Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: KFI and KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange.
Speaker 3: County, OH.
Speaker 1: KFI Radio. This is Mission Control Houston.
Speaker 3: Please call station for a voice check.
Speaker 4: Station.
Speaker 1: This is Amy King with kfi's wake up call. How do you hear me?
Speaker 5: I can hear you loud and clear.
Speaker 4: And it's time for your morning wake up call.
Speaker 6: And his name is Amy k.
Speaker 7: Here's Amy King.
Speaker 1: This is good morning. This is your wake up call for Friday, March seventh. I had to look at the calendar really quick. I'm Amy King. We made it another week, very exciting, very busy day ahead. Lots of fun stuff for you. Thanks for starting your day with us right here on wake up Call on KFI. We've got an eagle update for you. Another pip so Jeff pit Pip perae. Yes, I love that. So Jackie and Shadow have hatched two eggs so far, and yesterday just after ten o'clock there was another pip spotted. And I'm watching. I'm watching them like me, and I think about twenty five thousand other people are watching right now, and they're up in the nest. There's lots of snow, but the chicks are nice and fluffy and moving around, and you can see there's a big hole in one of the eggs. Yesterday when it was raining, I don't know if you guys are, if you're as obsessed as I am, but I was watching and Jackie gets up and it's pouring down rain, and those little eaglets are drenched and they don't have feathers or anything yet, so they're not waterproof, and they just have this fuzz on them. And they looked like wet cats, but you know what, birds or maybe a chicken that had been plucked or something like the poor little guys. But they're nice and fluffy and dry this morning. So very exciting. We'll keep you posted. And because we're on PIP watch again, also, daylight saving time kicks in on Sunday. And one of the things we were talking about yesterday is how you know, if you want to kind of get your body acclimated, you should get up a little bit early. Yesterday I did get up early because I thought somebody was breaking into the house. It was just the winds blowing. Today, I woke up ahead of my alarm clock about fifteen minutes early. Again, well that's one of us. So I'm getting acclimated. So that's what you're supposed to do. You're supposed to go to bed a little bit early and go to get up a little bit early to sort of ease yourself into the time change. Here's what's ahead on wake up call. Residents of Pacific Palisades can once again drink water out of the tap. LA Mayor Bats announced yesterday that I do not drink order for homes still standing after the Palisades fire are being lifted today. The fires tore through the Palisades two months ago. Today. A first look at a court ordered audit of LA's homelessness program shows poor oversight and an inability to track substantial funds allocated to the programs. More than two billion dollars has been dedicated to homeless issues, according to the report. SpaceX has lost another Starship rocket. Rocket was ten test launched yesterday from SpaceX's base in Texas. About eight minutes into the flight, several of the engines appeared to lose power, and then the craft spun out of control and there was an explosion. There are phone scams, There are tech scams, there are email scams and now EBC's Jim Ryan says, the bad guys are going after good people on Facebook. Is there nowhere they will go or won't go anyway? We're going to be talking to Jim Ryan at about five twenty. Also, where can you get the most space for the least money? Dean Sharp, our house whisper is going to tell us at the bottom of the hour. Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four our newsroom and auditing firms says it has been difficult to do a full accounting of LA's homeless services.
Speaker 8: The audit was ordered by a federal judge as part of an ongoing lawsuit against the city. The firm Alpharez and Marsal says the city and the LA Homeless Services Authority were difficult to deal with, not providing all the needed info and demonstrating a lack of oversight and proper accounting for programs related to homeless spending. A draft of the audit released yesterday says there's been around two point three billion dollars spent on homeless programs, but there's no full accounting on how that money was spent. The full audit is expected to include Mayor Bass's Inside Safe program. Michael Monks, KFI news.
Speaker 1: Come lawmaker say they are sickened and frustrated by Governor Newsom's remarks on trans athletes. Newsom had conservative activist Charlie Kirk on the first episode of Newsom's podcast. When Kirk asked whether Newsom thinks a man should be allowed to play in women's sports.
Speaker 7: I think it's an issue of fairness.
Speaker 9: I completely agree with you on that, so that's easy to call out the unfairness of that.
Speaker 1: Newsom says. The way people talk down to vulnerable communities is also an issue. Assembly Member Chris Ward and Senator Caroline Menjivar say all students deserve the academic and health benefits of sports activity. Nest is about to get more crowded. A third egg has begun hatching for bald eagles Jackie and Shadow in their nests one hundred and forty five feet above Big Bear Lake. Pipping started yesterday morning. It can take a day or more for the eaglet to hatch. Two other eglets hatched earlier this week. You can watch them and the proud parents at KFIAM six forty dot com slash big Bear. Let's say good morning now to ABC's Steven Portnoys. So, Stephen, we know about Texas Democratic Representative Al Green being censured for interrupting the President during his address on Tuesday night, But what we don't know is what happened next and what happened after the censure.
