Speaker 1: Okay, how this is William Ramsey. Welcome to William Ramsey investigates on today's show of a very special guest. His name is Jody Cloche and he wrote a book back in twenty nineteen titled Why Gary Why, which I read through today. Fascinating book, really interesting story. You'll probably find out what his relationship is to some of these one of the most famous viral videos out there. But this book right now on Amazon has one hundred and ninety three five star ratings, well deserved, and you can get in a kindle and paperback. But Jody Ploche. Plache has worked in the field of violence prevention since nineteen ninety five. He attended Louisiana State University, where he served on the executive board for Men Against Violence, a campus organization aimed at preventing campus violence, including sexual assaign of assault, and physical violence. Then he worked at the Victim Services Center of Montgomery County in Northstown, Pennsylvania, and also worked as a sexual assault counselor as well as a prevention educter, and he has provided crisis intervention to sexual assault victims on the agency's twenty four hour Crisis Outline as well as through in person support at hospitals and police stations. He's also facilitated sexual violence risk reduction programs for students ranging for pre K to college, and he has served on the statewide Men Against Sexual Violence Committee. In October twenty two thousand and two, he attended the White House Conference on Missing, Exploited and Runaway Children in Washington, d C. Featuring Colin Powell and George W. Bush. And He's also was named the Survivor Activist of the Year by the Pennsylvania Commission on Crime and Delinquency. He shared his personal story as well as the knowledge about working with survivors of sexual assault on numerous TV shows, including Galdo Now It Can Be Told, Maury at The Oprah Winfrey Show, Lie's a Real TV, The Montel william Show, John Wall Show, CNN's Connie Chunk Tonight, ABC World News Tonight in ESPN's E sixty. But again, we're going to talk about this book. He highly recommended. The title is Why, Gary Why, and the author against Jody Clochet. So, Jody, welcome to the show. Thank you for having me so for people and may not have heard your story or this book, can you kind of talk about your background and the story behind the book.
Speaker 2: Gary all Right. As a kid growing up, I was involved in athletics. I played like I started playing tackle football when I was six years old. I couldn't start playing basketball until I was eight years old, but then I played softball, eventually moved to baseball, and I also played soccer. I would leave. I would leave one of my football games at halftime to go to my soccer game. With that. I had an older brother who was also involved, and a younger brother who wasn't really involved. So when I was in fifth grade, I got a flyer to take karate. Well, I bowled the flower up and threw it in the garbage camp beforeve and walked out of the door. Well, my little brother he brought the flower home, so my mother saw it and decided that that might be something he can douse, so she put him in it. But when she put him in it, she put my older brother and me and a neighbor's friend agreed to go and so we all started taking karate. The first karate teacher showed up for the first lesson, then didn't show up for the second lesson, so eventually our names all the people had paid for like ten karate lessons, our names would turned over to a young up and coming karate martial arts instructor, Jeff dow Set, who had just opened up his karate school and he had a fighting team, and so we started taking it from him. He was going to honor the remaining lessons. Well, you know, after a couple of lessons, Jeff told my mom that, you know, your boys are really athletic. They're really good. You know, I think they could, you know, really do good in karate. And so we agreed to continue taking karate lessons from Jeff, even though once our once our paid up lessons were done, we just signed up and kept taking them. Well, unbeknownst to my parents, Jeff du Sett was a pedophile and he was a child molester. So eventually, after several months of taking karate, he started working on me and uh, you know, he would try to stretch us out and he would get real close to us and hold us like, you know, push our legs down to make is to a split. And I think that looking back would be like the first time he was trying to normalize him touching me, you know, between my legs, saying oh, look, fee your legs are tight right there when I'm doing a split, and I think that that was him trying to normalize him touching me inappropriately. The first time it really registered in my mind as a child, I was driving the car. He was gonna let us we're coming home from arate practice, and he's like, all right, who wants to drive the car? You know? So we all wanted to drive the car. So I was, you know, I was first up, first on Jeff's lap, and as we're driving a car, he starts putting his hand in my lap and I start thinking, oh my god, you know, and then it went away. It was like almost like it was almost like an accident, like that's what I was justifying in my mind that was an accident, and it wasn't. That was him testing my boundaries. And so after I didn't say anything about that, then he started to do actually more, Okay, this is an accident. This is you know, he's actually rubbing on me while I'm trying to sleep, which led to, you know, basically a full sexual relationships where he would perform earl sex on me, then he would have sex with me. And this lasted for almost a year eventually.
