Speaker 1: The Team House with your hosts Jack Murphy and David Bark. Hey, guys, I'm Jack Murphy here with David Park. This is the Team House. This is episode one eighty something for eighty four Good Call. We're here with our guest tonight, Patrick McNamara. Pat served in Special Forces and in an Army Special Mission unit, and today he does some coaching through the Pat Mac Keep the Blaze Alive program. We'll talk about that in a little bit.
Speaker 2: Pat.
Speaker 1: Welcome to the show. Thank you for joining us on a Tuesday evening.
Speaker 2: Man, thanks for having me, guys. Appreciate you allowing me to grace your company and your podcast.
Speaker 1: Absolutely.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: So hey, we're gonna jump right into it. Man, I'm gonna ask you, what's your origin story? If you're a superhero comic book guy, you know where you bit by a radioactive spider? Was there some cosmic rays that you got hit with? I mean, what was what was your origin story? Like growing up and the sort of pathway that took you towards military service.
Speaker 2: That's a funny, That's that's what I like that. I like the way you you you approached that. It's cool. Uh, I think it was kind of a slow transition because I was an oddball kid. I was, I'm gonna say, a gentle kid. You know, I did all a lot of oddball hobbies. I'm an art I still am artist. Uh Uh. I'm an avid bird watcher and so was I back then, which you know, didn't gain me a lot of popularity of the tough kid.
Speaker 3: Crowd that the bird watchers didn't have groupies that would show, well.
Speaker 1: You didn't get mad girls birdwatching.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it was. It's funny how that works. Apparently chicks don't really dig bird watch. It's funny how that works. But yeah, I mean just a lot of odd ball stuff. I had a metamorphosis, which you know, so I guess my my superpower what do you call it? What you superhero origins? Yeah, yeah, yeah, it was a it was a metamorphosis of sorts, uh having you know, just being a real gentle kid, getting my ass kicked by everybody, bullied by everybody, uh and one of them was the older brother. My older brother bullied the ship out of me and pretty much tormented me. And I was uh, I didn't even like being in the under the same roof as him and my parents were. They were sword of wise to it, but they didn't know the extent because I wasn't gonna rat them out. Plus there was threats to me that, you know, if I ratted them outches getting stitches. Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah yeah. But he went to prison when I was fourth. The first time he went to prison, I was about fourteen years old, and that's when I had like a second chance. That was my first second lease on life, first one. I'll talk about my second one later. But I had a second lease on life and I joined a wrestling team at my high school. I sucked bad, I got beat by everybody. I started lifting weights, and you know, when you're fourteen, fifteen, sixteen, you're growing. Had a couple of really cool mentors that would also teach me to fight and encourage me because they were the ones who said, dude, you got a year and a half, just under two years before your brother gets out of prison. What are you gonna do? What's your recourse? How are you going to face that freaking monsoon? Because they all knew, everybody knew my parents were in denial, so they helped me out a lot. Then I got good at wrestling, and I started getting good grades and I loved the you know, the camaraderie, the team, the team conraaderie, and and the physical turmoil, you know, and the personal gain, you know, the feeling of winning. I loved it. I loved that. Uh. So, I think that was one of one of my driving forces is whence I graduated high school, I wanted to feel that feeling again. Oh, by the way, when my brother get back from prison, I kicked his assne in front of my parents. Nice yep, And so I set up a.
Speaker 3: New relationship between you two just out of curiosity, Like, didn't set a boundary.
Speaker 2: Did you guys have a Kumbaya moment after that? No? Well no, I hated his guts till the day he died. Ye.
Speaker 1: Well, that's that's definitely probably the best superhero origin we've heard on the show so far. About like hit the gym, warning to wrestle, and kicking your tormentor's ass. That's pretty good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yep, yeah, uh but it really I mean, I do owe him, right, so I do have to credit him to some degree for being just a total douchebag. Uh But yep, No, we'd never bury the hatchet. No, and that wasn't gonna happen. He never changed, never changed. He was one of those you know, leeches on society, never worked, just that got handed free ship. Yeah, responsibility, yeah yeah yeah, in and out of the prison system forever thought. He was a tough guy, covered with jailhouse tasks. Just a real work of you know, just a real peace just a real mixed bag of loose spare parts. But uh yeah, so I knew I needed that again, you know that that uh, that camaraderie, that team cohesion, that physical turmoil winning, uh, winning and losing, to know all that stuff. Uh. And my dad was into it that I wanted to join the military. He was into a big time, so he helped me out. I did go to the recruiter the recruiters, because I went to all of them. I did go on my own without him knowing. When I was seventy, and the Army at the time had the best answer because there was like immediate action I could go into, become an airborne ranger or the s A baby program was a thing at that time here in nineteen eighty three. And I came back and told my dad and he said, did you sign anything? I said, not yet. I want to talk to you say, we're going we're going down with the lawyer. Wow, well, I mean he knows, he knows, you know that recruiters can't do some slimy sh Yeah, no, it's it's great. Yeah. And so he adjusted the paperwork, the recruiter did. He adjusted it, he made some he made some kind of he erased something and penciled something in.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: And I signed up for basically that the Brand eighteen X ray program, which man I had to go to infantry basic training, so at thirteen weeks what twelve thirteen weeks there and then to airborne school and then to the s F course. If I made all that stuff, and then I get jacked up in airborne school, I was distinguished on a graduate in basic training. I go to airborne school and my second jump, I'm a freaking toad jumper. Oh my god, all the way across fire drops one on the second, one out, the last one to land thankfully. Yeah, all the way across what's that? A minute and a half drops? Then?
Speaker 1: Oh my god?
Speaker 3: That For those for people who don't know what a toad jumper is, can you please tell them and describe your experience as a toad jumper experience.
Speaker 2: Man. Well, so when you first learn how to jump, you're jumping static line, so it's static line hooks to it inboard cable and or to a cable that runs the length of the aircraft, and once you jump out and reach the end of the static line, it deploys your shoot for you. Well, in this particular case, that static line got wrapped under my reserve and around my arm. So I was just outside the door thankfully, see when I guess, I think thankfully, See when thirty versus see one forty one. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not. But it was bad immediately because this was also tearing my body apart right because I felt it. I felt it around my body, and I was hitting the plane boom boom, boom, boom boom, and I visibly saw people going over me, right over the top of me, and I was just spinning in circles, and all I could vaguely remember, you know, the jump master briefing about you know, putting a hand on a helmet and one on the reserve. Vaguely remember that, But there was no freaking way that was happening. I was. I was in all three state of mind that was irrepairable at that point. Uh, thankfully it came loose. I hit a few times and it came loose. Now under canopy. That's when I realized I am jacked up. I am jacked I'm jacked up. I'm jacked up. There was nothing but mones and groans coming from my body, just moans and groans. I was just a limp sack of shit underneath a T ten parachute, Just just a limp, limp sack of shit. I hit the I hit the deck. I land on my same injured side, and at the time I didn't know, but I had a lot of injuries, including broken ribs and concussion, uh, disocated shoulder, and I fall on that side, so there was no PLF, you know, parachute landing fall right, I had two points of contact feet and that my injured side. And then to add insult to injury, a gust of wind comes and now I'm getting drug across Ryer drop zone and I'm all bashed up. And then I can hear one of the black cats, one of the instructors, yelling at me, saying, good up, Leeric, you over there getting drug released. One of your cable looket canopy release assemblies now leg and I'm like mother fucker, except without that level of enthusiasm. But I did hear him and I knew he was yelling at me, and I popped a cable boom. The shoote collapsed and then I'm laying there and I'm going, what and what in the fuck just happened? This jumping thing sucks? But I did pack up my parachute in the kit bag, went back to the assembly area. Now I still had no idea how bad I was. When I got there, I saw the black cats. They were looking. They were looking for people because apparently I didn't know this. They saw that somebody was told right, So now they're all looking. They're like, where is this dude? Well, I saw buddy mine and he goes, dude, you okay, you look you Because I know I was ashen. I was shocky still and I had blood, you know, coming down on this side of my brain bucket, and I said, bro, I am I am hurt. Something's really bad with my arm and he goes, Holy Countain on my bads. I had rope burns and he's going, what down And he says take it off. I says I can't. I can't move this arm. I cannot there's no signal from here to there, there's none. So he helped me unbuckled my button my blouse and pulled it down. And then when I saw that bicep and I saw that it had been pulled down my forearm all yeah, and like the skin was almost translucent. That's when I immediately heaved he because now I knew why why I was hurting so bad. And then the ribs everything. But then the black cats saw they came over. Hey, you the guy, yes, and they were dude like velvet gloves, you know, velvet gloves. They were like, bro sit down over here. The uh, the heat just left with a guy who broke his leg. We got to bus you to Martin Army Hospital. So I had to bust there. And it was a bumpy rhymes right, jiggling me all over the place, broken ribs and jacked up bicep, and then there's more. Then there's more. The hospital's nineteen eighty three. The hospital's filled with grenade events who had real injuries from you know, airfield seizures. Anyway, That's that was how I started.
Speaker 3: So did you so, I mean, I know that having the the bicep detached is a common injury with with that when you get towed. Did they did that do a surgery to reattach it then?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah yeah yeah yeah you could see that star there. Yeah, yeah, yeah. And this bicep is still a lot smaller than my other one, but yeah, yeah, they had to dig it out of my form and put it back together. And the way he explain it to me says, this is the size of your bicep right now, this is what we could salvage. Wow. Insurgent's name was perlic I remember his name, Perlick, redheaded dude.
Speaker 1: So that's funny. Cool then, I mean, at least they didn't chapter you out of the military, no, or med board you out of the military.
