Speaker 1: And so that was really where my life. Like the moment I got that call, I knew nothing was ever going to be the same again. You know, I've had lots of bad calls in my life, but they're all savable. You could save a big client that left you, you can make another sale, you can get a bigger house, you can go to the gym. You can't bring back the dead. And that to me was as a control freak, as an alpha male, as somebody that always was able to manipulate my environment. Death is so permanent that I struggled a lot, you know, with that idea that I can't And that's you know, a lot of guilt and shame. Like where was I when when Seth was struggling? What was I doing? Was I focused on making money? Was I worried about what people have thought about this dad whose son was struggling. I didn't know anybody that had a son and died. When the teachers told me to take him to the doctor for his lack of focus and attention, that was the beginning of the end of my son.
Speaker 2: This is Wake Up with Marci, a space for honest conversations about healing, recovery and women's wellness. I'm Marcy Hopkins. Take a breath, You're safe here. Let's begin. How do you keep going when your world falls apart, when you've buried your child, when addiction steals the people you love, when the life you built no longer exists. Most people think grief is something you eventually get over. But what if healing isn't about getting over it? What if it's about finding purpose in the pain. Today we're talking about addiction, grief, mental health, and the extraordinary strength that takes to choose hope after unimaginable loss.
Speaker 3: Welcome all to.
Speaker 2: Wake Up with Marcy. I'm so grateful you are here today. I'm your host, Marcy Hopkins. I am an author, TV host, motivational speaker, mental health advocate, and a woman in long term recovery. And on wake Up, we have honest com conversations about mental health, recovery, and relationships and self discovery and what it really takes to rebuild your life. In today's conversation resonates with you. Please like, comment, subscribe, and share this episode with someone who may need to hear it. These conversations save lives, and together we can help break the stigma surrounding addiction and mental health. Today's episode is one that will touch every parent, every family, and every person who has ever loved someone struggling with addiction, or any parent or anyone that has suffered loss. Because addiction and loss don't just affect the individual. It impacts everyone who loves them, and sometimes it leaves behind unimaginable grief. My guest today is Jeff Johnston. Jeff spent more than three decades building a successful investment firm, managing over eight hundred million dollars in assets. By every outward measure, he had built an extraordinary life. But in twenty sixteen, everything changed when his twenty three year old son Seth died from fentanyl poisoning after what began with a prescription for adderall Then just five years later, Jeff lost his wife Prudence, to alcoholism. Instead of allowing those heartbreaking losses to define him, Jeff dedicated his life to changing the conversation around addiction, grief, and mental health. Today, he is the founder of Living Undeterred, the host of the Living Undeterred podcast, author of This One's for You, and the creator of Brighton, a new mental wellness platform designed to help people recognize emotional struggles before they become a crisis. Let's meet Jeff Johnston. Jeff, welcome to Wake Up with Marcy. I'm so grateful you're here today.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm excited to have this conversation. It's quite amazing what has transpired in my life the last ten years. But I'm trying to really reframe it as an opportunity to become a better person, not a bitter person, as I like to say when I share the story, because we all have a story, right, we just need a platform to share it and to pull each other up from these tough times that we're all in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, you've gone through some really unimaginable times and.
Speaker 3: That's what I want.
Speaker 2: I want to start with and why this work now is so important for you. So before you even became an advocate for addiction and mental health, you were a successful financial advisor. Everything looked really good from the outside, but then your entire world changed. Can you take us back to that time and what was happening for you?
Speaker 1: Yeah, to put it in context. So I'm sixty, I'm sixty years old this year, and I'll go back ten years. That's kind of where you know, for lack of a better way to say it, where really this all began for me at that particular on that particular day. It was October fourth, twenty sixteen, to be exact. So I was fifty years old, happily married to my lovely wife Prudence for twenty one years. We had three boys. Seth was our oldest, twenty three in Roman and Ian were fifteen and thirteen. I was running a wealth management firm that I started in my car out of college in nineteen eighty nine. You know, no internet, no cell phones, just knocking on door selling insurance to start. And by the time I was fifty, we had we had raised or amassed about eight hundred million dollars of assets under management. So we had a very thriving boutique wealth management firm here in Cedar Rapids, IOWA. I had a TV show for five years, Sunday Morning Investment Hour, and then I did radio for about seventeen. Our show was still running even though I'm not in the business anymore. But from all circumstances, like you said, from the external, you know I was rotarian. I was you know, I was active in the community. You know, everything looked perfect, like I had the perfect life, and as you find out, you know behind the veil. You know, a lot of times these foundations are built very fragile. And you know, on that particular day, I got a call that every parent dreads, and you know, to call you become a fast member of a club you didn't ask to join in when you can never leave. And our oldest son, Seth, was found dead in a hotel room, just like in the movies, a CD hotel room, you know, little room chair in a corner, and he was slumped over with the needle in his arm. And what Seth had done is he had run into fentanyl. And I never heard of fentanyl. I knew it. Drugs and addiction were because Seth had struggled since he was given adderall at sixteen. In the minute that adderall hit his body, he was never the same. And you know, I can say all this in hindsight now, but in the middle of the fire, you don't realize all this stuff because there's all these other other things pulling at you. And you know, eight years later, everything in between, from drunk drivings and breaking and enterings to cocaine, you know, and prison, even he was in prison and was released and then had met somebody that introduced him to heroin, and so that was really where my life. Like the moment I got that call, I knew nothing was ever going to be the same again. You know, I've had lots of bad calls in my life, but they're all savable.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: You can save a big you could save a big client that left you. You can make another sale, you can get a bigger house, you can go to the gym. You can't bring back the dead. And and that to me was as a control freak, as an alpha male, as somebody that always was able to manipulate my environment. Death is so permanent that I struggled a lot, you know, with that idea that I can't And that's you know a lot of guilt and shame. Like where was I when when Seth was struggling? What was I doing? Was I focused on making money? Was I worried about what people have thought about this dad whose son was struggling. I didn't know anybody that had a son that died. You know, there was a there was no there was no comparable story. I didn't know anybody, you know, It's just it doesn't right.
