Speaker 1: Hello, It is Ryan and I was on a flight the other day playing one of my favorite social spin slot games on chumbacasino dot com. I looked over at the person sitting next to me, and you know what they were doing. They were also playing Chumpa Casino. Coincidence, I think not everybody's loving having fun with it. Chumpa Casino's home to hundreds at casino style games. You can play for free anytime, anywhere, even at thirty thousand feet. So sign up now at chumbuck Casino dot com to claim you're free. Welcome bonus. That's Chumbuck Casino dot com and live the Chumba line. No pers necessary, dvoid over if I lost terms conditions eighteen plus.
Speaker 2: Judy was boring.
Speaker 3: Hello.
Speaker 4: Then Judy discovered chumbucasino dot com. It's my little escape. Now Judy is the life of the party. Oh baby Mama is bringing home the bacon who take it easy, Judy, jump the Chumba life.
Speaker 2: That's for everybody.
Speaker 4: So go to chumpacasino dot com and play over one hundred casino style games joined today and playing for free for your chance to redeem some serious prices. Jump Chumpacasino dot com Noprid's necessary boid We're prohibited by on eighteen plus terms and conditioned plice Let's loo.
Speaker 2: You are now listening to True Murder, The most Shocking Killers in True Crime History and the authors that have written about him Gasey, Bundy, Dahmer, The Nightstalker DTK. Every week another fascinating author talking about the most shocking and infamous killers in true crime history. True Murder with your host, journalist and author Dan Zupansky.
Speaker 5: Good evening, This is your host Dan Zupanski for the program True Murder, The most Shocking Killers in True crime History and the authors that have written about them. He was a perfect man, living a perfect life, which made him a perfect killer. Canadian Air Force Colonel Russell Williams commended commanded the largest Canadian Forces base in the country. He had personally piloted prime ministers, dignitaries and members of the British royal family. As one of the most respected and trusted soldiers in the military, he was also a rapist and a murderer. This is a disturbing true account of how one of Canada's highest ranking military officers became one of Canada's most notorious criminals, including his ultimate capture, trial and conviction for a twisted spree of sexual deviancy and two brutal rapes and murders. Camushflage Killer. The Shocking Double Life of Canadian Air Force Colonel Russell Williams is the book that we're going to be profiling this evening with my special guest journalist and author David A.
Speaker 2: Gibb.
Speaker 5: Welcome to the program and thank you to agreeing to this interview. David A. Gibb. Oh, thank you, Dan, thank you very much. Sorry I didn't get a hold of you just before, so I apologize for that. But I want to tell you first off, this is one of the more incredible crimes that has occurred, probably in Canada, but very much so, one of the most unusual and shocking murders ever in the history of true crime, and a wonderful book, by the way, Thank you. Let's start off a little differently than your book and let's get to the character of Russell Williams. Take us back to the early life of Russell Williams where he grew up in Canada, and tell us about his early family life right from the very beginning. Based on your research.
Speaker 3: All right. Well, he came to Canada from from England with his with his parents and he was he was only a few months old at that point, and they moved to a place called the Deep River just outside of Ottawa. And it's a small, very I just it is an antiseptic kind of town. It's much like you'd expect to see on The Stepford Wives or The Truman Show. It was it was created to be a perfect little community for the PhDs that were working at the nearby nuclear power facility back in the nineteen sixties and the earlier. So so it's a very very sanitized community that it just it gives off a very odd aura. And I've known a few people who have actually lived there for some period of time when they could not wait to, as they say in their own words, escape the town. But he stayed there until he was only six years old, and then they moved on after his parents became involved with another couple, the Counterparts. His father became involved with the his best friend's wife and his mother Williams, his mother became involved with later became involved with the uh that woman's husband, her husband's former best friend, and they did a switch through there and Russell will move with his with his brother and his mom down to Toronto. At that point.
Speaker 5: Okay, now, what what would you say that's characterized his his personality growing up? What was from the research that you've done, what was the every indication of what was the type of personality of Russell Williams.
Speaker 3: Well, but by the time he he left Deeve River, he was only he was only in grade one, so not a whole lot to uh to base his character on at that point. But I did speak with a number of former babysitters, former teachers, neighbors, and and they all reported that he was a normal, well adjusted kid who did well in school, who got along with with his elders and his uh for his brother, there there were no signs whatsoever of any of any ominous future. And uh uh the the the the one thing that that did stand out was the fact that there were people, including a former teacher, who said that his his mother back then was ravishing, gorgeous, well figured brunette. And she later said, when she saw pictures of Jessica Lloyd Williams's second murder victim, that she was a dead ringer for what his mother looked like back in those days.
Speaker 5: That's very interesting too.
Speaker 3: But after after they moved to UH to Toronto, he essentially he blended in. He was a wallflower at school, not unusual, not unlike many of us in high school where the kind of guy who just kind of sits on the bench during dances and jokes around with the guys. But Uh wasn't wasn't really socially gregarious and the outgoing, but hardly the type that you'd expect to be a later serial killer. There there were lots of people who had known him back in high school who said that he seemed a little strange and a little unusual, but they no more would have suspected he'd be a serial killer than they suspected he would later be the commander of Canada's largest air force base. So there were no indications during his elementary school years, during his high school years, and even into his university. Here is there was very little in the way of anything bizarre about his character.
Speaker 5: How did he do academically in the elementary school, high school and will wait off for university, But how did he do in general in school? You say, wasn't so gregarious or socially adept will say but a lot of us aren't. I would say, well, how was he academically?
Speaker 3: Academically he was a good achiever, and the former teachers that I've spoken to said that he was. He was very smart, very bright, and very artistic, and he communicated well with his peers and with his teachers. And I also access some reports that had been filed by Children's Aid Society investigator who as part of standard procedure, would come in and observe the family back in those days whenever there was a divorce occurring, and their report on Russell was that he was a very well adjusted, very bright six year old boy, and who showed a lot of love for his brother and his parents, and was a very loving, well adjusted kid. So again, even even for the trained eye, they could not see any pattern of disturbing behavior.
Speaker 5: What was his social life like in terms of dating.
Speaker 3: That there was not a whole lot of dating during his high school years. He had one one woman, or one one young young woman who was his soul made during high school so to speak. They lived on the same street, he actually lived across the street from her. They were in the band together, but he didn't date outside of that relationship, and he was never seen to be socially or publicly affectionate with her. They'd walk hand in hand, but any other contact would be reserved for behind closed doors, and they never were seen kissing in the hallways or anything like that. Now, unfortunately, she's she's not willing to talk to anybody. I do know who she is, but she's stated she didn't want to go on record publicly as to what happened in their relationship. But that was the only girl he saw during high school. During he did have another another flame just as he was entering a university. He apparently was the one who broke that off. Then he met a foreign exchange student from Japan, and that was the one that ended up breaking his heart. Apparently she she returned to Japan after her studies and left him broken hearted. And apparently he did not date again after that until he met his his wife, I mean several several years later, a dozen years later. So he was quite a stretch there with no with no female interaction apparently.
Speaker 5: Right now, what was his inclination or what was his academic what was his dreams of being and how did he put those plans together for university? What were what were his plans for university and as a result, what did he believe he was going to study in university in that pursuit, Well.
Speaker 3: He took economics courses in at the University of Toronto at the Scarborough campus. He went there for four years studied economics. But oddly he seemed drawn two jobs where he would get to wear a uniform. And we can reflect back on that a little bit later, perhaps, but many people who are in his mindset, who are sexual satus are drawn two careers that have a certain degree of power and prestige. And he seemed to be during his university years kind of getting to know himself and moving away from the economics and the bookish type jobs to one that he would be in a position of power in. And he did apply to the RCMP as well, and he was actually accepted as an ARCYMP officer after a barrage of the tests, but he put that on hold to wait and hear back from the military first, because that was his prime objective at that point. Apparently he had been he had been inspired by Tom Cruise and Top Gun and that was that was now his plan for the future.
