Speaker 1: God channeling his dinner. Cirk get them dives.
Speaker 2: Thatt's the cat backhand sign, Dustin off that gold.
Speaker 1: Globe said, you want my spot, come and get it.
Speaker 3: Wanna take a shot.
Speaker 4: We're waiting for you.
Speaker 1: Think you're looking real hot, Come and get it.
Speaker 3: We're here.
Speaker 4: The road comes through La.
Speaker 3: Come get it.
Speaker 1: If you won't it, I got it. Do you think you can beat this team in a series?
Speaker 4: It best overall? Miss Dan Klass Padres. Fans can line up to kiss our.
Speaker 3: Ring. You gotta do what I do if you won't my spot.
Speaker 5: Welcome to Dodgers on Tech. Now your host walking you up to first pitch.
Speaker 6: Tim kas Hi, everybody, and good afternoon. Welcome in to my Rongo Casino Dodgers on Deck. Hope you're well on this Wednesday afternoon as your Los Angeles Dodgers wrap up this three game series in San Diego as they go for this series win after splitting the first two games. Today, the rubber game for Petco Park. Ben Casparius is the opener for the Dodgers. First pitch coming up at one ten. Between then and now, we got a lot to get to here on Marongo Casino Dodgers on deck. You're gonna hear from the manager himself, Dave Roberts. A lot to hear from the Dodgers skipper as far as the pitching plans, a concern, a little tweaking the Dodgers lineup. Today we'll dive deeper into this series finale pitching matchup. David Bassey will join us throughout the hour. He goes one on one with Dalton Rushing. We've got your Dodgers magical moment. Shortly we'll head to the field and check in live with Kirsten Watson from Sports and at LA and in just a few minutes we head out to the Gallpit. Motors broadcast booth was Steven Nelson and Rick monday Well. The series started on Monday night with a thriller in extra innings. The Dodgers beat the Padres last night though San Diego. It was unfortunately a laugher and the Dodgers were on the bad side of it. Tillan ceased his best start of the year. He was one in five and struggling in the month of May in early June, but last night they looked like the Dylan Sez of old. Seven shutout innings. He struck out eleven along the way, scattered three hits against the Dodgers offense, who only had six hits in the entire game. The Padres often scored early and often. They scored three in the third, They scored a run in the fourth, They scored a run in the fifth, and then in the sixth inning the fifth any Manny Machado tacked on more.
Speaker 7: Fine draft base hit left center field. This sea is going to score a rise. Pajz thought about throwing hole but once to keep Machado on first base. A smart player by Andy. Another RBI hit for Machado, and now it's five nothing, San.
Speaker 6: Diego, Manny Machado, the RBI single Maldonado with homer in this sixth Manchado then an RBI ground out in the sixth Manny Machado then again a two run single in the seventh inning, and Manny Machado last night drove in five. He was three for five. Luisa Rise was three for five, extra basein and RBI. The Padre scored eleven runs on sixteen hits. Poor Matt Souer, the bulkanting guy yesterday after lu Trevino went one shutout inning, four and two thirds gave up nine runs on thirteen hits. He was out there to wear it. He threw a season high one hundred and eleven pitches for the Dodgers, who needed to save the bullpen, so they brought in Keyke Hernandez for the final two and a third innings. He gave him a couple more runs. The Dodgers offense finally scored in the eighth inning thanks to Michael Confordo.
Speaker 7: If Confordo hits a whole run, I will call it like it's Game one of the World Series right now. That's where I'm got met to first pitch, swinging line drive left center field, down for.
Speaker 3: A hit, but Goo Rojas gonna be waved around. He will score without a throw.
Speaker 7: The Dodgers are on the board, hits eleven to one. San Diego RBI base hit Michael Confordo, Yeah, a.
Speaker 6: Little something to get happy about it, Yes, Michael Conforto. The RBI single in the top half of the eighth inning.
Speaker 1: That was it.
Speaker 6: The Dodgers one run on six hits. The Dodgers stranded eleven base runners. They were two for six with runners in scoring position. But last night was all about the Padres offense. Dylan Cez and Matt Soer out there wearing it for almost five innings, giving them nine runs on thirteen hits. Once you're out there, you're gonna have to take it to save the bullpen. Last night is just one of those games you chalk up as one of one sixty two. You take your lumps in an eleven to one loss to the San Diego Padres.
Speaker 1: The good thing is today is.
Speaker 6: A new day, a new game, and a chance to win this series in San Diego. As the Dodgers and Padres square off Ben Casparius, we'll get the start as the opener, first bitch at one ten and with more we head out to the Gallvin Butters broadcast booth as we say good afternoon to Stephen Nelson and Rick Monday, guys.
Speaker 3: Thank you. Tim.
