Speaker 1: He'll be beer, go'll be bit. Sorry, there's gonna be some silence here while the music plays. They can hear us now though. Hello everybody, it's the Internet. You're busy. Let's do this just for January twenty second, twenty twenty five. Sorry, I'm all discombobulated. I meant to start the show two seconds later than I did. I hit the wrong button. It's my first podcast, Alyssa. For the next hour or so, let me help you sort through the world of gaming on Game mes Mornings Live with me Jeff Grubb. Today, it's Microsoft's turn to take the spotlight, and it might have some surprises during its developer direct tomorrow. And is the switch to more powerful than that Mario Kart Tease suggests, But first, please join me and welcome you today's co host to Game mess Mornings. It's a listener conte everybody. Alyssa. How are you doing.
Speaker 2: I'm so good?
Speaker 1: How are you fantastic? I'm happy to see you, glad to see you doing well. Ready to talk about some video games, but yeah, first time? How you been?
Speaker 2: You know? Last night the New York Game Awards, which is great because it helps support the nonprofit the New Ork Video Game Critics Circle, which is great because we mentor underserved and unhouse youth in New York City and help them learn more about writing and video games. Be it narrative for journalism. And yeah, these kids have been They're incredible to work with and it's really fulfilling. And yeah, the New York Game Awards is like the Chiller Cooler, you know version. Obviously it's New York baby, So it's just cool. It's cool to be there. And like Todd Howard was there, Troy Baker was there, a couple of cool Sam Lake was honored. So it was a really cool thing and for just purely a good cause, which doesn't happen enough in this industry. So it was very nice. And yeah, everyone dressed really nice. So thanks guys.
Speaker 1: Good good. I'm glad you would be looking they knew. Yeah, I saw some some pictures of it. I think I think GameSpot might have streamed something from it last night.
Speaker 2: I don't know I co streams it. I forget which which outlet, but yeah, there is a coach dream.
Speaker 1: I thought I saw GameSpot doing that, so shouts them. Yeah, but I saw some mobe just it looked a really nice it looked like everyone was having a really good time. So yeah, it's nice to hear how you've been Otherwise, how is there are video games treating you well?
Speaker 2: You know, I have a lot of free time on my hands right now, Jeff, in between employment, like so many of us this industry are, and I've done virtually nothing but play Bilotro and Marvel Rivals.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you're spending it well then all right?
Speaker 2: Yeah, clearly the lootro is becoming a problem though, because it's like the one more gaming me into being up too late or late to do everything or not getting out of bed. But it is just I see people play it on the train and we kind of have this.
Speaker 1: Like you Yeah, I definitely pulled the trick on myself where it is I did this with Uker. I don't know why I need to bring that up, but where it's like I need to stop going to my friend's house and playing you Car all the time. Like's just think about it, like there is one right way to play the game. So really I've already solved it. I can just move on, And I tell myself I've done that with Bloatro, where it's like it's all just come down to luck. Now I need to just get the right cards. But I know the right moves if I had the right cards, which is a total bullshit thing to say, but it's like that is mostly how I've broken it. And then pretending that I've solved this game and can just move on from it.
Speaker 2: Oh that's smart. See. I think that I'm watching my partner kind of do like the well, now I'm going for the gold chip difficulty on this deck, and then he's doing all these weird challenges where like jokers disappear and some don't, and I'm like, I'm just trying to get all the decks. Still, We're at a different we're at a different speed doing this game.
Speaker 1: In my Yeah, it's but yeah, I mean, I'm that is going to be a game I just go back to forever.
Speaker 2: I'm too fun, too easy. I played. I flew to Quebec City for Asasacree last week, and I those flights are short from New York. But I realized that I did nothing but play bollatro.
Speaker 1: Okay, now can you hear me, Melissa? Yes, okay, all right, can chat? Can you hear me? Now? It's a The goxers started acting up again where I can't touch it or it will disconnect. I had fixed that and now it is a problem again. So that's a real shame.
Speaker 2: I said. It's because I mentioned you'd be soft, and they new to the stream because they don't want me to break in Bargo.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean Eves is everywhere. He's in the walls for sure. All right, well, let's get the show back on the road and explain what we do here most weekdays. I, Jeff Greub, will help piece your gaming life back together. That includes breaking news and maybe even some of our own original reporting for all these topics at the input of a bona fide expert who will make me look smart. If you are watching live on twitch welcome, You can always listen to the show later on podcast feeds by searching for Game Mess Mornings, or find the RSS on giant bomb dot com. You can also catch the show later with chapters and timestamps on YouTube. Hello YouTube. All right, we have a lot to get into, so let's start the Morning Mess with. Microsoft has a couple of surprises in store for tomorrow's Xbox Developer Direct. According to rumor, this is from Jonas Macki at Game Reactor. As you may know, there's a dedicated Xbox event tomorrow where Microsoft has promised to show off Doom, the Dark Ages, South of Midnight and Claire Obscure Expedition thirty three, as well as a secret game from a secret studio. However, we've already reported that it seems that the Xbox team has additional surprises in store for the event, which apparently could be bigger than it sounds. The source of the time was Jess Cordon, editor of Windows Central and a person with proven insight into Microsoft. Now another very credible source is joining the chorus, namely Insider Gaming. They write that a few other surprises will be announced during the event or in the coming days. Rumors have been swirling about the secret game, with guesses like a comeback for Echo, the Dolphin, Final Fantasy seven remake for Xbox, and a new Ninja Guidan, but there has also been talk of a remaster or remake of the Elder Scrolls for Oblivion. Other educated guesses include new games for Game Pass and a Rise launch. It was during this event that Hi Fi Rush was stealth released two years ago. This is happening tomorrow, Alissa. You know we could guess any which way, but it does seem like they are setting expectations low for this announcement event and they probably will come in with a little bit more fire than they are, you know, sort of suggesting you think we're going to kind of get a kickoff here where there's a bunch of games that are pretty exciting from both like Microsoft and Sony, because Sony is certainly is going to have an event here pretty soon as well.