Speaker 2: That's why one. It's so important that you are sharing your story and thank you for your strength there. I can't imagine anything worse than losing a child. I want to go back though, you said that he was prescribed after all, So I mean there's a lot of people out there, a lot of families, you know, our children are being prescribed medications. We're thinking nothing like this could happen to us. You know, these are things that happened to other people. But what do you what do you wish parents would really understand?
Speaker 1: Great question. I appreciate the question. First off, I'm not a doctor. I'm just his dad from Iowa. That I tell my story and people can extract from it what they want. You know, I'm not here to tell you to get your kid off adderall. I'm sharing how my son got started. The gateway, the doorway that was cracked over for him was his abuse of Adderall. And it started by going to parent teacher conferences at our local high school here, and the teachers are my wife and I would come in like you do when you have kids, and you sit down and you know a lot of times they're very good. But with Seth, it was struggling in school. So that just didn't really fit into that standard of memorizing tests and all that stuff. He was great athlete, he was popular amongst his friends, but he just struggled academically. And I did too. I'd never made out oferall in high school ever, And I think attention deficit is a convenient label. When I was younger, they just called us, you know, hyper or your spas or whatever. But we didn't have these labels now that we just hand them out like their skittles. And so the teachers are like, you know, Jeff, you need to take your son in to get him looked at. And I'm like, why, He's a fifteen year old, red blood American boy, and I don't see the problem, Like, well, he's disruptive in class and he's not doing well in school. So the first mistake I made was believing them. I'm his dad, I'm around him more than they are. They bring cognitive biases, teachers due to school. They have other kids that distract him too, So it's like it was unfair to label my son that. But at the time, I was just like focused on other things, and I thought, I'll just take him to the doctor. Well, a couple doctor visits, and we walked out with this real convenient label on his forehead. Attention deficit disorder. We named it. We can tame it for you, mister Johnston, and we'll tame it by this prescription of this drug called adderall. It's watered down meth amphetamines. That's all Adderall is. I didn't know that. I had no idea. My dad's a doctor. I should have consulted him, but I didn't. I just handed my son the bottle, which was a mistake. But I didn't even realize that you could take three or four. I thought he would just take one, like I told him too. And yeah, so you know, I guess the first mistake, and people want to throw me under the bus. I don't really care anymore people think about me. I gave him the bottle. I shouldn't have done that. I didn't. It didn't dawn on me my dad. I took prescriptions over my lifetime, and I always just took one and never even consider taking two. But he got abusing it and selling it at school, and then it just that opened up the vaping and the alcohol and everything else. And so no, I gas my parents when I keynote all of the country. You know, where do the start because everyone wants to relate it to their own children. And I have to say it was when the teachers told me to take him to the doctor for his lack of focus and attention. That was the beginning of the end of my son.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean what I feel from you telling the story that you feel some sort of guilt.
Speaker 3: I don't want to assume your feelings, but no.
Speaker 1: I do. I do and I always will and I respect him Now. I don't fear the guilt. I don't fear shame. I'm using them as a superpower for me to make me do what I do. Now, I have to have some element of guilt and shame. I mean if I took a pill, if you came to me and said, Jeff, I have a pill to get rid of all your guilt, shame and everything you have, I wouldn't take it. Yeah, I'd sit on my couch and watch TV all day and be two hundred pounds and drink. I need to have this to drive me. I need it. Not recommending it for everybody.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But what what I was going to say is that we trust the teachers and they're around children a lot, and so we believe that what they suggest is truth. And then you went to the doctors and really, you know, you're your child, like we all respond respond differently to drugs, alcohol, whatever we put into our bodies, right, and I myself and I've done recently this, I mean, many young people have their drugs for ADHD, which, like you said, I mean I think probably one in three children have.
Speaker 1: Been or more adults. More adults take adderall now than children.
Speaker 2: Well well, right, but my point to this is is that we in our minds would take one. We can't imagine taking.
Speaker 1: More, Yeah, cross my mind, right, But you know.
Speaker 2: Like for me, I'd drink a whole bottle, and maybe for someone they would never think of drinking more than half a glass. So it's hard to get in the mind of someone that responds a certain way to a drug.
Speaker 1: And you're also looking at a child too. The prefrontal cortex is not formed. So this wasn't like a forty year old man that you were giving adderall too. This was a child that didn't understand addiction, didn't understand this stuff of course. So again I think the system, at some point a doctor or somebody should have said, hey, mister Johnston, make sure that you give him one to day instead they have give him you know, no one never, no one told me even to consider not giving him the bottle. I just that's what I did. I didn't want to add one every day. But if someone said, hey, this is something that could get him in trouble, you need to give him one a day, I would have done that.
Speaker 3: I I can relate to that.
Speaker 2: And as far as uh, someone in my family is on bybance and they have abused by bance in certain situations because they think if one is helping, then more is going to help more. Absolutely, yeah, yeah, and it's right right, So it made him feel good, you know, it made him, yes, And then we also mentally convince ourselves like we can't do better, well, you can't do.
