Speaker 1: The Damon Runyon Theater.
Speaker 2: Once again, the Damon Runyon Theater brings you another story by the master story teller, Damon Runyon, unless one the melancholy Dane, and to tell it to you here is Broadway.
Speaker 3: Thanks well.
Speaker 4: It is a matter of a few years back that I am sitting in Mindy's enjoying a snack when I look up and see that Ambrose Hammer, the dramatic critic, is.
Speaker 3: Looking down at me.
Speaker 4: Now, it happens quite often the citizens come into Mindy's and pick my table for some discussion or other, so I think nothing of it when Ambrose.
Speaker 3: Seats himself and opens the proceedings as fun.
Speaker 5: Hello Broadway, doing anything special to night?
Speaker 3: No, what is on your mind?
Speaker 5: Want to go to a play? But kind Hamlet.
Speaker 3: Owner never see it. I never see it, but I know all about it.
Speaker 4: At two in the morning, this place is crowded with citizens who think they are acted, and who do all their practicing as followed.
Speaker 3: To be or not to be, That is the question whether it is nobler in the mind.
Speaker 4: To suffer et cetera, et cetera, to wit You know, Ambrose, That makes for very dull conversation because it is very one sided.
Speaker 5: Anyhow, go with me tonight.
Speaker 3: What is special about tonight?
Speaker 5: Mansfield Southern is playing the Melancholy Dame.
Speaker 3: I think you say it is Hamlet. Yes, it is Mansfield Southern.
Speaker 5: Eh the same.
Speaker 4: But is he not the musical comedy citizens It seems to me he is reaching for a wide moment when he swings at Shakespeare.
Speaker 3: Ah, that is just.
Speaker 5: It, Broadway. We are going to see Hamlet tonight and in the morning I'll make Mansfield Southern with Shakespeare had written only letters to his tailor.
Speaker 4: So I go along with Ambrose Hamlet to see Mansfield Southern in a Hamlet. It seems to me at the time that Ambrose is more than somewhat prejudiced before he even sees the play.
Speaker 3: And I wonder why I find out. And the story from there is a peculiar one.
Speaker 4: Indeed, in fact, it does not stop in New York, but goes on to a place.
Speaker 3: Called North Africa.
Speaker 4: It takes in a war, and the strangest performance of Hamlet that ever takes place. And I will tell you all about it in a minute.
Speaker 2: And now back to the Damon Runy in theater and a famous story, the Melancholy Dane.
Speaker 4: Like I am saying, I see a Hamlet with Ambrose Hammer. Now, I personally prefer shows which have a little more dancing and singer. So I am glad when Ambrose nudges me at the end of the first act and says he has enough. Well it comes up the next morning when I am again an innate at this time for breakfast, and.
Speaker 3: In comes Mansfield Southern.
Speaker 6: He looks at me and says, ah, Broadway.
Speaker 4: Ah, mister Southern, what brings you shuffling into this mortal quail?
Speaker 6: Don't be flippant? Where's Hammer?
Speaker 3: Why I do not see him this morning? You are looking for him? I am going to kill him my mine for breakfast.
Speaker 7: That man is a duster, the coward. He uses his position to revent all his petty spies and hatreds. I tell you, Broadway, it will but skin and film the ulcerous place whilst rank corruption mining all within infects unseen.
Speaker 3: Please Mansfield, not while I am eating.
Speaker 6: Oh what a rogue Broadway read that review.
Speaker 4: Last night Mansfield Southern played Hamlet, but not to win. M Hm, mister Southern, who has stolen the names of two great actors to make one bad one?
Speaker 7: The dog, the lowly treacherous dog that doth snap at heels in passion and frenzy. Too churlish to assume me in the mosque of courage and make a fight of greater things in Mansfield.
Speaker 3: If you wish me to read this, I'm sorry.
Speaker 6: Read Mister Southern.
Speaker 4: Sounded as though he were delivering lines from the depths of a coal mine.
Speaker 3: By voice.
Speaker 6: He is making sport of my boy.
Speaker 4: In his interpretation, the melancholy Dane assumed the stature of a frantic housewife who has left her keys behind and smells the meat burden in the kitchen. In this case, Amasa tis enough, Broadway, I'll kill him.
