Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: App KFI and kost HD two Los Angeles, Orange County.
Speaker 3: It's time for your morning wake up call.
Speaker 4: Here's Amy King.
Speaker 3: Good morning.
Speaker 5: It's five o'clock, straight up. This is your wake up call.
Speaker 1: For Wednesday, hump Day already, February nineteenth. I'm Amy King. Thanks for getting your day started with us. Whether you're listening on the radio at AM six forty or on the app, the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 5: App, we appreciate you being here. Got a great day planned.
Speaker 1: Lots of fun stuff coming up on wake up Call, Lots of informative stuff too.
Speaker 5: Here's what's ahead.
Speaker 1: The La City Council has postponed a vote on a proposal that would get tenants impacted economically by the wildfires last month, eviction protections. The council said yesterday still needs some more work, so they will address the issue on March fourth. Opponents say the burden on landlords is too great. Dozens of residents have blocked trucks carrying debris from the Palisades fire from entering the Calabasis landfill on Tuesday, residents are protesting the use of the landfill, saying the toxic waste coming from the fire zones will be too close to schools and homes and poses a health risk. Hearing with the Justice Department and lawyers for New York City Mayor Eric Adams is scheduled for today to talk about the motion to dismiss bribery and corruption charges against the mayor. A former US attorney who refused to dismiss those charges and then quit says they were only being dropped because Adams is now supporting President Trump's deportation policies. More hostages are about to be released by Hamas. It's not going to be a happy homecoming for all of them. We're going to be talking to Abcizure Donna Miller about that. In just a couple of minutes. Facebook is going to start purging some of your content. KTLA's tech reporter Rich Demiro is going to join us to tell us about that. Also, there's a new smart watch coming to a wrist near you, a modern day pretty Woman. I'm on it, Amy's on it. That's coming up at the bottom of the hour. I think you might want to take a listen in case you haven't seen this one yet. Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. The cost of the fire and Pacific palisades are piling up for the City of La.
Speaker 3: City Council when Katie Arislovsky says she's worried if there will even be a FEMA to offer reimbursement to the city, citing what she called chaos in Washington, d c.
Speaker 2: Or.
Speaker 3: She says the federal government would attach strings to the money that.
Speaker 5: Are so onerous that we may decide, you know what, we can't accept.
Speaker 3: We can't accept that the latest estimates from the city, or that it has suffered two hundred and twenty million dollars in damage from the fire and more than sixty million dollars in personnel cost. City officials say they hope most of that is covered by FEMA reimbursements. Michael monks KFI News the.
Speaker 1: La City Council is going to take up another attempt to expand eviction protections to those who claim they lost income because of the recent wildfires. Council President Marquis Harris Dawson says the issue is going to be brought back in two weeks.
Speaker 6: There are solutions to be had, and we'll work with the members of this horseshoe and with the maker of the motion to come up with something that I think accomplishes all those things and does it in time before people are facing eviction.
Speaker 1: A similar proposal was shut down last week because some members said there wasn't enough data showing that people facing eviction away from the fire areas. They also express concerns about people possibly taking advantage of the program like they did during the pandemic. California's Attorney general has charged a real estate agent and a landlord with price gouging a person who had to leave their home because of the Eton fire. Attorney General Rob Bonta says a fire victim moved into a rental property in Hermosa each and the two charged bomped up the rent by thirty six percent. The governor's emergency order limits rent increases to no more than ten percent. A judge has ruled the state's lawsuit against Norwalk over homeless housing can move forward.
Speaker 3: A judge made the ruling on Tuesday and also dismissed the Norwalk City Council as a defendant. The state is challenging the city after it passed the noordinance last year, putting a moratorium on new homeless shelters and other housing projects.
Speaker 1: Kfi's Daniel Martindale says state officials have accused Norwalk of violating state law. Egg prices are taking a beating. The USDA says wholesale egg prices have jumped forty cents over the last thirty days. A dozen eggs now cost distributors seven dollars and forty four cents. The price is expected to climb with shortages continuing and distributors passing the costs along to consumers. The rising number of bird flu cases being blamed for ongoing egg shortages. Let's say good morning now to ab Jordana Miller in Jerusalem, So Jordanah. More hostages are about to be released, but for a lot of families, it's not going to be a happy homecoming.
Speaker 5: Tell us about that, please.
