Speaker 1: A dream for many people today is finding a piece of land, often a beautiful, secluded place to call home, to get away from the ever growing, faster pace of the world. Each and every one of the people who share this dream have their own reasons for it, and the Weaver family was no different when they bought their twenty acre dream property. However, as time unfolded, this dream property would become a home of a nightmare shootout as a group of military men slowly infiltrated their lives and open fire. This is the story of Ruby Ridge.
Speaker 2: My name's Ben and I'm Nicole, and you're listening to Wicked and.
Speaker 1: Grim, a true crime podcast.
Speaker 2: The following.
Speaker 1: More mature audience listener discretion. The holiday season is over and it's officially twenty twenty four.
Speaker 2: That's wild, Oh happy New Year.
Speaker 1: I had to like force that out of Nicole. I was pointing at it for a minute. What's going on?
Speaker 2: I'm a little bit I have a little bit of a cold, and so I was just like not present. I had no idea what the freak was going on.
Speaker 1: Well, when someone says it's the new year, generally it's foiled up with a happy New Year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, generally, I suppose I.
Speaker 1: Was giving you that opportunity and you just like gave me a sar. You guys won't know the awkwardness that happened because it was so awkward and blank that I'm going to be editing it. But it was just silence for like thirty seconds. Is Nicole stared at me and I silently tried to give her hints to say happy new.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, Okay, I should be in bed. It should be clearly bear with me, please, I.
Speaker 1: Should be in bed too. I've been just working my ass off today non stop.
Speaker 2: You have.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you've done good, But that's besides the point. You guys don't want to hear stories of working her butts off.
Speaker 2: That's no fun.
Speaker 1: No, you want to hear stories of true crime and stories of people being assholes to people, I guess.
Speaker 2: Because other people, because they suck to humanity.
Speaker 1: To humanity. Yeah, and some people are getting a little extra of those stories. Are our patrons so over on Patreon this week we had Julianne I'm sorry, Julian Santos and Michelle Smith both sign up. They're getting extra episodes behind the scenes, all that good stuff over around Patreon. Do you want to sign up? Link is down below. If you don't, Hey, that's totally cool. You're here. That's awesome.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, thank you so much. And do you want to just drop what episode we just dropped for our patrons?
Speaker 1: I certainly can. It was the murder of Kimberly Kates.
Speaker 2: It's really disturbing.
Speaker 1: It's a doozy. That one's a doozy. Yeah, to be fair, Today's episode here that you're about to listen to as a doozy too, but just in a whole other sense. That one was just murderous and what the fuck? Yeah, and this one's more like conspiracy sort of situation. Okay, but it's still trust me, this is a wild ride this one today too. But before we get into that, we still have a bunch of other stuff that we got to talk about, particularly some of the stuff going on over in our YouTube because Wicked and Grim will soon be in video form over on our YouTube channel, so you will be able to not only listen to our podcast every Tuesday, but in the days following it, we will then upload a video form of it so you can watch us behind the scenes in our tiny home do it as well.
Speaker 2: Our reactions to what is going on, Yeah, which is kind of cool but also kind of sad because, to be honest, half the time when we're recording, I literally look like I am a homeless person, so do I So I feel like I have to at least like put a bra on and stuff.
Speaker 1: Nah, you're good, They're good. I don't think people care what we look like. They just want to, you know, enjoy the part of being there because I know, if I'm being honest, I think part of our podcast is like, we like you guys to feel like you're sitting here having a drink, talking or chatting with us. Yeah, So if we put it in video form I think it's going to add to that experience even more.
Speaker 2: Well, I didn't say I was gonna get all dulled up. I was just gonna put up brall on.
Speaker 1: So, you know, isn't that getting dulled up. We also had some pretty cool stuff going over on YouTube. In preparation for starting to post, we did a vlogness, which we mentioned a little bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we I think we ended up getting fourteen or so videos we wanted to get like the whole month, But I mean it was still a win because We went fourteen more videos than we usually do in a.
Speaker 1: Month exactly, so that's a win. Yeah, it was fun. You should go check those videos out.
Speaker 2: It was fun.
Speaker 1: All you have to do is look up a Wicked Life. That's where we'll be uploading everything. If you don't want to look it up, hey, link is in the description of this podcast right here.
