Speaker 1: What is up? Fellas it goes on? Dana Valley coming at you with mister Brian Taporrek of Bleach Report, longtime friend and colleague of mine. Over there, he's also writing for Liberty Ballers, Silver Screen and Roll Forbes. What else have I fan sided? I forget anything else.
Speaker 2: Yet I think that is it for now. Don't tep me.
Speaker 1: Do a lot. You do a lot, you do it incredibly well. There's a lot of NBA salary cap CBA minutia stuff floating around now, so I figured who better to talk about it with? Then? I consider myself a CBA in cap dork, but you're on like another level. I don't know what the level above dork is. I mean that as a compliment, but you are above it degrees above me. So I wanted to bring you on to pick your brain about some of the latest developments, contracts, then some overarching topics. But the one question I have I'm sure everyone wants to know the answer to, mister, how the heck are you doing?
Speaker 2: I am good, Dan, I'm repaying you because you did me a solid this week. You have a fun thing coming out later this week at Bleacher Report that everyone should check out. When it's live and we got something. By the time this goes out live, my My Baby will be published, something I've been trying to get through for a while now. So we've got Wednesday at Bleacher Report, come check out. We got a big project that will spark some nice water cooler debates to say the least, is.
Speaker 1: That the right way to phrase it? Or is it going to be angry arguments?
Speaker 2: I honestly, I like when we came up with the idea and we like did the exercise ourselves, it was more like, oh my god, this is agonizing, which I think is a fun way to do it. Like I think the reaction will be angry and then you'll, you know, my My one piece of advice would be, I think everyone should follow the zach Low rule for really a lot of things, but no hill. If you're mad about you say this person got snubbed or belongs on this who is he replacing or who is she replacing? That would be my best piece of advice for And that's applies to the thing that you've got coming out later this week as well.
Speaker 1: It's that was fun with the project that I just did, and I will say it's always fun and then I finish it, and I just remember, like, this is only gonna I think about it from the through the lens of Oh, I have no idea if this is right, but I think this is what I'm gonna go with. But it's just so difficult. You can go a bunch of different directions. And then I try and talk that out when I'm writing, and then I just remember at the end of it all, when I files like, people are gonna fucking hate.
Speaker 2: This no matter what.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which is just such a bummer. Not that it needs to be well received by everybody, but I miss like it doesn't feel like there's any more genuine debates. It's always got to be like hostile or mean spirited or everyone just agrees, which everyone should just agree with everything I say. All right, personally would be preferable. But you go through this and you think like, yeah, this would be like a fun debate to havelf and I'm having it with myself, and then you just remember, yeah, everyone's gonna hate this, or most people are like or the only reactions I'm gonna see, or that are gonna get looped to me, or that I'll get message about of the people that are met.
Speaker 2: Sure, but you know, I will say Reddit has been very kind with some of our big projects as of late. So thank you to everyone on Reddit for proving that civil discourse again still exists on the internet.
Speaker 1: I've heard good things about I'm not on Reddit a lot, but I've heard good things about Reddit over the past like year or two.
Speaker 2: So it seems like the one place where normal people can exist and not be overrun by AI bots.
Speaker 1: Well, speaking of ai bots, shall we talk about the Pelicans or not? At Yeah, let's start there. DeAndre Jordan in demand got a two year veteran's minimum contract. I did not know was for two years when it first came out. I don't know if that was not part of the release. But as you know, as many of our listeners probably know, that you were not going to get reimbursed the difference between the two year veteran minimum and then anyone thereafter if it's for longer than a year. So the question was, why would the Pelicans do this? Why didn't they just sign them to a one year contract and then resign them again next summer. They have since come out with the explanation. They believe that he was going to sign basically with a better team if they didn't give him a second character year and they valued his locker room presence too much. Sure do you one buy that? And two? Is it an acceptable excuse as a team that doesn't have a ton of room they're inside ten million of the tax right now, not known as big spenders, maybe they wouldn't have taken on money anyway. But what have you made of the whole? I don't know why I'm starting here, but what have you made of the whole? DeAndre Jordan in demand situation with.
Speaker 2: New Orleans definitely an eyebrow razor is made for me as well. You know, I will say, like this stuff doesn't really matter unless you are close to the tax closer than they are to the tax or you know, you're hardcapped at one of the aprons and you're like a million dollars away from it. That's when you need to be really concerned about it. Like this will be relatively inconsequential for them this year, But the fact that he's on to guaranteed four point one million dollar salary salary in twenty seven to twenty eight, that's where it just feels like, you know, this is again a minor thing in the grand scheme of the Pelicans cap sheet and their long term strategy. But he's taking up a roster spot. He is taking up a salary slot as well. So if the intention is just like, we want to have, you know, another four million dollar contract that we can attach to Jordan Poole or Dejonte Murray or even you know a Trey Murphy Herb Jones that we're considering trading at some point, Okay, maybe maybe I understand it from that perspective. I felt the same way with Zach Collins' contract when it came out. It's like, why less unless you are planning on trading him that you know, fine, But this is one of those moves where it's like, if this guy finishes this current contract on the Pelicans in two years, I can't say I totally understand it, especially when you trade up for Derek Queen last year and give what could have been a very valuable pick for him.
Speaker 1: It did turn into after the trade went through, When you see what it turns into, the trade actually doesn't look as egregious anymore. But I do think the problem here is that this makes you wonder more about new Orleans's over arching processes because I mean, but you could go back to that trade about was that the best use of resources to go out and get Derek Queen who wasn't even starting by the end of last season, and then you have something like this. You also have the reports around last year's trade deadline, and then just relative to their off season activity now it's they're just cool with where they're at, like they're not trying to shuffle any decks. And I think that's why this is notable. It's just because it's another it's another strike against I would say a front office for a lack of creativity or innovation or however you want to frame it. And they did overhaul their medical staff within the past few months, so I mean maybe that should count for something. But the Joe Dumars era in New Orleans has been I think the most childble way to put it, wildly on inspiring.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think our mutual friend schmid Dua does a great job kind of covering the behind the scenes of this. And you know, he had a threat about this the other day that basically said, like all of these things are you know, none of them are like franchise crippling mistakes by any means, but they just add up, and you need to hit on the margins, especially in this era where you know, teams are being much more mindful about every single dollar that they spend, as we've seen a couple of very notable examples throughout the rest of the league this offseason. So you know, these things add up over time. You need to continue to hit, like you know, them getting Sadik Bay last year in the Jordan Poole CJ McCollum deal, like that was a home run for them. He was fantastic last year. He's only earning six point six million dollars this coming season, But you know what, like it's still just hard to understand the Pelicans long term strategy. You know, like, Okay, they were taking calls on Trey Murphy but asking for you know, however many first round picks they wanted, Like it sounded like two first round picks was not enough for Trey Murphy, which, okay, you know, under previous cbas or under previous lotteries, maybe that was fair. But valuations tend to change very quickly in the NBA, and I still don't have a clear understanding of like what the Pelicans' long term plan is, Like, how how are you getting this group from lottery beyond just like pray they stay healthy to even like a forty five win team. I mean they're not even close to that right now.