Speaker 2: What do you think, Yeah, I mean, I think we kind of have to have that, I think. And I think also the managing expectations thing is probably clever. Like we've how many times have we gotten gassed up for a direct of any sort and just been let down? So I think appy to Yeah, I think every game company now is like definitely tempering expectations, probably over tempering them, but that we can be pleasantly surprised. But I think Xbox needs a big developer direct here. I think, you know, the way that it's been shifting itself from like a publisher as much as we're like a whole cloud based thing where you can play your game anywhere and it doesn't really matter. This is an Xbox and that's an Xbox and we don't care about selling the console, but you know, you could just play this with game Pass and it's cool. That stuff is like hitting really strange, and you know, a lot of people are pointing out that, like where is the marketing for something like a vowed. You know, it's just been a really weirdly quiet, like six to eight months for Xbox, even a year, I would say, so, I think it's got to be bigger than they're gonna let it up, like they're gonna make it seem at first. I think it has to be because Xbox has just felt like it's in this weird identity crisis, and I think getting back to publishing really good games from both their in house studios and elsewhere is huge.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think it's you're right, you kind of come in with the faint and then you surprise people. That's always a good move. It's classic, it works, and you're just right about the timing. We should like, Yes, they are coming off of Indiana Jones that is clearly has been success critically and with fans, seems to be doing pretty well commercially as well. It's like there's some momentum there. But you know, there that was the one time it wasn't a false start with one of these releases recently where they released one of their big games, and in the past couple of years before that, it was like maybe not a misstep, but not the step that Xbox was looking for. Indiana Jones does seem to mostly be that, And now you've got to carry it forward because you can't kind of go back to that law. You can't go back to missus miss after miss So the way you do that is you start gassing up the games that are coming soon and maybe you even like start juicing up some games that are a little bit further off and build up a narrative of that you could tell people like why now is the right time to get very excited about the Xbox ecosystem. So yeah, I mean, it's it's a weird place because what is the Xbox ecosystem. It's changing constantly and it's you know, less emphasis on the console and things like that, but it definitely is still something that they are concerned about because they need to make money while they figure out what that transition looks like. If it is like, hey, we're gonna have everything's going to be an Xbox. They keep saying that, but not everyone treats every device like an Xbox. So I will actually have a story about that here in a little bit about Resident Evil on iPhones. And so it's like, yeah, they need to keep like this traditional audience pretty happy and spending as much money as possible, and that means some cool games. And you know, Doom the Dark Ages is going to be something that's going to be a real crowd pleaser. And if they do have like Elder Scrolls for Oblivion remake ready to go, people will eat that up. It's like okay, and then okay, is this South of Midnight? Is this gonna hit? I hope? So looks very interesting if some of these games can kind of come, you know, make a statement, and then they can build up a long term timeline of games starting with this event, I think people will actually begin changing what they think about Xbox, which has been a long time coming and something they've sort of missed the boat on accomplishing several times now, right.
Speaker 2: One hundred percent. I mean, I don't think people have looked at Xbox and their in house studios and what they make the same since Halo Infinite. Unfortunately, like I think, you know, if you're going to talk about the tent pole franchise for Xbox is Halo, and uh to drop the ball on that launch, like pick it up and drop it again, and then I mean, I love like, I love Halo Infinite. I played a lot of it, but it just it didn't seem like this promise of this open world campaign. It had this insinuation that there would be more added to it, that we would get a lot of stuff tacked on, it would grow, it would expand. But I just played through that campaign and then I played a bunch of multiplayer and then I fell off, and it's just that's not how any Halo game has ever been for me. So I think they're they're still trying to claw back from that. And I think it's really interesting that you know, they've they've hoovered up all these game studios and then sort of done this one eighty of like, well, it's about where you can play these games that maybe we publish, maybe we don't, but you subscribe to game Pass so you can play games anywhere, and that's what we're really It's just like what about the games, like show us some really really cool games and yeah, I think bring that good will back. I mean, it's a hard fight to bring back goodwill in this industry, but I think it's strong. Showing tomorrow would definitely do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think at the end of the day, if you're putting out interesting games that people want to play, usually they'll just like go buy those things. They'll just go do that. You know. There's definitely times where there's such headwinds, like what is happening with ub Soft right now, where it's like, you know, the game's mediocre to good, and it's like, yeah, but it's Ubisoft. Get that out of my face, Like that clearly does happen, So you're right, Building up that goodwill again is tough. I think that people are like they want to give that good will to Xbox. I think mostly they do, especially especially as they do with deemphasize the console. They're like, Okay, we kind of just want you to figure your shit out so we can all just feel good about what you're doing again, and we'll happily keep playing on our PlayStations, our switches and PCs, and then if you keep releasing your games on PC, which you're gonna, we'll play them there. So yeah, I think people just kind of want to have a good showing from Xbox. Hopefully all those people that do get acquired in that big corporation are making games they want to make and that you know, will succeed, and that's what most people I think want want to see. Yeah, speaking of like PlayStation though, we do we are still waiting for them to like, hey, here's what our timeline is for releases coming up. And really it's been a waiting game for quite some time with them as well. There's been you know, little spots here or there, or big games release, you know, Astrobot, and then they or they announced something like a Ghost to Yota, something along those lines. So they have broken silence or released something very big in the last year or so. But it's not like I think what people were used to or maybe expecting, especially coming out of a PS four generation, where there were years where you were looking forward to Final Fantasy seven remake and things like that. So we are due for some kind of state of play and then maybe eventually a PlayStation show case, one of their bigger shows that's more akin to an E three, but probably a state of play first. And again there are rumors out there and maybe once happen in February. I have not heard that personally, but there's rumors out there for that, And you know, do you think this could be a much bigger one or we should We still kind of be setting our expectations for Sony at a level of it's a state of play. It's not going to be not going to be much.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think they both. It has to be, it has to be big. Like I know that we should probably temper expectations. But if we're thinking about how long we are into this console cycle, you know, it's been six years, five years, you know, like it's four and a half, four in change. We're getting into the fifth year that it launched, and you know November will be five, and it's what do we have to show for it? That kind of is showcasing all of these incredible features that were promised when we bought you know, new Gen or Current and consoles. I think we're getting up on the end of it being like technically the end of a console cycle in terms of how often these things released. So it's like you need to give us something big, and there has to have been things in the can that you were working on for this big, huge new console that are probably towards the tail end of development, and if they're not, then what were we doing this whole time? Is really the kind of question that I have, and I do think PlayStation has to they both have to to deliver, and you know, I think we'll probably get something shorter and a little bit teasier in the late winter early spring, and then yeah, everyone goes big for Summer game Fest, which is replaced three, and so I think the summer will probably show us a lot too. But in terms of the summer, like how many things are we going to see there that would release within the next six months realistically? You know, So I think some game coming out this year that's big and important that we know about in the next few months I think could really turn the tide for both companies.
