Speaker 1: The murder of Darius Jannezeuski was a chilling mystery, a cold case that seemed destined to remain unsolved until one detective absolutely refused to let it go. His name was Yannik Rabluvski, and he was relentless in his pursuit of truth until he finally uncovered a shocking connection between the crime and a dark, twisted novel written by an arrogant author. As he combed through the pages of the book, he realized that this author didn't just write a story. He had left behind a twisted, glorified confession inspired by his true murderous events.
Speaker 2: My name's Ben, I'm Nicole, and you're listening to Wicked and Grim, a true crime.
Speaker 1: Podcast material in more mature audience listener discretion.
Speaker 2: Is it.
Speaker 1: Happy Valentine's Day to everyone out there? Hopefully you're having a good day, no matter your situation.
Speaker 2: Mm hmmm, yeah, every day it can be a good day.
Speaker 1: Every Wow, that's just like super inspiring and motivational rate there is it? Yeah, just every day can be a good day.
Speaker 2: You know. Honestly, I was actually struggling for most of this year so far, but just this last week I feel like I've come out of my bubble a little bit, which is nice.
Speaker 1: That's really good, And I honestly, I think it's been a sentiment. A lot of people have shared that twenty twenty five has been a long year. Yeah, I've heard that from a few people. So if it's if that's the case for you, you're not alone, just keep swimming.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, yeah, really, that's all you can do, exactly. Yeah. I was a little hermit basically for most of the year so far.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, I know, because I live with you.
Speaker 2: Really, you don't say all I do say.
Speaker 1: But to be fair, I had some hermit tendencies too. I was not leaving the house for like the entirety of January.
Speaker 2: So yeah, but sometimes that's what winter's for too. But I also don't feel like I was really like recharging either, you know.
Speaker 1: So touche touche. You got to recharge one way or another. Yeah, And currently we're recharging with some nice hot beverages. I got my coffee, you've got your tea kind.
Speaker 2: Of tea tea I don't even know it's well, it's Mighty Leaf, which is like my favorite tea of all time. And I think it's like a hibiscus or something, okay, and it's so good I haven't been able to find it. And then London Drugs had one pack left, so I'm like, is that gonna be restocked or did I just like get my one chance?
Speaker 1: Oh wow?
Speaker 2: And now I'm just like powering through the box. So that's not great.
Speaker 1: There is steam billowing off that.
Speaker 2: Now does it make me look lovely?
Speaker 1: It's very cottage core that way. Sitting in your tiny home podcasting with your tea billowing steam. Yeah looks good. But so do you?
Speaker 2: Thank you?
Speaker 1: You're welcome. Anyways, enough of getting brownie points from my wife. I think I've stocked up enough for the day.
Speaker 2: Oh really, then you're good now.
Speaker 1: I think so I made you waffles this morning. I think we should get onto the case.
Speaker 2: Okay. Well I'm excited because I love ones that, like you just think they're not going to get solved, but they do. That is just the absolute best. And this case sounds wild.
Speaker 1: That's exactly what this was. Was a case that was, yeah, not going to get solved by looks of it, but it got solved and it is a very wild ride.
Speaker 2: Okay, so you ready, yeah.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, we may be in February right now, but we're taking it back to December. Okay, in two thousands, so we're like twenty five years ago, plus or minus two months whatever.
Speaker 2: I was just like, that's not that long ago. But God, when you said it was twenty five years ago, it's like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was We're aging. So on a cold December day in the year two thousand three, friends were out on a quiet stretch of the Odin River doing some fishing in the southwestern area of Poland when something in the water caught their attention. At first, it looked like a large log drifting along the current, but as one of them got closer, he noticed some strands of hair floating on the surface.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, it's either fucking fishermen or people taking their dogs for a damn walk.