Speaker 2: Well after the censure vote, the Democrat from south of Houston was surrounded by more than a dozen Democrats in the well of the House.
Speaker 10: He raised his cane in the air.
Speaker 2: They sang, we shall overcome, and some Republicans said, Aha, he doesn't get it. We need to send a stronger message. So the House of the chair of the House Freedom Caucus said yesterday that censure's not enough. He's calling for what he calls real consequences, and that would be the stripping of committee assignments from Texas Democrat Al Green for disrupting the president's speech on Tuesday night, which feels like it was two weeks ago. And we'll see what happens. I mean, the House is out until Monday of next week, and so this will have to come up again. I suppose if the Freedom Caucus types are really insistent upon moving that forward, it could happen. Al Green has seats on two committees. He's on the Financial Services Committee and the he's also on well, mainly the House Financial Services Committee. That's he serves as the ranking member of the Oversight and Investigation Subcommittee, and he's also a member of the Subcommittee on Financial Institutions and Consumer Credits. So you know, look, committee assignments are important to members of Congress. It gives them sort of an expertise and purview, say so, in the crafting of legislation. It's less important when you're in the minority, but you still want to be able to ask important questions of hearings. And to be kicked off a committee is a very bold statement. It's only made rarely, But so too is the bold statement of censure, which is which used to be rare. But yesterday al Green became the fifth person to be censured by the House this decade. Four of them have been Democrats, and so clearly it's become invoked more regularly.
Speaker 1: Okay, So then you mentioned in your notes that there was a segment of a screaming match. I want to hear about that.
Speaker 2: Ah, Well, the screaming match took place after the censure vote, because, as I say, they was there was the scene on the floor, which we did see. It was available for viewers on television who were watching the house floor.
Speaker 1: You know, Yeah, we saw them. We saw them gather and Green was in the middle and everybody was singing. We saw that part, but I didn't see the yelling and screaming.
Speaker 2: You didn't see it because the House speaker gabbled the house into recess and that turns off the cameras and microphones. What we understand, and I was not there to see it myself, is that there was a shouting match that went on for several minutes after the fact, with recriminations on the floor, Republicans and Democrats pointing fingers and yelling and screaming. But that's all we know.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, Well, I you know, I just I don't know about you, but I just think they all look like a bunch of big babies.
Speaker 2: Well it certainly is not something to be all that proud of, that's for sure. But look, I mean, you know, Al Green says that he would do it again, and he was standing. He says on principle that he believes that this president is going to come after Medicaid. Now, Republicans say that it was a tragic breach of decorum and that there ought to be punishment to deter others from doing it again. Of course, you know, it's been we've now been at this, I guess for about almost sixteen years now, where you've seen presidents being heckled. And it was South Carolina Republican Joe Wilson who screamed, you lie at Barack Obama a decade and a half ago.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think he was the first one. And pretty soon we're going to look like some of the other Houses of whatever lawmakers around the country or around the world that they are normally yelling and screaming at each other. And we always think, oh, we're so much more civilized than that, but apparently not anymore.
Speaker 7: Well, we'll see, all.
Speaker 1: Right, Steven Portner, thank you so much. Have a great weekend, you bet. Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. A federal judge has given the Trump administration until Monday to pay nearly two billion dollars in debts to Usaid and State Department partners. The Foreign assistance was frozen six weeks ago. The judge yesterday ruled in favor of the nonprofits and businesses that sued the government. The order came a day after a divided Supreme Court rejected the Trump administration's request to freeze funding that flowed through USAID. Officials from the US and Ukraine are planning to meet next week for talks aimed at ending the war with Russia. Ross Cullen reports President Trump's Special Envoy, Steve Whitcoff, made the announcement yesterday.
Speaker 11: The idea for the talks in Saudi Arabia is to quote get down a framework for a peace agreement and an initial ceasefire. President Zelenski said on Thursday that Ukraine is not only ready to take the necessary steps for peace, but quote, we are also proposing those steps.
Speaker 1: Zelensky's trying to mend relations with the US following a heated exchange with President Trump and Vice President Vance in the Oval Office last week. Trump has since paused military assistance to Ukraine and cut off intelligence sharing between the two governments. We're going to be talking more about the prospects for a peace in Ukraine with ABC's State Department correspondent Shannon Kingston. That's coming up at five point fifty. EU leaders have approved new defense spending plans since the Trump administration pushed Europe to handle its own security. They'll ease budget limits to allow countries to increase military spending and ask the European Commission to find ways to help. This could free up six hundred and fifty billion euros plus one hundred and fifty billion euro loan for new equipment. A private lunar lander has touched down near the Moon's south pole, but the Intuitive machine craft may have tipped over.
