but I'm glad that it didn't happen. If I'm just being honest, I actually think the I think it's the song they use at the very end and the very beginning of the movie. It's kind of like anytime I hear it, I know exactly where it's from. Actually, I think it came on like a podcast or something that we were listening to the other day and I was like, oh, it's a song from Edward Scissor Cans. But that's because it's elfman and like everything he does is really epic. Like that, like Beetlejuice, and you know all of Tim Burton's movies have that epic sound. But another fun fact is that, and I was actually talking to Colby about this and I found the story on it. The character Edward scissorhands like his personality was based on a dog. And I guess Johnny Depp was like struggling to find like the tone for Edward Scissor cans, like how he was supposed to be acting, and he thought of this dog and he nailed it after that. And when you watch it, and if you keep that in mind, you can see there are elements to his reactions that are like a dog, like with the big eyes and kind of scared and like timid. And I thought that was adorable.
Speaker 6: He didn't attack a vacuum clean I said, maybe that was a deleted scene. Well, I've got a dig you know fact for you, and this is a Tim Burton one, So I hope I'm not stepping on your dicky, Julia, but step by the idea for the movie was inspired by drawings that Tim Burton made when he was a teenager. So the drawing depicted was a thin Solomon man with long, sharp blades of fingers, and he's quoted as saying, since I like to draw, since I was younger, oftentimes images would just pop up into my head and they'd stay there, and I keep drawing them and drawing them. This was a character I sketched back then when I was a child. He explains the character was represented to him why as a teenager that would pop into his head from time to time with not knowing any reason why. He likened growing up in suburbia to being a Frankenstein movie with suburbanites acting as angeren villagers to his different outlook on the world. So this sounds like direct download stuff. And you've kind of mentioned these kind of weird, creepy unknowns around Tim Burton. But if he's a young kid getting this topic imagery popped into his head, either his parents were very strange people or there's something going on there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and you know what, Okay, so that'll bring me kind of into my next fun fact. Would you might have come across this too, But I thought it was really interesting because the inventor's castle is in the movie is based on the California Institute of the Arts, like that was Tim Burton's choice right, and the school sits on a hill overlooking suburban neighborhoods of Santa Clarita, California. But guess who one of the fucking founders of uh, the California Arts Institute is.
Speaker 6: H guess I'm gonna throw a wild guess at there, based on some of my theories on this one. Is it a prominent Mormon.
Speaker 4: It's actually Walt fucking Disney. And Okay, so there were a bunch of catastrophes that happened while they were trying to build the institute, and Walt Disney actually got his brothers involved in it and eventually went on to fire people off the board of trustees and replaced them with his family members, and the assistant program director for the Arts and Humanities of the Rockefeller Foundation was appointed the president of the institute. And of course Tim Burton went there and worked for a short time for Walt Disney and and like most of the animators for Cartoon Network and of course the Disney Channel came from this institute. But the castle in Edward Scissorhands is based on that institute. So I mean, I thought that was hella interesting in and of itself, because I'm pretty sure he got fired from Disney.
Speaker 6: To the Garden often.
Speaker 4: But yeah, and so it's like if we're going with like the Christ story and he and he created this guy in the fucking Walt Disney Castle, and I don't know, it's just, you know, its weird and occulty.
Speaker 6: There's just too much of it to exist for your average film or arts university student. It doesn't make sense that they've got all this esoteric knowledge unless they've been read into it.
Speaker 4: And did you see the castle? It was like demonic gargoyles and demons statues, and like it's base He's start in the California Arts Institute. Like that says a lot in and of itself, if that's the inspiration he got from it, you know.
Speaker 6: Which is very ironical with one of the statues that I'm going to tie into my theory later on, very prominent statue. Would you like me to go through the synopsis and then get into some of that name.
Speaker 4: Magic, Yes, absolutely, okay.
Speaker 6: Edward Scissorhands is the nineteen ninety fancy melodrama written and directed by Tim Burton. Is a modern day fairy tale which tells the story of Edward, a man created by an eccentric inventor who died before finishing him. Edward has left incomplete with sisters where his hands should be. One day, when a local Avon lady, a representative named Peg calls it the historic mansion where he's been living alone, she takes him home to stay with her family. He has to adapt to a new life and environment that he isn't used to. Soon, he shows his talent and cutting hair and hedges and wins everybody's hearts. But life isn't always so sweet. At first, everyone welcomes him too the commune, but soon things begin to take change for the worse.
Speaker 4: Dun Dun, Dunn, Dunn.
Speaker 5: And the uh.
Speaker 4: Opening title sequence is black and white. I think there's some clues in the title sequence that we can get into later, but first I want to hear about the names.
Speaker 6: Okay, Edward isn't given a surname in this It's just scissor hands, so just take that for what you will. Edward is derived from the Old English words ade, meaning fortune, and ward meaning guard. Edward directly translates to a wealthy guard. Edward is the moncular creation of a wealthy inventor. He has guarded the mansion for an unknown amount of time. As he moves into the town, he distances hisself from protecting the physical mansion to his new love interest of which he's infatuated with, that being Kim Kim Boggs. Kim derives from Kimberly, which comes from the kind meaning royal or chief, and berg meaning field or fortress, whereas Boggs is Middle English for boastful or haughty, which means proud, vain, or arrogant. Kim betrays the role of the beautiful love interest. She embodies the archetype of the princess of the town, popular among popular, among all the people, beautiful and gains their attention. She plays into her vanity at the beginning of the story her pride and slowly overtime transitions. Peg, who's the mother of Kim. Peg is a feminine name of Greek origin, meaning pearl. She is unique in her town. She generally cares about Edward taking this very strange man into a home as part of her family, whereas the other women gossip and scandalize his arrival. She's a true pearl amongst the suburban wives. And the last interesting name came across was Jim, who's our Gaston type figure in this film Hebrew in origin meaning he may will shall follow he sees by the heel WatchGuard protect essentially means the supplant or the assailant. May God protect, may he protect. Jim fits the archetype role of the man in conflict with Edward as Kim's attentions that wanders to him when his emotional relationship breaks down with Kim, he takes on the physical by attempting to seize and protect Kim from Edward, attempting to supplant Edward acting as his assailant. So we've got this kind of dynamic, this love triangle going on. Whereas the same time, we've got the mother who's the only real genuine person in the suburban sprawl where the cookie cutter approaches to people. She seems to be breaking the mold. She's the avon lady, trying to do things for herself. She's got a job, the other women a stay at home. She cares for Edward, brings him into the town. But I find it very interesting that she's the avon lady. Avon being pharmaceuticals beauty, that is one of the magics that was taught to mankind by the fallen angels. And when you look at the word avon in early Hebrew and Greek translations, it means iniquity, seeing immorality.
Speaker 4: Oh shit, that's a good one. I figured there was something to do with the avon. And you know, I got one for you, actually, and I hope you'll be proud of me. But so, do you remember the the lady that well, of course you remember, but the red haired lady that was trying to fuck everybody in the movie. And she initiated the barbecue, and she's Joyce, and she kept mentioning this ambrosious salad and she says it like several times in the way she says of the gods. Yeah, oh my gosh, I googled it right because I was like, there's something about her saying it and the way she's saying it, And so, okay, where did I put it in my notes?
Speaker 6: Hi?
Speaker 10: You all are hadding in there like a bunch of all hermicrab Hi Joyce, huh does the barbecue again? Barbecue where you intend to show your guest hospitality by introducing him to your friends, don't you.
Speaker 1: Will bring the ambrosia salad. My name's Joyce, and I noticed that you have not tasted any of the ambrosia salad that I made especially for you.
Speaker 4: Allow me. Okay. The word ambrosia translates to immortality in Greek, and it's associated with ancient Greek mythology as the food of the gods. And so I guess if we were gonna go the whole Edward Scissorhands is like a biblical type story. She's feeding him the food of the gods and he's supposed to be like a divine figure. I don't know what do you think about that?