Speaker 1: That's pretty much it. Yeah, if it's water, it's a fisherman. If it's landed, someone walking their dog. As he was looking at this, really processing what he was seeing, another fisherman gave it a poke with his rod and that's when together they realized that this wasn't a piece of wood. It was a man's body floating in the water. Police arrived quickly and pulled the remains from the icy waters. Right away. It was obvious that this wasn't some tragic accident. The man was barely clothed only sweatshirt and underwear, and his body showed clear signs of violence. A noose in particular, was wrapped around his neck, and his hands were tied behind his back. Even more chilling, investigators saw that the same rope had been connected from the rope to the wrists the rope to the neck. So he has his hands tied behind his back and it's linked to a noose around his neck.
Speaker 2: Oh wow.
Speaker 1: So this meant that any attempt to struggle and pull and free his hands would tighten the noose around his neck.
Speaker 2: Holy shit.
Speaker 1: As horrifying as that was, the autopsy made things even worse. The victim's stomach was nearly empty, suggesting that he had been starved for days before his death, and most disturbingly, water was found in his lungs, which meant that he had still been alive when he was thrown into the river.
Speaker 2: Okay, that sounds like just a terrible, terrible deaths.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The brutality of this crime sent shockwaves through the community and police launched a large scale investigation, and it didn't take long for them to make an important connection. Just a few weeks earlier, a man who looked strikingly similar had been reporting missing. When the compared records, the victim was confirmed to be Darius Janezuski, a thirty five year old businessman from Warklaw. Now, I do want to say, this is a Polish story. We're in Poland here, so my pronunciations are going to be way off, but I'm going to do my best in my Canadian accent.
Speaker 2: So you always do your best.
Speaker 1: Thank you. I appreciate it. I do so. Darius had vanished on November thirteenth, in the year two thousand, after leaving his advertising firm to meet a client. When he didn't come home that night and wasn't answering his phone, his wife grew worried and reported him missing the next day. Investigators immediately began digging into Darius's life, hoping to find a lead, but frustratingly, nothing about him suggested a motive for murder. He wasn't in debt, he had no criminal connections, and was well liked by everyone who knew him. He played in a rock band and was devoted to his work and had been working on his marriage. He and his wife were even in the process of adopting a child when he disappeared.
Speaker 2: Wow, yeah, as you were describing like, it doesn't sound like your typical victim at all.
Speaker 1: No. Now, with no obvious enemies, police turned their attention to the crime scene. Divers searched the freezing river, and forensic teams combed the nearby forest, but nothing useful turned up. Months passed with no real progression, and by the summer of two thousand and one, authorities announced that they were closing the case, having run out of leeds. Whoever had done this had pulled off the perfect crime.
Speaker 2: When were they? When did they decide to close it?
Speaker 1: Sorry in the summer of two thousand and one, a year and a half later, basically okay, yeah. For nearly three years, the case sat in cold storage, collecting dust until it landed on the desk of a man who refused to let this case go. That man was Yannick Warblowski. By the fall of two thousand and three, Yanik was a thirty eight year old detective with nearly a decade on the police force. He hadn't always planned to be a comp He dabbled in other careers when he was younger, but once he joined the law enforcement he realized the work suited him. He had a natural drive to track down criminals, but for him, solving crimes wasn't just about putting bad guys behind bars. He was fascinated with the criminal mind, always trying to understand what made people tick. In fact, when he wasn't working or spending time with his family, he was studying psychology at a local university. Like many others in the area, he had heard about Darius's murder, but he had never looked at the full case file until now. As he started digging through the old reports, one piece of evidence caught his attention. A strange phone call made to Darius's office on the morning that he disappeared. The call had been answered by Darius's mother, who worked as a bookkeeper at his small ads advertising firm. The man on the other end had a professional sounding voice and asked Darius for Darius by name. He claimed that he needed a rush job done of three signs, including a large billboard, but when she pressed for more details, the caller was vague, saying that he would only really discuss a project directly with Darius Now. At the time, Darius's mother hadn't thought much of it. She simply told a man that her son wasn't in the office, but he could be reached by his cell phone, and as soon as she gave him the number, the man hung up without introducing himself for saying anything else. Later that day, she mentioned the call to her son. He confirmed that he spoke to this man or this client and was planning to meet with him that afternoon. But that was the last time anyone heard from Darius.