Speaker 2: There you go.
Speaker 1: With all of that being said, are you ready? I'm ready for the Ruby Ridge Incident?
Speaker 2: I think so.
Speaker 1: I don't think you are.
Speaker 2: That was a song. I resisted every urge to start.
Speaker 1: Singing, what What's what?
Speaker 2: I don't think you're ready for this?
Speaker 1: Oh God, I don't think you're ready. Fold this My body too delicious, your babe? Was that the song you're talking about? Yeah, I don't think you are ready for this. But I will forewarn everyone. This is a two parter. So this is the first part to the Ruby Ridge Incident because there is a whole slew if honestly, if we did like a serious deep dive on this, we could probably have like a five six seven part serials. It is a massive thing, really, because there's allegations left, right and center. He said, she said this isn't true, but this is like, it's wow, it is a wild rabbit hole. A lot of it is like circumstantial or it's allegations and there's no real evidence for it. So it's just, yeah, I'm trying to stick to all the facts on this one. There are some situations where we have to go with like the allegation stuff for what certain people claimed how it happened, because we just have no other way to go, so we just kind of go with the most accepted route of that story. Yeah, that's fair, but we are sticking with as much of the facts as we can in this. So with all of that, you ready for it, I'm ready, Okay, Well, let's start the Ruby Ridge incident.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 1: Ruby Ridge is a place that is situated in the south southernmost section of a group of ridges extending east of the Bottleneck Slash Roman Nose Mountain Range towards the Cootney River. Caribou Ridge lies to the north, with the Ruby Creek draining the area between them. Now, the term Ruby Ridge was coined by the press to describe the events that transpired on the property situated on Caribou Ridge in the Boundary County of Idaho. This location is approximately thirty minutes, sorry, thirty miles south of the Canadian border of British Columbia.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm not gonna lie, but I thought Ruby Ridge was a person.
Speaker 1: Noe, Ruby Ridge is a location. Okay, yeah, most certainly a location. Now, this story encompasses an individual by the name of Randy Weaver. Now. Randy was born in Velliska, Ohio in nineteen forty eight, and he had a unique life journey. After graduating high school in nineteen sixty six, he initially enrolled in community college and met his future wife, Vicki Jordison, despite successfully completing a Green Beret training, which is a division of a particular badass special forces in the United States Military in preparation for deployment in Vietnam. So, like, just to clarify, Green Berets are like some of the most badass special forces like in the world. Like they are badass. Like that's all I can say to describe them, because they're fucking badass. Like these are the kind of guys that like sneak up on dudes in the middle of the night and like slice them open and keep going on with like not even the thought, like the mission.
Speaker 2: So really like laser focus.
Speaker 1: Like their machines. So he successfully completed that Green Beret training and Randy was stationed in Fort Bragg, North Carolina, and was discharged in nineteen seventy one without ever seeing combat. Okay, yeah, Now, in that same year as his discharge, Randy married the love of his life, Vicki, and the couple settled in Cedar Falls, Iowa. Due to financial constraints, Randy dropped out of Northern Iowa University and the couple worked various odd jobs to make ends meet, which I think is rather relatable, especially in today's society and all the increase in prices this past year or two.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the cost of living is outrageous.
Speaker 1: It's wild. Now. Throughout their life, Randy and Vicki Weaver maintained a close relationship with their spiritual beliefs, referring to God as yahweah or yawe. I'm not sure how you pronounce that exactly. I'm assuming maybe yahwe but either way, and studying the Bible nightly. In the nineteen seventies, influenced by the Arab Israeli War, they were beginning to become convinced that a biblical doomsday and prophecies were unfolding, and soon the end of the world would be coming.
Speaker 2: Oh that's like terrifying, though.
Speaker 1: Can you imagine actually thinking, for one reason or another, whether it's religious beliefs or just personal beliefs, that the end of the world is legitimately coming.
Speaker 2: That you've convinced yourself that. I mean, I feel like there's enough stresses in the world.
Speaker 1: I would rather live in ignorance where I don't see it coming, and.
Speaker 2: It's just like over I agree.
