Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app. A couple headlines actually today that kind of covered what we just talked about, the three big stories that are going to be shaping this presidential races.
Speaker 2: We're now about a month out from election day.
Speaker 1: You've got the hurricane that blew through those states in the South. You've got the port strike. We'll talk about that coming up in a couple of minutes. And this issue that's going on in the Middle East. It seems like the Middle East is always an issue obviously for presidential elections, but this one, this time, seems to be peaking right as we get down to elections, and even in some places where elections have already started voting I should say has already started. So the White House is said to be working to try to limit the response to the barrage of Iran's ballistic missiles that were fired on Tuesday, where one hundred and eighty plus missiles came in. What I saw is that maybe twelve of them actually made contact with the ground and caused some amount of damage. Still no word on any Israeli deaths, but a Palestinian guy did die in the West Bank after debris from a destroyed missile apparently fell on him. Several senior Administration officials have said that Israeli officials have told them privately they do not need feel the need to hit back against Iran yet, at least not in any immediate and massive way. But here in the United States and in Europe, there is some fear that Israel could specifically target economic targets in Iran that would prompt another escalatory reaction. And Tehran has long been saying stay away from our oil and gas industry, which if you really wanted to hurt Iran, that's the way you do it.
Speaker 2: That's how they're making their money.
Speaker 1: The other issue is would Israel potentially target nuclear sites in Iran, which they've done before, although they do it under the cover of darkness and they never actually admit that they have done that. Dan Hoffman is a former CIA Chief of Station, and he talked about the timing of this. Where we stand in terms of approaching the year anniversary of the Hamas attack in Israel from October seventh, the current situation with hasblah in Lebanon, and how the Israeli military has been making its ground offensive into southern Lebanon with airstrikes and boots on the ground and tanks. With all of that going on, the nuclear option, should say, going after the nuke system there in Iran might be on the table.
Speaker 3: Well, Israel has taken the fight so effectively to Hamas and to his look at his bula, Israel has taken out roughly thirty his Bulo commanders, including their leader hasan As. They've destroyed his Balla's ability to communicate, targeted their foot soldiers and their rocket launch capabilities. And so Iran's proxies are now weaker arguably than ever before in terms of responding in some form or fashion to Israel. And that's how Iran creates strategic depth, it's through their proxies. And so now is the time Israelis would argue, including their former Prime minister enough Tally Bennett, who says, go now and destroy the nuclear program. Aron's a nuclear threshold state. There's no better time than now to do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And to flesh out that comment from enough Tally Bennett, the former Israeli Prime minister, he said, we must act now, to destroy Iran's nuclear program, its central energy facilities, and to fatally cripple this terrorist regime. The octopus's tentacles are temporarily paralyzed. Now comes the head again. That was the former Israeli Prime Minister Bennett. President Biden has said he said it yesterday, as late as yesterday, he does not support an Israeli strike on nuclear sites. In response, a senior Administration official has said that Israeli officials haven't even discussed such a move, at least not in private conversations with the United States. But there's some things that have come out in the last say twenty four hours that we didn't know about before. For one thing, the United States State Department administration officials believed that they had a ceasefire proposal with Hesba Lah. They believed that Israel was about to sign off on it. But when the United States and some other countries, including France, announced it publicly, that's when Benjamin Natanyaho said absolutely not. Ian Bremer, a former State Department official now president and founder of Eurasia Group, says, what the Americans understand is that Iranians desperately don't want escalation, at least not the people, and that reality means both you're a little less concerned about escalation, but you're worried the Israelis might try to do more, and says that these Raeli's are on the front lines here, they are the ones who feel the existential threat, but they also certainly do not feel bound by American pressure, and that makes us look bad. That's his quote. He says, that makes Biden look bad. This Israel's in a very difficult place. It has been for a very long time. It's there's no new breath that's going to be breathed into this conflict that has not already been fought for several hundred, if not a couple thousand years. But the idea that Israel is now committing air strikes on Hamas in Gaza, They've been dropping bombs on Hesbelah in Lebanon, and now looking at the possibility of some sort of a retaliatory strike against Iran, they're fully capable of it. But if it is true that Israeli officials have been saying privately to American officials that they do not currently feel the need to hit back against Iran in any sort of immediate or massive way, maybe that's the sliver of daylight towards some sort of I don't know, a day new mall. I don't remember what that word means. I just remember that I learned it in high school, and it's something about the second half of the book. Maybe it's just about this is the beginning of ramping down escalations that hopefully one hundred and eighty ballistic missile strike from Iran to Israel was the peak and it just slows down from there, hopefully. Hey, reminder, the Pacific Air Show is returning to Huntington Beach this weekend. It starts tomorrow, goes through Sunday, bringing more of those stunts and sand action than ever before. General admission tickets are only thirty dollars plus booking fees if you go to Pacificairshow dot com. The nation's largest air show by attendance, usually more than three million people up and down Huntington Beach to watch all of this and again, it starts tomorrow. In fact, we'll be broadcasting live from south of the Pier tomorrow the regular Gary and Shannon Show, just the outdoor beach version of the Gary and Shannon Show. I was right, I think when I said dey new mall, Hi mall.