Speaker 7: Well. Tomorrow. Hamas says they will release four bodies of hostages that died during their captivity, and Hamas says that will include the Bebus family. The young Israeli mother in her thirties. Many people remember her specific kidnapping video where she looked terrified holding two young babies with red hair, an eleven month old Fear and her two year old Ril. Hamas says they will be returned in body bags and Israel's bracing for that. Another older Israeli in his eighties is expected also to come back dead. And then on Saturday, Hamas says they will not release just three, but actually six, all the remaining live hostages, living hostages from Phase one. That will include four hostages from this current war and two Israelis that were kidnapped more than a decade ago by Hamas. So Tomorrow is going to be a very tough day for Israelis. Saturday will be a happier day, especially for some of these families. Three of the male hostages that are coming out on Saturday were young men in their twenties, kidnapped from the Nova Music Festival, which he'll remember is where Hamas gunned down over three hundred Israelis.
Speaker 1: Okay, and the release of the bodies and more hostages, why is that being stepped up?
Speaker 5: Because aren't they They were supposed to be released like three at a time, right right.
Speaker 7: The bodies, it turns out, were part of the original deal. We just didn't know about it. It had not been disclosed, so that's not a change. We can understand. It wasn't publicized because there are some bodies coming out before live hostages, but maybe to you know, to ward off criticism. It's happening literally just twenty four hours before the live hostages are coming out. And then the deal is expedited because Hamas really wants more caravans and more heavy machinery to come into the Gaza strip because a there's nowhere for many people to live. Remember, ninety percent of Gosins were displaced in the war and seventy five percent of the buildings are damaged or destroyed. So they want caravans and tends to come in and they need heavy equipment to start moving the rubble around. So Israel used its leverage, if you will, because the caravans can't get in unless this Israel inspects them and allows them in to push Hamas to let out three more hostages early, so they're coming out a week early. And then the side now amy are engaged in talks on Phase two, which we do suspect will go on for some time, and they're very complicated discussions here, negotiations a lot at stake. Hamas has to give up control of the Gaza Strip, not only you know, as a military presence, but governing the Gaza Strip, and the Israeli Army has to withdraw from the Egyptian Gaza border and take its troops out of Gaza. So there obviously those are going to be tough decisions for both sides to take. But if they don't remember, there's still dozens of hostages in the Gaza Strip, including thirty that are still believed to be alive, most of them young men, including one American.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, at least they're talking about Phase two. But where you're right, I mean it, Hamas has to give up control when they're sitting there before they when they parade these hostages before releasing them and saying one we won I mean, there are they really going to go and leave?
Speaker 8: Right?
Speaker 7: They're showing no signs that they're going to try to you know, that they're going to give up control of the Gaza Strip. They're clearly trying to survive and hold on to power. But I don't think you at the US and Israel and its allies, even the Arab countries here in the region, you know, they don't. They don't want Hamas to maintain control of the Gaza strips. So, you know, I think it's just a matter of time before Hamas, you know, gives up its control. And it may take a few months, it may even take another round of fighting by Israel. We're going to have to wait and see, all right.
Speaker 1: ABC's j Donna Miller in Jerusalem. Thanks so much for the information. We'll talk soon.
Speaker 7: Thanks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. A federal judge has refused a request from fourteen attorneys general to temporarily block Elon Musk and the Department of Government Efficiency from accessing government data systems or laying off workers. The ags argued the power granted by A two Musk by President Trump is unconstitutional. The judge yesterday found there are legitimate questions about Musk's authority, but said there is no evidence of grave legal harm that would justify a temporary restraining order. The US and Russia say they are open to continuing discussions on ending the war in Ukraine. ABC's Britt Clinant says Secretary of State Marco Rubio stresses the goal is a fair, enduring, and sustainable end to the conflict, but delegates from the two nations have also agreed to address irritance in the bilateral relationship.
Speaker 8: It's not clear what they meant by irritants.
Speaker 1: Rubio says both nations will create high level teams to support peace negotiations. Ukraine was not included in the talks this week. The president of Ukraine's his President Trump is living in a Russian disinformation space. His comment in response to what Trump said yesterday following the meeting with Russian officials in Saudi Arabia. Zelensky complained about not being invited to the talks. Trump said Ukraine had already been there for three years, and Trump said, in his words, you should have ended it after three years.
Speaker 5: You should have never started it. You could have made a deal.
