Speaker 1: Welcome to the Parenting Roundabout podcast. I'm Terry Morrow and I'm Catherine Jileco. As parents and parenting writers, we can't help but see everything through a parenting lens. But as our kids have become adults, we find ourselves more interested in getting caught up on movies and streaming than I'm going over the same parenting topics over and over.
Speaker 2: So since we're pretty sure we can find parenting wisdom anywhere, we're going to talk about what we're watching, what we thought about it, and maybe what we can learn from it, if only what not to do. Watch and listen along, and let's all make like we're doing something important for our families.
Speaker 1: Each Wednesday we bring you a watch or rewatch of an older entertainment property, and for this week of August nineteenth, we are continuing with Lost of season one, episode seven, The Moth, a particularly heavy handed metaphor in this time this one. Do not have to interpret what that means. It's not like white Rabbit. It's like, oh, he's chasing He's chasing his dad in the jungle. His dad is like the White Rabbit. Or House of the Rising Sun, which was not about a house in New Orleans, but abouts no, this one. There was in fact a moth who played a pivotal, pivotal role at a couple of different junctures, right, both in saving people from certain death and in providing a story for Locke to use to get Charlie to stop using. So that that's that's a very plain spoken title for a show that is oftentimes not so right. You got it? The moth, Hey, look at them out? It means something.
Speaker 2: Also, let me explain to you exactly what I mean. Yes, yes, I'm not going to let you just try to figure it out on your own. I will be I will be sharing the exact ta.
Speaker 1: See, if you let the moth out of the cocoon too soon, bad things, it's too weak. Golly, who could he be referring to. Hopefully, Charlie is shortly thereafter cocooned by rocks. So just in case you didn't get it, and hey.
Speaker 2: Guess what gets him out of the cocoon of rocks. It's a moss. Somehow the moss has flown underground like what. I don't know how the moth figured it out, to.
Speaker 1: Be honest, the Magical Island moths underground? Yes, well, perhaps it flew in the same way it flew out the well.
Speaker 2: That was the implication, right, But while everybody's digging for them from one direction, they pop up behind them. Hey guys, what's up.
Speaker 1: That would be pretty ticked to buy his hauling rocks at the other side, and they're like, oh wait.
Speaker 2: Yo, hi, what are you doing here?
Speaker 1: Oh man?
Speaker 2: And it's up to Walt to say, hey, there's the doctor. Like they didn't say anything like here we are, Hey.
Speaker 1: We're safe. Yeah. Well, well it's got to have a line. It's in his contract. The little kid's agent came and taped somebody on the shoulder saying he hasn't said anything this episode. Oh fine, he can say, hey, there's the.
Speaker 2: Doctor, right, give him something to do real quick.
Speaker 1: Oh man. So this was quite the action packed episode and illustrating again that Jack is dad or Jack is mom and dad Jack is the parental figure. Yeah, because when he is endangered, everybody drops everything. I mean, Boone and Kate both say, forget this thing. That's going to get us off the island. We got to go see if we can pull some rocks away from Jack.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: It's everybody knows who's most important here now yes, I forget this stuff, never mind, but uh, Shannon and Sawyer do as substitutes their duty.
Speaker 2: Yes, I really didn't think Shannon was gonna.
Speaker 1: Be I thought that was a very poor choice from boone. Yeah, there's nobody else. Get the guy in the background who nobody quite knows his name, get him to come to it to be better. But uh, yeah, but she does it, and Sawyer does it and said it looks everything is looking good. He's got a signal. And then from that clung it must be a moth. The moths are really Agress.
Speaker 2: Was like, listen, dude, you don't want to do this. Yeah, I'm going to stop you.
Speaker 1: Miss entity. I don't think we saw hands. We just saw a long item coming. And Bonking sayed in the noggin, but just at the moment, just at the very moment of triumph, he was gonna be able to triangulate the signal or whatever the heck mumbo jumbo he was going to do to find the source of the recording that's been playing for sixteen years or whatever. Yet Nope, a mystery. Yes, I did, however, enjoy very much. You remember when you could take the battery out of a laptop, Catherine that button and flip it flippa out. So HER's got him some laptops and he can just take a battery right off of one and hand it to Kate. I miss those days. I loved those days. This is like I missed the days when computers were big enough that you could kick fam if they weren't working, and oftentimes it worked, or you could give the side of the monitor a hard smack and sometimes it would work. And later when it was only laptops, you could still fire that battery out with extreme prejudice and then get back in hard and sometimes we get the computer to work. Now everything's all screwed up and there's nothing you can do. There's no real estate to hit, there's nothing to pop out. It's just a self contained unit. And once it stops working, you got to go to the Apple store. You get no satisfaction. You can yell at your children and hit your desk, but it's not gonna do anything.
