Speaker 1: Now your host for playoff Dodger Toss sound Off Angelinos David Vasse.
Speaker 2: We are live at Peco Park in San Diego after the Dodgers force a Game five in the NLDS with an eight nothing shutout victory over the San Diego Padres. David Vase live in San Diego, taking your phone calls until eleven o'clock and we do have phone lines open at eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy. And I'm not a guy that likes to say I told you so, but I did tell you so at the beginning of this series. This was going to be a five game battle between the Dodgers and Padres, the hottest team since the All Star Break against the team that has a lot of talent and had the best record in all of Major League Baseball for the full regular season. And I did tell you that this team had more fight and resolve than any of the last two Dodger teams. And they proved it tonight. And I love Gavin Lux letting us in on the Dodgers having a text thread where they were encouraging each other last night to not show up to the ballpark and lay down. They did not lay down tonight, and I love that Mookie Betts has made a statement to all the critics coming up with another big home run in the first inning that was huge for the Dodgers, and even bigger for the Dodgers was that they tacked on runs in the second and third innings. Will Smith, who came into the game tonight without a hit in the NLDS, hit a big two run home run in the third inning. So the Dodgers had a five to nothing lead after three innings tonight. It's a lot easier to navigate the script of a bullpen game when you're playing with a five run lead that early in the game. It could not have gone better to script for the Dodgers than to have a five nothing lead after three innings for Dave Roberts to deploy his eight relievers. And he was deploying his high leverage relievers as he promised early in the game. From Ryan Brazier, who not only opened the game but came back out for the second inning to get an out, to Anthony Bonda, to Michael Kopek, to Alex Vesia, who almost pitched two innings tonight. Evan Phillips came in Daniel Hudson, Blake Trinin, and Landon Nack. So the Dodgers were able to navigate a bullpen game with a five to nothing early lead, and they go on to beat the Padres in Game four of the NLDS by a final score of eight to nothing. And I know on Twitter everybody was freaking out that I was jinxing the Dodgers after the second inning and having that type of leader after that third inning and having that lead, you had a five to nothing lead, you saw the Dodgers the way they came out to play. I was very confident, and that's the reason why I said and offered advice to any Padre fans that hey, if you want to come back to La, the surf liner is a very convenient way to do so. The only inning that I thought was maybe going to change the momentum of this game was in the fifth inning when Alex Vesia came back out for a second inning of work and couldn't get the two lefties to start that inning. Evan Phillips came in. He had to get Fernando Tattis Junior out with two men on and two out, and he was able to do so. Vessia also, to his credit, was able to get Luisa Rise to fly out to left field, so that helped out as well. After that fifth inning, I'd never felt the Padres had another threat the rest of the game, and all of a sudden now since the second inning of last night, the Dodgers now have shut down this Padres offense for the last fifteen innings. Eight six, six, nine, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's head downstairs right now to hear from manager Dave Roberts.
Speaker 3: Hey, Dave, do you have a game five starter yet?
Speaker 4: No, we don't, you know. Fortunately, tonight we were very efficient as far as our pen, which was great, So we've got some options. I think that, you know, we could run the same playbook back and run a bullpen game. We can start Jack, we could start Yoshinobu. So I think that tomorrow we've got to work out from four to six and it'll give us a chance to kind of talk to the reliever and see everybody's feeling. But right now, no game five starter.
Speaker 3: I mean, given how well the bullpen pitched today and given how much they've hit your starters, is the bullpen game? You think kind of the favorite.
Speaker 4: Well it's a good thought, I mean obviously clearly, but you know, just kind of knowing their efficient, but also just checking in on those guys to see how they feel tomorrow. It was kind of the thing we want to make sure before I make a decision.
Speaker 3: And the efficiency obviously not just in terms of helping you out for game five, but the way it kind of helped you run these innings right, I mean, Bessie, I got through the fourth really quick, and guessing that helped them get out for right the next inning, I think like Phillips Hudson through nine ten pitches. How did that kind of help?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it helped. I mean I think that overall the guys were efficient understanding that you know they're gonna have to do updowns go a little bit longer potentially, So the efficiency efficiency the strike throne was huge, and again it just gives us options for game five.
Speaker 3: Did you have any thoughts of staying away from trying and after the game kind of opened up this.
Speaker 4: No, No, I didn't. He hadn't pitched three days. It was the top of the order, and you know, when you're in an elimination game, you know I wanted to shorten the game. And it was good to see Land and Takedown in inning, which was very helpful.