Speaker 1: Actually, at least that way I can just I don't know, as the saying goes, ignorance is bliss right, So yeah, now, Vicki actually even shared a reoccurring dream with Randy, one where she had been envisioning a mountaintop retreat where their family would be safe and the impending evil of the apocalypse. Now. This dream and belief led the Weavers to plan for their future, with Randy acquiring weapons they deemed necessary for family protection during the apocalypse or armageddon. Right in nineteen eighty two, the Weavers welcomed their third child, Rachel, and the following year they sold their possessions and home and began seeking guidance from the Amish community on living without electricity. They then purchased twenty acres of land on the now known Ruby Ridge area of northern Idaho and built a rudimentary cabin without electricity or running water. Here they began their life in the wilds of the mountain, and Vicki homeschooled their children, a practice that was actually a violation of law in Idaho.
Speaker 2: Oh really, Okay.
Speaker 1: So that they're like going full out into the wild on top of this like mountainous ridge and just they're doing it, huh.
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah, the thought of living without like electricity and water. I mean I get electricity in a sense, but water, like, gosh, that seems so difficult.
Speaker 1: That's a life necessity. You need that. Yeah, without water, you're dead.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean I can last probably twice as long without or sorry without electricity than water. If I'm dead within ten days with electricity, it's gonna be twenty days without internet before I die.
Speaker 2: Oh so you're sure about that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe eighteen sixteen somewhere in there. I need the Internet. I love me some memes, you sure do. Plus, how would we upload a podcast?
Speaker 2: I know that's true.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Now, over time, the Weavers integrated themselves into the local community as well, it's in the surrounding area, even taking in a troubled teenager into their home by the name of Kevin Harris.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's nice.
Speaker 1: Life in their home was mostly smooth for the Weavers, but perfection took a hit in nineteen eighty four when Randy Weaver and his neighbor Terry Kinnison found themselves in a dispute over three thousand, eight three thousand dollars land deal. Now, after losing the subsequent lawsuit, Terry was ordered to pay the Weavers an additional twenty one hundred dollars in court costs and damages, which of course soured the relationship at least even further.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I guess, especially back then, that's a big chunk of money.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, this is eighty four. Yeah, so we're talking. He owed them a total of five thousand, one hundred dollars. Okay, I imagine that's probably somewhere in the vicinity of twenty to thirty grand or something like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that that's significant for sure. Now, in the aftermath of this math of this dispute, Terry allegedly took revenge on writing letters to the FBC or the FBI, the Secret Service, and the county sheriff accusing Randy Weaver of threatening to kill Pope John Paul the Second, oh President Ronald Reagan, and Idaho Governor John V.
Speaker 2: Evans seriously just making up this shit allegedly, Okay, okay, allegedly, but still that's some that's some allegations right there.
Speaker 1: Definitely, and these are serious allegations that would prompt some serious response.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, very much.
Speaker 1: So. Now this led to an investigation launched by the FBI and the Secret Service in January of nineteen eighty five into the claims of threats against these officials. So I'm going to go on the record here of my own opinion saying that the FBI and Secret Service are launching an investigation into the claims of these threats. Clearly, these claims and threats existed, Yeah, for one reason or another, however, they existed. These claims that he was threatening these individuals are real.
Speaker 2: But I mean, gosh, I mean, it's not really something they can let go, I suppose. But then also that's kind of scary that someone can just I don't know, slander you like that kind of you know.
Speaker 1: Well, slander only goes so far too right. And I mean we see that today on the internet cancel culture and stuff like that. There's people out there who like try to cancel in individuals who it's like they didn't actually do anything. You need some fucking evidence to do some shit, totally. It's a matter of if you jump on the bandwagon and make the assumptions, you need the facts. And that's what the FBI and Secret Services were doing. They were looking in to see if there was some facts to back it up.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Now, on February twelfth that same year, Randy and his wife underwent interviews with two FBI agents, two Secret Service agents, and a Boundary County sheriff and his chief investigator. The Secret Service had been informed that Randy was also associated with Aryan Nations, which was a white supremacist terrorist organization and had substantial weapons cached at a residents and or property. Randy denied these allegations and no charges were filed by the government. Now, while the investigation was going on, it was revealed that the Weavers had in fact actually attended the Aryan Nations meeting at Hate Lake. Randy clarified this though he clarified that he and his associate, Frank Kumnik, were not members, but acknowledged that Frank had an affiliation with other reported similar groups like the Covenant, the Sword and the Arm and the Lord. So he's associated with these groups by proxy sort of thing, not actually being within them, okay, but he did in fact attend meetings, so he's got some friends and associates within these groups. So, in a proactive move, the Weavers actually filed a legal affid David with the County Courtroom on February twenty eighth, alleging that their personal enemies were plotting to incite the FBI into attacking and killing their family. Basically, what that means is they went to the court and filed a legal document with these statements saying that these people have the these people trying to do this thing.
