Speaker 1: Who could have missed you? Boy, I thought we were gonna be house forever, but we're gonna have to say goodbye because you don't understand the single word I say.
Speaker 2: If you just knew how important it was to learn blood lots, Wait a minute, you did it?
Speaker 1: Lead you down? Shake hands, stay.
Speaker 3: Speak all right, good boy?
Speaker 4: Four finger Discount dude.
Speaker 5: Welcome to four figure discand where this week we had gone all the way back to season two to review an episode that I were discussing off the air is more emotion driven than humor, but as an episode to pay tribute to my lovable dog Jet, who lost a couple of weeks ago. He was a mascot here at four thing a discount, we are, of course reviewing Bart's Dog gets an a F.
Speaker 3: Fine bando, and I am guy. You may have seen me on the cover of Steam Steam magazine.
Speaker 5: Yeah, lots of teen magazines. Yeah, it took me back to reading magazines. But we'll get into that though. But Bars Dog gets an F Your first thoughts on this episode, because for me, I'm watching this going I wouldn't really call this a funny episode. It's got its funny moments, but I don't think it really needed to be. I think I don't think it really wanted to be a funny episode, this one. I think it was more about the emotional story of a boy and his.
Speaker 3: Dog, don't you know. I think some well a family and their dog. Absolutely yeah, true, yeah, yeah, yeah, not really a joke delivery system. This particular episode a nice vein of humor running through, a humor born of frustration, I think, and I think anyone who's ever had a pet can can relate to that frustration, because you know, we all love our four legged friends, or our friends who have wings or gills. You know, we're not just talking about cats and dogs here, but particularly like a cat or dog, we all have wonderful one. You have so many great memories of Jet, I'm sure. Yeah, I'm sure. There were occasions when it's like, that's not where you take a piss pal.
Speaker 5: Or well it was always houseburn, but sometimes you hid fart all the time, which again wasn't his problem. He sure would He couldn't help that, but yeah, he would fight. That was that was the worst thing he did.
Speaker 3: He never chewed anything, He never went to the toilet inside. Yeah, but you can have a pet and you can love a pet with all your heart and soul and still want to be like, I am this close to taken you out to, you know, a deserted place on the highway and tying you up and just leaving you on the side of the road because oh, you have made such a mess, or oh you ate my dinner or something along those lines. So yeah, I think everyone can relate to that. But no matter how frustrated you get with your pets, sometimes there is always that feeling, well, this is love and this is part of the family. I cannot and will not hear anything against you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we've because they do become an extension of the family. You forget that they're not people, they're they're they're animals. Yeah, and so sometimes they don't quite understand I think they really. When we came to the directing of this episode, showing it from the dog's perspective was very important because this dog wasn't being disobedient by choice. It just had to be rescued. First and foremost. You never had the privilege of being taught anything. The Simpsons family aren't exactly the greatest teachers in the world. There are an erratic wild bunch, so he's living in chaos, so he's going to be a chaotic dog. And I just think that he didn't understand. He was just being himself and seeing it from the dog's perspective. Seeing that he didn't understand what was going on. Great payoff at the end when he actually understands the word sit. But I think it was very important to show this dog isn't being naughty because he wants to be naughty. He just doesn't get it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you can't blame a dog for being a dog, no, And yeah, I think that's something the episode to really put forward. Of course, you can have obedience training and all that kind of stuff. I think it's often quite necessary to do that kind of thing. I mean, but if you don't want your animal sort of running while if also if you don't want it to be a danger to itself and others, but also be careful how you train, because you know this is a member of your family. Treat it with the love and respect, but also, yeah, and a little bit of discipline as well. Yeah, let's maybe not go to the extent that I'm sorry.
Speaker 5: What's it, Emily Willthrop.
Speaker 3: I was confused because you've got Emily Wilthrop and Winthrop and Sylvia.
Speaker 5: Winfield Sorry it's Winthrop, yeah, and Winfield. So Susie Winfield is the neighbor next door saying get your dog out of my pool.
Speaker 3: Before I realized, let's talk about some Tracy Ullman stuff. Tracy Ellmand voices both of these characters. There's a whole lot of Tracy Ellmand stuff that we're going to go into in this episode. But when I first heard that character, Sylvia, the snooty neighbor, I'm like, why didn't this person become a recurring character. Why don't we get more of this person? Why don't we get the missus deegal of a Springfield that's a gremlin's reference if in case you didn't get it, you know, the snooty next door neighbor's like, I just like your dog. It's ripping up my pras as AliOS or something along those lines. I think that'd be a great adversary for someone like Home or any any member of the Springfield community. And then discover oh, she's voiced by the special guest.
Speaker 5: And who wasn't invited back. But I think as we'll get into in a few moments, it'll all makes sense as to why she didn't come back.
Speaker 3: That's correct to quote a song. Money changes every day, but I thought Tracy Onmand did a fantastic job voicing both of these characters had a real ball with it.
Speaker 5: But before we get into our full review here of Butt snug Gets an Fforts, want to throw a shout out to all the people who have joined us on Patreon this week. Thank you for your support. You'll get your shout out on the episode at the end of the month. The community podcast you're forthing a discount, and we're very excited because we're about to launch our Bob's Burgers podcast on our Patreon. So if you want to hear Guy and Dana talk about Bob's Burgers, you can find that on our Patreon. You get access to every one hundred hours of bonus podcasts for just five dollars on our Patreon. So if you do have a spare five dollars in your pocket, we'd appreciate if you can support us on Patreon and get access to one hundred hours of bonus content. Take it out of your pocket, put it in our pocket, put it out pocket indeed, yes so, but you'll get something in return back you've got a lot in return, so I've got to hear my note. So why bars dog gets in there? And as I mentioned earlier, we recently lost Jet and I felt like this was the episode their best pay tribute to Pumba as we called him, because I think this is the story that's driven more by the raw of motion than the gags, as I was saying, and I think it's important for TV comedies to occasionally have these episodes, particularly sitcoms. This shows the sitcoms simply be animated or not, and you have to have these episodes that we used always refer to the most very special episodes. I wouldn't call this a very special episode, but it's an episode that relies more on the emotion behind the characters, and it just adds layers to these character because in sitcoms, you're going to want to believe in these characters, gonna want to relate to these characters, and these are the episodes that help you relate to the more. I think by this point, but we're still seen as a little Brady kid, but you can't help as a dog lover or just a human being in general watching this episode and not be just taken aback by the emotional ending just before the sadest Little Helper actually does follow the orders. When Bart thinks he's going to lose his best friend, you tear up every time.
Speaker 3: Well, it's one of the most primal things is missing someone. For him to say, I'm going to miss you, it's like, holy moly, Yeah, they're not going to be in your life anymore. Yeah, that's very, very saddening and very emotional. Yeah, you're right, and you're correct on what you're saying about. Yeah, a show, particularly yeah, or especially like a sitcom needs episodes like this to sort of deepen your emotional connection to the characters. I mean, of course, with a situation comedy, you're going to get him in the door with the gags. This is a family. It's oh, it's dysfunctional. Oh, it's chaotic. Ah, there are in each other's throats just like us. And once you've sort of broken the ice with the audience by creating that bond of like, oh, we're laughing at them and with them, that's when you can pull a little bit of an emotional sucker punch and go, well, guess what, you know, you're laughing at these folks. But you know a lot of a lot of the shit they're going through, you've probably gone through it as well, or you will go through it. You walk away from an episode like bats against and f going yeah, as we said, we laugh about it, but yeah, they're just like me. And you enjoyed the show more as a result, and I think you enjoyed the humor a bit more as a result as well.
Speaker 5: You mentioned the line before, I'm going to miss your boy. I thought we'd be friends forever. So I'm watching this last night. Kids are at my parents' places on a Tuesday, Nicholas in bed. She's going a bit early. She starts work early in Melbourne, so I'm sitting there by myself. Normally that's where Jet would be with me. And it was that scene, I think in particular, where I'm going to like it just like it hit me and I start like Sally crying. It was almost like this episode helped. It's like, it's weird how we come to terms with my grief of losing Jet. It's try trying to cry it.
Speaker 3: Oh man, fuck all right, Bud. It was hard. It is hard, man. I mean, yeah, you pour a lot of your heart and your soul into your pets. Man. I mean, and they're there for you. I mean they give you unconditional love, which is a rare and wonderful thing to have in this life. There are many many times in my I mean, I'm not a dog guy, as you know, I'm a cat man. I've been very fortunate in my adult life over the last couple of decades to have the wonderful Jackson the cat. He was fantastic, the beautiful Charlie girl. And now I've got Basie, the black cat. Basie, God love him, friendly dude, a lot of personality, dumb as a fucking stump. Where where'd you get him from? My lovely friends Mark and Nats. When Charlie passed away and I was singleer these days like go, I need someone in the house. They I cannot be in that house by himself. Things will fall apart. They had a friend with a farm. The farm had a cat. The cat had kittens, and yeah, one day they rocked her and they well, first of all, they gaged by andres said we to be interested in another cat. I said, of course, I love cats. I came over with this little, tiny, little black furry number popped him in my lap, and he's been there for the last seven or eight years. Yeah, yeah, but as I said, complete dummy. And there are times when I will get incredibly frustrated him and sort of don't be under my feet. It's not that hard. Say thank you for your food. Don't jump up on the bench and eat that chicken that I turned my back by five seconds and you're ready the chicken that I've gotta got instantly, Instantly, it will be like, oh man, you're a cat dad, don't don't be yelling at your furry son. And yeah. An internet friend of mine recently wrote a lovely tribute to he had a tough run. He had two cats pass away in like the space of Fortnite. They've got a few cats in the house. He wrote a lovely tribute to it. But one of the lines that really stuck out me is like, I hope we did right by you. And that's it's incredible responsibility you take on. I mean, we talk about pen ownership like it's you've got a dog, you got a cat, whatever. It's a big responsibility and it does a lot of things for you and your family. So you know, it's not just thrown out a handful of kibble and you know, trying to shit on the rug like, I don't know, man, It's it's a tough one for Jet.
Speaker 5: He was so unwell for the last like twelve months. I felt like my whole life evolved around keeping him alive almost and I live with just his anxiety. If every time i'd leave the house, I'd almost I'd have this fear of opening the front door and hit because you have seizure sometimes, and luckily I was around most of the time to prevent them from happening. But I had this fear of coming home to him being dead. Esficially right, so it was the right time he was just he'd had enough. But I almost feel it's guilt because now I feel somewhat free, and it feels weird because I miss him, but it's good for me emotionally.
Speaker 3: That he's not here. No, No, that makes a lot of sense, it really does. I mean, of course you're going to feel some degree of guilt or feeling like a sense of relief. It doesn't diminish the life that your had for him, of course it doesn't. But yeah, you just have to learn how to sort of reframe that and they're like, well, yeah, now they're at rest.
Speaker 5: Yeah, because I just try and be strong for the kids, particularly Alien. It's hit him, mab, so you're just watching this that of sort of just tear it up. And I just went, ah, I think it's time that I can now agrieve.
Speaker 3: Sure, yeah, absolutely, have you thought about getting another animal?
Speaker 5: Well sometimes patrons asked about this and not like the idea is it came straight into my mind, But I went, I don't think it's the right time yet. I don't want to make a I don't want to jump into it and go, oh, now I've got responsibility again. I think I'm just gonna have to enjoy being able to just I said to Nicola. We drove and picked up Jet. Hey got cremated here with us on the table, still in his box, but we got him. We picked up from Bendy Go. So well, for the first time, we're able to get in the car and say where do you want to go? Kids, And we'll come back whenever we feel like it. Yeah, because we always had to come back for Jet because we couldn't. He used to fret if we would leave for too long. He fret with the kids weren't here, so we got be able to do anything. So I think I said to Nicola. Kids keep saying we get a kit and can we get another dog? And I'm like, we will eventually. Right now, Mom and Dad just need to enjoy being able to just go in and create memories and adventures of course.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, I think the other important thing to recognize don't think anyone who has had a pet will understand this is and particularly you know, if you've got a family, if you've got kids, introducing a pet in the family, it's a great sort of lesson about responsibility and a great lesson about life and death as well. Yeah, I mean, it's of course it's sad for Elliott and Holly that their beloved dog is gone, but it's also an understanding. It's like, well, life's a finite thing, man, you know, And this is not to diminish the love that everyone had for Jet or any pet that anyone has, but they also provide a lesson in that regard as like it's almost like a test run for when someone human life passes away, if you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm glad Elliott was old enough and Holly was old enough as well, just but she didn't quite know what was going on, because I think once he was gone, I don't think she quite realized, oh, he's not coming back where Alliott?
Speaker 3: It hit him hard. Yes, yeah, but I'm glad.
Speaker 5: It's old enough to sort of understand it, because we could explain it to him, we could prepare him for it, because I think being younger and all of a sudden your dog's gone, you're not really understanding why that would be harder to well.
Speaker 3: Sure. Growing up, when I was a kid, we had a couple of beagles, and I think one got to a very ripe old age. But also you know, by the end, as you said with Jed, you've lost a few steps, and you know it's hard for you to do everything like that. I remember just spending like an afternoon after school in the garage with Bonnie the beagle, lying in her box, finally hard to breathe, and I don't know, it was a real bracing sort of lesson in it's coming, Oh it's coming. Yeah, And I felt this incredible complex surge of emotions, which it was tough to deal with at the time, but I think was a valuable in a lot of ways. So yeah, look, it's a cliche when someone has gone. It is like, you know, don't be said that they're gone. To be happy that they lived. They taught you a lot and they gave you a lot. Yeah, and it's okay to be sad. Oh yeah, of course it is.
Speaker 5: I kept saying to Aliot, if you want to cry, cry, it's not gonna be embarrassed by crying, Like, it's okay, and.
Speaker 3: You've got a burkely good reason to do so bad. Yeah.
Speaker 5: And when he was at school, apparently he got upset and his friends were like, no, it's okay because you've got like embarrassed. He was crying from of his friends, but his friends, but no, no, no, it's okay.
Speaker 3: That's good.