Speaker 3: Well without it and all of the things.
Speaker 2: And so with this loss again, an unimaginable loss. I can't even imagine what happened for you after that. How did that affect your life? I mean, I can't even imagine being able to get out of bed.
Speaker 1: Well I didn't for a while, but the day that Seth died, I knew I had to tell my wife that he died and I remember coming around the corner and we were going to a golf tournament. Our middle son was in a tournament that day, and my wife had all the orange and black on for the high school and she had a cup of coffee and talking to him and her mom on the phone. And I come around the corner in the bathroom and I'm just trembling, and she can instantly see something bad happens, and I just say the same thing I heard on the phone, Seth is dead, and oh my god, yeah, she yeah, Obviously she was never the same after that, and we both just hit the ground and I don't remember anything. And then I thought that I got to tell the two brothers next. That's like the next thing I got to do. And so when they got home, I had to create this narrative, and so I had I had all day to think about what I was going to say. Talk to my dad and he gave me some good advice. My dad's amazing, and he said, just tell them the truth and then shut your mouth, Jeff, because you like to fix everything. You like to talk. You're a salesman, you know you like to you know you're not going to fix this, Jeff just tell them the truth. And so I did. And when I told him, I said, I have some really bad news. Your brother's dad. And my middle son, Ian said, how do he died? Dad? Drugs? He's fifteen? Yeah, And I said yeah, And then I didn't say anything. And then something happened to me. And I don't know where it came from, but I didn't really want to plan on what I was going to say. I wanted to be very spontaneous and be authentic and genuine, you know, and be be a leader, right because that's what dads try to be, you know, parents try to be leaders. And I just had this feeling in me, like, you know, this is this is go time, man, This is like these dad moments you get, these husband moments, these son moments you get maybe like honest to god, you get like five in your lifetime where you have this moment in time where the spotlight's on you and the arena is full and you have to pick up the microphone and you got to say something to get people to just run through a fire for you. And so I said, I said, boys, we have one of two roads to go down now. We have one road of anger, despair and hatred and we'll become alcoholics and addicts ourselves, or we have a road of love, hope, and inspiration, and this could be the single greatest moment in our lives to make a difference in the lives of others. I asked you to join me, and they did, but I didn't. The next year and a half, I stayed home and my wife and I got drunker every single day. I'd been a full alcoholic since eighteen so most people didn't know that. And I stayed home and lied to everybody that I was doing good. And my boys were out raising money and doing fundraisers and talking about their brother and doing interviews, and you know, I'm doing that too, But behind the scenes, my wife and I are just drinking, drinking, drinking. And then, fourteen months after Seth's died, my wife walked by me at ar condo of Florida and I just looked at it and I thought, man, this she's gone. She's defeated, like nothing left. And then I went in the bathroom and looked in the mirror and I said, you pathetic piece of you know what you are. You don't deserve to be alive. You are You are just the most lowly human that's ever been born. Here's your son died, and you drink, and now your wife's dying and you're drinking. And so that day, on December twenty fourth of seventeen, I poured my glass of sandio Vs down the drain and I've never had a thought of alcohol nine years imming. Well, that's I thought I could quit to help Prudence. I really thought I could quit to help Prudence. But I realized quickly how I was one hundred ninety pounds. I was, you know, puffy. I was not healthy, but I noticed I was getting healthier very quickly. And a week went by, two weeks went by, but it didn't help Prudence. And on June twenty nine of twenty one, one day after our youngest Roman turned eighteen, to the rest of his life, the day after his birthday, you know, my wife drank herself to death at age forty six. She weighed eighty eight pounds and was in a wheelchair when she died. And so the moment I told her coming across that bathroom hallway on October fourth of sixteen, that's when she died. But she actually left the earth, you know, on June twenty ninth of twenty one, and so here again, you know, death knocks on my door. Hey Jeff, you know, don't get too don't get too confident yet. I'm going to take someone else you care about. What are you going to do about it? What are you gonna do about it? Well, And that's that's what death told me to do. And so I made a lot of changes in my life. I wrote a book, I did my podcast that I enjoyed doing. Still, I bought an RV and drove around the United States for ninety five days, twenty two thousand miles and the greatest odyssey in my life with my two boys. And we did thirty five presentations in like thirty two states, trying to raise a million dollars and give it all to give it all to charity for nonprofits for recovery. And but I only raised forty five thousand, and I put over three hundred thousand of my own money into the project. So here I am sitting at the end of the tour feeling like a failure again. You know, I failed, my son failed, my wife failed as an advocate. But there was just something in me I can't I can't turn off that I'm just going to keep failing forwards like I'm going to keep when I do fall, I'm going to fall forward. I don't want to fall backwards.
Speaker 3: If that's something your son.
Speaker 1: Said to you, yeah, he did. Roman said that to me. At the time, I thought of the app, the bright app that we have. Now he said, you know, Dad, one thing about you man that I respect you, is that when you fail, you fail forwards. At the time he said it, he didn't really resonate with me. I almost thought it was a criticism in a way. But now it's I'm going on and I look at my quote failures. I didn't fail set as a dad. I did the best that I could. I didn't fail my wife, Prudence. You know, they both made their own choices. I didn't put the needle in his arm. I didn't pour the alcohol down her throat. You know. I and so I harbor some guilt and shame, but I don't think that's bad. I don't have the weight of it anymore. That pulls me down like an anchor on my you know, my my ankles, like when I cry, I talk about the weight of the tears are different. It's not my my tears aren't weighted with suffering and pain. They're weighted with gratitude and inspiration and love and and so it's been you know, a ten year fight with two deaths, you know, half my family. But now I'm sixty and there's a tremendous amount of peace in my heart. Now. Then I don't chase the things I used to chase, and I don't want the things I used to want.