Speaker 2: Okay, so it's kind of on record, it's.
Speaker 1: Recorded, documented, can be used in court evidence if something occurs. It's a legal thing that is filed away. So right now, I mean, I have to have reason who I can't just randomly do it. But right now, if I go to the court and say my wife is trying to kill me, I think she's trying to do this this, And then a week or a month later, I die mysteriously and they think it's you. They can use that. It's evidence against you in court.
Speaker 2: Okay, I mean that's good that they did this.
Speaker 1: Then, oh definitely yeah. Now, later on May sixth, the Weavers also sent a letter a letter to President Reagan suggesting that their adversaries might have sent him a threatening letter under a forged signature, although no evidence of such a letter ever emerged. Now to worse than the view of the Weavers on the public and the government view. In the late nineteen eighties, media coverage began highlighting militia groups in the Northwest. The stories often featured footage of families and camouflage engaging in military style drills with weapons, and the media portrayed these groups as radical right wing extremists seeking to overthrow the government, eliciting fear and anger from the public and prompting calls for congressional action. Now, whether or not true, whether anyone believed it or not, it certainly would have planted a bit of a seed in the mind of some and could have played a small part in things to come.
Speaker 2: H Okay, this I think you said mentioned this case is quite different. It makes you really they have to use your nogain.
Speaker 1: It's the rabbit holes after rabbit after rabbit holes on this and you can go for days on it. It's a major sort of conspiracy type thing with a lot that's going on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, my gears are turning. Just listen in here.
Speaker 1: So where is your head right now in this?
Speaker 2: Oh gosh, I don't even know if you can ask me that.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, fair enough, fair enough, I mean, well, we'll keep going.
Speaker 2: Just yeah, I think we need I need to hear a bit more once.
Speaker 1: We're at the end of this episode. Then maybe we'll kind of talk on our thoughts and positions and see where we are. So the next up, the involvement of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms also known and how it referred to him from here on out ATF marked a crucial phase in this narrative. So the FBI and the ATF initiated operations to infiltrate militia groups, assess potential threats, and apprehend individuals engaged in illegal activities. So groups such as what Randy had mentioned earlier, groups that he had ties to groups that they suspected him to be involved in. Right now, Agent Herb Burley, I think that is how you say his name. Agent Herb Burley, operating as underco as Keith Fadely, established contact with Randy Weaver and cultivated a friendship under his new guys. Now, despite Randy not being a member of the targeted groups, the agent singled him out due to his respected the respect he commanded within his lifestyle and his connections. So over time, Randy actually developed trust with his undercover we'll call him Kenneth, viewing him as a friend and someone he could actually trust, to say the least. The agent was certainly doing his job well and seeing the opportunity, he finally asked if Randy could sell him some shotguns with illegal modifications. He wanted two sought off shotguns to be specific.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: Yes, So this is all he's baiting them as.
Speaker 2: What he's doing. It's kind of sad really, because here he thinks he's a new little bestie and really it's not at all.
Speaker 1: I think I don't. I think it's bullshit. How authorities can do that, can bake you into that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because they have a relationship, and like, I mean, the friend is probably being like telling him why he needs these or why he feels he needs these, and he's gonna want to help his friend. That's what you do, you help your friends out.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So I think there's a moral thing going on here, and I don't know, I just don't think it's fair that authorities do that. And I'm going to read a little bit more here before I really delve into why I think that. But anyways, Randy initially resisted and didn't want to sell anything like that to him.
Speaker 2: Huh.
