Speaker 1: Bulky.
Speaker 2: I want to read you a text that I received moments before this podcast started. Okay, dude, I watched the Pizza Movie. I may have surrendered a few IQ points, but there were definitely a few chuckles. That's from a Wisconsin state senator, really that listened to you and I chatting on Outside the Box yesterday took the time. I'm like, man, of all the movies that I've talked about.
Speaker 1: Pizza Movies is the one that here she went with. Here she Pizza movie is the one she went with. Yes, And I have to say, you guys have talked about Nuremberg. You guys have talked about the Fantastic Four.
Speaker 2: What are some of the other big ones, the long walks, some artistic ones. We were all over the spectrum in films that would be worth seeing and the one that broke out?
Speaker 1: What does this say about the Wisconsin was it state representative, state senator, state senator, Wisconsin state senator that she is mostly intrigued by the stoner comedy angle that we've not really explored on this podcast before.
Speaker 2: No, no, that was this was our first web at it here and it definitely says something that's for sure. And I texted back. Just to be clear, those Bulky and Ie segments are not endorsements of the film.
Speaker 1: No, you know what you should have said to her, and like you should have been like, remind me again why weed is still not.
Speaker 2: Legal in this state. I actually should because you know, I don't want to read the follow up, but read the last text that she sent me.
Speaker 1: You know. You know what's funny about that is this was a not a theater movie. Pizza Movie was on Hulu and Disney Plus, so we didn't have to We could be in the comfort of our own homes watching this movie. It was the only way to do it because it's not in theaters. And I thought about indulging, Ben, I thought about indulging. Yeah, and I didn't, And I'm glad I didn't.
Speaker 2: Well for the purposes of going this going on the website of the place where I work me neither wink?
Speaker 1: Yeah exactly.
Speaker 2: I think that the wink defeats the purpose, does it. Yeah?
Speaker 1: No, I just I'm a winker. Okay, Yeah, you know me. Yeah, just happened to me. It was totally coincidental.
Speaker 2: So we're jumping into Pizza movie obviously, and this was a bit of a last minute pivot. This was not hot necessarily high on either of our lists. We had expressed it was a backup in the previous episode of the.
Speaker 1: Programmed to us by John Jordan from WAPL whose opinion I respect, who I haven't had a chance to talk about this film yet because I've been moving a mile a minute since I got off the air.
Speaker 2: What did he say specifically about this movie?
Speaker 1: He just he because it wasn't just have you heard of this movie? He actually recommended that we watch it.
Speaker 2: And not only did he recommend it, because my desk, since our remodel, I am tucked away any ben commonos to John Jordan interactions come when I walked past his desk and one of us has seen something that we want to talk to the other one about. He took the time to find me in my cubby hole wow to say, have you seen Pizza movie yet? I said no, and he oh, oh boy. And I was like, oh, well, all right, if that's that's enough of an endorsement for me, so so I'm on board. And I kept it kind of in the background here. And as you and I oftentimes lament, March and April are not necessarily the best months for movies.
Speaker 1: Are they the worst?
Speaker 2: Would you say they're the worst?
Speaker 1: There's a little lull after the summer blockbusters, but even then I think, like early fall, we get some good.
Speaker 2: Stuff and there's been a recent resurgence, or not resurgence, I should say, insurgents of risky horror like R rated or name horror that is looking for the to capitalize on the remnants of the summer crowd, but not necessarily going up against a Marvel, DC or Disney movie. And that's kind of September isn't as much of a waste of time as it once was, So I'd argue that these two months, as well as January are kind of where it is absolutely dead. I still think we had the worst luck in January so far with even though I did enjoy Primates, but Primate was a little touch and go, and a Conda was probably.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was bad. I forgot how bad that was. Didn't we do send help? Was that in January or was that that.
Speaker 2: Was in February? Yeah, because I think that was after I got back from Thailand, so I bought us a little bit of a respite there. Yeah, exactly. I was gone for a couple of weeks. So Pizza Movie I think is only our second fore into the streaming service other than Happy Gilmore No, we did, oh and What's On? It's What's Inside? Yeah, yeah, which is so forgettable that I forget we did it exactly. But you know, Happy Gilmore Too was fine. I guess I'd argue and this doesn't.
Speaker 1: Say that, by the way, from the feedback I've gotten from people who know me and listen to this show, that was like one of their most I should say most people. A lot of people who have come up to me and talked to them about this show. They really liked the Happy Gilmore Too podcast that we did. Oh really, that was like their favorite. I don't know why I have to go back and re listen to it, because I don't think it was anything spectacular. Neither one of us, like we're drilling home how much we love the movie.
Speaker 2: But maybe that was what it was, is that we acknowledged it and like to kind of put it in perspective here, like without giving the rating, obviously because we do that for the end, obviously better than What's Inside. Did you have more or less fun watching Pizza Movie than you did watching Happy it's a hard question to answer. Yeah, it's a hard question to answer because Happy We're Two left a lot to be desired. So did Pizza Movie. And I found myself keep telling me.
Speaker 1: Really, Pizza Movie left a lot to be desired for you. Yeah, you and I disagree there. Really I didn't love it, Okay, okay, but like my expectations going in, sure we're so low.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, and I laughed, I'm not going to be crapping on this movie at all, but I just I've got some some notes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like, I think I had more enjoyment watching Happy Gilmore too, even though I didn't like the movie because of the nostalgic as exactly, you know exactly with this it was kind of like a throwaway, one off type thing where this is not really meant for my generation.
Speaker 2: And and and and you know the other thing I'll say about this too. Who were the stars of this film? Sean Giabroni, who was the main character on The Goldbergs on ABC, which just went off the air. I think it's probably about off the air almost ten years now, maybe not quite ten.
Speaker 1: But that was a mainstay on weeknight comedy on broadcast TV, and then Gayton, Madarazzo, Matizarro, Matdrazo, Madrazo. Excuse me, I apologized to Italians everywhere he was there. You go, he was on Stranger Things. Oh, which, by the way, I should bring this up. One of my guys I work with at my other job, they celebrated Greek Easter this past weekend. Yeah do you do that?
Speaker 2: Really?
Speaker 1: Yep? What did you do? Oh?
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, I'm not in Pittsburgh anymore, so I just I just pissed around. But like, if I were in Pittsburgh, I'd go to my Yaya's house and I'd have lamb and we'd crack eggs and we'd do all the stuff. So they guys do just later.
Speaker 1: Right, Okay, So they they bought a spit like at we don't that far and they bought a whole lamb. It was the first time they've ever done it. Kevi and his brothers. They decided. I saw the picture. I love that.
Speaker 2: I wish they invited me.
Speaker 1: I would have been there, for they live in Manhattan.
Speaker 2: So still, you might as well just go to Pits. I realized the show is called off Topics, So I'm going to use this opportunity here to any of the of the Orthodox listeners.
Speaker 1: Orthodocists also do it.
Speaker 2: There's a handful to do the same thing, but like it's the only time when people cook lamb is on Easter, and there was nothing worse to be, like, Oh, yeah, go into the I guess it's time for lamb. And you get there and she pulls out the ham and you're like, oh, I guess there's always guess, there's always next year. Nothing more depressing than not getting lamb on.
