Speaker 1: It's eight o seven. Now here's Nightside with Dan Ray.
Speaker 2: It's night Side with Dan Ray. I'm de Bezy Boston News Radio.
Speaker 1: Wait a second, Cherry, did I hear that score correctly? Hi? Sherry, welcome? Yeah and uh yeah. Now it's thirteen to one, bottom of the third in Florida.
Speaker 3: Not a great night for the Socks so far though, still goodness.
Speaker 1: Thirteen to one. I mean, you know when you said that their Dampa Bay's in the lead in the bottom of the third, I'm thinking one nothing, maybe two nothing, but thirteen to one. Whoa, yeah, we're in the dark. Welcome to the night shift here. Okay. I hope you got to hear your voice. Great to hear yours as well. Thanks so much for keeping us posted throughout the night. You you do the live reports now at the top of the hour at eight nine and no, Dan, we'll be back. Well that's excellent. That way you're going to be keeping us up to date as to what's going on around. Thank you so much, Ry, appreciating all right, good evening, everybody. Welcome on in on. Dan rayam the host of Nightside Nightside with Dan Ray, the aptly named program. Rob Brooks, the producer of this program is back in the control room at Broadcast Central, and without any further ado, I want to get to my first guest tonight, who is an institution in Boston. That does not mean he's old, he's just very, very influential. He is. His name is John Spooner, but not only is he a financial advisor of great success, but he's also an author of thirteen books. So, John Spooner, my first question is where do you find the time to do it? Number one? I mean that seriously as someone who spends his entire day trying to figure out a little four hour radio show five nights a week. Where do you get the energy?
Speaker 3: Well, well, maybe it's running down a little bit. But originally I stout out English major in college, wanted to be a novelist, and I had family pressure to go into the investment business, knowing that sooner or later when my first book came out. Not if it was when my first book came out, I would be out of there and quit. But I was in the business for about three years before my first book was bought by Little Brown, which was a novel was basically a Catcher in the rye on Wall Street, that wasn't the title. But by the time that happened, I've made this great discovery. Because I was horrible in math. I was allowed to waive second year algebra in high school and probably flunked the SATs. But I realized after three years in abiz that, you know what I really believe. It's not about math. It's about human nature, fear and greed specifically, and every time things were bad there was a bear market or people were scared. You should have been a buyer, not a seller, and that fear and greed dictated, in my view, eighty percent of market movements is emotional and twenty percent reality. And I thought, you know, the only thing I know anything about is human nature, because I always thought it was just a novelist. And sure enough, it's now called behavioral economics, which is a fancy way of saying fear and greed. So and because I realized that show business, meaning of writing has huge movements, the way stock's going to have up and down, and if you choose the creative life, whether you act, sing, dance, write, paint, mostly you're doomed. In the creative life. It's so tough. So I thought, don't give up your day job, but I'll never stop writing.
Speaker 1: Good for you. Well, you haven't stopped. And this is the thirteenth book that we're talking about that been all novels. This one is called Wake Up. A Lifetime of Lessons from Smart Women. I must tell you in my business, I think the smartest women are the smartest people in my business happen to be women I've worked with and for a lot of smart women. How did this book come to be?
Speaker 3: Well, all books come from German of an idea. For instance, years ago I was at caddy at Brookline, Muni now called Putterham, and I loved the game of golf, and for years I would have dreams about four young men caddies or I don't know who they are walking down a first t carrying golf bags, and for years I said, who are they? And finally I wrote a novel called The Foursome that came out of the nineties. There was about four kids and they start caddy and then something bad happens when they're young, and they keep that secret and it becomes their story. So jerem of the idea. I wrote a book in nineteen eighty called Smart People, which was kind of cause to stir. It was very popular and still resonates today. I believe in about how do you brand yourself an increasingly anonymous world, and how do you get people to get on your team and take care of you? And little tricks to the trade, to how you become different than other people and kind of attract other people to you who actually want to help you in law, medicine, moneymap, money, money matters, and including plumbers, carpenters, etc. Cooks. And there was a chapter called My Smart Women in it then and for decades I've been thinking, why don't you do a book just about women? And boy, if there is ever a time, this is women's time. And more and more women are running things at every turn in society, and during the pandemic, for instance, Dan, what did women do during the pandemic? Everything? Women talk to their girlfriends every day. What are you reading? What are you watching? What are you rubbing on your arms? What about the kids? What are you cooking? Guys during that time looking at the window saying who am I? And what's it all about? And women and the girlfriends know what it's all about, because guys don't call guys who haven't earn touch with their networks every day virtually, and the guys don't call each other. So more and more I'm relying as you say, and women do answer all kinds of questions for me. And the book is forty two different women, forty two different occupations dan from law to medicine, to acting, to marketing, to cooking to you name it. And they're all women in my life from the time I was three years old. And the lessons that they gave me a not only prices, they are not lessons preaching on high they're practical, down and dirty streets by lessons that no guy could ever tell me.