Speaker 1: No, I don't. And it goes beyond can Zion play in sixty five plus games? There's like that's not even just the lone pathway And I don't I don't even understand the vision of the roster, the way that it's built. And they just won what do you play last year's was played what sixty plus at least only won twenty six games.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean they looked a lot better, I'll say, once Dejonte came back, like they.
Speaker 1: Were having the organizer goes a long way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So like I think they you know, maybe they win thirty five or forty games this year, but it's still you know, I don't know, are you are you okay with that? Are you striving for just like let's get back into the play in mix, let's get into the first round of the playoffs and we're satisfied with that, or you know, are you ostensibly trying to build a championship contender? Because if that's the case, then, you know, I think, like we'll talk about Boston. I'm sure you know they were brutally honest about where they were and the chances of them building a championship contender around those two and made the decision that they did. The Pelicans are much more in like the Chicago Bulls camp of being two years too late on being brutally honest about where you are and what that means.
Speaker 1: Really quickly, who would you rather have Kingston Flemings and Asa Newell or Derrek Queen?
Speaker 2: I mean I would I would think the former. I mean, Queen looked really good last year. I'll give him that. But just the process of that trade in general is still just.
Speaker 1: It's bad process. But I think what it ended up culminating, I'm not like super high on Kingston Flemings and so I look at him. Well, maybe they won't come out as poorly as I thought. But yeah, you're right about the process comment. Speaking of process, No, boy, Gary Trent Junior four years sixty four million dollars from the Bucks fully guaranteed. They explored some sign and trade scenarios, but I guess those just didn't materialize. Sure, maybe maybe the same team that was interested in him was also the team that was lurking to give Trey Young the max that he could have got had he left the Wizards. This is clear salary caps or convention. Whether they agreed to this deal when he first went to Milwaukee two years ago or whether it was last summer when maybe his market was a little bit more robust, this is just there was a wink wink in place where going to pay you more or if you stay when we have your early bird rights, if you stay through X And I guess to the Bucks's credit they held up their end of the bargain. And for Gary trans Junior had like couldn't be a consistent part of Doc Rivers's rotation when they were trying to win games. I've seen a lot of well why should we care. The Bucks's punishment will be they have to pay Gary trans Junior millions, which is funny, and I guess it's to somebody extent, it's kind of true they did. And you can say, well, why does this matter for them? They're not. They're they're building from the ground up basically, but like this is a slot they could have gotten how many picks to take on a salary in this slot. What did Charlotte get to take on Dorian Phinney Smith like three seconds or whatever it was? So why should my question to you, why should we care about something like this happening?
Speaker 2: I mean it goes back to the Kawhi investigation too, right, If if these rules are only in place selectively, then what's stopping every team in the league from doing this? And maybe some of them get punished some of them don't. I mean that we ran into that with the tanking stuff over the last couple of years, where Adam Silver selectively doled out punishments, but not to every single team that was participating or doing what you know, the Utah Jazz got fined for doing, or what the Indiana Pacers got fined for doing. Same deal here. I mean, if you say this is okay, if you say the Qui thing is okay, you know what's stopping the Miami Heat from saying, all right, Lebron, come sign with us for the minimum and we've got fifty million dollars in a bag for you over here? You just got to you know, endorse Calshi without actually doing anything for them.
Speaker 1: I mean, is that can't that be has it. Gianni is investing Calshie already, so.
Speaker 2: Yeah he can hook him up. Yeah, there you go.
Speaker 1: See. Is there any difference, because we'll get I totally agree with you, is that it's not even it's not about Gary Trent Junior situation specifically, it's this opens the door for if there isn't some type of punishment for it, is other teams using this in a more egregious fashion or for something that is more consequential than giving Gallery Trent Junior this quasi non tax player mid level deal for a team that isn't really necessarily operating with the utmost urgency after treating honesty sent to Kumpo. I wonder if it raises the stakes of like what happens with the Kawhi Leonard and Aspiration investigation, which Mike Vorkanov of The Athletic just published a terrific piece today where he just went into detail of all the stuff that a lot of it hasn't been public knowledge yet, and the more you just read everything that's going on, I get that so much of it is circumstantial in the sense that there doesn't appear to be the smoking gun in the sense of what happened with Joe Smith where it was in writing this is that. But I don't know how you look at this and come to any other conclusion than no, like they tried to circumvent the salary, And the other conclusion would be thank god that Kawhi Leonard Marvel action figure was never released. That thing was scary looking.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the most horrifying NBA thing I've seen since the original Pierre the Pelican.