Speaker 1: President Trump assigned an executive order intended to reduce the cost of in vitro fertilization. The order says Americans need reliable access to IVF and more affordable options. It says the cost per cycle can range from twelve to twenty five thousand dollars. Trump's order calls for a list of policy recommendations on protecting IVF access and reducing out of pocket and health plan costs within ninety days. Aviation experts say investigators will consider weather conditions, possible human error, and maybe an aircraft malfunction as they try to figure out what caused a Delta Airlines plane to crash in Toronto. ABC's Geobanitez is the plane came down fast on Monday and landed hard.
Speaker 9: It's landing gear appearing to collapse, the right wing striking the ground, sparking flames, the plane flipping onto its back.
Speaker 1: At the time of the landing, winds are gusting up to forty miles per hour. All eighty passengers and crew survive. Pope Francis has pneumonia on both lungs. The Vatican updated his condition yesterday. Francis has been in the hospital since Friday. All of the Pope's plans have been canceled for the rest.
Speaker 5: Of the week.
Speaker 1: The US has created Space Force, and now China says it's recruiting for a planetary defense force to deal with a thread of asteroids colliding with Earth. Sixteen people are going to be hired to do near Earth asteroid monitoring and to research early warning systems. China's State Administration of Science, Technology and Industry for National Defense Mouthful says applicants have to be under thirty five and maintain a firm political stance in line with the ruling Chinese Communist Party and its leader. NASA says there's a three hundred foot wide asteroid that could actually collide with Earth Earth. There's about a two and a half percent chance of it hitting Earth in December of twenty thirty two. Okay, here's something sweet to eat. Krispy Kreme and Hulu. I just found out about this, so partnered up for a movie theater snack donut. Actually, there's a bunch of them, and they're available now for a limited time. And of course Krispy Kreme, they don't do any advertising. They just go and deliver donuts to every radio station in the market and then we all fall for it and we all talk about it. But so there's a blue raspberry slush donut, I know that sounds really There's the cookie dough Superstar donut that sounds like it could be kind of good. So it's the unglazed shell filled with chocolate butter cream filling dipped in chocolate flavored icing in the top with gold glitter sprinkles and cookie dough bites.
Speaker 4: Can't go wrong.
Speaker 1: Can't go wrong with that one. Yeah, there's the candy double feature donut. That is, it's a white icing on it and it's got you know, little mini Eminem's many chocolate chips.
Speaker 5: That sounds okay, okay.
Speaker 1: And then the one I think sounds gross but looks really cute is the caramel popcorn donut. So it's a donut and then it's got the white frosting with red stripes on it, so it looks like a popcorn bucket. And then it's got pieces of popcorn, and then it's got a caramel popcorn cream filling.
Speaker 5: I have that one.
Speaker 1: I'm going to taste it, but anyway, Krispy Cream Hulu Movie Theater Snack Donuts available for a limited time. A new app is helping people in southern California track immigration and customs enforcement activity in their neighborhoods. The apps creators say it aims to increase awareness and safety by allowing a limited number of users to report and view ice sightings. Critics say it interferes with federal immigration efforts. A state review board has rejected recent updates to California's low carbon fuel standards that are expected to spike gas prices by as much as fifty cents a gallon. The Office of Administrative Law said parts of the regulations are unclear and need to be revised. KARB has one hundred and twenty days to revise and re submit the updates. Nicole Kidman and Keith Urban's home in Beverly Crest has been broken into. The person got in by smashing a glass door Friday night, Valentine's Day and then apparently ransacked the home. It's not clear if anything was taken. The couple wasn't there at the time. No arrests have been made. Let's say good morning now to the host of Rich on Tech on KFI KTLA's tech reporter Rich DeMuro.
Speaker 4: Morning, Rich, Hey, good morning to Amy.
Speaker 5: So we got a lot to get to.
Speaker 1: So we're going to start off with a I tell us what humane is and who now has control of it?
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 10: So Humane was kind of one of the biggest flops of last year. This company was a startup. They made this cool little AI pin. So it was kind of a wearable computer, ambient computing. You stick it to your clothes.
Speaker 4: It has a camera on it.
Speaker 10: You can ask it questions, it can translate stuff, it can take pictures of things, kind of like everyone's figuring out what the anti smartphone is. And this was expensive six hundred ninety nine dollars and at least a twenty dollars monthly fee. Anyway, it all flopped, didn't really do well because it was just not ready for primetime. HP has acquired that company. Humane they're going to shut down that pin. And really they acquired this company for all of the AI smarts, and so I expect to see a whole lot of AI and all of the new HP products like printers and laptops and computers.
Speaker 4: That's what's happening here.