Speaker 7: Feels a little bit like a Sunday getaway, but it's the middle of the week. Wednesday afternoon, the Dodgers and Padres series finale and the rubber game of this three game set. Bowl game one awesome postseason feel. The Dodgers won it, and last night was really the exact opposite.
Speaker 3: Every since it did.
Speaker 7: Not have a postseason feel, and the Dodgers got absolutely blown out.
Speaker 3: So what are your expectations coming into today.
Speaker 2: Well, not only did it not have a postseason field, it did not have a spring training Field's fair. It was just it was one of those days that you say, okay, look we did nothing and they did just about everything. And that's kind of the story. In spite of that, the Dodgers didn't play that poorly. There were a couple of good defensive plays, one of them by Andy PAHs in center field and the other Mookie bench. There was a good defensive play also made by San Diego. It was somewhat entertaining, although painful, for this Dodger ball club, and I expect them to turn things around in the bigger picture. We talked about it yesterday, Stephen. The Dodgers, Yes, they're atop the nationally Western Division. Look at the last thirty three games, they're below five hundred, they're sixteen and seventeen. And if you look at the p Andres the last thirty one games they played, they're just below five hundred, they're at fifteen and sixteen. Both of these teams are trying to shift gears and get it into gear and start to play good baseball.
Speaker 7: And here's where things stand at the end of today, mo any one of three different teams can be in first.
Speaker 3: Place in the West.
Speaker 7: Could be the Dodgers, could be the Padres, could be the San Francisco Giants who won one run ball games all in a row six to one.
Speaker 3: Her game san Francisco's won.
Speaker 7: And obviously the Giants coming to Dodgers Stadium for a three game set this weekend. And so the Dodgers are short of in this portion of the season where the injuries are with the are the injury list of the pitching staff speak for itself, and so they are just simply trying to tread water at this point and by time for those guys to get.
Speaker 2: Back healthy exactly. And while they are trying to tread water, you know, there's some sharks in the water also trying to take advantage of it, and for good reason. I mean, if there's an opening, you're going to be going for it. That's exactly what the Dodgers have done in the past. I think that yesterday is one of those games. It's not as painful, Oh it's embarrassing, but you know, you get over that much much more rapidly than you do when you lose a one run game late in the game because maybe a miscuse. So I expect this Dodger buck love to come on out. They have a point to prove, and that point is to remain not just in first place, but turn things around and start to play like the team that they have, because if you start to think of all the injuries, it's incredible that they have put together the record that they have right now.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and that's the sentiment that I've heard from several Dodger position players heading into this series. So look, if you're gonna put yourself in the spin zone after last night, the only positive, the only takeaway from Kei k Hernandez pitching more than two winnings last night. It wasn't the fun and entertainment. That wasn't the point. What was the point was that the Dodger bullpen was preserved for today. They have a chance to win this series. COSPIRAUS will open Justin Robleski available to be the bulk guy out of the pen, and then all their high leverage arms will be ready to go. The same can be set for the San Diego Padres. So we're excited for this one. Tim we'll talk to you a little bit later with some keys from Rick Monday.
Speaker 6: Sounds good, Thank you, Nelly. So we count you down to first pitch. Dodger fans, get your game day meal on No better place than Shaky speedsa parlor. How about ordering it right now, enjoy it during the game. Little Shaky's Pizza, Shake and mojos sounds good to me. Sign me up Shakys dot com. Coming up here on Dodgers on Deck, you're gonna hear from the manager, Dave Roberts, David VT, Sego's one on one with Dalton Rushing DV. Of course, we'll have the very latest Dodger Insider news coming up. In about fifteen minutes, we'll dive deeper into this pitching matchup. I'm next O, you're Otani Rewine and we'll head to the be A Live with Kirsten Watson for Sports and at LA. That's all coming up as we lead you up to Dodgers and Padres on this Wednesday afternoon. Thanks for being with us. I'm Tim Kasey's the world champion Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 5: This is Morongo Casino Dodgers Hunt game on your home for La Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 6: It's the Dodgers and the Padres on this Wednesday afternoon in Casparius. Randy Vesquez the pitching man shuffle time t part of that matchup coming up.
Speaker 1: First pitch set for one ten.
Speaker 5: This is the Otani Rewe.
Speaker 7: Show Hey Otani to the play base is empty, one out in the fifth for nothing, San Diego. First pitch rounded in the right field for a base sit.
Speaker 6: Show Hey Otani, last night just the one base hit. Dodgers as a team collectively only had six hits in the game. Showy O'tani. One for three last night with the strikeout. That tells you the Dodgers just didn't do anything offensively. The leadoff hitter three at bats last night, one for three with the strikeout. Now hitting two ninety two on the season. Dodgers want to put away last night, put it behind them after losing to the Padres eleven to one.
