Speaker 1: Welcome, dear listener, and thanks for joining us. And I'm Stephen and.
Speaker 2: This is a podcast all about the weird and wonderful world of the Dark comedy anthology series Inside number nine.
Speaker 1: On each episode, we'll be diving into another one of Steve Pemberton and Reese Shearsmith's twisted tales, putting it under a lens, and examining it within an inch of its life.
Speaker 2: So make yourself comfortable, grab a cup of tea, and join us for the ninth degree. Hello, Hello, Hello, welcome back. How are you?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm all right. How are you?
Speaker 2: I'm good? Thank you old, I'm old? Yeah, thank exciting going on with you?
Speaker 1: I mean, we've got a new sofa delivered. That's about as exciting as it gets. All saying that I finished my book oh yeah, which was good, which I was going to bring up in this episode anyway.
Speaker 2: Actually, so well, if it's all I think it is, it kind of fits exactly.
Speaker 1: So yeah, more on that later. Yeah, but yes, should we reveal last week's hair Hmmm?
Speaker 2: It was one of mine. It was quite an obvious one. But I feel like we're getting to the point in the series where they're maybe going to start getting a bit more obvious. It was control alt escape. They're going to take control of the situation with Arlow distracting the guards and all the people. They're going to swap out the coffee for some reason. They're going to run away with the diamonds. So you could say their plot is just to control escape. I know it was obvious, but yeah, the same term, I'm not sure where we're going to get it in.
Speaker 1: No exactly, we're getting to the point where the ones we've been leaving because we've been thinking out how are we going to get that in? They're kind of all stacking up now.
Speaker 2: But yes, so this week, yes, we are back with episode two of series six. Simon says the summary for this on it's quite a long one, everyone says the season seven finale of Fantasy Epic The Ninth Circle was pretty disappointing. Even show a Spencer Maguire is keen to move on to new projects, but not everyone thinks that it has to be the end of the matter. In fact, Ninth Circle obsessive Simon Smethurst decides to visit his hero to help put things right, because that's what the fans would want.
Speaker 1: Cool, it's almost as long as the episode.
Speaker 2: Thoughts, I like it, I really like it. A couple of gripes, but yeah, I do really like it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's quite an awkward one to be sitting here doing a podcast about it. Yeah, how ironic.
Speaker 2: But yeah, with a podcast, of course you do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I think that's quite understandable, making a podcast about a show he loves, Great Adventure, Mystery Romance. I mean, it's obviously a very good show.
Speaker 2: He's clearly everyone loved it. It is. It is so like relevant that it's like continues to be with every big series that gets a finale. It just reinforces this thing that it's almost impossible to stick a landing in these things that pleases. It is everyone not even pleases, everyone pleases a majority is impossible.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I do think it's because everyone gets so invested in it and they've invested a lot of time in it. Yeah, and then it lives in your own imagination.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Plus it's the sort of wisdom of crowds thing of like go back twenty years or not even that long, Like people couldn't talk so openly about it and discuss it as easily. It would just be with their friends, and that would be it. Whereas now you've got Reddit and you've got all these forums and all these things, and people will ultimately, like a crowd of thousands will ultimately come up with a better ending than one person could. Yeah, and it's never going to live up to what they want. And even if it does live up to what they say, well, then they're going to be disappointed because oh, well that was the obvious answer or whatever. Yes, you just can't win.
Speaker 1: No, But also it is that you know, artistic integrity and like, you know, the person who created it, surely their vision must count for something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you think so.
Speaker 1: So I don't know. It's tricky, isn't it. Yeah, And obviously for them as as you know, creators, writers, showrunners themselves, it's well, there's that side of it. But I feel like they're also quite nerdy, fan inclined people themselves, So I feel like there's probably the two sides there. They probably understand both sides.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they are such fanboys of certain genres. Yeah, it's so hard not to do what they complain fans do. Like, everyone's got an opinion. It doesn't mean your opinion's worth anything, but everyone's got one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I mean, obviously we will get into it, but I feel like this episode does quite a good job of showing Okay, you know there's the extreme unpleasant side of fandom, but there's also a more gentle, sort of appreciative and nicer side of it as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's all about trying to stay on the right side.
Speaker 1: Yes exactly. But I don't think anyone thinks they're on Simon's side, just that you all think you're doing the right thing. It's like, you know, the villain is never the villain in their own story.
Speaker 2: It's the Internet to blame. I blame the Internet for all of that.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, the Internet is the root of all evil, says we're making a podcast.
Speaker 2: But it's where it comes from. If it's come from a place of actual love of the thing, oh exactly, exactly, then it's a bit different.
Speaker 1: The Internet's just the just the medium. It's the people and the the culture that can come up. Because I don't know, I was I was going to bring this up. I'm not sure when was the right moment, but maybe now that it's it's interesting. I don't get it. But Reys Sheersmith mm HM has quite a following and some of his fans can be a bit strange to put it that way. I mean, obviously this episode is a lot about parasocial relationships, and I feel like, I don't know what it is about this man, Reece Shearsmith that seems to inspire an awful lot of that from what I've seen online.
Speaker 2: Interesting yep, And I mean I feel.
Speaker 1: Sorry for him that he has this going on.
Speaker 2: It must be so scary. Yeah, you put these things out into the world and it's just oh, well, like I don't make a spreadsheet at work and then expect to get vilified on the internet for it.
Speaker 1: Whatever.
Speaker 2: It's just at work, I replied to an email or whatever, like it's the same thing at the end of the day. Yes, but your work is seen by millions hopefully, and yeah, it's then what people do with that. Yeah, it must be weird. Like, you know, when you go to these conventions, it's like all these most people have gone are meaning well, but when you get someone that's you know, brings up some pasta glued together the thing of you or whatever that they want to give you, and it must be really weird.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, yeah, I guess a pasta glue together thing isn't isn't that?
Speaker 2: You know what you see? You see all the tiktopes of people presenting things to people. Yeah yeah, oh I don't know. I get such secondhand embarrassment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Now, I think for me it's more like the you know, keeping tabs on where you're going to be and being there so that you can follow them and sort of you know, it becomes a bit stalkrish.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, but no, but.
Speaker 1: All of it is. I know it's a it's all related, but it's like where you draw the line, like between being a fan and being inappropriate and not respectful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's one thing like going to a stage door of for play. There's another thing like hunting them down at a restaurant or wherever.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah yeah, so yeah, I'm sure none of our listeners are that way inclined.
Speaker 2: Yea, yeah, don't find me and Tesca.
Speaker 1: No, oh, I didn't mean for us. I meant for.
Speaker 2: I have to go out in the big hat and the glasses.