Speaker 5: That's great that his friends were supportive like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: But yeah, as a dog out to particularly someone who just lost their dog, I thought this this episode particular, was a real emotional rollercoaster. He went from its like there was anger with the Emily Winthrop episode character, there was sadness, there was happiness, there was so much to go through, just a real role coaster. On thoughts episode, I thought John Vidde did a fantastic job of really intertwining the two stories as well, because I'm both emotion driven. But the use of in particular of the prop of the quilt. I thought he the quilt played a key role in both stories, but in an organic way that felt natural. Took him back, because Seinfeld, there's no for trying to intertwine all the stories. It seems it does it as well most sitcoms do it, but I thought it just felt so natural in this one here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a better example of that kind of thing, because it seems like from the beginning that it's open season on just about anything in the Simpson household. Nothing is safe. You know, you get a little frustrated, like, ah, man, I wanted to read the paper and now it's got dog's lobber all over it all. You know half what does he say? I think the first lightest, not the sports section. Yeah, you get frustrated. Oh yeah, your breakfast gets eaten off the off the kitchen table or whatever. It's like, ah, god, damn it. But you know, you can just easily pick up an egg McMuffin on the way to work. But I loved how they sort of ramped it up over the course of the episode. Home has forked out a lot of money for these assassins, and they immediately get chewed to bits. But yeah, the whole thing with the with the quilt, Yeah, and how much it's a part of Marge's family history and how she hopes it's going to be a tradition moving forward on that. It's like, oh no, this is a Chekhov's quilt. You're introducing the first Dad is going to get fucked up in the third, maybe even in the second act. But I must admit when when it happened, I mean, it's like, ah, God, damn it, sanders all out. But because you know, we pour so much of ourselves into stuff, don't we, And yeah, physical objects, but I don't just mean like stuff like that. I'm also mean our animals as well. I mean, of course they they love us, man, because we feed them. But you have to have something that you've poured so much of your emotion into to have it torn apart. It really does set up a bit of dramatic tension, doesn't it. Okay, yeah, look a dog as a member of the family, but it's also a dog. And if it's going to be just doing this all the time, what kind of bleed on effect is that going to have? Is this going to create tension in the household? Is it? You know we're going to be snapping in each other because of you know? Yeah. So yeah, it's a funny episode in a lot of ways. As we said, not really joke driven everything like that. The humor emerges more from the situations and the frustration they're feeling. It's also got a lot of emotions, also kind of got genuine dramatic stakes in a lot of ways.
Speaker 5: Well, I wanted to touch on that because when you watch this as a kid, you kind of get annoyed that Homer and Marge are willing to give sat this a little helpful away.
Speaker 3: You think, how can you do? This is your dog?
Speaker 5: But as you're mentioning, they're the emotional connection and the history of this quilt. I think it's fully justified that at this point margin Homer, this dog clearly needs a different house. It can't be here anymore. It's obviously bored, it's not happy, it's why is it doing these things?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 5: He obviously loves Bart, but he can't have this shit constantly getting destroyed. So I think having the quilk get destroyed was the a perfect explanation of justification for Marjin h it wanted to get rid of it. Also, it raises the stakes of the episode as a viewer, because you're watching this going as a normal Simpsons episode.
Speaker 3: If they didn't put.
Speaker 5: The ad in the paper and have the potential new bio or new owner come and see him, then as a viewer you're probably going they're not really going to give him away. But as Homer says, we've got to commit. So having that guy come and Homer saying you picked up tomorrow, as a view you're going, oh fuck, oh, they're actually going through. Oh no, they're going to actually do this. What's art going to do here? Of course we get them Regulus miracle at the end, which is kind of whatever, but it was a very a very nice moment of anything. But I just think having adding that extra layer of having the owner, the new owner come and into the into the picture. As a view you're watching his going oh no, this is serious. They're going to actually get rid of this dog.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And to make that potential new owner not necessarily a villain, but someone who's not going to be like, oh you lovely new dog. I'm going to be pampering with It's like, no, there's dog's got to be pulling a fucking plows. Yeah, it's like, oh damn, not exactly the life that you're hopeful for, sounds little helper. Yeah, the court is very very important. The cult is kind of key to this episode. If it had just been this dog ripped up my dope new sneakers.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it can't. It can't be anything. Just can't be just a thing that he bought. Has to be something that means something in history. With the quilt there, it's something you can't get back because you can. You can go buy another pair of assassins, you can go buy another cookie.
Speaker 3: In I mean no you can't. But you can't.
Speaker 5: Well you can, we're gonna get that touch on that in a few moments, but you can't. You can't get back that quilt. So four figure discount is brought to you by our incredible supporters on Patreon. With your support, we're able to hire editors, purchase new equipment, and everything else that goes into producing top quality shows. Each and every week, our supporters get early in add free access to every show, new episodes of Tales of Futurama Talking Sciefild and Speaking of the Heel each month, as well as access to exclusive Facebook and Discord communities. So go ahead and support the show today for as little as just one dollar at patreon dot com slash four figured discount. And I think watching this episode as a kid and watching it as an adult, particularly as a parent of a child who has a dog, well had a dog, you should say you watched it for a two different perspective. So as I was saying, I always really got annoyed when Marginhommer did what they were doing, But you're watching this going it's fully justified, and I don't think I'm rewatching now. You never get the sense that Marge and Homer want to get rid of him. Oh no, they don't want to do it, but they feel like it just has to be done, like they're gonna have to be the bad guys because this can't continue. Even Homer when he says pick him up tomorrow, it doesn't sound like he wants to do it. Yeah, because at the end of the day, he's the family dog. He's not just Bart's dog. And even Lisa has her moments here where she defends him at the end, and she has the big spiel and which we'll touch on as well, But I don't feel like Lisa did that spiel to prevent them from getting rid of centers to help straight away and give him the chance to pass school first, because she necessarily wanted a kicking for her She could see how much it meant to Bart. Yeah, absolutely, and she knew that Bart wasn't going to be able to say in a way that was going to get through to Homer and Marge to convince them. He wasn't gonna be convincing enough, so she used her intellect, I guess you could say, to say, look, this is why we need to keep and just give him one more chance. And she won margin Homer over Bart as well, which I think was a really nice mo because even at the end she says she go play with him, go fuck with him, don't do whatever. She throws the ball, he doesn't do chase it. She sort of mumbles and walks off us like she loves the dog. But this is this is Bart's best friend.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, And I think something else to point out is that I get the feeling that the family would probably tolerate Sanders Leelper's kind of indiscretions and misdemeanors if they were relatively low steaks or low scale sitting on the floor or something, oh, ripping up the paper or occasionally pinching a sausage off off your breakfast plate or whatever. It's like, dog's gonna dog.
Speaker 5: But I do think he was particularly more dog than normal in this one. He just think he got I understand that they needed for the story, but it felt like, Oh, he's all of a sudden a really naughty dog.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's really misbehaved.
Speaker 5: He's never really been he's been an idiot dog. He's never really been a mischievous dogh man.
Speaker 3: That's what. Yeah, for the second, the story that it worked occasionally got to tweak a few knobs for the sake. Yeah, story. But let's touch on.
Speaker 5: We were mentioning earlier Tracy ol when she plays this Windfield as well as Emily Winthrop. So, Emily Willinthrop, I've just got here.
Speaker 3: She is a terrible human being. Well, yeah, this is gonna hit close to the bone for you. I think this particular stage of the proceedings. Yeah, I mean, you're missing your pal, and anyone in mistreats a dog is going to be.
Speaker 5: Like, especially someone who's supposed to be helping. But it's just that cruel to be kind mentality, which I compared it to. We didn't have for Holly but for Elliott because we were just new parents. We didn't really know what we're doing. Nikola wanted to hire a sleep nanny, right, and a sleep nanny was the He was in the cotton now room and she goes, let him cry, stand outside the door, let him cry for three minutes, and then go in, just tap him on the back so he stops crying, and then walk out again and wait for another three minutes. And I remember I tried that. I'm sitting there and he's crying. He's crying, and I'm going, you know what, this probably does work, but it's not how.
Speaker 3: I wanted to do. It doesn't work for you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so I'm saying, you probably get results with this, but I'm not a robot, and I can't just stand here because this is having like I see, it was bothering Nick And I said, this is going to leave emotional scarring on me that I feel guilt for. And I don't like this. And we found something that worked for us. So what she's doing here with the choke chain. Whatever, I despise it, I don't agree with it. It probably gets results, but there are other ways.
Speaker 3: Sure, yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 5: But if you just want to get you know, if you I'm not saying that you're a bad dog owner or you know you're a bad parent, but if you are able to switch off and put emotions aside, then you can get results quicker. But sometimes the emotional scar that they can leave not for not necessarily everybody gets emotionally scar work. But I knew, I knew me personally, I would live with guilt forever if I'd have sat there listening to him cry it out.
Speaker 3: Of course, No that we horses for courses, man, I mean everyone's got their own way of doing things. And yeah, I think there's certainly the tide is turning when it comes to dog training or animal training. I think you used to have a lot of like I'll slap some sense of them, or you know, use the choke chain or anything like that. Sure, there are some people who probably still do that, and as you said, it probably does get results. It speeds up the process a little bit more. But yeah, I think you have more people are coming around to your way of thinking in terms of like, is it really worth it for how I'm gonna feel, how the animal's gonna feel. We'll just we'll take the scenic route to get there.
Speaker 5: Yeah, a bit of an adventure.
Speaker 3: A bit, it's an adventure, it certainly is.
Speaker 5: Before we dove fully into Emily Winthrop's let's discuss as Tracy Olman's connection to the show in general. So we've all heard the Tracy Almond shorts. That's where the Simpsons started. There were little shorts that appeared on the Tracy Olman Show, a sketch comedy.
Speaker 3: Show, sketch comedy show in the late.
Speaker 5: Eighty seven, I believes on the Simpsons debut on the show anyway.
Speaker 3: Produced by James L. Brooks. Was it really yeah? Yeah?
Speaker 5: Oh I did not realize that. So that was the connection to the Simpsons. Okay, I believe, So let me just triple check that.
Speaker 3: Sorry, man, I know.
Speaker 5: That we're Tracy Ulman Show. But so yeah, but all those shorts, they've never been officially released. I'm sure me there's some sort of copyright there, but they do appear on YouTube, and one day you're not gonna sit down and we're going to review those for our Patriot, Okay, because I've actually ever sat down watched them all either. I've seen maybe League five, and I think there's about fifty of them. So we'll sit down and we'll review those one day. Sure, happy to do so because they look horrific. But you know, you gotta. But that's just you know, they that's the start of the Simpsons. It's part of history.
Speaker 3: Oh, very much. So, yeah, I mean, yeah, Tracy Ollman's an interesting kind of phenomenon. Really. I mean, I remember, I have no memories of her at all. We spent a bit of time in England when I was growing up, particularly around the eighties. My sister was living over there. We would go over and visit her occasionally. And Tracy Ollmen was very very big in sketch comedy on British TV. One show in particularly was called Three of a Kind. It was her, the comedian Lenny Henry and someone else. But yeah, it was clear that Tracy Olmen was kind of like the breakout star of that, someone who was very very versatile, had great charm. You're familiar with Saturday Live, of course, and Gilda Radner didn't. Yeah, yeah, very much like an English version of Gilda Radner had sort of an impish charm, instant likability and also just multi talented. So and people clearly recognize this. On the other side of the pond, James or Brooks recognized this and basically fashioned this show around her on the up and coming or just recently introduced Fox Network. So and you know, she was acting alongside the likes of Meryl Streep as well. I mean, people just recognized, oh, this is someone who's incredibly talented and not necessarily can do just about anything, but it's up for it just about anything and adds something to everything. So and yeah, but I think they realized, oh, we've got to add things to the Tracy Ormand show. It's you know, she'll do her thing, She'll do her thing with her cast. Dan See was a member of the cast, Julie and Julie Canner. Yeah. Yeah, so Brooks has clearly got his sort of talent pool. But they're like, oh, we need things to break it up a little bit. And that's where the Simpson shorts come in, which was a pretty out there concept really when you think about it. Well, yeah, but it seemed like Fox was kind of throwing everything at the wall. See what works. Yeah, I mean ABC, NBC and CBS. The three existing networks had their own voices and their own tones of the kind of shows that they made, but they were all doing pretty much their own thing. And I think Fox recognized we're gonna have to shake things up a little bit and try a few different things and see what works. Not everything did, but a lot of things did. And toilet humor no big what we're still talking about it this day. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, one show that I have to revisit because I was not allowed to watch it as a kid.
Speaker 3: Married with children.
Speaker 5: When I saw it as a teenager, I went, this is fun. But I kind of see it as almost like the live action version of like a Family Guy, where I can probably enjoy it in small dat. I don't think you can binge married with children.
Speaker 3: No, I don't think so.
Speaker 5: It seems like you're weekly dose of just crude toilet jokes from the crowd, just your dose of but also put together with some skill with fantastic with very talented people like Caesh.
Speaker 3: Absolutely. Yeah. So.
Speaker 5: According to Ken Eston, the co creator of the Tracy Ullman Show, Tracy was not fond of any of the bumpers because of the Simpson shots because she didn't think that there were any quality or the quality for her show. They think why they looked they didn't look good enough in nineteen ninety one. I'm assuming after this episode aired, because they would have recorded this in nineteen nineteen, would air in March of ninety one. But in ninety one, she filed a lawsuit against twentieth Century Fox, claiming that she was owed some of the profits from Simpsons merchandise, which her lawyers valued at about two point five million dollars, which inflation is abound five point seven million today.
Speaker 3: Tiny sum.
Speaker 5: Yeah, quite a bit of money. Yeah, I'm like, look, that's a lot. But in the grand scheme of things, the money that Simpsons would have been making twentieth Century Fox, I don't think it was that much money.
Speaker 3: Oh no, I think it's kind of chump change.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it sounds like a lot. But her case was based on the fact that she did actually sign a contract reportedly mere hours before she recorded the first episode of The Tracy Ulman Show that entitled her to five to ten percent of the net receipts of the merchandising and other profits from products or programs based on spin off characters, including animated characters, even if those characters were originated by others. So you read that contract and to go, well, how does she not win? She is one entitled to some money?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 5: How does this not work? And my only explanation could be that maybe Fox just could have for better lawyers.
Speaker 3: Quite possibly, Yeah, I mean, you do have Murdoch money behind you, and they tend to have their sharks.
Speaker 5: So yeah, because if I had a contract and it said those words, I would go, I think I'm in the right here.
Speaker 3: How could I not get money here?
Speaker 5: I think even if she doesn't get five million, she's entitled to something, you would think.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I mean the Simpsons became the Simpsons because of the Simpsons. Not necessary, I mean, but it had its launch pad on the Tracy Ullman Show.
Speaker 5: And she wasn't the only person that decided that, but she I'm pretty sure in her position she could have gone no, I would haven't bumpers if she wanted to, really wanted to put her foot down because it's her name on the shee. You can't have the Tracy Aulber Show without Tracy Oulmen correct. Yeah, So I think she deserved something and they invited you for this for this episode, and it's a show that the lawsuit happened and she lost and whatnot, Because it would have been nice to get more miss win firstess. And I think the would have been a fun dynamic there, even though it would have kind of felt kind of cliche. But The Simpsons is just based on stereotypes and cliches.
Speaker 3: Isn't it.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, absolutely, yeah, good missus Degle.
Speaker 3: That could have worked. Oh yeah, just the snooty person in the neighborhood. I mean, I'm sure the Simpsons has that, but yeah, like I love.
Speaker 5: Joy is kind of snooty, but she's not this kind of neighbor missus Degal snoody.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you need someone who's just an upper echelone of wealth and just wants to lord it over you. Thinks it makes them a better person as the result.
Speaker 5: Stop riding your skateboard on the sidewalk, Yes, and get off my property kind of thing.
Speaker 3: Very much. I get off my lown kind of person. Yeah, let's not too bad for Tracy Uelman. According to Wikipedia, which as we know, never lies, Tracy woman, Tracy Oulman has a net worth of something like eighty million pound. Yeah, she's Okay, she's just all right, she's doing okay for herself. Yeah, And I did read some things where it says she's not bitter anymore, and I thought, oh, that's good for her. Then you told me that, and I went, oh, into what if I had that amount of money, I would not be bitter, I'd be sweet.