Speaker 5: This is Kirston's Corner with Kirston Watson.
Speaker 6: Hey Kierson now joins us. Brought to you by Cars for Kids. Ready to donate your old car? Call Eat seven seven Cars for Kids right now, friendly agent standing by to take your donations. That's cars with the game to donate your car.
Speaker 1: Today.
Speaker 6: The Dodgers, well, let's face a cears so and they want to put last night behind them and try to get out of San Diego with the series win.
Speaker 8: They really do. And last night was a game in which Dave Roberts he realized that Dylan Zis was phenomenal. He was essentially untouchable, unhittable, very much so. And so with Matt Souer, he intically have the command that he wanted to going into it, but he was able to eat up a lot of innings, so he was able to protect the bullpen, saving our key arms out of there. So they are available today to win the rubber match. And I think it's just that reminder of it's one hundred and sixty two regular season games, and yes, you want to win every single one of them, but sometimes you got a kind of plan for ahead when you recognize situation. So ultimately, with it being at the time a nine zero game for Kyk to come in and take the last three innings, that's kind of.
Speaker 3: What was needed today.
Speaker 6: The Dodgers, they're pitching plan a little different than what we thought it was going to be last night.
Speaker 1: For today's final game of the series.
Speaker 8: Exactly. Yeah, last night and even just coming into this series, we were told that Justin Robleski was going to have the start today but was considering how things went yesterday, still wanting to win this series and have an opportunity to win the series. Dave Roberts in just the coaching staff, they decided they wanted to go with Ben Casparius as the opener slash starter today. So we know that Bennison coming out of the bullpen taking down bulk inning, being a high leverage arm in different situations, but it sounds like they're going to start kind of stretching him out, potentially keeping him leaving him in the rotation. So we'll see what that looks like today. He's only built up to like that forty five fifty pitch count range, so Dave said that realistically three innings probably makes the most sense with him for this one today and then he's going to manage to win. So that could include Justin roeless in the pitching plan, or it could include just the rest of the bullpen in the high leverage arms that at least are available today because Matt sour By eating up all those innings yesterday was able to protect them. So we'll see exactly how it plays out as the game goes on, but it does sound like we might be seeing more of than taking down the first three potentially four inning spending on how efficient he is, and then more of a traditional bullten kind of game behind him.
Speaker 6: The most important thing is let's get a win and get home for the off day tomorrow. Kirist, We appreciate it. We'll check in with you after the game. Still to come. Here on Dodgers on Deck, we dive deeper to this benching matchup David Vesego's one on one with Dalton rushing.
Speaker 1: But up next we'll hear from the manager, Dave Roberts.
Speaker 6: It's the Dodgers and Padres on this Wednesday, first pitch at one ten. I'm Tim Kaine, sister World champion Los Angeles Dodgers audio number.
Speaker 5: This is Marongo Casino Dodgers on Deck on your home for the blue all season.
Speaker 6: Low Maroango Casino Dodgers on Deck continues on this Wednesday afternoon. As we lead you up to first pitch, Dodgers and Padres, Marongo Casino Resort and Spa a grand slam for good times. Ben Casparrius will be the opener, hopefully get to three innings, forty five pitches somewhere around there. Randy Vasquez will be on the mound for the Padres first pitch set for one ten.
Speaker 5: This he's the LA Dodgers Injury.
Speaker 6: Report presented by UCLA Healthy Official Medical partner of the Los Angeles Dodgers. Tony Gonsolin on the IL with the right elbow swordis Tyler Glass Noow Blake Snell both on the IL. Luis Garci on the IL IMiD she and working his way back from shoulder surgery. Brookie Sasaki on the IL with the right shoulder impingement. Tony Gonsolin with him on the IL, the Dodgers hoping Ben Casparrius can give him a little length today. Dave Roberts also hinting a little earlier that Freddie Freeman dealing with a little quad injury, but nothing to keep him out of the lineup. In fact, let's hear more from the manager Dave Roberts. Well head back to say, do you think.
Speaker 4: Questions for Dave?
Speaker 3: Dave, can you just describe Dave?
Speaker 5: Can you talk about the pressure in the dugouts with Dave Robbers.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I think that certainly, you know, go as long as you can, within reason, get as many outs as he can.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 9: It's so I think that's kind of part of that. As far as going forward, we'll see what that means. As far as role, we're certainly uh, you know, with with things that are going on with the rotation. Obviously the way Ben's performed being a former starting pitcher. We like this kind of transition right now. What that means after today, we'll see, But we feel good about Ben starting today and eating up as many outs, and as far as after I think we feel good about leverage versus is kind of covering the game and all that.