Speaker 1: Now yeah, yeah, someone will just seeing Tescas and they just hear some voice saying I haven't considered that.
Speaker 2: I know that. Someone did say to me at work they'd heard I did a podcast and I was like, that's weird. How did that happen?
Speaker 1: How did that get around?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know. He didn't want, he wouldn't say, And I'm like, that's even creepier.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is funny, isn't it.
Speaker 2: You told anyone? Yeah, it's very weird. Hi, if you're listening, Pablo.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a few quite a few episodes ago, we did Empty Orchestra. I was saying about the character that Steve played reminded me very much of my colleague. And then when I left my place of work, my colleague said, oh, I might listen to your podcast now you're leaving. No, listen to that one, oh dear. Anyway, So the moral of that little diversion was, don't be weird about people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just be normal, Just be normally.
Speaker 1: Respectful, understand that people are human beings.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And also just because you've seen someone on the TV a lot and they've been in your living room, because they're on your TV, he doesn't mean you know them.
Speaker 2: No, And like it's one thing if they're like a director or something where they're not playing a character, but especially for actors and things where you really don't know them you've never seen the real them very much.
Speaker 1: So weird though, isn't it? Because you hear about people who've like played villains and things, or they've been in a soap and they've done something horrible to someone and then they get attacked in the street or people like spit at them in the street and stuff. It's like, it's not me, that's a character.
Speaker 2: So weird, isn't it.
Speaker 1: And certain people just can't People can't get their heads around it.
Speaker 2: No. I remember. I know this is going back a very long time, but a friend of mine's dad once worked as a taxi driver in Manchester and he'd got someone asking to be taken to the courthouse in Manchester because they wanted to see Deirdre's trial from Coronation Street. This is going back and he was like, oh, you're going to go and see it being filmed? Is that now? I want to go and sit and watch the trial. You know it's not real, right, it's insane Jesus. Yeah, So I worry about people.
Speaker 1: It's like these people who don't don't understand that writers exist, and they seem to think the actors just make it up as they go along.
Speaker 2: You see, there's a lot more to the credits than.
Speaker 1: The very strange the way people's minds work.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I worry about people.
Speaker 1: Speaking of which, shall we discuss the episode?
Speaker 2: Yeah, probably should. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So Steve's character, Spencer Maguire, great name.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a great way.
Speaker 1: Great hair. Yeah, it's amazing, isn't it.
Speaker 2: It's an interesting I like it. I like it.
Speaker 1: And then the glasses he just he comes across as such a pretentious you know, he's very he's obviously a very crafted image. And that's another thing like that. We are in this world now where creates on TV shows like that are the sort of becoming public figures in a way that they weren't before. Yeah, like Russell cy Davies for example. Yeah, you know, he's a face of like say, doctor Who in a way that it just wouldn't have been in like the nineties, or you've.
Speaker 2: Never heard of him, like not never heard of him, but you wouldn't ever hear about what he has to think about anything, yeah, thirty years ago. Yeah, in the same way. It's strange.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's interesting. It So obviously he's been to an awards night, got very drunk in his.
Speaker 2: Club indeed, and come back covered in blood. There's always a good way to end a night. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think when when you first watch it, the immediate assumption is that he has murdered someone. I think he's so like, oh my god, clean, clean, clean, and panicking like that. Yeah, like he's trying to get rid of any evidence.
Speaker 2: It's creepy music and all that dark room and yeah, what's he done.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a nice apartment he has.
Speaker 2: M Yeah, it's nice. Which were not necessarily in a nine this week the apartment wise, no, which is fine. I'm not complaining. I thought you're going to tell.
Speaker 1: Me of no. No, I know, well, I don't have a problem.
Speaker 2: With it in a way that it's not the apartment meant they could have gone to different locations, yet they still stuck to the apartment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because it's very much a staple, isn't it. Yeah, So the way I see it, obviously, the show is called the Ninth Circle, which is a reference to the circles of Hell. Yes, and I see it as that Simon is putting Spencer into the Ninth Circle of Hell by what he's doing to him effectively, so he is inside it in a sense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, especially considering he's not interested anyway in the series, like he's given. Yeah, he's dragging him back. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So he is inside the nine of the Ninth Circle?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, yeah, so I can't remember my Dante. What is the ninth circle?
Speaker 1: I don't know what the ninth one is now. I was going to look that up and I forgot.
Speaker 2: Is that betrayers? I think that's betrayers and things? I don't know, because I'm sure that's one step up from the Devil who's in like Ice at the bottom, right, I'm sure it's like Judice and stuff. Yes, if and Brightly is in the ninth Yeah.
Speaker 1: So this show, I mean it's it's obviously a Game of Thrones standing.
Speaker 2: No, No, not at all.
Speaker 1: Are you a Game of Thrones fan?
Speaker 2: Yes? And no, I have watched it. I thought it was okay. Yeah, I enjoyed it, but not in the same way that everyone went mental over it.
Speaker 1: No, I've never watched a single episode of it. No, I sounded like one of those people. Then, I've never watched a single episode of it. That I'm so proud of myself. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I held out until about series five and then I watched it.
Speaker 1: Yes, it was all right, yeah, fair enough, I guess part of the inspiration for this whole episode is because it was it was quite a cultural thing that even though I have never watched an episode, but I know that the fandom was widely disappointed with the finale.
Speaker 2: Massively yeah, and yeah, I was one of the Okay, yeah, I wasn't massively keen on it. It was very strange finale it, considering it was such a massive phenomenon and like making presumably an absolute fortune for Sky or HBO whoever. The last series felt really rushed, I think was the main issue, right, and like, I wouldn't have been as against how it ended if it had had another five or six episodes to get to that point and it made more logical sense. But it very much felt like they got to an episode or two before the end and went, oh shit, we've got to wrap this up now. Oh okay, right, this happens, that happens, that apps done. Yeah, And it didn't logically build to it in the same way that it should have, which is weird considering how big it was. I can't imagine that HBO would have said, Nah, you've not got any more episodes, No, do you want to keep spinning it? Out fine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, Yeah, it's just endings are so hard, aren't they. And also I was thinking, like, for a show that runs for so long like that, it just add to this thing we were saying about it gives you the fans more time with it in their heads and talking to each other. Yeah, Like if you just if it's just a one season thing and it's it's already been made and it's done, and then it airs like you've got till the end of that season and it's already been done, you don't have as much time to sort of think about, oh, it would be good if this happened and that happened. Whereas when it runs for years and years, you know, you've got all this sort of expectation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know how you end them well, no, in a way.
Speaker 1: Can you think of an example of a show that's done it really well?