Speaker 1: I cannot remember the last time I had lamb.
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm sure I have had it at some point. Oh, it's delicious, but yeah, I remember, Like the red meat. I think it's like the healthiest kind for you or something.
Speaker 2: Didn't realize the red meat, Yeah, I guess it is. Yeah, and it's apparently not nearly as bad for you was traditional red meat. Can't back that up. Don't quote me on it.
Speaker 1: But uh, how does it compare to mutton, because that isn't mutton, the full the meat of the full grown sheep.
Speaker 2: Oh I don't know that. I don't know you were. Oh no, because the Lord would not the Lord would not let that go. It's got to be a lamp. But exactly, and you want to talk some hippie dippy shit, Greek Easter is either the same day as your Easter, one week later, two weeks later, or six weeks later, and it all depends on the full moon. That's bizarre. There you go, But technically it's also orthodox because this was the original definition. So the Easter that everyone else celebrates is actually the newer way.
Speaker 1: Of doing it.
Speaker 2: Ah, Okay, you're welcome for that.
Speaker 1: We appreciate it, Ben, thank you. Yeah.
Speaker 2: But in any event, what was his name, Mado?
Speaker 1: He was on Stranger Things, right, So this is an opportunity for these guys who sort of grew up in front of the camera to kind of stretch their legs and do like more of an adult themed type, not adult team, but like twenties, you know, people in their twenties.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like stoner comedy with what it was.
Speaker 1: And if you look at some of the other people, Lulu Wilson, who was sort of the female lead and I hesitate to use the term lead because he wasn't a lead. She was more of a supporting character in this, but she was in a bus. She was actually in some some other horror stuff.
Speaker 2: She was in Becky, Yeah, Becky fantastic.
Speaker 1: And she was also going to be in All was a marvel thing. And I can't remember which one Doctor Strange. She was in Doctor Strange, the New Doctor Strange, the Multise. They cut her scene so she actually wasn't in it, but she did film the scene for them. And then you hit and I can't remember who the other woman was that that Sean Giebro, thank you. She did some Disney stuff back in the day. She was on the Doogie Howser MD, not spin off but sort of like remake. Yeah, and it was like Hawaiian like she was like the Hawaiian Doogie Howser or whatever.
Speaker 2: And she was in twenty twenty fours Carved. If you're looking for.
Speaker 1: I'm not familiar.
Speaker 2: This was this horror. Yeah, I'm assuming from the game. Yeah. It was basically an updated Pumpkinhead type of movie. I don't even know pumpkin Head. Oh that's like from the eighties. But that's not diverge too far off here, but but.
Speaker 1: That would to bring it back to my original point.
Speaker 2: This was not made for us.
Speaker 1: No, these are characters are excuse me, these are actors that are much younger than us that are playing much younger characters. This is set in college, in early college, right like first or second year of college.
Speaker 2: That's how it seems like it's And I have described it to several people in my personal life. I said, you know, if I had seen this when I were nineteen, I probably would have thought it was one of the funniest things I've ever seen in my life. But I saw it when I was thirty eight, so I'm looking at it through a thirty eight year old's perspective. The reason I picked nineteen is I was nineteen when super Bad came out, and I thought that was one of the funniest things that ever came out. Now, I would argue that that transcends ages a little better than this movie does.
Speaker 1: One hundred percent, because I don't know when it's come out twenty seven, twenty oh seven, So I was forty. No, I wasn't forty. I was twenty eight. Yeah, I came out and I thought it was hilarious. I thought it was hilarious when I was thirty eight, and I'm forty six now it's still hilarious. I love it, you know, It's great. Jonah Hill was on SNL when Jack Black had the he got inducted into the Five Timers Club or whatever. Sure, by the way, go back and look at that Ben.
Speaker 2: He is on something. His mouth is a gape the entire time.
Speaker 1: Doubt it, it was really and he looked thin again, so like it's like he's like the new Oprah Winfrey. He's fat, he's thin, he's fat, he's thin. But he said on there he's like, oh yeah, I was just filming or writing the script for super Bad too, and everybody went crazy like oh yeah, you know, and he's like April Fools or something like that, which sucked because it would have been great.
Speaker 2: But I'd argue what that movie has that this one's missing when you watch super Bad. When I saw I think I might have brought this up on the podcast before I watched in theaters when I was nineteen and I was the person trying to sneak booze because I couldn't buy legally. But then you go back and watch the movie when you're twenty eight, and you see like the guy working at the liquor store who's like, I hate my fucking life and like all those people and like as someone who really hadn't figured crap out by his twenties. I was sitting there like, yeah, yeah, I kind of relate more to the to the liquor store, to the people go into the house party, to the like all these other characters that kind of are reflective around these high school students, and so they have both sides met, so you can kind of enjoy it, and then you could argue. I think if I watched it now, I might even be more like Seth Rogan or Bill Hayter trying to find fun in my now fully adult life, and like it covers all the different bases of life, whereas this is very There are no characters for anybody over the age of twenty two in this movie.
Speaker 1: Exactly did you notice? You and I talked about this? Daniel Radcliffe voiced these firefly Yeah. Do you know who voiced the Snackatron, the pizza delivery robot.
Speaker 2: I think if you didn't tell me this, John Jordan did, But it's already it's Josh Gadd right, Well, it's.
Speaker 1: A good guess it's another large actor. Bobby moynihan, a former SNL cast member, as well. Sarah Sherman shut to a current SNL cast member, and we said Britannic I believe is the official director's name. It's two guys who combined their names to come up with this director. You know, it's like, oh sure, no, yeah, but they wrote on SNL from in the twenty sixteen to twenty those.
Speaker 2: Guys always like the SNL people always stick together, you know, like.
Speaker 1: Does seem like it because they're always trying to give each other work.
Speaker 2: For sure.
Speaker 1: I was gonna point this out getting off topic again. So I visited my uncle who lives in San Francisco Bay area. This would have been I don't know how many years ago now, at least fifteen, probably twenty, and we are having dinner. I don't know why we had it. Like I, when I go somewhere, you're probably the same way I want to go somewhere where I, you know, experience something local. Sure, we went to like Chili's, yeah, which was really annoying to me. But what I noticed when we were there were sitting there and there's these these people in there, kids probably my age, like twenty twenty five, nobody older than thirty.
Speaker 2: But they're all like partying in the bar.
Speaker 1: Area of Chili's and like slamming back shots and stuff, and I'm like, and I said to my uncle, I'm like, what's going on here? Is Chili's like the big bar that people And he said, you know, we don't really have because he's from Wisconsin River and he's like, we do only have bars here, like where people just go out and pound or you know, like this is the bar. And I always thought, well, I'm sure there's some exceptions to that. But then I was watching super Bad the first time I saw it, and I'm like, why are all these people who are clearly over the age of twenty one, why are they all congregating at a house party?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: And then I remember my uncle said, like, we've been in a bar, So then it made sense that all these because that was always kind of a weird thing for me when I was watching super Bad. Is this is the perfect time for these people, especially people who get drunk and fight that you go to bars for that, you don't go to somebody's house.