Speaker 2: Wow, I wonder why he was like scoping this guy out like this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, maybe we'll know, maybe we'll find out. Maybe let's keep diving in. So Yanick decided to revisit this lead, and when he pulled the phone records, something unusual stood out. Both calls, the one in the office and the one on Darius's cell phone, had been placed from some public payphone, in fact, the very same one that was just located down the street from the advertising firm. The second call had come in less than a minute after the first, which explained the background noise Darius's mother had noticed. Unfortunately, that's where the lead went cold. The payphone was in a public area, meaning anyone could have used it.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: Investigators at the time had hit a dead end, so they decided they could do nothing more then move on. But as Janik kept reading, two more details from the original investigation jumped out at him. The first came from a receptionist working in the same building as Darius's firm. She had seen him leaving the office around four pm, and as he was walking down the street, she noticed two men walking behind him. She hadn't thought much of it at the time, and unfortunately she couldn't describe either of the men either. The second odd detail was Darius's car. When police began searching for him after he had disappeared, they found it still parked outside his office. That didn't make much sense. Friends and coworkers said he always drove to client meetings, yet for some reason his car was left behind that day. Something just wasn't right. Yannick had a strong gut feeling that this murder wasn't random. The level of brutality suggested something deeply personal, not just a crime of opportunity. There were a few key details that reinforced this theory. For one, investigators learned from Darius his wife that he always carried credit card and bank cards with him, yet none of these had been used after his disappearance, which ruled out it was done for a robbery mode. Yep. Then there was the fact that Darius had been found nearly naked, wearing only a sweatshirt and underwear. Janick suspected that this wasn't just by chance. He believed the killer had deliberately stripped him to degrade him and humiliate him. But perhaps the most unsettling clue was the phone call that lured Darius to his final meeting. Everything about it just suggested that the crime had been planned and advanced. Everything down to the smallest details seemed to be planned out. Still, like the investigators before him, Yanick found himself stuck. There was no clear suspect and nothing pointed in any particular direction, but he wasn't going to let it go. He pored over the case file again and again and again, convinced that there was something that he was missing. Eventually, an idea came to him. While reviewing the details of the phone call. He remembered something crucial. Darius's phone. His cell phone had never been found. The original investigators had tried to trace the mysterious calls from the payphone, but hit a dead end, and as far as Yanik could tell, no one had ever tried to track Darius's missing phone itself. Now there was a reason for that. At the time of the murder, Poland's telecommunication technology was still lagging behind much of Europe, and police departments often lacked the resources to really track mobile phones or online activity. Many law enforcement agencies were simply not equipped for digital investigations. But by the time that Yanik revisited the case in two thousand and three, things had started to change. The police department had recently brought in a telecommunication specialist, and Yanik himself had developed an interest in new forensic techniques, so he reached out to the expert and he asked if there was a way to trace Darius's phone. At first, the results weren't promising. The phone had never been used again after Darius's disappearance, but Yanick again wasn't ready to give up. He knew that cell phones had unique serial numbers on them, which meant that if the phone had been resold or reactivated, there might be a record of it somewhere, so he reached out to Darius's widow, hoping that she might have the original receipt or paperwork. She did.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, I am just so loving listening to this because this guy is just like I love when people they have a task in mind and they're just gonna do it, Like he's gonna solve this fucking case.
Speaker 1: That's exactly the situation. Yannick was like, no, I don't care, like I love that. Yeah, it didn't matter what answer he got. He was going to dig deeper regardless, like.
Speaker 2: So good, so just so good at his job, like oh and taking it to the next level really, like I just love that.
Speaker 1: So once he got the serial number, he used it and he managed to track down a sales record.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, here we go.
