Speaker 1: It's time for Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety. Holy crap, I don't know who the hell we think we are. Get off our show, idiot. The kids are crying or trail off. The countries are screwing it up. Gold Play Inner Murals, Brother, gold Play Inn Murals.
Speaker 2: They're supposed to be mature adults, but they're really not.
Speaker 1: Who's the kid here?
Speaker 2: Who's the kid here?
Speaker 1: Are you kidding me?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: Here's Nick Coffee.
Speaker 2: All right, ladies and gentlemen, welcome in. Let's do this. Let's get it started at his Coffee and Company, and we are fueled by Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety, taking you up until six o'clock. That's what we do. I say wee because it's not just me. I'm not alone. My name is Nick Coffee. I hope you knew that. Now you do If you did not, the company man, mister John Alden is alongside today and again we're with you for the next three hours. So just know that whatever it is you got going on, you can take us with you. Listen live on the iHeart Radio app Listen live at seven ninety Louisville dot com. There'll be plenty of ways for you guys to be a part of the show today as well. You can give us a call once we open up the phone lines. We usually do that once the first segment comes to an end, So around twenty minutes from now, if you're itching to hit actually, let me ask you this question, John, I got a question for you to start the show. Tell Okay, when people dial numbers, do they still need to enter the area code like you do? Right?
Speaker 1: I think if you're outside the region, you have to. I feel like that's how it's always worked.
Speaker 2: I can't tell you the last time that I placed a phone call that I did not put area code first, But I don't know if I need to. Right. So, I'm in Louisville. I'm in the five to oh two area code district region whatever I mean, it's the area code. But like you know, you go certain certain amount of ways up north, you hit eight one two, you go certain amount of ways down south, you end up and I guess that would be two seven oh East of US would be eight five nine far east of US would be six oh six.
Speaker 1: Look at you knowing your area code?
Speaker 2: Trivia and I guess I'm gonna guess far west of US would still hit with two seven oh. Now, what I don't know is when you get up to northern Kentucky and you're close to Cincinnati. I know there's a lot of eight five nine's in Cincinnati. What I don't know is if you have like you know, if you're you know, is Cincinnati five one three? Is that? Is that? Is that right? That I guess that you think it is? Got? Yeah, I mean, look at me so as someone who's had who I guess it makes sense, right, I'm telling you that the last time. I mean, if I if I see a number I need to call, and I guess more often than not, put it this way. Like, let's say you are a caller and you wanted to call into the show, and you know that you were in the same area code that we are. If you just put in five oh two, five seven or yea, I'm sorry, if you don't put in five oh two and you just put in five seven one seventy nine hundred, will that work? It should? Right?
Speaker 1: I think it would because here here's the way I think about it. Whenever I was a youngin and my family had a landline. Still, if you dialed the I guess the second set of digits and then the third set of digits without putting in the area code, it would automatically call somebody else with that number in the same area code. So it might be ye, that makes sense.
Speaker 2: Cell phones, I never, you know, like if I was calling uh. I mean, I remember calling my wife's home line when we were dating in middle school, which I still feel weird saying we dated in middle school. We were, you know, thirteen out of think we weren't dating. We were you know, we call ourselves boyfriend and girlfriend, and most of our communication was done on AOL instead Messenger. But if I called her house, which by the way, I remember this I just now thought of it, hadn't thought of it in twenty years. Probably the Pizza Hut in our area where we grew up one letter different than her phone number, so she had a lot of calls, a lot of calls that were to Pizza Hut and at least intending to call Pizza Hut, but they ended up getting her home residents. Also another random thing about her home phone number her My wife's maiden name is Hall, a fairly common maiden name, I would say, Hall's a pretty fair I mean, I feel like that's a very common last name, to be honest with you. So her last name was Hall before she became a coffee and I won't mention her her dad's name because he may not want me saying that. But her dad had the same name as the high school football coach where we went to school. So back in the day, you know, cell phones weren't cell phones weren't that big of a thing, so you'd used to mean, I feel old saying this. But back in the day, like if you wanted to find out a friend's phone number to call, like during summer break, you would have to know his parent's number, her parent's number, and look him up in the old Bullet County phone book. And then you know, if you saw an address that you knew was legit, you'd know that was the home phone number. So anyways, she had a lot of calls to her house that were for pizza Hut that you know they called they missed one number. And then there were also calls made to her home people trying to get hold of the local high school football coach who happened to have the same last name as her dad. So maybe that explains why a couple of times when I would call my my my girlfriend at the time, whenever we were, you know, twelve and thirteen, I would all her dad never answer the phone like he was in a good mood. And it may have been because he probably just assumed it was somebody calling one to order pizza or one to talk to the local high school football coach. But you know, did you ever go through that like when you were you know, when you had a girlfriend or a girl that you were you know, you were into when you were a kid and you talked on the phone, and like you always if you called, there'd always be a little bit of a fear of the parents answering and not them is Tiffany Holme.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's in middle school specifically, there was. So there was a point where using email was before texting. I guess if you read before smartphones and that type of thing, you would exchange emails and then schedule a phone phone call over email, And I did that a couple of times in middle school.