Speaker 2: Uh see, maybe I'm just wired differently, but I always enjoyed the house party esthetic more than the bar aesthetic, Like sign me up to go to someone's house have a keg. There may be or at least a whole bunch of booze. I have always found that because what's funny is, especially with my group of friends that I grew up with, I'd always joke and like we complained about how many people are at a bar or the aesthetic of the bar, and then none of us talk to anybody else that wasn't in the group anywhere. Why don't we just buy booze for cheaper and go have fun with the people that we know that we have fun with, and then if we really want to go experience life, then go out after the fact. And like that's always been my attitude.
Speaker 1: But I think the thing is with my friends and maybe because we're all sloppy pigs, nobody wants to host. Oh that's fair, you know what I mean, Like, you go to a bar, you don't have to wipe your feet and to your gusting and whatever, and to your point.
Speaker 2: I moved back to my dad's house for my twenty bean, twenty five and part of twenty six. I lived in downtown Pittsburgh proper right after college because life was still affordable. Then then I decided I wanted to save up to buy my duplex, so I moved home for about a year and a half and then I moved back to the city and during that year and a half, Chili's was our spot. We would go to Chili's all the time and just get whacked. The bartenders loved us when they'd see us walk in, like it was like, Oh, it's gonna be one of those kind of thursdays.
Speaker 1: Huh right, yes, yes it is. Let's get this done. The uh the okay. So getting back to ye Sorr, well.
Speaker 2: No, because it's these are the kind of stories that are because this is the vibe the movie goes for, is these kind of stories when you're still trying to figure life out when you really don't have And I'm gonna be honest with you, Dustin whatever the hell's name was, We're never gonna say, right, Gaton Mattarazo, Yeah, let's be real. He wanted to be Jonah Hill in this movie. He was trying to channel Jonah Hill in this movie. And he is not Jonah Like, that's not the character that he can play. I'll be real. I had issues with both of the lead casts casting. I didn't like either one of them.
Speaker 1: Oh, I could see Sean BRONI because he was kind of this nerdy you know, he's this nerdy kind of looking at it might have been funnier.
Speaker 2: Did you watch The Goldbergs at all? No, I mean he was even nerdier on that show. I'm sure, I'm sure, but even the main ra which Jack Martin.
Speaker 1: Wait, would you how would you compare Sean gia Berney's character to Michael Sarah's character.
Speaker 2: Michael Sarah was and maybe I'm just biased, but Michael Sarah was infinitely more classic. There's not anything because Michael Sarah's a unique cat, right, He's got the weird voice, he's got the weird mannerisms. Both of these people I think benefited from a funny script that could have been funnier if different people were there cast. Take Jim Carrey out of Dumb and Dumber and all the jokes are still there, but it's not the same movie. And sometimes I just feel like you can tell, like, ah, this movie actually could have been better if it had been cast better. And I realize you're not going to get a list actors to do this kind of movie. You're going to get people trying to establish themselves, right, But to me, I think it was funny writing that was done well, it's not like I was like, I can tell they're reading the script, but it's not. It could have been brought up to the m degree. The RA Jack Martin would scream his his le I'm like, you know, these lines could have been funny if they were delivered in a different way.
Speaker 1: The Ra was too soft for me, like the character they cast or the actor they cast to play him, like it should have been more of a Do you remember Bottle Rocket at all? The movie came out in the late eighties. It was Wes Anderson's basically his first thing, and uh, all three of the Wilson's were in it, Luke Wilson, Owen Wilson, and Andrew Wilson, who I didn't even know that was a personactly. Yeah, and he's like this total kind of like sorry Andrew hard ass.
Speaker 2: In that movie and he doesn't really do much you know after that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you needed some sort of like militant you know, guy you know, with with with with some sort of like four H not four H but you know, like like military aspirations, like you needed that for the RA to lead this. Like this guy was was just he was too soft of a of a of a man too.
Speaker 2: I will say, you picked up on the obvious and glorious bastard's reference.
Speaker 1: What was it?
Speaker 2: What was it when he uh he catches the one kid? I think it was like a young black kid who hid some drugs, like in a microwave or something. And they just did the first scene from Glorious Drugs and you see him cry like one tier all he's doing and it was almost line for line, and I was like, this is funny. I almost think it would have been better if they just had the ra do like the drill sergeant in uh uh a full metal jacket?
Speaker 1: Are m?
Speaker 2: Yeah, just do these famous scenes because the scenes that you're letting him improv do it, he's just screaming it. And I had a ninth grade hit English teacher who said to me when we were watching the Leonardo DiCaprio Romeo and Juliette movie where he's screaming the lyrics and he looks at the glass, he goes, you know, screaming the lines. He said, screaming your lines does not make you a good actor. And I was I found myself channeling mister Hubert while I was watching this ra do the lines. I didn't really find that anybody was cast in a particular outside of Peyton Elizabeth Lee. I thought she was perfectly cast. Everybody else I was like.
Speaker 1: Eh, so let me ask you this, and this is an unfair question. Who would you have liked to see? What actors would you have liked to see in the in these roles in the two main one, in the three main Folt essentially God, because I have a feeling whoever you're going.
Speaker 2: To say is more contemporary to my youth. Yeah, probably probably, And I'm interested because like, uh, Gayton Monarazzo does the painted fingernails thing, which is much more a gen Z thing. I was not off put by it in any stretch of the imagination. But that's obviously a younger era type of deal with Kayleb Williams doing it and all that jazz that they very clearly were kind of embodying this, this gen Z take on what I was used to for the millennial take. Whatever the situation is. And maybe that is it. That it's just as I often state on Outside the Box, humor evolves, and maybe it is evolving, not to the point where I hate it. Obviously I laughed quite a bit at type points to this movie, but again I credit the writing and not the acting all that. So I don't know who I would put in these roles because I can't see anything other than this generation's super bad, which then obviously I can't put.
Speaker 1: You can't put those guys back.
Speaker 2: Because they're too old exactly, And so I don't know who young people would be that I would want to see in those roles. I just know that the way, at least in which that I saw them, I was like, man, there's a really funny script here that it just feels like they don't have. I don't know if it's a lack of creativity or acting chops or what it is. It's just like they can't bring this. Like you know, in Dumb and Dumber, they were like, eat the spicy peppers in the hamburger and then do whatever you see fit and Jim Carrey like creates a fountain and sticks his face in front of it. And I don't think most people would have thought to do that, and that scene still would have been funny, you know what I mean, It still have had those elements, But there's something that certain people can do to take to the next level. I think there was a really funny idea here. I think that's what I'm frustrated about, is it was a really funny idea that it just there were moments that I was just like, ah, better, better suited people would have really ate this up.
Speaker 1: We we we I think what we have to be careful of here when we talk about this. And I don't necessarily disagree with you. Physical comedy is such a difficult thing to pull off, like and and there's three people that come to mind, and maybe the third one shouldn't come to mind, but it does. Jim Carrey, Chris Marley, and Melissa McCarthy. For me, there's the other one that that comes up, and I think she's tremendous. I think you could put Zach gallifan Akis in that.