Speaker 2: Nope, nope, nope, nope. I was in the hospital for a minute. Yeah, and I was there, and then I was I had to work at the Airborn and commit dude, it just sucked. You had to at the Yeah, I had to work there. I was on profile. I had to work at like forty fifth Company Airborne whatever the hell it's called training thingy, And yeah, I had to work there for a few months. And you see September, October, November, December, so through Christmas break January. I think I jumped again in February, so you had to continue the course. They didn't. They didn't just like yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, I had to continue now I've already been through all the other stuff, right, So they put me right on a plane, I mean ground. That's good. And dude, they were. They were cool as hell. The instructors put me first in the door, and I remember this one jump master, you know, telling me stand in the door. I hand it in my static line and he grabbed it from me and he looked me right in the face. You know, it's like I got this thing. Yeah he's not getting ejacuar there. Cool as hell. They were cool as hell. They were cool as hell. So I did two firsts in the door because I had to get three more there, So two first in the doors and then one in the middle of the stick. Yeah, and then from there did you go from there right to the SF course, which was I mean, I'm not in peak shape now when I'm doing the Army. I was in peak shape, right, you know. I was a state champion wrestlerans and weightlifter and I was badass, but uh now I'm in shape and I got to start the s F course. I started on my birthday in nineteen eighty four, yep, on my ninth birthday. And it wasn't like today where they have like SFAs they had pre phase, which was nothing more than just an absolute smoke fest for a couple of weeks and just trim the fat. Let's see who could put up with this shit? You know. They were just making it up as they went For the rest of that. The rest of the SF course was similar to what is today, but that was filled with several different roadbumps too, I mean, one after the other. Even out of Camra Call, I couldn't get hot shot like I think like twice or three times a week, they would bring in hot a's, you know, and instead of c rations because mrs weren't out just yet, they were almost there. And in order to get hot a's you had to do ten pull ups with your kid on and climb the rope. And I'd had no biceps still, I was still building this thing back, but you know, I was young, and it didn't take long before I was able to knock them out again, which sucked because you know before that I was one of these, like I was a pull up. I had to pull up record in basic training. Right now I couldn't Now, I couldn't do any to feed myself. But now you know, little there was just tons of speed bumps like that. S of course sucked. I failed out of first phase. Uh. And it was for bullshit reason, bullshit reason. I think it was the Cadre at the time, they weren't too keen of us eighteen X rays. You know, it's that babes right and man. And back then they still had the survival program. You know, six days out in you worry and you're issued one ration a live chicken or a live rabbit for those six days and then you got like twenty one task to complete in this in this amount of time. But I did good on survival. I did good. And one of the instructors was he was just jealous. They would come out every night and check on you, and he wrote me up for some bullshit. And you know, I already had a couple red tick marks and that was that that put me over the edge. So I had to do first phase all over again, the whole thing.
Speaker 3: So they were really gatekeeping with the beginning of that eight to X ray program.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, oh yeah, yep, absolutely, But I made it through and then I went to a first group, and then I learned pretty quick that I'm not I'm not so special afterwards, because what the hell does a you know, nineteen year old private h private first class. No not, you know, freaking asset to an eighteen. But I did get assigned to an eighteen H. And you know, these guys were all either eighty second Airborne or first or second Range of Battalion. You know, they were badass infantry men. You know, they all had all this infantry experience. I had nothing, zero goose egg, but but it went well. I was fast track and I had by the time I was I think I was a buck start. No maybe steps, But if I was twenty two years old, I had two s fm OS's eighteen Bravo eighteen Echo and I was a Whiskey nine so combat Dive and Halo right by the time I was twenty two. So I was fast tracking, fast tracking, you know, I was high speed load drag at a early age. And first group was fun, you know, but it was all FID stuff. It's peacetime Army. You know, you're not do anything.
Speaker 1: Really, it was a lot of a lot of Thailand, Philippines, Korea at that.
Speaker 2: Thailand, Philippines yep, Bingo, yep, yep, yep. And I love those trips. It was great, you know, I immersed myself in the culture. But uh, out of the blue man, a bunch of us got pulled to this recruiting meeting, you know, like, hey, you meet the requirements, go see this recruiting building number, you know, Hotel one oh four whatever something like that. Uh. And I went there and here's some dude in civilian clothes and long hair, he's in a suit, and he was so freaking vague. Okay, I mean the amount of ambiguity was ridiculous. I I I equate it to will Smith and Men in Black when he's in that room with the with the half dome chairs and he's asking torn, now, what are we doing here again?
Speaker 4: Here's because you're the best of the best of the best. They're not on some inner galactic tugger here. But you know, so it was like it was like what what what O? It's very bague bage. I don't even think he said. I think he said, work in the European theater, you know that kind of stuff.
Speaker 2: Uh, and you're gonna, you know, learn a language it Uh, you gotta grow your hair out. You can have a civilian clothing allowance in this kind of crap. And I'm like, well, damn, that sounds a hell of a lot better than foreign internal defense. I mean that sounds like you know, it's it was interesting. I said, hell yeah, because that's the thing, you know, with with the military, right, it's all about up, getting righting the next thing right. The opportunity presents itself to say, yep, I want that I want that course, I want that course, I want that school. Yep, I want to level up, level up, level up. I want to go to that battalion now or that unit. You know, especially if you're spending a career at it, you want to level up, right, I mean that's the objective, and that should be That's a good metaphor for life too. We should want to always continue to level up. It doesn't end, you know, that cycle. So yeah, they sent me to dl I, you know, Defense Language Institute, Monterey, California, which is an eye opener, and then learn learn German. You think you do you know, and you test out well, you know, yeah three three in freaking German, and then you get there on the ground you realize you don't know shit. Once again, here we go again, you don't know shit because you know, actually speaking to people is a whole lot different than being in the classroom environment and just check and talking to the teacher in nice comfort zone. But yeah, I immersed myself in that too. I mean I would I would talk to small like merchants and uh I joined a uh oh, back to that, back to the job. So that was P. S. S. E. And which was it was? It was cool in that it was it was it was. It was cloak and dagger ship right, so it's it's peacetime army. But we're in the heat of Cold War, right, So I had no idea that these things existed. Most people didn't and most people didn't, but but they do and and they still do. Ship like this still exists. Uh So we were kind of, you know, we we were the backup plan in case the balloon went up in Soviets invaded, so now we'd have a a stay behind for us in Berlin because that was kind of the epicenter for everything spy right. It was in the middle of all the ship plus Berlin sat in the middle of Soviet East Germany too, you know, so uh and it was cool. It was cloaking dagger ship. You're doing a lot. You walk in the streets, you're pounding the pavement a lot, you know, and you're working. You're working routes in case you have to pick up that double agent. You're working routes, your your your your uh uh uh, monitoring signal sites, you're loading dead drop sites. It was all that street craft trade craft stuff. I think they changed the name tradecraft to street craft. But uh, anyway, Pat.
Speaker 1: I just want to point out for viewers out there. P s SC was the unit that preceded or came after Special Forces Detachment A in Berlin. They had to they had to kind of change the cover because it got exposed after Desert one and Go and p s S it. Correct me if I'm wrong. Physical Sensitive Security Element was the name.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, there you go.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Pat, was there was there a reason. I mean when you think of that, when you think of that unit often you think of tenth Group. But they were pulling people from everywhere.
Speaker 2: There was no so that. I think that was another change, right. There was no affiliation with tent group, with PSSC. There was with that a right, no affiliation yep. But it was it was it was. It was fun. It was fun. It was a fun job. You know. It really wasn't that. I wasn't as deep into the Cold War as I thought I was until my next job there. But uh, it was great, man. You you really learned you know, the streets, the subway systems, the s bahns, uh, the merchants, the businesses, the bars, the alleys, you know everything. The shithole hold ship, shithole hotels. Uh. You knew it inside and out. You really got to know that place well. Uh. And it was just like one exercise after the other, you know, with with picking up uh agents and you know, fall off of uh fought agents. But out of the blue, my sergeant major at that unit, uh, he policed me up one day and says, hey, man, there's a there's a guy here. I want you to talk to you. Because the writing was on the wall that pss HE was going to close. The writing was on the wall, right, so that that was that it was going to be short lived. He says, there's a guy here I want you to meet. So I went down. Now, here's his master's sargeant. He's in b t US. I got a freaking mullet in a stupid foud manchew mustache and big fat, stupid German brown boots and a pleather jacket. And he said, hey, uh, I work in another unit here. I'm like, come on, that one sounded This one sounded way cool. So this was u s MLM, the United States Military Liaison Mission and uh he said, basically, what we do is we spy on the Soviet army in Soviet East Germany. And I was like, you gotta be shipped, bro, Yes, where do I sign? And so I went through the interview process and it was all in German, the inniver process, And the first thing he asked me in German was can you explain to me in detail how a thirty five millimeter camera? Uh? I almost said function her operates. I was like yeah, because I yeah, I could do that. But that job was cool as hell. So we had this uh uh it was it was kind of like overt you know, spy your had to do in uniform in a military vehicle, no weapons, no, no, sign no comms. Man, it was so stupid. I had I argued with him about that, about the no comms thing, you know, after I'd been there a while. But uh, yeah, we had a soft cover for action, cover for status, and that was we were liaison unit to the Soviet Army and we actually did some of that, but that would get us into sovieties Germany. And we were issued maps by the Soviet Army. Uh and these maps had big yellow blobs on them, and these blobs were called pras permanently restricted area. That's where all the good shit is. Though, you know, that's all KGB km's and nuke SS twenty four's and you know what, I'm trying to think of the other nuke ones. So not frogs, but you know the new the nukes were s S twenty four's and maybe SS twenty ones. Shit, I forget, it's been a minute, but I used to know every piece of Soviet kit, every single one, because they sent you to a school in Kent in the UK, a British military intelligence school, and you learn, oh my god, man, you dream about Soviet kit in that school. You dream about it, and they have so much of it. I knew everything from flatfish radar to ZILL one three one, to every variant of BTR, to every variant of b MP, every variant of TH eight, you know, to to the aircraft you know, for every MiG, every helo, halo hip, you know, just all of the helicopters. And we were issued passes and that would get us over the Gleinika Bruka into Puttsdam, East Germany. Uh, And we were basically given like a you know, some the missions came from higher up, you know, satellite imagery, that kind of thing. At the time too. East Germany was split into three quarters and we rotated through the quaters because the Brits were doing it and the French were doing it too, and we try to collaborate, you know, change exchange information stuff like that. But a lot of times, uh, the inner agency shit just like anywhere else. You know, it's like knowledge is power. I don't want to give it up, yea, which is freaking bullshit. Bro, we're freaking fighting commies, you know, give me some info here. But that was a very very very exciting and fulfilling job.