Speaker 3: You know, I know, before Ohtany got here, right, you used to like to say a lot you know, his Mookie goes to Dodger goods go how big has he been? You know, the last two days here.
Speaker 4: Because Mookie, Mookie has been big. Obviously, we got a lot of good players, but it's not on one player, clearly, and today Mookie shine. Last night Mookie shined, and today Will had a big hit. So that's a great thing about having good players, and you know, they don't need to do anything more than they're capable of and just kind of do what their potential, their their abilities allow for. And that's what they did tonight.
Speaker 2: All Right, there's manager Dave Roberts after the Dodgers force a game five using eight different pitchers in a bullpen game. And do you hear that? Yeah, those are the critics that are quiet tonight after the way Mookie Bets played last night and tonight. Mookie Bets deserves as much credit as he got criticism for the first two games of the series. With the way he has played in the last two games of this series, and I'm glad. Dave Roberts said he had not made a decision for a Game five starting pitcher Yoshi Yamamoto. He's a great young pitcher, only twenty five years old. He has pitched in big games on the international stage. But for me, I would love to have a veteran Major League starter pitching for the Dodgers in Game five. Also, the Padres have seen Yamamoto a lot this year, and they haven't missed in two regular season games plus Game one of the NLDS where Yamamoto was knocked out after three innings. The Padres and nine innings of work from Yamamoto, have scored thirteen runs against him. They have thirteen hits and three home runs. Yamamoto only has nine strikeouts and four walks. I'll say that again, Yamamoto against the Padres nine innings of work in three games started, he has given up thirteen earned runs. I would love to see the Dodgers hold Yamamoto back for a Game one of the NLCS and throw Jack Flaherty against the Padres in Game five for those reasons. For whatever reason, the Padres see Yamamoto really well, and he's twenty five years old. He hasn't been on this stage, and maybe it is a better matchup for him to start Game one of the NLCS against the Mets. And you might say, well, who knows if there is a Game one of the NLCS. Well, quite honestly, I don't want to see Yamamoto face the Padres again. I don't feel like he gives you the best chance to win in a Game five winner take all to advance to play the New York Mets, who eliminated the Phillies tonight in the NLDS of their Dream season. Eight six six nine eighty seven, two five seventy is the phone number. Let's start out in downtown with Manny. You're on Dodger Talk. Hi, Manny, Hey.
Speaker 5: David, what's going on? What a difference one awesome game makes and changes the way everyone's feeling now? And here we go, We're going into Game five on Friday. Something I wanted to bring up on it aga a shout out to the entire bullpen. They stuck together and they really really pretty much broke down the Padres hitters. They look lifeless out there, no energy. It just seems like the momentum has completely shifted.
Speaker 6: We got the guys.
Speaker 5: I feel like the Dodgers took this one a little bit personal. With everything that's been going on, with the fans getting involved, I felt like they had to take over the whole situation of what's been happening and what I feel like Padres have been trying to, you know, control the whole story.
Speaker 2: But here we go with guys, Manny. They don't want to lose. To these guys. That's the statement they made, not to you, not to me, but to themselves and to that other dugout. That's what it comes down to. Neither one of these teams at this point like each other, and neither one really wants to go home because of the other team. And that's especially the Dodgers. That's happened once already. They don't want it to happen again. Thanks for the phone call, Manny, and their superstars don't want it to happen. You saw the fire in Ota when he drove in a run in the second inning. You saw the fire of Mookie Beds after his home run. This entire team was accountable to each other, and they planted their feet and stood firm tonight in a hostile environment and forced a game five, and it was great to see keyk Hernandez in the starting lineup. There's an air of confidence with him in the starting lineup, and I could tell you before the game, staff and coaches were really excited that he was in the starting lineup tonight. And here's Key k Hernandez on sports at La Muki.
Speaker 7: I think we talked about earlier how important it was for us to go to lead early. Moki did just that. Brasier's first inning one two three was huge. I felt like the moment was sustain on our side. Second inning, you know, being able to rally against against season, getting him out of the game early was incredibly huge. Being able to add on two more runs in the second inning and get a three run lead pretty much what they did both games at our place, uh, was was huge. In the bullpen again, another shut down inning in the second inning, and then the third inning we were able to add two more and then another shut down inning, and from there on it kind of felt like the bullpen took took over, and uh you know, we were able to keep adding adding on some runs, especially late in the game, and uh you know, we had a we had a very complete game.
Speaker 3: As an offense.