Speaker 1: So yeah, we'll see. Yeah, you know, we know they have Intergalactic from Insomniac. I mean, at some point that was like one of the few things at the Kiley Show that didn't have a year at least attached to it, like twenty twenty five. So we don't think it's coming this year. It probably not. Yeah, And then okay, so Venom is something that had been rumored a you know, the Insomniac is or not Insomniac, I'm sorry, Or is that is that Insomniac and somebody Venom, and then they're also making the X Men games eventually, and before that they are gonna have Wolverine something that is possibly going to come out this year. Still feels like maybe that gets announced and comes out early next year or something like that, But we're still talking about Insomniac where it's like that's that's the studio that has been carrying PlayStation through a lot of this part of the generation. With with multiple Spider Man games kind of just selling more than anything else by far, They've got to have maybe a couple other surprises and surprising returns right to go along with that.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, I think I think Insomniac can only shoulder the burden for so long. But it is also like I think we will see a lot of this Wolverine, Venom, x Men stuff because if anybody is paying attention and seeing how popular Marvel Rivals is, they're probably turning the dial up on whatever they're doing in development for Marvel and superhero stuff. And I mean, this is just what the industry does, right, You see something start to do well and then a bunch of people chase it. And so I think if these things are already in development and they're seeing how popular something like Rivals is and how people are engaging with Marvel stuff, not in the same way that they were when the MCU is at his peak, but you know, people are getting super into it. I think they might be pushing to get Wolverine out sooner rather than later. But again, yeah, it's just insomniac, So what about everybody else? And even like you think Astrobot's incredible, but you know, the Astrobot just to me feels like the most like in house PlayStation PlayStation game that was you know, probably planned from the moment they released the little demo with the you know, and what about these these these tent poles things that aren't just you know, Sony stickered up, you know, like tagged with PlayStation everywhere. What's going to give us you know, a big open world that's like Ghost of Yota I'm super excited about, but that's pretty far down the line. And it just does feel like there's this strange gap right now, and something's got.
Speaker 1: To fill it, yep, And we know kind of what part of the problem is is PlayStation was not like taking investment away from the kinds of games that people are talking about when they talk about PlayStation, but definitely distracting from that investment by going hard on live service games. And that is something they've canceled a bunch of those. So that's something that just didn't pan out, so that those gaps might like persist going forward for quite some time and it will be kind of noticeable, I think, But I think they can also maybe find some ways to pay that over, even if they just kind of make some announcements for stuff that won't come out till like late twenty twenty six, and then they do you follow through with the latest rumor that they are going to work with some of these studios that they already have in some partner studios to make smaller games based on some of their more deep cut ip games that they can maybe get done in two to three years. It's like, okay, yeah, that could begin to make things feel significantly different over there, but that also is still going to take some time. Speaking of Insomniac breaking news, Insomniac Games CEO Ted Price is going to exit the company. Ryan Schneider, Chad Dezern, and Jen Huang set as new co chiefs at the PlayStation Studio. Sorry, this is just breaking. I'm reading this from right now. This is from Jennifer Moss at Variety. Insomniac Games founder and CEO Ted Price is stepping down from his role atop the Sony Interactive Entertainment owned studio after more than twenty years running the company behind PlayStations or PlayStation's Ratchet and Claying franchise and Marvel's Spider Man games. Taking over for Price will be who will be staying with PlayStation Studio through March. Are a tree of Insomniac vets who will serve as co heads upon his retirement, and that's Ryan Schneider, Chad Desern, and Jen Hwang. Each of the Insomniac co studio heads will have a different purview, era and arenas which they have already been settling into over the past twelve months. Yeah. Ted Price has been there for for a long time, and honestly, in my head he is already kind of like I'm settling into the background. I don't even run the day to day. Maybe he was, but In my head, it was just like, no, Ted Price is someone who's like already sort of earned his stripes and is kind of just staying in the background. So the fact that he's retiring, in my head, it's like, again, not going to change much, but maybe it does at the same time. Yeah, that's a storied career and good for him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, especially if there's three people stepping into his role, it does seem like he was kind of right, must be setting things up to be run slightly differently, you know, after he leaves. So that's really interesting. I mean, Dan twenty more than twenty years yep. Incredible.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and god, he just was looked like a kid, was he when he was Insomniac Games president early on? Just a real child looking effort. He still looks very youthful. I would regret if this got brought up. We didn't have a chance to mention that Insomniac Games music video that he made about the developers that worked there. I think I have let's see here, Okay, yeah, I can count on Dan Reikert to post it on the Blue Sky. Let me see if I can bring this up real quick. It's really good. They just are like wearing big wigs and doing headbanging and playing guitars and stuff like that. It's good stuff. Let's see here, I'll bring that there.
Speaker 2: Let me see co heads, guys, co heads.
Speaker 1: They're co heading, Yes, they're co heading Insomniac. All right, yeah there, you can kind of see it. It's off to the side there though. Everybody yeap, and there's Ted Price doing his thing. All right, Okay, let's get back into the news as we had it here. Eleven percent of game developers surveyed by GDC were laid off in the past year. This is from Tom Ivan at VGC. Over one in ten developers question in a new industry survey said that they were laid off over the past Year's latest annual State of the Games Industry survey, which asked over three thousand game developers across Indie and Triple A studios questions about their work, was published on Tuesday. About eleven percent of respondents reported being laid off in the past twelve months, which was up from seven percent in last year's survey, and forty one percent of respond it said that they were impacted by layoffs, up from thirty five percent in GDC's twenty twenty four report, twenty nine percent said that they had colleagues who lost their jobs, which was up from seventeen percent a year earlier. Well, eighteen percent said staff and other teams or departments were laid off, which was up from eleven percent. So, I mean, if last year felt worse for layoffs, it's because it was you could like, let's see like that number of twenty nine percent said that they had colleagues who lost their jobs in the previous year, it's seventeen percent. It's almost it's almost a doubling of people looking around going so, Okay, my team has been decimated. So it's going to feel harder, harsher than ever. And it's because it really really was, Melissa, the thing that we were all saying, I'm sorry, I got to get this man in the horsehead costume off the scream while we're talking about this. The thing we were saying last year was survive twenty to twenty twenty five. And maybe you know, at that point companies will look around, reassess, reinvest, and you'll have a chance to sort of solidify your standing on the ground with your position. It doesn't really feel like that's gonna happen, right, No.