Speaker 2: So we never did the email growing up, like we had we had AOL and SE messenger, and that was how a lot of our communication took place. And I'm sure everyone thinks their era that they grew up in was the best, But I'm here to tell you the era that I grew up in was in fact the best, better than yours, because I had a little bit of both. When I was really young. As a young kid, I couldn't go fire up a tablet, I couldn't get on the internet. I had to go outside and play. And if I wanted to go, you know, hang out with a friend, I had to go walk to his house and knock on his door and see if he was home. And if I made the trip, you know, five streets over and he wasn't home. You know, that's just that you chalk it up to the game. That's part of it. He wasn't home, you got to go home. Now you'd have no way of knowing, right, you can't text, you're not emailing. But by the time I got to be like late, like seventh eighth grade, you know, the Internet was you know, AOL was a thing. So we would communicate on AOL and stea messenger. And by the time I got to high school, you know a lot of the communication as far as socializing, was done in person because not everybody had the Internet, especially in bull Account when the Internet was very young, so you'd have to call a home phone. But by the time I was a sophomore, which I think was around like two thousand and three, two thousand and four, the Internet had become a course much bigger. Cell phones became pretty common, not just for you know everybody, but like kids myself. I got my first cell phone was when I was a sophomore in high school, and I remember, you know, texting became a thing, and that really like made it to where that's how we all communicated was text messages. So you know, when I was really young, I couldn't rely on the Internet, and the tablet and the video games we had were nothing like what you have now. But I also got to experience the benefit of technology whenever I was, you know, in high school, Like if I ever wanted to go out with a girl or you know, flirt with a girl, I didn't have to walk up to her during during you know, in between second and third period and think of some like you know, clever pickup line or some corny joke. I would just get her insta her or not Instagram. That wouldn't around then but I'd get her AOL instant messenger, or I would find somebody who knew her, and like, you know, you could kind of plant the seed that way, and you could kind of communicate to where it's not it's not as intimidating. It was intimidating calling the home phone when like the dad or mom's picking up and they know that it's a boy who's you know, interested in their daughter. A lot of parents were super cool about it, but like there were some that I was like, oh, if he answers, I'm hanging up. Hope they don't. And then if you if you block the number, then they wouldn't answer anyway. Or if you block the number and they did answer, you know, they would say, why are you blocking your number? You know, so different times. I feel like you are also in the same way to where the internet was always a thing when you were growing up, right.
Speaker 1: Yes, even like when I was a child when dial up is was really a thing the beginning of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but like by the time you graduated high school a year was that twelve thirty sixteen?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, graduated in sixteen? Started in twelve.
Speaker 2: I thought you graduated college in sixteen.
Speaker 1: Graduated college and fall of nineteen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we can stop talking about that stuff now because that's yeah, I'd rather not real quick.
Speaker 1: Two people called in let us know that they it is possible to call this phone number without using the area.
Speaker 2: Code, but there's got to be some kind of a line.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm Surom, California. I should have asked the guy where he was calling from. His name was Roscoe.
Speaker 2: Roscoe called back, and just drive around and tell us when you hit a point where you got to enter the area code. It's for it's for research purposes of the show. It's for a greater good of coffee and company. And we really we we will we will will pay you, uh with with more shows and and that's how you'll be paid for your services. We really appreciate it. Roscoe. Roscoe is a hell of a name, by the way.
Speaker 1: It is a great name.
Speaker 2: There's a kid who is I think he's a year older than Moose and uh but now Moose just got when he turned four, he joined the four and five year old room at daycare. So now he's now he's up with some bigger kids. And there's a five year old named Roscoe. He's got long shaggy hair, he's he's he's the coolest kid. Moose loves him. And I'm like, you know what, I get it. This is Roscoe kid. He's a wild card. He's wild, he's got cool hair, and his name's Roscoe. If I told you, hey, let me introduce you to Roscoe. You're not thinking I'm about to tell you about a five year old, right, You're thinking of probably a you know, grown up an adult. But Rosco's still alive. I don't There can't be many people five years or younger named Roscoe, right, I.
