Speaker 1: Welcome to another episode of the Crime Pace. About any dozen podcasts? I really, I'm gonna be honest with you. I haven't wanted to do this, and just the thought of sitting down for two hours and doing a podcast has seemed so unappealing to me. I'm just fucking done with it. I'm not done with I just need a break. I got so much other shit going on, got stuff. I got a draw I'm going to this aeroid conference in uh September. They want me to draw something for them. They're getting they're getting charges, of course, right, And I was just in fucking where the fuck well, I didn't even know where I was. I don't even know where it was anymore. I don't know where I am. I don't know where I am now. I could be in my office here in South Texas while it's one hundred and four degrees outside hotter, because you know, the city I live in, they hate trees. It's part of the culture down here. We'll get into that later, but uh, you know, I don't even know where I am anymore. I was in where'd I go? I was in Chicago, did a show in Chicago and a show in Milwaukee. Then I did. Then I came came on down the Louisville Uh, did a show there for almost two hundred people. Fuck, it was a lot up was it two hundred? Maybe it was two hundred? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: Then I did this is all like short notice too. Then I did a show. I was at Callowe, North Carolina for their Native Plant Conference, which I thought. I thought they weren't gonna be fans. I thought there because it could you know, you never know, right and see it instead of college you see, I'm not making any judgment, but they ended up loving the ship out of it. It was good, the fun presentation show people cool plants from all the world talk some shit ship ship all over modern horticulture and uh and landscaping and and then uh yeah, and then where'd I go from that? And then I went to Columbia, South Carolina, which they just invited me on a whim and it worked out. That was fun. That was a nice stayed with some wonderful people there, uh who put me up for two nights. Uh. And then in between after Callowe, between Klowe and Colombia, I got some time with Adam Black and Lily to go look at some rare plants in Appalachia, went up to like six thousand feet, which on the east coast is pretty high, and saw, god, the pipeline swaltails were everywhere. They were hitting these lilies on the road. Lilium's superbum and I forget where we went what was a blue Ridge park where so it was fucking beautiful. We went up into the red spruce zone. They're not going to be there much longer, probably another one hundred years if that. Climate change is definitely gonna take those out, and they can't go any higher, right, the spruces, but they can go higher latitude, I guess, but I suppose there are I'm not familiar with that species. There's probably a bunch at higher latitudes. But it was cool to see those the whole I mean the whole fucking time. We were seeing incredible stuff. We went to one of those vertical bogs, got to check out the Triantha glutenosa, which is a carnivorous plant that wasn't known to be carnivorous until recently. Suppose I mean Triantha occidentalis, the one that they did. They did researchers did nitrogen isotope testing on to make sure it was actually consuming via with you know, with enzymes, consuming the insects that it trapped on. Its sticky pedugles, sticky sticky peduncles could be are safe word know what that means? Huh you filthy fuck? Just kidding, there's no shame here.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: But but Trianthon glutinosa, and then there's another Triantha in Florida I forget the name of. Then there's one in Japan. The Japanese one may not be carnivorous, who knows, they've probably been separated for a long time, but triantheic glutenosa and Triantha accidentalis both are. I don't I don't think glutenose has been confirmed with again nitrogen isotope, But for fox sake, they're sticking its there, you know. I'm sure that's inherited. I'm sure it wasn't just Triantha occidentalis that evolved the capacity to digest insects. I'm sure glutenos is doing it too. You know, you got to get some guys in there with the nitrogen isotopes and stuff to tell them about the knie frogeniotopes. Don't tell them about that. Tell them what you tell them what it does, and you know all that stuff, you don't explain it to them like you explain it to me. Nice. I put a post up on face crook and some guy was like, actually the paper with the boat. Try at the octaden. Get the fuck out of you take how you take a hike, buddy, hah.
Speaker 2: And uh.
Speaker 1: And then so the fucking blue the Appalachian Mountains were beautiful. It was fucking incredible, even though we were just like doing car botany right, like driving from point to point step and getting out. Got to see buffalo nuts, not to be confused with buffalo scrotum, which is the name for Callicanthus, which Callacanthus the genus is. It's a you know, they make flowers that are like a deep burgundy red smell like port wine. There's an East Coast species and a West Coast species. The West coast species is known as California spice bush. But if you call this one spice bush, because of how stupid common names are to begin with, people think you're talking about lindera. I think benzoin, which is in the avocado family low race. These are both more basal angiosperms, and by that I mean earlier branching lineages. Okay, more like ancestral lineages, not very derived but but but anyway, but we got to see that. But it's funny. The fruits and Callicanthus floridas look literally like a scrotum. It's very impressive, right, like a pair of like nasty old man truck nuts that you might see some rednecks hanging off the back of our take truck. Not's still a thing the people still do that. I haven't seen it in a while. A friend of mine told me about some neo Nazis he saw in Phoenix with a pair of truck nuts. I wonder if those dudes have gotten shot yet. Possibly possibly could be. You know, the rages in our society, the rages never directed where it belongs. It's always just it's it's misdirected, right, it's just just entropy just goes everywhere. Right, if you directed, it's not as bad anyway. Good job Luigi anyway. So, but as I was saying, the Calacanthus fruits really truly do look like a scrotum. It's one of the most fascinating things I've ever seen. And then buffalo nut, which is oh god, I'm already forgetting the name. Let's look up Santa Laci. Here's why I need ainad. It's like an old man, old man who can't remember names of shit. He has to write everything down. Pyrollaria pubera, which is buffalo nut, which in Santa Lacey. The sandalwood family is of course parasitic, but it's hemiparasitic. It's got chlorophyll in it, and it's doing photosynthesis, but it's it's also got hostorial roots through which it taps into host plants, and Pyrolaria pubera definitely does that, and I guess it's not it's not edible, though there is an edible species in India. I love thinking about that, these lineages that are so how fucking old do you have to be to have a species in the same genus in India that uh as the as the same genus as the species that grows in the two different species same genus, but you know, separated by ten thousand miles. Ones in uh North Carolina one is in ones in India? What is it is that? Where is that where Edgela is from? Let's you know what. Let me look at this because I want to give you a bad dopier. Let me look this up. Pyrolaria, the buffalo nut. What is the Indian species? Oh shit, not India, Bangladesh, It's into Himalayas. Damn that's wild and you got you got some in unn So it's I would guess it's more of a you know, that's interesting too, because that's more of the the uh temperate Asia slash Eastern North America. This junction, which is the thing really fucking fascinating. Yeah, Pyrolaria edgeless only five observations on igh naturalist. It's higher elevation Himalayan species. You know those Himalayas. They're really uplift and quick. There you could see, I love it. You could see the fucking convergent plate boundary on a topographic map. You could see where India is literally ramming into the ramming into Asia. Just pounding it hard, daddy, and uh but much. But this is the thing, the Eastern North America slash Asia disjunction. How many genera have occur in both places but with different species, right, and of course this is a disjunction. Asa Gray talked about this was Asa Gray prick. I wonder if he was. I bet he was a little bit of a stiff. I bet he had a little I bet he sniffed his own farts a little bit. Right, he was part of that like aristocratic uh you know, white society back then very you know, very esteemed very But but maybe he was on a level too. You know, if you if you could go back in time and those asa gray like you could both go eat mushrooms toget are in a woods or something, you know, would you have whatever be them? Wud he just start freaking out? Or would what would it be like? You know, or would it be he'd be expounding on different philosophical points, he'd be pontificating. I wonder you know you got because I bet some of those people back in the day, if you got them loose and got them to, you know, kind of be aware of their own bullshit. Little bit of self awareness is what psychedelics are good for. Maybe they'd loosen up, they'd unclenched. They'd be fun to hang out with, right, you know, maybe they would let go of the classism and and cast ideology that they they cling to as part of the you know, we're the esteemed class, and you know, maybe they'd let go a little bit of that and see that we're all connected. I don't know, you know, I sure wish people where I live would do that. You get the self hating Mexican thing that here, Okay, we'll talk about that later. Let's keep going and self hitting Mexican American thing very important. They're American, They're not Mexically, They're Mexican American. They want you to okay, by by day, I'm talking about the dominant culture. All right, let's we'll talk about that later. All right, So uh, and we'll talk about how that plays into native plants and shit too, because it certainly fucking does. It's very, very frustrating to work with, right It's it's like a friend of mine always says, you know, inability to love yourself is responsible for a lot of the pain and suffering cause in the world. But before we get into that, you know, I'm not trying to get all Eastern philosophy and here, let's just talk about the disjunctions. So the Eastern North America Asia disjunction, the theory being, and I presume how this happened because those places are on opposite side of the opposite sides of the globe. Is that you know, probably during warm before the Ice Age, warmer times, right, maybe Miocene. I think it really when did it? I wonder when you know, climatically the Earth really started to cool off significantly to the point that you know, sixty degrees latitude north for instance, was no longer warm and temperate, and when it started to be uh, you know, freezing and too cold for and tundra basically. But anyway, the point I'm getting to is, before you know, the higher latitudes farthest away from the equator started to freeze and turn into tundra, there was there were forests up there there We know this. There were Metasaquoia forests up on axel Heiberg Island in the Arctic. Antarctica, of of course, wasn't always an ice box it was. There's micro fossing on the South Pole. There's micro fossil pollen of na though vegas and many potocarps which are now which are tropical conifers temperate in New Zealand but mostly tropical in other places. Tropical conifers warm warm climate conifers. There's you know, the fossil record on an arcticle's abundant and it's always been where it was, but it wasn't always sealed off from the warmer ocean currents and the rest of the world by that circumpolar current that it's got now that keeps all the warm waters away and keeps it so chilly. But anyway, back to the northern hemisphere at a certain time, probably fifteen million years ago. Same thing with chestnuts, right, there's Chinese chestnuts, there's American chestnuts. Chinese chestnuts, of course, are resistant to blight and it's only a mild pathogen, but the chestnut blight to the north American chestnut is deadly. So anyway, so there's this junction, and of course you go to sixty degrees latitude, it's much less distance required to go around the entire globe, right, because you're at the circumference around sixty degrees latitude at the globe is much smaller than the circumference at the equator. And so there were forests up there, and many of these lineages likely were up there. And then as the climate began to cool and the freezing points what became tundra lowered in latitude, and so you know, now you only had to get really really cold you only had to go to like say, forty degrees latitude instead of sixty degrees latitude. That sealed off that if essentially isolated these forests from each other, right, the and the and the plant lineages there, like East Asia from North America, right, And so then they speciated into different species and so with the same ancestor if you go far enough back. So that's why there are so many different versions of species, different versions of genera in the form of species between eastern North America and Eastern Asia, which is really interesting. I'm looking at another one right now, Diphilias diphilia the genus d I p h y l L e i A. It's in the Podophylum tribe of the Podophylum subfamily of Berbera dec. So what is that? What is potop phylum?
Speaker 4: Is that?