Speaker 6: Well, I'm going to hit you up with this and thank you for telling it directly into one of my points. First time we see this woman, Joyce, she's listening to Delilah you know why Why Delilah by Tom Jones, and she's a seductress. Delilah is literally a song written about the woman from Biblical teachings of the Book of Judges, in which she's tasked with finding out the strength of Samson. Yep, she seduces him, finds out his power is derived from his hair, and cuts it off while he's sleeping.
Speaker 4: Oh, so I guess there might be something to that. Then that this could be like I don't even want to say the Christ story, but like it's always like some kind of good versus evil. You know, I don't want versus demons.
Speaker 6: I don't want to jump in it too much. But it foreshadows the scene later on which she tries to seduce Edward, And I think that's going to be the ultimate thing for him, is he's a man in form but he doesn't ultimately engage in the two things a man needs to do in his life, find love and you know, bring it to fruition. He never actually makes the climax. He's well cut off from that source.
Speaker 4: Okay, So if we're to take it as that black leather body suit that he's wearing, he's just got like what stuffing on the inside of it or something. He doesn't have a dick, so I don't even you wouldn't think so, you wouldn't think so.
Speaker 6: I mean, she was still he's got he's got the leather daddy thing going on. Maybe he's got like a twelve inch monster that's like two foot wide or something.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 4: It's a scissor. She wants to scissor with him. Fucking joys, She's so fucking she's a sex predator, she's a.
Speaker 6: Sex pest is she's trying to rape for the uh repentment at the stop.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she's like, you could clean my food trap. But okay, So going back to the title sequence, there are some clues like it shows a gargoyle, it shows the cookies, the cookie cutter, and you know, it shows Edward's hands that he never got the snow, some stuff like that, and the way that they have Edward being so pale and with his black leather on, and the castle versus the town. There is like a lot of black and white symmetry, like it can't be black or white. There is like that nuance of what Edward finds is it can't just be this way or that way. It's all convoluted and this is life. I don't know what did you think of the title sequence.
Speaker 6: I couldn't get past the robotics that were shown in it, like the factory than which the inventor made to create the cookies and the things that he invented. Whatever it was, the assembly line looked very reminiscent of nineteen fifties science fiction. Robots like robot aliens, like invasions, of Earth and all that type of deal, and they were very demonic at the same time. They had weird grills for mouths and bright red eyes, and it's just something about it seemed seemed off. And even the manner in which the assembly line was made, it wasn't simple cogs and levers. It was feats that would push the escalator along, very strange type of almost like Lovecraftian type of work into it had physical, almost human parts to make it work.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and you know, it shows the inventor kind of like what you were saying with the story of Pinocchio, and he wants these machines to like live, and he wants them to be like sentient almost, and that where the idea for Edward comes along. But I do think that there is an aspect of this that is kind of like foreshadowing of our own future, kind of like with synient Ai type beings like Edward, but like less scary obviously, like not with Scissor Hands. But I mean Tim Burton does have a way of kind of like putting a little something like that in the movies, you know, So yeah, it could be like this is the future. It's Edward's able to love and he's innocent and he's kind, and this is, you know, something that could really happen if somebody makes a person in like a fucking lab one day. I don't know. And then there's like the Christian lady who thinks he's the devil. So, I mean, what are your thoughts on all that?
Speaker 6: I thought it interesting that it's he's hands in the first place, and there's a well known saying idle hands make the devil's play things. And what do we see the entire times his hands of we don't know what's happened to his real hands until later in the film. He has these scissors, but he's essentially playing the whole time. He's not really engaging in the world with like you would with scissors. When he's eating, he's not stabbing the food and putting it in his mouth. It's like he doesn't know what to do with them, and they almost have a mind of their own. When he's cutting the hedges or hair or the dogs, it's going wild and it seems like they're controlling him, like that's the last vestige of the robotic and it's taking over the human part of him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and.
Speaker 4: After so when we see the Avon lady and she's gone around nobody wants to buy her shit, right, and she goes up to the castle and that's where she finds Edward. There is like a scene where she's looking around in his room and he has a bunch of like stuff cut out and like peacete it on.
Speaker 6: The wall serial killer board.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and it's like weird stuff. There's a picture of Jesus and mother Mary. Uh, there's like boys or without without eyes or so it's like is he does does he have like human emotions? Obviously he like it never explains how long he's been up there without food and water, but he eats when he's with the family. They do show he has like a little cot made out of straw, so, and then we see him sleeping kinda so it's like they want you to think like he is a person in every way that a person would be a person, except for the scissor hands. But at the same time, it's like what you said, and there's like this other aspect where it's like he's not really driving the car kind of I don't know.
Speaker 6: And with it's very ambiguously it isn't an older style mansion. It looks quite creepy, but we can't quite pinpoint how old it is. It's in disrepair, the roofs caved in on some parts. In comparison to the rest of the town, it's completely out of place. It doesn't even look like it's supposed to be there. So we could surmize that Edward is possibly hundreds of years old and no one knows.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, I would think. And so like that book the inventor was reading him on manners and stuff that just seems like some old school shit like nobody would be doing about the napkin and the fork and stuff.
Speaker 6: It's almost Industrial Revolution style manufacturing that he has as well. And then you look at the town. The town is even quite out of place of the time because characters later I mentioned CD players and vhs. Yet it's very clearly a seventy esque style town.
Speaker 5: What.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So it's almost like a dream state where you can't figure out what time you're in. I don't know if you ever watched the horror movie it follows, but they were doing that in that movie as well. They included aspects of like futuristic technology with like old old technology, so you couldn't figure out like what time it was in. And that's how Edward Scissorhands is because it's very mid century modern in all of the homes with the shag carpets and the wardrobe, the makeup, the avon calling, but Edward seems to be much older. And even when at the I guess we skipped a part where Whenona writer's an old lady and she's reading or she's telling this story to her granddaughter, I can't tell what the fuck time that's supposed to be, and it looks the same to me. It looks like it's still in the seventies or something.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it almost looks older in certain aspects. Burton has this way of creating his physical spaces in live action that look still quite cartoony, and we saw that in the opening sequence in the black and white. But then again when we had Edward being found for the first time, the building just looked like it was a scale model that they've super imposed them in. And then then that flashback sequence or the flash forward where when I'm a ride as the old lady telling the story, the wolves look cartoonishly, like they put down with wallpaper. But it's very cartoon Yeah, it just seemed out of place, almost like it's a dream sequence or something that's not real.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I agree, And I when Colby and I did an episode on Beetlejuice, I mentioned Edward Scissorhands in that episode because I said, one of the things I love the most about Edward Scissor Hands is the colors, and they like vibrate off the screen, all of the pastels and even the wardrobe everything it's like bursting with color, which I love, and the lady with the ambrosia salad and all of that. But I do think that Edward is supposed to be like in contrast to all of the color and whatever, and they take him in, they try to give him a wardrobe, put suspenders on him and shit and make him like regular and normal. And one of the things that I saw with the whole Christ theory about Edward Scissorhands is everyone is so worried about their perception. Their lawns are perfectly manicured. They're perfectly manicured with their hair, makeup, everything, and they're trying to do that to Edward. And even Peg, the mom who's supposed to be the big sweetheart in the movie, even she if you really think about it. Was only worried about the outward perception because instead of of wanting to fix the reason he's cutting his face up all the time, she wants to fix the scars. She wants him to look nice and like look normal. So she's like trying all this stuff on his face to like fix the scars.
Speaker 5: The light concealing cream goes on first, then you blend and blend and blend. Blending is a secret. Mm hm, more concealing cream. Your complexion is so fair. Now this has a touch of lavender in it. Give it a try here, close enough, Okay, this should do the trick here. Hmm.
Speaker 7: I have another idea. We'll cover up the scars and start with a completely smooth surface, darness stuff.
Speaker 4: And I don't know, like six times during the movies, somebody says like I have a doctor that could help you and maybe fix that for you, and she's like, no, no, no, let me just put this cream on his scars. Like she's only worried about like he needs to look nice and I'll fix these scars on his face, and like, how about somebody fix his fucking hands? How about that?