Speaker 5: So that was what you put in the book is that it even surprised his friends who had seen him go through and get a degree in economics. But at the same time, he seemed to watch the Top Gun movie and then around that time make his decision that he'd wanted to be a pilot and then apply to the military.
Speaker 3: Yep. Yeah, he apparently saw the movie Top Gun several dozen times, and that's when he made the announcement to his closest friends that he had decided to pursue a military career and was going to go for his pilot's license and and go from there. And they were all stunned. They thought he was joking at first, but he was dead serious. And eventually they they realized that he's he's leaving the four year economics diploma behind and he's gonna he's going to pursue this military thing.
Speaker 5: Now. He he applied to the military and he was accepted. How did he fare in the military right from the very beginning.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he was. He was a born natural, according to the people who knew him at the time in the military there, and that's why he ascended the the ladder so quickly. Uh, he really he wasted no time in jumping from from rank to rack and from from day one at boot camp out in British Columbia. He uh, he excelled, and he did wonderfully, and he was just he was just compelled to to achieve and climb that ladder as quick as he he's humanly produced. So and uh and the people I had spoke to who had worked with him in the military just said he was he was the ideal officer. He was the ideal candidate and from the get go people knew that he was going to be an achiever.
Speaker 5: Now, as characteristic of the military, lots of times you are stationed at different military bases. And so you talked about initially in British Columbia for our American audience, our West Coast province, British Columbia. He had also been in Winnipeg. In fact, that's where he married eventually, Mary Elizabeth Harriman tell us just where he was stationed, it's sort of the same time that he met Mary Elizabeth tell us that that time, that time frame, when did he meet Mary Elizabeth Harriman, And where was he in terms of his stature in the military, and where was he based at that time?
Speaker 3: Well, at at that point in time, he was actually a flight instructor out out at the base in Manitoba there and uh he was he was a major at the time, and he was actually doing as well as teaching uh flight instruction to new newer recruits, he was in an acrobatic an aerial acrobatic team as well, and uh he was highly regarded out there at the at the airport, and his immediate supervisor said that he knew that that this this man was going to go for the top. But they had already joked about him being uh the c A s one day and uh they they knew, they knew he was. He was going to be targeted for for a very senior position at one point in time, and that at that time he was he had the weekends off, so he would drive out to Alberta, another western province, and that's where he met Mary Elizabeth and he would if she was still in Calgary at the time, he would drive out every weekend in his little hatchback and spend the weekend with her and then drive back drive back to the base before Monday again, which is a huge, huge drive. To anybody who looks at the map, that is one huge drive to do return every weekend. So he was apparently head over heels in love with Mary Elizabeth and they were engaged in the very short order, and like I said, they got married in a small art gallery in Winnipeg.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the Winnipeg art gallery really interesting too. I am in Winnipeg. So now tell us about this eventual. Eventually, there is a couple communities that are involved in this story, and one being Tweed. So you can tell us where geographically Tweed is, and then you can tell us what kind of community this Cozy Cove is, so it has an interesting name, Cozy Cove, and also that there was still some ties to a suburb in Ottawa called Orleans. So tell us about how that worked and at what time was Williams and that he was in Tweed, And tell us where Tweet is in terms of geography.
Speaker 3: All right, Well, that Tweet is just immediately north of Belleville, Ontario, where I live actually, and that's on the northern shore of Lake Ontario, a stone threw across the lake from Rochester, New York. Tweet is about a half hour forty minute drive from Belleville, just directly north, and Cozy Cove is a little offshoot of the village of Tweet. Now Tweet has about fifteen hundred people. It's a very small town village actually, and Cozy Cove is just a on the outskirts of town on a lake actually on a little heart shaped bay on the small lake in town. And it's a very very tight knit community. It's since become very very volatile because there's a lot of mixed emotions there right now and a lot of politics being played out. But there's twenty twenty two houses on Cozy Cove Lane proper. Now the community does extend a little bit further. There's dirt path that you can go through and cut into other little college of sacks. But Cozy Cove Lane itself is very small, twenty two homes. And these people used to be a very retirement age community. But these days you have it's very eclectic. You have blue collar workers, you have white collar workers, you have people who come up from the city on the weak and a very eclectic mix of people. And Williams and his and his wife blended into that environment because they they had a big home in Ottawa and they were looking for a cottage where Russ Russell could stay during the week when he was working at the base, so he would he would often stay there through the week and then either drive back to Ottawa, his home in Ottawa to be shared with his wife, and she was she was working in Ottawa, so she would stay at that house and he either he would go back and visit her on the weekend or she would drive down to the cottage and visit him on the weekend. But uh, he was, he was. He was there in Cozy Cove himself throughout the week, the weekdays as he was working at the base. So I'm not sorry, I go ahead.
Speaker 5: Oh no, what I wanted to say too, is that okay, So the the neighbors that were in Cozy Cove, how did they characterize the couple themselves? And not that they found anything odd, but they did have an impression of them. Again, this seemed to be that he didn't have They didn't show the kind of affection that some people might show. But you tell us about what the impression of the neighbors were about this couple.
Speaker 3: Well, they told me that they looked upon them as more. They said, if they didn't know better, they wouldn't have thought they were married or even a couple, although they did walk around the neighborhood at times hand in hand, just kind of strolling around looking at flowers and birds and the water, but he said more often than not they would they'd be very formal around one another, both in dress and in conduct, and he very formally referred to her as Mary Elizabeth. There was no pet names for either one of them, and he would actually tell the neighbors she would like to be addressed by Mary Elizabeth. I don't call her Mary or Liz, maryl is police caller, Mary Elizabeth. And he would use the same the same name when he when he when he'd come out, he'd be cut in the lawn and he'd he'd be lounging with a book underneath the the umbrella, and he'd say, Mary Elizabeth, would you would you like a drink? Would you care for a drink? And the neighbors just thought that that was very unusual that that they were so formal around one another, And there was never any any public aside from the handholding when they went on walks, There was never any public displays of affection that would make one think that they were in love with one another. They were often described to me by by neighbors as appearing as though they were business partners or brother and sister. So they they found it very unusual the way they interacted with one another.
Speaker 5: Now, they didn't have a lot of opportunity to to uh consort with too many of the neighbors. But one of the neighbors live next door, and they called him sort of affectionately, as the people in the community called him the mayor of Cozy Cove. And his name was Larry Jones, and so he was next door. Tell us about Larry Jones had some insight into Colonel Williams. Russell Williams, tell us what you had found Larry Williams, our pardoner. Larry Jones had said about Russell Williams and his behavior.
Speaker 3: Well, Larry Larry Jones is to put it, I don't mean to talk down either, but he's a country bumpkin and he's proud of that. He was born and raised in the country, and he's very much a country boy. He found Russell Williams to be a bit of a comedy act, being a city slicker and not being very used to the country living and being able to be self sufficient with tools and the riding lawnmower and boats in the lake, and he would he told me off and laughed at how how inept Russell Williams was for somebody who was so far up in the military. How he how he couldn't tie his his boat properly and would let it drift out into the middle of the lake, and how he had no idea how to change blades on his riding lawn mower, so he he would often he would often help his next door in a neighbor with with menial chores like that. And there was one time that Russell Williams was scheduled to drop the puck at a charity hockey tournament in Belleville here as well as as the as the base commander, and he went to Larry Jones and asked, how do I drop a puck? What is there to it? So Larry Jones took him with with a puck and some hockey sticks out to the garage and showed him how to drop a puck. So he he just found uh, he just found Williams to be a bit of an anomaly that way, and uh to be quite reclusive. Well, when he didn't need your help, he he wouldn't even know he was home the house. The house would be kept dark. He would always keep his vehicle parked in the garage, The blinds would be closed, the doors would all be shut. He said. One time he heard music coming from the house and he went over to check it out because he thought somebody may have broke in and was scared when suddenly Williams popped his head up from the.