Speaker 3: Extremely pat I don't know, if I don't know if you can speak to this and if not. You know, that's fine, totally understand. But you have your cover for status, your cover for action. As these military liaisons, you have these sites that are offully, you know, obviously off limits. You're also under observation. I assume all the time. How do you manage to to like do your job recon you know?
Speaker 2: Ye? Well, fortunately see we also went to military driving school was right hosted by the Bundesnach. I think I got there. I haven't said that word in like twenty years. But uh uh, most of our driving was on like ten trails and such. We were navin. We were navin. This was before GPS. Uh huh. We were naving on one over twenty four thousand topographical maps. That's how we were navit and trip meet around the dashboard, you know, so you're nabbing down tank trails and shit like this, and they then they went forever forever. Then you hit a hardball. When you hit a hard ball, I remember this too. Anytime you hit a hardball off a dirt road, you go the opposite direction for a few hundremeters and then turn around. Because our tire tracks were very distinguishable, and the Stazi was out there looking for us, you know, the East German secret police, but they didn't have people actively looking for us. Okay, but the Soviets knew what we were doing, so and we would we would actively go to training sites and a lot of times we would try to uh elicit information from lower level dudes. You know that weren't hardline commies. I mean you you tempt a freaking private with a Penthouse magazine and some Marblo cigarettes. You're getting some information right right now. And then you sit down with them and you and you share lunch. I remember sharing lunch with these two privates one day. They were caretakers for a training uh uh training training training site, training ground, training area, and they were living in a fox heart when we said uh in which travel in pairs, and one of us speaks fluent Russian and I'm the German speaker, and the guy was asking, how long have you been out here? Yes, this is our third week living in this foxhole. Just garden the training area. And they would get like rations delivered and I called it brown cabbage and cardboard flavored bread. It was so commy. It was so typically calmy, you know. So we made a fire and I'm busting out like you know, crackling oat Brand and Denny Moore beef stew. These guys nearly ship themselves evil temptations of the West. Dude, I come from the Big seven eleven in the sky. Bro That's where I come from, you know, that conscript army ship man. You know, we were so freaking spoiled. We're so spoiled. We're so spoiled. We have no idea, you know, we have such first world problems. I've seen sobs get freaking hammered, hammered on ana freeze hammered. I've seen. I went into a barracks once all the troops were out to the field SA eleven SA eleven compound, and we we we've watched them leave on buses and a lot of them were in formation. We we snuck up, we observed for a minute. We made a little racket too, to see if anybody was in there, you know, and nobody. So we went in to this barracks and there was bulletin boards and we were snapping the ship taking pictures and everything, and and and the smell and there was putric in this barracks and ammonia was killing my eyes in my nose my science. It's like, what the what is this? What is this? And there was a stairwell went downstairs to a basement and there was some windows. You know. Uh. We we walked down the stairs and realized the plumbing of this barracks shipped the bed. No, man, I can't believe I used that term with this story. So they just they just drained all of the ship and piss right into the basement, right into the basement. Oh my god. Uh you know. So it's funny the ship we pissed the moan about. But that was yeah, it was a it was a cool, cool uh time in history for me.
Speaker 1: Hey, guys, I want to tell you about the sponsor for tonight's show, which is True Work. They make performance workware that's built like it matters because it does. In the fall, the weather change is real fast. It can be hot, cold, wet, windy, sometimes all during one shift. So you want performance workware that will carry you through the entire day, like these pants that I'm wearing here today. True Work was founded by a trade professional who is tired of wet, heavy gear weighing him down. True Work set out to make workwhere that keeps professionals comfortable, capable, and ready for whatever the day throws at them. They're designed with advanced performance fabrics for lasting comfort, all day mobility, in year round job site protection. Every piece is tested on job sites with trade professionals, so in conditions change, you're still ready. This product right now has over fifty thousand five star reviews from professionals and every trade and every climate. So I really enjoy wearing these pants. I think you will too. I hope you'll go check them out. This is the T two meter workpant. It's durable, flexible, water resistant. The thing I really like is that they're stretchy, like this is something like you could even like actually work out in if you really wanted to, but certainly during the workday when you're bending over and crouching over and picking things up, these are very comfortable. It also has like some like a lining inside, so it's comfortable, you know, around your hips and like where your belt would go. They also make the M three would be Hoodie, which is wind resistant, insulated and very comfortable. And they make the Tower Parka, which is a fully weatherproof and insulated jacket designed for cold wet job sites. And they also have a line of flannel shirts that I hope you guys will go and take a look at. So upgrade your day with work where built like it matters. Get fifteen percent off your first order at true work dot com with the code house that's t r U e W e r K dot com and the promotion code to get fifteen percent off is house h.
Speaker 2: O U S.
Speaker 1: Thanks guys, all right back to you.
Speaker 3: At the time, like you know, you're a young Joe and like enjoying the high speed life. Do you realize how much a part of history you are.
Speaker 2: At that point in time? Man? No, hell no, does anybody when they're when they're when they're there? I mean when the when the Berlin Wall came down, I was right there, ANDREI Reunification. I had no idea the gravity of that, no idea.
Speaker 1: Can you tell us a little bit about that? Like you look like man, dude listening to like front two four two and I'm trensende Neubotin out there the like industrial music as the wall comes down, where your leather jacket and the mustache and the glass it's badass.
Speaker 2: Well, what was I.
Speaker 1: Mean, what was that like being there when when this historic event happened.
Speaker 2: It, you know, it kind of snuck up on us, right, It was like all of a sudden one right, right, this reunification is gonna happen. What's first step? First step is wall comes down? Right, you know, because because walking down a reunification didn't happen till ninety one. Yeah, so I can't even imagine the logistics there. What went on you know in between there? Right, But it was both. I was I was partying at both. The wall coming down not much of a party, tell you the truth, really, not like reunification, bro. Reunification is when everybody start, you know, when the gates open. Yeah. Uh, families are getting together that haven't yet. I mean yeah, I don't think anybody realized that they partied all the way through the night until the sun came up, because nobody was We weren't in nobody's in bars and stuff. People were just bringing booze from every corner and crevice and glove box and trunk. You know. So right there under the uh uh the uh not the condectness, Kirsha, but the uh uh ship Brandon Burtour fuck ship right by the Brandon burg Touri. You know. So that's what a big party was and just thousands and thous and some people and fires and fireworks and bands just setting up. And I think David Hasselhoff was there too. I think he was responsible for us probably probably.
Speaker 1: And with PSSC. I mean, were you there looking to scoop up some documents or maybe find defectors? I mean, what what were you guys looking at?
Speaker 2: No? Not at that point. At that point like reunification, I was looking for another job. Because the wall comes down and we're reunified. Well huh so, and that was the end of it. You know, now I have to I have to find a job. Yeah. So that's when I went to selection for the unit. Okay, gotcha, yep, because once again, level up? What's what do I do now? After this ship? Because this was cool as hell? Right? What is there? There was only one thing, only one thing right, And to me, there was so much mystique there. I knew, I knew guys there. I had some buds that went. I knew nothing about the unit or nothing at all. Went to selection and I failed. I was like, well, damn bro, I had to go back to Germany. And then I volunteered to go to Swick. You know, Special Warfare Center to be an instructor because I want because they gave me a second chance. The unit said you could come back to selection. I had broken ankle. Uh, so they said make it a full year, make sure you're ready, that you're strong. And I was like, hell yeah, bro. Not only that, but it was a risk and a half volunteering for Swick because it was a four year commitment and nobody wants to be in swear. That's a that's a that's a that's up nailing a coffin, you know, that's a that's a bad place to be. I mean, there are good places in Swick, but I was on like the Commo committee terminating traffic. Yeah. Uh. And then when again a year later and I did well, I was like, oh, hell yeah, man, who uh? And then planted planned my ass there for thirteen years. And then it was you know, continuously trying to level up once again, level up, level up, level up, and not only in like team positioning or unit, even against individuals because I had a bit of an ego right about me because I was I was a top performer most places where that I went, top performer. I get to the unit and I realized I'm mediocre. I'm mediocre now maybe at the like top tier mediocre, right, but still mediocre, and I continue to be that way for years, just mediocre because it was there's a it was amazing. It was the best best place, uh you could ever work out ever. But it comes with a price, you know, long work hours, uh, a lot of uh, a lot of st us, a lot of risk, a lot of injury. And the stress was because you're always on the bubble. They reserved the right to fire your stinking assid any given second, and it was easy to get fired from there, So you were always on the bubble, always short string, no, I say short string. They gave you a lot of slack, you know, they pulled, they tons of slack, but at the end of that slack, it's an abrupt.
Speaker 3: Pull when you when you say it was easy to get fired there, like, what were some of the reasons that you saw guys fired that they might not get fired in other units?
Speaker 2: Tons of them?
Speaker 4: Uh u U.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you A wake up call for me was my first squadron training exercise, right, first squadron hit. I don't know if I shared this with with many people, this one here first squadron hit I see a fly stand by. Oh yeah, baby, so squadron hit multiple breach points. We all, I'm on that. I'm on like the best team in the unit. These guys were just top dogs and everything, physical, shooting, tactics, all that shit. Multiple breach points, simultaneous boom teams enter multiple breach points. I go into the first room and I go click instead of bang. I didn't think. I mean, my immediate action was fast, right, because I knew what happened, So slaprack, you know, instead of transitioning, I just slap rack. Slap racking got to work. And I was like, I hope nobody saw that my troops are major seat. I mean, dude, dudes' are omnipotant. You know, when you get to that level, they're they're omniptant. They're gonna see every freaking thing. And my troops at major saw and he docked me my my proficiency pay for the month. Wow, So hit me right in the pocket book. And that was a big race. It was like two hundred dollars or something like that. I forget it was substantial, right, you know, on a g I S right paycheck, But that fast and he and he also said, he goes, hey, uh uh, you're on a shorter you know, shorter string. Now, right, something like this happens again, we're gonna have to let you go. So it wasn't because I was like being negligent or doing something idiotic or moral and ethical. But they're going to fire you. And there's a difference, right, So when dudes do that ship or like nds, they happened, they happen, right, especially when you're when you're when you're training that much. Depending on the circumstance, a lot of times they'll fire you for a year and uh bring you back as a relook and allow you to come back again. But anything moral or ethical dilemma anything like that, you're gone. Easy. You're done so compared to other units. Yeah, that's easy, you're out of here. Fire anything any kind of moral ethical you know, so lying, uh, d u y, cheating, you know, any of that stuff, you are freaking absolutely gone. Also, if you wane or if you're falling behind in performance. Now, if you're a good dude and you're falling behind the performance, they might find a job for you in a different part of the building. You're not going to be a door kicker, you're not going to be an operator. But yep, very easy to get fired. And I love that. I love the accountability portion, you know, I loved it. I loved it. I mean it was heartbreaking sometimes having buds, like because I knew guys, who would I knew three people similar story. This one though, was kind of extreme. The guy was in on the weekend because dudes winning all the time, and trained, went out to train, came back, went into his vault. Nobody's there. It's like, I don't know, seven or eight in the morning. I think he was doing night fire, you know, and Sunday comes back. He's putting his guns away and he freaking he sends one right into the floor. A d you know, he could have put some freaking putty on that thing. He turned himself in. You know, nobody was there. I know three dudes have turned themselves in for ND's three of them. Three guys turned themselves in. Nobody was there. They turned One guy was a semunitions round. He turned himself in. Wow wow, Yeah, yep, but uh, I mean it's it was nice working in that type of environment, very nice. It was so cool, so freaking cool.