Speaker 1: May apple? Is that the you know, the the Berberous family, the Mahonia family. But it's let me make sure I'm getting this right here, Potophylums may apple. I want you know, you get people correcting common names. Oh, that's stupid, it doesn't it doesn't matter with you. I know someone would do that though, well, actually, pull you it's not potophilem is not made apple. It's the different it is. So I just had to check anyway. So Podophylum's uh, you know the may apple plants which you get in the the understories of woodlands in the Midwest and eastern North America. It's in that it's in that clade Diphialaia and that was another plant that we've seen in apple Atchia elephant ear not very creative of a name, or was it umbrella leaf? It's umbrella leaf is the common name. So in Appalachia you get Diphilea d I p h y l e I A. Again, I don't know to pronounce how what you want. I don't know how you I don't know how you pronounced it. I'm saying Diphilia diphileya whatever, we get dif which is known as umbrella leaf. Yeah, very very creative on it named. And then in the East you get two other species, Diphilia gray eye from Japan and Diphileas sinensis, which I believe I would assume is from China. Right, But this this pattern repeata. Liquid ambars you got, you know, East, you got Asian and Eastern North America liquid ambar sweet gum trees right leriodendron, same thing, and presumably there were these you know, Western North America had many of these plants to these these lineages, you know, fourteen to fifty million years ago. There are fossils of many of them. But then of course Western North America started drying out. When did Western north America really start drying out ten million years ago? I think so, because you know, you could find you could find coniferous forests, fossil coniferous forests that are about twelve million years old east of Reno, where now it's just like you know, fucking mounds of barren lava with desert scrub high desert scrub in them. Same thing with southeastern Oregon, northwestern Nevada, like and massive you've seen massive Metasaquoia stumps. I saw one, God, it was a photo I saw one of my photos i'd taken, like I think it was twenty nineteen of just these massive, like four foot diameter Metasaquoia trunks in this barren area, this high desert area of northwestern Nevada. That and it was beneath the cap of twelve million year old basalt, like there was a little mesa with the twelve million year old basalt, and that we were at the base of the of the mesa and that's where these massive stumps were just coming out of what was basically a massive ash flow deposit. So they had been permenalized some of these some of the wood hadn't even been perfectly permeneralized, like it was still woody and fibers. It was fucking crazy. I put photos up and someone was like, that's not that's what That's not a fossil, that's wood that you split. I was like, man, this is at the base of a It's just like it's thirteen million year old wood. It's at the base of a of a massive trunk of metasaquoia that came out. It was some of the craziest shit I've seen, Like some of the wood like to be able to touch thirteen million year old wood that hadn't even perfectly permineralized. The cells had not filled with silica yet, and of course the silica all came from the volcanic ash above. It really fascinating stuff. So we got the eastern North America and East Asia disjunction. You can tell there's these species are related. They share a common ancestor. They're very closely related, but they've been, you know, through ten million years of isolation, after the higher latitudes cooled and each each population got separated on its respective continent. They have since gone their separate ways and become different species. Right, which is a very important to note too, with what happened with chestnut blight. Chestnut blight and Chinese chestnut evolved together in an evolutionary arms race, tit for tat, you know, the pathogen evolving more virulence, Chinese chestnut evolving more resistance, back and forth over ten million years. And of course in that time, Chinese chestnut gained resistance. The fungus, if you want to think of it, like this basically bred resistance into it. But because the fungus didn't evolve over that ten million years with American chestnuts, right, you bring that fungus over here, it's like that ten million years never happened. Now you've got a hyper virulent fungus strain which has evolved ways to get around all the defenses of the host plant, the chestnut that it evolved within its Chinese chestnut that evolved within its home ecosystem. It's like that didn't happen here, and so now it's got It's way more virulent than the East. You know, the North American chestnut can tolerate, and it's the North American chestnuts have no resistance, and so it basically causes a functional extinction. Okay, moving right a long. So got to see that diyphilia. That was really interesting. That was a new plant for me. Saw tons of stuff I had never seen before. There was also I believe it was Euphorbia porpoia. It was like a four foot tall euphobia that was growing in the understory, and it was it was reminiscent of like euphobias that you'll see and yeah, it was purpoia euphobias that you'll see or that I've seen in higher elevation mountains of Mexico. And so that's another interesting thing to think about too, is how these lineages. I mean, god, it was so weird for me to see to see a relative of that Eastern North American shrubs Stiphilia excuse me, staphilea, not Stiphilia. Get a confused. Stiphilia isn't eric Cale's. It's like a southern hemisphere member of eric Casey, the blueberry family. This is Staphilea priningly i in the order A cross as so Mautlees. That's a fucking weird one in the family Staphele. But I saw, you know, to see a STAPHILEA pringly eye and this little, you know, refugeal canyon in south of Monterey, in Nuevo Leone, in an area that's surrounded by desert, but it's hiding in this much more wet, humid little canyon with a bunch of oaks and other lineages of plants that you might find. And it felt being there, felt like being in parts of like lower elevation Appalachia. It was crazy. You can definitely see the connection. And so it makes you think about how these plants have moved, you know, over the last however many thousands of years, millions of years, et cetera. I wonder if there's an Eastern if there's an Asian Staphilea. Ah, Indeed there is. Yes, there's seven species in China, Staphilea japonica that looks like that's probably used ornamentally because the the bladder nuts are red. American bladder nut is the name for Stafilea trifoliata, which is the one you'll get in in the east, and then stapha Lea pringlii in Nuevo Lao, Mexico. And then yeah, there's like seven species. Yeah, I could see the being. That's why this this East Asia North America its junction is also why so many species from Asia are so fucking invasive in eastern North America, right, because it's such a similar climate, Like they're so it's climatically very similar, but without any of the checks and balances, you know, so you'll have different There's so many you know, like euonymous think of that one. Like, there's so many Eastern Asian versions of genera species that we get in the air, native to the east coast of North America, and those are always what get planted in horticulture, which again is like this weird, it's part of this God, I loved attacking horticulture. It's just it's just so fucking again, they were broad over because they're exotic and they're more pretty. I don't know why. I don't know why you would prefer, you know, a nine thousand miles away version of a plant that you've got here of a native plant you've got here, which is adapted to the ecology. Right, it doesn't make any sense. It's fucking weird, but that happens all over the world. That's just what people do when they have when they when horticulture is done. And that's part of the whole problem with it, is like this tie in between just planting for beauty and the tie in between like wealth and horticulture too. Got there's so much fucking classism tied into all these shit. The more think about it, I was at, Okay, we'll just get into it now. I was at this meeting last night in the city for the city council here to get this native plant ordinance passed, and I was not going to the monthly meetings they were having. My friends were. I kind of I didn't bother with the city because you're starting from square one and everyone. I'm just so used to people everywhere being indoctrinated into the crape myrtle and oleander landscaping, the horticultural atrocities, you know, the shit that just to me looks gaudy and goofy and ridiculous and very anti nature. And then I think, in many ways, of course, indoctrinates people to hate nature, which it totally does, and to think nature's messy. And that's something I've learned, especially being down here in the borderlands in South Texas. But the tie in between cultural shame mixed in with native plants and kind of the self hate, which is again this is like a Tejano thing, right, you get a little bit of Mexico too, because of the result of the Spanish, the Spanish influence, right like the and me and my friend Carlos talked about this on the podcast we did together a couple months ago, right like, and especially in the north where a lot of the indigenous culture was wiped out, but it was kept alive in the south, right Like you go to Wajaka, they embraced the shit out of native plants there. There's a lot of room for native plants. There's there's art with fucking cacti and agaves and lots of appreciation for up here. Though in the north of Mexico it's very different. There's a lot of more of that what I call the abwe leah landscaping derisively so because it's like the Spanish abuelita, like you know, the manicured gardens. Everything's got to be hedged. What happens if you don't hedge it? If what if you don't hedge it? A bush to look like a fucking horse moll er? What happens to it? Does a little garden a little garden troll come out and spank you? You know that kind of stuff, The oleanders, the pretty flowers, like rediculous stuff that looks ridiculous, like plants you would never encounter in nature. They look gaudy, they look goofy, like the same way you'd never encounter a fucking poodle or a pug in nature. No offense to poodles or pugs. They look fucking ridiculous though, right, You never you never encounter as a nature. There are things that have been bred by people with because nature's not good enough. Nature's messy, you know. And so we they were my friends were going to meet with these people that run the city once a month, and you know, there's and but this has been two years in the making, and it's the progress has been made as much as you can make. There's some people that are real just not they're real thick. They're not going to get it. Like one guy, one guy at the city council is trying to say, you know, we should only limit plants to being thirty percent of someone's yard. The rest needs to be turf grass. Fucking crazy, just like you know. And this is the guy who's responsible for a lot of decisions that get made in the city. Like I don't know if a tree fell on his cousin or something or what. He's got something personal, But the guy hates plants. He hates plants, he hates trees. I don't know what his deal is. It's I mean, it's literally this insane, unthinking bias towards mode bermuda grass that's half dead anyway, because it's so hot here, you know, and even if you water, I mean, you would have to have the thing on a constant drip, basically be growing it hydroponically in the ground to keep it green. It's just so fucking hot, right, It's one hundred and five degrees for six months out of the year and then it's summer for eleven months out of the year. I don't know what it is, but he wanted it to be thirty percent native plants. This is the guy that's responsible for why the drainage canals are always getting scraped. They go in there with a back home, completely devoid of any thought or practicality, not realizing that roots are what prevent the soil from sloping, these really steep slopes from eroding. Right, if you don't have plants there, they're going to erode. I think it's this thought that, like, we need to keep the drainage canals clean, right, But they're not going in there and scooping out dead plant material. They literally scoop the sides of the canal, which again, every time you do it, it widens the canal and makes the slopes steeper, and so the ground starts eroding. You get a twelve foot tall slope that's just you know, subsiding. Basically, it's fucking crazy, man, Like it could be. It could have trees along it to shade the canal, you know, hold the root, hold the prevent the sides from eroding. Whatever, that would make too much sense. Again, it's just this idea that the native plant are messy and bare. Concrete, bear asphalt and mode turf grass are clean. That's really all it is. It's so hard to understand if you're not if you don't live down here, like if you haven't experienced it, and it ties into the culture too, because it's crazy. It's again, it's ninety eight percent Mexican American. The only time you see white people down here, it's almost always Mormon. I mean, there's a sprinkling of Caucasians, Caucasians, there's a sprinkling of Caucasity. But anytime you see white people down here, it's like anytime I see white people in my neighborhood, they're fucking Mormons. It's like there's like missionaries, you know, they're like the fresh faced, young pink boys and girls coming here to spread the good word of Jesus. But of course leaving out all the important class issues, leaving out his hatred for the rich. He didn't hate anybody, but you know what I mean, his distaste for the rich, his distaste for those who wanted status in and uh and to be seen as elite amongst their community and hold power over others. Right, it's you're never hear'm talking about anything. Okay, that's a that's a diatribe. But it's really hard to imagine if you've never been down here. Every other I've been in Mexican neighborhoods, Mexican adjacent