Speaker 2: No? Not really. The other commonly quoted one is Lost, which I think ends well. But and this sounds so like condescending that if you don't think it ended well, you probably didn't really get it. I knew you were going to say that, which is such a dickish thing to say, but it's so true.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I haven't watched it, but it's another one of those such a sort of culturally prominent things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it ended reasonably well okay personally, but I first watch I hated it.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: It was only on the second watch when I watched it like series one to six back to back, okay, rather than waiting a year year and a half between them.
Speaker 1: So when your first watch, you were one of those thickets. I didn't understand it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then most people wrote it off and never watched it again, I say, whereas a few years later I went back to it. Yeah, yeah, I love it now I'm rewatching it at the moment with my housemates, so oh good. We'll see what he thinks at the end.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I was toying with watching it at one point. I was like, that seems like a big commitment and it is something that is widely panned as like it didn't didn't end well, is there? What is it worth?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I get into it, but yeah, their biggest problem for me it feels like it was a show that was designed to be about three series, and the studio went, this is doing really well, make it.
Speaker 1: Six oh yeah, and.
Speaker 2: They padded it and padded it and padded it and padded it. Yeah, like those whole episodes that are rotterly pointless. Oh yeah, and it was back in the day of twenty fourish twenty five ish episode series. Yeah, and then there was a big like one of those right strike things that happened. And yeah, from series four onwards it's cut down to about thirteen ish okay, and it's so much better.
Speaker 1: For it, oh yeah, slimmed down.
Speaker 2: But yeah, it still should have ended a lot earlier than it did, oh dear. And then they had to throw in so many weird ideas to keep it going, which I think what kind of hurt it a lot. But watch it. It's great. Maybe one day at least watch the first series.
Speaker 1: The first is great, okay, but also like the American thing as well, where they have you know, writer's rooms, and it's a huge collaboration. I think sometimes that can be a bit of a too many cooks situation.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then over here we've got more of the sort of you know, the singular show runner model. Yeah, and that that I think is maybe more, is maybe stronger, I don't know. Sometimes, Yeah, I guess you get it varies.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can get pros and cons. Like I said earlier, the wisdoms of crowds thing. If you have a group, why you know, a big writers room, they can come up with a really clever solution.
Speaker 1: To something that's true.
Speaker 2: But equally, like you said, too many cooks and it just you lose track of what's going on.
Speaker 1: Then oh, you've got a big writer's room. But then there's one like Headhuncho and they don't listen to anyone's ideas.
Speaker 2: So yeah, people's motivations get like characters, sorry, motivations get lost because people read them differently and it feels less believable. I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what can undrum m hm AnyWho. We've covered about two minutes of this episode, so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's in blood recently even turned up yet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so he assaulted someone, Yeah, we find out. Yeah, there's a ring of his intercom and it's this Simon chap.
Speaker 2: Reese always looks creepy in and monitor. He always looks really creepy and a monitor. I'm sure it's happened several times, and it happens once in the last series as well.
Speaker 1: He's a great character, Simon. He's weird, Yeah, creepy and kind of scared.
Speaker 2: Hm, you just don't know what he's going to do at any moment.
Speaker 1: No, but he's so he's so clever as well at the manipulation.
Speaker 2: So invested, Like how long has he been planning this?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, Like he knows exactly what to say at any given moment, just to make things to play on Spencer's mind.
Speaker 2: It's been exactly how he wants it to work.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like even right at the beginning when he's you know, Spencer's trying to ignore him and like he wants to pretend he's not there, and then he just says about making a statement to the police. He's like, maybe I'll just go and do that, And then immediately that that makes him say, no, no, come on up. Yeah, he knows exactly what buttons to push. Yeah he's amazing.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah he's a clever guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah an asshole, but.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh yeah, I do not don his actions.
Speaker 1: And again, I know we say this many episodes, but I really really felt this one was a play like needs to be on the stage.
Speaker 2: I was going to say that, yeah totally. Was it more fact that said, you know you've written a good episode when you think, oh, there's a film idea gone, Yeah, this would work so well as a player or a film or something like a bigger thing.
Speaker 1: Then yeah, but even you know, it's a very small cast and it is just that one location that I could totally see this on the stage.
Speaker 2: Like yeah, it'd be p yeah, perfect.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So Simon tells him that he basically he filmed this incident with another fan yeah, called Gavin.
Speaker 2: At this point, Spencer only thinks he's hurt him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, he only thinks he's hurt him. But then Simon just casually drops that, oh he's dead.
Speaker 2: So casually, yeah, I think you're pressed charges he's dead. Oh okay, yeah, poor Spencer at this point, like it's that thing that you sort of feel like you might lose your temper for two seconds and that's your life over just because of something you did by mistake. Yeah, what must be going through Spencer's mind at that point. It doesn't really take much for Simon to really skew him in the direction he wants him to go.
Speaker 1: I mean, even when he thinks it's just he's just assaulted it, h that's bad enough. The level of panic that he has about oh god, this is probably ruined my career. Yeah, to then realize actually he's dead. Crazy.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Do you find it a bit of a stretch though, that he thinks that Simon's phone will be the only evidence. When he's in apparently the center of London, there'll have been like two hundred and seven CCTV cameras point at that spot.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Maybe it was a dark alley.
Speaker 2: I mean it was near embankment. I don't imagine his own one. There's going to be a camera every two inches in that area.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Oh well, and helpfully Simon has got rid of the body.
Speaker 2: I saw it. It's fine, You're good.
Speaker 1: Because he's his number one fan.
Speaker 2: Do anything for him.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So weird, isn't it? Like I said earlier, this parasocial thing. He talks to him straight away, talks to him like he's known him all his life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's so weird, like when someone knows you but you have no idea about anything about them. Yeah, he's so uncomfortable for Spencer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the ownership as a fan, like the ownership over the work. When he says about is this the award that we won? Yeah, what do you mean we like?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't remember you filming anything proofreading my script.
Speaker 1: So yeah, although sports people are the same, Like when my mum's like, oh, you know we won against man you last night, did you? I didn't know you won.
Speaker 2: The pitch, let's say that to my mum as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean he's a very unlikeable I think.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't think Spence is a particularly likable character. I think Simon is just so creepily unlikeable.
Speaker 2: No that's not the best, but yeah, Simon is weird.
Speaker 1: Thing is you can like, yeah, Spencer is not very nice, but he is in a very high stress situation, and you can you can understand, like when he's being treated like this by somebod who doesn't know, like yeah, you can understand him and pissed.