Speaker 1: Right, right, So do you think it raises does not that, I guess you couldn't raise the stakes any higher, But does it kind of increase the importance of the NBA getting this KWHI level investigation right? Because if it's this stuff is now happening at the Gary Trent Junior level, like you really need to run a point where it's all right, is this more rampant then we thought? We thought like tampering, We've just decided teams are going to tamper and that's fine. And now this is approaching a different level to where if this is as common the Gary Trent Junior stuff or the Kawhi Leoner stuff being a bigger example, if this is as common as people think, it erodes trust in the NBA. It brings into questions about like how are like, how do you go bout team building? You implement the second apron or these restrictions in theory because you want to increase parody, but you're still giving certain teams an edge if they're willing to do things like the Clippers did with Kauai. This is just I kind of understand looking at a Garrett Trent junior contract and saying like, well, what is it? What does it matter? And I saw a lot of Bucks fans taking that stance. I was like, no, like this stuff matters because it's just the benchmark against which other teams are going to operate, and if nothing is done for this or the Kauhi stuff, like this is probably is the Garrett Trent Junior thing easier to prove than the Kauai thing, just because nobody can rationally argue that this is an amount that it like, because it's not even a one plus like a one minus one where the next season is get like, this is four guarantee years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, like you look at you know, the early twenty twenties, Gary Trent Junior averaged like upwards of eighteen points of games, so maybe they think he's going to have this massive bounce back year and then we're all going to be eating our words by December. And if that's the case, more power to them. Or maybe they just think, like we have this vacuum. You know, Giannis isn't here. We obviously added Tyler Hero and a couple other guys, but like we have this vacuum for shots and touches, and Gary Junior can just stat pad on a bad team and we'll, you know, hope. And also, like to your point, you know, if your plan is like he's gonna stat pad on a bad team, then we're gonna flip him. Who's trading for him for three and a half more guaranteed years. So I think your point overall about like how this impacts competitive parody in this overall scheme of the NBA implemented this system to forced teams into making difficult choices, and if this is their way around that, you know, we're seeing Okac having to effectively salary dump Isaiah Joe Aaron Wiggins. You know, they got second round picks back for those guys, but like they are losing talent. They are a weaker roster with those two guys off than what they were last year, although obviously they added a couple draft picks as well. Uh, if this is the way around that, then that threatens the entire integrity of the system. And then you're just back to square one, where you know, we haven't seen anything quite like this yet. But what's stopping a star, you know, not from doing like what Wemby did where you just bypass the escalators, but like, what's stopping a star from just taking one hundred million dollars less than his max and not from a like Jalen Brunson. This was the most he could sign, but he could be a free agent next year. But like you know, say Nicola Jokic next year is gonna you know, on pace to be a free agent, could earn you know, five year. I think like three hundred and fifty million dollars. Yeah, three fifty three is the current projection. What if he says like, I'm good with one hundred and fifty million, then all of a sudden, you know, like these are all of this is why this stuff matters. It's because if certain teams are playing by the rules and others are not, they are going to have such a clear advantage over the ones that are And so if you know, I'm not saying the Nuggets and Jokich have a two hundred million dollar horse farm waiting for him back. But if they are somehow able to reduce the cap hit of someone like that, that just gives them such a huge advantage over every other team. And you know that was with the Bucks for the last two years. They've been trying to build around Giannis, trying to convince Giannis to say again and again and again, and if you're getting Gary Trent junior autominimum deal as part of that pitch with the understanding that you are going to pay him a lot more later than you know that Like what if Jannis had stayed because they got Gary Tron Jr. At a minimum because they potentially circummended the cap to get character on Jr. At the minimum?
Speaker 1: What is upos? You're listening to this episode right now thinking Wow, would be so cool if there were no ads on it.
Speaker 3: We have the power to make this the last ad you ever hear. And that's not a threat, it's more of a promise. The best way to support the podcast is to join our Patreon, which you can do at patreon dot com. Slash Hardwood knocks NBA tons of perks there in addition to the promise of and not threat. Can't emphasize that enough of no more ads, which is a huge bonus. We're going to do a couple of Patreon subscriber only pods every month. You get access to our discord. You just get to be a bigger part of this community. You get our sincerest appreciation, which really can you put a price on it? If you want to support the pod, that is the best way to do it. Thank you again as always for listening and for watching.
Speaker 1: And now back to the show. So you mentioned wemb He agrees to the twenty five percent max with no escalator language. And this is it's a different discussion because now we're talking about hypothetical money for the most part. But so he signs projected to be what would be a five year and two hundred and fifty two point three million dollar deal. What he gave up was the ability for that to be a five year, three hundred and two point eight million dollar deal had he made all NBA one Defensive Player of the Year or one MVP. If he's playing in sixty five games, he is checking probably more than one of those boxers. We're being honest, right, where do you land?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 1: The NBAPA is already not doesn't seem happy about it? Where do you land?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: This is different from the Gary Trent Junior situation in the sense it's hypothetical money and he's already with the team. But isn't it a like is it a slippery slope to travel down if a player of his caliber is willing to, in theory, take less than he could get, that gives the Spurs a competitive edgend retaining talent or maybe going out and acquiring talent or is that is this? Is this totally a one? Actually? I guess the real question is could you see this becoming a trend? And two is the is it ikey? Is it the same level of ikey as or is it ikey at all? Relatives to how many times can I say ikey? But is it going to be the same genre of ikey when we're talking about Yes, it's nowhere near the level of what the Clippers did allegedly did with Kawhi, It's nowhere near the level what's happening with Garret Trn Junior in the Bucks. But you are talking about someone who if he was just an unrestricted free agent or any team had the ability to give him a contract that was had the escalator language, all of them would have been willing to give it. Sure, and I'm sure the Spurs were willing to give it. That was pro reporting. I've struggled to make sense of this other than I'm uncomfortable with the idea that clear max players, even by the murky definition of well, what is a max player anymore? But clear max players who haven't really even entered their prime yet, are feeling an obligation to take less to make it easier on the team to spend.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I understand that instinct. In that perspective, I am personally completely fine with it. I actually think it's very smart of him to do it. I think he's reading the system well and he's seeing what's happening to all of these other teams. He sees that he's on a team with Steph Castle and Dylan Harper, and that these guys are also going to be you know, they they look like they will be either Max or near max players in the near future. And you know, he's seeing what's happening in Okay, see, right now, he's seeing what's happening in Boston. Right now, he's seeing what's happening with a bunch of these other teams, and he realizes, this is my way to sacrifice to increase the chances that I get to play with Steph Castle and Dylan Harper for the next half decade or more. You know, I think it's it's just a byproduct of the system that both sides agreed to. And if you know, if the players aren't happy with it, you agreed to the system, like I, you know, fight harder against this system, or fight harder to change certain aspects of the system in the next collective bargaining agreement. But like this also isn't new. I mean, the extent to which he gave up, you know, the potential of fifty million dollars. I don't think we've seen something like that in the way back when. But I was doing research for something recently and came across there was an article from ESPN in two thousand and eight. When I try to find it if I can, it was about Gilbert Arenas signing his deal, and we're going to just ignore everything that happened after he did this July third, two thousand and eight, and the lead was that Gilbert Arenas is accepting less money from the Washington Wizards, invoking an attitude far far removed from the world of his working class fans. And his quote was, what can I do for my family with one hundred and twenty seven million that I can't do with one hundred and eleven million, and then added, I'm basically giving back sixteen million. This is in line with what I've been saying the whole time. You see that you see players take max deals and they financially bind their teams. I don't want to be one of those and three years down the road your team is strapped and can't do anything about it. Again, this was two thousand and eight, so the CBA was, you know, restrictive in a different way back then, But like the Second Apron didn't exist back then, So I would argue that it's more restrictive now in terms of like what happens to the teams with these bloated payrolls. Also, the money has more than doubled, right like Wemby's making two hundred and fifty million. Gill said he gave up eleven million, so especially having seen this just payoff with Jalen Brunson in the Knicks and then winning a championship. Like, I do think it could be a trend moving forward. And I'm I don't know, I'm not It's hard for me to cry poor for someone making two Like what is Wemby gonna do with three hundred million dollars that he can't do with two hundred and fifty million dollars, you know, like at a certain point, this is just monopoly money for all these guys.