Speaker 5: And I was watching some special study recently and it was one where she was doing like a flashback to the Tracy Ulman Show. And you've got the Tracy or you have the Tracy Ulman Show wiki page open there. I'm a huge fan of the logo. Just scroll down, see if you can see it. Oh yeah, Tracy yemen Show logo. It just epitomizes nineteen late nine eighties, early nineteen nineties.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, that logo.
Speaker 5: It's just an awesome logo.
Speaker 3: It's really good. Folks. If you want like thirty seconds of just boost, go to YouTube look up opening credits of Tracy Yulman Show. Because okay, it's got a great theme song as well, has it really? Oh yeah, put it on now. Yeah, I'll put it on right now. But again very late and late eighties energy. But it also feels like the pro to a Network's like, we're here, pay attention to us, but not in a in a kind of they're kind of way. It's more like, hey, this is funky and fun That's what the Simpsons was. Funky fresh.
Speaker 5: Yeah, funky, and the Simpsons was certainly fresh, particularly with the colors and whatnot, which is why Matt made them yellow. So when you're flicking through, well that's different. Yeah, that's you're right, yes, But hers Emily Winthrop, I thought the perfect villain this episode needed, and a great villain.
Speaker 3: I don't think it's.
Speaker 5: Talked about enough on The Simpsons because she is so unlikable.
Speaker 3: She's all cold, results driven process. Yeah, and reminded me of the Sleep Netty. She was very just to the point matter of fact that I went, how are you? Are you a robot? That person will probably say my results speak for themselves exactly right, and may were justify by saying I've got a lot of parents who were sleeping through the night. You know because of this, I've probably saved a lot of marriages. Yeah, and you know, uh, this Emily character probably feels the same way. It's like, you're going to have a bit of discomfort here, You're going to have some hurt feelings or whatever, but your dog is going to behave and you.
Speaker 5: As soon as he said that.
Speaker 3: You and everyone are going to be happier as a result.
Speaker 5: As soon as you said that, I just thought, I got hurt feelings whatever, some of those hurt feelings that doesn't comes straight right into my head every time. Do you have those moments where someone says a line and you instantly think of like a film quote or a song or something.
Speaker 3: The thing that always strikes me when I allude to hurt feelings, it's a terrific Robert Denara actually movie called Ronan. I don't know if you've ever heard of it, but I don't know of it. Yeah. Yeah, he's part of this criminal team that's pulling a heist. The one of the other members of the team says, oh, did you ever kill anybody? And DeNiro says, no, I hurt somebody's feelings once in twenty twenty five. That makes him history's greatest monster, that he's hurting someone's feelings. But it's a line that I was like, it's just a great badass. Lind was like, that's somebody's feelings once.
Speaker 5: Yeah, for me, sometimes Nicolall say what do you think about that? And I always go, now you know how? But yeah, Emily fantastic here and her delivery Tracey's of pull the bloody chain boy that haunts nineties kids, because watching that as a kid, you felt so bad, not just for the dog, but for Bart, because Bart was a child in a situation he had to follow instructions. He didn't want to be hurting his dogs. As soon as he chokes him, he apologizing you just you feel so sad.
Speaker 3: Sanders will help her, going, Wait a minute, why is why is my own Why is my friend hurting me? Yeah? Why is my friend hurting me?
Speaker 5: Because he doesn't get it. I'm gonna say he's not being naughty. He just doesn't understand why he's a dog.
Speaker 3: Yes, he is a dog. He is a dog indeed.
Speaker 5: But yeah, and just yeah, I thought missus midfas we said we would be a great cater, but she's just so despicable who seemed to thrive on the misery. But as we're saying, she is results driven and she is successful for a reason.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think I'm sure You've had other characters in the Simpsons or in animated shows, all shows in general, who they're really stealing steer into the heel turn with this kind of thing. They'll be someone who's like, you know what, I'm training this animal to be obedient, but I'm also really enjoying inflicting pain or inflicting discipline on them. There's no miniacal laugh or anything. No, no, no, she's just like, you know, cold clinical British. Donat does this remager anyone apparently quite inspired by she was a TV trainer so much, but a woman named Barbara Woodhouse.
Speaker 5: And also apparently the mannerisms of Margaret Thatcher.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, Oh yeah, I can see a bit of Maggie in there as well. But Barbara Woodhouse had a catchphrase, walkers when you were taking Yeah, I can imagine heavily saying that. Yeah. She became a bit of a cult figure because of that. You know, when it was ready to take the dog for a walk, walkers. You're people of a certain generation who, whenever they're taking out the dog for a walk, will say that. It was very ingrained into the end of the collective consciousness.
Speaker 5: Although I was kind of confused at the end when he successfully does it and she says, son of a bitch, I want to talk about it for a couple of reasons. The first reason being why she disappointed that he's successful.
Speaker 3: It was like she was She's not, She's not at all. Well, first of all, is the obvious thing about you know, a dog is a son of a bitch? Obviously, Yes, But how many times in how many sort of action movies or any movies have you had someone sort of happily calls him son of a bitch?
Speaker 5: See, I've always taken it the complete opposite way, is it to say, well, you son of a bitch?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: No, Often there's a bit of sort of grudging like it's like, oh, you're magnificent bastard. I mean, now I know what you're saying completely. Yeah, I've never taken it in that way because I've always disliked her. I just assumed the worst. Yeah, but it strikes me as Yeah, you'll often hear it's like or say, someone's got one over on you, but they've done it in such a smart way that you're kind of like, sort of a bitch. Oh yeah, it's a Dutch and Dylan don't hate each other. They're just kind of like bros who are also kind of rivals.
Speaker 5: Well, it's like in the Jordan documentary Hum and Larry Bird. So when someone's like like I hate you or something, Yeah, oh you you've pulled off.
Speaker 3: This magnificent coln. You've taken a bunch of money that, yeah, I can probably afford to lose. But still I don't like losing. Still I go to a Mary Effort son of a Bitch? Yeah, okay, what changes? That changes the tone at the end. They've always just been confused, why does she Why was she disappointed? But no, no, it's she's amazing. But it's a little bit of a rud pull as well as like, oh you think she's disappointed? But yeah, But like many great jokes, works on multiple levels, gives these guys a bit of an escape patch to say, son of a bitch on an animated family comedy.
Speaker 5: Which that's the other aspect of what to talk about.
Speaker 3: I remember this.
Speaker 5: I think it's the first time we hear the word bitch because I think where's the out splash more episode? Because he because.
Speaker 3: When Butt's going down after this, isn't it? Well?
Speaker 5: Season two is because when Butt's going maybe it's before this thing. Because when Marge paints mister Burns because it's when he's going down to Slagh says bitch and oh, but I think son of a bitch is it comes across harsh. Oh that's more of a bitch and is always like, oh, he's just a kid being a kid. But son of a bitch is like, oh, some of a.
Speaker 3: Bitch is designed primarily is an insult the bitch.
Speaker 5: Like I think most nineties kids have a memory of at least one of the adults in their life being bothered by hearing this woman say son of a bitch, because you just don't expect to hear it on the Simpsons. Well, yeah, but then that's when you pull the bar and you say, but a bitch is female dog mom, So is that is that technically there out? Then I guess that's their out, that's their escape patch. Yeah, she's a dog trainer and she's using a term about dog because bitch is one of those words where it's only a curse word depending on how it's used.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, absolutely, Yeah.
Speaker 5: So the kids are watching sound Lock Kids at the moment, and he says bitch a couple of times, and like he said, they all call f words. He's net work right, And he also they say shit a couple of times, and Elliot every time that's look at me, hey to say, and he's like, let's listen to it. It's almost like it's a it's okay. It's when you get to high school and your teacher uses the word shit or something and you go, oh.
Speaker 3: Oh, we can use these but growing up, no, that's just some insecure teacher. How do I relate? How do I be cool kids? How do I reach these kids? They drop a sword. I've spoken many times about watching movies with Bob and Margaret, and I'm just them being we don't care his kids, Let's just fill this kid's brain with whatever. But you know, it's like when you're watching a movie with your parents and all of a sudden, like an unexpected sex scene comes on or something like, oh, this is unpleasant for everybody. There was a Booby's look. I remember one time though, I was I'm pretty sure Bob and Margaret were not paying attention, but I was watching Commando. Okay, that's the anold schwartzon in the movie. And yeah, I don't think we were so much upset by the violence. But there's a bit where one of the henchmen is trying to come on to the female lead and she's not having any of it, and he sort of looks at her and said, forgive the foul language here folks writing a movie. He looks and said, you fucking whore, and then just sort of walks off. And I was kind of like, oh, my ears a bread because I'm the one who rented this and said watch command. And you know, meanwhile they're dropping some pretty harsh turns. And here Dad didn't look up from the racing guide. Mom's like witch down, got a wine. Mum's like she's pulling the bobby and saying I had no son. But yeah, that's that can be a little of pudding when you have that occasion when you when do you watch it with your parents in the room? Yeah? Yeah, absolutely yeah.
Speaker 5: Now we mentioned earlier, but the Lisa and Marge story, I just think it was al sort just a nice bonding story for them too as well. Like we had, the quill was a well used prop in this story for both stories, as we mentioned, But I just see it was nice seeing Lisa and Marge bond over being female Simpsons bvier. I guess yeah, because we don't really see Marge's BVS side, it's always March Simpson, so seeing her get to celebrate her family's history I thought was nice.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah. And also that thing, I mean, you have it every once in a while when someone just pulls, like a a cool thing that shows their talented or skilled in an area. I mean for March's to nonchalantly just flip up the needle threaded in mid air, it's kind of like, oh, you know, I'm good at this. I'm good at this. Yeah. It's an instant kind.
Speaker 5: Of believe me sewing and being able to so it is a talent that I wish I could have made. Oh yeah, absolutely, i'snbelievable. Yeah yeah, look at Pi's a button off my button for one Nichols, I'll fix the foy. I'm like, that's God's work.
Speaker 3: I should be able to do. Yeah. Oh yeah. There are so many things that I would tell young guy if I could turn back the clock, say four decades, go back and say fifteen year old guy. First of all, by applestock. But yeah, also learn how to sew. It's not that hard. Just put in the just put in the hours, you know, while you're watching TV, get a piece of cloth, get a needle and thread and just learn how to do it. Learn how to do it, learn how to do it, get some muscle memory. But yeah, something like that. Absolutely. But yeah, it's just a nice real shorthand gesture of because Lisa, you know, who was very sort of book smart and progressive in a lot of ways. She might think she doesn't do it in this episode, but you might think, oh, well, I've got a quil so this can seem kind of lame themard to be able to do it with flair and with style that makes you go, oh, okay, well, no, this is something we're paying attention to, and the person who does it is someone worth respecting. Yeah, I like the whole subplot or narrative thread, so to speak of the whole quilt thing.
Speaker 5: I mean the play Yeah, thanks man, it was gonna be a drive.
Speaker 3: I'm like knowledge that. Yeah, the role that it played absolutely Yeah. But the way it brought these two people together the inside, it gave you into the into the movie family. I mean, not a whole lot, but you know, it just adds something to the overall yeah, greaterst scheme of things. And I don't want to jump on favorite moments here, but in a few moments we'll get to it. Yeah, but it certainly culminates in one of my favorite moments in the episode, and maybe, look, I'll be hard press to say one of my favorites of the series, but I think it's a really really good lesson and summed up in a really interesting.
Speaker 5: Ending to I wanted to touch on it anyway, so I wanted to discuss It's almost like a a strength through adversity ending, isn't it.
Speaker 3: It's making lemons out of lemonade? Yeah? Sorry, yeah, elements walker, excuse me flip that reverse? Yes?
Speaker 2: So or.
Speaker 5: That four figure discount is brought to you by our incredible supporters on Patreon. With your support, we're able to hire editors, purchase new equipment, and everything else that goes into producing top quality shows. Each and every week. Our supporters get early and add free access to every show, new episodes of Tales of Futurama, Talking sci Fild, and Speaking of the Heel each month, as well as access to exclusive Facebook and Discord communities. So go ahead and support the show today for as little as just one dollar at patreon dot com slash fourthing a discount. I was going to say that, you know, you can't get the quilt back. Some things you can't fix, but we can sit here and we can mope about it, or we can power through. And she starts her own quilt. It would have maybe been nice for her to offer Marshal chance to add a patch to it as well. They both sort of start the quilt together.
Speaker 3: Would have been and look that may well happen. It could have been happening five minutes after the end of this episode. Yeah, but honestly, this feels like the kind of thing you'd put as your I don't know if we'd really do it in Australia, but so they certainly do in the States with ther high school yearbook and you put a quote in under your photo.
Speaker 5: Yeah, for Lisa, they do in the States because Millhouse wrights see you in the car. Well, of course, yeah, well that's why I say you're doing in Australia. Sorry, apologize, we do. Well, we did it when I was in high school.
Speaker 3: We did do it.
Speaker 5: It was they called their end of year flotsam. It was called it caught a flotsam. What the hell Australia's weird word sometimes anyway.
Speaker 3: But honestly, what Lisa says. It's one thing to be a link in the chain, it's another to start your own. That's a great quote, right, that's a great quote, honestly, words to live by. So if you're a young person and you listen to the show, take that one on board. Tell them guys centure.
Speaker 5: I've just googled the word flotsam and it says, according to the Dictionary, the wreckage of a ship or it's cargo found floating or washed upon the sea. So yeah, flotsam and jetsam. So why would we call it a flotsam? We called a flotsam end of your flotsam?
Speaker 3: How biz that?
Speaker 5: But you're right, though, that quote is something to live by, and we're touching on it before we hit record. Lisa can be very annoying at times. Right, she usually has a good message, but usually the way she communicates said message comes across as obnoxious and well beyond her years, to the point where it's like you're a kid trying to be an adult. This just felt like a child who was beyond her years. But she still felt like a kid saying it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well, it felt like she had a lot a great deal of emotional intelligence as well as you know, book smarts. Yeah, I think this is the way that Lisa was initially sort of designed and depicted in the show as, if not necessarily the moral center of the Simpson family, then someone who is a bit of a grounding influence despite being a little girl. The characters and their best and worst traits have been sort of elevated and heightened alone the years, you know, to the point now where we're talking about season twenty and it's kind of like there's no sort of emotion there really anymore. It's just's what's funny, there's not really any emotional underpending to it. It's like home Home is a dumb ass. Where is he in this? You see? I mean he does silly, impulsive things like he well, he's oh my god, those shoes. I've got to have those shoes. We can mean that we can all relate to that shit. Yeah, I mean, and he's just not necessarily the brightest thing. But you know, it's still something that he does.
Speaker 5: A bit of a spoiler in my notes for that particular scene, I think I've got something on the lines of, oh, this is what you call selfish Homer just buying a pair of shoes.
Speaker 3: Wait to get to season eighteen. H that's right, yeah, yeah, or Bart's a bratt.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but as we said at the end of this episode, he's a kid. Of course he was going to lose his best friend, and that particularly as I said, that moment where he says, I'm going to miss your boy. I thought we'd be friends forever.