Speaker 1: Well, that's a great that's that's a great encapsulation of what the what the book is all about. Again, it's not often I would characterize you truly as a renaissance man in the sense that not only have you written as much as you've written, and in order to write, you have to think, and also, obviously to be a successful financial advisor, people who know you speak very highly of your advice and your wisdom over the years, and you wouldn't have stayed in the business and been as successful as you have been as a financial advisor. So let me pick your brain for one second. Here, A lot of people have been panicking. I do not remember the market being as turbulent in recent memory. I know we've had bigger drops in nine to eleven. And I follow the market, not as closely as you, but pretty closely. I've never seen the market with such swings over a period. Now. Maybe it's because the Dow is up in the forty thousand range and all of that, and Nasdaq is up around twenty and all, and the numbers are bigger. But it was amazing last week to see down one day, up the next down. Then you figure it's going up, but it goes down, then it goes up. And it was up a little bit today. Not a big move today. When do you think that this airplane ride is going to settle out? You got a sense.
Speaker 3: Well, basically, I can't say too much about this because I'm not supposed to talk finance, but I'll give you one quick impression. Again, it's some behavioral economics or fear and greed. When I came into this business, the Dow Jones average was five hundred and twenty.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, tod I remember those laws were.
Speaker 3: Forty thousand plus and how many bumps in the road and panics. I've worked through probably seven true panics, from the Kennedy assassination to the crash of eighty seven to the horrible decade of the seventies twenty percent interest and every single time there was a panic and panic selling from nine to eleven, to look back to Pearl Harbor, which I only remember vaguely, I was a little kid. And in every case one should have been a buyer, not a seller, if you take the long term view, and again behavioral economics says, when there's panic around us, that's when there's often opportunity and bargains appear, whether it's an art or real estate or stocks. And if you take most people, by the way Dan seem to look at last week and next week. I try and look over the chasm way out there, what's going to be going on three to five years from now? If I do X And in every single case where usually in normal markets things go sideways, there are a few groups that are strong and a few not so strong. But when you get a condition where everybody is taken out and shot, that's where bargains may appear. And if you take the long run and you buy quality, you're going to be a winner eventually. So that's my take on what's going on now.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm glad you hear that take, because that is the take that I try to ascribe to folks as well and suggest to people friends of mine. It is I always joke. I'll say, when it's time to panic, I'll let you know, but it's not time to Jeordgepter, thank you so much. The book is Wake Up, a lifetime of lessons from smart women. I would hope that a lot of the readers would take and take some of your examples and apply them in their own life, because I think all of us, if we look back, there have been some smart women in our lives. And whenever I don't think as smart as they are, my wife and daughter reminds me how wrong I am. Generally they're right. Judge Boter, thank you so much for your time tonight. We will talk again, my friend.
Speaker 3: Okay, thank you Dan so much. Bye bye.
Speaker 1: You're very welcome. All right, we get back when we talk about prepping up for the Boston Marathon, how runners get ready for the challenge of running twenty six point two miles, training, weather, injury, prevention, all that going to be talking with a sports medicine physician. We'll be back on Nightside. My name is Dan Ray. It's a Monday night. We're just starting twenty hours. This is the first hour of the week, so stay with us for twenty hours and you'll be a lot smarter and more entertained by week's end. Back on Nightside right after this.
Speaker 2: You're on Nightside with Dan Ray on ws Boston's news radio.