Speaker 2: I think Jimmy Chase kind of lived in that a little bit. I didn't personally enjoy it. He was more like deadpan comedy rather than what he'd like. I step on this thing and I fall down Like that was quite a bit of a stick.
Speaker 1: The galifan Akis, I think, is kind of transitioning away from that.
Speaker 2: Although he's in this. Did you see this new thing?
Speaker 1: I don't know if it's on Prime or who or whatever about a farm thing that he's working on. It looked very bizarre comedy drama. Well, I think it's a comedy, but it like it's kind of like it's very between two ferns.
Speaker 2: S Oh wow, So look it up if you get a chance.
Speaker 1: I'm not going to check it out, but whatever, So I think it's hard to pull off, and I think you would have needed you know, we come we keep using.
Speaker 2: The the Jim Carrey example from Dumb and Dumber.
Speaker 1: You could pick out, you know, any of his comedic movies in the nineties or early two thousands, that that's such a difficult thing to find, and so like, I don't we could have listed off, you know, dozens of actors that could have been in this situation. I don't know if it would have been any better because we're talking about rarefied air with what he's able to do in front of the camera right that. I just think most actors cannot pull off. And I mentioned a few of them. I really think that's a very short.
Speaker 2: List put so okay, But then to that point, like, now, this is interesting because had I not been texted by a local government official, way, the way I was going to start this show was to ask you, what, in your mind is your favorite college humor movie, because obviously Animal House set the standard, and there's a billion you got, you got Van Wilder, You've got the the American Pie movies. My favorite as a kid, which I probably was watching it too young, was road Trip. Outside of Tom Green, who what is physical comedy embodied a lot of those guys. You're Sean Williams, Scott's You're whatever, that main I don't know any of the actors, the main guy. Oh and then DJ DJ Qualls guy. Yeah, like not any of them really chewed up the scenery, but their chemistry, the way they one another, it was perfect. Like it was so well done. These guys I could tell, like to go back to Dumb and Dumber. You almost forget that when the cameras stopped rolling that Jim Carrey and Jeff Daniels aren't best friends in real life and they're not going to hang out when when work has done that day. I did not get that vibe with this two. And maybe it's because I'm an older and cynical man and I'm talking about movies that I saw as a child. And it was easier to lose yourself in it with these ways, and I am I'm acknowledging that, but I also do think that it was better made. And I think my main frustration to keep hammering at home is there's a funny idea here, there's a really good idea.
Speaker 1: I think these guys are the directors and the writers of this film.
Speaker 2: Dave, Harold and Kumar.
Speaker 1: We haven't even touched. Yeah, well, I was gonna ask you about this, so so I think like the comparison between Pizza Movie and the Harold and Kumar Is it.
Speaker 2: A trilogy or is ittube trilogy?
Speaker 1: Yes, I get some of the comparisons, and this one was so absurdist and it was so far out there that it kind of lost me a little bit. I mentioned how these guys had experience writing for us, and now they also did their own sketch comedy on YouTube, you know before they sort of like, I don't want to say, hit it big, but got their big break whatever. I felt like this was a totally stitch together sketch comedy movie where there's yeah, remember the Kentucky Fried movie from like the midiages. Yeah, totally reminded me of like, I kept harkening back to the Kentucky Fried movie with this, with all these like weird little sketches that somehow would tie into the next scene, sometimes cleanly, sometimes not so cleanly. And I appreciated the callbacks that we got to in the payoffs that we got to later on in the movie before it ended. You know, the elevator thing, the whole magician thing, right, the the the hispanic guy thing, right, So there was that was cool like that. I appreciated that. But some of the stuff like if you say a bad word, your head explodes as one of the stages of this, I mean that that makes no sense.
Speaker 2: And it just kept it was quite literally, it was like happy It was like groundhog Day. It was like Happy death Day was it would literally like I did appreciate that because I was anticipating Oh.
Speaker 1: And then and then you know what else, Sorry, You're good. Twenty one Jump Street hit like and twenty two Jump Street. I believe they had the stages of the drugs laid out in the same way that this film absolutely and this one again took it a twenty one Jump Street false sense of confidence. Well, yeah, obviously that's gonna come with truck. It's in here, and then this one you have to eat pizza or you die. Make the baby like it, make the baby less, make the baby I mean, what.
Speaker 2: The hell is that?
Speaker 1: That killed me? That was so good?
Speaker 2: And see, I thought we might write it run into this And I'm gonna have to be careful about how I talk about this on the airwaves, but let's just say you and I had different experiences in our twenties, and there are elements of this that I was like, oh, yeah, I understand what they went through in their real life that inspired this scene and how they got here. And I'm sitting like, I wonder what Bulky's thinking about this right now, And because like to make the baby like it. There's a couple of moments where I laughed out loud watching this movie by myself, and make the Baby like It. It wasn't the actual scene. It was when they're getting the rundown of all the all the different stages. In the first stage, you was the preamble is to make the baby like Yeah. It was just so absurdest and I appreciated because I was expecting, you know me, even before the movie starts, I'm like, I bet I know how this movie ends, and I was into say, right, well, that's what I was gonna say. I'm glad they didn't do it. So I'm like, I bet you they're never even gonna leave their apartment and everything that happens is going to be in their head. It's gonna turn out and like no, like the stuff that is happening is really happening in the movie. But then when you do that, it makes some of the other stuff just make absolutely no sense. And you can't pick apart of a movie like this. But at the same time, if you're gonna have rules and then the rules only make sense, some of the times, it does get distracting, and this movie suffered from that quite a bit. Specifically with the We're all one scene. I'm like, I don't understand how any of this is happening. Yeah, yeah, And it was like it was funny enough, and I'm sitting there, I'm like, you know, in the writer's room, wasn't somebody like we could probably think of a better fifth third act, fifth fifth stage than what we're doing here, Like that was a that was the thought that I was thinking while watching this movie. But let's just say there were moments that I was like, oh, yeah, I get that.
Speaker 1: I had moments like I definitely laughed out loud several times, but I think the like as the movie went on, I laughed less.
Speaker 2: Yes, I was gonna say that it runs out of steam very quickly.
Speaker 1: There there is a semi and I think you know what I'm talking about. There is a semi interesting twist, not even at a semi.
Speaker 2: There was an.
Speaker 1: Interesting twist where they said if you don't if it what was it, if you overdose on this, you'll find out the true harsh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that really that recaptured my attention that moment, Yeah, where you find the real truth or whatever it is?
Speaker 1: Right. So so then when as weird as the audience is finding out the truth along with the character or whatever, I'm like, oh, this is.
Speaker 2: A cool twist. Let's see where this goes.
Speaker 1: And and I'm like, you know what, of course the two internet sketch guys are gonna put something like this in their film, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Like it just it was it. It made perfect sense at the time. That was very cool, and I thought it was a real conversation that they were having. Like I feel like, let's just put this book, like, let's just do this, and like I loved it.