Speaker 1: Would say that's probably a true fact.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So shout out to all the Roscoe's out there, and shout out to the Roscoe who uh who called in to let us know we appreciate you. All right. Anyways, that was a long winded, you know, distraction there from me, But sometimes that happens, you know, It's part of it. And we got a lot we're gonna get into today. I think we are nowhere. I am nowhere different now than I was yesterday in regards to the Amari Huggins Bruce rumors that are out there, but they're still out there. Like nobody said, Nope, not happening. But nobody's also said, here's the report, here's here's here's what's going on. And I'll admit, just because of how like wild college athletics is now compared to what it was years ago. The thought of a guy, you know, going to a new school, transferring and then coming back right before school starts out of nowhere because a guy got injured, like you know, years ago, that was unheard of, but now you know it is odd. But yet you think, okay, well here we are. It's a new world. College athletics is so much different, so I guess this really isn't that crazy. But just because of the climate and it being really just a complete you know, as they say, the wild wild West, I never even thought about it. John, the transfer portal's closed, he can't transfer, and I never once thought about that. And here there's a ton of people speculating on it. There appears to be you know, some some where the rumors are coming from. It's originating from a person that has had good information before. So you know, nobody said it's happened, and here we go, and nobody has said nope, that's all nonsense. It's just internet rumor. But at least, you know, because somebody did raise the question like, wait a second, you can't transfer the portal is closed. Well, I'm now to the point where I don't I shouldn't say I don't believe it. But the scenario as to how he would get here and be able to to enroll in school and join the football program, meaning Amari Huggins Bruce who did leave Louisville and it's still currently at South Carolina, someone has at least given me what's been said as far as how it could be possible. But the amount of thing like the just the loops or I guess the hoops as they say you'd have to jump through to make this happen make me think that, like, yeah, that's just that's not realistic. But then again, we're in a world right now with college athletics where like nothing is gonna surprise us, So we can dive back into that coming up here after our first commercial break. But also we now have the battle for Atlantis matchups. We're getting cards versus Hoosiers. I mean, we're not going to break down the game today, but I mean that's not exactly what I mean. I don't really know what I wanted, But I did want Louisville to get a good opponent in their first game, just to kind of see where they stand in Indiana on paper heading into this season. Should be a good opponent, maybe a very good opponent. It'll be a test, no doubt so. And I've always been someone that loves to see a challenging non conference schedule because I want to watch my team play games where I know when the clock hit zero and we fire up these microphones to do a postgame show. I learned something it doesn't have to be, you know, like one game doesn't tell the whole story of a team and how good they can be. Guy. Teams have games where they play above their mind. They have games where they play, you know, below what you know they are. But I I you know, there's gonna be something to take from these games in the Bahamas more so than when you play you know, butt crack State. So you know, give me more of these kind of games, less of the butt crack States. And I love it because again I'm I'm you know, when I can get if we can get through November and December and every now and you know, pretty frequently, you're you're getting a chance to see where you stand. I mean, that's that's the that's what you want. But then again, Louisville has a brand new team and a brand new coach to where I'm thinking, Okay, they got Tennessee in their second game, and then before too long they take off of the Battle for Atlantis, which again they're gonna play some good teams because they're either gonna play in their second game depending on what happens between Indiana and Louisville, and again, depending on what happens between Gonzaga and West Virginia, it's gonna be one of those two teams. So you're gonna play Indiana in West Virginia or Indiana and Gonzaga, and you know in two of your first what six seven games of the season, And that's I mean that if you get Indiana and Gonzaga, that would probably mean you beat Indiana. And I would imagine that Gonzaga is gonna beat West Virginia because they're preseason top five team. And again we're getting ahead of ourselves here as far as you know, if they win. But still, like you're talking about playing some of the best teams in the country in the first you know, two three weeks of the season, which, again, as a fan, I like it just to kind of see where you are. But then again, if you're Pat Kelsey, you're probably thinking, Okay, look, I might need a little bit. You might you might want to throw me some more butt crack States here to kind of ease in. I don't know why I'm going with butt Crag State.
Speaker 1: You may have created a Butthole Tech's rival with buck b.