Speaker 1: Window and Hello, it is Ryan. And I was on a flight the other day playing one of my favorite social spin slot games on chumbacasino dot com. I looked over the person sitting next to me, and you know what they were doing. They were also playing Chumba Casino. Coincidence, I think not everybody's loving having fun with it. Chumba Casino's home the hundreds of casino style games you can play for free anytime, anywhere, even at thirty thousand feet. So sign up now at Chumbuck Casino dot com to claim you're free welcome bonus. That's Chumbuck Casino dot com and lived at Chumba Lane necessary if I lost the terms of conditions eighteen plus. Hey guys, it is a Ryan. I'm not sure if you know this about me, but I'm a bit of a fun fanatic when I can. I like to work, but I like fun too. It's a thing. And now the truth is out there, I can tell you about my favorite place to have fun, Chumba Casino. They have hundreds of social casino style games to choose from, with new games released each week. You can play for free, anytime, anywhere, and each day brings a new chance to collect daily bonuses. So join me and the fun. Sign up now at Chumba casino dot com. We're necessary lost in terms conditions.
Speaker 3: I was watching a movie and he had no idea he was even he was. He was even there for the weekend, so he said. He said he could be there, He could be there for days and you wouldn't even know he was. He was home.
Speaker 5: Now. Part of the training for a military person, and Russell Williams thought was very important to keep up his physical his physical appearance, and also to to work out and keep healthy and keep physical. And so one of the characteristics that that his wife knew about was that he would go often for evening jogs. Tell us a little bit about some of the habits that Colonel Williams had that, of course his wife was aware of.
Speaker 3: Well. He was starting to feel the effects of age. He was forty four and his back was giving him problems, his legs were giving him some trouble, and he was on medication, some pain control medication for his arthritic condition. And he would tell his wife apparently that he would go for these evening jogs just to relax his muscles and make it easier for him to sleep at night. Now, oddly, I mean a lot of the breakings occurred between the hours of one am and five am, and he'd be in a lot of these homes for upwards of two and a half hours, which in itself is incredibly strange. Usually, when somebody breaks in to steal something, you go in, you grab it and you get the heck out of there. Again, you don't. You don't stay in the house for two and a half hours, undressing, posing in there for self portraits and their garments, lying in their beds and uh. It just completely bizarre. But the fact that he claimed to his wife to be out for for late night jogs before going to bed, it just would it just seems beyond belief that the di Spose wouldn't question you when he came back several hours later, uh, in the wee hours of the morning. But that was his excuse, That's how he that's how he put it to his wife, was that he required these jogs to to relax and to settle in for the evening. And uh truth truth was he was when he wasn't breaking in, he was using these these jogs as a reconnaissance uh tours around the neighborhood to find out where the single women lived or where the attractive women lived and set up his agenda.
Speaker 5: Now, tell us what year this is that they've had these rash of break and ners. You've already alluded to what happened at the break and enter of these breaking enters, But tell us about the first break and entners that were discovered by police and what the homeowner discovered, because now we know, you know what Russell Williams was doing in that home but unbeknownst to the homeowners and to the police that investigated these break and entners. Tell us just what happened and the police reaction from the very first breaking enters that occurred in Cozy Cove.
Speaker 3: Well, the first break and enters that happened in Cozy Cove were back in two thousand and seven, and the very first one was as next door neighbor, not Larry Jones, but the neighbors on the other side, which was a middle aged couple who had a teenage son and a preteen daughter who was about twelve years old at the time. Williams took a took a liking to the twelve year old girl and she became the target of his first break in when they were actually up in Sudbury and Northern Ontario town for a death in the family, a family illness later turned to a death. He used that opportunity to go next door and spend several hours going going through her stuff in her bedroom and taking posing in her in her underwear and on her bed, taking portraits of himself, and he returned. He returned to that house several times. But from there it just it just continued. He preyed on other homes in the area. Uh. None of these were noted at the time or reported the place, with the exception of one. He was he was just so meticulous at that point in time that he could enter a house, he could spend hours there, he could have his fun leave with a few what psychiatrists called souvenirs or trophies, and people were none the wiser that anybody had been in their home. There was only one incident that was reported to place in cosey Kove, and that was not given priority treatment because often the police will consider these nuisance nuisance crimes, which is the wrong thing to do, of course, because quite often, as in the case with Williams, it's a sign of a future sexual predator basically in training. But they didn't have much reason to alert the neighborhood at that point in time because very few had even noticed that their stuff had been disturbed. But then the breakings. Then he moved his focus to his Orleans neighborhood near Ottawa and started breaking into residences all around their home there, and the Orleans police received more complaints and they were quick to jump on things, and they even had people working under cover on the street in weight lying in wait to watch for anybody suspicious approaching homes because he was just he was amazingly adept at slipping in and getting in without without anybody noticing, and spending like I said, hours inside and then slipping back out. And he was he was like a ghost figure. He was really getting under their skin. But from from what I hear from neighbors in Ottawa, they the police did not alert the neighbors of the neighborhood of the breakings occurring. They they they put their own man power out there to try and solve the crime, but didn't alert the neighborhood out of fear that it would it would rile the community. And there are neighbors now who resent that because they think they probably could have helped catch him if they had known that there was fetish burglar on the loose in their community, because a couple of times they did come close to defining somebody who was prowling around, but it was dismissed at that point.
Speaker 5: So the credit for the police in Orleans, in the bigger city of Ottawa, or are near the bigger city of Ottawa, they didn't regard these types of crimes as nuisance crimes and could see that it could possibly be an indication of a far more serious type of criminal that may be escalating at some point. So that's why they did put the effort almost immediately into trying to do some surveillance and try to capture this person that was breaking into the community in that area for sure, for sure.
Speaker 3: And unfortunately the break ins in the two communities weren't connected though at that point, because apparently the kind of break ins are a lot more common than most people realize. According to the police, these these occur in most big cities on a regular, ongoing basis, So to connect the break ins and Cozy Cove, which was two hundred kilometers away or two hundred and fifty klometers away from the Orleans neighborhood, was just not going to happen that quickly.
Speaker 5: Now, let's talk about the escalation of Russell Williams in terms of you said he would he was very adept at breaking into the home and then the homeowner not being aware that he had taken the underwear and the camusols and the bras and the trophies, and that he's even been in the home. At what point and was it in Cozy Cove that he escalated his behavior in terms of letting people know that he had been in their homes. And what did the police do as a result of that, Well.
Speaker 3: He started getting getting bolder, and I think I think he was probably getting bored with being so being so careful and being undetected. I think he wanted the thrill of being hunted u and out smarting. I mean, part of his narcissism was just the fact that he thought he was smarter than everybody else. He was sure he was smarter than the authorities, and he welcomed the challenge because he honestly believed that he could get away with it all. So he did escalate his behaviors and instead of leaving leaving the homes away that he had found them, he would purposely leave dirt and leaves from his from his shoes, he would he would he would track Muth through the house and as he's climbing in the windows, he would leave streaks down the walls and in some cases later on he left notes, taunting notes for his victims and left photo albums out opened up to pages with some photographs missing that he had kept for himself. And so he made a point of letting his victims know that they had been broken into. And I think it was all part of just the looking for a thrill he needed. He needed an escalation to to feel that adrenal insurge.