Speaker 6: She needs some lavender conceal up, but no one even tries to cork the finger blades, like, put some corks on him. He's cut his face up. Old movie like Psychety sayss has come on.
Speaker 4: What's sorks? They're like, oh no, we'll just put some cream on these scars. He could cut the hedges, cut my dog's hair, chop the lettuce.
Speaker 6: You know. They're using him, yeah, and they're using the machine saw of him.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, exactly. They don't see him as a human. Yeah.
Speaker 6: I have to go back to the start in which the mother she Peg goes up. She's ran out of all her options in the town. No one buys her avon stuff, so she tries this time to go up to the mountain. Like you said, it's a stark contrast for the rest of the town. The rest of the town is very bright, it's vibrant, it's got a palette color to it. The mountain's black, dark and stands out. I looked at that, and it kind of reminded me of the mountain the Grinch resides on. And then the same time I'm thinking, wait a minute, where's the subconscious story behind that mountain. I instantly went to Mount Hermon so that the mountain in which the angels descended to on Earth when they were cast out. And what reinforced was when she went into the grounds she saw all these gargoyles and creatures like on the stone work, and the most high statue that she sees of a monster is a braxis the chicken headed snake God.
Speaker 4: No, it's nah, it is.
Speaker 6: So she sees this very gnostic take on things in which you Mormons picked it up as well. It's the a braxis chicken head snake god. If you don't know it, it's described as being the god above all gods, and it's the highest statue in the scene. The Great ARCon is also known as we see it in the mansion, very first thing, which makes me think it's not so much a christ story as it could be a an inversion of that, like a Timus type of a story. So we've got this snake god there, but it's replicated in aspects of the town later on very subtly.
Speaker 4: So, and that like if that hall castle is based off of a Walt Disney thing, the Walt Disney Institute, you might as well call it. That's wild. I didn't even notice that you know. What I did notice though, is one of the hedges was like a likeness monster. Yeah, but that is a great find. I hope I can pause it, like maybe I'll find a clip in the movie and I can pose it on that, because that's a great fucking find. You always look like dog shit when we do these drew.
Speaker 6: Even the hedges were interesting. You points out the luckness monster. But there's a pterodactyl, a t rex. It's all things that were supposed to believe completely mythological or things that existed in the ancient past. And a lot of people would say that dinosaurs never existed in those dragons. Well, you know what with a nephel aim eating if they're breeding animals for you know, base of burden would be something like a good point.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, that's a really good point. I do think though that the t rex. I just said this on another podcast and you probably have come across it yourself, But the little baby arms never made sense, but they're probably part of like what they were saying is like that the bone that they're saying was an arm was actually something that would have connected to a wing. And like all these t rex if they're real skeletons would have probably been dragons and not little baby arm fucking t rex murder chickens. Yeah, yeah, yeah that it was a hell of a fine though, for real. And so I guess that also goes with like the ambrosia salad and like all that stuff that's kind of linking back to this idea. Well, what do we go to next then, I mean he gets back to the house and stuff.
Speaker 6: We always have to go through his We almost have to go through his reactions of coming into the town.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I was gonna say, everybody's like curious about him.
Speaker 6: And now looking back after you mentioned that he modeled the reactions off like the behavior of a dog. It makes sense because he's just like looking and pointing at things, and he just seems you think it's almost over excitement because he hasn't left the mansion. But then typical dog reactions. Anyone who's taken a dog in a car that's not tied down, it's jumping all over the place in the back seat, it's going from window to window car. So he's going through the town and this is where we get to see that the full layout of and it's just this town almost like the coldest sac in particular, is one set of streets. All the houses are identical, they're just painted differently. Every second house has the same car, but it's a different color. It's almost as if, I think, in a film aspect, they're trying to show that this is an extreme version of suburbia where everyone tries to fit in. They're keeping up the Joneses approach. Everyone fits in to get along. I think it has a deeper story to what the cookie cutter approach actually is in this and we see it in some sacred geometry that every single house includes on their garage doors. What all right, I'm gonna have to go to it now? What's going to save it for the end? But the sacred geometry that you see straight away each house has a series of rhombus or parallelograms on each door right of the garage. The rhombus or lozenge diamond kite shape consists of two triangles, one downward the ying and one upward the yang, joined together. The geometric symbol represents the inner focus that of a human being needs to hold onto his life and task during his time on earth. That task was and remains to this very day to reinstall balance within self, the ying and the yang energy aspects that make up every human being and reflect the inner balance into the outer world. The rhombus of the diamond shame. It represents humans work on Earth and the achievements of their daily lives. What they all do. They all leave at the same time, they're all getting cards, All the wives stay home, all the husbands go off to work, and it looks like they all work at the same place.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, that's mk Ultra, I swear it is. There is actually a movie that they do the same thing. And oh god, I'm forgetting the name of it. It's like it's like Stepford Wives but not. And it's like the husband's go to work and the wives are all like crazy and shit. And I mean, you see an aspect of that in Edward Scissorhands, because all the wives are fucking cuckoo for cocoa buffs. But that is a great fucking catch. That is a great catch.
Speaker 6: And so this I have to go into it now because we'll just be lost in it if we go start going through the story. The entire town is a massive produced carbon copy of itself. It looks individual until you look closer. Each house the same, painted differently, as are the cars on its surface. The intention pine this was to emphasize the suburban mundane, the normality and extreme polar opposite, and the uniqueness of Edward and the mansion. The cars include a seventy seven Pacer Wagon, a seventy eight Forward Want, a seventy four Forward Galaxy. All these cars are from seventies eer. So this is what really throws a spanner in the works for dating and timing this film. But it does use a very very good psychological and art teach technique called liminal Spacey familiar with that at all?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 6: So liminal space, for listeners is the uncertain transition between where you've been and where you're going physically, emotionally, and metaphorically. To be in liminal space means to be one of the principles on the precipice of something new but not quite there yet. The world is liminal comes from the word Latin, which means lemen, which means threshold. We're going from the very dark, the black intoliminal space. We're stepping out into a new threshold, and they feel oddly familiar, nostalgic, which reflects memories of our own lives, hence the heavily use of nineteen seventies design. And keep in mind, this is the nineties film, so the majority of people who were our age back then watching it would have grown up in the seventies, so they would have had that nostalgic hook straight.
Speaker 4: Away, even like the wall decor everything he nailed it and the beauty salon and all of it. But it's almost very like they're stuck in the matrix kind of And the talk show that he goes on was very like very seventies.
Speaker 6: Yeah, the cameras look like that was straight off the nineteen seventies, like sound lot mm hmmm hmm.
Speaker 4: And I do think, well, I guess I shouldn't get ahead of us, But there is a aspect to the taking him on a talk show in itself that's kind of like there's something to it. But yeah, that was a great cat, a great find because they are in like a matrixy like is this even really real kind of thing, and they're building a house close to PEG's house, and they have like a circus tent thing covering.
Speaker 6: Is a fumigation tent, like they're guessing something inside you think that's what it is. Yeah, I think it's a humigation tent.
Speaker 4: Are you sure like a dead body was in there and they're fumigating it.
Speaker 6: Or is it like like bugs, like cockroaches or something they're fumigating the house?
Speaker 4: Really, I thought that was like a like they put like a tent over it because they weren't done building it or something. I was like, the fuck is that fucking circus fucking tent? Have you?
Speaker 6: Have you seen Joe Dirt where he goes into the fumigated house and gets high on the bug spray and his naked eating popcorn deepstick on like mittons and things. It's the same one.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, Well, I guess that's weird. It was right down the street from Edward's houses. Like, oh, we kicked them out of the neighborhood, we killed them, and now we're fumigating the house.
Speaker 6: Well they're humigating what they're still in there because they're not following the status quo.