Speaker 1: And you were what ten or eleven at the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's sort of when I was ten and it went onto ten I was eleven years old.
Speaker 1: He kind of ingratiated himself into your family too.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, he didn't just yeah, he didn't just you know, groom me. He groomed the family. I mean, there was one time he told my parents that he had injured himself when he was like six years old and he couldn't have kids because he had gotten his you know, I guess private parts mangled on a fence jumping over a fence, and so he couldn't have kids. That's why he left kids so much. That's why I want to be around kid so much. And I mean that immediately when they first met him, may heard that story. Set just kind of takes that that off the table, you know, I mean any red flag they may have had was gone now. And I mean there's a reason why the average pedophile molests over one hundred children before their cart because they're good at what they do.
Speaker 1: And he was in your household talking to your parents all that stuff too.
Speaker 2: Eventually, yeah, I mean, eventually, you know it's like, hey, Jeff, why don't you come over Saturday night. We're getting together, So he came over Saturday night my family got together, and so he became a regular. I mean he would go to my aunts and uncle's house when they would host a party. I mean so, I mean even my dad, uh, you know, brought him to Sunday dinner one time because he had stayed over Saturday night and he lived at the karate studios. So Daddy brought him back to the karate studio. And when you dropped him off, you know, like I said, Jeff was looking sad and was walking to the karate studios. So my dad got to stop light, I mean the first stop light outside of karate school, and he's just balling. He's crying. I'm like what he's just like, he goes, He's so pitiful. He has nobody. So my dad turned the car around, went back, picked him up, brought him home, let him shower, gave him a shirt fresh shirt out of the closet, dressed him up, and took him to my grandparents my dad's parents' house for Sunday dinner. Wow.
Speaker 1: Right, so he's close to your family but also taking you on these trips athletic trips, right, karate trips.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we went on a few tournaments, went to Houston a couple of times, I think, trying to think we had a karate tournament here, it was another kind of local karate tournament. And there's another time we went sparred with another gym and a couple of towns over. So yeah, I mean, it was not uncommon for me to be riding with Jeff to Fort Worth, Texas in a van with a bunch of other kids going to a karate tournament.
Speaker 1: For he was also he was also kind of a swindler too, like he oh.
Speaker 2: He's one hundred percent of swindle. He's a con artist. So the summer of eighty three, he had decided he was going to use us as a business idea, and he came up with these lsu bandanas, kind of like the it's like a purple and gold tiger stripe bandana and he called it a tiger right. Well, my dad actually and my dad of course introduced Jeff to one of his friends who was a local business owner was interested in buying these bandanas, and so the guy put in an order flight let's say, fifteen thousand bandanas because he had like thirty stores, like convenience stores around the bat Rouge area, and so he put in an order for like fifteen thousand, and Jeff just spent the money. He didn't purchase the bandanas with him, and so the guy didn't get his bandanas or he didn't get his money back. So he was the one that actually I think Jeff was facing I guess going to court for this guy in the money, and Jeff couldn't come up with the money. So eventually, when Jeff couldn't come up in the money, in February of nineteen eighty four, Jeff decided he was gonna leave town. And since I was his love interest for the past year, he decided I was coming with him, and so when he'd skipped down, that's when he took me.
Speaker 1: All right, so you went on this thing, and your mom had checked him out, right, so there was no yes.
Speaker 2: The first time, the first time we ever went to the movies with him, she called her brother that worked for the Sheriff's apartment and said, can you check on this guy? Now? Whether he did or didn't, I don't know, but he said, oh, no, he's fine, Ain't nothing wrong with him. And so so, I mean, my mother even took that extra step to do a background check with her brother, who was a cop, and Jeff came out clean, which looking back, he shouldn't have, right.
Speaker 1: And do you ever get the few that he was also abusing other boys at the same time as you.
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't get the feeling. I saw it with my own eyes. There was a time where you know, he he told me if I didn't perform oral sex on me, he was gonna make the other kid do it. And I said, we'll make the other kids do it, and he did. He the other kid just went underneath the covers and performed on him.