Speaker 2: I mean I think this is all still holdover and butterfly effect ripples from everything that happened during COVID, the massive boom and over hiring and overspending and investing in the life service or things that they were chasing. I think we're going to, unfortunately, see these reverberations for the next few years, because I think the COVID gaming boom was still happening in twenty twenty one into twenty twenty two, and I think that fall off, you know, only started affecting those companies into twenty twenty two and twenty twenty three, and then you get the layoffs, and so I yeah, I think and now you know, whole new regime and order here in the US, and there's conversations and rumors that if there's tariffs getting put on things coming from Mexico that could affect physical game discs and the cost of them, and so there's a lot of stuff that could change in the next few months that could also affect this negatively. It's a bummer, like it, There's no other way to put it, but it's a bummer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, you're right that, Like I think people do want to put COVID completely in the rear view mirror, but these reverberations is right. It is this this wobble of people having one idea of what the future was going to be and then it was very different and then sort of the way that like you know, wind just fills in a gap and a vacuum, like the industry is just like whiplashing from one side of the other and it's just sort of wobbling back and forth, and it feels like we are we going to find our standing. It's like yeah, but it's got a wobble bunch first, and people are going to get thrown off in that process, and it just is going to keep and every time you feel like, oh, it's slowing down, it's like no, it's just beginning the wobble back in the other direction. And you know the reality is that even like going in the pandemic into the pandemic, we were still coming off of a decade of kind of shocking growth for the industry, and then the pandemic exacerbated that and really made a lot of these companies feel like, Okay, yeah, we know it's not going to keep growing. Like the pandemic said it was, but it's going to continue the way it was coming out of those the previous ten years. That's just video games, baby, And I think they were not recognizing just how fortuitous of a time that they were living in where it was. And again, I've been talking about this a lot recently, where it's like there were so many ideas that they could just take off the shelf to make a ton of money, whether that was micro transactions or battle passes or Battle Royale or all you know, business models and game models that all enabled them to make a ton of money really fast, and you know, there was room for new games to come in and use those ideas. And now it just feels like everything saturated and and and so they thought the line was just gonna keep going up and and it just kind of flatlined a little bit. It didn't even go down. Spending is pretty much just in line with where it was, but boy, they thought it was going to go up way higher. So you're right, all those big investments, all those big bets looked real rough, and they are really rough right now. And so yeah, they're going to keep throwing people off the industry to try to save money. But you know, these companies are looking for growth, right listen, that that is what they want, and how were they going to get growth without having enough people to make brand new games that have new ideas. They are kind of sealing their fade.
Speaker 2: A little bit, right, Yeah, I think so, And I think, you know, before I even address that, I think it's incredibly frustrating, obviously, to see how many people are affected by this, and it's never the people who make those decisions. Now, you know, you look at these live service games and the people that worked on them, you know, the live service game, a game like Concord, that was the decision made up top to make that game, and then people made that game, and all of those people who worked on that game suffered when that game did not do well. And the person whose decision it was to make that game is probably still sitting in a corner office somewhere, you know, or.
Speaker 1: They're sitting at an inauguration.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, exactly. So I think that's incredibly frustrating for people. But yeah, I think the other I think this is the thing that sucks, right because every studio head and the people who are actually making these big money decisions and are affecting people's livelihoods. They always want number to go up, and like you, like you mentioned with live service micro transactions, not that I wanted, you know, pooh pooh on the difficulties of developing a game like that, But it is obviously a lot easier to take an existing model and apply it to a game and boom, you know, money, machine go.
Speaker 1: Boom, like it's the story of Fortnite.
Speaker 2: Yep, yeah, exactly. And I think a lot of studio heads have kind of, unfortunately leaned on this idea that you can you can get things made cheaply quickly if you follow this model, and they don't necessarily want to invest the time and the energy into something a little bit more bespoke that might take more time, that might require a more robust team. You know, they kind of want this like Skeleton Crew. You know. I think of it as like roadblocks too. You look at something like Roblocks that makes a ton of money, and it's you know, essentially child labor.
Speaker 1: It's a machine that a machine exploit, yes and where, and roadblocks it's kids, but on the industry's late it's the same thing. But for adults in the house better, I guess I don't know, yah, yeah.
Speaker 2: But that's what you can only hope that there's more, you know, the double A games will fill that gap, will expand a little bit more to kind of that's what we've always hoped. I think that we would have a robust sort of like several a twenty fours of gaming that are just making these these really cool, cheaper to make, really thoughtful, boundary pushing games. And I'm hoping that you know, somebody up top will kind of wake up, have like an aha moment and their sleep and realize that that's what gamers want too. Like they do want cool experiences, they do want to explore a new world. They don't necessarily need a one hundred hour open world with you know, six hundred quest lines and two thousand you know NPCs that you can interact with and fourteen million lines of dialogue. Like those numbers, like, that's not what people care about. They care about a really cool experience. And I think if you look at how much it's blossomed, how much the cost of making a game has blossomed, and how how little thought is put into what actually comes out from people all the way up top, it's incredibly frustrating because I would take a bad ass indie game over you know, another live service.