Speaker 4: There's a French word that means falling action. Yes, it's events that occur in a story after the climax of the story, that sort of wrap up the story. That's day new Mall.
Speaker 1: Well, we can hope, How's that we can hope that this week is the day New mall of this conflict in the Middle East. President Biden is going to be in Florida and Georgia today to survey more damage from Hurricane Helene. The second full day the President's going to devote to the disaster. The report now is that at least two hundred people are known to have died as a result of that hurricane that since it made landfall Florida a week ago. More than half of the deaths have been in North Carolina, and in some places they said entire communities were destroyed by several feet of fast moving water. The hot temperatures, of course, will continue here in southern California. That means we're going to see increased fire danger. Heat warnings and advisories are up through about eight o'clock tonight. By the way, I follow up to a story and Shannon had actually mentioned this the other day, we were trying to find out what was going on with the Orange County Fire Authority hand crews that were involved in that rollover crash. Well, two of those firefighters have been moved to rehab centers this week as they continue their road to recovery. At least one of them has a pretty severe spinal injury. Two of the eight firefighters were released the night of the crash, two went home following day. The last four remained hospitalized for almost two weeks. Then you've got two that were removed to rehab centers yesterday, and still two others who are considered or should say, are in the hospital. So we're day three now of a dock worker port worker strike, if you want to call that, on the East Coast and the Gulf Coast, thirty six different ports, somewhere between twenty and forty thousand dock workers. I've seen different numbers as a matter of fact. And Johnny Dixon is the president of the Fort Lauderdale chapter of the International Longshoreman's Association. He says that members top out at about thirty nine bucks an hour. They're looking for a seventy seven percent increase over the next seven years. And he says, when you look at the cost of inflation, that's more than reasonable. We of course had a dock worker strike here on the West Coast and represented by a different union, But that's part of the reason why the East Coasters are now on strike, because the guys out here on the West Court West Coast make more, and in some cases significant more. Pay for a long shortman is based on the years of experience, and under the former contract, starting pay for dock workers was twenty bucks an hour. That rose to twenty four to seventy five after two years, thirty one ninety after three years. In fact, it would top out at thirty nine bucks, and that only took about six years worth of service. And as I said, they were looking for a seventy seven percent raise over the next six years. That would be the equivalent of about five dollars per hour increase for each year of the contract. So the top wage just paid base wages, would be about eighty one thousand dollars. But obviously you can make extra money taken on extra shifts. For example, the annual report from the Waterfront Commissioner in New York, Harver said about a third of local longshoremen taking on those extra shifts and overtime, et cetera, usually make about two hundred thousand dollars a year. It's more typical that it's over one hundred thousand, but that there are some like I said, that can make the bigger amount just based on their willingness to work a lot. Here's a reporter, Brooke Taylor. Yeah, Brooke Taylor, who was talking to striking workers outside of a port near Houston.
Speaker 5: Experts say this is costing our economy up to four point five billion dollars a day. Thirty six major US ports stretching from Maine to Texas, like you mentioned, currently shut down because of this. Many of the cargo ships that usually deliver goods to East Coast and Gulf Coast ports that come in are stuck offshore. More than three hundred trade groups have joined together urging President Biden to intervene.
Speaker 2: He's made it clear he's not going to do that now.
Speaker 5: As a recap, these union workers are asking for two major things, higher wages and a ban on automation that would take jobs away from them.