Speaker 8: You will kill who?
Speaker 5: Southern you you were talking about killing somebody?
Speaker 7: You ooh you by logical extravagance.
Speaker 5: I'll go someplace else and blow off that head of steam.
Speaker 6: For two pins, I twist your neck.
Speaker 5: If I had two pins, I'd pay the admission to see you try it.
Speaker 6: You know you're safe.
Speaker 7: I'd never get another job if I touched the hair of your fiendish head.
Speaker 5: Well, maybe someday you'll get the chance.
Speaker 3: Oh tis a hope I cherish to my heart.
Speaker 7: Get off the stage, Southern, you didn't even wait for the last four hours.
Speaker 5: Sudden, when I open an egg, I don't have to eat the whole thing to find out if it's bad.
Speaker 7: You know why you gave me that review because of miss Chanelle Cooper.
Speaker 5: You're crazy.
Speaker 7: Ay, yes, because she preferred me to you. You took this course of vilify me to stretch me out upon a rack of ridicule.
Speaker 5: Look when you took on Hamlet to lay yourself open to this, you should have started a musical comedy.
Speaker 7: Someday, someday you eat those words, so help me, I'll make you eat them.
Speaker 5: I'll have to be very, very hungry.
Speaker 6: You know what you've done. You've blasted my life, blasted at.
Speaker 5: Is thought to have the engineer hoist with his own patent.
Speaker 7: Miss Cooper refuses to see me this morning, Miss Pursho's remarkable taste. Someday you're going to be at my mercy and everything help you.
Speaker 5: But by mister Southern Oh, and by the way, I'm dining with Miss Cooper this evening. Then we're going to a good show.
Speaker 7: Hasten my steps, lest my hands betray my intelligence and strike again.
Speaker 5: Exit one bad Hamlet.
Speaker 3: You play pretty rough with him.
Speaker 5: Ambro Well, he shouldn't have taken a fancy to miss Cooper, not while I had a fancy.
Speaker 3: That is the only reason you put the fire and rim.
Speaker 5: Well, No, he is a very bad Hamlet, don't you think so.
Speaker 6: I am no judge.
Speaker 3: That is your business.
Speaker 4: But it seems to me that the affair of this miss Chanelle Cooper does more than a little too.
Speaker 3: Word Well, they say in books, sir, color your judge.
Speaker 5: Ah, forget it.
Speaker 3: He is very mad.
Speaker 5: So what all actors get mad at a bad review? They blame the critics, accuse us a biased stupidity, Broadway, any actor will blame anyone but himself for a bad performance.
Speaker 3: No, but the less Ambrose, it seems you now make an enemy.
Speaker 5: Him, Broadway. I'll never live to see the day that costume Geiser can hurt me, so says Ambrose.
Speaker 3: Hammer. Well, it is about this time that the war breaks out, and.
Speaker 4: I see nothing of Ambrose or Mansfield Southern, but quite a spell. Then it is a long time later that I am sitting at Middies when I see it for me, your face, Ambrose it He comes over to me, and the scene is as follows.
Speaker 5: Well, Well, Broadway, this is where I left.
Speaker 3: You, Ambrose May. It is good to see you again.
Speaker 5: It's good to be back, even with this.
Speaker 3: Since when do you take the carry in the cane?
Speaker 5: Got to my ward? You mean you are in the war, correspondent, North Africa. I pick up a piece of Jerry Leada. No you are a hero hero Oh no, no, no, no, not me Broadway. Why do you say it like that?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 5: Just because? Oh? But have you been good? Good?
Speaker 4: I missed the hostilities because it seems the army does not want or the Navy or the Marines, or.
Speaker 3: You tried several times.
Speaker 5: You're wearing a service ribbon merchant marine. Oh uh? Would you like to hear a story? If it is a good one, always good with a great cast and a great performance by by a guy named Mansfield Southern.
Speaker 3: Man's what about him?
Speaker 5: Well, I'm here now because of him.
Speaker 4: But the last time I see you two together, Mansfield Southern is in the mood to take you apart.
Speaker 5: Huh, okay, settle back?
Speaker 6: Are you am ready? Well?