Speaker 2: I want, But it's it's amazing that you're you're at where you're at.
Speaker 3: And but what helped you?
Speaker 2: I know that you've found direction and you wanted to help others, But what helped you to get through that devastating grief?
Speaker 3: And I know we never get through the grief. We seen the way that we grieve. Yeah, what helped you during that time?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 3: Out there?
Speaker 1: Yeah, two things And I'm not recommending these for anybody. This You asked me about me, so I'm going to tell you about me. I had an incident when my wife died. My mom died three months after my wife, So I lost you know, my son, my wife, my mom, all in four and a half years. My mom and I were real close, you know, just miss her immensely. Every day. But it was Christmas weekend and I was in a really getting in a dark place. My boys weren't around, so I was by myself, and I decided I was going to kill myself. And I went into my closet and got my safe and got my bread out and as a mirror right there where my wife put in the change clothes and stuff, and I sat there right in front of the mirror, and I sat there for three days. I don't remember anything. I broke my phone, broke my computer because there was nobody was going to call me and talk to me. I walked into that closet. I was either going to walk out a superhuman or I was going to be dead. There was no light coming out of there, not with unanswered questions. I was going to figure this out on my own. And I was sober, and I was not on any drugs, like no prescription. I don't take any prescriptions. And so Marci for me that three day in that closet and walking out, I know now I can handle anything. I know now that I don't need drugs, I don't need alcohol, I don't need I don't need anyone to help me. I was given everything I have, and so are you, and so all your listeners, all your followers. We're given all these tools. The problem is we just we numbled. Seth had tools to deal with what he was going on. We just gave matter all. My wife had tools to deal with what she was doing with. We just gave her thirteen prescription bottles and alcohol. It's like, I don't want to do that. So I eliminated those things in my life. And I was able to sit in that closet for three hellish days and countered backwards from ten. I don't know how many times you know what I'm here. I made it on your show. I don't recommend that to people, but that's what Jeff Johnston needed. I needed that. And then so the second thing that really helped me was getting introduced to Psychedelic assistant therapy, which probably has been like the thing that's kept everything together in my life. Just being able to separate me from me, being able to have grace and mercy for what I've been through and not be so hard on Jeff because I hated myself for so even when I was making money, I hated myself, hated myself, and I looked in the mirror, felt deceptive, felt like I manipulated people, like I got what I wanted out of people. And then when the universe took half my family and I realized I didn't have any control in that. But there is a there is an important part of this, and you know you know this, and I think it's important to share that how this sometimes can be a wonderful experience, even in the middle of the worst possible scenarios. Three weeks after Seth died, his daughter was born, and I don't know if he knew it was his daughter. He may have waited to see and get it, get her tested. But he didn't obviously live that long because he died three weeks before she was born, and we didn't know about her for a year. So we get a call from his best friend, and what what an unbelievable thing to have as a as a grandparent now, to least to lose a son and lose my wife and then find out a year later, I got this granddaughter. So she's ten now or will be, and her name's Brighton. But I think about I know so many parents, Marcia, on this journey I've been on that have lost like their only child, I know. I know multiple parents I've lost their only two kids. I have two of my three still here. I'm damn lucky. Man, I had twenty one great years of marriage. I'm damn lucky. I know people have lost their spouse a year and the a breast cancer showed up a year after they got married, or a car accident, drunk driver, kids drownding in pools, And I'm like, yeah, sure it sucks, but man, I had some great moments that I have things that really be proud of. And so even though I've let go a lot of my guilt, a lot of my shame, a lot of my anger, I need I hold onto what I need to get me the inspiration and the motivation to get to where I'm at. So I do want to keep some of that. I think it's healthy for Jeff. I can't speak for what grief does to you, but I know for me, I sit and I cry, and I cry, and when I'm done, I tell when I talk to people, I say, when's the last time you had the worst crive of your life and you felt worse? Ever, it's not possible, and the idea of impermanent means the worst of times and the best of times don't last forever, and we just believe they do. And so I know I'm going to be another phone call away from somebody in my life dying. It people are going to get the call that I died, And that's the only tragedy, is the order I guess because death is inevitable. And I practice stoicism. I meditate. There's lots of things I do to get out of my head because we can ruminate, be so negative and be it be our worst, our worst enemy, stead of our best ally. And so these are things I never did before Seth died. I never meditated, you know, I never thought about mental health. I was an alcoholic. So it's like, the real question is, Marci, why does it take so much horrible things to happen in your life to make changes? I think that's that's the right question to ask, is why does it take feeling the flames of hell literally to change your life? I'd like to figure out a way we could change our lives without these things having to happen.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, I think that crisis allows us to look at life in a different way. I think that when things go well, we take life for granted. And it is through this these sometimes you know, fall to our need moments, our needs moments that allow us to wake up in a different way.
Speaker 3: And and it.
Speaker 2: Is about now the work that we're doing, about trying to help people to to create a change in their lives before something like this happens.
Speaker 3: But you know, addiction is a disease.
Speaker 2: I would ask you, through helping people out there, what.
Speaker 3: What are you see?
Speaker 2: I mean, how are people needing emotionally?
Speaker 3: What are they needing?
