Speaker 1: So I was actually just looking at my phone this morning, checking emails, you know, texting my mom, the usual routine, All right, the usual, and it hit me. We always talk about connectivity like it's this purely benevolent force. Yeah, we really think everything is smart, everything talks to everything else. But there's this flip side that we don't usually discuss until it's way too late, which is that connectivity is basically just a synonym for exposure.
Speaker 2: Oh absolutely, that is the reality nobody puts on the marketing brochure.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: Every connection is a door, Yeah, and the more doors you have, the harder it is to make sure they're all locked. Used to be that security was just for you know, the IT guys in the basement protecting the server.
Speaker 1: Ax right, the guys with the physical keys exactly.
Speaker 2: But now if you have a log in or even just a key card to get into the building, you are part of the security.
Speaker 1: Perimeter, which is a terrifying thought, considering I sometimes completely forget my own Netflix password. Most people do, but I mean that's exactly what I were doing this deep duck. Today we are tackling cybersecurity fundamentals, and before anyone listening rolls or eyes thinking this is going to be you know, dry tech.
Speaker 2: Support manuals Pleazon't you now yet?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Hold on, we are decoding the actual mechanics of how the digital world breaks. We're pulling all our insights from the CCNP and CCIE security Core score three fifty seven to one official CIRT Guide.
Speaker 2: I know it's a bit of a mouthful of attich a massive mouthflow, but it really is the gold standard. It's the literal playbook that high level security architects use. And what's great about this source material is that it moves way past the buzzwords, right Like we hear hacker or firewall or malware on the news all the time, but we rarely stop to ask how does that actually work? Yes, like, how does a literal line of code physically steal money from a bank?
Speaker 1: And that's exactly my goal today. I want to move past the headlines and understand the actual machinery.
Speaker 2: Let's do it.
Speaker 1: But let's start with the basics, because I think I think I've been using two terms interchangeably that are actually quite different, information security and cybersecurity. Are these just corporate synonyms or no?
Speaker 2: There's real distinction, and it matters a lot in the industry information security, or INFOSEC. That's kind of the old guard. It's strictly about the data itself. Think of it like a secret recipe in a physical safe. INFOSEC is obsessed with what we call the CIA.
Speaker 1: Triad the intelligence agency No.
Speaker 2: No, it stands for confidentiality, integrity, and availability. Okay, So is the recipe secret? That's confidentiality. Has anyone changed the ingredients without asking? That's integrity? And can the chef actually get the recipe when he needs it? That's availability.
Speaker 1: So INFOSEC is basically just locking the safe.
Speaker 2: Right, But cybersecurity is the whole factory around it. It includes infosec obviously, but it zooms way out to protect the actual operations that rely on that digitized data. So it's bigger, much bigger. It's about securing the delivery trucks, the power grid running the ovens, the third party vendors who supply flower. If your flower supplier gets hacked and sends you poisoned.
Speaker 1: Ingredients, you're safe, is totally fine, but your business is dead exactly.
Speaker 2: That is a cybersecurity problem. It's defending every single ingress and egress connection.
Speaker 1: That helps a lot actually, so, cybersecurity is about the resilience of the whole system, not just keeping a file secret. Right, But if you're trying to secure a factory that complex with thousands of employees and devices, where do you even start. Do you just start like patching holes randomly?
Speaker 2: Well, that's the wild West approach and it almost always fails. You need a map, a set of guardrails. Yeah, and that's where frameworks come in. This source material leans heavily on two big ones, NIST and ISO.
Speaker 1: I've definitely heard of NIST. That's the government one.
Speaker 2: Right now, Yeah, the National Institute of Standards and Technology. It's under the US Department of Commerce.
Speaker 1: To be honest, when I hear government framework, my brain immediately goes to bureaucracy and endless red tape. Is it actually useful for a private company?
Speaker 2: Surprisingly? Yeah, it's a voluntary set of standards. But the NIST Cybersecurity Framework is incredibly practical. It breaks everything down into just five simple functions, which are identify, protect, detect, respond, and recover.