Speaker 1: So four days after Darius had had gone missing, his phone had been sold on an internet auction site called Allegro, which is essentially Poland's version of eBay. So the seller's user name once he looked it up, according to the account that had sold the item was Chris B. Seven. Further investigation soon uncovered that the owner of that account was an individual by the name of Christian.
Speaker 2: Balah Oh my gosh, okay, this is a big, big break. Really, I feel like massive. So.
Speaker 1: Christian was thirty years old, originally from Chungjao, Poland. Like many others, he had struggled to find his footing after the collapse of the Soviet Union. He dabbled in various business ventures, mostly as a way to support his wife Stasia and their young son. Now, Christian's true passion had never been business, though, it was philosophy. While studying at university, he was known as one of the brightest students in his department, priding himself on his intellectual and deep abstract thinking. He saw himself as someone above the ordinary, someone who understood the world on a level that others could never But despite his academic promise, he never finished his PhD. Instead, he left school to start a business, which, as a turn out, was short lived. Now by the late nineteen nineties, Christian's life was in a free fall. His business went bankrupt just a couple of years after it started. His marriage had crumbled. He and his wife Stacia had split up. But it wasn't just financial troubles that tore them apart. His chronic infidelity played a much bigger role.
Speaker 2: That would do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, with nothing tying him down, Christian left Poland altogether, traveling first to the United States and then to Asia, where he spent time teaching English and working as a scuba diver instructor. Now, when Yannick first started looking into him, he wasn't convinced that Christian had anything to do with Darius's murder. He considered the possibility that Christian had simply just found the phone somewhere before selling it online. After all, if someone had gone through the trouble of planning such a meticulous crime, why on earth would they turn around and sell the evidence in such an obvious way? Yeah, no, less using a username that clearly was a play on their own name, because the username was Chris B seven. Right, But it's Chris spelled with a C C h ris and Christian is spelt k r y s t I A N. So it's similar names but spelt differently in stuff. But even still, the parallels Christian Bala Chris b it's really similar.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So Christian didn't exactly look the part of a sadistic killer either. On the surface, he seemed more like an absent minded professor than a murderer. But yeah, it had nothing else to go on, so he kept digging. That's when he stumbled on something that changed everything. Early in two thousand and three, Christian had published a novel, something that apparently he had dreamed of doing for years. The book was called a Muck like running Amuck.
Speaker 2: You know, yeah, okah.
Speaker 1: It was almost impossible to find stock only stocked only in like obscure bookstores, often hidden away on high shelves. Not a whole lot of it was printed sort of thing.
Speaker 2: Oh, it wasn't like really a popular book.
Speaker 1: No, definitely not. Owners of bookstores weren't exactly eager to advertise it like that sort of thing. Okay, So when Yanik got his hands on a copy, he quickly understood why owners weren't exactly wanting to advertise it, and why it was so obscure. A mock wasn't just dark, It was disturbing on a whole other level. The novel followed a protagonist whose name was Chris with a C, as he descended into a spree of completely or complete depravity, let's put it that way, indulging in excessive drinking, drug use and violence, and degrading relationships with women. The story's climax with Chris involved him murdering his girlfriend. But it wasn't just the violence that was unsettling to Yanick. It was the way Christian's personal philosophy bled into the story. Throughout the books repeatedly argued that truth is an illusion, that mortality is meaningless, and that he was somehow above the rules that governed ordinary people. At first, the Bookamuk could have been a work of just deliberate provocation, designed to shock and challenge readers. But the deeper Yannick went, the more convinced he became that there was something else buried within these pages. So over the next two years, Yannik became obsessed with the novel, reading it over and over again, page by page, combing through every passage, compiling notes, drawing connections. Half detective, half literary critic. At this point, the first thing that stood out was how much Christian and the main character of the book, Chris, had in common. Both were separate from their wives due to womanizing, let's put it, both had drinking problems, both had run failed businesses. Even specific incidents from Christian's real life made it into the book, like the time that he and a friend were arrested for stealing a statue of Saint Anthony from a church while on a drunken bender. Sounds like a fun night, but kids don't go stealing, especially for churches like Wow. Anyways, that alone wasn't enough though, Like plenty of authors pull from their own experiences when writing books, so it's not abnormal to say. But then came the real red flags. Certain details in a Muck echoed Darius's murder in ways that were almost impossible to ignore. Near the end of the book, Chris murders his girlfriend and places a noose around her neck. Even the details that weren't exact matches in this real life crime scene, though, were too close for comfort for Yannick's mind. For example, in the book, Chris used a Japanese knife during the murder like to stab his victim, while Darius had not been stabbed at all. The idea the killer using and then disposing a weapon, though, did stick out because later in the book, the protagonist Chris is described by getting rid of the murder weapon by selling it on an internet auction site.