Speaker 3: It's like, oh man, yeah, yeah, but yeah in this episode, and I think in the early seasons of the show, these are very very relatable people, very relatable characters. With the dial turned up to maybe about three or four, it's like, you're a little bit exaggerated, but oh shit, we've all been there, right, And then you get to layer episodes. Let's crank that doll. Let's crank that doll. Let's crank that dial until you know there's no dial anymore. You're in a spinal tapping the jet buttons. Please go to eleven. Yes.
Speaker 5: I always want to touch on the parodies as well, So we get an et parody here with the fingers.
Speaker 3: We get predator. Yeah. I wasn't. I read someone was like, hey, they're taking a predator And.
Speaker 5: This was Friday in the thirteenth. The music was getting me thrown it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's like, yeah, but apparently you know when it switches to dog vision or animal vision, what do you hear this sort of yeah, which is and whenever you get predator vision in the Predator movies, it just wasn't was that fat? Yeah, it wasn't really that sidebar. I don't know if we're allowed to do this on them, the new and new and improved Full Finger dis Gun. There was a trailer at this morning. Apparently there are two new Predator movies coming out this year. Well, okay, the last one was Prayed, wasn't it Yeah, which I enjoyed. Yeah, and these two a review of Prey on our Patreon Yeah, yeah, these two new ones are directed by the same guy I did Pray. There's one coming out called Predator Badlands. But this one is called Predator Killer of Killers, and it's anime and as bloody as hell. The trailers on YouTube now check it out. Check that out.
Speaker 5: All right, So before we get into our review, there's a couple of things I want to touch on. Assassins right now. Assassins to me, everyone remembers the Assassins, they can't quite remember which episode it's from. They just remember that they get eaten by the dogs. So maybe you can put two and two together. But the assassins, for some reason, they don't play a huge role in the episode. They gone once they get eaten. It's like, oh, for some reason, in my mind, they were the reason he gets home once to get rid of him.
Speaker 3: But it wasn't.
Speaker 5: It was the giant cooking. But so he eats his assassins, and the assassins is almost like the first nail in a coffin, right, But they seem so unnecessary, but would absolutely dominate in twenty twenty five because I see people just we have no money, but for some reason, young people still have money to spend on useless shit. And I think the assassins just seem so unnecessarily useless. When it comes to shoes all the extras, you think, why do we need all this stuff? But I'd want to because it's just I want to be part of the club.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, and it's also a real yolo thing, that thing you were talking about. About. You know, no one's got any money. It's like, well, look, I want to be able to afford to retire, I might as well dress well now, yeah, and I might as well go on holiday. Now.
Speaker 5: I was a big fan of the join the Conspiracy tagline because it just makes you, it's mystique. You're in with the in crowd. You're in with the in crowds. You want, oh, you want to be part of the in crowd? Join the conspiracy, mate?
Speaker 3: Sure? Absolutely. Yeah. The kind of shoes that have just got everything built into them. What is it like a pedometer and so.
Speaker 5: It's it's Valco straps, water pump in the tongue, built in reflective sidewalls, and a little vanity license plates.
Speaker 3: A little short had a pedometer, Maybe it did.
Speaker 5: Maybe I missed that one. Yeah, but the little.
Speaker 3: Vanity plates. That's hilarious, so good. There's all a lot bit ned who you know, you tend to think of, like, well, shouldn't he be giving this money to the church. He's going to treat himself a little bit as well. It's like everyone's in on assassin.
Speaker 5: Sometimes you have to treat yourself. It's just sometimes I'll talk about that when we get to that metical. I've got some notes on that as well. But apparently these assassins have become a thing of legend in the sneaker collector world, many comparing the design of them to an actual pair of sneakers from the early nineties, the Nike Air Trainer Sports Classic or something. But yeah, the Nike Airtrainer shoes which were released just prior to this episode. So maybe they based the design on that.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I was getting a very Nike feel off them. I mean, I'm not sure if it's around their course a Jordan time, do you think, well, yeah, that's what they are. They're Nicare Air Jordan's.
Speaker 5: Okay, so they're Jordan's. Yeah, but the maybe not. I'm not too sure. But all I know is that shoes, man, they collect the world. It's a big deal. Oh yeah, if you're in that world.
Speaker 3: I was about to say, oh, it's a bit of a subculture. No, it's a culture and a gentlemine thing. Yeah.
Speaker 5: We've got friends that are willing to drop like a thousand dollars in a pair of shoes and they don't even open them. They just leave them when they leave while they open them, they leave them on a shelf with the tag. And I'm thinking, okay, Wonder Rock and wonder Stock. Yeah, if you've got the money to do it. It's almost like a waving your dick around and kind of thing for me, Like, it's you've got to have money to be able to collect these things, unless you're using all of your money to collect these things.
Speaker 3: That's true.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, it's a very doggy dog words you'd find like Pokemon. Pokemon cards are a big thing at the moment. Have you seen all these videos of people trying to empty at the Pokemon card machines at supermarkets and whatnot.
Speaker 3: I have not seen this video. Yeah.
Speaker 5: So people are like lining up and they have machines that they restock at night, and you buy the Pokemon cards from them. It's almost like a vending machine, right, And people are going there and dropping you know, five grand and on nothing but Pokemon cards so that they can own all the cards. And people are having all out wars for these cards because they can flip them and make their money back.
Speaker 3: One of the best advertising or marketing slogans that was ever done is got to catch them all. Oh, unbelievable, unbelievable. I mean we were talking about Nike and Nike's got just do it, which I think is a really good slogan. Nike does some fantasy, but got to catch them all.
Speaker 5: That's the mecha mate. It's catchy, but it's also telling me I've got to catch them all. What have I do?
Speaker 3: We want to? We want to, We want a slogan that's catchy. Can we use the word catch.
Speaker 5: But Judy Wright I was talking to her last night. She does custom shoes.
Speaker 3: Say who's Judy right? Judy Right?
Speaker 5: She is the owner of sq Customs, an Instagram page. She has made genuine, screen accurate replicas of assassins and she's now got them available for pre order and for the first one hundred people who pre order them, she's doing for one hundred and twenty five dollars. Moly, so get in early if you want to be you're going to be follow her channel and order for one hundred and twenty five dollars, which is pretty cheap.
Speaker 3: Do we use our promo code four finger discount?
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 3: I just saw it and I was like, that's cool.
Speaker 5: And we're going to be getting her on our community podcast in the month to talk about them, and she's gonna be sending us a pair of assassins, so, oh my god, we're gonna feel special in our assassins for like one h or Yeah. No, we're either left foot genuinely one each well they have family played saying Dando and guard.
Speaker 3: Oh that'd be cooldn't it. Judy, do your thing, Do your thing, Judy. So yeah, Well I'm looking forward to talking to Judy Man so.
Speaker 5: Follow her on Instagram. It's sq Underscore Customs. You can find a link for that description of this podcast. But it's now time for favorite moments. My favorite your first.
Speaker 3: Moment when we were talking about Sylvia Winfield earlier, not to Emily win Robert, Sylvia win Field, Homer refers to as an old battle axe.
Speaker 5: That's a great one of my favorite bits that that Neil Ever did on Conan, Because my wife what a battle axe?
Speaker 3: Not Norm?
Speaker 5: So Norm what I think of Neil Norm Norman Donald. It's like, my wife, what a battle axe? And Conda just like battle axe?
Speaker 4: This his battle axe.
Speaker 3: It's just a it's a great insult.
Speaker 5: Particularly Yeah, it's like it's not a swear word, but it's just what a what a battle axe? Look, no one's called their wife. That's is nineteen fifty two, I think says it's a great term battle axe.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've just written down Tracy Ormond exclamation point yeah, what a lady. Yeah, yeah, it just does great work, just really commits to the bits. I enjoyed her voice work very very much. I've written out, oh my god, look at that magazine stand two Dallas, please take me back to nineteen ninety four. So yeah, just love that. But also just the follow one from that, when Homer is taken the team Maga scenes to the to the gun. Now, this is interesting because you know, okay, you want to tin scream and tin steam and all that kind of stuff. Therefore, my daughter, yeah, shere pal as home was leaving. What does he say? He said, the wise guy wise Guy? Is this the birth of wise Guy?
Speaker 5: Well he's not the wise Guy visually, but it certainly sounds like his voice sounds like and yeah, sure thing.
Speaker 3: So it's not quite the wise Guy boys, but it's close, and it's the kind of thing that I would say absolutely.
Speaker 5: I really liked Lisa calling Homer at work and say she has the mumps and he says the kissing disease. A little girls growing up, that was such.
Speaker 3: A sweet, lovely everything felt relatable and real, felt grounded and real. That's the word real was the word. Yeah, very much. No, I love that. I thought that was I thought that was fantastic. And Lenny comes in and takes over. I love the soap that they were watching together. That yeah stuff talking about that as well.
Speaker 5: Yeah, just great memories of being at NaNs on school holidays, young and the restless.
Speaker 3: Well that's that was the great thing about being sick and being away from school. It's like there's this whole world of daytime television. Ah well mate, yeah, and it's like, well, this is in design for me. There's design for grown ups. Yeah, this is what growns are into. These soap operas and these game shows, all these like Beauty and the b shows or it's like, you know, you've got one dude surrounded by a bunch of what he would call old battle Is that is that what you women think? Oh go to hell stand?
Speaker 5: Yeah, that kind of business. But that, yeah, that's so cool. The kids shows and at nine o'clock after that start to get at three. Nine to three is Nanny's time. But yeah, just that dreadful guy and saying, well you trim me like garbage.
Speaker 3: That's because you love it. Beabie, I thought you were dead.
Speaker 5: I was.
Speaker 3: I like Bart saying my dead man, know how often I get asked that. I think That's what I've got for favorite moments, and one for me was Lisa's speech to save Santas Little Helper and ensure that Marge and Homer give them give him one more chance to finish his session these classes, Lisa, They're never gonna put the plug on me. What you may next question? You there eating the paste?
Speaker 5: All right, let's get into some trivia questions. My first question for you is what time does Marge book in Lisa to see doctor Hibbert.
Speaker 3: It's two pm? Two pm? What don't but says that Lisa wasted one disease? Please don't waste the mumps? What disease did she wastes? Chicken pox? Chicken pox? Chicken pox? Yes?
Speaker 5: How much does sad As Little Helpers never break colonna?
Speaker 3: Eighty nine cent? Yes, according to doctor Hibbert, a swelling of the what indicse you've got mumps?
Speaker 5: I did write it in my notes. It was it was a swelling of the It wasn't the gums was It's no.
Speaker 3: She's got a discolouration of again. She's got a swell selling toys, paratoid toys, yes, or parrotids yes, is because it's spelled paratoys. But I swear to paratids.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 3: When I was watching it on Friendly Pod Disney Plus, they spelled it to paratids.
Speaker 5: Oh maybe I just read it wrong. It happens sometimes. And my final question for you is, according to the Journal of Canine Obedience, which Emily is reading, what is the dog of the nineties, it's the air one as well, just googling what isn't Airdale? Look, oh, it's one of those dogs I always call like Scottish terriers, bigger versions of them, right, yes, a small dogs.
Speaker 3: That's I know the dog. You know. They look sweet. They look very nice, don't they They look friendly, kind of dumb, but friendly, and and airedales all over the world while we're gone, fuck you man. The thing is that these dogs have hairy mouths in that right is.
Speaker 5: Whenever I see them, particularly the white ones, their hair in the mouse always fucking filthy. Oh yeah, because they eat their food gets caught in there. I go, I just don't want that dog. This looks messy.
Speaker 3: But yeah, this airedale that we're looking out in particularly, it looks like he's grown a mustache. It does indeed, Yeah, well she it looks like someone from Tombstone. That's correct, Yes, a movie we should be covering. We'll get to that one of these days. We'll be done with trivia because it'd give one more question. Why not sure? How many Coreris are they? According to Lisa.
Speaker 5: Eight and I think this is the first mention of the Corries because it's Bart's friend falls in Love, which I think it's season three where she goes to the Corey Hogh. I think it's that episode. Yes, but Corey was a big thing in the early nineties, Corey Fellman.
Speaker 3: Corey Well, there are only really two Coreys who Corey is, Yeah, Cory Hay, Corey Felman. Yeah, late eighties, early nineties.
Speaker 5: His music career mate. It's it's a it's a spectacle.
Speaker 3: I want to give Corey Felman the benefit of the doubt in a lot of ways. But he recently went on was it I don't think it was Mark Maron's podcast, and might have been right on Rosenbaumbs, but he was talking about bumbs.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, he was on Gym's recently.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he was talking about Oh yeah, I had the role in What's Eating Gilbert Grape that Leonardo DiCaprio eventually got but I actually had that role. But then Johnny Depp said, I'm not walking to Corey Feldman his drug addict, So so he got booted from that. Somehow doubt this. I doubt the veracity of your story, Corey Filman. He said he said something else that he was kind of attached to that was some big oh that he auditioned for Titanic as in Leo's as in Leo's maybe just doesn't like Leo. I get the feeling he's kind of looking at Leo going could have been me, should have been me? It's like they could have been me. Yeah, it's like, Corey, we all enjoy your run as a as a child actor. Even as a young adult actor. You will find in Licensed Drive and The Lost Boys, in Gremlins and Gremlins and and finally the Final Chapter and The Great Stand by Me. I think once you hit sort of adulthood, it's like a time you get a desk job. Buddy. Anyway, that's it. But the core I think, and that's my two cents.
Speaker 5: And we did have someone who wrote in saying, hey, do you guys to do the my two cents segment which we used to do back in the first few years of the show, people writing in saying somewhere where you've tried to save money, right, So it's called the my two cent segment and the most life, the most despicable, most hilarious ways we should say, hilarious ways to try and save a few cents, right, which for example is would be I'm going to drive to Aldi and then drive to Coles to save twelve cents off my Pepsi Max kind of thing, you know that kind of thing, right, that's a classic my two cent story. I want to bring the segment back, right, So My two Cents is coming back here and Fourthing a Discount. We want you guys to write in with you my two cent stories and we will discuss them on the show. Also mentioning Corey. It's actually a good segue. We now have the Corey Hotline here at Fourthing a Discount. You can go to our website, go to the menu and click on Corey Hotline. You can leave us a voice message and leaving us a voice message will play that on our monthly community podcast. So the final podcast of every month is going to be a real community vibe talking about Simpsons news. Get questions from the listeners, audio questions from the listeners, and just discussing all things Simpsons, getting some various guests on just a whole community vibe.
Speaker 3: It's great. What it really is is just Dana saying a lot of words that run with Dando, Lando, Brando. What else Outstando? That's it?
Speaker 5: Fando, that's not a word. There's actually there's actually only two words at run with Lando, Right with Dana, Lando and Brando. I think so it's gonna be a short call, but worth every cent, worth every cent, indeed A right before we get into our review though of the episode, let's get out our stone Cutters. Sure, Hello, Katy G think you? Johnny is here? Four thing a discount?
Speaker 3: Kenny G. What's up? Yes?