Speaker 1: Okay, So they acquired all of that AI, so they basically it's already been developed and now they can apply that to their products.
Speaker 4: Is that how that happens.
Speaker 10: Yeah, they're like, we don't need this little pin thing because it didn't really do well. But we'll take all the you know, they've got like three hundred patents, they've had all this other stuff. The employees, we'll take all that. Oh okay, we can, you know. They so they'll make use of all the smarts that this company figured out. They just don't need that little pin. The sad part is if you bought one of these pins, not many people did, it's going to stop working February twenty eighth, And it's the bigger issue we've seen in the tech world of when you buy something that is like one hundred percent dependent on the Internet to function. When those cloud servers shut down, that's it. It's done.
Speaker 4: You can't use it anymore.
Speaker 10: It's not like a VCR where it'll still play a tape, you know, twenty years later.
Speaker 4: These things just won't function.
Speaker 5: You know what bugs me about all this tech.
Speaker 1: It's things like, well, I'm going to there's the humane pin and I was like, oh, is that a personal identification number? There's all these new words, and you don't know if that it's actually I'm like, oh, it's actually a pin. You know how like a mouse used to be a little rodent, Now a mouse is something different. Pins are different too, So anyway I.
Speaker 10: Should come up with the whole story of those like words that used to mean something else.
Speaker 5: I like that.
Speaker 4: I like that.
Speaker 1: So you mentioned that it was sort of like the anti smart watch er anti phone.
Speaker 5: But we do have another smart watch coming out right.
Speaker 10: Yes, So smart watches, you know, they have a place in this world. People love the Apple Watch. This is from a company called one Plus. We've talked about them before. This is their new version. Last year's watch was excellent. This is the new version of it. It's called the one plus Watch three. I'm wearing it right now. It's great. It's got a nice big screen. It runs the Android ware operating system, so it works really nicely with Android phones. It's got great battery life, which people love about it. And the big change this year from last year a little bit of a price increase thirty dollars more three hundred and thirty dollars. And the other thing is that people didn't like that the crown was not you couldn't rotate it. So there's a button that looks like a crown that you press, but you couldn't actually rotate it last year.
Speaker 4: This year you can actually rotate it.
Speaker 11: It looks great.
Speaker 10: I mean, I think the downside is there's no cellular available. And there's a cool feature called the sixty second Health Checkup that does not work in the US sadly, which I thought was like the coolest feature.
Speaker 4: On this whole thing. They're like, oh, not in the US.
Speaker 10: I'm like, oh, I did check my vascular health this morning, Amy, And how is your vascular health.
Speaker 4: My artural stiffness is good.
Speaker 5: You can check that on the watch.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I just did. Took sixty seconds.
Speaker 10: Yeah, so I don't know what that means, but clearly I'm gonna trust my watch and not go to the doctor for the next like five years.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 5: I think that might not be the goal of that stuff, but.
Speaker 4: That's okay, okay.
Speaker 5: Facebook's going to purge some of your content.
Speaker 10: Yeah, just a small note starting, well, now, if you do a Facebook Live, they're going to delete that video after thirty days.
Speaker 4: They're not going to linger forever.
Speaker 10: And I think that, you know, Facebook says most people watch live videos within the first couple of weeks, so this is not a big deal. But if you want, you can download all your old live videos before they delete them, transfer them to Google driver, Dropbox. You can convert clips, like if you say something really cool, you can convert it to a real and if you need extra time, you can go through on that individual video and get an extra six months by you know, tapping the little menu icon and say I need more time postpone this.
Speaker 1: Okay, so just so you know, be unnoticed. You got thirty days. Is that starting now?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Starting now?
Speaker 10: So that's fine because I when I search for my you know, old stuff on Instagram or on Google, I'm like, why is this old live video still lingering? It's like it's live, you don't need it there anymore. It was like in the moment.
Speaker 5: Okay, So they're just doing a little house cleaning.
Speaker 10: That's not a bad thing, right, Yeah, it doesn't cost them as much to store all those nonsense live videos.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 1: So for more information on this, you can go to Rich's tech website Rich on tech dot tv right absolutely, and you can listen to Rich right here on every Saturday from eleven to two. Rich Demiro, thank you so much, appreciate the information as always.
Speaker 4: Thanks Amy, I great day.
Speaker 5: You too.
Speaker 1: A man who was throwing rocks at passing cars in Riverside County has been shot and killed by CHP officers. CHP says they confronted the man yesterday afternoon east of State Route seventy nine in San Jacinto. Officials or officers used verbal commands and non deadly force, but the guy wouldn't stop coming toward them.