Speaker 2: That does not have the same appeal at all.
Speaker 1: That was a real moment of nostalgia. We need a battery. Let's go see if Sawyer has hoarded any laptops. Oh, I remember, of course he has so wonderful. Nowadays, they would be out of luck because the laptops would all be dead and there would be no way to remove anything from any of them.
Speaker 2: That's right. They would all be dead because everybody was using them on the plane to watch movies, and it's.
Speaker 1: Been using them since to see Is there anything on the news yet about us? Go on YouTube?
Speaker 2: Facebook?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like that when we play that, there's a drive chaft video. Play my video. Yeah, we learned all about Charlie and his brother Liam and the unfortunate fate of their band, and add to the uh to the gallery of bad dads. A bad bro. I'm gonna say he was a father figure, so he can count in our dad bad dad's thing. But dude, yeah, not taking care of your little brother at all just awful, just so sad, and so exactly the arc of bad dads we've had. So golly, that's just right.
Speaker 2: Then at the end he makes a feeble attempt to be like, oh, let me help you, and Charlie it's like, no got a plane to catch, like, oh, don't get on that plane.
Speaker 1: Well it does get them off here on, so there you go.
Speaker 2: That's true. Also, so at the end, you know. He he asks Locke one last time for the drugs.
Speaker 1: And said, you can ask me three times and on the third time, if you ask the third time, I'll give it to you, which, right, with a face full of disappointment, he does.
Speaker 2: He does. But then if Charlie throws them in a fire. Now, this is drugs that people smoke, and he and he throws them in a fire, Like how what are they not? Now all getting getting a little.
Speaker 1: You know what lasting around it, holds it down or something? I don't know. Do you just does it have to be in a different form to smoke it? This is Terry and Catherine being ignorant about that. Can you just because this he has been taking this.
Speaker 2: Orally he's been like snorting in her Yeah.
Speaker 1: Justin I imagine you could dissolve it in water and shoot it up, but could you smoke it in that? I suppose you can do anything with it you wish. Yeah, get desperate. Yeah, I don't know. If you burn it in a fire, does it get everybody high? But the uh, the dinner is going to be extra tasty, the boar. Everybody doesn't feel real good about that.
Speaker 2: You want to hits our heroin infused. That's what's the manage. You know, the chef special today.
Speaker 1: Blackened Boar with with uh you.
Speaker 2: Know wild we should stay?
Speaker 1: Yes, you know what, I'm willing to give it to them. What the heck? They could use a fun night pretty hard. Everyone's got an injury, an inside piece.
Speaker 2: Everyone has a has some kind of physical injury that they're dealing with. So maybe it'll help with you know, Jack's dislocated shoulder and everything else.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know that's true that you all used to mellow out a little bit as long as of course, then they're going to be pretty grouchy afterwards.
Speaker 2: But right, but I don't think it's enough to get them hooked. But again, what do I know? It's very.
Speaker 1: Yes, the moths, the moths will enjoy the fumes.
Speaker 2: But so Sun is getting a little more you know, independent, or she is not taking it deciding, Like listen, dude, it's hot. I'm not wearing your stupid cardigan anymore.
Speaker 1: Walk around in this Lacey cavesl right because I feel like it.
Speaker 2: No, Yeah, because now I know that there's people here who will help me out. I guess.
Speaker 1: Really, there were no additional additional tank tops in the uh, in everybody's luggage.
Speaker 2: In the clothes sorting, the great clothes sort.
Speaker 1: I bet Kate's got ten or twelve of them stashed aside. She could probably probably share one of them with something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she seems to have at least a few tank.
Speaker 1: Tops, a little better than a lacy underwear looking thing. But really, at this point, who cares exactly?
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: Fortunately, nobody's going to make a move on Son because Jen will kill them.
Speaker 2: So yeah, they've all they've all seen that.
Speaker 1: I don't know Sawyer, Sawyers. Maybe he has enough of a death wish, but I don't think.
Speaker 2: Oh Sawyer.
Speaker 1: Eventually trying to think, how long it takes before we stop hating that guy? Not yet?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: But you know that he's sensitive up there somewhere. He gets gage when people are rude.