Speaker 1: Pat what else?
Speaker 2: What? What? What?
Speaker 1: Just sorry? What what year did you get to the unit? And to the extent that you can talk about, like what was what was sort of the atmosphere in the unit at that time as far as like what was happening in the world. You mentioned the wall, Oh yeah, like what what was the mission set that you were kind of training for and looking at?
Speaker 2: So I got there ninety two and immediately so a year later, I'm on this hot ship team. In May of ninety three, I get ones on my page or because we're going to get id'd, you know, we're going to get id'd and Somalia going to snatch him up or kill. I think it was didn't matter kill. I didn't think he needed to be captured. Is that the capture kill?
Speaker 4: Right? Right?
Speaker 2: Right? I mean, oh, you give me an option there, right, capturing somebody's hard man?
Speaker 3: Yeah, capture kill briefs fine, even if you you know, well, he got he killed, he resisted, but it was a capture killed out.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So we trained our asses off man. We went you know strictly uh priority for all unit assets three weeks and then and then it got passed to another squadron. Uh. And then it got passed to another one, and you know, we were just passing down Hey, this is just some of the stuff we learned and doing this and that, and we just pass on the info and so Sea Squadron went So after that a big focus. This was kind of cool. Wait, let me think about this, let me think about this. Nope, I'm not going to talk directly about that. I will say the next boogeyman that we were going after was Kadafi. Yeah, so he was on the radar, so cool stories associated with that, but uh, not super comfortable talking about the deets on that one. So Kadafi, and then there was we were doing some and I'll be kind of vague on this one. We were doing some undercover stuff which put us into parts of the world that we didn't have complete autonomy, right, but uh, but the next thing that emerged was, you know, Bosnia and this new thing called Pipwick's right persons incited for war crimes. So that the the that war had finished ninety five ninety six ish, you know, I think ninety six that was it. That was it done done? Not even sniper fire. Uh, you know, I was on Hillary Clinton's detail. Yeah, when she was under sniper fire so you can confirm snipers. It was Tusla, like one of the safest places in the world.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Ship. And on that trip to Cheryl Crow hit on me really yeah yeah. Yeah, that's back when she was hot too, Yeah, when all she wanted to do was have some fun boom yeah yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: Well was that like a U s O tour like some yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: They came over with like I think it was Sindbad Chryl Crow, and then Hillary came over with Chelsea. But yeah, there was I made a bunch of like goofy uber lib politicians in the mid nineties over there, Mike uh, Geraldine Ferraro, Madeline Albright. She was kind of cool even though she was an uber lib but she was kind of cool still. But anyway, so the so later nineties, you know, the Pifwicks come to play Person's indicted for war crimes. These guys are badass, man, you know. So now we're back to oh we have to actually scarf these guys up, and they got to go to the Hague. You know, we can't just send out a drone or put a sniper in a in a up the uh you know, a hide sight. This ship's got to be surgical as hell.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: And I got a few of those guys. Yeah, I got the first one. His name is Christick, uh, General Christick, and then a couple other big names. Uh. But real freaking neat ship. I wish I could talk explicit about that, but eh, yeah, no need to need to.
Speaker 3: This is something that was really right up your rally, just from your previous missions in Germany, right yep, yep, yep.
Speaker 2: Yeah it was cool, you know, because it was all playing clothes. It was cloaking dagger ship, right yep. But it was it was kind of like, you know what the unit was made to do, you know what I mean, this kind of stuff. Uh. And that was that was man, it was just bad. It was bad, badass yeah uh uh. And that that fizzled out because we got them, We got them are uh. And then I was an S and T selection and training for for a couple of years. The bomber of that story is, while it was an S and T nine eleven, nine eleven, which means everybody's deploying, but Schmuck's an we're not doing it anywhere nowhere. By the time I got over there, dudes had one hundred and fifty combat hits you know, in country or more. Yeah, and here I am. I was a oh and I was I made a nine by that point. So here I am E nine taking orders from a staff sergeant, which I didn't mind at all. Bro E nine a private E nine? Hell yeah. The unit was probably one of the only places where you could be a private E nine. You know, to make me a door kicker is E nine? Hell yeah?
Speaker 3: Pat, I mean you're actually a great authority then on this because being an S and T, how were those guys that were going over and then coming back, how were tactics and training involving?
Speaker 2: Were they getting fed directly? You guys?
Speaker 3: Were was were was the training course evolving? Like on the spot sort of?
Speaker 2: In that pretty much stayed it was. It's it's so perfectly designed. It pretty much stayed exactly the way it is. Okay, pretty much exactly the way it is, yep, because it was it was designed for that in mind, that kind of ship counter terrorism stuff. So it did not change one freaking bit. What did change was influx and people wanting to get to the unit because we were getting some man, right, I mean, people were you know, there were there were a lot of like special Forces teams and stuff getting some and other special opportunity. But we were like it was non stop, non stop, so guys really wanted to get there because a lot of a lot of people weren't doing ship you know. But yeah, the the OTC, the operator traders course stayed, stayed pretty much exactly the same.
Speaker 1: And so what what was it like by the time you got over to Afghanistan.
Speaker 2: I didn't go to Afghanistan. I'm sorry, toy sto Iraq. Real short trips. Uh it was it was still uh target rich, you know, because it was four and five. Oh yeah, oh four. I didn't do ship man because man, this is kind it's kind of cool though too. The unit sent me over because I was at the man this was this is a ship detail. But but I did it. Uh. It was at the end of my s and T I had no team, I had no squadron, I had no body. Uh, and they set me over to Iraq to to check out what the support element was doing, the mechanics, the engineers, the logist loge, uh logistics guys, the cooks, all that, you know, to check them out to see how their security was and man, it was bad. It was bad, bad, bad bad, bye bad bad.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: So I did a lot of O j T on the ground with them because they were doing hiris ship man, they were getting shot at more than we were. Uh. And then they uh, the unit brought me back and I built a course for the support element. I built a course what like, I'm mini OTC dude. It was two weeks, very very intensive. Yeah, all all the basic tactics stuff shooting right, so right from BRM to multiple target engagements, to to pistol work and then to the uh all of the crucive weapons. Damn it, man, I had I don't use these terms often anymore, but so all the crucive weapons, so anything that was belt fed or shoulder carried. We train them all on that. A lot of driving, a lot of vehicle based scenarios, a lot of first aid. So now these guys are going back over. When I went back over with my former squadron, we were taking them out with us and they were like on street corners, cooks, bro Yeah, a man in a MAG fifty eight. It was cool as hell. Yeah, cool as hell. But uh, and I really like that time. I'm working with them because dude, talk about appreciation because they idolized us, you know, the support Element idolized US operators, and now you're chummy chummy with them and you're teaching them all this cool freaking commando shit and they're like, what the fuck, This is the best thing ever. And then they're doing shit with freaking operators on the ground. Yeah, man, and it's manning. It's manning freaking security positions. But that's a big freaking nickel for an engineer, for a cook or a mechanic. Yeah, you know, you're on a freaking a mod deuce fifty cow and some of these guys like got into firefights like waw, you know, ripping rounds down down alleyways.
Speaker 1: The mechanics can be so salty because you know, we just break all their ship and then get great by now they're getting to.
Speaker 2: Go out on the operation.
Speaker 3: And cooks are the hardest working people in the military. I mean, you know, so to get some love is like yeah, brilliant, yeah, so good, so good.
Speaker 2: But that's what makes the unit so freaking just absolute badass man. You know, I spent a lot of time training my element over there. I would shoot with him. Every week I would have an open range day and they where they could come out and run like scenarios form and yeah, but yeah, So I stayed till two thousand and five. I retired in two thousand and five. Two thousand and five, who and then life started. Right, It's like, what do I do now after I since I've grown up? What the hell? You know? In that transition could be spooky. Yeah, I did have some groundwork set already. I picked a little hanging fruit and took a job. Even before I retired. I got offered a job corporation to a military contract stuff pay me more, and I was like, you know, in familiar territory. I was like, yeah, yeah, yeah, good good. And it sucked man, now that you know, since I'm out on my own. Even when I was on my so I worked for that corporation for about four or four and a half years and they made me off. Best thing that could ever happened to me. Scary, one of the scariest moments in my life too, because I have family, little kids, all this shit, but probably one of the best things that could have happened for growth. Right, right, we need to be very uncomfortable in order to grow, right, because we need to, we get uncomfortable, we need to we need to ship that exoskeleton and put on another exoskeleton that's a little bit bigger, right. Uh. But when I got laid off, I was like, dude, what in them? I mean? I I uh. I confided in a bunch of buddies of mine that had their own businesses, and they all said that they could get me work. But they all said the same thing, just do it on your own, Just do it on your own. And man, I did, and it worked out. It worked out. Now, Ebbs and flows right when you run your own I mean deep dark holes, highs, just one freaking thing after the other. It never stopped ebbs and flows. I mean, but I was doing well. But I knew I was working a lot this.