Speaker 2: Old Tech in but correct, stay, Look you throw the records out the window when those two teams play each other, John, you have to, because it's it's a rivalry. A smelly during Yeah, a lot of houses divided with with those with the luma from from both sides. There. Yeah, there you go. Well said. So we'll talk a little more about that because we're getting closer to college football and that's on the horizon. I mean, in fact, we've said it's here. I mean, it's not here yet for the local teams just yet. But hey, we got football games, and I mean after today, we got two shows and then the next time we're on the airwaves, we're gonna be reacting to real college football games that took place. And that has me excited. But basketball season, you know, we all know it doesn't start that long after football. And it's a new era around here. Man. We got a brand new coach at Louisville, a brand new coach. I mean, everything's brand new for Louisville and Kentucky. And I mean everything new players, new coaching staff, new, I mean new culture, everything. And that's that's exciting. Although I'm a little jealous because there's these charity scrimmages, which we're gonna get into a little bit later on. I don't know how how Louisville and Kentucky don't get involved in this, because you know, both fan bases around here are feening for chances to watch their team play. Louisville was spoiled with that trip to the Bahamas, right, But you've got Duke in Arizona State playing each other, Memphis and Alabama, Creighton and Purdue just to name a few of the matchups. These are these charity scrimmages that don't count. You get you get to play not a real game against a real opponent, to really see where you stand, and they'll stream it and people who buy it. All the money that's raised goes to a charity so you know, I don't really see any downside to playing in these games. So, you know, Pat Kelsey, if you're listening, and I'm sure you're not, Mark Pope, I'm quite sure you're not listening, Like, why don't you give one of these games for charity and you know, give the fans what they want, a chance to you know, as many chances as possible to see these brand new teams. Also, sticking with college basketball, I talked about it this late last week and it hasn't haven't brought it up since. But the Candid Coaches series that CBS Sports does, I mean, I don't think you'll find a better group of guys who cover college basketball. And that's not to say that they're on it. Like, for example, I think the Field of sixty eight's got a great group of guys that are connected and put out really good college basketball content. I value their opinions on college hoops. But CBS Sports with Matt Norlander, Gary Parrish a blanking on another one. Who else is it? I feel like there's one more within the CBS basketball that I'm blanking on. Maybe it's Kyle Boone, but either way, parish In Orlander, those are two guys that if you know college basketball, you know who they are. They've got resources, connections, relationships with just about probably every college basketball coach around. In fact, Norlander, if you remember all the big, big breaking news that took place during the college basketball coaching search this time this past time around, I feel like Norlander broke almost all of it. So anyways, what they do is they talk to a bunch I mean one hundred different college basketball staffers. Some of them are probably the actual head coaches at these big time programs. Maybe it's a top assistant, maybe it's a lead recruiter, and they ask all of these coaches various different questions. You know, last week they talked about the best hire, right, Hey, who do you think had the best hire this time around? Who? Or what's the most amount of money that you have heard a player or his represent represent representation asked for when it comes to nil. And then also most recently, college coaches were asked by these guys at CBS, which program do you feel like has the best nil situation? Like when you are recruiting a player, and nowadays in recruiting, you know, money matters, nil matters in a major way. So when you're recruiting a player and you hear about you hear about this program or that program being involved as well. Which one makes your butt tighten up because you realize they got more money than you. A lot of butt stuff here early on on a Wednesday afternoon. But you know what, it wasn't plant as happens, right. I'm sure a lot of times when it comes to you know that stuff wasn't planned, wasn't talked about, but it just happens, if you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: And yes, once you talk a butt stuff, once you say it once, it's just kind of there in the back of your mind. It's hard to erase.