Speaker 1: I do agree with that point that the the fact that this was all collectively bargained is really important because I think that's when if you want to shift the onus onto the players and say, like, this is what you have to do to win, because the owners aren't gonna just pay and they were never gonna pay to the moon and back like pre second Apron either, but it has given them. I do think it's like this, this this cap climate has put more pressure on the players, like to do what when we did in the sense of look who at Donovan Mitchell by signing his extension and getting the max was almost and look I had to do worse contracts in the league while that news was coming out, and I do it relative to trade value in team friendliness, that's just the approach of it. He automatically made the list. He wasn't in the top two or three. But you look at Donovan Mitchell. Yes he can't be the lead playmaker, it seems like on a title team. But you go through his credentials, like recent credentials, and it's now you're at the point where are these these players almost gonna be criticized if they take the maximum allowed to them. I think I would feel differently about this entire thing if there was no max salary, because then it's a little bit different, and it's like you're already if you're gonna cap what these players can make. I don't I find it cringey that if they accept, especially when like a don of Mitchell is a good case he might be worth that contract for I don't know, three or maybe the entire three years of it, or maybe the entire thing of it. We don't know, but we're at a point we're looking at it and say like, well, the Caves are screwed because they gave a max player max money. And if you want to say that, well, there's really only like three to seven guys who are worth max money. Then to me, it's almost like, well, then why do we have max salaries. It's just so I think I feel differently about what Wemby was doing, or just the entire analysis around it, if maybe there were no max salaries. I just I'm uncomfortable with the idea that this needs to what Jalen Brunson did, and even what he did was different because that was the maximum he could sign for then, right, and this was not technically the maximum. Victor womb Yamakin's for now, and I give him props for recognizing the cap climate and seeing what's happening around the league and wanting he He claims he wants to be about winning, and I think that's where that's where you can run far Afield is if players are saying all I care about is winning, but then they're acting in direct opposition to that by signing for the maximum allowed all the time when their team is entering a crunch that you know, the owners not willing to bank roll. I can't fault the player for doing so. But Wenby is kind of He's talked about all he wants to do is win. And yes, to your point, the money's just so absurd right now that what does it actually matter? And there are some people they'll point out that money was hypothetical that he gave up. He barely played in sixty five games this year, And there have been some people that have pointed out, well, now they don't have to worry about forcing him to play in sixty five games to get to these awards thresholds. My counter that would be wemby making taking this quote unquote pay cutter, accepting less than he could have gotten is kind of proof of the competitor that he is. So he's gonna want to win Defensive Player of the Year anyway, sure, MVP anyway. So he's gonna strive to play in as many games as possible regardless. I just again, the word I keep using is uncomfortable. I don't think he's wrong for doing it. I actually think that within the constraints of what team building appears to be, he made the right call. I'm just I guess I was waiting for it to happen with question Mark Max's when it was Jaron Jackson Junior and his renegotiating extend with Memphis Daron Fox with the Spurs last summer, Trey Young this summer. I was waiting for negotiations to happen with that level of player. But to see a consensus top five guy in the league do something like this and I saw Thunder. Fans were quick to point out that chet Holmgrin didn't take escalator language and his extension cool Chenalwards is a fantastic player. He just made all NBA, so the escalator language would have mattered. He's not Victor woman Yama. This is not Jalen Brunton, isn't Victor Wimbanyama, and I love Jalen Brunson. So this is I guess the first instance of this happening being Victor Webman Yama. Maybe that's what floored me a little bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it puts it puts to your point, like puts guys like Donovan Mitchell in a tough spot because now other owners will point to Victor Webban Yama and say, you are not as good as this guy, and this guy just sacrificed. Do you actually care about winning or do you just care about money?
Speaker 1: Like I mean his own draft class right now, Wemby's the only extension that's been signed. If you're Ama Thompson or Brandon Miller, who were question mark guys to begin with, even though you're clear cornerstones of your team, how do you it's not even about Victor Wimanyama's fellow superstars. How do you like he's under he's undercut negotiations for all these just guys that might be a tier or three below him.
Speaker 2: Well, even Castle and Harper, like those guys cannot possibly go to the Spurs and say I want the escalator language now, right, I mean I or maybe they can, but I would take some real footspot right yeah yeah, So I mean I that I think is a fair concern. I think that is the players Association concern as well, is that owners are going to like look to leverage this. But you know this is this is again the system they agree to. I think this is what the NBA designed this to be, is to force team into tough choices and try to spread the superstar talent around and if guys want to continue playing on big twos and big threes and even big fours, this is the way around it until they come up with the new CBA and we'll see what. You know, what that looks like in a couple of years, but like it really is kind of a binary choice now of do you take the most money available to you at any point or do you take slightly less and therefore help your team win. And I you know, I think the the other concern about players doing this is like, Okay, it's nice, it's great that they do this. What proof do we have that the owners aren't just going to pocket the money like you need? You know, if Victim wemen Yamin is doing this and the Spurs at any point over the next couple of years do some disgusting tax dump at the trade deadline that makes their team worse just so they can get under the luxury tax, they should be fullaid for that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, even couldn't you argue that this needs to go beyond just talent retention. They're not they made it to the NBA Finals, but they're not working off a championship and they're big. Granted, the money doesn't kick in for Victim yamunittil next season, but like the Spurs' grand move of the summer was signing Tobias Harris.
Speaker 2: Yep, well that's all. I guess they have the bi annuals.
Speaker 1: So right and like again, like the Julian Champenne contract a good piece of business. The Tobias Harris like does help. But if Wemby is already making what again, I know what's hypothetical money, but it just it's it's as close to as get guaranteed money as you could get in this situation because it's Victor women Yama, just like, yeah, that dude is going to be an all NBA player perennially. So he did punt on about ten million dollars a year, a little bit more than that on average, and maybe the Spurs didn't know he was going to do that. So yeah, it's future off seasons we need to judge it against. But you're right, it should raise the bar and that's something that transactionally over what they can do with not to me, not just talent retention, but no, like do other things be more aggressive to actually upgrade the roster. It's not like Wemby made it easier for us to keep dearon Fox for the next couple of years. That move's already been made, and Wemby taking less should not be part of a calculus of the move that's already been made. Understand the retention aspect of it, but he's just to see someone so young. I know the money is like bonkers here, but do you know who the money is even more bonkers for the billionaire owners.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean it's like I could understand why anyone is like grossed out by bus And I think it's fair to point out, especially for a player of Wemby's caliber, to make this kind of a sacrifice is notable, like which.