Speaker 5: That's when the shooting happened.
Speaker 1: A CalFire captain has been fatally stabbed in San Diego County. A sheriff's lieutenant says the murder is being treated as a possible case of domestic violence.
Speaker 11: Rebecca Marodi was found in Hermono home late Monday night with multiple stab wounds. Deputies got a call about an assault with the deadly weapon in the area. When they arrived, paramedics tried to save her, but she was pronounced dead at the scene.
Speaker 1: Kfi's Phil fararsas Marodi worked in Riverside County. She also served in the San Diego and San Bernardino areas.
Speaker 7: I'm guilty.
Speaker 1: Ands of rapper acep Rocky burst into screams of joy in court as a jury in La acquitted him in a shooting case. Rocky was found not guilty yesterday on two felony counts of assault with a semi automatic weapon. His lawyer, Joe Tacopina, says it was a just result.
Speaker 2: We said from.
Speaker 7: Day one he was innocent.
Speaker 12: He turned down a plea for almost no jail time because it was innocent.
Speaker 1: Ed Meyer's been found guilty. It could have been sentenced more than twenty years in prison. California has a bee problem. There aren't enough of them. The bee population is declining and that has led to an increase in beehive thefts as farmers scrambled to get enough bees to pollinate their crops. Central Valley almond farms need the bees to pollinate one and a half million acres of almond trees, and it's just about a flowering season for those almond trees. Experts say bees are dying off. They're not exactly sure why, but it could be because of pests, chemicals, diseases, or climate change. Rapper Asap Rockies been found not guilty of felony assault charges for shooting at a former friend in Hollywood in twenty twenty one. Prosecutors say the gun involved was a semi automatic weapon. Asaps defense contended the gun used was a prop gun that had blanks in it and firing it wasn't a crime.
Speaker 5: Doge has scored a win in court.
Speaker 1: A federal judge has declined to request or declined a request by fourteen state attorneys general to temporarily ban Elon Musk from accessing data at seven federal agencies and from laying off workers. The judge said the attorneys General had not shown proof that DOGE would cause irreparable harm to the States. More Americans have been socking away cash. Nearly a third of the adults surveyed by bank Rate say they have more in an emergency fund now than they did a year ago. Over half also reported having more savings set aside than credit card debt. Bank Rates CFO says people have been able to save more as inflation has come down. I bet that'll make car Joel Larsgard very happy. I'll have to tell him about that. At six oh five, its handle on the news. One of the main players has been left out of the mix in Saudi Arabia. Can bet Bill's going to have something to say about that. Amy's on Itami's on it, AMI's on it, Gamie's on it.
Speaker 5: What am I on?
Speaker 7: Well?
Speaker 1: I'm on the stream because we've got a lot of movies to watch before the awards shows. Actually a lot of award shows have already happened, but the big ones still coming up. Of course, the Academy Awards on March second, and the SAG Awards which I believe are this Sunday, I need to go check my dates, which reminds me I need to vote. So I'm watching those movies and the movie that I A lot of times, I don't know if you guys are this way, but a lot of times the list of movies, you go.
Speaker 5: What, what's that? Who's that you like?
Speaker 1: The actors, the actresses, because a lot of them are very obscure. They're not like Wicked, where everybody kind of knows what it is. So I wanted to watch some of those, and a lot of times I don't like them very much. This season has been different. I do like a lot of the nominated movies, but so this week we're focusing in on a Nora. It's nominated for everything, and it's winning lots of awards. It's streaming for rent or purchase right now, and let's see, it's on Netflix, it's on Disney Plus YouTube Prime Video, and I think it's right in about five ninety nine to rent it right now.
Speaker 5: The interesting thing about.
Speaker 1: This this movie is the way that it starts and then quickly changes, because it starts with this song.
Speaker 5: It's this great hopeful song.
Speaker 3: Good's the Greatest Day?
Speaker 5: Yeah, gonna be the greatest day of our life.