Speaker 1: We're doing tactical marksmanship courses and things like that.
Speaker 2: Yep, yep, yep yep. And I had a full uh you know, slate man. Everybody wanted it. I was doing. I was doing something that nobody else had. I was doing what I call performance based training. So I was training dudes kind of like a a sports psychologist would train a professional athlete. I mean, that's like what's the difference, man, That's what I would tell you. You know, what's the difference. You're you're basically a professional athlete when you're at that level, So let's train like professional athletes. But so twenty ten is when I generated tam Max my company, and I was working my ass off the same time going through it. Just an absolute bludgeon fest of marriage, a tail end tail end. It was real bad, real bad. I'd married something. You know, at the beginning of this, it was six in your relationship at the beginning of it is cool. She just lovested me that she had some healthy ish mental issues, but she was taking meds and everything. But pretty soon, you know, bipolar. So but pretty soon she started abusing the meds right and drinking on them. Now, that fucks up the neural receptors in your head real bad. You know, when you're abusing prescription meds, which are absolute poison. If you're on prescription meds, try to get off of them. There's plenty of alternatives out there. Mother nature knews how to take care of us. Oh man, that shit drives me crazy. So she became a rave, absolute, raving lunatic, just delusional and paranoid. It was bad, bad, bad, bad, bad, bad bad bad. For years. I lived in a bonus room above my garage for five years, but I finally that one came to then, thanks to the police in my town. Long story. I'd go on for freaking two hours on that one. And that was two thousand thirteen. Twenty thirteen was my worst year and my best year, all wrapped in one, all wrapped in one. See those of you out there listening who did any kind of government contract stuff in twenty thirteen, you remember this thing called sequestration. Sequestration, bro, My calendar was full twenty thirteen. You know, Secret Service Border Patrol eighty second they're born, just one after the other. Sequestration happened in January twenty thirteen. Light switch click, no work, Wow, you got no work? And I mean, you know, And I'm at the tail end of a doors, right that's January March. I move out, and I'm assuming this debt because we already been through a few mediations and I've been through tons of mediations already, right, tons of I am spending so much on lawyers and trying to clear this debt. It was after it was an absorbited in him out. I'm not even gonna mention the number. It was ridiculous because I didn't even know that you could run like a debit card as a credit card, you know, because my ex was doing all this shit. I had no idea, and I had to assume all this shit. Oh my god, because I thought it was just a debit card. You know, it's debit, it's that card. But some of them come with, you know, thirty thousand dollars worth of credit. Surprise, it was a lot of them. But so thirteen that all that shit happened, I move out. I'm close to my kids. I'm five hundred yards away in a condo. Uh. Sequestration, not getting paid. Just one freaking shit storm after the other.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: September twenty thirteen, when I met, when I meet, my current life, which was which has been? It's been, It's been a it's been a dream come true. Remember earlier I said second chance on life. That was the first time I got a second lease on life. I will tell you about the second time later. This is the second time. Not many of us get that, you know, second lease on life. So in order to get a second lease on life, shit's got to be pretty bad, right, you know, you gotta be down and out, you got to be a maybe a junkie, or or go completely bankrupt or you know, shit's got to be bad. You know you've suffered major loss.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: So that's when I meet Rebecca too. And man, I just started life all but at the time that was two and I was forty eight years I'm forty eight years old. I had to start life all over again at forty eight years old. But it's been great. And you know what pains me. I've said this on podcasts before. I said this, and this, this is this is a scary thought. This gives me. This makes me cringe knowing what I have right now, knowing you know what I have right now, Yeah, and being as happy and content and satisfied and busy as I am right now. I would do all that ship over again. I would do all that I would do. I would I would one do all that bullshit. I would live in that bonus room for five years. I would be accused of being of of of cheating six seven, eight times a day, having the cops come over showing them how I'm bugging the house, how the TV's bugged. How I'm operating the TV from Il Passo through my cell phone? How you know? Uh uh I The accusations were just freaking stupid. It was so there was so many of them. But I would, I would change it. I would. I wouldn't change any of that because of what I have.
Speaker 3: You know, a lot of guys, especially a lot of a lot of guys coming from those high performing units, you know, have a difficult time transitioning into the civilian to begin with.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, you go from from six.
Speaker 3: Steta zero as they say. You know, not only did you have that going on, but you had these, you know, really challenging issues at home where probably your own reality was being challenged on a daily basis, right, Like, you're trying to deal with this transition to begin with, and then you have somebody who's like trying to impose this sort of psychotic frame over over your world. How how did you manage all that at the same time?
Speaker 2: Were you dealing with it?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 2: No, no, no, Now I'll tell you how you manage it. You got to stay busy, right, So you said sixty to zero. You can't go to zero. You've got to stay around sixty you've got to stay. I don't give a shit if that's working, if that's you know, becoming an entrepreneur or plowing a field. You've got to be mission focused. There's got to be meaning in your life. Fulfillment. You've got to have it because you've had it for so long. Especially career military guys. You know, career military, they've got they need that. They need that camaraderie, that teamwork, that fulfillment, that work with meaning. I I didn't. I was dealing with it well initially. But when I when I was going through the last five years of that marriage, it was it was bad. It was real bad. I was I found myself in a very very deep, dark hole. It was like the pit of despair. I like to say that I could joke about any portion of my life, any injury, any mishap, the want. This one, though, is hard for me to joke about, but it's important to talk about. I ran into a massive three to four year long spell of depression. I had no idea what depression is. But I was almost quitting. I was quitting on me. I was quitting. I was quitting. I was quitting. I was accepting mediocrity. Did you know you were sorry. Did you know you were quitting or was it? Nope, there was I had no idea. I was so tired of hearing and having to you know, you know, hearing I'm going to take a fall down the stairs, call the cops and tell them you pushed me. You know. It was just non stop or having the cops come and say, hey, we found your wife in the village and she's drunken on drugs. I was so tired. I was just tired, tired, tired. It was non stop. There was not a day break. There wasn't a day not a daybreak. I doubt that there were a couple hours of break in there, because even when I would go on trips, I'm I'm in, like I mentioned, like l Pass or training the border patrol, and my phone would ring non fucking stop, NonStop. Yeah.
Speaker 1: How after after a while, your your nerves are shot, you know, Yeah, your your NEU receptors are shot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, there I was. I was almost done. But then I had an epiphany moment. And I mentioned this before in a couple of podcasts, but I think it's worth re mentioning. I had an epiphany moment U and it was mainly because I was talking to my my my son. He was a sweet, little cute as hell boy at the time, and I was ship faced, drunk out of my mind because I was drinking all day long every day. And I realized I told him, I said, James, I don't just I don't just love you. I am in love with you. And he started crying. I don't know how old he was, I forget. I could do the math. I'n to figure out. Probably eight or something like that, but maybe younger sid six. Uh. And I realized, man, and I put him in bed. I realized, this kid needs me. Man, he needs me. I have to be around. And I said, well, I don't know where this came from. But I put up my running shoes, set an alarm clock, put out my iPod, got up early. It was a Saturday or so, it was a weekend day, and I just started. I just started running. You know. It was like a forest gump thing. What do I do? And let me just go for a run. And dude, I ran for like an hour and a half. I mean it was a long time. I didn't run across Greenbelt County, but you know, I ran for I ran for a long time. And then I came back and I did not want to go inside. I had to go inside to get food before I go up to my bonus room, but I didn't want to go in there. Uh. And then I realized, well, I'm going to work out more here in the driveway. And as I'm working out, a couple things came to mind. One is I felt relief, you know, after that run. Relief, I mean good like I was remembering who the fuck I was. I was remembering this, and I said to myself, I will not. You will not defeat me. I will not be defeated. There's no freak away, there was no way. And and that's what I made up that mind, right, did I just got I just gave myself goosebumps. Yeah, I will not. And then and another part of me was saying, yeah, but bro, you're You're buried. You're buried, And I said nope. I counter argued, I said, nope, I have been planted. I'm gonna grow out of this ship. I'm gonna fucking grow out of it, and I'm gonna get better. I'm gonna get stronger. So worse than best year, worst and best year, but that was one of the highlights right there that changed that that old school mindset, you know, just a uh, you know, good sanity check. But it's back. It's back to your origin story, right. It's that is that you're not gonna break me.
Speaker 1: Nope, it's so it's so like, I mean, I'm really glad that you're able to share that story. It's just so strange to think of like a depressed Pat McNamara.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, yeah, yeah, I'm used to taking high energy faking my ass off.
Speaker 1: The dude, the dude who's in better shape than guys half his age. I mean, that's just Pat McNamara. Yep, that is true.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: I think one of the things that's hard with that's what other situation and not even people who aren't vets, you know, even our civilian friends, is people who are really deep in it. They're often faking, right. A lot of the people who are crying out for help like like they're not quite there yet. But it's when a when a dude or when a person is faking it that that we have no idea where they're at, but they're they're spiral and hard.
Speaker 2: A lot of times, you know, if a guy is suffering from that, like depression of alcoholism. They're not going to You're not going to notice a call for help. You need to either really know him, know him really well, or or assume yeah, because I've talked to guys. I've talked to guys out you know who got out after I recovered from all this and got my shit together, and I just saw something. You know, they were bitter, you know what I mean, better, And a couple guys looked at me like I had a dick grown out of my forehead. But they so appreciated it where I pulled him aside and say, hey, man, come out sometime, get out. I know you said you don't come out. Come out, come out and get a pint. Here's my number, give me a shot sometime. So I'm not saying that, I know, you know what I mean. I'm not putting them in a bad position, right, but I am opening the door, and so many of them have taken it, and afterwards they've gone, dude. I cannot fucking tell you how much I appreciate because the guys are crying for help. I don't think they have a real breaking issue.
Speaker 1: I really don't.
Speaker 2: The guys who are seriously fucked up. You're not gonna know it unless you know them, or assume, or you assume. You assume. Dude, you've been through a lot of shit, you know. I will assume to the point where my guy's happy and he's out, because I just did this recently. I was chatting with the guy my local pub. Yeah, I'm retiring. I say, hey, bro, do do yourself a favor. Stay connected, Stay connected with your old buds. Just stay connected. Just do that, because I didn't. And the connection is the cure. I stole that U line from Josh Collins, buddy mine, but that connection is definitely the cure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, did you find yourself isolating a lot during that period of time?