Speaker 1: Well, I think we have everything that we need, We're just not aware of it. And I'll give you a really good example. I'm a certified scuba diver, so I like to dive, and I haven't dove in a few years because of my advocacy right now, but I've got close to two hundred dives. My wife was a diver and we dove in the Caribbean and stuff, and we were my son and I. After my wife died, I got my youngest son certified. He's a great diver. And we were in Saint Lucia diving on a night dive and we were down about eighty feet on a reef with like I don't know, fourteen of us or something, and it's not as scary as you think. Actually, you're signing lights and when you dive, you just don't you don't think about things like that. You just look at your in awe of the beauty of the of the ocean. And we were told beforehand that our dive master would flip his lights a few times on our ascent and we would shut our lights off for a few minutes. And you know, so here you're going to be in the ocean, you know, half a mile out on a reef at night, shutting your lights off pretty cool. And so we did it, and we did it, and you know what, you know what happened. M Once I shut the lights off and I couldn't see, I could hear the whale sirens. I could hear the whale sirens in the water, and when you turn the light back on, you couldn't hear them. And it dawned on me that there are whale sirens around me all day long, and there's some beautiful things going around me.
Speaker 4: But I run around like this, so focused on me and me and this and that, and I want this car, and I want this shirt, and I want this and I want this from somebody and it's like it's me, and it's like that's the spotlight.
Speaker 1: When you're under the ocean and you're looking at everything. You're so absorbed with seeing everything, and then a minute you can't see your other senses kick in. And so for me, it was profound for me because now when I go through my life, I think about the whales. You know, I'm at target or I'm at a park, and sometimes I'll close my eyes even when I talk to people and just think about the whales and just absolutely one of the most profound moments in my life. So I missed that opportunity with Seth and Prudence my spotlight, you know, and I missed it. And so I think moments like that when you can be present and really be present with all your sensories, you know, it's not just one thing. Again, I've learned that I need to be a lot better at that in my life.
Speaker 2: You know, we all need to learn that because we are all disconnected from our higher power source. To me, like that's nature, like you you are connected at that time.
Speaker 3: And I mean, this is what we learned from a young age.
Speaker 2: You know, grind push, you know, keep moving and you don't take the time, and you don't just stay still for a moment and connect with yourself right to You're always looking for outside validation.
Speaker 3: If you will.
Speaker 1: I told that story because you asked about, like, what did what did I need? And I think I think the first thing I needed to do, the very first thing I needed to do, was have a clean mind and body before I could handle suffering and grief and all this stuff. So that's like stopping alcohol was like the greatest decision I ever made, because if I'm in that closet, I'm drunk. If I'm in that closet, I'm drunk, I kill myself. Or if I'm taking Zolaugh or all these different anxiety pills and stuff Lexaprona, I probably kill myself. The fact I could actually appreciate, not endure, the suffering and the pain I was going through, And I think part of that comes from a book I read, Man Search for Meeting by Victor Frankel, which I think is the greatest book I've ever read in my life. For me, he was an Auschwitz survivor and talks about pretty much how he made it through it was changing his attitude and actually almost at some point having empathy for the guards that a lot of them weren't there because they wanted to be there. They're there because they had to be there their families to be killed, and so he was. He just reframed his whole situations as love, which is just mind boggling. You think you could just get randomly murdered in any given day and you're you're you're trying to develop empathy towards these people. It's it's it's it's forgiveness, and it's it's it's what again, we have this ability, Marcy, but we don't utilize it. We have so much anger and hate, and we watch videos that people road rage and yell at each other. It's like, I don't get it. I don't get it.
Speaker 2: But at one point you you were living life that way. Yeah, I was profound moments that happened for you that that changed it for you. So it's like, Okay, so we're out there and we're scrambling and we're not paying attention and and and but what can we do to switch that for ourselves or help someone that that is in that darkest grief and they feel like they can't get out, Like, how do you start pulling yourself out.
Speaker 1: Well, first off, nobody's broken. I'm I'm I don't need fixed. I'm not broken. I don't need someone to come in and give me some solution to make my life. I have everything inside of me to do that. Yes, I think everybody does. Everybody has the gifts inside of them, but we're not We're not utilizing them. So it's like, why aren't we utilizing the gifts? When I say gifts, I'm talking about even pain and suffering, and you know, discipline and motivation, those are gifts as well. I think it's expectations as well. I think it's like, what what do you really expect on this eighty year journey in your lifetime? Like do you expect it to be rainbows and butterflies and all that stuff and unicorns, Well, you're going to be You're going to be very much disappointed. Or do you expect it to be like The Odyssey the movie I just watched Matt Damon in it where it's like every corner around the corner, something's trying to kill you. Well, that's not a great way to live either. So there's got to be some balance and harmony, Like you have to be able to prepare, and you have to have realistic expectations. And so for me, my daily preparation, my food, I eat, the fact. I don't drink, don't smoke, I don't have toxic relationships. I read, I write. I'm not on TikTok. It's like I'm not on social media. I am to promote the app and stuff, but other than that, I'm not out there doom scrolling, watching fights in Walmart parking lots, or people yelling at cops when they get pulled out. I'm not doing that. These are all things I can control, and I just don't buy that this stuff's I have a little bit of a philosophical difference just because and I know it's probably a great it's probably a touchy area, but I'm not convinced that these things are diseases. And if they are, and if alcoholism is a disease and I have a disease, then I'm living proof that you can you can, you can beat disease. You can win the disease fight by just stopping. I just I just stopped. So I'm not a clinician. I'm not a doctor, and I'm not going to ever get into a bait with someone over a disease or or you know, choice, because there's a choice model for addiction, there's a disease model. And you got people on both sides that are killing each other over it, literally, And I'm like, whatever pathway if you believe it's a