Speaker 1: I loved structurally and and you know, I agree with you on the script, you know, like like everything all the elements were here. Yeah, and and I think, now let me throw this at you, and you're probably gonna agree. Maybe you won't agree with me, but you're you're probably gonna you should at least see my point. These are two guys writers, uh, two directors that sort of have I don't know how you want to say it. This was like their first big opportunity to do something significant with a film, right, So what do you do in that you don't want to screw it up? Right?
Speaker 2: Well, let's find the target audio and really nailed that down. Who are the two main actors?
Speaker 1: A dude who was on this ABC comedy that I think a lot of people you know this age, you know in the early twenties, mid twenties, probably grew up watching We're very familiar with big bankable guy who was part of a television a broadcast television show that I think hit two hundred episodes.
Speaker 2: That's significant. Wow, Okay. And then the other guy is from one of the biggest phenoms outside of the last season.
Speaker 1: I mean, I would say, not only for that age group, for everybody. Yeah, everybody was talking. Yes, So you have an opportunity to get those two guys. Yeah, maybe it's not the perfect fit. Yeah, maybe they're not gonna have great chemistry. But if you have the opportunity to bring those guys into your very first film, you're gonna do it every single time. And it's and it was an easy way to sell it to Hulu or Disney or whoever. I assume Disney owns Hulu, right, Yeah, Yeah, probably an easy way to sell it to Disney. We have these two bankable stars, and yes, it's gonna be obserdist but this is gonna get a lot of eyes. And you know what, it worked. It wasn't perfect, but for your first foray into this where you're trying to strablish establish more Hollywood cred, this is a good way to do it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And maybe, like you're just kind of highlighting a little bit to the extent that I kind of lost touch with some things in life, because, like you tell me, is the goldbergs of that era relevant relative to Seinfeld or Friends. No, it's not. It's not at that level.
Speaker 1: Okay, but you're talking about you can't I mean not to sound like a douche here, but you can't really compare the two because when Seinfeld and friends were crushing it on primetime.
Speaker 2: There weren't as many options. There's no streaming service, there was no Internet. But I guess the reason I asked the question is because, yeah, I've never seen the show, But would that be like somebody in the nineties being like, who's this Matthew Perry guy? And why did they partner him with Bruce Willis in this the whole nine? Was anybody asking that I'm asking because me saying this, Sean, how do you say his name? Is me being like this guy wasn't funny because I never watched the show, and like, there it might just highlight a blind spot for me. This show two hundred episodes. That's more than Community or Arrested Development thought, you know what I mean, And so like, that's a big show, and so am I the person who's maybe out of touch with this guy? Is what I'm kind of coming to this conversation.
Speaker 1: But I mean, not that, and I know this wasn't your point and it's kind of a straw man argument, but Bruce Willis is a bona fide movie star, like if they would have had a bona fide movie star playing opposite You know, I don't know who you put in that. Even Kieran Culking is too old. Yeah, I'm trying to I don't know, yeah exactly. Maybe I'm just getting out of touch for that. And this was never in theaters, you know, it was so but.
Speaker 2: Even that's becoming. Matt Damon and Ben Affleck did a movie that went straight to riffles. Have you watched? I was just gonna ask you seen it yet? I will see it? We maybe we should do that for another story. We could.
Speaker 1: However, I have wiki did so I know what happens, but I'd still be willing to do it because there it's all about I absolutely am uh do you know the plot?
Speaker 2: It's like, isn't it like a hest thing? It is?
Speaker 1: And it's like there's cops involved and drug dealers, but then there's dirty cops, and then you don't know who's dirty and who's clean and well departed. Okay, yes, but after reading the wiki entry on the rip, I'm still not one hundred percent sure I know what happened. But but but departed. I mean it's it's pretty cut and drive, like who's who's good, Who's actually who does that's legit? But yeah, so I guess my main issue with it is the casting. Like I really don't have much to say more about. Well, let's let's put a bowl on the Harold and Kumar thing. Is that an apt comparison?
Speaker 2: I think it was because actually, I'm glad you bring that up, because I wanted to bring it to Harold and Kumar and keep the Happy Gilmore Too conversation in here, because you essentially were saying this felt like a strung together bit of bits, and I'd argue Happy Gilmore Too was a strung together movie of cameos. It's like, here's the scene that has Eminem, here's the scene that has this famous golfer, here's the scene that has this guy from the first movie, And there was just a plot to justify all of these random things happening. I would argue this felt much more like a movie than that did. Like I feel like there was an A to B. There was character growth. You found out some things about the people as the plot developed, You found out there were more connections between the characters and you realize, like I said, there was a lot that kind of tied this movie in. You highlighted the payoffs with the elevator scene and certain recurring jokes that happened, and they even did the non linear storytelling where the main character is hated at the beginning of the movie and you have no idea really why. And that is also one of the hardest times I laughed is when they were at the football party and every time a football player talked, I'm not going to ruin it, but it's just every time one of.
Speaker 1: Them even not well okay, yeah what they what they say? Yeah, but everybody hates them like football players, other students, everybody hates us.
Speaker 2: In the second or third Harold and Kumar movie, well, those are very forgettable for me. You could be right, Yes, that's my point is that I'd argue it wasn't as good as the first one. But again I also saw Harold and Kumar in my you know, young and dumb days.
Speaker 1: But the other aspect with Harold and Kumar, and and this is probably the problem I have with it. Harold and Kumar, the goal is something that we can identify with a bunch of well, I say, we as the public. Yeah, what do you call that? I don't know what you're going for?
Speaker 2: You know where?
Speaker 1: Disclaimer, yeah, disclaimer the Royal way, the Royal We you get high, you get super hungry. Food just looks so good and then you're craving the best food. White Castle, Yeah, the.
Speaker 2: Royal We have all been there, yeah, we all.
Speaker 1: I mean that was such it, I mean like, and so that's scene of Hal and Kumer when they're finally enjoying the spoils of everything they've been.
Speaker 2: Through in an era before uber or door right exactly, because that movie is completely ruined in twenty twenty six, Like the plot never happens, so like it's it's a completely it's a bygone.
Speaker 1: Although because they're they're they're so high yeah or whatever, yeah, or we don't know that like out of in the twist, like why don't you guys just door dash it? And then how kind of how twenty one Jump Street ended? You guys are going to college? Yes, no, the yet, why don't you use door dash?
Speaker 2: What?
Speaker 1: The yeah?
Speaker 2: You know, sure that would have been great.
Speaker 1: So uh, this film, well, it is called pizza movie. It was it was a generic pizza place.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, it looked good. I would have eaten that.
Speaker 1: It was fine. Yeah, of course, Yeah, that's a little too much flavor on there.
Speaker 2: But it wasn't. There was no the payoff wasn't the enjoyment.
Speaker 1: Of the pizza, which we can identify with the whole thing that I had to have the pizza, and I realized, I'm spoiling part of the movie with this drug. If you take this drug without pizza, your worst nightmare comes true.
Speaker 2: Whatever.
Speaker 1: Like, so this was a matter of like, not the euphoria of pleasure. It was the pain and terror of of.