Speaker 5: We've been very successful to this point.
Speaker 4: However, I do have to tell you that we don't believe we're in the correct attitude on the surface of the Moon.
Speaker 1: CEO Steve Altimas says the lander is still charging on the Moon's service surface and they are able to communicate with it. This is the Texas Company's second attempt to get a lander on the Moon. Odyssey reached the Moon in February of last year, but it tipped over shortly after it touched down. There's another lander that landed on the Moon earlier, and it is upright and sending pictures back to Earth. Ellie County Sheriff's officials say they have arrested so called booster crews who stole four million dollars worth of merchandise from stores. The merchandise included high end handbags, clothes, cosmetics, perfumes, scented candles, and over the counter medications that were then sold off to people who turned around and resold the items. A city in northern California has declared itself a non sanctuary city. The Oraville City Council says it will share immigration status information with ICE and says its decision will enhance public safety. Meanwhile, Sacramento is part of a coalition suing the Trump administration over potential funding cuts to sanctuary cities. President Trump says he'll probably extend the deadline to ban TikTok if a deal to sell it isn't reached. The Chinese owned company Bite Dance still has until April fifth to sell TikTok to a US based company or be banned in the US. Trump says there's a lot of buyer interest in the social media platform. At six SO five Tandle on the news, Mexico and Canada are getting a bit of a reprieve on tariffs for now, but will they last. Let's say good morning now to ABC's Jim Ryan. So, Jim, you and I have talked about scams before. There's email scams and text scams and phone scams, and now another one is landed on Facebook.
Speaker 9: Yeah, you and I are friends on Facebook, right, yep. So let's say you saw a posting that I put up there that says, oh my, I've had to put my my dad into assisted living, and he's got a bunch of things that I need to try to sell. You take a look at this and see if you're interested in any of them. Then I'm going to list out pictures of a camera on for six hundred dollars, some furniture, a four f one fifty pickup truck for seven thousand dollars, then some other stuff on this list, Okay, And so you're like, well, I know him, so I trust that these are probably legitimate. And so you decide, okay, Yeah, you reach out and you say I'm gonna buy this thing, this.
Speaker 7: This truck for seven thousand dollars.
Speaker 9: But you pay your seven thousand bucks and I'm like you, I really appreciate it. Meet me here, I'll have the truck and the title for you and then we'll make the swap. And you say, okay, But the problem is that it doesn't exist. I didn't put that posting up. I didn't do it. My dad died six years ago. So you got to be very careful for this. But it is happening, and here's a good way to backstop it. In the same way that scammers are using Facebook and eBay and Craigslist to rip people off, you can use technology as well to kind of prevent yourself from being a victim. There's so many of these postings like this, and they're all over the internet right now. Amy, They're all over Facebook. They include pictures of the items the person is trying to sell. We'll do a Google search on some of those pictures and you'll see that they've been used over and over again for different purposes, some legitimate, some not legitimate, and they're being used here big tip off, a giant red flag that says this is not legit.
Speaker 1: Okay, So if it's a getty stock image, it's probably not your friends truck. But that was That's what I was going to ask you. If it was just random people or if it looks like it's coming from one of your friends. So they've hacked your account.
Speaker 9: Exactly, or hacked their account, or they've spoofed it, right, okay. And all they had to do was to go into your you know, on Facebook, and look at your friends. They come up with my name, my face there. They've spoofed the account, make a fake Facebook page and start putting items onto it to get people to buy it. And unfortunately, apparently it's working.
Speaker 1: Okay. You know, whenever I see ads on Facebook or Instagram, I assume it's some sort of scam. I mean, but there are legitimate ads and requests for assistance and stuff. Is there any way to tell a difference, aside from, like you said, going and researching and googling.
Speaker 9: All this h a little research, but it's worth it if you can keep from losing a bunch of money, you know. And if people are online, if they're asking you to pay them a some sort of if you say, look, I'm going to get over there tomorrow to pick this thing up, and they say, well, well, pay me a deposit right now with gift cards and I'll take it off the market.
Speaker 1: Their gift cards, I think, are always a telltale sign.
Speaker 7: Yeah they should be.
Speaker 9: Yeah, and even even the gift card companies recognize that, and the grocery stores where you buy them, they have big signs that say who's asking you to get this gift card?