Speaker 2: Hell yeah, dude, I wasn't. I knew nobody I knew. Yeah, But anytime I was out and about or you know, on a training gig, I faked the hell out of it, right right, fake you freaking hell out of it. Who get you some blaze off baby? You know all the freaking pat mac shit. So just bloviating. I was all freaking theater, all of it. So tell us about the second Lisa Life. What were are the second second Lease On Life? What was what was that next lifetime life period that you went on to live. Dude, it's the one I'm living right now now. It's I'll give you the reader's digest version. So meeting Rebecca changed changed change my life, right. So now I had meaning again, but I was working. I was busy again. So in twenty thirteen, I found work, I found more. I was able to regenerate. But I felt good. I had this renewed enthusiasm, you know. And and I just felt good. I was motivated, and I had the discipline to to to kind of nurture the motivation. Uh And and when when I met Rebecca, I was, Dude, there's so many corny lines I'm gonna say, but one of them is I never I never knew what it meant in my adult lifetime until I met Rebecca to truly fall in love with somebody. I never knew until I'm her, never knew it. And now that I have it, I like it. And it's We've been together almost ten years. We haven't had a crossword. She's my best friend. I miss She's at school right now. She's going to school full time, uh, for to be a psychologist. And I'm like dude, I can't wait for you to come home. So we figure a glass of wine together and watch some TV. But worked, we were we both we worked our asses off, man. But uh uh uh sweat equity, you know, with with freedom through discipline. Yeah, with discipline comes freedom. So we both worked and worked and worked. So for ten years, ten years, I did four courses a month, traveling on a plane for most of them. Ten years. Brutal. Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah yeah, with two with two big publican cases, shitty flight, shitty rental car, shitty hotel, shitty range, get back on a Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, maintenance Thursday, you plan your trip Friday, your back on a play. Ten years, ten years, and then what happens the virus from China, China kinda virus, So the lockdown happened. I refused to call it a pandemic. The lockdown happened.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: And that was man, that was a gift. That was such a freaking absolute gift for me, because.
Speaker 3: That allowed me to adjust my life right in your business plant, yeah yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah. So I don't travel anymore to do work. It's all local generated a couple of new businesses like you mentioned at the beginning. I have a online coaching squad that pat Matt keep the Blaze Live Coaching squad on Patreon, about over four hundred members on that it's really that talk about fulfillment, you know, job satisfaction, because it's not it's it's not like a job. The folks. I have developed a relationship of, you know, with four hundred some new people, several of uh of whom I've met in person because we'll do bi annual meetups. So extremely eclectic group. The skill sets are all over the map. Uh So I have that I you know, I had the fitness program and the combat strength training and I sell those resistance bands. And after you know, Coronication, everybody was doing home gym. So I was like, dude, I could I could just be the rubber band man. I was making a living selling rubber bands. I was like, damn, this ship people want because because I developed these bands that are tubular instead of the flat ones, you know, so they just last long, they're so versatile.
Speaker 3: Where where if people wanted to buy some of those bands, where would they find them?
Speaker 2: I just thought, I don't have any in stock right now. But they're they're off of my like link tree on my tax Inc. Insta, Instagram or off my website tmax Inc. But yeah, and then my buddy c J and I have this podcast, University of bad Assory. Uh. We do a bunch of mini vlogging and uh on my YouTube channel, which is a lot of fun, you know. So I'm I'm very busy because you gotta stay busy, right, yeah, you got to. I'm writing, I'm I'm I'm writing a kid's book. I am doing more drawings. I've opened my calendar up to doing private uh one on one classes. I'm still doing the fitness uh training, you know, online training and programming and uh and trying to stay fit as ship in the process, which you know who it gets tougher, it gets tougher to no doubt. If this shit don't get easier, you know now you know, don't get easier. But you know what, you know what I have, You have this advantage. I have a and I always want to tell them my so my fan base, my my my audience. Right, so like half million on Instace shizzle and fifty thousand on LinkedIn, and uh, you know, I don't know that millions and millions of views on YouTube channel. They motivate me because they always ask how do you stay motivated? It's like, bro, you motivate me. I'm doing this shit for you because I know you're looking forward to it. You're counting on me. I have to post this workout because you're counting on me. So I always have to thank my my fan base because I got it. It would be real hard to do it without them, real hard. You know that.
Speaker 3: I think that anybody that came from, you know, the spec ops community would have something to teach people that that hadn't been through that.
Speaker 2: But you really have.
Speaker 3: Outside of that, right, outside of that Special Operations experience, you have some real life experience, some real times of overcoming adversity and what that means and continually doing it and like being there like we can, Like you said, we all fake it at some point in time, right, we all fake it. But you've been about as deeply down as a human can be.
Speaker 2: And that close, that close to capitulation, and and and and you know, and.
Speaker 3: And you say, you know, you say two leases on life, and it's it feels like you've had at least three, because the one with your son sounds like another one where.
Speaker 2: Well, that was part of it, that was part of that was that was part of the second one, because that was all that was a lead in, you know.
Speaker 3: And and it's to me, it's just such an inspiring, an amazing story. And somebody doesn't have to be a you know, special operations want to be uh in order to find you know, inspiration from you because it's a very human story.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, and you know what, you you've probably seen this about me. I don't pound my chest and talk special special ops in Delta Park in use of sab blah blah. I don't. I don't. I'm not one of these. Rest on your laurels, Mamma jamas. I was a bad ass yesterday, but I'm a bad ass tomorrow. So I'm not gonna talk a lot about that, right you know, I mean, I mean, you know, if guys are interested, hell yeah, but that doesn't define me, right. What defines me is me right now, right here, and what I'm going to do tomorrow, which is get drunk.
Speaker 3: Can we talk about your pontalism a little bit?
Speaker 2: Sorry, you have several they're all most most of what I do. Or I have a Bird of Prey series, so I'm bird you know, bird guy. I don't have any right here? Who I got one on the wall there. It's got a glass frame. But this is an example. This is one I did a few years back. So this is a military one, so not bird of prey uh s f one like before and after. You know we're then and now. But if I were able to get it close enough, you can see that this is all comprised of dots. I don't think the y yep. Yeah, so the whole thing is dots. You know, it's all it's all for your dots. That's amazing. So with a you know, with a point uh to any point two five rapidiograph drafting pen. Yeah, but yeah, it's fun. Is that?
Speaker 1: Is that sort of like a meditative thing? Pat that like you're in the zone.
Speaker 2: It is very I have a bunch of I am hobby heavy, hobby heavy, hobby heavy, and they're all therapeutic. Yeah, bird watching, the gardening, the fishing, the drawing, the photography. Uh oh shit was on. There's more. I do everything or and if I don't, I aspire. I want to do everything. I don't aspire to do everything. I want to do as much as much as possible. I want to learn, you know, or learn to do things. I think it's good to be interesting. You don't want your brain to become stagnant. You know, when you see something that's interesting and you say that'd be cool to learn that, well go fucking learn it, man, you know, put one just one foot, just one foot in front of the other, and see what happens. You know, because a lot of times we'll say that ship, but we won't start ran is a start point. You don't have to commit. But if you if you start right, that'd be cool. That'd be cool. I would like to learn how to do that. What's the next step? Let me watch a YouTube video on this, but just easy as that. It's as easy as you know. And then and then you could take it one step further, you know, if it appeals. But yeah, I like to do shit. I like to do things. I like to do that. I have to say this one, you know, the basic dude stuff.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, what what do you what were? Where would you like to be? I mean you're a young guy. Still where would you like to be in five or ten years?
Speaker 2: You know? I think I would like to be like, uh, retired, retired, But busy. But what I mean by busy is doing something with my hands, plowing a field, building a dam, you know, doing something grandiose. I always thought it would be cool to build a castle, you know, to live by a river and use the river rock to build a castle. I want to be I wanted. I want to defy age. I want to be as fit as hell for as long as possible, too, because I know what it's like to not be fit. I know what it's like to hurt. Yeah, And and I think we take for granted what feeling good feels like. Oh yeah, how about this. I think we take for granted what not feeling like shit feels like. Yeah, because a lot of people don't know what feeling good feels like, because they've never felt like shit, you know, they've through it for an extended period of time. But I think, you know, I'm an outdoorsman. I want to spend more time just walking around looking at stuff, taking photos, fishing in streams that no white man is fished out of, you know, getting way up into the mountains, and just ripping freaking lips with the smallest you know, twenty two size twenty two fly. And yeah, I just that kind of thing. But I still want to be busy. You know. People say, yeah, when I retire, it's going to be a sandy beach and cigar.
Speaker 3: I think through that, bro, I call that a two day vacation, right, and.
Speaker 2: Then after that, I'm like, dude, I have to do something. I gotta I gotta stay busy, you know I could. I've thrown a lot around a lot of ideas when I retire, I might go back to work, I might go back to school. I thought it'd be cool to get a teaching degree. Mhm that I don't need to teach full time. Just put me on as a substitute teach. Yeah, make some sh interesting. I gotta make a boring subject interest, Like I would take geography from you. I can see Pat mac us history teacher. I think I think that well. I think that's one of the things I want to do. So I have a target demographic with a lot of the stuff that I'm doing, and it's younger people. I want to have a positive influence on younger people, you know, kids to teenagers, because yeah, they need it. They need it right now. Yeah they need That's cool, man. Do we have any questions for Pat we've got to so oh.
Speaker 1: Questions from the viewers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, for sure, I'm gonna pour a little.
Speaker 2: Bit myself so in the face. Thank you very much.
Speaker 3: When are Pat Maclarry Vickers, Paul Howe, and Kyle Lamb gonna do the most epic podcast ever together?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that'd be a hard one to coordinate. Hun. All those guys are busy as shit, man, I mean, and you know what, they're all great. I know those guys and man, they're all really really. People don't pay them enough credit. I don't think or no, let me back up, people in my industry, my community don't pay them enough credit. I mean, they have paved the way, you know, Larry and Paul and Kyle, they have paved the way for so much shit in the gun industry and the kid industry. They paved the way for me because they started before me doing this. I owe them a debt of gratitude, not for what they've done in the military, but how they've succeeded outside the military. These guys are bad ass, bro. Uh. Paul Harper, thank you very much. Uh.