Speaker 2: Of I don't know, whatever you want to call it. Of yeah, just the bad yeah right, and like it's not even in their head, like I'm a little like I took a mint or something. Yeah, that's the that's the best part is like I found myself harkening back to the original Nightmare on Elm Street because you see a character go through the final state, and like he's floating in the air like the blonde girl in the in the in the bedroom in the first night martin Elm Street movie and like you don't see Freddy, you just see her flailing about and then uh and then uh, what do you call it a scratch mark comes across her just and then she's dead, and uh. They kind of play into that moment here as well. And I know, I think the lack of realism kind of bothered you with that. I actually kind of appreciated that they they made it real throughout the entire movie, Like the things that were happening were actually happening. But that ex floating scene was dumb. And it's in the trailer, so I'm not spoiling any but like I also there were moments where I laughed, Like there were moments in that scene that I was like, all right, like I'm interested to see where this comes.
Speaker 1: It's not that I didn't understand it or understand what they're going for, it's just not for me. Yeah, And I'm like, I'm like, you know, watching this, trying to like because I Daredevil came out last night, I knew episode, and I want to I want.
Speaker 2: To talk to you off the air because I'm out there in the last episode. I'm up to date, and I have a lot of thoughts.
Speaker 1: So then so I was I was like trying to get through this because this is my appetizer to Jared Devil and I'm just like stinking John Jordan, you know, this is like, why doesn't it seem like a Hymn movie?
Speaker 2: Though?
Speaker 1: No, I mean like you know him better than me as far as like movies go. But to me, like this is I mean he's king horror. I mean you you're king horror.
Speaker 2: But like no, m so than okay, but like that's the that's the type of thing.
Speaker 1: Like, so I have no experience in his recommendation for non horror movies. So when he said pizza movie number one, I was like, Oh, it's gotta be good because John, this is this is out of his my perceived.
Speaker 2: Wheelhouse for him.
Speaker 1: And you said it's gotta be good because he seeked you out to tell you about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is ironic or it's weird because this isn't a seek me out to tell me about it kind of. I would agree with that, but I will say I probably wouldn't have watched it without him. And I'm not mad I watched it. You know, it's not like it's not how like how I felt after undertone, Yeah, you know it's I didn't feel that way at all. I laughed quite a bit. I'd argue we haven't done a whole bunch of comedies. It wasn't as funny as Naked Gun, and it wasn't as funny as.
Speaker 1: All Right.
Speaker 2: Actually, i'm gonna say it, it was funnier and Happy Gilmore two.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're uh, it's close, but I think I think you're probably right. Yeah, because Happy Gilmore too was a classic Sandler and get all my buddies together, right, you know film where where a script and punchlines and timing that's all tertiary and at the cameo as we can do not to be that guy, but I'm gonna be that guy.
Speaker 2: Most of the movies like this from Our Youth that I haven't seen in a while probably haven't aged that well, and like this one, what do you mean? Like there are scenes in these other movies that might be a little objectified or you know, a little dated at the time, and at the time it was fine, And that's how movies work. And everyone needs to shut up and appreciate the movie came out at a certain time and move on. But this is a movie that, like it didn't have to resort to those kind of moments, like it it elicited genuine laughs without taking it to there, and I have to give credit where credit is due. It's harder to do that, in my opinion, and I think they pulled that off in a way that was impressive.
Speaker 1: I'll say this, and and I've kind of alluded to this earlier. Whatever these guys do next, I'm in, yeah, I definitely want.
Speaker 2: To see it.
Speaker 1: Imagine they're only going to get better look look it up because I know. I know that the directors the directors, and they're writers too. I mean, the same guy's directed and wrote this. It's Nick and it starts at a K. I can't remember Nick Coacher and Brian mclaney, so so yeah, yeah, exactly mcaleney. I should have known that from from Rob, although he's not Rob mcaleney anymore. But they combined their names to be Britt and Nick. So it's like Britannic. Okay, which is I dig that? Yeah or yeah Britannic. Anyway, whatever they do next, I'm definitely into.
Speaker 2: Okay, good, you have nine days? Really over your dead body? This?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: Ben?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know if I said this to you on air or even off air, I don't remember. I saw the trailer for this like a couple of months ago, and I'm like, this is the Jason Siegel movie.
Speaker 2: Right. It doesn't say who else is in it. It's just like an AI overview of it is what I is what I pulled up.
Speaker 1: I just googled it.
Speaker 2: Oh, it says. An action comedy thriller written by Coacher mclaney, is scheduled to open in theaters on April twenty fourth. It's the remake of the twenty twenty one film The Trip.
Speaker 1: Which I think was a British film if I remember correctly. Yes, I'm sure this is the Jason Siegel one. It's basically a husband and a wife who get married and then essentially are trying to kill each other. Oh good, and the other one doesn't. The other one's so focused on trying to kill the other one that they don't realize that. I'm watch a trailer for it sometime. I was gonna bring this up. I thought this might be pretty good. What scared me a little bit off of it is I didn't want it to turn into like a rom com.
Speaker 2: Yeah, or that's your basically is describing the Roses, which is the only one you didn't watch for this this podcast. But yeah, it's basically that's not the same plot. That same premise is basically so like yeah, I mean they're like like in the trailer, the Jason Seagull plus these right see Now that granted he wouldn't fit well in this movie either, but that's a casting that I'm like, Okay, what if they made this movie in the Jason Siegel freaks and geeks are Yeah, give me that, give me some James Franco and Jason Seagall and whomever in the South.
Speaker 1: But let's let's go let's go back to this a little bit. Go back twenty five years Pizza movie is made. Yeah, starring Siegel and Franco. Yeah, that would have been I think that would have been absolutely hilarious. You could have thrown Sandler in this movie. You could have thrown there's a handful of people that I think would be Rogan, like instead of Siegel, where it's Rogan and Franco because we know they I'm.
Speaker 2: Sure, Yeah, yeah, oh absolutely, Franco could be the Dustin surrogate and yeah, or not Frank.
Speaker 1: Character.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that would have been so much. Yet but again we're biased. But like again, I it's this is the most confused I've been reviewing a movie because it's like, do I recommend it? It's free, It's an hour and a half of your time that you'll never get back.
Speaker 1: It's only free if you paid for the service. Yeah, but I count that as free.
Speaker 2: As one state senator says, they lost a few IQ points, but there were a few laughs to be had, and I feel like that's probably better than I could do to describe it.
Speaker 1: I like, let me do let me do mine first. Yeah, okay, I'm going to give it a four. Oh, I know, all right, just want to make sure that we weren't on the same page. Yeah, I want it because I didn't want you to come out and say four and be like, well, I gotta go way lower than that now.
Speaker 2: No, dude, I was gonna because, as you know, a six to me means I paid attention till the end, and I did, but I was teetering, so like I was in like the five and a half to six range. Is where I have this right now, because I there's things to like. There's way more than a four things to like in the movie.