Speaker 5: Is?
Speaker 7: Is it a scammer? Or is a legitimate thing?
Speaker 9: Now it's all over the you're right, though, but Facebook marketplace has has great legitimate purposes. I've sold a bunch of stuff on Marketplace, including a car several years ago.
Speaker 7: And so I bought.
Speaker 1: A car on Craigslist, which is you know, kind of predated when you could do it on.
Speaker 7: Face everything worked, okay, right, oh yeah it was.
Speaker 1: It was fabulous. And we went to a bank and did a cashiers check and did all of the stuff that you're supposed to do, like to do the transaction. We did it at a bank, that kind of thing, you know, I'm good idea.
Speaker 9: Yeah, Well, this car I sold was it was It was a Ford focus that my son had torn up in college, and I wanted to get rid of it. Thirty eight hundred dollars right, And pretty soon people were bidding all over the place and saying I'm on my way.
Speaker 7: To pick it up.
Speaker 9: I got a fist full of cash. I've met a you have the car on the title, and I said, okay, first one who gets here gets it. Guy showed up with his stack of one hundred dollars bills, thirty eight of them, and gave him the title, gave him the keys. He drives off and he called me. So I went to the bank to deposit these hundred dollar bills. He called me later and he said, hey, the engine light came on and I said, yeah, well, one of the one hundred dollars bills you gave me was fake. So I guess we're even, aren't we It was a counterfeit.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 7: So the end, he said, I didn't know anything about I didn't know it was fake.
Speaker 1: I didn't do that, and I didn't know the engine light was going to come on exactly.
Speaker 7: Let the buyer be well, let the seller beware.
Speaker 1: Oh god, Yeah, you just got to be super, super careful man.
Speaker 9: You just want to shut down Facebook, shut it all down, and you know, read a newspaper.
Speaker 1: Well, Jim, just know that I will never ask you for anything on Facebook. Well, thank you, okay, I will ask that you have a good weekend.
Speaker 7: Though I appreciate it. I'm suspicious even of that.
Speaker 1: Right, you take care. We'll talk to you soon.
Speaker 7: Sit here to see you all right.
Speaker 1: A person who died in New Mexico has tested positive for measles. The state Health Department says the person was not vaccinated and did not seek medical care before dying. At least ten cases of measles have been confirmed in New Mexico. In neighboring Texas, there are one hundred and fifty nine confirmed cases of measles, twenty two people have been hospitalized, and an unvaccinated child has died. A delivery driver in La County is facing charges of sexually assaulting a woman and a girl while on the job. Glendale police arrested the twenty four year old this week for the assault of a woman in January. He's also accused of sexually assaulting a girl while delivering packages in La in December. He was in court for that charge when he was arrested for the assault in Glendale. The International Association of Firefighters has confirmed the suspension of a former top officer for the LA Fire Department's labor Union. Kfi's Mark Mayfield says Adam Walker was removed late last year and is the subject of an internal investigation.
Speaker 6: He had been working in the office of Secretary of the United Firefighters of Los Angeles City. Walker is accused of misusing money from the union's charity for injured firefighters. That includes allegedly using more than five thousand dollars for personal expenses.
Speaker 1: Mayfield says Walker is also accused of depositing seventy five thousand dollars of the charity's money into his own personal accounts. A new state Senate bill aims to speed up college admissions in California.
Speaker 5: SB six forty builds on the West Sacramento Home Run Program and CSUS Direct Admissions Pilot. The bill seeks to eliminate the application process for students who meet eligibility requirements and aims to make a smoother transition from high school to college.
Speaker 1: Hey if Ice Chris Power says the bill also makes it easier for community college students to transfer to a four year university. A baseball nonprofit is pulling off a double play for the Altadena community.
Speaker 4: The La Dodgers Foundation will help in restoration efforts for two baseball fields at Loma Alta Park. The effort is in collaboration with Parks and Wreck for La County. CEO for La Dodgers Foundation, Nicole Whiteman tells KFI it's about rebuilding the community after.
Speaker 5: The eat and fire.
Speaker 2: So many families were displaced and for kids, losing a space like this meant like losing a sense of normalcy.
Speaker 4: Proceeds from the Dodgers Opening Day and ring Ceremony Day at Dodgers Stadium will go toward the cause. Andrew Caravella KFI News love those Dodgers.