Speaker 5: With your one hundred support absolute champion. The following people also now Stonecutters here at fourthing a discount. We have Justin Parker, Shaney, Maker, Elliott J. O'Neill, is A Bella, Murphy, Rage Beasley, Stephen Roberts, Shawn DV, Pete Anderson, Timothy Burls, and Andrew Davis, Kevin Dental, Planned Flood Bellow, Windo Bank, Jack McFadden, Heath Appleby Adrick McLeod, Matra, Leven Ginger and Pickle tali Enriquez, Preston, Murray, decland Phoenix, Brian McCoy, Logan, b James Shephard, Joe Riddenzec, Dave Pretzels McNally, Gavin Lang, Dami Miller, and Charlie Joe. Thank you for being stonecutters here at four Finger Discamp being a stone cutter getting every on every episode of the show, as well as every episode of Going Down a South Park. Plus you get access to our monthly zoom.
Speaker 3: Calls with your strolley.
Speaker 5: A lot of names there, buddy, plus all the extra benefits including over one hundred hours of bonus pont content bonus a combination of podcasts and content. You get one hundred hours of pontent. You want to just coined the phrase there, but maybe content potent. Hundred hours of potent let's super catches on, let's se if it catches on hashtag pod tent anyway, hundred hours of content pot tent whatever you want to say, available on our Patreon. Just don't say pot t which is availble to just five dollars, So why not bu five bucks? You get one hundred hours of content, but dollar redoos we can all afford. That four figure discount is brought to you by our incredible supporters on Patreon. With your support, we're able to hire editors, purchase new equipment, and everything else that goes into producing top quality shows. Each and every week, our supporters get early in add free access to every show, new episodes of Tales of Futurama, Talking Sciefild, and Speaking of the Heel each month, as well as access to exclusive Facebook and Discord communities. So go ahead and support the show today for as little as just one dollar at patreon dot com slash four figure discount. All right, so let's get into our review of Bart's Dog gets an f s. Well, but still we'll be revealed for an hour. But our run through we should say, let's call this the run through. So the original air edit was March seventh, nineteen ninety one, And start playing that game again. What do you think We're the top three films at the US box office in the week of March seventh, nineteen ninety one. Ah, this one you could probably get because it was arguably the most successful film of the year from a Acclaim perspective. Well, I think it was released to the year before, though, I know it could have been Visity before. Maybe you're still carried over. I'm not too sure.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 3: Sounds of the Lambs was number one. That was nineteen ninety No, no, that's ninety nine one because I was released on Valentine's naw ninety one.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so it was number one for like four straight weeks. So yeah, Side of the Lambs. Number two was The Doors, which we discussed recently on the movie Guy with Maltin and Davis Kimo.
Speaker 3: Tragically lost to his life. Rest in peace. Voal Kilma and Sleeping with the Enemy was number three, starring Julia Robertson. Yeah, I've never seen it. I've never heard of it. Have you never heard of it? It's all right, right, it's kind of like that you can put on the situbraina for a while a little bit. Yeah, it's like the Julia Robarts version of the soap that they catch in this episode, because yeah, it's basically Julia Robins married a rich dude. He turned out to be pricked. She made an escape and but guess what he followed her? What a prick?
Speaker 5: Okay, cool, Well, I may or may not check it out. It's it's fine, yes, but this episode was written by John Viddi, directed by Jim ridd And, who both appear in the audio commentary with Matt Groening and l Gene the chalkboard gig I Will Not Sell School Property, which is a re used short gag from but gets Hit by a Car, which we reviewed a couple of years ago with our man who wrote the original draft of the New Avengers film, which I believe has now been changed because Kang is no longer in that film.
Speaker 3: That's right, Jeff, Yeah a man, Jeff, yeah yeah. Share to Jeff.
Speaker 5: And cash gag the family sits on the couch with Sat, a little helper and a slawball too, which I think was a pretty fitting cash gag.
Speaker 3: Very apt.
Speaker 5: Yes, So the episode kicks off and I'm just looking at my notes from the audio commentary. We've got to mention Frank Welker. Frank Welker absolute icon in the voice acting world. He is the voice of Megatron, He's the voice of Fred from Scooby Doo visional voice of Fred, but he basically does any animal voices animal animated animals. As Frank Welker, the guy we've tried to get him on Chincoming's podcast. It's never going to happen. He's just he's very he likes to keep to himself, very private, which is more power to him. He swats wide to ask. I guess you could say. But he does sound as a little helper and snowball to the animal sounds in this episode, and I thought, he it's amazing. I was saying the commentary that you say to a dog, and all of a sudden he's becomes a dog. And it's to have that kind of talent must be unbelievable.
Speaker 3: Oh absolutely, And yeah, it may sound like an odd thing to specialize in, or you know, oh, how much can this guy actually bring to the table. He's just going, actually, he's not doing.
Speaker 5: My hand like a piece of chicken. Do's a shout out to our review of Cassabita.
Speaker 3: Indeed it is. I'm going down to South Park check that one out. But I don't think you get the connection that you have with Sanders little helper, with the particular in this episode, without what he brings to the table. I think I think it adds something.
Speaker 5: Yeah, especially the sound of the choke chain like that sounded like a genuine dog being choked. Absolutely, yeah, good stuff. But the episode kicks off early morning paper boys delivering in the morning paper. No, I had a paper on when I was younger.
Speaker 3: Did you have a paper on? I think I may have briefly sort of walked around the neighborhood dropping off what do you call them broches? Yeah, for the supermarkets and the like. Okay, now I never had an actual paper route.
Speaker 5: Whenever I visit my parents, I drive around and I always just get flashbacks. I'm like, oh, it's rosted to live all the papers here.
Speaker 3: I got paid.
Speaker 5: They pay you nothing. I think I can pay the maybe like fourteen dollars to live hundreds of papers. It's just it's slave flavor, mate.
Speaker 3: It really is. It's still got any jabs.
Speaker 5: But I really love this, and I've got here one notes any episode that begins at sunrise with the Simpsons house exterior with that music. Of course, it's music in the morning. It just always makes me smile. I really really like it. But the dog here, Hope he picks up the newspaper, his back cracks, his knees cracking, and I feel you, buddy, it said a little help, but grabs the paper and ruins the sports section. But now it's breakfast time and Homer's paper has a giant hole in it. He can only sports section a very nineties thing. We would never have this issue anymore because who buys a newspaper anymore?
Speaker 3: Tell me about it. Yeah, but I think it also indicates that there's an old thing about the dog brings in the paper for you. I don't think I've ever seen this happen, nah, but I think it indicates, oh, this dog means well, you know, he's like, oh, I'm here to help, I'm bringing the paper for you. No, no much, I don't want you to do it. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So the sounds little helper here is eyeing off homeless food. And this is the first point of view shot that we gap, And I think it's just good establishing to us the viewer that he's just he's hearing gibberish. As owners of dogs and cats, we speak to them and we think they understand this, but no, they are just trying to work out, well that gibberish means this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they don't know what we're saying. Oh yeah, they don't understand the actual words of that. It really is more about the tone or the volume in which you're saying it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and this, this point of view shot just justifies why he struggles to follow Waters. He's not doing it by choice, he just doesn't get it. You might as well be speaking French to him.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So Margin goes to get Lisa ready for school.
Speaker 3: She's clearly unwell.
Speaker 5: And I was saying in the commentary, they're thinking, how do we draw mumps, and like all we could think of was the cheeks, And I'm like, no, it worked, it does.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, well, the minute that you see a little bit the bolts like, oh yeah, that's mumps. I went to school with a kid who had like the worst case of the mumps. He is honestly bulging out. His nickname became Monp for the next two years. Really, oh yeah, he just looked absolutely shocking.
Speaker 5: I've never seen anyone with mumps. I don't think I had it when I was a kid. Is okay, maybe I did. Nikola gets in her glans sort of flat up sometimes and her neck sort of sticks out a little bit. But yeah, I know, just yeah, that's a saying the commentary they just just give a bigger cheeks, that'll do. And Homer is calling out saying, man, your Doug is hungry, I like much, Well, then feed him, then do it?
Speaker 3: You know what do you want me from me?
Speaker 5: But unfortunately he's left his play at attended and the dog has eaten his food. Annoying dogs should be on the table eating the food.
Speaker 3: I do get that.
Speaker 5: I mean there weren't my street. That was a well, well what do you expect? But still a dog should be still fit off.
Speaker 3: The p oh no, no, no, no, I mean yeah, when that kind of thing happens. And I mean I've had, as I mentioned so many times, basically will jump up on the counter. It's like, let this alone for one minute. I turned my back.
Speaker 5: My one sagon Jack never stole food. Well, very lucky in that regard. Yeah, I had my previous dog, though you left anything out gone.
Speaker 3: Pardon me was like, well I should have known better, And pardon me is like I shouldn't have to know better.
Speaker 5: My name Marlene once had a dog, Molly, Miss Molly and Michael Darren took over and once my name passed and looked after her until she was until she passed away. She once she was a shocker, but she was a rescue. My name rescued her from someone. It was like a puppy farm, and she was just constantly just because she was like the mother in the puppy farm. She was just bread and bread and bread. It wasn't treated well. It's almost like she had to She obviously had to fend for her food because whenever there was food, it was just all of it's mine, I'm eating it really really fast. Right. But one time my name came home and she had got into the freezer and eaten and the fridge and eaten an entire loaf of frozen fucking bread, frozen bread, eating it and a dozen eggs, just shells at all.
Speaker 3: Shared to that dog and protein made a tasty say, it's clearly clearly loading up. But yeah, NaN's like it was just a leaf of it was frozen shells and all shells and all. Yeah, crazy stuff.
Speaker 5: But this is where sat As little helper is now tied to a stake outside and he's ruined the grass. And that's what happens when you have dogs at it. Seay run around the backyard, ruined the grass. Alliot's ruined the back corner of our backyard and the other back corner from when he's bowling the cricket ball and when he's batting, so it's just wherever he's constantly standing.
Speaker 3: So it just just dirt there, no grass. But that's what's happened here. And he's now digging up various toys and I'm sorry. He's just reminded me of something. Whenever I'll go over to Lose, I'll park in one particular spot, yea, on the grass on the road, on the on the grass. Well, sometimes I'll be in the driveway, but sometimes be on the nature ruined the grass well, and I haven't ruined it a flat a little bit. But then I parked on a different aspect of it, and she said, you're going to create another flat spot.
Speaker 5: On it's the passive aggressive Are you going to do that? And You're like, I know you're joking, but I don't think you are joking. I'll go back to my other spot. Sorry, sweetheart, I came over here to mow the lawn.
Speaker 3: Anyway.
Speaker 5: But he's dug up the talking crusty here. You're my best friend, blah blah blah, ruins it their Marge calls doctor Hibbitt at his home. Marge, what are you doing? First and foremost, I can't work out the timeline of this episode because home picks up the morning paper.
Speaker 3: He's not going to work. He's sitting there having his breakfast at the table.
Speaker 5: Right, that's fine. Maybe he gets up really early, but then Lisa can't go to school. Why are the Hibbitts already the dinner table when she calls.
Speaker 3: Oh, well, maybe it's their breakfast table.
Speaker 5: Well, they're having breakfasts where they maybe, but they would have seem made possibly. Something I enjoyed about that their rumors didn't feel like a breakfast vibe. I've certainly had a Cosby vibe. We're in our carsbisweater.
Speaker 3: But something I enjoyed about that bid was like, first of all, I'm very curious as to how you got my home phone number. You don't hear what what she said? Very ingenious along those sometimes it were better. That's classic comedy. Writers use your user imas like, oh, that's very clever, because it's very clever, and these writers seem clever by extension, and.
Speaker 5: Hibbert here isn't quite the jovial Hibbit that we come to expect.
Speaker 3: Yet you get a lot of different voices in this well, because I mean, this was the original hip, but it's they haven't quite worked out the voices yet. True, but even home is a little bit different still, but you get to well, Martin Prince has a dog at the at the at the dog training place. Doesn't sayd like Martin Prince. Does he talk? Does he he does? What does he ask?
Speaker 5: I've forgotten exactly but I can't remember. But he's there, and he says something as high pitch as it because his voice.
Speaker 3: Was more certainly a modern Prince voice.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's not that his voice wasn't as high.
Speaker 3: It was certainly lower lower. Yeah, yeah, but hibbit's not as we get a slight little but you're not getting Yeah, you're not getting that.
Speaker 5: He's more yeah, the serious doctor here. But he tells her well, basically he says, I think she's got the mumps. He's like, well, I'm the professional. I think I'll diagnose the child. Do you have a Google doctor?
Speaker 3: I've tried. I try not to now I think I had one too many.
Speaker 5: Always get worst case scenarios.
Speaker 3: You worry about it. Yeah, oh yeah, yeah.
Speaker 5: Remember once I had a lump like on my parts pieces and I was like, I'm going to die, you know. I googled it like this means you have cancer two days to live. And I went there and I just like, no, it's fine. You know, just had adult just sounding like you'll be fine. It's just a fat deposit. And I was like, oh, okay, then, so I'm not going to die to myrow.
Speaker 3: I got your fat deposit right here. Yeah, thought about it.
Speaker 5: I thought about saying that, and I went, you know what, I'm not going to say this. My parts around my ankles, my junk's in your hand.
Speaker 6: No way, she's faking.
Speaker 2: Please stays home. I stay home. If fight stays home, I'm going to school. Fine, then wait a minute, Plica go to school. Then I go to school, but then Lisa stays home, so I stay home. So Wesa goes to school.
Speaker 6: Lisa, don't confuse your brother like that. Have a nice day at school.
Speaker 2: Bar get my homework from missus Hoover hook Lisa, you waste the chicken picks. Don't waste the months.
Speaker 5: Apparently, Miss Hoover Grating says in the commentary, was his first grade teacher. Okay, that's where the name comes from from Miss Hoover and him. Here good advice from Barb. You wasted chicken pox. Don't waste the mump. Use this to your advantage. And I've got in my notes. There was a little sense of excitement for me when you woke up as a child on a school day and you felt like you were slightly off. You weren't sick, be like, I can emphasize this, and I can somehow get out of school.
Speaker 3: I can do the first buller and kind of lick my palms.
Speaker 5: I saw Tommy, I gotta pooh, I gotta pooh, and you just you have a cough. I was able to cough, like a really bad cough on command, so that usually got me out of school. But waking up and going, oh, I can use this.
Speaker 3: I had that one. Fortunately it was before school, was like maybe a week or so before school returned for the year. It was like early January or something, and I wor, oh, oh, I got a pain in myselthing. Oh and oh damn, I could have used this sure, And it wasn't getting better. It was getting worse and getting worse, and it was like, oh, actually I'm in real pain. Ah, I don't And I turned out how to pend pedasitist. Yeah, I remember mate having that. I remember going I'm an excruciating pad. I'm like, oh fuck, I hope I never get this pedasiitist.
Speaker 5: It's really bad. He was like, he's a kid that never complained. He was like, I don't remember. I'm an excusiating pain.
Speaker 3: I was like, oh fuck. Oh yeah.
Speaker 5: And every time I get like a slight stitch, I go, please, not a pedasitist.
Speaker 3: Please. These days, I think it's relatively easily taken care of it. But the pain still there. Oh yeah, the pains there absolutely. I think mine was very, very close to bursting before they rushed into.
Speaker 5: Organs that we don't need as well, Why is it there as long? As like I was left in there by mistake when they designed the human body.
Speaker 3: It was God's mistake. Yes.
