Speaker 1: KFI AM six forty bill handle here it is a Taco Tuesday, May thirteenth, and every Tuesday, as always, it's time for Rich Demurou, kfi's tech guy, who is seen on Channel five KTLA every day Saturdays here on KFI eleven am to two pm Instagram at Rich on tech website, Rich on tech dot TV, and.
Speaker 2: Good morning Rich, Hey, good morning you Bill.
Speaker 1: Okay, a lot of things to talk about, and I'd love to talk about phones for a couple of reasons. First of all, that's a gadget that I almost understand, the rest of them not so much. And the ultrathin phones. And now we've been around where we have seen phones, portable phones go all the way from those that were as big as bricks with the antenna down to phones that are so thin, so small, And now Samsung has come up with an ultra thin phone, even thinner than the phones we have now.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's quite wild. I was in New York last week to check it out, and it's thin. It's noticeably like you pick this thing up and you're like, wow, this is really thin. It's light, it's easy to hold. The main drawback to this is going to be the battery life. Well, we'll see when we test it. We don't know that for sure, but the battery is smaller than your typical phone. But here's the deal on it. It's called the Galaxy S twenty five Edge. It's five point eight millimeters thick, one hundred and sixty three grams. That's the thinnest Samsung phone they've ever made. But it still has the latest feature So it's got a great camera, two hundred megapixel camera ultra wide. It's got the latest processor, it's got a good amount of RAM and storage, comes in three colors, wireless charging, it's water resistant, and it ships on May thirtieth. The price tag is eleven hundred dollars, so it's a couple hundred dollars less than the Ultra, which is their top of the line, but one hundred dollars more than the Plus, which is the one that they're sort of positioning these between. So again, one more option for folks. And we do know Bill that Apple is rumored to be coming out with their version of a thin iPhone called the iPhone Air. That's the expected name. We don't know if that's true or not, but that's going to come out later this year. So look, it's all about options for folks at this point because the cell phone market has been a little bit stagnant.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean when you describe weight, for example, in grams other than buying cocaine, who the hell knows what.
Speaker 2: That is exactly? Well, I know it's more cocaine.
Speaker 3: Go ahead, Yeah, I mean, look, there there's a lot of drug dealers out there that are like, oh my gosh, that's a good amount of weight on that phone. But you know, to me, it's actually very I don't know, it's a gram, a lot, or a little bit of I don't have no idea. I'm not really in that stuff, nor am I.
Speaker 1: Graham's about one hundred and twenty bucks. She used to be maybe one hundred and ten on a good day, and it hasn't really gone up. Okay, when you talk about phones that are that thin, my immediately what comes to mind. Since I sit on my phone a lot and I put it in my back pocket, don't you have a phone that is going to bend in the shape of your butt when you sit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And look, that's going to be the big thing to test on this phone is the durability because of all those reasons. So when we got the you know, the way that these companies typically do it, they give folks hands on so you get to see this first, but you don't really get to review it or play with it until maybe a week or two later. So we don't have the phones in hand just yet for long term testing, but that should come soon hopefully, and that's when people are going to test it. There's this guy on YouTube, Jerry Rigg. He does you know, all these crazy the torture tests on different phones, So of course he will be bending the heck out of this thing to see if it actually bends in your pocket.
Speaker 2: I hope that it doesn't because in.
Speaker 3: My you know, first hands on, it did feel very strong and it is made out of titanium. So hopefully Samsung thought about that and said, yeah, people are gonna still put this thing in their back pocket. We want to make it you know where it's gonna be just fine.
Speaker 1: There are people better off instead of buying the new phone every two years because whatever program you're on, you have the ability to upgrade and it doesn't cost you anything. Or I have to do is extend the contract. Is it a far better deal simply to buy the phone that's two years old, because you're really not going to get that much more benefit on a new phone.
Speaker 3: I mean, look, you know this is this gets into consumerism and you know, the latest, the greatest, like phones nowadays are you know some.
Speaker 2: Of the the software.
Speaker 3: Updates on today's phones. For Apple is anywhere from five to six years. For Google it's seven years. So that gives you an idea of how long you can keep your phone. Most people are keeping them for about I think it's about thirty nine months at this point, so you can keep your phone.
Speaker 2: For a very long time.
Speaker 3: You do not need to upgrade every year for sures you unless you're a photographer, a content a content.
Speaker 2: Creator, or a videographer. Right.