Speaker 1: And it's a catchy little tune and you're like, this is great, and then it goes you're in a strip club in New Jersey, and of course there's lots of dancers and lots of nakedness. It's built as a story about the romance between a stripper from New Jersey and a Russian oligarch's kid, So it sounds a little bit like Pretty Woman, but it's darker, with a lot more nudity and sex. And then I watched it and I'm like, oh my gosh, this is pretty Woman. They even have this negotiation on her being his girlfriend for a week. Again this is he's like twenty one years old, but he's a Russian oligarch's kid. And the negotiation where she's like, well, I want this much and he's like, no, I'll give you this month, and they much and they settle somewhere in the middle and she goes, well, I would have done it for less, and he's like, I would have paid more. I'm like, hello, Richard Gear and Julia Roberts. It's like straight out there. Aside from that, it doesn't really follow along that track, but It reminded me of that a lot, instead of the guy being a businessman. Though like Richard gear was, he's a rich kid, lives in his dad's house, plays video games, does lots of drugs. And here's what I found about this guy. There's nothing really charming about this kid. He has money, and he does have an affection for the character Annie, which is short for a nourra and she obviously desperately wants that affection and that attention. So without telling you what happens because they don't want to spoil it, it is a very interesting show. Mayhem ensues when his family finds out that he's in a relationship with Annie, and at first I was worried that it was going to be violent and devastating stuff was going to happen, just because of the whole setup with the Russians or the bad guys and the oligarchs and all that stuff. But it sort of turns out to be a Keystone Cops scenario as everyone's trying to figure out what to do about this relationship, and it's kind of fun. It's really foul mouthed, but it's also funny, and it's violent, but in a charming way. So there's lots of inconsistencies.
Speaker 5: But it works.
Speaker 1: I can see why it's nominated and if the directors and producers guilds are any indication why it might actually win an Academy Award or several. I think it's nominated for like fourteen. It's called a Nora, a modern day pretty woman, just dirtier and darker but also fun.
Speaker 5: I'm on it.
Speaker 1: I think you should be on it too, and then I'd love to hear what you think about it. I don't know, because it's a very weird movie, but it's a good one, all right. Time to get in your business with Bloomberg's Dan Schwartzmann in for Courtney Donaho all week long.
Speaker 3: Good morning Dan, Good morning Amy.
Speaker 7: How are you? Oh?
Speaker 5: Just fabulous?
Speaker 1: Because I got my Krispy Kreme donuts that I'm about to eat, so you know, it's always a good day.
Speaker 2: So the way to eat, the way to handle that, Amy, real quick is if your mind believes it has no calories, your body will digest.
Speaker 7: It that way.
Speaker 4: Really, I tell myself that.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, let's dive into your business. Let's talk about X first, of course, formally known as Twitter.
Speaker 5: I wonder if we're ever going to drop the formerly known as Twitter.
Speaker 1: Part they're looking to raise billions of dollars in funding.
Speaker 5: What's up with that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the probably they get it to look at raise forty four billion dollars from investors. Now that's the same amount amy that owner Elon Musk paid for the social media company, which is back in twenty twenty two. Now, the funding round would be a turnaround for the company, which we remember saw massive loss in its value after many of the advertisers and users fled the platform after Musk's purchase. So they have apparently rebounded in terms of value and they're going to probably raise a ton of money here.
Speaker 1: Really, because but didn't they lose money?
Speaker 2: It lost a ton of You remember at one point it went down to where people thought it his value for like less than ten billion dollars and people laughed at Elon Muska, he paid all this money for this company. Well apparently it wasn't that crazy because everybody's back on it, right, Who doesn't use X World leaders put out messages, Our president puts out messages on X. So you know, it's it's still something that a lot of people go to and advertisers apparently are coming back to it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, okay.
Speaker 1: I think it is interesting though, because like there was all this backlash and everybody's like, we're going to this. I don't and I don't even remember the names of the places that people were going. I know Threads was one, but what what is one? Will blue Sky? But I don't hear anybody talking about it. And I never hear people say, oh, I saw that post on Blue Sky. But you do, like you said, you hear them say I saw that on X So Okay. A car maker is cutting some bonuses for workers.
Speaker 5: Why is that? And which one?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Well, Amy, it's Ford. They're eliminating stock art bonuses to roughly half of their thirty three hundred middle managers. Now. That move is being made to boost performance as profits have declined and costs continue to rise. Ford is forecasting, listen to this losses around two billion dollars or more this year. They're looking to cut a billion dollars in costs just in twenty twenty five. Look, the investment heavily in electric cars. They haven't been selling obviously, so that was not a good investment in that of kind of reaping the sadly they are, you know, paying for that because they're losing money, tons of money.