Speaker 5: Now, what did the police do once they realized that there was evidence of someone breaking into this small community and stealing certain things out of these people's homes. What did the police do as a result.
Speaker 3: Well, in in Cozy Cove, they they claimed that they were they were never aware of the break ins until until after he had been arrested. With the exceptions of the one that had been reported, the police claimed that the others were not brought to their attention. They had no idea that they had occurred. That's that's the official line on their story, at least up until or during the period where they were talking to media. The Ottawa Police in Orleans a completely different story. Again, They were they were working with the residents at one point after failing to apprehend them himself, and the neighbors were trying to set up their own organization, their own community organization to meet, kind of like a neighborhood watch program, but they were discouraged from doing that because it may may scare them away. They were actually used using the community, the neighborhood as as bait in some respects to lure this guy to a position where he would be caught. So it was just the was an ongoing police effort, but they did have some suspects. But there were stories of when they were interviewing the suspects as they were sure were responsible for the breakings, they get a phone call reporting another one. So he was always.
Speaker 2: Okay, Brown two, name something that's not boring. Laundry, book club, computer solitaire.
Speaker 1: Huh oh, sorry, we were looking for chumbu casino.
Speaker 4: Chum.
Speaker 1: That's right, chumbucasino dot com as over one hundred casino style games joined today and play for free for your chance to redeem some serious prizes. Chum chumbucasino dot com.
Speaker 4: Plus conditions.
Speaker 3: A few steps ahead of them.
Speaker 5: Now, let's talk about the escalation of Russell Williams to actually taking his twisted uh fantasies into reality and actually committing a break and enter and rape. So tell us about the first rape, first rape victim, and some of the characteristics of Russell Williams in the the commission of this rape.
Speaker 3: Right, Well, the first the first rape a sexual assault. There was there was no intercourse involved. But he saw this this young, attractive, a blonde female apparently while he was boating boating along the shore and saw her at her home and realized that she was living alone. Her significant other was working on the road, so she was often at home with a newborn baby by herself. He took mental note of that and put it on his agenda. And he found an insecure or an insecure window that he was able to crawl through while she was alone in the house, and he attacked her while she was lying sleeping in the bed. He overpowered her, and basically, the long and short of it is, he did not rape her, and he promised her that he wouldn't hurt the baby. He promised her that he wouldn't hurt her or raper as long as she she did complied with his with his demands, and his demands at that point were to tire her up, to remove her clothes, to have her pose for for for photographs for him from pretty lurid photographs, and then he would let her go. And that's essentially all he did. He he was there for a couple of hours and took a series of photographs of her and had her pose and demeaning and dehumanizing, humiliating positions, but he did not He fondled her, but he did He did not engage in any sexual acts beyond beyond touching. So that was the first first assault, and two weeks later he repeated the the action with another another neighbor of his, who's since come forward with with her name. It's Lorie Mascot, and she's an older lady, at least in comparison to his first victim, who was very youthful in her early twenties. The second one she was forty forty seven years old, quite an age difference, also blonde hair. But he broke in there through through an open window as well and attacked her. She was lying sleeping on the couch she had fallen asleep watching TV, and he'd be pretty much went through the same motions with with her, having her, tying her up, blind folding her, warning her not to try to look at him, and just to obey his commands, and he would he would leave her safe afterwards. And that's that's what he did. Was he posure and again in demeaning positions for two and a half hours, and took photo graphs, and oddly enough, he seemed caring and compassionate, whereas with the first victim, he'd promised her that he wasn't going to harm the baby. She she tried to dissuade him by saying, I've I put on some some weight from having the baby. I don't think you'll find me attractive, and he told her, I think I think you're you're perfect. And then with the second victim, he even got her title and all and and rubbed her temples and uh got her got her water and tilern alls to to help her headache that he had given from smashing her head with his flashlight. So quite a quite an odd behavior pattern was exhibited during these two early attacks, and that's where a lot of experts had gone wrong in believing he was what they call a power reassurance rapist, which is basically a rapist to fantasizes about having a relationship with these people, consenting relationship and they're actually trying to move in as they're as they're forcing themselves on them as a as a boyfriend role. But late later that was that was corrected and it was revealed that this is just basically he was. He was going through basic training for for his later assaults and kind of learning, learning who he was and what his techniques were going to be by taking these couple of early early evenings just to practice tying them up and humiliating them.
Speaker 5: So what did the police do as a result of these two sexual assaults, what did the police then do and who did they focus their attention on?
Speaker 3: Well, unfortunately, what what happened at that point was they they were casting some doubts on the on the first claim, the first young woman, They thought apparently that she she she had made this up so that her boyfriend would feel guilty and would spend more time at home with her. They didn't believe that some of the terminology that she said he used like he had told her to roll over onto her tummy, And it was their learned opinions that people who do sexual assaults, rapists do not use terms like tummy, and they're not as polite as as what she was claiming this guy was, and that they would they generally want to instill fear that they would hurt the baby if they didn't comply, and this guy was apparently promising that he wouldn't hurt the baby. So they questioned her story, her credibility, and they thought maybe it was just a apploy to the guilt the boyfriend with the With the second with the second sexual assault, they thought, based on their past interactions with this lady that she seemed may have been doing a copycat type of fence just to so she can get some government money on the Criminal Injuries Compensation Board, and she might have just been playing it up that way. So unfortunately they didn't take these as serious as they should have at the time, nor did they put out a warning to the community after the first sexual assault, which is now the basis of Lorie Massacot's civil suit against the opp for failure to warn the neighborhood that there was a sexual predator.
Speaker 5: On this part of the lawsuit is also the humiliation when the police did come to her home, they made her stay in the same constraints and wait for a police photographer to come. And that's part of her lawsuit as well, is that she endured this incredible amount of time in this humiliating and degradating, degrading posing for police, and then they spent hours continuing her ordeal.
Speaker 3: Right right, well, I believe it was five hours. They kept her wearing the same restraints that he had tied on to her while while they were interviewing her and asking her question, well, we're waiting for the forensic people to arrive and do their stuff. So she did say that it was particularly humiliating after suffering at the hands of Williams for two and a half hours to then be be kept in that condition while you're being interviewed by the police. So no, no doubt she was who She was disturbed by that, but she felt she had to do her part in order for this guy to get caught, so she went along with what the police were asking of her. And but she did claim to feel very humiliated during the whole procedure.
Speaker 5: Okay, now, so you say that the police are still in the dark despite the breaking enters, which they've written off as a nuisance type breaking enters. They didn't take them very seriously. They didn't have any contact. Well, I don't think they would have had any contact with police in Ottawa to see similarities. And like you say, these crimes off happen occur a lot more often than people might think. When exactly did the police finally get it through their head that they had a serious predator on the loose. When did this happen and why what crime precipitated them actually coming to their senses and realizing they had a serious predator in their midst.