Speaker 7: Uh, anywhere from you know, rallying, going station in the station, walking, slugging and even you know, even bunning bunting a run in. Uh that was that was huge. But uh, all the credit tonight, all the credits should go to our bullpen because they changed the game.
Speaker 6: We would say about you guys that are just sort of have that sort of about an elimination game, especially with Freddy Spacecrafts in the line up late just be able.
Speaker 8: To pull this off. H.
Speaker 7: I mean, I don't know what it says. Honestly, did we? I mean we were very injured all year. Somehow we had the best recommended league and you know, we we I feel like tonight was just like an example of what this team is capable of doing.
Speaker 9: Uh.
Speaker 7: The fact that we did it without Freddy and me was just a bonus. But I feel like we have a very deep team overall, and tonight showed all.
Speaker 2: Right. There is Key k Hernandez on sports and at LA. Like I said, there was no statement made to you, to me, to the media. The statement was made to each other, and the Dodgers held each other accountable and came out and delivered. You could talk all you want, but if you don't perform on the field, you were going home. And that was a big statement to each other and a statement that the Dodgers are different than what they were the last two seasons, because, you know, being down in a series or being down in a game like they were last night, it wasn't the same vibe. It felt like they kind of just gave up. But that's not the sense I got from this team going into the postseason, and it certainly wasn't the sense I got from them when I saw them fight back after being down six to one last night. Let's go out to Rancho Kuckamonga. Mike, you're on Dodger Talk with David vasse Hi.
Speaker 10: Mike, Hey, Davey, I just want to say I appreciate you taking my call, and I appreciate all the hard work that you do allowing us to express ourselves and and you know, the long hours that you put in to glide of his Dodger inside. I definitely appreciate that. For my points, got to give Dave Roberts's flowers. I'm a big Dave Roberts critic, so you know, today he made the right he made the right calls, He put the people the pictures in the right positions to be successful. But of course he's not on the field, so you got to give you know, you got to give kudos to the one through nine, to our bullpen. I mean, what a game, like you said, you know, way to show the fight. I'm very excited to see what happens on Friday. And I just wanted to Yeah, I just wanted to appreciate my give my gratitude to you. Uh and and let's go Dodgers.
Speaker 2: Thank you for the phone call. No gratitude needed, but I appreciate the word for sure. And I love doing this. Beats doing a job for a living, but it's really fun. And obviously being at the ballpark for as many hours as we are every day, and we just obviously you have to have a passion for this, and we certainly have a passion for the Dodgers, and they repaid us all tonight with their effort tonight. For a team, by the way, like the Padres that don't strike out a lot, I love that the Dodger relievers, all eight of them, went after them and forced them to make contact. And all in all, the Dodgers eight relievers struck out eight Padres. Tonight, the Padres struck out ten Dodgers. So eight strikeouts is a lot for the Padres. They don't strike out a lot, so that was big that there was that much swing a miss many. Machado struck out twice tonight. He and Higgs. I can't pronounce at the catcher's name for Hi Goatshioka for the Padres struck out twice as well, Geez calling, You don't have to shout it in my ear. We got you, Colin I and Dwayne McDonald, they put in a lot of hours as well. Yes, in case you missed the news as well. Freddy Freeman was a late scratch and that's why Max Munsey went to first base, and Keith a Hernandez started the game at third base, and Chris Taylor started the game in center field. But we saw them switch a couple of different times, which nobody gave me an answer for. And I'm not sure if Dave Roberts was asked that in his postgame press conference. Let's go out to Alex in all Hambra. You're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 11: Hi, Alex, Hey, Hey, thanks for taking on my call.
Speaker 2: I'm doing great. How are you good?
Speaker 12: How are you.
Speaker 2: I feel like we're all doing pretty good, Alex. We've established that. What do you got for us tonight?
Speaker 11: Man, it just it took me back to Game one. You know, the bullpen really came out clutched tonight, and you know, they just they did a really good job. Nothing to worry about at the end of the day. But you know the thing is, you know, moving forward house friding and going to come out with his injury.
Speaker 2: Now, you know, hey, I don't know, there's a day off tomorrow. He gets he did not play today, got treatment, won't play tomorrow because of the day off between Games four and Games five. But look, Alex, if Freddy Freeman cannot help the Dodgers, he's got to be honest with himself as he was today to say, you know what, let Munsey, let Keith k let Pahez or Taylor play. And after the way things went tonight, it feels like maybe that's the way they're leaning. Freddy wants to be in there. It says a lot for him to say, you know what, I can't go tonight. So even if he's not in there, Alex, it's not about the individuals. It's the greater sum of the parts, and that's what we saw tonight.