Speaker 8: Could you see. I guess the situation which potentially you can start stretching him alan to start taking down a little bit more innings, it need be just considering the injuries.
Speaker 9: Like you mentioned, I think so, Yeah, I think that's certainly a likely possibility.
Speaker 4: With Justin Okay, is that my probabtively hold him gang a little bit healthier so you don't have to rely on Ben as much as the leverage for a situation.
Speaker 9: I think that that's one part of it. I also think part of the fact that, you know, losing Gonsolin kind of also you know, created a different opportunity for Ben or need any way you want to look at it.
Speaker 2: Has there been conversation then, but you know Ben's pitch very well. Is this the best way to maximize that?
Speaker 9: Yeah, I think that's kind of internally kind of figuring out how we get through this period before we get out of guys back to health and you know, what's best for Ben, what's best for our ball club in this moment in time. So those are the conversations, and you know, Skearsen said, potentially there's a chance to continue to build him up, which you know right now.
Speaker 2: Makes sense if you talk to him about it and kind of pitched it to him.
Speaker 9: I don't think there needs to be a pitch. I think that this is kind of he's in for whatever is asked of him.
Speaker 3: What is he kind of stretched out to right now?
Speaker 9: Like the three I think I think three, I think three and forty five. I think I liked for today something like that.
Speaker 4: Dave last night game ending double play. It didn't seem like Freddy was really running that hard. Is there anything going on with him.
Speaker 9: Yeah, yeah, Actually he's dealing with the little quad, a little quad thing, and so he was not going to come out of the game. So I think that for for me, my deal with him is that if you're going to play today, stay in the game last night, then manage it, so let's not go crazy on the basis. So they got the ankle thing, and then he's obviously dealing with this quad, so yeah, if you're not giving one hundred and ten percent down the line, that's no problem. So he is managing a quad situation. So yeah, thanks for asking.
Speaker 1: All Right, there's a manager, Dave Roberts.
Speaker 6: More on that, Freddy's Quad, Ben casparraous Dodgers changing the lineup up today with David vasse As. We continue next here on Marongo Casino Dodgers on deck coming up again in about twenty minutes. Dave's gonna go one on one with Dalton Rushing. We'll check back in with Rag Monday. Your magical moments still to come. Don't go anywhere as we lead you up to first Bitch on this Wednesday. The rubber game of this three game set from San Diego is the Dodgers and Padres. I'm Tim Kas' is the world champion Los Angeles Dodgers on your network.
Speaker 5: As we were saying, yes's Marongo Casino on the official home of La Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 6: It's the Dodgers and the Badres, Bencus Various, Randy Vasquez, a pitching matchups, serious finalitey rubber game of this three game cent first bitch coming up a one.
Speaker 5: Ten joining Tim Cats on Dodgers on deck.
Speaker 4: I accept everybody for who they are.
Speaker 5: This is Dodger insider David Bassi.
Speaker 6: All right, David, just a few minutes ago, we heard your question to Dave Roberts about Freddie Freeman.
Speaker 1: When did this pop up?
Speaker 4: This quad injury last night in the seventh inning, Tim, is when it really reaggravated itself or reared its head as far as Freddy's concerned. So you know I noticed it as you heard me ask on the final play of the yesterday's game. A very forgettable game if you're the Dodgers, but a game ending double play and very uncharacteristic of Freddy just to kind of jog up the first base line. But there was a reason. I believe it's his left quad that is compromised right now on top of his right ankle, and look, Freddie wants to be out there for as close to one hundred and sixty two games. So Dave Roberts is trusting him that he can manage this quad injury, and that's why he allowed him to play today, day off tomorrow as you know, so hopefully this doesn't turn into a more serious injury. But Dave Roberts is not only trusting Freddie Freeman to manage the injury, get treatment on that injury on the quad, but also not try to do anything ill advised on the basis trying to extend a single into a double going first to third. You're going to see a station to station Freddy Freeman today.
Speaker 6: David is driven by Ford. There's one thing we like its choices. Find yours with the fur one to fifty gas hybrid all electric tough, this mark can only be called f one fifty. Ben Kisparius gets to start today. We heard Dave Roberts allude to this could be a runway, as he likes to say, for Ben to get into the roation where he was a starting pitcher in the minor leagues. David kind of feels like they've given other guys opportunities to win a spot in the resultation, landon Knag, Bobby Miller, Justin Robleski, and now it's Ben Casparius's time maybe right.