Speaker 3: Well at the after the two sexual assaults, and I know what is very interesting too, and I'm I'd love to get some answers on this. Apparently, at the break ins in Outawa, there were a couple occasions where he left DNA evidence or potential DNA evidence behind. He ejaculated in the in the girls rooms and and left some evidence behind which they apparently sent for forensic testing, and for some reason it was an unusable sample. I'd like to I'd be very interested in finding out why such a substantial sample would be unfit for analysis, because they later did get DNA from from both the first sexual assault victim as well as the second, Laura Masacot, and that could have been connected readily at that point, had had they got results back from the sample that they obtained in Ottawa, and it was it just it was it's very peculiar that, based on the testimony as to what he did at this particular residence in Ottawa, he he not only adulterated hair brushes and and garments, but he ejaculated over addresser her treasure drawers. So there should have been substantial fluid to be able to obtain the DNA analysis on So I'd be very interested in finding it more about why it was unsuitable for analysis, because that was a huge opportunity to link begin linking these crimes up. And he did get the they did get samples from the two sexual assault victims in Cozico. But Laurie Massacot was what was put up by somebody she knows to call the police and claim it was her next door neighbor that she recognized the voice suddenly after further review in her in her head, than she recognized the voices that of Larry Jones. And based on based on that alone, apparently there's no indication that they had anything else to go on other than other than her word, they went and searched his place while he was at hunting. One day, he got back from hunting and they were literally tearing his place apart, looking for a whole list of items from lingerie to women's under garments and computer computer discs and photographs and cameras. And he was he was beside himself. He didn't understand what was going on.
Speaker 1: Or Lucky Land Casino asking people, what's the weirdest place you've gotten? Lucky Lucky in Line at the Delhi I guess Ah in my dentist's office more than once actually do I have to say? Yes, you do in the car before my kid's PTA meeting?
Speaker 4: Really?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 4: Excuse me? What's the weirdest place you've gotten lucky? I never win in tell Well, there.
Speaker 5: You have it.
Speaker 1: You could get lucky anywhere playing at lucky landslots dot com play for free right now, are you feeling lucky? We're necessary for eighteen plus terms conditions plus eftyils for why he.
Speaker 3: Would be the subject of the investigation. But for quite some time afterwards he was. He was a prime suspect. He even went in for polygraphy volunteer to undergo an extent the polygraph tests and I was given a path on that and they told him he had been cleared. But yet he still found out weeks later that they were still asking around about him, still interviewing people about him, and they were still hot on his trail. So they were wasting a lot of time, unfortunately, with with his false lead that they were given about Larry Jones.
Speaker 5: Now just for our audience, so we could tell Larry Larry Jones is at that time was a senior citizen, maybe he could tell us just why he did not in hindsight, of course, why he couldn't possibly have been the person, at least it didn't seem so from what they found in his cottage, which was tell us what they found, and tell us who he was, and what kind of physical shape he was and what kind of size he was, and tell us a little bit more about Lorie Massacot's description that didn't really seem to fit. Tell us a little bit about that. Well.
Speaker 3: The police had been given descriptions by the first the two sexual assault victims as a male I believe they said probably between thirty thirty to fifty years of age. He was tall and tall and skinny and didn't have a whole lot of body hair. And by by contrast, Larry Jones is sixty five, sixty five years old. He's as hairy as a gorilla. I'm proud of it. And he's he's not not not short, but he's certainly not tall and lean either. He's he's very he's got a very pronounced ver belly, and he's proud of that as well. But apparently, when when the cops were focusing on him, he just ripped his shirt open and he said, do I look like this as fact that you've been given the description of and they had no answer for him. So it was very, very bizarre that they chose to focus their efforts on him, and as we know now, it was a lot of wasted time.
Speaker 5: Right, So tell us now about the actual murder, the first murder, and what police then did as a result of that incident.
Speaker 3: Well, the first murder was in November two thousand and nine, and that was Murray Franz Como in Brighton, Ontario, which is just west of Trent where the military, the Air Force base is and he had broken into her house a week before. He had had access to her and I should mention that she was a flight attendant working at the Air Force base. He had flown with once before and learned that she lived alone, and he found her attractive and he made a mental note of that, no doubt, And he was able to access her personnel records at the base and find out when she was away on assignments and used that to break into her house to do her little reconnaissance, make sure there were no males living there and check out the flora plan. He always liked to acquaint himself with the floor plans of the places before he made his final attacks, so he broke in there exactly a week before the murder took place, and stole some of her under garments and posed for some pictures, once again his typical signature. And then he returned a week later and broke in, broke in through a basement window, and lurked in the basement waiting for her to fall asleep. She came downstairs to check on her cat, or to find her cat to feed it, and he jumped sprang out from behind the furnace and and started attacking her and uh the the the assault went on for for several hours, and it was it was I presented quite graphically in the book, because later his behaviors are are analyzed as to why he why he did certain things that he did do. But the details are very graphic, and I I had access to video transcriptions and I was at the ascensing hearing for four days and heard all the testimony, and it was it was very very graphic details. He wrapped her face up and a towel and duct taped around it, and he ended up killing her by by suffocating her with the duct table over her nose in her mouth. The scene was was quite quite brutal. She he beat her quite severely because she did put up a fight. She tried to She tried to fight her way out of it, and as a result she suffered a lot of injuries. But oddly enough, after the it was her boyfriend who discovered her body a couple of days later called the police, and the police then told the public that there was no reason for public concern, that there was no public risk involved. They they were suspecting it as a domestic occurrence at first, but later ruled out her ex boyfriend and her current boyfriend. And yet for two months the public was still told it's it's there's no public risk here, even though again they got DNA from Marie France's home. Why this was not immediately connected to the DNA obtained and cozy cove the DNA that was obtained in Ottawa that apparently wasn't usable all all these, all these linkages should have she should have put a fast end to this, But but the public word was that it was it was an isolated incident, no threat to the public, and carry on as usual. Unfortunately, it was two months later that Jessica Lloyd went missing.
Speaker 5: Now tell us about Jessica Lloyd and her murder.
Speaker 3: Well, it was on her. Her home is on Highway thirty seven, which is a rural highway that passes north through from Belleville up to Tweed. So it's it's the route that Colonel Williams, or the former Colonel Williams Russell Williams took when he was returning home to his cottage at Koseykov from the from the military base through the weekdays. So he would he would, he would literally drive right past, right past her home. Now he he claims that he saw Jessica Lloyd through a basement window exercising on her treadmill. That that is a little a little tough to buy because her house is set a couple hundred feet back from from the highway. At highway speeds, you can hardly it's to raise bungalow. To be able to see an a basement window somebody on a treadmill is a stretching credibility. I think it's much more likely that perhaps he saw her out cutting the lawn or something and took mental note. But I believe he had been stalking her for some time before he made his move, and the night he the night he abducted her, he drove off the highway, parked his parked his truck by a roll of trees that kind of demarks the property line, just kind of blending with the darkness. It was a full moon that night, so it did cast some shine down enough that a passing police officer stopped at Jessica Lloyd's door before she had returned home. After seeing Williams's truck park there. She she thought it was unusual. The female officer knocked on the front door to to find out if it belonged there. Nobody answered, so the officer got back in her cruiser and drove off and never followed up and never took a note of the plate. Apparently, and unfortunately that I mean the officer apparently is dealing with a lot of stress and it has been off of stress leaves since. But that action alone could have saved could have potentially save Jessica Lloyd's life, because there was eight hours in between when she was reported missing the following day and when she was killed by Williams. But William Williams just lurked, lurked in her in her backyard, waiting for her to get home, and once she had got home, gone to her bedroom and the light was turned out. He made his move and slipped in through a rear door and and attacked her as she lied in bed. And he put that girl through close to twenty four hours of humiliating torture and just tormented her endlessly, at one point taking her from from her own home blindfolded into his vehicle and driving her back to Cozy Cove and keeping her for the remaining time at the cottage in Cozy Cove, where he ultimately killed her.
Speaker 5: And she thought, unlike the other victim in terms of putting, she didn't really put up a fight, and she thought being compliant would save her life. And she continually asked him if he was going to kill her, and he assured her no, But he did kill her in the end.