Speaker 1: Shooter, and it's like a certain pout, like what choice do we have anymore? It's like, that's just gonna be a bunch of slop from these corporations now. And that's how people feel about you'd soft games. They just think it's you'd be slop. And and you know, I think the what is happening is the rest of the industry is feeling more like Ubisoft than the then they're feeling more like cool, exciting indie games. Uh for the most part. You know, we're speaking broadly, but yeah, I mean I just think it's it's rotten to the core, right, it's rotten to the core core. We you know, look at like the way capitalism works right now, where uh they are set out to make as much money as possible within the confines of the rules, and uh and and that's it. That is their guiding principle. And so they'll do everything within those rules to make as much money possible. And we see what that leads to. Politically, It leads to you know, four or five tech executives sitting next to each other at the inauguration, being like, we need to do this to make as much money money as possible within the rules for the next four years, we have to do this, and so people need to understand we're no. You know, in five years, they're going to come back and be like, look, we just did what we had to do to make sure we can make as much money as possible so we can keep employing as many people as possible. We were trying to be trying to just navigate it. And it's like, yep, okay, so you are a symptom of a system and you are just behaving as a symptom. So who do I talk to to get this to change? Who do I speak to? It's not you. If you're just operating within the way you need to operate to make this whole system go around, who is your boss? And it's like, oh no, it's the whole system. It's rotten to the core. And that that same sort of thinking is what is leading us to the kinds of games we're getting to today. I don't know if people feel like that is a leap I'm making, It's not.
Speaker 2: No, it's not a leap. It's so connected and at the end of the day that this is like the stuff I've always I've been joking for the last like ten months that I've kind of felt like a girl in a horror movie that's on the other side of glass. I can see someone getting killed, but they can't hear me. Like I'm like, this is all connected, This is all connected, and it really is, like you can see like these studios making these decisions that are bad decisions, because in my mind, it's like a monopoly man who someone tells them to jail. Video games make a lot of money, and this guy's like one of these things these kidsl buy. The parents are blin for that, kids like millions, and they start, you know, like making these games and making these poor decisions for these games. Those people don't suffer when those games suffer. It's the lowest people on the ladder. And not only that, but the people who are angry at the perceived lack of quality of modern games. They get pointed to those people as well. So the people who have no protections, who have no job security, who don't have the ability to feel comfortable getting you know, streams of hate thrown at them, those are the people that get targeted and that's exactly what's happening on the administration level too. In politics. You know, it's like there's a lot wrong with this country, and it has to do with the foundations that are set here that have to do with capitalism and all of this stuff. But we're gonna blame immigrants, you know, We're gonna blame trans kids, and that's never the issue. The issue is that there's systems of power that put people untouchable all the way at the top, and until you actually turn around and point the finger at them, they're just going to keep making sure everyone Spider Man beaming each other, yeah, so that they're not in trouble. And it's it sucks, but it is one hundred percent connected, you know, the games industry and politics. Unfortunately, they go hand in hand.
Speaker 1: There was more out of that GDC survey. This one comes from Emrond Colin over at games Beet. Shout out to Mrond. More developers are making VR software for Apple Vision OS than PlayStation VR two. In this year's GDC State of the Industry Report, a massive and far reaching survey of game developers across all disciplines within the industry. Respondents were asked to detail their current and near future plans for their software among differing platforms. This of course, also includes virtual reality and augmented reality developers, who seem to largely be coalescing around Meta Quest and Steam VR as their primary landing zones for these technologies. That in itself is no surprise, as those two platforms also dominated the twenty twenty four VR and AR list. One notable change in dynamics, however, has been a flip between PlayStation VR ecosystem excuse me, incleaning both the original PlayStation four compatible headset and its PlayStation five successor, and the Apple Vision OS, which is exclusively used for Apple's Vision Pro headset. While last year the Vision Pro edged out the PlayStation headset by fifteen from fifteen percent to thirteen percent, and twenty twenty five, twenty six percent of respondents said they were working on Apple Vision OS software, well, twenty five percent are making efforts on PlayStation VR two. That was so that was last year. This year it is now fifteen percent to thirteen percent in favor of Apple Vision OS. Okay, so just pointing this out, that's like not a lot of people are working on Apple Vision OS games because very few people are buying that thing. I think the last word we heard was Apple is like sort of winding that down in such way. Maybe they have something more coming. But the thing, the three thousand dollars Apple Vision Pro that is out there right now is not a going concern for them really, And the VR PlayStation vir excuse me, VR two is getting even less support from developers, So to me, that just says both these things are kind of dead in the water. And I think we knew that, right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's just the barrier to entry is so high, and if people are already feeling like games have gotten more expensive and have not our income is not reflected in how more expensive games have gotten. I think when you look at something like VR, it's just it's too big of a barrier for so many people. And and and also the specificity of making a game in that world. You know, the amount of time and energy that has to go into you can't just poured it to other shit. You know, it's not meant for that.
Speaker 1: And even the other VR headsets now still have kind of weird differing technology, so it's a lot of work to go from one VR thing to the other.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's just it's expensive to bank, it's expensive to sell, it's expensive to buy. It's I think a lot of people, you know, like anything that seems technologically forward futuristic ly, you know, it's sort of it sort of became, ooh, what if I have an original PSVR headset that I got from when I used to work at games or Radar. And I mean I played that thing for like a week and then I was like, I've done. Like it's I don't really, I'm good. You know. It's like people would come over for part and I'd be like, please this thing right, Yeah, I don't want to set it up anymore, and like it's just out of the room in my apartment. It's also that too, like even if you have the money to get it, what if you don't, Like I don't have the space. Yeah, you need a lot of space.