Speaker 5: But I've got a friend. I saw him on the weekend. I won't say his name because he likes to keep this private, but he recently had brain surgery, pretty crazy brain surgery to kind of had a piece of his skull to give his brain more space to so it's not a hole in his skull, but I had to like cave out the inside of his skull so his brain would have more room. But pretty intense stuff, right, I said to him, so like if you use it to just get out of work and stuff, and he goes, I haven't really told anybody. I'm like, mate, if I had brain surgery, I'd be using a brain surgery card every day for like five years. I'd be sitting up a gofund me if someone said to me, can you get me a drink? I got brain brain surgery. He passed that brain surgery. It's the kind of thing I would be dropping that card every chance I got. And he's like, no, I don't worry want to know about it. I'm like, mate, don't waste brain service. Of all the things that way, don't waste brain surgery.
Speaker 3: Can you help me out with this?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 3: I don't know. I mean, have you recently had a bit of your skull cut out?
Speaker 5: I'm not laughing at his surgery. No, No, terrified friend sounds like quite the lord. Yeah he is, indeed, but sets a little helper here is still burying items in the yard. This time it's a pop plant. He's clearly just bored and just needs to get his energy out very much.
Speaker 3: Just a kid.
Speaker 5: Who they are is ADHD's add It's like, you know what if you just maybe spent some eh of time with a kid and kept him busy. Yes, he might have as might have a case of it, but you're not helping the case by giving him a night battlet him sit there playing games, go do stuff with him.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, it feels a bit reductive to sort of compare, you know, dogs to children or something like that. There's similarities. Oh yeah, but some podcasts I was listening, he was talking about, you know, the crisis with young males. Everyone's jumping on this bandwagon after watching Adolescents on Netflix. But this guy basically said, yeah, it's like a dog, and a tired dog is a happy dog. A restless dog is an unhappy dog. So you know, it's like with kids. Take him to the park, let him run around, kick a footy or whatever, but you know, exhaust them.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Ali, after school, he says, can we the footy? I've got nothing to do in the afternoon. Yeah, sure, mate, Let's go kick the footy for an hour and when we get home he's got it out of his system. You know, it's it's not climbing the walls.
Speaker 3: I'm sure.
Speaker 5: If I said to Alict and we're gonna go home, he'd sit there, he'd fidget. You can tell when Elliott hasn't got his energy yet, he can't sit still.
Speaker 3: Sure, kids are kids, and particularly young boys are nuclear reactors of energy. Oh yeah mate, Yeah, and if they sorry, I'm putting on my doctor spock at here. But you know, if they're spending their downtime watching scrange or something like that, Yeah, where's that energy gonna go. It's gonna sort of burn up and you're gonna get fall out.
Speaker 5: Yeah, not good at all. Yeah, we could get There's a whole conversation there which I won't get into. But this is where say this little helper sees Bart get onto the school bus. He breaks free from his chain, but tells him to go back home, but of course he doesn't, and he said, goes on a little adventure, eating some bugs and stealing some beef jerky from the quickie marts, Mum and pop store. Who says, here, and then he chases some ducks at the pond, just having a grand old day. Let me see Sylvia Winfield played by Tracy Ollen. She's calling Homer Yo.
Speaker 7: Sim said, there's a Sylvia Winfield that canaine of yours is in my pool.
Speaker 5: Again.
Speaker 3: I'm calling a dog warden right now? Oh are you well?
Speaker 8: You go ahead and call your precious dog warden your battle axe, because my dog is tied up in the backyard.
Speaker 6: There's only one.
Speaker 2: Family on this block, no on earth inconsiderate enough to let a monster like that wrong.
Speaker 3: Free.
Speaker 8: Are you losing your hearing or are you just stupid? I Am going to explain this to you one more time and then I'm going to hang up on you.
Speaker 3: It is not my dog. I tied my dog outside my shop. I am looking at him, right dog.
Speaker 5: I just loved Homer here. He was so adamant, well, so cope and I love that like my dog is in my Yeah. Are you out of hearing or just stupid?
Speaker 3: I missed the battle ax. I love that you are battle ass.
Speaker 5: But he thinks he's tied up of looking at him, right, dope, man looks at the window and clearly he hasn't been He's broken.
Speaker 3: Free.
Speaker 5: Four figure discount is brought to you by our incredible supporters on Patreon. With your support, we're able to hire editors, purchase new equipment, and everything else that goes into producing top quality shows. Each and every week. Our supporters get early In add free access to every show, new episodes of Tales of Futurama, Talking Sciefild, and Speaking of the Heel each month, as well as access to exclusive Facebook.
Speaker 3: And Discord communities.
Speaker 5: So go ahead and support the show today for as little as just one dollar at patreon dot com slash four figure discount. So as he's walking the dog home, he sees Flanders on his walk and Flannders is kind of weird in season two, is not. I feel like the Flanders in like season eight nine wouldn't be buying assassins and things like that. I wouldn't be treating himself. It'd be don't spend money on things that's blasphemous, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well, as I said, I mean, they really sort of ramp up particular traits and particular addresses of the character's personalities as the show goes along. Here is kind of Yeah. He's not even kind of you know, churchy ned or anything like that. It's more so like a pressy next door neighbor who's like, I've got nothing in common with this guy, but you know, because we share a fence occasionally, we're gonna have to talk.
Speaker 5: I get almost like Phil Hartman neighbor vibes early from Early Slanders, where it's almost like he's rubbing it in Homer's face what I have, and it was it's not the Christmas episode, the first episode where they've got better lights and they got better presence in the Simpsons, it's almost I don't think he's deliberately doing it. Oh no, he's not doing it to rub it in anyone's face, but but it comes across that way to someone who doesn't have what he has.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, and because they're not being you know, sort of flamboyant or ossentation abouts like oh yeah, I've got new sneak because I got to treat yourself for anyone's Ah, I've got nice Christmas lights, you know, so like check out my Christmas lights. How I'm yeah, that was my Phil Hartman. That was my worst fill up. I promise it. I do have a better one.
Speaker 5: But he says here he loves a dog, and he's like, oh, he's just a good dog, isn't he. And home's mocking his walking attire is where he mocks the pedometer. I think maybe because he's got the gloves and the weight, he's.
Speaker 3: Got ankle weights and like he's holding little handweights.
Speaker 5: Little handworks and stuff. Yeah, but then he sees the assassins and he asks the price and doesn't tell on the price. And let's just say they're not giving them away. But sometimes you're going to treat yourself. And his heart rate's dropping, so he walks off, And I totally buy Flannder's mentality here of you've just got to spoil yourself. Sometimes sometimes you just have to write. I find them in the year twenty twenty five that I'm buying things just purely for comfort at the moment, Like I just feel like I need a bit of comfort, so I'm spending money on shit that I don't need. I think I need to change my buying habits in a sense that I still treat myself. But it's almost like I go many buying someth it's worth fifteen dollars or ten dollars, but I'm buying too much of those things. Wait it out and buy one big thing, because otherwise you just end up with a house full of shit that isn't that good as opposed to one really good thing.
Speaker 3: I get where you're coming from. Yeah, I mean, I sort of made a semi conscious decision not to buy too much this year in terms of like what I'd usually get, like a big blu ray set or you know, a good book or something like or or clothes even it's like I really do have enough clothes.
Speaker 5: But it's hard to describe the feeling of opening up for the first time, like that new blue a box set or something that the I always compare it to a board game. I always say board games. The best player of ball game is opening it up for the first time, or just the.
Speaker 3: Kick of you know, mister Amazon arriving.
Speaker 5: It's like I got a package for somebody's coming to my house. Somee's like that social interaction it's coming.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's brilliant. And what you're saying about buying little things, I mean if I would be buying little things that wouldn't be stuff that would necessarily be like something to put on the wall or on the shelf or what not, like not like nacks. Yeah, yeah, I would be like, you know what, get the good coffee or this new variant of tim Tam is not on special this week, but I really feel like the strawberries and cream vary its.
Speaker 5: Yeah, or sometimes there's one point where the supermarket Nicholas like set of PEPs, my, can you just try the alla?
Speaker 3: I saw one.
Speaker 5: It was a bit cheap, and I was like, nah no, there's some just some things you just gotta you like and just just like it might cost an extra three or four dollars, but you know what, that's not that much money for the happiness that that brings me to have the better version of something.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, absolutely the case. Yeah, oh yeah, yeah, there are some things here, You're right that you just don't cut corners on.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but this is where we have Lisa at Hibbitt's office. She's getting checked over. And I mentioned in the commentary here they really love doing things like the point of view from inside the mouth and that kind of thing. But she's got discolorization of the saliva glands and swelling of the parotids parotids, and she definitely has the mumps. So she's gonna miss a week of school and she worries that she's going to get behind her kids in class, and not in Hibbits, he's impressed with her responsibility.
Speaker 3: He's like, why are you bothered by this?
Speaker 5: You're just a child, and yeah, So what her favorite subject? Is and shouldn't say math. She says arithmetic, arithmetic, and he says, don't worry, you'd be back in no time doing all your various He says, all the different quadrants quaver or something along. But he says, right now, I have some rest and enjoy a wally pup. So kind of passing here. But I think Hibot's message was you're a kid, for the love of God, just enjoy yourself and relax, you know, just enjoy it. But the walipop actually pays off in a few moments, So homes any donates at work and Lisa was calling in to say giving him her order for magazines, and he mocks her for the kissing disease, and she tells him to quit it.
Speaker 3: And I'd say it at all.
Speaker 5: She wants teen Dream, teen Scream, teen Steam magazine. He asked Lenny to cover for him.
Speaker 3: I was got.
Speaker 5: Those were the days holding a magazine in your hand. You read those things from beginning to end multiple times in case you missed something. You know, like every bit of text in that magazine. You'd read it, ads, everying, the fine print. And as a teen, I think my go to magazine was was Empire. I lived for that shit. I loved Empire as well. I got all my movie news. What was your teen mag?
Speaker 3: Oh, my teen mag? Oh gosh?
Speaker 5: For my kid mag was Disney Adventures. That was a big one for me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, let's see. And then when it came to movies, I was very big on Premiere and Movie Line. There were a couple out of the UK. One was called Neon that I really enjoyed. Was really that into Empire for some reason? Yeah, yeah, I mean I think I respected it, but I was like, I'm getting my information from other sources in that regard when it came to I think I was trying to be sort of more grown up than that I was. There's a men's magazine. When I say men's magazine, I don't mean like Playboy. I mean more about you know, falling profiles of Ryan Gosling and pictures of belts, things like new Waallets. Yeah, GQ magazine and Esquire. Still I'm still subscribed to West Cone Magazine. Still get a physical copy of it. They don't bring it out make it yeah, yeah, they don't bring it out once a month anymore. I think they do like maybe six issues a year and honestly, I've still got I've got a few issues that it's like still in the plastic because everything is everything is online. Also the articles are online.
Speaker 5: Like the idea of knowing one day you'll get to it or is it sure?
Speaker 3: There will be times and it was like, you know, when I'm going out for lunch or whatever, just I'm going out for a bit of a solo lunch or whatever, and I want to have something to read. I'll take this with me, get a burger or something and just have that going on. But yeah, oh, another way, I've got those big plastic containers. I've got about six or seven of those full of magazines from going back to the nineties. Something I just decided to keep. It's like you've opened them, I just haven't. Oh yeah, yeah about yeah, I've told you. I threughout my massive box of Oh what was the movie magazine from the UK? Wasn't Empire Total Film. Maybe it was Empire Magazine. It was something else, I'm pretty sure because Empire was from the UK. We had an Australian version for a while. Maybe it was Empire.
Speaker 5: Anyway, it was just like from nineteen ninety three it was every issue from nineteenninety three through to nineteen ninety eight.
Speaker 3: I'm like, why did I throw these out? Well, there was one other mag called called Details, which is kind of like the gen X version of GQ or Esquire, and I had you know, fashion spread and celebrity profiles and all that kind of stuff. I haven't checked them out in years, but I remember maybe back around twenty ten or so, I had one afternoon of just like flicking through them and it was just, honestly like an acid flashback or jumping into a time machine. How good of like the ads and stuff? Oh yeah, and these were all they were all really thick because you know, they had a shit ton of advertising and subsequently they had a lot of money to pay journalists. I thought that guy that was getting half a million or whatever, Oh goodness, Yeah, yeah, I think I put some I put it any thing up on Facebook recently about some guy who used to work for Vanity Fan magazine who he said he wrote something like three long articles per year, like ten thousand word articles, but he got paid something like close to half a mil.
Speaker 5: What's the biggest paycheck you ever got for one piece?
Speaker 3: For one piece? Oh gosh? Or you more paid by the month. I think I was more paid by yeah, by the shift or by the word yeap. Yeah. Then I never really sort of got paid for individual pieces like that.
Speaker 5: But marj reveal to Lisa the family the Bouvier family quilt, and Lisa's smells historic. This for me, it's trading cards. I love to smell something new that that that smell. It smells I think it smells my favorite sense.
Speaker 3: It's like a really memories. Yeah, absolutely it is.
Speaker 5: Yeah, five generations of boo Vier women have each added their own square to it.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 5: One was the guy falling back being shot?
Speaker 3: What is that a take? What is that a Yeah? That's a reference to a photograph called the Falling Soldiers by a guy called Robert Kappa. He's apparently a very very well war photographer.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and it was just, yeah, the ear of the time. And as we find out later on, Marges was keep on tracking. Don't understand what I meant there. I don't understand what it means now. But so she's just she showed the quote, and I like the idea that Marge has held on to this and it's something that she's been wanting to show Lisa for a long time and now feels like the right moment. Yeah, a real bonding moment between the two of them there, which I thought was really really nice. But she says here that you know you can't because Lisa's I can't do I can't sew. I can't do it, and she's you do. You got the memory of a million drop stitches flowing through your veins. You just need to develop a callous. And she brags about her sewing finger, whichmight at least initially thinks is a bit gross, but she learns to go that's a pretty cool talent.
Speaker 3: The whole threatening thing is very cool. Yeah, I must have been. I thought it was a little gross too, just the pricking of that.
Speaker 5: Oh you've got to count I used to have that when I play guitar.
Speaker 3: You couldn't. I thought my fingers were all hard from the strings. I think it's the one thing that it's the one thing that's stopping me from playing guitar, other than my lack of told me back and my LA commitment. It's like it's gonna hurt my fingers to keep strimming like this.
Speaker 5: I've had the idea for a while, not a family quilt, but a family recipe book where members of the family, everyone's got their specialty dish, right, but have them write it out on a piece of paper and like scan it in and creates this book where each generation you add a new page to it.
Speaker 3: It's a very good idea. I've heard you mentioned this in the past. It was a good idea then, and I think it's still not bad.
Speaker 5: Homer's buying this is magazines, and the other ones include non threatening boys says in Oh yes, brag, it's just say no teen scheme punk his back. Apparently we get Corey on the covered Martin Sheen's teen scene, ha teen Spleen. It's various other magazines. Howe is annoy the two dollar price?
Speaker 3: Haang. I was like, buddy, oh man, what a time to be alive. Two dollars for a magazine. Eat that shit up.
Speaker 5: But the worker mocks him, and yeah, was wise, guys what he says to him here. But then he sees the assassins in the window. But there aree hundred and twenty five dollar which I believe is about three hundred bucks US. Now, okay, yeah, it's got quite a bit a lot of money for shoes. Oh yeah, maybe even more. Yeah, suppose it's good for good shoes.