Speaker 3: Exactly she she she she went along with everything he had to say, and she she would she would ask for any critiques. Am I doing this right? Do you want me to do it some other way? She was very, very, very very compliant with him. And that was one of the things that I I set out to hopefully find out some answers to when I wrote this book, was did these women behave any any differently? Did did certain behavior patterns guarantee that they would live as opposed to the ones who were killed. But unfortunately there were there was There was no nothing like that, because the two that he murdered acted polar opposites to one was fire fighting back, giving it all she had to to break free, and the other one was compliant and giving him everything he wanted out of hopes that he would he would let her go in the end.
Speaker 5: Now, the Russell Williams at this time, and this is a big part of the story obviously, because this is a very very high ranking military officer, he's a colonel, and at the same time that he's pulling a he's doing these breaking enters. At that time, a couple of years before that, these break and enters were happy happening. His escalation to sexual assault and then his eventual escalation to sexual assault, forcible confinement and murder, tell us what was happening in his professional life.
Speaker 3: Well, he had just six months prior to committing the murders. He had been given the given command of a CFB Trend ad Win Trend, which is the busiest and the biggest Air Force base in Canada, and at that time, the operational temple of the base was extraordinary. We had the ongoing war effort, the combat mission in Afghanistan, we had the earthquake relief in Haiti, We were dealing with the Olympic securities theater, was ongoing structural improvements at the base. The base was literally torn up and they were doing all kinds of restructuring there. There was the temple around the base was just through the roof, So no doubt he had his share of stress, but he managed to He managed to keep ball in order and he never showed any sign. According to everyone I've interviewed, he was one of the most calm collected individuals they had ever met, and he never once appeared like he was out of control.
Speaker 5: Incredible. So, at this time, after the second murder, police find a footprint outside the home and also tire tracks and tell us how their investigation proceeds from there.
Speaker 3: Right, Well, it was actually Andy Lloyd and a relative of his another cousins who looked around the property and found the tire tracks. The police later took credit for it, but it was Andy Lloyd who found who found the footprints and the tire tire tracks. The police land made castings of those prints and the tracks and were able to through their specialized forensic services, be able to narrow it down. Now, they did get the year of the vehicle wrong. Two I believe they said it was in nineteen ninety nine to two thousand and one Nissan Passbinder and his was a two thousand and two Passbinder. But they did get the they did get the make of the vehicle correct, and they did get the brand and model of the tire correct. Two from the from the prince, from the from the footprint, they were able to determine the type of boot that was that was worn. And oddly, bizarrely enough, when Williams went when he was called in for the interview at Ottawa Police Headquarters, he drove the same truck and he wore the same boots and he used it at Jessica Lloyd.
Speaker 5: Says, Now they did a roads just a I guess, a routine roadside check. And tell us how they actually discovered that Russell Colonel Williams Russell Williams could have been a potential suspect despite the appearance of him being beyond reproach because of his stature and his position. But tell us how they proceeded with getting Russell Williams in the questioning tell us how what happened next?
Speaker 3: Right? Well, it was interesting I learned from some residents in cozy Kove who were irritated by the fact that when they had gone canvassing the neighborhood door to do or nobody had answered at Williams's residence, And when they learned that it was the commander of VP Trenton, they kind of sloughed it off and didn't bother to follow up with it again afterwards. But luckily when they did the roadside stop, which is typical investigation procedure, they waited till one week from the night that Jessica Lloyd disappeared and set it up just outside her residents to talk to people who would routinely pass by that time of night and that day of the week and see if they had seen anything out of the ordinary. Now, their secondary purpose was to look for any vehicle that matched the years of the pass find that they were looking for and had the kind of tires that they knew belonged to the vehicle as well. So while one officer was questioning the driver, the other officer was taking a look at the wheels and the tires, and that the model of the vehicle. And with Williams, he was one of the first stop that the at the traffic stopped there and they realized that his vehicle came very close to matching the years they were looking for in the pathfinder, and he had the right tires and he had the connections. Murray franz Como, with the first murder victim, worked at the base the sexual assaults that happened in Cozykove where his cottage was, and Jessica Lloyd had disappeared right on the route that he used to go back and forth.
Speaker 5: So from there they put the two into proverbial two and two together and then one of the officers asked him to come in for questioning. Is that what happened?
Speaker 3: That's right. They put around around the clock surveillance on him at that point and followed him back to Ottawa, and they did things like when he went to the car washed they and vacuumed this car. They confiscated the the garbage garbage bag afterwards and analyze it, but noting nothing came of that, so they decided to try a different approach rather than than risk losing Jessica Lloyd, if she was still alive and if he was still responsible for holding her captive somewhere. So that's when they decided to call him in for an interview at the police headquarters.
Speaker 5: So by the time they asked for the interview, they had already they were already gathering the warrants, they were already they had a good idea that it was possibly him, and so that's the way the questioning went. And they also picked a person that was very, very experienced and potentially could get him to build a rapport with Williams, so he had a definite strategy to be able to go in and question him effectively, where at the same time they were gathering evidence via warrants to be able to further their investigation.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, I mean their choice in Detective Sergeant Smith was fabulous because he did establish an amazing rapport with Williams. Williams was actually reluctant to see him leave the room each time he left and wanted assurances that he was coming back again, that he didn't want to talk to anybody else. So he was very effective in establishing that respectful rapport with the colonel who was very cocky at the time that he first went in there, chewing gum and making wise cracks and smiling for the camera. He became a very different man over hours of questioning by Detective Sergeant Smith. But he did he did produce. He was asked to produce the boots off his feet, and he volunteer surrendered them to Smith, and they matched up with the castings that they had made from the Jessica Lloytsch property. And he basically he put the nails on his own coffin there.
Speaker 5: Now, how did the officer or Sergeant Smith conduct the interview? At first, they built a rapport, obviously he was interested in his career. They built sort of a mutual respect, of course, by being non intimidating. He said, the days of rolling up the sleeves and two guys in the room, they just sent this sort of smaller looking guy, sort of an unassuming guy too, not a big tough cop, and not with that kind of attitude going into the room. But tell us how at some point he put some things in front of Colonel Williams that he hoped would get a response that he eventually did get.
Speaker 3: Well, I meant, Detective Sergeant Smith is a very unassuming man, as I've described him in the book to not the very intimidating fellow, and that works to his advantage. I'm sure likes of Williams, especially with Williams's narcissistic personality, UH probably would feel he was at a huge advantage over over Smith from the get go. But Smith is kind of like the like the Columbo character where he's underestimated, but if you turn your back on him, he's got you. And UH Smith used that to his advantage, and he has struck up a respectful raport with with Williams. He didn't treat him like a criminal, like a like a dirty predator. He he spoke with him on a on an equal basis as as commander of military forces, and UH paid him a lot of respect that way, which obviously worked well with with Williams and then his character and his need for UH prestige and and and respect that way. But it was the the evidence once once UH Smith resented the footprint evidence and the tire treade evidence and similarity in the vehicles and presented that to the Williams.
Speaker 1: UH.
Speaker 3: He he knew He's He's a smart man. Williams is no dummy. He knew his his goose was cooked. And at that point it became obvious to Smith that that Williams was more concerned about the well being of his wife and his public image in terms of the Canadian military establishment. So he worked, he worked on that. He he basically got williams cooperation through making things easier for his wife and bringing less shame to the UH or making him believe that it would be less shame to the Canadian military establishment. So in that, in that, in that respect, he gained Williams' trust. And I mean it did not come without with effort, without effort, and without a lot a great deal of reflection on Williams's If you've seen the video or I have read the book, there there are long periods where no words or exchange. He's just sitting there, stroking his chin and staring at the floor, no doubt, fighting with the turmoil. What what should I do? How can I make this best? And eventually he just he just caved in. And when when Smith handed him or actually no, Smith asked where where Jessica Lloyd was, and the breaking point was Williams just looked up at him and said, got a map? And from that point forward he he let it all loose.