Speaker 1: Identify, Protect, detect, respond, recover.
Speaker 2: Okay, it gives everyone a common language. So if I'm a chief information security officer and I have to go talk to the border directors. I don't bore them with code then fall asleep exactly. I say, here's how we detect a threat and here's how we recover. It's a way to manage risk cost effectively without getting bogged down in the technical weeds.
Speaker 1: And what about ISO.
Speaker 2: So ISO is the international standard, specifically the ISO twenty seven thousand series.
Speaker 1: Okay, how does that differ from NIS.
Speaker 2: If NIST is the playbook you use internally to get your act together. ISO, specifically ISO twenty seven to seven zero one is the actual certification you get to prove to the rest of the world that you're secure. Oh, I see, Yeah, it's specifications for information security management systems. And then there's ISO seven zero zero two, which is more like a code of practice, but generally ISO twenty seven zero zero one is the stamp of approval you put on your website to tell clients, Hey, we actually know what we're doing.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we have the rulebooks down, now let's talk about what we're actually fighting against. The guide breaks this down into basically an equation risk equals threat times vulnerability.
Speaker 2: Sometimes with impact thrown in there too. Yeah, right, I.
Speaker 1: Want to drill into the difference between a threat and a vulnerability, because I feel like I use those words to mean the exact same thing in everyday conversation.
Speaker 2: Most people do think of it this way. A vulnerability is a weakness. It's an unluck window in your house. In tech, it's a flaw and a piece of software code or even a hardware design error just passive, entirely passive. It's just sitting there waiting. In the industry, we use cvees Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures as the standard ID system to track these flaws and the threat. The threat is the potential danger. It's the burglar walking down the street checking those windows. A threat is latent until it's actually realized.
Speaker 1: Okay, So a vulnerability without a threat isn't really risky. Like if you live on a desert island, you can leave your front door wide open, exactly.
Speaker 2: But in the digital world, you are never on a desert island. The threat is always there. Risk is just the probability of that threat actually exploiting that vulnerability.
Speaker 1: The source material mentioned some specific hardware vulnerabilities that sounded like straight up sci fi movie titles Specter and Meltdown.
Speaker 2: Oh, those were huge earth shattering for the industry. And they weren't software bugs. They were hardware vulnerabilities baked into the actual computer processors.
Speaker 1: Which means you can't just download a patch to fix the code. Right.
Speaker 2: Well, they made software mitigations, but the flaw was physical. They exploited something called speculative execution aculative execution.
Speaker 1: That sounds pretty intense. What does it actually mean for a CPU to do that?
Speaker 2: It's actually speed hack. Modern processors are so insanely fast that they literally try to guess what you're going to do next. Wait really, yeah, they execute instructions before they even know if they're actually needed, just to save a few fractions of a millisecond. If they guessed right, great things run faster. If they guessed wrong, they just discard the work.
Speaker 1: So the computer is trying to be psychic.
Speaker 2: It tries, but Specter and Meltdown found a way to snoop on that discarded work. They could trick the processor into speculatively reading secret memory like your passwords, and then reading the tiny physical traces left behind on the chip. That is wild. It proved that even the silicon chips themselves can be vulnerable.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you have the vulnerability, the chip flaw. You have the threat, the bad actor, and then the exploit is the tool they use to actually connect the two precisely.
Speaker 2: The exploit is the crowbar. It's the specific tool or technique written to take advantage of that specific weakness. And here's the really scary part. What's that You don't even have to write your own exploits anymore.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the guide mentioned something called exploit dB. It sounded almost like an Amazon marketplace for hackers.
Speaker 2: It's a massive archive, the exploit database. Security researchers actually post exploits there to help companies see how the flaws work so they can fix them.
Speaker 1: But I'm guessing bad actors use them too.
Speaker 2: Oh constantly. You can literally pull up a command line tool called search bloit and just search the database like show me an exploit for Windows ten boom, here's the exact code you need.