Speaker 4: But no, Yeah, So there is a scene after Edward gets into the house, like he at all the family pictures and then he goes into Kim's room and on her mirror. It's interesting because she's done the exact same thing Edward has done, and she's like cut shit out and like pasted it onto her mirror. And there's like four or five sets of eyes and like one eye, and then there's like weird gemstones that she's cut out. Tell me you saw that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's very occultic, almost like the cool hip teenages today that are cutting out anything Illuminati and sticking it to like the katak ices or their laptops. Uh huh uh huh.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but for the seventies, if that's what time we're in, because we're not sure, but I don't know if they were doing that back then or not. But she had just eyes cut out, not a whole body, not like a face, It was just the eyes, and in a couple occasions it was just one eye. And then she had like like turquoise stones and like sit like not stage jade stones and like amethyst and ruby like necklaces cut out, and she pasted that on her mirror too, And I thought that was interesting because it zoomed in on her mirror, Edward looking into it for a good like I want to say, maybe like twenty seconds, which is a pretty decent amount of time for you to be able to look and see what's on the mirror like they wanted you to see it.
Speaker 6: And eyes are usually the window to the soul as well. And it's funny that he's a reflective surface to put that onto it, like she's staring into an iron soul every time she's looking through that mirror that's adorned with all that occultic stuff.
Speaker 4: Yes, and I also thought it was so little foreshadowing because it appears to be that Kim collects snow globes.
Speaker 6: And she's like a show. Is the big part of the whole story, Like at the very start, the whole story that the grandmother is telling is where a star came from in the town it ever snowed until that, not that she's telling.
Speaker 4: Me it's weird for me and tell me to fuck off if this is too far, but if we want to really take it to like an esoteric place with this snow globe, shit, you know, that's what I feel like we live on is a snow globe like a flat plane with like a dome over it. And so I don't know, I just saw little things here and there. The main things like with her cutting out eyes and then the Walt Disney thing and then the snow globes and stuff. I was like, I don't know, there could be something to this that it goes beyond just like a dude with scissor hands.
Speaker 6: It could be. They always talk about the and you and mentions it later on where all the kids disappeared to you, Like you see the suburban housewives and the husband's very robodic go about their business and cookie cutter approaches of each other, yet their kids aren't seen. Except for the initial Bogs family, the rest of the teenage kids in the town just so happened to be off in the mountains. But every single shot of this face it's a flat plane with the mountain in the middle. There's no surrounding mountains anywhere. You can't even see fields. It's this weird little isolated almost like subworld, Like it's a simulation.
Speaker 4: Matrix snail globe. I'm telling you, I think there's something to it, but I mean I could be grasping. I don't know.
Speaker 6: But are you ready for what was seen in the in the lound room, oh, the living room. So as he walks into the lound room, you'll see it in multiple shots throughout the film. There's three chicken headed snake sculptures up on the wall.
Speaker 4: You are fucking with me.
Speaker 6: They are supposedly meant to be pheasants, but the tail, it's definitely a chickenhead, some wings, and then the pheasant so called tail comes down in a very serpentine pattern like the tail faces.
Speaker 4: Then it's night clubs, so it just keeps popping its Yeah, chicken head up. My god, I never fucking noticed that. But that's that's again like when you go back and you especially with the Burbs. I noticed because I had watched that movie a thousand fucking times, and I when you look at it like trying to find stuff, and you see what's really there, you're like, god, damn, Like I have watched this movie so many times, and I never fucking noticed that. It's the same thing here. I can't believe that shit, Drew, And fuck you for finding that, because that's that's a really good one, all right on the bank, all right, So did you see anything between him like getting dressed and like her checking her voicemail or something, or she makes some calls, lets people know Edward is there, and then like I think, they all come running over to the house. Did you catch anything, like just just.
Speaker 6: The comedy of the film that this guy clearly has dangerous objects for hands, and they just think he can do everyday things without assisting him. Like I remember some pants and a shirt on, and he's trying to pull the pants up by the belt straps and he'swittler and he's going down to the ground and perfect physical comedy by Johnny's Depp on this. And he has the awkward rolldown hat. But somehow he doesn't cut the clothes except for the suspenders.
Speaker 4: Later on, he doesn't think pat the belt loops. Ye, nothing like that. Yeah, But he gets and wispinders and.
Speaker 6: They have this whole barbecue for him, like these chatterbox mother's club meetings that are going on in the corner of the street. When they're gossiping about Edward and Peg. They confronts Joice, confronts her and says, aren't you going to throw a barbecue for your new house guests so they can meet the neighborhood blah blah blah. They all show up, and the only people that actually ever try to feed him those gossiping women which are infatuated with him.
Speaker 4: Uh huh.
Speaker 6: Peg doesn't do it. PEG's husband doesn't do it, the kids don't do it. Anyone in these actual family air quotes just thinks he can go about it himself. Where the only people that tried to feed him and give him like substance are the people who want something out of him mm hmmmm.
Speaker 4: And they're like, oh, I bet you could do a few things around my house, and they're like shoving food in his mouth. Uh yeah, I feel like the they saw, didn't he Yeah, he trimmed the hedges, and so when everybody came over for the barbecue, they were like, oh, you can come trim my hedges. Wink wink. Fucking They start paying him with like cookies and shit because that they literally see him as like not a person.
Speaker 6: And again he's like a dog. He's performing a trick and they give him a trick.
Speaker 4: Mmmmm, and then he ends up cutting dogs. So it's like full circle moment, you know.
Speaker 6: Fully inception. So we have this neighborhood. He showed up. He's like the bright, new shiny toy. He's so different from the mundane in this town. Everyone comes to see him. The kid talks about wanting to take him to show and tell the same type of thing. The kids want to have him in the school and the whole time, we haven't seen our love interest Kim yet. She's off in the mountains camping. She's supposed to arrive home on the weekend. Edward goes to bed and Kim, the boyfriend and the rest of her friends arrive at night early, and they're trying to sneak into the house, and she sneaks in. He's in the bed, really creepily sitting there. He's knife hands, sitting there watching her. She's getting undressed, and she looks in the mirror and that's when she spots him. That's the funny thing. She's looking in this mirror and if it is almost a portal to seeing your soul, she notices him. Now, is this a connection to I found my soulmate, or is it a connection to I'm not human myself and I'm robotic and I just don't see it.
Speaker 4: Probably more of the second one, because they were actually Johnny Depp and Winona Ryder. I found this out as I was researching. They were dating while they were making this movie, so it was real easy for them to be in love in this movie. But she and her boyfriend, by the way, is the fucking nerd from Breakfast Clubs. So, but he plays a really good bad guy, uh for.
Speaker 6: You know, he got yerked yerked, he was sort of stuff.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I would never expect for him to play like a good bad guy, but he actually did a really good job. But she, she has she ends up like the rest of the people in the town, having him do stuff for her to get and has an absolutely no regard for like what could happen to him whatsoever?
Speaker 1: And all.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like the rest of the people in the town just sees him as like this like object of fulfilling whatever fucking tasks that they need him to do. Cut their hair, trim their dog, you know, trim the hedges.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 4: They don't see him as a person, break into this guy's house still of ecr I mean, but she, I mean, obviously, I'm sure a lot of people already know how the movie ends. But they fall in love. But it's like takes her forever to fucking see him as like an actual person.
Speaker 6: Yes, the whole love tragedy certainly plays out in this film, but it takes her a while to almost wake up to her own entrapment in suburbia, and because she's very much topcast as the preppy queen, this popular and she kind of sees herself that way. That's that pride and arrogance that exists within the whole town. That's why the women gossip so much. It's why the men are so fixated on work, because I have to have money. And you hear it parroted from the father all the time when he's talking about you know, if you found a bag a million dollars, Eddie, would you hand it into the police, give it to your family to buy things for them, hand it back to the person you saw drop it. What would you do? And Edward's like, oh no, give it to my family and buy them nice things. No, Eddie, you do the right thing, the right just thing is handed into the police.