Speaker 1: So it all leads up he's in trouble with the law, gonna be in trouble. You actually involved in forging check for him or something like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like, yeah, he had me signed some checks with my mother's name, just I mean twenty dollars here, fifteen dollars there. But I mean that was another issue with Jeff too.
Speaker 1: But he was charming. He had that that you say you see in the book, like he was very charming and was able to.
Speaker 2: Oh, watch watch Criminal Minds. I've been I've been binge watching Criminal Minds for like the last couple of months, and I mean he's every bit is charming as Ted Bundy.
Speaker 1: Wow, So just like a glib talker, really charm people and things like that.
Speaker 2: He could make people laugh. I mean, yeah, he was just a common artist, that's all he did. But he didn't care about nobody but himself.
Speaker 1: So he decides to flee with you with not much of a plan, right, just he was gonna go to California and find a job or something. He had no money.
Speaker 2: Agent, We're going to Los Angeles to find a job. We're gonna, you know, live our life together. He's gonna pose me as his son. And so we took my mother's car actually to Port Arthur, Texas. That was on a Sunday, And so that Monday he tried to get money for a bus ticket, which I think he got from his uncle. And then on that Tuesday, we took a bus from Orange, Texas to Los Angeles, and my mother, by the way, was told that Sunday we would be coming home Monday. And when we didn't come home Monday, that's when she contacted the police, and so the police and my mother went to Port author. She know I was with Jeff's and I knew I was a Jeff's mom's house. She knew that, and so she went with the police officers to Jeffs mom's house looking for me, and we had already taken the bus like about an hour before they got there, all.
Speaker 1: Right, so he's moving slowly and so like he dyed your hair this.
Speaker 2: Whole Yeah, he did. I think he did that in a He did that in the motel room in Anaheim. Once we got settled after I think he died hair. After we got back from Disneyland. He took me to Disneyland, and I think it was like that evening when we got back from Disneyland. He died my hair black, which was snow white blonde, and then he shaved his beard and he dyed his hair. I guess he tried to die blonde and it came out kind of red looking. But yeah, he went that forward to disguise me.
Speaker 1: Right, So then like he was just conning his way across the country, right, didn't He asked find some guy in a karate mag to get another six hundred bucks or whatever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, once we got to La you know, we really didn't have any money, so he bought a karate magazine and he looked in the back, and there was a guy named al Garza out of Houston area, and we had fought at one of OL's tournaments fairly recently, and so he just he told al He said, look, man, I brought a group of kids out to California. My van got stolen. Can you please just wire me, you know, just a couple bucks so I can get us back home. And he sent us five hundred dollars Western six hundred dollars Western Union, and Jeff collected five fifty.
Speaker 1: Right, so that allowed you you were in California, what three two or three weeks or something.
Speaker 2: No, I was going to total of ten days, so you figure a couple of days in Texas, a couple of days on the bus. I think we got to We got to La at like two am on that Thursday of that week, so Thursday, and then he was arrested on a leap year, twenty ninth. He was arrested the twenty ninth of February, and it was a leap year. And then I was returned home March first, and Jeff didn't come home until March sixteenth.
Speaker 1: And then the thing that he the mistake was the collected call. Right, that's who yes crazy.
Speaker 2: Well, well, and I think the reason why Jeff allowed me to make the collective phone call is because I think Jeff was out of money. I mean, because we had been paying for the phone. The first couple of long distance calls we made. You know, here's five bucks for that call, here's ten bucks for that call. But we were out of money, and so I think that was just kind of like, Okay, you know what, let me let me throw in the towel, let's let me get arrested, Let's go back home, and then I'll con my way out of this when I get back to bat Urge. I think that that was his actual plan at that point.
Speaker 1: And he is what twenty six, twenty seven at the time, he.
Speaker 2: Was twenty No, he was only he was twenty five, one month and two weeks.
Speaker 1: So what happened next? When you when the police showed up in the Anahum?