Speaker 5: In terms of some of the evidence as well that maybe police might have found Smith was able to determine Russell Williams. Colonel Williams did not want a new home that he had built they had bought together with his wife to be ripped apart, so he wanted to lessen some of that trauma for her the destruction of that home, so he willingly gave up a lot of secret stashes of some of the computer discs and some of the clothing that he had hidden. Tell us a little bit more about how extensive a confession and disclosure of evidence that the Smith was able to get from Colonel Williams.
Speaker 3: Well, Williams just came clean with everything. Basically, like you said, he was concerned that the home they had just moved into in Ottawa, which was his wife's dream home that she had wanted for many years. They had just moved in just weeks before, and boxers were still packed and they were still unpacking and settling in, and he was concerned that they were tearing up the floors and punching in the walls and that the house was being destroyed. So he he told Smith, I'll tell you exactly where everything is as long as you promised to pull your men out of there, and uh, just target specifically where I tell you. So he gave them, He gave them complete directions to where in the ventilation systems. He had computer hard drives hidden. Then on these computer hard drives, he had meticulous records of all all his breaking enters, the addresses, the dates, and the times, how long he was there, what evident or what items he took from the home. And uh, he was just meticulous with his records keeping that way. So he basically he just he's saying he sank his own ship because they they otherwise probably would have had a real hard time connecting these these multiple break ins to him. But he just had all the evidence there and waiting for them. He also gave them directions to to boxes that were filled with boxes and bags full of women's garments and photographs of his victims, and photographs of Jessica Lloyd along with some of her identification that he had taken that were in boxes, in unpacked boxes in the house that they had just moved into. Oddly enough, and uh, they uncovered most of the most of the items in the Ottawa home, but he also gave them directions to places in the in the Tweed cottage where he had duct taped some eight millimeter videotapes of his attacks underneath his piano and other items in the in the Ottawa home, as well more computer gizmos and stuff like that too, and discs and files. So they had a bounty of evidence. At at that point, they had just hit the mother load. They really their their their case was made for them. They didn't have to do any any further digging after that.
Speaker 5: And so basically the world woke up basically the next day and cans and especially the Canadian military to learn that this person that they had no idea, this exemplary a military person and despite maybe being somewhat odd, no one would have thought that this person was capable of this whatsoever. At the same time, the military acted swiftly to distance themselves from Colonel Williams. And we'll go on if we get a little bit of time, we'll talk about that. But basically, unlike many many trials, and you point this out multiple homicide, the defense lawyer decided just to enter a guilty plea at the trial. It's not correct right.
Speaker 3: Well, apparently that was at the desire of Williams himself. He wanted the trial to be over and out of the public spotlight as quickly as possible, or not not one of the trial, but he just wanted to be plead guilty to discharges and get out of the public spotlight as quick as possible and keep his legal bills and an absolute minimum to protect his wife's assets, and just avoid bringing too much shame on his family and his wife. There was also indication that he had evidence that they had found relating to photographs of bondage and discipline and s and m and a lot of it involving teenage girls that he wanted to keep out from the media spotlight. So it's been rumored that that was part of the part of his desire to get it all over with as quick as possible.
Speaker 5: So he was also implicated in forty eight break and enters and the sexual assaults and the two murders. Tell us about the sentencing, tell us about sort of the mood at the trial, and tell us about what the military did.
Speaker 3: Well. He was actually eighty two eighty two Break into was forty eight to forty eight homes he just returned to some on multiple occasions. So he was convicted of eighty two b and es or a few of them being attempted be and es when he encountered alarm systems, he was quick to retreat and run off before being discovered. But he pled guilty to all of the charges that were brought against him, and it took I believe it was some like forty forty minutes to read out all the charges that that were in front of him before he played guilty. But then the Crown, the Crown Attorney, Crown Attorney's office provided four days of graphic evidence as to his crimes and showed photographs. In the photographs that have been released that you can see in in my book, and they've been in different newspapers as well, are very tame compared to the photographs they showed in the courtroom for hours upon hours, and they did they did not show the video, but I was able to get my hands on the transcript of everything that occurred on on the videotapes, which I used to create some rather disturbing scenes in the book. But four days of very graphic evidence, and the Crown Attorney said they were doing that so that it would be on the record, so that ever he applied for parl that it would be there and could be used to prevent that release from happening. But go ahead, uh did. There were in the in the courtroom. It was a very very tense, very emotional four days. I mean half the courtroom were where media, as you can imagine, and the other half were were family, family members of victims and even a couple of few victims themselves and the uh the feelings were just palpable in the courtroom. I mean, the tears were constantly flowing. They had they had boxes of Kleenex on every the end of every pew for for all the family members. Family members would often they'd get up and leave before the evidence was presented as to what happened to their particular family member. And uh Andy Lloyd himself left the courtroom with his mother just before the evidence uh began for Jessica Lloyd, and he passed within a couple of inches behind walking right behind Williams behind the plate glass of course, but I just imagining the restraint that was necessary for him to get pass within a couple of inches of the man who who who humiliated and brutalized his and killed his his his baby sister. Was just it's unfathomable. But the courtroom was it was a very quiet courtroom U S s I from the the emotional outbursts occasionally, but everyone was just just glued to the testimony because up until that point, nobody knew that he was involved in cross dressing. That was that was released that came to light during the sensing hearing UH and the and the hundreds of photographs that they showed those in the courtroom of him posing in very provocative poses and in in their undergarments and on their beds and doing a very unspeakable acts with their with their teddy bears and their their hair brushes and stuff like that. So it was it was very very intense four days. But Williams did get up, to his credit, he did. He was asked by the judge if he would like to address the court with anything, and he did get up and offer a He spoke for about five minutes and and there was nothing that that was going to do to There's nothing that could help him with his sentence was automatic. There was not going to be any any form of leniency. He had been disgraced publicly and exposed for who he really was. But at least he at least he stood and addressed the courtroom again with with with no indication that it was an attempt at being self serving, because there was nothing to be gained from it. So that's how the that's how the the courtroom testimony ended. Now, of course he was emotional in his speech, but his his tears, there were no tears coming from his eyes, and when he lifted the tissue to his face, it was to wipe his nose and not his eyes. So as to whether or not there was true remorse remains a hot topic of debate amongst the experts, but most tend to agree that he as a sexual statist, and with the list of personality disorders that he's got, that he's not feeling remorse, and he has a little compassion for the victims and the families of the victims.
Speaker 5: Right, just be we just have a little bit of time left. We've gone a little bit over just because this story just is just necessary to explain this full, incredible, compelling story. What did the I found the military response quite dramatic. Tell us what the military did as a result.
Speaker 3: Of this, well, they immediately went into damage control mode, which is understandable. I mean, we've had serial killers before in North American around the world that have been oddities and the people we rely suspect the Ted Bundy's amongst us, but never as a as a serial killer been this high in a public position of authority before. I mean, in order to if if you go into the history of serial killers who have been this high ranking in the military, you'd have to go back to the days of Joan of Arc to find a similar ranking officer who was exposed as a serial killer. So, I mean, just the position in society that this man had was just devastating to the community, to the country, and most of all to the military. So obviously they went into immediate, immediate damage control to make sure that the public was aware that this was a very one off case and that the military did not create this person, and that he was just a bad guy who managed to infiltrate a very sound and honorable military community, and he could have belonged to any profession really, So it was just then, of course, if the public got concerned with whether or not the screening methods are appropriate, that the military, and that opens up a whole letther can of worms. He's seeing that there are no psychological tests involved. From the time new recruit goes through the ranks and the sense of military ladder and becomes a colonel and he's given command of a military base, there are no psychological tests given to those candidates. So is there room for improvement? I believe there is, and so do many of the experts.