Speaker 2: Off, like yeah he's been blackmailed like oh yeah, and presumably he's been drinking as well, so he's not going to be exactly fully there, like he's going to be saying what he thinks rather than you're not going to be polite about it. M M. Circumventing. It's a fantastic podcast, Yeah, very clever. Is there some team somewhere that's just churning out pun names for stuff? Probably like This is great. It's like whenever you see a coffee shop in a show, and it's always like has been or been there, done that or whatever. If they're not some clever pun i'd feel like someone's wasted the time.
Speaker 1: Yes, you mentioned it earlier, but just that fantastic moment of I have a podcast. Of course you fucking do.
Speaker 2: It's almost like I can imagine them. I love both of these guys, but I'm a little bit scared of Reese and I can imagine like having that exact response then yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like if you met him at stage door and you said, I'll actually do a podcast about your work. Oh great, Right, what's it called a listen.
Speaker 2: Queue if you don't have a podcast.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just I just love the dynamic and the sort of the power play where like Spencer's trying to get rid of him, like you know, I'll book you a taxi and all that. Yeah, and then again he didn't knows exactly what to say. It's like, oh, I hope the police don't question me. I'm not very good under pressure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's so good, But.
Speaker 1: Then it also shifts a bit, and you think because he tells him to go and go into the other room or whatever, and he, you know, slides the chain on the door, and it's like he looks a bit sinister, and you think, oh, actually, is this manipulation getting him in trouble? And he's he's in danger. What's what's s Spencer going to do to him?
Speaker 2: Yeah, this isn't ton of mine. He very easily could have killed him right then. The whole ex it could have been covering it up or whatever. But yeah, Simon's got a great way with people and has totally chose to use these powers for evil.
Speaker 1: Yes, he's a weezy little ship. So he stays the night m M.
Speaker 2: Because the taxi back to sometimes would be quite expensive.
Speaker 1: It would be I imagine, Yes, it would be a lot.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's at least five hours of driving. It's a long old way. But E's happy because he gets to stay in the spare room with the head of facts. Yeah, and the way he's like, oh, the fans will wet themselves over this or whatever. It's like I fully expected Spencer to be like, you're not telling the fans about this?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know exactly, Yeah, but he's like yeah, yeah, go along with it. But yeah, he's got such a glow of like I'm special, I get to stay the night at Spencer a Guire's house.
Speaker 2: His plans working.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's I don't know, it's so cringey. M So next morning, yep, we find out his goal what he wants.
Speaker 2: We'll have an ultimate finale. Please get on that straight away. I don't going back to Game of Thrones. That was a big thing at the time. People want Game of Thrones that there was like people putting with petitions and stuff for them to refilm it.
Speaker 1: I heard about this that apparently there was a go fundme so like trying. You know, I don't know what they thought was going to happen.
Speaker 2: No, I don't know either, but yeah, there definitely was m It's like, what they're going to do get everyone back together, like all these sets will be locked to bits, Like how how do you really think this is going to work? But it was so hated that it almost sort of started to make sense that it could happen. Yeah, obviously I never believed it would, but yeah, at what point does something have to be that hated that they would do it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's weird because yeah, they would never it would be an omission that they were wrong essentially, and you know they're never going to do that.
Speaker 2: The similar thing with Stranger Things recently when that ended.
Speaker 1: Oh yes I heard about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but everyone was like it wasn't a bad ending spoilers if you a Strange of Things fan and had watched it, But it was very much like if you'd put a gun to someone's head and said, how end this like the most straightforward way you can? That would be kind of how it ends. Like it's not it's not particularly clever, it just sort of ends how you might expect it would.
Speaker 1: Well, that's that's better than something.
Speaker 2: It's not bad. Yeah, it's just not what people maybe hoped it would be.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I'd rather a straightforward, yeah that works ending rather than you know, one that goes completely off the boy. Yeah.
Speaker 2: But then everyone was like afterwards saying that they thought it was so obviously like so straightforward and boring.
Speaker 1: They thought it was going to be a secret finale, didn't they.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but they thought that this was all like a dream and like yeah, and people had themselves so convinced over it, like part of me almost wants someone to do that. How cool would that be if just out of the Blue, they drop a new episode that was you weren't expecting. Yeah, that says that, yeah, everything you watch was wrong, Like this is the real ending. But to do that, you've got to be so confident that what you're ending, that your real ending.
Speaker 1: Is actually good is yeah, it's worse.
Speaker 2: So your real ending is not that great, but it's even worse. But as of recording, there isn't a secret episode that's dropped.
Speaker 1: Of course not so yes, so he wants Spencer to write a new finale. It's a serious seven M and we get all this back and forth about things that are thought of in the fan and like the two heterosexual men that the fans ship yep, which is hilarious. That happens all the time.
Speaker 2: All the time. Sometimes you feel like it's intentional, and sometime times is just the fans finding anything.
Speaker 1: That's the thing. Yeah, Like sometimes it's it's kind of arguable, mm hmm. Like I know in the Sherlock fandom, there was a huge I mean there's lots in Sherlock, but like mainly Sherlock and John people were like, oh, they have such a chemistry and blah blah blah. And I know that Martin Freeman and Benedict cumberbat Is, both quite serious actors that take themselves quite seriously, got quite pissed off with it, and we're like, you know, I remember them being interviewed once or a panel or something, and Benedict cumberback to being like, it's just quite frustrating when it goes against what you're trying to do as an actor, and Stephen Moffat sitting next to him sort of trying to say, shut up, you know, don't puss them off.
Speaker 2: We need these fans.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they can write what they want on Reddit and make all the fan fictions they want exactly, but we need them. Yeah. That was another one, wasn't it? Sherlock? That ended on what everyone thought was going to be, that there was a secret another episode coming.
Speaker 1: Oh I don't remember. I remember the finale, and I remember it being a lot of people disappointed.
Speaker 2: So many people hated it that they were certain that it was intentionally done badly, which must be the most galling thing to not only people don't like it, but people think you've intentionally made it. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh, come on, stop pulling our legs. That wasn't really what you're delivering as the ending.
Speaker 2: That was really the best I could manage.
Speaker 1: Sorry, yeah, good one. Stephen pull the other one.
Speaker 2: At the press night, feeling like, guys, are you free next week to film another end?
Speaker 1: And so yeah, so he plays his his chump card keeps coming back to he's got this footage that Spencer thought deleting off the phone meant that it was gone forever.
Speaker 2: Bless him. So yeah, fall on blackmail territory, and it's gotten proper creepy, like he stole his phone. He's arranged a meeting with the agent for like now he's apparently got he's his pa now. Yes, it's all escalated very quickly.