Speaker 1: However, Randy eventually succumbed to the persistent requests from his friend, who claimed to be in dire need of money, and subsequently he sold him the two sought off shotguns.
Speaker 2: Shit.
Speaker 1: So Randy didn't want to sell them to.
Speaker 2: No, he didn't at all.
Speaker 1: He needed money, Yeah, his friend needed money. And I'm not too sure exactly what the situation he's saying is going to do. Maybe rob a bank, I don't know. But Randy went has these two very legal shotguns and sawed them off because his friend wanted him that way, and then sold them to him.
Speaker 2: Yikes. So I think that's almost just setting someone.
Speaker 1: Off that is. I think that's baiting totally. I think an individual who's undercovered like that could be a part of something. Maybe he's trying to get this guy for selling illegal guns. If he can get him to legitimately sell a legal firearm to someone else and be there for it or have evidence of it, I totally think that's fine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I mean he had to like be very persuasive.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe Randy would never have sold any illegal firearms if it wasn't for the officer in the first place. Yeah, we don't know. Maybe the officer is what enlisted him to do an illegal activity in the first place, and he never had otherwise. We don't know that.
Speaker 2: Oh Jesus, which love that at all.
Speaker 1: I think is greasy. I think it's baiting, and I think should be illegal.
Speaker 2: Uh huh, I agree.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Anyways, as a result, criminal charges were filed against Randy Weaver eight months after the gun transaction in October of nineteen eighty nine. However, Randy was presented with a deal if he became an informant and assisted in infiltrating these groups, the charges would be dropped.
Speaker 2: Oh gosh, you almost wonder if that was just their plan altogether.
Speaker 1: Then, Oh, I guarantee it was. They're essentially blackmail. Yeah, that's what they're doing.
Speaker 2: Okay, this just seems so dirty.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Now, despite facing the prospect of imprisonment, Randy refused to betray someone that he considered a friend and flat out declined the offer.
Speaker 2: Huh that's uh, that's interesting.
Speaker 1: Hey, to me, that shows Randy has better morals than the FBI.
Speaker 2: No kidding, It really shows as true colors and this character.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Now, I'm not saying that Randy's a perfect individual, don't get me wrong. I mean, he has affiliates with anti Semitic groups. It's questionable at best, But at least he's willing to stick up for a friend.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he totally is.
Speaker 1: Even went his own necks on the.
Speaker 2: Line, and even when he was portrayed by a so called friend. Right.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Now, six months pass before a warrant was issued for Randy's arrest on the gun charges, but federal agents hesitated to apprehend him at his home, deeming he was too risky due to the families perceived readiness to resist. And I mean he had firearms apparently, as far as the FBI knew, on his property. Because he's selling legal firearms and saw off shotguns. Remember right now, I mean to be fair, he does have firearms at his property.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but that doesn't mean that he's going to just like start shooting people.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, they instead began to try and get creative as means to once again ensnare Randy. So what they did they had agents pose as stranded motorists and when they set up a bait on the side of the road where Randy would be driving by, they had him stop and try and assist them because they're stranded motorists, right, they're stranded, their vehicles broke down sort of thing. When he stopped, they arrested them.
Speaker 2: That seems so bizarre. I don't know, this just seems so weirdless that one.
Speaker 1: To me doesn't seem like entrapment, because it's it's like, hey, you're wanted. This is just a means to get you. Yeah, I have no problem with that one person.
Speaker 2: Well, no, I don't necessarily a problem with it, but it just seems like it's so weird like that they're just like it's like they're afraid of him, you know.
Speaker 1: Oh, they definitely are. They're afraid of what could happen. I'm sure, not only because of what he could do, but they he's got kids and stuff too, right at his home. So I mean, if they're going to open fire, he opened fire. Maybe he's one as a hostage, or who knows what happens, maybe they mistake him for one of his kids and shoot a kid. Like there could be innocent lives that play here. Yeah, so I can totally understand that. So Randy went and appeared before a judge who found probable cause for a trial and released him on a few conditions you know, parole right, including returning to court for the trial. However, the judge misled Randy by threatening false claims that he would have to surrender his home, land en truck if he was convicted in court. So it's like, yeah, you got to come back for your trial, and just so you know, if you're convicted, you're losing your property, everything's gone.