Speaker 1: I don't criticize him for I know that, which again I don't think I'm not anti Victor wembanyat he what you said, he read, He's read the tea leaves or he studied what's happening in the moment, and he made what was a smart decision like that, if he wants this team to be together or continue to be able to improve, he made I wouldn't even call it like a good decision. It was the correct decision, maybe even the only. If you want this to be your core two years from now, this might have been the only decision, really.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, I mean I wonder how much of it is because they have these two other up and coming stars, Like if they only had one of Castle and Harper, Does he make the same choice. I don't know, but I think, you know, seeing that, like it's not just me that we're gonna have to pay, you gotta pay these two other guys. We you know, Fox, I can't imagine as part of the long term picture there, like once Harper and Castle are off their rookie scale deals, I would be surprised if Dearon Fox is still on the team, but they are paying him as well for now. I mean even Devin Vessel, you know, in the mid twenties for the next couple of years, Champagne now fifteen ish for the next three years, Like they're gonna start to get expensive too. And I think Wemby, I would think what's happening in Okay See right now should be eye opening to him, especially since you know, the Thunder position to be the Spurs' biggest rivals for the near future. But really for any superstar, it's like it's just really impossibly hard to build around a big three when all three guys are on max contracts under the CBA. And maybe that changes under the next system, but we've still got at least I believe three more years guaranteed that we're under this one, so I think that's right. Yeah, So you know, I think guys need to be planning accordingly. And you know, I I know the players union is not happy with how things have been going lately, but you know, every round of collective bargaining negotiations is always starts the same way as the owner is asking for an actual hard gap. And if you think they're going to change, that stands this time around.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the second Apron's not going anywhere. That's because that's basically functionally a hard gap. We've seen teams go over it, so it's not and they have the option to go over it, but that's functionally speaking. It seems like they're that's we're going to reach a point where it's no one goes over the second ape, or if they do, it's for a year and then they pull back.
Speaker 2: Right, they're treating it as a hardcap. And yeah, I think it like the the frozen draft pick, and like the draft pick going down to the bottom of the first round, no team is gonna willingly do that, especially given like if the Lattery reform holds true beyond twenty twenty nine as well, like that, I.
Speaker 1: Would argue the frozen draft pick could actually be a good thing because it would save teams. Moving it to the back of the first round is problematic, but you need to be in the second aprin for three of five years, right or three of four for that to go through. So I'd argue the frozen draft pick. It'll hurt you in some trades and stuff, but it also might save you from yourself because you're not you're forced to not give up what could be this valuable roster building ship.
Speaker 2: Sure that's fair. Yeah, I mean, I think, like with all things NBA, that you need to consider how each piece of the puzzle fits together, and I don't think the NBA has been doing a great job of that as of late. So you know, with the draft picks stuff like this lattery, you just changed, how allegedly changed how teams were gonna value draft picks for the next years. And like, you know, the frozen draft pick stuff is seven years in the future, so it's gonna be under a new CBA. You know, teams don't necessarily need to worry about that. But we also don't know what the lottery is going to look like beyond twenty twenty nine.
Speaker 1: Feels like it's going to be the credit system.
Speaker 2: I think, Yeah, that's seems to be one of the popular ideas floating out there, But you know, it's just I don't know how teams, like your job as a general manager, as a team president or whatever is to you know, you're trying to win a championship now, if you're going to win that window, but you also need to plan for the future. And I just have no freaking clue how teams are supposed to plan for the future with just all of this uncertainty, you know, lottery potential new CBA in three years, Like, what does the NBA look like in twenty twenty nine? How do I plan ahead? Because we're starting to you know, you're starting to sign guys to contracts that are going to beyond go beyond twenty twenty nine, and like, what does that mean?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: I think Jalen Brown's a really good example of that. Like he's eligible for an extension in a couple of weeks, but if he signs the extension, that's going beyond where the new CBA could go to. In fact, like, is any team willing to make that risk for any guy who isn't like Wemby level.
Speaker 1: I had thought for this exact reason why we might see fewer like high end draft picks exchange hands this summer. And then it's like, No, the Wolves traded a twenty thirty three pick. No, the Sun's traded a twenty thirty three pick for some reason, the Sixers gave up some premo draft equity to get John Brown. The Heat went all in Ony honest, and Yannest was the guy where it was someone will always trade for gianness without knowing what the draft rules are gonna be or the contract rules moving forward. But like Jalen Brown and LaMelo Ball and.
Speaker 2: Miles of Bridge.
Speaker 1: So that was I guess there will always be a level of teams. If they're already pot committed to the present, they'll mortgage the future, regardless of how uncertain it is. But yeah, I mean that's a that's a fair question. You did mention though the three max model mm hmm. Philadelphia doesn't think it's dead. And I haven't spoken to you in an official capacity since the John Brown trade, and I want to ask you a question about what's more in line with the discussion we're having right now is what Brad Steven said about trading John Brown in the first place. But from a Sixers perspective, as someone who intimately covers and follows this team, how do you feel about the John Brown trade? Two weeks ish.
Speaker 2: Later, I'm at peace with it because, like I understand, like I actually can respect what Brad Stevens is saying, and I you know, I listened to that whole press conference and he was just getting absolutely proasted by the media. Uh, but he just kept doubling back on like we just it was more beyond like you know, he said, we don't want to pay seventy percent of our cap and like tie up so much of our usage in these two players. So I'm wondering if they saw like the overlap or them being somewhat duplicative as part of the problem, Like would they have done this move if Jalen Brown was a seven foot center, and you know, they they him and Tatum were different, more different stylistically, because he kept saying, like, we need to figure out ways to diversify our attack, and he was saying that even at the end of the playoffs after they lost in the first round, he was like, that's our focus this summer, I mean, and more or less sounded like he thought they were basically three point merchants, and then when the threes weren't falling, they didn't have another way to attack, which I think is.
Speaker 1: If they proceeded to make a trade that addressed absolutely none.
Speaker 2: Correct, Yeah, if anything, doubled down on that model. So you know, I think it's impossible to judge this trade from Boston's perspective. Right now. We'll have to see what they do with the Paul George contract. Presumably they look to flip him either at the trade deadline or next summer, whether it's for no he kept Stevens kept mentioning depth in particular, So I'm not convinced that they flip OPG for another guy earning fifty plus million, like I think do they?
Speaker 1: That would run in stark contrast to the reason he claims they traded Jalen Brown.