Speaker 1: So the tools are completely democratized at this point, which brings us perfectly to the who the adversaries themselves, because I think pop culture still has this stubborn image of the thread actor, as you know, a lone wolf and a hoodie drinking a monster energy drink and a dark basement.
Speaker 2: And I mean that guy does exist. We call them script kitties.
Speaker 1: Script kitties.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're relatively unskilled individuals who just download those existing tools from places like exploit dB and fire them off without really understanding how the underlying code works.
Speaker 1: So they're dangerous, but maybe not the main problem.
Speaker 2: They're annoying and they cause dan image, but they aren't the biggest danger. The biggest danger is organized crime.
Speaker 1: Like digital mafias exactly.
Speaker 2: This is big, big business. They run actual call centers, they have HR departments, they have profit sharing models. They are motivated purely by money.
Speaker 1: Wow. And then there are nation states right.
Speaker 2: Right governments, and they are usually looking for a quick buck from stolen credit cards. They want intellectual property, state secrets, or they want to plant malware in critical infrastructure for future espionage or defense.
Speaker 1: Their tools must be on a whole other level.
Speaker 2: Custom built, highly sophisticated, and then kind of occupying a weird middle ground between all these, you have activists and terrorist groups.
Speaker 1: Activists are they the ones who view themselves as kind of digital robin hoods.
Speaker 2: In their own minds. Maybe they're motivated by political or social causes. They want to embarrass a target or leak data to make a point. And then terrorist groups similarly are motivated by ideology, usually aiming for disruption and fear.
Speaker 1: So we know who they are and we know they have exploits ready to go. Let's talk about their weapon of choice, malware, the Fund's duck. The guide distinguishes between viruses, worms, and trojans, and I have to admit I just call literally everything a virus. What is the actual mechanical difference?
Speaker 2: It mostly comes down to how they spread and operate. A virus needs a host.
Speaker 1: File like a word document exactly.
Speaker 2: It attaches itself to a spreadsheet or a document. But crucially, a virus needs human interaction to work. You have to actively double click the file to trigger the payload.
Speaker 1: Okay, so if I don't click the attachment, the virus just.
Speaker 2: Sleeps, right. It relies on you making a mistake. A worm, on the other hand, is entirely different. It's kind of the stuff of it nightmares because it does not need human help.
Speaker 1: It just moves on its own.
Speaker 2: Yes, Once a worm breaches a network, it replicates itself and spreads to other vulnerable computers automatically. It just crawls across the network connections. You be fast asleep and a worm is systematically infecting.
Speaker 1: Your entire That is genuinely terrifying. And the trojan, like the trojan horse, exactly.
Speaker 2: Like the myth, it relies entirely on the uninformed user deception. It masquerades is something you actually want, a free game, a PDF invoice, a software.
Speaker 1: Update, so you willingly install it.
Speaker 2: You invite it right through the front door, but inside it carries a malicious payload. The source specifically highlights rats or remote access trojans.
Speaker 1: That sounds extremely bad.
Speaker 2: It's the worst case scenario for a user. Arat like the famous poison ivy toolkit, for example, gives the attacker total control over your machine.
Speaker 1: Define total control.
Speaker 2: It's like they are sitting in your computer chair. They can turn on your webcam, they can record your keystrokes, browse your files, move your mouse. You've essentially become a puppet.
Speaker 1: There was a specific physical delivery method mentioned for these prosians that really stuck with me. The poison Apple. Uh yeah, it sounds like a fairy tale, but it's actually just a USB drive.
Speaker 2: It's a classic, incredibly effective social engineering attack. An attacker just drops an infected USB drive somewhere obvious, a company parking a lot, cafeteria.
Speaker 1: And they make it look tempting exactly.
Speaker 2: Uh, maybe they label it executive Salaries twenty twenty four, or they put it on a physical keychain with a cute photo of a puppy attached to it.
Speaker 1: They just wait, and human curiosity becomes the vulnerability.
Speaker 2: The strongest vulnerability we have. An employee picks it up, their curiosity gets the better of them, and they plug it into their work laptop just to see what's on it.