Speaker 3: The rest of everyone else in the world can pretty much upgrade every three years. But you know, the plans that people are on give me the ability to upgrade more, and that's what the carriers want because you're spending more money. So it's really a personal preference and kind of where you want to sit and what plan you're on.
Speaker 2: But you definitely don't need to.
Speaker 1: And Rich let's get right into a story that as a matter of fact, we just heard about the Ticketmaster transparency. One of the things that I think bug most of us. For example, going to a hotel before here's the price, until you walk in and there's your resort fee, even in motels that have no pool, and then your excise taxes and on and on, you're paying forty percent more.
Speaker 2: Same thing with Ticketmaster.
Speaker 1: When you're buying a concert ticket, you're paying a hell of a lot more than the price that is being quoted. That is ending, and why did it take so damn long.
Speaker 3: Well, the part that's ending is that you're finally going to see how much you're paying upfront. You're still paying a bunch of junkie fees that's not changing, sadly. But Ticketmaster as of now does show you the full price of your ticket up front.
Speaker 2: Now here's the deal.
Speaker 3: All this stuff with the service fees and the stuff they tack on, that's fine.
Speaker 2: Like, I get it.
Speaker 3: We've been paying this stuff for a long time. It's wild, it's crazy. We shouldn't be doing it. But it's the reality versus the face value, right. But the thing is, it was that surprise at the end. So you find a good pair of tickets for the game or the concert or whatever you want to go to, and then you finally get to the checkout and the price jumps, you know, depending on how many tickets you're buying by you know, it could be one hundred dollars, two hundred dollars, three hundred, whatever it is. And I think that surprise is what really turned people off. So now at least you see the full price that you're gonna pay up front before you get to that final screen. And then on the final screen it's sort of reversed. You can now click an arrow and get the breakdown of all the different fees that are included in that price that you've been seeing. And by the way, Ticketmaster is not the only one we're seeing more of this transparency. Airbnb is doing something similar. But like you said, hotels kind of the last holdout here, still a lot of junkie fees, especially at check.
Speaker 2: In with that resort fee.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't care what they charge if you know what you're paying. I mean, they can throw on two hundred dollars room if you know that it's two hundred dollars extra room. Then you choose simply to go to someplace not as expensive, where you decide You're not going to go to that concert. It is not worth that much money. But you know what did it take to get there? Was there a lobby that stopped because I'm sure there's been law after law introduced to stop that for years.
Speaker 3: Well, I think the most recent one was I think it was last late last year. I think they finally passed something that made this take effect, this junk fee law, and so I think that these companies are finally I think they had a deadline. I think the deadline's coming up, but they just got ahead of it. And so that is the main ifetus Like these companies do not do this out of the kindness of their heart. Like if they had their way, what a company would do is charge you for your ticket and then two weeks after the show say hey, by the way, here's your fee that we're charging you for after the show because you enjoyed it, So here's another six dollars we just put on your credit card.
Speaker 2: Like that's what they would do if they were able to do that.
Speaker 3: But yes, once you know, the government says, hey, you got to show and show all in pricing because these junk fees are getting. The thing is bill these companies don't want.
Speaker 2: To be regulated in a way, right, They do this.
Speaker 3: Stuff to like sort of evade some of these regulations that they know would come down the line if they didn't.
Speaker 2: Do this stuff.
Speaker 3: So, but the FTC did make a ban on junk fees that is in effect now and that's really I think what made this happen.
Speaker 1: And is that going to be across the board whenever there were there are hidden fees, airline fees, et cetera across just everything.
Speaker 3: Oh, I think I think airlines were. I got to look up the rule because this was a while ago, but I think the airlines were like specifically excluded from this. So industries covered right now are concerts, sporting events, theater performances, hotels, motels, all that stuff, holiday inn But the I think the airlines did sort of rally against this fee, and I think they won because they don't have to do this and airlines are like the worst. So I mean, if you ever, if you ever do a search to like Vegas, you can go on Spirit for like nine bucks, and then by the time you get all the taxes and you bring your actual bag on board, you're talking like another like eighty dollars or something insane.
Speaker 2: So yeah, okay, all right, Rich tomorrow morning.
Speaker 1: We'll see you on KTLA Saturday eleven to two pm Here on KFI Instagram, at rich on tech website, richon tech dot tv. You have a good one.
Speaker 2: Take care Rich YouTube Bill