Speaker 1: William la Ganessa, reporter, also was talking about the importance of having the West coast ports pick up the slack if it gets to that, if it's necessary in this thing, drive on for a couple of days or weeks. We will see an increase in capacity here at the West coast ports.
Speaker 6: Well, right now La Long Beach has about room for forty containerships a month extra. That's a lot, but it's not gonna be enough. And remember, once a ship leaves a port in Asi or Europe, it doesn't suddenly change course. That cargo is already or will be stuck off New York, Baltimore, Houston. But going forward, we are likely to see a shift in bookings next week.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: So I also wanted to point out because I think this is I don't know if it's important to the story of these guys demanding this money that they want to see more money on top of the regular thirty nine dollars that they can top out at. They want to see this seventy seven percent increase and see that go up. So, like I said, the typical longshoreman salary is over one hundred thousand dollars when you calculate in overtime, et cetera. But Harold Daggett is the international president of the International Longshoreman's Association. Harold Daggett makes seven hundred and twenty eight thousand dollars as the president of the ISLA seven hundred and twenty eight thousand dollars and on top of that another one hundred and seventy three thousand dollars as the president emeritus of the Mechanics Local Chapter at the Port Newark and New Jersey.
Speaker 2: That's a that's a good job.
Speaker 1: His son, his son heads the New Jersey local that his father once led, and is now also the international Executive vice President for the International Longshoreman's Association.
Speaker 2: He has a.
Speaker 1: Total income also over seven hundred thousand dollars. Now, again, their labor their union officials, so part of their pay is coming from union stuff as opposed to them just humping cargo containers on a dock somewhere. But the head of the union making close to a million dollars a year, and his son, who took over again the local chapter, making about seven hundred thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: That seems like a lot. Now, what can the president do?
Speaker 1: The president has the ability under the nineteen forty seven Taft Hartleac to get a court order to send the doc workers back to work for an eighty day cooling off period in an attempt to make sure that the economy doesn't continue to take it right in the shorts. We shall see, But right now he has said President Biden that he does not want to do that. He said he wants to get these guys back into talks. He wants to make sure that there's something on the schedule that they've dealt with this before, for example the West Coast. Look, dude, this is a John talk.
Speaker 5: Because we Rember, we negotiated several more strike on the West Coast people and they work it out.
Speaker 2: It's time. They won't even talk, so let's get that done.
Speaker 1: There are no new negotiations scheduled between the International Longshoreman's Association and the employers, but the port owners, under pressure from the White House to hike their pay and offer a land deal, signed on on Wednesday that said that they were open to some new talks.
Speaker 2: So at least.
Speaker 1: Forty five container vessels now unable to load or unload. They're anchored up outside the East Coast and Gulf ports. This is going to look like, at least very soon similar to what we saw during the supply chain disruptions that hit us so hard during COVID, and it is likely that if this thing goes on for any amount of time, you're going to see inflation once again. Pick back up whose fault is? It depends? I guess which side. If you like labor, you don't like labor, that's who you're going to decide or how you're going to decide who you think is at fault for this. A couple headlines that we are following right now, just saw footage of President Biden getting update on damage and recovery efforts after Hurricane Helene made its way through Florida. He's in Florida now, also travel to George at a survey some of the damage. Mentioned that as of right now, the death sol is over two hundred people have died as a result of the carnage and the destruction. Federal prosecutors have laid out their most extensive case to date against former President Trump for his effort to overturn the twenty twenty election. One hundred and sixty five page document offers some a little new detail about some of the Special Council investigation into the former president's efforts to lean on state officials to paint a narrative of fraud. Prosecutors said that Trump knew was untrue. We'll talk a little bit more about it in swamp Watch about why in fact this document was even put together, and then why the judge decided to unseal it so that everybody could see it, even if it is just before the election.
Speaker 6: Hey are you doing Gary?
Speaker 2: This is Rocky out in Los Angeles? Up Rocky? Hey, we can hear Shannon bro. I think the Microsoft turn it on.
Speaker 4: Bro, Come on, we miss her doing a great job, brother, keep it up.
Speaker 2: Jacob, do you have her micro off?
Speaker 4: Is that? What?
Speaker 2: Do go Google? That's why we can't turn her microphone on. That's fascinating. Yeah, I think tomorrow we'll have it.