Speaker 1: You know, opening day is just like a couple of weeks away. Wait, it's on opening. The home opener is March twenty seventh, in today's seventh, so ooh, less than three weeks the way, you know what else is coming up? The Wiggle Waggle Walk. Yeah, and we would love for you to join the wake Up Call crew at the Wiggle Waggle Walk and Run for Pasadena Humane. It's happening April sixth at Brookside Park at the Rose Bowl. The event starts at eight, The walk and run starts at nine. And along with the walking and the running with your pooches, there's so much to do. Lots of food vendors and lots of samples you uh for your pups. There's training demonstrations, there's a dog costume contest, and of course all of the money we raise for the Wiggle Waggle Walk goes right to Pasadena Humane and they're doing such great work. They always do great work. That's where I got my Alexander, It's where my best friend Amy got her new cat, Ozzy. And of course they're doing such important work following the fires in Altadena and Pasadena and they could sure use your help. And this way you can help raise money and have a lot of fun too. You can join the team or you can just donate. I would love it if you. If you're not gonna walk with us, please donate to me. I'm on the Wiggle Waggle Walk page KF I am six forty dot com slash Wiggle and that will take you to the fundraising page. Again. We would love for you to come and walk with us. It's April sixth the Brookside Park at the Rose Ball It's the Wiggle Waggle for Pasadena Humane. A jury in Santa Anna has told the judge they might be able to reach a verdict in the case of an Orange County judge accused of killing his wife at their home in Anaheim Hills in twenty twenty three. Jurors had previously said they were at an impass, but yesterday said they may be able to break the dead light deadlock after they deliberate some more, and deliberations are scheduled to continue this morning. Bird flu is on the decline in California. The California Department of Public Health says there have been no new human cases since January. Sickness among the state's dairy cows is slowing, and as numbers decline in chicken flocks, many are being released from quarantine. Bird flu is caused eggs to spike nationwide a nationwide nationwide. The wolf population is growing in California, but experts say they're a little concerned that's not growing faster. State wildlife officials say in twenty twenty four to thirty pups were born in the spring, but the number of wolves in the state only increased by one. There are about fifty now. The number of wolf packs has decreased from nine to seven. More puffs are expected this spring. At six oh five TANDL on the news. Trump's latest order could mean the end of the Department of Education, but can he dismantle it. Bill's gonna talk about that. Let's say good morning to the host of Home on CAFI. It's our house, whisper, Dean Sharp, Good morning, Dean.
Speaker 10: Good morning Amy.
Speaker 1: Okay, so let's talk about space. Everybody wants space, and I'm not only talking personal space. I'm talking about space in your house. Yes, all right, So you're talking about you know, revamping your space can cost a lot of money, but there are spaces where you can you know, get yourself a good little deal.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 10: Well, we're gonna get a little unorthodox this weekend because you know, inflation has not left. Funds are tight for people. It's remodeling season. Some people are thinking, ugh, ugh, we need more space to live in this house. But I don't have a full on budget to just you know, add on or whatever. And so I get this question a lot. And so we're going to talk about two particular spaces this weekend that actually are sitting there waiting for us, that are the least expensive places to look in order to get more living space at your house. One is the garage and the other is going outside and getting taking as much outdoor space as possible. Now by going outside I don't mean doing a room edition. I mean living more outside and as a result, not having to spend all of the money that we would spend on walls and floors and that kind of stuff in order to create more space for us to just you know, get by. But the garage to start is what we call a potential flex space, meaning that we don't have to abandon it as a garage in order for it to be other things at the same time. You know, okay yourself, okay, well, I mean, if you have you know, here's the thing with the garage. Let's talk about the least developed garages out there. The least developed garages out there have a concrete floor, older homes that have studs, you know, I mean, it's a garage, it's a room, but there's no drywall on the walls. The studs are all open exposed studs. The ceiling is open and exposed, but there is a floor, there are walls, there is a ceiling in there. So really we're just a few steps away. We're a little bit of insulation, maybe a little electrical work, and some dry wall away from creating a full fledged room out there. And those things up in the big scheme of thing are not all of that expensive. If we organize the garage, if we get our clutter under control, if we put laid down maybe a nicey POxy or a stained finished floor, and we get a little heat or cooling in that garage, then all of a sudden, we've got another four hundred or so square feet that can be used for things other than just parking the cars. And when we say flex space, I mean this room is ready to be used as soon as we pull the cars out for extra space. So let's say it's the weekend and it's time to entertain, and there needs to be a place to watch the big game, or all of the kids need to hang out somewhere not in the house with the adults, just to give everybody some more elbow room. Well, it doesn't mean that the garage can't be in the normal place where you park the cars. But if we pull the cars out, suddenly we've got all of that space. It's clean, it's neat, and it's ready to go. That's what we mean flex space. So I'm not talking about well, fine, I'm not going to park my cars outside for the rest of my life. No, you park the cars in the garage, But as soon as you pull them out for the special event or to do crafting, or to because you need gym time, that's when the garage becomes a flex space.