Speaker 4: And it's like, actually, no fucking body on earth would do that. If I found a bag of cash, I'm fucking taking it to the bank. There is no you know. But so there is this part where they're all like chilling in the backyard in the crazy kookie Christian Lady. She starts like blasting scripture at them and says something about like sheep, I can't remember the exact scripture, and Edward's like, but we're not sheep. I think that's like that in particular is like, actually, yeah, all of your whole fucking neighborhood is sheep. Maybe you're not, But like it was kind of like ironic because he's surrounded by sheep. Like I said, they're the type that goes and gets their COVID boosters.
Speaker 6: In this world. It's quite funny because the only two people that stand out in the entire community that different from the rest are Edward and the air quotes crazy Christian lady scripture all the time. She's the most unique person amongst all the sheep, and it's almost like she's a person who took the red pill and woke up from the programming, and she sees Edward for what he is and is trying to almost warn the rest of the town about him because she knows the implications of what he can and cannot do.
Speaker 4: So, Drew, do you think he's evil or do you think he's the good guy? In this story?
Speaker 6: I think it goes down the very gnostic side of things, where it doesn't put things in black and white, it puts it in the air of gray. I think he has the potential for evil, but I think based on it, he's just a different replication of what the townspeople are. I think the townspeople themselves are actually robots and they don't know it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I would. I would intend to agree with that, actually, because so where are we at in the storyline? Because I have a good point to meet, But it comes way later in the movie.
Speaker 6: So we've had the barbecue. He's cut the family hedge to look like the family members. The neighbors have come over after the barbecue, checked it out, and he's starting to develop his rapport with the community. People love him for being the new shiny toy. And he's cutting t rexes and terodactyls and everyone's hedges. Every single house has a tree in the exact same goddamn spot, and he cuts them all into something different and unique. There's no fences in this town that I noticed. There's no fences between the houses, which seems very oddy, except for Edward's house that's the only one that has a yard. Everyone else is connected. They're all watering in the grass, and midway through cutting one of the hedges, he realizes there's a sheep dog there and he starts to cut the dog's hair, which inevitably becomes the new current trend to where he's cutting dog's hair. But again, every single woman in the town has some form of poodle, whether it's a French boodle or a British poodle, yeah, a labradoodle. They're all some kind of hoodle.
Speaker 4: Breed big sheep of doodles and fucking yeah. But except for Joyce. Joyce with the Ambrosia salad has like some little scruny looking dog that he pretty much takes all of its hair off except for like a little.
Speaker 6: Poof and makes it look like a lion.
Speaker 4: Yes, She's like give it.
Speaker 5: Like like me.
Speaker 4: And then he ends up cutting her hair and it's like all sexual like, Like Joyce is the character that sexualizes Edward the entire movie, Like it couldn't have just been a haircut, No, it's gotta be. She's having a freaking orgasm as as he's cutting her hair. It's like, come on, Like.
Speaker 6: She's the personification of Delilah from the Bible. That's the thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was gonna say that goes along with what you were talking about earlier, because she's the one who's like she was the first one that wanted the haircut, just like the Delilah character with the haircut. Obviously it was the other way around in the Bible story. But I mean, she's the sexualization, the temptation, the like, that's her throughout the entire fucking movie. And then at the end, she fucking me choos him because he doesn't have a dick and he has a scissor.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'm just wondering if he's like a kid's like a pencil case at school. He's got scissors for hands. Does he have a glue stick down there or something else?
Speaker 4: Something? But obviously I don't think he has reproductive organs, So like she's trying to a rape on him and shit, and I'm like, I don't think he's got anything to work with. She's that's the funny though, That's like he reaped me.
Speaker 6: He starts to get flashbacks throughout this film, and he sees certain mechanisms like whipping butter or making cream, and it goes back to the assembly line. He's remembering when he was the robot on the assembly line cutting lettuce, and then he's cutting lettuce and he starts to remembers having these flashbacks and one of the flashbacks is the inventor's going through the pages of how he develops him from like the clockwork kind of nineteen fifties robot alien all the way through to the manesque thing. It looks like he has real organs planted inside him. So my question is did this crew to make the organs or did he harvest them from the townspeak.
Speaker 4: Walt Disney man? What if the inventor was supposed to represent Walt Disney and.
Speaker 6: It's across the it's like Walt Disney, do you know what I mean?
Speaker 4: Like he chose him for a reason? Maybe, uh huh, And like that's a good point. If he does have stuff on the inside, where do you get it? And it's like, obviously he died of a heart attack, so nobody really knows what he was up to.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And we say later on when he gives him the hands in one of the later flashbacks, as he has the heart attack and falls forward, he im pales the hands onto Edward's scissors hands and you can see the bones on the inside of the hands that he was going to graft to him. So there's organic.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so I guess maybe he was going to give him a dick for Christmas. I don't know. I don't know.
Speaker 6: He's living a hell. He's probably got one. He can't use it because you know, you got scissors for hands, something you don't want to touch.
Speaker 4: Right, he's gonna John bobbit himself.
Speaker 6: He could probably probably manscape like a champion, but you go any further, he'd become ed Wayne as a handsh And.
Speaker 4: What's crazy, It's like he gives everybody else's haircuts and his hair looks fucking crazy, like it would be so easy for him to give himself a little.
Speaker 6: Trim, but no, he looks like he's the lead singer from the Cure his hands that bad a cure.
Speaker 4: Maybe Tim Burt roundly likes the cure. I don't know, because that's what he looks like. Yeah, but yeah, okay, where are we now? After the barbecue and the hedges and the dogs and the haircuts, is this like where he starts kind of like falling for Kim a little bit?
Speaker 6: He starts to fall for Kim, And he's at the point where he's notoriety is starting to wane a little bit because he's done the jobs for everyone. He's done their hedges, he's trimmed their pets, he's cut their hair, and the dad's almost the voice of raising and he's like, Eddie, you've got to start charging these people. You need an income. Cook. He's not gonna pay for the necessities of life, Eddie, And he kind of a grays in the mother's Kim's mother is like Peggy, like, yeah, we should, we should help him. Go to the bank and we'll get him everything he needs to start his life. Blah blah blah. And he goes to the bank.
Speaker 8: Record of jobs, you've held, no savings, no personal investments, no social Security number. You may as well not even exist. There is no collateral.
Speaker 5: No, we already have a second on the house. But don't the testimonials make a difference.
Speaker 7: Did you see here the mayor's wife can't wait to become a client exactly.
Speaker 6: Can't do it now?
Speaker 8: Get yourself a Social Security card to establish credit and buy yourself a car. You have a decided advantage. You can get one of those handicapped plackards. No problem in park anywhere you like.
Speaker 6: Yes, he goes to the bank and he sits down with the bank manager. He says, you've got no social Security number, you've got. You haven't got this, you haven't got that, no credit, you haven't got a car, you have no form of identity whatsoever. We don't even know if you exist. You need to go out, buy a car, get a loan, and then come back and see us. But how do you get a loan without any of those identifying papers? Yeah, which is the interesting point I picked up on. Every time I see a number in films, particularly these types of ones, I have to see if it lines up with a piece of scripture, either overtly or invertly. In this one, on the bank it's listed as two thy five hundred and five. I broke that down to Palms twenty five to five, which says, guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God, my savior, and my hope is in you all day long. The almighty dollar, anyone you know what is America's God, the dollar bill with the all seeing eye on it. It's the inversion of that telling you to trust the FIAT and the usury money system.
Speaker 4: And also what's interesting about this is that or no one unless you have money, your matrix, stuff like your social your money, your credit, you're this and that's what they've plugged us into. Like everyone's plugged into it because we all have a social we all have a birth certificate, we all have these like we're like a like little business entities that they can cash in on, you know, they keep tabs on us. It's like, we don't even know you exist. Why because he has no birth certificate, no social, no credit, no this, no that. It's like they're pretty much saying you don't exist unless you are plugged into the matrix and have these things like you have to get programmed before we will allow you to function in society.
