Speaker 1: Hello, everybody, Welcome to the buck Eye Weekly Podcast. I'm Tony GM here as always with Tom our time.
Speaker 2: How's it going, Tony?
Speaker 3: It is going just fine. Got a chance to kind of look forward. Now we did our Big ten media Day stuff, and now it is time to actually focus on the season itself, or at least the sort of we talked about the Big ten medi days being like the unofficial start of the season. The start of fall camp is like the like slightly more official startup season.
Speaker 1: You see people tweet now like only five more saturdays to go. I was like, nah, fam, it's here. This is football has begun, it has sprung. And one of the things that we like to talk about and we're going to be talking about in these next two shows basically who has the most to gain? Who can make the most of their fall camp opportunity. Today we're gonna be talking about the offensive side of the ball, where a bunch of newcomers, a bunch of established guys, but only a handful of really like star type of people. So I think there's a bunch of different guys who have the most to gain or who can make a sizeable rise. Tom, give me your first guy that you're thinking about.
Speaker 3: So I think, to me, this is a pretty easy one. And the guy with the most to gain in fall camp to me is Ian Moore, who is one of two things is going to happen with Ian Moore. He is either going to be almost certainly the starting left tackle of Ohio State if he is deemed to be one of the best five, or he's going to not be a starter for Ohio State at least for now.
Speaker 2: And you know, to me.
Speaker 3: The delta between those two is pretty big if you're going to be the starting left tackle or not starting at all at least to start the year.
Speaker 2: So to me, I think he's someone who has the most on the line.
Speaker 3: I think there is probably a guy who is, you know, in the conversation for right guard who might also be in this conversation. We'll see if you choose to take him next to or if I get to talk offensive line again.
Speaker 1: Well, no, it's interesting you say most on the line, and I was thinking about this, and I think you could say Ian Moore has the most to lose in terms of that starting position, where most view it like, yeah, that makes the most sense, and he's going to be the left tackle but if he doesn't win that, nobody's talking about him as the right guard really, and who they are talking about is the right guard is possibly Josh Padilla, who nobody is really talking about is being a starter. So it's me, Yeah, you could talk about him having the most to gain this fall camp, because what does he lose if he doesn't win a job? But he's still just your backup center, your backup guard, maybe the sixth guy on the line or the seventh guy on the line, which he already is. So really he's kind of got nothing to lose and only things to gain, and that that's a sizable gain to go from reserve offensive lineman to now your starting right guard. And I think there are people who would prefer that because it would keep Austin Siraveld at left tackle. And when I say people, I'm not talking about coaches they want the best five. I'm just saying people like us on the outside, in terms of just having watched football for a long time, do you really want to move your left tackle? You're good established left tackle inside for somebody who has not established and maybe an upgrade or at the very least the same Ian Moore, do you like while we all expect him to be left tackle, Like, what is an acceptable performance from him this year slightly worse than Austin Siraveld.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a good question, and you know that's not how the decision is going to get made. The decision is going to get made Austin Sierrevel that left tackle plus Josh Pititia at right guard, and you know, could it be Gay van Cycle, Sure it could be. We're just kind of going based off of where things seem like they're trending heading into fall camp. But you know, is it going to be Austin Servell at left tackle and Josh Pittitia at right guard or is it going to be Ian Moore at left tackle and Austin Sirivell at right guard? Which of those two combinations is better? And you know, that's a lot of moving parts where it's not just one guy head to head versus another. There's also a how well does Austin Serevel translate into the guard position? My sense is that he should move in there and be very very effective there, but that's another piece of this conversation. So yeah, I know that we have been talking about it all year, as probably Ian Moore is more likely to be the guy who ends up in that starting lineup. But we just we haven't seen Josh Pittiet. Josh Pitdty was banged up so much last fall he missed the spring.
Speaker 2: We just haven't seen him.
Speaker 3: So it's entirely possible if Josh buddy is, you know, one hundred percent healthy, ready to go out and really kind of seizes the day and seizes the position in fall camp. It wouldn't It would absolutely not shock me to see that happen, because, as you said, there is certainly an argument to be made for if it ain't broke, don't fix it at left tackle, and it was not. It was not broken last year with Austin Sierveld at all. All right, so let's move on to I think we got to talk wide receivers here, and you know this is this is one of these things where I could say and even about four names here at the wide receiver position, and Tony would go, yeah, I could see that. So Tony, I will start with Devin McEwen just because he's someone who you know, I think he's There are other guys that you could see slotting in a couple different positions. Devin McEwan feels like he's your Z and can he kind of sees that starting position at the Z receiver spot. That's the you know, we just we'll refresh everyone's memory. The X is kind of the you know, tall possession receiver type. That's sort of you know you like Ben Victor was kind of an X receiver Z. That's your sort of speedy downfield guy. Devin Smith was kind of the prototypical X receiver for Ohio State. That's where there's sort of slotting Devin McEwan in right now, and the question is just can he win that job?