Speaker 3: What lessons for future urban conflicts should Taiwan be learning from the attachment A in Berlin.
Speaker 1: Interesting question.
Speaker 2: Yeah, whoa, this is thought provoking. Say it again because you were a little bit muffled, Sorry about that. What lessons for future urban conflict? Should Taiwan be learning from dead a in Berlin? Yeah? Well, should who be learning Taiwan? Right right? Right? Well? The one of this, this one always gets my goat, is you can't rely on technology. It's gonna ship the bed. That's a big one. It's even for urban ops all that shit. You can't rely on technology. You gotta go old school. You gotta know cardinal directions. You gotta know how to freaking read shit. You gotta know shadows, you gotta know street craft, you gotta know all that craft you know. You gotta know old school communication. You gotta know dead drop sites, signal sites, how to do a PM because we suck at that now too, personal meat, you know, we suck at communication skills, inter face to face communication skills. Get back to the old school ship. I'm right on this.
Speaker 3: By the way, I guarantee you we'll tee happy yep. Any thanks again, Apat, I have oh this is something we could talk about. Also, I've I've got rheumatoried arthritis and got med boarded. I'm trying to stay fit, but it's a challenge. How would you adapt if you were me?
Speaker 2: And you know you can kind of dude, I've got something way worse than fucking rheumatoried arthritis. Man, I got this stupid gay disease called polymaus a rheumatica. So I'm almost at two years right now. Bro, I I empathize who is this? What's his name? And your fat and your face and you and I empathize with you, so I mean, uh wait, what was that name? Was that a pseudonym? I think? So? Yeah? And your face? All right? Right, yeah, all right? Anyway, I wish I could really address them because it would be more personal, but I empathize because chronic pain, uh sucks. Bat and I had to get to a point, oh man, this was bad. It was really bad where I could no longer rely on motivation because I have no no enthusiasm, no motivation. So I had to rely on discipline, on discipline. I had to lie, rely on my routine, my daily planner. I live off of white white ports. I got a year there, and my laundry room I have the next couple weeks and refrigerator. I have what's going on tomorrow every night, every night. Right now, when I get off of this, I'm going to go down and write my workout on that board, so that first thing in the morning that I see. Because motion is lotion, mobility is survivability. So your body's telling you don't work out. Your brain, I mean, your brain is telling your body, don't work out, don't do it. Sit on that reclinent because that shit hurts. It hurts, man. I had no you know, you see these commercials and shit record art writers. I'm like, whatever, a bunch of pussies. Dude, that shit hurts so bad. You're you're constantly fiddling with hands and wrists, your shoulders, well with the PMR. It shoulders, hips, joints, muscles, it's jaw lining. It's back of the head, it's arches of the feet, it's everything. It's everything. You deal with it the best you freaking can. Here's the thing, though, I wish I had his name because I want to talk to him, is give it a name and give it a bad place to live. Give it let it live in a shithole. Work out, you know, when it tells you not to eat healthy when it tells you because you have you probably have a lack of appetite because you might be taking like prednizone or something. Nope, fuck that, eat healthy. It's telling you not to. It's telling you, you know, eat stuff, crussed pizza. Yeah, tell it. Fuck you. Give it a name. I called mine the demon. I'm at almost to you now. I'm beating this thing. I'm beating it. Oh and that's the other thing. I went out all prescription mets. Oh. Here's another thing, dude, I wish I had his name once again. Infrared sona magic for this shit. Magic infrared sauna. I bought one from my garage. Guarantee you, dude, in your town somewhere there's a salt spot with infrared sauna. Go sit in one. Make it hot as shit because infrared sauna doesn't heat the air around you, eat your body. Are those they say, one hundred and thirty Those are the personal ones that you sit in like that are around you right there like a big room, right okay, yep, yep. So that that that's my advice right now on that. God.
Speaker 3: Can you you know you said motivation for you know, you don't use motivation, use discipline. Can you really quickly kind of tell us what the difference is for you. I'm getting back to being motivated now because I'm beating this thing. So look out world, because in the past year and a half, two years once again faking it. Any post that you've seen to me doing workouts and stuff totally fake.
Speaker 2: Those were my best reps. If you look, if you go back in my archives and you see the workouts I'm doing, you'll think, oh, yeah, Pat maxim shape. I mean, he's not a shit. You're good as shape he was two years ago. That's because of this ship and what you were because I still had the post freaking workouts for my fan base, and they were getting me motivated. Uh but they were seeing my best freaking reps, and those reps and for the most part, sucked. They sucked. But now you're gonna see it. You're seeing a difference already past couple of weeks, the people who really have notes. But but yeah, I had to rely on discipline, so my whiteboard, planning, ah, soul searching, just you know, I because so many times I'm drawn to the recliner, and so many times I say, let me just sleep for half an hour, and so many times I would say nope, I'm not so then I would start the process because I know I have to work out. I have to if I want to move for the rest of the day. And every every ounce of my being is saying, don't do it, don't do it. So you have to dress the part number one. So I have to put my Batman outfit on. And for me, it was like a headband and you know, just whatever, put the headband on, put the watch cap on. Then you show up. Yeah yeah, yeah yeah, and then you show up. You got to show up. It would take me half an hour to an hour to warm up.
Speaker 3: And then that's it's incredible sporming Clint, thank you very much. A friend and former guest of ours. Uh Pat Mac looking forward to this one, Jack and Dave.
Speaker 2: You guys have been killing it. Keep it up well, Thanksint.
Speaker 3: We were killing it because of people like that, Like if we're.
Speaker 2: Just Jack and I, nobody.
Speaker 3: Getting drunk every Friday, Jamison Price, Thank you very much.
Speaker 2: Pat.
Speaker 3: Let's take off the gloves and tell all do unit badass dudes operate within the connell Us and drive uh lead into and drive lead into.
Speaker 2: A whole terrorists. Do they well, yeah they do. No, you know, before you say yeah they do all it, make sure you get the whole question.
Speaker 3: Do they operate within the continental US and drive lead into a whole terrorists?
Speaker 2: Oh? Oh in the continental US? No? No, no, uh steph, Sergeant Omen, Thank you very much.
Speaker 3: Where did you think where do you think you received the best trade craft training while you were prepping for assignment?
Speaker 2: In Berlin or during OTC or somewhere else. I would say, yeah, Berlin. They were the masters at it, you know, so I learned from those guys. And I remember there was the one guy I won't say his full name, but Art. Art carried me around in the city for a few days and he would even tell me how to walk, you know, yeah, and he brought me to second hand stores. He says, you can't wear all that madic and ship bro. You need to wear his stupid German clothes, really tight pants. Yeah, yeah, just you know, i'd like twenty years behind and the pack yeah, fanny pack. Yeah, and now when we died. No, definitely, definitely in Berlin.
Speaker 3: Jackson, thank you very much. Is there a cultural difference between squadrons?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's funny there there is, but I don't think it's as pronounced as the guys there think it is. I always tell yeah, because there still is, and it's still it's it's still the same banter because I know current unit guys now and they'll talk about it and I go, guys, that's all fake news, man, it's freaking fake. It's too And I know how this materialized. I was there when it materialized, and it's fake. But yeah, they're there, there is, but I think it's more up here, right, it's not.
Speaker 3: It's more like an image thing than an actual functional thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because I know dudes right now who are in abc D squadron and they're all the same dudes, right, They're all the same.
Speaker 3: Joe's got youa thank you very much. Was free flow CQB a thing when you got to the unit? Was that something the British sas created and.
Speaker 2: The unit improved upon.
Speaker 3: Yep, Yes and yes, Jackson, thank you very much. What was the hardest part of selection for you and what would you have done differently if you had to do it again?
Speaker 2: Woo, Well, this is free this is gonna sound weird. The hardest part for me was at the end, after stress was the board. That was the hardest part for me. I wish it would just went away. I remember sitting on the board thinking, man, I'd rather do a forty mile or at night right now than this. That was the hardest part. What would I do differently? I wouldn't dig my I dig myself into a hole, you know. And And it was because I was I was telling the truth, but I was using There was a there was a question guys for answer asking me, And it's just it was so fucking stupid.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 2: I was using some military cover to answer a question about a previous unit. And they know the truth, right, They're not. I mean they they were there probably, but I was kind of naive and I thought to myself, well, maybe I shouldn't talk about it, even to these dudes, right, And I stuck with it. They pressed me and pressed me, and so now they depressed me. I think they just want to see, Am I gonna stick with the Am I gonna stand in my circle right in your circle? Yeah? I can stand in my circle right right? Because they pressed me and pressed me and pressed me on and I stuck in my circle. Yeah, they I should I just should have came out so oh yeah, yeah, that's what I was doing. You guys know all about that. Yeah, and then it would have been a twenty minute board instead of an hour and twenty.
Speaker 1: Right, So they they the board asked you about like ps SE and you gave them the cover story of like, oh, we're an MP unit that does training for the legs and bingo.
Speaker 3: And then once you had that out there, then you can't. You can't let your circle go.
Speaker 2: You can't.
Speaker 1: It was right, Yeah, yeah, yeah, you gotta stick to your guns. Yeah, stick to your guns.
Speaker 3: They're like they're probably like like rubbing their hands like, oh really dude, Well at least you know Pat's not KNOPSEC violator. Yeah, turned it into a serious session.
Speaker 2: Yeah, damn. So that that was easy one. That was easy. Yep, Jackson, thanks again.
Speaker 3: Oh a little bit of a little bit of salt maybe? Uh how did the unit do you? Dev grew an.
Speaker 1: HRT spicy little spicy?
Speaker 2: Yeah, well the unit viewed him very well. There you go. How about that. I just stayed out of that one. That was really positive. I like that positive.
Speaker 3: See you're you're good at these board questions.
Speaker 2: Now, dude, I've got some real I got some real good berdies that dev grew. Uh and even you know out here, you know, out in this world, some retired guys that I that I really love. Same cut of the claw dudes bro Hrt had. I don't know many of them. I don't know many of them. Yep, but that was good. That was a good question, and I'm sticking with my answer. That's a good answer too.