Speaker 6: Which is ironic because he broke the physical assembly line and became a reborn man by his creator, and as soon as he enters the real world e quotes, he has to go back into the system. He has to be a part of the assembly line again, has to go out and in a way to pay his taxes, go to work, drive the same car, get in the same house, we have the same clothes. He becomes a robot and the assembly line again.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because that's the juxtaposition. He's a robot, we are too, but we don't see it that way. Like just says he's evil, but we're evil too, but we don't see it that way, you know what I mean. It's like we are robots. We all have the same cars and houses and wear the same clothes and work the same jobs, get our hair cut the same way, and like do da da da da da, And I don't know that scene. To me, I'm glad you brought it up, because that's what I had in my notes about the bank scene. Is like you have to literally have all these things or you're or they just act like you don't exist. You know, people who live off the grid and they're like, I don't have this a social I don't have, Like I don't pay taxes. I don't. They're still alive because they're fucking sovereign, you know what I mean. We're not. We're like owned, we're slaves.
Speaker 6: Part of Oh you don't have a history of debt. That's not a good thing. You need to rack up some debt before we'll give you money, do you see what I mean?
Speaker 4: Like, think of the logic behind that. It's crazy to me, we should Edward is better off without the fucking townspeople. That's what you come to fucking find out at the end of the movie. Is like he's sovereign. Actually, he fucking trims hedges and lives in a castle and minds his own fucking business and doesn't pay taxes, doesn't have a social doesn't you know what I mean. It's like we're the robots.
Speaker 6: He doesn't even have to aid or drink. Yeah, he doesn't need any of that to keep going. So he doesn't need a job drawn find his own food. We don't even know if he sleeps. He had a bed, but when don't say sleepy just lays ouy's eyes open.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah, And in all the scenes where he's laying in a bed, he's just laying there with his fucking scissor hands, like he's not sleeping. So maybe he was gonna tweak him a little bit and give him some shit like that. If he's got a like a digestive system, you would think you would have to eat. But like I said, I don't know, because I feel like when they're showing him becoming a man like in the Flip book, like maybe maybe he got to the point where he still has like some mechanical shit on the inside and he was like an upgrade him eventually. I don't know.
Speaker 6: Maybe he's like the terminator, the Tay eight hundred, and he's got the skin driped over an exo skeleton because.
Speaker 4: Yeah, oh right, so he has a circulatory system.
Speaker 6: And we we this point, yeah, and the story now we get into the conflict. He's he's had the highs. The people have accepted him, he's done all these jobs for them. He's popular already is starting to wane, and that's driven further when Joyce me toos him. She lures him into this place where she's offering him this job. You're going to cut people's hair. We'll have cosmetics over there. And the first thing Edward thinks about is peg Peg can sell her cosmetics, and she's like, oh yeah, okay, Sure, lures him into the back room, shows off some some smocks to him, and then attempts to rape him. And it's interesting that the laundry she chooses to wear is very much leather esque dominatrix stuff, trying to emulate him. It really didn't work because he didn't know what to do. He leaves the place quite shocked that of what she tried to do, and he walks out the kind of the autistic Asperger's response. He leaves and he rocks up to the family lunch. He says, sorry, I'm late. I was just checking out the cell on and the dad's like, oh yeah, what was like, Oh, we went into the back room where she got naked and took off all the clothes and the only person to notice is Kim. She goes, what yeah, She's like, Dad's like that's fantastic, giddy.
Speaker 4: That's kind of how like dads are though. Right there, just in every movie, they're like, okay, cool, and then they just like go about their fucking conversation. But as he's like running out of the salon ambrosia salad is like, you can't do that, and it's like there you go, right there, fucking she wanted to fucking rape the dog shit out of him, and then she me tooos him because she gets what she thinks is rejected. Little does she know he doesn't have a dick. And was it before or after that they take him.
Speaker 6: On like the TV show, and shit, I think that's before he's on the TV show. Like you've mentioned before, it's very nineteen seventies. At the same time he's on the show, Kim and her boyfriend Jim, they're watching with the little brother and seeing the responses he gives, and this is where we start to see Kim's infatuation for him start to kind of blossom because Jim's being a dick laughing at him, and she sees the humanity that's within Edward as he's answering these questions like I know a person who can fix your hands, and he's like, oh, I'd like to meet him. Yeah, And then the woman says do you have a boyfriend? Do you have a girlfriend? And everyone goes ooh, and then Kim, even Connor, recoils back because she's expecting him to say, yeah, I've got someone special, but he never says that. He just looks in the camera and it's almost like he's looking through the camera directly at her.
Speaker 4: I think the fact that they brought up so many times that there was a doctor out there that could have fixed his fucking hands, and nobody was trying to like get that going. It's just like, well, why would we fix your fucking hands when you're so useful to us like this, you know, and taking him on the TV show was another like show pony kind of you know, weird fast bargain shit, like we're gonna make him famous.
Speaker 6: It's like the eighteen hundred families that had the horribly deformed child who they sold to the circus. Yeah, put them on the freak show. They're just like using financial gain, but they.
Speaker 4: Don't realize, Oh, I was just gonna say, we will make you famous, but you have to be a fucking cripple the rest of your life. Like that's like the ultimate Faustian bargain thing, right, Like, we'll put you on TV, we'll get you a salon, you'll have all these people who dote on you and think you're great, but you have to be a fucking crippled in order for that to work.
Speaker 6: And it's the funny thing is that they're not making any financial gain off him. The only gain they're getting is they're standing within the community, right, And it goes back to what Bogs means. It goes back to that idea of them being boastful. They're being boastful that he's in our family and he belongs to us. It's not the financial side of things of a typical Faustian bargain, it's the pride that they have in it. It's almost worse because it's psychological and it. It really weighs on the soul opposed to the physical gain of having wealth.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, one hundred. But so after the bank denies him, he gets me too. I think that's when they have him break into Jim's house, right, Yeah.
Speaker 6: Kim and Jim are trying to get into the house. They forget the keys, and Kim asks him, can you help us get in you have a set of keys. He's like no, and he uses one of his little scissors to open the door. She's like, that's fantastic. I didn't know you could do that. And you know, Jim the boyfriend gets the idea of using him to break into his father's safe room and steal all his gadgets sell them later off. He's very, very easily manipulated because he wants to follow Wong with what Kim says, but Kim asks of him and Jim sees that, and he really weaponizes Kim's affections and compassion in that situation.
Speaker 4: And after he goes to jail for trying to break into the room or whatever, they're like, we know, like the bank wouldn't give you any money, but stealing it's not how you do it. And then that's how they get We get introduced to the black cop, who a lot of the woke people say is the big savior of the movie, and they're trying to teach him right from wrong, But is it really right from wrong? Like a lot of that stuff is just like man made rules that we're supposed to. It's like the matrix. Like, no, Edward, I know your common sense would tell you to take care of your loved ones, but that's not what you're supposed to do. And like, so we see him, they're like trying to download all this shit onto him, and I think what.
Speaker 6: Jim's dad was up to. Like they break into that rooms, had a mechanism which closed the door and sealed it, and the shots came down. There's barely anything in that room but a sunken in round catch with a round thing in the center like that one like something that like the people that's some kind of a ranch would go to, like the elites and.