Speaker 3: Are these good shoes or that is flamboyant shoes? I think they're just Yeah, they're flamboyant shoes.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the shoes that everyone's got them, so I want one as well. But hears Flanders in his head saying, I know you should take that, you should buy them. Treat yourself, treat yourself. I'm ordering you to order these shoes. And it's almost like it's a self justification for himself to blame Flanders. Oh sure, I Flanner's told me. Whatever you say, Flanders. But Margin shows Lisa her keep on truck and patch because saying she didn't know what it meant then it means now, but drops off the homework for her funn functions vocabulary remedia or reading nice tried by Barton, try to sit that one under the radar, try to give her his own homework. And then Homer arrives wearing the assassins and bart let's the price slip.
Speaker 6: Thanks who assassin read him? And weel it's a very elaborate sneaker.
Speaker 2: A jetter be for one hundred and twenty five big one.
Speaker 6: Day twenty five dollars. Homer, I thought we agreed to consult each other before any major purchases.
Speaker 8: Well, you bought all of smoke of Arms and we haven't had a single fire.
Speaker 5: That just feels like classic Simpsons.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's that feels like I like the outer edge of not jerk Homer, but the kind of selfishification.
Speaker 5: Yes, selfishness, but it's not hurting anybody really, it's just silliness. If anything, it's a dumb ass argument to me. You don't you don't actually think that he believes it. But this is what So this is what that defines irresponsible behavior from Homer A season two I was mentioning earlier him buying shoes. It's a far cry from the season ten to fifteen episodes where he just does out landy shit. But it's also for me watching Homie here and seeing the way marjorieted it. For me, it's the dangers of after pay, because for me, after pay it was one of those things where because Nicholas checks the bank statement, so I'm like, I want to buy something that's worth like like a DVD's well at thirty five forty bucks, I'm like, I'll put it on after pay because then she went, see that I've got the JBI high fire. It's the dangerous road to go down my front door.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I am almost on zero after pay at the moment. That's good.
Speaker 5: Keep it there, I said to Nicola. Once we've got down to zero, I'm understalling it.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's one I'm keeping on because I don't have credit cards for anything, and neither do we. Yeah, I've never had them. They won't let me. Well, that's true. There is also that, but yeah, Margaret Mary the other day was saying how things going financially.
Speaker 5: And as always, Mum say, it was always yes, since you're asking, But you know, I sort of had to she says, this because you're going through a purse at the time.
Speaker 3: It's correct, but I sort I had to break it down. So look, I've never had credit cards, you know, I don't. I even in stronger financial times like oh, I just don't want to have that.
Speaker 5: It's pressure, isn't it?
Speaker 4: That?
Speaker 5: That pressure and the freedom It seems like freedom to purchase things, but it's not.
Speaker 3: And after pay seems at the track work. Yeah, but I won't uninstalled. I'm I'm kind of I'm a fan of after pay. I can control it. It doesn't control me. It's just a fun way to say after pay. Well sure, except now they've got something called before pay, which I don't I think is a different company. I don't think it's from the same people. It's silly, but it sounds like payday loans before pay. Yeah, hey, goods.
Speaker 5: The sounds a little Helpers flicking through different stations here where we discover it setus or help. We're just going through different channels. We have the news report of the Babysitter bandit from the final episode of Someone Chanted Evening, who was originally going to be It was the first episode that returned. I think it was going to be the usual pilot of the Simpsons. But it looks so terrible that they had to replace the director with David Silman and saved the episode. But Someone Chanted, even Lucille or BUTTSGAUSI the babysit a band that me see. Krusty is on a talk show.
Speaker 3: Joe. What's the guy's name, Joe Franklin.
Speaker 5: I believe is it Joe Franklin they mentioned on the commentary, Actually, yeah, we believe it's Joe Franklin.
Speaker 3: Who is Joe Franklin, a talk show host in the United States. So you know, I just know the name. Yeah, I want to say those guys were a dime a dozen, but there were plenty of them.
Speaker 5: Joe Franklin, American hosts and television actor. Okay, so yeah, what did you show finish?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 3: You know, like we're talking about things that would be on in the afternoon, like talk shows and chat shows. Yeah, I guess the name that we might know in Australia, although it's very sort of old fashion, Nerve Griffin is one of them. Of course, you had your late night guys like Carson and all that. I think, you know, if you're operating during the day, it meant you were kind of like in the reserves or the B team, unless you were really really sort of good at it, like Donaghue or whatever or Oprah. Oprah was the daytime he late tried, Everyone tried. I mean, well, Ellen was there forever. Now it's Drew Drew. Yeah, I can't watch Drew. It makes me cringe.
Speaker 5: Cringey, isn't it. It's like they say something in motion and that just gives him a cuddle and I'm like, what are we doing here?
Speaker 3: Well, I'll tell you what Drew is doing.
Speaker 5: They can bank. Yeah, this is Joe Franklin. You're right, Yeah, so Crusty's on Joe Franklin show. I think he said something of yours the only show that I will do. And then we go duft beer commercial re use footage of Troy Mclaw from They Can't Believe they invented it and it was actually done by Dan.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I was about to say that, Yeah, it was bizarre. Do they actually have a little sign on the back saying Troy Mclaw or does the person say that the drum mclauk But it's but he wasn't the established Troum mcclaw character yet. Yeah, it was like, I'm try McClure. Yeah, so that was a better fill. Hum.
Speaker 5: Yes, And then he notices the assassins in the wardrobe. And I really appreciated here in this scene where they're flicking through the little details of the volume just randomly going up because it's obviously his teeth touched on the volume button, the vogue button goes after. It's little things like that.
Speaker 3: Hobe.
Speaker 5: He comes downstairs and finds the massacre, screams no, and all the neighborhood dogs back as well, Like I can see how it is frustrated here because he genuinely he made the effort to keep them away from the dog by putting them in the in the top shelf of the wardrobe.
Speaker 3: So and alot. I think he took it pretty well. Yeah, you would take it. You would take it personally, like Michael Jordan, when when you've made the effort to put a lid on the food or put the shoes on the top shelf or whatever, and it still happened, still happens like this shit on purpose. There's a dog behavior, there's a there's I've got you've got a.
Speaker 5: Grudge against him taking this personal indeed, Yes, But I don't think though, because I think it took it quite well. I don't think Homer yelling at the dog is really what this episode needed, because as you were saying, yes, there cost a lot of money, but that's his fault for spending money on their shoes and then they're just shoes, and I don't think we wanted to see sales. Little help it getting be rated for shoes. The quilt was something different, You're right, quilt meant something to everybody home and then chains upsetenters will help with a bigger lock, and marcha just obedient school. That's always your answer for everything. It's part, says the various classes we have east Side rough Form School, Professor Von Bows's Sanitarium for Dogs. We taught a dog to drive it, says doctor Marvin Monroe's Canine Therapy Institute. Your dog isn't the problem, you are. And then she settles on Emily Winthrop's Canine College. And I just think that the I love that the dog in the ad for the sanitarium one was literally wearing a straight jacket as a great job here of showcasing the different approaches to training a dog, saying you're the problem, or others are saying that we need to be really strict with them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, some tough love, some gentle parent, Yeah yeah.
Speaker 5: Moving the blame, shifting the blame and whatnot. But we're now at the college and Emily blows this silent whistle that no one can hear but the dogs in here, shuts all the dogs up, and Martin and Jacques are there bowling structor missed also as Sam from the Barflives. He's there as well as one of the characters. So she gives them all toffees, and she refers to sat as little help, her Satan's little help. And you think that's just planting the seeds of where this is going to be going.
Speaker 7: Ladies and gentlemen, most of you already know like, with a little love and confession in your poppy will grow up to be God, a little bundle of joy, stone and nonsense, taught by Charlatan's and learned by bloody twits. Let me tell you the two most important words you will ever hear in your life.
Speaker 6: Choke chain.
Speaker 7: You'll raise the dog the same way you would raise a child, with simple or pricitive commands. You don't followed by immediate correction.
Speaker 2: Well, how can we tell if we're doing this maneuver effectively?
Speaker 7: The dog's eyes will cross and his tongue will protrude and change color ever so slightly.
Speaker 2: Is my dog dead name?
Speaker 3: You don't know how often I've asked it.
Speaker 7: Chook chain is a misnoma.
Speaker 3: Trust me. They are always breathing.
Speaker 5: But it's kind of kind of confused. He He's like, well, I've been told I have to come in. This must be the right thing to do. But he doesn't like it.
Speaker 3: It's well, the thing is this woman's an authority figure. Yeah, and also British. Yes, trust him.
Speaker 5: Marge and Lisa are watching the stories and it's pretty it's pretty full on right that it seems somewhat unrealistic that Marge would let Lisa watched his. But in nineteen ninety one we didn't have replays, we didn't have streaming. If you missed your stories, missed your story. So she's like, well, Lisa's home, I have to look after her. Fuck it, she's gonna have to watch it goes. I'm not missing this story. I really need to see what is it that? Because Brandy's coming out of her coma and she knows that the Phony Prince's body is hidden in the boathouse, I need to know what happens with this. Meanwhile, the dog chases Snowball two into the room, sees Lisa's lollipop, con visit it for a chicken, steals it runs off with it that Lisa asks, what are we gonna do mum if he doesn't learn anything in Marge is like, I don't know, and as again playing the Seeds of Marche. She doesn't want to get rid of the dog. But she's like, I don't know what we're going to do. I don't know what else we can possibly do here. This dog is just ruining everything, Father McGrath, He returns McGrath gra anyway returns down that you were, Dad, I was, And then we get the montage of but failing to get Sand's little helper to learn anything at the college, whilst all the other dogs are just excelling at everything. She's had something the unity on the floor you entered like a hose that a fire. She's literally now as punishing bart though too, which in turn, I feel like this approach creates resentment between owner and pet. Oh, yeah, absolutely, because you're not learning. I'm now being punished.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm catching the heat for this. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Over attempts to return the shoes. You're gonna give it a crack, right. The worst I can say is no, But he says, my faithful dog was bringing the shoes, but they fell apart in his mouth.
Speaker 3: I had this recent well not quite this, but I returned a shirt to a high end country road.
Speaker 5: No, no, no, no.
Speaker 3: I went up to David Jones in Melbourne with tag, without tag, with tag, but I'd thrown out the tag. See what can you throw it at? I bought this okay, I bought this shirt. You mean throw at the receipt? You mean no, No, I'd thrown at the tag. I bought the shirt, but it wasn't the size that I. Well, I thought it was the size I needed, so I'd cut off the tag, thrown the tag away, and I'd try on the shirt. It's like, oh, man, no, this is this is the size too small. If I if I crashed out, I can fit into it whatever so and but then I found out, oh no, I can get a size larger from this other place. But then the tag was in the in the rubbish, and plus other rubbish got on top of it and it was gross. I had like coffee stained on it or something. So I did get it out blow. I took the shirt and my two cents. And I don't think i'd actually bought the shirt from David Jones. I bought it from somewhere else, but David Jones was the place that had it in a high yeah, so I took it after I said, oh, yeah, this shirt's not quite right? Is everything?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: I don't have the receipt. Sorry, but here's the tag and everything like that. Can I exchange it for seven? She's looking at me like, let's do it this tag. I'm like, so I got it. She'd let you do it. She let him shirt? Good man, I did all right.
Speaker 5: So the tag was separated from the shirt. The tag was definitely separated from the shirt.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, she's probably thinking, I'm.
Speaker 5: Just gonna say whatever I can get. Gut had in my store. I was no one's this fucked up.
Speaker 3: I was doing the one hundred, the same guy, Davis charm of fansive. It's like, what a day? How's things going here? Anyway? Weather? How about those cats? Anyway? But I got the shirt and there But anyway.
Speaker 5: The upshot was I got my shirt. That's that's the That's what we all wanted to hear.
Speaker 3: And then I was in David Jones maybe like three weeks later and going through that same section, and I saw that shirt on the on the rack, and I saw the tag on it, and still it all those same stains reattached to it. They read.
Speaker 5: Someone's out there with a David Jones shirt. That's been Oh that's crazy, But have you ever worn the shirt? I think i'd put it on, so you wore the shirt, but then I'll do the tag out and then return that motherfucker.
Speaker 3: That's true, the perfect cray that I'm now confessing to on the podcast. That's awesome.
Speaker 5: I've gotten no receipt, but boy, what a day before you stepped in to go all right, it's time for the old Davis ch It's go time, bingo.
Speaker 3: That's the thing. I walked away and she was looking at this singer, son of a bitch.
Speaker 5: Four figure discount is brought to you by our incredible supporters on Patreon. With your support, we're able to hire editors, purchase new equipment, and everything else that goes into producing top quality shows.
Speaker 3: Each and every week.
Speaker 5: Our supporters get early in add free access to every show, new episodes of Tales of Futurama, Talking sci Fild and Speaking of the Heel each month, as well as access to exclusive Facebook and Discord communities. So go ahead and support the show today for as little as just one dollar at patreon dot com slash four figure discount. The Homer, yes, he says, so he's tryed to turn the shoes, but the unfortunately the warranty doesn't cover fire, theft or acts of dog. But he sees the glosses cookie and Narcy caut right here, apparently doing her almost natural voice the Alha girl, and she says, we're going to try a sample, and he eats a bunch of samples and says, you can buy some more soft for a dollar, so that's your plan, gets it dipped and then jack up the prize.
Speaker 3: Do you go wild with the samples?
Speaker 5: I haven't seen samples in the store for a long time. Do they still do that? Did they stop it because it's the health and safety thing?
Speaker 3: Maybe, but the fantastic Saquita Butcher not far from here, they will always Well they have for a while had like a little plate up on top of the counter with like try out sharizo, try our German sausage or whatever. Did they cook it first? No, No, it's like it's the stuff. It's the deli stuff stuff. Oh yeah, there, iniably like, no, please, we have other customers tell me back. No, I will go wild for samples.
Speaker 5: I'm pretty sure every time we go to the ice cream store, Nicola tries the sam I want, Nikola, you you set up for.
Speaker 3: This last time?
Speaker 5: Well?
Speaker 3: Giving out? Or is she asked? She's asking can I taste this one? Can I taste something like? Nik, you know exactly what that caramel ascream? Yeah. I always feel a bit dubious about doing that, but sometimes like yeah, or or the del He's like, oh can I I'd like maybe try that honey dam Can I try a bit of it? Yeah?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 3: Yeah, It's like, oh no, I don't want that.
Speaker 5: I always find if I'm in the supermarket and I'm hungry, I just walk past a Danni and second, pleast try some chicken, please, chicken shaved. I can't say no, you have to let you have to offer free samples was.
Speaker 3: Seen at the supermarket. There's certainly one in particular. I think it's wool As that does it. But you know you will go in. It's like he does have a free banana or an apple for the kids. It's like, I've never seen a grown up do it, but I'd like to. I would probably be the first I've done it. Have you be an apple? Yeah? Okay, grab a banana? Fucking we were gonna do. Pale fans guys like did he just take an apple? Excuse me? Are you under the edge of twelve? It's like, oh no, I'll I was taking his job seriously.