Speaker 1: That is a big bird, fascinating.
Speaker 2: We'll turn it on.
Speaker 1: Hello. A reminder, also, in a couple of minutes, we're going to be talking about tracking your partner, the dark side of tracking your partner's mobile phone.
Speaker 2: Do you do it?
Speaker 1: Does it get you in trouble? Or how about this question? Do you track them and they don't know you track them? You can leave us a talk back on the iHeart app. All you do is hit that little microphone button while you're listening on the app, and you can leave us a quick thirty second message or show or so. It seems as if the La Times has finally realized who is sitting in the DA's office and it's George Gascon. There is an article that came out regarding George Gascon's policies giving a teenage killer a second chance, and guess what she's charged with now killing again. In this case, it's Shenise Dyer. She was a member of the Cryps Street gang. She wanted to retaliate for killings by a rival gang in August of twenty nineteen, and the target was Alfredo Carrera and a close friend of his, who happened to be an aspiring astrophysicist and uc Irvine Vasquez was visiting his buddy Carrera to drop off a baby gift. Well, the two of them are standing there. Car pulls up Shenise Dyer's on the inside. There's an argument Shenise and a couple other people. Alicia volley of gunfire. Both men are killed and a complete innocent bystander third man down the street hid in the back with a bullet as he loaded his one year old daughter into a car seat. She eventually sent text messages taking responsibility for the shooting, said she in fact, was satisfied her word that this thing was getting the news attention that it was. She was tried as a juvenile, as a juvenile because she was seventeen. She admitted to the murder charges a couple of years later, and she was released in February.
Speaker 2: Guess what happened.
Speaker 1: It took her all of six months to get popped once again, this time for a murder in Pomona. And again, this is one of those issues where you it defies any explanation using logic, because when George Gascon came in, one of the things that he did was he said, we got to keep kids out of adult prisons in California. And one of his blanket policies when he came in was We're not going to try any juvenile as an adult, no matter how egregious the crime or even how close they are to being an adult. And again, she was seventeen when this thing happened. The juvenile policy does his does fall in line with a broader policy around the state of California, which again is to keep kids out of adult prisons, but only a dozen teenagers were tried in adult court last year. She would have could have faced life in prison for the double murder if she was tried in adult court, but she was again kept in the juvenile courts and let out in February. Six months later, she was involved with aa of Joshua Streeter, a twenty one year old guy. She lured him allegedly to a Pomona strip mall, where he was eventually shot. She did not pull the trigger, but was still charged with murder. She's doing court next month. Her attorney, of course, declined to comment. But think about think about that policy that a seventeen year old so willing to shoot somebody, that they killed two people and wound a third, and then you try them as a juvenile so that they can get out of jail in a couple of years and do the whole thing again. One of the spokespeople for George Gascon, Tiffany Blackmail, said it's unlikely that her initial case would have even met the standard to go to adult court even if George Gascon had not put his policy in place, She said, because at the time Shenise Dyer didn't have a criminal history, and that there was no sorry, that there was evidence to indicate she was told to do that by somebody in the gang. Oh in that case, ugh, I was just following orders, apparently, is the new argument.
Speaker 2: She said.
Speaker 1: Another teen suspect involved in the killings was also tried as a juvenile and is actually doing well on probation. And then an adult suspect in those killings is still not gone to trial. It's very it's very hard now to get a teenager transferred to an adult court, in part because of a new bill. George Gascon, of course, had his hands all over. It would require prosecutors prove by clear and convincing evidence that a youth can't be rehabilitated in juvenile custody before a judge can approve a transfer. And again, that's just us sitting and waiting for the next bad thing to happen.
Speaker 2: Again.
Speaker 1: She proved when she was seventeen she's incapable of making decisions about life and death, specifically the lives and deaths of other people. But we'll just give her a chance. A couple of years later, that makes perfect sense. Prosecutors have said this new standard is almost impossible to get a teenager tried in adult court.
Speaker 2: For example, there was a case in Englewood.
Speaker 1: A judge decided that a teenager who was accused of shooting his girlfriend and her sister in Westchester before setting the crime scene on fire still did not meet the standard for adult court.
Speaker 2: This is part of the reason.