Speaker 2: It, just kind of there in the back. Huh. That's right, Yep, that's right. Butt stuff. We're anyways, we'll get to those three different questions that were asked to college basketball coaches because I think not only is it interesting to hear what they say, but all the local programs are are mentioned by at least a couple of coaches in just about all of these questions. So we will certainly get into that. And you know, I don't I don't really have a whole lot left to throw out there that I haven't already discussed when it comes to Week zero matchups, but I am, and maybe it's already happened and I just haven't seen it yet, but I am eager to see if Delaware State does bake it to Hawaii. Because they missed their flight yesterday, they probably are in the air right now, so therefore they're probably okay. But like that is, you know, like it sounded like they were back on track, and they added a day of planning in order for them to be able to make it to Hawaii. But nobody'd be shocked if you find out, Yeah, this game isn't going to play because of more travel issues. So for those who don't know the story, Delaware State collecting a check to go across the world, seemingly to Hawaii to get their butt kicked come back and you know, have some money that can keep the lights on within their program. Well, they missed their ten and a half hour flight yesterday at JFK to go to Hawaii, and they had another one rebooked. But let's like here, we are relying on airports to get it done, right, you rebooked a flight with you know, at least sixty to seventy people right, like, there's no way they're sending less than that because you got to have I mean, he sixty to seventy would just be the players. I would assume not to mention the staff and that kind of stuff. So we can get into that, have some fun and take you up until six o'clock. Don't want to act as if this is going to be a big part of the show, but I do have it listed here, and yes, I do prepare for the show. You might not be able to tell at times, but I do prepare. Two of the best quarterbacks of all time, at least in my opinion. I would imagine thisinion it's not just mine, but Tom Brady and Peyton Manning. For a while, as somebody who loves Peyton Manning, it was hard for me to accept that, but it kind of played out to where I had no I had nothing to really lean on when it comes to defending Peyton as a better quarterback than Tom Brady. Right, we we know how this works, right, You are defined by the amount of Super Bowls you win, and Brady's just better. Peyton's great, but Brady's better. And I'm about to block out as I say that, because there was a time in my life where I wouldn't say it got into my head. Probably would, but like that would that that's what it would have taken. So anyways, these two guys are sharing their opinion on who they believe the best quarterbacks in the NFL are And you know I don't. I don't no offense to anybody in sports media with a platform, because that's that's me, right, Like I just have I have an opinion like anybody else. I have a platform that I can share it, and maybe some people view it a little differently than the average opinion, although it's not much different. But what I'm getting at is when the NFL players vote on something, I think, I think that is more valuable than anything a guy a loud mouth at ESPN or Fox, or a loudmouth radio guy like myself, Like these are your peers. These are guys who you go up against at work. So I've always felt like if you are a player in the NFL and you are voted as one of the best one hundred players in the league, like that should mean something to you in a major way. If you're a really good player and you know you're one of the top one hundred players and the players that you you know, your coworkers essentially don't vote you that way. I would feel some time, I would feel disrespected because that's not some loudmouth who's never played the game that's just in front of a microphone like me. That's somebody who you know, you would think would respect you, regardless of any personal stuff. Like you know, this is somebody you don't want to play against because you know what they're gonna bring to the table. So you know, we talked about the NFL list a couple of weeks ago when that came out. But I feel like if you're a quarterback, like again, trying to put yourself in the shoes of a Joe Burrow or a Pat Mahomes or a Lamar Jackson, you know, let's be real, like we can't. We can try to act like we can relate, but we can't. But I feel like it's not a stretch to say that every one of these guys grew up watching Manning and Brady. And if you're Mahomes, Alan Herbert, any of these guys, lamar if you hear oh wait, these these two guys are putting out who they think the best quarterback in the NFL is in the top five, top four, you're gonna want to see where they have you and if they have you there. So I don't know. I found that to be interesting because again, these are guys who are the all time greats, and you know they don't always carry the you know, both these guys I think are gonna be fine. Peyton's proven to be entertaining and a guy that could do sports media and make more money than anybody, but like, you know, their opinion on stuff matters. Now, translating that to being an entertaining, you know guy at the studio set or radio show, it's a different story. But I have no problem. I'm not one of these guys that you know, gets super gets super offended to know that people do value those that played the game more than myself. And when it comes to quarterbacks, I'm not sure you could find two retired guys that you know would share this opinion and current quarterbacks would want to at more than those two. So anyways, we're loaded today. Stick with us. It's a hump day. No more butt stuff. It got weird, I promise, sometimes it happens. You never know what's gonna happen on the show. We got a little weird with the butt stuff, and you know, it was an experience, and now we'll move on. No judgment, all right, Stick with us Coffee and Company feel about Thorton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety. Coffee and Company fueled by Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety. That's us, Nick Coffee, that's me the company man John on alongside today. And usually if there's enough smoke, you know, you end up just even without proof or legitimate reporting, you just find yourself kind of thinking, well, hey, if there's this much mention, if there's this much you know, scuttle butt, as they say in regards to a rumor, you just kind of find yourself leaning more be true than being completely