Speaker 5: My paper sent me over as a correspondent. Pick up human interest stories, how the gis live, what they say and things?
Speaker 4: Who lives during the war and who says anything? Good and who thinks of anything but getting it over with?
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I know. But there I am in North Africa. I get to a place called Bonne and walk into a knocked out stone house where some GI's are sitting around. One of them looks up and says, God these cigarettes. Oh sure? Yeah? Thanks are you bud?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Thank you?
Speaker 5: Okay? Uh, I just quiet sector Huh, it'll get noisy. It always gets noisy when I get sleepy.
Speaker 3: The Jerry's lay quiet all day when I ain't sleepy.
Speaker 6: Then when I.
Speaker 3: Started drowse off, they open with the eighty eight.
Speaker 5: So where's the front? It moves around mister, First, it's back, then it's in the middle. Then it ain't no place. Yeah, yeah, I see you. You'll mind if I sit awey help yourself. I'm a correspondent. Yeah, I see right. Huh that's right. When I get home, I am to go to Tusbedee know where that is? Oh sure? At Alabama? Yeah? Maybe I can write? Why not? No reason? I guess you're crazy, Bama. Why what do.
Speaker 3: You want to write for?
Speaker 5: Well? I got things to say.
Speaker 3: Sure, everybody's got something to say.
Speaker 5: I got lots to say. I guess you had. How are you gonna say it?
Speaker 1: Bama?
Speaker 5: That's what I gotta learn. I gotta say it the way my skin will lett me say it. You do all right, Bama? Oh? Things back home? Mister? All right, I guess you'll come one eighty eight? Big great, keep going, keep going on, da.
Speaker 1: Bamma.
Speaker 9: You only six bits six bits market in the book Ginger, what was the the bet we got to stand in bed? Five cents on every eighty eight? Ginger bets that don't hit us? I bet it does?
Speaker 5: You? You bet it does? I suppose you win? Bama? How do you collect? I don't mind, and I never think of collect.
Speaker 3: Well, we gotta get gone, Bama.
Speaker 5: Guess so where are you going? Gotta go to war? There's one out there?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Hey, you say you're looking for the front, Well, yes, we are too. Want to go around? How gee? He used to be four of us?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Or oh? I see? Well then if you don't mind my tagging along, I'd like to go. Glad to have you sure, and you can do us a favorite too, well, glad to us. What did it get the FBI.
Speaker 3: To investigate the guy who invented these rations?
Speaker 5: And see which side he's betting on. Let's go well, Broadway, I found myself in that jeep tearing along a road that's been hit by everything from machine gun bullets to airplane bombs. Then we get to a place where two roads branched off. Ginger stopped the gee. Looks like we take the road to the right.
Speaker 6: Bama.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I guess so the fronts up that way. Yeah, from the sound of the fire and the jerry's a pound in that sector.
Speaker 3: So wherever they're pounding is wherever the war is ready?
Speaker 5: Yes, yes, I guess so.
Speaker 6: Scared.
Speaker 5: Well, it's not exactly. A bit of roads is to be tried about it. I ain't never stopped being scared.
Speaker 6: Who has.
Speaker 5: Saint bat Bama? You got that one's coming close?
Speaker 1: Hit the side of the road path, Bmma.
Speaker 5: Bma, why are we eighty since now this will happen?
Speaker 9: He they sense I'm glad to hey, Hey, where is he?
Speaker 5: Hey, mister mister here, I'm here?
Speaker 6: You all right?
Speaker 5: I think I'm here? Oh, come on, Ginger, yeah here here I am. Well, well, here mister sit, we'll get a good look at you. Yeah, I'll get off your face. I hate to tell you this, but you can see what I'm hit much better if I'm dying on my face like that. Look where he caught one bam out of place? Can you can you do anything? Can you get up? I'll try? What are you doing? All our first aid stuff was in the jeep and the chief just ain't no more. But I'm hit.
Speaker 9: I'll tell you what chances are the medicals ain't much farther. We'll make you nice and comfortable and we'll send them back after you.