Speaker 2: So then his family is just like fuck fucked.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The trial was initially set for February nineteenth, on nineteen ninety one, but Randy's parole officer mistakenly told him the trial instead was scheduled for March twentieth of nineteen ninety one. As a result, Randy Weaver failed to appear on the appointed court date, marking him as a fugitive in the eye of the United States Marshall Service or USMS, who was now responsible for arresting in him in now Yes, he's a fugitive who did not show up for his court date when he was told otherwise.
Speaker 2: Does I feel like this guy has like the worst of luck?
Speaker 1: Oh? Yeah, I think so too, definitely. So, I mean that's kind of the situation he's in, unfortunately, but he's.
Speaker 2: To live his life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's just like, I'm going to buy twenty acres in the middle of nowhere and just do my own business and then people are like, we're your business now, bitch, like just sticking their nose in that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no kidding.
Speaker 1: So, despite being considered a fugitive, Randy now remain hold up in his remote home, adamantly declaring his intent to resist any attempt for them to apprehend him or remove him. Forcibly, see, Randy was known for his intense distrust in the government, and I'm sure we can understand why, especially at this point, and the suspicions were compounding over time. This may have played a role in his reluctance to appear for another trial as he grew increasingly suspicious of the government and his lawyer and any other law enforcement that was involved in this whatsoever. He's basically thinking that they're trying to conspire against him, which I mean, he has every right to think. So he was set up by them originally. He was then blackmailed by them and turned them down. Then he went to court and was threatened by the judge, and then also his court date was told to him wrong, and then he was a fugitive because he didn't show up to the court date that he was told was a different date. Yeah, sounds like a conspiracy to me. Yeah, And it's really easy to look at that and think it's a conspiracy.
Speaker 2: You would really be questioning a lot of things, like I don't blame that.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So he was convinced that attending the trial would guarantee him we're not sorry, guarantee fair judgment. Specifically, he was now under the impression for the judge like, hey, losing his property, his wife can be homeless, kids might be taken away, whatever. And despite eighteen months passing with Randy still sitting in his home without government intervention. The ATF had initiated surveillance shortly after his court missed date. So what this meant They had employed video cameras, aerial photography, and even sophisticated audio system throughout Weaver's property, including speakers under his kitchen floor, to spy on him at all times and whenever they wanted. How how what do you mean? Hell?
Speaker 2: How do they do this?
Speaker 1: It's the government? Okay, I'm pretty sure they got bugs in everything right now. They track us in our phones and stuff at all times. You can't tell me that we're not tracked on our phones. Google tracks us. How can the government not be? If they want to know where we are, they can pay us in an instant. Cool, Sorry, I told you this whole conspiracy stuff here. No shit, I'm not sitting here saying that the FBI is watching us every second of the day. But if they want to know where we are and what they're doing, I guarantee they can fucking know. Probably yep, Alexa will spill her guts and heartbeats.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, I know. Hey.
Speaker 1: So that's basically what they had. They had, like cameras, audio equipment, all this surveilling his property available to them whenever they needed. The marshals contemplated and discarded several plans to try and arrest Randy Weaver. They have all this equipment watching them, listening, and they're trying to use it to their advantage to figure out how they can get them. Now, a lot of their ideas range from cutting the water line that they had because hey, as we already talked, yeah, water's pretty important, right.
Speaker 2: Is this legal? May I just ask? Or doesn't matter? It's the government.
Speaker 1: It doesn't matter, it's the government. But also that's a lot of the reasons why they're not doing some of these things. One of the reasons that they one of the things they wanted to do they wanted to capture his daughter, Sarah. Yeah, so listen to this, Sarah, the eldest daughter. Their plan was during her menstrual cycle because they had a designated quote birthing shed. Now, this is a whole other thing. I'm not going to get too into it, but this is where one of the family members who when they were experiencing their period, would go to the shed during the course of the period. Basically because of extreme beliefs. It wasn't meant as a form of punishment as far as I can read, it was more just for isolation purposes. But that's besides the point. Let's just leave it at that. When they had their period the time of the month, they would go in this shed for the duration, then come back in the house afterwards. So when she was on her when she was menstruating, they're like, she's going to be in the shed, and the objective is to apprehend one of the children. When they were bringing Sarah some food, compelling Randy to finally surrender, right, This was the grand plan. However, they don't have an arrest warrant for Sarah. That's just straight up kidnapping, no kidding, which is yea, that crime is harsher than selling an illegal firearm. No kidding, you're kidnapping a human.
