Speaker 1: Welcome to the Parenting Roundabout podcast. I'm Terry Morrow and I'm Catherine Jileco. Every Thursday, we're bringing you a library find, a pick from our archives, and a parenting or pop culture tidbit or two. Let's start with Catherine's library find.
Speaker 2: Of the week. So, as you know, some of the library finds are just things that insistently present themselves in front of my face, you know. And I finally am like, what is this? And this time it is a movie called Sasquatch Sunset.
Speaker 1: What and Sasquatch Romance.
Speaker 2: It's supposed to be like the story of a family of sas Squatches. Reading too from IMDb, a year in the life of a unique family. It captures the daily life of the Sasquatch with a level of detail and rigor that is simply unforgettable. Oh my goodness. So that is you know, promotional copy, right, But apparently then I read further on on IMDb there's no dialogue. It's just like grunting this whole movie. And like Jesse Eisenberg is in it and Riley Kean, but they are completely unrecognizable. They have like, you know, just so much like makeup and hair attached a fixed to them that it's so weird and it's supposed to be a comedy, and you know, it was one of those things like should I watch this? Like it just keeps Apparently lots of people are because it keeps coming coming past. It's new came out in twenty twenty four, but as soon as I saw when it said there's no there's no talking, I was like, okay, no, I'm out. There is no way. I at least have.
Speaker 1: Subtitles so you knew what they were saying.
Speaker 2: I don't think so if you watch the trailer.
Speaker 1: Find the sasquatch track, and then, uh, weird.
Speaker 2: It seems so weird. Wow, Like but when I tell you it has come through so many times, like it might even be a short loan, which means like lots of people are putting it.
Speaker 1: Out as possible.
Speaker 2: Exactly, how is this possible?
Speaker 1: I never see movies but about them. I follow society about them. How have I not heard of this?
Speaker 2: Yeah? That's how I felt about it.
Speaker 1: It's like a library sensation. Didn't I don't know the Library Video Awards come out.
Speaker 2: It'll do mm hmm, yeah, I mean it does only have a five and a half star rate out of ten. Writing on IMDb, Oh my goodness, but so weird. It's so very weird.
Speaker 1: Oh man, things that you find in the library.
Speaker 2: These here's here's some more. Yeah, here's some more texts from from IMDb. These shaggy and noble giants fight for survival as they find themselves on a collision course with the ever changing world around them. But also it's a comedy, just lots of jokes in there with the yeah.
Speaker 1: Except you can't understand what they are because they're just being told.
Speaker 2: Well that's yeah, that's why I'm putting quote jokes. Yeah, I guess visual physical comedy apparently something like that. US.
Speaker 1: Wow, that sounds sasquatch sunset rain wreckingly awful, So it'll probably gain a cult following.
Speaker 2: Yes, I'm that must be already happened.
Speaker 1: Would have had better things to do, But I guess, you know, times is rough.
Speaker 2: You take what you can get, right, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I mean, the fact that it exists at all is amazing, and the fact that it's a hot ticket at the library is more amazing.
Speaker 2: Still, right, And it said and I watched the trailer, like and that was more than enough. It's said that it was in theaters. That's all point.
Speaker 1: So it's Sasquatch only theaters. Apparently you must.
Speaker 2: Go to the deep deep forest. Yeah, maybe it's it's the all. It's cheese, his his friend, his family that are watching it because cheese. Was was it cheese or was it it? I believe it was cheese, but also wasn't it Laura's not Laura Willie Jack's dad maybe who was kind of seeing sasquatch. I don't know, that's right, that's right, yes, yes he did. I've wandered over to reservation dogs.
Speaker 1: Found them out in the out in the woods watching Sasquatch.
Speaker 2: On d Wow. Sasquatcha mm hmm.
Speaker 1: Look that up, y'all. And if you make it all the way through, tell us how it is, tell us how it goes, because I am not.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's it.
Speaker 1: We'll have to link the trailers on YouTube. We have to link to that.
Speaker 2: It's on IMDb for sure.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, at least was anybody biting anybody else. It's maybe less traumatic than your pick last week, so it's just incomprehensible comedy.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, I don't think they're violent to Sasquatch. They just want to live their woodsy life.
