Speaker 1: Friday twenty second, evening barbecue at mine? You about.
Speaker 2: I am not?
Speaker 1: No? Oh all right, no, that's all right, because I just think it would be good good to Right Saturday twenty third, there's a country fair at mine. Morris dancing still awakend.
Speaker 2: I'll be tempted to come back for that, but no, no, I think so.
Speaker 1: Just wife and kids are out. On Sunday the twenty fourth. I've got some blankets and popcorn. Do you want to just sit under there with me and watch Colombo on repeat?
Speaker 2: I'd love to, but I'm not available on my friend?
Speaker 1: What are you up to? Then?
Speaker 3: I am slipping over the channel and playing round and Garross.
Speaker 1: There you go on the screen playing the French Open twenty twenty six, Marcus Willis. I mean, you're just so cool man. So look, I've got loads of big dumb questions. The quick one is this is just a quick chat. We're going to get proper in depth and all that. And obviously we've reviewed the singles competition at the French Open this year already, so we know exactly what's going to happen. You're playing the French Open quick WhatsApp. We had ten days ago. You said, you don't think you're getting in.
Speaker 2: I thought we'd just mess out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there was there a few, a couple of surprises, and at night before the entry, I had myself at fifty seven.
Speaker 2: Well we don't all but a few of us make this and try.
Speaker 3: And work out, well we're going to come basically yeah, okay, that sounds dodgy.
Speaker 1: So it's fifth. You know, I like I like this as nice as the next amount, but clearly not as much as you. So you've got Yeah, you talk about the fifty seven that is I mean you are. There's a bit if you look at the drawer online, there's a big black line with Tanasi Kokhanak is kind of just sneaking in above it, Rejieve Ram and then you and Yaka Paul are third from bottom of there. That means you are in the main drawer. It means you're going to be playing your fourth Grand Slam in a row. How do you find out that you're going to play the French Open.
Speaker 2: It's all done.
Speaker 3: I mean it was Wednesday at noon is when it closed. So yeah, everyone that's going to definitely get in. Everyone top one thirty will enter early, pretty early, and then anything from up until whatever the cut is, you don't really know. So you know, from the morning, from ten to eleven am there are a couple of teams entered, and then you know, from eleven thirty eleven forty.
Speaker 2: Five, that's when traffic starts happening because people don't want to enter too early, and then.
Speaker 3: Other players have enough time to work out what they need to beat and then kind of swap around with whoever it takes to get in. So if you do it with two minutes to go, that's not really enough time for people to completely scrap their plans.
Speaker 2: You know, technically they could, but you know we did.
Speaker 3: I mean, Yakov did ossily open with thirty seconds to spare, So I think we were four minutes before this time because it looked like the guys we thought we're going to sign didn't, and a couple of guys that we thought were going to be above signed behind.
Speaker 2: Like Regieve Ram, for instance, is ranked.
Speaker 3: Fifty in the world, so I thought for sure he'd find someone higher to guarantee himself in. I mean, he did get in the end, but he played with someone outside the top hundred, so Ben Kittay. But yeah, no, no, no, one else that ranking has taken a risk, so I didn't see that coming. I thought Ram would be enter with someone ranked higher. There was a singles team that didn't sign that Will rumoured to be signing, So that's why I put myself at fifty seven on the nose. And then you know Dar Dairy often, you know, I don't think he's missed slam in the last two three years.
Speaker 2: He didn't sign, So.
Speaker 3: Yeah, with about you know, ten seconds to go, I had to look and we were fifty five and I thought, right, you know, we should be okay unless you know someone to sign. The last ten seconds three pairs I thought would be good. And then you know, the list came out, surprised, surprisingly quick. It was done by so six seven pm the same day, whereas Australia was twenty four hours or so.
Speaker 2: So you've got to wait for confirmation.
Speaker 3: So the list disappears, and then you find me on the acceptance list any time up to twenty four.
Speaker 2: Sometimes more historically it's been more before, but.
Speaker 3: So yeah, it's it's it's quite a weird way. You don't know for a while, like factually, but well I don't.
Speaker 1: If you're top fifty, you do okay, So that, as I said, this is just a quick touch in because there's a lot of people invested in the Marcus with this journey. If I'm being honest, what does it mean to you emotionally to be in this Grand Slam?