Speaker 2: A kid, Yeah, away from the family.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So I think it's pretty clear why they didn't go through with that plan. But eventually the ATF formulated a reconnaissance mission plan with agents dressing in full combat gear to close in on the Weaver's property. Now, I feel it's important to mention that all the authorities were aware of something here. The marshals observed that Randy and his family responded to vehicles and other visitors by taking up armed positions with guns around the cabin until the visitors were recognized and the situation was deemed safe.
Speaker 2: Okay, I mean, for some reason, when you just announced that, I visualized us doing something like that, which is really wow. I don't know, because we will think that people are just crazy from doing this podcast. Right, So I'm oh, someone's coming down the driveway, get my gun. Well, I mean I've always been one of those people. Though. If I don't know if someone's coming, they knock on the door, I don't open the fucking door.
Speaker 1: There's no way I can respect that. Though. There's a lot of messed up shit going on in this world, and if someone figures out that you're home alone or a situation like that, you can get taken advantage of a heartbeat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean people lots of times like there's people that pose to the other individuals. He's even like law enforcement, right, and yeah, so it's just scary. Yeah, but that is next level.
Speaker 1: It definitely is. But and the authorities were aware of this, Okay, they witnessed it firsthand. I'm sure that this happened to them as they're coming up to the property to discuss things, because I guarantee like this, there was certain situations where they're coming up and they're talking verbally like they're trying to work things out. I guarantee it. Time and time again. They're like, hey, you what you have a warned out your free rest? Can you come with us? It's like, no, I'm not fucking leaving the cabin right, Okay, we're gonna go. You've got to come in. No, I'm not leaving. So and then they're trying to figure out ways still talking to them. I mean, like a lot of times going by. Yeah, there's certainly going to be conversations one way or another.
Speaker 2: You have to wonder how many guests they ended up having over friends and stuff, you know. Jeez, Yeah, I don't think I would ever go visit the Weavers, no kidding.
Speaker 1: So anyways, they knew that they acted this way. They knew the Weavers were armed and they were willing to defend themselves. This was not new information. Now. In August twenty first, nineteen ninety two, six marshals were sent to scout the area to determine suitable places away from the cabin to try and apprehend and arrest Randy. The marshals were dressed in full military camouflage gilly suits. Do you know what gilly suit is? I do, actually, Okay, So if anyone out there doesn't know what a gilly suit is, it's when those guys addressed head to toe in like that Chewbacca looking like forest gear. They look like they're a bush just sitting there. That's what they were wearing, these full gilly suits. They were equipped with night vision goggles and M sixteen rifles, full fledged military gear.
Speaker 2: They meant business.
Speaker 1: They meant business. They were prepped. Now, at one point, one of the marshals, as they were encroaching in the cabin, threw two rocks at the cabin to test the dog's the family dog's reaction. Now, the action actually provoked the dog. It also got Kevin Harris and the fourteen year old son, Samuel or Sammy to emerge and follow the dog, whose name was Striker. Now the dog was Striker and was a yellow Labrador retriever. So they followed the dog to investigate what's going on. Now, each boy had a rifle in hand, and they were hoping that the dog had noticed a game animal outside and that they intended to do a bit of hunting. This is a you know, rural area with living off the land type family and property. I'm pretty sure that's what they do, is they hunt for a lot of food. Right, So that's what they're doing, going outside, gonna do a bit of hunting. However, what waited outside their home was not an animal, and the ensuing moments all hell would break loose and that's where we're ending today's episode.
Speaker 2: Ye're serious, I'm serious? Okay, who the fuck was going outside? Two kids? Right?
Speaker 1: Yes? So the one the one troubled kid who was taken in by the family. Okay, so Kevin Harris was that one? And the fourteen year old son Sammy aka or sorry Samuel aka Sammy and their dog and their dog, Striker, who is a yellow Labrador retriever.