Speaker 1: I'm delighted to be joined by doctor Adam ten Fordy. Doctor ten Fordy, welcome to Nightside. How are you, sir?
Speaker 4: I'm doing well. Thanks, thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: You're very welcome. You're a sports medicine physician at the Spalding National Running Center, which is located right here in Boston. Are well, great Boston area? Correct? Yeah.
Speaker 4: Absolutely. Our goal at the Spaulding National Running Center, which is part of Nation General Brigham Healthcare, is to provide a comprehensive approach to taking care of injured runners and related health concerns.
Speaker 1: So you don't have to be a marathon or to be injured in the marathon to take advantage of Spaulding National Running Center.
Speaker 4: I assume that's correct. A lot of times, folks will read a little bit about my background and they come in assuming that you have to be a serious, high performing athlete to require medical care. And my view is that the sport of running is available to everyone across ability levels and ages, and it's really just a fun sport we should all be able to enjoy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the problem that running can create for people, particularly when they get inspired by watching the marathon on Patriots Day here in Boston, is next week they're out running. They're trying to run five or ten miles, and they're trying to go from zero to sixty in about five seconds. And that's a problem. I'm assuming that a lot of people make that mistake. They watch the marathon on television and they say, I can't do that, but I can at least run five or ten miles. And the next morning they wake up and they realize that that was a huge mistake. What do you tell people who are going to start out after the marathon. They're going to get inspire, the weather's now, good spring is here, Other than take it easy, what do you tell them?
Speaker 4: Well, first off, I like to bust a couple of the myths that running is somehow harmful for your body or your joints, and I think you alluded to this earlier. An any new activity, just like going to a weight room. If you just start lifting heavy reps, you're likely to be sore afterwards, so start slow. Oftentimes there are programs that are available online which they refer to as a couch to five k program, and it's the idea that anyone should be able to start to advance into running. Of course, there can be health concerns, and so if someone is worried about having an underlying medical condition, again, myself or anyone at Maasternal Brigham would be happy to see those individuals where we have sports cardiology in a number of different ways to ensure that the body and the heart and other organs are healthy to enjoy the sport. But in most cases it is so is.
Speaker 1: It as simple? I mean the advice I would give someone, And I'm not a marathon but I used to run a lot of ten k's and to the point of my life where now my exercise is on an elliptical machine because I just that's for me is where I want to be. I tell people, when you're going to start, just start walking, you know, walk a few you know, a little distance, a little more distant than then some day, you know, could I trot around the reservoir one? So whatever, maybe next week twice. Gradually, I think is the key. I'm getting a sense that maybe I'm being too conservative with my advice.
Speaker 4: No, I actually think your advice is pretty consistent with what we would recommend, which is typically to do what we refer to as a walk round for And you know, there's there's so many advantages of getting out to run, the community of you know, having someone who becomes an exercise partner, or even if it's something you like to do just to clear your mind. And you know, there's there's a lot of benefits to just being outside and and just moving faster.
Speaker 1: And I started running somewhat seriously in my twenties. I had played sports in high school and college and then went to law school and didn't do too much running. But I took it easy, and I would go out do four miles a day, and I would click it off around the river, seven minute miles, and I knew twenty eight minutes I would be done, and I knew what exactly where where I would be. And I found it that kind of opened up the world to me, and I spent a good twenty years on the back roads, and on occasion had a chance to run with Bill Rogers because he and I lived in the same town. Not for long with Billy Rogers, but we know, run for a quarter of a mile, maybe on a good day half a mile, and then you know he threw it into third gear. What's the best advice you would give to someone who goes out, maybe overextends themselves, and wakes up the next morning and says, oh, I've never had that discomfort before my leg or my foot or my ankle. I think I know what you're going to say, but I want my audience to hear it from you, not from me.