Speaker 2: Yes, he's right, he's shutting them out so they can't hurt him.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, you know what I bet about him. I just have this feeling. I bet his dad wasn't.
Speaker 2: Very nice, just a feeling, you say.
Speaker 1: Mean to him in some way, just as he could have been his mom. Yeah, you know, but I just I just have this feeling. Well, since next week's episode is a Sawyer episode.
Speaker 2: Perhaps perhaps find something out trust.
Speaker 1: Before we get I think one of the random extras got a a name, except it's Scott or else it's Steve. Nobody was sure whether it was Scott or Steve. So that guy got a little extra money in his paycheck.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there was a moment of like, hey, what's your name? Move this ro or whatever?
Speaker 1: I did, enjoy it went out of nowhere. There's just some person we've never seen before.
Speaker 2: Right, alrighty, you are necessary for the plot just for a minute, and then you need people to move rocks. Then you can go back to obscurity. Trust me, it will not be long.
Speaker 1: Jack. The caves are safe. Let's all go live in the caves and the caves name and fall down. The rest of them are fine. Yeah, I'm sure.
Speaker 2: Michael says he's a construction worker, so I mean he's not like a civil engineer. As far as I can tell, trust him.
Speaker 1: With my life.
Speaker 2: The heck, I know.
Speaker 1: At some point, I guess it's still early. There's still only been there about a week or so, right, Yeah, it's some At some point you got to start thinking, could I arrange for a quick and painless death? Is that something that I could arrange for languishing for months with a bullet in my gut. But if somebody, if I could just fall off a cliff maybe, or are there poisonous snakes around here, you know, or if somebody just wants to bop me on the head in the jungle. But say it is, of course still quite We'll be alive in kick such time as he wakes up. Yes, spoiler, he makes it if you're thinking, geez, I like that INVI and Andrews. What a shame that he was only on the show for a few weeks.
Speaker 2: No, we got.
Speaker 1: Him for good, or for least as long as the island finds him useful. He's easy on the eyes. Keep him around.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so yes, and we haven't had a flashback for him yet.
Speaker 1: We have not, Yes, we need that. I believe it's next week is Sawyer? The week after that is sayed okay, and uh As discussed the episode for next week with Sawyer. Uh Season one episode eight is called confidence Man. So we don't you know he's that it was referring to a con man? Or are they saying confidence man? Come on, be confident? Stop in such a little weasel yet up you can do this. There is no comment in the title, so I suppose it's the former, but little of the latter could do as well.
Speaker 2: But a little bit of that whole, like you know, him putting up front is a yes, show of lack of confidence somebody that.
Speaker 1: Is correct, that is he could use. He's just been so one note so far. So I'm happy that we're going to be getting some backstory on him that will maybe write and do these have we just discussed on this show? Has it been mentioned these folks ever shower?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: They water around and I bet one thing you could find in almost every suitcase on an airplane where people are going a long distance is a bar of soap or a bottle of body wash. Right, if he's hoarning them all, he does not appear to be using them. I mean he could, he could get some favors from the ladies by passing out the.
Speaker 2: Fruit taste, but some shampoo.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But it's just there's not been any I mean, there's waterfalls, there's ponds.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean there was the scene of Sun that's right taking a sort of sponge bath when Michael happened along and wasn't Son the one who taught Walt had a precious teeth or was that block I can't remember. Somebody did somebody taught?
Speaker 1: Are looking pretty sweaty? You know, maybe we need to organize a uh men's and ladies hygiene with some palm leaves, make a little shower and yeah, a little jug of water. I'm just saying, you know, there's no excuse for poor even being lost on.
Speaker 2: An island.
Speaker 1: When you're lost. So as a reminder, next week, we will be talking about lost on tuesdays from for now and for the next little bit while we're also watching only Murders in the Build, So don't get lost. Come listen on Tuesday and we will see you back here tomorrow for our weekly roundup. Thank you for listening. You can find all our episodes on spreaker, Apple Podcasts, Amazon Music, or wherever you get your podcasts. You can find recaps, links and an opportunity to comment on our website at parentingroundabout dot com.
Speaker 2: You can also talk to us on our Facebook page, on Instagram or on Twitter, where you'll find us at roundabout Chat. And please visit our Amazon shop at Amazon dot com, slash Shop, slash Mamitude, or you can find links to a lot of the things we've talked about over the years,