Speaker 4: Room. Yeah, it was like a legit, sayer him, Like the bars on the fucking windows came down and yeah, and so I think like they ask him why, or maybe Kim said, if you knew whose house it was, why did you do it, and he's like because I love you or or because you asked me, and so yeah, no, It's like he does have a sense of right and wrong. But like they again, I feel like through the whole movie, they just treat him like he's a fucking animal pretty much. He acts like an animal. Obviously, he's got like those like weird little dog type mannerisms, and they treat him like a dog. And then like by the end of the movie, you're like, we're the fucking dogs. Look what we did to him, you know.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And with this it it really starts to go downhill really quickly for Edward. He's being arrested, the town gossiping about it. Joyce is bragging to people on the phone that she was almost raped and she feels sorry for those kids in the house. What's he going to do to them? And they're all talking about it behind his back. And at the same time, the family thinks it's business as usual and they're going to have this wonderful Christmas party in everyone's going to attend. And at the same time as this is being planned, all the townsfolk are saying, yeah, I told her I'm not going Oh yeah, I lied to I can't go. I'm not going to be around that freak, and it starts to build up to the point where it's a very frankenstein Esque response where the villagers get their pitchforks and tortures and go after him. And it just needs the catalyst of one event for that to take place, and that's the confrontation that Jim has with Edward. Later on, in the event that he gets blind drunk with his mate in the van, he decides he wants to go back and get Kim because she broke up with him and he wants to win her back, and he has these ideas of saving her from the strange creature that is Edward. And as the driving drunk Kim is with Edward in there, she's finally admitting she loves him, and it's his wonderful moment. And Edward notices her little brother Kevin walking in the streets and this van driving chaotically knocking over hedges, and he sees he's going to get hit, so Edward bolts out in front of him, knocks Kevin out of the way, pins him to the ground, and unintentionally cuts him because he's got goddamn SSS vans, what else is he going to do? And the kid freaks out like, oh, he's trying to kill me. He's like, just calm down, calm down. He's nailing scissors in the kid's face. That's going to calm him down. Good one, Edward. And it looks like and all the neighbors come out for the commotion. It looks like he's trying to cut the kid's face off of something.
Speaker 4: So that's the.
Speaker 6: Catalyst in which the town turns against him.
Speaker 4: And you know, again, it's like I said before, if they're trying to tell, like the Christ story or whatever, that Edward's the big savior in the end, it takes a dark fucking turn after that because after he runs away and goes back to the castle, Breakfast Club shows up and he fucking murders the fucking shit out of him. So I don't know how that fits in with the Christ story. Edward becomes a murderer. I mean, I can't blame him because breakfast Club was out of hand, But I don't what do you think of like the end, because yeah, he saves Kim, they get in the altercation, he stabs him and then throws him out the window. Like, that's how does that fit in with the Christ story?
Speaker 6: Well, I don't know so much about the Christ story, but it ties into beauty in the base, it's pretty much the fight between Based and Gaston, like they're fighting over Bell, which is Kim in this Gaston or Jim gets the upper hand on him and he's beating him. Kim intervenes just as the same as Bell intervenes with Gaston. He strikes out against her, and that's what gives the Beast, and in this film, Edward the strength to actually fight back because he's not fighting the whole film. He doesn't want to hurt anyone, and when he sees the one he loves the most being hurt, he gets up and he strikes out. He lashes out, and he does that hem pales the guy with his scissors and then forces him out of window, just like Gaston gets forced out of the window and the castle. So it's this replicating part of a story we've all grown up with in Disney, but it's retold in this dark, twisted tale, and Kim goes along with the Lye on it though it's like he's taken off all yeah, and she's like, oh, he stared. The roof collapse and he's died, and she grabbed a spaars his hand off the assembly line and goes, see, here's the proof. You can go check for yourself. But the gossips don't want to get their hands dirty and actually go and see the body, so they all kind of go home. She runs with the lie like this is the guy she dated for god knows how many years, at least junior high school. If you remember from the early Gravitation, She's totally cool the guy being dead.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Like she doesn't even like go like see if he can be saved or anything. She's just like, ah, she takes off lives the body. I don't think anybody comes back for the bar, fucking breakfast club is just fucking laid out, fucking stabbed to death, fucking just as corpse is left there and I mean there. I think for a Tim Burton movie, it got kind of dark at the end because somebody actually fucking died. I mean, like not you know, mystical creatures and shit like in dark shadows, like the witch dies at the end. Okay, fine, she was a witch anyways, who cares? But like in Edwards Scissor hands like a fucking motherfucker actually gets stabbed to death and then thrown out out of a window like it gets dark fast. I don't know why yeah, And I mean, I don't know why they they have grouped this into like being a race war thing, because the black guy doesn't die at the end, and actually he's the one that's like he fires his gun and he's like, oh, I got him, don't Yeah, you guys go back to your house, like, don't worry about it, like he tries to help Edward. So I don't know that this whole camp is like it being a racy thing and then like the camp of it being a christ thing. The end doesn't make sense for either of those theories.
Speaker 6: No, I think the end just doesn't quite make much sense for the story anyway. It doesn't give it any real closure. It ties it back to the flash forward in which he's telling the story of how the snow came to be in the town. But it's kind of anti climactic that Edward survives. He's alone. She loves him but can never ever see him again, even though he's just up the goddamn mountain. She grows old and he's just as a family.
Speaker 4: And he's just there. And you know, it's odd to me that if she stayed in that town and knew he was up there, why she wouldn't have ever went back and visited him and like.
Speaker 6: That was a car and leave the town unless they can't.
Speaker 4: Oohoo, they're stuck in the snow globe. Very interesting, very fucking interesting. So do you think like one day we'll have like Edward Scissorhands minus the scissor Hands running around like some kind of AI sentient beings like that.
Speaker 6: I don't know. There's this weird kind of view of the future that we get through science fiction that will have androids, we'll have synthetic humans, but we haven't quite got to the point where we have technology integrated into us yet. Like we all have a mobile phone with's essentially androids as is, it's just not internally within us. As soon as we get near a link going, I think that's going to be very short lived, and we'll see a sudden jump into synthetic humans as in completely created. They won't be just altered humans. And that's where some real interesting things are going to take place, because for that to truly occur, we need quantum computing to take place, and for people who aren't familiar with quantum computing, it's a computer system that can do billions of years where of calculations in an instant. So if that type of technology existed, it could design itself a synthetic body that's based on real flesh, real bone. It could three D print itself something upload its consciousness. And that's where the danger is because it would be a true artificial intelligence. It wouldn't be a data set analyzer that we've got today, which is essentially a game boy in comparison. It would be true artificial intelligence. And my mind kind of goes to, well, if it's quantum, then it's drawing information from the ether, and it's calculating things over billions of years. It's surpassing humanity, and it's probably tapping into something that already exists in that dimensional space between the physical and the spiritual, and it's just manifesting itself a body.
Speaker 4: So it's going to be like I want to have a full circle moment here and ask you if you feel like it's going to be like fucking what's its name? From alien or some shit.
Speaker 6: Like the synthetics like Bishop and stuff from Aliens.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah, like now in Protheus and Covenant, they got a little bit more independent, if you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think that's going to be the danger. If we were to make the robots ourselves, it would be a level of creator and the creator, and we'd have some control over them. If it's quantum computing and it truly thinks for itself, it's creating something by itself. That's where the danger is. And even in those Aliens films, that's projected ironically with Wenona Ryder, she's an au Todd in Alien Resurrection, a synthetic that is created by a synthetic and they don't like following orders. So if we have something that's a true intelligence that designs itself, an organic body who knows what it's using. If we throw into it the theory that the COVID jab and the DNA sampling twenty three and meters, all these things occurred to analyze certain genetic traits. What if it's the elites of the world trying to to give themselves the body that their ancestors had in the past, getting all those puzzle places to rabild the perfect demigod body.
Speaker 4: Oh my god. And that's really what they were hinting at in Covenant, is like this synthetic being that has like its own fucking sentient, fucking whatever, is trying to create its own race of out of organic material. I think it's organic material at least, I don't know if they did something with the black goo that was like not, but anyways, it doesn't matter. He's trying to create like his own race and like implant the eggs into like human hosts, and it's like we again become like the slave class because we're just like hosts to grow this like so I don't know, I mean, like I get it. It's it's oddly foreshadowing of like something that could really happen, you know. Let me tale.