Speaker 11: Most definitely, because even when he tried to make that catch and how he landed with his angle, he even hurt me, and you know you could tell that that's yeah, I think that that's what did him in last night for sure.
Speaker 2: Thanks for the phone call, Alex, appreciate it. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers shut out the Padres eight to nothing in Game four of the NLDS to force a Game five. When we continue from Peco Park, we will take more of your phone calls. Plus we will hear from Freddie Freeman and Manny Machado as the Dodgers and Padres are headed to the inevitable a Game five in the NLDS to decide who will face the Mets in the NLCS. We'll have it all for you right here on AM five seventy LA Sports. We'll continue with Dodger Talk next live from Pego Park in San Diego after the Dodgers shut out the Padres eight to nothing.
Speaker 13: On air at AM five seventy, online at AM five seventy LA sports dot com, and available my podcast on the iHeartRadio apps he's.
Speaker 2: Dodger tough with David Bessing. So here's the payoff. Bets swingson hits a.
Speaker 13: High drive left center field and deep merril at the wall. It's gone no Cookie bets at it again. The first inning home run. He pumps his fist halfway between second and third Hollo high five for Dino Ebol, his second home run in as many days. It's won nothing, Dodgers.
Speaker 2: Mookie was locked in. He delivered for the Dodgers a home run in the first inning, and for good measure, drives in another run in the second inning to lead the way for a Dodger's eight nothing shut out win over the Padres in Game four of the NLDS to force a Game five, which will be Friday night at Dodgers Stadium. First pitch at five oh eight. Get your tickets now if you don't have them. It will be electric at Dodger Stadium Friday night. Daniels Jewelers is the official sponsor of the Trip around the Diamond. Stop by any Daniel's location and say home run for your free team bracelet and fifty dollars gift card toward any purchase of ninety nine dollars or more Daniels Jewelers own the dream. I loved how versatile the Dodger offense was tonight. They hit three home runs tonight, but they also were able to string together two or three consecutive hits in a couple of different innings. And that's the approach they need to have going into Game five against you, Darvish. I'll say it again, You Darvish throws a lot of different pitches. You want to try to get to him early before he settles in on the three or four that he has a feel for in that game. And I said this earlier as well. Dave Roberts wouldn't commit to a starting pitcher for Game five, and I love hearing that because the Dodgers should have real pause about starting Yoshi Yamamoto, who has a heart of a champion, who would not be scared away in that moment, but for whatever reason, the Padres have had his number this season. In three starts, Yamamoto has only pitched nine innings and has given up thirteen earned runs. That includes Game one of the NLDS, and it also includes Opening Day in South Korea. Sometimes hitters just see something and I don't want to say the Padres have some sort of tipping tip to be able to hit off Yamamoto. But there's something going on that would give the Dodgers pause about not just announcing Yamamoto as their Game five starter. I would be all in with Jack Flaherty to start Game five of the NLDS and hold Yamamoto back for Game one of the NLCS if the Dodgers are fortunate enough to win this Game five. By the way, this will be the sixth time the Dodgers we'll play a Game five of the NLDS in their franchise history. They are three and two in their previous game fives. The latest was twenty twenty one in San Francisco against the Giants. They won that game two to one. Remember they used an opener, then brought in Julio Ourrias and Max Schurzer closed out that game. Who knows, the Dodgers may go to an opener and have Flarerity come in after that opener, But either way you slice it. I feel like Flarity's going to be a big part of Game five. Eight six, six, nine, eight, seven, two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to see me Valley Nathan, You're on Dodger Talk Live from San Diego.
Speaker 8: Hey, David, thank you for taking my call, my pleasure.
Speaker 2: What do you have.
Speaker 8: I just want to talk about let's's performance tonight and a couple of years ago, I was down the shield of Dodger Stadium playing catches in that winter camp. And now he's pretty big home runs. Yeah, now he's your favorite.
Speaker 2: Play, your favorite player delivered tonight.
Speaker 8: But now he's sitting big home runs in the NLDS And just how he said when Mookie goes, we go and I wore Mookie Bets jersey to school today and just have it back to back nights of him home right in the first inning to really get the Dodges going.
Speaker 2: Well, you better wear that jersey again on Friday before Game five. Nathan. It was a good luck charm. Thanks for the phone call. Appreciate it. Let's go out to Chewy in Burdbank. You're on Dodger Talk Live from Peco Park.
