Speaker 1: Hello, everybody, Welcome to the buck Eye Weekly Podcast. I'm Tony Daman here as always with Tom or Tom. Well, that was a pre pause pause. How's it going, Tony?
Speaker 2: Just to answer the unanswered question here, I'm expecting two people to contribute to this podcast. That may be giving you too much credit, but I'm trying to be up you know, upbeat this time of year.
Speaker 3: And give you as much credit as I can.
Speaker 1: Boy, wow, Tom, but this is gonna be a tough show for you, and I appreciate you being a hero, if not a warrior all of this stuff to power through this show and give me credit at the outset and we'll see if the credit remains or you may have to take it away at some point. And then we're I talk right now. You're probably gonna be like, you know what, we should edit some of this out, but no, we want to talk about the how deep Ohio State is going to go on offense. And this is not you know, how many guys are going to play against Kent State. This is basically the regular rotation, position by position, who is going to play, whether that's Texas Iowa games that are still in doubt and are not the blowout type games, so players are going to play regularly. When they're out there, it doesn't catch you off guard. It may catch you off guard the first time, but then you're like, oh, okay, well this this game is still in doubt and he's playing meaningful minutes. So I wanted to go position by position. We'll start offensively with this show and Tom, how much time do we need to spend on a quarterback?
Speaker 3: One? Next position?
Speaker 1: Running backs? Tom? This is an interesting one because they brought in Jakobe Jackson. They didn't bring him to sit, they didn't bring him to carry the ball twenty times. But also like, he's got some skills, he's got some things that you want. He's a veteran. He's done it against Texas. So while he played against Texas, I tend to think so because he's done it, he's is he the only guy on the team who's done it before? In terms of the running backs, Yeah, there's that. So against like a Texas, Tom, I'm gonna say comfortably, four running backs will play.
Speaker 2: That's what I would have as well. And is it possible that one of them doesn't play? But you four running backs against Iowa or in Illinois, a couple weeks later. Yeah. Absolutely, But I think you're looking at Bo Jackson, Isaiah West, Jakobe Jackson, Legend Bay all getting at least a few snaps. And it may be sort of situational. Maybe hey, you need you want to put Legend Bay out there. Maybe it's as a decoy, maybe it's as a run the Legend Bay do something cool, play, whatever it is. I think you're going to see four guys out there in meaningful snaps in the first month of the season.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And we always use the example of Bo Jackson not playing against Texas last year because there was just concern and you didn't want to throw a true freshmen out there against Texas. So that's why using Texas this year as an example is, and it can't be the only example because it's a little too a little too constricted in terms of as we saw last year, what happens against Texas isn't necessarily what happens against the rest of the schedule, especially as things go on. When Iver shocked to see Terbol Rodgers against in Iowa or Maryland. No, but also I'm talking guys that are gonna play basically every game, and I think those four, barring anything unforeseen, like they will be part of the regular lineup. Receiver gets really interesting to me, and I'll let you go first. I'll get your thoughts, and I'll let you know how right or wrong you are. I think as I'm talking over you, I think we know the guys that will be out there. Can some other guys get in that group and make them even deeper?
Speaker 2: I feel like my default answer here is six guys, and that's a little deeper than they've run the last couple of years. There's been a lot of years where it was four or five guys at the wide receiver position.
Speaker 3: I think they've got a little bit more depth this year. I don't have a super super high.
Speaker 2: Degree of confidence on naming exactly the six guys you're gonna see probably six against Texas.
Speaker 3: But is that going to be?
Speaker 2: You know, where where does Kyle Parker have been in there? We just we haven't really seen Kyle Parker this month. Before this fall, I would have said Kyle Parker for sure, is he in that group? We just we haven't seen a lot of him this month, so we you know, we really don't know. But you know, I think you've got Jeremiah Smith, Brandon Nis, Dev McEwan, Chris Henry. I think Brock Boyd's in that conversation. It may be Kyle Parker and maybe Dez Jones, who sounds like he's come on strong in the last week or so. Could be Philip Bell. You know, later in the year, we could be talking about JR. Quaden Guildford. I think that's probably more of a well we'll see in October or November kind of of conversation. But I think you're going to see a rotation from Cortez Hankton that's going to end up around six. But the specific names could vary a little bit.
Speaker 3: Week to week.