Speaker 5: Well, I'll die, I don't think. So what do you say, Bamma? As long as you don't try to sit please? Please? Sorry? Will you? Yeah, let's go, Bama. Yeah, mister put this ringcot under your head? Yes, yes, thanks? Oh what don't move around too much? Oh wait wait, wait wait a minute. What if another shell hits Likely it won't. No, likely, it won't because you know what they say about lightning. Okay, but I'll thank you to deliver that message to the cherries. The chances are they they haven't heard it.
Speaker 2: Okay, here we go, Bama.
Speaker 6: Back to the war.
Speaker 5: So long, mister, so long? Did you good luck? So long, mister so long, Bamma. I hope you keep losing bets And so there I was Broadway out in the middle of North Africa with a very embarrassing wound.
Speaker 4: But then what happen? Where is Mansfield Southern coming right there?
Speaker 5: But not until later and Broadway. Maybe you won't believe what I'm gonna tell you, but so help me, it's the absolute truth.
Speaker 3: With that, Ambrose settles back and lights a cigarette.
Speaker 5: Then he begins to talk again.
Speaker 3: And what he tells me is.
Speaker 4: A strange story, indeed, and I will tell you what it is in a minute.
Speaker 2: And now back to the damon runy in theater and the famous story the melancholy dame.
Speaker 3: Like I say, Ambrose Hamma goes on with his store.
Speaker 5: Yeah there, I was all by myself in the night. Then I guess I passed out because I don't remember a thing until I heard somebody talking Broadway. What I heard made the goose flesh come up on my skin. Just think a dark night. The jairy is blasting away in the distance, guys in tanks behind guns, and suddenly I hear a voice.
Speaker 6: Like beds fight for a plot where on the numbers cat I'll try the cause.
Speaker 7: Men's Field Southern shut up, cannot dry the cause which is not toomb enough and continent to hide the sleeve.
Speaker 6: Recognize that hammer, Southern you. Yes, how are you?
Speaker 5: I'm hit?
Speaker 6: Anatomically speaking, you're hitting the only place a drama critic has feelings.
Speaker 5: Look, what time is it?
Speaker 6: Time three?
Speaker 5: But when Ginger and Bama went, it was only nine.
Speaker 6: Ginger and Bama friends of yours.
Speaker 5: They went to get the medicals for me. They ought to be back by now.
Speaker 6: So well, the chances are they won't be back.
Speaker 5: Why not while you were asleep. I passed out from my wound.
Speaker 7: While you were asleep, the jerry sliced through and cut off this sector.
Speaker 6: Amma, you and I are alone.
Speaker 5: Look someone, I'm wounded. I'll bleed to death.
Speaker 6: Yes, while you were sleeping, I poured something powder on your wood. You're in no danger.
Speaker 5: Well, I've got to see you're in pain. Hammer, Yes, I'm in pain.
Speaker 6: It hurts just so not so wide?
Speaker 5: Does a church door all so deep as a well? But listen, will you stop spouting Shakespeare and get us out of here? Do you have any suggestion I'm a stranger here, I'm not. I've been here for weeks and week Yes, yes, I see you're in uniform.
Speaker 7: Yes, try to move all right, Oh, I can't bright bright pain that maketh children of us. All Now, you know what I felt like after that review you gave me for.
Speaker 5: The love of Mike Mansfield. You're not thinking about that at a time like this, but I am.
Speaker 6: I've thought of nothing else. Hammer. Do you know what you did in my dramatic career over that review?
Speaker 5: Stars? You were a musical comedy star. You shouldn't have tried Shakespeare much.
Speaker 7: Less, Hamy, I see, according to your philosophy, Hammer, a man must live and die in the same right, all right, all right.
Speaker 5: I just need to hear no there, right now, just get me to a doctor.
Speaker 6: I could leave you here.
Speaker 7: I could leave you here and spend night afternoon, day after.
Speaker 3: Day thinking delicious.
Speaker 5: Thoughts of the pain you are sudden, You're insane. You wouldn't allow.
Speaker 7: No, I guess I wouldn't, Hammer. I have a much better idea, much better.
Speaker 5: What is it?
Speaker 7: Ah, You'll see, my kindly viper, You'll see I guess I've got to carry you. It won't be comfortable, Hammer, not at all. In fact, it will probably hurt a great deal, But for your sins you shall pay.