disease, and you have to go to AA and you have to do all that, but you don't drink. If the end result is you don't, then that's great. If you don't think it's a disease and the death of your child motivates you to quit, and neither neither person drinks, then who really cares how you got there? I don't really care. So as an advocate for recovery and all that, I'm an advocate for whatever pathway is right for you. So that that's where I stand. And so you know, I've got into heated discussions with people about they believe it's a disease and that's and that's what they want to believe, And I'm like, why do you feel you have to convince me otherwise I'm not trying to convince you. It's a choice. I don't really care you don't drink. I don't drink, right that's all that really should matter. But we're starting to get these factions now on these sides of the fence, and who's right and who's wrong, And I'm like, isn't the goal just to have a healthy relationship with your body and not be addicted to whatever you are addicted to. I had a gambling addiction for twenty years. I one day just realized even when I won, I lost. Even when I won, I lost. And once that sentence got in my head, I never gambled again. I quit cold turkey. I don't think I'm anything special. I don't think i'm a I'm a dad from Iowa. I'm highly motivated to never go back to the times in my life where I hated myself and so but I work hard at this. I know I'm an addictive personality. I know that if I opened up a gambling side on my phone, put a twenty dollars bed in, I know where that would go. I know if I had a drink, I know where that would go. You know. I don't need anyone to tell me, you know. But I go to AA meetings all the time with friends. I go like every other week, so two or three, four times a month, I'm in an AA meeting and I go around the room. They'll say, Hey, I'm Marcie, I'm an alcoholic. Hi, I'm Tim an alcoholic, And I say, Hi, I'm Jeff. I don't drink. I'm not an alcoholic. And the reason I say that is is I use an analogy in my book. I wrote about if I was overweight, you know, one hundred pounds, and I went to you know, I'm just not trying to hurt anyone's feelings. But let's say I went to you know, fat people, anonymous or something, and I'm around a room of a bunch of overweight people and we all go around say I'm Jeff, I'm fat. Hi, I'm Jeff, I'm fat. And then I lose one hundred pounds to get in shape and I'm not fat anymore. I wouldn't go to that meeting and go Hi, I'm Jeff, I'm fat. I would say, I'm Jeff, how are you doing? You know? So my relationship with alcohol is the same way as weight loss, the same way as anything else. Is I don't call myself an alcoholic. I'm not depressed. I just have long bouts of sadness. Who wouldn't be sad losing half their family. So I don't accept the diagnosis of depression. I probably am I'm probably madic depressive, I'm probably bipolar, I'm probably ADHD. I don't accept any of those terms for me. And again, it's just it's a choice. I'm not trying to say I'm right. This is the way people need to live their lives. This is the way I need to live my life. And if you want to be telling yourself you're depressed, alcoholic and fat and that, I mean, that's up to you. I care about you, but I don't care. Well, I do care at the end of the day. I do care about you. I want you to make sure that you have the best chance to have a chance to live, to be one hundred and have a good lived experience. But my point is the stories we tell ourselves, Marci, that the lies we tell ourselves, and we just allow this to happen. We're not obligating. You're obligated to tell yourself a new story anytime you want, that's a fact. You're not obligated to repeat stories in your head. That's that that's domination and that's not healthy. And I did it for a long time, and it put me in the closet with a gun in my hand, and I don't want to go back there. So I just tell myself new stories. You know.
Speaker 3: Well, so there you are.
Speaker 2: I mean, you're you're getting to a place where it's like, okay, I'm telling myself a new story. Our brains are in neuroplasticity. We're meaning the wiring of our brains. So we're changing the thought process and we're changing the story that we tell ourselves. And yes, we are programmed when we are being raised in society and all the things, we are being programmed. Yeah, and that's when we make these decisions, these healthy choices, we start to create that change in our brain and rewire what is happening. So there is very very much so science that is behind this and creating the change. It's not just one day I say Okay, I'm going to feel better and I'm not going to talk to myself this way anymore, and then that's that's the way it goes. That is that is not truth. And I don't want anyone out there to think that.
Speaker 1: And that's what the manifestation people say, Oh, just manifest abundance. It's like, it doesn't work that way.
Speaker 2: Now you have to put in action and there is stuff that you have to do every single day.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but what I want to talk about.
Speaker 2: Now is Brighten this app that I know that that's your grandchild's name and the beautiful part that came from all of this despair your granddaughters. So tell us about how the app was born and what exactly we get from the app?
Speaker 3: How can we in our lives.
Speaker 1: So when the tour was over and I was at that campsite in Little Rock where I was, you know, my son said you fail for and all that. I he asked me, what's next, and I'm like, well, I want to help young adults like gen Z was kind of my big thing. I wanted to help young adults like Seth. And he's like, well, you know, Dad, why don't you meet him where they're at? You like, you believe in harm reduction for addicts, and you know I do. I just want people to live that extra day. Maybe tomorrow's your sober day, but if you die today, you'll never get your sober day. Maybe October fourth, October fifth, twenty sixteen, Seth would have stopped drinking like I did. But he didn't. He died the day before. So harm reduction is just to get people to live another day. And people that don't like harm reduction thinks you're propoting drug use and all that. I'm like, fine, you probably haven't had a child die from drugs, then that's my guess. If you had, you you would change your perspective on this. Trust me, I would have done anything to have Set's heroin tested by fentanyl, but they're drug paraphernial in the state of Iowa. You can't buy you can't get fentanyl test strips because it's drug paraphernila. And that's just unbelievably naive on how addiction works.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so much naivety yet there.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's no, you can't you know safe surren sights. She's like, oh no, just promoting drug use. I'm promoting life. Drug use we can save. You can't save a life if someone's dead. No, you can get someone sober. You can't get them. You can't. You can't get them back from the dead. So shouldn't that be our first priory with anyone addict to drugs? It's just keep them freaking alive and then worry about all the other shit later, but we don't do that. Forgot where I was going with my little soapbox there.