Speaker 9: Ha, Chewey, how are you doing baby?
Speaker 2: I think everybody's doing great in LA. Where did you watch the game tonight?
Speaker 9: Absolutely? I watched the game at the house at the crib and we were screaming on the couch.
Speaker 2: I love it. Wake up those neighbors.
Speaker 9: Wake up everybody. Bro, So check us out. If everything goes our way on Friday, how well do we match up against these Mets? Do we have an edge anywhere when it comes to them?
Speaker 2: Throw it all out the window, Chewy. The Dodgers kind of turned their season around in New York in the middle of the summer when they swept a doubleheader against the Mets. That was kind of rock bottom for the Mets, and somehow, some way they came back to life and are on this magical carpet ride to the NLCS. Throw it all out the window. The Mets are writing some sort of magic and maybe the Dodgers talent can stop it. But yeah, I would forget about anything that happened in the regular season. It's such a different Mets team right now.
Speaker 9: Yeah, it really is.
Speaker 2: And I'm the the door hit any grand slam.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I'm gonna put this out there real quick, David. If they need a first basement Freddie's out, I'm putting it out there. I'm I'm I'm ready, I'm ready to go.
Speaker 2: All right, Chewey. I'll keep that in mind. Thanks for the phone call. Eight sixty six nine, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Hey, By the way, I guess Ken Rosenthal didn't need to go into the Padres dugout tonight because the Dodgers beat them. And now I have shut out the Padres for fifteen consecutive innings after San Diego scored six runs off of Walker Bueller in the second inning last night. Eight six six seven two five seventy. Let's go out to our man Kevin in Culver City. You're on Dodger Talk, Hi, Kevin, God.
Speaker 14: Is good mass. First of all, I want to give some exhaust Oh man, it was an exhausting game. I want to get some prayers to uh, Fernando Valenzuela. I was praying for Fernando. Hope he gets well and he's in my thoughts. You know, all the victors of hurricane in our South region. Thinking about them too and pray for them. Uh to the game. This is all about you, David Asse. You're the guy who said the bats were gonna be there tonight. You're the guy who said there was gonna be a bullpen game, and we're gonna be a We're gonna put the runs on the board. And get to win. And I want to get some props to my boy, Mookie best Mookie bleeping bets. This guy has taken so much. She's from the LA media MLB media, and he stepped up and got home runs in back to back games. I say three games he got, you know, cause the Dodgers said didn't.
Speaker 15: Do his job.
Speaker 14: But Mookie has stuck up like stuck up instead of and put this team on his back and has carried us and it's played like an MVP. I want to shout out will Smith muld finally get in a big home run for us? And look, three hundred million reasons why yo yo mo model might play Friday and pitch because he's got the skill to do it. This is we picked him.
Speaker 2: Up right, well paid in baseball history. But you know, Kevin, that was more of a long term investment. He's twenty five years old. The Padres see him really well. I don't care how much he makes. I just want the best matchup and I don't believe it's Yamamoto against the Padres. I gotta run. Thank you for the love, appreciate it. Look, I just didn't believe Dylan Cees was going to be able to see more than two or three innings max against the Dodgers. The Dodger players told me after Game one they are not chasing his slider. They have seen it way too much to be tempted to chase it. I was shocked. The Padres went to Dylan Cees tonight and it completely backfired in the Dodgers favor. Speaking of the Padres Manny Machado, he's been at the center of this NLDS. He is headed to a Game five at Dodgers Stadium. Let's head downstairs right now to hear from the Padres third baseman just didn't execute.
Speaker 16: You know, we had a couple opportunities there to you no, tack on some runs and we just didn't, you know, get some runs across.
Speaker 4: How do you think you guys will regrouping fit go into Game five, nomination.
Speaker 16: Game, just like we do every time, you know, put this aside and go out there and get ready for a Game five and compete, you know, you know, like we've been doing all year.
Speaker 15: Revenue on the mound for that game.
Speaker 2: How much confience does they get to guess?
Speaker 16: Yeah, I mean, you know, we got the right guy on the mount and you know, we definitely have all the confidences.
Speaker 8: In the world.
Speaker 17: And then I know he's done in the past.
Speaker 16: And he's done in the future, we're going to continue to do for us. So yeah, we're we're definitely ready for get about you.
Speaker 7: Found in a much bigger challenge having to faxed so many arms in a game, upposed.
Speaker 4: To maybe a natural starter.