Speaker 1: Okay. I kind of like that idea because you spruce it up a little bit. And then it's also not it's a flex space, but it's also a versatile space because you can use it for different things. It doesn't it's not pre defined exactly.
Speaker 10: Why not allow the garage to be that game room, the media room, a craft room, a gym, you know, all of these kinds of things, and also house the cars when it's time to park the cars at the same time.
Speaker 1: I love that. And then very quickly outdoors, you're saying, don't you're not putting a building out there, You're just putting making a living space out there. So are you talking about like couches and TVs and stuff.
Speaker 10: Yeah, we're talking about comfortable places for people to exist, for people to converse. If we put a little warmth out there, maybe it's a fire pit or something like that. If we've got comfortable furniture out there, a little bit of shade. A shade doesn't have to be a patio cover that costs thirty thousand dollars, It can be a twelve hundred dollars really really nice, you know, patio umbrella, a little shade, a little cooling, a little warmth in the evening, some comfortable furniture. The floor can be something as simple as pea gravel raked across and nicely shaped. The point is outdoors is a place where you can get a lot of space. You can annex a lot of living space for your house without having to spend the kind of money that you would spend on a room edition.
Speaker 1: Okay, Dan's going to have so many more tips and tricks than ideas for you this weekend. Where to get the most space for the least money. I love this topic. Six to eight am tomorrow and then nine to noon on Sunday. Right here on KFI. You can also follow Dean at home with the thank you Dean, Thank you Amy. All right, we'll talk to you soon. Right now, it's time to get in your business with Bloomberg's Courtney Donaho A good morning, Courtney, Happy Friday.
Speaker 12: I'm so glad it's Friday after a week like this on Wall Street.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's been a wild ride. And is it going to be wilder because of the jobs report that just dropped.
Speaker 12: Yes, Well, usually the jobs report, this is kind of funny. It's the event of the week, sometimes the event of the month on Wall Street. But we've had a lot of events this week.
Speaker 1: I'm looking right at.
Speaker 12: The tariffs, so traders have been on a wild ride. So we just got the jobs report. It came out about ten minutes ago, and even though it's slightly lower than what economists we're expecting, it's still a pretty solid number, one hundred and fifty one hundred and fifty one thousand gain in jobs, the unemployment rate taking slightly higher four point one percent. But a lot has happened since the last jobs report a month ago, so there's a lot to unpack as we continue to dig into these numbers. Healthcare was the biggest driver of employment. They added fifty two thousand and jobs in the month. However, I think we're seeing the first signs of the Doge bulldozer. The federal government employment to climbed by ten thousand in February. So how the markets reacted to this right after it? Stocks just popped higher. But now we're seeing a bit of a pullback. But as I said, it's been a wild week, wild swings in the market all throughout the day. And right now we do see Dow futures they're.
Speaker 5: Down fifty points.
Speaker 12: So if the market open right now, if the Dow open right now, it would be down about forty points. The S and P five hundred, however, would be up about a tenth of a percent.
Speaker 1: Okay, So I have a quick question for you. You mentioned tarifs, and we were talking about how volatile the stock market is and all these knee jerk reactions. Everybody just goes at you know. I mean it's like so yesterday when they announced that there was a pause on the tariffs for against Mexico and then also with Canada, I saw the Dow take a huge dive instead of popping up.
Speaker 12: Yeah, because many companies and many traders right now really are still unsure with what's going on. So yesterday we did see stocks plunge when President Trump came out saying we're delaying some tariffs on Mexico and Canada. Because we did see the doutfall four hundred and twenty eight points, the S and P five hundred tumbling, I mean, a huge drop one point eight percent yesterday. There were two factors at play. Not only were we dealing with the tariffs and people really unsure of what's going on. Even companies, a lot of companies have been coming out and saying, well, we are still unsure of what's happening with the tariffs, and all these changes are very hard for us to deal with our vendors. But we did have another issue going on with artificial intelligence. There's a chip maker car called Marvel Technology, and that took a big hit yesterday and taking a big hit to confidence for a lot of artificial intelligence investors. So the chip maker's outlook disappointed investors. They were looking for a bigger payoff from all the money that we're popping into artificial intelligence and how far that has moved so quickly. So anytime our report and earnings report comes in for one of those companies that's just a little bit softer, all of a sudden, you'll see those stocks fall and that will put pressure overall on the markets, and the tech heavy Nasdaq led the losses yesterday.
Speaker 1: Okay, Bloomberg's Courtney Donahoe, thank you so much. I'll see you later.