Speaker 1: I have the space. I'm going to my basement down here in the suburbs of Cleveland. I have the space. And yet for years there's like a couple of games on the original PSVR that I want I want to play. There's one where you have a controller, you have the dual sense in your hand and you see it in the VR and it like it looks like your hands are trapped in cuffs inside of it and you have to like do a little like the room style game on the controller, pressing all the buttons to kind of get it to do things to unlock the cuffs. It's a really cool idea. I played it at a show and I'll play that when I get home. Never did, still intend to, and then I never beat the Astro VR Rescue Mission game. Want to do that, and so for years I tell myself I'll set that up and I haven't, and I'm like, I'm just gotta be honest. It's it's just enough of a hassle that I'm never going to do it. And I'm someone who's an enthusiast about this, So what is the casual person going to do. There's no way that they are going to go through the hassle of that. So yeah, mediquest makes it a bit easier, and that is also like that's good, but even that, every time you put on the headset and making sure it's ready to go and update it and then you have to go away from the world, something about that just feels like enough of a hassle as well that I think most people are like, I'm not sure if that's for me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I wonder if these you know, especially with applevision pro, if they kind of thought this would be more of like a tech bro buy and then you could sort of backdoor them into playing games on the device. But I just it didn't sell enough. So yeah, I think they've completely cut production down on it and everything. So it's just yeah, I mean we kind of I think a lot of us in the industry knew that VR was not going to explode the way that I think companies did, and it's still like has I know that there's an enthusiast community of VR gamers, but it's small, and yeah, I don't think it can hold up you know, extensive developments.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I just I like VR. I hope it continues to find a place. I think it will. Long term, it's going to go through a probably a weird side path than what I think we originally imagined it was going to take. But for now, when people think of video games, it's still going to be the video games that everyone is used to. And now at that point that's mobile and PC and console and all that. All right, let's take a quick break. When we come back, let's talk about the kinds of games that people buy or maybe don't buy on mobile, and a few other things, including maybe the switch to being more powerful than we think right after this, all right, we're right back into it. Let's do it, And as promised, Resident Evil to remake has sold fewer than ten thousand copies on iOS according to some estimates. This is from Chris Sculling at VGC. And if this story sounds familiar, we have talked about this before. I think with Resident Evil four and seven and maybe eight, a bunch of Resident Evil games got ported to iOS. Now they only work on chat help me out here. It's iPhone fifteen and above, iPhones sixteen and above. There is something something like it only works on a handful of devices. So it's a limited audience that can potentially get these things. And yet they do sell millions of every single kind of iPhone, so there's plenty of people out there, more so than some consoles. Still, so fifteen above, Thank you, jan. Ten thousand copies is not a lot. I think this is illustrates a couple of problems Alyssa. I think we talk about for a long time Hey, these people at these companies are afraid to invest in long term on the console because they are looking around and they're like, your phone is as powerful as a console, and you'll just use that to play these games. And so five hundred dollars to spend on a console doesn't make a ton of sense. And so if we want these games to continue to thrive, they need to just kind of be able to be on anything. And now Residentaval too is on anything, and no one's buying it on there, and I just think it's OK. It is one thing to say the phone is as powerful as a console. It's another thing to say the kind of person that is going to be buying games on a phone even exists, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, and look there are there are game Yes, a phone is as powerful as a console. Sure, but sure it's also just the it's the it's the medium, like we were talking about Ballatro, like Blatter's perfect phone game. You know, it's it's simple, it's clean, it's easy to see. It feels like a just a phone game that was there, but better. But something like Resident Evil, which I think you know inherently needs mood, it needs you need to be playing it like either in a place that's dark and gloomy or just like comfortable so that you can be scared. I don't know. I can't imagine any of the intention of a resident Evil game translating well onto a phone in any way, shape or form, And so I think it's also horror game enthusiasts are our niche, at least in terms of the way a company would look at a gamer consumer, And I think, yeah, assuming that they would be the kind of person who would spend money on a game for their phone when it exists elsewhere is strange, especially since I mean they discounted it heavily for the first like month it was out right, and then it went out, so yeah, and then it was like forty dollars to buy a phone game. I don't know if that's you're going to get people spending that in micro transactions on a phone game, but I don't think you're going to get someone buying a game full out, like for.
Speaker 1: Forty My Super Mario Brothers Run like that was ten dollars, and that was I think it was a notable failure because it's just like even Mario, we don't want to buy that, like we'll download the free thing that you're giving us here, we'll play it, and then when ask us to spend money, goodbye. And I you know, we could talk about all the reasons that people feel that way when they're using their phone. You know, I think it is it goes back to speaking about the way that the capitalism, just the business fills in the gap that you provide for it. And on on phone it's like, hey, we are going to fill in this gap where it's like we see the path to make the most money possible is give them the game for free, try to charge money for micro transactions, find some whales, and then just go to cash those checks for the next several years. And that taught an audience what to expect on those devices, and there's kind of no one doing that. You have to build a culture around your consumer electronics devices, as stupid as that sounds, but you have to to kind of convince people that spending their money and investing their time and their money and something is going to be worth it. So when you pick up device, that feeling you have about like what you're expecting to get out of it in that moment is very important. So when you pick up a switch, and you're like, oh, I'm picking this up to play games, and they're real, big games made by real developers, and I can imagine the companies and I care about them and stuff like that. All that creates an environment where people are willing to spend fifty to seventy dollars on games and the phone just everything feels disposable. And you know who's to blame for that, Well, it's it's the corporation's created that environment in the first place, and they raced to that place. I mean that remembering early smartphone games and the race to ninety nine cents so you could be at the top of the of the charts. And then after that was like someone figured it out free to play, and that that was the whole story. And there again, no one doing that, right No.
Speaker 2: And it's also just so strange because, like you're saying, filling in these gaps, but it's like, who do you think is your your your folk? Who are you focusing on as a consumer for a mobile game? Right? Are you focusing on someone that doesn't play video games that now realizes they have a video game console in their pocket. And if that's the case, why would you think that like a big budget triple A. You know, dense, dentse in every sense of the term visually dense, you know, story dense, a gameplay dnse. Why would you think anything like that would be a doorway for people who don't play video games regularly to start because they would play it on their phone. For me, and I'm not you know, I don't, I don't have a I don't own a business. Nobody pays me big bucks to make bad decisions. Uh, for me, I would think that you would rather be doing this sort of twee cozy game approach of putting all things that might feel at home on a switch on mobile rather than going for the island.
Speaker 1: A venture game did very well on Apple Arcade and you have a subscription.
Speaker 2: Exactly, and and listen, there there are a lot of uh, there are a lot of mobile gamers that are women. And uh, you know, obviously I don't believe in girl games versus boy games, but yes, there are women. There are women who prefer to play cozy games and stuff like that. And I think I think you should be you should be focusing more on these these right bold more simple in every sense of the word, games that are still full budget, you know, full blown Triple A games, but it just they translate better to me to mobile. It's such a strange thing because if you're focusing on someone who doesn't play video games normally. Again, yeah, I can't imagine them being like, oh, I want to play Assassin's Creed Mirage. I've never heard of this before, and I want to play it on my on my phone on the train. It's strange. It's a strange thing. And again, it's like you're saying, it just feels like somebody woke up, had an idea and then they went go with it, go with it, go with it, do it.
