Speaker 1: It's Night Side with Dan Ray WBS Costin's new.
Speaker 2: Radio Welcome back, everybody. There was a very ugly incident that took place in Newton on Washington Street yesterday evening. Most of the well, I think probably I haven't watched all the Boston television news stations, but I would say that most of the Boston television news stations are covered this. It occurred last night, and apparently there was a relatively small group of pro Israel demonstrators who were doing what I would call a standout, meaning there they're standing on a on a sidewalk with an Israeli flag. Maybe there was some signs. I'm not sure, but I have the the Globe article here, and so just just so that you realize that I'm I don't make things up. This was issue today late this afternoon piece by Dan McDonald hit some others Nick Stoika and is He Buyer's Globe staff and Globe correspondent. And so I'm relying upon the TV news stations, but I'd like to hear from some of you as to what you think about this, because this is a pretty weird story. So these folks are doing a standout, they have every right to be on a public street, sidewalk, public sidewalk, waving at cars or whatever. We see it all the time if you drive the Cape, you see people on standouts on bridges. It's what democracy is all about. It's the First Amendment. All of us have a right to free speech. We have the right to peacefully assemble. So these folks are concerned about the fate of the hostages, they're concerned about the state of Israel. Clearly amongst them, there may be people who are concerned about the deaths of innocent people in Gaza, but there with Israeli flags and all of a sudden, According to the TV reports that I saw an individual looked like a younger guy. Most of the folks who seemed to be in the standout were, you know, middle aged or older. Okay, so this younger guy apparently engaged in some sort of shouting match across Washing Street. Now, Washington Street is a pretty busy street if you're familiar with Newton, it's a main street. So at some point I looked at video on TV of this guy running across the street. He looks as he comes across the street. I have no idea how big he was. Because there was nothing to compare him. But he looks like he has the intensity of an NFL fullback, if you've seen the video, comes running across the street and apparently jumps one of the individuals. And again I'm not a witness, but it appears to me that he ends up on the ground in a wrestling match with this individual. Now I don't know what words were exchange. I wasn't there, And as a matter of fact, I saw the video at noontime. They had taken the audio out, which maybe there were too many bad words and they damn a chance to bleep it. So this guy comes running across the street. He obviously is not happy. He's not coming across the street to join the demonstration, the pro Israel demonstration. And next thing, he is in a brawl. There were again that looked like they might have been five or six people. I can't tell you how many in total there were. Maybe some of you were there and you could help me out. But he initiates the brawl for a couple of reasons. Okay, I don't know why he did it, but he's on one side of the street. He goes across the street. No one come from the Israeli group or from the the pro Israeli group. The group with the Israeli flags goes and approaches him. He comes racing across the street again looking like an NFL running back head down, plows into one or two of the people, ends up on the ground, and there's a brawl, and apparently there is a gun that discharges, and he's wounded, and apparently is pretty seriously wounded. I do not know that what his medical condition is, but at least as of tonight, he was still alive, although it was its serious condition. According to The Globe, a small group. This was a six point forty last night. A small group of pro Israeli demonstrators run one side of the street when an individual apparently completely randomly walking down the other side of the street, shouted at across the street at the demonstrators. This is according to Middlesex District Attorney Mary and Ryan told reporters Thursday night. Words were exchanged back and forth across the streets. She said at a briefing at Newton Police headquarters. At some point the man not involved in the protest cross the street. Well, he did more than across the street. He ran across the street and he jumped on one of the demonstrators. According to the district attorney, a scuffle ensued, during which the person was shot by a member of the demonstrators group. A video or part of the incident posted on social media showed a man shouting across the street at a small group of pro Israel demonstrators, some of whom had Israeli flags. He accused the demonstrators of defending genocide. You're sick, he told them. One of the demonstrators reported that he was stupid, and this is pretty much what the TV stations reported today as well. Then all help broke loose. The man ran across the street tackled one of the demonstrators. Both men went to the ground. The other demonstrators stomped on the face and neck of the man who had rushed across the street. In the video, an on looker could be heard instructing someone else call the police, while the woman screamed as men wrestled on the ground. It was chaos. Someone on the video can be heard saying, grab my pistol. The video does not show the actual shooting. Authority said the man who was shot suffered life threatening injuries and was being treated at a local hospital. He has not been identified so amen. One of the demonstrators was arrested