made up. And that's the wholea Marii Huggins Bruce thing, which I gotta be honest with you. I believe, I believe it. It got it got rolling on Sunday, at least from what I could tell that with the injury to Colin Lacy taking place on Saturday, I mean, it's tough to not envision that some kind of tampering went on here. So long story short, and I don't hate and I hate to reset it for everybody who's been listening, but Mary Huggins Bruy's transferred from Louisville ended up transferring to South Carolina in the portal and did not win the starting job at South Carolina as the slot receiver, which is what I'm sure he was expecting and hoping. Louisville now has an immediate need for somebody kind of at that spot with Colin Lacy going down, and I don't know what led to. Actually, here's what I think happened Colin Lacey's camp, if you will, I guess that's the best way to describe it. Like I don't know if it's his mama, if it's his if it's his high school coach or who it is. But someone from his side has been sharing dms on Twitter with people you know, and they're not I mean, it's like a random from what I've seen. I've seen a screenshot that show it could be completely made up and doctorate, but it's somebody who like created a Twitter account anonymously to DM people to say, hey, this is just keeping this is this is being worked out, Like he's coming back to Louisville, and usually I would just think, okay, like that does that you know, maybe, but like I don't have a hard time believing it. But again, in the last forty eight hours, seemingly it's been talked about by a lot of Louisville fans, but nobody has ever come out and said, Okay, for sure, they're working on this. They're trying to get him back to Louisville. He wants to come back. Now, they're just working out, you know, logistics and steps that need to be taken for this to happen. There's also not been anybody that said this is nonsense. He's still at South Carolina and he's at practice every day and this is just completely made up. Somebody threw it out there to see if it would stick because of their injury that they had to call in Lacey. So you're kind of in the middle, like, well, hey, somebody would have either reported it as being nonsense if it was. But you're also thinking, well, if there was any truth to this, wouldn't we have an official report from the capitol. Jay's out there, like my man Jody Dimmling, maybe even a Matt mcgavit getting something to run with. And we don't have that, at least I haven't seen it. Well, we now have something that makes it seem like this is this is real. So the beat writer for South Carolina, he wrote, I guess in a write up today. Yet in a write up earlier today in regards to South Carolina football that South Carolina senior wide receiver of Marii Huggins Bruce his future with the game Cox program is in doubt. Says here. The Dylan High grad who transferred from Louisville to South Carolina in December, was not at the game Cocks practice on Tuesday or Wednesday, per a team source. So that confirms to me that he is trying to leave South Carolina and come back to Louisville and play. Now, what I had heard as of last night, and again I hate even saying what I've heard. I've heard what all you've heard. I've read the Internet and all the random accounts that are just throwing stuff out there to see if it's true. That's what I've heard. So I don't have any kind of direct source or anything like that, but what's out there, and this is where I mean, And I didn't see this by the way the break as far as this update from the actual South Carolina football reporter that is confirming this guy is not around at South Carolina anymore. So what was out there is that because the portal has closed, he was going to drop out of South Carolina and enroll at Louisville and walk on to the team and have nil pay his tuition to come back. Now again, before I saw this report from the South Carolina beat reporter, I heard that and I felt even less confident that there's any truth to this at all, because doesn't that John just sound like such a difficult thing to go through to come back to Louisville where you haven't practiced at all.
Speaker 1: I can't imagine anything player truly going through that kind of a process.
Speaker 2: And here's here's where I am now. And again I'm just guessing like everybody else. I don't know. I'm not talking to a Marii Huggins, Bruce, I don't have any sources here. My guess is that he wants to do this, and they think that that's the actual route to make it making it happen, which is drop out of school, en role as a normal student, and then walk onto the team. But I don't know if that's doable. Like I mean, by the way, August twenty third is the last day to enroll in classes, that's on Friday. The last day to drop classes at South Carolina was apparently on Tuesday yesterday. He is not currently in u ofl's active directory, and the directory that is for South Carolina is private, so like, if he's dropped out, I don't even know if it would show that, but you can't access any of that information at the University of South Carolina. So I mean, here again, I'm just guessing like everybody else, But my guess is that he is trying to come back to Louisville and he wants to play at Louisville. They're just trying to figure out, if you know, what route he could take in order for that to actually happen. And if you're Jeff Brohm, you're probably not going to turn this away because this is a guy who again never really emerged as a key guy for you, but clearly there's value there. He made some plays during his time, and you now have an immediate need for somebody that can play that slot receiver position. But how is that, like, again, how is this not tampering, and to be honest, like honestly, like I mean, I guess maybe he could have just bailed on South Carolina reached out to somebody at u of L, But like, wouldn't he have to get a release, like even if he like quit the team, because that's what the portal is for the portal And by the way, there's tampering going on at all times, So I'm not acting like anybody anything wrong here. I mean, tampering is taking place probably every second of every day in high level college athletics in some former fashion, and there's ways to go around it to where they technically couldn't call it tampering, Like you telling your high school coach something and your high school coach communicating with a coach at a school like that's I mean, that's not against the rules, and that's how you would do it. So maybe that's how they're going about it. But my point is this, the portal exists, so when you hit