Speaker 1: I was going to say, I'm surprised that the agent went along with it, but I suppose he could have just pretended, you know, he's hired me as PA or whatever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the agent's an interesting character, Loretta lamb. Yeah, I find it weird if an agent doesn't actually like the thing that you make, like that your main work. Yes, I could understand it if like maybe she'd liked his she'd like this, but she'd not liked his second project he'd come on to. But yeah, his main thing that he's known for.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well I mean he talks about years of experience in the industry. I'm assuming maybe she liked something he'd worked on previously. Yeah, and then this thing that happened to be really successful. She wasn't keen on herself, but I suppose, but it is. It is a funny moment when she says, oh, I haven't seen it, Darling leaves me cold. All that dungeons and dragons. Yeah, she's great though that. She's so like showbiz Darling.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, Darling, Darling. Yeah, she's well happy. Yeah. I guess work for him is probably drying up a little bit because he didn't do so well. She's probably thinking we can redeem this. I won't lose maybe my biggest client or whatever. Yeah. Yeah, she's all on board. Oh, she doesn't really know what it is, but she knows it was bad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she knows the reaction was bad. Yeah. I just like how Simon's trying to sort of excite her about the plot. She just doesn't give a shit. No, I guess who lit the flame of whatever it was. I don't know, Darling.
Speaker 2: Yeah, better than who did the last time.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Oh, is this the scene where he says about characters doing things they should have done in the first place. Yeah, really passive, aggressively.
Speaker 2: It just escalates so quickly, and Spencer's in the middle of this, going what were apparently we're announcing something that I only heard about twenty minutes ago, Like, yeah, I know, he thinks he's killed someone. Obviously that's bad. But the grip he's lost on his entire life in the space of about twelve hours is crazy, insane, And he's not won the award. But we didn't expect it.
Speaker 1: Darling, No, no, what.
Speaker 2: Don't matter unless they're my clients.
Speaker 1: Yes, in which case it was absolutely the right decision. It's just very scary, Like so you do feel sorry for Spencer, even though he's not that likable a lot of the time. He's in a horrible situation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, obvious he's not done a good thing, but it's not like he's intentionally murdered someone, like, oh, he's just snapped and presumably pushed him or whatever, and he's fallen awkwardly like exactly, yeah, as far as he knows, and it was it.
Speaker 1: Was set up obviously to provoke him, because you know, supposedly Gavin attacked or not attacked him, but touched him first in.
Speaker 2: Some way, and we've seen how manipula Simon is, like people have engineered this situation. Jumping ahead a bit, but yeah.
Speaker 1: So he's just he has him in the palm of his hand. Now he can just make him do whatever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and even when Spencer's trying to get out of it, he's like just sort of waving the phone under his chin, like I can ruin all of this for you, Like, yeah, yeah, Simon is disgustingly sleazily awful.
Speaker 1: And oh yeah, I feel this is why I should mention. So the book that I've just finished, I've been reading Stephen King's Misery yep, which I've been wanting to read for a while, and I really enjoyed it.
Speaker 2: Good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, much better than The Shining in my opinion, right, possibly because it's so sort of self contained and it's like quite a small cast obviously characters.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's quite.
Speaker 1: Inside Number nine actually when you think about it, Yeah, you know, one location pretty much. But yeah, like I'm having just finished that book and watching this episode, I kept thinking of it just kind of like you know, in the book Misery, she she claims to be his number one fan, and she's she's got all this power over him because he's lost the use of his legs. Yeah, and she's just like, you know, forcing him to change the ending of a book that she didn't like, like to bring character back that died. It's very similar.
Speaker 2: Actually, yeah, I don't I've not read it and I've not seen the film, but that I was quite struck. How what I knew?
Speaker 1: I plan to watch the film.
Speaker 2: The film's meant to be really good, I think, but then everyone goes on says how great the shining is so well maybe and I'm not such a fan.
Speaker 1: Yes, I did read about I mean no spoilers for I won't go to spoilers, but I did read about one thing that they changed for the film, the Misery, which seems a bit disappointing, but I'm sure they had their reasons. But apparently Kathy Bates won an Oscar for it, So yeah, I think she should be good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what made her a big name, isn't it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that character of Annie Wilks was just so fascinating and like delicious to read, like because she is in set she's absolutely insane. Yeah, and yeah, I got a lot of vibes of that from Simon in this.
Speaker 2: I never heard any like them say that it was intentionally based on it, But no, hard to imagine it isn't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, influenced, I would imagine. Yeah, it's just having having that much power. I mean, it's never a good thing, is it having that much power over somebody?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what the execs are for the studio.
Speaker 1: So he makes him do his podcast. I love that bit about do you have any idea how many times a week I asked to do podcasts? And I have great pleasure in saying no to every single one.
Speaker 2: You must get inundated with it, Oh yeah, all these people and effectively like it's like a job interview, Like you're having to be on Like it's not like you can just casually do a thing, Like if you say something, it's going to be taking out of context and all sorts of things are going to get said.
Speaker 1: And yeah, it's it's not a casual thing when you're in the public eye.
Speaker 2: Should we get recent Stephen?
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, funny you just say that I sent an email the other day. Did you know I was going to going to joke? And so I've got a reply back saying I take pleasure and saying no, it would be quite an honor, actually, wouldn't it.
Speaker 2: I've dissed Hold too many times to.
Speaker 1: To well, I'm sure he feels the same. So yeah, I quite enjoy the podcast scene because again, it's so uncomfortable, like the way he's is. I mean, you know, if you get a guest on a podcast, then it's a guest of that caliber, like you kind of want to be nice.
Speaker 2: Yes, sir, No, so three bass and not.
Speaker 1: Just sort of like reading them all the terrible reviews and yeah, it's so awful, it's so painful, and he just has to go along with it all. Hmmm when he says to him about how does it feel hearing all those because presumably didn't set it out to make a bad episod TV. No, of course I didn't. Oh my god. I mean there are a lot of people like this in online fandom who probably would say those things.
Speaker 2: And that's half the reason why everyone will say no to doing podcasts, because they're like, once you've said yes and you're on it, like, then what do you do when they start asking you weird questions?
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's no sort of control for you, is there.
Speaker 2: No, it's not like you're going on Graham Norton, like, and you know that the kind of thing they're going to ask you. M h like even the questions might be vetting in advance or whatever. You can say, don't ask me about X, Y and Z like you do some random person's podcast. Yeah, it's very who knows what's going to happens, very ad hoc. Yeah, I hope, I hope.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is obviously like a caricature. M yeah, I hope we don't come across like that.
Speaker 2: God, I hope not.
Speaker 1: I don't think so.
Speaker 2: I like to think we're positive as much as we can be, and like always constructively positive, constructive criticism rather than actual just outright I hate the thing.