and he was in court today. His name is his last name is Hayes. Let me make sure that I have His name is Scott Hayes. He's not from Newton. He is from framing him. He faces charges of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon and violation of a constitutional right causing injury. Well, that charges to me a little question. Well, because I don't know what constitutional right the man who came running across the street to attack had. I think that that is a bad charge and not guilty. Plea was entered in his behalf bail set at five thousand dollars, and Hayes was ordered to stay away from the alleged victim and the city of Newton, and to abide by a curfew from seven pm at night obviously to six a m. Of the morning. Newton Police responded at six forty Thursday to this report of a disturbance at Washington and Harvard Streets, not far from the Newtonville Commuter rail stop. So this individual, Scott Hayes, he's forty seven years old. As I looked at the video of him leaving the court tonight, and I looked at the video that was shown on the scuffle and on the ground, it would appear to me that Hayes is the person that the demonstrator came across the street to attack. Now, I'm sad that anyone gets shot. I'm sad that anyone got shot, but it seems to me that the person who precipitated this, ironically is the victim. I mean, is the gun shot victim. Now, all of this unfolds against the backdrop of what is going on in Israel, and what is going on in Gossip, and what is going on in the West Bank, and what is going on in the Philadelphia Corridor, and what is going on throughout the Middle East. But the question is why is that that we as Americans can't have our rights to demonstrate peacefully as the Israeli, as the pro Israel demonstrators were demonstrating peacefully without some lunkhead running across the street and attacking them. Now, again, not happy that the man was shot, but he put himself in that situation. I assume had no idea that someone in the group had a gun. But he suffered a horrific consequence. And my suspicion is that he's going to be charged. He was the one who came across the street. He's the one who jumped mister what appeared to me to be mister Hayes. He should be charged, and I suspect he will be charged with assault, battery at a minimum, at a minimum, as well as violating the First Amendment rights of the pro Israel demonstrators. So I hope many of you have seen the story, have heard of the story. It is always a dangerous practice for a talk show host to talk about the story that is new. It was shocking when I watched it at noon, and it was equally shocking when I watched it tonight at six o'clock. But I'd like to talk about it. What is the lesson to be learned here? I think it's pretty obvious what the lesson to be learned here, and that is live and let live or live and let others demonstrate as long as they're demonstrating peacefully. Six seven, two, five, four ten thirty six one seven nine three one ten thirty Those are the two numbers that will get you on the air. Give us a call. Whatever your point of view on this is there's a lot of facts that haven't come out. Apparently tonight, Channel five, I believe, was reporting that the gun was legally registered as not as if this guy was carrying a gun that he didn't have a right to carry. I don't know if that's going to diminish that's obviously the facts of the case are going to be really important. The defense lawyers are going to have to sort this out. This is a story that's that we're going to follow for some time, no doubt. But it just seems to me that if the guy had stayed on the other side of the street, he would not in the hospital tonight, the man who allegedly shot him would not be facing some serious charges. A couple of my listeners tonight called and said, I hope you'll be covering this story, this incident. Well, I am six one, seven, two, five, four ten thirty six one seven, nine three ten thirty your reaction to it coming back on Nightside.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World Nightside Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: All Right, well, the phone responsor is not overwhelming, to be really honest with you, So I'm going to assume most people haven't heard of the story, so I'm going to phrase the story as best I can to see what you think. I think all of you have heard me read the facts of the story. That a man is in very serious condition tonight at a local hospital suffering from life threatening injuries. He was in Newton last night across Washington Street, which is a thoroughfare. It's not a small road, okay, and he was exchanging insults with someone on the other side. There were a group of people, small group of people with a couple of is Israeli flags, and they were demonstrating on behalf of Israel and on behalf of the hostages. So this gentleman, we do not have his name or what his affiliation is with any organization. If so, we don't even know. He could have just been an individual walking down the street, but he made the decision to run across the street, charge at the demonstrators and tackle one of the demonstrators. And apparently the guy that he tackled allegedly had a legitimate firearm, a right to carry. Scott Hayes forty seven years old, and this individual was shot and as they say, unknown his name. He has been Oh he suffered some pretty serious injury. So let me if I can play some sound for you. This is the district attorney, Middlesex County District Attorney maryon Ryan. She's identifying the shooter, not the victim, or not the man who was shot. The shooter Cut fifty nine ROB.