Speaker 1: And that's it.
Speaker 2: The moment they plug it in, the script auto runs, the RT installs, and the attacker is inside the network. No million dollar firewall can stop a curious employee from plugging in a piece of plastic.
Speaker 1: That is so simple and so devious. But okay, that's how they get in. Once they're inside, what are they doing, because lately it feels like the answer in the news is almost always ransomware.
Speaker 2: Ransomware has completely upended the entire economy of cybercrime. It used to be all about quietly stealing data to sell it on the black market. Now it's about holding the data hostage in plain sight.
Speaker 1: Because they encrypt your files right right.
Speaker 2: They scramble all your documents so you can't read them, and then they demand a massive payment for the digital decryption key.
Speaker 1: But the guide talked about a specific evolution in ransomware that I found really disturbing us. Ransomware as a service.
Speaker 2: This is that industrialization of prime I mentioned earlier. In the old days, a hacker had to be somewhat of a genius. They had to write the complex encryption code, build a secure payment portal in the dark web, manage the decryption keys. It was a lot of work, it was. But now you have highly skilled developers who build the ransomware, groups like the ones behind wanacry CONTI your dark side, right. But they don't actually use the tools themselves. They rent them out.
Speaker 1: So it's literally a franchise model, like opening a fast food restaurant.
Speaker 2: It's exactly like that. You the criminal affiliate sign up, You get a sleek dashboard, you get a two four seven tech support hotline, and a built in payment processing system.
Speaker 1: Tech support for criminals unbelievable.
Speaker 2: You conduct the attack, the victim pays the ransom, and the developer software automatically takes a twenty percent commission off the top before routing the restu.
Speaker 1: Which means any random person with bad intentions and a little bit of cryptocurrency can become a high level thread actor.
Speaker 2: It lowers the barrier to entry to almost zero. That's exactly why we're seeing such a massive, sustained spike in attacks on targets like hospitals and school districts. It's not usually masterminds, it's unskilled affiliates using rented military grade tools.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's pivot slightly. Let's say the attacker isn't using ransomware. Say they want to quietly steal secrets, maybe a nation state trying to steal blueprints for a new jet engine. Okay, they're inside the network, how do they actually get that massive amount of data out without the company's security team noticing?
Speaker 2: The guide calls this exfiltration, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, xfiltration, And this is where we get into real high level spycraft. If you just tried to eat email a terabyte of proprietary data to evildash haacker dot com, the corporate firewalls could catch it and block it immediately, obviously, so they use a technique called tunneling. They hide the stolen data inside normal traffic that the network explicitly allows wait.
Speaker 2: Allowed traffic mean like just regular web browsing exactly. Take DNS, for example, the domain name system. Every single time you type Google dot com into your browser, your computer sends a tiny request out to a DNS server, asking, Hey, what is the IP address for Google dot com?
Speaker 1: Right, it's the Internet's phone book.
Speaker 2: Exactly, and the server replies, no, company blocks DNS requests because if you block DNS, the Internet effectively stops working for your whole company.
Speaker 1: Okay, but how do you hide a massive jet engine blueprint inside a tiny phone book request?
Speaker 2: You chop the blueprint up into tiny, tiny pieces, then you encode those pieces into the web address itself. Oh wow, So the malware on the infected computer sends a DNS request for something like secret dash part dash one dot evildash hacker dot com.
Speaker 1: Ah. I see, so the company's DNAs server just thinks it's looking up a normal website, right.
Speaker 2: It dutifully forwards the request out to the Internet. But the attacker actually owns the domain evildashacker dot com. So when that request hits their server, they just love that first part secret part one and send back a fake IP address.
Speaker 1: And then the malware sends Part two.
Speaker 2: Secret Part two dot evildashacker dot com. They do this thousands and thousands of times.
Speaker 1: It's like smuggling a massive dictionary out of a prison by asking the guard to mail one single letter of a word every day.
Speaker 2: That is a perfect analogy to the guard the firewall. It just looks like someone really likes looking up long, weirdly named websites. But effectively you are tunneling gigabytes of data right through the front door.