Speaker 2: All right? So when the police showed up and brought bus, all right? So he allowed me to call my mother collect which my mother asked for time in charges. What that means is when the phone calls over, the operator gets back on and I'm I'm not telling you this, I'm telling the audience who might not be old enough to remember the operator would come back on the phone call, because when you make a collect call, you have the other person pay for the call. And so she told my mother that call was twenty minutes and it's going to be you know, fourteen dollars or whatever the going rate and the length of time was at the time, back in nineteen eighty eighty four. So excuse me. So he's talking on the phone to my mother. He's standing on the right side of me, on the right side of the bed, and I heard a knock on the door. I heard a key, and then I heard, you know, like please, please, please, And I was sitting on the bed closest to the door. They put guns on me. They had guns on him. They took me, they pulled me out. I saw a guy walk around a bed and Jeff kind of went, you know, hands to the wall, kind of you know, turned around, hands to the wall, and the guy walked around the bed. He told Jeff, I ought to punch you in the I think either I think gd mouth or something like that. I had to punch you in the mouth. And then they had me outside by the pool area. And that is the last time I ever saw Jeff again. I never saw him after that. They took me from there to the police station, where they questioned me for a couple of hours and I denied everything. And then after the and they were doing good cop and bad cop to me too, and I heard like an overhere and going, well, you go in here and you haven't explained what this was. Oh, it's on the towel, and you know, he adopted to explain what it was, and I'm thinking, like, what's on the towel? Anyway, they thought it might be like some fecal matter, but it was the hair dye because it was brown, so they were trying to like intimidate me. I went from the police station to the hospital where they did a complete physical and a rape kit, and so I knew it was only a matter of time that, you know, that rape kit was going to come back positive. So I just kept lying, kept saying Jeff never touched me. They took me to some like home from neglect children. I stayed the day there. One ten in the morning, I fled at lax. I got to New Orleans at six a m. And that was March first, and so Jeff wouldn't be flown home till March sixteenth, which was like two weeks later. It was a Friday. But in the week before Jeff was flown back was when my parents found out about the hospital report. That's when Mike Bournette with the Sheriff's department, who had kind of led the investigation, sat my parents down and said, you know, Jeff had been sexually abusing Jody, and Daddy said, well, I'm gonna killing and you know, Mike said he's told many parents about their children being sexually abused and that it didn't raise a red flag because most parents' answer is I'm not killing, you know, or you know.
Speaker 1: Uh, they weren't aware of anything up until that.
Speaker 2: Point, right, No, I mean they they at that point they had their suspicions. Okay, it was just confirmed. And then once my mother sat me down and told me that, you know, okay, you know Jeff fooled with you, then I immediately I just said, yes he did. And then I kind of told her something of what happened, maybe how it started, uh, how long it went on, and then she was like, all right, good place. So I got on my bike and I wrote down on my friend's house, and I felt like the weight of the world had been left off my shoulder. I've been keeping his secret for over a year, and uh, you know, it just felt good to actually feel like I can get back to normal, being a normal eleven year old kick kid boy. That only lasted for a week.
Speaker 1: Right, But it wasn't fully normal because you were in the news too, like everybody in town New Year's so you were.
Speaker 2: Well, they knew I had been kidnapped, but no one had known that. No one knew I'd been sexually abused. That didn't happen until a week later, when Daddy announced to everybody what had happened.
Speaker 1: I see, so so yeah, So my.
Speaker 2: Classmates at school they didn't know because I still had my ticket stuff from Disneyland. So when they're like, man, did that man mess with you? I was like, look, I went to Disneyland. And they're like, man, I wish he'd a kidnapped me. I'm thinking myself, no, you don't. But so nobody at my school knew I'd been sexually abused, and it wasn't until Daddy shot him a week later on March sixteenth, that you know the world would find out.
Speaker 1: And how how did that, how did that take place? Like I would think a lot of people in my audience have seen that video of do say and your dad, But can you talk about how he knew what was going to happen and what was happening?
Speaker 2: All right? So you got to go back to when my dad was in college, all right. So well, my dad was in college, he worked as a cameraman at Channel two w b r Z TV here in Baton Rouge. I ran into James Carville a couple of years ago to LSTRE football game and he was like, Oh, and.
Speaker 1: Your daddy was working a Channel two.