Speaker 2: Right, So I'm thinking they'd probably try to break him up into a couple of smaller deals, which is what I assumed the Sixers were going to do in twenty twenty seven as well. But from the Sixers side of things, like that money was spent either way, youpot committed to the big three model. In July of twenty twenty four. I did not think there was any realistic way they were getting off of Paul George this summer without I mean, I assumed it would cost two first round picks to get off of him, and just you know, for like a zach Lavine type like getting a much younger, much healthier Jalen Brown. I don't know. I think it's it's a gamble worth taking, and I reserve the right to take back all of this if they give him a massive extension, either in the next two weeks or well, they can only add one year if they do it now, but you know they could.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so couldn't you argue that that would be the safer out because then you're into him for fewer years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, instead of because next year you can get a three year extension. Yeah, you know, I I I understand why they did it, because they just you can't go through another system another year where you're playing the will he and won't he play game with both embiid and Paul George and you're making Tyre's Maxie play forty minutes a game. And you know, I honestly, like we know how the NBA works. You're always on the clock with your stars. Tyres Maxie only has three years left on his deal, and I'm not saying Tyre's Maxie is like starting to eye at his exit from Philly or that he's unhappy, and you know, by all accounts he is still very happy there. I would imagine the addition of VJ edgecumb last year, you know, makes it easier to see a path forward past Joel Embiid and Paul George. Jalen Brown to me feels like kind of the bridge between those two eras, like beyond the MBID era, but like Jalen Brown's going on thirty. You know, he's not him and VJ are not aligned age wise either, So you know, I don't know that Jalen Brown is going to spend the rest of his career in Philadelphia. In fact, I would bet pretty heavily against it. But I think they just saw this as a clear opportunity to upgrade at a fairly reasonable price given what it would have cost just a dump PG in general, and that he's gonna be on paper like, there are some fit questions, I think it's fair to say with how he'll mix with with the MBID MAXI Edgecumbe. But I mean the guy, he's gonna play hard. He stays healthy, or he has at least historically stayed healthy, and you know, I think there's value in not burning out Maxi and Edgecombe during the regular season so they're not running on fumes in the playoffs. I think Brown will be a big help in that regard. And I mean, honestly, with how pissed off he seems to be in the wake of this trade. Yeah, I think they're also probably assuming that Boston might have created a monster here and that he's gonna, Yeah, he's gonna look to like prove, you know, all of the you're the seventh best player on your team. Like. There's been a lot of insane discourse about Jalen Brown this summer, and I think he's gonna be on a mission to shut everyone up once the season starts.
Speaker 1: Do you have like a biggest on court concern or question about how this will fit together?
Speaker 2: I think just the floor spacing in general. I mean, we'll see. Obviously there's a big free agent who's still lingering out there that the Sixers are allegedly pursuing. But well, if he if.
Speaker 1: He that highly about Nick Richards.
Speaker 2: I do. I would love Nick Richards. That's that's my other concern about this roster is are you really look forty?
Speaker 1: And you know my rationale behind that one. They undermined the Knicks rum within. They forced the Knicks to sign Andres Rummond so well.
Speaker 2: When they're starting hook porty for fifty games because Joel Embiid's knees implode, We'll see who gets the last laught there. But yeah, I think floor spacing general. I mean, Max, he's obviously a great three point shooter and bid can hit it, but was not a very good three point shooter at all. It's just not very high volume edgecomb. I'm sure he's going to be working on that shot all summer. We'll see where he stands once the season begins. But you know, I think that's going.
Speaker 1: To be.
Speaker 2: I think they're going to be more of a like running gun team. I think they want to just run up and down the floor, and I think they're going to lean into that. I think Nick Nurses wanted to play that way for a while. They've got the athletes now. I think Jalen Brown is actually going to fit in really well with that. How Joel Embiid fits into a system like that less clear. Yeah, I think there's gonna be and they started to do this last year really kind of leaned into it more that there is a style that you play when Embid's on the floor, and that there's a different style that you play when he's off the floor. But you have you basically work on both of these in tandem, rather than we are building our entire offense around with Joel Embiid. Those days are done. They're even more done now. You know, there's gonna be the natural question of like who gets the last shot in a close game. I don't think there's gonna be a go to guy there necessarily. I think it will vary by opponent and by situation. So I'm less concerned with that, but just kind of how flourish basing in general. Since Maxi is really their only like good high volume three point shooter, We'll see if Dean Wade increases his volume there. And you know, he's fine, but he's not like a forty point shooter or anything. So Simons, yeah, I mean he's but like, is he playing in three guard lineups at the end of the game? Are you doing, like Simons VJ, Maxi, Brown, Embiid, why not would rather?
Speaker 1: I guess you'd rather have Dean Wade in that spot for.
Speaker 2: The defense, I would think, But.
Speaker 1: Let's get some LeBaron Filon.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, I mean yeah. Like I think Simons was a big addition, especially at the price they got him. But you know, there there are some kinks that they're going to have to work out early in the season. Like I don't if they had Lebron, it's a different story right now. I don't think they are quite on the next tier, don't.
Speaker 1: I don't understand the Lebron fit other than positionally where though we need a four and Lebron slots into that. Because you look at my biggest concern for them would be and I actually don't think it's gonna end up being a huge concern, but what is just the on ball share of the offense look like? Because we saw Embiid had twenty five point four percent of the team's on ball offensive possessions when he was on the court last year. That was a career low. I believe Tyrese Maxi was at fifty one point three percent, and then Jalen Brown in Boston was at forty seven point seven percent. We've seen Jalen Brown use quite a bit less though in the past, when Jason Tatum has been healthy, So there's that. But if you're trying to scale up vj Edgecombe, who had fewer on ball looks than even Joel Embiid, I'm curious to see just how that dynamic plays out. I'm confident enough that between what they can do and transition, as you mentioned, then just coupled with we've seen Jalen Brown play off the ball more in the past, and then we know Tyre's MAXI could toggle between multiple existences because you look at how many different just like co Run before he was their best player, like all the different running Ben Simmons, James Harden, like Joel Embiid at the peak of his powers. So he's just toggled between so many existences. I'm confident it, but I'm still kind of curious to see what the setup of the offense looks like when all four of those guys are in the game. Now you have Lebron James into that equation, and I don't like, Yeah, Lebron James can space a little bit and like catch and drive. Sure is that really the role Lebron James is going to be playing. So I would be so curious as to what this team looks like if now he needs to be integrated into the mix.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the thing that would give me optimism is how willing he was to take a step back for the Lakers late in the year and kind of play more of that off ball.
Speaker 1: You'll let us all know about it too.
Speaker 2: He sure did. Yeah, well, there was a big sacrifice, but you know the fact that he was willing to do that and kind of seemed to enjoy that. Like I'm I'm not sure that Lebron, at age forty one, wants to continue playing the same like, high usage, high volume style that he has played for twenty three plus years. Like I would imagine after all that time, maybe dude just wants to coast a little bit and doesn't want to have to carry the team, in which case, you know, he's got a couple of horses in Philly who could help him do that in the regular season and then when the playoffs come then we could start to ramp up a little bit.