Speaker 2: Oh shit, yeah.
Speaker 1: Extremely similar to what Christian had actually done with Darius's cell. Phone, so Yannick was convinced he found his man Wow, but he knew that circumstantial evidence wasn't enough. He needed hard proof if he was going to be finally getting a conviction in court. As he continued digging, he found one more chilling piece of information. Just one month before Darius went missing, Christian had logged into Allegro, the same auction site where he later sold the victim's phone, But this time he wasn't selling anything. In fact, he was looking at a very specific listing to purchase a police manual on how to distinguish between accidental, self inflicted and criminal hangings.
Speaker 2: Huh okay.
Speaker 1: The manual also describe various ways to tie in noose, a method very eaerily similar to the one used in Darius's murder. Now, ultimately, Christian never purchased that book, at least not from that website, and there's no record of but to Yanik, the fact that he was even looking at it was very telling. It felt like yet another clue pointing to a premeditated murder. By the fall of two thousand and five, Yanick decided it was time to act. He learned that Christian was planning to return to Poland to visit his parents for the first time in years, so he saw his chance. On that afternoon of September fifth, Christian was arrested. When Yanick finally got the chance to interrogate him, Christian denied everything, of course, so with no confession and only circumstantial evidence, the prosecution struggled to make a case. When Christian went to court, the judge determined that there wasn't enough proof to charge him with the murder shit.
Speaker 2: But also, he's probably shaken in his boots because I am certain that at that point he thought that he did the perfect murder, got away with it kind of thing, right.
Speaker 1: Probably now. He was though, convicted on two minor charges selling stolen property which was Darius's phone, and apparently an unrelated bribery charge that I'm not too sure where that came from. But regardless, neither of them carried any jail time unfortunately. Okay, So after his release, Christian went on the offensive. He accused police of police brutality during his arrest and claimed that he was being persecuted for his art. The book Amok, he insisted, was nothing more than a work of fiction and he had nothing to do with the murder of Darius. Many members of the public agreed, shifting their anger away from Christian and towards the police, criticizing them for what looked like a week and cer substantial case. So Christian now had the public on his side.
Speaker 2: Okay, what the shit, because if they knew how much effort and work that this one detective was putting into this, I don't think they would think that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's very possible. Now despite the setback, though, Yannick saw a silver lining in this whole thing. See, Christian's charges were enough to keep him in the country. As part of his sentence, he was required to surrender his passport, meaning he couldn't leave Poland while the investigation continued.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's good.
Speaker 1: And more importantly, that passport would end up leading to another major break in the case.
Speaker 2: I'm kind of thinking that he maybe did another murder.
Speaker 1: Well let me tell you here, Okay. So among the evidence Yanick had been reviewing was an old segment from a Polish true crime show called nine to nine seven, essentially Poland's version of like America's Most Wanted sort of thing. Okay, yeah, Now, in early two thousand, the show had aired a feature on Darius's case, and shortly after an update was posted to the show's website. Now at the time, Yanick had noticed that people were visiting the site from all over the world, including US, Japan, South Korea. That seemed odd to him until he got his hands on Christian's passport. By cross referencing the travel stamps on Christian's passport with the website visitor logs, Yanick realized something shocking. Each of the international page visits matched the exact location Christian had traveled to at the time. So to Yanik, this was damning evidence. Christian had been closely following the investigation from abroad, even years after the murder had taken place. O, so he's keeping up on seeing if there's any developments in everything.