Speaker 2: He was so funny. But uh so, my dad worked at Channel two, and he also drank at a bar or restaurant at the restaurant's bar called the Cotton Club. It was a place called the Cotton Club, and that literally was less than a half a mile down the road from Channel two. So daddy knew everyone that worked at Channel two because he used to work there, and he was on their bowling team. I remember going with them and one of the reporters had the last mash t shirt on for like the last mass show that aired on TV, and we were at the bowling alley and Daddy bowl was so he was friends with all these people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you say your dad was friends with almost everybody, like super friendly, garious.
Speaker 2: Yes, he was out at the bar, bought everyone to drink. You know. His job was His job was to entertain. He was a salesman, so I mean he had this you know, company card that he can entertain clients on and he that's what that's what his job was. Just said, make people laugh at entertaining and make them by their uh rent equipment from him. That that was his job. And so one of the guys from Channel two, his name was Bob Shadell, he's a program director. He looked at my dad and he goes, hey, uh, you know, when are they bringing your boy back? Talking about Jeff, And Daddy said, I think he's back, and he goes, they won't tell me. And that's when Bob Shadell said, no, he's not back yet. Let me go find out. So he went and he called Channel two and said, hey, where do they bring a due set back? And they said, oh, it was flight scheduled land A nine oh eight, And so Bob Schadell was like, oh, he's gonna be in at nine oh eight, and so he told my dad exactly what time Jeff was coming in. And so that's how my dad knew. And my dad actually was his weekend to have this because my parents were split up and we were out of our camp in False River, which is kind of like a lake, kind of like a lake cabin. And uh, my dad made it out there. But when he got out there, he turned around and he went back to the airport, and then he got on the phone called his best friend. He was actually on the phone. People they'll say, oh, you know, he was pretending to be on the phone. No, No, he was talking to his best friend. He told his best friend right at the lines back and they had payphones, and I mean he said, okay. At first he saw Mike Barnette because Mike Barnett came out to look because the cameraman was out there, and behind the cameraman a count a little crowd had gathered. So Mike Burnett went out looking by behind the you know, the camera, to see who you know, may have been out there. Who's looking for my dad or any of the other parents, said Jeff and the less of their kids. So Mike's looking and Jeff even said, my brother Sam, I said. He said, my brother Sam might try to break me out, or if he knows what I did to these kids, he might try to kill me too. So Mike's looking. Mike checks it out, and Mike the very beginning of the video, you see Mike kind of wave Jeff and Bud. The other other police officer, Bud Connor, he weighs Jeff and Budd around the corner where you can see in the video Jeff and Bud are talking and Bud's like, you know, if you see anybody, just hit the ground. And and Mike Burnette told me this a couple probably a couple of months ago. I see him every now and then. He he's actually the one that yelled, why Gary, why when the gun went off? And uh, he told me he said yeah, he said yeah, he said, me and Bud we were out in LA and he said, man, we tie on tight the night before we had to go pick Jeff up. He goes, So I'm walking through the airport, he said, I see the television camera and I'm thinking to myself, all these people are looking for a movie store, but they're gonna get but two drunks and a pedophile. And he said, right there when that thought went through his head is when that gun went off. And he turned around and he saw my dad and that's when he yelled, Gary, Why Gary, and he ran and he actually shielded my dad because he knew my dad. Shielded my dad from the other police officer who would dropped to his knee and reached for his gun and had other police officer pulls that gun out, walks over to my dad, puts the gun to my dad's said, takes the gun out of my dad's hand, looks at him and says, you son up a bitch, and he turns around to Jeff's dead body and eventually kind of rolled Jeff over. Eventually he would shut Jeff's eyes. But yeah, so that's how that all went down.
Speaker 1: And I mean in that it was reverberated, it became it's still kind of a viral clip. People are still see it's like a meme or something.
Speaker 2: But a couple months ago, yeah, I said, a couple months ago, I screenshoted it. Someone had posted it. I think it may have been the Father's Day meme and my dad and it said it was shared over one hundred thousand times and it had four point one million views in four days. Wow.