neighborhoods my whole life. Right, then, there's always been you know, colorful murals, there's always been a strong there were brown pride movements in the sixties and seventies. None of that happened here. None of it happened here. And so it's a really peculiar place to study this effect, which is this weird shame that gets associated with with with I mean, so many elements of the culture, but especially with having like nopal or mesquite in your yard. Right, it means like you're you're messy, you're poor, you you you didn't escape the rancho like it's these severely fucking toxic ideologies, right. And of course down here you get parents that don't teach their kids Spanish. I mean, you get parents down here. And I know this because this is the case with friends of mine, parents who tell their children not to go out in the sun because they will brown. Don't use the natural melanin that you got. That you're you're fucking gifted by inheritance, which prevents skin cancer and prevents you from burning, Okay, and of course is adaptive at lower latitudes, not adaptive at higher latitudes you want need sixty latitudes, sixty degrees latitude. You know, you got to take vitamin these supplements if you got too much melanin or something right. But down here it's adaptive and there's just this is just science. It's just good biology behind this, how it works. It's just different ecotypes of humans essentially, that's all. That's all it is. It's just melanin. But the cultural baggage that's associated with all this bullshit is what focks people's heads up. And so it's it, you know, And of course it's I'm not a sociologist, I'm not a fucking anthropologist. But my ball my ballpark is native plants. And when I see people hating their natural heritage because of how they've been taught to hate their own fucking cult, it's it makes me pissed off. It makes me sad, and then it makes me mad. And so I don't know, there was never there was never like a movement down here that said, fuck you, you know, we're proud, fuck you were Mexican. All this shit, you know that that is so important and vital to other areas of the United States. There was never that, you get this weird and and the classism it's associated with this too, like you're poor if you have the native plants, you're a bum. You're not trying toward one of the guys afterwards, he was a nice guy. So the really nice guy, really nice to handle dude spoke up after the end and he said, you know, I don't I'm obviously outnumbered here, but you know, I think you know, there's a house around the corner from me that's got you know, the plants growing right up on on the street right, he's got cactus in there. And I was the first I was like, oh shit, is he talking about me? Because it's it's like that sounds like my house. But but you know, but there was a street that was that that the a house that's you can't even see the house. I was thinking my head, I'm like, why do you want to be able to see the house? Why are you obsessed with seeing the house? Why is someone gets a fence in front of her yard right at which people? Do they want privacy? Why do you need to see the house? Do you need to be looking in their windows or something? You're like, you want to check on what people are doing. You want like, why does it matter? That's weird? Number one. Number two, people don't maybe they don't want to see the bleak parking lot across the street, or they want, you know, they don't want the road noise coming or whatever. We to forget about whether you could see the house. A weird point. But that's been that's the third or fourth time it's been brought up. And so anyway, this guy, you know, nice guy, nice enough guy, but just a little brainwashed and unaware that he's been brainwashed, you know. But he said this thing when he was talking about it, and later on too, I asked him because I went up to talk to the guy, you know, and I was really nice, because I here's who I want to talk to the most, Like I want to hear what he is to say so I can understand this weird, deranged ideology. But I didn't say it like that. I was really nice to him, you know, no shame, so I'm not trying to shit on the guy. And and he told me the address. Later I went and looked at it was a fucking dope house. It was a dope yard. It looked beautiful. But one thing he said after he said, you know, take some pride where you live, you know, which is so indicative of a problem to me that you think that that mean that that person doesn't have any self respect for themselves. That's how heavily you've been bamboozled. You think the person that that has a really nice garden that's obviously well maintained, like the edges were cut. There was even three feet of mode turf grass between the street and the line of plants. Like it looked good. It looked better than my yard. And I saw it and I was like, damn, that's a good looking house. That person about whoever lives there is probably cool. But they're not a knob. They're not some fucking stiff that you know has been britting no offense to this guy, you know what I mean, But that that site takes some pride in yourself. And the whole time I'm thinking, I'm like, buddy, this person evidently takes pride in themselves. They take pride in the place. It's that their culture has been using for thousands of years. Sounds like you got to take some pride and who you are because you've been taught to have all this shame and associate the plants with it. And I didn't say that to him, of course, because we're not on that level yet. We were just talking outside a city hall afterwards, after he said all this stuff, but you know, it was it was weird to his name is Romeo. He said Romeo, right, that anglicization, which is anohing you get done here, right, Jeseus becomes jesse All. It's fucking so weird, man, it's so fucking weird. I mean it's it's not weird, it's we know why it happens. But I mean, there was a fucking white's only section of my town, the town I live in, up until you know, the sixties, right, dominant populace here as Mexican American, and they got up the there was a there's because there's no white people here anymore. You don't see him anymore. I think they all moved out. I don't know what happened. I don't study the demographics of what happened here, but there was a white's only section at one point. There's not anymore, but the populace is forgotten that that's the way it used to be, right, And yeah, you could talk about you know, you hear some college kid with blue hair and accept them ring. It's colonization, yeah, yeah, a little bit, a little bit, But it's a little bit more than that, because you see this shit in Mexico two. You see it all over It's it's classism, it's a caste system. You see people all over the world. This is I don't know what this is tied to, what causes it, but any excuse humans can have to feel superior to each other and feel higher than one another. This is the kind of shit that comes out, you know, the hierarchies to create the social hierarchies. See chimps doing the same thing too, right, It's one thing to create hierarchies of you know, someone to lead and someone whatever designate the designate responsibilities to different members of a of a group. Right. But but the weird caste system that I'm better than you ideology, that's some fucking poison right there, and you I see it all over the fucking world. It's some toxic shit. So yeah, he's a colonialism, yeah a little bit, there's a little bit of that, But also this is just some sick shit that people do to each other. What's the root cause of it? Alienation from the living world, lack of humiliate. I don't know. I don't know. It's all cultural shit. I don't like I said, I don't study culture. I just talk shit. I don't study culture. That's not what I do. I don't. To be fair, I don't think sociologists really study culture too. I think a lot of them are sniffing their own parts anthropology right when you're studying it more from like a human and animal behavioral way of looking at why humans behave the way they do the same way animals behave the way they do. Maybe I give that a little more credit, right, But I don't know. I don't know. I just I know, you know, some kid with blue hair and accept them ring lecturing, Like lecturing this old guy on how he's been colonized is not gonna work if you start talking to him and you kind of get that cause I feel like you could reach people like this, you can, And that's why I want to talk to this guy. I was like, hey, sir. Afterwards, I was like, can you hey?
Speaker 3: I really?
Speaker 1: I know we disagree, but like, I don't care about that. I just want to hear what you like, what you feel, because I see yards that are filled with the plants that evolved here, and I love them. But I go out into nature a lot, you know, And maybe that's my biases. I know what nature looks like here, and that's why I love this stuff so much. Maybe you don't know it. I didn't want to say it that way because I don't want to make the dude feel defensive, you know, But maybe you know people who haven't been exposed to what the nature is here, the stuff they call monty, which literally just means scrub. It's like a derisive term for nature. Clear the monthay right. And I've never lived in a place that hates their native plants more than the Rio Grand Valley does. It's crazy. I mean, the way people treat the land here is fucking insane. It's like a It's like they got a snuff fetish for the native plants, bulldozing it, scraping it, just destroying the shit out of it, scraping it just for the sake of scraping it, cutting down trees even though they're not in the way. You don't need to build anything there, Scraping land even though you're not going to do anything with it. You're not gonna I mean, it's it's really weird. Shit, it's crazy. But uh, you know, I don't know, but it But so I said that to him, I said, I, you know, I've been studying the plants done here. They're amazing, They're incredible. We got incredible stuff on here. Doesn't go anywhere else the United States. Maybe it's just my bias versus yours, you know, whereas like you're used to seeing yards with the nicely hedged oleanders and crpe myrtles and stuff, and you know, but at the end of the day, sir, this is all subjective. So I just wanted to hear like it doesn't matter, it's totally subjective. There's there's pragmatism keeping plants out of walkways and preventing fire. Like I if vegetation is dead, you have to remove it, you right, Living plants don't burn unless they've got resinous oils in them, like eucalyptus or you know, takaate Cyprus, both of which involved with fire. But but dead plants will burn, so you gotta there's you know, that's a pragmatic thing. Keep the dead plants the brush out of the way, you know. So, but I want to how you think about this, and he he he seemed to loosen up a little bit, and he just explained, you know, it just looks messy. I don't like the way that it looks. It's gonna drive down property values. And I said, well, that's again, this is really subjective. There's no way to measure that, because you know, it's one thing to just let our yard go because you you don't care about it. When we had photos of that too, we had some photos who have people who just obviously didn't give a shit. They weren't native plant gardens. They just didn't weed whack, they didn't mow. They had trees that were half dead in their yard with a bunch of invasive bullshit spreading up on that. So we had examples to be like, look, this is a obviously cared for yard. Here's one that someone just let go. But you know, he seemed to loosen up. He was even like, well after hearing some of the stuff you guys said in there, because during the meeting we talked about the heat Island. You know, the guy that hates plants, the city manager didn't give a fuck. He would look like he would have much rather been somewhere else. Had no effect on him, just totally out the launch. Doesn't care. He's not gonna there's no way to change him.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: Lets you throw a bag over his head, give him some psilocybin mushrooms, take him to a van, you know, take him out to the desert and force him to see the beauty in it for six hours. Even then, it probably won't work. He'll probably just you know, call the cops and file kidnapping charges on you, which is a totally understandable reaction. I get it. So but this guy, this this old guy, got to loosen up. But again, you know, when I even asked him, I was like, what, oh what is your name? He told me of rome Romeo? And I was like, oh Romeo. You mean Romeo right, He's like yeah Romeo, Like yeah, see that's again. That's how you that's you get it. That's how you get it.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: It's weird. The two guys that that shot that the two ICE agents that shot that murdered that guy in Minneapolis, Uh Preddy Alex Preddy. They were from here, right, same thing, Jesse Jesse not hejeseus Jesse Right, it's this weird shit man. And I understand where it comes from. It's because the honky doth go. Now I'm talking about culturally honky. Okay, Now, this is not an anti white person thing. I'm saying culturally white. You could be and as I know more than anyone else, you can be Mexican and be culturally white. You could be very culturally white, right, Mexican in melanin content only or maybe not even. And there's a lot of really obnoxious white passing Mexican Americans, many of them that many of them don't like me to hang out in expensive coffee shops and whatever, you know what I mean. But you know, so this is I don't know. It was just it was a weird thing. But I feel I feel better now understanding it a lot since I understand a lot better and also seeing like, man, if that's all it is, all you got to do is teach people how dope the plants are here and how fucking cool they are, and how to take pride in them and lightly, lightly imply that maybe they've been duped, maybe they've been bamboozled a little bit. Right, then maybe you can start to change things. Right, don't fucking go lecture them and shit on them and oh you just the colonies, but you know, you just.
Speaker 3: Maybe this happened.