the portal and you're officially in, then you can be bombarded by schools that are interested in you. He can't enter the portal because the portal is shut down. It's you know, closed for the off season. As the actual season is about to start. So by dropping out of school and just enrolling at Louisville and like, let's just say, oh wow, I'm back at Louisville finishing school. I happened to walk by the practice facility. They got an opening out there for a slot receiver. I played slot receiver for three years. Here, Hey, guys, you remember me. It's a Mari. Hey, I'm back. Like do they want the NCUABLEA to believe that that's how this happened? But then again, who the hell cares about the NCAA anymore? Right? Like no, I mean, I don't think anybody's operating with the fear of the NCUABLA right now like they once did. So like if you did, I mean, just imagine. I mean, I'm just I don't know. I'm amused by this now because this is just something I played out in my head and I just shared most of it with you there. Like he just decided he didn't like South Carolina, didn't like football, he really missed everything about Louisville, so he decided to drop out of school, come back to Louisville, and roll in classes at the last minute. Here he is on campus just a normal student. Oh theyreve an last minute walk on tryouts, I might as well, I might as well go try out. And then he's on the team as a walk on and you're using nil money that he's getting to pay for his tuition and he's not a scholarship player. Like imagine I mean presenting that to the nc DOUBLEA as far as how this went about, like it's not realistic. However, what are they gonna do? You know what I mean? Like, what could they? You know again, they can do whatever they want, I suppose, but I just it's a reminder to me that the whole nc DOUBLEA getting involved in saying you can't do that hadn't really popped up in my mind at all in this whole you know, seventy two hour window of time here where we've discussed this rumor. And it's because and I'm sure I'm not the I mean, I'm sure others have thought about the NCAA side of it, but like people just don't fear the NSTABA like they used to, and maybe you should. But either way, like I bet U of l is probably thinking, okay, well, you know, we'll see if he arrives and if he arrives, well, you know, we'll figure it out then, but it is a wild story. And I really started to think, like right before the show started today, I thought to myself, yeah, I mean hearing that as the scenario where he comes back and can play, there's just too many obstacles in the way in so little time to get all this going that it's just very very unlikely. Well now to see that he's abandoned the South Carolina I shouldn't say abandoned, but again, the report from the South Carolina Beat reporter is that he has not been at practice the last two days for South Carolina. So we shall see what happens. And and I don't want to act as if this has become such a big talking point, because this is a guy that absolutely changes everything for you, because, to be honest with you, he's not as good as Colin Lacy on paper. Now, we'll never know what Colin Lacey can do at this level until we actually see it. And unfortunately he's out six eight weeks, so we're gonna have to wait a little while. But you definitely have a guy who knows the offense. He was productive had about twelve hundred yards or so during his career eleven career touchdowns. I mean, this is a guy that if you can, if you could, if you can get him back, you would probably say hell yeah given the circumstances. But I just think in order for that to happen, there's a lot that needs to be done in a very little time. And oh yeah, the NCAA may step in and say, yeah, we see what you're doing here. We are not we are not granting this guy eligibility and if you play him, you're in trouble. So text that just came in on the Ellen and Federal Credit Union text line says percentage chances Nick that Amari Huggins Bruce is on the field when Louisville plays Austin p I'm gonna go. I'm gonna go thirty five percent chance, just because I mean, that sounds like a very very far fetched scenario to to you know, to all a line together to where here he is. He's here, school's paid for, he's walking on, he's a student, he's you know, he's back on the roster eligible. I just think that's a lot to get done. I mean, you gotta keep in mind, Louisville place next Saturday, right, I mean it's uh, the timing is just it. I mean, you've got a Tomming crunch here, You've got eligibility stuff that you don't know about, and then you know, maybe South Carolina convinces him to stay. I'm not sure. But anyways, so let's get to our next break. But I do want to remind you real quick, as I mentioned the text line, it's five oh two six five three zero seven ninety the llen N Federal Credit Union tax Line. Members get more at Ellen and Federal Credit Union. You lerment open your account today at LLNFCU dot com. You can also give us a call. Phone lines are open five O two five to seven one seventy nine hundred. It's coffe in company feel about Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety. That's right, it's coffee and company. Fuel about Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety. Appreciate your hanging out with us. Make sure if you have not signed up yet to become a member of the Thornton's Freshman Awards program, you do that right now. It's easy, it's free. All you have to do. I mean I would have say a lot of I mean, in fact, there was something I read the other day. I don't remember the exact number, but the amount of when people are accessing something on the World Wide Web, like ninety something percent of the time, they're doing it on their phone and a device rather than you know, an old school computer. So you know, doing whatever way you want. Just know there's a lot of ways to do it. But if if you have an iPhone or an Android, just go to the your w app store and you look for you look for Thornton's for Fresh re Wards. You'll find it. It will come up. You sign up, and you'll save money at the pump every time. And the incentive to sign up a little sign on bonus. If you will, you get a free red Bull and you get twenty five cents off per gal on the first time you fill up once once once you remember, So there you go, all right. So I had to ask John this during the break, kind of how we got there, because there's a lot of times we end up going down paths and it just takes the show in a direction I never would have imagined. And I always have a tough time remembering how we got there, and it's never really that important.