Speaker 1: Again, the reason I'm even discussing this is because it's amazing that the La Times writes this in such a way that it's almost a pearl clutchy breathless, Oh my gosh, I can't believe that maybe George Gascone's policies might have added to violence and murder and death in this county. What's the reason Nathan Hakman appears to be winning. The latest polls showed that he's running against George Gascone and he's stomping him like a narke at a biker rally. Hawkmann's statement, which was included in this La Times article, said he Gascone imposed a blanket policy refusing to transfer any juveniles to criminal court under any circumstances. He rejected the recommendation of his senior prosecutors, who warned him that if he were if she if Shinise Dyer were kept in juvenile custody and released a few years, she would very likely kill again. When he was asked what he would do if he was elected DA to try to overcome the burden of law, the state law when it comes to transferring juveniles to adult courts, he said, I would never shy away from a fight.
Speaker 2: But he didn't really get into the specifics.
Speaker 1: So as a reminder, Yes, we've heard those George Gascone things that play on the air here that was not us, and it's weird. That's what I'll say, because I think that's what I can say. It's weird and we didn't do it. But Jacob can't pull him because he's contractually obligated to do the things that they tell him to do. I just play the spot. You just play the spot. You're just the button monkey, You're not the circus leader.
Speaker 2: But we appreciate that.
Speaker 4: Hi, Gary, this is Larry and I'm calling from Beverly Hills. I was listening to the issues with George Gascone and I'm just kind of wondering after he's voted out of the office. He had direct violations of the law and is ignoring of other laws and making his own law, and I'm wondering if George Gascone could be prosecuted for his malfeasons in office.
Speaker 1: Could he be prosecuted, Well, it would be up to the state attorney general, who loves George Gascon. Rob Bonta is not about to prosecute George Gascon. I don't think that would be quite a change, quite a political surprise if in fact that was the case. Hey, you track your partner, your wife, husband, boyfriend, girlfriend, whatever it is.
Speaker 2: It's this is different than tracking your kids.
Speaker 1: Think about this, if say, fifteen years ago, you could you said that you have an app that you can track people where they are in real time. Probably be a little bit weird, a little dystopian, if you will. But now everybody's got it. Everybody's got the ability to download these apps and track people. I track people on my phone, but I am related to all of them. I track my my wife, trying to remember my wife and my two kids. I did have my mom and dad on the on my find my iPhone, but for one thing, they're dead, and for the other thing, the phone is disconnected. So I don't follow that. There was one last final location and then that was it.
Speaker 2: Anyway.
Speaker 1: But there is a question that's going around about the health of tracking your intimate partners using your mobile phone, and the basic conclusion is, it appears it depends on the health of your relationship whether it's a healthy thing. For example, a thirty year old Millie says, my partner and I recently started sharing our locations and can say for certain we use it for convenience, so if one of us is checking what we're checking, if one of us is home from work or back from a night out, I personally like knowing that he has my location for safety reasons or for trying to meet one another out somewhere.
Speaker 2: It's an easy way to gauge timing somebody.
Speaker 1: Grace, a thirty year old, lives in Los Angeles and says this is important because we use it to surprise each other the positive aspect. For example, if I'm planning a surprise romantic dinner, I want to know how close to he is so I know when to put dinner on the table. Another one says, I'm keenly aware of potential weather hazards where we live and potential crime, and we also deal with heavy traffic. Sometimes I start to wonder if my husband's okay on his drive back from work and I can see that he is simply stuck in traffic, and not to worry. There are others who say that this has literally been a life saver. Meg she got a call from her boyfriend at about two in the morning one time, and he said he was in a car accident, but his phone was dying and he couldn't figure out where he was because he was sitting in his overturned car. She said she was able to find him on Life three point sixty, one of those location apps, and was able to find his car flipped over in a ditch and saved his life. Of course, monitoring your every move of your partner could reveal things you don't want to. For example, Strava is a running app where you can map out your workouts. A woman says that she was tracking her army boyfriend and realized that he ran past, paused around, or ended at an address where a female army unit partner lived, and she caught him having an affair with this other person.
Speaker 2: So that's just the question.
Speaker 1: We'll revisit this here in a little bit, But do you track your intimate partner and have you found out anything that you shouldn't have found out when you did, though, Hey, we'll talk about that a little bit later. We're gonna do swamp Watch when we come back to Gary and Shannon. You've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show. You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app