Speaker 3: That individual whose name is Scott Hayes, aged forty seven, from framing him is under arrest. He right now is charged with as salt and battery with a dangerous weapon, and violation of a constitutional right causing injury. Now, it's our understanding that that was his gun and that he legally possessed that gun.
Speaker 2: So that's why is he charged with violating someone's constitutional right. If that person came over and attacked him, that would be my first question. The district attorney does acknowledge in cut number sixty ROB, Cut number sixty that the other individual initiated the assault, initiated the physical contact Cut sixty ROB.
Speaker 3: Ultimately, that individual came very rapidly across the street and tackled one of the demonstrators.
Speaker 4: There was a scuffle that.
Speaker 3: Was going on on the street, and at some point mister Hayes used a gun and fired a shot. That struck the individual who had come across the street.
Speaker 2: Allegedly Madam district attorney allegedly used a gun. Okay, let's be let's be fair and impartial. The Mayor of Newton, ruth An Fuller, I think very appropriately, expressed some gratitude that the situation wasn't worse. Cut sixty one please, Rob.
Speaker 5: I am very grateful to a Chief George McMains and the Newton Police, as well as to the Newton Fire and our ambulance service Coastal Ambulance, who were also immediately on scene.
Speaker 2: In an earlier bite which I have here, I want to play for you, the district attorney pretty clearly who indicated who initiated the assault. So again, oftentimes charges can be dropped, they can be minimized, they can be increased. But as of this moment, Scott Hayes is facing charge of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon and a violation of a constitutional right. I assume of the man who he allegedly shot. This is cut number fifty eight. Rob again, d a Ryan.
Speaker 3: Words were exchanged back and forth. That individual, who was not part of the group, at some point began crossing the street, ultimately came across and jumped upon one of the demonstrators. A scuffle ensued. During that scuffle, the individual who had come across the street was shot. The individual who came across the street has sustained life threatening injuries and is being treated at a local hospital.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but again, I saw the video of this guy coming across the street. I mean, he looked like a running back for the Patriots. He was intent on coming over there. He wasn't coming over to chat with someone. He was coming over to, in my opinion, confront and apparently he just came over and jumped. Wbz's Penny commit Actually, I saw her story, which was very well done today by the way. She young reporter at WBZTV in Boston, and this is her reported new time cut fifty six.
Speaker 6: Rob It all started yesterday on Washington Street, the Middle Sexdya says a small group of pro Israel protesters were holding a peaceful demonstration. Then a seemingly random man confronted the group, yelling from across the street.
Speaker 4: They were saying that you've killed two hundred thousand people, which is, you know, repeating lies. And honestly, the story here should be blaming the perpetrator of those lies.
Speaker 6: Police say the man then tackled one of the protesters. A scuffle ensued before police say the man who charged at the group was shot and seriously hurt. Investigators believe forty seven year old Scott Hayes of Framingham pulled the trigger.
Speaker 2: So that was report of Penny commits report this morning, which has stood the test of time. She's right on the money, very accurate. And then we have one final report, part of a report that she filed, and then we'll go to phone calls cut fifty seven.
Speaker 6: Hay's had dozens of supporters inside the courtroom today, including friend and fellow Jewish community member Elite Schultz, who believes yesterday's incident was ignited by anti Semitism.
Speaker 4: The notion that I have to be afraid stand on a street corner with an Israeli flag or stand next to somebody with an Israeli flag, is you know, terrifying.
Speaker 6: The DA said that it's too soon to know if the person that charged at that protest was acting because they were anti Israel, but regardless, the Newton Police says that today there will be extra officers at all places of worship.
Speaker 2: And Jenny five was reporting tonight that there was a stepped up security at Jewish houses of worship, temples and synagogues on this obviously Sabbath, the evening before the Sabbath Friday night, which is a holy night of too many members of the Jewish community. So we're gonna do We're gonna take a quick break. I'm going to invite you to call. The only lines that are left open are the six, one, seven, nine three line. Again, I watched this today. I'm not happy that someone got shot at all. Okay, I'm not taking any joy or solace in the fact that someone got shot. But I can tell you if this victim had stayed on the other side of the street, continued to engage in his conversation or his insults back and forth, he wouldn't have been shot. If it was he that chose to run aro and not stroll across, not walk across, but run across the street looking like a full back for the Patriots, and jumped an individual who I guess apparently had a legal permit for a gun. I think that he has a potential self defense claim. I don't know the circumstances that gun might have gone off accidentally. I don't know if he took the gun and pulled the trigger or there was a scuffle on the ground. So we'll leave that to court. But the bottom line is, why do you have why do you have to go after somebody physically and try to interrupt their demonstration just because you disagree with them? Is that where we are in this country? I hope to God not Back on nightside right after this.