Speaker 1: Really, I think it may come back to our like you said, are the different experiences twenty maybe I also just, I mean just some of this was just it was too out there for me. And that's the old man of me speaking, you know whatever, not say I didn't enjoy it. If I didn't enjoy it, all would have gotten like a one like there. They had its moments. I obviously had a problem with the casting as well, But I do think for these guys to have their uh Brian mclaney and Nick coachure to have this as they're like launching pad into directing a feature length film. Very excited to see what comes of that. Yeah, there's a little bit of Lord and Miller to them, Like we talked about Lord and Miller directing Project Tail Mary Sure and those guys, I mean there is established as you can get when you're direct. But and like anything those guys do, I will see I think these guys are on that track as well, and we'll see what happens with over your dead body. But I didn't even know these guys did it, And now that I know that they do, I'm feeling really good about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you could talk me into it, we'd have we'd have an episode in between. We got to figure out here, But I mean you can Yeah, into it. But yeah, so that's our thoughts on pizza movie. I say check it out Bulky a little bit differently. Yeah, I don't think you're missing anything, especially like if you were fun in your twenties, maybe given, yeah, and see what you think about it. But yeah, I'll be interested to hear what you think.
Speaker 1: By the way, did you look at the ratings?
Speaker 2: Oh? Yeah, only just moments ago.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: You know what's crazy is critics liked it more than audiences, really, seventy eight to sixty six, So audiences are only sixty six on them. Yeah. Interesting. Yeah, and again I'm willing to bet what's funny is the first one is a zero out of four. You never see zeros and it was My goodness, does it flail when brought to life on the screen in a collection of pointless and random, hallucinatory digressions that mean nothing and go nowhere? Like that kind of sounds again, at least Bulky can give it a zero. This is why it's better than a zero. This is why we're better because there's always a slight optimism in the way that we do these, even when we're kind of like, mah, not for me, But I can see who might like this, and it's just that they're younger than us. Unfortunately, time waits for No Man or Woman. This has better reviews than the Super Mario Brothers movie. Uh, that's surprising to me. Yeah, okay. Now, as far critics not audiences, audiences are ninety five percent. We are as simple breed go on, what was your Now? As far as what.
Speaker 1: We would do this next episode, I don't know how you feel about Faces of Death if it works out or.
Speaker 2: We Yeah, i'd have to see because there's very limited screen time and it's hard for me to squeeze it in. But if we can figure that out, i'd be I'd be down, But I don't matter.
Speaker 1: I don't know if you'd be down for this because it's not the type of movie that we would get, and I don't really know. I don't know how much fun it would be to break this down. But the Lorne Michael's biography comes out.
Speaker 2: This yayh Yeah, that's a push. I'm going to see it regardless because I love it.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 2: If you see it, you're like, oh, this will be good. Can I don't know if it was how good a content it would be. Have we ever done no like, that doesn't mean if that's why everybody did everything, we'd never do anything new. I just I feel like there's better uses of our time. Now.
Speaker 1: There is a wide release movie coming.
Speaker 2: Out called Normal.
Speaker 1: Have you heard about this? Yeah, but I forget centers on a temporary small town sheriff. Yeah.
Speaker 2: It covers dark chista, a local robbery. Sign me up? Is that?
Speaker 1: Is that? Is that out this week?
Speaker 2: That comes out this weekend? It just looks like Nobody. I'm gonna be honest, it looks like the plot to Nobody, but whatever Nobody was good, Like, I'd be willing to give it a shot. It might be generic. I have a feeling it's going to be generic, but I'm willing to Probably will Odin Kirk, he's an artist, though he's more of an artist than people give him credit for. Lena Hetty, Okay, Henry Winkler, this is gonna be good. And then I don't know any of the other people. That's fine, that's normal is what we're going with. Yeah, why not? I'm good with it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And then and then we can revisit. Maybe we'll Faces of Death might go the way of the Scream seven again.
Speaker 2: We can catch it once it's available in a reasonable way, are we going to Uh? I feel like we should probably do the Michael Jackson biopic. I do, and that's when that's coming. You think they're gonna get dark with it. I don't know how you do a Michael because it seems so uplifting in the trailers. I'm like, you're not going to touch on it.
Speaker 1: Coleman Domingo, I believe, plays Michael Jackson's father in this. Uh and uh listen if you've seen Euphoria and you've seen some of the other films.
Speaker 2: That the sixteen year old girl? So did I tell you that joke? Okay?
Speaker 1: So Coman Dimingo hosted SNL this past week and was it.
Speaker 2: This past week?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: This is past week.
Speaker 1: And he said I've been acting since the nineties and he listed all his things, you know that he's done, and people are They still come up to me and people are like, where do I know you from? And I say, well, if you're if you are. I can't remember how he framed it, but he's like, if you're blah blah blah blah blah, you probably see me in Fear of the Walking Dead.
Speaker 2: If you're a girl.
Speaker 1: Under the age of twenty or a creepy guy over the age of thirty. You probably know me from you and I don't care. Call me creepy or whatever. Euphoury A season premiere was this past Sunday night.
Speaker 2: It was awesome. I loved it.
Speaker 1: It was great. It was fantam. There's a time jump, and these kids aren't in high school anymore. They have jobs and real life. Yeah, I think it's great. I I'm here for it. I had never caught it. Didn't ensnare me.
Speaker 2: But I'm also behind on stuff that I would like to see, Like I haven't seen any of this new Game of Throne show. I haven't said. Oh did you hear that they might be canceling season two? Why?
Speaker 1: This is insane stuff. Yeah, so you're talking about Night of the Seven Kingdoms. Yeah, they already got renewed for season two. This is among the most highest debuted shows and.
Speaker 2: HBO maxiustraw the actors.
Speaker 1: No, has nothing to do with the actors. They were shooting season two and they were shooting it in I gotta remember if I hope I'm telling this correctly, They shot part of it wherever, and then they were moving the production to someplace in Spain that's known for like droughts or whatever, so it was kind of like a barren type of there was a flood in this area while they were filming that set, Like the whole set is underwater right now. Wow, and they may have to cancel season two.
Speaker 2: That series might get canceled over this. Wow.
Speaker 1: Showrunner said that he thought that he could get I mean again, this is the showrunner. I could get twelve to fifteen years out of this this show you know, which you know, it's all based on the Duncan egg stories from Game of Thrones or whatever. And he thought, because of this eggon character that's still very little, he's like ten, ten years old, nine years whatever, that you could take this up until he's in a full of grown adult in his mid twenties and take a year out of the area.
Speaker 2: Stark approach kind of yeah.
Speaker 1: But actually do it like you remember Boyhood, the Richard Linchader, Like do like that thing where you were actually watching this actor grow up on film, which would be kind of cool. But yeah, so I don't know what's gonna happen. It's in limbo now. I think this is reactionary stuff. I can't believe that you would just cancel such a highly rated show based on your set is underwater.
Speaker 2: But they got to figure out what they're gonna do with the set. Like it's crazy, and you scoff at four fifteen years of and you don't scoff, but you're like, Okay, he's a showrunner. Take it with a grain of salt. I remember in season four of The Walking Dead, the showrunners said, we have fourteen seasons in mind, and like, realistically it's still on not The Walking Dead, get that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I remember it was like season eight, season nine, after Nagan was defeated.