Speaker 15: Yeah, I it doesn't doesn't matter.
Speaker 16: We got to hit the ball, right, You gotta score runs. That's the name of the game. So we just didn't do that play.
Speaker 8: Yeah, they got a good and they're a.
Speaker 16: Good team all there, right, and they've been doing it all year and we just didn't, Uh, we didn't execute them when we had a cup opportunities as an offense.
Speaker 17: You guys have typically been able to score more ones against the starters than the believers.
Speaker 2: Any theory why there?
Speaker 16: I mean, it's it's hit a mess. We've we've we've walked off best best closers in the games, right, I mean, it's just it's irrelevant, honestly, it's it really isn't. We just we didn't we didn't hit we didn't get runs across the board, and that's what that's really whatever really was.
Speaker 13: Friday and the environment and the level of play and intensity.
Speaker 16: Hey, man, we gotta we gotta win. It's win winter for home. So go out there and leave it on the field. Who was next message?
Speaker 5: You guys.
Speaker 16: Us the message that he's been doing all ye out and compete, you know, put this one aside and you know, get ready for uh, you know, Game five?
Speaker 2: All right, there's Manny Machado inside the Padres clubhouse and he was asked about the success the Padres have had against the Dodgers starters versus their relievers. We all saw the graphic posted and Rick Monday actually shared this with me coming into the game tonight. The Padres off of three Dodgers starters have scored fifteen runs in thirteen and a third innings. And maybe this stem the tide. But you can't continue to go with a bullpen game in every single game in the postseason. At some point in time, you're going to have to get quality starts from one of your starting pitchers. It would be I deal if you can get at least two guys on track. And I feel like the Dodgers are going to look towards Jack Flaherty on Friday night at Dodgers Stadium to step up big. The Dodgers have not made any announcement on who is starting Game five, but if it was up to me because of matchups. This is about matchups. You're facing the same team again for the fifth time. That's what it is in the postseason. And this is nothing against Yamamoto. I'm very confident in him starting a Game one at home against the Mets in the NLCS. But this year it just hasn't been a good matchup for him against the Padres, and feelings have to be put aside right now. This is about giving yourself the best chance to advance, and unfortunately this matchup is not a great one for Yamamoto. So get ready for Game one of the NLCS and hand the ball to Jack Flaherty who certainly has a the cohonas and the edge to be able to not shy away from this type of stage. And Yamamoto does too. I know there's a language barrier, but from everything being around him, he has a heart of a lion. It's just not a great matchup for him. Let's go out to Boyle Heights. James, you're on Dodger Talk with David Vassey. Hi James.
Speaker 15: What's going on? Dv oh Man. I just want to say, what a spectacular showing from the bullpen. It was just a great showing they had. Mookie Betts came back yesterday and today he was just doing really well. I just feel like we're on the trajectory to where we've been playing this whole season, and I think we're just going to continue doing that. We had a little time off to where we needed some people to heal, but I feel like we're on the way to being the best team in MLB.
Speaker 2: As we were all right, well that'll be decided on Friday night at Dodger Stadium. And you heard from Manny Machado. I'm expecting many Machado to get a very pleasant reception at Dodger Stadium, if you know what I mean. It was loud, it was electric, it was uh rockus here at Peco Park, I would imagine it to be the same way at Dodger Stadium. But just to remind you, let's just let the players decide it between the lines. We don't need any extra curricular activities from the fans in the stands. Let the Dodgers handle the padres. You just sit back and enjoy and make it loud at Dodger Stadium on Friday night. Let's go out to Long Beach. Joe, you're on Dodger Talk with David Vasse. How you doing, Joe?
Speaker 9: Hey Dave, what are you doing?
Speaker 12: Thank you for taking a goal.
Speaker 2: I'm glad you're a responsible driver signaling your lane change right there.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I'm Joe the live driver, so oh boy.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah. I'm sure there were a lot of fans being responsible out there watching the game.
Speaker 10: Yep, yep.
Speaker 12: Hey listen, I'm just excited to see Key K have some success. I don't know why we don't play him a lot more.
Speaker 2: But K should be in the starting line for every playoff game, Joe. I'm with you from here on out. T K Hernandez needs to be in the lineup somewhere.
Speaker 12: Some way, yes, sir. And last thing, Dave, is there any way we can keep San Diego fans from worry their jerseys in the stadium, like when they come up and make them take their jerseys off.