Speaker 1: You know, why do you hate the nature here? Why do you hate mosquites? You know, they're actually they're an edible tree. They're hearty as hell and drought in full sun. They're really cool plants. You go to Tucson, south south southern Arizona, a lot of cities use mosquits. They embraced their Look at what Brad Lancaster did in his neighborhood, right, he created like a native food for it. Really cool stuff. Right. Why do you hate mosquites? Well, they're invasive and they suck up all the way. Well, they don't really suck up all the water. They're free out of fight. So they send roots down really really deep, and they've got some wonderful adaptations for surviving drought. They basically go drought deciduous. They lose all their leaves. They also bring water up from way deep and give it to their feeder roots to redistribute it into the soil around their feeder roots, which are shallower, more lateral roots. And then that also basically brings up water to anything that's around them. And so they're kind of like a water pump that can benefit the plants around them. They're really wonderful trees. And also yeah, they're edible. They were really important food source for native people lived here in fifteen thou twenty thousand years. You know, maybe the reason that people don't like them is because they come so they become such an abundant tree due to their resistance to being eaten by cows once you've overgrazed a spot and not done rotational grazing. So maybe the reason the mesquites are so abundant and thriving is because the cattle weren't rotated, right, same thing that happens with prickly pair right. And also, mesquites lose those two inch long spines when they get tall. You'll never see long spines on a mature mesquite. You don't see them because they're a way of energy to produce. There's no point in producing something if you're already tall enough and big enough that herbivores can't reach your foliage anyway, right, you start laying it on the same thing like uh, my friend Red would do when he was doing labor organizing in Chicago, right, he would he would work with obviously racist, obviously racist white dudes, white working class guys on the South Side, And he would be going in there trying to organize a fucking switchman's union or engineers or whatever. And he would go in there and they'd say some, they'd drop some, they'd say some. You know, racist shit is tends to happen on South Shide of Chicago and white neighborhoods about blacks or whatever the fuck whoever they've got a beef with, probably just mostly blacks and and And rather than going, oh, wow, I'm not gonna wig with you, yikes, he would just you fucking ignore it. He'd talk a focus on organizing them, and then later on, when he got to know him a little bit more, he would imply, well, you know, they want the same thing that you do. They want the same you do, and there actually you got a lot more in common with them than you deal with the people up top right, and a lot more in common with your brothers and who are also working on the ground, risking their lives out here and moving heavy equipment, and a lot more in common with them than you do with the people that run the company. So you know you want similar things. Man, and it would work. It would fucking work. Holy shit, it would work amazing, right, amazing. That's how you organize people, that's how that's how you get people. So anyway, that's the reason I was talking to this guy, was like, I want to recruit you over to our side because I've never I've done sixty of these fucking yards for people, and I've never once have I gotten someone who said, you know what, this sucks. That'll I wanted to go back to turf grass lawn. I want to go back to spending five hundred bucks a month watering Bermuda and Saint Augustine grass so I can have an open expanse that doesn't get used for anything, nothing, a useless crop. I'm not eating it, nothing else is eating it. It's just out there to look pretty in front of my house. So that when I passed by it for twenty seconds pulling into my driveway at the end of the day, it looks green. I can say I have a nice lown and most importantly, most importantly, what my neighbors think of me is really really important, much more than it probably should be. And so I want them to see my yard and equate that with my societal status. Right. I've never had someone say I want to go back to that. It's quite the opposite. I get people who had no interest in plants or birds or any of that shit texting me being like, man, all this cool shit I saw coming out, this is incredible. I saw a fucking kiskedi in my yard. I got butterflies. What is this thing? What did you plant? I didn't even see this when you planted it, But now it's, you know, two years later, and it's large and flowering and it looks incredible. Right, That's what I get. So this stuff is addictive, and it's coming. Whether the city likes or not, this stuff's coming. I just did tours. I spoke to four hundred people in fucking Atlanta about native plants, cool plants from all over the world, native plants, and shitty landscaping. This shitty oleander landscaping. This stuff that is the equivalent of a woman who thinks she's not beautiful enough, who's got to put lip injections and fucking gobs of sticky makeup and and butt implants in right, and botox right like that. This is what that's literally what this is. This is what it's like, it looks weird. This landscaping shit looks weird. It looks unnatural. It looks the range. Why do the bushes have to be hedged into molars? Why does the fucking oleander? Why are you planting oleander there? It doesn't it's from nine thousand miles away. It's a dead zone. Why you know, I never see dragonflies hanging out, and you never see all the cool I walk to my I walk outside my front door. I'm getting there's dragonflies, all kinds of cool. Butterflies chasing each other trying to fuck. Wouldn't say that, end up meeting with the city, but that I presume it's what they're doing it. Look, look they're having a really good time. Got you know, whiptail lizards chasing each other around, keeping the roaches down. Got anoles? I got Carolina knowles and the cuban of noles, those invasive ones. I got these Texas spiny lizards. I saw a spiny lizard the signs of a hamburger the other I mean, fuck man, it's amazing. Why would you not want that? Why would I don't understand how you know, and you start to show people this and you don't do it accusatory, and you don't talk it like it's a flaw their character. You know, you just show them lightly. It can change and it's happened. It's happened, whether the city I live in like said or not. And that's what something. That's what a lady said. The lady said, it was actually pretty cool, said this yesterday. She's like, people are already doing this, like this is like regulations or not. People are already doing this. So what do we do?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 1: And it's like, well, here's what we have to think about. But more importantly, why are we doing it? So that's how we structured the presentation. If you're trying to do this in your city structure, what is this and why are we doing it? Why are we doing it? Well, the heat island is a big thing. I had pictures of the little temperature gun out there, a temperature of asphalt, temperature of turf grass which was still one hundred and twenty five degrees fairnight. Thank you Kyle Weiberger from the Native Habitat Project. We I had my launch cause flooding diagram out there. If you're feel free to use that diagram right you can email me for it. Don't be fucking wordy because I'm not going to respond or read it. Just get straight to the point. I don't have then to read emails anymore. I'm sorry. I'll send you the launch cause flooding diagram. How the soil beneath the perennial shrubs or prairie is like a dry sponge, and how the soil beneath turf grass is like a brick. If you pour water on both, which is gonna have a puddle around it? Faster? Think about it. That dry sponge is to get completely saturated before it runs off and starts forming a puddle, right, exact same way that the soil and the soil in the groundwork. Instead's what a bioswale does, right. The only reason they need retention ponds around all these hideous mini mold and mini malls and suburban subdivisions that they build is because it's all turf grass and asphalt, which leads to massive runoff. The water literally can't make it into the fucking ground, and so it runs off. You get massive flooding, and so they have to just drain it away. They wouldn't have to do that, and it certainly wouldn't have to do it as much if they had native plants, native prairie plants, lots of porosity in the soil. It's crazy, though, I mean, the pragmatism behind this. It's not just feel good to use it, you know, use a paper straw. The pragmatism behind this is what it's all about. Because the way we're doing things now is literally killing us. It's fucking ridiculous. I was at my buddy Jose's three days ago. We were planting. You know, he's got a barren front yard, not anymore, but he did, and so we were planting stuff there and just being out there. Man, the fucking heat, because you know, the street in front of his house is pretty wide, and then all the asphalt and the driveway and there's no trees, and you could just feel the heat coming at you.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 1: It was fucking we were sweating our asses off. Right. The sun's already down, it's dark out where. We're planting shit by flashlight, and it is just fucking miserable. We are roast thing. It feels like you're sitting on top of a heat mat, which you are, right, So how do you what do you do about that? Right, you plant shade trees, plant trees along the street. It's where they need to go. Luckily, we have all the legumes, right, not oaks, because oaks put roots out laterally. The oaks are great trees, they're not really native down here, and they put lateral roots out that really fuck up sidewalks and streets. But we've got all these you know, legumes right, like Havardia, palins, paalo Verde, mesquites, ebonies that send roots down super deep. Right. You can see this when you grow them, they get four inches tall, the roots will be three feet deep already. They're massive. I mean they get these massively, extremely long, deep roots and they don't really go out, and you can grow them in PVC tubes and see this. So you plant those along the streets, which of course you rarely see here unless it's a poor neighborhood, a poorer working class neighborhood, and then that those are the only places that keep their their native trees. Where you can find native trees, maybe you'll find a Mexican olive and a wealthier neighborhood, but mostly what you're gonna find in the wealthy neighborhoods are oaks and crape myrtles and hideous garbage like that. That's totally regionally inappropriate. So you plant the native trees, which are so cool and so embraced in places like southern Arizona, which have you know, same genus, different species as Sonoran desert species instead of a time of leaping thorn scrub version of that genus, And you plant those and get you get shade, You get a nice canopy to walk through onto the sidewalk. It's pleasant outside. When they flower, it smells really good, and you don't have to do anything to them except maybe pruna branch here and there. Whenever a storm blows one down. I had to just take a branch off a Tepawai. Hey, we got a killer thunderstorm here three days ago. It came in like nobody's business. I was in the fucking gym. I was looking outside. I'm like, yeah, it's not gonna come. I'm checking the radar every fifteen minutes, and suddenly it just fucking pisses and there's lightning right upside, and I'm just fuck, yeah, I'm just so so excited, you know, I'm like, fuck because it's so hot. I mean already three days later. The soil is basically already dry. It's been baked a shit, especially if there's no vegetation or covering on it otherwise, and it dries out like a brick, a brick of fucking clay. But I was out there. I ran outside and I was just screaming. I was, you know, I got a little too giddy. I was excited screaming, and then a big lightning you know, the reminder that oh this can actually still be dangerous. This big lightning crash went off right above me. I was like, oh shit, fuck Jesus Christ, get in the truck. You know he's insulated. You're off the ground at least. But uh, but yeah, it took down a couple branches here and there. The winds just get intense and whatever. You got a chainsaw, keep a chainsaw on you. I learn how to, like, I get electric chainsauce, so you can also use it the vandalize crape myrtles at night without making a lot of noise. It's a really important thing. I hope there's kids out there doing that. I hope there's kids out there vandalizing crpe myrtles and nanthena and olean there, just go cut it down. Public property, private property. I'm just kidding. I would never advocate something criminal. But if I were joking around, which I certainly am, I'm just joking. If I were joking, I would say, go out there and just start vandalizing horticulture atrocities where it makes sense to do so. Right shopping Center. I got some crape myrtles. They look like shit. Anyways, they're dead. Maybe it would be a good idea to go cut them down if they're especially if they're like infested with crape myrtle bark scale, and then go plant something nice in the place of it. Right, don't even rely. You gotta keep the land, keep the landscapers away from the land. Don't let them work on any of that. They're they're gonna fuck it up. They're horrible. Unless they're like, you know, unless they've got you know, if they're people who spend time in nature, who have an ear for this stuff, I understand how it works. Right, those are okay, But nine out of ten, they're gonna they're gonna hedge things into molars, They're gonna make it look weird. They're gonna poodle dog tail all the tree. It's weird. The butt plug pruning on the trees. Everyone wants to have a kN of fur that looks like a butt plug. I don't know why. It's more of that latent repression. Probably I would assume, I don't know. It's weird. Shit. It's not good for you. It's bad for you. It's bad to be exposed to it's bad to have to be exposed to it and see it. When you go out to cash a check at a Bankwe everyone does mobile deposits now. But you know what I mean. You gotta go pick up a prescription at the drug store. You have to look at this filth, this trash, right, and that's what it is. It's this landscaping, horticultural atrocity. Shit is garbage. It's poison. It's poisoned for the land. There are always dead zones. Get rid of it. Okay. If an electric chainsaw is going to feel you more emboldened to do that because it doesn't make a lot of noise at ten o'clock eleven o'clock at night in a parking lot, by all means, go ahead and do it. But again I'm just joking. I would never, sincerely, you know, intend for anyone to go vandalize horticultural atrocities, cultivars of plants that evolved nine thousand miles away before they were bred for color by some knob in a greenhouse over the last century. I would never I would never advise someone to do that anyway. So by that was in our presentation, not vandalizing crpe