Speaker 12: Have a great weekend.
Speaker 1: You too, and we'll get in your business again on Monday at five point forty, just like we do every day on wake up call.
Speaker 5: See you later.
Speaker 1: All right, thanks Courtney. Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four our newsroom. A new law in California is going to help renters starting on April first. It says landlords can no longer charge fees for delivering lease termination notices or for paying rent and security deposit deposits by check. The law limits security deposits to one month's rent, with specific rules for military service members who may be asked to pay more. If a service member pays a higher deposit due to credit issues, the landlord has to explain why, and if they keep up with rent for six months, the landlord must refund any extra amount charged. A federal judge in California says a lawsuit against the parent company of Snapchat can go forward.
Speaker 5: The lawsuit was filed by the relatives of over sixty young people who died from fentnyl overdoses, allegedly after purchasing drugs through the app. The plaintiffs argue that Snapchat's disappearing message feature facilitated illicit drug sales.
Speaker 1: Hey if Vice Chris Power says Snap calls the claims legally flawed. Speaking of flaws, another launch of a SpaceX Starship has failed. SpaceX lost contact with its rocket during a test flight yesterday, Then eight minutes into the flight, several engines appeared to cut off the craft spun out of control before all communication was lost. In a post on X, SpaceX said the vehicle experienced a rapid unscheduled disassembly, also known as an explosion right during the last test flight in January, the starship rocket exploded, also about eight minutes after liftoff. Governor Newsom has been taking heat from the LGBTQ plus community for comments he made about transgender athletes on his new podcast. Newsom says athletes who were born male playing in women's sports is deeply unfair. Newsom is facing backlash from the nation's largest LGBTQ plus civil rights group. His comment also goes against the Democratic Party's stance on the issue. All the evs buzzing around California may lead to worse roads. The Menita Transportation Institute in San Jose says as more people drive evs, money taken in from gas taxes declines, and with less gas tax money, counties may struggle to maintain streets and infrastructure, which is what gas taxes pay for. Gas tax revenue could fall from thirteen million dollars last year to five thirteen billion dollars last year to five billion by twenty forty. Soon there will be three. A third baby eagle is pecking its way out of its shell in a nast high of Big Bear Lake. The egg began to pip yesterday morning. The bald eagles Jackie and Shadow, welcomed two eaglets to the nest earlier this week. This will be the first time the eagles have cared for three eaglets. We're just minutes away from a handle. On the news this morning, Mexico and Canada get a reprieve on tariffs. But the big question is how long is it going to last? Right now, let's say good morning too, ABC's State Department correspondent. Easy for me to say, Shannon Kingston, Good morning.
Speaker 3: Shannon, Good morning Amy.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we're talking about Ukraine and the US and they're not talking, but they're talking about talking. What's going on?
Speaker 3: That's right, They're looking ahead to a big high level meeting in Saudi Arabia. We're tracking that for next Tuesday. We're going to see the same US delegation that met with Russian leaders in that same country just a couple of weeks ago. It'll be President's Special on board for the Middle East, who has really become his go to negotiator on a number of issues, Steve Whitcoff, the Secretary of Saint Marco Rubio and President Trump's top national security advisor. They will head two Saudi Arabia to meet with a high level delegation from Ukraine. It'll be the first such engagement since that dust up in the Oval Office between Ukraine's President Televski, President Trump and Vice President Advance, which was only a week ago, if you can believe it.
Speaker 1: I know it seems like it was a while ago. So this time the Ukraine and the US are talking. Russia is not part of these.
Speaker 4: Talks, that's right.
Speaker 3: They're on the sidelines here, and that is a key part of this. Still, they're looming large over the conversation because we have yet to see any signal from the Kremlin that they're willing to move towards the negotiated peace in Ukraine, and of course the focus of this talk between the US and Ukraine is figuring out what the framework for any kind of ceasefire might look like.
Speaker 1: Okay. And then after the big dust stuff and the big falling out and we've paused AID and we were pausing intelligence, what is it that's gotten them back together?
Speaker 3: Well, there was a real coordinated effort from Ukraine to show President Trump that yes, the country does want to see this three year war, brutal war come to an end. We saw Zelenski send a letter. There's also a public sort of apology where he called the White House meeting regrettable. So that has gone a long way towards convincing the President apparently that Ukraine is worth meeting with, that they're ready to actually sit down and get to brass tax here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so the President and the Vice President Basie both said, you know what, Ukraine needs to apologize. It appears that he did. Okay, So they're going to meet on Tuesday, and then I'm sure we're going to talk to you again about that after the meeting. So Shannon Kingston, ABC, thank you.