Speaker 1: But Rosco.
Speaker 2: We had somebody call in named Roscoe who helped us out because I was telling folks how they can you know, they can call in, and I always say, hey, five o' two, five seven one seventy nine hundred is the number if you want to give us a call. And you know, I just I'm programmed to always use area code. But Roscoe confirmed that if you just live in the five h two area and you call just five seven one seventy nine hundred, you don't need the area code because we share the same area code. So he was doing a little quality control for us, just making sure, you know, just in an inspection to see if in fact that is true. And he was right. And I just remembered Roscoe as a hell of a name. And I've just decided, now that we've got a Rosco on the line again, it's gonna be a Rosco showed it. If your na's Roscoe, you call in, you getting on the air. I mean, I can't prove that you're gonna be legit, but I'm gonna trust that this guy who called in right here, Roscoe. Okay, what's up, Roscoe?
Speaker 3: I think I'm the only one in Louisville. Besides my father. That's what I was telling your co host. I'm a thirteen generation. I can confirm at least six of us. Like my father's names Roscoe, his father's names Roscoe. It goes back and back and back. Unfortunately they've all passed away. It's just me and I have two teenage daughters. So unless they pass on the name, I get it. I get a lot of looks when I told people want to name, but I'm glad that there's someone that you know, a kid, so it's still staying alive. Hell yeah, yeah, I just appreciate. I appreciate you taking my call. And I told I told you, buddy, I followed you on X real quick. You all were talking about butt Craft State University. Yes, I'm a graphic designer. I've put some branding together for you for your butt Cracked State if you want to keep it going. Hell yeah, XDM.
Speaker 2: What a guy, Yeah, what a guy. Thank you appreciate it. Roscoe. That's why we need more Rosco's out there. Man, how about this guy providing good content for the show. Hell of a story. A thirteenth generation Roscoe and the reason you get those looks because it's a strong name. When you hear there's a Rosco around, people look up. They perk up a little bit. They want to know Roscoe's here.
Speaker 1: The butt up a little bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, because you know, it's a strong name. And look your daughters. I hate it for him, but there's no scenario if they have a son they can't name it Roscoe. Like it's just gonna be a it's gonna happen, has to happen. I mean, they would break. I mean, that'd be I mean that I don't want to. I don't want to overspeak here, but like they just have to know one of them. If they have a child and it's a boy, it's Roscoe. Hell name the daughter Roscoe. We got to keep it going. Thirteen generations. That's that's that's that's awesome. So hey, you're not alone again. When I when I mentioned Roscoe is a rare name and it's an awesome name, I mentioned that there's a buddy of my son who's four, who is in his kindergar not to kindergarten, crass, his his daycare class, and it's a little kid named Roscoe. And you know, typically you know see little kids named Roscoe. But this Roscoe guy, he's got some flare to him. He's got some some awesome long shaggy hair. Him and him and Moose they love to, you know, have fun at daycare their buddies. I know, at least a couple of days a week whenever I take him the daycare, depending on you know, what the kids are doing. Occasionally they're in like their class and I don't see any of the other kids. But if Roscoe, if he's, if he's around the door when Moose walks in. Man, those bros they hug it out. Man, They're happy to see each other. They're ready to raise some hell at daycare h and have some fun. So shout out to the Roscos today. It's a Roscoe show here on a Wednesday afternoon coffee and company fuel about Thornton's all right, so let's do this. Let's take our top of the hour break here. We got a lot more to get into, two more hours to go. I do want to get into this conversation, and it really it's I mean, it's not really a conversation. But we'll tell you where Peyton Manning and Tom Brady ranked the rest of the rank of the quarterbacks in the NFL as far as who they believe is the best of that position. Also, the Candid Coaches series I want to take a look at from CBS Sports, a lot of love for Louisville basketball and their nil work, as well as a lot of love for Mark Pope as far as the college basketball coaches at the highest level. They view him as one of the best hires that was made this offseason, which kind of surprised me a little bit. So again, we're loaded the next couple of hours. Keep it locked right here at is Coffee and Company, and we are fuel about Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety