Speaker 1: Kaleroga Shock Media.
Speaker 2: And I'm Johnny Magan. We're continuing to follow the death of Rob Reiner. I will continue to do these as standalone episodes and focus it through the lens of stand up comedy. Jerry Seinfeld called Rob Reiner the biggest influence on my career. Seinfeld explained the show Seinfeld would never have happened without Rob Reiner. He saw something no one else could when nobody at the network. Like the early episodes, he saved us from cancelation. That I was working with Carl Reiner's son, who happened to be one of the kindest people in show business seemed unreal. I was naive at the time to how much his passion for us meant. Seinfeld praised Rob's marriage to Michelle Singer, calling it an imprint for me of how it's supposed to work, each one broadening the other. Their death together is impossibly sad. Rob Reiner was on The Howard Stern Show in twenty sixteen and explained how Castle Rock recognized the potential of the Seinfeld series. Rob defended it to NBC. As Rob told the story to Howard, NBC said, we can't have the show. What is the show, just people sitting around talking. As Rob told it, I said, please, I promise you there'll be stories. You can't take the show off the air. It's going to be one of the great shows you've ever had. I mentioned at the end of yesterday's Bonus episode at the President of the United States just made some terrible, horrible comments. I'm not gonna pull any punches here, just awful. Jimmy Kimmel spoke about those comments at length. I'm going to play a very long clip here from Jimmy Kimmel, but I don't think it could be said better.
Speaker 3: Here in Los Angeles, the murder of one of our greatest directors and patriots, Rob Reiner and his wife, Michelle Reiner. And what we need in a time like this, besides common sense when it comes to guns and mental health care, is compassion and leadership. We did not get that from our president because he has none of it to give. Instead, we got a full rambling about nonsense. We got a brief moment of respect for our friends in Australia. We got a brief moment of condolence followed by a thing's happened for the students at Brown and for Robin Michelle Reiner. We got this posts. A very sad thing happened last night in Hollywood. Rob Reiner, a tortured and struggling but once very talented movie director and comedy star, has passed away together with his wife Michelle, reportedly due to the anger he caused others through his massive, unyielding and incurable reflection.
Speaker 4: With a mind.
Speaker 3: Crippling disease known as Trump derangement syndrome sometimes referred to as TDS. He was known to have driven people crazy by his raging obsession of President Donald J. Trump, with his obvious paranoia reaching new heights as the Trump administration surpassed all goals and expectations of greatness, and with the Golden Age of America upon us perhaps like never before.
Speaker 4: May Robin Michelle rest in peace.
Speaker 3: Just when you think he can't go any lower, he somehow finds.
Speaker 4: A way to do that.
Speaker 3: His description of what happened, of course, is not at all what happened, And this is exactly what I've spoken about before, this rush to pin the tale on the donkey in pursuit of the Trump friendly narrative, not to mention blaming his death on the fact that he is an outspoken liberal, insulting someone who's just been murdered, who leaves children behind without having any idea of what actually happened. It's so hateful and vile. When I first saw it, I thought it was fake. My wife showed to me this morning, was like, well lad even for him, that seemed like too much, but nothing.
Speaker 4: Is ever too much for him.
Speaker 3: Of course, he won't see the Fox newsgang screaming about this one, but a couple of Republicans did, to their credit, two of them, I think, And so a few hours later a White House reporter gave Trump the chance to take another shot, to act like a human being.
Speaker 5: Amber of Republicans have announced your statement hundred social murder and.
Speaker 4: Rob Ryer.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 5: I wasn't a fan of his at all. He was a deranged person as far as Trump is concerned. He said he likely knew it was false. Is the exact opposite that I was a friend of Russia, controlled by Russia, you know, the Russia hopes he was one of the people behind it. I think he heard himself in career wise, he became like a deranged person Trump derangement syndrome. So I was not a fan of Reiner at all in any way, shape or form. I thought he was very bad for our country.
Speaker 3: Guy that corroded brain is in charge of our lives. If you voted for that, it's okay to reconsider. It's perfectly fine. And I'm to say I know ver my personal interacts with Rob Reiner, that he would want us to keep pointing out the loathso atrocities that continue to ooze out of this sick and irresponsible man's mouths.
Speaker 4: And so we're going to do that over and over again until the rest of us wake up.
Speaker 2: On that episode, guest Michelle Obama, this is really interesting. Listen to this. Michelle said, We've known them for years, many years, and we were supposed to be seeing them that night. Wow. I don't want to speculate. I don't know where the meeting would have taken place, but boy, very easy to let your mind run wild with that one. Stephen Colbert did a cold open.
Speaker 4: Hi, everybody.