Speaker 4: Right, And I feel that's the reason why they decided to go this route. They've given those guys opportunities, they haven't taken it and owned that opportunity. And also with the injury to Tony Gonsolin, they really don't have anywhere else to turn. And this just adds to my argument that Ben Caspirius, outside of Yoshi Yamamoto, has been the most valuable pitcher on this Dodger staff. He's thrown more innings than any other reliever in the National League. They've asked him to be a high leverage reliever at the back end of games, They've asked him to be a bulk innings guy, and now they're asking him today to be an opener and transition back to his starting pitcher. And I've talked to Ben about these different type of roles and he said, you know what, I just don't want to go back to Oklahoma City, So he'll do whatever the Dodgers want. And look, Casparius going into the rotation that is going to be not just a short term situation, Tim, It's going to take the Dodgers all the way up to the All Star Break, because, as I said on Dodger Talk last night, I'm predicting blake'snew to make the start his first start since going on the IL, that first game right out of the All Star Break against the Brewers. Just the sense I'm getting don't know about Tyler Glass now, Roki Sazaki is behind both those guys. So this is something the Dodgers are going to do up until that All Star break with Ben Casparrius to hope he.
Speaker 6: Takes it and runs with it because he's been so good in whatever role they've asked him to do last year and this year. David great STUFFILL check back you with you in just a couple of minutes. Coming up here on Dodgers on Deck. You're gonna hear from Dalton Rushing, but I'm next. You're Dodgers' magical moment. Don't go anywhere. We're leading you up to Dodgers and Padres on this Wednesday afternoon. And I'm Tim Kates is the world champion Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 5: This is Morongo Casino Dodgers Hunting game on your home for La Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 1: Dodgers and Padres.
Speaker 6: Rubber game of this three game said, Dodgers won Monday and next your innings. Padres won big last night and kind of a laugher. Ben cosparius A is the opener for the Dodgers. Maybe a new role for Big Ben. First pitch coming up at won ten.
Speaker 5: Dog dog who wants a hot It's time for the Hawfy Magical Moment Ditch Magical presented by Hawfy Hot Dogs.
Speaker 6: We go back to September twelfth, twenty twenty one, Dodgers taken on the Padres. Remember when Max Scherzer was a Dodger briefly after the trade deadline and into the postseason. Well, in his brief stint in Dodger Blue, he became the nineteenth pitcher in MLB history to reach three thousand strikeouts.
Speaker 10: Curser three balls, two strikes, Osmer the hitter, here's the pitch, tong on and miss strike three. Three thousand strikeouts from Max Schurezer, becoming the nineteenth pitcher in Major League history to enter that very exclusive club, a standing ovation inside Dodger Stadium. Max Schurzer into the history books.
Speaker 6: Max Scherzer, the last player to get to three thousand strikeouts. You know who's knocking on the door, Clayson Kershaw. That's right, he could be the next to get to three thousands. Here in the next couple of Stars's Hafey Magical moment brought you by Haffy hot Dogs. Haffey Soakou's local treasure for nearly one hundred years. Haffy hot Dogs, local and so great. When we continue here on Dodgers on Deck, we'll check back in on Rick Monday and David Vassy as we leach up to first pitchers and Padres. I'm Tim Kas's the world champion Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 5: This is Marongo Casino Dodgers on Tap on your home for the Blue All Season Law.
Speaker 6: It's the Dodgers and the Padres. Ben Casparius Randy Vesque is the Pitching matchup series finale from Petco Park. Time now for the Dodgers game plan. What's your game plan? Dodger fans, start your future at California Community College. Financial aids available to help you with tuition, books, and yep, sometimes even the rent. It's time to take that next big step. Classes can fill up quickly. So enrolled today and I can go to college dot com.
Speaker 5: And now joined by David Basse, Here's La Dodgers broadcast and World Series champion Dodger Rick Monday.
Speaker 4: All right, Rick, the Dodgers managed last night's game, getting ready for today's and Ben Casparius now is going to be the starting pitcher.
Speaker 2: Well, it's kind of interesting and I'm really looking forward to it because Ben Cosparius has been so consistent coming out of the bullpen. A couple of things to look at today. He's going to get the normal warm up instead of just going to the bullpen and maybe coming in, you know, during a ballgame, how does he go through that transition I'm talking about it normally starts like twenty five minutes before a first pitch, instead of just okay, get up and you throw twelve pitches or maybe fifteen pitches. You know, you have eight also warming up when you get into the mound itself, if you're coming out of the bullpen. I look forward to this because I think his aggressiveness on the mound plays better. Maybe in a starting role, We'll see how he handles it. But It's one of those things. I'm really delighted to see this today.
Speaker 4: Also, Dave Roberts filled this in that Freddie Freeman will not be running at full speed. He's been dealing with a quad injury that he sustained in the seventh inning of last night's game. That's why he wasn't really running that hard up the first base line on that game end double play. So you got the right ankle, now you got the left quad for Freddy Freeman as well.