Speaker 4: So first off, just just to respond to your experience with running. I think that's what's so beautiful about the sport is you can engage with so many wonderful people in the community, and in general, runners tend to be a really nice population to get to know and to run with. You know, from the standpoint though, of aches and pains, those are those are very common when when someone is either getting into running or any sport in general. We look at aches and pains that improve as you're active. So for example, if you go for a run and the next day you feel a little stiff and sore, but as you're moving throughout the day, it feels better and better. Those tend to be reassuring features. Or not having pain vocalized directly over a bone, or having pain in a joint where there's a lot of swelling. Those those, in general are things that I feel like it's reasonable to give your body a little bit of time to get used to the new activity. But if a pain persists, or it's getting worse or builds as you run, or you're having you know, swelling, or you feel like you're moving in a way in which something else is going to get hurt, those tend to be the more clear cuts. And said, seeing myself, seeing a provider National Brigham, just someone who understands the injured runner and also is not going to make you feel bad about getting back into that sport. That's one of the key, the key factors that I feel like we've we've got a much better handle on. And again, this is a sport that people should be able to enjoy. We don't tell someone who plays soccer or football and has an injury. You know, you shouldn't do that sport anymore because you might get injured.
Speaker 5: What we try to think about is why did you get that.
Speaker 4: Injury, and how do we treat it, and how do we prevent that from happening in the future.
Speaker 1: Now, the best website for folks who want to get more information, and I think we have hopefully certainly at least scraped the surface. It's spaldingrehab dot org. Is that the best way that folks can get to the website and get some information and maybe even get in contact with you directly.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, And you know, in general, you know the other homepage of mass General Brigham where you know if you are looking for a sports medicine provider, I'm listed among a number of colleagues that I really trust and feel do a do a great job and taking care of injured runners and others that are just trying to be more physically active.
Speaker 1: Sounds great, Doctor Adam ten forty spelled last name spelled t e n f o r d E t e n f o r d pronounced ten forty. Doctor ten forty, thank you so much, great to talk to you. You sound to me like a great doctor for people who are trying to get in shape or indeed stay in shape. And I really tell you, if I was runner, you'd be on speed dial for me. Man, you're a great, great guest. Thank you so much, Thanks.
Speaker 4: For having me and for the kind words.
Speaker 1: You're right back at you, right back at you. All Right, we get back on the other side of the news at the bottom and the air. We're going to talk about a group called Run for the Troops, but it's a little different. It's corn Hall for a Cause, an upcoming event on Sunday, June eighth. This is when everybody can participate in. You listen to WBZ tenth third in your AM radio, my ten thirty on your AM dial on your AM radio. My name is Dan Ray, and I'm here every Monday through Friday night from eight until midnight. And WBZ is here for you three hundred and sixty five days a year, twenty four to seven. And you can be in touch with us. Just pull down. We're an iHeartRadio station, the iHeart app, and you can make us your first preset and you will always be merely a fingertip away. Back on night Side right after the news.
Speaker 2: Night Side with Dan Ray on WBZ, Boston's news radio.
Speaker 1: It's fourteen to one in Tampa, fourteen to one, Come on, come on, Red Sox. I want to welcome back tonight Bill Pennington, founder of Run for the Troops. Bill Pennington, welcome back.
Speaker 5: How are you hey, Well, thank you so much for having us on again. I really appreciate the support.
Speaker 1: Thank you my pleasure. Give us a quick I know we're talking about Run for the Troops, We're not talking about a road race. Here, give us the quick synopsis of how Run for the Troops was founded, in what you have tried to accomplish with that, and then we're going to talk about your big event on Sunday, June eighth, corn Hole for a Cause. Tell us about the organization.
Speaker 5: First, well, it was my whole family served in the military. My mom served in the Marines, my father served in the Navy, and as I slowed down, I couldn't qualify for the Boston Marathon. So I put on a fundraiser to raise money for a charity BIB, and that's how it all started, and we did really well. And of course my daughter continued tradition by marrying a marine. So I'm though I never directly serve diet. I'm very much aware of the sacrifices are men and women.
Speaker 1: Have Run for the troops has been around. I know I've interviewed you for several years. How long has run for the Troops been around?
Speaker 5: Fifteen years?
Speaker 1: Yeah, sure, that makes sense to me. Okay, so let's talk about this event is a little different. I know what corn hole is. It's a fun it's a fun event. I'd like to call an athletic event, but it really doesn't involve a lot of athleticism. And it's something that can be played by people I think from five or six years old right up until ninety five or maybe one hundred and five and one hundred and six.