Speaker 1: You mentioned Jerre Quaiden Guildford and the eventual rise that we could see from him. TJ. Alford this past week mentioned him and said he's gonna got some Jamison Williams Garrett Wilson stuff to him, and I'm like, wow, you're quite the receiver officionado for one. But also those are some pretty bold wide receiver names. But I mean, you watched the Hottle highlights and you can see where that's coming from. But yeah, I think he's gonna be one shock if he's playing against Maryland or something like that. I think it's gonna be six guys against Texas, and I think it's gonna be the four veterans and then Chris Henry Junior and Rock Boyd as guys that when are out there, it's not a surprise, and know you'll look and you'll see like you'll be on the field, Jack and I will be up in the press box and basically just keep an eye out, like Okay, who's out there now. And that's what we're gonna be doing for every position because the first game is gonna be a little bit of a lie, the second game will be some really confined truth, and then beyond that the truth will spread in terms of who plays and who doesn't. But if you're out there in this game, then you are. You are in the rotation. So that's why I wanted to kind of go through this exercise. Tight ends. I think you're gonna see Nate and like against Texas, Iowa, Oregon, you're gonna see Nate Roberts. You're gonna see Mason Williams. You're gonna see Hunter Wilson, You're gonna see Bennett Christian and I mean Max LeBlanc from what we've seen this side of Good Camp. But I think those four I'm comfortable saying we'll be out there. Everybody that we've talked to in terms of the tight ends has said that this room was deeper than they were last year. We know, back in twenty twenty four, they played five guys at any given time, whether that was Patrick Kurd or yes, Patrick Gord being the full back type or whatever. They just they all had their roles and I think this year they're going to have their roles as well. But they also, like, you got more guys that can do two things rather than just three guys that can do their one thing. So I think four, at least four is a pretty comfortable answer for me.
Speaker 3: I think four is the right answer.
Speaker 2: And this is a little like wide receiver, where the four names might vary a little bit as the season goes along, but I think those are I think four is the correct number, and I think I would sort of start the year with the four names that you mentioned, and you know, maybe Max LeBlanc ends up earning a bigger role and that takes snaps away from someone else. You're not going to be able to play five tight ends. Twenty snap siege like that's just that's not going to happen, So he will probably be I think Keenan Bailey is going to want to get of these as many of these guys on the field to do, you know, the individual stuff that they're the best at as much as he possibly can.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I think four is a good number there for the tight end room on.
Speaker 1: The offensive line. Ideally, if everything goes perfect, perfect against Texas against whomever, five guys that's all it's going to play. Now if they go actually ideally would be ten, I guess is what we should say. Ideally the first team is out there for three quarters max. Against the Texas longboards, and then because Ohio State is up by so many points, you want to go ahead and get the reserves in there. But how many offensive linemen do you expect? We've seen the rotation at guard before in any given game that is close to it is a say it's a matchup game. What are you expecting to see from the offensive line.
Speaker 2: I think you've got a possibility of six guys.
Speaker 3: I think you're gonna have.
Speaker 2: I think they're going to be looking for ways to maybe get Josh Padilla out there, and.
Speaker 3: Maybe that's giving him a drive here and there, or maybe.
Speaker 2: That's using him in that Bison package that they've shown before in short yardage. I feel like he is close enough to being ready to play that you're going to be looking for ways to get him on the field. And you know, we've talked about this on other shows before. Maybe that's just giving someone a rest for a drive. Maybe that's just giving him a chance to just you know, get up to speed on certain things. This may not be in every week thing, but I think he's close enough to being.
Speaker 3: A starter that they're going to be looking for ways to work him in there.
Speaker 2: This is not the Jim Tressel era the twos get a drive with the you know in the second quarter, like we're not, we're not talking about that, but I think this is going This is close enough to a starting five plus one that you'll probably see that does that maybe get like a Jake Cook on the field or something like that, or you know something, maybe it's possible gave Ben Sickle someone like that.
Speaker 3: You may see them at times in this kind of that kind of role as well.
Speaker 2: But I think right now between I'm kind of between five and six here with Josh Pidia kind of being the swing guy.
Speaker 1: It is amazing twenty years ago when Ohio State went into Austin knowing that the year before, losing Texas cost them basically you know, that was maybe maybe eliminated them that one year later, they'd go into Austin and throw out the second team offensive line and I think the second quarter and they'd go and lead them down on a touchdown drive. And that was something that Jim Drussell always did. And uh, you know early in the season to give everybody an opportunity. I'm not expecting that, but yeah, I could see six six man line. I don't know if that means Josh Padilla goes in at right guard and then Austin Seerveld and Philip Daniels each kick out one spot. So you've got like Phillip Daniels as the extra tackle type of thing. But yeah, I think, yeah, I if five guys, if six guys play, it's not gonna catch me off guard. It's not gonna catch shouldn't catch anybody off guard. It's just an added feature to that offensive line. When you've got six guys that they feel can play. Now that's up to Josh Padilla to show that he can play. So so there you go, some some rotational discussion for you on who we think is going to play in the bigger games. And that's we're for focus maybe maybe more on September October, and we'll see if things get deeper as the season goes or if they kind of get rained in because well, we tried to give you a role like you know last year, Blatkinson being out there and then less and less as the season goes. So that's always interesting to think the thing to watch, who plays less, who plays more, and if you want to find all of that out watched during the season, we'll be talking about over at Buckeye Insiders dot com, talking about snap counts, talking about production, talking about efficiency rates. If you're into analytics, we've got that there. If you're just into football, we're definitely talking about that x's and o's, recruiting, all kinds of stuff. I would love to see you over there. It is the absolute best way to support what we do. So we invite you there Buckeye Insiders dot Com that we'll do it from here. Thank you all for tuning in, and we will talk to you all later. This time, what else you.
Speaker 2: Let it through away? Don't no one tell me I wish it never meant nothing to me.
Speaker 1: Where I, where my Fay.
Speaker 3: If you can tell me, that's the more it's all right. We could see your currently no