Speaker 3: But we're talking about Brighton.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so there. Roman asked me, like, what's next, and I said, he said, build an app. So I said, okay, when you have a tension deficit, you just do what you're told. So I have no tech experience. I don't. I mean, I was fifty seven when I started this, so you can imagine my technical skills were pretty low. But I knew that I had some resources. I sold my investment companies, so I had some money up front. I knew I could go hire smart people and we could build this app. And so the idea that app really was. I did financial planning for thirty something years, and I thought to myself, if I could take what I learned in planning your finances and do it with planning your mental health, what would it look like? So, in other words, could I build the nation's first mental health mental wellness planning app? And if I did that, what would it be predicated on? Like in financial planning, there's something called diversification. You don't put all your eggs in one basket, right, your stocks, bonds, real estate, spread your money out right. Mental health you don't do that. Mental health was all your kids overweight, send them to the gym, your wife's drunk, senator rehab. He's like, everything's episodic, everything's predicated on what symptoms you have, and nothing is prior. I call that upstream and that's the title of my next book, called The Upstream Mind. So I wanted to build the first mental wellness planning app focused on three areas, like what would my human asset classes be? So you have stocks, bonds, and real estate for money, what would they be for a human? And to us it was health, wealth, and purpose. So we aim to improve human flourishing at the intersection of health, wealth, and purpose, using AI as an ally, not an enemy. That's my elevator pitch. By the way, that was my idea in the RV, sitting there in my bed, you know, at two in the morning, in tears because I'm like, what's next door is over? I don't want to just go to LinkedIn every day. I like my podcast, but that's not getting me the fulfill what I need. And so putting all my chips in the table and betting on this thing gave me a sense of purpose, and I made the same commitment I made when I walked in the closet. It's either going to be in the hands of millions of people or it's going to kill me. Same exact commitment I made walking in the closet with that gun I made when I started this app. I have no fear of going broke. I don't have a fear of going bankrupt. I don't have any fear. I'm going to make this work. I'm going to find people to believe in me. We have investors who're raising another round right now, and we've got great partners we've got. It's going great, not without its stress as a founder. I mean, I'm always worried about the next invoice, the next bill, and making sure we have enough money. But when you've been through that three day in the closet, everything else that would stress most people out. When I compare it to that that fight I did for three days, everything's almost comical. No, can't compare it.
Speaker 2: Well, there's many things you've gone through that you can't compare. But it's amazing thing now that you are like to me, I mean, do you do you have a belief in anything higher that you that that was fed through you, that you're working in any way.
Speaker 1: Great question. I've been. I've been an atheist my whole life. I made a shift after a psychedelic experience about three years ago. I've done seven psychedelic journeys. Psilocybin, mushrooms, E ketamine and five MEO DMT have been the main ones that I've used, and I realized that there is something going on. But I'm also smart enough to know that I'm not smart enough to know, Like I don't have to know. Of fact, I don't want to know. If you came right now and said, Jeff, I'm going to tell you right now, I think it would stop my wanting to learn, to stop my curiosity, and I feel like I was a puppet at that point. So it's like, I don't really want to know. I like the fact that I'm on a learning curve here. So now I've shifted to being agnostic, which simply means I don't know. But I respect all faiths. My best friends are most of them are wrong believers in God, and I pray with him. I don't pray myself. I've never prayed. How I talked out loud to God. Yeah, I did when Seth died, like talked out loud. I don't consider that. I don't ask for anything unique to me. I don't think there's a personal god. My opinion, if there is a supreme leader, he created all this and probably left and we're defend on our own. But because if that's the case, then I don't understand why Seth had to die. I don't get that part. And you could say, well, to make you a better man, but what about him? He's not here, he's got a daughter. It's like, why do you give kids cancer? Why do you have babies drowning pools? Why do you have murder suicides? I don't understand all that part. Again, I don't need to understand Marcie, because I'm not that smart. I am really comfortable not knowing, and I like the journey I'm on. But my psychedelics, I had some really amazing experiences that I felt. I felt something inside of me and next to me, but not above me.
Speaker 3: I don't think there's anything above us.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like I felt like you and I. I don't mean to say this, this will sound really arrogant, but I think we all have like god god like abilities in us like you're a God.
Speaker 3: We are a connection to God.
Speaker 1: We are my dogs of God, my God. It's like, what is I think you are God?
Speaker 2: I believe that we're all extensions of that. But the reason I asked that is, and that's my belief. You know that there were all this energetic, energetic connection of love and and we all have God within us and we are presence of God.
Speaker 1: Right, yeah, I can. I can live with that and that and that's.
Speaker 2: Just the word I think, just because the way that word has been used so many times that we people are uncomfortable using that word. But what I heard you say, and the reason I asked that is because you have no fear. And when you have no fear, you have faith. You have faith that things will work out.
Speaker 3: And that's what I have. I don't worry.
Speaker 2: I don't and I have and that took a lot of time and work on myself, you know, and that allows me now to do the work that I do and whatever the outcome is. But I believe in myself to be able to make a difference, and I have a you know. So that's where where that came from.