Speaker 2: I think Scott M.
Speaker 1: Gimple said, you know, twenty seasons we could easily do. Now there is a lot of fatigue. Obviously they got rid of all these other supplementary characters, and then Megan and Maggie had their spin off, Darryl and Carroll had their spin off, Rick and Michon had their spin off.
Speaker 2: You had the I think there's a movie in production right now, or that might have been a spruit.
Speaker 1: There's I don't know what to think anymore. I know the Darryl Dixon thing. The next season is the last season, Okay, I know that I heard that Andrew Lincoln was working on coming back and wrapping things up with Norman Retis, with Jeffrey Dean Morgan, where all these storylines could come back into one and maybe that would be the film that they would do. I'd watch that. I mean, I would imagine that these eric, these actors are probably getting sick of playing the I mean, Andrew Lincoln left the show once already because he was sick of it, right, So I got to imagine that they're probably getting tired.
Speaker 2: Isn't that funny how that stuff works? Like you and I would do anything to get a fourteen year paid gig like that, But it's just like any other thing that goes on too long, like what you're thrail to break into Hollywood, and then you're pissed.
Speaker 1: That it's the only thing you're known for in Hollywood. And it's just I think, and I'm not speaking out of turn here, I think I might feel the same way as them. Once I've experienced that, I might be like, yeah, I got to do something else creatively, even if it's not as good, and it probably wouldn't be as good.
Speaker 2: But think about it, You're twenty five years old, Jennifer Aniston. You're like, we got this show, friends, why don't you give it away? And they're like, yeah, I'll do anything to get into Hollywood. And then like season seven rules around, like unless you pay me twenty four million dollars a year. But listen, it's pro athletes do the same thing. Yep, Recording artists do the same thing. I'm not hating. I just think it's an interesting psychological thing that's just like this thing that's millions of people would kill to be a part of the other thing.
Speaker 1: To Ben and I say, I brought this up with you before. You know, some of these teenagers that are going into the NBA or whatever where they have this high entitlement, you know, sort of.
Speaker 2: Attitude.
Speaker 1: I don't necessarily blame them for it, because I think the best it like, the better you get at something, and the the more on the long tail you become of the point one percent of somebody who can do something that you know that popular culture appreciates. The more people you're gonna get around you telling you how awesome you are, and telling you how great you are at this, and telling you like how you need to be doing as much as you can to make as much money as you can day and I see it.
Speaker 2: I can't. I can't tell you this because you're living.
Speaker 1: But but at some point, and you can tell me, at some point, when people tell you how great you are, you start to believe and and and then when you get to the height of primetime television, when you get to the height of professional basketball, like, it's really really difficult to stay grounded.
Speaker 2: I agree, I would, I would completely. I can't even imagine. Justin Bieber actually said something very similar, says, what would you do at twenty one with one hundred million dollars being the largest musician in America? And I'm like, oh, I probably would have been a bigger jerk than you were.
Speaker 1: Actually, not that I think about it, it's very interesting. Fernando Mendoza, the uh expected number one pick of the draft NFL Draft next week. His nickname, his nickname is LinkedIn because he's got this uh you know, he's he skipped some sort of like he skipped the combine because he was doing some sort of not apprenticeship, what do you call it, an internship in New York at some financial company or whatever. And he's got this very polished professional person so people start calling him LinkedIn, you know. Yeah, And so I was reading this from one of the scouts, and what hasn't this guy done?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was a no star recruit, won the Heisman, first undefeated season in college football history in the current you know, college football playoff at a non blue blood school, and now he's been the number one overall pick of the draft. Like what this guy has? Andy's going to be a huge bust and hold on, just hold on. But he's mowed down everything in his He's shattered it, like he's done everything. And I was reading this about a scout said this the other day. He doesn't know how this polished, super nice LinkedIn personality is gonna go over in NFL locker rooms. You can talk about his shortcomings on the field. I get it.
Speaker 2: You know. They also argue it's a new NFL, like I think it fits in more now than it would have even ten years now. I don't either, I either. I don't at all.
Speaker 1: I think that the personalities in NFL locker rooms are still as strong as they ever are, as they ever were. There's just a situation where they become more muted publicly. But I still think everything you think goes on in those locker rooms, it probably still does. To it again for.
Speaker 2: Sure, I hope you guys are all sticking around for this because we're opening this can of worms. Now. I don't think I think it's I shouldn't say it's not any different. It's obviously more professional and maybe a more classic way. But to explain to me the difference between what he's doing and what Juju Smith Schuster is doing, it seems like self promotion. It seems like get your name out there. He Juju was doing the TikTok dances, building the Juju Smith to brand around being the player. I don't idea well, how is he building his brand? Well, because he's LinkedIn. That's literally it's networking and building a brand. It's what but I mean, but that's it's very different than what all the players are doing. It's just a different approach.
Speaker 1: But you could say that Peyton Manning was doing that twenty five years ago, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: So I don't think. I don't think it will be his off putting in the locker rooms. I think the fact that he sucks will be off putting. I think, Okay, let me let me, let me reframe this. I think there is a certain level of suspected Russell Wilson Okay, yeah, see, non genuine what do you call that? Yeah, disingenuous, disingenuous stuff from him. Whether that's true or not, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know, but I think there are some people that think that there's something like this going on.
Speaker 2: And listen, when you're.
Speaker 1: Winning doesn't really matter exactly, but when you're not winning, Yeah, you got that cold awakening once you get there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, what did we agree on for next week? Good?
Speaker 1: Good?
Speaker 2: One more thing just because we're all here and we didn't say anything about Marvel.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, have you seen the focus group stuff yet? No? All right, I'm gonna read a thing to you, okay, and I'm gonna go for Doomsday.
Speaker 2: Oh they're focus grouping this, dude. Everyone is loving it. Really, they're literally comparing it to Okay, I'm just gonna read it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I've been told, holy hold on, where is this coming from that you're reading discussing film?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 2: So, I've been told, holy f Doom Avengers. Doomsday is going to have people turning away from the screen. This ship is dark horror Dark. Take it from me. This movie is going to make people cry, scream, and make people leave theaters in complete silence. That is just one of the ways that people are breaking this down. If I get rid of the word dark. I saw these and I was gonna send them to you, just text them.
Speaker 1: Now, this is focused stuff, So we don't know if this stuff is gonna make it into the fire.
Speaker 2: Well no, so okay, So we're at a point right now they are doing reshoots and Marvel has already gone out of the way to say we are not reshooting for plot at this point. The only reason they're reshooting is to add more fan service and more cool shit because they are saying it tested on the same level as Infinity War, and the audience said it is the Russo Brothers best marvelom.
Speaker 1: That's incredible. Man, this is being portrayed right now. It sucks that we have to wait, yeah, I mean more months. You know, this thought just crossed my mind. I'm like, really, I gotta sit and trudge through a Spider Man for before I can get to this.
Speaker 2: Blows. Whatever Daredevil's doing out of the water has been great. Oh absolutely, absolutely can't recommend it enough. Pizza movie not so much. We'll talk to you guys next week with normal. Thanks for putting up with that.