Speaker 2: Yes, so it's very much so on his mind. He is maybe not quite settled in thinking that he got away with this.
Speaker 1: Then, right, you're sitting here thinking, okay, so we have this video in the Polish language. You know for those in Poland, right, not much of the world really speaks Polish. You're not going to find someone in Japan specifically knowing this case and checking the website, and you know, US and South Korea, like all these places. It's odd to specifically be checking up on this one language on this one website. Yeah, it's not really a universal language, you know, right, No, that makes sense. It's not to say it's not possible, because I mean, there are definitely Polish speaking individuals all across the world. But it's unlikely.
Speaker 2: But yeah, it's like numerous places and stuff. So I don't know, it makes sense, Like it doesn't make sense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's one of those circumstantial evidences.
Speaker 2: Yeah, again it's not enough. Again, I feel like exactly.
Speaker 1: So while he was making this discovery, while Yannick was drawing this conclusion, drawing the lines between these two, his team actually found something even bigger. They decided to examined the phone records from Darius's cell phone from when he disappeared. Now at this time, they caught something that had been missed before. The mysterious payphone calls, the ones that you know, we're going to his office and then a cell phone have been placed using a phone card. And those cards, each one was encoded with a unique number that registered with a phone company every time it was used. Investigators trace the remaining call history linked to that phone card. They couldn't exactly link it to a specific phone number or phone or anything like that. However, they were able to identify the outgoing phone calls from that phone card, and nearly all of them have been made to Christian's family and friends.
Speaker 2: Jang Okay, Yeah.
Speaker 1: So when you look at your phone history on your personal phone, that's what they were able to see because it's basically saying, oh, it's made from this phone card and we can see who you've been calling.
Speaker 2: I feel like that's such a big miss for like the original investigation, but also this frickin piece of shit that has done this to not like think that you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so this was arguably the most damning evidence yet, but Yanik refused to repeat his past mistakes. The first time he arrested Christian, the case had crumbled under scrutiny. This time, he was determined to build an airtight case before making.
Speaker 2: His move when he has some more time too, being that he's like stuck.
Speaker 1: Exactly, He's stuck and stuck in Poland. He can't leave the country. So the biggest missing piece was still the motive. There was plenty of circumstantial evidence, but nothing that explained why Christian would have gone to such extreme lengths to kill Darius. To find answers, Yanick went back at the beginning, interviewing more people from Christian's past. This time, a much darker side of Christian emerged. While Christian liked to portray himself as a free spirited intellectual, you know, like a brilliant yet tormented ladies man, like that sort of thing, right, That's what he saw himself as, those who knew him described him somewhat differently. They panted a picture of a jealous, controlling husband who lashed on to anyone he suspected of getting too close to his wife Stasia. At one point, Christian had even tried to fight a bartender simply because he thought the man was flirting with her. One of Christian's friends later told police that he had been running a muck, a phrase that Yannik now believed had inspired the title of.
Speaker 2: His liah Okay, yeah, yeah, huh running a muck.
Speaker 1: Even more disturbing was a statement from a witness at the bar that night. This person claimed that they had heard Christian say something chilling quote, I've already dealt with one guy who tried to hit on my wife.
Speaker 2: Okay, so here's the correlation.
Speaker 1: Maybe then, Yeah, now this statement had been made just weeks after Darius's body was found.
Speaker 2: Okay, holy shit, this guy is just like such a piece of work.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he really is, especially when you break it down.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So, now that jealousy was established as the likely motive, the last thing Yanick needed was proof that Christian and Darius had crossed paths, right to say for sure that, hey, you know, he's jealous, but he's specifically jealous because his wife was involved with Darius or something in some way or that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that him and his wife had crossed paths. Yea more so. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So the final link came from one of Stasia's friends. She recalled that during the summer of the year two thousand, she and Stasia had gone to a night club called Crazy Horse for a night out. Stasia had been struggling after her separation from Christian and was trying to move on. That night, she met a man, a man with long, dark hair and blue eyes. He too was dealing with marital problems. His name was Darius Annezeus.