myrtles, of course, but using street trees as infrastructure, using shrubs to help water infiltrate ground the evapple. We even explained the avappo transportive effect of you know when water goes from a liquid to a gas state when it leaves a store model poor opening on an under side of a leaf goes from liquid to a gas state and requires heat to do that, and it pulls that heat from this around the same way a swap cooler works. We explain this to them, even the city manager that looked thoroughly bored and unimpressed the whole time, and you could tell he'd already made up his mind before the the program even started. We'll get to him one day. We're all recruiting one day. There's there's no uh, there's no avoiding it. So and that was the other thing we explained. We're saying, look, this, this is different from what people have been told is what a yard should look like. But there's a way to do this right too, and so it's all a learning process. You guys will learn, you know, instead of mowing lawns, you just you hedge. You keep shit out of the walkways. You hedge the sides so that plants don't grow into the you know, you got to prune a branch here here there so it's not too dense or so it doesn't you know, fall over or spill into a neighbor's yard or hit the delivery truck when they come by. Just practical stuff like that. And that's stuff that you learn as you do this. But this is coming, whether you like it or not. It's already here, you know. And I told him that too. I was like, I just did a tour around the country. We were in la where I was in Atlanta. People are doing this everywhere. It's coming. This is what people want. People know that it doesn't make sense to have turf grass and Saint Augustine grass and trees that require lots of irrigation because they evolved nine thousand miles away, especially when you live in a desert, that doesn't make sense anymore. It's this doesn't work. So it was a good turnout, you know, yeah, it was. It was all I think I was the only white dude there. Well, no, Allen was there too, Alan Williams. But it was you know, it was like it was regional. It was all my friends from the region. My buddy Eric was there, who looks like he dresses really nice, but he does look like he just got out of prison. He's super swollen, he's got shaved head. You know, he's like fifty, really fucking nice guy. He just got in the native plants last couple of years. He didn't know anything about it. He was just in the kind of into gardening and then realized how cool all the all the time a leaping thornscrub stuff. Was got really into it. He was there. He's got a really big, deep voice. So it was you know, it's good. Maybe it'll get some of the the people that have been in the mostly men. It was most the people that spoke out against this that didn't like it. It was mostly men. I was surprised it wasn't It wasn't a women. It was mostly it wasn't surprised. But there's I know, there's one lady in a city hall who really hates my yard. Maybe she loosened up a little bit. She wasn't there, but anyway, the mayor told me she watches my videos. That was kind of funny. I was like, oh shit, Like gosh, she's like, I watched your videos. Go christ you're a fan. No tell me that you're gonna make me self conscious about what I say. No more dildo jokes for for me anyway, But uh, I don't think of me. You know, I've I've kept the recent videos pretty pretty PG but proud of myself. Right, it's a I've made it for a more appropriate audience, trying to reach a more appropriate, more a broader audience. But yeah, but most of the resistance came from like these dudes, Like there's like like two or three, like thee Hano dudes like Dine in the wall. You know, probably if I were to go out on a limb and guess people's ideology, I would say, maybe they associate plants and native plants some of them maybe maybe you know, with something like being gay. Who knows, which of course is fucking fine. But you know, in a heavily machismo culture, it's it's looked down upon. I don't know, I don't know, the weird cultural associations people make. But all that starts to vanish when you realize you've been bamboozled and you realize how cool the living world around you is. All that shit starts to taper off and you realize how ephemeral and goofy it is, and you'd start seeing what's real. So you know, I don't I don't fucking know, but it's it's weird, man, it's weird. You just meet these people who just are again and you can see him grasping its straws to find any reason that they can just mental gymnastics, reaching for anything, to find any reason, just to hate any reasoning, just to hate, hate on and try to limit the native plant thing, you know, because it's messy. It's messy, and the concrete's clean, and this is a status thing. If you've got you know, nepals and mesquites in your yard, you're poor and you don't take pride and where you live, don't you want to hedge it into a butt plug shape or maybe a molar shape and make it look clean, right, it's fucking weird stuff. It's like Spanish colonial gardening style. It's fucking weird right down here. It's a Spanish colonial style. People aren't really going for the Victorian England look. Well maybe a little bit. Maybe, you know, they're trying to do some of that that shit you might see up in Virginia. You know, I've seen some really hideous shit I've been on the road. I would have filmed more. When I was in South Carolina. I saw some wonderful examples. I almost wanted to do another episode of Spiritually Depraved the misery inducing Landscapes, but I didn't have the time. I've been really stretched for time. Time is one thing I have not had. And also it takes me three times as long to do anything, probably because it add the unmedicated add I haven't been taking my meedge lately, been trying to avoid it because it, you know, foxed with me for sleeping at night, makes it harder to sleep at night. So instead I just medicate with coffee and green tea and the occasional cigar. But yeah, that man, South Carolina had they did some real They're doing some real good work out there in terms of creating bleak artificial horticulture, it's incredible stuff. Saw so many crpe myrtles, Bradford pears surrounded by asphalt parking lots, just you know, dead on the inside landscape, nothing to live for. Its just cultural pain spirit but you will pain and suffering, all right. Anyway, the little change up on subject matter. I finally got to see Echinaesia tennessee ensis, which is that endemic ecinaceous species. There are so many endemic species in Tennessee. It's it's wild man. Ariagonum harparai is another one, which that's a monocarpic buckwheat lives for like four to five years, flowers at the end, kind of like the genus phrase zero, which is unrelated, can get six feet tall. Once a flowers, it dies, That's what being monocarpic means. And it grows on these I guess limestone rocky areas along some of the rivers there, And I got a couple points from friends. I mean, you could probably find if you knew what county was in you looked at a satellite map, you could look for areas where, you know, just look for the bedrock at the surface but you know, all the orbarium specimens, all the locations are obscured, which is fucking stupid. Man. No one's gonna go poach a fucking buckwheat. Man, They're not right. No one's gonna go try to rip a buckwheet. Why were you gonna Why are you gonna gatekeep that? It's kind of silly. It's not like an orchid or some cactus or something of the transports easily. Oh well, you'd beat spri I don't know, or like a carnivorous plant. People will definitely post a shit out of carnivorous plants. But no one's gonna go post a six foot tall monocarpic buckwheat. But I guess it's in the Ariagonum launge of folium complex and I I only became aware of its existence after Adam Black texted me after I had already passed. It grows like between Nashville and Knoxville. I was like, really, you told you know, you could have told me this a day ago. I drove right by the fucking thing on a highway but didn't stop because I didn't know it was there, you know. But I was also really excited to see conrad Den ever tissilata, which is a scrub mint. The rest of the genus is in Florida has a really cool ecology. Fire dependent scrub is what the rest of the genus, and Florida grows in really cool bilaterally symmetrical flowers. It is in the mint family lamy ace soo zygomorphic flowers. But this is a species that conray Dena vertissolada grows on these rivers in northeastern Tennessee where I guess there's a relict population a Thuia occidentalis, you know, to eastern arbor vity which that is fucking wild. That's weird because that plant grows on like the shores of Wisconsin. You know, it's it's not something you would associate with the Cumberland Plateau. But Cumberland Plateau is kind of high in the elevation there was like eighteen hundred feet two thousand feet, So I can see how there would be an ice age relict that got stuck there, landlocked there and these little river canyons. But that's fucking wild to me. Arbor vite thuya or thujia if you if you prefer to pronounce the jay, not silently, but anyway, so conra a Deena Vertissolada. I was going to look for it, and there's it's on either side of this river. The side I drove to is the harder to access side. I had to basically ford my truck across two feet of water, which I wasn't sure was going to make it, but it did.
Speaker 4: So.
Speaker 1: Knee height at least on me is about what you can drive a Toyota Tacoma through. And that's pushing it. You know, that's like you don't want to be in there long. You want to drive into it fast enough to get out, with enough momentum to get out. But it was harry for a second versus like on the other side of the creek that you can reach, and the creek is the bridge is destroyed. You can walk across it, but you can't. You certainly can't drive across it. It's fucking out. And so I guess what the ecology of this cool Conradina, this scrub mint, is that it grows in these river canyons and it grows on these these floods scoured every time it floods. That's the disturbance necessary to create the clearing and eliminate any tall, super tall growing vegetar that might otherwise shade this plant out. So I made a video on it. I don't like. It's not a very it's not gonna be very good video, but there's some cool footage in it. At least it's like a forty minute maybe it's twenty minute, thirty minute. And I was walking through poison ivy. I didn't get any I don't know how, me and Louis both. She was being very good, just sweating my ass off. It wasn't even that hot. But I'm in this river, gorgeous, humid as a nutst just oh my god. I was dripping sweat, just crawling through. We got a couple of ticks crawling on me walking through the brush. Really cool habitat selliatris. What is it? Micro god? I forget the name, Thank God for iat because I forget the species names. It's a good way, you know, if if you have in at, it's like writing them down so you can study them. What did I see? What was that liatris? I saw on such and such, So it's mostly what I use ininet for. But microcephala, yeah, micro head. So I got that there was that every There were some fucking cool plants. There are tons solid aggos. I stopped in a beautiful savannah before that, which I still need to make a video on that beautiful Tennessee savannah. Just fucking gorgeous, man, just I mean a true savannah, like three foot tall four foot tall scrub with oaks scattered intermittently. Just a beautiful fucking sight. And I saw this die ernold sphinx moth out hitting all these plants. Fuck, it was so cool. Let me look up the species name so I can give it to you if you want to look it up that you know that savannah was a hold on, let me put up. God. Moths are so fucking dope. They're so cool. God damn it. Harvest durance through that's a separate conversation. But if you don't like harvesturance, you're an asshole. I've been going around to different fire ant mounds and killing them either with boiling water or with this poison that they supposedly sequester into their nest. I think boiling water is the best way to go, though. Go heat up. I got a one gallon thermos. I'll fill it up with with boiling water and then go pour it on the nest. I hate those fuckers fire ants. Plus they kill the harvest dants. Harvest dants are cool. They're big, they're red. They're scary, the Texas harvester rant. But unless you're standing on a nest, they're not gonna bite you or sting you. Rather right, they'll just totally ignore you, and they're they're just cool. I fucking love ants, and they're important food source for many of the lizards, especially the horned lizards. But you know, the invasive fire ants fuck all that up. You can also tell what's a fire ant. The fire ants are very small, they're red. I don't need to tell anybody in the Southeast at of course they're familiar with fire ants that gets stung by them. But you know, you can tell a fire by the kind of nest that makes just like these, like these mounds, like you know, mounds of soil versus the harvester ants just create those little crater holes and then they clear everything around them. I don't know what happened to the leaf cut I had leaf cutter ants. I think my neighbor killed them. She was I met her when she moved in. She's an old lady. I don't speak a word of English, and she was, you know, she was telling me. She's like, what do you do? And she's like, I'm killing the ants and like, but these, she's like, they're coming inside. I'm like, those those are leafcutter ants. Man, They're not coming inside your house. There's no reason for There's nothing for them in there, right, there's there's that's like, uh, it's like catching like a daddy bear going into like a straight porno shopper. So there's no there's nothing for him in there. Well maybe I don't know. I guess you could be great whatever. Anyway, the point is, the point is the leaf cutter ants aren't going in your house. And so but then she's like, okay, well you want some you want some of this poison to kill you. I just like no. And then after that, these magnificent colonies of leaf cutter ants, which I liked, just disappeared. I didn't see him anymore. So, uh, hopefully there's still a lot, you know, I imagine they're still alive. They they maybe they're just dormant, dormant feeding their fungus. They're Uh, I'd love to see that fungus fruit. I wonder what species of fungus. Okay, I'm getting distracted here. Let's go back to this. The diurnal sphinx moth in the oaks Savannah was himarus thisby fifby? What is it? What's the common and kind? What a beautiful fucking moth. It's like bay beige, uh, top half of the body with reddish kind of translucent wings. Really cool. I had no idea what this was. It looks and it looks like a hummingbird. It's got a little beak. I wonder if that prevents it from getting eaten. Maybe I don't know, but it was. It sure was love on att mo Narta. How many different Pygnanthemum species did I see? How many different Pygnanthemum species did I see?