Speaker 2: No, Dodge Dodgers Stadium doesn't do that. It's a big city, they're not small town. They'll allow any fans to come in. But like I said, I hope the fans just allow the Dodgers and Padres to decide the NLDS and we don't need any extracurricular activities. And look, if there's a fan in a Padre Jersey, let them cheer or let them be sad. It might be sad. Diego on Friday night.
Speaker 12: Joe sounds good.
Speaker 2: Thanks all right, Joe, be safe out there doing the lift driving eight six six seven two five seventy is the phone number. There will be a game five, that is Friday night at Dodgers Stadium. It will be you Darvish on the mound for the Padres. We'll see who the Dodgers throw out there first pitch right here on AM five to seventy. LA Sports will be at five oh eight. Our coverage begins at four o'clock. All right, let's head back downstairs to the Dodger Clubhouse to hear from Freddie Freeman, who is a late scratch tonight.
Speaker 7: Are you pretty confident about Friday or you gotta compleat today every day?
Speaker 6: Like I said, day to day. So happy we got a game five and get a chance at a full day's rest today. Didn't even try to run on it, so tomorrow, we'll, you know'll get to the filthy treatment and see how we go.
Speaker 3: Let's see yours disabilities.
Speaker 6: We stave off eliminations for being the sore spot again, going to get the guys came out, you know, Mookie being Mookie bets it was huge, and then I just up and down the lineup great at bats, attacking on runs. You know, it's bullpen is absolutely incredible. So looking forward to Friday, we get a different version of Mooki. Ever, especially after you actually getting the home runs, we're getting that breaking that's right, hits stretch. I think we all knew Muki was gonna be Mooki. I mean, I know everyone wants to harp on certain things, but it's Mookie best for a reason.
Speaker 12: It's pretty coming down the bat on the double play.
Speaker 6: Yesterday's aggravated year ankle, aggravated before the game. Every day is the same. We'll try again on Friday.
Speaker 2: All right. There's Freddy Freeman on sports and at LA, and look, I appreciate Freddy Freeman being honest with himself and being honest with Dave Roberts to say I'm not good enough to help the team win and force the game five. That's really hard to do for any player, let alone when you're a player the caliber of Freddie Freeman, because you feel like you're Superman, you can do anything you need to be out there. There's not a lot of players his caliber that would say, you know what, I can't help tonight, and he did the right thing, and that is uh. You know, Freddy continues to impress me in a lot of different ways, and tonight certainly did as well. Eight six, six, nine eighty seven, two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to Glendale. Aaron, you're on Dodger Talk. How you doing Aeron?
Speaker 18: I'm doing well. Glendale in the house, David. Tonight was an amazing game to watch as a fan, wondering who in the bullpen was going to go next. It's kind of like an inside out game for the bolt and then the quote unquote starter closing it out when we had stomped on him was amazing. Do you think because they scored a lot of runs that enabled Dave to kind of go backwards front with the bullpen.
Speaker 2: Without a doubt. It made his job easier to execute the pregame script with that type of lead, because I go back to what Joe Madden had to say when he was managing the Cubs against the Dodgers in twenty seventeen, and he said that obviously he's been on that side before with Andrew Friedman, and you have to get ahead of the Dodgers or be tied in the fifth or sixth innings to really disrupt their script, their pitching script. And with the Dodgers getting ahead five to nothing after three innings, that was huge for them to allow that script to come to fruition tonight.
Speaker 18: Definitely huge. The other thing that I loved was how they pitched to Toddtise. They didn't go at him, they d him a lot of breaking balls, and I loved the chin music that Kopek gave him and kind of back them off to play the low bit and got his butt dirty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you got to move his feet. And I thought Jose Motor brought up a good point. He did double in that at bat where Kopek knocked him down, but maybe it pushed him off the plate just that much and instead of a home run, it was a double. I thought that was a great point by Jose. But Fernando Tatist Junior has had his way in this series, and tonight was the first night the Dodgers slowed him down and that was a big key to them winning this game.
Speaker 18: Tonight, manager was and then just the last thing. I want to see what you think. But we need to get revenge on you Darvish for beating his Sunday.
Speaker 9: And maybe a little payback for the.
Speaker 18: Twenty seventeen World Series Game seven. What's it going to take to beat him? And things should take him?