Speaker 1: That's incredible. And the guide mentioned tools for this too, right, like iodine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, iodine is a popular tool for DNS tunneling and for HTTP or TCP tunneling. Attackers use tools like netcap.
Speaker 1: So if the malware is that sneaky, how does the blue team, the defenders, how do they catch this stuff? How do you even figure out what a piece of malwaar is programmed to do?
Speaker 2: You have to capture a sample of it and dissect it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: We generally use two main methods. First is static.
Speaker 1: Analysis, static meaning it's not moving.
Speaker 2: It's like an autopsy. You don't actually run the code. You use decompilation tools like ida pro or Gidra, which fun fact, was actually developed and released by the NSA.
Speaker 1: Really, the NSA gave away a hacking.
Speaker 2: Tool, well, reverse engineering tool. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: You use it to look at the DNA of the virus to see exactly what is programmed to do, looking for recognizable functions or.
Speaker 1: Strings of text, and what if the code is scrambled or you can't tell just by looking at it.
Speaker 2: Then you move to dynamic analysis. You put the malware in a sandbox or a secure virtual machine. It's basically a fake isolated computer environment that looks real. Then you actually execute the virus and just watch what.
Speaker 1: Happens, like putting it in an interrogation room. Does it try to delete files? Does it try to phone home?
Speaker 2: Exactly? But malware authors are smart, they know all about sandboxes, so modern malware often has anti sandbox feed is built right in.
Speaker 1: What does that mean? It knows it's being watched.
Speaker 2: It wakes up and does a quick environment check. Yeah, it asks, is my hard drive remarkably small? Is the user's mouse moving in a perfectly straight line instead of naturally? Does my network card have a generic virtual sounding MSc address?
Speaker 1: It literally checks to see if it's trapped in the matrix.
Speaker 2: That's exactly what it's doing, and if it detects that it's in a virtual machine, it just plays dead. It does absolutely nothing malicious. The analyst looks at it and says, oh, this is totally safe and lets it through.
Speaker 1: And then when it gets onto a real employee laptop, it detonates. Man, that is devious. Okay, we've covered the network, the hardware, and the malware, but we have to talk about the web. We basically live in our browsers. Now, what are the big technical threats there? Because the guide went really deep into SEQL injections.
Speaker 2: Golah. Yeah, this is the absolute granddaddy of web vulnerabilities. It targets the database sitting behind the website.
Speaker 1: The guide used the snow example, which I found really helpful. But let's try to visualize for the listener. Say you're at a normal login screen. It asks for a username.
Speaker 2: Right, Normally, you'd type in a name like Smith. The website takes that name and talks to its database using a language called SQL. It basically says select the user record where the name equals smith.
Speaker 1: But in an injection attack, you don't type a normal name, No.
Speaker 2: You type actual database commands into the user name box. This specific example in the book is typing snow, then an apostrophe, then O R one equals one.
Speaker 1: Walk me through why that specific string breaks things snow or R one with one.
Speaker 2: The apostrophe tricks the database into thinking the name input is finished. Then comes the injected command or R one equals one. In basic logic, the number one always equals the number one. That statement is universally true. Okay, so you fundamentally changed the core question. The database is asking itself.
Speaker 1: Instead of asking, fine, user snow, it's now asking.
Speaker 2: What it asked The database find the user snow or return any record where one equals one. Since one always equals one, the database evaluates that is true for every single entry it has. Oh no, yep, it dumps the entire database passwords, credit cards, emails, everything, right under the screen. This is what we call an inband SQL injection, where you see the results directly. There's also blind sickly, where you have to guess based on how the server behaves. But the concept is the same, and all.
Speaker 1: That happens just because the website developers didn't configure the log inbox to reject special characters exactly.
Speaker 2: It's a massive failure of what we call input sanitization.
Speaker 1: Okay, so that attacks the database directly. What about XSS cross sit scripting?