Speaker 1: Makes sense with the bonus thing, though, I remember we used to get bonuses at work, you know, I mean like years and years ago, like everybody would get them. But they said, hey, if the company does well, then you're going to do well too. But the companies, a lot of them just aren't doing as well. So and then people scream, I didn't get my bonus. Well, the company didn't make money this year, so may.
Speaker 2: We don't care. That's the thing, you know, people just care about like their own wallets, like well, I think I did well this year. I think you know, I came to work every day. I only took one sick day, so I deserve to be compensated. But you're right, it's like you compensated based on how the company does that the company is losing their shirt, like ford is, what kind of bonus are you going to get? It's not like you did well enough for the company to make money.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yep, all right, Well that's I mean, it's too bad, but it's kind of the reality of business these days. Dan Schwartzman, We're going to get in your business again tomorrow with Bloomberg's Dan Schwartzman.
Speaker 5: This time, so Dan, thank you so much.
Speaker 2: Anytime, Amy, All right.
Speaker 1: Well, anytime It'll be tomorrow at exactly this time. Appreciate his his insights and stuff. That sucks about the bonus thing. But I understand it, you know I do. So let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Protesters have blocked trucks carrying debris from the fire in Pacific Palisades to the city landfill in Caliber.
Speaker 3: That led to a brief standoff, but the trucks did eventually arrive at the landfill. The US Army Corps of Engineers in Los Angeles County Public Works says the landfill is designated to safely accept disaster related waste.
Speaker 1: Caf i's Daniel Martindale says officials also say the landfill is not taking in hazardous materials. People who live in the aresa the debris is still too close to their homes. The Only County Sheriff's Department says a woman reported kidnapped in Bellflower has been found safe and the alleged kidnapper has been arrested. Deputies had been called Sunday about a man assaulting a woman. Witnesses said the man pulled the woman out of a car and forced her into an suv, and then another person in the woman's car followed. The Sheriff's department said yesterday both vehicles have been found. Border patrol agents in San Diego have been seeing a different kind of contraband.
Speaker 9: General officials say an egg shortage in the US due to the bird flu is causing many to try to smuggle Mexican eggs into the country. Customs and Border Protection says food is not allowed to cross into the US where fear could harm American agriculture.
Speaker 1: Britennis says anyone who does have eggs while trying to cross the border should declare them.
Speaker 5: She says they won't.
Speaker 1: Get to keep the eggs, but they probably won't get in trouble either. LA has opened four new recovery centers where wildfire victims can get assistance with employment, family and business needs. The centers are open Monday through Friday. They're in Culver City, Silmar Hyde Park, and Boil Heights. President Trump assigned three more executive orders. One requires what the order calls radical transparency for government departments and agencies. Another sets up oversight at the Office of Management and Budget, and the third directs the Domestic Policy Council to examine ways to make in vitro fertilization more affordable for Americans. For the six month in a row, home prices in southern California have ticked down. The average price of a home is still over eight hundred and sixty two thousand dollars. More homes are on the market, and interest rates remain high, which Zillo says will most likely keep prices pretty flat over the next year. We're just minutes away from handle on the news this morning, Doze scorers a win in court when it comes to access and layoffs.
Speaker 5: Bill's going to tell you about that.
Speaker 2: Right now.
Speaker 1: Let's say good morning to ABC's State Department correspondent Shannon Kingston. Shannon, we might be just a small step closer to ending the war in Ukraine, but is Ukraine going to have a say in it?
Speaker 8: That is a big question. Yesterday we saw US and Russian high levels allegation sit down together at a table in Saudi Arabia, and just weeks ago this kind of meeting would have been really unthinkable, But officials came out of that saying that it was positive, upbeat, and really that it went just as well as it could have gone, So that was really remarkable. But yes, Ukraine was cut out of the negotiations. European leaders have also been sidelined. So the question is if and how they'll be folded into talks going forward, and.
Speaker 1: Does it look like And I think I heard yesterday that Trump held like a question and answer sen session at mar A Lago, and I think he said, yeah, of course Europe's going to be involved in this.
Speaker 8: That's right, because the US is looking to Europe to provide security guarantees the sector of defense. Is made pretty clear that he doesn't want to see American military playing any part here. But that is a really hazy part of the picture. How any peace would be reinforced because Russia has said, you know, putting troops from NATO countries in Ukraine right up against his borders is a non starter. So there's still, even though there's been this kind of massive reset on the relationship between the US and Russia, figuring out how Europe is going to factor in and the actual terms that both sides will agree to Ultimately, there's a lot of work to be done there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they haven't set a date for Trump and Putin to actually sit down and talk yet, have.