Speaker 5: Tell us about it, Well, it's a great opportunity. It serves two purposes. It helps us raise money to continue the programs, and plus it's believing or not life saving camaraderie opportunities for our veterans. Our veterans I've talked to them over the years. The one thing they value more than any thing else is the opportunity to socialize with fellow veterans. And this is just a great opportunity we'll have Navy teams against army teams, marines against you know Coast Guard, and then we have also civilians there. It's a great camaraderie event and it takes place at Ironstone Farm in Andover, so it's it's a great opportunity.
Speaker 1: So this is a day long event. It's on Sunday, June eighth, which I'm sure the weather will be a little better than it's been the last few weekends. How many folks do you think? How many people are going to participate.
Speaker 5: Well, we anticipate selling out. We only have fifty enough room for fifty teams. We actually have it inside a riding arena at Ironstone Farm, so the weather is not a factory.
Speaker 1: Like that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and it's very unique. It's it's you know, dirt floor, it's you know, everyone's working together and to have a good time and support our veterans. We have auto pizza and all kinds of refreshment there and all the participants get extremely worthwhile medals from Ashworth Medals. And it's just a camaraderie event and also a fundraiser too.
Speaker 1: So if it's fifty teams, there's two two people to a team as I understand that. So you're talking about one hundred people, max, Okay, And what time on that Sunday the things get going o'clock or.
Speaker 5: Three o'clock, basically three to five. We suggest you get there early. You can practice, you know, enjoy some pizza and some refreshments, camaraderie, and you can pick up your medals which are great ahead of time. And it's just and the great thing about Ironstone Farms a lot of our therapy programs for our veterans take place there, so a lot of people have never been to Ironstone Farms can see the horses and learn a little bit more about Ironstone Farms and what they do for our veterans.
Speaker 1: So there's no it's not like based upon a women's division, men's division or you know, seniors or people under the age or whatever. A team can be made up of any two people as I understand it correct.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And the one of the teams that finished second last year, the team that finished second last year is led by my pastor, Pastor John Paul at Free Christian Church, and he practices all the time and he's very very good and his partners are marine. So yeah, so's it's all walks of life. You know, non athletes. You know, we're not going to have anybody from the you know, anyone can do it, you know, age five, the one hundred and five and deult as the bass of marathon.
Speaker 1: So if they're inclined to do this. And by the way, you said, everybody gets the metal.
Speaker 5: Matters, you know, that's the oh the team nowadays, you know, oh yeah, every kid.
Speaker 1: Get gets a trophy. I hear that. I hear that. We'll talk about that some other time. But that's okay. So that's okay. It's it's for a cause. So what's the website? Obviously people want to get themselves at this only room for fifty teams, you know, fifty teams of two people, it's going to fill up pretty quickly.
Speaker 5: So yeah, we we have people registering now and they can do that front for the Troops m a dot org and just click on events and it's all on their registration. Like last year, first time event, we had forty seven teams and do the space of the writing arena. You know, we want to make sure it's a good time. So for fifty you know, fifty teams and one hundred spectators are welcome to cheer and support and enjoy some pizza and you know, refreshments also.
Speaker 1: So give me the website. Did you say Friends for the troops or run for the troops?
Speaker 5: Run for the troops M dot org?
Speaker 1: Perfect? Okay, Run for the troops all one word with an MA in there, dot org. Run for the troops ma, all one word dot org. And that gets you to the website I see right here, cornwall for a cause. Sunday, June, bags fly at three o'clock Ironstone Farm. Remind me what town is Ironstone Farming, because you know.
Speaker 5: It's andover Massachusetts. And you know it well because they're the connection with mass School of Law. Yes, and certainly we'll save a spot for you, but you have to register soon, Damp And that's well.
Speaker 1: Understand that.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 1: I just never missed that I would discourage anybody because I'm so good at this. Holy kiddy. Hey, if I can make it, I will build Pennington Pass always. Thanks very much. Thanks for the work you do and for the causes that you support. Very important.
Speaker 5: Thanks support also.