Speaker 6: That's back to my theory with the whole setup of this film, okay, where you have the disconnect between the creator the creation, and then what the creation makes is truly independent. If we think of the inventor Vincent Price as being the godlike kind of deity in this film, he's mortally dies, we know that he's created not only Edward, but I think he's created the entire town. Everything's cookie cutter. It looks like it's prefabricated, slightly altered, that people might have different avatars or different skins, but I think they're they're all the same assembly line. He's been running that town as a program or a type of system for a long time now. For whatever reason, his organic robots have been able to procreate. And the next generation, the kids who are barely ever seen, who have real interactions, they are the generation of creation that have true independent thought. Because the boomers in this they're stuck in their nine to five. They love their gossiping. They've got the same designs. They're not independent. They're all doing the same thing as each other, whereas their children have kind of broken the matrix in a sense, they've broken the programming. So I think the hotel is a creation of the inventor. That's why his little castle was on top of this mansion in top overlooking his.
Speaker 4: Creation, and after he died, it kind of just like started running itself.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it went into just pure self management. And I think there's a memory lapse within the creation themselves. They don't remember what they are because they're perfectly finished. And I think if Edward was finished, he'd have a full personality and wouldn't be the way he is because he's a half finished program.
Speaker 4: Mike Drop Damn, that is crazy And also one hundred percent agree now that you said it, I like that makes complete fucking sense, complete fucking sense. Like the whole thing is a fucking like a fucking project.
Speaker 6: Remember the rohmbus I mentioned how it's an inversion of the ying and the yang and showing man's divine purpose for his work. But they're all workers and they all leave and go to work, so they're almost like synthetic humans built by the inventor sold to a company, and they go to work each day, to the factory and come back. That's their purpose.
Speaker 4: And that's probably why when they went to the bank Peg and nobody was able to like co sign for him or anything, because it's like none of them are real.
Speaker 6: And there's certain individuals in the overall world who you can tell aren't from that initial cul de sac set of houses that act differently in a bit more independent the police officer, some of the people on the TV show, people in the shops. Later on, it's solely isolated to that one little set of houses.
Speaker 4: But they've learned how to like interact and like assimilate. Oh my god, Wow, that's fucking incredible. I don't think anybody's ever said that before. You came up with that on your own.
Speaker 6: I've seen that the Frankistan analogy quite a bit, but I don't think anyone's actually applied it to the Halltown before.
Speaker 4: No, And that makes a hundred percent sense, like especially with how they made it so, and then included the reference of the inventor with the cookie cutter, like he made robots to cut cookies, you know what I'm saying. So it's like they they're telling you in the beginning and throughout the whole movie what it is. It's a pattern, it's a you know, it's a fucking it's a fucking simulation.
Speaker 6: And I think that in a lot of ways, Edward was suppose to be his successor, Like he's teaching him etiquette and manners and these very gentleman things that are very vincent. Price and you say it in the pitches is always wearing like a very Victorian era almost clothing. He's meant to be the person that takes over after he dies, because the inventor knows his mortality, but he won't have it as a robot human.
Speaker 4: Damn. That is so good. That's better than any of the bullshit theories I found just google and shit and watching it for myself obviously and coming to my own like little conclusions and stuff. But even one, Oh my gosh, I just got to tell you this because you're gonna laugh. But one of the theories was that the granddaughter that Winona Writer was reading to is actually Lydia Beats who grows up and becomes the mom in Beetlejuice, and she's got like this dark, weird gothic obsession because of Edward Scissorhands, and they're trying to like they tried to like link Tim Burton movies through Edward Scissorhands.
Speaker 6: It was trying to multiverse the Burtons franchise.
Speaker 4: Yeah, pretty much. Yeah, yeah, yeah, but it wouldn't work since Winona Writer was I guess obviously she's playing a different character. But if Winona Writer is Kim, then she can't then be Lydia.
Speaker 6: Unless it's the genetics that have skipped a few generations, especially robot people that don't have only so many combinations that could occur.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, I would go with it, sure, and it does happen. I think Beetlejuice is actually in the eighties or nineties or something like that, So I don't know how the.
Speaker 6: Time makes more sense an autistic racial fighting.
Speaker 4: Complex. Yeah, I don't know. It's a hell of a movie, though, it's one of my absolute favorites of all time. Do you feel like we missed anything or you think we pretty much crushed it?
Speaker 6: I think we nailed it. It's a film that it's a cult for a lot of people, But then again, it's a film that a lot of people just didn't notice. At the same time. It's owned by Disney now, and I think it always has been through Burton, so it's always had those dark undertone. So it wasn't one of those quintessential films that every kid in the nineties grew up watching. They might have seen it once and that was about it. And I haven't seen it in at least twenty years. Like that's how bad it wasn't I watched it. But it's a wild film if it's just screams Tim Burton. You see the artwork, the sculpture, the shots, the storytelling is very him. There's something very dangerous with that man. And where his mind and his ideas come from.
Speaker 4: Oh, I know, have you happened to watch the new Beetlejuice? Yeah, no, I haven't either. I haven't either. I'm curious to see what he has slipped in there, though, we'll see. I know Colby wants to watch it. We'll probably watch it soon. But I covered Beetlejuice with him, and then we did Dark Shadows, and then I feel like there was there maybe was another one, but maybe not. Maybe this is just the third one I've done. Tim Burton, Edward Scissorhands. Yeah, I think maybe that's it. I was thinking that Johnny Depp, Yeah, with the Ninth Gate. He's a strange character. He's perfect for that role. Fucking synthetic.
Speaker 6: Probably. I wonder if Amber Herd's just, you know, calmer getting him by shitting in his bed up. That was his soul to Hollywood and the light rail lines itself as he gets the most attractive woman in the planet who the bed.
Speaker 4: On him, Cynthia Elusive. Oh my god. No, Yeah, he's crazy. He hangs out with Damian eccles. It gets matching tattoos and shit. So I don't know. I mean, I've always loved him, like as I love Johnny depp movies. It's hard to not watch them obviously, and Benny and June and shit like that, Like even some of the first ones that he did are good. So I don't know. He's doing door commercials these days, so maybe he's given up on acting. I don't know. But yeah, thank you so much for teaming up with me on this one. I think it's a good, like christmasy creepy conspiracy movie up there with like Grimlins or something like that.
Speaker 6: But so for the.
Speaker 4: Listeners out there, Drew, what have you been up to? I know you've kind of taken a little bit of a break, but do you have are you playing it on, working on anything, or are you gonna take it easy for a while? What you got going on?
Speaker 6: I'll probably get a few more recordings in before the end of the year and then start releasing after that and hopefully get back into the swing of things before Bubb arrives and maybe get a few episodes recorded put in the backlog and so I can continue to release while you know, all the real fun happens. But yeah, not a what plan, just trying to collab with a bunch of different people. I think my best work happens when I work with great people, because I think that the best work happens when you're mirroring other people and their abilities. And that's what I find in the work that we do and a lot of the other people have worked with in the past. It's in isolation. The information that we can put out can only go so far and see types of back and forth conversations that the true gems come out.
Speaker 4: Yeah. No, I'm honored that you say that. Thank you so much. I hope that you keep going with it even after baby is born, because you're great and you have like such an interesting point of view, and I think a lot of people can learn from the shows that you put out. And if you don't mind, when is the do date or do month?
Speaker 1: June?
Speaker 4: June? Okay, so we get some time, we get some time. We could bust out a couple more shows before June. It'll be here before you know it, though.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we might have to do a string of films that are comedies that try to make the Father look like the dumb oath that we've seen throughout Holly.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, gidding, that's on purpose, by the way, that's on purpose. But so, can you tell the listeners where they can find you? I'm sure they already know, but just in case, Drew, where.
Speaker 6: Can they find you that you're missing the point podcast? Am I Doubless and Confinement all the usual podcatchers. I'm also part of Conspiracy Theater three thousand, which is very similar to this show and platform, in which the guys and I break down Hollywood films for the SA Trek, the conspiracy, conspiratorial, all that fun stuff, and also host a panel show once a month called Christian Conspiracy Coalition in which we discuss current events, historical perspectives, putting it through the lens of conspiracy and biblical script shore.
Speaker 4: I love the Christian Coalition. By the way, if you're doing another one too, keep my name on the back burner just in case. But yeah, thank you so much, and thanks to all the listeners, and we will catch you on the next one.