Speaker 2: Can he?
Speaker 3: We have seen him do it at Utsa, but that's a pretty big jump from Utsa up to Ohio State, so can he take that necessary step. The passing game this spring was a little wonky, and that's kind of true every spring. It's rare that you have a passing game and in the spring that everyone kind of.
Speaker 2: Goes wow, two thumbs up. I loved it. It was better than kats. It just that doesn't happen in the spring.
Speaker 3: But can it happen in the fall, because it needs to start happening for someone in the fall, And I think Devin McEwan is right at the top of my list of people that you really you need to start happening for him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and if you can have it happen for a veteran who has been in ranked opponent games, like he's been in big games and has produced and the other games not really produced so much against the time opponents because he's playing for Texas San Antonio and it's a lot easier for the Texas or the Texas A and MS that he's playing against to locate him and hold him back. If he can establish himself, like if he erases the doubt, then that would be huge, and I think there is doubt right now. So yeah, there is a lot to gain for him and person you know, personally, professionally, there's a lot to gain, you know, for Devin McEwan, who still has another year of eligibility if he wanted to come back as well. So even if he's even if he did what he did like a couple of years ago, it's like forty two receptions. I think Ohio State would take forty two receptions right now. But is it for four hundred and forty yards like it was at UTSA or is it for six hundred, which Ohio State would much rather have from their Z receivers. So I think you're right, there's a lot for him to gain here. He's somebody asked to. As you said, somebody has to step up at receiver. And you know, does it have to be somebody who emerges as the starter or can it just be like three guys emerge fifty percent more than they were? You know, like, is it that sort of thing? Would you rather have two guys or one guy and three other guys that you know they they you can't ignore them, that sort of thing. And if Devin McEwan can just become a guy, that would be huge. And yeah, you can say the same thing about any of the receivers being that that person, you know. And I look at the list and I really feel like it's it's kind of just is it lazy time on my part to say, Chris Henry Jr. Who go ahead tell me I'm lazy. No, I know, you text me all the time the how lazy I am.
Speaker 3: So well, it's it's it's not lazy because then it allows you to put Churse Henry Jr. His name in the title, and therefore that, and people love Chris Henry Junior content, so therefore I think it's less lazy and more strategic strategy.
Speaker 1: There you go, but really there's an opportunity for a freshman to step up and emerge, and not just him brock boys Well, you could throw it to your Quaid and Guildford in there as well, and if you want to also get everybody in there, say Jaden Rickets. There's opportunities for the young guys Philip Bell does Z Jones like, this is not such an established group of receivers that somebody young can't come up and say, well, I guess if nobody wants the job, I'll take it. And we know Chris Henry Junior has that physical ability kind of plays the same position as Jeremiah Smith though, So then maybe maybe the real answer there is brock Boyd competing against Devin McEwan for that Z spot, also Kyle Parker in as well, mixing back between the slot and the Z. So who has the most to gain whoever wins that Z spot? I would say, and you can go ahead and throw in any of three names in there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think you could throw You know, you haven't, said Brandon Innis's name on this show, Boy Brandon Innis has a lot to gain if he can really show that he can take that next step after a solid season last year, but a season that even he talked about wasn't good enough. So can he take that next step? But yeah, you want to talk about Kyle Parker. Absolutely, He's someone who played for Cortez Hankton at LSU last year. Cortez Hankton is a big Kyle Parker fan. That's why you bring him with you. If you don't like him, you can say, all right, we need to worry about you anymore. And he brought him with him, So that tells you a lot about what Cortez Hankton thinks that Kyle Parker could be. But again, to go from three hundred and thirty I think yards is what he had last year to can you be a six hundred yard receiver this year?
Speaker 2: Even a five hundred yard receiver? You your question.
Speaker 3: Earlier, would they rather have one guy who just lights it up? Or would you rather have three or four guys who are like pretty good?
Speaker 2: I think either one of those would be okay.
Speaker 3: If you get someone who turns into a just goes just no clear, just go super nova.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that you would, you would prefer that.
Speaker 3: And if that's you know, Chris Henry Junior, Robrot Boyd or whoever I mean, Kyle Parker, Brendan in this, whoever it is, they would I think they would take that with a smile on their face.
Speaker 2: But I think more.