Speaker 1: Yes, well, right in, and let us know. The first person to tweet us, we'll get a knife degree badge in a word search, a cryptic crossword. I love that it's a word search as well. That's so shit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, dear, So this is the point where you get another trope of casting nobody's as extras or background characters or whatever in something because they want a competition characters. Yeah, or in this case, actually yeah, they go to quite a big character. I assume this was parodying again Game of Thrones when they had like they had ed sheering randomly in a scene. Yeah, he plays like a is he guard and he ends up singing a song and yeah, it's it's a bit weird. So I'm guessing that's what they're sort of joking about here. Okay, but again, isn't it isn't a random like it is a person but in the industry in a way, but they're not an actor.
Speaker 1: But I'm like, who are all these listeners that he has for this podcast, because apparently eighty seven percent of them are voted that he should play this role.
Speaker 2: Yeah, is he is?
Speaker 1: That just him? With like loads of different accounts.
Speaker 2: He's just wrote that it's just it's just a word docular.
Speaker 1: That's a PowerPoint.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just a PowerPoint slide. Show me your figures, like I want to see the lugs.
Speaker 1: Yeah. But he's it's like he's got no self awareness at all of how awkward is and that he's just coming across like, you know, writing if you think I should audition for the part, Like yeah, why would you say that?
Speaker 2: And even like Spencer's opening question, you know, he talks about how you know this was my thing and now it's up for any want to pull in any direction they want. And Simon's like, yep, exactly, Like he doesn't make any bones about sort of hiding what he's doing.
Speaker 1: No, I think I guess part of what this episode is doing is looking at like, you know, when you've got consumers of a thing that by and large don't understand what goes into making something, and they just and you know, they sort of armchair experts. Yeah, like we are on this podcast, I suppose.
Speaker 2: But yeah, it's like that tweet you see whenever whenever the's an election comes around and it's like, oh, the comments section is about to terms to the House of Comments. Yeah, everyone suddenly becomes an expert.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but there's a way of doing it sensitively, which I like to think we try and do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I like to think we do.
Speaker 1: Whereas sensitive is completely not what Simon is completely insensitive and just ham fisted.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're also treated.
Speaker 1: To a bit of Simon's quote unquote acting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which kind of is back again.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I love that that's what he thinks acting is. You've got this nabbing.
Speaker 2: I'm just talk angry. But yeah, he can do what he wants at this point.
Speaker 1: Really, that's the thing he has become king if it's his own little world or Queen Beets described later.
Speaker 2: And this is the other thing that we never get to see, Like what the reaction to this new final episode? I know, I suppose we do. Don't we get some more series? But could have equally been just as terrible. That would have been interesting.
Speaker 1: Only one person's idea, really if yeah, two people maybe.
Speaker 2: But two people like what what Simon? How Simond have reacted if the fan base hated his finale as well, because they're going to yeah, yeah, by comparison, they might like it more. So I suppose it looks good, but yeah, go back to the question of how you make it good. It reminds me of a quote from Sheldon in Big Bang Theory Races. Why can't they just do like VI did in Heroes and slowly gradually reduce the quality series by series until are begging for it to end.
Speaker 1: That's a great line.
Speaker 2: So that is the fair way to do it, intentionally, make no more care about you.
Speaker 1: For exactly Yeah, many shares could take a leaf out of that book. So is this where we get the montage of him working on it and everything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, bowling up paper, throwing it off screen. Do we get the idea that at this point they're sort of Spencer's getting a bit on board with it, like, maybe, Begod, you need to start with him. Maybe he's actually getting a little bit into it.
Speaker 1: Maybe. I mean I felt like it was simply because he had to to be honest.
Speaker 2: Well, maybe I don't.
Speaker 1: Think he's ever he's ever particularly thrilled about it, because he does say later about, you know, as if I would revisit my own work and whatever it is.
Speaker 2: He says the difference between wanting to not wanting to revisit it, though, and being forced to and now you're in it, trying to make it the best it can be.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe I didn't get the impression that he was at all at any point into it.
Speaker 2: But I don't think he's into it, but that he's you know, doing what he can, Okay, because at the end of the day, his name's gonna be honest.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, let's try and make a best of.
Speaker 2: A bad situation. Yeah, he's got a final draft that he's sending over to the writer, so it's actually happening. And then the ship hits the fan.
Speaker 1: Yes, so I put him. I put him big capsule letters, twist.
Speaker 2: One, yes, damn dune, Damn Gavin isn't dead so little nick my habit. Yeah, he's so sweet, isn't he? With his little accent?
Speaker 1: I added question mark that I'm not sure why why the Scottish accent? Why not just use your your normal voice, because there's certain lines It does really feel like it's a bit of a strug. Oh but yeah, no, he's lovely.
Speaker 2: He's adorable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So it turns out it was the whole thing was staged so that they could get access to him.
Speaker 2: And Gavin would eventually get access, and he's not been happy that he's been cut out of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. They get very very fussy with each other, very like, you know, you know, I'd like some time with mister maguire and you know, you need yourself, queen Bee the fandom.
Speaker 2: I can just imagine what Spencer's saying in the background to all these people in the forums and stuff, like you will be selling it all like, oh, Spencer's my best friend. Now, look at what we're doing together and all this. Oh god, Yeah, it would be unbearable.
Speaker 1: Posting photos on Instagram like selfies together.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely unbearable. So Gavin's had enough and he wants his ship signed with his special silver pen.
Speaker 1: And so Simon. It seems that Simon is very angry with Gavin for kind of ruining the plan and that he's been found out. Yeah, there's a rather unsavory thing about photoshopped pictures, yeah, which which kind of takes on more relevance later as well. Yeah, so it's very deliberately placed there to sort of so the seed that Simon has more, it's more than just a sort of love for his creativity. It's you know, the man himself. But yeah, it's a bit weird Reese's reaction when he's like, you know that they were d m T in private, not for a public forum, as if that makes it okay, just weird.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, spicky. Yeah, all comes to head with Checkovs yeah seeded a bit earlier on and stabs him with an empty air war.
Speaker 1: Yes, I love that. How quite early in the episode he just says, oh you could well, he says, you could bash someone's brains out with this, but you know you can't say that in side number nine episode and then not not expected to murder someone with it later.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I should clarify it's an NTA trophy, not an NTA award, because an NTA award is a tautology. It is. Well I realized once I said it, and then you carried on talking. I was like, no, that your left.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can't let that go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, quite right, even my notes I've got NTA award and halfway through writing award, by.
Speaker 1: The way, apparently originally wanted it to be an em yes, because apparently they're particularly spiky.