Speaker 2: Hmm, there we go.
Speaker 1: The two talked for a while, exchanged numbers, and eventually arranged to go on a date. With this new evidence, Yannik went straight to Stassia to talk to her. Now. Earlier, she had refused to cooperate with investigators, you know, before and wanting, not wanting to answer any questions. But this time she was willing. It's not clear exactly why she was now willing to work with police, but she was, and she confirmed everything.
Speaker 2: Maybe she even felt like she was in a safer spot, like away from her ax or something.
Speaker 1: Right potentially, so, not only had she met Darius at this nightclub, but the two had actually got on a date, nothing serious that they ever developed, and Darius soon reconciled with his wife. And you know, these two, Stassy and Darius kind of went their separate ways as he was now rebuilding.
Speaker 2: His marriage, right right, Yeah, But.
Speaker 1: Just weeks later, Christian showed up at Stasia's apartment in a drunken rage. He accused her of having an affair, claiming he had hired a private investigator who had told him everything about her meeting with Darius.
Speaker 2: Oh no, so I feel like she would have known, She would have known prior to.
Speaker 1: Well, she may have, but she never came forward with this information apparently because she asked Christian about it and he denied any involvement, and she never thought he would ever have been able to be capable of murder. Okay, so she thought there's just no way.
Speaker 2: And that his story was believable to her. Basically, yeah, yeah, okay.
Speaker 1: So this final conversation, though, connected all the dots for Yanick. Not only did it provide a motive, but also gave a new insight into a passage from the book A monk that always troubled Yanick. That line read quote, this was the one killed by blind jealousy. To Yanick, this wasn't just some dark passage in his disturbing book. This was a confession.
Speaker 2: And he you know, the thing is, he knew this book, probably inside and out. He studied it for like two years. He probably knew it more than the writer exactly.
Speaker 1: With the case finally complete, Christian's home was raided and he was arrested once again. By the time he went to trial in February of two thousand and seven, the case was front page news all across Poland. The idea of a philosopher turned writer who confessed the murder in a novel was so sensational that it even boosted sales of the book A mouck.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, I hate that part.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The biggest shock came when police examined Christian's laptop, which they had seized during the raid. On the device, investigators found a password protected file titled amuck Amuck Okay. Inside were graphic descriptions of Christian's sexual encounters with more than seventy women and written in the same language and style used by Chris, the protagonist in the novel, further proving that, you know, Chris in the book was Christian in real life. But that wasn't even the most disturbing discovery. In another cryptic document, police found something even more unsettling, evidence that Christian had been planning another murder.
Speaker 2: Okay, wow, thank god for this guy's effort.
Speaker 1: Yeah, his new intended target was a man by the name of Harry Stasia's new boyfriend.
Speaker 2: Seriously, he still had this like jealous rage yepof now.
Speaker 1: In the end, Christian was convicted of murder of Darius and sentenced to twenty five years in prison.
Speaker 2: Wow. Well, and I have to just say good thing that like she came forward, she just saved her new boyfriend or was right.
Speaker 1: Now, After a few weeks, Christian was granted a retrial on the grounds that there were still apparently and allegedly some gaps in the evidence. But when he was retried a year later, the outcome was the same. He was found guilty.
Speaker 2: Good. I mean, there may be some gaps, but like I've we've reported on or talked about other cases where the gaps are like far more I feel like, and they're still convicted exactly.
Speaker 1: So, to this day, Christian Bala denies any involvement in Darius's murder, but he will remain locked up and serve his time.
Speaker 2: Okay, of course he does. Of course he does.
Speaker 1: I know, right, Like, huh, what a dick?