Speaker 1: You're on night Side with Dan Ray on w b Z, Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: By the way, some late word on this story. Scott Susa, who's a reporter for The Patch, which is the local newspaper that works in many communities, said does great work. By the way, Middlesex DA maryon Ye Mary and Ryan said Friday afternoon that the men who charged pro Israeli demonstrators will be charged with assault and battery. Well, that's true. He's a thirty one year old Newton man who was shot when he charged and tackled a framing him man and a protest demonstration on Washington Street. Is now expected to survive his gunshot wound. He will also be charged with assault and battery. Middlesex County District Attorney Mary Maryon. Ryan said Friday afternoon that quote. As a result of the continuing investigation into this matter, Newton Police of Friday applied for a criminal complaint against the man, who was not identified by name. Let's get his name out there, okay, Ryan said, Massachusetts state law requires a summons be issued. An assault and battery that does not occur in the presence of a police officer is not arrestable. It's not an arrestable offense. Well, assault batteries of the dangerous weapon I guess is, Ryan said, masters requires that a summons be issued the person charges that entitled to a hearing people with the clerk magistrate to determine whether probable cause exists. The Newton man's injuries described as light threatening on Thursday night, but Ryan said on Friday he has now expected to survive his injuries. So he is a Newton man thirty one years old, but not identified as yet by the authorities. So the plot dickens. Let's go to the phone, so we go to Chris up In Jempson. Chris, appreciate your patience, Thanks for holding on your thoughts on what we're talking about.
Speaker 7: Man, I just can't believe what's going on.
Speaker 8: What Randy King said anything in the nineties.
Speaker 7: Why can we get along the goal?
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, yeah, a great, a great philosopher, Rodney King. I mean it's true, it's true. Why did this guy have to run across the street in charge of charge at and attack an individual who was with it was a small group of people. He was going to go over there and just start a fight. He got the worst.
Speaker 7: Exactly.
Speaker 8: Now you mentioned assault and barry.
Speaker 7: They didn't. The prison didn't do the battery, right.
Speaker 2: No, but assault and battery, let me explain to you what it means. Is assault is when you put someone in fear of being touched. So if I come up to you in the street and I say, Chris, I'm gonna knock your head off. I really don't like it, even though I never touch you physically and scare you, that's called assault. Okay. Assault and battery is involved when I come up to you and I and I and I threaten you and then I touch you. A battery in the law is what's called an unwonted touching. Now, let's assume that you're walking down the street and I bump into we bump into each other. Okay, I bump into you, You bump into me. What happens? I say, oh gee, I'm sorry. You said to me, Oh, excuse me, my fault. And we walk in a different directions. But in this situation, this guy runs across the street. Obviously at that point the demonstrators are thinking this, this guy is going to jump us. He does jump them. So that's assaulted battery.
Speaker 7: Okay, so listen does not mean used in a battery.
Speaker 2: No, no, it's got nothing to do with a battery, either either a battery ram or a battery that you put in your your flashlight. No, no, it's exactly. A battery is called a battery in the law. Is what's called an unwanted touching and assault and battery when you put someone in apprehension in fear of being touched, uh, you know, in an unwonted way, and then they follow through. And most of the time it is when someone you know, punches somebody or jumps on him. Now, the other individual, Scott Hayes, he's being sure charged with assault and battery with a dangerous weapon to wit a gun. There were some people there who also looked like they were kicking this guy in the head. They could be charged pretty easily with assault and battery with a dangerous weapon to win. A shod foot a lot of assault and case.
Speaker 7: Which is their foot?
Speaker 2: Yeah, what's called the shod foot meaning a foot a shoe on it? If you kick someone, Yeah, if you if you kick someone with your foot and it's your bare foot, Uh, it's a it has to be a shod foot, meaning it has to have a shoe on it, because that obviously you're going to get a lot going to get hurt a lot more if someone's wearing a foot, a shoe or a boot than you are if they just kick with kick in the head with their foot. All right, christ this was a good little law school class for us.