Speaker 2: Oh golly, I mean.
Speaker 3: I haven't really I've just been kind of letting close people know and looking at flights and airbnbs and trying to get stuff sorted. I hasn't really sunk in yet because you know, I am in the middle of a tournament, so you know, I'm focusing on you know, what time we're getting trans spot tomorrow, what time I'm practicing, and what time I'm handling my rackets and and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: But yeah, it's it's it's just been really crazy. I suppose.
Speaker 3: It's been really crazy, but you know, I've worked really hard. It's it's it's really nice. I mean I didn't think this time last year, you know, when I was about to, you know, go and play the grass season, I didn't think you're going to play you know, four slams in a right. So yeah, it's it's it's really nice. I mean I've Yeah, it's it's not been easy. It really hasn't been easy, So I'm happy.
Speaker 2: I'm happy for people that have kind of supported me and stuck by me as well. It's nice for them. They're really excited.
Speaker 3: So but for me, at the moment, it's it's head down, sort this tournament out. Yeah, it's It's one of those I might feel more excited when I'm there or after it's done, or I look back on it, but at the.
Speaker 2: Moment, it's like, Okay, I've got a match tomorrow.
Speaker 3: I really want to go to Paris and perform well and you know, win as many match as I can. But yeah, no, it's a bit weird, isn't it. It's crazy if you think about it that way, where I was and where I am in quite a short space of time.
Speaker 1: You know, for me as well, I mean, what do I know, never played to anywhere near your level. The what I can say is that if I watch Crystal Palace win an FA Cup, if something happens monumental, even at my level of sport, I actually find it quite emotional, like kind of teary, like a frog in my throat kind of thing. When you're I mean, it's not unexpected that you'd be at the French. But when you work out your list of fifty five, you might be kind of confident that that's going to happen. And then when you get the nudge saying you're in. Is it? Is it a teary moment? Is it a punch in the air moment? Is it a I'm not sure what spinning around on, like how Homer Simpson used to spin round on his head on the floor. Is it that kind of thing? What is it?
Speaker 2: Yesterday?
Speaker 3: Yesterday, we're on the practice cort because we were warming up for my match, so Yak about to do the entry and I quickly checked at you know, fifty eight and fifty nine. But you know, I was hitting balls at that stage. It was quite weird.
Speaker 2: But no, I mean from there, I mean I was.
Speaker 3: I started warming up and eating balls and I was just really happy, you know, just just really happy. And when I'm played a pretty good match, like stress free, just yeah, it's a nice feeling. It's a nice feeling. It's it's strange. It's it's a nice feeling. It's strange. It's you know, you told me years ago i'd be playing for all four flam That's.
Speaker 2: I didn't.
Speaker 3: I didn't honestly didn't think it was possible. I didn't know how how good I was because I've never been this ranking. I've never I was never topped two o nine. I've never really persevered so much in my life with any But it's easier now than it was, you know, when I was playing all those futures and ye sleeping on hammocks and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: It's nicer, but I guess more intense.
Speaker 3: You're playing you first round, you're playing Jebbins and hoh a good pert.
Speaker 2: You don't get to ease your way into anything anymore.
Speaker 3: I'm playing the best players in the world a lot of the time, which is cool in itself, but you don't really have time to enjoy thinking about things that I want to improve as well. So it's very quick. It's very it seems seems like it's going very fast. I want it to slow down a bit so I can appreciate a little more.
Speaker 1: One of the things that we talk about quite a bit is the sacrifice that you make, and people from the outside think it's all private jets and you know, financial advice of someone at Coots and stuff. But hopefully this podcast kind of opened the door on it and peeked him behind a curtain of what a real liferofessional tennis player is. Does this make it worthwhile? And I mean weeks away from the family and the sacrifice of losing your bloody baggage and going to Arizona and losing in the first round missing a volley, there's loads of it's not bad with good, but there's loads of a little bumps in the road when you get into a slam and when you're going to make your French Open debut in your mid thirties. Is all of that justified for you?
Speaker 2: Yeah? There is.
Speaker 3: I kind of felt that, you know, although it's been difficult, and yeah, it's been a bit hectic, and yeah it's it's you.