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 1: In the East coast, let's see did I during this again? Louisville down to North Carolina, South Carolina, eastern Tennessee. There's Pygnathumum everywhere. They all are fucking I had no idea that was such a species rich genus. Oh my god. Okay. Three species in Tennessee Orticellatum, tenuifolium and Lumythia loomis Loomis. It's the street in Chicago. I also saw some uh, some good stuff in oak Ridge. I went and visited my friend Jacob, who teaches at Knoxville. He's the let's botanize, Let's botanize that guy. He does the Let's botanize page. Really nice guy. Him and his friend whose name I forget. I'm really sorry. Fuck, I feel like a dick now. But I went and visited him at the school that he teaches at. Saw his amazing moss or his amazing fern poster alternation of generations fern poster. He's got his own office and shit, man, it's real nice up there. I mean, I'm telling you. He's a Czechoslovakian interior designer. Okay, sorry, Sopranos Reverend. He's His bookshelf is fantastic. So I didn't get I didn't get anywhere near enough time to google the books that he had. But we went down to the lab. Showed me some of the work. He's doing cross sections of fern stems for you know, doing looking at vasculature around him, met all the kids in his lab. It was cool, it was cool, it was a nice nice I didn't have enough time. I only had like an hour to stop in because I had to be where the fuck was I going. Was I doing Louisville that night? No, I had to be in Kulowie. Louisville is on the other side of the state. I had to be in Kulowe the next day. So, and Kulowe is always nice, but they're there. It's like the Native Plant Conference, but they're doing it in someplace. To say, Oh God, you know where I was? I forgot that much. I was in Chattanooga too. I did a show in Chattanooga, Tennessee, which is such a fucking wonderful town. You know. The first time I ever blew into Chattanooga was on a freight train around two thousand and three. Used to be a big punk scene there. I think there still is, maybe punkin or whatever. Anyway, and so I hung out there and it's got a really nice vibe, really like old school, you know, buildings, kind people, pretty fucking chill. Yeah, man, it's Chantanooga's nice. I forgot about that. Yeah. So anyway, so Chattanooga Memphis on the way back, hung out with habitat Harry. I don't know if you know him, really fun guy, kind of looks like a young hazel Ankins. And we went out to this Arkansas prairie. Afterwards, I was just sweating my balls off. God, it was fucking brutal there, man, it was so hot. I got to see a lot of cool stuff though in this prairie, this well maintained prairie that's burned, became I became much more in the last month, much more solidified in my fire, my respect and admiration for how important fire is to the ecology of the Midwest and East Coast. Absolutely imperative that these places burn at a reasonable interval, you know, and that people study the fire ecology there and how important it is. It was because before you know, I think, before Native Americans started burning, which they did for a long time, you know, megafauna and storms were of course the big disturbance event that these landscapes got right. And so that's what I mean, disturbance is what keeps these spaces alive, right, just like the Conrad Dean of Urtisslada growing and the river is in northeastern Tennessee, beautiful Morgan County, Tennessee. What river was this too? It was in the Catosa Wildlife Management Area. Just like they need disturbance in the form of floods. All those plants need disturbance, mostly in the form of fire. Oh yeah, it was on Daddy's creek. I forgot Daddy's creek. Come on down the Daddy's creek. That was weird too. I know this is all over the place. I apologize for the disjointed nature of this rent. The subject matter is scattered throughout, just shotgun throughout this last thirty minutes of the podcast, like ping pong balls. But what was said was I was on that creek. I was on Daddy's Creek in Morgan, Tennessee, northeastern Tennessee, on the Cumberland Plateau looking for conrad deina vertissolada, this disjunct, this Florida disjunct right or disjunct of a Florida genus, and I only found Holy hell, I think like four plants maybe right opposite leaves. It looks like a It looks like a member of astracy, a purple flowered, a purple ray flowered member of astracy that grows in the same habitat. But of course Conradina, being in the min family lamy Ace has opposite leaves, not alternate leaves. Yeah, that Conradina grows with Ionactis Linaria folia, it's and it's which has again arochoid leaves, which arochoid again after the genus Erica, which is in South Africa, or with this this morphological general shape came from, uh, you know, narrow, thin leaves, reducing surface area, obviously in adaptation to more sun exposure, uh, dealing with temporary drought, et cetera. That ionactus was wild, though I thought it was a cynthio tricum or something. I did not have ionactus on my fucking Bingo carden. So yeah, so that was but so and they it's you could see that they have a similar shape, probably because they grow on these rocky areas in floods, scoured areas of the river. And again you're in this like deep. I think it's metamorphic rock, this deep canyon. What is the range on this ionactus? By the way, God, it was a fucking cool one. I bet it's small, is it not? It says it's scattered throughout, scattered throughout the east dud suppose Eader someone Wisconsin. I bet the habitat is always the same though like somewhat rocky sun exposed Applealachia. Suppose so you get some in New York. It's a great fucking species. It'd be a great species to go up against the sidewalking like a native plant garden in Pennsylvania, Delaware, North Carolina. Shit, great, great plant. From what I know about, it doesn't get that tall, tops out of eighteen inches, which is about what Conradina tops out at. But I only saw four or five Conradinas despite searching for them for two hours. One was growing in shade. There's a lot of other cool stuff though. And again there's like boulders scattered throughout this habitat. So it's a it's a river, but there's boulders scattered throughout the sandy banks. There was yucca growing on the sandy banks. It's it's a fucking cool it's a cool place. Daddy's Creek. Come on down to Daddy's Creek, come on down to the Morgan County Daddy bear party here down here on Daddy's Creek. I don't know, whatever the fuck you know, that's what that's where my imagination goes. So God, but uh oh, there was a weird white flowered u trochium. I saw two. It didn't identify that Helianthus hersutis pas anonyma. I suppose is that what that is? Is that correct?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I guess so, yeah, pakra ananima sylphiusterecus. But yeah, but oak Ridge was dope. There was and Jacob pointed those spots out to me. In oak Ridge, Tennessee, which is kind of close to Knoxville, and he's like forty five minutes away. There was some prairie areas or they were glades, and I saw a massive blooming of man fraid of Virginica, which was fucking great to see.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 1: I mean, as you've got this you know, herbaceous agave basically, so it's got a bull that can dive back to the leaves are succulent and juicy, but don't have the sharp spines, and they're not caraceous and stiff like a gave leaves are. But the flower is basically the same. They get these four or five foot tall inflorescences with these really ornate or they're not ornate, but large moth pollinated flowers on them. Bees will hit it too. I saw, you know, bumblebees hitting it. But you could tell this thing evolved with moths, but probably stays open during the day to ensure it gets hit. And so they were like god, fifty or sixty of them going out in this little glade area near a junior high But man, it was there was not much left, you know, there was not much of this land left, of this habitat left. Most of it had been developed or due to fire suppression, had been overgrown. So and you can really see that again. That's another thing you see. You could see throughout the East Coast and even the Midwest. You suppress fire and things just get smothered out. They get light starved, They gets too dense. It turns into a fucking mess. You get the shitty woods and prairies disappear, they get woody encroachment. I mean this stuff Kyle Ibarger showed me in Alabama, you know, beneath the power line, but beneath some massive high voltage power lines where it's the power line. The power line company comes and clears it mechanically, which is disturbance. It's not as good as fire, but it's still disturbance. There's still all these cool plants, pedio mealiums, prickly pairs in Alabama. But then I'm growing on top of this thin soiled carstick limestone. But then on either side of the power line is meant. The only thing that changes is you're not but you're not beneath the power lines meant anymore. In the power line companies no longer mowing and mechanically removing the woody encroachment, and the junipers on the sides of that where they're not doing anymore, you get junipers just springing up, and it becomes thick quote cedar, because it's not really seedar, they're junipers, but they call it cedar woodland. And so everything gets light starved, and the diversity just disappears, and it looks like shit, and it's super dense and looks like shit, and you gotta get tons of ticks, so you got to burn it. The how resistant some people are to the idea that fire is important to the psychology, I will never get over right. I mean, I do understand it. These are ecologically illiterate people. They just need to become literate. They just need to understand the landscapes some more time nature and think about it. Huh, why is it different? Why is it so different here? Versus here. It's a it's not this way. What's changing. What's the one element that's changing? Okay, mechanical removal or control burning? Huh, all right, shout out to Dave. Shut out to Dave Coulton in Ah. What is the name Woodfield where I forget the name of his town, suburb of Chicago. He's been burning his yard. He's got beds of prairie plants separated by what are efficiently effectively fire breaks of mode turf grass paths that he just still mows. And uh, but he just has the turf grass only in places where there's a path separating these beds, which again acts as an effective fire break, and then he lights the beds on fire in spring. He does it in spring. Jerry Wilhelm doesn't in fall. Also living in a suburban neighborhood at the end of a cul de sac where your neighbors might call the cops on you, which they did, But he still burns. He's been doing it thirty years now. So Jerry's been burning forty years. You can see the video I just put out two days ago on August third. So but yeah, but so Dave burns these beds the fire takes five minutes to burn all the brush down. There's no woody material because these are all arebaceous perennials. These are native prairie plants, so it's not dense wood that's burning. It burns pretty quickly, and he was using an actual drip torch, which means you can burn even when it's still pretty wet out, or you can at least get the fire going, which is probably safer. But Jerry doesn't use the drip torch. He just lights it with a match. So yeah, really cool stuff. Anyway, So back to Tennessee. So I was looking for this Conradina only found four or five plants. Really cool habitat, saw a bunch of other cool shit. Regardless, none of the conra deenas were flowering. I don't know when they do. I would assume maybe it's in spring, maybe fall, I don't know, but yeah, but it was a really fascinating habitat Oakridge, Tennessee. Lots of cool stuff. Two prairies there. One is kind of next to some old train tracks. I think it's some old railroad bed, but I'm sure if you go to if you're in Oakridge, you could look at the I naturalist app and just see where all the plant observations are, and you'll see it a lot of cool stuff there in both of those sites in Oakridge, Tennessee. Then the Nashville Glades. I think I went to Couchville Cedar Glade. Dope spot well maintained. You can tell they do seasonal burning too. There was a roos Aromatica air that I could have sworn was poison ivy. Looked just like it, but of course poison ivy. That distal leaf, the furthest most leaf on a branch, has a petiole on it. But damn, that was a I mean, russ Aromatica has so many different ecotypes. I don't know if it's considered a species complex or what, but it's there's ecotypes all over it. Six thousand feet in the Sierra Mandre of Nuevo Leon to uh, you know, ecotypes I've seen in Mohave County, Arizona, to this weird one I saw east of Nashville at the Couchville Cedar Glades. It's there's so many different variations on it species and I don't really understand it. It's like, why isn't it just evolving through a different species. I don't know. I don't know what the constraints are on it genetically, but it looks different. I mean, the flowers still look the same, but the leaf shape, the different populations just have such a drastically different leaf shape that it'll fool you into thinking it's a different plant. But those Coulchville Cedar Glades was Echinasia, Tennessee Census, some really cool limestone. There was a there was a seedum there, the seedum pulchellum, a lot of really interesting stuff and aglinis little blue stems sky Zachrum scoparium, as well as a lineum species, a flax species growing on those thin soils. You forba corolatta too, And it looks like in places the ground's literally been paved with limestone. It's a really really cool site. If you live in Nashville. First off, I'm sorry to hear that in my regards, but second, you got to get out to Couchville Cedar Glades or any of the other limestone glades east of Nashville to look at some of the cool shit that's growing there, because it is fucking dope. Does manthis Illinois insist, which is that plant suppose he has DMPTY in it. You know, that's a good way to get the drug, bros In. Get people who just are into like growing psychoactive plants at first, get him interested in the colgy, tell them something's got d empty in it. Just start making it up, eh, psychoactive. Yeah, you know, you could use the roots or something to make sure it's not a poisonous plant. But you know, just to get them excited about it. It makes them maybe they'll start looking at other stuff in that habitat too. All right, anyway, I fuh making it through this podcast slowly. I'm doing shows in Albuquerque. Got a show coming up in Albuquerque, New Mexico on August twelfth. I'm doing a show at Denver Botanic Gardens. You can buy tickets at their website just typing Denver Botanic Gardens Joey Santori. I guess, I guess it's how you would look for it. That seems reasonable. And then I'm doing another one at High Dive, which is a bar or a brewery, one of those two in Denver on August eighteenth. And then I'm head of the fuck home and I'm gonna relax for like a month, or try to. I've also got I got a third book coming out next year that we're finishing up right now, a lot of interesting plants from all over the world. It's going to be a photo book. It's like a nice coffee table book. And that should be let's see, that should be out. I'm not sure when it's coming out. I think next spring or fall. I think next fall. And then I've got these little mini photo books that I just put together myself. Limited run, only a few hundred copies. You could buy those from me on tour, or I might do mail