Speaker 9: I just went to the news, Thank you, and I.
Speaker 2: Learned something new every night, Chris. That's what it's all about. Sometimes I know something, Sometimes I learned Something's as simple as that. I really appreciate your calls and your friendship, my friend. Talk to you soon. Have a great All right, let me go to Justin in Marlborough. Hi, Justin, welcome back, how are you?
Speaker 8: Hi? Thank you for taking my call. I'm thinking that your news report might be prerecorded.
Speaker 2: I think you absolutely right. Because as I I understand it, the state Police. Are you referring to the state police recruit?
Speaker 7: Yes?
Speaker 8: Is that awful news?
Speaker 2: Yeah, apparently he passed away.
Speaker 8: But uh, yes, I just wanted to I didn't know if you heard that on the newscas.
Speaker 2: I'm glad you caught it as well. Some of our news reports at night are prerecorded and justin you're a you're a keen listener of Nightside and I really appreciate you loyalty. What do you think about this story from yesterday? What's what's your thought on this?
Speaker 8: They're awful, many awful things, but this the sad thing especially is that there's a Malejuana store right at that corner, and there's always been for almost for a couple of years. Whatever I drive by that I work in that area, there's always a police officer there. But I guess they may have stopped that. There used to always be a police officer right outside the Mayl Juanna store that's right where that happened.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think the whether or not a h and I they I don't know why they were demonstrating there as opposed to a block closer to the courthouse or another block Washington street's along street, and I don't think it had anything to do with the marijuana store. And I do think you're right that I remember when marijuana stores first opened a couple of years ago. I mean people, there were lines of people outside these stores, and the police were there to keep order me primarily to keep people, you know, not jumping the line. And now maybe as the novelty of legalized marijuana at different times during the day has.
Speaker 8: Worn off, maybe that makes sense. Yeah, I wasn't there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, if the police officers there, he might have interrupted it. The question is the guy ran across the street. I mean, if he hadn't run across the street, and would.
Speaker 8: Yeah with you with your point. To emphasize your point, Neilby twenty nine Craft Street is the congressman office? Is Jake Auchencross's office. Yeah, and they have they have people protesting every day. Is real and it's ready to across some whole foods and they're there every day and not people wave and some like. It's very peaceful. And I do the killing read sometimes I go out for the stand up protests, yep. And you sometimes give us the finger and tell us to biologically we produce ourselves, but very.
Speaker 2: Well said, I refer to they tell you you're number one.
Speaker 8: Yes, but but it's usually me smile and it's kind of a we never thought it was going to be in fear, but yeah, that's awful.
Speaker 2: Well, you never know, and you never know who this day and age, what nut job might have a gun and fire And this guy comes running across the street. Have you seen the video on TV. It's it's if you were there, you'd be scared. You'd be trying to brace yourself because this guy is doing pretty fast. He looks like he's playing football, you know.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean I look in that area, so it's I know there. And I wanted to thank you for letting me plug my eventor it's happening Saturday, So thank you for you and Lightning for letting me be on before.
Speaker 2: Very nice time justin you know, the best of luck tomorrow. Okay, thanks very much. Thanks, talk to you soon. All right, let me go to Craig in Ohio. Craig in Ohio. This probably this story probably hasn't hit Ohio yet, but it's really interesting that it's an interesting story. Back here, buddy, how are you?
Speaker 7: And uh, it hasn't hit Ohio yet. But you'r they've done some great reporting up there. It sounds like getting Boston. But uh yeah, I think this is just the beginning. Damn you know what you get to states where they have a lot of concealed carries in the stand your ground law. Unfortunately, I you know, I think it's just gonna end up getting worse. You know, you know, people are going to start fighting back in one form or another.
Speaker 2: I think this group yesterday, I mean, they didn't have a choice. This guy was the one who initiated the the confrontation, and then he initiated the assault in the fight. Now, I don't know what the evidence will show, whether this individual intentionally shot him or or the gun went off accidentally. I don't know.
Speaker 7: Let the facts comes seventy And if the guy came across the street and knocked me on the ground and was swinging, I would pull the trigger also, No.