Speaker 1: Yep, yep, just just uh try to uh grunt and let grunt, you know, yeah, leave them, leave them alone. Well, I too have a what's not a library find, but it's the Terry finally finished reading something on audible of the every two years or so.
Speaker 2: Don't I'm surprised. I thought you did finish the stuff that you've to.
Speaker 1: Well, this problem is I listened to like five thousand podcasts, and so by the time I get through the podcast, there's not that much time to listen to books. Also, I listened to the podcasts while I work because I have some work that debt doesn't require one of my attention, and so it's good to have something playing that burns up the part of my brain that would be worrying and obsessing over things. But a book you pretty much have to give the book your entire attention, So it's not a it's I can multitask a little, but I can't multitask a lot. So that's why I think it takes me longer to get through the books. Also, audiobooks are oftentimes so bleap and long. You know, you sit down read this and it says seventeen hours, right, and you know that's an hour a day for two and a half weeks. It's not that much, but it just you gotta go, oh no, no, I'm not starting that. So anyway, this book I just finished reading was called Hands of Time, a Watchmaker's History. It is by Rebecca Struthers and the audiobook I should find the name of the person who narrated it on the audiobook because she had a delightful British accent. And as you know, I am a sucker for this. So it's just like, well, if you're going to read it to me, could you read it to me that way? That'd be thank you. Title details, Let me see who read this thing, because it was not I know it was not the author. Oh here we go, narrated by Anna p l O s z a j Ski. Pronounce that as you will. Well, but she was a delightful reader and had a very very British accent. So basically what it is is as a history of watches. You know how they were invented, how they were made, how advances came to them, what part they played in history. Really very interesting, not so interesting that you have to put everything down and listen to it one hundred percent of your brain, but pretty interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, here's the.
Speaker 1: Publisher's beginning of the publishers blurb. An award winning watchmaker, one of the few practicing the art in the world today, chronicles the invention of time through the centuries long story of one of mankind's most profound technological achievements, the watch. So, I you know, I'm a sucker for non fiction about the normal things in our lives. And I mean I think you had read one about pockets, which I then also want read, and it was very interesting and that.
Speaker 2: I was a library Fine, I didn't actually read it.
Speaker 1: Yes, about this plank. Come on, so this is something that might go in a pocket, or on a wrist, or in a variety of other places. And so if you're interested in watches and enjoy listening to a British person read you nonfiction, I highly recommend Hands of Time. It would probably be just fine to read on the page as well, if you have that kind of eyeballs.
Speaker 2: I do not, right, And it was.
Speaker 1: Let's see how many hours it was. It was eight hours and seven minutes.
Speaker 2: That's manageable.
Speaker 1: That's manageable. Hour a day. You can get it done in a little over a week or fifteen minutes a day. You can get it done in a long period of time. But if you have a watch, you can tie yourself.
Speaker 2: You can tie yourself and know how long.
Speaker 1: It much nice to say about Apple watches. By the way, so I think that you know, probably you don't want to use the timer on your phone. It would be disrespectful. Get yourself a stop watch, get yourself a wrist watch with the secondhand come on.
Speaker 2: Right being, don't be an animal, don't be a sasquatchy.
Speaker 1: This would be hard to say. Did the Sasquatch have a wristwatch?
Speaker 2: I don't believe so. I don't believe they have any clothing of any kind.
Speaker 1: Well, then how did they know how to say it's time for us to walk through our archives?
Speaker 2: I don't know. They just have to, you know, follow the rhythms of nature. I guess.
Speaker 1: So monster moves through the jungle.
Speaker 2: Is when it's time? Yeah, is when it's time. Well, we're going to travel back to twenty seventeen. We did a speed round called what are you obsessed about right Now? Because for a long time our podcast tagline was what yes, parents are what was it reading.
Speaker 1: About, complaining about and obsessing about.
Speaker 2: Right I'm obsessing about right now. So we wanted to highlight while we were obsessed about.