Speaker 5: Well, what I was speaking about is you've included in your book is the military did the took the unprecedented step of gathering all his uniforms and burning them in case somebody could would buy that uniform or auction it off as a curiosity or keepsake, and the medals were destroyed so that they could never be turned into anything else. As well, they did an unprecedented effort to rid themselves of the memory of Russell Williams to a great degree. It was personal, it seemed it was professional, but it also was an incredible chapter in the military's history that they wish they didn't have to have gone through.
Speaker 3: I think for sure they want to erase all memory of this man. And I mean that's completely understandable. What's disturbing though, is just how many people want to sweep this under the carpet and pretend it never happened. There's a huge mindset out there that believe that if you pretend it didn't happen, then it really didn't happen. And I just disagree with that mentality altogether, because this was a huge wake up call for all of us to realize that there's predators in our mists, and and so sometimes there are the very people that we were taught as children to run towards for help, that that that that we are are capable of such grievous actions. So I think it's a huge wake up call, and I think we we do ourselves with the service as a society if we if we try and and and bury all all memory, all recollection all accounts of of what what he did. I think we really need to to examine him, try and get some answers. And that's that's really what I've I've I've tackled in Camouflage Killers is to go after the whys in the house, because those are the questions that haven't been answered by I mean, it's been in Canada at least, uh there was media saturation last year, but those questions remain unanswered, and that's that was the focus, uh of my efforts over the year of digging and prying and consulting with the experts to try and figure out the the reasons for for such a person being created and why he was willing to risk everything he had he had he had got over the years based on his his sexual verses and really, I mean it's it was fascinating discoveries and disturbing discoveries. But I think we need to examine that and if we if we pretend it didn't existed, then we're just that we're destined to repeat history again. Not not to say we can prevent people like this from from hurting us, but the greater the understanding we have of them, hopefully the easier it is to to understand anomalies and people and bring it to bring it to the attention of those who could help them in early stages.
Speaker 5: I agree with you too in that this is the Another case that happened in our biggest city and in the biggest metropolitan area is the Toronto Area GTA, the Greater Toronto Area. And what we have is that the Bernardo Hamalka case, and quite a few years later we have the Russell Williams Coincidentally, ironically and very weirdly, both of these people attended the same economics class at the University of Toronto. And at the same time, it's not to beat up on the police in Canada, but the police could have done a much better job in this case. They could have done a much better job in apprehensiing apprehending Paul Bernardo. They could have done a much better job in apprehending Robert Picton. And yet, as you've just pointed out, there is no analysis of these type of people. There's no study. The story is high profile and then it just drops out like never hear about it again. It doesn't warrant any examination or analysis. And at the same time, it seems like we can't because we don't have so much experience with these type of offenders. There seems to be just as much a lack of understanding as before Paul Bernardo appeared on the stage, or Colonel Williams or Robert Picton. So it seems that we're destined to repeat ourselves, just like you say, because we are resistant or reluctant to try to understand these type of offenders.
Speaker 3: Well, unfortunately we continue, at least the police continue to make the same mistakes that they've and made efforts to correct. From the days of Paul Bernardo, of course, there was a huge inquiry afterwards into the role of the police and the lack of communication between police forces. There was jealousy between the police forces and politics play it out, and the lack of communication resulted in the delay and apprehension. And since since then, supposedly there's been a huge improvements in communications between police forces. But again taking a look at the Williams case, there's huge evidence of I mean, the the opp who policed Cozy Cove were not enlightening the Belleville police of what was happening just up the road. And when the Belleville police we're investigating incidents down here, they weren't aware of the sexual assaults that had taken place in Cozy Cove just a half hour drive away. They're just a huge, huge miscommunication gaps where uh, there was one one lady who was broken into and had sex toys, sex paraphernalius soul on from her. Williams left a taunting message on her computer go ahead and call the police. I'd love to show the judge you're really big dildos. And when the police came and responded to her call, they weren't They weren't aware of the sexual assaults that they had taken place just just a short drive up the road from her. And then when Jessica Lloyd went missing, it was just a few hundred feet away from the house where the sex toys were stolen, and police were canvassing the neighborhood. She had this victim had to remind the police that she had been broken into and had sex toys stolen and taunting messages left. This is a spitting distance from Jessica Lloyd's house, so that the police just there's still they still need to improve communications. And the whole fact that after the sensing hearing that the police and the Crown Attorney's office said we can't discuss any any more facts about this case for thirty days until the appeal timeline has been exhausted. Thirty days later, they issued a statement that nobody, none of the police officers or Crown attorneys involved in the Williams case, we're going to talk to the media anymore out of respect for the victim's families. So it's been a big, huge media blockade. There's no more questions can be asked, no answers are there to be given, just one, one huge blue wall. And that is not how you improve police services and improve investigation techniques by bearing it along with a lot of people just hope this case will go away and all memories of it will be eradicated, but hopefully my book will make sure that's not the case.
Speaker 5: Yes, as we're going to wrap up here shortly, I wanted to tell the audience as well that you do an extensive job at the end of the book consulting with the famous criminal profile Roy Hazelwood from the BA Unit in FBI, and he's one of the prominent criminal profilers, and it's very interesting. A lot of books, true crime books will go to that effort to talk about that because it's so important to try to understand the state of mind, the psychology behind these types of crimes and these types of offenders. And you do a good job at the end of the book. Some people put this near the beginning of the book, but you placed it well in the back of the book for the analysis of this person, the Colonel Williams to try to identify his personality psychological profile, and so you do an admirable job, and that is what we didn't discuss, along with some of the other things that happened after the sentencing, that people who are compelled to buy your book after hearing this interview will have the added bonus of finding out some of this other information. It's just really, really fascinating. So I want to thank you for an incredible job putting this thing together, this book together, because the research must have been daunting. It's a fascinating, incredible story, and it's a fascinating read. It's really you're on the edge of your seat reading this entire book. So I applaud you for what you've done, and like you say, I hope it does become a catalyst for at least some sort of study review that Canadians can realize that this is something that they need to know about, and maybe the police forces will It might be a wake up call for them as well, because we just keep getting too many of these cases. Where with thy class and which is the American equivalent of VYCAP, we should have a system that did the police agencies communicate with each other. This is not the sixties or the seventies when they didn't have that type of technology, and yet we're seeing the same sorts of problems where just a few, like you say, just a few miles down the road, the police are unaware of crimes that could easily or should be readily connected anyway.
Speaker 3: So absolutely, absolutely so, I.
Speaker 5: Just want to thank you very much for coming on my little program here and talking about your book Camouflaged Killer, The Shocking Double Life of Canadian Air Force Colonel Russell Williams. For those people have been listening, my guest, my special guest journalist and author is David A. Gibb. So that's Camouflage Killer, The Shocking Double Life of Canadian Air Force Colonel Russell Williams. Thank you very much for appearing on the program, and thank you for a great interview.
Speaker 3: Oh, thank you, Dan, I appreciate it well.
Speaker 5: Thank you very much, and have yourself a good.
Speaker 3: Evening you too, Dan.
Speaker 5: Thank you you've been listening to the program True Murder, the most shocking killers in true crime history and the authors that have written about them, with my special guest David A. Gibb from Camouflage Killer. Good night,