Speaker 1: Wow, And that's just in one spot. That video is all over the internet. Is a meme too.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, they got laser eyes and people always on Twitter. I was talking to my business partner because we're trying to, you know, turn the book into a documentary and maybe a feature film. But he told me, he said, oh, when you bring up sexual abuse, they just want to they want to shy away from it, which I think is a BS because I just watched a show on child rate, kidnapping and murder called Girl in the Picture. I just watched that this week or last week, that probably was this week, and actually the one the only cool thing about the whole show was a very terrible, depressing show, was that the what she had given up the baby for adoption when a baby grew up and had a kid, and at the end and the little baby's wearing an LSU shirt like where I went to school.
Speaker 1: So that was kind of top ten show. That was a top ten show on Netflix. People.
Speaker 2: Yes, so they're telling me, Oh, they're telling me, oh, as soon as you mentioned sexual abuse, they want to shot away from him. I'm like, that's bool because you can watch Larry Nasser Athlete one or A or whatever. I mean, that's about molestation and rape. So I think what it is is they don't want to glorify my dad doing what he did and getting off from it. Yeah, so I know. So I actually I told my business partner, I said, why don't we try to rebrand it? How about we say why Gary? Why America's first viral video?
Speaker 1: It really is? I mean, it's still out there. And so that that shot one shot Jeff do say, dies instantly and what happens next in the whole story, your dad gets arrested, Well.
Speaker 2: They arrest my day Aould attempted second degree murder because Jeff had not died yet. Even though he was dead before he hit the floor, they were able to keep him alive long enough to harvest some of his organs. So I guess he was not completely worthless. He was able to do some good in his death. But so my dad of course was arrested put in jail. He shot him on a Friday night, so he couldn't post bail till Monday morning. When he got out of jail on Monday morning, he went straight to a psychiatric facility, or maybe he went to his friend's house for a couple of days, but eventually he was put in a psychiatric facility to be evaluated for about a month, and then after that he moved back home. My parents had been separated, and they had told my mother that he won't be drinking anymore. He can't, and so she welcomed him back. And it probably was I've seen someone suppost another day said, oh, I didn't talk to my dad for fifteen years, which was not true. Maybe fifteen days. But I remember sometime probably in July of eighty four, me and my dad and you know, my cousins and my brothers and sisters were all walking down to the neighborhood pool and and me and Daddy were kind of upfront and we were talking, and I just remember that day, just on a way to pool, tell him like, Okay, I don't I'm not mad at you. I don't blame you. I understand why you did what you did. It's not it's not what I wanted, but you know, I'm not. Just don't think I'm mad at you anymore, because at first I was mad at.
Speaker 1: Him, right, and you were kind of had a kind of conflicted thing like as a young person, which is not unusual in uh, you know, molestation things like you think.
Speaker 2: No, not at all. No, the abuser uses the child's affection as their their biggest security blanket. You know. I didn't want jeff dad, I didn't want him. Uh. I just wanted him to quit full with me, not just me. I didn't want him to move on to somebody else. I just want him to not you know, to screw kids. And so looking back, and I tell people all the time, I don't advise any parents to follow my fallow's footsteps because he got lucky because eventually, to the listening on its who don't know, he got sentenced to probation in community service. He didn't do any other jail time than that weekend, the night of the shooting. It's more important for a parent to be there for their child. Ellie Nessler back in nineteen ninety three in California shot and killed the man who had, you know, allegedly molested her son. She ended up going to jail and now her son is serving life in prison because you know, he was anger management. He ended up beating a guy to death because he stole some tools, So it's more important that you're there for your child. So don't look at my dad and think that's the right thing to do. And my dad got lucky because he didn't go to jail. He still had four babies at home that he had to take care of a wife, So I guess if they were separated before the shooting, the wife maybe didn't factor in. But I mean, he still had four kids and he didn't need to go to jail for the rest of his life.
Speaker 1: And you were very fortunate in a lot of ways because it seems like you adapted back into the society. School, seems like the community really kind of rallied around you. Did you get that kind of sense?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean even today rarely, rarely, I mean there are your people who like, will you know it's not you shouldn't take the law into your own hands. And I got a clip my dad was on Sally Jay Jesse Rafael, and I've got a clip of my dad. Sally Jesse looks at my dad and goes, you don't believe in taking the law into your own hands, do you? He said, no, I don't, And she was but you would do it again? He said, yes, I would, so he didn't believe in vigilantism, he didn't believe in taking law in your own hands. But also he didn't believe that you screw with someone's family like Jeff did. So I guess that's where his mental anguish was coming from him because he was torn between this is my family and I'm gonna protect my family versus that I shall not kill and I'm going to hell because that was the first thing my mother told my dad. She said, yeah, you know you're going to hell and he said yes, and he was okay with it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And so that kind of der whole book is your story, but it's also your career too, because you talk about grooming and how to you know, how to keep sites out for molesters and things like that. Can you talk about that part of your life?