Speaker 1: And weis I obsessed about them? Was that my Hamilton phase?
Speaker 2: No, you were obsessed with our podcast?
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, our podcast.
Speaker 2: It's been seven years and has how has that changed?
Speaker 1: So we just were in the happy days when we had a large audience of bots. Before podcast of statisticians learned how to wipe those and so now it's not so fun looking at the stats. So that is something I have tried very hard to abandon. Just just imagine, just imagine they're out there. It's fine, people are listening to us.
Speaker 2: Of course, of course they are.
Speaker 1: But I have noticed lately that I have a habit of becoming super obsessed with something, living, breathing, and eating it for a while, and then completely abandoning it.
Speaker 2: It's a terrible habit.
Speaker 1: Both ends of that habit are bad because I mean, for a while, as you know, Hamilton was like everything I was reading, everything, I was following Lynn on on social media. I was listening to the soundtrack so often my family were saying stop. And now it's like I must never think of it. I saw it when it sawt on Disney, and then at some place the switch turned off.
Speaker 2: And you were like moving on.
Speaker 1: It's just completely For a while, I was super into the Bobby Bones Show podcast and radio show and all the people involved in it's super in falling on social media, super into it. They ticked me off with something on the show, I said, that's it. Never listened to it since unfollowed them.
Speaker 2: All on social media.
Speaker 1: What is wrong with me? Why do we get so so crazy into something and then just it's like one way or the other. It's not just a mild level of enjoyment and interest.
Speaker 2: Right, this is not somebody.
Speaker 1: It's also about myself. And every time I get interested in something I know, I go like, well how long is this gonna last?
Speaker 2: But it's not like important things that you know what I mean. It's like, you're not like I was obsessed with these children and now forget it.
Speaker 1: You know, out with you both you know it's not important things, and which makes me think, why did I ever get so obsessed with them in the first place. But it's see, I just latch onto something to relieve me of my boredom and anxiety and occupy myself, and then when it ceases to do that, or when it adds to that in some way, I'm just like, Okay, we're done.
Speaker 2: Or when it just runs its course, camelton me have just run its course.
Speaker 1: I still listen to I still have a couple of I one song from the soundtrack on a playlist of just stuff. I like that, So I listened to that periodically. But I've thought about taking it off and what.
Speaker 2: You've threatened to take it out, and.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's It's Quiet Uptown. It's the only one I still listen to anymore because that little forgiveness is so angelic. But uh, you know, so, I don't know what am I obsessed about. Now. There must be something. There's always something.
Speaker 2: There's got to be something way my brain.
Speaker 1: Works, but I don't know what it is. Some people might say it's it's putting up things on social media about the podcast, because there are quite a lot of and I am enjoying substack. Yeah, y'all, go go, well look at my substack for cool ye and it's now has as we talk, it has four uh well, later today it will have four articles on it. And by the time you listen to it there will be five because I use this podcast as a deadline. But so it's fun reading notes and stuff on that and getting it can be real fun, getting just completely immersed in social media. But then you think, what am I doing? I'm a grown up? Stop this, I have like, real, why am I arguing with I'm not arguing with strangers. I don't reply to things. I just argue with them in my head and oftentimes in the shower I yell at them some because they deserve it. And but it's like this is this is not a good use of my time. So I'm trying very hard not to be obsessed. So I don't know, are you obsessed with anything right at the moment.
Speaker 2: Well, by the time you listen to this, I predict I will be obsessed with watching the Olympics. Oh yeah, because that's happening, and you know, it'll be like, well, I really need to watch the you know, steeple chase semi finals or whatever it is that NBC decides to show us. And possibly we think we have peacock. We might have peacock right now, which was which is where a lot of things are going to be. But I just you know, it's definitely one of those. Like you know, I don't know if it's considered being a fair weather fan because it doesn't happen in those others.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 2: But the thing is, those sports are going on. It's just that you cannot really follow them or watch them.
Speaker 1: Unless you now more than you used to be able to, because it'll be in some cable network or some streaming network. They'll have the USA competitions and stuff like that. But I don't know. I have in the past gotten obsessed by the Olympics, and recently just haven't gotten into it as much, and I don't have any enthusiasm for watching them now at all. It just seems like a bad idea.