Speaker 2: They They have not.
Speaker 8: But they made a lot of progress towards that summit. You know, Sopecist, I've talked. You said they were listening to see if Russia was ready to move forward with this, if they're ready to negotiate on the end of the war in Ukraine in good faith and work towards other areas of bilateral interest between the countries. And they said they heard everything they needed to, So they are plowing ahead with plans and that summit could take place really as soon as next month. Is expected to be hosted in Saudi Arabia.
Speaker 7: Okay.
Speaker 1: And obviously the elephant that was not in the room was Ukraine, and President Zelenski had some choice things to say about that, didn't he.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 8: For years, under Thevine administration, the refrain was really a platitude. There was nothing about Ukraine without Ukraine. So the Trump administration has already proven they're not going to play by that rule. But it's become an increasingly intense between the President Trump himself and President's Vilensky. Up until this point, we saw Zelenski kind of trying to walk a fine line stand the Trump administration's good side. For the president. Yesterday basically claimed that Lenski's approval rating is in the single digits in his country. He also falsely claimed that Ukraine started the conflict. So this morning, Zelenski is calling for more truths from the White House and also claiming that Trump is living in a world of Russian misinformation.
Speaker 1: And he's got to be panicking a little bit because the US has supplied them with a lot of money to help them fight this war, and if that money dries up, they're in a world of hurt.
Speaker 8: So absolutely, and that's the reality check here. Without the US standing behind Ukraine, they really cannot continue fighting this fight. That something's going to have to give.
Speaker 1: Okay, ABC's Shannon Kingston, thank you so much for the information.
Speaker 5: Appreciate it.
Speaker 8: Thank you. Amy.
Speaker 1: All right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Consumer advocates have raised concerns about home insurance policies in California.
Speaker 3: The Consumer Watchdog says it believes state insurance Commissioner Ricardo Laura has not acted in the best interest of policy holders. Executive director Carmen Baulber says Laura's plan to create more policies likely won't work.
Speaker 7: The part of the rule change that was supposed to make them sell again doesn't have any teeth, and those loopholes will mean Californians will pay more but not get more.
Speaker 2: Access to coverage.
Speaker 3: The state has pushed the insurance industry to offer more policies in wildfire prone areas in exchange for loosening some state regulations, a move consumer watchdog says isn't good enough. Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 5: The murder of a Border patrol agent during a shootout in Vermont last month has been linked to California. ABC's Jim Ryan says authorities have connected the killing with five more in California and Pennsylvania.
Speaker 12: The common thread in all of them is a cult like group whose members call themselves Zizians, headed by a transgenderal woman named Jack Lysoda. Now Lesta and two others will be questioned about the six homicides now connected to the Zizians.
Speaker 1: Authority to say the Zizians' goals aren't clear, but their online posts have ranged from radical veganism to gender I identity and artificial intelligence. A new app is making it easier to hire a personal security guard.
Speaker 3: It's as simple as finding an uber now. The app, called Protector will soon launch of the public and a promise is to be an on demand bodyguard service for the general public. The app charges two hundred dollars an hour for a bodyguard and a driver, with prices climbing based on the customer's needs. Now the bodyguards are said to be elite professionals with backgrounds in Air Force, Pair of Rescue, SWAT, Navy Seal teams, and special forces. You can even customize the bodyguard's attire from business formal, business casual, or tactical casual. The app can also customize your ride between Cadillac Escalades and Chevy Suburbans. Andrew Caravella KFI News Escalate.
Speaker 5: I definitely would take the Escalate.
Speaker 1: This is KFI and KOSTHD two Los Angeles, Orange County, south Land. Weather from KFI. Clouds this morning, then partly clouded this afternoon. Heights in the mid sixties at the beaches, upper sixties to low seventies for Metro La and Inlan Orange County, upper sixties to mid seventies in the valleys, and ie sixties in the Animal Hello Valley. Highs tomorrow about the same as today, warming up a few degrees as we head into the weekend, with highs in the mid depper seventies at the beaches and metro areas, seventies to about eighty for the valleys, and i e sixties in the High Desert. It's forty seven and Orange fifty one Manhattan Beach, forty nine in Serritos, fifty three in Lake Forest. We lead local live from the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. I'm Amy King. This has been your wake up Call. If you missed any of wake Up Call, you can listen anytime on the iHeartRadio app. You've been listening to wake Up Call with me Amy King. You can always hear wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on KFI Am six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.