Speaker 2: Okay? I would, I would say I would, I would qualify or say it like this about the book. The book is a manual on how to deal with child sexual abuse. Okay, not just as far as like even if your child's never been sexual abuse, how to act around them, things not to say around them, also signs to look for ways to reduce your risk. I mean, it literally is a violence I mean a sexual violence prevention manual with my story kind of being like we've threw out of it, you know, So it's almost like two stories one. So locally here in Baton Rouge, we had a teacher get arrested I think two weeks ago for one hundred counts of child porn like elementary school teacher, male elementary school teacher. Well, my sister knew a woman whose daughter took from that guy, and a year ago the daughter was acting really strange, and my sister gave that woman a book and said here, does my brother's book read it? And she didn't. So my sister called me last two weeks ago and said, you know what do I tell her? She's like, I said, tell her to start it chapter eight, like I find Danny. You want to hear my story, it's the first seven chapters. If you want to get to the I think it's no. Maybe chapter twelve. I said, tell her started chapter twelve, because from chapter twelve to up until the last couple of chapters, that is my career. That is me talking about real live things that happen at Victims Services Center, or real life things that's happened that have observed on TV like the Jerry Sandusky situation at Penn State. So it actually is is a very educational book, right.
Speaker 1: I totally agree. And you talk about examples like when young kids know certain things that adults know.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, Turtle Girl Turtle Girl and said, this is the fun part about doing the book. It's like, so I actually did hire a book writing company to help me, and so thirty five percent the kind of like the self help part, that's kind of what they did, and the rest is what I wrote. But uh and when they actually when they I was reading their original draft, they had said that I had taken the phone call with Turtle Gold, but I didn't. My person I supervised took it. And she came to me like white is a ghost, eyes big and you know, wide open, and she was like this mother wants to know. She thinks her daughter's being sexual abuse. And I'm like, what was the case. And for the listener, the girl was like five or six years old and she drew a turtle with an erect penis. And then when the teacher asked her, can I say it on the air.
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, she drew an erect penis.
Speaker 2: And when a teacher asked her what it was. She used a slang term that a you know, comedium would use, and yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, and so like a five six year old girl should not know what an erect penist looks like, let alone the slang term for it. So that was that was one example. But there, you know, there were a few other other cases, like the one drunk woman who all the guys were lined up, like she was so drunk, like she didn't even know where she lived. We had to look at her driver's license so we could take her home and put her in bed, and like she had no recollection of how she woke up the next day. Case she was taking pain pills and drinking, and if we would have taken her home, somebody would have taken her home and rape her.
Speaker 1: Right, So there's like all kinds stuff, And you talk about bystander interventions very important, like people can intervene and stop and oh absolutely.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, And and there's certain things like I know, when it comes like going to a bar, you know, if someone's creeping you out, you can ask for a certain shot. And I think bors and then this is one of the thing I wish more bar owners would read the book, is that they would do that, they would put in the bathrooms, like, you know, we're here for your safety. If someone's making you uncomfortable and you need a ride, you know we'll get you an uber. I mean, there's all kind of that in there as well.
Speaker 1: Right, So there's just tips like real life tips and things like that, what a predators look for. Don't get involved in risky situations, you know, avoidance actually real things about grieving, coping, uh, surviving. Those are all really important elements about people and how they how they respond to kind of those you know uh sections.
Speaker 2: The most the most important thing that I tell people, like I think it's the most important thing about uh child sexual abuse is in order for someone to abuse a child, they have to get the child alone. So if someone wants to spend more time with your child than you do, that's a red flag. Actually it's a red rocket huge.