Speaker 1: And it's like why, Yeah, And you know, I'm sure that I guess I'm not sure. I guess that Apple probably paid Capcom to do this. Just doesn't feel like that Apple style. I you know, part of me is like, maybe Capcom just want to do experiment, but they keep doing it over and over again. So I parties like this must have been to the multi game deal. Someone at Apple just made happen. There's a ton of people working there and this probably just accidentally happened at some point. Yeah, I think that we, like the industry is going to keep changing. The way people come to games is going to keep changing. I for a while there, we've known that, and we kept saying it's like, oh, if we want to keep getting games like Restident Evil, we need to put them on something like a phone, and that will mean we keep getting them. And it's like, God, I hope that's not the case. I hope there's some other answer there, because those people are just not going to buy those games, and rightfully so they don't appeal to them. So I hope we continue to get Resident Evil games because we keep buying them on console and PC and that continues to be enough. But we'll see. Yeah, all right. Ninja five ohs Nintendo Switch release dates set for February. This is just an old Game Boy Advance game that I like quite a bit. It's from Konami. It was a really good action game. It kind of became a sleeper hit on the GBA where a lot of people like, when you say, hey, what's the game most people haven't played on GBA that they should, this one always comes up. Well. Apparently the physical version that was put out by I think Limited Run Games that began to ship last month, so people got their hands on that. Now, the digital version is going to come out on February twenty fifth, twenty twenty five, so looking forward to that. I'm a big Ninja five oh fan. All right, let's get to this next one. We are beginning to run a time here. Why switch to is significantly more powerful, According to one game developer. This is from Blair Marnell at Game Spot, the first look at Nintendo Switch two didn't have much in the way of game footage, except for a brief glimpse at a new Mario Kart. Ordinary players may be able to appreciate that the preview of what Switch two can do, but one game developer has broken down how the footage exposes the sheer power of Nintendo's next system. Sungrind Studio's Gerald Doulay, whose previous credits include the Silver Falls game series, shared his extended look at the Switch two's capabilities. Doulay has experienced work has experienced working on titles for the original Switch, so the difference between the console generations was readily apparent to him. The two most important things he pointed out were the true volume volume metric lighting and advanced lighting technique that creates a sense of density in the atmosphere and the extremely detailed and unique textures on the backgrounds. Because the first iteration of switch would struggle to run either of those features at a high frame rate, Delay noted their inclusion suggest that this system is significantly more powerful. He also estimated that the RAM for the switch to will be between twelve and sixteen gigabytes, which I think rumors put it at fourteen. I think, yeah, I think that's right. Yeah. Additionally, do I noted the real time creation of shadows, cloth simulation on the flags in the background, reflective textures, and the higher polygon counts on the character models for Mario and his friends. Yeah, I think this is where we're at though, right A lista where we do have to kind of like have an expert come in and look at the details to tell the difference, because when I still look at it, it's like, yeah, that's Mario Kart. That is that's Mario Kart, and the vast majority of people are going to feel that way now. Even I began to notice some stuff as I watched that trailer a couple more times, and I mentioned this on another show recently, But the characters have a bounce and give to them, sort of like Mario and Mario Wonder or the characters in Luigi's Mansion three, so that they kind of stretch and deform and then bounce back down when they like land a jump or something like that. And the carts have that as well. They like there's more bring to them, and so, uh, it just made the animations feel more lively alone. So there's just a lot more going on in this game. But I don't know if that animation tech spoke to the more powerful switch to the volumetric lighting some of this other stuff does. But do you think this is going to make much of a difference for a switch to or is this system just kind of it is what it needs to be, right?
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean, first of all, I will point out I did not realize that that was the guy they were using as their as their source. He's an interesting person.
Speaker 1: I have no idea about him.
Speaker 2: Tell me about it, Yeah, I don't. I only I recognized him very briefly because I believe he wrote a song about me.
Speaker 1: Oh it's very interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's uh, he's he he leans a certain way. Oh say, but that doesn't mean that we should discount everything that he's saying here, I'm sure every once in a while, yeah, exactly, you know, but I think this is always so interesting to me, right because this is like our job to pay attention to these these things in terms of whether it's stronger, more powerful, what it can do on like a on like a level of consumer I don't know how many people notice care those little things will notice it. You'll notice it after watching the trailer a couple couple of times, but how much of a difference will it actually make. I think the ways that it will feel tangible for people are our load times or things like that that'll translate to like, oh this feels better, this feels stronger, Oh this is this is loading up fast. Oh this feels good.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: Otherwise yeah, I think I think until you show something like that, like like imagine just like the simple little Nintendo sound and it's the switch, the original switch and the switch to powering up the same game, and just seeing them side by side, that could do something I think for people that that would translate more than again, I think this was just such a weird Nintendo makes such weird decisions when when they do stuff like this. Because also the trailer in and of itself, was just like you picked the beige flat place for this. This is your visual spectacle guy.
Speaker 1: We used to have rooftop parties and now we have this. Yeah, yeah, like what so?
Speaker 2: I think I think it probably a signal ificuely more powerful. They've been sitting on this for a while. What does that mean for the average person who knows? I think it'll translate for some people. But I'm also the kind of person that, like, I don't even I don't even notice like fps things unless I'm unless I'm playing like a highly competitive shooter. So I'm a bad person to speak to that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it is. I think you're right though most people this will not register for the most part. I think for most people that are getting the switch to they want to know what games are going to be able to be played on it that will matter to them, And I think maybe the good news to those people is at twelve to sixteen gigabytes of RAM, that is going to be the biggest difference maker. Don't You don't need to understand why, you just need to know. Developers really did not like the limited amount of RAM on the switch. One that was the biggest complaint and having more memory though, RAM will ensure that a lot more games will be able to be ported to the switch to, and it'll make the lives of developers who have to do that parting and making new games of the switch to a lot easier. So easier time for devs means more games for you. So this is probably what you want to hear. And I suppose we didn't need a weirdo to tell us that, but oh well, that's how it goes sometimes in video.