Speaker 2: And the other part too, is Freddy Freeman is in the lineup. That's Freddy Freeman because he had aches and pains and everything else, but he takes great pride in being able to play the game and be there for his teammates and for the organization. That is so big of a statement. It's fun to watch.
Speaker 4: And it kind of sends a message. You would know this, Rick, I mean, you played through a lot of injuries. When your star player is still going out there and answering the bell even with all that, doesn't that put a little pressure on the rest of the team.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it does, And from a positive standpoint. Someone asked me a long time ago, he said, well, how many games of one hundred and sixty two. Would you say that you feel one hundred percent handful?
Speaker 3: Is it thirty?
Speaker 2: Is it maybe fifty at most? I mean where you go out there and say, wow, I feel really great. It doesn't happen that often. These guys are playing with aches and pains all the time and trying to get loose, and for a player to come out and everybody knows he's injured, to come out and say no, put me in the lineup. Yes, he doesn't have to run a great deal. But then you start to think of all the different plays that he has made down the line, including one here in Foul Territory in this series, that being on Monday night in the first game, he covers a lot of ground. So it sends a big message to everybody else's hey, look, we're in this thing together.
Speaker 3: Let's pull the cart.
Speaker 4: Everybody always talks about leadership and holding each other accountable. Isn't that an example of doing so.
Speaker 2: It's easy to talk about leadership, it's difficult to physically show it day in and day out, And the doctors have a few guys that do that on a consistent basis.
Speaker 4: Will Smith, a guy that has a high pain tolerance. He's feeling good and.
Speaker 2: You better have a pain tolerance, is there. I've always been mystified, I guess that's the right word on how catchers can go through an entire season with all the aches and the pains. You know, they're not in the crouch anymore, they're even down on one knee, but you're still exposed to the foul balls that come back and get you to wear and tear. And then the mental part, because you're really helping the pitcher navigate through a ballgame. It's the stress and strain, and catchers never have a moment and go, ah, let me just relax for a couple of.
Speaker 4: Minutes, which makes it even more remarkable that Will Smith is not only one of the best catchers in baseball, but also one of the best hitters in baseball. Right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've used this in a note a lot. If we look at the last two and a half years in Major League baseball, Will Smith has had more advanced with runners in scoring position than anyone else in the major leagues, and he's also responded very very well on top of that. So, yeah, take that one to the bank.
Speaker 4: All right, Rick, thanks a lot for that. Nugget. Can't get that anywhere else except right here, my favorite Rick, Rick Monday. We'll send it back to you in the studio.
Speaker 1: Tim all right, thanks, So we all love Rick Monday.
Speaker 6: Still to come here on Dodgers on Deck you will get you a preview this bitching matchup our favorite Rick. We'll be back with our favorite Steven Nelson, that is. But the keys to the game up next, we go high and tight with Dalton rushing Dodger catchers. We lead you up to Dodgers and Padres. I'm Tim Kas's world champion in Los Angeles. Dodgers Audio nowork.
Speaker 5: As we were saying, this is Marongo Casino, Dodgers on Deack on the official home of La Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 1: Dodgers and Padres.
Speaker 6: On this Wednesday afternoon, Big Kisparius Randy Vesquez. The pitching matchup Dodgers Baseball is brought to buy Zench Sushi. Ain't no better time to go by your local routes. Get that Zenchy Sushi. Find it right near the deli counter. It's made fresh daily on site by professionally trained sushi chefs with precision, passion and a tradition.
Speaker 1: You can taste.
Speaker 6: They got all the roles, the California role, the spicy tuna rolls, the salmon rolls, the timper shrimp roles. They got the platters, they got everything. The pok bulls, find Zenchi, sushet, you know, the deli counter at rouse, always fast, fresh and easy.
Speaker 5: And now what will likely be vass a fielding insults from a Dodger player.
Speaker 1: It's an engagement of endearment.
Speaker 5: This is high and tight.
Speaker 4: The Dodgers are closing out this series in San Diego, and we're joined right now by Dodger catcher Dalton Rushing. Rushing. Thanks a lot for the time, appreciate it.
Speaker 11: Yeah, absolutely, it's good to be here, David.
Speaker 4: Surprisingly, you're more awake than most of your teammates this early in the day.
Speaker 11: Yeah, gotta wake up. It's a day game. Gotta be ready.
Speaker 4: Hey, what's the experience been like for you so far? You've gotten your feet wet. Have you found a routine in this new role of not playing every day?
Speaker 11: Yeah, it's uh, it's coming along. It's starting to figure some things out and understand what I have to do to stay ready. Haven't obviously perfected it to this point and haven't done exactly what I would like to do or what I think I could do to help the team. But yeah, that's part of it. It's part of this journey. It's part of getting your feet wet, like you said, and being able to understand your role.