Speaker 3: Likely is if you can just get three or four guys who just are better than last year. You get three or four guys who are five hundred, six hundred, seven hundred yard receivers, and you have Jeremiah Smith on the other side of the field. That's enough to kind of keep you, you know, to get you where you need to be. Uh my, next one, let's see I had I had a lot of wide receivers listed here. How about let's let's hit the running back room real quick and let's just let's say Isaiah West because Bo Jackson, I think Bo Jackson has set a baseline of yeah, this is he's a thousand yard rusher as a true freshman, he's going to be better as a sophomore. You're going to take a step forward just because you're bigger, You're you're healthier, you're more prepared, more physically prepared to play a full college season. It feels like, you know, if he's a twelve hundred yard back or a fifteen hundred yard back. Yeah, either one of those certainly possible. But he should be as good as he was last year or better. Isaiah West is someone who has missmissed so much time between last spring, last fall camp, this spring, portions of the.
Speaker 2: Season, like he just was not.
Speaker 3: It feels like he hasn't been able to stay healthy. But when he's been healthy, you've seen the flashes from him. So, Okay, he missed this spring. Now that he's back, now that he's healthy, what does it look like in fall camp? And can he earn himself you know, the really solid RB two kind of position or you know, maybe it's one one in one A or whatever. Can he really earn himself a regular spot in that rotation for Carlos Lachlan, Because if he can, I think he's someone who could really be a breakout a star for Ohio State this year.
Speaker 2: I would agree with that.
Speaker 1: And I think there are other names in that running back room as well, And I'll mention legend Bay just so if I want to put in the title, I can as well. But the name that I'm really thinking about is in terms of most to gain, Turbo Rogers kind of like the Josh Padilla, where everybody just understands, like right now, probably not a starter, probably won't play in most games unless there's in terms of offense, unless there's a blowout or an injury or something like that. There's a long way to go to get Turbo Rogers on the field. But he has dealt with injuries, he's he's got some of the same skill set as Legend Bay. And so when everybody talks about Legend Bay, this Legend Bay, that you've got another guy who is the second fastest running back on the team and Turbo Rodgers, who had some moments in fall camp last year that were very good because he just gets lost. The defensive line loses him basically, and then he just pops out and he squirts out and he's gone. And I just wonder if this is an opportunity for him in fall camp to remind people that I'm still here. How was with the number five running back in the twenty twenty five class, I still have ability, I'm not going anywhere, and I'm gonna I'm gonna play this year. Now, how do you play four or five running backs? You can't. So that's why I like there is a lot to gain in fall camp. And another thing is like, well, the investment has already been made in so many other people. Is their room for him here in terms of playing time? And that's why fall camp is so important. You just force the hand.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and this is not someone who you have to earn your playing time. But this is not someone who has to do something spectacular this fall to get Carlos Lachlan to believe in Carlos Laughlin was recruiting Turbo Rogers when he was still the running backs coach at Oregon.
Speaker 2: So this is someone who has been a big, big believer in in.
Speaker 3: Turbo Rogers since Turbo Rodgers was just barely kind of showing.
Speaker 2: Up on the scene.
Speaker 3: And he's kind of been a little bit of a forgotten per in that running back room because again, he's just been banged up so much. And you have other guys who are guys who were in his class who put up a thousand yard season or guys who were in his class who plaited more than he did. And then you have Legend Bay who's like everyone's going, ooh, new shiny. And you bring in Jakobe Jackson, who's kind of done it at times at Florida and who comes in as a veteran, and it's very easy. And you have you only have so many carries, so it's very easy to go thro Well, I've said four running backs names.
Speaker 2: You only need a pair in a spare.
Speaker 3: Traditionally that's a pair in two spares. You certainly can't go any deeper than that. You certainly can, or this is an opportunity for him to potentially to climb that ladder this fall.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a pair in two spares does not rhyme, but you know it does. Two pairs and two spares, and that's about exactly what they have in to him right now. I don't think they're going to be able to use them all, but there you go. Some names that have a lot to have room to basically make an impact, a lot of the most to gain. As we said, go ahead. If did we miss somebody, let us know in the comments. If we're watching yoube if you are watching YouTube you have not hit that thumbs up, please do so. Subscribe to the channel five star writing review on the audio side is always appreciated, and as you know, please come over and find us at Buckeye Insiders dot com. Would love to see you there. If you're a listener and you want to watch, you can find us at YouTube dot com slash at Buckeye Insiders. That will do it from here. Thank you all for tuning in and we'll talk to you all. Letter what use.
Speaker 2: Westing Way?
Speaker 1: The non me?
Speaker 2: I wish you the moment, nothing.
Speaker 1: Everywhere, my god.
Speaker 2: If you can tell me that's the moor, it's all right. We can steal current. Leave tonight