Speaker 1: The Boston side of this, I wanted to get into a little bit more just because you had mentioned Brad Stevens's comments about why the trade was made and so in a vacuum, I understand it, but this, if this is all as you mentioned, we're gonna need to evaluate this against the years to come, the next moves to come. I understand that aspect of it too, But then does this augur a trend where he's sitting there saying we didn't feel comfortable paying seventy percent of the salary cap for these two guys. You were willing to, in theory, punt on at least one season then of championship contention with those two to get out of Jalen Brown's deal sooner, which is like, that's the thing that I'm struggling to wrap my head around. Is I understand where you're coming from, but you're still paying out this money to two players. It's just inferior in the aggregate between those two players because you've gone from Jalen Brown to Paul George And so does portend thinking of, well, this might need we need to take a step back, because then we're eventually going to need to make other moves to diversify our roster, deepen our roster, redistribute the salary structure. That's what I'm having trouble squaring away is that for them to sit here and say, we didn't want to pay this much to these two players. Are they operating under the assumption that will Jaylen Brown's trade value was about to implode because other teams were thinking the same way. I like, what was your read just on that, because they haven't really, they haven't done nothing to redistribute to redistribute the cap now.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah. I mean they you know, did not say outright, we are planning on trading Paul George within the next year, but they were not as effusive about the addition of Paul George. You know, they said the right things, but they were not like, yes, this guy is a long term part of our future, so yes, it does nothing for them financially right now. Or Paul George waived his trade kicker, so it's like three million dollars off there cap sheet right now. I think they're clearly trying to duck the tax again this year. That will reset the repeater tax for them, then they can go over.
Speaker 1: It, which I think they did by waving Delanobanton. There might be some more futzing and fiddling they do if they want to fill that roster spot. But yeah, that's clearly a priority.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So you know it's funny go to your favorite sports book of choice right now and you pull up the title odds and the Celtics are still above the sixers right now. So everyone's like freaking out about like, how could the Celtics punt on this team? And it's like the odds makers don't think they did. The odds makers still think they're one of the best teams in the East. And you know, you could make the case that if Tatum is healthy and back to being Jason Tatum and Paul George, you know, is a really good three point shooter, like he will actually fit when healthy, he will fit well with that system too. I don't necessarily see it as they punted on championship chances are you know what they thought, Like Brad Stevens really came out and said, like, we lost in the first round. We are far removed from being a championship level team. And I don't know that the addition of Mitch Robinson, you know, he's going to help obviously, especially on the glass and defensively, but he's useless outside of three feet from the basket, So he's not going to diversify the offensive attack either. I think that's just kind of a work in progress. And they they saw this as you know, Jalen Brown is extension eligible in a couple of weeks here. I don't know that they would have had to give him the extension this summer, or that he would have demanded it this summer, but if they thought it was trending in that direction, you know, that's when you start to lose leverage. Is Jalen Brown wants an extension, we're not giving it to him. If that news breaks, they're trading him for even potentially they're trading him for even less than they did right now, So I think might have been their attempt to get ahead of that. You know, I think it's completely reasonable for Celtics fans to be mad about this trade right now, to not understand the vision right now, especially you know, I think them trading him to a division rival in particular, it was a bitter pill to swallow, and I totally get that. I will say when the like gut reaction when the news broke was like this sounds too good to be true. This is going to blow up in the Sixers face somehow, And maybe this is just markl Foltz PTSD talking, maybe this is Al Horford PTSD talking. But we've we've seen a couple big transactions involving the Sixers and the Celtics in recent years and historically has not gone the Sixers way, even when it seems like the Sixers were the clear winners at the time. So I'm I'm really trying not to dance on the Celtics graves here, Like I think they have something in mind. What it is is unclear to me at the moment, but you know, in a year's time, in two years time, I think we look back at this trade very differently than we do right now. And I'm because of that, I am like reticent to kill Brad Stevens and kill the Celtics for what they did.
Speaker 1: Well right, and I it will look different. There's a difference though, between saying that the Celtics got worse and that they're gonna be dog shit next season, because as from a regular season perspective, if Paul George is healthy, he might be the cleaner fit. You do have some questions about who's gonna kind of shoulder some of that, like Jalen Brown's biggest value to me is that when you looked at his true shooting percentage against top five defense or top five defenses or top ten defenses, it was virtually unchanged and it was still it was around like fifty six, so not super high. But to have someone who can do that, and when you're looking at Paul George not as much rim pressure, he saw his efficiency decline a little bit more when you were going up against top tier defenses. It's the year that I'm focused on, though, because it's in my belief it's or I would even look at it this way, is do I think Boston would have a better chance of winning a title with Jalen Brown and Jason Tatum over the next three years or this package of Paul George and the two picks and then whatever they do with it. I'm going to take the Jallen Brown Jason Tatum route, in large part because you are kind of saying unless you think that this trade somehow improved Boston's twenty twenty seven title equity, which I just don't see the vision for. I don't know what the pathway to that would be. It's probably they made a move at the trade deadline. That's what I can't get on board with, and so it made me wonder even venturing outside Boston. And the other part that's tough to square away with this is there are front offices and organizations that I am totally comfortable of viscerating, disemboweling. The Celtics under Brad Stevens are not one of them. This is a super smart organization and so you're inclined to take a step back. I still hate the trade, but it did make you. It did make me pause a little bit more before saying I didn't like the trade, because well, what are my miss here? And that question still bumbling throughout the back and front of my mind. I'm just wondering now if they were worried about losing leverage with Jaylen Brown, Who's a player that I think in the current climate, people agree is a really good basketball player, not worth the not worth thirty five percent of the salary cap the deal that he was on. Do we start to have questions about players who fall into the same boat where you're we're seeing teams trying to move those deals two or three years before they could, like this is taboo, Like do we find that this might be a bad example because they might salary dump him anyway. But the Sixers with Tyres MAXI is that he's coming up on his next deal that's two years away. We don't think he's the top ten guy, top seven guys, and we don't want to pay him his next deal. Is that a thinking that can now permeate the rest of the league, because to me, that's what that's what Boston is saying here to me, because this trade was not about this year, and you could say, yeah, we lost in the first round, Jason Tatum was injured. He was coming back from an achilles injury before he finished the season on the shelf. This season wasn't supposed to be about contending for a title. So I find that I don't find that argument from him, or that point from him particularly convincing. Just because you weren't supposed to be everyone thought, which was my read on the Jallen Brown comments, and maybe I was wrong. He thought he said this was his favorite season of his career. People took that as a shot at I want to be the number one guy over Tatum. I also looked at it as idiots like me declared the Celtics doa during the season. They were going to tank and prioritize where their draft pick landed, and so them undermining those opinions, I thought, is what made it enjoyable. So that's why the Brad Stevens hole what we lost in the first round. We're not title contenders right now. You weren't supposed to be this past year. So that's why I clocked this in the sense of I'm wondering if it's the type of thinking that we see permeate the rest of the league, especially given some of the other things we just talked about, the Wemby extension being the main one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I think we're already starting to see it to some extent. Like what was the commentary about the Spurs after the NBA Finals. It was they need to get off of Daron Fox, right, I.