Speaker 3: So much, thank you of of all the details for you.
Speaker 1: All right, great, have a great weekend. You know what today is? March seventh? Do you know what that's special? No, it's special because.
Speaker 5: When we.
Speaker 10: Window must come together as well.
Speaker 13: We Are the World debut forty years ago today, from March seventh, nineteen eighty five, and I think that we didn't have Will Gans on with us today.
Speaker 1: He's our entertainment guy. He wasn't available, like he's like on vacation or something. But I wanted to mention that maybe this would be a good weekend to curl up on the couch and watch The Greatest Night in Pop on Netflix. Have you watched that one? Okay, So in case you haven't heard about it, it's on Netflix. And it's the story of how they came together to do We Are the World, and how they got all of these artists together and begin again. It was nineteen eighty five. Everybody didn't have cell phones, right, everybody didn't have email, so you couldn't text, and so they had to get all these people together and they did it on the night I think I think it was the night of the Grammys, but they did this whole super secret thing and they recorded it in the middle of the night, and there was all this going back and forth on who was gonna sing what, and somebody walked out and Prince didn't show up, and they talked about singing part of it and swaa he lee, but then that didn't come forward. I mean, it was just the story is so fascinating and everybody's in it. Lionel Ritchie, of course, Michael Jackson, Paul Simon, Cindy lauperd Dion Warwick, Kim Carnes, Huey Lewis, al Jiau, Willie Nelson, Bruce Springsteen, Steve Perry from Journey, Huey Lewis, Bob Dylan, like, everybody was part of this and making that happen, and Quincy Jones, Quincy Jones and yeah, like of course Quincy Jones. But putting it together was a monumental feat and the show is really cool. It's so fun to watch it. So if you have some time this weekend, the Greatest Night and Pop on Netflix, and we celebrate forty years If We Are the World. We went as We Are the World for Halloween one year. I mean that, well, so my sorority's Alpha Fi and so we all got together and we all dressed as the different people guess who.
Speaker 7: I was, Michael Jackson.
Speaker 1: Hell oh say Laufer? Yeah, okay, thank you, ann Yeah yep, yeah, okay. Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. The FBI has placed a former Olympic snowboarder on its ten most Wanted list. Ryan Wedding was a member of the Canadian Olympic team in two thousand and two. The FBI says they believe he led an international drug trafficking operation and is involved in several murders. It's believed he's hiding out in Mexico under the protection of the Sineloa drug cartel. There is a ten million dollar reward for information leading to weddings capture. Egg prices could be coming down thanks to declining bird flu cases in California. The state hasn't seen any new human cases since January, and sickness in dairy cows is slowing. The virus is also decreasing in poultry, which many flocks now are going out of quarantine. This follows months of rising cases that prompted Governor Newsom to declare a statewide emergency in December. LA's financial position has worsened and could get even worse. Next year.
Speaker 8: The city Controller's office projects a revenue shortfall of one hundred and forty million dollars and lower collection of sales and business tax to the tune of ninety two million dollars below what was budgeted. Controller Kenneth Mahea says the city is trying to find savings and cutting cost but as the new budget has created, trouble could be ahead.
Speaker 3: You have to end up cutting spending and cutting positions, which in turn leads the less services or resources.
Speaker 8: Maha also says tens of millions of dollars in grants the city received this year likely won't be repeated for the new fiscal year that starts in July. Michael monks KFI news.
Speaker 1: And just like that, our time for wake up call is over. That means handle on the news is coming up in just moments. This is KFI and kost HD two Los Angeles, Orange County Southland weather from KFI. The storm is gone and the sun returns today. Highs in the low sixties at the beaches Metro LA and Inlando c Low to mid sixties in the Valley's fifties to low sixties in the Inland Empire, forties and fifties for the Antelope Valley. Clear skies tonight with lows in the thirties and forties, sunny, Tomorrow, highs in the sixties to about seventy sunny with HIGs in the sixties to mid seventies for Sunday. And then guess what. Another storm moves in Monday with a fifty percent chance of rain in the afternoon, and we're expecting to see rain off and on through most of next week. It's forty two in Diamond Bar, forty three Garden Grove, thirty six in Palmdale, forty seven in El Segundo. We lead local live from the KFI twenty four hour newsroom for producer Ann and technical producer Kno, along with traffic specialist Will. I'm Amy King. This has been your wake up call, and if you missed any wake up call, you can listen anytime on the iHeart Radio app. You've been listening to wake Up Call with me, Amy King. You can always hear Wakeup Call five to six am Monday through Friday on kf I AM six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.