Speaker 2: So XSS flips the script. It attacks the user, not the server. The website server is perfectly fine, but the attacker uses the website as a delivery mechanism to attack the visitors.
Speaker 1: How does that work in practice?
Speaker 2: Imagine a forum or a blog with a comment section. If the website is vulnerable to XSS, I can post a comment that isn't just regular text, it's actually a hidden the line of jagascript code. That specific type is called stored X or persistent EXSS.
Speaker 1: So I post my malicious comment and the website just saves it to the page.
Speaker 2: It saves it. It thinks it's just a normal comment. Now you come along later to read the blog. Your browser downloads all the comments to display them on your screen. But when it hits my comment, it doesn't just display text. Your browser actually executes my JavaScript code.
Speaker 1: And what could that code do to me?
Speaker 2: Almost anything your browser can do the most common goal is stealing your session cookies, which are basically your temporary digital ID cards, and quietly sending them back to me. Now I can log into that site as you bypassing your password completely. There's also reflected XSS, where the script comes from a militia of link you click, like in a fishing email. But stored XSS is terrifying because it's like planting a landmine on a public road. Everyone who visits the page gets hit.
Speaker 1: And finally, there was CSRF cross site request forgery. The guide also called this session writing.
Speaker 2: This one is incredibly sneaky because it weaponizes the trust a website has in your browser. Let's say you log in to your banking website, you check your balance, and you just leave the tab open in the background.
Speaker 1: Okay, totally normal behavior.
Speaker 2: Then in a new tab you click a completely different link I sent you in an email.
Speaker 1: Okay, so now I'm on your malicious site. In tab two.
Speaker 2: That malicious site has a hidden automatic script that essentially shouts over to your browser, Hey tell the bank and the other tab to transfer one thousand dollars to account x right now.
Speaker 1: But wait, why would the bank actually listen to a random command like that?
Speaker 2: Because the request is technically coming from your browser and you are currently logged in, the bank sees your valid session cookie attached to the request and just assumes that you pushed a button to make that transfer.
Speaker 1: So I forged your request without even knowing I did it.
Speaker 2: Exactly you were writing on your own valid session.
Speaker 1: That makes the logout buttons seem so much more critical than I ever realized.
Speaker 2: It really really is. Closing the tab isn't always enough. You need to kill the session.
Speaker 1: We have covered a truly massive amount of ground today, from the high level governance stuff like NIST and ISO, all the way down to the gritty details of SQL code tunneling and dropping poisoned USB drives and parking lots.
Speaker 2: It's a vast ecosystem.
Speaker 1: It is. If we zoom out for a second, what does the core takeaway from all this material?
Speaker 2: The big picture is that security isn't a wall you build once and just walk away from. It's a living, breathing operation because the attackers are constantly innovating. Look at ransomware as a service. They are quite literally turning cybercrime into a scalable franchise model.
Speaker 1: That was definitely the most striking part for me, the democratization of the threat. It's not just nation state superspies anymore. It's literally anyone who can afford to rent the software exactly.
Speaker 2: And because the threat is democratized, the defense has to be democratized too. It can't just fall in the IT department's shoulders. It has to be the entry level employee who knows not to plug in that random USB drive. It has to be the web developer who double checks that they sanitize the log inbox.
Speaker 1: Input, the average user who actually clicks log out on their bank account.
Speaker 2: Please always log out of your bank account.
Speaker 1: I'm going to go do that immediately after we finish recording, but I want to leave everyone listening with a thought based on what we just discuss. If we're entering an era where sophisticated, military grade ransomware is sold as a service to unskilled criminals, are we reaching a point where anyone can be a high level threat actor? And if so, what does that mean for our own personal digital security moving forward.
Speaker 2: It's a very sobering question to think about.
Speaker 1: It really is. Thank you so much for guiding us through this digital mindfield today.
Speaker 2: My pleasure stay safe out there.
Speaker 1: And thank you for listening. Hopefully you are looking at your phone a little differently right now, not just as a magic connection machine, but as something that is actively worth protecting until next time, keep your firewalls up and your curiosity open. This has been the deep dive