Speaker 1: Mean, Charloie Trayla Melo Ball that were sitting right there totally.
Speaker 2: Like yeah, And I think it's just you know, teams, some teams are being brutally honest, and like I think Boston. Boston is just such a unique situation because they took advantage there was that one year phasing window like the CBA went to effect in twenty three, and then there was a one year phasing window twenty three to the twenty three twenty four season, which is when they won the title. Of like not all of the second Apron stuff was fully in effect yet, so like that's how they got Christops, That's how they got Drew. They took advantage of that one year window. It paid off in a championship, paid off handsomely, and like maybe if Tatum doesn't tear his achilles, they don't tear this thing down quite as quickly. But this core was never built to last. This was just a flash in the pan of Welt. We're pot committed to this massive payroll either way, we might as well, you know, figure out a way to maximize our odds before we're like locked into this specific core because we can't aggregate contracts after this year. Blah blah blah blah. So you know, I think that's kind of fueling some of the like recoil in Boston. It's not just that they broke up the J's, it's that, you know, you look at the top six of their championship team that they won two years ago, and four of those guys are no longer on the team, and I think that's a larger problem for the NBA, which we can get into. But yeah, I mean like when the Sun signed Devin Booker to his they gave him the two year extension, I believe, Yeah, a two year thirty five percent extension. A lot of the commentary at the time was like, great player, why are you doing this right now? And even you know you brought up Donovan Mitchell earlier, like as soon as he's signed that contract, I had the same reaction that you did. This is just immediately one of the worst contracts in the league. And would I be surprised if in two or three years time the Cabs with Mitchell are in the same spot that the Boston Celtics just were with Jalen Brown. No, And I think that's it speaks to a larger problem with the system, And you know, maybe it's one you know, that team the players will need to get more aggressive about fixing in the next CBA. Is that like, And our mutual friend Morton Jensen and I have been on this for years. Like the current setup of you know, twenty five percent max for your first six years in the league, thirty percent max for years seven through nine, thirty five percent for ten plus that doesn't make since with ho an NBA player's career tends to go. Or maybe if you want to do that, then you need to include a lower the maximum on the back end of you know, once your past year fifteen, you can't get the thirty five percent max anymore because you're just committing so much money to these guys on the back ends of their career. You know, like Donovan Mitchell right now, you could tell me, I you know, he's been all NBA, I think for the second team or third team. He's like finished in the MVP race, Like I think top seven in each of the last three years. That guy right now, you could convince me is worth a thirty five percent max. Is he going to be worth a thirty five percent max in his age thirty four season? Probably not, but that'll.
Speaker 1: Be a thirty seven and a half percent max.
Speaker 2: Right yeah. So like that I think is the big problem is that just the current system doesn't make sense because we are setting teams up to pay players exorbitant amounts of money past their prime, like more money than they could earn during their primes. They're being paid past their primes and now you're just forced to give these giant toxic contracts or I mean the alternative is that you start to play hardball with these guys. But these teams also know there are twenty nine other teams in the league, and all it takes is one idiot to throw a thirty five percent max and you're screwed. So it's it's just like you're in a no win situation, especially for Cleveland's, you know, being what seems like pole position for Lebron. Is Lebron gonna want to sign there if Donovan Mitchell has not signed an extension, And the entire story all year is Donovan Mitchell is about to become a free agent twenty twenty seven. Where's he going to go? Like Lebron doesn't want to deal with that drama, presumably, so like Cleveland.
Speaker 1: Wants to create his own drama for us, that's right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe he'll teach Donovan Mitchell about like, if you're gonna do the decision, do it on Netflix this time at least get some money.
Speaker 1: For it, or do it via voice notes And.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I mean, I I don't I don't have a good answer here, Like I can completely understand why there is skepticism about what the Celtics did and like whether this is going to be a trend moving forward. I think yeah. I mean, Jamal Murray found himself in trade rumors this offseason, or at least to some extent. I mean, Zach Lavine is like a radioactive contract right now. I mean give him away John Morant even, I mean, like imagine going back two or three years ago and telling yourself that's what John Morant would get traded for, even Tree.
Speaker 1: Young and then get maxed out right quasi max out?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I mean it's it's a The system itself is just broken right now, and I don't I don't know how to fix it beyond like I think what Houston has quietly done a pretty good job of. No, they have not. They've been playing hardball with all of their players, including I mean KD took thirty or thirty million dollars less than his max. I think Shan Gun was like forty less than his max. Jalen Green wasn't even close. Even Tarry Easton getting him basically, yeah, I mean, and they I want to say, they offered him one hundred million.
Speaker 1: I think it was it wasn't fully guaranteed, but yeah, there was more there was a potential for more guaranteed money in the preseason deal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So, like I think teams you either go that route and you just kind of set that standard across the roster. And I think Houston has kind of set themselves up quietly pretty well. I mean, we'll see what happens with im and Thompson obviously, but like, because they have negotiated what I would consent to be actual market value contracts for these guys, you know, I think they're they're in much better shape than a lot of other teams around the league.
Speaker 1: Brian, Can you just tell everyone where they can find you and all the fantastic work that you do.
Speaker 2: Sure you find me on Blue Sky at B T O, P O R e K salary cap stuff, a lot at Forbes and Fan Sided as well, Sixers at Liberty Ballers and Lakers at Silver Screen Role do a lot of cap stuff for both of those teams, So check those out as well, and then obviously bleach your report. Please check out Dan's work because we got a fun project coming out in the next couple of days. I'm very excited. I'm sorry for breaking your brain to the extent that I loved it.
Speaker 1: I told you before we hopped for recording, it was actually my favorite one that you've had me that you've asked me to do, but non non five year redraft related, because that's always a favorite, which everyone should be on the lookout for. That too, might be coming later this time.
Speaker 2: That's right, that's right. Yeah, now I'm taking that as a personal challenge. So now I'm going to cook up something even.
Speaker 1: More switch just I don't know how long you need to brainstorm the idea that you gave me, but I loved it. I was just like, this is great.
Speaker 2: I've got a couple others that I'm keeping in the back pocket. So now that was my mission to just hand you the most fun and brain breaking things that could possibly.
Speaker 1: Think of anything that I have fun with. And at the end I get super disappointed that, well, everyone's gonna hate us anyway, even though I really enjoyed putting it together.
Speaker 2: Perfect. Yeah, that's really my mission.
Speaker 1: Until next time, and as always, shout out to mister Frank Nilikina