Speaker 4: It's not easy playing just twice a week. Everybody thinks you just show up and you're fresh and ready to go, but it's a bigger challenge than what some would expect.
Speaker 11: Yeah, it's tough. It's tough to catch a groove, but like I said, that's it's my role and it's something that I personally have to figure out to uh, whatever I have to do to help the team. And that's something that we're kind of getting on right now.
Speaker 4: To make it to the major leagues, you obviously had to do something right, and the Dodgers valued it. Is there any point in time in your baseball life where you were a backup and not playing every day and being the guy.
Speaker 11: No, not to this point obviously until now. So yeah, that's that's kind of the adjustment that we're we're trying to make and yeah, moving forward, whatever, like I said, whatever I have to do to stay ready, to be ready to help the team. Just do my part. I'm gonna be willing to do it.
Speaker 4: Dalton Rushing as our guest in front of first pitch between the Dodgers and Padres. This is your first taste being part of the team in this type of atmosphere. What's it been like for the first two games, even the night that you were not starting.
Speaker 11: Yeah, it's cool. It's it's something that you obviously dream about when you put your head down on the pillow at night. You you want to play in these atmospheres. You want the fans to be this active every single game. It's a blessing playing in LA because you get this atmosphere most of the time, so you kind of you become accustomed to the crowd. You become accustomed to the way that they act, the way that they show emotion to the players on off the field. And Yeah, like I said, I think it's it's pretty special getting to see it in San Diego, a division rival right now, a team that we're going to see down the stretch, we're going to see throughout the year. And yeah, I think it's really good for me to be able to see it early on in my career.
Speaker 4: All right, take us behind the plate. Being a rookie, being new to the league. What's it been like developing the relationships with the umpires, maybe talking to them as the game is going on. Do you have any conversation with the umpires as far as trying to keep each other in the game together.
Speaker 11: Yeah, it's you. You meet a lot of these guys for the first time. You kind of have to understand the way that they operate. Each umpire is different, just like a player. Each player is different, they all click differently, they all respond to things differently. So being able to, like I said, understand them, understand their style of calling a game, the relationships that they want to build with the catcher, that's I think that's the most important part. And obviously the more that more time you get to spend with them back there, the more comfortable you're going to be. And like I said, once again, you're going to be able to understand them as an umpire a little better.
Speaker 4: Are you a talker behind the plate?
Speaker 11: I usually have quite a few conversations in between, not as much as far as like mid pitch, mid at bat, anything like that. It's usually like post ab in between ennings. Like I said, just ask him on some pitches that you have questions about. Understand that they are going to They're going to make mistakes, just like you are. And as long as you can be right there beside them through their mistakes, and whether you're helping them on something you think or call you think you should have got, or a call you think they missed, whatever it is, the better feedback you give them in a positive manner is only going to help you as a catcher.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 4: Dalton Rushing is our guest. He's in the show with the Dodgers in LA, but before he got here, he was in Oklahoma City. The Thunder are in the NBA finals. Rushing, how many Thunder games in the minor leagues did you have a chance to go see?
Speaker 11: Never got to see one. Actually we were always out of town for the playoff games, so yeah, I never really got to go to a I watched plenty but didn't get to go to one. It's a pretty good team, though, I uh, I think they have a really good chance of winning a title, so that'd be pretty cool to see.
Speaker 4: Did Sga ever show up at Comets games?
Speaker 3: He did?
Speaker 11: He did not as much as a lot of us would have liked him too, He did.
Speaker 4: Not what's it like being in a triple A city like that? But it's a big city and you got an NBA team right next door.
Speaker 11: Yeah, it's uh, it's good. It's a lot to do, keeps you busy on off days, keeps you busy on day games, and you get a little afternoon to go do something for the city a little bit. Uh. Like I said, I haven't got to see any Thunder games, but them being as good as they are, it would obviously be really good time to go watch them.
Speaker 4: Well, that's in the past, LA's in your future. We'll go to a Laker game together.
Speaker 11: I would I would love to do that. Let's go do that.
Speaker 4: Awesome there he is the man, Dalton Rushing. Dalton Rushing will receive a pair of Canaan World's best polarized sunglasses. Canaan's lenses are clearer, lighter, and stronger than other lenses and are nearly impossible to scratch. Visit Canaan dot Com for your pair, Tim, we'll send it back to you.