Speaker 5: I thought the guy here in the shoe store was almost like an earlier version we discussed Wise Guy, almost an early version of Squeaky Voice team.
Speaker 3: A little bit too yeah, I mean, also combined with the archetypal Simpsons slacker voice, you know when they go to a music festival or another. We don't really cover the acts of Dog, so it's all not too much difference between him and Otto. This version of Otto, certainly in this episode, Yeah, wasn't ye man, It was more like here he dude. Yeah, it wasn't really steering into the keep on dragging sores. That mean no one knows.
Speaker 5: So to this day, Homer is writing the letter property of Homer J. Simpson hands off.
Speaker 3: This is my cookie.
Speaker 5: Of course that doesn't fit into the cookie jar, but we get the POV the point of view from the dog and its predator vibes. He sees the cookie and he of course takes it. Yes, Lisa is now showing Marge the passion that she has made for the quilt, and it's the two two biggest musical influences in her life, Mister Lago and Bleeding Gums Murphy.
Speaker 3: She also has a callous as well. We get the eighteen moment, which I thought was a nice sort of touch. You would like that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the dog is drinking out of the toilet. He's walking around and he sees the quilt and you go, oh shit. And March's home and come see what Lisa has done. And they find the dog just chewing up the quilt and six generations ruined, and you really feel so for much. Yeah, oh god, Yeah, this is probably the most one of the most important things. She hasn't seen why someone that really wants for much and this, but this is really important to her for good reason, and it's now gone.
Speaker 3: Do you have any fairly family heirlooms or something that was like important to your family that you broke or that you damaged in some.
Speaker 5: Way, family elms that are broke, And I have any knowledge of family earms that are broke. I do have things that were given to me by like my nan or my uncle Jock that Elliott has like dropped and sort of cracked or.
Speaker 3: Broken off gone.
Speaker 5: I've managed to keep that fine for like thirty years, Like Jock gave it to me when I was a little kid, and you had it for like ten seconds and you fucking dropped it.
Speaker 3: Can't be angry at you. You just to keep this, like god damn it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there was a rock that had like opal on it and it's I don't think they's even worth an it, but Uncle Joh gave it to me when I was a kid. He's like, yeah, I found this when I went to some country like.
Speaker 3: Africa or whatever.
Speaker 5: And I was like, that's cool. I've just kept this rock on my shelf from my rooms wherever I move. I've always had this rock, and now I had it in the garage. He's like, what's this And as I put it down, please, and he fucking dropped it and just shattered, and I was like, don't touch things as you It's really there the moments that challenge you as a parent, where you go you've got to go through all the options in your head really quickly because you've any got you know, it's got a few seconds, a few seconds to react, and what you do is gonna leave a lasting impression is yell, do I explain? And you want to just fucking erupt, but it's like, keep cool, explain why. But when they do it again, that's why I try to say to Elliott, I'll only get angry if I've told you not to do something you know you're not supposed to do it, and then you do it again. Yes, then I don't still don't erupt because you don't want to be that rah rah. But sometimes kids need to know that you're the boss. Yeah you've said this, Yeah, but yeah, so you broke any family islands not broken. I just broke that broke the tradition of footballs in the family.
Speaker 3: I broke the father son.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 3: I think I probably mentioned this on one of our shows in the past, but we had this beautiful old sort of like Art Deco style, no, not really out, like a nineteen fifty style map of the world, like a big framed one. I think it was from Quantus. It was like something out of Madman. It was like something to see in Don Draper's office. And for some reason, when I was a kid, I had a sticker of something from Geelong. I think you have mentioned this story, and I stuck it over, like, oh, here's Geelong, and I think the second I did, I realized, well, that fucks everything up, and I tried to peel off and it was like I was starting to peel off the fabric or whatever the paper. I was like, well, I fuck this. I would have done this shit forty five years ago, a lot long long time. It feels weird to say it's one of the great regrets of my life. But I feel like I fucking, you know, threw a mustache on the moan of Lisa or something. I was so angry with myself. Yeah, and I don't think I don't think the folks really minded that much. And when it was up in my room, you just can't let it bother you. No, I mean, I don't know where it is now. I don't think we kept it. We'll probably throw it out of because well, this thing's fucking wrong. Thanks. But yeah, till this day, i'm kind of like.
Speaker 5: It was the point of that. Yeah, but it seemed like a good idea at the time.
Speaker 3: You were just a kid. Yeah, yeah, so angry. I need to take you to obedience school. That's true anyway.
Speaker 5: But it's chewed up at the quilt and yeah, it's just terrible and homes trying to comfort March. Look, we all love that quilt. It's fine until he sees the cookie. And I thought this was selfish ridiculous but also funny.
Speaker 3: Again. Yeah, we're pushing the outer limits of his sort of selfishness, pushing it to slightly ridiculous levels. But yeah, I think we all been there where it's kind of like, oh, you know, it's not so bad, it's not so bad, but you know, the minute it gets personal for you, yeah, oh wait a minute.
Speaker 5: And I think we've all had a moment in our lives at least once where there is a bit of food left overs from the night before or something at home or whatever that you've just been looking forward to. Oh yeah, certainly, and you come home and someone else is eating it or drunk it, and you're like, I know it's just food, but.
Speaker 3: I really wanted it.
Speaker 5: It's very like sometimes Nicholas say, I love rossotto, which just say cooking rostta for dinner, and then it'll get to like tea time. She go, I don't really feel like cooking it, and I'm like, I'm not going to make you cook food.
Speaker 3: I really wanted it looking for it all day. How dare you be tired? How dare you? But it's fine?
Speaker 5: Then I of course here, Look I love dogs. But if this happened to me I'd probably reassess my options as well, because I don't know. I like to think I wouldn't want to ever get I don't think I have could bring myself. If I have a pet, I would never be able to get rid of it and not have it anymore. But man, I would be pretty angry if my pet ruled a family, earl them like this. We can say it's there for for living on the bed, but it shouldn't. You should be able to leave it on the bed.
Speaker 3: You know, something like that. Absolutely, Yeah, yeah, my food. You can kind of understand. Shoes, I guess does some degree feel like something that gets chewed a lot? But yeah, something like a quill. It's like, no way, man.
Speaker 5: But Homer calls for the family meeting, so it's time to go. Not gonna happen, You gotta go. But even Lisa says we can't. She can't bear to let him go, and Marge degrees, Look, she agrees with Homer. You think Margine can agree with it with List, But I think that's important when you're a parent, you've got to back each other up. And I think having the quilt get destroyed made Marjor realize, Look, we exhausted our options here. This is like probably what we're gonna have to go down. This is the route we have to go down. But please that if he passes the training can be Please keep him.
Speaker 2: No way, you can't give my dog away. I'll sit by my hair sugar in the gas caboard. I've suffered as much as anyone at the pause of this dog. When I look into his vacant brown eyes, I just can't bear to let him go. I'm sure Mom agrees with me.
Speaker 6: No, I'm afraid I agree with your father.
Speaker 3: You do ha ha?
Speaker 6: Oh Please, it's not just the quilt. He's a nice dog, but he chews up everything. He doesn't obey. He's not even housebroken. And we've spent all this money on an obedience school and I don't see any improvement.
Speaker 2: All right, all right, he sent us Little Hooper studies real hard and pusses his venoles and becomes a perfect dog. Can we keeping them?
Speaker 6: No, this is our pet.
Speaker 2: We can question his integrity and disposition, but we can't question his heart.
Speaker 3: Are you trying to teach.
Speaker 2: Us that the way to solve a problem with something you love is to throw it away?
Speaker 3: Oh? Please, if they're ever going to pull the plug on me.
Speaker 8: I want you in my corner, honey.
Speaker 6: All right, if he passes obedient score, we can keep.
Speaker 3: On yay right.
Speaker 5: I thought this was a lovely moment, felt real. Homer and Marge's anger was justified, understandable from the kids perspective, it's how can you do this? This is our pres our best friend. It was nice that Bart was lucky enough to have Lisa in his corner to protest for him, because advocate advocate for him, because he wasn't gonna be able to convince them that she did it for him. But I thought it was very nice. Bart is trying to teach that a little helper at the school, just trying to teach him to roll over, just all no success. Notice's in the KJO section. Yeah, she gives Bart a toffee, just mocking him. Really, isn't she a good job?
Speaker 3: Have a toffee?
Speaker 5: Homer and Marge are writing the ad to give away Sanders little helper. March just maybe we should wait till after he's failed, and he's like, no, no, we've got to commit. And from the writers as well, they've got to commit. We've got to see that they're committed to this. Otherwise we won't believe it, because I think I would have believe they would have given away the dog. So they write the note free to get home, world's most brilliant dog, says I love you in command time, just go with it. We'll we'll fix it on the fly. But is still struggling at the at the school. We're getting to follow basic commands. This is not looking good at all. And as where Homer calls or gets a phone call I think from a potential buyer, the new owner, and he fools him you he thinks, pretends that he's a dog on the phone saying I love you, and he's excited. Now we're gonna get rid of this dog. It seems home it's excited to get rid of the dog, but you know, deep down he's not gonna He doesn't want to get rid of him. Now they're trying to teach the boys the dogs sorry, to stay away from the beef Wellington, and you can hear the pain. I thought Nancy was great. Here the pain in Bart's voice trying to say no, stay, stay, please, I love you, don't do this, and he just does it anyway. Meanwhile, the new owner comes to check on Santa's Little Helper and plans to use him to pull carts and not just for mules, and Homer says, you can pick him up tomorrow and you can hear the crack and his voices it to say, well, I guess this is happening. You know, I guess this is what we're going to be doing. Then missus Winthrop is reading her magazine and interrupting, Sands little Helper says, and he sits on his lap. He's just he's just a dog. Man's of all the dogs, I probably want sat as little help. But if he wasn't doing shit, he seems like the most lovable one of all of them. But it's not working for Bart. You just can't get the dog to get through, and he please to her, look, you're getting me paid anyway, can you just pass him? And I can see it from Emily's perspective, it's like, yes, I ain't getting paid, but I also have a reputation too, and it's obviously succeeding because everyone's going to her school. I did really enjoy also, the delivery of Heavens to Merca fright.
Speaker 3: It's so dramatic.
Speaker 5: It's a Snagglepuss saying yes it is. Indeed, Yeah, I love that guy, you do indeed, yep is he stage left stage.
Speaker 7: The world does not need another college graduate who doesn't know how to sick.
Speaker 1: He'll sit, He'll sit.
Speaker 2: Come on, boy, sick sick blah blah.
Speaker 3: Pulling huh correct the dog.
Speaker 2: I don't want to strangle my dog. Blood it boy, Sorry, boy, you can't help being dumb.
Speaker 5: This is the moment that makes people not want to watch this episode because they really just don't like this moment. But I think it needed this moment for the emotional payoff at the end is Bart has gone through everything. He is so desperate to want to keep the dog. He's like, well, will this work? And as soon as he does it, you just he doesn't regret. He apologizes, and it's just it's horrible, it's horrifying, and yeah, it's not good at all. But then Marge finds Lisa making her own quilt and she says, as you were saying earlier, it's one thing to be a link in a chain, it's another to start one of your own. And her patch commemorates the destruction of the original quilt.
Speaker 3: Just the perfect ending. Good for you.
Speaker 5: I think it was great. Yeah, fantastic enter that arc. Then we get barred again in the backyard. It's nighttime the night before and Bart is trying to teach him to sit and it's just not getting through, and Lisa arise and says, look, stop torturing yourself and him. Just enjoy your last night together. And I think that's why I was watching it going. I was kind reminds me of I knew Jet was going the next day, and I'm like, just enjoy being with him, just enjoy that he's here. Kept saying to Elliott in the last week, Aliot say, I want to go do this, So I'm like, mate, enjoy yet, because once he's gone, he's not he's gone, you know, enjoy these last few moments here and and but here. So a really nice little montage. She not thrown the frisbee and just a kid in his best friend essentially. Yeah, and she throw at least throws the ball though, and he doesn't get it.
Speaker 3: So clearly.
Speaker 5: The moment further emphasizes to me that when she came to the dog's defense during the fight, she was more doing it for Bart's sake than her own. Sat as little helper finally understands the words sit though, and as silly and as sort of cliche as it is for me as a fist pump moment.
Speaker 3: If you're a dog lover, you're like, yes, finally, yes.
Speaker 5: He's getting through, and it's it's I really really liked it. And as I said, this episode really takes on the emotional rollercoaster. He shows his talent to Emily.
Speaker 3: Then he really does learn very quickly to pick up on just about everything.
Speaker 5: Yeah, roll over, yeah, and we get the graduation, so Emily says, you son up a bitch, and they get the home is annoyed at first, but then realizes, oh, I do love this dog and start celebrating, and then we get the animal house ending. So the various ones were Sam's dog but he ran away from home, Martin's dog, Lao Suit, the Chinese philosopher who incorporated the concept of yin and yang. He what happened to him? I didn't actually what he did. He ate a poison toad. Oh, that's no good.
Speaker 3: I don't think he died.
Speaker 5: That's no good. And Santas will help a bit Bart but Homer didn't mind.
Speaker 3: And that's the end.
Speaker 5: That is the end of Bart's Dog Gets an F. So yeah, by no means the funniest episode. But I think an important episode an episode that really, when I say important, I think it's every sick one, as I said, needs an episode that makes you relate and respect and love the character. I think this episode does that. It definitely does fair. Yeah, all right, so guys, let us know what your thoughts are Bart's Dog Gets an F. We're gonna be collecting all of your questions and whatnot and we're gonna be going through all those in our monthly community mailbag at the end of the month, So keep sending your questions through. Have you watching us on YouTube? You can subscribe to our channel, give us a thumbs up, and if you are listening to us in podcast world, please continue to rate and review us on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Revy. Do listen to this show, give us five stars as well a few kind ways that would be much appreciated. And as we mentioned, for as little as five dollars, you can get access to over one hundred hours of bonus four finger discount content in your ears immediately, So why not do so? Support the guys here at fourth thing Discant your pals go Handando. For five dollars, you can get access to so much extra shows. We're gonna be launching out Bobs Burger's podcast, which I'm very excited for.
Speaker 3: Yes, I'm waiting for a Tasty Burger, A Tasty Burger.
Speaker 5: Indeed, the episode we're gonna be doing, we've already done out pilot.
Speaker 3: We did Partment.
Speaker 5: I don't think we'll redo the pilot, but I think we're crawl Space, which was a very funny episode.
Speaker 3: Indeed.
Speaker 5: All right, so that is what's coming up on the Fourth Finger Discant Patrio. Plus, we're launching a movie movie reviews again, and we're gonna be reviewing a Goofy movie to celebrate the fifth anniversary with one Rob Paulson, voice actor from the movie as well. He's gonna be joining us for that review, so you can find it on our Patreon as well. But enough shilling, mister Davis. The next episode of four Finger discat we're gonna be doing a season twenty review the No Loan Again, Natural Diddley or whatever it is.
Speaker 3: I can't remember that. It's a season twenty episode. We're gonna do them. We're gonna do them and.
Speaker 5: Be more classic reviews in the near future, but for now, mister Davis, any final words for those incredible listeners out there, amazing
Speaker 3: Listeners, just remember we were RU