Speaker 2: Know, for me it is, and I hope for my family is as well, you know, it's it's it's their sacrifice as well.
Speaker 3: It's Yeah, it's been Look, it's.
Speaker 2: Been really hard.
Speaker 3: And playing at the biggest four thrunts in the world back to back is incredible.
Speaker 2: I can't ask as much more. I just want to go and go and play well.
Speaker 3: But again, I'm much better at you're doing my best and if I don't play well, just kind of getting on with it now and keeping my head down, not dwelling on stuff too much, which is good and bad. You know, I kind of like bounce off stuff, and if I do really well, I'm not as happy as I used to be.
Speaker 2: But you know the downside, I.
Speaker 3: Don't get too down on myself anymore, and it's I guess it's a better place to be.
Speaker 2: But yeah, it's it's crazy when you say it like that.
Speaker 3: You know, thirty five years old and I've only now but you know, I retired, I was done. I was never going to hit play another professional shot again at one stage. So it's just all a bit bonkers when I when I go back enough in time, But it's happening, Dave.
Speaker 2: I'm here, I'm gonna.
Speaker 3: Turn up as prepared as I can and and there we go.
Speaker 2: But yeah, it's it's it's happening.
Speaker 1: I don't know, like I'm invested in in this with you, right, and you know it's a chance meeting at a tennis club. That's how we've met each other. And I felt along the way like I remember ten years ago when you the match the Wimbledon, and I remember saying to you, like I know someone who can sort you out something in Belgium? Was it you went and played a tiebreak thing there?
Speaker 2: And I right turns, yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: In Vienna, yeah yeah, And I remember that, oh Vienna, that was it? Yeah, And I remember like saying that, you know this guy for media and whatever. And since then I've been heavily invested in you just as a person, right, I think you race, I think you're a great bloke. And when we start this podcast and we're talking and hopefully it gives people an insight into what you're actually I can you know that you see it just me asking that question to you then and you answering it. I actually felt quite emotional then, man.
Speaker 2: Yeah me too. It's it's strange, isn't it. We go back quite well.
Speaker 1: Even just talking there, right, I got I got something in my eye a little bit, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's just me weird because it's been hard as well, you know, like it's been.
Speaker 2: There's been some really really.
Speaker 3: Tough moments between and it's like, I don't know, I never want to get too carried away or I always want to try and be humble and grateful, and it's it's difficult because yeah, my part.
Speaker 2: Of me wants to scream and shout and be really pumped.
Speaker 3: And then.
Speaker 2: Another part of me is.
Speaker 3: Like, well, you've been given this as well. You know, I've worked hard, but you know I've had luck on my side. We were last into Assie Open, I got to play on Rod Labor.
Speaker 2: It's I mean, I Drew feder a second round at you. I've had some really high luck as well. And yeah, really weird moments, really weird.
Speaker 3: But cool moments. And yeah, yeah, it's it's tough. I've not really thought about it recently. I kind of let that Jenny Now.
Speaker 2: I got in and then we just get on with our day because it's busy. And then yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 3: It's it's it's tough because I want to, you know, let people know, but I don't want to. You know, I've still got to get on my today and my tomorrow and it's hard sometimes, right.
Speaker 1: It's really hard. But you're the coolest person I know, man. When when the when you I text you and said what's happening and you said you're in And we've got a little WhatsApp group for the guys in on this pod and uh and G yeah, and I told I told some people as well at my tennis club. So you're not telling some people, well I tell some people at the and this club because you know they all know you. And yeah, it's it's unreal and this is just a little you know, your in tournament now. So this is a quick chat about it. Next week when we release the podcast, and obviously there'll be podcasting during it like we did for the Aussie Open, we can talk more about the draw, the logistics where you're stay in your practice, hopefully speak to Yakub as well, and the finances like what does it mean for you financially and everything else. So me and speaking for the listeners and the viewers, we're stoked, bro.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: It's yeah, it's rather cool. I'm trying to play it cool right now. This is my is my cool face?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah more than I did, all right? AU what.
Speaker 3: Victor baronco on trombone, Sergeant Major Craig Frederick on.
Speaker 2: The trumpets and the composition the Army Blues worked up down