Speaker 6: Ah, this will do very well. Down you go.
Speaker 5: Where are we? What is this place?
Speaker 6: At one time it might have been a stone house? Right now your guess is as.
Speaker 5: Good as mine, for we can't stay here?
Speaker 6: Why not?
Speaker 5: Where the jerry? You? You said they had this sect?
Speaker 6: That's right?
Speaker 7: But you and I have a little business, Hammer, and this is an excellent place to conduct it. What do you mean, as I recall, you saw only one act of my hamlet?
Speaker 5: Or what's that got to do?
Speaker 6: Is anything you missed my greatest scene?
Speaker 5: Suddenly sudden you've gone.
Speaker 7: Crazyes my greatest scene, for example, the scene with the grave diggers. You have to mention that at a time like this, mister Hammer, since you missed most of my performance, it's only far to you that you've see it.
Speaker 1: Now what.
Speaker 6: The grave digger scene? This is quite a setting for it.
Speaker 7: Ruins earth that has felt the terr of war, the terrible wind of combat.
Speaker 5: You are crazy, No, quite the law Lord Harry.
Speaker 6: You're going to watch me this time. You're going to sit through my performance.
Speaker 7: This is an experience any actor would give his soul to go through.
Speaker 6: Now, let's see a scall. I've got to have a skull. Don't look at me like that.
Speaker 5: Uh, stone not a skull, but near enough.
Speaker 6: Now listen, Hammer.
Speaker 5: Listen, shut on the jerry are shelling this place?
Speaker 6: Quiet?
Speaker 10: Now?
Speaker 6: Listen alas, poor Jory. I knew him Horatio.
Speaker 7: I forgot to tell you, Hammer, you're playing Horatio, Horra, saysan not.
Speaker 6: Now wait for your queue please.
Speaker 7: I knew him, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.
Speaker 6: He has borne me on his back a thousand times now.
Speaker 5: And there I lay Broadway, watching and listening.
Speaker 3: He really goes on through Hamlet.
Speaker 5: Everything I missed he did, and you're a wound. It gave me terrible pain. And believe me, Broadway, it is not easy to remember Hamlet and play Horatio lying on your face in stone and mud.
Speaker 3: But what happens then?
Speaker 5: For more than an hour sudden went on. He played all the parts, and I watched him and listen a.
Speaker 6: While. And in this harsh world.
Speaker 5: Thanks for the love of Mike, that one came close enough to shaves, very close. But there's not much more, not much more, looks there's another speech by him, and fought and Bras and Horatio and English. No, no, we'll all be killed.
Speaker 6: That is entirely possible. But what have I to live for my career.
Speaker 7: You ruined that, Ms Cooper, You roasted me so completely, she thought I as an idiot.
Speaker 5: You mind if I say I'd like to go on living.
Speaker 6: Why should you to ruin another career?
Speaker 7: Tonight's the hopes of still another actor?
Speaker 5: You're kidding, You're not serious.
Speaker 6: How do you know?
Speaker 5: Well, you can't be.
Speaker 6: It's murder.
Speaker 5: I prefer to call it justice.
Speaker 6: I and your career as you ended mine.
Speaker 5: All Right, you stay, I'll go very leave. I can't walk.
Speaker 6: I thought that.
Speaker 5: Well, goodbye, Hammer, you're leaving me. If you're lucky, the Jerry's will take over soon.
Speaker 6: Then it's only capture for you. Goodbye, Hammer.
Speaker 7: Sudden Wait, wait, Sudden, Sudden, all stop squawking.
Speaker 6: You can't be Yes, I came back.
Speaker 7: I'm about to do something for which my final actors will never forgive me.
Speaker 5: Hammer.
Speaker 6: I'm I'm going to get you.
Speaker 2: Out of here.
Speaker 5: Why did you come back, Summer?
Speaker 7: Why because I didn't finish the last act?
Speaker 5: Hammer, I've almost let you walk too easy, but I swore you here the whole thing, and you will I see. Okay, Man, let's go.
Speaker 6: Put your arms around my neck and hold on.
Speaker 7: I'll have to crawl, crawl, as soon as the place is infested with Jerry's. But before we go home, tell me one more thing, Hammer, what's that means?