Speaker 1: Have you said the word faith? Because it's a chapter in my book, my first book I wrote because at the time I was shifting from atheism to agnosticism. And I think that word. Certain factions feel like they own that word, like they have the right to define it. And I'm like, no, I have faith that you're a nice person. I have a faith that your podcast is this is going to be a good conversation today. So I define So someone says you have faith, I mean absolutely, I have faith, but we just define it differently. Like I have faith that if I get up every morning and I plant seeds and I put bricks on a path and build my path, I have faith that I'm going to be given a choice again. It won't be a clear one. I could go back to drinking. I could I could stay sober. It's like, I think I have faith now in myself, I can make those choices when those choices will come in my life. Is it a guaranteed? Do I blindly think that somebody's going to make these choices for me? Is someone coming to save me? Hell no, they would think if they were going to save me, they would have done it ten years ago. And had my son just get high on heroin and not running the Fennol, they were going to save me. I don't expect anyone to save me. And I think that was that reliance on Jeff now at sixty years old. Now, if there is, if there is a personal God and he wants to really reach he or she or it wants to reveal itself, I'm all for it. Part the clouds, I'll see a chariot, I'm all in. I just haven't had it happen.
Speaker 3: To my brains. We can't. We can't, just like you're saying, I.
Speaker 1: Would think it was an alien. Probably if I saw, I think it was a you or something.
Speaker 3: But it's like I think it's something we can't see. I think, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: So what's three things that you want people to walk away from this interview and know about Brighton and what they'll gain from your books.
Speaker 1: I think one is my quote that I use all the time. Purpose becomes passion when he gets personal. So purpose becomes passion when he gets personal. And I think that's how I've designed My purpose in my life was to find something passionate that came from something personal. So all of us have the ability to find our purpose. You've got to start with a personal something very personal. The second thing is is a quote that Victor Frankel said in Man's Search for Meaning, which I basically stole part of it and redid it for my own terms. And Victor Frankel said, suffering will be my opportunity. That's what he said, and I rephrased it as in, pain is unavoidable, suffering is a choice. So the pain of Seth's death unavoidable. That's not a choice. But how long I endure the pain is a choice? Right, Yeah. And the third one is lead from a place of love, an abundance, not from fear and scarcity. Those would be off the top. I had three things that I could come up is that my whole life, I've had a prison built around me, bars around me, not letting people close, didn't trust people, wanted to take advantage of people. And then the minute that Seth and Prudence died and I got on the spiritual journey, that the bars just came trumbling down. And now I don't hate fentanyl. Fentanyl killed my son, but it kept my dad alive in the hospital. I don't hate the drug dealer. I'm assuming he was doing what he had to do his feet, his family and do whatever, and he probably's probably dead or in jail by now, so he had his payment coming. I don't have any hate in my heart. I mean no hate. And it's taken like ten long, hard years of daily practice, and I fully expect that I'm one minute away from another phone call. So I don't expect that there's any summit declined. There's no mountain I've conquered. I haven't won any game. I just want to live till tomorrow, and I want to live till the next day, and I want to live the next day and then my time comes and maybe I get cancer or get hit by a bus or by plane crashes. I want to be in a really good place that I could look back, if there is an afterlife and say, hey, good job, man, good job.
Speaker 3: You know I'm going to say, good job.
Speaker 2: You're doing truly amazing and the work that you're doing is amazing.
Speaker 3: And how can we connect with you?
Speaker 1: Jeff, Well, I'm all over the place. If you can't find me, you're not looking hard enough. I have two LinkedIn accounts. I have Jeff Johnston, I have Brighton. I have four Facebook living Underterred, Project, Living Undeterred, Brighton and Jeff Johnston. We're on all the social media's but I'm not really on much. But my team is like I have some gen z ers on our team that are getting me on TikTok Instagram, so you'll see me out there, but I'm not making those posts. I'm out there. I mean, my phone number is three one nine eight nine nine three four zero zero. I don't really care. I text people all day. I call. It's like I feel now that I'm here for a specific reason, and that's to really prevent anybody from ever dealing with what our family went through, but also spread love and hope that no matter what you're going through, you know, there really is always somebody out there that has it worse than you, and you have to understand it. Our stories can really help people that maybe you don't have it as bad as you, but your story can be that thing they can say, Man, you know what, if Jeff can do it, this average guy from Iowa, he's not a billionaire, I can do it too, you know. And that's really I think that's that's like that that that rocky mentality. You know that I'm trying to like show people that but also remind you that you don't have to wait for your life to fall apart to make changes. I mean, it probably makes a lot more sense to do all this stuff prior, you know, and not go through what I and so many people have gone through.
Speaker 2: But absolutely, well, thank you so much for coming on Wake Up, Jeff and helping us to move forward in our lives wherever we're at.
Speaker 1: Appreciate it very much. I've enjoyed it. Thank you.
Speaker 2: Thank you, And for anyone out there of today's conversation resonated with you, please like, comment or share this episode.
Speaker 3: That's someone that needs to hear it.
Speaker 2: And you never know who is carrying silent grief for what anyone is going through, or who is struggling with addiction. What we just need to know is that we are not alone. And if you are on your home your own healing journey, I hope you'll check out my new book, wake Up You're Not Broken, available now on Amazon. And remember, healing begins with one honest conversation and one courageous step and one decision to ask for help. So thank you so much for listening or watching Wake Up, and I'll see you next week with an all new episode.
Speaker 3: Thank you,