Speaker 2: My call, Yeah, no problem. I really do believe that. And it's funny he brought up twenty seventeen in game seven because I was thinking that as well. Look, the last time you Darvish was in this type of game, he did not fare very well. George Springer hit a big home run in the first inning, and we all know that you Darvish was not made for that Game seven of the World Series. So hopefully the Dodgers can duplicate that type of performance. And like I said earlier, it's going to be a situation where the Dodgers have to get to Darvish early. Once he settles in on three or four pitches, he's really hard to beat. Let's go out to Granada Hills, Ed, you're on Dodger Talk. How you doing ed?
Speaker 8: Hey, I'm doing good, Dave.
Speaker 14: Thank you much, appreciate it. Thank you for telling my call.
Speaker 17: I just want to say it was good to see the Dodgers play small ball butt by Edmund. If you look back at it, he was safe.
Speaker 14: But move the ball around.
Speaker 17: You know, Otani goes up there. He didn't need to hit a home run, gets a single, scores a run. And I think this changed in the game yesterday when Dave Roberts went out to the mound and left Buehler in there to be able to face that next batter. Changed the whole dynamic. Even though the Dodgers lost, I think they won the series right there.
Speaker 2: All right. Thanks for the phone call, Ed, appreciate it. It was a game where the Dodgers had that two strike approach that we were talking about last night. The Dodgers cannot try to swing for the fences because that doesn't work. I thought they're at bats were measured and it was great to see the guys that I talked about last night contributing last night, Monsey Smith, Edmund, and Lux were combined zero for fifteen tonight. All of those guys got big hits. Max Munsey with the leadoff double right before Will Smith hit the two run home run in the third inning, Tommy Edmund with a great safety squeeze bunt. Gavin Lucks he was huge in the second inning with a base hit by Keiky Hernandez. Gavin Lux took the padres off guard and went first to third when they were not really expecting that, and then hit a big two run home run in the seventh inning. So those guys are so vital to the Dodgers' success. And Keyk a Hernandez being in the starting lineup tonight, hitting eighth, he had two hits, he scored a run. I'm telling you, key K a Hernandez needs to be in this starting lineup if Freddie Freeman's back in there, somehow, some way, Key a Hernandez needs to be either at shortstop or starting in center field on Friday Night in Game five. That's why key a Hernandez was brought back for games like tonight, games like Friday Night. Now I've referenced Joe Madden. I remember this press conference. I remember it vividly. We were at Wrigley Field as the Dodgers were about to take real control of that NLCS. And here's Joe Madden explaining the philosophy of the Dodgers and just in particular a night like tonight where they're going with a bullpen game preparation.
Speaker 1: They're prepared. I mean, you know, I've been through the method. I understand what they're coming from. Their prep is really good. They're ying and they're yang you know, whether it's right or left handed hitters, it's pitchers that matchup reverse flip guys all vate as fastball guys. They have pretty much scripted before the game pretty well. And so for us to really like we did last year, were able to do more offensively against him, that's what you got to do to beat them, because otherwise, once you get behind and they're able to fulfill the script, and it's really difficult because they do match up well. So from my side to David's side, as a young manager, he's really well prepared. The whole group is what they do. It's it's again, it's a familiar scheme to me, and the only way to beat it is that you got to get on it early because if you try to beat it late, it's very difficult.
Speaker 2: And there was Joe Madden during the twenty seventeen NLCS, and that's exactly what the Padres were not able to do tonight to get ahead early. The Dodgers were the team that got ahead five to nothing after three innings tonight, and we're able to fulfill their script of an eight pitcher bullpen game tonight. It started with Ryan Brazier, it ended with Landon Nack and Evan Phillips gets the win and Dylan Ceese takes the loss. Now on Game five, it'll be at Dodgers Stadium Friday night. You Darvish on the mound for the Padres. I am looking towards Jack Flaherty being the Game five starter for the Dodgers that has not been announced yet. Dave Roberts was not ready to commit to Yamamoto or Jack Flaherty for Friday Night's Game five. Our coverage begins at four o'clock with Morongo Casino Dodgers on deck. First pitch from Dodgers Stadium at five to eight. Talk about guys putting in long hours thanks to our crew. Dwayne McDonald out here at Petco Park. Thanks to calling ee back at our Burbank Studios in case you missed any of the show, you can find it on the iHeartRadio app. And don't forget Tomorrow morning you could talk more Dodgers with Steve Sachs and Tim Kats as they are in for the postseason in place of Dan Patrick, starting at six a m. Dodgers showed you a lot tonight, showed each other a lot tonight. They planted their feet firm and forced a Game five in the NLDS with an eight nothing shut out win. Fox Sports Radio is next. We will talk to you Friday. I have a great rest of your night. See Yum from g