Speaker 1: Anytime, anytime, Thanks so much. When we get back right after the break, we're going to talk about another day, which is April eighteenth, which will mark the two hundred and fiftieth anniversary of Paul Revere's famous two of by Sea lantern signal in Old North Church. That, of course was the ninth before the nineteenth. They have two events coming up, and we were back in in seventeen seventy five. I might add, we have two events we want to tell you. I'm going to talk about Nicki Stewart, the executive director of the Old North Illuminated, which operates Old North Church Historic Site. Back on night Side, We'll give you a couple of events in the next couple of days that you might want to participate in. One on Wednesday, one on Friday. Back on night Side.
Speaker 2: Right after this Night Side with Dan Ray on Boston's News.
Speaker 1: Radio, delighted to be joined by Nicki Stewart, the executive director of the Old North Illuminated, which operates Old North Church Historic Site. Nikki, I had never heard of Old North Illuminated. Now I know what organization runs Old North Church Historic Site. How are you?
Speaker 6: I am great, Thanks for having.
Speaker 1: Me, very welcome. Well, of course, we are coming hard upon the two hundred and fiftieth anniversary of a lot of things, the Battle of Concord and Lexington, the two hundred and fiftieth anniversary of Paul Revere's famous to if I see lantern signal in Old North Church. Now, of course the Patriots Day has always been well until the changes the first Monday and all of that, but it's always been celebrated on the day of April nineteenth. But Paul Revere was working before April nineteenth. People have to remember Revere started his ride the night before.
Speaker 6: Yes, the night before.
Speaker 1: He was listening to Night's Side on his transits to radio. And that's how a holy kidding. What time did he start out trot it out? What about ten o'clock or earlier?
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, pretty late at night. We know that it was dark and it was a full moon, and you know, a very dangerous mission.
Speaker 1: Yes it is. I'll tell you when it's a full moon, I have a dangerous miss mission because a full moon does affect my my callers sometimes. So number one, I know exactly what was going on. So okay, he heads off and he's warning everyone the British are coming. The British are coming. This is a dumb question. But but if anyone that should have the answer, it should be you. How many miles did he ride? That night. That's all about.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's about fourteen miles. I like to tell Boston Marathon runners that they've gone a lot farger than Paul Revere's horse.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well that's true. But fourteen miles on a horse at night, you know, it's it's it's it's a it's a it's a it's a dangerous ride. Never mind the fact that British troops.
Speaker 6: Were absolutely, so absolutely and he's yeah.
Speaker 1: You have two events this week. You have a celebration breakfast marking Old North Church's famous lantern signal on the sixteenth, which is Wednesday. Is that Are the tickets available to that or is that by invitation only? Tell us about it.
Speaker 6: You know, this year we are honoring filmmaker Ken Burns with our third Lantern Award and we are sold out as you can imagine, but we are hoping everybody will come see us on Friday night throughout the North End in Charlestown for the Bride and the Row commemorations.
Speaker 1: So tell us about that, because that's on Friday night. It is free and open to the public. As great as the event is on Wednesday, tell us what's going to happen on Friday night and where should people go and what should do? They go to the Old North Church, whether they hang out.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so Friday night, as we said, it's the Act two hundred and fiftieth anniversary, and so there will be events starting at five thirty throughout the North End and Charlestown. Folks can go to the Paul Revere House starting at five thirty. They'll see Paul and Rachel getting ready for the ride, and they'll be a focus on what that was like for his wife and the seven children that are in the house. That night, folks can go to the USS Constitution Museum if they're in Charlestown and get ready to see Revere row across the harbor. But what I'm excited about is that on the Paul Revere Mall, starting at six thirty, Old North Illuminated is doing an event with the City of Boston to kick off the Boston two fifty brand, and we'll have a table read of our hit play Revolution's Edge. And so that is totally free, open to the public, and the weather is looking good.
Speaker 1: What is a table read? I think I know what it is, but I'm sure you can explain it precisely to me.
Speaker 6: Yeah. So Revolution's Edge play that we produced for two summers in the church, so it's not coming back for a full production, but we will have costumed actors reading the script and there will be asl interpretation as well.
Speaker 1: And that's inside the Old Wild Church.
Speaker 6: That is outside on the Paul Revere mall right by the statue on Hanover Street.
Speaker 1: Okay, well that's again. I just want to make sure we're getting people to the right place.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, my time.