Speaker 2: I just say, but again, I just want to make it I just want to make it clear that we don't know for sure, and you have forensics here, which I'm sure the police will be able to do. They were called, they may have talked to eye witnesses. I don't know, for Allallly, no police could have been driving by. So this guy's facing a very serious charge assault and battery with a dangerous weapon. And he was held on what we call fifty thousand dollars bail, but it's five thousand dollars cash bail, so it sounds worse than it is. And I think that they said that there was a gold fundbee stage. You know what, this story reminds me of a little bit. It reminds me a little bit of the story in New York. Remember with the guy the young guy was threatening people on and a marine got up and put him in a headlock, and the guy and the marine. Now I was facing homicide chargers, and that case hasn't been tried yet, so this might be one of those similar cases. Was what were people to do? I mean this, this guy must have been pretty He must have thought he was pretty tough. Because it was one guy taken on. It looked like five or six people. I don't know how many of them were men, how many of them were women. I don't know what age they all were, But I'm sure the police have all of those all that information and that will work into their decision as to who.
Speaker 7: Will be charged if he wasn't come across the street to give him a high five.
Speaker 2: No, it's pretty clear in that No, they had exchanged They had exchanged some words, let's put it like that. And they were not pleasant words, I'm sure, and there were plenty of witnesses to that. Hey, Craig, thanks so much. I haven't heard from you in a while. Man. It's I always worry about you folks who you know who are regular listeners and regular callers, And when I don't hear them, always sometimes I think, see what's going on with Craig. Everything okay out there?
Speaker 7: Everything you're good, been doing a lot of camping and cushy.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, you enjoy and we'll look forward to hearing from you more often.
Speaker 7: And I always enjoyed listen to.
Speaker 8: BZ and night Side.
Speaker 7: Thanks Greg, night side, I mean, okay, not.
Speaker 2: The America's back porch. Thanks Greg. Talk to you soon, Okay, bye bye. I take a very quick break. I got Bob in California coming up. Mike and Newton, Brian and Dutchbury. You got a little bit of room for you if you want to try to get in. I do intend to change topics at nine o'clock. But my audience plays a big role, and we if we change, we'll be back on Nightside right after this.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World nights Side Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: Back we go, gonna go to Bob in California. Hey, Bob, welcome back to Nightside. Always great to hear your voice. What's your thought on this, Bob from three thousand miles away?
Speaker 10: Likewise standard good eating. Well, just to remind you and the listeners, I'm originally from Boston. I know Newton very well. I have three comments. First of all, these anti Israel protesters, let's call them what they are starting now. They are pro protesters.
Speaker 9: That's what they are.
Speaker 10: Okay, they're pro.
Speaker 8: We lost you you mean pro Hamas protesters?
Speaker 2: Right? But again, just you you've dropped out of me twice there, Bob. Let mean when you say pro what what is what is the word after pro pro terrorists?
Speaker 10: They are pro terrorists?
Speaker 2: Oh okay, gotcha? Okay, fine, Well that's even worse than pro homase. Well I guess maybe maybe it's a synonymous. Okay, all right, well.
Speaker 8: This guy, but that's what the protesters here were.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the protesters who were attacked were supporting Israel and supporting the.
Speaker 10: Real my s my second. Okay, but I want to establish that everybody listening stop calling them pro palace things. They are pro terrorists, protest right, that's.
Speaker 1: What they are.
Speaker 10: Okay. Yeah. Number two, Scott, thank you. And Scott Hayes was his alleged actions absolutely self defense. Okay, he was in fair for his life, self defense, right period. That's that's it, right. And the third comment I want to make call here. You have to understand that Newton DA who spoke the one who charged Gott and you got to realize I've heard Dan. She's in a training program to be a DA out here in California where they support the agitators and the troublemakers all the time. That's what the das do here. So she's in a special training program to come out here and be a DA in California. We're still do a great job.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I think that I think you might be uh, you're you're you're speaking a little sarcastically there, but I understand the points you're making. Those are three great points, Rob. I appreciate it, Thank you much, thank you, good night, next too, We're gonna go. Let's go home, back to Newton. Mike. Is a Newton Mike your reaction to what happened in your city last night?
Speaker 11: Yes, Hi, Dan, it's unfortunately. I really think that that guy is in deep do do this is in Massachusetts? Is not a and your ground law. You have the duty to retreat. He had all these people around him. Did the guy show a weapon when he came at him, a knife or anything?