order. I might have think I might get like one more run printed and do them on mail order. They're only eighty pages, they're not that long, but they got a lot of cool shitting. I'm just a little six inch by six inch square, cool plants, cool photos, and uh descriptions of habitat. And I'm really proud of the captions, very very educational captions, jam packed with information. So I got that going on, and then uh, yeah, I'm gonna I'm going to Bolivia in late September, and I think we're planning a Peru trip in November. Me and Allen souh. Yeah, we'll be selling tickets to that too. Come come join us in Peru. We're gonna go look at Trico Sirius and Habitat and then go to the We're gonna be in the dry side of the Andes. We're gonna go look at the Puya Rimandi I and then we're gonna go to some of the wet areas of the Andes as well to go look at cool mushrooms. So it should be a good time. Yeah, and so yeah, come join us. I'll be posting that on social media as in promoting it as I get as I put start putting together. But it's gonna be I think November eighteenth, for like past Thanksgiving. It's gonna be like nine or ten days. But you'll miss Thanksgiving with your family if you come on this trip. Maybe it's not a good idea, but you know a lot of people they got shitty families or they don't do anything for Thanksgiving anyway, So those are the that's the target audience. Yeah. So anyway, another cool spot I was at that I want to talk about was South Carolina and some really cool oaks savannahs. Fire maintained oak savannahs also dominated by what I think was a like a metamorphous sandstone. I think it was quartzitic maybe quartzitic sandstone or it was just like a thick, but it was. It was outside of Columbia. What what where was this exect? Oh? Yeah, that's it peach tree Rock, which has really interesting geology on it. And they they had just done a burn and all these arochoids like Vaccinium staminium were coming up, were re sprouting, just robust as hell, you know. And that's when you can really see like when this, especially the aircacious stuff, after a burn, it comes back so robust and vibrant because it's got these massive root systems. It's resprouting from all the competition has been cleared, it's gotten some rain, and it just takes off. It's really really interesting to see. But it was a long leaf pine savannah and they they burn it. There was galasacci A demosa as well, another member of eric case Lyatrius tenuifolia wasn't blooming yet, but really really narrow spiriform like a spire three to four foot tall. Iatrius species uh Pitiopsis aspera, which is the grass leave. It's a it's I forget the name of it. It's like it's basically like a daisy relative that has very linear leaves, narrow leaves the whole genus Pitiopsis. This was Petiopsis, aspra Casmanthium laxum, cool grass species, sea oats inland sea oats, tons of hypericombs, pence them. In Australis Tafrozia virginiana Nitis skullus stimulosis was there, so you get a little bit of this element from like the Florida sand sand scrub growing there as well. There was man afraid of Virginica. Of course. I was hoping to see some timber rattlers but did not come across. Some Cleatoria was there. Everybody loves cleatoria, of course, how could you not with a name like that around an area tecta bamboo relative Tragia urines and then Cyrilla rasima flora, which was growing like out of bare rock. Tell me a box of folio was there too. Kalmia one of the the other plant known as mountain laurel that doesn't grow in the mountains and has no relationship to laurel. Just the ridiculousness of common names, right, contrary to what is known in Texas as Mount Laurel, which is Dermatophylum secunda florum from a completely unrelated family. So uh. Anyway, but it was growing with cyrilla like at this rocky area, and I guess Peachtree Rock it was called because there was the way that this rock eroded. It looked like a peach tree. It was like a you know, a trunk with a canopy above it. It had that kind of shape, and I guess some jackass knocked it down. You always people are wont to do just mindless performative destruction. But there was a lot of good stuff there, and it was hot as balls, but we were in the we were in the shade the whole time. It was like ninety five degrees nine ninety degrees maybe a little bit more, but with really high humidity. But we were in the shade the whole time, so it was it was pleasant, it was cool, you know, and of course you got that burned understory. Yeah, there was a lot of good stuff there.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: Clethra tomentosa do you know the clethras? Do you know? You know Clethra order eraic Hayley's They're common in the tropics. Oh, and there was Tipularya discolor there too. That is a it's an orchid that I think has chlorophyll in it. Yeah, I think it just breaks up flowering. I don't think it's a micoheterotroph, but it's micro rhyzell for sure. What is the common name of Tipularia, this scullar, the crane fly orchid. Yeah, the leaves were not out, really interesting leaves on it. The leaves weren't out, but it was flowering like two feet tall in the shade dope spot and just yeah, man, just seeing all the burn and then there was that they had that like cort cidic sand too, that sugar sand where it's white, you know, which was really interesting, really interesting. Bright white habitat reflects a lot of ultraviolet back up, like eighty percent eighty five percent reflectance of ultraviolet light back up at you. So that obviously creates a more stressful environment for plants, which creates more selection pressures determining what can grow there and what evolves there and et cetera. It's really really really cool stuff. Sylpium composite them sylphium with pendant flowers Vernonia angustafolia and iron weed and gustafolia than leaves. It's what a gustafolia means. And then there was another spot in South Carolina I went to that I don't want to name because someone's going to try to poach the picture plants that grow there. But it was Saracenia jonesy eye, which is a rare granite bald. It grows on granite knobs. Saracenia species pictuer plant that grows on these these basically these seeps on these massive granite domes. And that was a really cool spot. That was a dope spot had some rare Pacara is on at Pakara millifolium. It was Crowton michoe i, which, of course you're gonna encounter anywhere there's sand, uh you know, sander or a dryer habitat. Krowton machoey I always likes it like that sla Janella tortapyla, which you know is a desiccation tolerant spike moss looks like someone threw out a shag carpeting and it's like an old shag carpeting when it's uh dry, when it's dry and dormant and you get some water on it, comes back to quote comes back to life unquote within you know, thirty minutes to an hour, starts photosynthesizing and metaboli and metabolizing again. These granitebald habitats are really fucking cool. I saw another one in Georgia, in eastern Georgia that we stopped at. It was a Heggi's Rock, which is a nature conservancy site, and uh, this gentleman, Malcolm, took me out there. Shout out to Malcolm, thank you, sir, And uh, that was a really fucking dope spot with this rare isohetes, which is a relative of Silaganella. You know they're in the their lycopods, but Isohetes, of course is known as the quill warts. And you know there's isohetes in Costa Rica. I just saw one up in the Paramau at ten thousand feet, you know, always growing in either shallow shallow pools or ephemeral pools. And that's what Isoetes ta geeda foremans was growing in, which is a really narrow local andemic only grows in like six spots in Georgia. And they're all on top of these granite balds, right, and they can tolerate you know, ephemeral drying out, like drying out for a little bit, but it can't go for like a year or two without those ponds filling up with water. And one of the sites I guess was destroyed for a quarry. And so when it was destroyed for a quarry, they moved the population in onto the other granite bald and I guess they but they did it by like they had to create these little pools top of the bald, so they had to like chisel out rock. I don't know how they did it. They chiseled out like a six by six inch little you know, three inch deep pool for water to pool up in. And it works, but it, you know, it looks square. It looks it's super square because the way they had to cut it looks kind of weird. But it's cool that they did it, but it's nuts that it was even able to happen in the first place. Like, really, they just just the Corey granite. There's not like a less impactful way to do it that they're not gonna destroy this rare plant or that you know, whatever private entity there was. There's no protection for this stuff. There should be protections, right now, what they're doing for Big Bend. I mean, it's all just you know, part of Trump, the Trump agenda, the performative cruelty. I mean, they're destroying all this shit in Big Bend to put up a fucking border wall when the landscape itself is the border wall. It's such a harsh desert. No one's crossing there. Man. By the time Trump's done with a country, no one's gonna want to come in here anyway. The fence is gonna be meant to keep people in. I still can't believe people got suckering into voting for this con man, especially here. There was a big Latino mega contingent down here in the Rio Grand Valley, right goes right in with all that that shame and that weird cultural disassociation and wanting to be you know, wanting to emulate like the lamest aspects of quote white culture or whatever that even is, Texan white culture. You know whatever. We don't have to agree it. You're listening to this, you're offended. I mean by all means, it's totally fine. Actually, if you're a friend, I don't really give a shit, but just disagree. You don't need to agree with me. But you know, goddamn is it just it's it's the bamboozle element is so and you get people to vote against their own interests like that. I don't know, and I know how the left got so fucking annoying still are in many cases, but at least in the US, identity politics was a sy up. So uh anyway, alright, so back to this. So this uh, this ice o wheaties was really cool. This and this granite bald. It was The interesting thing too, was the granite is pink, but the whole bald is black from all of the biofilm on it, from all the living material that's on growing on this rock. So you know, if you were to like chip it and chip that stuff away, the rock would be whitish or red. But that black material, obviously heats causes the service of that granite. The heat up immensely. It's amazing that all the different God, there were so many different liking species too. Malcolm the gentleman, I went out there with studies liking. He was just dropping names on all these different likings and shit, really cool. There's so you've got these liking communities and these moss communities and crust communities. It's probably just cyanobacteria and algae's and stuff that grow on these uh, these balds, and then there's little ephemeral pools where you get some plant life. And then there's like rocks there. There's like true small trees, dwarfed trees, et cetera, accumulating in the rocks around there. It's the same stuff you see if you go to h Stone Mountain in you know, east of Atlanta. Is it east of Atlanta? I think it's east of Atlanta. But really cool shit to see. Man, shout out to Atlanta. What a dope city. I fucking love that city. It's a car slum in much of it, but in areas where it's not, you know, like that belt line project they have that was really cool to see. It's an old railroad belt that they turned into a bikeway. It's got native plants all over it. Some somebody recreated behind this u Tacorea there. It's Tacorea is an old warehouse somebody created like a car, a Saracenia bog and long leaf pine forest. I put a video on that that was really cool to see, really wonderful to seas. It's just just such a pleasant there's so much good shit to see there. And then I was hanging out with my friend hippie Josh. He's he's all in a forging and stuff. So we were you walking around his neighborhood looking at he's got to lives in a really nice neighborhood, like just not like fancy wealthy, but but just Nice's got trees in it, and it's just feels like a pleasant place to live. There's shade, so even though it's superhumid and hot out, you know, you can still find shade. It doesn't doesn't hurt to be outside, not like where I live. I have to like be exposed to one hundred and forty five degrees surface temperatures, and I feel like I'm walking on a heat mat because there's no shade anywhere. Because you know, the city hates trees. This one guided city manager. Man, Ah, he's gonna change one day I got home. There's no he's not gonna always be like this. You know, through a process of therapy, guided meditation, and self exploration, maybe he'll stop hating plants, or at least try to understand why he does. It doesn't make any sense at all, like the whole. He's like, the complete opposite of the plants is infrastructure theory. It just doesn't land with him at all. He doesn't understand it. He doesn't understand that urban he on probably doesn't care either, because don't go outside. Nobody goes outside. I mean, I live in one of the fattest counties in the United States, so you know, but there's hope, there's hope. It's just a slow process. And if you keep your fucking mouth shut, there's not gonna be hope. Right, be nice, be polite, but know that you're fucking right, and be loud about this stuff. Right, it's this is insane. You're right and they're wrong. I hate to just put it as simple as that, but that's that's what the case is. You can't live in a place of horticultural atrocities and turf grass stuff that didn't evolve here. You create these dead zones, these dead gardens, the shit gardens. I've ranted about this enough, so uh and then where else did I stop? Yah? So the one of the last plays I stopped that was this Arkansas Prairie with with my friend Habitat Harry and god damn, there was a rubus species that was just tearing us up, just with these cat claw like thorns that had on it. And we were out there just sweating balls. So humid, probably really pleasant in the fall once it cools off. I don't know when that is, late October, early November. But it was beautiful. But we had to go through all this agriculture to get out there, like toxic agriculture to get out there, you know, driving along these little agricultural roads, dirt at one lane agricultural roads to get out there and see this stuff. And it was totally worth it though. You know. The prairie we went to, let me see if I can find the name of it. Yeah, it was near Hazen, Arkansas. It's in between Little Rock and Memphis. There's a lot of cool shit along those agricultural roads too. Man, I saw what was it, campsus radic cans. I always get these too confused. Okay, First off, the prairie was Connectne Prairie ko n E c n Y Prairie Natural Area.