Speaker 1: Like that's it. Like they were they're finding some reason for some way too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I even I even I mentioned that because me and my nephew, I took him to the I took him to the LSU basketball game, but my brother called me. They were busy, they didn't have time. They're like, hey, can you bring my nephew Dylan to hit He had a basketball game. He was in middle school and he had a basketball game and they didn't have anyone to bring him. And I said, okay, I'll bring him. I didn't seek it out. I've never done anything with him ever since. But I was able to help my brother out. Now someone's constantly come on, don't come run with your uncle, Jody. Yeah, creep, stay away from him.
Speaker 1: Right, So there's a lot of warning. There's a lot of warnings on some people miss but like you said in the book, it's usually somebody very close family member, someone that you know and trust. Yeah, they try to get the trust, the whole element of trust. Jody. What would you like to add word about thirty five minutes, Anything you'd like to add or anything I missed before we wrap up this discussion.
Speaker 2: I mean, just again, I'll tell you what. I even have a free link to anyone who just wants to book I did. I mean, trust me. I want you to buy it. You can go to Amazon dot com. Why Gary, why it's there. I want you to buy it, but I want kids not to be molested. So if you can't afford the book, or you know you're hesitant, just email me. You can go to my web page Jodyplos dot net. I'm on Twitter at jploche H. I'm on fake book. You can message me. I mean, to me, that's the most important thing. But I really want every parent to read it. It should be sold in like women's hospitals where they have babies, like it should be. It should be given every parent. I wish, I wish some rich dude would listen to this and say, Okay, you know what, I'm gonna buy a million copies and we're gonna put them in all the little hospitals where babies are born. You know. I mean, but it really is, and it really is an important book.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because you're it's harm prevention. You're keeping people out of harm and going.
Speaker 2: Through the well, let me ask you this question, because I mean, I know you kind of you know, went through it a little bit, kind of you know, reading here and there. Did you find anything in there that you thought was funny? Because like I literally I tried to mix humor in there to where people aren't trying to slit their wrest when they're done. So I think I think there'll be moments where people will laugh out loud. I had I gave or she actually bought a book to this bartender about a month ago, and she did a review on it and she said, I've never read a book where I was crying and then laughing out loud in the same paragraph. So I mean, I don't go into that much detail, because you know, I didn't want like pedophiles to read it like penthouse form. But I don't think there's enough to trigger a victim. I mean, you might have to put it down and come back to it later, but I took that into consideration as well. So if anyone is a victim and is reading the book, and the only really negative review I got on Amazon was Old Crystal, she said, I'm bragging, and I immediately I screenshot it posted on Facebook and I said, you damn right, I'm bragging. You know, I was sexually abused for a year, I was kidnapped, my dad shot the guy on TV, and I turned out I was able to graduate from college, I was able to give back. Yeah, so maybe I am bragging, but I.
Speaker 1: Get that sense. I got the sense that you went through it and then you wanted to make sure give that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I wanted to make sure I gave back. So people who've never been through something like that and would wonder like, why would he keep going to karate, Why wouldn't he just tell his parents the first time he touch them? I want to I give you that. I let you know kind of what I was experienced, how they do it, and you'll have a better understanding of the topic this and then it's a scary topic that people don't like to talk about. But I think when you read this, you'll be comfortable reading it, and you'll you'll be able to learn a lot.
Speaker 1: I think. So it's very like accessible. It doesn't read like a self help book to me. It reads like somebody telling their story. So I think that's an important difference in some of these other books that are too too clinical or anything like that. Can you say, Jody, can you say your website again?
Speaker 2: It's Jody Plosha dot net. That's j O d y p l a u c h e dot net. And for anyone who's never seen the unedited version of the shooting, it's on there.
Speaker 1: It's on there. And so then it's ploche p l a U c h E dot net and people can reach out to you there too, so they have contact information.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm very you know how I got how we kind of got in touch. Someone on the comments of YouTube mentioned you, and I guess they reached out to you. So I mean, I'm very, very, very easy to get in touch with.
Speaker 1: Awesome. Well, thanks so much for your time, Jody, you really appreciate it. Again, the full title of the book is why Gary, Why and a question mark. But congratulations on the book, thanks for writing.
Speaker 2: It, thank you for having me on as a guest.
Speaker 1: Good luck, all right, thanks Sta there strelright, stand there,