Speaker 1: Normally we start the show with a short cold open about a major news story of the day, but after the terrible news this past weekend, the horrifying Honokah massacre at Bondi Beach, the tragic shootings at Brown University, and the heartbreaking deaths of Rob and Michelle Reiner. All the major stories are.
Speaker 4: Too dark for that.
Speaker 1: Other people's tragedy is sacred ground, and we try very hard not to walk there. But we are going to do a comedy show tonight in light of and in spite of the darkness.
Speaker 2: Seth Meyer has got very serious. He did seven minutes about the Reiners, but I'll play just a chunk here for you.
Speaker 6: We all got the news that Rob and Michelle Reiner had been murdered in their homes. I did not know Rob Michelle very well, but I'd been lucky enough to spend time with them, and they were delightful people to be in a room with. I had Rob here on this show for the first time a couple months ago, and I could have talked to him for hours about his work, about his career. A few years ago, I was lucky enough to get invited to a hundredth birthday party for Norman Lear. Norman Lear was an incredible creator of television. He was the mind and the heart behind some of the greatest shows ever made. One of them was All in the Family. Rob had been in that show. Rob was also at that one hundredth birthday party, and Norman was one hundred years old and he was still very with it. I was sitting next to him, and he could hold a conversation. He was incredible to behold. At the end of the night, remember about forty or fifty people there, the host of the party said, does anybody here have anything? Thatsk Norman? And somebody said, Norman, how did your career start? How did you know you wanted to do what you did?
Speaker 4: And you know, he was a sharp one.
Speaker 6: Hundred year old man, but he was still one hundred year old man. He was sort of struggling to come up with a way to answer that question. And we were all patiently waiting, and then Rob just yelled out from the back of the room. He said, Norman, tell them the story about how you once hit in a birthday present. And then Norman launched into the story that he clearly told a hundred times, if not more, and it was just the most wonderful story and everyone was delighted in it. And as soon as one story ended, Rob, who'd know Norman for so long, would just yell out another greatest hit story, and Norman would tell another incredible tale and I know this sounds like a story about Norman, but it's also a really great story about Rob. Because Rob was known. Rob had this reputation for getting the best out of people, and if you watch his films, you know that is something he had the skill with. But to see him in person and know that's what it was like in his real life as well, it was just so truly special to see.
Speaker 2: Late Nighter reported that Jimmy Fallon did regular monologue jokes about Trump, but stayed away from the Reiner story. In time, Late Night Ers says that Jimmy addressed it in a straightforward post monologue expression of sadness without any mention of Trump's accompanying comments. Johnny Mack will add the opinion that is a poor decision by Jimmy Fallon. Jim Norton tweeted, just a heads up, it's okay to be sad about Rob Reiner's death without letting everyone know that you didn't agree with the politics. No one gives a whot. Continuing to focus this story through a stand up comedy lens and not getting into the gory details of it, but Conan O'Brien's name, making the story Rob Reiner and son, Nick Reiner, were involved in a heated argument on Saturday night at Conan O'Brien's Christmas party. Sources told people Nick was quote freaking everyone out, acting crazy, kept asking people if they were famous. TMZ reported that after the arguments, Robin Michelle left the party. It is unclear if Nick left the party at that time. At the National Comedy Center in j Jamestown, New York, executive director Journey Gunderson says Rob Reiner visited in twenty twenty with his family to cut the ribbon on the Karl Reiner Keep Laughing exhibit. Journey said it was incredible because it wasn't a moment about him, even though his career certainly stands on its own, both within comedy and outside of it. It was about honoring his father's legacy, and he had reverenced in humility, in this kind of steadfast intellect about anything comedic or when it came to the humanity of the art that his father had created, she recalls. In twenty twenty one, Rob Reiner appeared on The Today Show to announce the Comedy Center's acquisition of Karl Reiner's archive. Journey said, my first meeting with Rob was to brief him on what he would then later find in Jamestown and our work at the National Comedy Center, and he really went to bat for us as a cultural institution because he believed in the mission and he believed in the cause. Gunderson said, not a day goes by at the Center where someone isn't laughing about Rob's own contributions, including This is Spinal Tap. She says it was a film that was largely improvised and collaborative, which is kind of rare. So many things are really scripted to a t. So in nineteen eighty four he comes out with his directorial debut of This Spinal Tap. Over the more than ten years since we started building the National Comedy Center, people come up to me all the time with their favorites, so their quote of all time, and it's many times that people tell me the original Spinal Tap is their favorite comedy. Gunnerson says, it feels like they've lost a leader of the entertainment community. Someone online said it best. They said, we've lost one of the few good men, and I thought that was well said. There was a regular episode in the feed earlier today. Back in the morning with a normal episode