Speaker 6: Dalton Rushing having a good start here in the big leagues as he plays behind the plate. When Will Smith gets days off, Will Smith back in the lineup today for the Dodgers. Dodgers Baseball brought to you by Shaky's Pizza Parlor, the official pizza partner of the Dodgers Audio broadcast. When it's game day, it's group day at shakys dot Com. We lead you up to first Bitch on this Wednesday. Up next, we'll dive deeper into this betchy matchup. Don't go anywhere. I'm Tim Kats's, the world champion Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 5: This is Morongo Cassino Dodgers game on your home for La Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 6: Dodgers and Padres final game of this three game series. Else square off next week at Dodgers Stadium for four yeah, seven matchups in eleven days between the Dodgers and Padres after they didn't face each other for the first sixty six games of the season. Dodgers won the series open our next trainings on Monday night. Padres came back with the blowout win last night rubber game of this three game set coming up at one ten YEA.
Speaker 5: And now before the Dodgers hit the dining we look at the pitching.
Speaker 6: Matchup presented by your Southern California. Toyota dealers work hard and play hard at a New Tacoma with an I Force Turbo charts engine. It's a truck built for the bold. See your Toyota dealer today. They make it easy. Randy Vasquez on the mound for the Padres three and four. The three sixty nine ERA twenty six year old right hander third season in the Big leagues. Came up with the Yankees in twenty three. Was with the Padres since last season, making his fourteenth start this year last time out four and two third innings, no runs, two hits, two strikeouts, four walks, but a no decision against the Brewers. He's got an zero to one record with an ERA of four to twenty six and fourteen strikeouts in his last four games. This is his first time facing the Dodgers as a starter. Ben Casparius gets to start for the Dodgers. You heard Dave Roberts talk about it earlier. David vaz Say was on with this and furthered that conversation that the runway is now open for Ben Kisparius to lengthen out as a starter again, which he came up as a starter after he got drafted out of Yukon in twenty twenty one, a fifth round pick. Then the twenty six year old right hander four and one with the two ninety three er in the big leagues this year, making a second start twenty second appearance last time out, pitched in relief in Saint Louis on Saturday, gave up the couple runs in the one inning to work five hits and took the loss. His only start this year was a four aings a one hit ball against Miami, where he gave up a run and struck out five in the same game, getting the win his fourth of the year. Ben kiss Sperius, Randy Vasquez, Dodgers Padres. We're fifteen minutes away for first pitch keys of the game. Our next, I'm Tim Katson. This is the world champion Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 5: This is Marongo Casino Dodgers on deack on your home for the Blue all.
Speaker 6: Season long Dodgers in San Diego. As they finish off, there's three games set with the Padres, the rubber game. After splitting the first two. Ben Casparius will get the start. He could go about three innings ers, so Randy Vasquez the right hander will go for San Diego. First pitch coming up and one ten before that, though, we head back out to the booth. Two guys on the call today, Steven Nelson, Rick Monday.
Speaker 7: All right, TC, back here with Rick Monday one more time in the pregame lead up to this rubber game for the Dodgers and Padres. The winner takes the series and the winner potentially takes the first place position in the Nation League West. Ben Casparius will open for the Dodgers. Randy Vasquez, a young right hander for San Diego. Rick Monday, as I ask you for a couple of keys, I'll give you one. On the other side, we've seen Manny Machado, the Padres MVP. He has showed up in this series. He is fired for ten with six RBIs the Dodgers on the other side waiting for Shoheo Tani to bust back out here.
Speaker 3: In the month of June, he has gone a.
Speaker 7: Season high eight straight games without a home run, and Freddy Freeman is still searching a little bit at the play.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think with Otani to be in with it. To me, he looks just over anxious. They're trying to hit the balls pulling off it a little bit more. He is so strong that he can hit the ball out of the ballpark in any direction. So think more up the middle, and I think the Dodgers have to think, really, strikes. Where's the strike zone? Yesterday was a little mysterious as far as the strike zone. Looking at Randy Basquez, while he has struck out thirty seven, he's also walked thirty four. That tells me right away, look make him throw strikes and do it early. Basquez, who came over as part of that deal with Juan Soda with the Yankees last year, his velocity has actually dropped since he has come over here by a couple of miles an hour. It doesn't sound like it's that big of a deal. But if you're not throwing a lot of strikes and your velocity has diminished, you could be in for a long afternoon.
Speaker 7: So take advantage of the free passes should Basquez given to you, and maybe the Dodgers do get that big swing from Otani again. Eight straight a home run for Freddy Freeman, twenty six consecutive games without a home run. His last long ball May eleven. Perhaps one or both of them can have a big swing today and propel the Dodgers to a series win against the Padres. First pitch from Randy Vasquez coming up shortly, Tim back to you.
Speaker 6: That was not Hell's bells playing in the background. There is no Trevor Hoffman coming in to close out for the Padres today. Dodgers looking to close out this series with the win at Petco Park. It's the Dodgers and Padres rubber game of this three games at benkis various. Randy Vasquez a pitching matchup. First pitch when we returned, this has been Morongo Casino Dodgers on deck. I'm Tim Kates, the world champion Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network