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I can't believe that that that he goes to that extent when like they weren't even together, you know, I know, he could be putting his effort into maybe trying to get back together with her in like a more what would be the word healthy way there you go, healthy way? Yes, uh, but.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is the story of Darius Yanezuski and the terrible author by the name of Christian Bala. Now, allegedly, as I was reading I did discover that that he was apparently planning on a second book. Much of that transcript was seized by police when they raided his place. I stopped reading because I'm like, you know what, I don't need to know more about his book. If he is trying to come up with a second one, if he's going to come out with the second one, don't read it. Don't read his book. Amuck either. Fuck this guy. Yeah, he's a complete douche.
Speaker 2: I also feel like this is such a story too of Okay, what was his name? Sorry? The investigator here?
Speaker 1: Yannick?
Speaker 2: Yannick, Like just like being a badass really and like doing your job to just new levels.
Speaker 1: Honestly, I think you're right. Do you want to do the honors and name him the sure?
Speaker 2: I think yeah, he should be the badass of the day for sure. I agree, because he honestly saved like Harry's life, He really did, so he saved a man and like, yeah, I don't know, he just never gave up, and I just I love that. And he probably had faced so much diversity too. I'm assuming where people are like we've already like go on through this, like it's done. It's not going to be solved. And he was like, no, like adversity, Oh you said diversity, Okay, adversity. Sorry, He's like, but he's like, no, well, we're solving this case like it's happening.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that's awesome. He dedicated years, years to figuring it out. Honestly, it was not the perfect fucking crime, like you sold the fucking cell phone? Like, no, don't get dumb ass.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, that part is pretty stupid. Really it was.
Speaker 1: If it wasn't for that, I honestly I believe that the connection would never have been made.
Speaker 2: But I mean they did miss that the first time. So it just took this individual that was very determined, you know, to solve this. Oh yeah, for sure, because the first time they did miss that.
Speaker 1: So well, I agree. No, Yannick went above and beyond and because of him to think of tracing the serial number on the phone to see if it had been sold. Genius fucking move.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but if he.
Speaker 1: Didn't find anything, if the cell phone was never sold and it was destroyed, that probably would have been the end of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if it was like thrown in the water. But I do feel like, well, no, because he might have found it in the water touche. But I do feel like he probably if especially if he was planning to do this other murder, you know, he probably would have gotten caught for that one.
Speaker 1: He probably would have, I have a feeling.
Speaker 2: But still one more life would have been taken, right, So yeah, Wow, what a story. That One's pretty It keeps you on the edge of your seat for sure.
Speaker 1: Doesn't it. So yeah, Yannick, you're the badass of the day, and Christian you're ther the douche canoe of the day.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, and then poor Darius too, right, Yeah, I had to lose his life because he didn't deserve that whatsoever. He literally went on a date with someone.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and didn't pursue them after that, he just worked on his marriage with yeah instead.
Speaker 2: So that is that's pretty fucked up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So thank you guys for being here. Hopefully you enjoyed this story today. If you want to check out any of our links, they are in the description of this podcast, including social media's website you name it. If you want to give the show a rating. We are an independent podcast. We're research produced, recorded all on our own here in our little tiny home. And a review from you really goes a long way. So if I may suggest five stars, hey you know what you do? You though?
Speaker 2: You do you with your five star rating?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you do you. If you want to give us four stars, I mean my heart will break a little bit, but you do you. If you want to give us one star, my heart will break a little more. But hey, I appreciate honesty.
Speaker 2: So well, yeah, as long as it's it's like, what is the word constructive? Constructive? I was like criticism, but constructive criticism, then you know, it's like then you can like improve on that.
Speaker 1: We've had reviews before people are just like you, guys, suck. That's very constructive. Thank you, Like you know what, all right, our show isn't for you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's just like find a new show. Really.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but yeah, if you honestly do have constructive criticism, we're not opposed to hearing that. But yeah, give us your review and we'd really appreciate that. It goes a long way, sure does.
Speaker 2: So okay, Well, Happy Valentine, stay and until next week, stay wicked.