Speaker 2: They are. Have you seen one? No, they do look very much like a murder weapon.
Speaker 1: Well there we go.
Speaker 2: They're like an angel sort of statue, but its wings are like really sharp, ah pointed straight up makes sense And yeah, but no the emmy said no.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so yeah NTA it.
Speaker 2: Was who apparently don't care.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh yeah with one of our awards. Fine, why not.
Speaker 2: I'd love to know what their order of like then we'd have gone to bafter and then we'd have gone to like our YouTube for you a trophy or whatever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they were talking about this on the podcast and they were saying, you know, they didn't even think about bafter because it just it does. They wanted it to be a stabbing, not a bludgeting. Yeah, and so they needed something point makes sense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and when they all like someone's actual trophies that were on the crew or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the producer Adam Tandy, I think, yeah, just casually brings in all his like Nevill Griffin in misdirection. Yeah, yeah, put them out on the side.
Speaker 2: That must be an awkward conversation, like we need to have a load of trophies and you just sat there in the corner going do it look like a dick if I say I've got shiploads of yeah, I could save them a fortune of having to hire a load of things. Yeah. Poor Spencer at this point he must have been like, oh it's oh no, it isn't anymore.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what a roller coaster.
Speaker 2: He had a brief five minutes it was safe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it really is a roller coaster, isn't it.
Speaker 2: That doesn't slow down? So yeah, this bit I find so uncomfortable. Oh very I'd forgotten how uncomfortable it was until I rewatched this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's horrible because Spencer looks so defeated and powerless, and it's it's just very Yeah.
Speaker 2: Simon sort of drags him into the bedroom.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he says, I just want us to be together. It's punctuated by the quite amusing turning the head away so that he's.
Speaker 2: Not looking at it, isn't looking at us.
Speaker 1: We don't want him looking at a stew we. I was on this when I was watching this the second time, making notes. I was trying to sort of watch very carefully what exactly what Reese's character does. All he really does is invite him to lie down, and then I think he possibly strokes him slightly or something. But the idea obviously is that it seems like he's trying to blackmail him into.
Speaker 2: Which the naked photos makes more.
Speaker 1: Sense now exactly exactly.
Speaker 2: These are things that I think we said earlier what you would do in a play like I think you could flesh out, expand that more, that more and make it a little bit more, a little bit less jarring when it happens at the end.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it does. It does come suddenly very quickly. Yeah, let's not go and then yeah, Spencer suddenly suffocates with a pillow.
Speaker 2: If it goes on for a very long time.
Speaker 1: It's a great shot, isn't It's just that's one one shot and it's just like actually quite realistic.
Speaker 2: Well, didn't re say that he felt like he was actually going to kill him? Yeah?
Speaker 1: There was. I mean I'm not sure how serious they were, but that he said there was a moment when he slightly lost control and wasn't a wouldn't wouldn't have been able to save himself if you needed it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you think you'd have a certain tap on the shoulder signal, I like to hope, but yeah, you can get it. Yeah, don't condone it. No, I understand that the situation.
Speaker 1: I completely understand it. Like I spent I spent the whole of misery reading it, thinking, well, he's got a killer, He's got a killer. How's he going to get out of this? He's got a killer? Like, because you would like in that situation, like what else could you do? Yeah, for legal reasons, Yeah, I don't condone that.
Speaker 2: But yeah, he just goes for it. Timon is no more. There's wanky little glasses.
Speaker 1: And the horrible bit of blood come out his nose.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because it is like you say, all one cut of that. Yeah, and Reese is wearing the glasses like how he he must have had to knock them off his face just before, because otherwise Steve is just pushing these glasses into his face.
Speaker 1: Oh that's true.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which, and he probably goes for it and he has to make it look real. Yeah, yeah, that could do a lot of damage. Yeah, never mind, So getting him like you could have blinded him more.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm sure they worked the logistics of that out.
Speaker 2: I hope. So I assume you must knock them to the side when you can't see it or whatever.
Speaker 1: But yes, then we get another big twist.
Speaker 2: Kevin ain't dead again again, So.
Speaker 1: I say another twist. It's actually basically the same twist again.
Speaker 2: Twist one was good, I'll do it again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And it's a bit like, you know, first from Spencer's point of view, it's like that fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me. Thing. It's like, wow, they've just done the same thing and fooled you again with the same thing, fooling.
Speaker 2: You the second time. Doctor, that's a privilege.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, the same way. But yeah, I find this a bit confusing now because I'm like, yeah, this is my gripe. Yeah, the intention, what was the intention?
Speaker 2: Because so they explain it that this was all Simon's audition for the Baron play this role of the Baron. Yes, yeah, which I get makes sense. I don't get why it had to be Gavin, Like, it doesn't make any sense because he's given up all of his leverage before he's got anything.
Speaker 1: He wouldn't have wanted. He wouldn't have wanted Gavin to come up.
Speaker 2: No, I couldn't. I could understand Hi wanting to do all of this, and like if he'd got another fan, like, surely he knows enough people that someone would have agreed to do this. Yeah, that's true, And I know, I know it works nicely for us to get the reveal of Gavin still being alive.
Speaker 1: Because yeah, because it once you once you know the full twist, it means that that whole argument they had about oh, you've ruined everything was all fake. Yeah, which it turns out that Simon is a much better actor than we thought then, because that was you know, that was very convincing.
Speaker 2: Yes, but surely you would only do all of that if you genuinely believe that Spencer was on side now.
Speaker 1: Exactly, so maybe maybe he has come around, or maybe at least Simon thinks he has.
Speaker 2: But during that whole thing. Spencer's all called the agent, get this canceled. Why do you think I would ever do this? This isn't nonsense? I hate this. Yeah, Like, surely Simon would know that this isn't isn't working. I don't know, and we'll just spun it some other I don't know. It just seems a weird plan.
Speaker 1: Yes, it does.
Speaker 2: That sort of throws away all of his leverage for nothing.
Speaker 1: Hmmm.
Speaker 2: And this is just Is it just that he's getting too cocky?
Speaker 1: I guess, yeah, possibly, or.
Speaker 2: Maybe he's gotten the point of thinking that like that Spencer's so undry, is dumb, and that he thinks Simon's so crazy that he'll go along with anything, because who knows what Simon's going to do if you say no, hmm.
Speaker 1: I think for me, I think it's it comes down to that the sort of double twist. It feels like it's written for the benefit of the audience, so that we get the and then we get the second. But but it doesn't quite make sense. No, like it does. I don't. I don't believe that Simon would go through that whole you know, that whole spiel.