Speaker 2: To have that many people in one place.
Speaker 1: Yes, and yeah, and that many countries in one place, and France hasn't been a particular land of peace and tranquility lately. So I want to add this, so God bless them, They've they've made it so that all the events are like in public places, so that lots of people can watch them. And so I'm assuming there's gonna be security guards running along with the athletes. All right, Joe, strap that rifle on your back. You're swimming in the sand with the swimmers. Keep up, keep up, Yes, watch the crowd while you're going.
Speaker 2: Man, it'll be fine.
Speaker 1: So I wish them luck, and I hope that I will not hear anything but wonderful reports coming from it.
Speaker 2: Right, And I hope that kind of like.
Speaker 1: It's over.
Speaker 2: I hope between the time we've recorded this and the time anyone is listening to it, that's something is not disclaimers.
Speaker 1: Were recording this a week ahead of when it's dropping.
Speaker 2: Right, forgive us.
Speaker 1: We'll go and e clip it and re'll release it. We'll boo drop something else in this spot.
Speaker 2: It'll be fine, all right. Well, I just remember, like, do you remember what was it like being in Los Angeles? Oh, when it was there?
Speaker 1: You know what. It's funny because I was thinking of that, and.
Speaker 2: Because it's going to be back there.
Speaker 1: Yes, everybody was so braced for it that it was a disaster for the local businesses. Everybody said, Okay, the thing to do is to stay out of La, stay out of downtown LA. Just let's stay where we are and never go anywhere and never go out or never do anything. And consequently, businesses took a huge hit, and I worked for a company that made giftwear and they got I mean, I imagine they just put everything they had on the table to get the license for the Olympics for their legs and stuff like that, and nobody bought stuff and they went under because of it. So it was like, well, good job on the letting the Olympics take over the town, but could you have shown some interest in it. It wound up being, as I recall, at least in my limited view, kind of a disaster for businesses in the area. So I wonder about that about Paris as well. I would think, I mean, are people going to, hey, let's go to that cafe. Sure it's right where there's huge crowds watching events, but I'm sure we can get a table. You know, it's just gonna be well, let's say everybody stay out of downtown. Maybe not, maybe not. Maybe maybe the French are a heartier type than Angelina's and just want to get in there and mix it up. But wow, I think I would want to stay away from crowds if I was just pretty much anyone anywhere right now. But I am a whimp.
Speaker 2: So I just remember I remember watching it for sure, and when it was in La. Yeah, Like I remember, I had a babysitting job. So I was fourteen, and somebody hired me to take care of their like six week old baby, like a very little baby, and they were like moving or something, and so they needed me to watch this baby, you know, for like twelve hours. And so I did. I just watch the Olympics Aliday with this time tiny baby. I was like, I cannot believe they want me to They're putting me in charge of this infant. Oh gosh, it was all fine, but yeah, that's what I remember the most about it, and this it'sy bitsy baby. Wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well I didn't go anywhere near it myself, So yeah, yeah, I wish them luck. I hope it's good. I hope it's worth being obsessed about, and that many wonderful moments occur, and for the Olympics and the Paralympics both, right, And I'm looking for my next obsession, so keep an eye open for me. It's gonna be something I'm not gonna be able to talk about anything else. Maybe Taylor Swift, maybe Hardy Walkers was kind of an obsession for a while. I don't talk about him so much anymore. I gotta look up. Yeah, I just I'm fickle, superfiicle, and yet I've stayed with this podcast for a really long time. So Parenting Roundabout is my obsession. I need no more. Thank you for listening. You can find all our episodes on Spreaker, Apple Podcasts, Amazon Music, or wherever you get your podcasts. You can find recaps, links, and an opportunity to comment on our website at parentingroundabout dot com.
Speaker 2: You can also talk to us on our Facebook page, on Instagram or on Twitter, where you'll find us at roundabout Chat. And please visit our Amazon shop at Amazon dot com, slash shop slash mamitude but you can find links to a lot of the things we've talked about over the years.