Speaker 2: Games, Melyssa, Right, yeah, it really do be like that.
Speaker 1: It do be that way sometimes unfortunately. All right, let's see, do I want to do this one? Yeah, games coming to game Pass to January. Lonely Mountain snow Riders. I love the Lonely Mountain game that came out several years ago. It was like you rode a bike downhill and there was like a yeah, there was a leaderboard element to it, but you could also just play it as a chill game. And I also I love snow, so this I'm very excited about Lonely Mountain snow Riders that's out now. Okay, I'm gonna go play that. Gigantic Rampage Edition is coming January twenty second, Starbound. We'll hit console and cloud game Pass on January twenty second. Eternal Strands orcs Must Die, Shady part of Me. Sniper Elite Resist is going to launch into game Pass, so its Citizen Sleeper, two, Star Wars Vector far right, New New Dawn is joining, and then uh yeah, let's see here and then okay, then on game Pass Standard. So this is not like game Pass Ultimate where you get every new game that launches day one these this is like a library of games, including in game Pass Standard that includes Kunitsugami, Path of the Goddess, Magical Delicacy to Chia, Chia, Yeah, Chia, the Case of the Golden Idol, and Flock and Boy. I like a lot of those games. Pepper Goddess is good, Chia is fantastic. Case of Golden Idol must play. So yeah, everyone should go out there and check those out. Pretty pretty good time for game Pass, A thing that feels like it is becoming less and less of an emphasis for Xbox. But at least, I mean the support.
Speaker 2: You can't argue with that, right, No, no, and it is it's still a good deal. I mean it may not be a good deal. For the for the developers, the studios an Xbox, that's a good deal for the gamer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, the developers Xbox, You're right, those ones. That's who's a specifically pro. Probably not a good deal for Capcom. Keeps coming back to it, right. The third party developer seemed to love it, Like if you're making a game that also has to sell and you work at Xbox, it's oh, this is rough stuff. Yeah, all right, a poll question, we have that here somewhere. Let's go ahead and bring that up. Okay, are you disappointed that Sony canceled Bluepoints Live service God of War game? Again? Let me bring that up for everybody. I'm going to vote no. Let's see if anyone voted yes. Five percent of people voted yes that they are disappointed that Sony canceled Bluepoints, a live service God of War game. I am disappointed for the people that had to spend that time working on it. And I also bet that had we seen it, have we had a chance to like like glean the ideas that they had come up with for this game, I bet we would have been impressed. I bet it was pretty solid stuff. But yeah, ninety five percent of people did not want this boy. That just speaks to that mismanagement again. Huh right, Melissa, It's yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know, it's strange because I think if you had a bunch of people who actually were directly involved in the industry making these higher up decisions, I think a lot of people could have told you they'd been getting sick of live service games long before people started putting a lot of money into them. But you know, then something like Marvel Rivals happens and shuts me up. But that's that's that's a rarity that is not the norm. And you have to consider Rivals being free to play an established ip, you know, and and essentially just being an Overwatch killer as why it's so popular, and how it's almost impossible to strike that catch, that lightning with anything else right now. So I get it. It's just sucks for the people who were employed to work on this game, and there's going to be a gap now because everyone's turning around and going, you shit, delete the live service, delete the live service stuff. And there's a lot of that. There was a lot of that in development.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then it's like, okay, and now what do we pitch to the Sony Executive's next that they want to hear, and there's nothing, no one, no one knows. And that's the scariest part. It's like, well, stop working on the thing we thought they wanted because they don't want it anymore, and so now what do we try to make that they do want? Oh boy, that's scared.
Speaker 2: And you're still going to have people up top who were like, so after they buy the game, how do they how do we get more money? And then being like, no, this is just a it's a single player campaign, it's an opening shut It's going to be great, and they're like, we.
Speaker 1: Can charge one hundred dollars to get played three days early? Is that good? You like that?
Speaker 2: Really? Get a special skin? You want a digital art?
Speaker 1: I have a new pole question. We'll get to that here in a second. Before we do that, though a listener content, why don't you tell people where they can find you on the internet what you have going on? Any special special messages here for anybody? Let me know.
Speaker 2: So I'm a listamer Kante, I am at alyssa underscore mark on the hell site x, which is actually Twitter. I'm on a blue sky with my name Alissa, mrk and I am live streaming on twitch a listamrk. I will be doing that right after this. I like to do a little mix of game news and gaming, kind of trying to bridge the gap between games journalists and twitch streamers and see what kind of world that is for us. It's an interesting one, but yeah, that's what I'm doing. I'm also on Patreon a listamer conte and yeah, if anyone wants me to write anything cool, just hit me up. I'm freelancing.
Speaker 1: Awesome, excellent. Yeah, everybody go make sure you give all listen some love. Thank you so much for doing the show. Let's see here new poll question. Have you ever spent more than ten dollars to buy a game for your mobile device? Yes? Or no? We will discuss this on Games Mornings here on Giant Bomb tomorrow. Speaking a Giant Bomb. Later today we will kick off the latest season yet again of Blake Club. Dan has already finished up Terminator, that was just two episodes. You finished that. He is now going on to Drake of I think it's Drake of the ninety nine Dragons, which I think we're going to call Reikert of the ninety nine Dangins. We got to pick the stupidest name every time, so I think we succeeded this time. So we'll get that going here at the normal time, which I think is three pm Eastern noon Pacific. You won't want to miss it. Of course. This is a infamously bad game. It is a game that people really really always bring up. Is one of the worst games of all time, and especially the Xbox version, which is what Dan will be starting with. If it breaks. If it stops working, which is a distinct possibility, we're giving him permission to restart it on PC, so he does have at least one outlet. We'll see how that goes. All right, that's gonna be a good time. Listen, thank you so much for hanging out with me today and talking about video games. I really appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Thank you for having me. I always appreciate you.
Speaker 1: Of course, anytime we'll make it happen again. Thank you once one more time. Thank you to everybody who was listening and watching. You were the best audience in gaming. Until next time, have a good one, take care of yourself, and goodbye.