Speaker 1: Is there a website that has the program and the time of the activities. I'm sure you have a time schedule on this.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, So folks can go to Old North dot com and then there's a link right on the homepage to all of the festivities that night. And I will also give a plug. The City of Boston is doing a drone show over the harbor starting at eight thirty, so folks make their way to Langom Park or over to the shipyard. They can see the drone show and then watch as Revere rode across the water.
Speaker 1: So when you say rode across the water, that's that's why I'm a little concerned.
Speaker 6: There's no horse. There's no horse in the boat.
Speaker 1: So he rows across the water water. Is that what he actually did? And then he picks up a horse on the other side.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah. So one of my colleagues at the Revere House says that owning a horse in the city of Boston in seventeen seventy five was just as hard as owning a car is in the city of Boston today. So Revere will go to the water on foot.
Speaker 1: The problem is there was no place to park your horse.
Speaker 6: I mean it was this, there was no place to nope.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So so he actually was there any sort of a bridge. You know, there is a bridge, you know, the Washington Street bridge that that connects the north end to Charlestown. Was there?
Speaker 6: There was not, There was not a Washington Street bridge at that time. No, So his best bet, and it's only about a five minute row, so it's quick. So he walks to the water on foot. He gets rowed across, and then he picks up a horse from Deacon Markan And that's what folks will get to see if they're in Charlestown on Friday night.
Speaker 1: Okay, And so in truth, he didn't row himself. There were people. There was someone there who.
Speaker 6: Two friends, Yeah, two friends who rode him across.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, and this is so this is all going to be historically accurate, is what I'm what, I'm my senses.
Speaker 6: I'm getting it right now as close as we can get.
Speaker 1: Yep. Yeah, So Channel four News didn't cover the event live back in the day.
Speaker 6: To the best of my knowledge, I might have been missed it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, okay, we've missed a few news stories over the years. Let's talk. Let's not rub that in Nicky too much. So we're going to.
Speaker 6: Get at this time, We're going to get.
Speaker 1: At that time, I'm sure. So you got to sort of plan for my listeners if you're going to do this, Yeah, gotta kind of go to the schedule and figure out because they're not going to let you in the boat with Revere. I guarantee you that. Okay. So you got to make sure that wherever you are, you want, whatever you want to see, you have to plan it in advance. It's as simple as that. So give us the website where people can go, which is most importantly to kind of do their homework and strategize. You know, well, yeah, where they're going to be. Go ahead, it's Old North Yep.
Speaker 6: Old North dot com.
Speaker 1: Yep, Old North dot com. Okay, that sounds great. Now has anything on this scale ever been attempted I'm wondering fifty years ago in nineteen seventy five. Was there a reenactment on this scale back then? Or this sounds to me pretty big? And if it happened in seventy five, I missed it, but I was missing a lot of things at seventy five. I was right out of law school at the time. Is this a little bit? Has this reenactment ever been done before this?
Speaker 6: This is this is a big production. So the last time there was a reenactment of the Row was twenty fourteen, so it's been over ten years now, and this will be a much bigger scale than what has been done in the past. Again, events on both sides of the Harbor Drone show, tavern nights in Charlestown. It's just going to be a really fun night, okay.
Speaker 1: And then the last thing, no ideas where you say that people park their horses or I mean their cars best if they took for the MVT.
Speaker 6: What you're going to do, Yeah, I would say a lot of bikes at bike.
Speaker 1: There's not a lot of parking in the North End.
Speaker 6: That is correct.
Speaker 1: Great restaurants, great restaurants, but not a lot of parking. Nikki, you're a good sport. You've you've made it interesting. This that all goes on Friday night.
Speaker 3: Go to Old Night.
Speaker 1: Give us that one more time. You're the best website is.
Speaker 6: Old North old dot com Old just Old North.
Speaker 1: That's better. That's better. Okay, great, Nikki, thank you so much. Okay, you thanks very much. All Right, good night, all right, we're done for now and we are coming back right after the nine o'clock news. Spring sprang today. Spring sprung a little bit. But guess what else follows spring. It's just not mayflowers. Rats. Uh. Last year the city attempted to eliminate as many rats as possible. I don't think they succeeded. We'll talk about it on the other side of the nine o'clock news.