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: And it's like, you know, it's big bluestem and lots of big bluestem. There was Cynthio trichum arachodes there as well. Uh, I don't know what that rubus was, Hypericum labocarpum Saint John's Ward, one of you know, many species tried and strictest, really important grass out there. A Upatorium capital of foium ilex decid you, a Upatorium scabritum. Uh, let's see Ludwigia. Oh and Rebeccia elismuth folia. Uh was another cool one. Uh, there was a Rexia there too. Have never seen arexia out in the open prairie before. I guess it was just Mariana uh i Brosia biden tata oh Tefrosia ano bracoids. That's a cool one. White flowered Tephrosia, golden, pubescent sand the leaves. Hopefully somebody's growing that. And you know for native plant the propagation purposes, because that's a dope plant. Ludwigia all turn a folio. It was a really cool prairie. The big blue stem there was fucking beautiful too. It was big blue stem and vernonia. I think it was just missurika massive vernonia though, like fields of vernonia, and they were all flowering. It looked incredible. And then uh, but the way there, I mean we went to another prairie too, God, it was fucking hot. Went to another prairie too where there was where there was a lot more let me see this. What else was here another prairie where there was a lot more diversity as well. And then just I mean just driving along the roads there it was cool. There was there was a lot of good ship. Yeah, panicom vorgadim switchgrass. Uh oh yeah. In Hydrolia ovada, which was which is an aquatic plant with bright purple flowers. It's in uh I think the family is hydroleac, which is in the night shade order, but it was vic man and it was filling up this this little ditch on the side of the highway.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's an aquatic relative of night shades order Solinales, and we get one and they got spines on them too, but like vivid, five pedaled purple flowers, maybe the size of a golf all maybe a little bit smaller. Great aquatic plant though, So if you got a wet area with full sun. And then there was a Usalidago rigidi uscula, uh, Desmodium sessifolium. Oh yeah, that was a white flower Desmodium that got like five feet tall. Helianthus molus was going off everywhere too, like in the in the little in the prairie and that Connectne Prairie. Definitely if you're if you're near Hazen, Arkansas, check it out. Oh and I saw matt again growing in the uh in these like wet areas because it's it's really wet there. This almost be really wet. Uh So there's these ditches all over there is alligator flag, Thalia dilbata with you know, it's purple flowers. That's a really cool monocot, gets like six feet tall and really interesting flowers as well. I think it's in the order of gingers. Yeah, yeah, Marin Tasi and Zingibareles. So it's got that kind of you know staminodes thing. One stamen and then a bunch of staminodes, like a bunch of the bunch of the stamens have become infertile. They're now staminodes and they've been just turned used as attractants as petals, alligator flags the thing, Yeah, powdery alligator flag or hardy kenna. But it's not in kan As. It's in Marin Tacy, which is unique. It's weird because most of the families in that order, zingibareles the ginger order. Most of them are tropical, like bananas are in that order. For instance, Marin Tacy costs a sy saw a bunch of those and whatever. So it's cool to see this one that you know thrives in a temperate lineage trips Sakum. Back to Loidy's that grass, epic grass. It's kind of doing a little mais thing, a little corn thing with its flowers. Got some really nice images of that flowering. Common name is gamma grass, Eastern gamma grass, or Pacahatchie grass, but that was coming up. It's like a six foot tall grass. It's beautiful. I think it likes it wet. And then yeah, campsas radic cans. I always get that confused with crossvine with Bignonia caprio lotta. They're both in the same family. They got the red hummingbird pollinated flowers. I wonder which one is more heat tolerant. I know Michael Easton was growing one in Alpine. I think it was cross fine. I think it was Bignonia caprio lotta, or not more heat toler but more more tolerant of arid aridity and then there was sassafras coming up on the side of the road too, along with backriss helmetful, which I don't know they went. I think, you know, always associated backerss helm Atfolia with like more Gulf coastal bend soup. But I guess you know, we're not too far from it. In you know, central Arkansas, it's still hot and humid as balls. And so there was backriss Helmafolia. And then the sassafras was growing out in the open and didn't have that tri lobed, that three lobed you know, spade shaped leaf. It had just had like a simple leaf with no lobes, this simple margin, and it was an entire leaf. Was wild to see. Threw me off at first, but then I was like, ah, what the fuck is this? Just a couple of the more shady leaves looked like actual sassafras leaves, and I crunched them up and smelled them, like, damn, this is just sassafras. It's just sassafras. I'll buy it. I'm wild, but Arkansas. Who knew a lot of cool shit in Arkansas? But this is all These were all like wet, pretty wet sites except for that prairie. I think the well the prairie was pretty wet too. I think it's maybe it's more upland Pittiopsis tenuefolia. There was some really cool I didn't make any observations in that Liatris bummer. Yeah, there was Lyatris picno stacia everywhere, which you could tell from Lyatris speccata if you look at the fileries the little roofing shingle bracts on the side of the flower. On Pychnostacia, they've got a point that like we're curves right, so it looks kind of spiky, whereas on the on spiccata the points are just the fieries are just oppressed. So a lot of cool shit to see in Arkansas. I didn't get a chance to go see Vernonia letter mannii, that novaculate endemic that grows in flood disturbed areas on the what river was there was that Arkansas River? I forget, I don't know. I saw it two years ago, two years ago or a year ago. Really cool. It grows with that really unique amsonia too on really hot rocks, and the rocks, the rocky outcrops are cleared by floods. So it's got a really cool ecological story too. Vernonia letter Mannii. Yeah, am Sonia who bricked the eye that it grows and patrically with Vernonia lettermannii, really really unique. I have it that west of Little Rock kind of near Malvern on what river is it? Quatchetah, the Wacheedah River, right where thirty goes over the Wacheedah River. You go south of there, hit Tanner Street, go east Tanner Street in the Wachita River near Melvern or beautiful Melvern, what happens in Melvern. But that's a dope site to see that stuff. You go into the bridge tons of poison IVY might as well. It looks like it's a bridge where there'd be a hobo fire, except there's no railroad tracks, but definitely hobo fire under the bridge vibes I like that. You may not, but I do. And then all this novaculate rock, which is like a biogenic silica rock, and that Amsonia and the Vernonia are just growing right out of the rocks there, like in the more dry, hotter what would be presumably more stressful sites, And that's why they have those narrow narrow leaves, so I am. Some of you, of course think moth pollination, butterfly pollination, Aposta and ac the oleander and milkweed family, but those two flowers. Anyway, that's an hour and fifty minutes, probably more if you are listening to ads and not on the Patreon. You can, of course listen to the podcast ad free on the Patreon before you fucking complain it. So I read one of the comments. I shouldn't even read the comments, but I read in the comments someone was complaining about the ads on the podcast, like, oh, should I just do this for free? Like I bust my balls. I'm just supposed to, like do all this shit for free. The ads are how I make some revenue I don't. And they were like, I can't believe Joey would advertise some of this stuff, like as if I'm going through in hand picking the air, I have no choice over to ads. Blame your own algorithm, right, If you're getting ads for stupid casinos and shit, well maybe you need to stop gambling so much. I don't know you got a gambling problem. Why are you getting ads for casinos? If you're getting ads for long care, maybe you need to stop, you know, huffing petrochemicals off your own turf. Goof. Don't play me for it, that's your fault. I'm not picking the ads here. I just trying to get paid so I can, uh, because I don't have any time left to myself anymore. I need to go on sabbatical or some shit. Is that what they call when you go when you just you just tap out for a while. I don't respond to text anymore. I don't respect. I got friends getting mad at me because I don't stay in touch with them. They think I'm being negligent. You know, it's wild. I'm gonna get myself in trouble here. I'm just I'm a workaholic. Maybe should start smoking crack or something, you know, ass, I don't know, Maybe that'll get me off off the rails real quick. Uh what else? Oh? Yeah? Possibility Place nursery. If you're in Illinois, if you're in beautiful Chicago. Got Chicago felt so good this last time I was there. And you're looking for a spot to get some get some nice plants and stuff, go to go to Possibility Place nursery and money? Have you ever been to money? If not, I think you should go. I think it'd be a real nice for you to go. Get in your car and shut up quick whining about it. Take a nice trip down to Monee, stop at a Casey's General Store, get a couple of little sugar free urinal mint flavored energy drinks, and go hit up Possibility Place and leave a bunch of room in your car to pick up a bunch of good shit. You got a month or two left in the growing season in the Midwest, plant some wonderful, rare shit. They're growing stuff nobody else grows. Right, it's Possibility Place, and it's Pizzo Nursery, which I think only does wholesale. Maybe Pizso does individual sales. Now those are the two best nurseries in Chicago area. There's a lot of good nurseries in the Chicago area. You got Lady Allison up in Evanston who's selling stuff out of her backyard. She does great stuff. There's native nurseries. Getsemini Garden Center on the north Side is selling a lot of natives. I worked there twenty years ago when I needed a job for a month. I think I got shit, candor I quit. I can't remember. I don't know I was nowhere near as ambitious as I am now. But uh yeah, so hit up Possibility Place. Possibility Place does mail order too. They sent my mom some real nice uh lead plant. They got lead plant and some Dahlia's Delia purpoia, so uh, you know, and they arrived the next day. Everyone are like two days later. They did it by the mail. So you got to get in there order some you don't want to drive the Monee you live, like up in Rockford or some shit, it's gonna be a two hour drive one way. They can ship order mail do a mail order Possibility Place nursery and money and also if you're in Central Texas, hit up Green Sleeves Nursery in Flugerville, Texas. It's my friend Willie's nursery. He's a good guy. He's real, real solid dude. Grows a ton of good ship, grows a ton of seeds that I've sent them of rare stuff.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: He sent me a list of some of the stuff they've got that I should actually look at because they got some they're growing shit no one else carries. I mean, they got some really really cool stuff. Holy shit they got They got all kinds of Dahlia species I. Theyk got four different Dahlia species desmanthis Illinois. Its just for the drug bros who really like the plants with the DMPT and the roots. They got Ringium, Yakafoium, rattlesnake master Erythrostemin cardatas Ooh, that's from me man. That's a rare South Texas sandsheet species goes really good up against the sidewalk. Doesn't get that tall tops out of like eighteen inches. The Some of the native, like these small native harmless wasps, were hanging out on that collecting oils off the leaves because it smells really funky. The leaves have some weird chemical in them that apparently these insects us. It's a beautiful plant, two really cool flowers, really heat tolerant. You find it growing with the sleepiest prostrata in Star County. That thing needs to be in cultivation more. And you get one or two plants, then you get the seeds are easy to germinate two so you can keep growing them. That tura righty eye, he's selling that turre over there at Green Sleeves in Flugerville. Melampodium penstemen. God, he's got twelve different species of Salvia I might recommend Darcii. I like that Salvia darcii, Salvia Azuria, fair and aco i, Roda fici, and alys pensteam an Nooides cineloensis. Where do he gets Salvia cineloensis? Oh, Texana too? Uh, he's got silphium's Sylphium simpsonia. I don't even know that one, Simzia calva. I think that ce is from me Vernonia lindheimuri. That no one's people are not planting that enough. That's a that's a central Texas endemic. Loves limestone would go really good up against the sidewalk where you want something to stay low, not get too big. That's a fucking dope plant yet. Sea Platystigia endemic Texas bract spike is the common name. He's got everything. He's got amazing shit. Uh chaitelpa, oh chatel. It's like a hybrid. He's got eisenhardi at Texeina. I could keep going on. Quirkus, Buckley eye, Camby eye quickes Cambia is a dope oak. Damn he's got I didn't even see this stuff. He's got guahiotos. That's the seed for me, sapandue soapberry. Kind of a boring tree until you see it flower and you see it covered in all kinds of cool pollinators, all kinds of cool shit. So anyway, yeah, Green Sleeves Nursery in Flugerville. He got fucked because Flugerville put in water restrictions due to the fact that their reservoir had been leaking for like eight months and the detector for it with the text leaks, the detector was not calibrated right supposedly, so it was just incompetence. It wasn't even drought, and so they put water restrictions into Willy was having the truck water to his nursery, which set him back, you know, a few dozen grand I think one hundred or two hundred, I don't know. So he was he got fucked by this by the city of Flugerville, and then I think he was threatening to sue them, and then they started fucking with him for fines and stuff. Really corrupt you know, corrupt ship. So anyway, uh oh, he's gotten a Lena big ALOVII, too, which is that rare Mexican one that's from seed I collected in Marathon, Texas. So anyway, all right, well those are some nurseries to hit up. Thanks for listening. Come see me in Albuquerque, Come see me in Denver.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: And then I might be playing on East Coast tour, going to Philly, New York, maybe Detroit, et cetera. In late October. That's all I gotta have. Agress. They go fuck you up by.
Speaker 3: But I woke up today in the side of the que.
Speaker 2: My ego, and I haven't done me no good, no hat.
Speaker 3: Going back to the last off to the bound.
Speaker 4: In the pairs of barrow way from you're in taking a part of that seven.
Speaker 3: That vacation.
Speaker 2: Reality, no one else in between your parent's miry to my destinsion Barbie on time men, I need third nod.
Speaker 3: That my dream.
Speaker 2: Have I dive.
Speaker 3: Either way, I don't.
Speaker 2: Mind aff here in so good, just can't help crying.
Speaker 3: O you have two let go? So you so.
Speaker 2: Mad?
Speaker 3: Fo am I tamer Am I die either, I don't mind.
Speaker 2: No, I'm being so just a cant five. I have to so