Speaker 5: Feel?
Speaker 6: Are you still suffering with pain?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 10: Then to my task and hammer, please groan once in a while to keep up my morah.
Speaker 5: So he crawled with me on his back Broadway through the Jerry line, right through. I'll never forget that night, especially while I remember Southern whispering very softly to himself, imperious Caesar dead and turned to Clay might stop a hole to keep the wind away.
Speaker 3: How long does this go on?
Speaker 5: I don't know. I passed out, and when I woke up, I was in a field hospital in American World.
Speaker 3: But what about Serven? What becomes a him?
Speaker 5: I never saw him again? I heard he was decorated for saving me, and several times later for various actions.
Speaker 3: But where is he?
Speaker 5: And I see you don't keep.
Speaker 3: Up with the theater Broadway, just the musical comedist search why.
Speaker 5: Mansfield Southern is opening tonight in.
Speaker 3: Hamlet again? Wait a minute, are you gonna review it?
Speaker 5: My paper? Assign me to it?
Speaker 6: O Broadway?
Speaker 5: He is a lousy Hamlet, you still think? So I'll never change my mind.
Speaker 4: But if he opens the night and you are going to review the show and he saves you, I've already written the review without seeing the play.
Speaker 5: If you think I'm going to sit through one more performance of Hamlet, You're crazy. I've written my review and it'll be printed as I.
Speaker 3: Wrote it for Ambrose.
Speaker 5: That's all Broadway. You can read my review in tomorrow's paper.
Speaker 4: With that, Ambrose Hammer gets up and leaves Limpin more than someone naturally. I am very curious, indeed, as to what his review is. I find out the next morning. Also, the payoff to the story comes the next morning, and what it is I will tell you in a minute. Well, like I say, I am in Mindy's the next morning, and I am just starting to read the dramatic page when I look up and see somebody come into my table, and who is it but Mansfield's servant.
Speaker 3: He looks at me and then speaks, as.
Speaker 6: Fun, Broadway, have you seen Ambrose Hammer not.
Speaker 3: This morning, Man's Field? Why are you looking for him?
Speaker 6: Yes?
Speaker 8: I am looking for him. Oh I see, did you read the review? I am just getting to it when you come in read it maybe later. I saved his life. I saved his miserable, narrow life. All what a fool, just Amy you are? Read that review?
Speaker 3: Sure, sure, Mansfield.
Speaker 7: I'll say one thing for him, though he praised me to miss Chanel Cooper. But what a little thing, What a small return for my gesture?
Speaker 3: Ore, Then everything between you and miss Cooper is all right.
Speaker 6: I suppose that we're going to be married.
Speaker 4: Well, that seems to indicate a pleasant relationship between the two of you.
Speaker 6: The review man. Read it, and see what a scurrilous knave that hammer is.
Speaker 4: Sure in Mansfield, Southern's inspired performance of Hamlet last night leads us to the hope that in this sterling young actor, well.
Speaker 6: Go on, go on, you haven't come to the villainous part.
Speaker 4: Oh, in this sterling young actor, we have a new dramatic force of the power in Shakespearean roles.
Speaker 3: Of all the mighty figures of another day, Mansfield.
Speaker 4: I see nothing in miss to make you the next phrase, Broadway, The next phrase, that's the one. Read it, of all the mighty figures of another day, including even the immortal John Barrymore.
Speaker 7: The dog, the treacherous dog.
Speaker 4: Wait a minute, at Mansfield, it seems to me that Ambrose pays you off in full account with him, including saving his life.
Speaker 3: He gives you Mischonelle Cooper. He also establishes your future in the theater Broadway.
Speaker 7: There is still a streak of venom left in Ambrose Hammer.
Speaker 6: If there weren't, why.
Speaker 7: Should he even mention John Barrymore in the same review.
Speaker 2: And so ends the famous Damon Runyon story The Melancholy Dame, listening again next week for.
Speaker 1: The Damon Runyon Theater. The Damon Runyon.
Speaker 2: Theater with John Brown as Broadway is directed by Richard Sandvil and The Stories of That for Radio by Russell Hughes. Berne Carstensen is in charge of production. This is a Mayfair production.