Speaker 2: Yeah, be one thing, if he'd if he had already got a contract signed and then he could still pretend to be annoyed that he's you know, cause problems and all this sort of stuff, and then done the plan exactly how he planned it to be.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: But yeah, when he actually hasn't got anything signed and it could all fall through, it's an odd choice.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And also the fact that he, you know, supposedly this is an audition for the baron, so he can show that he can do the he can do the manipulation, and he can do the romance or whatever. But you know, why does why does he have to make it so sort of relatable to the real situation, Like why does he have to say that, oh, I'm going to stab Gavin and that means that I can still blackmail you and then you know, I'm going to seduce you in this bedroom? Why why why does have to be like that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, again, like you said, for the for the audience's benefit, more so.
Speaker 1: Because we still think that it's real at that point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, everything up to that bit, it's fantastic. Yeah, it really works well for me, and it's just it's just a bit weird at the end. Kind of summarizes their problem. Well, yeah, is difficult to do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that maybe that was deliberate. Then maybe it is better.
Speaker 2: I don't think it's ship.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, no, it's just a bit odd.
Speaker 2: Maybe it's not quite in character.
Speaker 1: It's one of those where on a first watch, I think it's very effective and you think, oh wow, that was so good, but when you do kind of revisit it and you think about it a bit more, it's slightly unravels.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I feel it's it's more our problem than anything, because we overthink these things. Yeah, for most people it works really well. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So yeah, he's now actually for real killed someone.
Speaker 2: It's not Gavin for once.
Speaker 1: He's been tricked into it essentially, and so all you can think to do is to kill the other person.
Speaker 2: Gavin got to die for real?
Speaker 1: M hm.
Speaker 2: How How how he's then got rid of two bodies? Well, like in the countryside, I couldn't stand it central London, Yeah, from a flat Yeah.
Speaker 1: I don't know, no, but people probably do it.
Speaker 2: Well, Yeah, time jump of a bit. Yes, episodes or good. It was a success, got another two series, and in being asked for quote about the whole thing, he said he did it for the fans.
Speaker 1: Yes, of course he did.
Speaker 2: I never did address that that. I liked Gavin's whole speech about the fandom, like, yeah, you might hate them, but ultimately, if it weren't for the fans, like who is buying all your merchandise? Who is watching a program? Who is? It is true, ultimately you are making it for the fans.
Speaker 1: It is true.
Speaker 2: They're the ones that are providing the money. Ultimately, as weird as they may be. Sometimes there's also, you.
Speaker 1: Know, there's a line between are you making it for a general audience or are you making it for the real diehard fanatics that go weird about it?
Speaker 2: You know, and without wanting to generalize the likes of people that are watching something called the Ninth Circle are probably the more fanatical side. Well yeah, they're probably going to be the weird obsessives.
Speaker 1: Although you say that Game of Thrones.
Speaker 2: Like very mainstream.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, so I imagine it. I imagine it quite similar, But it could easily have.
Speaker 2: Gone the other way. Yeah. Yeah, so I've just been told he's done it for however long. I guess Spencer's like, well as well, like this, he's already rationalized in his head. He's already sort of had to deal with the mental gymnastics of accepting that he's killed someone, So is it that hard to actually then do it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, he doesn't particularly seem remorseful. No, In fact, he jokes about it, Yeah, for his own amusement.
Speaker 2: But I suppose we don't know how long time jump. It must be quite a while to a film the whole pre post productions happened. Things out probably at least a year later.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So you think after a year after killing someone, you'd be over it and you'd be Jacob why there's a time limit. Yeah, I'm still not. I think overall, I'm on the feeling of he's not likable as a character, even though I think it's possible for him to not be likable, But you also feel sympathy for him, yes, which which I do.
Speaker 2: I mean, no one's other than Gavin. No, one's really very likable in this episode.
Speaker 1: No exactly. I quite like the agent.
Speaker 2: She's quite nice. Yeah, but she's a bit. She just goes along with anything, doesn't she. She's just like, yeah, darling whatever, anything for an easy life.
Speaker 1: Just yeah. I also rather liked the end credits music this week. It just sounds like it would have been the theme tune to the ninth Circle.
Speaker 2: Really they went hard it, didn't they. Someone puts some time into that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, should we give it a rating? It's always interesting what what I write down before we come to recording, and.
Speaker 2: Then I never write anything down.
Speaker 1: Oh, I put a provisional thing down. This is probably Then it often changes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because I yeah, same as in it's not what I think it maybe would have been. But I've never written anything down for it. But the end throws it a bit for me. Yeah, because I remember really liking this one before and then really watching it today the first time, thinking this is really good. I really enjoyed the first eighty percent of the episode, and in the last couple of minutes is a little bit off, but I still really like it. What do I go with? I think a seven? Yeah, I think a seven.
Speaker 1: That's exactly what I've got. Yeah, Originally I was going to say in eight, right, but yeah, it's knocked down a bit. After discussing the ending.
Speaker 2: I was torn seven eight.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, I was a bit confused with the ending, and I think discussing it with you and finding out that it wasn't just me it was it doesn't quite work. Yeah, it's it's a really enjoyable episode.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, it's really.
Speaker 1: Great characters, great performances.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and with something interesting to say, like, yeah, exactly. It is an interesting debate.
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely.
Speaker 2: So did you spot the hair? Well?
Speaker 1: To be honest, I never really even think about it until it gets to this point and I know you're about to ask me, No, I didn't spot it, but I'm assuming it's got to be on the side where all the awards are, Like, surely it would blend in there, it.
Speaker 2: Would make sense. But no Ah, this is one of the ones I did know where it was in advance. It's stuck out I think from the podcast where they talk about you know, they'd say which where it was each week for the previous week. Yeah, and it really stuck out in my head for that. It's next to the head of Faxos when he turns the head round and it because it was filmed when it was he's wearing a little a little face mask to show that it was COVID times. Oh that's sweet, good a tiny little face mask on. That's cute. Okay.
Speaker 1: I thought they were going to fudge it and that imagine it was you know, the golden hair a wall or something.
Speaker 2: It would fit very well on that shelf.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well there we go.
Speaker 2: Did you spot our hair? Dear listeners, and we will tell you where it was.
Speaker 1: Next week we will when we'll be back for lip service.
Speaker 2: We will interesting one. Yes, look forward to that.
Speaker 1: But until then, it's time to close the door on number nine.
Speaker 2: Every leave do you?
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening to the Ninth Degree. If you'd like to get in touch, you can find us on Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok at ninth Degree Pod, or email us at ninth Degree Pod at gmail dot com. You can also leave us a rating or a review wherever you get your podcasts. Bending mm hm