Speaker 7: He didn't.
Speaker 11: He had the duty to retreat. You have to be in a corner, a hallway or something you cannot get out of there, and then you can shoot somebody. I have a feeling that it's going to come down to that.
Speaker 2: Well, you might be right, but I will tell you this, the circumstances and the facts of the case, or really what matter. This guy standing on a street corner with you know, a few other people supporting Israel, and I guess probably the signage that they might have, if they had signs, was in sympathy with the hostages. Have you seen the video of this guy coming across the street?
Speaker 11: I did, and I agree with you. I agree with you. You know you probably do the same thing.
Speaker 2: And it looked as if the guy that he jumped was the guy who was arraigned today, So it looks as if it wasn't like he uh somebody standing by who interceded and shot again, assuming that he shot intentionally, I don't know that he had the ability to retreat because once he gets jumped there on the ground.
Speaker 11: Uh, that's something that that it's gonna have to play out.
Speaker 2: But I understand that's what that's what you say. I understand the point you're making that we are not a standard ground the state. I understand that. But it's a difference then if somebody walked across the street and was having an argument with him, uh and uh, and there was no assault in battery or no jumping on him, and then he pulled the gun out and shot the guy. In with your thousand percent, but once this guy comes on top of him and has him down on a street, you don't know what that person might be able to do. Drive, you know, drive an elbow into his head while his head is un cemented.
Speaker 11: No, I agree. I totally agree with you, but we'll just have to see how it plays.
Speaker 2: I put my defense your hat on there for a second. But you're a great call. Thanks thanks Mike, Thank you, I thank you. Talk to you soon. Going next Brian in Duxbury. Brian's gonna get you one more in here.
Speaker 7: Thanks.
Speaker 9: All right, yeah, let me preface my remarks. First of all, you know, I believe in the second manment write of the Constitution is the right to play arounds to protect against tyranny. And uh, I wonder why I am a situation like this, Uh, this guy would do your gun to something like this.
Speaker 2: Well, I guess, I guess the guy has a right to carry, right, Well, yeah.
Speaker 9: Yeah, but a certain but yeah, he has the right to carry. But when all the time.
Speaker 2: The right to carry is the right to carry.
Speaker 8: You could you could take.
Speaker 2: The gun wow with you to the to the store. You could take the gun with you. You know, you can't take it on the plane. You can't take it inside Fenway Park, you can't take it onto a school ground, you can't take it into a federal building. But he's under street corner.
Speaker 9: There's a time, and there's a time in the place.
Speaker 4: Uh, the.
Speaker 9: Guy run the guy running across the street. I couldn't play a little middle linebacker for the Patriots. And there's rays to stop guys like that. His momentum is forward. Just step aside and pull him down instead of shooting him. I think this guy that shot him is in big trouble. He was not. It wasn't deadly for he wasn't afraid for his life.
Speaker 2: You never once, once he's on the ground, he might be again. The video that I have you seen the video? Yes, okay, the video that I saw was the guy who runs across the street. He jumps on this guy and they both hit the ground.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So the fact that he didn't do some sort of judicial or karate move to step out of his way like a matador and pull him down. And I understand that move because.
Speaker 9: Not a not a not a matador karate. It's a basic uh you know, if you're in the service, the Marine Corps. I was in the let's say, you know, it's something that you learn.
Speaker 2: I don't know what it's a it's a matter door move. You know that as well as I do, because I've done it and you've done it. You know exactly what you step aside.
Speaker 12: This DNA and this DNA every single day on the news, not the changes, but every single day it's another shooting of somebody. And I just came from Ado. I just came from a duty football game, and I and I felt good because all the kids from the school were they they were cheering the team and and they were all wearing red, white and blue flags and whatever, and it gave my heart good. I said, Jesus, there is a chance.
Speaker 2: I would I would have been right there with you. Let me tell you, I would have been right there with you, Brian, Brian, I got to run because I got the news coming after. So let me let me let you go for now. Thanks so much for calling, and I really appreciate it. Okay, okay, by Honey is your wife, I'm your friend. We'll be back. Never been called honey in the radio before. I don't think I've ever been called honey in the radio anyway. He was excited. We'll take a break, we'll come right back on Night's that. I'm going to take at least a couple of more callers in this II. Leen and Jack, you're both late, but I'm going to accommodate you. Right after the ten o'clock news