Speaker 2: Huh Okay, I cannot envision this ending.
Speaker 1: Well, no, how do you think it's gonna add? What's your whole thought process on this so far?
Speaker 2: Well? One question I have is like, was were these I don't know what we're calling it, but these people in gilly suits were at that moment? Were they were they just testing or were they literally ready to go, like they were ready to go.
Speaker 1: Oh, they're ready to go. They're ready to go if they need to.
Speaker 2: Were they intending at that moment not really to go to be arresting Randy though.
Speaker 1: No, the entire purpose of this was it was a reconnaissance.
Speaker 2: Mission, Okay, because I'm just curious if they thought that through with the whole rock thing and stuff like this. I don't know this, I just can't. This isn't good.
Speaker 1: No, So, the entire idea is they're surveilling the property, both with video audio and aerial photography and stuff. Right now, they're putting guys in the ground, They're going around the property. They're surveilling, trying to get information on not only the property, but the cabin itself, the family itself. What they're they're doing, they're trying to get anything they can to say, Hey, here's an opportunity for us to actually arrest this guy. So while they're on the property, one of the reconnaissance thing that this guy's doing is like, hey, what's the dog's reactions.
Speaker 2: Let's see, Well, I think that the dog is easily going to be able to sniff them out. And then these kids who are seemingly living a pretty sheltered life really, and have you know they're the way of their dad kind of ingrained grained on them. It's so shit like eh.
Speaker 1: Well, as I said, all hell does break loose, and yeah, this is kind of a recipe for disaster in this moment, especially with all the things that have built up to this, because I'm pretty sure, like you said, their dad's wig is ingrained in them. Not only is their dad's way ingrained in them, but they're witnessing first hand these military men probably as far as they're absuming, harassing their family, harassing their dad. Like I said, I guarantee these guys are driving up to the front door at least have conversations, right.
Speaker 2: And now they're there. Yeah, I mean anyone would be really alarmed over that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, or even put it this way, take that all out of perspective, put yourself in the shoes of these kids. You know nothing of the military, You know nothing of your dad's perspective of life, you know nothing, Nothing on him is ingrained in you. It's just you on your property outside to go, I don't know, shoot a rabbit for dinner with your dog, and you see military men crawling through the bush on your property. How do you think that's going to go?
Speaker 2: Well, I know, and you're not even certain that it could be military.
Speaker 1: You don't, You don't know. You just see camouflage, dudes, rifles crawling through your property.
Speaker 2: Oh gosh, I don't even know what I would do, but I mean, yeah.
Speaker 1: But as of this point, though these kids do not see them, the dog does not see them. They however, do see these kids and the dog, and they are very well aware. And you will cover the rest of what happens in the next episode in part two next time. So Nichole is in shock and I here, I know.
Speaker 2: Sorry, I am my brain. Like I said, it's it's going a mile a minute right now. This is a very fact that I have to wait a week is such a piss off.
Speaker 1: R Yeah, sorry, I'm sorry. That's how it goes sometimes.
Speaker 2: It's the name of the game.
Speaker 1: It is the name of the game. Sorry for making you guys wait a week if you are one of those people, because I know some of you out there actually wait a week to listen to this episode, so you can listen to both episodes back to back. You're not waiting a week. The episode's already out and you're listening to it in about thirty seconds time. If you are waiting a week, I'm sorry, but trust me, it's worth the wait. Thank you for being here. If you want to check out any of our links below, like our YouTube where you will be able to soon watch Wicked and Grim actually on video behind the scenes link is for our YouTube down below. We do some blog stuff there as well. We have Facebook, we have Instagram, we have our Patreon. You can sign up get x your content there too. If you want to just stay here and chill with us, we're happy with that as well.
Speaker 2: The YouTube thing is going to be cool because I mean, what you'll know if I'm quiet, it's because my jaw is literally on the ground.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Seeing the reactions is something else.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: You will see Nicole either her mouth is wide open because she's just like in shock and awe, or her hand is covering her mouth and usually I am doing frantic hand motions.
Speaker 2: And jes you are actually yes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Okay, Well, thank you guys so much for being here, and until next
Speaker 2: Time, stay Wicked,