Speaker 3: Definitely learned from that board, Alejandro. Thank you very much. Pat When you were there, did you grab a chunk of the wall. My folks still have picks of My sister and I chiseling off pieces. We were living in Romstein, Romstein in West Germany and happened to be visiting Berlin, staying at Tempelhof Air Force Base.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I chosen up tons of it. And I would make people these little plaques with UH and I would, you know, like epoxyem on. Yeah, I can and clearcoat them on. And within that too, I had some of the original there's a fun German word to say, some of the original stockel grad which is barbed wire, so it's all.
Speaker 3: Rusty, you know, but it's clear code. It's cool a ship. But yes, absolutely, that's very cool. And I every time I see Romstein, I think dou haas ye once again from uh Anya? Uh thanks?
Speaker 2: Uh hey, Pat?
Speaker 3: What do we have to get to do to get a video of you working out with Rudy Reyes.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: I don't know that that aint gonna happen. I should see Rudy here next month. I'm going to an event and he should be there. I think I think he'll be there, but now then again happened. We're two different styles of stuff, you know.
Speaker 3: I'm mad octab Thank you very much, Thank you for their service.
Speaker 2: Brother.
Speaker 3: Can you please comment on some contemporary issues, recruitment problems, counter terrorism in the future, the festering domestic anti americanism.
Speaker 2: Keep on.
Speaker 1: That's that's a lot. That's a lot there, buddy, that's a lot.
Speaker 2: That's a lot.
Speaker 1: It's supposed to solve America and Internet.
Speaker 3: What am I reading? I read for office here you know what it was. But right now you can announce right now if you've got a if you've got.
Speaker 1: You've got a platform.
Speaker 2: I don't have the stomach for it. I hate politics and I hate politicians. I despise them on both sides. Yep, but yeah, I didn't most of those questions. You know, well we can talk.
Speaker 3: Maybe not general recruitment problems. How how do you see like recruitment in like the special ops community right now for your friends that are in there, is it still healthy?
Speaker 2: Is it?
Speaker 3: Are they having issues? It's still healthy? Still healthy there?
Speaker 2: Yep. The military though, Yeah, their numbers are down. Yeah, I mean what seventy five percent of today's youth is unfit to be in the military. Seventy five percent. There you go, recruitment.
Speaker 3: Kenneth Jones, thank you very much for the donation. Steve Court, right, thank you. I found pat out a vital ross road in my life.
Speaker 2: I will fort.
Speaker 3: I will forever be grateful for his advice and what it has done to recourse my life right on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's a good dude. I've been fishing with Steve. Well, he's a part. He's a part of that Keep the Blaze Live coaching squad. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So for people who might be like looking for something outside like a normal like you know, from somebody who's really been there and I don't mean there by specialists've been there and and like has faked it till they made it.
Speaker 2: Can you tell us again where your coat is on? Patreon yep, and the name it's called the pat Mac. Keep the Blaze alive, guys, squad, check that out. Alejandro, thank you being a fellow metal head. What bands are you really digging right now? Are there any up and coming ones that you think people should give a listen to. Uh yeah, let me think about this. Oh great, dude, thank you for that. So I just started because they're coming out with new album, Born of Osiris. I'm gonna go obscure here. I'm not gonna go. You know. Another one that I dig is Plague Years. I hope they do so. I hope they hope they do so. I hope they get some traction. Man. I just they're really really dark and sludgie, you know, sludgie and dark because I don't like it. I don't like it super fast and just NonStop double bass. I like, you know, sludgy and dark and you know, like cobblestone streets and and rusty metal and like a gong. If I had a metal band, I'd have a big freak. I'd have an anvil and.
Speaker 1: Bats on the belfry.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, let me see Plague Years said, Uh uh hmmm, dude, you put I wish I could have studied that one, you know, because I would have had a laundry list.
Speaker 3: But well, I'll tell you when you get a chance if you want, like the comments below the video, you know, sometime in the next couple of days, if you want to leave that list, I'm sure.
Speaker 2: I'm sure we have a lot of people love that. Can you share?
Speaker 3: Thank you, Leon Jones? Can you share your workout playlist? Basic dude stuff?
Speaker 2: That's motherfucker next time somebody asked me that, I swear to God. Yeah, I put it on every one in my posts in the past. You know what, I built that playlist during coronacasion. I built that because everybody wanted me to build a playlist. So you know what I do every post, every single post, I put it in there. You know why people don't see it because they don't tap on dot dot dot more so, you Instagrammers, not dot dot more That's where the notes are dot dot dot more so. No, I'm not gonna share it right here. You do know, I get about one hundred more requests for this now, like throughout that's right, yeah, because now they're getting to go the don't want to poke the bear. Yeah, exactly. People have found that I'm gonna tell them that. I'm gonna tell them. So it's Metal Mac Attack Spotify playlist Metal Macmac Attack. Uh.
Speaker 3: And last question, I believe unless we have anything new. Oh we do have one more? Okay, so two more Jackson, thank you. Top five high Speed l e Oh guys or units you've trained with?
Speaker 2: Whoa uh, let me see. Let me think about this. I think, wow, that damn man h ship. You put me on the spot because see a lot of them. I don't even remember the county. So I work with these guys in Wisconsin, and I believe it's Dane County. You know, Shafes Department. Dude. They were always freaking badass, really good shooters and fit dudes and just fun as hell. Oh my favorite my favorite ls are fed are the Bortach Bor Tachu Border Patrol guys. Yeah yeah, it's my favorite. Yeah dig the up Secret Service Cat Team. I know that's they're still Leo's, but it's federal, right because I worked with them a bunch. Oh, I see here, man, there's so many of them in Texas. You know, let's just say Texas in general because there's so many whether you're going to Houston, Austin, Dallas, I mean, uh, wherever it is. There's just tons of them, tons of teams. You know. North Carolina's got a bunch. I work with them here. Not yeah, that one there, I would need to I would need time for that one too. Sorry, but I but I did mentioned a couple. Yeah, wasn't it.
Speaker 3: The Bordta guys who who got out in Uvalde?
Speaker 5: Maybe eventually eventually, yes, yeah, yeah, yep, yeah, the ones who actually yeah, and then I think last question here is from Jamison Price.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much. Pat.
Speaker 3: Is it true that the unit I'm not gonna is organized in a way where operators can be redesigned, for instance, for instance, as a contractor GS, federal employee, military civilian, or as mission ductates. Are you able to elaborate? That's probably like more into.
Speaker 2: The weeds of Yeah, that that's that is definitely in the weeds, right yeah, yep, yeah, yeah, I appreciate the question, but yeah, it's in the weeds. And man, yeah that that how about how about this? How about this? To some degree? How about that fair enough? Yeah? And I apologize the dude for that, but yeah, yeah, and and that's that's it. Do we have any questions from Patreon? I don't think.
Speaker 1: I don't think we did.
Speaker 2: Did we have one? We have one?
Speaker 1: D keep pull it up real quick, so, uh, I don't have it on mind either. Sorry, pat We're not prepared.
Speaker 2: Alright, no worries.
Speaker 1: So one more time the the website or the Patreon to find it. It's pat mac keep the Blaze alive. They find your coaching service there, yep, coaching squad. Yeah, coaching squad. I thinks we'll be down in the description. Can you get on the on the Patreon Yeah, on the question.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: I don't have it up here.
Speaker 2: And it's off of my link tree on my instagram. Do you everything's on you know, on my instagram, my my t max oh T M A C yes, I n C D M A C y s I n C cool man And uh this Friday, we're gonna have regular episode.
Speaker 1: We'll be back. We have ten coming up who was a psychologist that worked for the US government, including some of the Three Letter agencies, doing profiles on like foreign world leaders and stuff like that. So he's going to be a fun interview coming up Friday.
Speaker 2: I'm on I don't know how to find it though. Man, I don't get on that.
Speaker 1: We have a catastrophe going on here.
Speaker 2: Yeah we uh a couple of gus. Uh.
Speaker 1: Okay, I don't see any questions here.
Speaker 2: Who yeah, yeah, did you find a d all right?
Speaker 1: Oh wait, there're one guy saying Okay, I think I see it. Despite the unit being and other Tier one units being flushed with money and support, mental health specifically suicides continues to be a problem.
Speaker 2: Why.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think we kind of mentioned a lot of this, like throughout the entire interview, but any closing thoughts on like perhaps why suicide is an issue even in like well supported special ops units.
Speaker 2: Remember when I said that you guys who are having issues, if they're if they're if they're crying for help, they probably don't they're hiding it, and you have to assume. I think we have to assume more, you know, because I just in the past, in the past two months, I've lost two.
Speaker 1: Oh man, I'm sorry, two buds.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and and and and and and and and it's mine. It's like, no, no, no, not this guy. There's no way. There's no way, you know, there's no way, there's no way. Uh, so yeah, I don't, I don't, I don't, I don't know, but I think we have to assume and not everybody. Man, you know what it's it's overdone. A lot of it's overdone, man. Yeah, I got mental issues, are PTSD. A lot of that's overfreaking done. A lot of it is doesn't exist. Hell yeah, it's a real thing. But more more so, it's not. It's not that. It's that separation, you know, it's that.
Speaker 1: Uh separated from leaving.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, it's leaving something where you that where you had true passion, true love. You know, you had a relationship with people that is intimate on so many different levels. And I'm not talking freaking you know, sex, I'm talking just very intimate relationship with other human beings. And then you lose that and then you know, yeah, you start spiraling, spiraling.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Pat, thank you so much for taking some time of you Tuesday evening. I mean, I think you told us that you said earlier. This is the second podcast you did today, So man, I appreciate yeah, I appreciate you going, uh, you know, tuning in and doing this with us tonight. And you know, we'd wanted to have you on for a long time, so I mean, it's awesome to finally do it. If there's anything we can do, hit us up anytime, please, final thoughts, anything I failed to cover at all, that you that you want to throw out there.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I want to thank you guys, because I do a lot of podcasts. He's a great hosts and just you made me feel very welcome and your questions were great too, So yeah, great because it takes you because some guys don't know how to do this shit and we.
Speaker 1: Want it to be fun too. We want you to have your time. Yep, thank you everybody who tuned in watch this again. Thanks Pat, and we will see all you guys on Friday.